[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pcbg/- PC Building General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 41

File: 1379631050675.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1379631050675.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
Comfy Saturday Night Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
https://pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
http://pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with >>>/g/pcbg
Old thread >>57273757
>>
File: CM-masterpro.jpg (162KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CM-masterpro.jpg
162KB, 1920x1080px
>>57303170
Posted this in the previous thread, looking for some feedback.

Purpose: High-intensity gayming
Budget: £2000 (~$2400)

My current design is
>Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
>Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
>MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
>Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
>Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
>Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
>Acer XG270HU 27.0" 144Hz Monitor

Some questions I have:
Is this cooler I've chosen sufficient? The CPU comes overclocked out of the box running at 4.0GHz and I fully intend to OC it more.
Are there any compatibility issues with the MOBO I've picked? I've checked for chipset compatibility and such but I'm more concerned about space limits with the cooler and RAM
It was suggested in the previous thread I get a 3000Mhz RAM model to go with the Z170 MOBO, which I have done, but would it be better if I go higher?
The CM case I'm going for has some great reviews, but is there anyway I can compare the effective airflow with other cases as that's what I'm mainly concerned about?

Some advice I've received previously:
Forget about 4K, it's not worth it at this point in time.
Don't bother with a hybrid drive (which I was looking at) and get an individual SSD/HDD.

Anything you guys can help me with or comments you have on my design choice would be really appreciated.

>pic related, the CM case
>>
>>57289486

Anyone help me out here with this?
I'm about to just see if I can get parts for an entirely new PC now.
>>
>>57303652
I don't know if it's just me but your original "question" seems a little confusing. Could you rephrase it?
>>
File: 1391646051871.gif (3MB, 330x300px) Image search: [Google]
1391646051871.gif
3MB, 330x300px
So I have been very interested in building a gaymen PC but now my biggest concern is the economic investment.

Is it better if I buy a mid range machine and upgrade it every couple of years?
If I don't care about graphics how many years before a top of the line GPU can't run the lastest games at the lowest settings?
>>
>>57303709

From 2 threads back via replies.
>>57272659
>>
>>57303516
What power supply are you going to get?
>>
anyone know of a good budget monitor for an australian
is there a logicalincrements for moinitors?
>>
>>57303714
Many years. The 390 is still going strong at 1080p, and that's a rebranded 290 which is also a rebrand.
>>
>>57303714
Depends on how much use you're hoping to get out of it and what kind of games you want to run. A mid-range rig will get you by on most games running at low-mid settings but that's all you'll really get. If you're intending to run the newest games on the highest settings then you'll need to start off with a high-range rig and you'll only "need" to upgrade every 3-4 years.
>>
>>57303740
Good question, I'm not sure, still need to see if I'm going to make any changes and work out the wattage I'll be using. Any suggestions?
>>
>>57303872
650 watts is more than enough, 550 is probably fine too
Modular cables makes things much much easier
You need 80+, 80+ bronze is fine and past that doesn't make a huge difference
>>
>>57303872
>>57303970
If possible, see if the main capacitors come from China or Japan. Japan capacitors strong, folded over 1000 times.
>>
>>57303750
Fascinating

>>57303806
I rarely play graphically intensive games but every once in a while something that is intense shows up, my gtx 550 ti has trouble running Mighty Number Nine at 1080p in minimum settings so I'm playing it at 720p with minimum settings and still it has lots of framedrops. I know Unreal engine 4 is very demanding and I imagine games will keep getting demanding like that

So the question now is if i should make smalls investments each 4-5 years or one big investment each 9 years.
That is something my money will answer.
>>
>>57303970
Any brands I should stay away from?
>>
>>57304161
I would go for the small investments every 4-5 years, it's difficult to plan anything 9 years ahead, you never know, you might go off gaymen or get a console (God forbid)
>>
>>57304164
It's hard to tell because barely anybody makes their own PSUs, and they rebrand different quality PSUs within a line, here's a good site with relative comparison and actual PSU model manufacturers http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
I got a Seasonic X something, 650w 80+ gold modular for $80 after the $20 off sale, you don't need to find the best of the best, just get something that isn't total crap and you'll be fine
>>
>>57304181
I'm leaning towards that too, I imagine the worst case cenario is some new tech that render the old gpus or similar useless.

Thanks everyone.
>>
>>57304205
I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
Is a Corsair CS650M a good enough PSU for a i5-6600K and a GTX 1070?
>>
>>57304522
Depends on everything else you have, power isn't just used by your CPU and GPU. Just add up the wattage of everything and add atleast 100 to it and get that as a minimum for a PSU.
>>
>>57304697
What do you think of Corsair as a PSU brand?
>>
>>57304710
I'm no expert but apparently PSU brands don't matter all that much, as long as they're not some Chinese knock-off shit. Corsair isn't a bad brand so I imagine a PSU from them would be decent enough. Others might have a different opinion though.
>>
Help me decide my boot drive

850 evo 500GB - $200 CAD
Adata SP550 480GB - $145 CAD
OCZ Trion 150 480GB - $156 CAD

Is the Samsung worth it for the speed? The benchmark site says it is always the best value for the money.
>>
My current PC: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NKzxf7

I bought that 2 (almost 3) years ago. Thinking it's time to upgrade.

I plan to upgrade everything eventually but first up just looking at the GPU.

Was thinking about the GTX 1070
>http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Tv38TW/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-sc-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6173-kr

The 1080 seems like double the price for not much increase in speed.
>>
I'm looking at the Enthoo Pro M. Seems pretty good, and don't really need more than one disk drive slot.

Still, wonder if there's some similar/better options?
>>
>>57303652
>>57303709
>>57303734
Fuck it.
Building a high end gaming PC and leaving my old one for my parents.

Thanks /g/
>>
>>57305310
1070 is a good purchase. Not sure what else you need to know.
>>
>>57305224

I use the trion 150 to store my vidya, I got the 480 for 100 on Amazon and it was the cheapest ssd there was. Performs well enough for me I guess, no problems. My only complaint is there is no cloning software that came with it.
>>
File: 1461908975924.png (119KB, 579x523px) Image search: [Google]
1461908975924.png
119KB, 579x523px
>first PC is officially a year old today

Is this what your child's first birthday is like?
>>
is there a /g/ guide to after you have finished building your pc of essential software/teaks or tips in general to make things run smoother/easier?
>>
>>57305778
No idea, but i usually-
>Migrate Security Software
>Install CCleaner
>Install MalwareBytes
>Install Minitool Partition Wizard
>Install STEAM.

Speaking of which, going to clean out with CCleaner and bitdefender now.
>>
If all I'm going to use is one video card, would a micro atx be better?

Is there any major differences in performances between micro atx and standard atx or is there more to it than that?
>>
>>57305880
Is there *not* any, I mean. Sorry.
>>
>>57303516
Get a pre-built, you have no clue.
>>
rate my facebook machine
but also seriously, I have a 7 year old computer that i've been marginally upgrading here and there but she's on her last legs of relevance. BARELY eeking out 40 fps on Civ VI

>i5 2400 [Never o.c'd]
>EVO212
>GAYdeon 7970 (bought used in a parking lot of a best buy for 100 bucks and a blowjob)
>Antek 750w semi modular (bought on ebay used)
>16 gb DDR3 Ram @ 2400
>8 tb's 4 internal main and 4 as extra space

I'm wondering if I should keep updating this thing with the 1150 going out, or just make it a designated plex server and start a new build from scratch
>>
>>57306071
>GAYdeon 7970 (bought used in a parking lot of a best buy for 100 bucks and a blowjob)

Are you a girl? [spoiler]or a qt twink?[/spoiler]
>>
>>57303806
>If you're intending to run the newest games on the highest settings then you'll need to start off with a high-range rig

absolutely false, that changed exactly this year

hardware outran the games, low-midrange now comfortably pushes AAA games at 1080p/60

the high end is now for 1440p/144, triple monitor, 4K, VR and other memes like that
>>
>>57306071
>ebay psu

WEW
>>
I need to pick out parts for a custom loop. I already have picked some but would like advice on where to look. Might like someone elses blocks better or something.

