[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quest Thread General - QTG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 60

File: qtg.png (14KB, 649x624px) Image search: [Google]
qtg.png
14KB, 649x624px
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/u5xPbk6w (embed)
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities. You will also never read it, so who fucking cares, just ask whatever stupid question you have in the thread.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory/
https://twitter.com/tgquestlist/lists/quest-master-directory
These are two directories containing the tweets of many current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. To get added to the second list, tweet @tgQuestList. Spamming tweets unrelated to your quest may result in its removal.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics, and politics.)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord server (Can provide feedback to new QM's, usually in advising that they stop being huge faggots, but autism is a bannable offense) https://discord.gg/ZgBR5gy

http://qst.wikia.com
This abomination of a wiki gives brief summations of quests and QMs as well as quest culture in general. Additions are encouraged. Not that you will ever contribute, as you well shouldn't.

Archive of quest reviews (if you find a review that is not on the list, please link it in the thread. Not that you will, nor will any reviews ever be posted.):
http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviewsArchive

>QM Question
Why aren't you running a quest?

>Player Question
Why aren't you reading a quest?
>>
>running quests
>reading quests
>>
>>1741785
>QM Question
I am.
>Player Question
I am.
Why aren't you reading a quest?
>>
>>1741785
>QM Question:

I am.

>Player Question:
Also am.
>>
>>1741785
>QM
Because I flaked out once before and now I'm afraid to try to commit to a new quest.
>>
File: IMG_9881.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9881.gif
3MB, 480x270px
It will be in a bit. About to go do somthing for ~2 hours, give or take.
>>
>>1741889
Your posts are always entertaining!

I hardly post in here but I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy seeing your name.
>>
No one saw it probably since it was last post when it got archived.

I'll summarize:

>Be me
>Havign existential crisis after reading QM tips in QTG Pastes
>Realize huge number of flaws and mistakes
>Scrap one massive pre-written section
>Begin rewriting other pre-written segments
>Reconsider entire dice mechanic for game
>End me.
>>
File: ItNeverCame.png (92KB, 428x805px) Image search: [Google]
ItNeverCame.png
92KB, 428x805px
What is the hardest quest you've ever read or played in? I'm not really interested in examples of RNG screwing someone over, but quests where the players have struggled to succeed or found themselves having to collaborate to really make progress, either due to navigating a plot or negotiating some other mechanic.

If you feel up to it, would you mind telling me why it was difficult for you? Do you feel like you could do better at it if you put more thought into something? IE: Is it a situation where it's possible for the players themselves to improve outside of the compulsory "we voted for the dumbest possible thing"? Did you find the difficulty to be rewarding? Has it ever led to any serious setbacks, and if so, how did you take them?

I'd love some examples or short stories about people's experiences with these things.
>>
>>1741942
Don't worry. I read it.
>>
>>1742127
I feel less alone. Thank you Mortician.
>>
File: ACE COMBAT 20TH ANNIVERSARY.jpg (2MB, 3669x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ACE COMBAT 20TH ANNIVERSARY.jpg
2MB, 3669x1500px
How would an Ace Combat quest work? I can't possibly fathom how, but the setting has potential.
>>
>>1742224
Play as an Ace pilot, manage a squadron of allies and waifus and manage a war effort against the bad guys. Seems simple enough to me.
>>
>>1741785
>QM Question
I lost my drive....just poofs out one days
>>
>>1742103
Fucking Blackguard and ascention quest
>>
>>1742224
One already ran a couple years ago.
>>
>>1741889
I'm probably gunna post the obituary some time tomorrow. My plans took too long. Sorry guys. Posts will probably be from a different IP because I'll probably post at work from my phone.

>>1741920
Thanks man. It's really nice to hear people liking the things that I do. Really helps.
>>
>>1742258
I understand the feeling.
>>
>>1742103
Crusader quest although lamplight ghetto quest got pretty bad in its last few threads what with Beatrice nearly firing on railway tracks after eating falsefire

Forever mad that mathilde will forever suffer without the chance to even try and forge her own happiness
>>
>>1742775
But she did have her chance. All she had to do was go on the boat with Elias.
>>
File: 1467858417676.jpg (16KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
1467858417676.jpg
16KB, 480x300px
Been lurking a bit, read through some guides and a few QTGs, and now I'm gearing up to start a CYOA of my own. I just had one question about something in the sticky:

>Automatic permasage after 72 hours.

I'm guessing this means that any thread that exists for longer than 72 hours won't be bumped by new posts?

The quest I was planning is gonna be in a slightly different format than most others, and because of that, it'll only be able to update every other week, hopefully moving up to weekly once my artist and I get better schedules. The idea behind it is, at bi-weekly, we can be sure to be consistent in updates instead of rushing and posting randomly.

If our threads were to start autosaging after three days, that might make things a little difficult. I think it would still work with how I had it planned, but I'd need to take it into consideration.
>>
>>1742884
Once a week is already absolutely out of the question. Every other week is most definitely far, far, far, far, far, far, far too slow. If you plan it right and have posts right up til the time limit, you can get about ten to twelve days out of a single thread, but updating every other week? That's utterly insane, and for all practical purposes just not a fit for this site unless you want all your potentials players to forget you exist because they aren't getting anything for a whole week; maybe even two. Even if you're giving them chocolate covered blowjobs that is just not enough for the rate being practiced. This is an imageboard, not a webcomic host. This place isn't built for what you have in mind.

Make a website and do an interactive webcomic instead, or if you want to do it on an imageboard, go some place much slower like...I dunno. Literally anywhere else. This place is not for you, with that sort of schedule.
>>
>>1742922
I should add that "ten to twelve" is a rough average based on guesses, and fluctuates depending on board activity.

I've had threads last fifteen days in personal experience, but I wouldn't put that average on everybody. Really the point is that a thread with only one or two updates for its entirety of existing is DOA.
>>
File: 1491853442285.png (434KB, 852x459px) Image search: [Google]
1491853442285.png
434KB, 852x459px
>>1742922
>>1742957
Okay, I'll pencil you down as "not interested".

I'm not concerned about it being DOA. I've already got people that are going to be participating, and I'm running it here for convenience as well as possibly roping in some other players. I think it'll be fine in the format I have in mind, and if it's not, I'll just relaunch it when it can be done weekly. Overall, I appreciate your concern, but I plan to run the experiment anyway.

That said, I still need an answer on the "Automatic permasage after 72 hours" thing.
>>
>>1742103
Valen Quest.
It has variously been described as "walking through a minefield", "one step forward two steps back" and "everything we touch turns to disaster".

It's based on collecting and collating information, and reading social situations, which are both apparently skills anons don't have.

Serious setbacks include: killing a player character, killing an untold number of current and potential NPC allies, destroying a city, being two votes from failing the main quest (by some miracle we managed to complete it), antagonizing helpful NPCs, almost dying several times and potentially causing a metaphysical apocalypse.

I love it despite all of the above. The feeling when you manage to solve that puzzle is exhilarating.
>>
>>1742793
And be second fiddle to a dozen French whores once he got bored of her? Then be dragged back to Jerusalem by Solomon or some second fiddle man in her brothers employ? Not to mention what his brother might do if he made a move on Elias's land.

Mathilde was never going to be happy regardless if she went or not, the only chance she could of had was if she played the long con which will never happen now
>>
>>1741785
>QM Question
Working on it, coming up with distinct characters is more difficult than i was expecting, plot hooks and setting are almost done and enemies that aren't just bullet sponges are done.
>>
>>1742991
>>1742884
Do you mean one thread in which you run for a session and post several updates every other week, or do you literally mean one update, one single post, every other week? If the first, then that's not that unusual, if the second, I must admit that's a little unconventional and I'm not sure this would be the right format to run such a quest.

Your 72 hours thing you have right. You can post after that time, but it won't bump it back up to the top of the catalog. As other anon said, threads linger usually about another week before droping off the catalog entirely, so you can still use it and anons who know what they're looking for can still find it.
>>
File: 1489356695553.jpg (397KB, 956x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489356695553.jpg
397KB, 956x720px
>>1743143
Thanks for the info. I had checked a few of the threads at the bottom of the catalog, and yeah, it looked like they lived about a week past their final post, so if the final post came after that 72 hours, I could expect a thread to live for about 10 days, which isn't bad if I'm gonna then update ~4 days later. Once we move to a weekly schedule, it's no longer a concern at all. I plan to keep adventure logs for players as well, so recapping will be easy. I figure it's no different than catching the next episode of a TV show that comes out every week or so - not that hard to keep up on.

