[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon Lord Quest #1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 48

File: 2c4fce3adfd6e1d8a343a8035ce856c3.jpg (323KB, 889x1300px) Image search: [Google]
2c4fce3adfd6e1d8a343a8035ce856c3.jpg
323KB, 889x1300px
Dungeons don't just happen.
They are carefully constructed room by room, trap by trap, monster by monster by the Dungeon Lords. Mostly though of as a kind of demon, Dungeon Lords are actually more akin to living ideas. You are the very essence of your dungeon. The stronger it grows, the stronger you grow. There are many avenues to make a dungeon stronger. Will you fill it with deadly traps, harrowing monsters, dark curses, or perhaps all three? Will it be large and mazelike, whittling down adventurers to their last ration as they hope to finally make it to your Dungeon Heart? Or will it be short and to the point, striking quickly and mercilessly so that the skeletons pile up and serve as a warning to anyone who dares challenge you and your home? The choices are yours.

Welcome, Dungeon Lord, to Dungeon Quest.

First thing is first, what kind of Dungeon Lord are you?

>I am a Warlock! Using the Dark Arts I can field magical traps and cast beguiling spells to ensure no adventurer ever comes close to my Dungeon Heart. I can animate the dead to serve me, and any interloper who comes looking for fortune and fame will drown under the sea of my minions!

>I am a Tyrant! No mere mortal can match my martial prowess! With weapon in hand, none shall stand before me! They'll all be cut down long before they reach the Heart! I demand only the best minions to service and any one of my underlings will be worth a dozen of any other!

>I am an Overlord. Fighting your own battles is for peasants and orcs. Magical and martial might is well and good, but none of that compares to the power of gold. I am more adept at finding precious metals and gems for our imps to mine, as well as spotting lucrative raiding opportunities on the surface. My minions are mostly mercenaries, but they are easily replaced. Dead underlings don't get paid.
>>
>>1757971
>I am an Overlord.

CAPTALISM OH!
>>
>>1757971
>>I am an Overlord. Fighting your own battles is for peasants and orcs. Magical and martial might is well and good, but none of that compares to the power of gold. I am more adept at finding precious metals and gems for our imps to mine, as well as spotting lucrative raiding opportunities on the surface. My minions are mostly mercenaries, but they are easily replaced. Dead underlings don't get paid.
>>
>>1758047
>>1758053
Whew. I was almost afraid this was gonna flop.
Writing!
>>
File: 6HVvYBJ.jpg (303KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6HVvYBJ.jpg
303KB, 1600x1200px
You are an Overlord. While others lock themselves away with dusty tomes or callous their hands swinging weapons, your magic lies in your ability to grow your own coffers. Now let's see if we can find a suitable location for our dungeon heart.

>Somewhere mountainous. There will be little opportunity for raiding, unless caravans and wagon supplies come through. Those can be bribed or seized. There are bandit camps, as well as tribes of mountain-dwelling creatures that can be bought for the right amount. This biome will be rife with metal and mineral veins. Riches just waiting to be taken.

>Plains. There will be many surface dwellers around here. Towns and cities waiting to be plundered. The mercenaries around here will mostly be humanoids. If you want monsters for your dungeon, you will likely have to import them from somewhere else. Underground is likely to have a decent amount of minerals and metals.

>Swamp. Very low in population. Mining mud is hard. However, an industrious dungeon lord might find long abanonded treasures if he is willing to brave the dangerous depths of the sunken ruins... or rather, pay someone to brave them for him.

>Somewhere else [Write In]
>>
>>1758095
>Somewhere else [Write In]

Inside or near an active volcano surrounded by lakes of fire
>>
>>1758133
Sure! I'll add

Volcanic: Highly volatile area full of fiery eruptions and lakes of lava. This biome features fiersome fire-based creatures. Mostly monsters live in this biome, but like mountainous areas, will likely have rich veins of metals and minerals. Population is likely to be sparse when it comes to humanoid settlements and mercenaries.
>>
>>1758156
>mountains
>>
>>1758133
This, but the surrounding climate is also that of an snowy arctic tundra. We the The North now.
>>
>>1758183
>>1758133
This.
Remote and comfy.
>>
>>1758183
Changing to this
>>
>>1758183
comfy
>>
>>1758183
Looks like we have a winner!
Writing!
>>
File: heart1.jpg (72KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
heart1.jpg
72KB, 640x640px
>>1758095
Your gaze falls upon the desolate northern wastes, where a vast mountainous range of active volcanoes vent to the frozen air above. The very land is a harsh, treacherous journey. Any adventurer would be hard pressed to even reach your doorstep. Surely this is invaluable to your defenses, and would even deter early adventurers from testing their mettle against your defenses until you have some worthwhile challenges or treasure. The surface life is almost nonexistant as far as humans are concerned, and the dual nature of the fiery iceland ensures that both icy and fiery monsters shouldn't be too far away.

Your spirit is strong enough to command three Imps at the moment. The skittish little creatures, you've come to know their names are Gok, Hak, and Meq. Their combat prowess is negligible, but they are tireless and skilled at mining. They are also quick little maniacs. Currently, they have just finished erecting the shrine of your Dungeon Heart just beneath one of the volcanoes. Your Dungeon consists of exactly one room. The room that houses your Dungeon Heart.

>Our first order of business is to expand. We need more room in the dungeon if we are to grow. Order imps to dig out the rock around your Dungeon Heart.

>The first thing we need is gold. Order them to dig for the nearest gold vein.

>Send them out to explore.
>>
>>1758229

We need space
>>
>>1758229
>Our first order of business is to expand. We need more room in the dungeon if we are to grow. Order imps to dig out the rock around your Dungeon Heart.
>>
>>1758229
Get the Gold. Not necessarily because of the need of wealth, but we need something precious to lure foolish adventurers into our dungeon so we may destroy them.
>>
Looks like we got another winner.
Writing!
>>
File: Imp.jpg (41KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
Imp.jpg
41KB, 600x375px
>>1758229
The three imps set about to the task you assigned them. Their tireless, almost manic desire to follow orders ensures that the rock around your Dungeon Heart room gives way as easily as loose dirt. They set off in three different directions, tunneling deeper into the volcano and soon, you have three new, empty rooms. The three imps return to the Dungeon Heart and salute you. "All done!" they say in that cheerful manner you have come to associate with imps. Imps were always happy to serve a Dungeon Lord. They asked for no form of payment and tolerated even the harshest of working conditions. They look at you with bulging eyes, eager for new orders.

>We require gold with which to fill our new halls. Order the Imps to dig towards the nearest gold vein.
>We should explore the surrounding countryside so that we may prepare for any local threats.
>We should probably should move the Dungeon Heart deeper into the dungeon so it's not just sitting in the doorway.
>Write in
>>
>We should probably should move the Dungeon Heart deeper into the dungeon so it's not just sitting in the doorway.

This. Dig out a tunnel deep into the volcano and stash the heart far from the entrance
>>
>>1758283
Move the Dungeon Heart deeper.
>>

Then Imps

>We require gold with which to fill our new halls. Order the Imps to dig towards the nearest gold vein.

While we

>We should explore the surrounding countryside so that we may prepare for any local threats.

To at least get an idea of the surrounding terrain maybe find a town
>>
>>1758283
>>We should probably should move the Dungeon Heart deeper into the dungeon so it's not just sitting in the doorway
>>
>>1758299
>>1758304
>>1758312
>>1758324
Unanimous!
>>
File: Imp2.jpg (46KB, 688x750px) Image search: [Google]
Imp2.jpg
46KB, 688x750px
>>1758283
You instruct your Imps to dig deeper into the volcano.
"The Dungeon Heart is vulnerable so close to the entrance. Dig a tunnel deep into the rock and take the Heart there."

The Imp Meq turns to the one to her right, the one called Hak. "I told you it was too close to the entrance! The Master would never want us to put it that close!"
"He's the one that said to put it there, it's not my fault!" Hak protests, pointing at Gok.
"The Master said to put the heart up! We didn't want to waste time! We'd have had it up sooner if you two weren't so slow!"

Their voices are drowned out in a cacophony of bickering protests.

>Yell at them to stop.
>Use your spectral hand to slap some sense into them. You won't tolerate this nonsense in your dungeon.
>Wait for them to stop on their own. You're not keen to bother yourself with their prattling.
>>
>>1758358
>Use your spectral hand to slap some sense into them. You won't tolerate this nonsense in your dungeon.

Let's keep our pimp-hand strong.
>>
>>1758379
looks like a winner by default! Writing
>>
>>1758358
>Wait for them to stop on their own. You're not keen to bother yourself with their prattling.

No point in intervening for something so stupid, instead we should stratagize anx get a more comprehensive lay of the land.
>>
>>1758358
>>
File: SpectralHand.jpg (5KB, 176x220px) Image search: [Google]
SpectralHand.jpg
5KB, 176x220px
>>1758358
You work a small bit of energy and reach out with a spectral hand to lash across the imps. Your wrathful ire courses into their bodies and they yell out in pain. Spectral Hand. A paltry bit of magic that didn't even take any essence at all. Imps were sustained throught the energy you spent to summon them, you didn't need to drain any energy from your dungeon to cast it. Even the magically inept Tyrant Lords could use the spell, and often did. It inflicted a minimal amount of damage, but the pain was sharp enough that it could gain the attention of even the rowdiest imp. Indeed, it was the capricious nature of imps that warranted the spell to be created in the first place. Some of the more viscious Dungeon Lords used it to increase productivity during mining.

