>"what do you mean you cant do that anon?"
>"what do you mean you code takes 7 days to do it"
>"I though you were good with computers"
>laptop requires non-free firmware
I'll add some of my favorites! :)
That's all I can think of! Hope you guys like my list!!
IPFS thread. Please pay attention to me senpai~ edition.
>What is IPFS?
It's basically BitTorrent on steroids.
>why would one use it
* Same file is accessed with the same hash across whole IPFS and everyone you can reach who has it seeds it. You aren't stuck in one Torrent swarm. Let's say you download a folder, and then it turns out there are some issues with it. If you download a better one you don't have to dl same files again. Individual files you already dl'd are cached. You don't have to move anything, it'll just work. (Don't shove your shit in RARs faggot.)
* You can have an both immutable and mutable addresses, kinda like a Torrent that you can update on the fly.
* As a result you can host static websites (like in Freenet).
* Smaller files that traditionally "aren't worth a torrent" can be viably hosted with IPFS.
* Because it's like a 1 huge torrent, peers are found fast for new downloads. You don't need to wait that much to start a download.
* You can watch your animu while it automatically downloads and seeds. Just point your player to the local link. It's super-fast!
>how to upload a single file
$ ipfs add ./$file
Access it at http://127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/$outputted-hash
>how to upload a dir
$ ipfs add -r ./$dir
Access it at http://127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/$last-outputted-hash
>how to make the thing mutable
$ ipfs name publish ./$file-or-dir-hash
Access it at http://127.0.0.1:8080/ipns/$output-hash-aka-peerid (it's ipNs not ipFs)
To update, publish another hash and it will be available at the same IPNS address.
>gateways (how to access IPFS if you don't have it installed)
https://gateway.ipfs.io/, https://gateway.glop.me/, http://ipfs.pics (just pics?)
Daily reminder to pin files that you care about.
IPFS now supports CRDTs and pubsub channels, making fully dynamic content on IPFS totally possible! Try out orbit.chat (#ipfschan channel) or check out the code at https://github.com/orbitdb/orbit for an example!
IPFSCHAN W H E N?
it'd be nice if this at least got some traction in file sharing (where bittorrent is currently being used)
it's perfectly suitable for it;
- chunks large files for parallel downloading
- deduplication, no more separate swarms for the exact same file because they're on different torrents
- free batches/bundles due to deduplication
also makes perfect sense for software/game update systems, for those reasons as well as local sharing, multiple machines on a lan updating the same thing? you can save time and bandwidth as it will only get the data once over the WAN, sharing amongs local machines... locally
So I just stuck my hand in the back of a computer power supply and got shocked my hand. Am I ok, I get paranoid, so should I just take Clonazepam and forget about it.
The Unisys 486 power supply is open backed.
Do you regret trying to break into the tech industry now that people like this are given preferential treatment both in hiring and by the federal government which gives them protected class demigod status?
>Linux is difficult to learn
Why doesn't JADEC just fuck off and use GiB like you're supposed to?
Fuck you. Metric is inherently base 10. Stop trying to apply it's conventions to base 2.
>b-b-but we made up a dumb word we want you to us-
FUCK OFF NIGGER YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING COPYRIGHT ON PREFIXES
Why doesn't ISO (and anyone else who thinks this is okay) just fuck off, ban the usage of kibibibibytes and stop memeing muh SI into this? That was the orginal way, which worked perfectly well until some bumfucked retard decided that SI-compliant terminology is more important than practicality. And now we have people thinking it's acceptable to sell 3.7ish TB drives as 4 (((TB))).
Installed unbound on openwrt, how to check if the thing works
i didn't configure anything just ran this shell script
besides this i also got DNScrypt. just throwing this out there in case it conflicts or some bs. at least DNScrypt still works.
resolv.conf was disabled bc of dnscrypt
what do you mean dig drill and change
so recently nodejs was forked, and the core team split, because some feminists and transgenders were offended (pic related)
they created ayojs, which will focus on appropriate use of pronouns, instead of writing actual code
but most importantly, they need our help in designing a new logo
Any of you backup either your Instapaper or Evernote?
Seems like both lock in your data unless you have it duplicated somehow.
Thanks - do you prefer either?
And what about for scanning/digitizing documents? My main reason for using Evernote was I could quickly scan a document, have it automatically OCR'd, and available on any device. Not sure there's any other way to do this.
Waterproof laptops when?
Has /g/ ever attached little heatsinks to their laptop heatsink so they could stay cooler?
I did once. I used to have this laptop where the GPU heatsink was a flat metal tube. I put a heatsink from a mobo chipset inside of it to get some fin area. It didn't really help, I think it restricted the airflow too much.
This music player ain't half bad.