Is there a forum somewhere where this is regularly discussed popular res's and stuff?

Want to do a hard line custom loop. What websites are worth looking at for parts?

Should I just get everything from EK or is there more to look at?
>>
>>57307805
EK offers good kits with everything you need already included.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/W3Frcc
its for gaming obviously
my budget is very large, thinking about also getting a 4k monitor

waiting until cyber monday

rate build quality
>>
>>57305880
Micro atx isn't better for anything, you use it because you either need a mobo that can fit into small case or you want to cut cost.
I have a micro atx that only has 3 pcie slots (one 16x and two 1x). my graphic card uses up 2 slots (it overlap 1 of the 1x), so when I install a pci-to-usb-3.0 card, the damn thing is like 2cm away from one of the gpu's fan and blocks the air flow. Needless to say, gpu temp became worse but I can't let go of the usb 3.0 either since I have an external hdd and a flash drive that supports 3.0.
Performance wise, they shouldn't be worse than atx variant but there isn't much expandability either.
>>
1070 or fury x, given that they're the same price?
Or should I wait even longer?
>>
Allright i am buying parts for my computer from amazon, should i buy them on black friday or cyber monday?
>>
I can get a 1TB mushkin SSD or a 4TB WD brown HDD for the same price. Alternatively, I can get a 3TB refurb HGST HDD for 1/3rd the price. If I had infinite capacity, my active usage would probably be around 2TB (rest being used for what amounts to archival even though I'll probably never go back to that data). I've been doing fine with 500GB so far but the drive is getting old and I'd rather change now than wake up unable to boot one day. A bit tight on space but I can manage.
I don't shut down my computer, I only ever hibernate, and I rarely do hibernate anyway.
I play vidya from time to time, but it's not like there's been anything worth playing in the past 8 years.
Other than that, I program various shit and browse the web, that's all.
>>
>>57308059

Get a 500GB SSD and don't buy windows and get a 6700k instead
>>
>>57309000
nice trips

thought i7 was a meme around these parts

i agree though, i think i will do that, can always add another ssd if i want, but upgrading cpu is a little more annoying
>>
>>57309082
i7 is a massive meme and anyone who recommends one is a paid shill or a massive redditard.
>>
File: 41sfZ74OoGL.jpg (28KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
41sfZ74OoGL.jpg
28KB, 500x400px
Setting up a budget build for my sister. Thoughts?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/oponce5/saved/#view=FTLD3C

A few notes:
1. She does not want a different case. She loves that one. Cannot be changed.
2. She doesn't have a ton of games yet so I am going to get her another hard drive later on (reducing cost where I can). So a 120 SSD is fine for now.
3. She loves mods and heavy textures so the 480 8gb is great. Plus we use free sync monitors
>>
How is the new 1050?
>>
>>57309396
>save on storage
>a single 120 ssd is fine

no. just no, 1tb platter drives are reasonably fast anyway
>>
>>57303170
I have some questions:

What benefits does a better cooler add?
Is water cooling better than air cooling?
What makes one air cooler better than another?
What's the difference between those meme brown block fans I see and those 29.99 famous ones with the copper pipes and shit?
Don't these things get heavy enough to sag off the motherboard when hanging off it for years?

I'm building my first build and I want to pick a good cooler, I'll spend up to 120 gbp on the cooler alone, if need be.

I watched a few videos on it and here's what I know so far, so please correct me if I'm fucking up here lads:

Airflow is important, so intake fans on the front, fans on the back expel/top expel. A good setup is two on the front, one or two at the back, top is useful but negligible.

More heat = Components age faster, however, components fluctuating between very cold states to very hot states in small windows of time causes the most damage, so stable temperatures are more important.

Am I understanding this right? Can anyone give me tips. I like to look after my hardware.

I've been maintaining my old build for like 8 years now, not a single hardware fault so far, but never actually built my own from scratch.

I still feel like I know jack shit though and I'm just winging it.

Hard to get good general advice, you know the kind of shit you'd get from a clued up tech buddy at a pub, where he just tells you good random shit that he knows, gimme some of that lads.
>>
>>57309715
I was fine with a 120 SSD when I first got my budget build.

You don't need 1 TB immediately if you only have 2-3 games that you're playing. Most people agree it is enough for the entry level gamer. When storage fills up or is tight, i'll get her a 1 tb HDD
>>
>>57309099
i7 is only a meme for gay men.
What if my processing needs are bigger than my graphic needs? An Iris Pro is more than I will ever need.

>>>/v/eddit
>>
>>57303170
Should I be buying on cyber monday or black friday?

I've read that cyber monday has a percentage less in sales than black friday does based on studies, wikipedia also said something similar.

Am I making a mistake by not waiting for kaby/new GPU technologies next year?
>>
>>57309870
Don't fall for the meme days.

Seriously.

Buy during spot sales. Cyber monday/black friday may sometimes even make you pay less.

Check pcpartpicker for trend sales during the last 4 years of black friday/cyber monday and you'll see not much changes.

CPU's are immune. GPU's are a hit or miss. It's just not worth it.

You'll save more money buying during timed sales so have pcpartpicker email you about price changes and make sure to check google on the exact parts you want to find other vendors not listed for maximum savings
>>
>>57308059
>Asus Mobo
>AIO
>2400 MHz ram
>1 TB SSD
>WD HDD
>MSI GPU
>Full Tower case
>750 watt PSU
Start over.
>>
>>57309807
>>>/retardHQ/
>>
>>57309849
Appletards not allowed on this site. Kommit Your Suicide.
>>
File: s6_proz.png (99KB, 523x440px) Image search: [Google]
s6_proz.png
99KB, 523x440px
>>57303714
Best option right new is to buy the best price perf graphics card. That's 470/480/1060. You'll be able to play games with decent settings and framerate until the next consoles come out (3+ years), and they're all VR ready if you ever decided to get into that.

>>57303750
You're a fucking moron. 290 wasn't anything close to a rebrand

>>57304161
>So the question now is if i should make smalls investments each 4-5 years or one big investment each 9 years.
Small investments every few years. You could get away with the 1050Ti but I wouldn't advise it considering it's underpowered even compared to the PS4Pro

>>57305224
Check reviews. Depends on cache size. I know the Trion 150 is a good drive, might be able to get the ADATA and save a few bucks

>>57305310
Definitely don't upgrade the CPU/platform yet. You should probably wait 1 to 2 more years and see what the market looks like.

Graphics card definitely needs an upgrade. Could get the 1070, but the 470/480/1060 are great for 1080p 60Hz. If you get a 1070 consider upgrading your monitor as well

>>57305710
Full of pain and roanriness? Probably not
[soft i'm so roanry in the background]

>>57305880
Yeah just get the microatx case

>>57306071
>BARELY eeking out 40 fps on Civ VI
That game is NOT optimized for 60FPS. It's a 30FPS game. Pic related.