"We'll be having none of that." you say in your harshest tone. "Just dig the tunnel, then move the Heart. If I'm not back by the time you've finished, then start digging toward the nearest gold vein. I've already marked the likeliest direction to find it."
"Y-Yes, my Darkest of Dark Lords!"
"Right away your vileness!"
"Yes, Sir! Right away, Master!"

You turn your back on your saluting Imps without another word, confident that their lashing would ensure they obeyed the letter of your orders to a T. Instead, you decide to venture outward yourself to ascertain the lay of the land personally. Despite the dual nature of scorching heat and blistering cold, you were a Dungeon Lord. The elements could do their best against you, but so long as your Dungeon Heart remained safe, you could not be killed. At least, with any manner of permanency. Should your body be destroyed, your spirit would return to the Heart where you could manifest anew. Only with the destruction of your Heart can you truly be killed.

>Explore the volcanic range
>Explore the base wilderness around the range
>Head for the nearest coastline
>Write in
>>
>>1758436
>>
>>1758436
>wilderness
>>
>>1758436
>>
File: Icecano.jpg (339KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Icecano.jpg
339KB, 1920x1080px
>>1758436
You decide to further explore the volcanic range. You walk through the snow, your path unmolested even as the entrance to your Dungeon disappears behind you. Your link with your Dungeon Heart will allow you to discern its direction no matter where you are. You can always find your way back to it, provided you are willing to walk. Of course, there is always the option of destroying your physical shell if circumstances called for it. But that was messy. As it was, you continue along, the snow crunching beneath your feet.

>Roll for encounters!
>1d100, I'll take the average of the best three.
>>
>>1758436
>>
Rolled 69 (1d100)

>>1758481
>>
Rolled 80 (1d100)

>>1758481
Rollin

>>1758484
Dont mind my lateness
>>
Rolled 73 (1d100)

>>1758481
>>
>>1758486
>>1758487
>>1758493
74, not bad at all!
Writing!
>>
File: Obsidian.jpg (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Obsidian.jpg
79KB, 600x600px
>>1758481
You wander along the volcanic ridges for some time. The frozen north was just as desolate of life as you expected it to be. Just as you are about to decide that there was nothing worthwhile in this direction, you spot something strange. In the snow, almost hidden from your view, is the corpse of a bird. Or at least, half a corpse. The other half of the corpse seemed to have been embedded in a solid block of obsidian with polished edges. At least, that's what you assumed until you witness the block of obsidian move. Flowing slow as tar, perhaps because of the cold, the black mass of moving rock slowly engulfs the rest of the carcass. It gives off a wicked heat as you get closer to inspect it, and the last bit of corpse you see before it is fully engulfed starts to smolder. You shake your head, then it dawns on you. This was a monster!

It takes you a moment to remember, but yes. This is an Obsidian Ooze. An ooze-type creature that burrows through rock leaving behind lava tubes and it feasts on the ash of organic matter. Its preferred method of attack is shooting out spines with great speed, skewering prey within its range and then flows up the spines to engulf them. The heat on its body radiates with such an intensity that it burns not only anyone foolish enough to attack it, but also their weapons. Not to mention that its liquid body can splash and inflict even more burn damage on surrounding enemies. Quite the find you have here.

Of course such a small specimen in front of you would require care and nurturing to grow into a formidable ooze monster for your lair. You shrug. Worst case scenario, you could always feed it an imp.

>Try to lure the ooze back to your lair
>Leave it for now so you can prepare a space for the ooze before you attempt to collect it
>Such a creature is too much trouble to try and collect right now.
>Write in
>>
>>1758573
>Leave it for now so you can prepare a space for the ooze before you attempt to collect it
>leave it some food in any case, and pet it with a spectral hand
>>
>>1758573

Sounds useful.
>>
>>1758573
>>
>>1758573
>>Leave it for now so you can prepare a space for the ooze before you attempt to collect it
>>
>>1758599
>>1758622
Looks like luring it back wins!
Writing!

(In the meantime, roll 1d100 again to see how successful we are)
>>
>>1758631
Whoops, looks like you posted right as I was tallying the votes. Sorry about that, anon.
>>
Rolled 78 (1d100)

>>1758633
>>
Rolled 57 (1d100)

>>1758641
all good
just go with it
>>
Rolled 57 (1d100)

>>1758633
>>
File: 28721202136_6b968d224a_o.jpg (46KB, 278x400px) Image search: [Google]
28721202136_6b968d224a_o.jpg
46KB, 278x400px
>>1758573
You decide that you don't want to risk losing out on the creature. Obsidan Oozes were rare, considering they solely existed in volcanic biomes. At the very least, you could likely sell it to some enterprising Dungeon Lord looking for some more exotic fare for his own dungeon. Of course, one of the benefits of oozes is their reproductive cycle involves them splitting off into more when you feed them enough matter. Even if you don't sell the original, you could definitely turn a nice profit down the line when it splits.

You start trying to lure the creature back in the direction of your lair. Unfortunately, with the lack of anything to use as bait, you use the one thing you have on hand: yourself. Luckily for you, the ooze seems to still be hungry after its avian meal. Your luck seems to run dry when you aren't fast enough to evade all the spines along the way. This far away from your Dungeon Heart, you feel the pain as the spines burn the flesh they contact. Of course, you are no mere mortal. You're a Dungeon Lord. Even despite your lack of combat prowess, you aren't about to go down to a few stray spines from an underfed ooze. On the way back, you start thinking of the kind of Dungeon Lord you want to be. Some Dungeon Lords have impressive or thematic names for all of the monsters in their lair. Were you going to be the same?

The going is long and arduous, but you soon feel the proximity of the Dungeon Heart. You've made it. You're invigorated enough to lure the ooze to the entrance to your Dungeon, and you are immediately greeted by the chittering, excited Imps you left behind.

"Master! Master! We found something!"
"Shut up, Grok, I was going to tell him!"
"You two stood on my shoulders to get it, I should tell him!"

The spectral hand of your wrath looms over them, and they immediately silence themselves.
"Eep!" they say, springing to attention.

>Get the ooze inside and put it in one of the empty rooms
>See what the Imps are so excited about first
>Write in
>>
>>1758697
>>
>>1758697

Have our minions accompany us so that they may elaborate on their findings.
>>
>>1758697
>>Get the ooze inside and put it in one of the empty rooms
>>
>>1758710
>>1758728
>>1758735
Writing!
>>
File: FireAgate.jpg (16KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
FireAgate.jpg
16KB, 230x219px
>>1758697
"Follow me." you order your imps as you continue to lure the Obsidian Ooze into your lair. You briefly have disturbing thoughts of the ooze finding your Dungeon Heart. Oozes were mindless without complex Awakening rituals, and this one was hungry. If left alone with your Dungeon Heart, you have no doubt it would try to seek out the Heart and engulf it in its fiery mass. You resolve to find the Ooze some food as soon as you can. In the meantime, you'll just have your imps keep it distracted if it tries to move around too much.

Once the Ooze is inside one of the rooms, you pick up your pace and leave it. Your minions will have to craft a proper Lair to house an Ooze. Luckily, your minions are equipped with all of the necessary Dungeoneering knowledge to house most kinds of creatures. The Obsidian Ooze might be a rare kind of ooze, but you see no reason that the standard ooze housing should work, with some adjustments due to its heated nature. Future plans for the room race through your mind. With some fire aesthetics and the proper treasure, you're certain the room would be a shining addition to your Dungeon.

Thinking of your imps brings you back to the present, and you turn to the trio who were waiting patiently and silently behind you. "What is it?" you inquire. You can tell they barely manage to contain their excitement as Meq approaches, her eyes beaming wide. "Master, we have started digging out gold where you told us to. And what's more, we found this in the rocks!" she says, holding up a handful of rough orage-red gemstones. You immediately recognize them as uncut Fire Agates.

>Order your minions to redouble their efforts on the fire agates
>Gold is the priority right now. Keep digging gold.
>Stop digging and focus on creating a Lair for the Ooze. You don't want it wandering off.
>Do you praise your imps? Reward them for their find?
>Write in
>>
>>1758773
>Praise your imps.

And then.

>Stop digging and focus on creating a Lair for the Ooze. You don't want it wandering off.
>>
>>1758773
>>Stop digging and focus on creating a Lair for the Ooze. You don't want it wandering off.
>>
>>1758797
>>1758802
Writing!
>>
File: crystal_gold.jpg (108KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
crystal_gold.jpg
108KB, 600x421px
>>1758773
"Good job, underlings." You say to your imps. They swell with pride. Even such paltry recognition seems to motivate them almost as much as your spectral discipline. "Now, the first thing I want you to do is ensure our new guest has a proper Lair. Standard Ooze Lair, but build with with Fire-type precautions... And if you see it slithering in the direction of the Dungeon Heart, you are to make the utmost effort to distract it." The trio answer in the affirmative, nodding furiously as they accept their task. Almost immediately they set about surveying the cavern you lured the Ooze into. They would ensure that your orders were followed to the letter.

For your part, you turn your gaze to the Fire Agate in your hand. While the imps were busy building the Ooze Lair, you started to think about the gold and gems you have uncovered. Without a smith, you were stuck with raw gold ore. Still valuable, but certainly not impressive. Smelting the ore into gold bricks, perhaps stamped with a crest. Yes, all the best Dungeons have their own crests. The Fire Agates would require a gemcutter, but the investment would be worth it if your cutter would be able to polish the rough rocks into shining gemstones. Of course, all of these things cost money. Luckily, this was what you are best at.

