[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/qsg/ - Quest Thread General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 568
Thread images: 66

File: 1462883113985.jpg (43KB, 370x346px) Image search: [Google]
1462883113985.jpg
43KB, 370x346px
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's.

Older thread: >>106218

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord server (going well so far):
https://discord.gg/0zE5SDpEB4RQRNyY

>QM question:
Did you consider running anything else before the Quest you're currently running and what was it?

>Player question:
What 'themes' do you think more quests should explore and why?
>>
And good historical quests?
>>
File: k002.jpg (93KB, 579x556px) Image search: [Google]
k002.jpg
93KB, 579x556px
I have a developed setting for a quest I would love to run, but haven't lost my QM virginity. I don't want to "waste" my best ideas first with the expectation that inexperience will guarantee my first quest is shit.

How do I get out of this mindset and just fucking make something? It's been two and a half years and I'm still brainstorming with no schedule to start.
>>
>>134277
Then run something you have a slight interest in and learn from the experience.Can't be worse than all the new ones popping up my noobies.
>>
>>134248
>Did you consider running anything else before the Quest you're currently running and what was it?

Yes. It's a quest that involves commanding 2 characters and solving puzzles that involved cooperation between the two. The catch is each poster can only command 1 character at a time while at the same time the inputs are randomly selected via rolls to keep things interesting (or frustrating).
>>
>>134267
I'd say Crusader Quest is what you're looking for if Historical themes is your forte.

>>134277
If you're worried that your inexperience will ruin it for you, I suggest reading more successful quests and take not of their mistakes and learn from them. To quote Groucho Marx:

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”

Or follow the advise of this other anon and run something simple (a one-shot perchance?) and dip your toes in the water to see how to feels.
>>
Sorry about not being able to post my thread this weekend. Having family stuff going down. It will return Tuesday and I'm constantly thinking of different ways to make it better.

If you want to catch up on what my quest was here:
First:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/44086/
Second:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/78892/

If you didn't know that I would not post until Tuesday you should start to follow me on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/Kov_QM
>>
File: 1458393667292.jpg (33KB, 277x314px) Image search: [Google]
1458393667292.jpg
33KB, 277x314px
>tfw you can't post here from your phone on 4G because you shitpost too much and still need a way to announce threads
>>
>>134314
Bad publicity is still publicity, I guess?
>>
>>134331
There's really not that much people on this board, but I still wanted to give it a shot.
>>
>>134336
Define "not that much people" because I'd say 150+ posters is a decent amount of people, but then again, I don't know what the normal number is for boards like /tg/.
>>
>>134277
Holy shit, are you the DICE anon from last thread? I'm keen for you to start, if so
>>
What should QM prepare before making a quest with drawing?
>>
>>134456
Are you looking for a free4all type of quest or do you plan on a more structured draw quest with a main plot?
>>
>>134464
Is there something in-between?
>>
>>134314
Turn on and off Flight mode to change IPs.
>>
>>134424
Afraid not.
>>
Any one knows how to use sup/qst/?
>>
Avery Agejo part 2 when?
>>
File: im-a-loose-cannon-1-728.jpg (42KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
im-a-loose-cannon-1-728.jpg
42KB, 728x546px
What is essential for a buddy cop action/comedy quest?
>>
>irc channels are not dead
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>134488
You could put in the setting and the MC's origin story but not so detailed or specific that the players won't be able to mold the character with you but at the same time not too malleable that the players can 100% completely change the MC into an entirely different character.

Usually I see QMs tend to insert a sense of standards and morality to the MC, Something that they will never ever do. Like for example making a paladin-like character work as a prostitute for money.

On the opposite end the MC might also have quirks and tendencies. Something that the MC will find too irresistible to not do even when most of the player-base shouts "no!". Like drugs or pushing big red buttons.

On a the middle ground of things sometimes QMs do dice rolls or majority votes for action if the player-base is too stubborn to let something go. The more against the MC's personality the action is the more the QM makes the roll's success rate difficult to succeed in.
_________
Getting back to your original question; Make it simple and still nice looking. Just avoid doing drawings that would take more than 30+ minutes to draw for your skill level. Make objects, people and things you want your players to interact to more noticeable on the drawing and vice versa but not too much because it'll make you look too pushy.
>>
>>134544
There is a box called Add Thread with a button that sends you to the Request Interface page. Follow the instructions on that page and you can get your quest archived on sup/tg/'s /qst/ archive.
>>
>>134267
There is the Birth of a Civilization one.
>>
>Giving your players severe trust issues along the way as they progress.

Is it a good or a bad thing?
>>
>>134839
In my experience it might be fun to poke them or see them throw fear tantrums once in a while, but it never ends well if they don't trust you.
>>
Genocide quest up to part 3. >>134169
The rolls have been abysmal so far, Fun day.

>QM question
A lot of things actually. Was thinking of doing something more sci-fi mech action-ish, or sci-fi ship battle related.

>player question
I hardly have time to play quests so i cant say what the board is lacking.
>>
>>134886
there are subtle clues here and there. it is not lolrandomXD

but i guess you are right
>>
>>134934
Subtle clues don't work in quests.
>>
File: kk.jpg (106KB, 709x623px) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
106KB, 709x623px
>>134934

I'm pretty sure my players don't trust me >>116583 I feel like that is a big part of the game's heart though. I think it's the same with quests as with books: If you pretend like it's a feel-good fantasy story or something, they are going to be angry if the villain wins or something sick like that. If you're fucking with them from the first moment, they are going to keep coming back for just that. Then again, my game might still go completely to hell just any day now.

Anyway, to turn this into an ad for my game, it's never too late to join my quest >>116583 Please catch up!!!!!
>>
>>134277
Just do it and stop being a faggot about it.
>>
So what's with these IDs, why does anyone even bother being anon if we got this crap.
>>
>>134248
Threads about quests go here
>>>qst
Please follow the rules presented to you and do not try to make up your own. That helps nobody.
>>
>>135195
It's to discourage samefagging. We've said this a hundred times.
>>
>>134624
Thx m8.
>>
>>135089
They do if your quest is good enough for players to be properly vested in them.
>>
>>134248
>QM question
I have a viking-themed one on the back burner still before I started this one

>Player question
More first-person space operas, like DAQ was.
>>
>>134277
Just do it, man. I was in the same boat as you for a long time, then just started one. It wasn't the one I'd been planning, but it's going well anyway. I found it got way easier when I fell into it
>>
>>135240
But that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>135394
Not really. Most people aren't internet savvy enough or actually willing to spare the effort needed to change IDs. Again, he said discourage samefagging, not eliminate it entirely. IDs help.
>>
File: my_trip_to_thailand.png (642KB, 364x750px) Image search: [Google]
my_trip_to_thailand.png
642KB, 364x750px
>>134248
>What 'themes' do you think more quests should explore and why?

Absurdity, but not with a comedic bent. Basically the idea that reality itself is insane regardless of its inhabitant's mental state.
>>
>>134490
Turning off mobile data as far as I'm aware also changes IPs.
>>
>Want to start a quest
>Spend hours writing out the history of the world and the backstories of the characters
Every day I tell myself "todays the day i'm gonna run it" I realize "oh wait I didn't write out this part of the lore enough" and spend the day doing that
autism sucks
>>
>>135771
I started a quest, and I have literally no support lorewise. Just run it.
>>
>>135771
Try it now. If do it after you write a bunch of shit and nobody shows up to play, you won't feel too good about it.
>>
>>135771
Same here. I'm not even sure I'll run it anymore.

Looking back, I'm pretty sure I went full autist months ago and now I'm just worldbuilding for its own sake. The possibility of running a quest in the setting is just a minor side benefit at this point.
>>
Hey /qst/ I'm thinking of doing some kind of space exploration civ game with three civs, but each has a different method of travel and different starting techs.
> Civ A: Fusion Propulsion
> Civ B: Beam Powered Propulsion
> Civ C: ??? Electrostatic?

Any physicsfags wanna help me classify different theoretical propulsion systems for interstellar travel? Thanks
>>
>>135854
Isn't interstellar travel within a feasible amount of time not covered by our current understanding of physics? As far as I know, only theoretical stuff like wormholes, matter-antimatter propulsion and negative mass exploitation actually works.

You're probably gonna have to abandon hard science and come up with some sort of Eezo-tier bullshit mechanic.
>>
>>135937
Well, I think theres creative ways of getting around the time constraint
> Cryogenics
> Generations of clones
> Robots

I'm just spitballing anyway
>>
>>135771
On this note, would anyone care to read the lore/history of my setting and give their opinion?

http://pastebin.com/RqiD593H
>>
>>135937
Perhaps theoretical along with realistic but somewhat futuristic engines to reach FTL speeds
>>
How do I roll :(
>>
>>136081

The "crying blood" shtick might get pretty edgy if you don't pull it off just right.

The names are outright silly. Calling elven cities SomethingElfia is something a 5-year-old would come up with while expecting people to take it seriously. Same with starting the name of every city with Chie- or names like Homnus, Moire and Vyvyne.

There is too much emphasis on boring details like how the human revolution came about and none at all on possibly more interesting aspects like the origins of the races, the continent elves came from, how magic and technology works, etc.

Basically the world you paint has minimal sense of wonder. All I'm seeing now is a bare-bones turn-based strategy map with ASCII instead of any actual images, and none of the humor or ingenuity that made DF work like that. What little detail you give is generic fantasy that does nothing to stand out from everything else.

I rate it 3/10. Good effort... if you're 14 years old.
>>
File: 144417769255[1].jpg (18KB, 510x430px) Image search: [Google]
144417769255[1].jpg
18KB, 510x430px
I want to run a shitty quest. So far I have the following in mind:
>A premise
>An end goal for the players
>A backstory for the protagonist
>A setting (sort of)
Is that enough to start a quest or do I need to think it out even further? I don't want to restrict the freedom of my players.
>>
>>136217
Thanks for giving it a read. Names are always hard for me, how would you recommend things be named? For the Elven language, I used Russian as a base: "Chielovek" is Russian for "Person/Human", which is why it is a prefix.

I wanted to focus more on what has recently happened in the history of the world as well as the description of the human lands since that would be most relevant to players. I'll take your advice and give more thought to the origins of the world, the nature and function of magic, and the history of the Elven lands.

Thanks again for taking a look.
>>
>>136242
It's enough. Run it.
>>
File: 1455931962779.jpg (169KB, 960x1033px) Image search: [Google]
1455931962779.jpg
169KB, 960x1033px
>>136275
There isn't really a set method I know of. I just usually look into old-timey names from whatever culture I'm seeking to emulate, distorting it or mixing and matching with other cultures until it "feels" right. For characters I often outright copy and paste from history. Here's a tab I happened to have open right now: http://www.20000-names.com/index.htm

I suck with names as well, though. The best I got is stuff like Selvinium, Asteri, Prodenia, Varshan, Einöd... If that sounds bad to you, you're probably right, so feel free to call me a faggot and disregard my advice.

You probably don't have to detail the history of the Elven continent if you want to give it a vague feel. Or go full-on detailed campaigns if you enjoy putting some focus on that kinda stuff. Up to you. Same with the Dwarves. And the Chinks, who intrigued me especially.

Also, congratulations on not getting buttflustered. You probably have what it takes to run a quest here.

Oh, and /tg/ occasionally has worldbuilding threads going on with similar resources and advice posted. Might want to check it out if you like conworlding.
>>
>>136242
>I don't want to restrict the freedom of my players.
Then less is more.
What you have is a pretty good groundwork for players to screw around in, so I say just go for it now.
>>
>>136242
Keeping things going by the seat of your pants is an essential QM skill. Go for it.
>>
File: 1457059647581.png (755KB, 767x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457059647581.png
755KB, 767x720px
>>136365
>>136393
It's pretty late in my timezone. If I don't pussy out tomorrow I'll try running it.
I'm afraid of being harshly judged and called a faggot for having a shit quest
>>
>>136440
We're all faggots here, specifically questfags.
>>
>>136440
You'll most likely experience something much worse.

No one will participate.

No one will care.

You will have two to five players.

You'll quit less than five threads in.

Or you'll be an idiot and run forever despite all that.
>>
>>136440
You probably will be.

But that's when you take a look at the catalog and compare your quest to some of the shit that's out there and gain a confidence boost.
>>
>>136440
>I'm afraid of being harshly judged and called a faggot for having a shit quest
Man just look at the rest of the quests here. Literally 0 good ones, and I'm including mine.

My advice is to just try not to go whole hog on infodumping right off the bat. Let the players explore it themselves.
>>
>>136081
I don't think the crying blood thing is that edgy. Just slap some red lines on any mask used in the religion. It's only if the rituals involve blood in some manner that things COULD get ridiculous.

The names are a bit off, yeah.

Fairly standard history, it's how the details develop that will stand out more than what actually happened.

Most of this info is not relevant to the start of your quest.

Within the first few posts, you need to imply that
>elves are more magical
>humans have guns, but they're a new thing from foreign lands
>religion is serious business
>a lot of wars happened and everybody hates elves

From there, you can dripfeed hints about what really caused the wars, and show how humans and elves are very familiar with each other to contrast these new dwarves.

I would even go so far as to suggest not having that pastebin up at the very start. The implication of required reading would not go over very well. Once the main points are covered, you can put up the timeline "for those who want to know more or want the information already provided in organised form"
>>
File: 16.1.jpg (181KB, 741x1024px) Image search: [Google]
16.1.jpg
181KB, 741x1024px
For those interested, an update on the Paladin of Avalon is up.
http://anonkun.com/stories/the-paladin-of-avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/25-seekers/7nJaEpe86aer5Sn74
>>
SUDSQUEST is autosaging but almost finished. Get in here.