As for the first thing you mentioned, yes and no. Basically, it'll be one update, but it'll be one large update at a time - more chapter by chapter than post by post. The idea is to cover as much ground as what might be covered in a normal session, but in one chunk, with illustrations, a selection of background tracks that suit the mood of the story at that time, and perhaps some voicework and SFX - basically making up for slow updates with higher "production value". I know it's not the norm, but I think it might work, and the schedule allows me to create updates when I have time.
>>
>>1743156
You should always give your idea a go. No reason not to. But I'm also in the camp saying this won't take off. You need to really GRAB players at first to get them to stick around, usually with marathon play sessions. A single post bi-weekly isn't gonna do that.

But hey, prove me wrong!

QM Question:
How do you handle having multiple quest ideas/quests you want to run?
>Run a single quest at a time until completion
>Rotate the quest I am running
>Clusterfuck, run them all!
>I casually abandon quests because I'm a sadist.
>Write in
>>
>>1743376
>>
>>1743156
I am quite puzzled by the concept of a quest where the players only get to make a decision once per chapter. Seems to me that would put you very far into "just write a novel" territory.
>>
File: [Contemplates In Majin].png (387KB, 855x481px) Image search: [Google]
[Contemplates In Majin].png
387KB, 855x481px
>>1743376
>Rotate the quest I am running
>Clusterfuck, run them all!
>Wish for the sweet pain of death
>>
>>1743376
>running multiple quests

Only if you have a death wish.

Or if you want both quests to suffer for you being unable to give either the proper attention and focus.
>>
File: Wildcat Header.jpg (136KB, 538x800px) Image search: [Google]
Wildcat Header.jpg
136KB, 538x800px
Metahuman Quest is now live!
>>1743573
>>1743573
>>1743573
>>1743573
>>
>>1743376
Don't run multiple quests. Easiest way to kill all of them and your own motivation. But if I had to choose, probably rotate them.
>>
Wonder if that Insomniac guy who ran that Coffee Quest will ever run again. The premise was really nice.
>>
Anyone be interested in a quest that takes place over 1000's of years, where you are a humble tree and you influence people around you to do x
>>
I've been thinking of doing a horror quest with a definite ending and with players controlling several characters over the course of a few threads. Who lives and who dies depends on the choices made, as does the ultimate outcome. Probably two threads a week to keep it to a month and a half. Not sure if there's an audience for that, since most quests are open-ended. Thoughts?
>>
>>1743846
Horror is incredibly difficult to pull off in a quest, but going through the same scenario through different characters is perfectly fine. I'd say think about keeping it shorter than a month though. Drawing things out WILL kill the mood.
>>
>>1743855
I meant horror as the scenario in question. Frightening the players wouldn't really be the purpose of the quest. Getting to know the characters and deciding how their fate plays out is what I have in mind.

As for drawing things out, I haven't really settled on a definite length. There are five potential characters, and each would get at least one thread to lead to a resolution of some sort, with their stories occurring during different parts of the timeline. That, and possibly a prologue thread. So for example, playing as Character A could lead to them dying. Picking up later with Character B finding the body.
>>
>>1743846
Do it. Only way to find out if people are interested. Just make sure the title isn't dumb or overly niche.

>>1743855
Ruby did it fine though every copy cat afterwards failed miserably.
>>
>>1743868
>a prologue thread
Please don't.

Dive straight in, surround the players with a heavy mist of confusion and mystery. Leave plenty of gaps for the players to fill out with their imaginations. Provide seemingly contradictory evidence to their theories.

Don't turn on the lights. Always leave us wondering, to the very end. And for that reason, keep it short.
>>
>>1743892
I find the ol', "you wake up in a room and no idea how you got there, here's some items" scenarios to be extremely dull. I'll keep that in mind though.
>>
>>1743892
>>1743927
You shouldn't copy Ruby Quest. It existed in an entirely different biome and thrived in that exact biome. It would not thrive on /qst/.
>>
>>1743937
I wasn't telling him to do a ruby copy cat. It was a warning.
>>
Anyone mind filling me in as to why Gemini quest is so popular? Flipped through it and nothing really stood out about it.
>>
>>1743974
It pulled in everyone waiting for a good RWBY quest. Untapped market apparently. Other than that, the QM should get points for really solid writing.
>>
File: IMG_9877.jpg (38KB, 237x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9877.jpg
38KB, 237x600px
Hello all. For those uninitiated I am a /qtg/ entity who posts short quips about a dead quest. These posts are for those who wish to know why the board is filled with withering carcasses of failed ideas. I am the mortician and this is this week's obituary.

Preface:
I'm not the most busiest person but my schedule is usually fucked and Fridays being off is a rare occasion. Once things line up and slow down I'll be able to address items more frequently. If you're wanting me to do an autopsy on a quest I may or may not decline due to the nature of my shitty schedule.

>>1710782
Quest. Op had a tie and went to sleep. Slept too long it seems. Either should of rolled for it or picked one once he got up. Pronounced dead.

>>1712879
Quest. Woah. Alright there are a few things wrong with this one. Writing, display, and format. I'm going to go ahead and do something more in depth later but for now, pronounced dead.

>>1706321
Draw Quest. The death of all draw quests. The "what do" pitfall. Pronounced dead.

>>1706321
Quest. "Char gen" pitfall. Pronounced dead.

>>1710907
Civ quest. Op fell out. Pronounced dead.

>>1708027
Quest. Number of problems. "Chargen", overly obtuse rolling rules, and the formatting of prose. Finally the players left after he explained the rolling. This lead the QM not getting any players and do he left. Pronounced dead.

>>1710027
Quest. Op doesn't know how to do options correctly. What not how. Pronounced dead.

>>1709708
Quest(?). Op doesn't know what options are or how to make them obvious. Lern24matt. Pronounced dead.

>>1721629
That's not a quest.

>>1722308
Quest. Format. Pronounced dead.

———•
No one likes walls of text. Learn how to do paragraphs and how to correctly handle dialogue.
———•

>>1716403
Quest. Op didn't post in time and lost his few players. The actual premise and how he started the quest is the reason for the lack of players. Unattractive from the catalog. Pronounced dead.

>>1723173
Civ. The way of most civs. Op never posted. Pronounced dead.

Probably missing a good portion of the quests that died. Ask me why and link them and I'll try to answer at work. Finishing up while on lunch break right now. Next Friday I'm not off but I'll be off earlier that I usually am. I'll try to do something but I'm not making any promises.

Also, if you want, ask me any questions and I'll try to answer all of them.
>>
>>1744060

Academy Tournament Organisation Quest is running!
>>
So, fags. What are your top three favorite currently running quests, and why?

>>1744015
What are your top three favorite currently running quests, and why? Fag.
>>
>>1744134
Valen Quest, because I'm addicted to suffering.
Heavenly Child, because I'm addicted to suffering.
Panzer Commander, because I also like tanks.
>>
File: tumblr_njwjm7MrCD1unybino1_500.jpg (87KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njwjm7MrCD1unybino1_500.jpg
87KB, 500x714px
>>1744182
>>1744182
>>1744182

Dark Empire continues. Galactic conquest with a small side of humanity.
>>
>>1742103
Probably Earth Bender Quest by Som - due to the sheer amount of bullshit each thread.
>>
>>1744134
>Nerv Bridge Simulator. IT made me sad, angry, and overjoyed. I felt real human emotions about fake people and events.It's "Currently" running but has been delayed.
>>
>>1744134
>top three favorite currently running quests, and why?
Black Company Quest - amazing writing, cool setting and meaningful decisions
Trawler Quest - cool art style and the CoC-esq horror setting on the ocean is quite unique
Star Wars: Dark Empire - interesting dual perspectives and I'm a sucker for anything Imperial / Star Wars
>>
The quest of Anil Basdrov, yet another pale officer who was sent to an old and decrepit town of Utobra continues

Again, we were just getting starting so if anyone wanna jump straight in, please do so.