>We should hire a gemcutter to cut and polish the Fire Agates (Worth more than gold, but a gemcutter would be a hassle to obtain. Unless you can find one and convince them locally, you might have to pay a Headhunter to find you one.)
>We should hire a blacksmith to smelt our gold into bars and coins. (Inreased gold yield from raw ore.)
>Maybe an answer to our problems lie in the surrounding settlements. We should concentrate our efforts on finding any nearby towns or camps.
>Write in
>>
Hire a blacksmith, but make sure they can forge more than just gold bars.
>>
>>1758850

>We should hire a gemcutter to cut and polish the Fire Agates (Worth more than gold, but a gemcutter would be a hassle to obtain. Unless you can find one and convince them locally, you might have to pay a Headhunter to find you one.)
>>
>>1758850
>We should hire a blacksmith to smelt our gold into bars and coins. (Inreased gold yield from raw ore.)
>>
>>1758850
>>We should hire a blacksmith to smelt our gold into bars and coins. (Inreased gold yield from raw ore.)
>>
>>1758863
>>1758871
>>1758875
Looks like blacksmith has it!
Writing!
>>
>>1758850
>Maybe an answer to our problems lie in the surrounding settlements. We should concentrate our efforts on finding any nearby towns or camps.

Let's find a smith worthy of our dungeon.
>>
>>1758850
You decide that a blacksmith is needed for you to get the most out of the ore veins. Of course, attracting one would be expensive.

Current Gold: Half a ton of raw ore (Value 500 GP)
Other assets: 1 unworked Fire Agate (Value 20 GP apiece, Price increases if worked)
Order imps to mine more gold or agates to increase your current holdings.

Now, you had some options in front of you. You needed a blacksmith, and you were not without methods of getting one. You could put out a call to other Dungeon Lords to see if anyone had a gemcutter you could buy off of them. These laborers are cheaper, and more loyal, but since you are getting them from another Dungeon, you aren't getting the "A-list" group.

Headhunters were a bit of a gamble. They went out into the world and found the type of people you were looking for. Unfortunately, the means by which they acquire said people involved kidnapping, extortion, and a myriad of unpleasantness that means that the worker would have next to no loyalty to you. Of course, you were an Overlord. Your workers do not need to be loyal to you. Only to coin. Headhunters can take this into account. Of course, Headhunters were expensive, if efficient. The charges they bring back are often well-versed in their field. After all, they have to be well-known enough to attract the attention of Headhunters.

Of course, you could take it upon yourself to find a blacksmith. This would involve finding the nearest settlement and attempting to coerce any blacksmiths you find there. This would likely be the least expensive route, but also would likely yield the lowest quality workman. At least you had a better chance of garnering some loyalty from someone you found personally.

The choice was yours, Dungeon Lord.

>Send a call out to other Dungeon Lords. The running cost for hiring a blacksmith is 300 gold pieces worth of goods. (You will pick from 3 blacksmiths from Dungeon Lords that answer your call. Your worker starts 20% less effective, but can be trained up. Likely a monstrous race.)

>Call the Headhunters. This will eat 500 gold pieces worth of goods. (Random worker pulled from anywhere in the world. Worker is 50% more effective. Likely humanoid.)

>Try to find one at a nearby settlement. Price is negotiable. (Worker skill will be randomly determined. Likely humanoid.)
>>
>>1758915
>Try to find one at a nearby settlement. Price is negotiable. (Worker skill will be randomly determined. Likely humanoid.)
>>
>>1758915
>try to find one at a nearby settlement

We shall forge a master out of the unrefined peasantry!
>>
>>1758915

And a gemcutter while we're at it.
>>
>>1758915
>>Send a call out to other Dungeon Lords. The running cost for hiring a blacksmith is 300 gold pieces worth of goods. (You will pick from 3 blacksmiths from Dungeon Lords that answer your call. Your worker starts 20% less effective, but can be trained up. Likely a monstrous race.)
>>
>>1758915
>>
>>1758921
>>1758928
>>1758936
>>1758942
>>1758943
Writing!
>>
>>1758915
Dungeon Lords are notoriously selfish. Anything to advance their own dungeon. Which is why they would dare to charge you such a lavish sum for a trademan whose mastery of his craft could be considered pitiable at best. They know you need one, and they know that craftsmen are hard to just come by.

And the Headhunters were no better. An even heaftier sum for goods they would just procure at knifepoint anyway. Not to mention that when the poor bastard ends up betraying you, it's not them that gets the knife in the back. Robbery. Blatant robbery.

No, you would choose a different route. You were in the business of making money. Not spending money.

You weren't looking for someone who can forge mighty magical arms and armor. That could come later. All you needed at the moment was someone who can turn gold ore into gold. A simple enough skill. Surely there were dozens of candidates who could do it. Dozens of candiates that could be plied with the promise of gold. Candidates that once under your fold, you could grow into a master of their craft. Yes.

Sure, actually venturing into a human settlement was almost unheard of to the other Dungeon Lords. Sometimes they decided to attack a town or try and raze a city for plunder and corpses, but just walking right into a settlement full of humans? Unthinkable to them. That's why you were the Overlord. No soul-drinking sword, no staff of skulls, no black armor or cloak of pure shadow. Your strength was your subtlety, and you would use it well.

While you were trekking through the volcanic slopes, you had thought you saw something in the distance. It took a while, but you're almost certain it was a settlement. Along the distant coast, probably a fishing village of some sort. That was where you would start your search.
>Its getting late guys. I'm gonna wrap this up here. I'll be back tomorrow at around the same time to continue! Hope you guys were having as much fun as I was!
>>
>>1758963
ok
see you then
>>
>>1758963
Looking forward to the next update.
>>
>>1758963
Cool beans, DLQM.
>>
>>1757971
Dungeon keeper quest, huh
Funny I had plans to make the same quest.
>>
File: IceVillage.jpg (126KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
IceVillage.jpg
126KB, 450x360px
>Welcome back, players!

The small village lay before you as you crested one of the icy hills. It was right where you thought it would be. A quaint little establishment settled along the frozen coastline, it was the very picture of a fishing village. You'd seen plenty of them in your search for the proper spot for your dungeon. Peasants scraping their meager existences from the chilly dirt, to call it a backwater would likely be giving it a compliment.

You don't know of any Kingdoms or Empires that would have even lain claim to such a settlement. Likely this is the very reason for the village's location. Tax collectors wouldn't likely make the journey across an ice desert. Braving the perils of freezing to death, being eaten by local wild life, or getting caught up in volcanic eruptions did not make the trip worth it to a settlement that was likely to pay its due in barrels of fish. Luckily, you weren't here for money. No, the small nature of its people would be perfect to find a cheap blacksmith. You weren't looking for a master craftsman. Anyone could be a master with enough practice. All you needed was someone that could smelt ore into gold. A simple enough task for any blacksmith worth his salt.

You hadn't yet approached the village properly. You don't even have a retinue. You could summon your imps to you, but you didn't think peasants would take too kindly to demonic creatures, even if the imps were more pests than threat. Still, you were a Dungeon Lord. Part of you wanted to just walk in and do as you please. These were peasants. Not even adventurers whose riches and magic items could fuel your dungeon. To most dungeon lords, they were akin to vermin. By rights they should be falling to their knees and praying you did not slaughter them. Of course, as it stood, you'd have a hard time slaughtering much with just an ooze and three imps. Sure, the smallfolk would not be able to destroy you with any measure, at least not without mounting an offensive to destroy your Dungeon Heart.

Unfortunately, such an occurence was a very real possibility if you went around declaring yourself a Dungeon Lord before you were ready. As an Overlord, arrogance was no friend to you. So it was begrudgingly that you manifested yourself in simple garb. Still, the task before you offered a number of ways to approach it.

>I will be a passing trader. Merchant's garb will suit me.
>I will be a traveling Nobleman. I shall wreathe myself in finery and the filthy peasants will know me as their better.
>I will be as nondescript as possible. Another faceless body in the crowd. The dirty rags of a peasant shall hide my true nature until I deign to reveal it.
>>
>>1760995

Time to wheel and deal.
>>
>>1760995
Thanks for coming back, OP. Many QMs wouldn't after the admittedly small number of players

>merchant up
>>
>>1761010
Well I never expected to have a giant number of followers anyway, heh. Even if a few people have fun, that's worth it to me!
>>
>>1761021
>>
File: Thumbs up.jpg (33KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs up.jpg
33KB, 398x500px
>>1761021
>>
>>1760995
The surfave cover up for hiring the smith should be something along the likes of starting an enterprise where we are more autonomous from any giuld or ruling authority
>>
>>1761021
I've been waiting all day.
>>
>>1761044
>>1761009
>>1761010
Looks like we're gonna be a merchant! Writing!
>>
>>1760995
>travelling merchant

Try not to look very rich, isolated places like this are perfect for muggers and bandits.
>>
>>1760995
>>
File: art-furs-05.jpg (197KB, 650x420px) Image search: [Google]
art-furs-05.jpg
197KB, 650x420px
>>1760995
You decide that you are going to walk among the peasants as a traveling merchant. Your nature as a spirit entity gives you a modest amount of control of your physical appearance. Exercising this ability is a small effort of willpower as you manifest a thick covering of furs. People would be suspicious if you dressed too lightly in this freezing weather, but the thick garb worked to your advantage. It covered almost all of your form, leaving little in the way of anything to recognize should you need to change your disguise. To anyone looking on, you were a vaguely humanoid shape under a pile of worked furs. You made sure that your clothes bore frozen patches and signs of wear and tear. You didn't want to look too pristine, it would draw suspicions. The nearest settlement is likely leagues away, and you had neither cart nor horse. If anyone asked, you would just have to do your best to convince them that misfortune befell your caravan. Yes, you were lucky to make it out alive. The rest are likely frozen to death or eaten by scavengers. It was an act of... whatever god these peasants worshipped that you made it to civilization before you met the same fate.