>>136793
>>136793
>>
>>136820
>>136820
>>136820

Beleaguered Prince Quest is on.
>>
File: IT IS GO TIME.png (572KB, 959x681px) Image search: [Google]
IT IS GO TIME.png
572KB, 959x681px
Gonna shill a bit:
>>136946
>>136946
>>136946

I don't even know if I linked that right, because man do i suck at working formatting.
>>
File: Lombardy.png (97KB, 559x691px) Image search: [Google]
Lombardy.png
97KB, 559x691px
One of the ideas I'm mulling over is a sort of "Cyberpunk PI" quest with magical elements. However, anons in previous QTGs have stated that the Mystery genre won't work in quest form if the players can't deduce the QM's intentions from the information given to them. My solution to this would be a short list of contacts the players can call during downtime, a la Metal Gear codec. That way the players can bounce ideas off a different character or beg for hints, rather than asking the QM directly.

Ideally this would only come into play if the players feel like they aren't making progress, but if I don't introduce it alongside the quest's other mechanics it may come across as an asspull. At the very least, it seems superior to railroading or advancing without player agency.

Thoughts?
>[ ] Good Idea
>[ ] Bad Idea
>[ ] Unnecessary Spoonfeeding
>>
>>137018
>unnecessary spoonfeeding
Write down the context, the mystery, and a list of clues. Then give it to a friend or 2 and see if they can solve it.
>>
>>137157
I'm afraid I cannot consult my friends, for they aren't real.
>>
>>137184
Go join discord or irc?
Or drop down a throwaway email. I like mysteries.
>>
through the power of DEUS VULT I summon Historical fiction to tell us weither or not he's alive

DEUS VULT!
>>
>>137018
My only concern is if that it's too easy to access people will just call their friends all the time for hints
>>
File: Civilization Sheet v1.0.png (1MB, 2700x6000px) Image search: [Google]
Civilization Sheet v1.0.png
1MB, 2700x6000px
So I'm in the process of remaking the Civilization sheet. I was tired of the horribly jpeg'd and low quality one we always see, so I'm remaking it to be pretty and stuff. Also will make some minor race changes like combining Orcs and Goblins, rip. And if you have any art with a single character white background for Humans/Elves/Any race that I can't find one for, that would be swell.

Remake so far.
>>
File: civ_chart.png (2MB, 720x2259px) Image search: [Google]
civ_chart.png
2MB, 720x2259px
>>137600
Remake this one instead.
>>
>>137600
this may or may not be relevant to you

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VrRN5onpqE54WOOGWj9GEiNr-myFZJiWMgYji4GSDJc/edit?disco=AAAAAWGYFXY
>>
What quest is the longest running as of right now?
>>
>>137707
Banished Quest I think
>>
>>137693
Well if I'm going to run with updated stats like that, I'm likely gonna remove images from the races altogether to be honest. As it is, it's difficult to find good images and fit everything. So in exchange for that, there will be pretty colors.
>>
>>137725
do what you think is best.

Maybe you could post a WIP on one of theose image request threads and see if anons supply?
>>
>>135854
Hey spacefag here, trying to make a quest like all the tribefags but in space with interstellar empires. Is it better to let players flesh out civs for space, or give vanilla civs? I was thinking of doing a tradeoff and giving three civs with different tech starts and methods of transportation, but the players can choose what the name of the civ and culture is for each.

For example:
Civ A travels by xyz

xyz is their permanent tech, but Civ A has whatever name and culture they want.

Thoughts?
>>
>>137831
I don't think I can see any actual quest in your idea. Just seems to be some kind of round robin style game where the only things keeping it from devolving into the old 4 year-old "nuh uh, yeah huh" argument is minimal dice rolls and the type of tech they use.
>>
>>137018
Mystery in quests works when the character themselves work out and discover the clues. The players' hand in solving the mystery is which leads to follow.
>>
and we are back! do join us as we help a friend to reach an old crow.

>>138292
>>138292
>>138292
>>
In my humble opinion, it's the story that is engaging in a quest. Fumbling around with a lot of crunch and dice are just a turn off. Civilization quests aren't much of a draw either since management becomes a bore without an engaging core cast of characters.

Thoughts?
>>
>>138349
Given the success of the civilization quests, your opinion is objectively false.
>>
>>138349
Have you seen the catalog recently?
>>
>>138367
20 civ/evo threads, yes.
>>
File: 1463306185568.png (7MB, 2300x6400px) Image search: [Google]
1463306185568.png
7MB, 2300x6400px
>>137600
Pretty good job there man. Recommend adding interesting rules with each race. If you make it and include races like demons or tieflings I'd probably use the rule sets for them.

Also you can color over the backgrounds with white spray paint thing in MS paint or just erase it. Pretty sure the one in image was created with Photoshop or some other program that allows layering.Also color the text for players to easily see what level the race is good at each item.

>>137725
If you are really just going to remove the images then use a point system instead of words like the one in the image.

Also I haven't seen beast-men from the civ threads.

Stay away from making up races too. best to keep things simple but if you want to use weird races use something you can reference to. Like some of the guildwars stuff, or some other rpg.

>>138349
I feel like I understand you but I also want to point you toward my quest. It gets good during the second part. Also civ and cultural evolution quests are different and I believe you have them mixed.

1st: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/44086/
2nd: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/78892/
>>
>>138349
it seems to me that the vast majority of pure writefag quests fail because nobody really wants to read a lot of text. The only successful storyquests are the drawquests since at least people have pictures to look at
>>
>>138349
I agree partially with you; I think the story/characters are engaging and so can crunch and dice be as as well if handled correctly. Though I still prefer a regular quest to a civ, evo, or a drawfag quest any day.

>>138367
Majority vs minority isn't really an argument.

>>138401
>nobody really wants to read a lot of text.
This would be the case if the successful quests back on /tg/ hadn't proven you wrong. There just haven't been a lot of quality quests that rely on writing alone yet.
>>
>>138396
Actually you should probably skip the first part in all honesty. it was my first attempt and the second part is like the difference in star wars movies.
>>
>>138391

There are currently 16 threads about what you're talking about.

RISK:
>>126551 <1 <1
>>134029 <2 <2
>>129304 <3 <3
>>134568 <4 <4
>>126879 <5 <5
>>134809 <6 <6

CULTURAL EVOLUTION:
>>137430 <1 <7
>>122626 <2 <8
>>129808 <3 <9
>>125407 <4 <10
>>131523 <5 <11
>>119775 <6 <12
>>124786 <7 <13
>>116311 <8 <14

CIVILIZATION:
>>125890 <1 <15
>>131092 <2 <16

The threads are in no particular order. Difference between civ threads and cultural evo is that civ threads have a leader and you usually play the leader of a civ thread. Cult evos have no MC and the player views a civilization more throughout the ages than actually controlling a leader. Though they both have tech and magic and other elements which make them similar they have a distinct difference when writing the two quests. I admit I have not lurked the risk threads but they too deal with major amounts of characters/units/people at one time. Or at least that's how I've been treating the different threads.
>>
Welcome to Bunkerville Kiddos
>>138647
>>138647
>>138647

It's a political game based off trying to govern a nuclear bunker of 300 people after the mayor dies without any official ruling on how he wanted to be succeeded.

Get ready for Democratic Conflicts and political intrigue with a game effecting party election every 3 turns.

Enjoy your stay!
>>
Oh, minor plug, I've got the first thread kicking for Local Man Visits Earth Quest. Will be picking it up tomorrow. Reason I put it here is because the twitter @BlackScribeQM is the one I'll be posting updates for it from.
>>
>>137184
Mystery quests are a little more player driver than people may be used to. People can be really lazy and beg for hints, and depending on the author's intent that might kill the story or give it life. If you ever feel like your quest has hit a dead end on the side of the players, I'd volunteer for acting as a helper, or providing a second opinion if it'd help.
>>
Holy shit, quests have their own board now? Is it as shit as people were predicting, or can I leave /tg/ alone with my quest faggotry?ó
>>
>>136242
>want to run a shitty quest
Then do it. Don't be so much of a faggot that you'll try to censor yourself to hide it.

We literally have a board for this. Just do it.
>>
>>135115
You seem organized, and that attracts me to your quest possibly more than any theme could. Yours is the right to control the atmosphere. Players can only decide to play or not. If you're going to tell a story that will upset a third of your players halfway through, be ready for a shift in players. All you can do is do your best to make it worth playing for the people who will care to play. These things can shift as much as the author (or sometimes player) wants.
>>
>>139241
The issue with mystery quests is when they (and the main character) are *too* player driven. If the MC can act based on their characterization without excessive need for player votes and input, a mystery quest can work well. In other words, the players themselves shouldn't have to solve the mystery. Specifically, the players should be choosing which leads to follow instead of picking up on individual clues.

For example, the QM should avoid describing the crime scene in whole and expect the players to pick out the clues.

Recently, Cyberpunk Detective Quest did this (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/87864/) and Sleeping Gods Quest (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Sleeping%20Gods%20Quest) on /tg/ does this.
>>
>>134839
It's a style thing; you either pull it off well or you don't. Personally, I can appreciate that dynamic.
>>
>>134277
Just do it.

You literally can't make us more board by putting effort in.
>>
>>139274
Most are not bad. But there are like 25 shitty microsoft paint adventures. There are good draw quests like jara and the secret valley and melancholic quest. but a good majority are badly written shitfests were all the characters are called Faggot McDickface who go out into the world to fight the jews.

I like a lot about this Board though. The creative people working together to make a story come to life is such a beautiful idea that I don't want to die. Also /qst/ has special formatting for OPs so they can do cool stuff with text like red/blue/green text and bolding/italicizing words.

There is a good majority that doesn't like shit quests as prevalent by the lack of players/replies some of these bad quests get. I really like finding well written and drawn quests a wonderful delight that makes this board such a joy. But really I think some quests should be removed because the lack of effort put into them. There is a difference between being bad at telling a story and shitposting.
>>
>>139361
>removed because
Never underestimate saging.

If someone wants to put in the effort it takes to run a quest, there's no reason to discourage them. If it turns out to be shit, then just don't play. I don't want to have my options as a player limited because you had wrong ideals about where quality comes from.
>>
>>139326
>shouldn't have to solve the mystery
Hmmmm... So you're saying that running a quest doesn't alleviate the author of the burden of telling the story?
>>
>>139378
It never did.
>>
>>139371
cannot deny the fact that there is a severe curve from playing around on MS and actually creating a realistic (maybe not necessarily realistic but more of a way to suspend disbelief) world that inspires people to play inside the creation.
>>
>>139326
I was just about to ask for feedback on that one actually. I was planning on running the second thread of Cyberpunk Detective this weekend and was wondering what people thought of the first thread.

I had actually built the character Lyle off of that idea, so that he could gather the clues and then have the players decide which leads to follow with an attempt to make it more focused on character interactions and the overarching plot as opposed to solving a series of puzzles with each having one correct solution leading to another puzzle. I felt the players shouldn't need to be bothered with the small details and finding clues at the inevitable cost of focusing their time on how clues fit together.
>>
>>139403
Worldbuilding quality is in the eye of the beholder, or however the fuck the saying goes.
>>
>>139410
>wondering what people thought of the first thread
This seems like a problem to me. It looks to me like people get so immersed in the story that they never really say, "Great quest OP." Should we just divert potentially-immersion-breaking feedback to this thread or what?
>>
>>139459
On /tg/, some QMs ask(ed) for meta stuff like feedback to wait until after the last update; when the thread wraps up, so I've come to take that as common courtesy, since sometimes meta stuff mid-thread can brew shitstorms.
>>
>>139459
Well personally I'm always more than happy to get feedback of any kind. I suppose you could use this thread to post feedback, since it is the general and that's more or less what it's for, but I certainly don't feel like anything is made worse by talking about the quest in the quest itself.

>>139468
Yea, usually that's what happens, but with the combination of bump limit and board speed, the thread has a number of intermissions. I would consider those just as good a place for meta discussion as any, although in my experience, meta discussion tends to annoy other players more than me.
>>
>>139468
I kind of thought of that myself, but I didn't say it in my quest. Definitely a good tip to remember. Still trying to get a handle on what it means to run a quest.
>>
>>139477
>meta discussion tends to annoy other players
Well for me, the value of a quest comes from the interactivity. The more responsive a QM is, the more opportunities there are for player interaction, and the more fun it can be. I'm constantly trying to think of how to make quests faster, easier to jump into it, and how to integrate player feedback better for a higher inclusion/interaction rate. Meta is just one factor in slowing down the experience, but it's probably not even the biggest one. I feel like the experience should flow from all angles, and if it interrupts the flow, it should go.
>>
>>139483
It's all about interaction and improvization, anonhorn! Im new, too, but so far it's where the fun comes from.

Also testing.

[b]TESTING TESTING TESTING[/b]

[i]TESTING TESTING TESTING[/i]

[b][i]TESTING TESTING TESTING[/i][/b]
>>
>>139519
Tags only work for the OP of a thread
>>
>>139519
TESTING TESTING TESTING
TESTING TESTING TESTING
TESTING TESTING TESTING
TESTING TESTING TESTING
>>
File: naaaaanana.png (10KB, 142x159px) Image search: [Google]
naaaaanana.png
10KB, 142x159px
>>139523
>>139530
Thank you! It worked on mine. =w=
>>
>>139509
Well specifically, what kind of meta discussion would you find disruptive? I've seen players find it annoying with statements about wasting posts and just reaching the bump limit faster, but that's really only applicable for fast quests with lots and lots of players on tg, while here there really seems to be enough room for all of it just fine.