>>1738560
>>1738560
>>1738560
>>1744015
i would like you to take a glance at my quest, see what is wrong with it. if you please.
>>
>>1744720
do you not know what the word Mortician means?
>>
>>1744803
I do.

Some words fleet my mind. sorry anon
>>
File: Young Justice.jpg (65KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
Young Justice.jpg
65KB, 615x346px
I want to run a Young Justice quest in the DC universe, and I thought I'd run it on Fridays since neither Teen Tians nor DC Quest seem to be running on Friday anymore. The pastebin resource says it's best to run between 1600 and 500 UTC, but for me that's 11:00 PM to 10:00 AM, which is kinda fucking brutal since I intend to run for at least six hours at a time. Is running 8:00 PM to 2:00 AM acceptable?

Also, would >>1744015 or anyone else be kind enough to review my opening three posts before I start the quest?
>>
>>1744840
Discord or pastebin? Either way, post
>>
>>1744928
I'll create a pastebin once I'm done drafting this shit. Should've been clearer, I am still typing this up.
>>
>>1744015
Do you save your reviews on a pastebin with a title for each quest or do you just keep them all in thread?
>>
>>1744987
Notepad and then paste it in.
>>
>>1744134
I'm not gay D:

But the three quest's I enjoy right now is,

- House Grallner by "The Warrior", or more well known as "The Father". Mainly because I like the setting I thought the char gen process was pretty neat. Then the first /real/ thread was amazing. He's a pretty good writer and honestly a lesser man(woman(?)) would easily fail at it.

- The World Tree Skirmish quest is another since I really like the artwork for it. It's a high quality quest that reminds me of the other skirmish quest based in a fuax Miami that's similar to hotline Miami. I'm not participating, just enjoying it.

- The last quest I think should be enjoyable would be the WWII mech quest by CursedQM because I think the guy is a pretty cool guy and is honestly not a terrible writer. Also it's an interesting idea for a setting that I myself had for a long time. Other quests by him aren't too terrible either, the Undead Quest is amungst them.

>>1744720
Well first off, it looks unpleasant to read. Italics is kind of painful to read and having a large block of it as your first post is probably a deterrent. Other things like coloring the text is also something you should avoid doing. The actual writing isn't bad but it puts the reader in a weird position as to what is going on and what it is.

Further reading it is clear it is a letter and is a neat gimmick but doesn't feel like it would make sense. Probably should of started off with a little quip about the letter arriving and the mc opening it. Having the letter being the first thing the player reads isn't the best to describe what is happening. The first post also has a few grammatical errors which makes it a bit confusing to read, but still makes sense. The whole "Let's eat, Grandma! V Let's eat Grandma!" applies to the quest.

There are several instances of this.

Then the actual "Short Quest" or "One Shot" turns off a lot of people since some are wanting to invest into a story instead of something they know will end really quickly. I'm not sure how people feel about not telling the players that you're actually doing a short quest but if you don't tell them then you'll probably pull in a lot more people.

If you're unsure about a few things I can clear it up for you. Sorry about the late reply, just getting off work.
>>
>>1745167
thank you for your input.
>>
>>1745210
No problem. Like I said, any more questions about the quest, just ask. Just keep in mind I'm not really a review anon so actual storyline bits I'm probably not going to be able to help with.
>>
>>1745167
You don't have to be gay to be a fag, fag.

World Tree looks very well made but the mechanics look like a brick wall as far as the purposes of getting into it go. I've never liked the idea of quests with too complex of mechanics; you can't automate anything in a quest, and the movement and changing things requires much work on its own. Even the briefest actions in a normal game take ages in a quest; the more there is happening, the more intimidating it is.

That said World Tree looks well crafted and the post count suggests that it has no problem with players, so I will readily attribute its success to QM skill.
>>
>>1745167
Oh wow. I probably should of re-read what I typed. I think I was having a stroke when writing this.
>>
>>1745248
Yeah that's why I'm not participating. Really just put it up there because I'm not reading any quests that aren't dead and I liked the pretty pictures he made. Might go read something that's alive but I won't be able to keep up with it all the time.
>>
What is the board etiquette on lewd content in quests? I know outright smut images are not permitted on the board, but what about mildly literary content? Does the board culture frown on it?
>>
>>1741785

>QM Question
Because I ran a couple once and got burnt out on the whole damn concept. Also a major lack of time has made the possibility of running anything non-existent.

>Player Question
Because none of the ones currently running interest me. And again,
I ain't got time to read any of the shit that's taking up space on this graveyard of a board.
>>
>>1745560

I would recommend using pastebins, as this board is supposed to be blue and racy text will get your ass banned faster than LTG throwing a hissy fit on a stream.
>>
>>1745683
While this is true, it is also a ridiculous ruling by whatever moderation enforces it. These aren't images, they're text. If smut text is banned, gore text should be banned too.
>>
>>1743974
This happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Qw-ztFrK4
>>
>>1746142
I . . . what
>>
>>1746252

A new Journey has been Realized.
Players pending...
>>
>>1744015
Looks like I evaded the /qst/ guillotine... For now at least.
>>
>>1746295

I'm a stranger here. Should I run my quest at a different time? and how long do the quests stay on this board?
>>
>>1746310
Tod der unschuld...
>>
>>1746320
Thank you?
>>
>>1746310
What do you mean by that? I mean for me personally I usually run at around 7:00pm on weekends and weekdays but that's usually because of my job. If I could have my way I would run it at 5:00pm but run whenever you want to or able to.

As for how long quests can last that can be all over the place. The most popular ones in the boards history have lasted for hundreds of threads.
>>
>>1746350
Ah, I meant how long can a thread stay on the board. Like, if I can crash and get back to it in the morning if there's no replies right now.
I'm west coast and I get out of work at 9pm. Guess I might appeal to Euros?
>>
>>1746357
Oh yeah you can easily do that, threads normally last until they either hit the bump limit or are threatened about being slid into the archives.

What kind of a quest will you be running anyways?
>>
>>1746378
Harken to
>>1746267

World Trigger meets Digimon.
Digital monsters invaded the world ten years ago and abducted vast swathes of people. You're a trainee among many that use special technology to fuse with a captured monster known as a Dmon to battle the extradimensional threat.
>>
File: 1468606519310.gif (151KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1468606519310.gif
151KB, 400x267px
>>1746267
Haha wow. I was JUST about to start a Digimon-based CYOA. I almost posted it yesterday, but I decided to finish up some work on it and do it next week.

WELP, guess I'll be holding off on that.
>>
>>1746391
threads will last about a week, maybe more.

This looks....promising. But I hope we don't run into many more
>what, not how
issues.
>>
So I've got what I think is a really good idea for a Superhero Quest and for the first thread I want to have character creation. Any advice?
>>
>>1746743
>and for the first thread I want to have character creation.
am I to assume that this is your first time here and have neither read about char gen in the OP nor are aware of how often char gen is talked about here?
>>
>>1746760
Well this is my first time bothering to come into one of these types of threads. Why?
>>
>>1746773
i suggest you turn your attention to line 3 of the OP
>>
>>1746773
okay then, how do you intend to do your char gen? No wait: what is char gen to you, and what purpose does it serve?
>>
>>1746777
I just think its a nice alternative to just coming up with a random guy and having to explain who he is and where he comes from. Everyone who plays can have a say in what kind of character it'll be, where they'll be from, etc. Plus it seems like a lot of fun. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>1746812
Instead you're now having a bunch of people making a completely random guy and then having to make up a backstory for that person.

It also might not be someone you'd enjoy writing.
>>
>>1746812
>it seems like a lot of fun
It does. The kind of fun people have proposing to play D. X. Ucker, the futa loli
Remember, at this point the readers are not invested in your quest. Just shitposting might be more fun for them than earnest character creation.

Even if you escape that fate, everyone having a say in the character also means everyone will have to compromise, and that just leaves everyone dissatisfied. Expect a lot of salt. Especially if you imply any possibility of a romantic plotline - the gender vote will be really heated.