You wander in to the village, drawing stares from the local populace but little else. There are no guards, you note. Probably some sheriff or constable hiding from the chill in some bar. That's how it usually went with peasants. Still, your walk into the settlement is unmolested, save for the suspicious glances. You pay them no mind. You were here for a purpose, and the less time you dawdled, the sooner you can get what you came for.

>Explore the village yourself, surely the local blacksmith or smiths will have a sign outside of their door.
>Who knows the town better than the locals? I should use them to gather information.
>Write in
>>
>>1761117
>Who knows the town better than the locals? I should use them to gather information.
>>
>>1761117
>explore
>>
>>
>>1761117
>>
>>1761117
>Explore the village yourself, surely the local blacksmith or smiths will have a sign outside of their door.
>>
>>1761123
>>1761127
>>1761137
Looks like we're talking to the locals! Writing
>>
>>1761117
Finding your own way was for pathfinders and elves. The locals have the information you need, so you need only ply it from them. The problem was the sheer number of locals left the question of which particular one you should ask to be quite the connundrum. Luckily for you, there were several options that spring to your mind. You could visit the Town Hall. You can see the Town Hall standing as the biggest building in the town, and smack dab in the center of it. Small town mortals were never known to get too clever with their architecture. Surely there would have the best information. Maybe even a map. Some manner of clerk could certainly point you in the right direction.

Of course, you could always go to the local tavern. There is another building with firelight twinkling behind its windows and the sound of mild revelry come from inside. Even from this distance, the smell of yeast and alcohol is carried on the chill breeze. Mortals were always fond of drowning their woes in drink, and there was no class of people more familiar with woe than peasants. Yes, whatever pitiful establishment that served as the local watering hole would have plenty of people. Someone there was bound to know where the blacksmith is.

>I will go to the Town Hall. They should have everything I need.
>The sheer number of peasants in the tavern ensures that by sheer probability someone will know where I need to go.
>I am definitely over thinking this. I am a Dungeon Lord. I'm just going to grab the nearest peasant and ask them.
>Write in
>>
>I will go to the Town Hall. They should have everything I need.
>>
>>1761190
>to the bar we go, lads
>>
>>1761190
>I am definitely over thinking this. I am a Dungeon Lord. I'm just going to grab the nearest peasant and ask them.
>>
>>1761190
>The sheer number of peasants in the tavern ensures that by sheer probability someone will know where I need to go.
>>
>>1761190

Technically we are a merchant. And a silly mortal at that. We should act like one, getting a drink and some food after a long hard journey is customary.
>>
>>1761190
Aren't the second and third options like the same thing.
>>
>>1761212
>>1761217
>>1761221
Looks like we're going to the bar!

>>1761237
Yeah but the second option makes it that much more likely that the person you're asking is drunk!

...also the third is basically a random encounter. You would have rolled to see what you got.
>>
>>1761190
You make your way to the local tavern. A wooden structure that seems to embody the very essence of the word "ramshackle." You walk in and you get hit with a heady air of hops, barley, and the general smell of dirty, frozen-but-recently-thawed peasants. Your entrance is noted by the patrons, but few give you more than cursory stares before turning back to their meals, their drinks, and their conversation. The barman eyes you as you approach the counter, but you get a wink from someone you assume is what for a saucy bar wench here in the frozen north. The barman, a man who embodies the very essence of the word "surly", greets you with a thick, accented, "What'll ye have, stranger?"

It is only at this moment do you realize that the only things you have to your name is an unworked fire agate, an obsidian ooze, and half a ton of gold ore. It is in this moment that you feel that your need for a blacksmith is palpable.
"Information, actually." you answer. "I'm looking for the local blacksmith."
The barman's lips purse tighly as he starts to suspect that you aren't a paying customer.

>Give him your unworked fire agate. Maybe that will loosen his lips.
>Give him nothing. Peasants don't get treasure for almost being of use to you.
>Write in
>>
>>1761273
>Give him a chunk of gold ore.
>"It's unrefined, but lead me to a nice blacksmith and that chunk there is yours."
>>
>>1761284
This. Very small chunk
>>
>>1761284
This is uneccisary
>>1761273
>Give him nothing. Peasants don't get treasure for almost being of use to you.
But flash a nugget and say that we can pay if we want to. He wont be getting shit out of us unless its for a good or service he's selling. Also to keep up appearances:
>order some food and drink.
Oh and I almost forgot
>get some food for the slime as well.
>>
>>1761273
>Show him the unworked fire agate and gold, but don't give it to him.

These savages don't deserve our treasures, but flaunting them might be convincing enough in itself.
>>
>>1761284
>>1761289
>>1761293
>>1761295
Oh wow, looks like we're tied up! Ah well. Writing!
>>
>>1761273
You reach into your pockets and pull out a small bit of ore and your unworked agate. Even in their raw state, the gem and gold glitter in the firelight. A glitter that is reflected in the barkeep's eyes. He looks from you, to the riches, and back to you. His demeanor becomes softer, nodding. "Well, the best blacksmith in Winterwind is the clangs. Err, sorry. The locals call it the clangs. On account of the clanging. It's owned by Shagga Sunbird. As long as you don't mind halfie work, then Shagga's the best in town..." His voice trails off, then he clears his throat. "There's also... Ahem. Well, locals call him Blind Briggs. He's not really blind, but he has this... weird way of making horse shoes. Sure, he can shoe a horse quicker'n anyone I've ever seen. But he always does it blindfolded. Absolutely refuses to shoe a horse without one. Anyway, he can make other stuff, too. Just a bit of a local nut, we imagine."

You listen to the bartender carefully, taking note of the directions toward the two locations, then nod. "Thank you." you say, before pushing a small bit of ore toward him. A speck of gold glints on it, but you're familiar enough with ore to know this paltry little bit is likely to yield little more than rock dust if smelted. You lose nothing and he gets to feel like he earned something. The pride of small minds is easily assauged. If the barman hoped for more substantial treasures, he should learn to be of more use to you. Or at least answer questions without trying to beg for incentive like a dog salivating for a treat.

You mull over his words, noting the two individuals that most likely suit your needs. This Shagga Sunbird, an orc name if you ever heard one. Halfie, the barman had called her. You can only surmise that this Shagga was a half orc. Surely her savage blood might make her more at home in your Dungeon, but she is almost definitely more comfortable amid the humans if she's built a life in this backwater. Of course, there was that other one. Human from the sound of him, but eccentric. Eccentricity breeds alienation, and if this Blind Bart is truly apart from this town, then surely he could be more easily persuaded to leave it and work for you.

Decisions, decisions.

>Head for The Clangs.
>Head for Blind Bart.
>Write in
>>
>>1761367
>blind master
>>
>>1761367
And I realize I fucked his name twice.
His name is Bartholomew Briggs. His local nickname is Blind Bart or Blind Briggs. Just to be clear.
>>
>>1761367
>Visit both, starting with crazy blind man.

What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>1761377
>>1761394
Looks like we're off to see the blind man! Writing
>>
>>1761367

>Head for Blind Bart.
Let's be honest here the guy with the best business is going to be the least willing to leave it. Besides he's 'eccentric' which hopefully means he actually crazy enough to work in a dungeon.
>>
File: 03-770x425.jpg (47KB, 770x425px) Image search: [Google]
03-770x425.jpg
47KB, 770x425px
>>1761367
At the word of the barman, you make your way back out into the frozen streets. Snow crunches underneath your feet as you make your way up to the north end of the town. The northeast outskirts is where you were told lies the workshop of the one they called Blind Briggs. You follow the directions and soon your ears pick up a steady clanging. Ah, the telltale sounds of a blacksmith at work. You pick up your pace and close in on the shop. If you thought the inn was ramshackle, this place seemed positively derelict. A faded sign sways in the wind bearing the barely-legibile emblem of a horseshoe, and the word "Ironshoes Ironworks." You take a breif moment wondering if this was supposed to be clever, before you shake your head and wander in.

Inside is only marginally warmer than outside, but quickly warms the closer you get to the stone forge. A muscled, middle-aged man with a thick, black beard hammers away at horseshoes glowing with heat. You immediately notice that a dark blue headband is tied around his eyes. Well, at least the barman hadn't lied to you. The man doesn't look up from his work, and you spend a brief moment wondering if he heard you come in. This question is answered by his nonchalant delivery of, "Just because I can't see ya doesn't mean I won't know if you take anything. State your business and I'll see if I have time."

>Introduce yourself under false pretenses
>Honesty is probably the best policy
>Ask him some questions first [Write in]
>>
>>1761453
>>Honesty is probably the best policy
>>
>>1761453
>Honesty is probably the best policy
>>
>>1761453
"How familiar are you with the smelting and work of precious metals? Hm if you told me your skill in more...exotic minerals besides common iron would also help greatly. If your into a true challenge then I believe you will especially appreciate the proposal I have to offer."
>>
>>1761453
>Bartholomew Briggs, I've come to offer you the greatest undertaking of your life.
>>
>>1761479
>>1761482
>>1761487
>>1761490
Writing!
>>
>>1761453
"Bartholomew Briggs. I have come to offer you the greatest undertaking of your life." you say in your most impressive voice. You didn't add any sort of ethereal flair, you didn't want to put the man on his guard just yet. This gives Bartholomew pause. He looks up, and affixes you with a hard, blindfolded stare. "Well, that's quite the song you're singing, stranger."

"I am in the market for the services of a blacksmith. How familiar are you with the smelting of work and precious metals? If you told me your skill in more... exotic minerals besides iron and whatever common minerals you have here would also be of great help. If you are a man who enjoys a challenge, then I do believe you will most appreciate the proposal I have for you."