Honestly, at some point, player discussion levels really come down to the players themselves. There isn't anything you can do to guarantee it, even if there are ways to try to make it more likely.
>>
>>139519
Oh hey it's you. Your quest looks interesting but it doesn't seem very accessible due to the opening post. Reading it makes me feel like an outsider to an ongoing story, and there's no real context to go off of for new readers. Did you kind of want it that way? Are you comfortable with the current number of players or did you not plan that or what?
>>
>>139519
aren't you Hat?
>>
>>139539
>disruptive
I wouldn't even use that word. How much players ought to interact really depends on the author for whatever kind of quest they want to run. For some quests it's more about the players playing together and in that case there's really no distinction between metadiscussison and regular discussion. I was thinking more for quests where immersion is a big part of the story, and commenting on the story itself doesn't do anything to move the story forward. For someone catching up with the quest, those kinds of posts would waste reading time. It's better to have them at the very beginning or end of a thread just for that reason.
>>
File: nananananananana.png (10KB, 115x135px) Image search: [Google]
nananananananana.png
10KB, 115x135px
>>139546
It takes a lot of background and context to understand what's going on now, I am aware of it; so I’m making a Q&A after this thread with all the references for new readers! The players I have now mainly came from twitter, and most were already familiar with the lore, so I kind of just gave a half-hearted explanation.. =w=
I... there wasn't that much planning, I have to say!

>>139553
Hat is an acquaintance of the greatest cakewitch Damkins, who plays on the quest. I’m just a daydreaming haremhorn with fast thumbs.
>>
>>139558
>commenting on the story itself doesn't do anything to move the story forward.

I would disagree. It lets the players debate, discuss, and come to a consensus on matters instead of simply placing down their votes and going with a plurality, as well as plan and discuss ideas for the future. This makes running the quest leagues smoother to run, and allows the players to come into a more active role in the quest itself.

>For someone catching up with the quest, those kinds of posts would waste reading time.

Again, I disagree. New players reading archives can skip over these posts and just read the QM posts quite easily in order to quickly catch up.
>>
>>139558
>>139581
That is one good thing about IDs - you can highlight the OP's posts and read the quest itself.
>>
>>139588
Well even before that was a thing you could always just "ctrl f 'QM name'" and go through it that way.
>>
>>139578
It'd be nice if new readers could have somewhere to be directed to in the OP of your threads.
>>
>>139598
It's the single biggest sticking point of this entire board - advertising quests. It has no real playerbase of it's own, and quests have always relied on the people of the boards they were created in for a playerbase.

>inb4 parasitism is bad
>>
File: 1422324183059.jpg (387KB, 679x1549px) Image search: [Google]
1422324183059.jpg
387KB, 679x1549px
> In The Queen's Name [[ One-Shot ]]
>>139591
>>
>>139598
There are so many things my readers have to know about the quest (commands, lore, the current situation...) that I was considering adding a link with all the basic info, and post it in all threads if not as the first, then the second post. For now it was mostly a test run; now Im getting serious. And, I'm taking all the advice I can get; this is my first quest so I'm completely oblivious. ;w;
>>
>>139588
>just read the QM posts
That's a decent point actually. Even if the QM has a meta post or two, it's only ever as many as they felt they could make, so it's a QM-solved problem.

>plurality
Well I just started Dot Quest today: >>139101
It's sort of at a mutual player-QM pause right now, but my goal has been to integrate all feedback into the story. Suggestions aren't picked and chosen, they're always included as best as I can include them without derailing everything every third post.

I realize that's not going to work on larger or longer quests, but omniinclusive storytelling is kind of my default style.
>>
>>139608
I'm sorry? You lost me.

>>139624
It sounds like, although you're unfamiliar with the structure of the board, you ARE familiar with the structure of explaining the narrative. So it will probably go okay.
>>
>>139598
>in the OP
Actually that was one of the things that stood out to me about their quest—it IS an ongoing story. It shows in the OP, and it's not even so bad a thing. I tend towards wanting to have the QM free to draw or tell the story, so putting that stuff in the first reply might be better for some quest's styles. If I was really invested in a quest, I'd consider it an honor if the author let me help out like that. Quest "manager" (as opposed to author, who needs to make the thread just for the formatting privileges) would be a perfect role for me as far as being a fan goes.
>>139614
Already watching. <3 Can't wait to read it.
>>139624
It kind of seems like your moves fast enough that that info post might be obsolete 100 posts in or so.

Is there generally an "arc" per thread or something like that? Do you plan or schedule your threads at all? It sounds like you run it pretty dynamically, so your experience might give the rest of us a better sense of what it means to run a quest than you might realize.
>>
>>139629
>Dot Quest
>>139646
>>139666
>sort of at a mutual player-QM pause right now
Lemme rephrase that.

It's 1AM, so no more updates tonight, but I will try to integrate everything tomorrow.

Yes, *everything*.
>>
>>139410
Could you make a Twitter for announcing when you run the thread? I'd appreciate it, and it'll do you good in the long run.
>>
File: naaaananana.png (10KB, 116x135px) Image search: [Google]
naaaananana.png
10KB, 116x135px
I just readed a lot, lot of books and quests and took what I liked! I'm doing the quest because I want my anonhorns (my players) to care enough about the quest that they think their choices carefully. I think that might help them with their life... and should I fail, at least they had fun, and I certainly would have. =w=

The first part of the quest was intended as one big arc to establish all the background and factors that may have influence in the quest; after this, it will be one arc per thread, one different issue for anonhorn to resolve each time, and sometimes one big big issue that may take two or more. And then I will try to adjust myself to anonhorn, to make the quests just hard enough for anonhorn to struggle a bit on the way out.

But I will always punish bad choices; life does, and I intend to as well. I want my quest to be more a challenge than a tale; I want comfyness to be earned.
>>
>>139673

>>139696
I might be be just a little sleepy.
>>
File: 1462772497058.gif (623KB, 360x263px) Image search: [Google]
1462772497058.gif
623KB, 360x263px
>>139696
>readed
Thanks for the chuckle.
>>
>>139696
>earned comfyness
See? I could tell you were a decent QM before I've even read your story. Looking forward to participating once the flow gets going.
>>
File: haremhooorn.png (13KB, 197x158px) Image search: [Google]
haremhooorn.png
13KB, 197x158px
>>139702
Also expect typos! Plenty! ;w;
I'm working hard on my grammar, but anonhorn will have to suffer with me, hopefully just a bit longer.

>>139704
Thank you, you are more than welcome to join in. =w=
>>
>>139706
Also did/do you draw the images you post with or are they from a pre-created work?
>>
>>139718

Every single one stolen from the greatest cakewitch!

https://manga.clone-army.org/viewer.php?series=himehorn

Because:
a) She's mean.
>>
>>139722
Ah, okay. I only ask because they are ridiculously adorable and half the reason I look forward to your quest once I have time for it.
>>
>>139724
I'l make sure they won't lack. =w=
>>
>>139729
Why do you type like a 14 year old girl? Also, why are you avatarfagging?

Don't do that stuff, that's what other sites are for.
>>
File: Better than sex.jpg (55KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Better than sex.jpg
55KB, 900x506px
Post YFW your quest gets its first drawfag.
>>
Can people who have jobs and other real life shit tell me how they manage to QM?

Back when I only had a fast-food job it was damn easy. Only 20-30 hours a week, I could easily spend free days thinking up my quest advancement and running.

Now with a shitty 40 hours a week, 9 hours spent at the office every 5 days, and using the weekend to catch up on family and friends and doing house chores, I just don't have the energy to do quests even if I really want to.
>>
>>139817
Quests get drawfags? I thought you were either a drawfag who ran a quest, or you just never got pictures. huh
>>
I just recently got my drawfag to start contributing with my writing. Its nice having a separate person to dedicate their time and effort into the artwork itself. But we both still need practice and have room for a lot of improvement.
>>134169

Also, i'm pretty torn as how to go about doing dice rolls for combat scenario's in the quest.
Suggestions and feedback appreciated.

Systems i've used so far are:
Average of all rolls with DC's at 40,50,60
Average of all rolls in the majorities vote.
Highest roll with higher DC's depending on number of votes.
>>
For the love of all that is good, please make a Twitter for your non-oneshot quest so that it doesn't fizzle out for lack of votes since the players in the previous thread don't know you're running.
>>
>>139937
This. Don't prolong the making of your twitter just because you don't have the the mental required attraction that you've set for your quest. Even if you only have 5 players, make a twitter so they know when you're running hours before you do.
>>
>>139946
I feel like there's a lot of advice in the pastebin that gets looked over by virtue of the fact that it's in a pastebin.
>>
>>139946
@haremhorn
>>
>>134248
http://pastebin.com/vRzRFfe4
Updated pastebin.
>>
>>139946
I hope I'm doing this right.

@GuardTemp

>>139954
It's like how no one reads a sticky on the forum, no matter how you formatted it. Even if it's in shiny rainbow sparkles, it'll still be ignored.
>>
This board was a mistake.
>>134277
Your idea is not the best idea you will come up with. Just run it. You will come up with another, even better one afterwards. And a better one after that.

Don''t get too attached to your quest ideas, because they're not super special shooting stars that only visit you once and never show up again.
>>
>>140279

The board has pretty much killed all discussion. It might be my imagination, but /tg/ seems to be much slower, too.

Also, all the Quests here are half-assed or just abandoned.
>>
>>140321
>Also, all the Quests here are half-assed or just abandoned.
That's obviously not a fair assessment since there are quests that has the same quality and amount of players that most of the former /tg/ quests had.
>>
>>140340

Oh, come on. All the big discussions died off the moment this QTG came up. They aren't even talking about the big quests any longer.
>>
>>140348
I wasn't disagreeing with what you're referring to, but that might also stem from the fact that this is /qst/ and barely any of the big quests run here.
>>
>>140321
>Also, all the Quests here are half-assed or just abandoned

Triggered. There's undeniably a few really good, or really fun quests going on right now. It just so happens that like 60% of the board is awful threads currently. God I wish they would get pruned or something
>>
>>139828
Be an insomniac.
Have a caffeine addiction that would kill large animals.
Don't give a fuck about your job.
Have the Writer's Curse ©.
>>
What is your favorite quest on /qst/ so far?
>>
>>140630
Do you mean quests that started here or would that include some of the migrants?
>>
>>140638
Both.
>>
>>140630
Dark gate academy
Wizard quest
Black company
Greentext
Smiley's quest:Gate
>>
File: 1463293061461.png (136KB, 560x651px) Image search: [Google]
1463293061461.png
136KB, 560x651px
>>140630
Not yours.
>>
>>140639
>>140630
I typically consider them in the order that I'm willing to change my own schedule to participate in, but there are individual reasons beyond those.
Those three would be Black Company firstly, because participating in it is fun, Hellborn secondly, because I've invested too much time in its early threads to avoid it now, and Banished whenever it runs, because its got a neat world and an interesting twist on the "villain" protagonist. There are many other quests I like, but they remain on /tg/ or are on hiatus.

Dark Gate Academy is pretty alright too, but I rarely catch it.
>>
>>140653
That´s why i am asking the question, so i can try improve :^)
Would you mind telling me your actual favorite quest?
>>
>>140666
>That´s why i am asking the question, so i can try improve
That's not a question to improve. It's more of a question to potentially get attention to your quest. If you want to improve, ask more precise questions that actually has something to do with your quest.
>>
>>140681
The threads i made are older than 7 days. So you won´t find them in the archive. I didn´t submit it to the permanent archives, so there is really no point. I will try to understand the aspects and features what makes a good quest. I asked more questions already in the past /qst/ generals, and i got my answers. But I guess new people with other opinions come to /qst/ everyday. Would asking more questions satisfy you?

>>140649
>>140661
Thanks, will read them.
>>
>>140748
Don't try to satisfy me, but asking what people's favorite quests are is a poor attempt to "improve" your own quest. That's just my opinion.
>>
>>140753
Is reading people´s favorite quests a poor attempt to "improve" own quest-making too?
>>
File: large.gif (383KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
383KB, 500x285px
>>140759
No, that's a good way to improve. Now get to it, would-be QM. Good luck!
>>
>>140765
>tfw the board is blue
Well, off to Akun I am!
>>
>>140428
Vox, please. Not everyone is a lichlord.
>>
If anybody gives a fuck I'm live

http://anonkun.com/stories/exalted-age/4P7nzMogBzBPFjd4R/chapter-1-the-dales/3ZZrTkHotZiHbJkzh
>>
>>140873
That wasn't me.
>>
>>141053
Well isn't that what a Lichlord would want us to think? That he hasn't got any surrogate bodies lying around making his points for him, doing his conquering in his stead while he's cozy behind some foreign throne of decadence?

We're onto you. We're very, very onto you.
>>
>>140865

Running a Digimon quest, It's my first time running anything so I'm a lil nervous.
>>
File: SkullMTAw.png (330KB, 600x825px) Image search: [Google]
SkullMTAw.png
330KB, 600x825px
I might run:

>A Mage: the Awakening quest
>An Exalted Quest
>Something completely OC, probably noirish or strategic

Feelings?
>>
>>141132
Go OC!
>>
>>141132
Go OC af.

That is, if you have the setting fleshed out and can roll with punches in it. If you know the other two better, err on that, but OC has room to grow here.
>>
>>141132
Mage.
>>
Hi everyone, I'll be starting up Zombimouto Tales at
>>141237

You're on a mission to warm up your cold imouto by starting up a whaling/oiling business and getting her a Sahuagin's harpoon for her shelf of collectibles.
>>
How common are collabs when a writefag and a drawfag do one quest?
>>
>>141257
They'd be a purple drop or orange drop in terms of rarity, leaning on the rarer side of the loot table. Or perhaps they'd only be named uniques? They're certainly not common, I can say that much.
>>
>>141257
In fact, it is the fact that they are so uncommon, that in actuality and in reference in spite of my searching, and not for any meager mindfulness with deliberating the matter, that I can't think of any off the top of my head or give any useful sources for such collaborations.

And such as they are, if you have hope or something like it in mind to collaborate creatively, hope someone comes along and tells you about one they've known, something either preformed on /tg/ in the past or in another place wherever.

As I think we'll have no short use of that opportunity to see the factors of such a collaboration and if, hopefully, a thing as such may run with smoothness or at least mild celerity. Otherwise, unfortunate non-answers abound, and you'll have to lay the stones where you walk- and have picked them well.
>>
>>134248
Are there any rules to the stories, do you have to have rolls and that shit? I don't get it

>shit = stuff
>>
File: lil guy.png (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
lil guy.png
8KB, 400x400px
>>139646
>call upon the power of 4chan to decide what happens next
Calling /qsg/, come in /qsg/.