Third, if you set no limits, expect people to try and steer the quest to smut.
>>
>>1745248
>>1745279
It's just a a skirmish like many others; you can join with surprising ease ( and you're welcome to )

It's a lot less complex than appears
Play knight
Hit things
>>
>>1746812
Because people won't be invested. If the opening post makes it clear here's this guy, here's his deal and here's what he wants to do, it's clear the QM actually has a plan.

Also it makes it have a clear hook. Maybe I'm in the mood for playing a prince in exile or a filthy peasant determined to stop the goblins stealing his turnips or a killer robot worried that successfully killing all the humans has now invalidated its existence. If the character isn't determined yet, you don't have that as a selling point.

Think about it - quests have two big draws and that is the setting and what you're going to do in that setting. If one's completely indeterminate at the quest start, you're missing out on a lot of potential suggesters.

I'm not saying character generation is something that should never be done, but it should be focused. You pilot a giant robot, what's your robot like sort of thing. Customisation rather than full sandbox.
>>
File: Visible Breenface.png (222KB, 659x371px) Image search: [Google]
Visible Breenface.png
222KB, 659x371px
Just clicked on this board after realizing I hate all the boards I browse. How do I get into this and what am I in for?
It's a larping board right?
>>
>>1746908
Think table top RPG but with only a single player character and the actions are decided by majority vote. Most quests have a link to previous threads in the opening post. It is appreciated to read those before participating.
>>
>>1746917
That's surprisingly simple.
>>
>>1746918
There also are skirmishes (tabletop strategy games where each player controls a single unit), civs (I don't know how they work) and sometimes Risk threads.
>>
>>1746918
ah, but then you open the inch thick manual about shitposting and GM/player meltdowns.
>>
>>1746946
It be a curse that no general can escape, the true downfall of all that is general threads.
>>
>>1746951
Quests.

>What am I in for?
Excitement. Exhilaration. Disappointment. Frustration. Joy. Quest is a powerful thing.

>How do I get into this?
1: browse catalog for neato quests.
2: Lurk
3: Read the pastebin guides, or at least skim and pretend to
4: Run your own quest!
5: Sink or swim and learn something new
6: Do even better next time.
7: Rinse Repeat

You either die a QM, or live long enough to to see yourself one of those guys who only come on this board to talk about how dead it is.
>>
>>1747015
You should write and narrate trailers.
>>
File: Basic advice for new QMs.png (444KB, 2952x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Basic advice for new QMs.png
444KB, 2952x1066px
>>1746688
You're right. Also that reminds me, I apologize for giving the wrong statement about a quest. The sword quest.

>>1744015
Addendum I
Sword Quest
>>1710027
This quest was not about the problems with options, though that was the final nail, the real problem was with the pacing and I dare say the story. The entire thing is placed in a forest(?) and you are sitting there swinging it. For what? It's like a draw quests "what do" but instead of options it's the place. Give the players incentives to move out and explore. Maybe start in a dugeon or something similar to darksouls. Pronounced dead.

I'm sorry about not completely looking at the quest and giving it a half-cocked answer. The "What, not how" does not apply to this quest.

>>1744015
And for the lack of me posting this picture.

>>1747015
This.
>>
>>1747049
I need to learn to read my shit over before I post.

>>1746295
;^)

>>1746841
I'm also too busy to participate in anything like that though.
>>
>>1746603
Well, my Digimon Trigger is a bit more Digimon Frontier than the whole dedicated partners thing. I'd love to see tamers get some love. What were you going to do?
>>
File: 1475272849289.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1475272849289.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>1741785
>Why aren't you running a quest?
Internet & schedule are inconsistent until I go back to college in 3 weeks.
>Why aren't you reading a quest?
I've looked at a few but the ones that grab my attention have been going a while and I haven't had a chance to read backstory between my Summer job and a huge backlog I've been trying to crack down on in my main hobby.
>>
>>1747049
Mortician, would you ever be willing to do a post-mortem on a quest that ran a few sessions?Like 2-3.

What about if it were archived?
>>
>>1744015
>>>1706321 →
>Draw Quest. The death of all draw quests. The "what do" pitfall. Pronounced dead.
>>>1706321 →
>Quest. "Char gen" pitfall. Pronounced dead.
Uh, Mortician, that's the link to the same thread.
>>
I have to hit the hay soon, so in a gesture of gratitude for the entertainment the QM of the quest I am contributing to has provided me I have decided to shill his thread...

The setting seems to be a mixture of low and dark fantasy. The premise thus far is that you are a mercenary contracted to kill a giant bat-like monster which has been terrorizing a settlement. If this sounds interesting to you then I urge you to check out the following thread:

>>1746872
>>
>>1741785

Because I'm busy I'm currently busy study language and programming while working.

But right now I'm currently making rules and setting for my future Civ/Quest where players take control of dimensional traveler clans/factions. And yes you will have ability to play as maids too if you want.

I'm reading some quest but not all of them.

>>1743376

>Write in
I tried run a single quest but sometime I run a one-shot quest or shorter quests.
>>
>>1747185
If it was archived, yeah. It'll take some time. A few days at least. One if I'm off that day.

>>1747307
Yeah you're right. This should be it. >>1715208
>>
>>1747317
Yeah. probably would be cool to have an anti-me which does upcoming quests that seem promising instead of dead quests. When I started, a few anons had the same idea and I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't start it so I'm going to remind them and say that it'll be pretty helpful to readers and QMs.

Bias and favoritism would come into that as a problem but we would need to pump life into the board even if it comes to that. Having people talk about new quests and that they like certain bits about it will do exactly that.

>>1747445
Again, I'm not really a review anon. I'm just looking at dead quests which died too quickly to judge the story or the QM's personality and such. What I do is for upstart QMs who don't know how to draw in players. If someone reaches a few threads over and then croaks then I'm not going to review it in my Obituaries. But I can go and do a post-mortem under special requests and they will take some time as I'll have to review the story, prose, composition and what not. If you want to request some quests then go ahead. I'll put them in my back burner and read them when I have time.
>>
>>1741785

It's my first one, and I'd like for it to be decent. I'm still working on the writing and mechanics.
>>
>>1747490

Yeah it is quit normal that new quest die but even some older quests. I had seen some promised quest die. I self had run a quest for over one year until I decided to put it on ice because of lack of players

It is good thing that you could review some dead quest so that other QM could learn from the mistakes.
>>
QM Question:
>What's the most effective magic system?
>>
Is the archive fucked or something? Reading SSQ, and in threads ~75 - 85 I get an "Nginx Error" almost everytime I try to open a picture, on phone and PC. Anyone know what's wrong?
>>
>>1747992
Well, either that or "untrusted connection".
>>
>>1748007
thats when 4chan's image CDN was being weird with urls and a lot of images didn't get archived, maybe the other archives have them
>>
>>1747919
One that is adaptable in having easy go-to's while allowing players flexible options, but only truly rewarding if they're willing to put in a good amount of thought. Not puzzle-esque, but engaging beyond basics. I'd recommend Banished Quest's magic system for a look.
>>
>>1747919
>>1748320
As an expansion to this, I'd also recommend finding magic systems you like from games you enjoy, and then retooling them specifically for the quest you have in mind.
But don't bother going too in depth unless you intend for them to use it as autistically as you can't imagine.
>>
File: 1490367251253.png (534KB, 501x776px) Image search: [Google]
1490367251253.png
534KB, 501x776px
>>1747113
It was a mix of things, and could have a heavy Frontier feeling, depending on where the quest went. Tamers was in there, along with classic Adventure.
>>
File: 2.1.1.jpg (139KB, 421x640px) Image search: [Google]
2.1.1.jpg
139KB, 421x640px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://fiction.live/stories/The-Paladin-of-Avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/31-The-Time-of-Ravens/CsKkNLXgsR8c5iMY5
Are you really a prince?
>>
File: Bare Fists (L Blg +4).jpg (44KB, 600x325px) Image search: [Google]
Bare Fists (L Blg +4).jpg
44KB, 600x325px
>>1741785
>>QM Question
But I am. American Arcana Quest is on:
>>1749044
>>1749044
>>1749044

>>Player Question
Because I'm running a quest.
>>
>>1745232
Well, i will do a redux soon with the same foundations of the original request.

i want to ask: how i can make it a bit more appealing for new comers?

should i do redux in the first place, it might wind up dead aswell?
>>
File: 23124123.jpg (326KB, 1200x448px) Image search: [Google]
23124123.jpg
326KB, 1200x448px
>no pred quest
>no team
>no fish
NOTHING HAS TOPPED IT
IT HAD THE SPECIAL SAUCE
>>
File: 20131222213203a0dnx6vcsz6qfhlc.jpg (87KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
20131222213203a0dnx6vcsz6qfhlc.jpg
87KB, 640x427px
For anyone interested, yet another jojo quest is running right now!