"Exotic, huh?" Bart huffs a bit. You denote a mark of arrogance in his tone. "How exotic we talking?"

"Anything I can dig out of the ground. I've found gold and fire agate so far. I'm expecting to find a lot more. The man who can smelt ore into pure metals for me is going to be a very rich man, indeed."

Bart looks at you incredulously. "Hard to believe a deal like that is true." he says, his voice clearly unsure of whether or not to trust you.

It's at this point that you reach into your pocket. This move puts the blacksmith on edge, but you pull out a bit of ore and your fire agate and place them on the table in front of you. You gesture for Bartholomew to inspect them at his leisure. Which he does. The blacksmith whistles as he hefts up a large piece of ore and turns it to catch the light of the forge better. The metal shines in the dim illumination. Bart looks back at you, the look on his face telling you that his suspicions have only increased. "Deal like this... Sounds like they're a catch. What's the catch? Why you come to me when everyone says The Clangs do better work?"

>Tell him the catch is that your blacksmith will have to live in your... complex. You can't afford to be ferrying gold back and forth to town.
>Tell him the catch is that he'll have to be comfortable working alongside various creatures. You know that Dungeons aren't often inhabited by human-friendly denizens.
>Tell him there is no catch, just stipulations of doing business.
>Tell him you might just go to The Clangs if they are willing to work for cheaper. You just thought he might want to jump at the chance before you made them the offer.
>Write in
>>
>>1761547

>Tell him the catch is that your blacksmith will have to live in your... complex. You can't afford to be ferrying gold back and forth to town.
We can seperate him from the minions easily enough. He wont have to see them at all if we play our cards right.
>>
>>1761547
Can we also go to The Clangs as well? Wouldn't hurt to have both. We also need a gem-cutter while we're at it unless Bart can do both.
>>
>>1761547
>"Other than your servitude, there is no catch. You will work for me, and you shall be given all that you need to develop your already substantial talents to new heights."
>>
>>1761547
>>Tell him the catch is that your blacksmith will have to live in your... complex. You can't afford to be ferrying gold back and forth to town.

>>1761556
I think taking both the blacksmiths from this town would draw undue attention to us before we are ready.
>>
Oh, here's an idea. We meet up with both of them, and we offer them a challenge. The one who can refine an ore of gold the best gets to come with us.
>>
>>1761556
You can go to The Clangs if you want, but blacksmiths aren't gemcutters. You have no reason to suspect that one would be at The Clangs unless you just want to take a stab in the dark. But trying to get both blacksmiths under your wing is definitely possible. Of course taking both blacksmiths would likely draw attention to you like >>1761569 said.

>seizing the means of production
D-Does that make us communists?
>>
>>1761551
>>1761569
Looks like we have a winner! Writing
>>
>>1761591
What if we leave a sort of calling card, so the next time we come we can pick them up as well? Or they can come to us.
>>
File: ghostiron.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
ghostiron.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
>>1761547
"The catch is that I cannot afford an off-site blacksmith." you explain. "I would need you to come stay in my... complex. You would leave this... shop." you say, heasitating as you repressed your urge to used words like "shack" and "decaying." "I would have space for you made in my complex, and you would be free to work my ore into pure gold. You will be given tools, equipment, and all that you need to develop your already substantial talents to new heights." You speak, and you can almost see the gears turning in Bartholomew's head. You decide to drive in the final nail. "At least, so long as The Clangs do not undercut you, of course."

You see Bartholomew furrow his brow. It seems that digging at that insecurity, you have struck a nerve. He gets an odd look, and reaches up to point at his blindfold. "Do you want to know why I wear this?" he asks. Apparently he assumes the question is rhetorical because he moves to the back of the shop. You watch him, curious, as he fishes out a key and pulls out a lockbox. He opens it, and turns it to you. "I believe you asked about exotic metals?" he says, the vestiges of arrogance back in his voice.

In the lockbox is a bar of pale, white metal that seems to emit a thin vapor as if it were cooled to a great degree. Your calm demeanor is almost shattered as you recognize such a metal. Spirit iron, or ghost iron. You wrack your brain to try and puzzle out why some backwater peasant would have a bar of what appears to be pure ghost iron. Your words fail you as you look at the blacksmith incredulously, finding the man smirking underneath his blindfold as if he could see your expression. "I can bet you your entire gold mine that The Clangs don't have anyone that can work something like this."

>Demand to know where a nameless peasant lost in the frozen hinterlands came to acquire a bar of pure ghost iron.
>Try the diplomatic approach. Collect yourself and show no emotion as you calmly inquire.
>Write in
>>
>>1761615
Actually, on that note, we don't even have to be hostile. If we recruit both of them, we can set up a contract with the town and be one of their sole suppliers of processed metal.
That would earn us a pretty bit of coin.
>>
>>1761673
I meant to send this earlier, but it didn't send for some reason.

Anyways.

>>1761668
>Try the diplomatic approach. Collect yourself and show no emotion as you calmly inquire.
>>
>>1761668
>>
>>1761668
>hmph. Im impressed. Very. And as much as id like to ask you where ypu aquired both the bar and skill, everyone has their secrets... in any case do you accept my offer?
>>
>>1761668
>>1761687
second
>>
>>1761713
>>1761687
>>1761685
>>1761678
Ack! A tie! Oh well, writing!
>>
>>1761687
tiebreaker vote.
>>
>>1761760
Oh, well let me just throw out half of what I just wrote, then. Hah! Writing more!
>>
>>1761668
Spirit Iron. Actual Spirit Iron. The most you can figure is that this small-minded fool had no idea how valuable even a little bar like that could be. To the right person, that bar could buy the entire town twice over. Of course, such a thing could also buy him a dagger to the throat. It's almost laughable that he kept it hidden in a simple iron lockbox.
"I'm impressed." you say in your most dispassionate voice. "As much as I'd like to inquire where you attained such a bar and the skills to work the metal, I'm going to assume your showing it to me means you accept my offer?"

The blacksmith nods. "I'll work your metals. Provided I can return to this shop every three months for one night. It's kind of a... prior arrangement." he says.

You look at him inquisitively, but you'd already made the decision the blacksmith could keep his secrets. You didn't need to know everything about him. Only that he worked your metals. "That can be arranged." you say.

"And one more thing..." he says. You feel your nerves start to grate.
"My daughter." says Bartholomew. "Usually she assists in the shop, but I understand if your mines can't accomodate her. She's thirteen winters, but if you will grant me an advance on your payment, I can send her back to live with her mother."

You think on this a moment. "You would abandon your own child for gold?" you say coldly.

"It's not like that." Bartholomew says defensively. "If this job is as good as you say, then I can provide far more for her than I can just being the second best shop in Winterwind. Allow me to send her out on the next caravan, and I'll happily accept your offer."

You roll this around in your head for a while.

>Loan him the necessary gold to secure a passage on the next caravan. Surely his working for you will more than pay it off.
>Allow him to bring his daughter.
>Write in
>>
>>1761791

Should we ask him if would mind if we hired other people?
>>
>>1761791
>>>Loan him the necessary gold to secure a passage on the next caravan. Surely his working for you will more than pay it off.

I really don't want to be responsible for his daughter finding out where the slimes live.
>>
>>1761791
>Allow him to bring his daughter

Obviously we can't force him, but if she usually assists in the shop, it would make sense to have her along.

Plus, if our minions (future or current) can be persuaded to see the daughter as a mascot or whatever, it might improve morale and even loyalty, if we play our cards right down the road.
>>
>>1761810
If you ask him if he minds other blacksmiths being on the project, he'd say "Only if it means you paid me less." in a half joking manner.

As long as you pay them equally, then he doesn't mind. You do expect to be mining a lot of ore, after all.
>>
>>1761791
>Allow him to bring his daughter, for now. Have her assist him now and send her back to her mother later once our resources have been sufficiently refined.
>>
>>1761791
If he doesnt want to bring her, we can loan him some gold easy.
>>
>>1761810
>>1761823
>>1761828
>>1761851
Writing!
>>
File: snowypath.jpg (202KB, 1000x659px) Image search: [Google]
snowypath.jpg
202KB, 1000x659px
>>1761791
"Accommodations can be made for your family." you answer.

"Really?" Bartholomew asks hopefully. You nod. "Well, you have yourself a blacksmith!"

"You will have a week to make your arrangements." you say. You know you will need time for your imps to carve out a section for the blacksmith and his daughter to live. As you start to think of humanoid accomodations, you realize something. "My project is... large in scope. Would you have any issue with me hiring more blacksmiths to help with the smelting?" you ask.

Bartholomew shakes his head. "Hey, so long as you hiring them doesn't mean I get paid less, you can hire whoever you want."

"Excellent." you say. "Then I will call upon you in one week." Bartholomew reaches his hand out, and you offer yours in turn. Such was the custom with mortals. You ponder whether or not you should also look into hiring this Shagga Sunbird. You could smelt the ore faster if you had more than one blacksmith. After all, even if no one in The Clangs could work exotic metals, you were almost positive that the vast majority of blacksmith services you needed was smelting the gold. The imps were certainly capable of mining vast amounts of ore at their frenzied pace, especially when properly motivated with compliments, ultimatums, and a liberal use of your spectral wrath.

You step out of the Ironshoes Ironworks, the snow once again crunching as you walk along back in the other direction. Regardless of your decision, if you were going to house humanoids, you would soon have to deal with the issue of feeding them. Not to mention that the Obsidian Ooze will require a lot of food if you ever hope of growing it into a proper monster.

>I should go and try to recruit from The Clangs next. Surely more blacksmiths in my employ can only benefit my dungeon.
>One is enough for now. I can hire more if I start pulling more ore than Bartholomew can handle. Right now my efforts are best served getting my Dungeon ready.
>Write in
>>
All right, you crazy cats. That's gonna be it for me tonight. I'll be back tomorrow around the same time!