>>141437
You are a 1-point above average hyperintelligence, currently inhabiting the fungal body of a vast Alice multiverse. Your seat, NEET, and meat-base vision magic is about average, and if you cobble together your heat vision and Grue repellent, you may just be able to form an exothermic reaction.

You possess the ideal conditions for growth in all directions.
>>
>>141477
Embrace the fog, for it is your own.
>>
>>141448
You don't have to have anything.
>>
>>141448
>do you have to have rolls and that shit
Not all. All that matters is that you give your players some level of control over the nature of how the story unfolds. It can be as much or as little control as you feel comfortable authoring.
>>
Can we discuss non-4chan quests here? Can we discuss smut quests?
>>
>>141588
No. Discuss non-4chan quests at their site of origin.
>>
>>141588
You can discuss smut quests, but you can't write them without fade to black.
>>
>>141325
Im actually running a quest in such a manner. My artist only just started contributing with every update in the third thread though. But we're both having fun and trying to get better.
>>
File: pacific-rim-poster-coyote-tango.jpg (300KB, 1024x1521px) Image search: [Google]
pacific-rim-poster-coyote-tango.jpg
300KB, 1024x1521px
This is the problem with watching some movies, now I want to run a quest based off of it.

>PACIFIC RIM QUEST
It'd have to be based just after Gypsy Danger's fight with Knifehead, 5 years before the main plot occurs.

It seems that is when the Jaeger program was in full swing, but the Kaijus are now starting to outpace them in size and frequency. These would be the rough years of the war, that saw dozens or scores of Jaegers reduced to the 4 crews we see in the movie.

It'd be interesting to play as a Jaeger crew not from the countries shown in the movie. Maybe South America?
>>
>>136440
That's a broader self-esteem thing that has less to do with your actual writing skill and a lot more to do with a bodged-up ability to judge your own worth. Often guys in your shoes underestimate themselves in ALL walks of life.

Thing is, it's an evil that feeds itself. The more nervous you are about something, the worse you'll do at it, and then you'll think you suck more because you did badly. You can only judge your own value as a human being effectively if you can drop that expectation on its head and just do something tabula rasa, without thinking too hard ahead of time.

It's really just a skill that takes time to build. Start with smaller things like, I dunno, one-shot quests. Ever see Anal Prolapse Quest? Absurd and silly, but it's proof that a single thread can still tell a story. Or you can cut your teeth re-evaluating your life value off of the internet. I've had a lot of luck in customer service, where I'm forced to work with strangers in a day-to-day basis. I can't afford to avoid it because it's my job, so I'm not a flaky motherfucker any more, and it's excellent practice for getting outside of my shell. I just take baby steps each day to improve my act. Talk to people just a little bit more, worry a little less at a time each day. You know when you're making progress when you suddenly start feeling proud of yourself for small shit, like maintaining eye contact. Then it's like riding a roller coaster, where it's scary for a while but feels great afterward. Then you start looking forward to the whole experience--fear and all. It can even be a rush

"Hey, I just finished a whole conversation with a live, functioning adult"!

And then you run a quest on /tg/ just to prove you have absolutely no shame whatsoever. Good luck.
>>
>>136440
If you enjoy running a quest run it. The moment it becomes a chore or you don't derive any joy out of writing it, it's time to stop and either quit or revamp it to your own personal liking.

QMs should run quests for their own enjoyment first, and the players second. Otherwise, what's the point?
>>
>>142884
Awesome.
>>
File: 489177_5331352[1].jpg (131KB, 960x727px) Image search: [Google]
489177_5331352[1].jpg
131KB, 960x727px
>>142811
>FAMINE FORCE QUEST
>You are Dindu Nouffin, and along with your cousin Hiwuz Goodboy, you form the vanguard of Africa's greatest weapon against the giant monsters plaguing its coast: THE FAMINE FORCE
>>
>>142603

Make decisions on what to do in a dysfunctioning medieval world!
>>
Kind of a foolish question regarding pictures; would it be unacceptable to use Google'd images for scenery/buildings, but draw-fag the characters? I don't mean draw the characters on the photos, mind you, just use two separate types of pictures. I don't want to sound like my characters are too OC Donut Steel to just look for a stock image online, but I just suck too badly at perspective and drawing architecture in general.
>>
You know, for how much waifuing goes on in quests, I'm surprised how hard it is to just find a straight up waifu quest with no pretenses or other gimmicks.
>>
>>143079
Even the shittiest porn movie has -some- plot.
>>
>>143079
You want me to make one?
I can drawfag with anime shit too
>>
>>143084
Yeah, but like, sometimes instead of robots and company conspiracies you just want a pizza delivery and innuendo you know?

>>143085
I won't press you, I'll check it out if one runs but it was mostly that I'm catching up on that new Academy and I'm wondering if the LN premise was actually better than a generic harem anime in quest form.
>>
>>143106
I'm pretty sure a raw harem waifu collecting quest would be boring real quick.
>>
>>143070
Do whatever the fuck you want when drawfagging. It literally does not matter.
>>
File: 1462300949480.png (108KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1462300949480.png
108KB, 500x500px
>>143070
I see nothing wrong with this at all.
>>
>>143070
cegremo does this.
>>
>>141132
MAGE THE AWAKENING
>>
>>143131
Depends on how it's told. Every new season you hope Japan will figure out how to make an interesting harem setting for once, and every season, somehow, against all odds, they do. Then it gets old five episodes in and you have to just get through the other seven because why not at this point?

Life is suffering.
>>
>>143277
Battle harems?
I usually watch one every season, but even then there is some plot to fuel something.
>>
Is Highlander still too cringey and corny for quest material?

What about a quest based off the Highlander cartoon series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlEamQJ-1g
>>
File: a house.jpg (65KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
a house.jpg
65KB, 400x309px
Hey guys, I'm starting a Hunter x Hunter quest next week and I need pictures.

Where do you guys go for art to go with your quests?
>>
File: 47298989_p0.png (3MB, 1158x1722px) Image search: [Google]
47298989_p0.png
3MB, 1158x1722px
>>143377
Pixiv, mostly.
>>
>>143377
Begrudging interest.
>>
>>143377
Why don't you just crop images from the manga?
>>
>>143495
I'm doing some of that, but the quest is going to start a year before the Hunter Exam that Gon takes. So I need some art for a few characters that start things off, plus the backgrounds for the cities and landscapes plus a few title cards.

I'm mostly holding off on character art for anyone but the MC's dad, grandpa, and the possible BBEG since the players could drop someone quickly if they don't like them.
>>
>>143279
>some plot
>implying it's not all made up as they go along

Wait...
>>
>>143615
What are you going on about?
>>
Anyone know what's happening with the Verdant/Worm quest? That was really fun, but the QM's twitter has disappeared.
>>
back but i doubt anyone is awake...

>>138292
>>138292
>>138292
>>
Local QM Posts Shit Way Too Late
"I can't believe I shitposted on /tg/ for hours!" -The Black Scribe

>>143945
>>143945
>>143945
>>
How's it goign so far, /qst/?
>>
File: plot relevance.gif (1MB, 400x256px) Image search: [Google]
plot relevance.gif
1MB, 400x256px
>>143997
Currently thinking I posted my session 2 super fuckin' late at night. Good thing threads stick for a while here, or I'd be kinda fucked.
>>
>>143997
I've been making a map for the better half of this day.
>>
I'm sad about losing Verdant and The Last Grease Monkey from my qst list :(

I get it from Vernant tho. Thread went on auto save and then he went to wait for questions that never came. But I'm sure no one had questions because he was still building the world and us players weren't ready to question it.

About Niggertits, fuck him. He had one job.
>>
>>144102
I really hope Verdant isn't getting dropped.
>>
>>144007
At least you have the chance to be late.
Since i work 12 hour nightshifts, my sessions go up when everyone is leaving for work/school/you name it.
>>
>>143997
We're not dead enough for every quest to be about necromancers. This is how all success is measured, right?
>>
>>144109
Same anon
>>
>>143640

He's dropped it.
>>
Time for a quest discord?
https://discord.gg/0Xc4Gfg3ZvJlVDy2
>>
>>144155
There already is one...
>>
>>144155
>making another
>>
>>144114
Shit man. That blows ass. Which quest?
>>
>>144155
It's not even a server for questing!
>>
>>144155
this one seems better desu
>>
>>144169
Genocide quest.
My first quest ever, and i recently managed to secure an artists help, so since the third thread, i do the writing and she does the art for each update.

But yeah, whats worse is recently the shift opposite of mine had a guy quit, so i get to be swampped with overtime filling the empty spot on their workdays for the rest of may and probably most of june. Not sure yet.
Normally during a two week span id get 7 days off total. Now that shit dips down to 3-4 best case.
>>
>>144155
Read the OP-post.
>>
>Verdant Quest OP deleted himself off Twitter
FUCKING
FUCK
WHY
>>
>>144299
Fuck that guy.

Archive and carry on.

Also Dualists is dead. Op has a locked Twitter account and had a very good potential. Shame.
>>
>>144174
Damn bruh, that sucks, having IRL be a shitter.

Is the playerbase at least sticking around?
>>
>>144299
>>144304
it was about time for this sort of thing to happen.

next wave of QMs will probably now be too afraid to even make twitters.
>>
File: SCARED.jpg (21KB, 320x350px) Image search: [Google]
SCARED.jpg
21KB, 320x350px
>>144319
Why what happened to him?
>>
>>144325
nah, it's just minor cause and effect:

>Prospective QM is a player
>personally understands the feeling of betrayal when someone just deletes the twitter
>now too afraid to commit to a twitter

It's not going to be a BIG wave of QMs, just one among many undercurrents that plague people with anxiety.
>>
>>144310
Every session gets a few contributors and i know i have some lurkers.
Cant ask for much more given my hours.

>>144319
>>144332
Honestly theres no excuse guys. If qm goes out of his way to make a twitter and gets followers, he at least should tell them hes just straight up done with it all, instead of just dropping off the map without a word.

Complete lack of respect otherwise.
>>
>>144358
I didn't say it was WRONG.

Just that we're a ways away from the average QM knowing most of the obstacles and being prepared to face them.
>>
Hey guys, anyone know what happened to Undead Civ?
>>
>>144358
>Honestly theres no excuse guys. If qm goes out of his way to make a twitter and gets followers, he at least should tell them hes just straight up done with it all, instead of just dropping off the map without a word.
>Complete lack of respect otherwise.
I get a sense of deja vu.
>>
>>135182
The Kenji trip leak was a mistake.
>>
ignore me
>>
Rolled 3, 1, 2, 5, 2 = 13 (5d5)

>>144416
My tripcode...is dumber than yours!
>>
>>144370
Honestly, just saying "i quit" over a tweet takes zero effort, and saves people the trouble of parroting "Is it dead" after the fact.
>>
>>144473
>>144370
>>144358
I guess some QMs aren't the most stable individuals around.
>>
>>144481
Most people who enjoy creative writing, or do it in such abundance as what the typical QM is liable to, are generally not entirely stable. It's not quite accurate to call them basketcases, but if you look at most of the more prolific writers - Either in the 4chan community, or actual authors - you'll realize that beyond the worlds and stories they write, they've a lot of things being juggled which sets them apart... and not in a good way.

Personally, I think that's part of why they make stories that people enjoy reading and/or participating in. Their point of view is removed from the norm, but only in degrees that we find the things they create to be interesting/fascinating, rather than offputting.

So, naturally, there are a lot of people who can't hold themselves together consistently enough to actually manage it this kind of thing long term.
>>
>>144370
I dropped my quest for a long time, unsure if I was ever going to take it up again.

But yeah, if a QM is sure they won't recontinue it they should at least say as much.
>>
>>143279
>>143277

Look, the main reason is because most LNs are sequential media. They're a bit like comics (Not like manga, which generally tell a fixed story) in that things usually stick with the status quo.

I mean, if you're getting an anime adaptation, you can't have anything too horrible happen to the heroines, can you? You would lose readers because of her fanbase. You also can't have anything too exciting relationship-wise happening, otherwise it's all over. You just kind of have this harem where no-one except the main girl has a chance. Either the protagonist hooks up with the main girl in Book 1, stays on good terms with her but everyone else keeps cockblocking, or no-one is ahead.

You couldn't do something like Joker Quest, where the heroine gets killed off in Book 2 or 3 and never shows back up. That would just scupper the whole fanbase.
>>
I want an honest opinion of what I have so far in my actual quest, I'm not far but I think my writing is subpar for the course. Oh, and my drawfag skills as well. I think they're quite poor.

>>142427
>>
>>134248
Add my twitter into the directory.
@haremhorn
Thanks in advance! =w=
>>
>>144726
Well, doing both writing and drawfagging presents a dilema. Time, quality of art, quality of writing. Three things you need to find a balance of that both you and your thread is comfortable with.

but in my opinion, any art that has more time put into it than literal stickfigures in MSpaint is good enough to add something to a thread. I'm not at expert though, ain't played many quests.
>>
>>144726
Will you do any more of that poke quest evo stuff?
>>
>>144754
I can balance that all out pretty well. Writing is my best skill by a mile. I have plenty of time considering I only work weekends but my art has always been a concern with me- it's always is this good enough, what would people think, are the lines too scratchy? It's thoughts like these that pop into my head too much while I draw.

>>144769
I plan on doing the Poke Civ Evo Thurday through Sunday so that I can plan and do KeiraQuest, which I was planning to do. Don't worry though, you'll get your war with those Spinarak- I promise you that.
>>
>>134248

>QM question:
something more lewd, because I'm a huge faggot

>Player question
Conflict between justice and mercy
Conflict between duty and romance
Conflict between idealism and pragmatism

Really, I just like moral dilemmas, gray areas, and problems with no perfect solution.
>>
>>144846
you n me both.
>>
>>144846
>something more lewd
On Akun? What kind of lewd? Is it loli lewd? Tell me it's loli lewd.
>>
>>144891
Your fetish is dumb and you should sue your parents for dropping you on the head.
>>
>>144532
QMing is essentially Writing: the Immediate Gratification.