Could probably stand to upgrade that 7970 at this point though.
>>
>>57303516
Honest could get a decent gaming laptop now days that actually preform hella good.
>>57303714
Get what you can afford to drop the money on to better make your PC last forever. Solid components will always mean you can just transfer them to a new build or add to them.

I wanted to know guys whats a good ssd now days? I have a samsung EVO ive been filling up and am looking to add more storage once again.
>>
>>57308656
Depends on graphics card and monitor you have now. Personally I'd say wait

>>57308996
240GB ADATA SSD as your boot drive and for programs, 4TB HGST for storage http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD4DP0316

>>57309396
Seriously, get a 240GB SSD. My 120GB is cramped. 240GB is literally $20 more. 120GB is a shitty price/GB

>>57309619
It's a 2GB moba card. The 1050Ti has 4GB and won't be garbage nearly as quickly

>>57309799
>What benefits does a better cooler add?
Can stay at boost clocks easily and Intel's unlocked CPUs don't come with stock coolers

>Is water cooling better than air cooling?
Not really, IMO watercooling is for ITX cases

>What makes one air cooler better than another?
Heatpipes, radiator size, fan size/CFM of air, fan bearing (noise, longevity). Ease of installation

>What's the difference between those meme brown block fans I see and those 29.99 famous ones with the copper pipes and shit?
Hyper Evo 212 was really hard to install on my AM3+ board

>Don't these things get heavy enough to sag off the motherboard when hanging off it for years?
They really aren't that heavy, but you could consider a horizontally oriented mobo, like in my bench case
>>
>>57311184
>Get what you can afford to drop the money on to better make your PC last forever.
>forever
No. Mid range hardware is best because it lasts for a long time and by the time it is outdated you want the new features of new hardware anyway (power consumption, extra threads, freesync/gsync, HDR, high Hz, etc). The exception is if you really need power NOW, like you're doing a lot of encoding or trying for 4K.

You have to know what to buy to make it last for a long time. You can't expect the i5 6600K to be the new i5 2500K. At this point an i7 will probably last a long effin time, but at the moment it's overkill and there will be better stuff on the market within a year or two. Probably the most futureproof CPU will be the CannonLake i7.

As long as you buy at least a 480GB SSD, it doesn't matter which one you buy
>>
>>57311222
Current graphics card is nothing because my gtx 570 died.
480's are 75% of the price of a fury X, and 1060's are 90%.
>>
>>57311222
>5400 rpm
lmao
>>
File: hddswhere.jpg (913KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hddswhere.jpg
913KB, 3840x1080px
>>57311363
Yah I get what you mean but I have gotten into the habbit on not cheeping out on certain things. I would still recommend a good mother board and processor cause can always upgrade and bring them over to new builds if they have decent support. Also this gens i5 is pretty damn bullet proof unless you need power for rendering or multitasking, which the i7 is worth the price then. Also is mushkin ssds any good I have only used their ram which was still pretty damn good. Also this is my main rig im working with btw.
>>
>>57311407
Fury X is a 4K card because of the bus width etc, so if you're at 1080p I wouldn't get that, especially because that's a 300W card, which turns your PC into a space heater. Fury X only competes with 980Ti/1070 at high res, not 1080p.

>>57311417
It's a storage drive m8
>>
>>57311222
I think I'm just going to get the 250gb samsung as my boot drive. No reason to "future proof" with anything bigger for more money when its going to be cheaper in the future anyways.

this is what im going with for now. Already have the i5 and the 212 evo on the way.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcj98K
>>
>>57311516
My fucking sides
>the gpu literally doesn't even fit in the case
How retarded are you exactly? Do you need an aide to post on 4chan on your behalf?
>>
>>57311486
My target resolution is 2k, the 1070 is better than the fury x in this case?
>>
>>57311516
Anon 212 evo is a meme tier cooler. You really need to get something else.

>>57311551
The card does fit you moron. You can even fit an MSI 970 GTX in there. Just look at the fucking pics of other peoples builds on partpicker before you call shit. I highly suggest you fire your aide and get a new one.
>>
>>57311613
my 1070 runs 2k pretty damn good on even the more taxing games.
>>
I'm building this http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JqHrcc

It's prettymuch a portable htpc for my grandpa, i'm considering buyingan aftermarket cpu cooler if temps are on the high side after i build it

My only concern is the integrated psu, I don't have the money to buy a psu right now and I'm afraid it will damage the components , any opinions on this ?
Recommendations on the build are welcome

I'm hoping it will be able to last a good 7 -10 years
>>
>>57311644
Fuck off tripfag, nobody asked you.
>>
>>57311447
I'd say mobo, PSU, case, and RAM are the important things not to cheap out on. CPUs are graphics cards need to be replaced every few years. If you buy a 470/480/1060 now you'll have good performance until the next consoles arrive, and by then it will definitely be time to think about upgrading both card and monitor.

If you buy a CPU now, IMO the best buy is an i3 6100 (or possibly i5 6500) with a Z170 mobo. You'll be able to upgrade to a cheap, unlocked i7 later.

>>57311516
Not sure why people want that drive. A 480GB from Crucial or OCZ is the same price for almost equal perf

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/
Choose Large capacity and sort by vale

>>57311613
>2k
Never call it that again. It's called 1440p or QHD (Quad HD, recall that HD is 720p. 1440p is to 720p what 3840p is to 1080p).

Personally I'd say 1070, because of the extra RAM and the power consumption. But if you haven't upgraded your monitor yet, just buy something that fits your current monitor and sell it when you upgrade. There are some great cards coming from AMD and NVIDIA with Vega and Volta, so why lock yourself in now if you don't even have monitor?
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6hJDzM

Solid setup guys?
new gamin' PC I'm workin' on, was hoping to get around 1k, but this is close enough.

Christmas is great, right?
>>
File: 1364723462254.png (130KB, 319x334px) Image search: [Google]
1364723462254.png
130KB, 319x334px
>>57311644
>2k
>>
>>57311636
OK faggot, I'll enjoy your tears when you finally figure out that 10.5'' is, in fact, longer than 6.7''.
>>
>>57311684
>1440p is to 720p what 3840p is to 1080p
Fck, meant 2160p to 1080p
>>
>>57311670
Looks good, you won't need an aftermarket cooler. Not sure about PSU, but likely fine.

Depends on how old he is, but likely it'll last the rest of his life.
>>
>>57311707
>Can fit an ASUS 1070GTX STRIX in there
>Faggot can't seem to comprehend how a compact 1060 EVGA card fits
Just how stupid are you?
>>
>>57311679
Neat opinion man.
>>57311684
Yah im waiting on a good deal for an i7 since the 6600k is pretty decent but could use the extra power.
>>57311696
>muh its 1440p
My bad my other monitor is 2560 x 1080 making it 2k right? and the other is the 1440p one.
>>
File: 1361421970765.gif (805KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1361421970765.gif
805KB, 200x150px
>>57311184
>gaming laptop
Yeah, I fell for that meme last time. Don't get me wrong, gaymen laptops aren't bad, they're great if you move around a lot like I do but the hardware wears out quicker, I've had mine for 2 years now and it needs replacing, and because of the size it has to be it costs atleast 30% more than a desktop equivalent.
>>
>>57311836
No such thing as 2K, if 4K is 3840 x 2160p, 2K would be 1920 x 1080p.