I went ahead and made a twitter because apparently that's what all the cool kids do for their quests.
https://twitter.com/DungeonLordQM

Follow me there if you want updates on when the thread starts and I'll also be posting the times when I plan on running. It's been pretty consistent the past few days but unfortunately there will be days when I can't run.

Other than that, hope you all had fun, and hope everyone returns tomorrow for the continuation of Dungeon Lord Quest!
>>
>>1761907
>>One is enough for now. I can hire more if I start pulling more ore than Bartholomew can handle. Right now my efforts are best served getting my Dungeon ready.

Thanks for running. Its been fun.
>>
>>1761907
>I should go and try to recruit from The Clangs next. Surely more blacksmiths in my employ can only benefit my dungeon.
>>
>>1761907
>One is enough for now. I can hire more if I start pulling more ore than Bartholomew can handle. Right now my efforts are best served getting my Dungeon ready.
>>
>>1761907
>>
>>1761907

Not worth pissing off a whole village by taking all their smiths. That could come back to bite us on the ass. Especially since we are still in the early stages of development.
>>
>>1761907
>>
>>1762247
I mean, thinking about it. Isn't that kinda silly?

>Some rich dude came into our village offering jobs. And the smiths that don't really have any obligation to us took the job offer. REeeee.

And it's not like we're going to leave them without, we could establish a sort of order system. Heck, we could even sell it at a discounted rate to keep them happy.
>>
>>1762403
I get what you're saying, but the thing is what I'm getting and I admit this is mostly assumption on my part, is that this is a small close knit community. They will notice two people they have come to rely heavily upon going away and it will probably be all they really have to talk about because come on what else happens in a village like this? That could lead to weeks of us being the only real news in a time period where getting drunk and gossiping is the only real pass time. It was also implied they settled out here to avoid the tax collectors and not be part of any nation. By basically monopolizing a very necessary service to the town it could look like we are taking steps toward a governing role. They could very well resent that as could any nearby towns.

We also don't really know the rate he works and we even took on his daughter. We could end up paying two people for the work of one in the short term. Of course we will eventually expand past one smith, but by then we should have a completely different and stronger hand to work with.
>>
>>1761907
>One is enough for now.
>>
>>1761907

This is good stuff!

Eagerly watched!
>>
we should try to talk to some fishermen now that we have stuff to feed plus it will improve relations with the village
>>
>>1761907
>>One is enough for now. I can hire more if I start pulling more ore than Bartholomew can handle. Right now my efforts are best served getting my Dungeon ready.
>>
>>1761907

If we're pulling in more ore than we can smelt, we can pick up another blacksmith. If we aren't, we're paying someone to do nothing. Besides, it'll probably be a couple more weeks before we'll have a good idea of how much ore we can mine, so we can use that time to get a better sense of the area and see if there are other settlements we can slowly pick and choose minions from.

Also, we didn't really address it this time, but we might want to discuss the sorts of things our future employees are and aren't okay with doing. As a Dungeon Lord, we have hard decisions to make at times and incentive to choose less popular courses of action at times to achieve our goals.

>Long-term goals

After we get our dungeon up and running, or perhaps even before, we should see what we can do about setting up an inn in town catering to adventurers. It might cost some money, but think about the potential for screening our future visitors - if any particular adventurer seems to be more of a threat, we can come up with an action plan ahead of time. This also has the added benefit of some soft power in the settlement, through the slowly growing influence of whoever it is we would put in charge. We'd have to make sure they were loyal to us, but I think as long as we cover our bases, having an inn could be a huge advantage.

>Spirit Iron

This sounds dope. Do we know what the practical uses are for Spirit Iron? It seems to me that it's a resource we ought to figure out how to use well sooner rather than later, assuming we have a way to implement it.
>>
>>1761907
Lurker here,

Keep up the good work, this is surprisingly enthralling.
>>
>>1763117
Yeah, there have been quite a few Dungeon Master quests, but this one is actually better written than usual.
>>
You make your way out of the town. You'd come to the conclusion that one Blacksmith is surely enough to fit your needs for now. Your grand machinations for your Dungeon would surely come to require more, but there was no sense in rushing things. The unsuspecting town knew little of you, save for a strange merchant that came asking work from the eccentric Blacksmith at the edge of town. No sense in drawing undue attention to yourself just yet. In time, there won't be a soul who doesn't know your name. Whispering it in hushed tones and reverent awe. But that was long into the future. The last thing you needed was a bunch of suspicious peasants showing up at your doorstep asking the wrong questions. You weren't certain your Obsidian Ooze could handle a mob of peasants. At least, not yet. That would require it to grow bigger.

The thought of feeding your Ooze, your new employee, and his daughter brings a question to the forefront of your mind. Food. With acquiring residents for your Dungeon, you will have to feed them. You go to work on puzzling out this as you steadily walk back toward your Dungeon. Several options were before you.

Over the years, Dungeon Lords of the past had cultivated a rather robust species of fowl. Dubbed the "Cave Chicken", these fat little birds were all but useless outside of their value as meat. Stupid and barely above the level of vermin, their quick reproduction rates and rapid growth cycle made them one of the easiest methods of providing food to a growing dungeon. It wasn't unheard of for an entire Dungeon complex to be fed on little more than the meat of cave chickens. Plenty of dungeons had vast coops where the things bred and fed until they were fat enough to be eaten by whatever monster happened to be hungry at the time. They are fit for human consumption, though any creature possessing taste buds is likely to complain. The taste of cave chicken meat has been said to be... bland at best. Of course, this route was also the cheapest endeavor.

Of course, you were in a land of ice and fire. There were plenty of steam caves perfect for the cultivation of mosses, molds and mushrooms. With the right guiding hand, you could start up an agricultural venture to grow edible fungi. This would be more costly to establish, you would require spores and someone with enough knowledge to work the fungi. You could eventually start growing more exotic kinds of plants, possibly even toxins and spell reagents for magic-user creatures you attracted to your dungeon, but that was further down the line. You would have to pay a hefty startup cost to get such a farm going, unless you can find local spores. Your mind then turns to the steam caves. Perhaps if you decided to pursue a fungal farm, you could direct your imps to dig around the steam caves. Perhaps you would find the spores you seek growing naturally. Maybe even a local myconid, though chances of that were slim at best. Still, not impossible...

(1/2)
>>
>>1764537
Literally just came to check and saw it update in real time.
>>
File: medieval-feast.jpg (18KB, 250x197px)
medieval-feast.jpg
18KB, 250x197px
(2/2)
>>1764537
You shake your head. It was possible you were thinking too big at the moment. You have one slime, a human, and his child. Surely they could not eat so much. You had someone to work the gold, perhaps it would be best to shop locally for food. At least, for the time being. How much could barrels of fish possibly set you back? You could also turn this to your advantage. Supporting the local fish market, especially if you were regular and generous with your payments, could play to your benefit in the future. Decisions, decisions...

>Cave Chickens are tried and true. Cheap and plentiful, they will support what I have, and anything I add to my Dungeon for now and in the immediate future. If my denizens grow tired of their taste, they are welcome to buy other food with the generous sum I am paying them.

>The Fungal Farm is the best way. It will cost me more to establish if I cannot find a local source, but it will more than return my investiment once I use it to grow more than food.

>I don't need to sustain my own food just yet. I can pull plenty of gold from the vein my imps found, and I can't imagine peasant bread and local fish is incredibly costly. I'll just buy food until my need outstrips what the local economy can provide. The imps already need to build the forge, I can't spread my workforce too thin by making them dig or build elsewhere just yet.

>I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. I should spread out my efforts to solve this problem in more ways than one. Establishing multiple avenues even this early will guard me against upsets later. If one venture fails, I have the others to fall back on to ensure no one goes hungry. Hungry underlings are not loyal underlings.

>Write in
>>
>>1764538
Ha, nice timing!
>>
>>1764542
Cave chicken + buying locally
>>
>>1764542
>I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. I should spread out my efforts to solve this problem in more ways than one. Establishing multiple avenues even this early will guard me against upsets later. If one venture fails, I have the others to fall back on to ensure no one goes hungry. Hungry underlings are not loyal underlings.

with an initial focus on

>I don't need to sustain my own food just yet. I can pull plenty of gold from the vein my imps found, and I can't imagine peasant bread and local fish is incredibly costly. I'll just buy food until my need outstrips what the local economy can provide. The imps already need to build the forge, I can't spread my workforce too thin by making them dig or build elsewhere just yet.

I don't think we should buy food right up until we HAVE to make other food, since that would look suspicious, and we're still in the early fragile stages of dungeon building. I think the Fungal Farm is the optimal long term solution though, if we can get it going. Maybe look for an herbalist at some point?
>>
>>1764593
>>1764592
Writing!
>>
>>1764542
You make the decision that you'll subsist on the local fish market for now. Your imp's efforts are better put either building the new forge or mining ore. The now-familiar entrance to your Dungeon comes into view and you pass over the threshold and take a deep breath. The smell of your Dungeon, while earthy, was preferable to the stench of peasants. Your decision to support the local market in lieu of spreading your workers thin means that you will need some gold to pay for the fish at first. Your blacksmith will need time to smelt bars and coins, and Bartholomew isn't even scheduled to begin work until after the week, so your first barrels of fish will have to be paid with ore. Luckily you have your imps, you can be sure that they'll dig out enough to trade for some fish.