>>1744414
>>1744414
>>1744414
>>
Panzer Commander will be running on and off through this week, til the thread's gone. Be warned that my consistency in beginning at a good time, starting at the times I plan for, and updating at a reasonable rate, is almost as bad as my ability to write prose and create depictions of the fictional world that I write.

Anyways a few people think it's neat so you might too.

>>1726699
>>1726699

There may or may not be a battle happening in this week, depending on how occupied I get with things I did not plan for, but I predict that there probably will be death and destruction at least beginning before the thread dies sometime around Friday or so.
>>
>>1748366
Tamers is definitely best season. My only complaint about frontier was the total lack of digimon partners outside of the two weird little digimon things.
>>
File: Beetlemon.png (201KB, 250x510px) Image search: [Google]
Beetlemon.png
201KB, 250x510px
>>1749622
I thought Frontier made up for it with some A+ designs and arguably the best transformation sequences on average.

I also really liked the music in the dub. It's a weird thing to mention, but they switched the hot-blooded stuff from the original with lighter instrumentation that sounded kinda tribal and it made the transformations stand out more. That English OP too, good shit.
>>
>>1747490
This may be a bit preemptive but I think we have a new dead thread.
>>1723554
>>
Dieselquest is revving up its engine!

Slowly, as not to tax the engine.

>>1741785
>>1741785
>>1741785
>>
File: th (1).jpg (10KB, 210x297px) Image search: [Google]
th (1).jpg
10KB, 210x297px
>>1750242
>when the kindleposting strikes
>>1737852
>>1737852
>>
>>1750253
Kindle... posting?
>>
Another Dragon Ball Quest #9 is up
>>1750907
>>
>>1741785
>Player Question
Because death among the stars and hive quest are not running today. House and dominion is fun to read for me. HDDF quest is dead and the american warlock quest on tg died.
>>
>>1750701
Laptop won't charge anymore, desktop was upstairs and it was 4am, so I posted from a Kindle yeah.
>>
File: Jedi Knight Quest3.jpg (89KB, 562x562px) Image search: [Google]
Jedi Knight Quest3.jpg
89KB, 562x562px
Hey, I died but now I'm back and I'm bringing Jedi Knight Quest back with me fuck yeah guys thread in like one hour.
>>
>read only small part of pastebin
>head hurts
This was not as simple as I imagined.
>>
>>1751040
Which quest?
>>
>>1751043
The General.
>>
>>1750993
Oh cool. Never was apart of this but excited.
>>
>>1750993
Yaaay more star wars!

>>1751045
The pastes are VERY useful, but think of them as an "ideal" guide. I ran my quest before I knew any of that stuff. It's just there to make your quest better. Best way to really learn is to do.
>>
>>1750993
New Thread is up
>>1751144
>>1751144
>>1751144
>>
here goes nothing
the redux is up

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870
>>
File: JoJo_06-09-16.jpg (168KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
JoJo_06-09-16.jpg
168KB, 600x338px
For anyone interested, yet another jojo's bizarre adventure quest is running.

>>1751885
>>1751885
>>1751885
>>
>>1751040
Here's the cliff notes version:
- Give meaningful choices.
- Have fun.

You're doing this for your own entertainment and the big draw for suggesters is the participation so give them information to make good choices and make those choices matter.
>>
>>1751842
Yo help a new qm out and play some shit civ game. Promise won't be kill
>>
File: 1444279219818.jpg (19KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
1444279219818.jpg
19KB, 280x400px
>new qm
> shit civ game
>won't be kill
>mfw
>>
File: 1397628294547.gif (1MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1397628294547.gif
1MB, 325x244px
Do we have the ability to post musical note symbols yet or do I still need to go track down someone in charge who can make that change
>>
>>1752957
Look up a list of unicode symbols and see for yourself if it works. If it does, it won't require you to be OP, that's only the formatting tags.
>>
>>1741785
>Running
I only run on weekends, but I run the whole weekend. Because fuck timezones, everyone gets time to play.
>Reading
All the DBZ quests, and most of the DC quests.
>>
File: altuniverseregularshow.png (564KB, 581x572px) Image search: [Google]
altuniverseregularshow.png
564KB, 581x572px
I really want to continue my old quest.
Infact I've been planning to return to it for months now.
But every time I sit down to try and do it, I wuss out.
I'm pretty sure no one remembers it or ever
really liked it, so I'm pretty sure that starting it up again would just lead to a dead thread.

Should I just give up?
>>
>>1755106
Yes
>>
Dark Empire Quest

>>1755153
>>1755153
>>1755153

Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy . . .
>>
>>1755106
Only if you want to. If you have an idea, go for it. Can't shit things up any worse than some of the worst trash quests we have, might even be good!

I say, if you want to: do it.

If not: don't, other ideas will come.
>>
>>1755106
I'm sure you'll be able to get some old players back on board, at least as long as you make it known on your twitter, and anything actually running is naturally going to attract some people here as long as you run consistently and make it fun for your players. Honestly the worst thing you can do is not try at all.
What quest was it?
>>
>>1755173
Thanks for the advice.
I honestly really want to do it.
I'm just scared of ending up on mort's list.
>>
>>1755183
Just do it you faggot.

The only way you end up on that list is if you give up. Playing for a single person is fucking miserable but even one reply is an excuse to keep writing.
>>
>>1755183
If being on Mort's list is scaring you, then he's doing one thing right. Having bailed on running a quest before, I do understand why a QM would quit. Despite that though, if you really want to run, go for it. If you decide to stop running, no big deal. Try again next time. No harm, no foul.
>>
>>1751873
back again

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870
>>
>>1755106
I'll be honest, if it was a quest that I liked I'll likely just drop in and call you a faggot and move on.

Ditched on me once, you'll ditch on me twice.
>>
File: Marcus and Ellana.jpg (163KB, 1024x1408px) Image search: [Google]
Marcus and Ellana.jpg
163KB, 1024x1408px
Crashing this feast with no surviving whores, Bladebound Retainer is live once more!

>>1755657
>>1755657
>>1755657
>>
What's the best day to run a quest?
>>
>>1755955
The day you can devote your entire schedule to.

The weekend is usually best, Saturday or Sunday.
>>
>>1755955
1st of January, 2013
>>
>>1755955
1st of February, 1 AD.
>>
File: suicidal.gif (4MB, 487x416px) Image search: [Google]
suicidal.gif
4MB, 487x416px
>>1755955
12th May 2012
>>
Yo, opinions on optional pastebins with extra story shit in them?

I just wrote my second and honestly they're an awesome way to expand the world but I have to be careful to make it so that you don't need to read them to participate in the quest.
>>
>>1757057
I actually think that's a really potentially genius idea that I may borrow steal. I've got tonal balancing issues that this might solve for me.
>>
>>1757202
You have my blessing to steal the idea you dirty fucking thief.
>>
Yet another jojos bizarre adventure quest is running another session.

>>1757578
>>1757578
>>1757578
>>
>>1757057
Riz does them for Valen Quest. They've been interesting to read, and shed light on a lot of different things in the world, but mostly it's nice to see things happening from a perspective that isn't our usual one.

Unfortunately some of them also raise more questions than they answer, but that's a given by now.
>>
>>1755234
We continue the investigations of Anil Basdrov

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870
>>
Hi, I'm about to start up a quest/thread.
Any suggestions that aren't in the OP?