2560 x 1080 is 21:9 "ultrawide". It's like a cut down 2560 x 1440p or a stretched out 1080p.
>>
>>57311923
Yah but apparently with the new desktop gpus shoved in them and temps being somewhat decent has to be doing better. Desktops are always going to be better for upgrade ability and performance but laptops are getting better.
>>57311925
Okay makes sense just weird with the classifications so never really knew what they called some of the resolutions since 4k.
>>
>>57311827
So you're dyslexic on top of being retarded? Nice.
>>
>>57311991
I agree, but you could make the same argument about a console. I'll keep my laptop until it dies because it's useful for moving around a lot with work but my main rig will be my DT.
>>
opinions?

Home server/NAS/VM Host/Media Server

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WrRTr7
>>
>>57312031
Yah but consoles are not PC's : ^ ) The new gen gpus are really making them better is all I am saying. Now just gotta wait till batteries get better. Desktops are always gunna be the work horses.
>>
>>57312071
Unraid OS, 1 parity drive, 3 storage, ssd used for cachine. Unraid runs off memory stick and loads OS into RAM btw.
>>
File: IMG_5588.jpg (74KB, 640x557px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5588.jpg
74KB, 640x557px
R8 build

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6hHZ2R

Case cannot be changed. Not my choice.
>>
>>57312630
besides the meme case, it looks alright for a lower end budget build

when ordering sign up for an account on jet.com, use TRIPLE15 for the most expensive part of your build, enjoy $35 (max) off
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/N3PdFd
Rate my build please.
>>
Is there a reason not to use an SSD as the only drive? Do they have shorter lifetimes?
>>
>>57312866
Yes, and if you leave them off for a long time they lose data. Price per GB is too high
>>
>>57312630
>i3
I think it's worth it to extend your budget 60 bucks to go for an i5
>>
>>57312724
Is it a promotion thing or will that sign up deal end soon?
>>
>>57312630
>>57312851
Looks good
>>
>>57312851
11/10 makes me wet
>>
>>57312929
Are you talking about this one? http://pcpartpicker.com/product/rK4NnQ/intel-cpu-bx80662i56400
>>
>>57313000
I think the i3 is fine for now. Base clock speed is too low on the 6400
>>
>>57313000
>>57313048

yeah, the 6500 comes with a higher clock. But the jump from a i3 to an i5 even a low clocked one is worth it imo

https://youtu.be/UDquxBK-biU?t=7m2s
>>
>>57312630
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/M9VPzM
Few adjustments such as ATX mobo, mATX in a ATX case will look silly.
>>
>>57313075
keep in mind that in that video both are clocked to 4ghz i believe.
>>
>>57312943
its a new account thing. Any new account w/a unique CC/address gets 15% off first 3 orders with the total discount not exceeding $35
>>
>>57313121
>>57313075
>>57313000

this video is a better comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZywuIvaxd0
>>
>>57313110
It's like double the price though
>>
Are WD blacks worth it? Do they really perform better than other HDD?
>>
>>57313366
Overall price is 20 bucks cheaper though and the mainboard is also better and won't look silly. I guess your sister (or so) will appreciate this.
>>
>>57313383
>Are WD blacks worth it
Describe your use case
>>
What is so bad about this mb?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qkX2FT/msi-motherboard-z170apro
>>
>>57313611
gaming, netflix and chill.
>>
>>57313673
Then no. And Seagates are about on par with WD these days thanks to their latest drives not having that stupid overly aggressive head-parking feature.
>>
File: pencil sharpener.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pencil sharpener.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
Is the corsair 200r pretty much the best case within its price range? Not really sure what to get, but it seems better than most coolermaster cases and nzxt too.

Also i have one other dilemma: what windows? Windows 7 is botnet free mostly but it will only supported for about 3 years, whereas 8.1 has six years, a little more botnet, and shitty gui. what do?
>>
>>57311636
Too bad I've already got it. I can always give it to my brother for the computer at home.

Why is it meme tier and what do you recommend getting over it?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WDbzZ8
>>
>>57313768
Linux distro and install a type-one hypervisor to boot into Windows guilt-free
>>
>>57313877
Still doesn't answer my question.
>>
>>57313896
But I did, cunt
>>
>>57313916
7 or 8.1?
>>
>>57314108
Not him, but that's a "false choice"

I'd say 7
>>
File: 20161030_174331.jpg (473KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20161030_174331.jpg
473KB, 1152x2048px
This has been sitting on my desk the last week as I wait for my case and monitor...

Waiting...

Anybody know a ghetto way to tell if it's posting correctly?
>>
>>57313621
Nothin really, it's just bottom tier like those entry ASRock boards, if you can afford speend 20-30 bucks more.
>>
>>57314225
Not him, but I'm going with 10 with my new setup.
Bought an OEM version of windows, (not off kinguin, the whole thing seemed sketchy as hell) locked to a H110M mobo.

So between a 300 dollar retail 7 that expires in 3.2 years and a 10 that came out couple years ago, I'm going to have to go with 10.

I'll just use that "Windows Tweaker" program or whatever it is to shut shit I don't like down.
>>
>>57314361
>ghetto way
You mean the proper way to make sure your build can POST?
Remove the graphics card, put the display output to the motherboard's rear I/O, and power cycle using the tip of a screwdriver on the board's front I/O pin-outs (each motherboard have their own pin-out layout, so check the manual). If it boots to the BIOS without an issue, switch the display output on the BIOS to the first PCIe slot, turn it off, install your shitty outdated piece of crap graphics card with the display cable in the right port, and turn it on again.
>>
>>57314384
This is the most obviously paid-for post I've ever seen. Wow, they really must be desperate over at redmond.
>>
>>57314384
Just fucking pir8 windoze m8 unless you need it for work, in which case buy the latest Pro/Enterprise version. I can tell you from experience that the Home version of 10 is fucking worthless and basically stuck on default config with most admin tools removed.
>>
Purpose:vidya gayming, coding, and Photoshop.
Memtel i5-6400
MSI PC MATE Z170-A
NZXT Phantom 410
Cheap ass Corsair CX500w PSU
I dunno where to go from here. I want to play vidya at 1440p, along with all of my other everyday tasks.
Dunno how to get Palit 1070 in the US... I don't like how heavy the Zotac AMP Extrmeme edition is, not how bulky that three slot fucker is.
Also... No monitor. Planning on getting a QNIX QX2710 buuut I dunno about playing the silicon lottery.
Craigslist has a few for 120-150USD that are over clocked. Been sending emails and they're 96 and 100 hz.
>inb4 "Hurrdurr you care about framerates *tips fedora* go back to /v/ underage fag hurrdurr"
>>
>>57314553
Yes I am a poorfag. Which version of Win10 should I buy and where can I buy it the cheapest?
>>
File: 1477575229218.jpg (37KB, 590x752px) Image search: [Google]
1477575229218.jpg
37KB, 590x752px
>>57314474
See:
>>57314361
>wait for (snip) monitor

I don't have a monitor either.

I tried hooking up a cheap earbud to the post speaker pins but results were less than spectacular.
>>
>>57313366
If you're still here, get a 1050 ti instead. The i3 will bottleneck and so will AMD's drivers.
>>
>>57314384
>>57313768
Is windows 10 pro botnet free?
>>
>>57313768
Can someone answer the case question?
>>
>>57314617
Fuck you, cunt. 1050Ti is weaker than a 960 which is already weak. 1050Ti is literally made for prebuilts without any PCIe power connectors.