Also QMs on this board are more noticeably dropping like flies. At least on /tg/, dead (and atrociously slow quests [except for A Tale of Witches]) get pushed off the board. But /qst/ just looks sad at the moment.m
>>
Dark Gate Academy is back with a new thread, if anyone's interested.
>>144914
>>144914
>>144914
>>
>>144911
This was predicted weeks ago.
>>
>>144929
It was predicted years ago.
>>
>>144938
It was predicted decades ago
>>
>>144911
It looks pretty normal for a small board.
>>
>>144942
THIS FATE WAS ETCHED IN CERAMITE OLDER THAN THE COSMOS.
>>
>>144949
Most of questfags in the thread are used to the 3-5 hours till it falls off the board speed of /tg/.
>>
>>144949
Too bad quests need a certain amount of participation in a given time, unless we can have slow updates.

Oh, wait, there's the 72 hours automatic autosage. :^)
>>
File: 1462582412650.png (196KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1462582412650.png
196KB, 600x600px
Which option sounds more interesting?
>Everyone but the Qmc has some form of power, but the Qmc will get a power quite soon in the quest and with enough training and learning, the Qmc can surpass them with their power.
>Everyone but the Qmc has some form of power, and the Qmc will never get a similar power, but they can find, craft, and earn items that will put them on par with those who use their powers and with enough skill, the Qmc can surpass them.
>>
>>145109
I would ask myself "why is the MC overcoming the obstacles introduced by the quest, as opposed to all the other better-suited characters?''. You need a great answer.
>>
>>145109
I prefer inherent powers to items. A lot.
>>
>>145140
Thank you for your answer.
>>
What are some things a writefag can add to a writequest to spice it up if they have no artistic ability?
>>
>>145218
Fun mechanics and upgrade trees.
>>
>>145218
If it's an original setting, get a map and write out the lore from each area.

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/map-creator.php#.Vztvk_krLIU
>>
>>145225
So would you say that a storyquest+ formal mechanics (like using a particular game system with character sheets, stat checks, etc) would be better received than just a plain storyquest with some simple, informal mechanics (rolling to succeed/fail, etc)?
>>145395
I have a bunch of lore written about the setting but it's staying in the background until there's a quest-related reason for it to be brought up.
I think most anons don't care about the 2deep background lore of yet another oc donut steel fantasy setting.

I guess making a map might be useful since it would help players orient themselves in the world.
>>
>>145430
If you have no artistic abilities like you said, then yes, probably.
>>
Hey, When I write characters, especially smaller villains or side characters, I usually assign them songs in my head that go along with them. Would it be cool for me to put these in the upcoming quest I'll be running? They're mostly instrumentals and I feel it might add a bit of atmosphere while also not being intrusive and overly necessary in order to really get into the quest.
>>
>>145534
Sure. You could add them in scenes where they are the center of attention or when they're featured. Some might not listen to it while others will and it'll become a song connected to that character.
It's pretty much a hit or miss thing.
>>
>>137707
BFQ is only on a hiatus.
>>
anyone know of good mechanics for magic or is it just universally dice rolls/QM chooses?
>>
>>145645
I've heard positive things about Banished Quest's magic system, but I've never experienced it before.
>>
>>145627
Yeah, just like Lessons in Knighthood!
>>
>>145719
;_;

I still hope HQQ is coming back though.
>>
>>145651
It's pretty awesome, from what I remember reading. You can combine an element with various "metamagic" effects to modify how a spell works, or make it more powerful.
>>
For the folks that might have missed it: Dungeon Life Quest is going on hiatus until July 5th or so; there'll be another announcement closer to the date.
>>
>>145645
Well, the other guy mentioned Banished Quest's magic system. Minor spoilers ahead, It's quite large. If I would summarize it I'd say it's got a solid and malleable foundation which has slowly become clearer over the progression of the quest, and the characters.

The casting itself relies on mana called Vys, which can be spent to boost normal actions, while traditional casting is broken up into schools for Nature, Metal, Water, Fire, and Earth. Levels of mastery are attained and increased through meditation to gain insights into these elements, but those are just basic foundations. Although, Grandmasters of elements are the bullshitters of the setting at first, there are greater tiers of bullshit that get revealed later on as the quest progresses.

Beyond that you can combine metamagics with effects or with what you're casting elementally. An AOE metamagic with a Paralysis effect for instance will paralyze foes in an area of effect, that's a simple one, and its cost in Vys is reflected as such. The extrapolation of learning effects through meditation is interesting, too. But there's been too many to bother with in one post.

There is a broad scope to each of these things, and some strange extrapolations when they becomes more detailed, Metal Magic and Nature Magic for instance having a certain but not entire purview over minds, and the others going further still than their initial identifiers. The magic system is interesting I think primarily because it's very reinforced through the setting's lore, past events of history, and tied to the world in interesting ways that during the course of the quest there's been much speculation about. And probably no small amount of improvisation.

I might also note that while boosting rolls with Vys in order to gain or increase levels of success is interesting it seems to often be a crutch of the setting, as so long as you have sufficient Vys and reserves of which in artifacts you can, as the MC has, bulldoze most minor problems or facefuck your tribulations into annihilated submission. Which is great, actually. No nonsense spending mechanics are quite fun, although I wouldn't necessarily say BQ is an example of a balanced one I'd only have some hard comparisons that wouldn't do either justice.

And then there's the Enchanting system, at this point fuck you and go fuck yourself. Go read his pastebins from any archived Banished thread of the more recent ones and enlighten yourself because fuck logic gates and shit I ain't explaining nothin' there.
>>
>>144954
Would play this quest.
>>
>>144984
We could have a sticky for slowquests. Personally I think the three day autosage limit is perfect for forcing authors to treat their quests as something other than a surrogate virtual life.
>>
>>144984
>72 hour automatic autosage
They really have to change that.
>>
>>145895
If only all quests had lots and lots of players who could generate discussion, write-ins, etc.
>>
>>145899
people would just keep bumping their shitty, slow quests for the entire week to keep exposure going and i don't think that's preferable
>>
>>145916
A board full of slow updating quests would suck. I like to have my options open as far as being a player is concerned. I don't really have a good solution for how to handle slower quests, but I don't think spamming the board with quests by authors who post five updates and then never post again is gonna help here.

I could be completely off base here though. Maybe slower quests would encourage more authors. I'm taking the current limitations of the board as a way to fuel my own creativity as an author. Adapting to new media can really provoke clever ideas a lot of the time.
>>
>>145933
If they're actually bumping then I don't mind. It's only when OP just ditches the quest that it really sucks/threatens overall board quality.
>>
>>145939
>I don't think spamming the board with quests by authors who post five updates and then never post again is gonna help here.
That's not an autosage problem. There are plenty of quests like that here.

>Maybe slower quests would encourage more authors.
Of course they would. You honestly can't do quests unless you do super short sessions, are a NEET/on perpetual holidays, or forget your friends on the week-ends.
>>
>>145944
This happens so much now. I mean sure, it happened on /tg/ but it's either more prevalent or just more noticeable here.
I wonder what's up with all the non-committal quests; I haven't seen one past thread 10 that didn't originate from the motherboard.
>>
>>145955
>I haven't seen one past thread 10 that didn't originate from the motherboard.
Dark Gate Academy is on Thread 11 and it originated here on /qst/ if I'm not mistaken, but you still got a point.
>>
>>145955
>I haven't seen one past thread 10 that didn't originate from the motherboard.
No shit, the board is young and the autosage limit is 72h/750 posts.
>>
>>145955
>I haven't seen one past thread 10
This board isn't that old...
>>145960
>Dark Gate Academy
Surprisingly, that's the one that spawns a new thread before the previous one even starts autosaging.
>>
>>145947
>super short sessions
I don't see any *inherent* problem with that.
>NEET/on perpetual holidays
There are enough people that fit that description that I don't see it as a problem if they fit the bill.
>forget your friends on the week-ends
Also entirely possible. If you have a life, it stands to reason that you shouldn't run a quest, or should run a quest on a platform where it would actually make sense to run it. We won't get anywhere by trying to pander to every type of author. We need both QMs and players, we can't just focus on the QM experience.
>>145955
>all the non-committal quests
People are trying it out. There has to be some way for new QMs to get interested in running a quest, and I honestly think just letting people jump in and try their best is the only chance we really have. It's not fun to have OP ditch, but it's better to that them ditch early on than ten threads in when you're all emotionally invested in the story.
>>145966
I don't think the autosage limit is really that much of a stumbling block for serious authors. It's a limit to adapt to rather than a make-or-break deal.
>>
What is the proper way to start new threads when doing a continuing quest? I have thus far just done a new quest thread for each session, but I'm starting to hear complaints that this creates too many threads on the board. Should I max out post count before making a new one in the future?
>>
>>146002
>We won't get anywhere by trying to pander to every type of author.
Man, this is just fucking stupid. It's not like we are in dire need of space. But more quests by people who can actually follow up on them are always welcome. It would only be a problem if we had 100+ QMs who could actually sustain 750 post threads per session.

It's not pandering, it's fucking convenience. That or you're just some kind of anti-questfag who doesn't want more serious (that is, actually updated consistently if not necessarily often) quests even on their own board. It's really the only justification I can see besides being a fucking stupid "REEEE NORMIES" cretin.

>>146014
The threads that are nearly getting pruned haven't been active for two days. Who cares?
>>
>>146014
>proper
We still haven't figured out what proper is yet. This is going to take a lot of experimentation and back and forth before we finally get things right. I'd err on the side of saying fuck everyone and else and just running the quest however you want to run it based on the current limitation of the board.
>>146044
I don't see where you're coming from at all here.
>>
>>146060
>I don't see where you're coming from at all here.
Why wouldn't you want more quests is my question? It literally isn't a problem to remove the 72h autosage limit. We don't need more room, what we need is more quests.
>>
>>146060
>I'd err on the side of saying fuck everyone and else and just running the quest however you want to run it based on the current limitation of the board.
While I'd normally agree with you, this kind of attitude and mindset has led to people starting free-form text RP threads with limited player slots and slapping "quest" on them, which the very thing quests AREN'T supposed to be. Hopefully this board stops choking on bad threads sooner rather than later.
>>
>>146081

There's no reason for me NOT to just condense everything into the same thread, I guess. It just didn't occur to me. New session = new thread in my mind. If that's creating pollution, though, I can wait for my threads to hit post limit.
>>
>>146070
I don't want more or less quests, I want exactly as many quests as is healthy for QM creativity. I don't know that 72 hour autosage is a good or bad thing yet. Right now I tend to think of it as a limitation that will breed creativity among potential QMs, and sort of organize the board a bit for players. I'm not sure what the ideal balance between players and QMs is yet.
>>146081
>the very thing quests AREN'T supposed to be
I don't want to put any limitations on what a quest is or isn't supposed to be. If players find that they want to RP among themselves without a directed quest or Quest Master, why should I as a QM care at all? I'm not going to buy into any abstract arguments about board "quality." If you would at all limit creativity, then you are the only threat to board quality in my book. I'm not saying that text RP threads are definitely quests, but that I haven't found a reason to exclude them, specifically.
>>146094
Well you're limited to three active threads either way, so until you hit the thread limit due to moving too fast with your sessions, I don't see a problem with it. One thread per session doesn't bother me at all if that's how you want to run things. Artistic license is about the only thing I care about right now.
>>
>>146105
>I haven't found a reason to exclude them, specifically.
This is a board for quests. Not Risk, not Skirmishes, not Free-Form RP, just quests.
>>
>>146105
>I don't want to put any limitations on what a quest is or isn't supposed to be.
Then you've already made a huge mistake. This board is for quests, not "pretend-quests" - Take Risk and Free-form RP threads to another board or site. It's NOT a quest. It wasn't on /tg/ and it's not here, no matter how little you want to "limit" someone's "creativity".
>>
>>146113
All of those things ARE quests.
>>
>>146113
>>146115
There's no such thing as a "real" quest. I can see why you might want to exclude Risk threads, but you have to give me something more than "not a quest." Personally I just minimize them, but if you want them removed then I have no problem with that either. If you want /qst/ to not just be a general purpose gaming zone in favor of actual writing, that I can understand, but even then I tend to hesitate because I wouldn't mind /qst/ fulfilling that role. If [s4s] wants to design a game at some point, and it overflows onto /qst/ an an interesting form of OC, I want to preemptively allow that.

Free from text RP I still see not problem with. Go ahead and nuke Risk threads if you want, but what makes RP bad? If other people want to do it I don't see any reason why I should care. Either as a QM or a player, what difference should it make to me?
>>
>>146155
There's no such thing as a quest.

>hurr durr it is
>hurr durr is not
is completely unhelpful.
>>
>>146156
>There's no such thing as a "real" quest.
>>146163
>There's no such thing as a quest.
There's no point arguing with you since you've never played in a quest on /tg/ or touched a quest before /qst/. I can forgive ignorance, but don't assume that you can tell us that "there is no real quest" because there damn well is.

It's one QM weaving a story with options that ANY and ALL players whom decide to join can pick from that moves the story and the characters in it forward.
Risk doesn't do that.
Skirmishes doesn't do that.
Free-form RP doesn't do that.

Quests on /tg/ followed this format, /qst/ was made primarily in mind for the people who participated and made quests on /tg/ so whether you like it or not, this is the format quests follow. Anything else is not a quest. If we start to allow threads that are not quests to exist on a board for quests, the quality of this board will only drop further.
>>
>>146190
>It's one QM weaving a story with options that ANY and ALL players whom decide to join can pick from that moves the story and the characters in it forward.