Back in your dungeon, the beating Dungeon Heart pulsing with so much potential that you can almost hear it's drumbeat within your chest, you start thinking of the tasks before you. The food issue was decided, but you still had much work to do. Meq, Hak, and Gok were at your disposal, working on the Ooze Lair. They work fast so the Obsidian monster's home was nearly complete.

>I should prepare for Bartholomew. Have them focus on building the forge and carving out a place for the humans to stay.
>Have them focus on mining gold for now. No sense in having a Blacksmith if I don't have anything for him to smelt.
>I have three imps. I should split their tasks to ensure everything gets done.
>Write in
>>
>>1764746
>I should prepare for Bartholomew. Have them focus on building the forge and carving out a place for the humans to stay.
>>
>>1764746

We've already got some gold, so let's get this going. We can mine more gold when we get done with some accommodations for staff.
>>
>>1764746

Seems like your perseverance paid off OP.
>>
>>1764746
How to get more imps?
>>
>>1764746
>>
>>1764756
>>1764772
>>1764820
Writing!

>>1764783
I guess Anons are more willing to read a Quest when it goes for a while. Probably because most Quests die within the first thread.

>>1764817
You summon them!
>>
>>1764833
Then let's summon more imps.
>>
>>1764833
I would like to believe that we worked together to keep your quest alive long enough that it started getting a little notice, OP. Long may it live.
>>
>>1764746
You decide that your underlings should get to work on preparing for Bartholomew. You order your imps to build a forge, a workshop, and a place for the humans to sleep within the Dungeon. Your mind starts turning again, and thoughts of the Blacksmith being eaten by the Obsidian Ooze play through your minds eye. Well, certainly this wouldn't be a positive development.

>I should order the Imps to build a side entrance to the dungeon. Perhaps even a hidden one. I don't want the humans, or anyone I invite to my Dungeon, really, running afoul of the traps and monsters I plan on setting to guard the main entrance.
>The paltry entrance I have now is certainly not going to be one adventurers come through. No. Let the Blacksmith know of my current doorway, for I shall build a grand entrance once I am ready for adventurers to test their mettle against me.

Feeling the pulse of your Dungeon Heart in your chest lets you know that your Dungeon has grown in Influence. Influence is the collective power of your Dungeon. It is also what keeps monsters like the Obsidian Ooze from leaving. Its power acts as a magnet to monstrous denizens. It doesn't really affect humanoids, who's loyalty is determined by their free will. Less intelligent monsters can be pressed into serving you, provided you are able to keep them fed. Some monsters also have different hungers, and slaking them will influence their attitude. An unhappy monster, or a hungry one, will be restless. If it gets too hungry, it could likely even start attacking your other denizens. Always be wary of taking on more monsters than you can reasonably control. More Influence means you can recruit more monsters. As it stands, you should be able to start pressing monsters into your service.

>I should really summon more imps. I believe my new Influece is best spent here.
>My dungeon is practically undefended! I should have more than a paltry ooze and some imps to guard my Heart.

(2 Votes!)
>>
>>1764914
>My dungeon is practically undefended! I should have more than a paltry ooze and some imps to guard my Heart.
>>
>>1764858
Of course, your help is greatly appreciated!
I'm just glad people are having fun
>>
>>1764923
You can vote for one from each set, anon.
>>
>>1764914
>>I should order the Imps to build a side entrance to the dungeon. Perhaps even a hidden one. I don't want the humans, or anyone I invite to my Dungeon, really, running afoul of the traps and monsters I plan on setting to guard the main entrance.

>>
>>1764914
>I should really summon more imps. I believe my new influence is best spent here.

Quality muscle comes when we're rollin' in dough.
>>
>>1764914

>I should order the Imps to build a side entrance to the dungeon. Perhaps even a hidden one. I don't want the humans, or anyone I invite to my Dungeon, really, running afoul of the traps and monsters I plan on setting to guard the main entrance.
We can always get rid of it later
>I should really summon more imps. I believe my new Influece is best spent here.
I see no reason to have extra monsters when we are not threatened in the slightest.
>>
>>1764944
I'll Support this guy then
>>
>>1764914
Side entrance

More imps
>>
>>1764941
Oh, In that case

>The paltry entrance I have now is certainly not going to be one adventurers come through. No. Let the Blacksmith know of my current doorway, for I shall build a grand entrance once I am ready for adventurers to test their mettle against me.

Preferably the main entrance should be put at the top of the Volcano lair, so the adventurers gotta hike all the way up.
>>
>>1764968
Thats a good point. And if they manage to beat us we can killswitch the dungeon and erupt the volcano for no survivors.
>>
>>1764914

It's better to keep the humans away from the dungeon proper for now, for safety's sake.

Economy first. Monsters are important, but we need the economic power to support them. What good are monsters with no treasure to guard with them?
>>
File: SORRY.png (19KB, 808x630px) Image search: [Google]
SORRY.png
19KB, 808x630px
>>1764981
>"Sorry, but my dungeon heart was in another volcano." *Detonates*
>>
Writing!
>>
>>1764914

>>
File: 1375827763538.jpg (261KB, 1023x754px) Image search: [Google]
1375827763538.jpg
261KB, 1023x754px
>>1764914
You decide that you require more imps if you are to make progress at more than a snail's pace. You venture into one of the side rooms to perform the Ritual of Summoning. Usually you would need a whole room dedicated to the proper runes and sigils to summon a random monster to your dungeon. High-magic Dungeon Lords often used the Ritual of Summoning almost exclusively to populate their Dungeons. Luckily, you were just summoning an Imp. The spell for calling one took little more than a moment of concentration and an effort of will. You feel the Influence in your Heart drain as another Imp manifests. It takes the creature a moment to adjust to his new surroundings, but he immediately turns to you and gives a salute. "Hello, new Master!" he says with almost a chitter. You simply nod as you feel the creature join the ranks of your Dungeon. You always had a mental link to your dungeon. Outsiders were hard pressed to do anything within a Dungeon without the knowledge of the resident Lord. Magics to hide adventuring parties from the sight of the Dungeon Lord existed, but they were rare and complicated spells.

"My name's Lav! I'll be the best worker you got, boss!" the imp says.

"Good. Now go join the others." you order. Lav salutes again and moves off to join the building effort. Your underlings were well underway with beginning construction of the new wing. Your mental link to them allows you to communicate even at this distance. "I'm going to need a side entrance to the new wing you're building. No sense in allowing the humans to come too close to the monsters. We only have an Ooze at the moment, but we won't be so lacking in monsters for long."

"Yes, master!"
"Right away, boss!"
"It will be done, your vileness!"
"We'll get right on it, our most evil Lord!"

You run a few calculations, and at their current pace, their work should be finished by the end of the week.
>This is unacceptable. I shall ensure they are properly... motivated to complete their work faster.
>Let the imps be. Their pace is acceptable. No sense in driving them into the ground over something so paltry.

As visions of your Dungeon's potential play out in your mind's eye, you come to a realization. The lava floes in the volcano could surely be put to use. Utilizing the heat of the volcano would make for a very potent forge, capable of smelting even the hardest metals. Of course this is risky. Digging around lava floes certainly is ill-advised without the utmost precautions. Of course, any losses incurred would just be imps. Easily replaceable.
>Order your imps to incorporate the lava floes into the heart of your new forge.
>No sense in taking unnecessary risks... at least not yet. Harnessing the power of the volcano can come some other time.
>>
>>1765094
>>Let the imps be. Their pace is acceptable. No sense in driving them into the ground over something so paltry.
>>Order your imps to incorporate the lava floes into the heart of your new forge.
>>
>>1765094
>Let the imps be. Their pace is acceptable. No sense in driving them into the ground over something so paltry.
>Order your imps to incorporate the lava floes into the heart of your new forge.
>>
>>1765094

Just keep some cool water nearby to help cool off any burns, and spacing is important. We don't need all of our imps burning because one fucked up.
>>
>>1765094
>>Let the imps be. Their pace is acceptable. No sense in driving them into the ground over something so paltry.

>>
>>1765094
>>
>>1765102
>>1765106
>>1765113
>>1765121
>>1765125
Writing!
>>
>>1765094
>>
>>1765094
You let your imps work at their own pace. "Underlings. Carve a channel for the lava to flow into the heart of the forge. With that, we will be able to smelt anything we find digging deeper into the earth."
Your imps answer with a myriad of acknowledging compliments.
"What a wonderful idea, Master!"
"Most excellent, your Lordship!"
"You can count on us, boss!"

Despite their enthusiasm, you know the manic way imps work can easily lead to disaster if they are too careless around the lava floes. The risk may outweigh the rewards, but you can surely mitigate that risk to some extent. You can threaten them with punishment, but you worry that their fear of you might press them to take further risks to ensure the job gets done. You can likely tell them to take things carefully, but that would likely slow their pace. You aren't likely to finish the forge by the time the Blacksmith arrives if your imps go too slowly. Of course, you could always supervise them personally. But that would tie you up from attending any other matters until the job is done to your satisfaction.

>Tell your imps to go slowly. Caution is key, and I will have no accidents. (+3 days build time. Total: 9)
>I will tolerate no delays! The imps will work to ensure the forge is completed, and woe betide them should they disappoint me by being careless. (+10% chance of accident)
>Hitting rocks is far too complicated a task to entrust to imps. I shall supervise them personally to ensure the job gets done correctly. (-33% chance of accident, can take no other actions until the work is complete.)
>>
>>1765204
>>Tell your imps to go slowly. Caution is key, and I will have no accidents. (+3 days build time. Total: 9)
>>
>>1765204
>Tell your imps to go slowly. Caution is key, and I will have no accidents. (+3 days build time. Total: 9)

As much as it would be nice to get done quicker, I'd rather not lose one or more of only four imps. Maybe we can spare a little time to help out, but I'd rather the Blacksmith arrive to incomplete lodgings than lava-flooded ones.
>>
>>1765204
>Hitting rocks is far too complicated a task to entrust to imps. I shall supervise them personally to ensure the job gets done correctly. (-33% chance of accident, can take no other actions until the work is complete.)