An i3 is fine. While not as good as an i5 6500, it's fine. If he's playing on high settings the graphics card will be the bottleneck >>57313170
>>
>>57314670
Fractal Design Define S is better.
>>
>>57314639
Of course not
>>
>>57314682
Yeah, nice memes.
>dual core in current year
Thanks for not even mentioning how shit AMD is. It just proves how little you want to help him.
>>
>>57314721
i3 is 2c / 4t retard

>memes
Then you just got memed on, son.
>>
>>57314759
>Hurr it's a quad because of threads
You are an idiot. An i7 isn't an octacore because of it's threads. Kill yourself.
>>
>>57314751
Its $60
>>
>>57314687
What about this
200r
NZXT source 210 elite
cm haf 912
rosewill r5

which of these is the best overall?
>>
>>57314772
Never said an i7 is an octacore or that an i3 is quad dipshit.

2c / 2t CPUs don't even run games these days, however 4t x86 CPUs of all types (except some extremely low power variants) have no problems. This is the tech board, if you want to make your small mind known go back to /v/
>>
>>57314811
The NZXT case
>>
>>57314516
>>57314546
>>57314639
I know it sounds like a shill post, but that's honestly what I'm most likely going to do.

And thanks for the heads up on the Home version, I'll get the upgraded instead.
>>
I'll just help everyone ITT:
CPU: i5 6500 or higher
MOBO: Anything MSI
RAM: 16 GB, 8 if you're poor
GPU: GTX 1050Ti or higher, avoid the RX series
PSU: Seasonic, EVGA if you're poor
Rate?
>>
>>57314852
Nice namecalling, /v/ermin. Why don't you stop projecting and fuck off?
>>
can someone please help me, i upgraded my motherboard and lost my windows key, i work in a computer repair store so my boss just gave me a windows 8 key but I SERIOUSLY CANT FIND ANYWHERE ON THE FUCKING INTERNET TO DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 8 ISO.. seriously i can only find windows 8.1 and windows 8.1 keys are different than 8 i think?, if anyone finds a download link for windows 8 iso link it please lol
>>
>>57314883
>MSI
Stop
>>
>>57314964
What's wrong with MSI?
>>
>>57314959
Microsoft does have a databse of iso's where you can download them.

But more importantly, why the fuck are you using 8?
>>
>>57313799
It's not the custom cooler you want to keep your CPU cool during overclocks. It's good for example if you have a non K CPU that you want to use turbo boost as often as possible. But an overclocked CPU needs more. If you want to stay with CM a Cooler Master Hyper 412S would be a good choice. Trust me anon you dont want to skimp on the CPU cooling. A cool CPU is a happy CPU.
>>
>>57314879
Just use the Ultimate Windows Tweaker tool to turn off all the windows 10 spyware and forced update crap. The tool lets you pretty much turn off all that shit and more.
>>
>>57314977
Their mothe boards catch fire, not even a meme look it up
>>
>>57314883
>MSI
No, Asus or Gigabyte. With MSI you also pay extra just for the brand. It's like the Apple of the fucking bunch.
>>
>>57315082
Is the rest good?
>>
>>57315058
Yeah, that's the tool I mentioned earlier, but not by name.

Couldn't remember what it was called, but that's def what I'm going to get.
>>
>>57314959
>i work in a computer repair store
Kek'd
>>
File: window.jpg (208KB, 499x481px) Image search: [Google]
window.jpg
208KB, 499x481px
見てくださいお願いします

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nZFnGf
>>
File: 1357917261093.jpg (102KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1357917261093.jpg
102KB, 640x360px
>>57315184
>32GB of slow memory
>>
>>57314575
http://www.onlinekeystore.com/buy-windows-10-professional-oem-key-direct-download.html

If you really want to buy, you can do it there. Can get it for 9 bucks and money back guarentee is included unlike the jew way G2A does it by asking 3 extra bucks.
>>
>>57315234
corrected, thank you.
>>
File: image%3A3341.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A3341.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
If my waifu was a PC, what parts would she be made of?
Pic related
>>
>>57315094
>1050ti
No, 1060 GTX at minimum or don't even bother
>Seasonic, EVGA if poor
Yeah fine, I'd rather suggest Corsair if on a budget but EVGA is also fine

What about storage anon? No HDD or SSD recommendations?
>>
>>57315184
bait 0/10
>>
File: iF4AzOa.jpg (341KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
iF4AzOa.jpg
341KB, 1600x1000px
>>57303170
>>
>>57315082
>No, Asus or Gigabyte. With MSI you also pay extra just for the brand. It's like the Apple of the fucking bunch.
I wouldn't call any of them "the Apple" but pretty sure Asus is the most expensive one overall...
>>
>>57314985
they dont anymore... i know what your talking about but when you go to that exact link it just takes you to a page saying "upgrade to windows 10" and because its the key that my boss gave me i will upgrade to 10 after tho
>>
>>57315410
Free upgrade offer is over "computer repair" retard
>>
no its not...
>>
>>57309870
Cyber Monday barely even exists anymore, Black Friday or Black Friday weekend deals is all that's goid
>>
>>57315442
Are you literally too retarded to post quote?
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-after-the-july-29-deadline/
tl;dr: you didn't do that before the 29th of July so no free upgrade for you
>>
File: ASUS_VG248QE01.jpg (250KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ASUS_VG248QE01.jpg
250KB, 1024x768px
Bought this last month
Did I do good?
>>
>>57315427
yea its over but if you use any of windows assistive technologies you can still get it
>>
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
>>
>>57311925
>no such thing as 2K
yes there is, it's just 2000 horizontal lines of resolution
>>
>>57315513
>this post
2000 horizontal lines would be 2000 vertical pixels retard, aka something just smaller than what's called 4K
>>
kek, that made you guys shut up
>>
File: 1364812205267.jpg (21KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1364812205267.jpg
21KB, 184x184px
>>57315597
>computer repair
>>
What are my best options for 500-750gb SSDs?

Samsung and intel? I see that crucial and mushkin have some too but i'm weary of them being reliable.
>>
>>57315765
>weary
You mean leary, and any SSD with a 3 yr warranty will be decent
>>
File: avatar[1].jpg (5KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
5KB, 96x96px
I'm ordering all the parts tonight, I have 70 euros left to play with upgrading some parts.

i3 6100 with 1060 6 GB
or i5 6400/6500 with an r470 4 GB

In a half a year I'll upgrade the weaker one, so I'm thinking 1060 would be more long term?
>>
>>57315903
i'd say go for the i5/470 because cpu prices will remain the same while gpu prices are more likely to fall, even if just by $10-20.
also brand new cpu means having to reinstall your OS which is just a pain.
>>
>>57314991
I think I'll see how it goes for a year, no need to overclock yet.

Buy an i7-4790 or i5-4690 for my old computer, put the 212 in there replacing the stock intel cooler.

Then get some AIO cooler or go full meme custom and push out overclocks in this new build.
>>
>>57316045
I think you're right. I always liked underdogs anyways
>>
>>57315058
Good goy.
>>
Bout to pull the trigger on this MEGA purchase /g/ quickly rate and give some last minute advice before I go for it
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KzsFXH
>>
>>57316116
Switching card is easier and less of a hassle than switching cpu
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (277KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
277KB, 1920x1080px
>be canadian
>poor-ish fag
>have 2500k
>want i7
>either 2600k for $150, or 3770k for $250 (maybe less for 3770k, but $200 is probably the least)
do i bother? maybe wait for Kaby or Zen?
>>
>>57315378
>tumblr
>>>/lgbt/
>>
I have a 750ti. What are my upgrade options in terms of cards not needing external power?
>>
>>57316669
1050ti doesn't need anything to plug in unless you want to overclock it
>>
>>57316689
Is it worth the upgrade from the 750ti?
>>
>>57316765
Yeah.
bout 3 times better or so from the benchmarks I last saw.
>>
File: 1459482141705.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459482141705.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
Is DDR4 2400 CAS 15 the way to go?
>>
>>57316886
Just get either 2133 for non Z170 or 3000/3200 for Z170..
>>
>>57316773
>3 times better
ehh, just under 2 times, and that's only in some games
>>
>>57316386
Wait for zen/kaby, going 2600k from 2500k for that much $ isnt worth it.
>>
I have a i5 2500k but without a oc capable motherboard (I had an asrock p67 before but it broke down)

Running this old guy at stock speeds its a damn shame, should i look for a second hand z77 motherboard to get it back at the 4.7ghz it used to run at? How much should i pay for a second hand z77 motherboard?