In theory, yes. But in practice, it is just a choose your own adventure novel.
>>
File: 3298572837502.png (16KB, 300x179px) Image search: [Google]
3298572837502.png
16KB, 300x179px
>>146209
>But in practice, it is just a choose your own adventure novel.
Except it's not.
>>
>>146214
It literally is.

Anyone who provides multiple choice instead of write-in only is making a shitty adventure novel.
>>
>>146190
I wonder about that definition.

It needs to account for tagteam QMs, rare as they are, and while not advisable for EVERY choice, there are full write-in only sections in some situations.

Choice is DEFINITELY an important aspect. Quests are all about Choosing, the consequences of such choices, and the careful control of agency to better draw out meaning in the story.
>>
File: 1446582821317.png (195KB, 450x381px) Image search: [Google]
1446582821317.png
195KB, 450x381px
>>146217
>>
File: 1461811145087.png (261KB, 838x757px) Image search: [Google]
1461811145087.png
261KB, 838x757px
>>146217
>>
>>146156
Actually to put it another way: I don't oppose Risk threads because anyone coming to /qst/ for Risk has an opportunity every day to join a real quest and become a player/productive member of quest society. Otherwise, if they're just parasitic threads that on /tg/ anons watch or care about and they'll never even look at the catalog or scroll through the other threads on the board, then they should go.
>>146190
The reason I said there's no such thing as a "real" quest is precisely because, as a newfag to /qst/, I don't want it to be /tg/ 2.0. It should be for quests, and whatever quests will become, not whatever limited notion that originates from /tg/. As far as I'm concerned, this board was made because /tg/ couldn't figure out how to make quest culture work.

>It's one QM
I wouldn't mind multiple QMs/want to have that option be available to potential QMs who think they can pull that off.
>weaving a story
Has to have a story. I can abide that. Insofar as RP doesn't produce a story, it doesn't belong on this board.
>ANY and ALL players
I don't necessarily have a problem with quests that have a limited number of players. Whatever limitations the author wants to impose on their quest, I don't want to stop them.
>with options that [players] can pick from
I'm not trying to be a bitch about phrasing or anything, but that sounds to me like the author has to pre-supply players with options, which to me is contrary to the entire idea of quest creativity. I don't think you mean to restrict quests that way, but my point is more that equivocating on a hard definition of what makes a quest a quest is counterproductive. I'm not advocating for Risk or RP, but "is not a quest" isn't good enough for me to want it off the board. Find me a better reason to exclude them.
>moves the story and the characters in it forward
So the players have to have a part in the narrative. That excludes Risk AFAIK, but at what point am I supposed to draw the line between influencing the narrative and flat-out RP? My natural stance is that that boundary is up to the QMs.

>>146209
>>146214
That is the exact dialogue I was trying to avoid.
>>
>>146218
Exactly. That is, to me, the source of creativity for this board.
>>
>>146223
>>146226
Posting anime only reinforces my correctness.
>>
>>146014
I think the way Melancholy and Monstergirl Quests are doing it is kinda proper. Wait till autosage. This way, you can have most of your posts on a single thread, and you can pin it easily instead of rummaging in the catalog to see where the update is.
>>
>>146248
>>146230
>>146241
Your opinion is unfortunately objectively false. Welcome to /qst/.
>>
>>146217
Yeah, because providing any kind of character appropriate direction is obviously a bad idea for a long running game where multiple people control the protagonist and you don't even get the same crowd every time.

Why would you strive for consistency when you could just write 'wat do' and watch the amazing responses roll in?
>>
>>146255
I don't have an opinion yet, so you must have fucked up somewhere along the line.
>>
>>146255
Would you like me to link to all the examples?

I can assure you that I am objectively correct.
>>
>>146265
>consistency
I would enjoy neither a board full of only zany quests, nor a board full of only serious quests. The only way for me as a player to keep my options open is to ensure QMs have their options open.
>>
>>146265
So you admit that you're railroading.

Just go write a book, loser.
>>
>>146217
These hard hitting, high caliber shitposts I see today have no mercy, and no breaks. It's inspiring.
>>
>>146281
This board can't be made better by shitposting people into leaving. That might work on literally any other board, but not this one. On this one it will always just be shitposting, and the only effect it could have is driving away potential QMs. Every other board can make a great thread from a shit OP, but this board is legitmately OP-driven. If you can't play nice, you actually do have to leave here.
>>
>>146280
>I would enjoy neither a board full of only zany quests, nor a board full of only serious quests. The only way for me as a player to keep my options open is to ensure QMs have their options open.
A quest should keep the same tone throughout, and it doesn't matter what tone that is.

If you run a serious detective quest, having some fuckwads come in and start posting sorandum shit will ruin it completely. Once you start playing a quest, you play by the fucking rules of the setting, which means matching the tone laid out by the OP.

>>146281
Thanks for confirming you're a troll, you've saved me the effort of arguing with you. Later nigger.
>>
>>146230
>but at what point am I supposed to draw the line between influencing the narrative and flat-out RP
not defining for certain, but the structure of quests with regards to meta-discussions ABOUT a character and how that affects the actual RP segments is quite a bit different from flat-out RP.

Sure, you get a lot more volume in RP, but the very nature of its speed and how each player is one character means that it's difficult to chip away at deeper character traits.
>>
>>146305
The truth isn't trolling.
>>
>>146311
Why are you here if you think it's all shit, Anon?
>>
>>146314
>still replying
>>
>>146314
I play the non-shitty quests, obviously.
>>
>>146305
>matching the tone laid out by the OP
So far I'm actually pretty pleased by anons' ability to do that. I'm still trying to figure out how to make tone unambiguous, but I'll get there with practice.
>>146307
So RP is less organized/completely unorganized. I'd agree that a quest should have a central tone in any case.
>>146311
Not always, no, but it certainly can be sometimes.
>>
>>146340
Which are?

>watch and be amazed as he fails to answer
>>
>>146351
That or post civs and dead quests.
>>
File: Hunter Rules 1.png (20KB, 658x326px) Image search: [Google]
Hunter Rules 1.png
20KB, 658x326px
Hey guys, I'm making some rules for that HunterxHunter quest I'm gonna be running. Anyone want to critique them and tell me what's good and what's shit?
>>
>>146358
These are also only the first set of rules the player will start with. Nen abilities have some extra rules to them in terms of usage and advantages.
>>
>>146358
Are you using Best of X?

Do crits override?

>opposed rolls
are you uh, sure? You're aware of the problems with it but are certain that this is what's needed?
>>
Just filter the stupid with his ID.
>>
>>146342
Hmm... So what I'm getting out of this is that table top games aren't quests because, while the player can control the actions of a character, they don't actually have a central narrative to guide. RP has the same problem, in that players are only involved with their own character, and they don't/can't affect anything beyond that, but RP isn't forbidden either.

I still kind of like the idea of other boards coming here for community-wide games. (Anything with a fixed number of player can never be a community-wide game.)
>>
>>146351
>>146357
If I told you, you would shit them up. Nice try, anti-questers.
>>
>>146368
Yeah, I'll take out rolls for enemies except for very special circumstances now that I think about it. I might keep it in for allies, though.

I was planning on using best of 3 with crits overriding.
>>
>>146358
Hunter X Hunter combat is really rather involved. Involving plans laid in advance, quick thinking, and it's true, a modicum of chance. So, I'm asking, do you think you can recreate a combat from the mango using your system?
>>
>>146394
For Nen abilities, I have a pretty elaborate system I'm working to simplify right now before I show it off.

I think if I can get that system right and combine it with this, I can make it feel at least relatively close to the manga, granted I've seen more of both the anime than I've read the manga.
>>
>>146405
Read the manga. Now. No, really.
>>
>>146390
>best of 3 with
>crits overriding
.....let me do the math

Normal: ~48.8% chance of ANY crit

Hard: ~48.8% chance of ANY crit, except really it's just critfail
>>
>>146410
I was planning on going through everything I only saw and didn't read anyway, so that works.

>>146412
Yeah, looks like I'm gonna have to change that. That seems like too big a chance on either end.
>>
>>146405
It just picked up again after a long hiatus, there's a couple new releases already.

Spoilers, obviously; Hisoka vs. Chrollo is happening, as in actually happening.
>>
>>146423
I know, I'm all caught up. Oh lawdy
>>
>>146423
>It just picked up again after a long hiatus, there's a couple new releases already.
Holy shit, really?
>>
>>146457
Would a man on the internet lie to you with such brash heartlessness?
>>
>>146457
No, that anon is trolling. Definitely don't check for yourself.
>>
File: kk.jpg (106KB, 705x623px) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
106KB, 705x623px
And the next installment of Maid Simulator 2016 continues >>146417 While Mistress is out of commission we try to look for her father's time machine. Hopefully we won't be attacked by robots!
>>
>>146466
Maybe not a *man* on the internet.
>inb4 implying
>>
>>146255
Im sorry to repeat myself, but could you add me to the directory? My twitter is @haremhorn. I hope Im not being a bother.
>>
>>146457
Yup. They actually coincided with the dub beginning to air in the states about a month ago, coincidentally.
>>
Greased Monkey fell

RIP Niggertits, eaten by a Wendingo
>>
>>146517
Snake monsters confirmed for posting on 4chan?
>>
just looking for personal opinions here.
As a player, would you rather get six 400-500 word updates, or twelve 200 word updates over a 4 hour period.
>>
>>146466
>>146473
Hngh, that fight. All them plot lines at once.

Man.
>>
>>146587
Rather have them all together as much as possible.
>>
>>146587
>20 minutes between updates
>factor in writing time vs voting time
I'm sorry, how much time are you giving people to read and make write-ins?
>>
>>146190
>the quality of this board will only drop further.
Further than what?
>>
So I left a few days after the initial board drop. I was around for Licorice making an archive for this board. What's happened since then? Looks like a lot of nothing. Is the board shit? And why are quests still allowed on /tg/? Because this one is still trial?
>>
>>146628
>Is the board shit?
Per players or per authors?
>>
>>146644
Authors, I guess? I don't see players really causing the most problems.
>>
>>146611
Voting times Honestly would depend on player activity. If i could manage getting 5+ contributions in 10 minutes time id call it there, but it generally takes 15-20.
I can average roughly 400 words in 10 minutes as far as writing goes, more or less if the juices are flowing. So i could slam out 200 pretty quick.
>>
>>146619
I'm live for anyone who follows my quest!
>>
>>146628
>Is the board shit?
You tell us.
>>
>>146706
Or alternatively tell us why so we can integrate the criticism.
>>
>>146518
How much shilling updates is too much shilling
>>
>>146518
I feel obnoxious plastering my quest everywhere whenever it updates

I'm on twitter tho: @BlackScribeQM
>>
>>146792
Depends on the quest, really. Pretend that every anon is secretly interested in your quest, but they're never on when you are so they'll miss it if you don't say anything.
>>
>>146514
Monster girl Mercenary is updating!
>>
I always really, really want to run civ quests, but quickly run out of motivation seeing as players refuse to ever use the write-in option, and frankly its just boring having a railroaded plan of event pathed out. Does anyone have any ideas on inspiring player creativity?
>>
>>146881
What's wrong with just giving
>Option A
>Option B
>Option C
?
It's not railroading unless you railroad it.
>>
>>146881
Well you could take notes from all the write-in only civs that ran on tg?
>>
>>146887
I guess I misstated myself, it's not necessarily that writing options is a problem, obviously I don't expect players to create their own choices every turn, else it'd just never get a conclusive vote, but rather all the layers say int he thread are their votes, with little to no discussion in between updates
>>
>>146898
>little to no discussion in between updates
Not all that many quest styles really benefit from player-to-player discussion.
>>
File: 84487853.jpg (69KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
84487853.jpg
69KB, 640x481px
>>146918
>Not all that many quest styles really benefit from player-to-player discussion.

I have yet to find a quest that doesn't benefit from discussion.
>>
>>145840

You forgot to mention that NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS in Banished. The players just turtle up and accumulate spells they can't use. It's the perfect example why passive research is bad.
>>
>>146874

Jesus, we're shilling UPDATES now?

Fuck this board.
>>
>>147066
Does this really bother you? Was there something you were using this thread for that just makes this whole thread garbage in your eyes now that some QMs are advertising updates?
>>
>>146898
Then make a discussion if you want to. I try to avoid having a post that is just
>A)
or what ever. I try to add commentary to each post to persuade other anons to go with what I have.
>>
Hey how long should an average wait time for another post be?

also what do people think of a multi perspective quest that follows different characters at different times?
>>
>>146834
Might have to start doing that. I'll still feel a little weird, but that's just gonna come with the territory I guess.
>>
>>147211
I generally have to wait 15-20 minutes to get 4-5 responses. Depends on how popular your quest is and when you're active.

Also, im personally a fan of such mechanics, granted each person has a very unique and fleshed out perspective compared to the others in the cast.
>>
>>147217
just post it on this thread though. I try to use it to get players who don't normally go to threads like mine because they don't really see the images or something like that.or just some other anon could be looking though here and see some thing they like after seeing the linked thread and go to check it out.
>>
>>147211
>average wait time
Depends on the quest, really.
>different characters at different times
Perfectly acceptable. Being stuck with on character all the time can be a bit... Stuffy.
>>147217
>still feel a little weird
We all will, for awhile.
>>147226
This, all parts.
>>
>>147230
>>147226
I've been trying to keep most of my posts under 30 minutes for a wait time between each update.

If my thread goes dead I might just close it and force multi perspective as the anons who say my thread chose it to be single perspective. Been having the Idea of having a hero and a villain and the anons play both. Each thread will be one or the other depending on the outcome of the previous thread. Like an actual story but influence by the players.
>>
>>147274
When I first read the OP for Audit Quest I wasn't sure if we were playing as the auditor or the demon king. It was a nice feeling. I approve.
>>
What does /qsg/ think of PAY DAT RENT!!1 (sic)? Looks like one of those lolrandumb games but unfolds after the protagonist haphazardly sells his own soul to a demon.