I set up a twitter.
https://twitter.com/QM_MrNinja
>>
If anybody wants to drop in and participate, VillainQuest is still up
>>1756725
>>1756725
>>1756725
>>
File: 1494151641542.jpg (16KB, 500x565px) Image search: [Google]
1494151641542.jpg
16KB, 500x565px
>some fuck gets our MC killed while I was asleep
>op starts another thread but then disappears
>no one thought he had a life or anything so a bunch of randos took over the thread
>random QM ignores number of votes and does multiple choices at once
Great.
>>
>>1759418
Sounds fantastic. What quest
>>
>>1759429
Either OP is drunk and his dynamic IP is spazzing or there are 3 different people trying to QM
>>1757990
>>
>>1759448
This is why QMs have tripcodes.
>>
>>1759464
This is why you don't steal someone else's fucking thread.
>>
>>1759464
>tfw doesn't have tripcodes
Uhhmm . . . Maybe it's time for me to get some, eh?

>>1759467
That too.
>>
>>1759467
Nah. QM incompetence and negligence like that should be punished. At least the players are getting a kick out of his mess now.
>>
>>1759482
The QM wasn't incompetent, he just set up the next game and probably had to go do something outside make up fucking stories and the autists couldn't wait and now it's a shitstorm.
>>
>>1759478
I could go pretend to be you in your thread but if you're there and you have the same ID then it would be obvious.

But if you weren't there I could jump in and start pretending to be you, saying I'm posting from another location or something. I can't mimic a tripcode though.
>>
>>1759484
>No name or tripcode
>Starts chargen but doesn't stick around to manage it
>Doesn't even tell the players he'll be back later.
>On a board where quests are regularly abandoned by their QMs.

No anon. This QM was extremely incompetent.
>>
>>1759486
I see what u did there
>>
>>1759863
Did what?
>>
>>1759863
What do you mean?
>>
Fuk.
>>
I am hugely eating of the dicks gigantic. Phoneposting btw.
>>
File: hitler_1881083c.jpg (37KB, 460x287px) Image search: [Google]
hitler_1881083c.jpg
37KB, 460x287px
When you really think about it, the world really is run by a cabal of jewish intellectuals and investors. They've also made criticizing them looked down upon, and even illegal in some countries. It really makes you think, doesn't it?
>>
>>1760333
Another Dragon Ball Quest is up and running.
>>
>>1759467
I get sexual pleasure from stealing dead threads

Plan to steal something today
>>
File: tumblr_oj1blzxcbP1s6zihxo1_1280.jpg (595KB, 1200x861px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oj1blzxcbP1s6zihxo1_1280.jpg
595KB, 1200x861px
I feel like the real Slim Shady

>>1760518
>>1760518
>>1760518

Dark Empire continues
>>
Continuing yesterday's Dungeon Quest!

>>1760995
>>
Please. >>1759139 needs a lot more players. I normally never shill any quests I like on here, but this one is nice and I don't want it to die.
>>
>>1761090
well you're shilling it really badly.
>>
>>1757910

we are back

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870
>>
Hi, I'm trying to write my first quest. I heard from a Discord buddy of mine that chargen ruins a quest and that I should avoid it if I can. Is this true?
>>
>>1761334
Maybe I should rephrase that. Does letting the players control character generation lower the quality of the quest?

I was thinking of letting the players choose between two characters whose personalities and backstories I've already thought out. Is this a bad move?
>>
>>1761334
Not necessarily. If done correctly, chargen can be an interesting way to develop your MC. However, you shouldn't structure it in a way that shitposters can run away with your quest before it begins. Basically you'd have to make it relatively simple, and either have a no write-in policy or shoot down any obviously shitpost-y replies from the beginning.

However, that balance is difficult to achieve, especially for a rookie QM. I wouldn't recommend having chargen in your first quest. It's doable, but extremely difficult to do well.
>>
>>1761368
I was trying to counteract the influence of shitposters by limiting the amount of options when they were creating the player character (i.e. Giving them only three options for starting equipment with no write-ins). Would that be enough? Furthermore, should I not allow write-ins in behavior choices as well?
>>
>>1761382
Write-ins on regular votes are fine. They're just risky for chargen because people seem to love giving meme responses in chargen.
>>
>>1761423
Okay, good. I was planning on giving them what amount to be presets so I don't think I'll have that problem. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>1761334
char gen is bad because people take it as a matter of course. They don't consider its pros and cons, and so do not take advantage of what it can achieve and end up with a hot mess.

Do 2+ presets, and present them in a way that people don't argue over mechanics.
>>
>>1761334
In my experience, char-gen works best when you distance what the players are voting on. It's easy for shitposters to write dumb shit to derail a thread if you ask, "Are you a boy or a girl?" and they just continually post "ARE TRAPS GAY WE'RE A TRAP" or something similar.

Instead, vote on names and gender each name. Sure, shitposters can post dumb names, but a dumb name for a character won't ruin your quest.

There is another danger in CharGen, though. There's a chance your character will end up being very bland because everything is a group consensus. As soon as your character is created, make sure to write them a backstory and write them into the world. Make them a character with an outlook on life and opinions on things that happen. If you define your character well, most players are more than happy to roleplay.
>>
>>1761334
Steal a chargen from an rpg book and make anons roll for it, stats and all.
>>
File: for what purpose.jpg (129KB, 1893x777px) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.jpg
129KB, 1893x777px
>>1759139
>>1761090
What madness takes hold of this OP. Why would you put this much effort into making your text less pleasing to read?

>>1761382
Write-ins are always fine if you're also enforcing the law of QM veto and the QM right to interpret write-ins..
>>
Need some advice:
How do ya do fanfiction quest?
Do you need to gather all the details and background of the characters?
I want to try making league of legend quest
>>
File: 1489742500341.gif (210KB, 280x199px) Image search: [Google]
1489742500341.gif
210KB, 280x199px
>>1762401
Don't,
>>
>>1762401
>league of legends quest
Now how would THAT work?
>>
>>1762401
Yes, if you have an already unstable she's setting then you should have the information which is canon. Even if you're not going full canon route, you should know the details that was already there. A spinoff quest is probably the best for a beginning QM. Just make sure you know enough about it to do the setting Justice or you'll have some angry players ranting about consistency and the incorrect material you're making. You don't need to know everything just knowing of something will be fine until it is presented in your quest.

The actual material is another discussion though.
>>
>hellborn and hmq are both still dead and going to stay dead if history is anything to go by
suffering
>>
File: DoctorWho.png (484KB, 789x618px) Image search: [Google]
DoctorWho.png
484KB, 789x618px
>>1762401
Establish ground rules for the world from the very beginning and make them as close to canon as you can but don't be afraid to branch out a little provided it makes sense within the setting you've established and doesn't spit in the face of the important parts of the lore of the world you're riffing on.

Also.

Don't.
>>
File: 36f.png (143KB, 295x479px) Image search: [Google]
36f.png
143KB, 295x479px
For anyone interested, yet another jojo's bizarre adventure quest is running again

>>1764340
>>1764340
>>1764340
>>
We are back again with the dawn of the second day.

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870
>>
Whatever happened to Gunslinger Quest by CursedQm (ID: rxc74U2g) ?

I really enjoyed it
>>
File: Jedi Knight Quest4.jpg (797KB, 1898x1899px) Image search: [Google]
Jedi Knight Quest4.jpg
797KB, 1898x1899px
Hey, Jedi Knight Quest is live
>>1751144
>>1751144
>>1751144
>>
>>1766429
Cursed is running different quests I believe. He'll return to Gunslinger Quest once he's written up enough material for it, as he admitted that he's jumped the gun (heh) with it.
>>
File: Quest Header.jpg (32KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
Quest Header.jpg
32KB, 564x564px
>>1766710
>>1766710
>>1766710
>>1766710

Metahuman Quest is live!
>>
My Father's Country returns tommorow, 10 am central time
Catch up here
Pt 1 http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/1661977/
Pt 2
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/1673647/
>>
which quests have the best girls
>>
>>1767189
Cinderella Sanction.
>>
>>1767302
why
>>
>>1762401

Fucking kill yourself. Fanficers deserve to be culled.
>>
>>1767336
You can just read it to see since it's still relatively short. But it's got a good selection of girls, some fun, some saucy, some smug, some vulnerable.
>>
>>1765072

in all honestly, i fail to understand this awful drought. It wasn't like that before; i used to have +15 players at times.