The thing is lately i've been getting into kerbal space program and cities skylines and both are cpu intensive games and i guess that a jump from stock to 4.7ghz would help right?
>>
>>57316914
>getting anything less than 3200 for anything
Lmao
>>
Would an Intel G4500 bottleneck the GTX 1050 ti - or would it run just fine?

What about the i3 6100?
>>
>>57316924
well, I figure I can either sell my 2500k for $100, or make a mATX build (I have an old psu, gpu, so a case+mobo+ram would only be another $100) if I can't sell it

what about a 3770k? I know that in some games, even modern i5s fall behind older 2600k/3770k i7s. and a $200 used cpu is cheaper than the $500 it'd cost to get a 6600k, mobo, and ram

>>57316977
I think it's worth it, for the right price. the issue is, you'll probably find a lot of combo deals, so you'll be paying more (not many people sell just the mobo alone)
>>
first time builder here. can i get some advice? i feel really lost.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRTx9W

plz ignore monitor, keeb, and mouse. they just price holders for now
>>
So /pcbg/ I just bought an SSD and is the first time I buy one. It should arrive in several says. How fast is it going to be compared to my WD BLUE? Thanks.

[spoiler] I'm drunk, ask me anything [/spoiler]
>>
Final time posting on here.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bfFqbj

Only gonna be playing on 1080p, and want to stream/record/render some stuff. Anything I can cheapen? I'm thinking the PSU, but that's about it.
>>
>>57317144
Windows boots up in less than 30 seconds.
>>
>>57317313
Shit, really? What about heavy software like Pro Tools and Sony Vegas? Those take forever
>>
This feels like asking for trouble, so I have 1060 and a i5 6600 but im being a cheap ass on everything else, my motherboard is only €50 (MSI H110M). Is this bad?
>>
File: 1454089325760.png (70KB, 208x193px) Image search: [Google]
1454089325760.png
70KB, 208x193px
This must be the worst time to build/upgrade a new setup when you have limited funds, I want to pull the trigger on 6600k and RX480 (keeping PSU, SSD, HDDs, case from old PC), but with Kaby Lake and Zen around corner I don't know, especially Zen, wait a bit more if its priced competitively and delivers, it would be possible to go with 1070 instead of 480, if not the I'll miss out on all Cyber Monday, Christmas deals.
>>
>>57317445
but isn't zen 3+ months away. I think that's a lot of usage to get if you buy the system now which is my reasoning why i'm ordering today
>>
>>57317339
No idea, never used them.
But I'd imagine they boot up quite fast.

If you have the dosh, go for a 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo.

If not, 750 Evo works as well.
>>
>>57317214
looks pretty solid, nothing that's overly expensive for the tasks you specified

you might consider getting a i5 6500 instead, but the savings aren't really worth it

as a Canadian, I'm pretty jealous that an Define R5 is only $90 (it's $160 here)
>>
>>57308392
That's what I mean. Last pc I built was 7 years ago and standard ATX, but aside from a video card I never really used the other slots for anything.

So to cut costs, I'm thinking of going micro atx this time around. Not sure about case still. Should be fine for gaming, right?
>>
>>57317104
Looks good desu
>>
just finished a build

it won't post

msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard is showing a 0 0 code at the bottom, what should I do?
>>
>>57317932
Why are you on Haswell in current year???
>>
>>57317670
You will be fine, however most matx doesn't have more than 2 ram slots so you will have to watch out for that.
>>
>>57317932
Burn it, it'll catch fire eventually
>buying MSI
>>
>>57317445
Meh, if zen is good, its successor is what you'd want to buy anyway. The rx490 is unlikely to be any gamechanger and nvidia isn't going to be releasing something in the 1070-1080 range anytime soon.
CPU-wise, they have been increasing so slowly that it doesn't matter if you get a zen, a zen+1 or a zen-1.
>>
File: pc.png (157KB, 1619x940px) Image search: [Google]
pc.png
157KB, 1619x940px
is it ok if I have ncix build this for me?

I don't want to deal with RMAs and troubleshooting
>>
File: 1477017897629.jpg (78KB, 427x574px) Image search: [Google]
1477017897629.jpg
78KB, 427x574px
>find no reason to upgrade my Sandy i3 system.
>but itching to buy a new case I had my eyes on
>constantly telling myself that spending money on new case is unjustified when my current one works just fine.
Man, this isn't right.
>>
>>57318311
Its not as bad as you think.

RMA happens >1 percent of the time.
>>
>>57318071
From my understanding, anything more than 16GB of ram is overkill since I don't think much of anything makes use of more than 16. So two 8GB's should be sufficient.

I do need to decide on which type of CPU I want though. Thinking maybe a 6700. Skylakes should be around for a while still, I'm assuming.
>>
>>57318320
>insert sadanimegirl.jpg
>insert first world problem here
>waaaaaaaah :(
4chan in a nutshell
>>
File: prebuilt.png (219KB, 1005x923px) Image search: [Google]
prebuilt.png
219KB, 1005x923px
is this a good prebuilt?

rx480

should I worry about the psu?

I have a bunch of bestbuy credit because an old vacuum broke and they gave me a giftcard + a new vacuum.
>>
>>57318508
It'll probably catch fire with that GPU. Doesn't Best Buy sell individual parts?
>>
I wanna build a PC for moderate gaming, maybe some light video editing here and there. My plan is to buy an old desktop and put in a GPU, is it a sound plan? My concerns are; which GPUs are compatible, will the PSU be sufficient, is the cooling enough? My current thoughts are a gigabyte radeon r7 250 or a gtx 750 and a lenovo thinkcentre m91p. Any suggestions on changes I should make?
>>
File: prebuilt2.png (98KB, 751x336px) Image search: [Google]
prebuilt2.png
98KB, 751x336px
>>57318536
should I get the one with the 1060 instead? it's the 3gb version though

also goes from i5 to i7 for some reason
>>
>>57318537
Shit idea. You will have a tougher upgrade path. Just build from scratch. Also, don't buy AMD stuff or the older 750 ti.
>>
>>57318537
>GPU compatibility.

Just about any kind, depending on the power supply at hand.

>750
1050ti man, 750 is out.
>>
>>57318567
Yup, fantastic. Go for it.
>>
>>57318574
>>57318576
So build from scratch and include the 1050ti? I should also mention I have a budget of roughly $200 so that's the reason I was thinking of doing a prebuilt+GPU. I've heard its the cheapest way. As far as upgrade path, I don't think I'll be needing that since I really only want it for the next 4 years or so.
>>
>>57318625
Yikes, you can't just... wait? That will solve all your problems.
>>
>>57318625
>200
Whew, get the 1050ti, MSI is cheapest right now or get it during black friday.

Look up on ebay with the remainder cash an old Dell or some kind of PC like that, hell if it's a Q8200 Processor or higher, you're good to go.