Only bringing it up because I was reminded of it when I read the Neil McMan quest. Rest of Act 4 when?
>>
Hey, someone would be down for a wacky /o/-related quest?
>>
>>147341
Found a better trip
>>
>>147341
SPEEDY SPEEDY BOY
NIGHT ON FIRE
>>
File: 1463271817747.jpg (45KB, 668x719px) Image search: [Google]
1463271817747.jpg
45KB, 668x719px
>>147341
Are we talking more:
>Intial D-esque AW SHIT SON WE'RE DRIFTING Crazy Racing Quest
or:
>Top Gear-esque "Okay lads we gotta go drive these extremely specific cars to this place in such and such a way" Silly Banter Quest
Or perhaps a midpoint between them?
>>
>>147353
Leaning towards the former, because I suck at banter. Also it might be easier to control just one character instead of multiple ones.
>>
Today is the day I lost my Quest master virginity.
>>147266
>>147266
Anybody intrested in a quest that's a mix of civ and risk quests.
(By the way, I'm probably going to go to sleep here pretty soon)
>>
>>147385
That's not a fucking quest, Jesus.
>>
Do you guys prefer speedy posts or quality art?
>>
>>147391
My bad, I'm still kind of a newfag when it comes to quests.
>>
>>147395
Quality art and text
>>
>>147395
Ehhhh, tough call. I'd generally just tell drauwthors to find the right balance for themselves. Players can adapt to whatever the QM throws at them.
>>
>>147395
Let them wait; the quest has to shine, and polishing takes time!
>>
>>147415
One time I took an hour to write a three post length update.

I lost a few players.
>>
>>147395
Depends on the nature of the quest. A silly one like RAPIDFIRE would go well with quick replies while more serious quests like Outside would take time to sculpt its responses.
>>
>>147404
>>147395
Its why im so glad i have someone to just do the art while i write for the quest.
Collab master race.
we both have lots of room to improve though
Personally, if your drawing is above literal stickfigure tier, its good enough to add somthing to the experiance.
>>
>>147424
>>147415
>>147395
Most people will always want speed over quality. It's especially a gripe if there's like 20+ people because they want updates quickly.
>>
>>147429
If you're a pure writefag, I recommend googling images or using pinterest for images. Been working out for me so far.
>>
>>147424
>lost a few players
This is why I want quests to be more accessible: So I can jump in to replace the pansies that couldn't keep up. Overpandering to any audience can be poison.
>>
>>147437
>more accessible
How so? It's more of what catches your eye.
>>
>>147433
>>147424

Let them wait anyway; it makes more sense than making a fast half-hearted post. When I have to make a wall of text, I either pre-write it or post it in tiny pieces along cute images so anonhorn sees I'm going through with it. It worked so far!
>>
>>147435
My artist lives with me so its a great amount of practice for us both.
Id rather have her working with me to make some OC rather than google stuff up.
But if you arent in such a position, theres nothing wrong with googling it up. I think it works well.
>>
File: Map_Physical picture.png (298KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Map_Physical picture.png
298KB, 1080x1080px
>>147446
I can hand draw shit but I can't be bothered to learn how to use a damn mouse to draw on the computer. I'm done this so far which I'm going to be using with my quest.

It's on the computer but took like 7 hours or so.
>>
>>147442
I have large dreams. Basically I'd play a shit quest just to motivate a QM to create. The more authors there are willing to write quests, even if they suck, the more possibilities I can see/feel.
>>
>>147453
My artist knows those feels.
I recently bought her a tablet to aleviate those issues, so shes trying to learn that now.
Not bad though, you picked good colors too.
>>
>>147453
It looks pretty. Can't you get a scanner?
>>
>>144102
>>146528
>tfw we won't assemble a post-apocalyptic carmada
RIP Niggertits, succumbed to turbo-rabies
>>
File: template.jpg (501KB, 1650x1301px) Image search: [Google]
template.jpg
501KB, 1650x1301px
>>147402
>>147404
>>147415
>>147427
>>147429
>>147433
Thank you for the responses. From experience do you guys think a free hand approach is better(faster and/or more aesthetically pleasing) than template use? I've mocked and example. Trying to start something by the way.
>>
>>147480
Free hand seems more lively to me.
>>
>>147480
God, not templates. Anything but templates.

>Trying to start something by the way.
R U TRYIN' TA START SOMETHIN' HERE?
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 566x348px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 566x348px
>>147480
Id go with freehand just for the sake of improving your own abilities as you go.
People arent going to be that picky about your drawfagging, and every little bit of experiance is worth it.
Sample of what goes on in our thread.
<--
>>
>>147496
>for the sake of improving your own abilities
This. If you were going to use templates, you might as well just run a text quest.
>>
>>147453
This is rather pretty. It has that pixel art feeling.
>>
Solo Dungeoneering Quest will run tomorrow at 5pm Eastern. It's basically an Old School D&D quest.

In a world filled with deadly ruins and wicked, inhuman foes, a few brave souls strike out with weapons and arcane might for promises of gold and glory.

You are one such soul in one such land. And you raid these dungeons solo.
>>
File: yeh.jpg (146KB, 844x546px) Image search: [Google]
yeh.jpg
146KB, 844x546px
>>147486
>>147491
>>147496
Man before I posted here I was going to go with templates but I can see that's not a popular choice. How about this. Do you guys prefer aliased drawings to anti-aliased ones when working with quests?
>>
>>147341
REDLINE Quest, friend
>>
>>147535
Makes no difference to me. Whatever you prefer is honestly the best approach.
>>
>>147535
Thats a pretty minor detail. Its up to you to figure if anti-aliasing is worth the time.
>>
>>147537
>>147541
Alright, sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. The general consensus seems to be "do what you want" with the questions I've asked. Hopefully that's enough to pull an audience and have fun with it.
>>
>>147545
>"do what you want" with the questions I've asked
It's not just those; do what you want is the global principle of QMing.
>have fun with it
More of a guideline.
>>
These are going to be some really stupid questions.
How long does a thread stay around for? And on what does it depend if it differs.How does one continue a quest once their thread was archived, Or can you still reply to that thread?
>>
>>147556
After three days, your thread can't be bumped. If you wish to continue your quest, create a new thread and link it in the old one.
>>
>>147211
> also what do people think of a multi perspective quest that follows different characters at different times?

DLQ does this a lot. It's mostly been well-received; at certain points (either as a break from the MC, or in dramatic situations like important combats or heroic choices) I offer anon a vote on who they'd like to be, generally including 'remain who we are right now' as an option. You do potentially lose out on a certain kind of tension that comes from not fully understanding a character's actions and motives, but it's also a nice way to influence the story and show things happening in other portions of the plot/world/quest.
>>
>>147535
I actually like the pixel art/aliased feeling as said >>147512 but that's just me.
>>
Online table top games should identify themselves as something other than quests, it's rather misleading
>>
>>147790
Why is it misleading? It's the original word we've used for a long time. You're note one of those people who call quests CYOA are you?
>>
>>147391
>That's not a fucking quest, Jesus.
This place isn't just us folks from /tg/. Maybe there should be an explanation in the OP or the pastebin of what the different type of games there are. Quests, civs, risk, etc.
>>
>>147969
It's already in the sticky. "Author driven storytelling"
>>
File: Various_dcec26_5311043.jpg (30KB, 261x298px) Image search: [Google]
Various_dcec26_5311043.jpg
30KB, 261x298px
>>148029
>inb4 "That's not what I identify quests as!"
>inb4 "I don't think there's any 'real' quest format!"
>inb4 "I think we should accept civ, risk, and skrimish threads as quests too, to widen the community."
lol
>>
>This board is for author-driven collaborative storytelling (i.e., "Quests"). In a quest there is a single author who controls the plot of the story and who drives the creative process. They can choose to take suggestions from other posters, or not, at their sole discretion.

There's a good fucking reason why /tg/ has a sticky linking to /qst/. There's a reason behind /qst/'s unique feature of text formatting available to the OP. /qst/ as a board, is dedicated to "questing" as it has evolved on /tg/. I think the mod who created /qst/ has a better understanding of quests than anyone likes to give them credit for. That being said, the 750 bump limit is, in my opinion, a poor choice, given that in a single catalog, I can count the number of threads that hit that limit on a single foot.
>>
>>148115
750 is a bit overkill, especially with those that run a thread as a chapter like I do. Though honestly I'm thinking of making the next thread a "go until it sages" kind of deal.
>>
>>148143
After all that we've seen, I think we could do with a new set of rules.

I agree with that/those anons who were pushing for /fg/, forum games is more intuitive in encapsulating all these civ, risk, skirmish threads. Although some people don't think RP threads like Mage's Council belong?

I want to try out a bump limit of 500, keep the 3 day autosage, but also apply a thread deletion at the 5th day. What would that do to the catalog?
>>
>>148143
I'd also rather take off the thread cap per IP, if only to push off dead quests. It'd be preferable to have many threads of quests that are getting lots of updates and votes than half a catalog of abandoned/dead threads.
>>
>>148161
5 would be more than anyone would ever need, including edge cases, but at that point you may as well take off the cap.
>>
File: Curse of the Cluwne.png (133KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of the Cluwne.png
133KB, 400x400px
>>146290
Cutie G, in those storied days when it still appeared on /tg/, was the culmination of all shitposting. And so it shall become again, as the madness that is questing is insatiable and irresistible.
>>
File: 1349052912068.png (102KB, 900x658px) Image search: [Google]
1349052912068.png
102KB, 900x658px
>>148052
There's enough shitters on either side of the aisle (it's a civ! it's not a civ!) that civs on /tg/ would likely be shitposted into oblivion. Not to mention that the janitorial staff are likely not in agreement about what should belong where. Might wind up deleted from /tg/ and told to move it to /qst/. This board is still obscenely slow and filled with shit from guys testing the waters and spamming garbage mspaint swill. If this new guy takes his civ seriously, what the hell is the harm? Board games are /tg/, but it's too slow here to get your panties in a twist this early on.

This new guy will finish his thread here, and then they could try taking it to /tg/ and see what happens there. And if the janitors start stuffing civs, Risk, etc into /qst/, then we'll probably need to clarify just what this fucking board is for.
>>
>>147790
We're not going to make another board, >>>/tg/ refugee.
>>
>>148052
>>148029
The community is the author, stupid.
>>
File: 1460684839876.jpg (55KB, 598x370px) Image search: [Google]
1460684839876.jpg
55KB, 598x370px
>>148435
>>2
>This board is for author-driven collaborative storytelling (i.e., "Quests"). In a quest there is a single author who controls the plot of the story and who drives the creative process.
Don't like it? Then stop whining and go somewhere else, my friend.
>>
>>134248
>QM question
I was tempted to continue Adventure Game, the quest I used to host on /v/ regularly, but found it better to let it be dead
I had great fun with the culture civ I hosted. Reminds me of a civ game we played back then, the player decided to be a wheel-loving skeleton civ .

Ill make a sequel to the recently ended culture civ, but will make it open for all to play, or at least I'll try!
>>
Oh and my twitter is twitter.com/opee_adventures
>>
So I'm designing puzzles for a quest, and I'm trying to make them more interesting/involved than "spin wheels, door opens, yay". Anyone have examples of puzzles done right, either in a quest or elsewhere?
>>
>>148667
Zelda/Indiana

You have a set list of GADGETS that do STUFF. There is a THING you have to do, here are the FEATURES of the location.

Sometimes it won't be about setting the least number of traps, but about setting off the ones you're prepared to bypass.
>>
>>148667
I'd say google dungeon puzzles or RPG puzzles from video games or tabletop in a general sense, there's a huge history of those to draw from.

I'd warn against making any puzzles required to be solved to advance the story- you can't be sure your players will get them, or they may keep banging their head against something without having enough information that would've existed somewhere else, so puzzles isolated "to a room" work really well. They're neat for giving them chances at better loot if they're willing to stick through the thing, or it can be a lead on a new sidequest, or they can turn away and you can reuse whatever would've been there the next time they come across a puzzle.

Though I'm speaking of puzzles very broadly, it might help to know what kind of type/what reason you have for having them in the quest, but if you feel that would be spoilery then certainly hold back.
>>
>tfw interesting premises get dropped less than 5 updates in.
>tfw the most popular threads have nothing to do with quests
Yeah, well, just run on /tg/ or Akun.
>>
>>148697
Definitely spoilery, as two of the three puzzles I've planned out rely on mechanics unique to the setting/system I'm shamelessly stealing.
>>
A new session of that dumb anime quest with all those shitty waifus has started.
>>148967
>>148967
>>148967
>>
File: 1463270033053.gif (704KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1463270033053.gif
704KB, 480x270px
>>148975
>A new session of that dumb anime quest with all those shitty waifus has started.
>>
>>148733
>/tg/

should mods winds up the rest to this board...otherwise, what is the point?
>>
File: Q.jpg (340KB, 2400x1568px) Image search: [Google]
Q.jpg
340KB, 2400x1568px
I return this to you, /qtg/, that you may use it again.
>>
>>149395
Oh man, I was wondering where this went.
>>
File: Oh hey WTF.gif (2MB, 390x220px) Image search: [Google]
Oh hey WTF.gif
2MB, 390x220px
>>149421
GS in the thread! When's the next Inquisitor thread?
>>
>>149385
There was no point. This entire board was unnecessary.
>>
File: Smug lunar lass.png (19KB, 960x774px) Image search: [Google]
Smug lunar lass.png
19KB, 960x774px
If you enjoy quests that have a dark fantasy setting with an emphasis on world building, creepy crawlers, drawfagging and a touch of humor, come check out the new episode of "The Tales of Jack Chitin".

Currently there is a bloodbath going on, come join the carnage!

>>145167
>>
>>149427
Whenever Observer decides to catch up. That's the thing about two quests running concurrently with each other, you can't really go TOO far ahead.