What am i doing wrong here? or perhaps it is something beyond my control?

strange.
>>
>>1768273
Welcome to qst enjoy your stay

There is too little research to say exactly why that happens. You'll just have to power through, like when you have an anus tearing rock turd.
>>
>>1768316
i don't mind it though. I am grateful for any of my player(s)

I just find it strange, thats all.
>>
>>1768330
Happened to me recently. Don't take it personally. I think traffic fluctuates, the key (I think) is to always try to draw in New players. People who are regulars will always show up, otherwise you've got to woo in fresh blood with each session to replace losses from "attrition".

It happens.
>>
>>1768330
>>1768417
It just happens. Some people lose interest, some people lurk unless there's a major vote, some people don't have time to follow when you run and just read the archives. After a certain number of threads you either have a solid player base or you don't, as new players are mostly reluctant to pick up a longer running quest.
>>
>>1768273
I found I was able to keep a very healthy amount of players every time I run by running once a week on Saturday.
>>
File: 1502160930167.jpg (41KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1502160930167.jpg
41KB, 451x451px
https://fiction.live/stories/Symbiote-Quest-2-0/nLFhaigrSfd8Kdqfr/Issue-16/9eGFvwR5XkqaLNhmP

Don't remember my trip but I'm not dead and ran today and will run tomorrow
>>
>>1768417
i suppose i could give more details here. Hopefully, this might attract new players instead of my previous 'we are back' posts.

>>1768442
i understand this bleed off but months ago it wasn't that serve.

>>1768450
I run almost everyday due to my awful free time.
>>
>>1768475
Do you keep an archive or have a twitter account? Having an archive is almost essential for getting new players so they can read what's happened and catch up. Having a twitter is good for current players so you can tell them when you're running.
>>
>>1768515
well i used to have one with good amount of followers but i haven't touch it in months, I feel kind of ashamed to go back to it.

how about discord? is it a viable alternative? i don't want to make a new twitter account.
>>
>>1768534
Discord can work.
>>
>>1768534
Haven't tried it myself, but Discord could work too. Just as long as you have some way to let your players know when you'll be running, so you're not just betting that some of them will notice when you start.
>>
>>1768475
well you could stand to announce it more...thoroughly, here in qtg. The way it's announced now is almost entirely for people who already know or read your quest, you're not making it enticing for new players to check out.
>>
>Have urges to run something on /qst/
>Spend a few days thinking up a storyline, character arcs, conflicts/plotlines/macguffins etc. etc.
>Snap back into reality when I look at how much shit I have to do IRL
>Still have pangs to run with a fresher take on an older quest I ran

Wellp, I'm by definition textbook insane /qtg/. Ask me anything.
>>
Digimon Trigger thread is rebooting.
Awaiting player input.

Thread Data:
Digital monsters have emerged in the world and been a threat for the last ten years.
You work for an organization known as Thanatos to quell the threat with technology that gives you a digimon/human hybrid body known as a Humon.

Dmon: Gabu- Gunner-type.
Loadout
>Blue Blasters.exe(Dmon exclusive)
Twin guns capable of changing between a searing blue fire shot
or a chilling ray.

Tundra Adaptation.dat(Dmon exclusive)
Blisteringly cold weather has no effect on you, hot areas however hurt.

>Lillyhopper.exe
Tosses out pads that set whatever makes contact with them
flying in the corresponding direction at high speed.

>Warpwind.exe
Line of Sight based teleportation. Allows the user to quickly teleport short ranges.

>Shield.exe
Projects a floaring shield concentrated by the user's will. Smaller shields are harder to break. Fragile to heavy hits

>Abort.exe
Optional program that allows the user to defuse with the D-Trigger and forcibly warp them back to area designated as HOME. Automatically triggered in case of critical integrity failure.

Loadout options may be changed

The Admin awaits you.
>1746252
>>
>>1769061
Error occurred.
>>1746252
>>
>Never proofread posts before posting
>use colored text
>use discord so that people never bump the quest with discussion about the quest, making the thread look like a blog post with occasional votes
>Gain a big following by pandering and giving a bunch of love interests with little to no consequence for pursuing all of them
What are some other classic /qst/ tropes?
>>
>>1769259
>Okay guys, I'm trying my hand at a civ quest. And I am not going to abandon it!
>bitching about fanfic quests
>quest you like has very small following and withers
>quest you hate has extremely large following and will never die
>the "character creation kills quests" meme
>prepare new quest for 6000000 years, extremely similar quest appears in catalog just before you start running
>OP posts once, his single post gets 30 replies, with replies still trickling in after 6 days.

What wrong with using colored text?
>>
>>1769259
>Directly porting mechanics that take 3 times as long to fill out as the posts you actually write
>More thought into mechanics than actual plot
>d20 best of 3, crits override
>waifuposting between story posts to pretend discussion happens
>joke option wins
>metaposting so much you can't find the storyposts
>>
>>1769328
Chargen killing quests isn't a meme. It's a common mistake people who don't know what they're getting into make, because they

A. Don't know how to deal with the abomination they let players and/or shitposters make

and/or

B. Made the mistake of allowing options they don't want to run

The difference between these two cases being too much freedom for the players for the former, and not enough forethought from the QM for the latter. These mistakes aren't exclusive to chargen but since chargen tends to happen first that's where the fucks get upped.

If you want to see the "meme" live in action with guaranteed results just wait for one of those awful civ quests whose OP image us a giant template of bullshit to pop up. Dead thread guaranteed.

Alternatively see that awful Bleach Fanfiction setup that had the QM just fuck off after options he didn't like were picked.

There's a good reason people are told to hold off on it til they know what they're doing.
>>
>>1769328
>What wrong with using colored text?
It's a major crutch. It's like shouting to the world, "My character is boring and bland, so I need this color coding to convey their personality." It's a hack move for those who can't hack it.
>>
>>1769477
There are only three colors, you're going to run out of them real fast if you try to use them that way. But that doesn't mean they have no uses whatsoever and couldn't be employed to great effect in a quest, when used wisely and sparingly.

Sparingly is the important part. When you do use them it should be something that throws your players off and makes them wonder about the exact meaning of that. It's something they cannot possibly avoid noticing, and any QM knows how fucking awesome it is to be absolutely 100% sure that your players will notice a thing that you do.
>>
>>1769259
>Qst tropes
>I only come to qst once a week to post that qst is dead in case anyone forgot
>>
File: Hello....png (210KB, 540x415px) Image search: [Google]
Hello....png
210KB, 540x415px
Villain Quest is still running.
>>1756725
>>
File: shad the man.png (69KB, 514x342px) Image search: [Google]
shad the man.png
69KB, 514x342px
>>1769778
>>
>>1769546
>someone notices things that qms do that are ruining site interactivity, either by being shit, or by encouraging using domains other than the site
>he must be a bitter /tg/ nostalgia fag
Fuck off back to wherever you came from to a lukewarm reception
>>1769489
Whenever I've seen it, it's been "look! red text! This guy is super spoopy!!1! XD"
>>
File: 1493240547030.jpg (81KB, 383x403px) Image search: [Google]
1493240547030.jpg
81KB, 383x403px
https://fiction.live/stories/Symbiote-Quest-2-0/nLFhaigrSfd8Kdqfr/Issue-16/9eGFvwR5XkqaLNhmP
>>
>>1769967
>being this angry
>>
>>1769967
No one mentioned bitter /tg/ nostalgia fags you bitter /tg/ nostalgia fag.
>>
File: 3.1.jpg (179KB, 1500x1544px) Image search: [Google]
3.1.jpg
179KB, 1500x1544px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://fiction.live/stories/The-Paladin-of-Avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/31-The-Time-of-Ravens/CsKkNLXgsR8c5iMY5
It's Yule today!
>>
>>1769546
Do you even run a quest?
The only time I see posts from you it's you complaining about people who think /qst/ is too slow.
>>
>>1770824
>The only time I see posts from you
>1 post by this ID
I mean, you could ctrl+F 'TimeKiller' which would answer your question. But I understand why that might be a bit too difficult.