I say Q8200 because that processor absolutely rocked its way from 2009 to 2015 when the HDD + PSU died.
>>
>>57318641
Wait for what exactly?
>>
>>57318662
Just looked it up, evga seems to be cheapest on newegg. Definitely seems to be a good combo with the desktop you suggested. Thanks anon, I'll add that to my options.
>>
I have a 2x7970's on crossfire which had been doing fine until now, but now I want to play Witcher 3 on max. settings @ 2560x1440

Apparently I have to pony up for an nvidia 1080 for that still? I can get an 280x/7970 for dirt cheap for tri-crossfire but I feel like that won't help...
>>
>>57318703
Skip evga for 10xx cards, they fucked up their shit and the cards spark up and die (literally) if submitted to heavy loads.
>>
>>57318717
Damn, thanks for the heads up. Would a 960 or higher still be viable then?
>>
>>57318671
To save more money.
>>
>>57318709
My 1070 is handling witcher 3 on max settings (hairworks included) right now at 1080p with no problem at all, I can't imagine 1440p would make it unplayable
>>
>>57317339
Ableton loads much faster for me
>>
Hi /pcbg/, will G4400 and 1050ti have any bottleneck/ issue?
>>
What are the best components to surround an i5-6600k if my budget is $1300 Canadian?

Plan to use it for university level programming, blender (which can use the GPU much faster for rendering so no need for an i7), and some gaymin like GTA V.

Is Logical Increments the best choice?
>>
>>57318745
Just go with literally anyone else for the 10xx series. A 1070, for example, is better than a 980ti iirc. Not worth going for a 9xx card unless you've got nothing and won't do heavy gayman.
>>
>>57318745
Just buy from Zotac or PNY. (Or palit/gainward if you're international.
>>
File: firefox_2016-10-30_23-21-03.png (92KB, 190x223px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-10-30_23-21-03.png
92KB, 190x223px
What's the best AMD card and i5 CPU at a reasonable price point? I'm a 750 Ti + FX 6300 shitter and I need an upgrade
>>
File: 1467379231286.jpg (2MB, 3889x3873px) Image search: [Google]
1467379231286.jpg
2MB, 3889x3873px
r8 budget build

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/f982r7

case cannot be changed. not my choice.
>>
>>57318940
Don't get z1z0 for a non-k CPU.
>>
>>57318916
470 and a $165 i5 at Jet.com.
TRIPLE15 should work.
Or SHOP10
I don't remember, one of them.
>>
>>57318955
unless he's planning to upgrade in the future with a k processor.
Derp.
>>
My first build is in the mail, should be ready to build in a couple days. I've watched some build guides and stuff, but any advice for a first time builder? Any easy mistakes I can try to avoid?
>>
>>57315903
i5 6500 w/ 470

>>57316386
If you get the 3770K you'll be good for a while. I'd hold out as long as you can and then get that. Way cooler than the 2600K

>>57316689
1050Ti, but make sure you get one without a six pin connector. Pretty sure you have to plug one in if the card has one.

>>57316985
>buying something you can't use
laoming @ ur lyhfe m8

>>57316977
Yeah just get the mobo. Or sell the 2500K and your mobo separately and pick a up a new i5 6500 or 6600K

>>57316994
If you're trying to play major AAA releases, get the i3. Otherwise the G4500 is fine.

>>57317144
Drop to i5 6500, keep Z170 mobo, get 3000MHz RAM. Ready to upgrade to an unlocked i7 down the road

For a 60Hz monitor you don't really need an unlocked CPU

Get 240GB SSD

>>57317214
Depends on what you're streaming, but that's getting into i7 territory

>>57317378
Not necessarily. You should probably drop to an i5 6500 and get a Z170 and 3000MHz RAM if you want to upgrade later

>>57317445
What's your current CPU?

>>57318709

>>57318775
Depends on the game. Some are unplayable with a G4400

>>57318782
Depends on what you mean by 'best'.. you can get a Z170 mobo priced higher than your CPU if you want. Otherwise for decent but cheap components check this build for examples.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=w6vK8d

>>57318916
Keep 6300, add a cooler if yours is making the 6300 thermally throttle. I'm running a FX 6350 and Gigabyte G1 4GB 470 and quite happy with it.

>>57318940
If you're getting the Z170 get 300MHz RAM
>>
>>57318984
Make sure you use standoffs for the mobo if they aren't built into your case.
>>
>>57319020
Do you have to buy those separately or should they be included with the mobo?
>>
>>57319036
Included
>>
>>57318802
>>57318807
Sounds like a good idea then. Is there any difference between the zotac mini card and say the MSI? If not I'll be going with zotac.
>>57318748
On my list of options if I can't find anything viable for the price.
>>
>>57318955
I got the z170 because I plan to upgrade to a K later on. Initially I was going to get an H110 but it was only 30 bucks more to go for the z170. As this anon says >>57318972

I'm using the jet.com discount on the 480 8gb since heavy textures will be used, and modding games. so I'll need all the VRAM I can get. The 470 won't be able to handle it

>>57319000
Why get 300mhz ram? Pretty sure ram speed is meme tier.
>>
>>57319058
The clock speed is the main difference.
>>
>>57319000
>What's your current CPU?

A goddamn i5 2400, build is years old now, about time I upgrade, that is why I'm salvaging PSU, SSD/HHD and case and cooler as well.
>>
>>57319000
>recommending 3000mhz
please stop this meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-TWQ0rS-SI
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yBTgPs

Just using my computer for gaming and browsing the internet.

I'll get the Vega when it comes out, but this build should be good enough when the Vega gets released, right?
>>
>>57319226
Newegg is having a sale on the non OC sapphire 8gb 480 just so you know, $239 for a couple more days
>>
Should I order the gtx 980m surface studio?
>>
>>57319293
>non OC
>paying 10 dollars less for unbinned
please leave pcbg
>>
>>57319375
It's actually 40 dollars less right now
>>
>>57318756
benchmarks/reviews say it's laggy on 1070's and I already have laggy
>>
>>57319081
>>57319176
Turns out ram speed actually matters in some games. More importantly, I myself see faster ram for cheaper than slower ram due to sales and shit.

>>57319000
If the ram is faster than the mobo supports, it's just getting downclocked, it's still perfectly usable.
Might as well take into account the CPU if you care that much. Protip: skylake only supports 2133 MHz DDR4 ram at best.
>>
File: babycomputer.jpg (112KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
babycomputer.jpg
112KB, 1600x1200px
Hello. I need to update my thingamagic now. I've been thinking about this:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/F62wqk

Just upgrade the everything with 1k-2k budget, my beloved comp is 4-years-old and suffocates on games, it starts to look so old. Am I screwing myself up for going on these, do you have better ideas?
>>
File: 20161024_042307.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_042307.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>32435276

>anthlon 1.1
>fx-5950 ultra (AGP > PCI)
>256mb ddr
>40 gigabytes if disk space
>Soundblaster live

Windows 98, can play halflife on max settings.

Dont get kekked by 3dfx shills.
>>
>>57319469
>gayming motherboard
Everything else is fine
>>
>accidentally put my psu (top) as intake

how retarded am I?
>>
>>57319484
What would you suggest? I just went with something that works with compatibility check.
>>
>>57319484
You need a good board for OC.
>>
>>57319505
More retarded than me, so borderline aspie.
>>
>>57319469
>2*8 GB
???
Just get a 16 GB 2*8 pack.
>>57319508
>>57319509
Gigabyte has the non-gaming version of that board.
>>
>>57319405
480 8gb's are going for 250
>>
>>57319515
Do you mean the D3H mobo, or am I missing something?
>>
File: image.png (12KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
12KB, 500x377px
>>57319427
This is at ultra settings, no hairworks, a solid 60fps
>>
File: 119-1920.jpg (178KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
119-1920.jpg
178KB, 1920x1200px
I finally finished the meme build and starting ordering parts. Please clap.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cpzjWX
>>
>>57320215
Oh god that motherboard is expensive
>>
>>57320215
You could've gotten fast ram, you could've gotten ram twice as fast as normal but instead you just got 267MHz over stock speed ram
>>
>>57320261
Its decent. I want to overclock things.