Though I'm glad you liked the Inquisitors.
>>
>>147608

COME BACK OP, COME BACK
>>
Someone, please, bring ReviewAnon back. We need him.
>>
>>149515
For what? The countless shitty MSPA ripoffs and "oh shit, nigger, you're X!" threads?
>>
>>149421
Honestly, it was buried on the failing hard drive of my work computer. For some reason its working today so I'm salvaging personal shit and professional B roll right now.

Saw it in there and had to bring it back.
>>
>>149534
What the fuck are you even talking about.
He was providing honest and useful critique and entertaining reads.
>>
>>149534
What?
>>
>>149549
The comment wasn't about what ReviewAnon was doing, so much as the material they would be working with.
>>
>>149565
Oh, right.

We're running other quests too.
>>
So the rules of /qst/ specifically say the qm can choose to not take suggestions from any other posters.

So how long until we get people posting their stories here and calling it a quest?
>>
>>149811
You mean it hasn't happened yet? The community must be on the ball for keeping the QMs on task and not thinking of doing such things. And it seemed to be such a perfect way of getting the board canned by shitposters.
>>
File: 1462734304321.gif (1MB, 296x333px) Image search: [Google]
1462734304321.gif
1MB, 296x333px
>>149811
DELETE THIS!
>>
>>149811
Well, it's just going to be one thread up for 3 days, you know. Who cares, really?
>>
File: Necropolis-747618.jpg (73KB, 425x373px) Image search: [Google]
Necropolis-747618.jpg
73KB, 425x373px
Alright /qtg/, Solo Dungeoneering Quest will be running on /tg/ in 25 minutes.
>>
How far ahead do you plan your quest out? Do you try to keep things well structured or fly the quest by the seat of wherever the players take you?
>>
>>150051
I think planning the beginning and the very last bits of the end is a good idea. That way I can forge the middle with my players so we can decide together how the MC will go from point A to point B, but a general rule for myself would be to at least put thread #1 through #3-4 on subtle, but non-negotiable rails just to establish the tone, the main characters, and the "goal" of the quest.
>>
>>149811
There are already "quests", going for 3+ thread, where the audiences gobbles the OP's excuses to have 0 character building, railroaded choices and no rolls for outcomes.
>>
>>150078

I thought Dungeon Life Quest was still running on /tg/.

Oh! Zinger.

Just kidding though, I love ya Vox.
>>
>>148052
>I don't think there's any 'real' quest format!
There is, I just don't think you're smart enough to figure out what it is. Rather, I don't trust you to be.
>I think we should accept civ, risk, and skrimish threads
I don't. I think they should go, but I'm not going to push for it this early into /qst/ history. I can tolerate them for the time being because they don't appear to be taking any value from the board. Yet.
>to widen the community
I explicitly don't know whether or not TTGfags are cancerous for /qst/ or not. Again: >>146271

I haven't formed an opinion yet. I'm just lurking and commenting.

Nobody said or seriously believes those things.
>>148115
>"questing" as it has evolved on /tg/
>as it has evolved
Which is to say, not a single bit. It's MSPAFA 2.0 – 4chan edition.
>>148115
>750 bump limit
On other boards, discussion can peter out due to people running out of relevant things to say, so to cull those threads makes sense. /qst/ isn't a real discussion board, so it doesn't make sense here. There's no reason not to have an absurdly high bump limit.
>>
>>150126
>Implying your opinion matters
Please lurk more, newfriend.
>>
>>150126
How does it feel to be over 10% of the posts in this entire thread?
>>
well, we are back.

>>138292
>>138292
>>138292
>>
>>148152
>a new set of rules
We already have one of those. They aren't going to matter for a very long time yet. We need a chance to evolve away from the cancer that is apparently /tg/.
>>148152
>some people don't think RP threads belong?
No, nobody's actually said TTG should stay while RP should go. The people that want TTG off this board also want freefrom RP off. At least the ones that have been vocal about it so far.
>try out a bump limit of 500
Why? What does this accomplish? What do 750 post threads do that bothers you?
>thread deletion
Absolutely not. Serves literally no purpose other than to ruin the continuity of long running quests.
>>148161
>if only to push off dead quests
That would also push off active quests that have reached the bump limit. Lurking page ten, I like to see the rainbow of options slowly pass by. It gives us a wide birth to keep playing after the bump limit.
>>148171
It prevents sliding, so I'm happy with it for now.

That might change at any time.
>>148410
I'm not familiar enough with /tg/ to say that Civs or Risk or whatever belong there and not here. I don't really like having them here, but I'm not about to tell people to leave just because I don't like it here.
>>148435
>community is the author
Yeah, that doesn't really do it for me. Players can't be QMs if this whole quests thing is going to work.
>>
We've already accepted that there are not enough actual quests/QMs to populate this board 24/7. We can co-exist with the forum gamesters unless they suddenly explode in huge numbers.

Yeah yeah, the rules say one thing. But I've yet to see a civ thread get shitcanned so unenforced rules are the same as not having rules until a mod gets their shit together.
>>
>>148733
>interesting premises get dropped
Which ones? We're seriously suffering from a lack of feedback on the QM side of things here.
>>
>>148475
Go to >>>/b/ , shitposter.
>>
>>>/tg/47323282

Solo Dungeoneering Quest is go, delayed by something of a dog emergency.
>>
>>149437
>two quests running concurrently with each other
I am immediately intrigued.
>>
File: 1401307075277.png (862KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
1401307075277.png
862KB, 648x648px
>>149395
>>
>>149811
The rules allowing faggotry doesn't mean the community will allow faggotry. The author always has the option of making it into a real quest if they don't like the feedback they get.
>>
>>149855
The board isn't popular enough for people to want to advertise their novels here. We're going to be niche for a long while yet.
>>
>>150242
Filter my ID if you can't handle the truth, my friend.
>>
>>150051
>How far ahead do you plan
I cannot for the life of me comprehend what you just said.
>>
>>150077
>subtle, but non-negotiable rails
Those aren't rails. You're just a very good QM, hiding behind not railroading.
>>
>>150255
We ran them a couple of weeks back, even tried to have our characters interact directly with each other.

It was a fun mess, that's for sure. Hopefully Observer is up to run it again.
>>
>>150151
>opinion
I don't have one, I'm lurking. Lrn2read, seriously.
>>
>>150300
You don't have one? You've been spamming this thread with your various opinions for the last couple of minutes. If anything, you should learn to read what you're writing, seriously.
>>
>>150194
I was thinking about that yesterday. I'm not really sure.
>>150237
>unless they suddenly explode in huge numbers
Exactly. If our quests aren't compelling enough to pull people from their RPGs then we probably don't have any business telling them to leave for quality's sake.

>until a mod gets their shit together
The board is still young, /qsg/ isn't even a playable quest yet. The community needs to get its shit together before the mods can have anything to get their shit together over.
>>150242
>>150280
Neither of those posts was worth reading.

Advocating for filtering and ossification at this stage of the game is completely anti-community.
>>
File: 1460759164108.jpg (22KB, 249x291px) Image search: [Google]
1460759164108.jpg
22KB, 249x291px
>>150322
Still posting opinions.
Still not lurking.
>>
>>150300
Click your ID to highlight all of your own posts. If you actually lurked more, you might already know this.

Faggot.
>>
>>150296
>It was a fun mess, that's for sure.
I can only hope. Inter-quest interaction is my current favorite potential for this board.
>>
>>150322
>I was thinking about that yesterday. I'm not really sure.
It means shut up and either get a life or actually lurk instead of your diarrhoea of not-opinions.
>>
>>150326
>>150327
Why are you trying to shitpost on a nonshitposting board? Are you the cancer that was leftover from /tg/?

>>150335
I post because I care, honestly. Until you actually tell me why you think etc. etc. and that I should stop posting because of it, I have no problem with being half the thread.
>>
File: CtOuJCG.gif (7MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
CtOuJCG.gif
7MB, 800x450px
>>150333
Right now, it's limited by the coordination of QMs. We're not exactly the MCU writers so collabing is definitely a challenge.

Still, was fun. Hopefully I get to revisit Nix at some point.
>>
>>150341
We're not shitposting. We are pointing out your own contradiction and arrogance. If you wish to see our attempt at helping you as shitposting, then the burden of ignorance does not lie with us.
>>
>>150341
It's more that you claim to be lurking in this thread when you are posting. You don't post when you lurk.
>>
What's the recommended course of action when your thread hits autosage? Keep going with the quest? Start a new thread? Pause and engage in CnC,QnA and other meta-discussion? Post fanart?
>>
>>150396
Well on this board you have two fucking days before it'll fall off so keep going until you reach page 10.
>>
>>150347
>contradiction and arrogance
That's the opposite of helping, which is why I call it shitposting. *Constructive* criticism is literally the only hope this board will ever have for success.
>>150351
Lurking and commenting, yes. Most people, when they lurk, might have nothing to say. I just happen to have things to say, so I "stop" lurking to post it.

You can't do both in the same instant, but you can do both at the same time.
>>150396
Any and all of those. It's up to the QM. Think creatively of the board's current limitations.
>>150402
This. If you want to make your threads long, there is ample room for that.
>>
>>150396
Depends on what you want to do next, I suppose? Don't feel like continuing the session? Start a QnA/meta-discussion, post fanart, or say good bye for now and leave.
Want to continue the session? Continue in the autosaged thread until it reaches page 8-10 and then create a new thread. It'll probably take a day or two before it reaches page 8-10 though.
This is only what I would do though.

>>150407
We're pointing out how you are contradicting yourself by calling what you're doing "lurking" when it's clearly isn't not matter what you tell yourself and your arrogance-filled posts. Calm down and stop screaming "shitpost" to every single thing that proves you wrong.
>>
>>150396
Keep going. If you have to start a new session though, start a new one.
>>
>>150402
>>150407
>>150411
Thank you for the responses, I felt kinda foolish for not making the most of the thread.
>>
>>150411
>We're pointing out how
>contradicting yourself
>calling what you're doing
>what you tell yourself
>arrogance-filled
>stop screaming "shitpost"
I'm not saying you're a shitposter or that you're wrong, I'm saying that none of those things are constructive criticism, rational discussion, or a reason for me to pander to your peer pressure.

Calling a rational argument an opinion isn't a valid form of feedback. Dismiss opinions without saying where or why you disagree isn't valid feedback. It's not a race, it's not a competition, and there's no reason to be hostile about it. I literally don't care if you don't like my posts unless you tell me exactly what you don't like about their *content*. Attacking me or my character or my rate of posts doesn't do anything for me. You either respond to the content of the posts or the manner of the posts, and I only care about the former. The latter can only eve be a complete waste of time on all sides.
>>
>>150450
Come join my thread if you liked either of these things.
>Fantasy
>Paladins
>Demons
>Castles
>Maps?
>People??
>Quests
>Fighting for survival in hell

\/ come join.
>>150450
>>
>>150451
Damn 2k, why do you keep stirring the shit can?
>>
>>134248
>quest board
>its all RP
>>
>>150481
Not news, chuckles. Not news at all.
>>
>>150479
I'm a newfag.
>>
>>150540
should probably lurk some more my man.
>>
File: Varuna Base.png (37KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Varuna Base.png
37KB, 800x800px
I got something I want to test out running tomorrow. I hope /qst/ might be interested even though I'll probably choose to run on /tg/ regardless.
>>
>>150867
Cool? what is it?
>>
File: OP Concept4.png (237KB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
OP Concept4.png
237KB, 1600x2000px
>>150883
It's a drawquest.

More seriously, it's a survival horror drawquest set in an underwater base on an alien planet where you're trapped and need to find a way out.
>>
>>150893
oh that does sound pretty cool.
>>
>>150893
Definitely interested.
>>
>>150893
YOOO that sounds dope as shit.

I'll be there wherever you run it.
>>
>>150905
>>150938
>>150944
Y'all are too kind, thanks.
>>
File: 06inu1.jpg (152KB, 480x661px) Image search: [Google]
06inu1.jpg
152KB, 480x661px
The one shot Dramatic Princess Rescue Quest runs at 12:00 am PST.

Be the tomboy/demure cutie/warrior princess to rescue your honey from certain doom, and save the universe.
>>
Bump limited?
>>
>>151128
750 or 72 hours.
>>
>>151188
72 hours as past, i create another thread.

>>151224
>>
Not sure how frowned upon it is, but here's the quest I've been trying to run!

>>152256

I hope any of you guys that decide to join have a great time!
>>
>>152325
It shows you're actually committed to the quest so it's pretty welcome.
>>
File: Necromancier.png (2MB, 1400x800px) Image search: [Google]
Necromancier.png
2MB, 1400x800px
Come be dramatic and rescue a princess!
>>153152
>>
File: This is How I Prep for Game.jpg (417KB, 1200x960px) Image search: [Google]
This is How I Prep for Game.jpg
417KB, 1200x960px
More dramatic princesses!

>>153911
>>
Yeah, I'm running that drawquest in like two and a half hours, hope to see people there.

It's gonna be on /tg/ if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
File: Loading7.png (70KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
Loading7.png
70KB, 1000x800px
>>153962
Varuna Base Quest is up.

>>47337411
>>
Laughing Dog Chapter 5 beginning:

(too new to know how to link to another thread...)

>>154453
>>
Pokemon Civ Evo Thread 2 is now starting

Come and make war or invent the wheel or something

>>155425
>>
>>150451
>none of those things are constructive criticism
stopping a madman from redefining words into nonsense helps sustain future discussion and actually criticise things instead of getting lost in strata of meanings. Even if the madman is you.
>>
>>155619
Reviving a bullshit discussion that was long dead as far as all the other parties were concerned is cancerous behavior.
>>
>>156269
RAPIDFIRE thread 3 is up, where you take a break from martial arts to eat so you can do more martial arts later.

Also, may I be listed in the Twitter directory? @GuardTemp
>>
Check to see if autosage ate the /qtg/.
>>
>>155655
>discussion that was long dead
Yeah, damn me for reading a post that's less than 30 posts ago.
>>
>>158484
By all means, read. But reviving dead drama is the opposite of constructive.
>>
G'night everybody.
Thread posts: 568
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.