The short answer is "no". I have an irrational hatred of people who only come here to whine and all I do is counter-whine. I certainly participate in no other way.

Thank you for your insightful and eye-opening question. I feel we've all been enriched further by it.
>>
>>1770532
>>1770071
Is it childish of me to think this is wrong or in bad form to do? Like, you're already based in one site. Why come advert here? I don't see people that run quests here posting on Akun just to attract people.
But then again, I hardly ever go there
>>
File: Ultra Greatsword.jpg (604KB, 2048x1153px) Image search: [Google]
Ultra Greatsword.jpg
604KB, 2048x1153px
American Arcana is on!
>>1771076
>>1771076
>>1771076
>>
File: oh the hugh manitee.png (269KB, 447x329px) Image search: [Google]
oh the hugh manitee.png
269KB, 447x329px
>>1770873
>>
>>1771101
I don't think anybody cares either way.

May as well shitpost on akun since its content is a shitpost as is
>>
>>1771104
The sword looks like a children's toy.
>>
>>1771101
I've had people tell me they don't follow me on the site but still follow the quest so I pretty much post it everywhere

Twitter, qst, Soon start posting on tumblr again etc
>>
File: ut.jpg (80KB, 500x676px) Image search: [Google]
ut.jpg
80KB, 500x676px
here we go again.

Utobra quest continues

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870

As per orders of the ministry of the arcane.You came with the wind that kept the stench of the corpses away from your city, a bastion of Civilization in this new, mostly untouched contient.

As you leave your home and everything you knew behind, you make way for a backwards wasteland where you'd be surprised if they knew of the ministry, let alone know of the respect and authority you command.

Utobra, a city so wretched it lays just to the side of a giant gash on the earth that spews black vile and long-lost corpses. And so revolting it makes a profit out of it.

You came to investigate one of said bodies who might or might not be involved with unsanctioned Arcane, as a Pale Officer. If only things were so easy.

As you ponder the group of crows standing in your way, blocking your passage. You wonder, what if they are warning you of a greater evil instead?
>>
>>1769967
>Whenever I've seen it, it's been "look! red text! This guy is super spoopy!!1! XD"

Yeah, that's how my players reacted the first time I used the red text. It IS a bit darker than I'd like, so can't really blame them for that. Only way to respond is by proving to them that it definitely means something else.
>>
>>1769328
Char gen does kill.

Colored text isn't comfortable to read and turns off players. Try reading some text with a bunch of colors spotted through it.
>>
Jedi Knight Quest is running again
>>1751144
>>1751144
>>1751144
>>
>>1770873
>doesn't run a quest
>still namefags
People will still defend this.
>>
>>1772468
I agree. But timekiller runs >>1755153
Stated >>1760522 here.

I don't run a quest though.
>>
>>1772468
>understanding sarcasm
Slow your roll there, Lone Ranger. I promise to abandon my nefarious ways if only you spare my life!

>>1772484
Woo! Free publicity from Mortician under ddubious circumstances. Someone tell me if this is a boon or a bane because I can't tell.
>>
>>1772468
Shouldn't namefag even if you do.
>>
File: Space Marine 3.jpg (70KB, 354x495px) Image search: [Google]
Space Marine 3.jpg
70KB, 354x495px
Chapter Master Quest is running!

>>1772600
>>1772600
>>1772600
>>
>>1772535
Your quest is actually awful and you should feel bad that you killed a probably decent quest to make room for it. 2/10 wouldn't even lurk
>>
File: OkayAnimay.gif (982KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
OkayAnimay.gif
982KB, 500x364px
>>1773333
>>
For those who didn't see it MSPQ is running
>>1773355
>>
>>1771306
Ultra Fantasy is an animu video game, what did you expect it to look like?
>>1773760
>>1773760
>>1773760
In other news, old man pulls shiv on teenagers, read all about it.
>>
>>1771647
Utobra quest continues

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870
>>
File: bant.png (81KB, 520x339px) Image search: [Google]
bant.png
81KB, 520x339px
What collaborative games are allowed to exist off quest?
Pic related are threads I just found on the /bant/ catalog.
I also see CYOA threads like "save the princess" on /v/. And /tg/ has a CYOA general.

Is it better to run civ games on /bant/ than on /qst/?
>>
>>1774042
>is it better to run civs on a shitposter containment board or on a board dedicated to running civs
>>
>>1774042
Civ quest get people here famalam.

Your OPs sticking with it is another story.
>>
rolling to bump
>>
>>1774924
Fuck.
>>
Rolled 80 (1d100)

>>
>>1774938
I just wanna git gud at post options.
Why the fuck does the general keep dying? I always find that to be rather fuckin' pathetic.
>>
>>1775392
Well it stops bumping after 72 hours like everything else on /qst/ so that's to be expected.
>>
If someone could please point me in the direction of the most well written futa loli quest that would just be great, thanks in advance.
>>
>>1775490
>>1773355
>>
>>1775490
sounds gay
>>
File: ajIJSft.jpg (2MB, 3591x5044px) Image search: [Google]
ajIJSft.jpg
2MB, 3591x5044px
War has enveloped the galaxy. The Rebel Alliance and countless ex-imperial Warlords threaten to destroy everything in their mad bids for power. Only the Galactic Empire stands to bring peace, order, and justice to the galaxy.

>>1775693
>>1775693
>>1775693

Join Dark Empire and restore the rightful order of things.
>>
>>1775702
Shit waifufag quest.
>>
File: ACE COMBAT 3 ELECTROSPHERE PATHS.png (45KB, 1414x1820px) Image search: [Google]
ACE COMBAT 3 ELECTROSPHERE PATHS.png
45KB, 1414x1820px
I long for the day when someone creates an Ace Combat Quest.
>>
>>1776141
>I long for the day when someone runs a second Ace Combat Quest
>>
>>1776141
Why not try for it yourself? Seems like a very doable setting for a quest, especially since someone evidently did it successfully before.
>>
>>1776141
MercCommand did one. It was alright. The main issue is that all the pilots are anime girls that act like they should be in high school and not seasoned pilots that went through training. And act like adults.
>>
>>1776430
How else are you supposed to make the waifufags happy?

By not dealing with such cancer? Impossible.

The only thing worse than QMs who cater to waifufaggotry are ones who combine that with haremshit.
>>
>>1776631
MercCommand must be your golden egg then, eh?
>>
>>1776631
When I first started reading Quests, Merc was among my favorites. But it all got stale pretty fast. He's not terrible or anything. It's just that I know EXACTLY what to expect from one of his quests and that sucks. No surprises, the same characters. No risk.
>>
>>1776430
Nah the main issue is that MercCommand's quests are painfully boring.
>>
>>1776642
I have legit never read anything by MercCommand but the scent of shit is strong even to unattuned noses.

>>1776648
What's worse is when you do something different only to have the strange character turn into a stock waifu for no reason.

Yeah you know who you are, hack that does that. Writing mil fic doesn't excuse you from being a shitter.
>>
>>1776430
I mean, it's merc. It's kind of to be expected when he takes the same characters for every quest and just changes the setting
>>
>>1776631
>tolerating obnoxious weeb waifufags at all
Big mistake.
And that's coming from someone who just popped up here and has done nothing to contribute to this board in any way.
>>
To those who pay attention to fanfic quests: Do fanfic quests that come out soon after high profile shows air get more players, or is it purely from how mainstream the title is?
>>
>>1776869
Both get lots of players.
>>
>>1776869
It's a question of popularity, not how recently it aired.

It's just that if it's currently running then there's a guaranteed interest by people actively looking for it since it's fresh.

No matter how new it is something niche proooobably won't have the same splash.

Nobody will probably be looking for a Kaiba Quest, for example.

...No, not Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh.
>>
>>1776874
I know what you meant by Kaiba, but at the same time a KaibaCorp Quest would be fucking awesome, however that would play out.
>>
>>1776882
Cubix quest when?
>>
>>1776882
The final choice in every set of options needs to be "screw the rules, I have money."
>>
>>1773946
we are back

>>1751870
>>1751870
>>1751870
>>
>>1775490
Kys
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.