>>57320286
The RAM came free with the MOBO goyim. If push comes to shove I have two sticks of DDR4 3200 G.Skillz sitting around because my current mobo doesn't like them.
>>
File: ram speed.png (94KB, 610x1305px) Image search: [Google]
ram speed.png
94KB, 610x1305px
>>57319081
>>57319176
>>57319226
>>57319469
>Why get 3000mhz ram? Pretty sure ram speed is meme tier.
Pic related

>>57319429
>skylake only supports 2133 MHz DDR4 ram at best.
Incorrect. How do you think pic related happens if Skylake can't support >2133? Obviously the Z170 chipset can set OC profiles
>>
>>57319176
This person is incredibly "annoying"
>>
>>57320407
>Some of the lower MHz ram has higher FPS than higher ones.

That's kinda weird. How is 3066 outperforming 3200 in some games?
>>
>>57320587
Honestly I have no idea. The way my brain tried to rationalize it is that it's a like taking your eyes off the ball before you catch it to look down the field.. you're more likely to make a mistake if you're at sanic speeds

Really have no idea though
>>
>>57320587
But note that the faster RAM always does better if the CPU is OC'd to 4.5
>>
Baking a budget gaming PC for my little brother, how's this?

AMD RX460 2GB graphics
Intel G4400
8GB DDR4-2133 Ram
1TB WD HDD
400W power supply
+ case and monitor

Alternatives in the same price range would be great.
>>
Do you think you need a case with an extra cooling fan on this set up?

It's me a babby >>57319469
>>
>>57320831
Get the 1050 2GB or the 460 4GB. But at that price you may as well get the 4GB 1050Ti

>>57320901
No, but clearly get a x2 8GB kit of 3000MHz RAM
>>
Is Apacer a good brand for RAM?
>>
Is 450w PSU enough for an RX480 8gb?

I don't wanna have to buy a psu if I don't have to
>>
>>57321229
Never heard of it, probably not.
>>
>>57320831
Budget and location?
>>
>>57321958
~900-1000 NZD, New Zealand
>>
Smallest case that has 2 5.25 Bays? I want to build a homeserver.
>>
I want to build a gaming pc after many years of using only a laptop. So I have to buy basicly everything, monitor, case, etc.

Is there a sweet spot for price / performance? Like a point where spending more money doesn't give you that much more and spending less money will seriously affect the performance?

I want to play games CivVI, Hoi4, witcher3, fallout4 and I don't want to be buying new hardware after 2 years.

I live in Europe.
>>
Is overclocking necessary for gaming?
>>
>>57322011
Yes, everything below 4.7GHz OC is unplayable.
>>
what are the top 5 cards on the market?
>>
>>57321968
http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/y4ydFd
Case fans are optional, but i highly recommend you get at least one because the case has no front fan included.
The build might not be the best or most accurate, PCP didn't show prices for so many items so i had to go with this.
Could be because i'm from EU, idk.
>>
File: 1458106102-SST-ML08B-H-th.jpg (11KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
1458106102-SST-ML08B-H-th.jpg
11KB, 235x235px
Best cooler for a Silverstone ML08?

Will I even NEED a cooler for this if I don't want to overclock? Planning on building a gaming PC but I'll be keeping it at stock clocks. Just a little worried because of the lack of active cooling in the case itself.

For what it's worth I'm Australian so ambient temps sometimes get as high as 45 C
>>
>>57321997

500 dollars/euros imo is a good price point. I can usually get 5 years out of a system like that before I need to upgrade. Assuming you keep the same monitor, mouse and keyboard, of course. I like to upgrade those things in between the 5 year cycle.
>>
>>57322268
>>57321997
while you can get a decent computer for 500€ he asked at what price point the diminishing return start kicking. I'll say that happens at around 800-900€
>>
>>57322226
You don't need an aftermarket cooler if you don't OC, but that shitty Intel stock cooler is the bare minimum and sounds like a starting jet engine.
Good compact options are Noctua NH-L9i, Cryorig C7 or Scythe Shuriken.
>>
File: noctua_nh_l9i_4.jpg (50KB, 568x500px) Image search: [Google]
noctua_nh_l9i_4.jpg
50KB, 568x500px
>>57322226
You could get something like pic related. Intel stock cooler is good enough for keeping it cool but it sounds like a jet engine at full RPM.
>>
>>57319000
> If you're trying to play major AAA releases, get the i3. Otherwise the G4500 is fine.

Well I do want to get the most performance out of the card.
>>
>>57322268
>>57322346
Thats without a monitor? So about 1000€ should be fine?

Honestly I thought it would be a lot more since everybody is talking about 2000€ builds and new MacBook is more than 3000€
>>
>>57322493
800-900 just the computer itself yes. Something like a i5 6500 with 8 gb of fast ddr4 a 1060 6gb or a rx 480 and any decent 450-500w power supply. Maybe even stick a 1070 in there but that's overkill for 1080p imo.

Also don't cheap out on the monitor, a good monitor will outlast your computer and eventually will become your secondary monitor years down the road.
>>
>>57322528
Okay, thanks. I guess I'll need around 1500€ since I need a monior and keyboard and chair and shit like that.
>>
>>57322528
>>57322493
http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/K72wqk

here, this is just for orientation of what you can get for 900€ you can save money or maybe get a better motherboard/case/power supply for the same money and maybe pick a cheaper 1060 6gb or rx 480 8gb
>>
Is an M.2 actually worth it over a plain old SATA SSD?
>>
>>57322838
It's faster in bandwith, not read latency. And bandwith only matters if you're reading or writing large files regularly. So if you're not doing 4K video editing or stuff like that then SATA is good enough for you and m.2/PCIe is not worth the price premium at all.
>>
>>57320407
Are you retarded or just pretending?
>>
How likely are you to fuck over your CPU/motherboard on your first attempt at replacing the thermal paste and heatsink+fan? My stock FX8350 cooler is going down the shitter. I've tried to remove the fan and heatsink before to clean it but stopped when I could barely budge it without feeling like I was going to break everything.

Should I just wait until Black Friday in case I break something?
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QznBr7

>Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
>CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
>Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
>Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
>Silverstone ML08B HTPC Case
>Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
>Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Going for a compact gaming PC build. Did I fuck anything up?

Considering an M.2 SSD, Is it actually worth it? It's within my budget but I'm not really sure if it's worth the extra cost.
>>
>>57323852
>k cpu
>h170

You should really research more my man
>>
Guys. Which 1060 now? Zotac is good but one guy said that the lack of backplate and pressure plate would cause the card to bend due to heat over time. Is this true? And if so is Galax a worthy substitute?
>>
>>57323957
Nice catch, wasn't previously going with a K CPU so the motherboard was fine, neglected to swap it out for something suitable. Still not sure if I should bother, I doubt I'll want to overclock this in such a cramped case, should probably just go with the locked i5.
>>
>>57324156
>>57323957
The K version is clocked slightly higher, though. Only .2 ghz but that matters to some people.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.