It's to early to have "accidents." Work those slaves.
>>
>>1765204
>>Hitting rocks is far too complicated a task to entrust to imps. I shall supervise them personally to ensure the job gets done correctly. (-33% chance of accident, can take no other actions until the work is complete.)
>>
>>1765204
>>
File: Lavaflood.png (21KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
Lavaflood.png
21KB, 253x199px
>>1765227
>>1765230
>>1765240
>>1765247
>>1765253
All right, Writing.

Gonna need everyone to roll a 1d100!

Taking average of best 3, time to see if you manage to not flood your dungeon with lava
>>
Rolled 9 (1d100)

>>1765288
>>
Rolled 3 (1d100)

>>1765288
>>
Rolled 43 (1d100)

>>1765288
>>
Rolled 48 (1d100)

>>1765288
>>
It's not looking good, boys.
>>
Rolled 79 (1d100)

>>1765288
>>
>>1765288
If you want a job done right, you have to do it yourself. The old mortal adage has long been quoted by Dungeon Lords with a more, 'hands-on' approach to their stewardship. Never before had the meaning of this phrase come to perfect clarity as in the week you spent personally directing your minions to work on the lava forge. From the off, your imps' excitement to shine in front of their master was apparent. Their frenzied work pace was fevered in an attempt to please you. On the second day, you found yourself lucky that Dungeon Hearts weren't prone to infarction, else you probably would have had a heart attack when you saw Hak eagerly picking away at a rock that was giving off an immense amount of heat. Imps were generally impervious to fire, but you knew that if he were to break through that wall, it would have spelled disaster for your budding dungeon. Using your spectral hand, you pulled Hok off of the wall before he could pick away a fault line. You thoroughly inspect the wall afterward, and become confident that the structure is sound. So long as nobody went around hammering a pick through the rock, the lava would not breach.

Even with the close call, the wheels in your mind start to turn. Such a wall could easily be outfitted with ways to utilize the lava in all manner of devious ways. Of course, you would need a trapmaker or an engineer to properly make use of this. You breathe easier, confident that you have avoided disaster. Under your supervision, the imps complete their work in the allotted time, and without any more close calls as far as lava breaches go.

>Scold your imps harshly. A liberal use of your spectral wrath is appropriate here. They should learn caution.
>Scold them lightly. It is not their fault, they are imps. They cannot help themselves against their nature and their all-encompasing desire to please you.
>Let them be. You fully expected them to do as they did, and that is why you made sure to supervise them. If you would fault imps for being imps, you should probably hire someone else to do your digging.
>>
Ladies and gentlemen, I just want to say how close to utter devastation we have just come.

DC: 60 to successfully incorporate the lava flow into your forge heart.

DC - 33% for personal supervision over your imps.

DC: 41

Without the lucky 79 roll, we would be in quite dire straits.
>>
>>1765364
>Scold them lightly. It is not their fault, they are imps. They cannot help themselves against their nature and their all-encompasing desire to please you.
>>
>>1765364
>>Scold them lightly. It is not their fault, they are imps. They cannot help themselves against their nature and their all-encompasing desire to please you.
>>
>>1765364

>>1765375
This
>>
>>1765364
>Scold your imps harshly. A liberal use of your spectral wrath is appropriate here. They should learn caution.

I'm normally down for lighter punishments, but we could've died. I think a harsh scolding with an emphasis on the possibility of their master's death if they'd have fucked up more would absolutely be called for.

Maybe get them cake afterwards and reassure them that we still love them.
>>
>>1765400
Even if we would have died, as long as the dungeon's okay we'd be fine. I mean, it would have taken a lot of cleanup but we'd be fine.
>>
>>1765411
I mean, that's exactly my point. The dungeon >might< have been in terrible shape, to the point that the heart was destroyed. Besides, at some point we're going to have a lot more valuable stuff around, and we won't want careless mistakes then either. They'll happen, cause they're imps, but if we make it clear now, with the small number we have, maybe they can set the tone for our future imps as well.

If I'm outvoted, I'm outvoted, but I think this is worth considering.
>>
Writing!
>>
File: 5fvS5Ul.jpg (266KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
5fvS5Ul.jpg
266KB, 1440x900px
>>1765364
With images of your Dungeon Heart sinking into a rising tide of lava, you manage to steady the spectral hand of your wrath as you wheel on your imps.
"When I say caution, I mean caution." you say. You manage to keep your wroth tone out of your voice, and instead instill your words with an icy chill that drives your point home. "You would have flooded the Dungeon with lava, and possibly even damaged or destroyed the Heart."

Your imps stir into an apologetic frenzy. Prostrating themselves before you, they spout the harshest insults at themselves for their role in putting both you and your Dungeon in danger.
"Please, us worthless imps are undeserving of service to you, mighty one!"
"We are worms before your splendor, my Lord!"
"We will accept any punishment you see fit to exact upon us, o' darkest one!"
"Would that by blood could wash away the sins of my ineptitude, boss. Say the word and I shall cast myself into the fire!"

You hold up a hand to silence their groveling. "Do not make the same mistakes again. When I urge you to be cautious, I expect you to be cautious. I would not waste by breath warning you if I did not suspect the likelihood of danger."

"You are too kind, Lord!"
"We will heed your words, dark master!"
"We shall not fail you again!"
"On my life, we will not falter in our service again, boss!"

You shake your head and dismiss your imps back to putting the finishing touches on the lava forge. The week had come and you were set to bring Bartholomew back here. He should find his lodgings more than accommodating. You're reasonably sure that the human would not have seen the likelihood of such a forge as you have built. Sure, you were not the first Dungeon Lord to build one, but the risks of having lava flows so close to the Dungeon Heart was a risk not many Lords were willing to take. Now that you had one, it was surely a mark of your prowess as a Lord. To harness the very core of the volcano. Such a thing always sounded impressive to other Lords. Still, now that your imps were finished, you could direct them to some less dangerous tasks.

>Have them focus on mining gold. Now that we have our forge, and our blacksmith is to be here shortly, we should be churning out ore for him to smelt. I could even have the imps branch out from the main vein to see if I can find more deposits like the fire agate.
>I decided to approach our food situation from more than one end. Buying from the locals is one avenue I have decided, but I should probably start setting up for that Funal Farm or Chicken Coops...
>My influence is growing. I should have the imps build a Summoning Circle so I am not just stuck with bringing in the local wildlife.
>I have gold and a means to smelt it. I should focus on finding a gemcutter since I already know I have a deposit of fire agates.
>I need to prepare my defenses. Unprotected wealth is hanging bait with no trap. I need protection for both my riches and my Heart.
>Write in
>>
>>1765515
>Have them focus on mining gold. Now that we have our forge, and our blacksmith is to be here shortly, we should be churning out ore for him to smelt. I could even have the imps branch out from the main vein to see if I can find more deposits like the fire agate.

Then with the wealth, prioritize:

>I decided to approach our food situation from more than one end. Buying from the locals is one avenue I have decided, but I should probably start setting up for that Funal Farm or Chicken Coops...

Defence should come very soon after, but as a Lord yourself you should be able to defend if an adventurer stumbles into your dungeon.

(P.S: I know this is a Dungeon Keeper quest, but I really liked DiveQuest and this is taking a similar route in the base building portion.)
>>
>Set two imps at work mining. One set to mine the main vein and one to branch off.

>Set one imp to work making traps around the place.

>Set the last imp to work making the Chicken Coops.

>We will head into town looking for a gem-cutter.
>>
>>1765515
>>I need to prepare my defenses. Unprotected wealth is hanging bait with no trap. I need protection for both my riches and my Heart.

Honestly I don't think this is the best course of action. We've been pretty careful not to arouse suspicion and should be safe for the near future, but there's just an itch in my mind saying we NEED defenses.
>>
>>1765515
>My influence is growing. I should have the imps build a Summoning Circle so I am not just stuck with bringing in the local wildlife.

We need to summon a freaking fire elemental or something.
>>
>>1765515

Gonna second
>>1765542

I'd like to see us make a fungal farm eventually though, since it'd make labor in our dungeon more attractive to humans (our principal workforce) and could eventually yield some more exotic materials. That said, dungeon chickens are quick/cheap, and we need something to feed our slime. Once it's up and running a coup should be able to sustain pretty much anything that doesn't care about flavor, so long as we make it large enough.
>>
Writing!
>>
>>1765515
You decide that splitting your workforce is most efficient going forward. You order two of your imps to focus on mining. Even one imp is capable of pulling out half a ton of ore per day from a mine. You order Hak to focus on mining gold. You order Meq to focus on mining into the fire agate vein. With a steady income of gold and agates, you wouldn't have to worry about finances any time soon, unless you wanted to undergo a very expensive venture. You order Gok to set up some traps around the 'main' entrance to your dungeon. Imps were not trapmakers, but their access to the pool of knowledge all Dungeon Keepers had access to meant they could easily build some rudimentary traps. Pitfalls, collapsing ceilings, and swinging rock traps can all be constructed with the simplest tools. Anything mechanical or more complicated would require the services of an engineer or a trapmaker. You could also erect some swinging blade traps if you ordered Bartholomew to craft you some blades. As it stands, you order Gok to modestly trap the entrance, heavily trap the corridor to your Dungeon Heart, and leave no traps on the way to the Obsidian Ooze.

Your newest imp you order to start building a coop for Cave Chickens. The day comes when you must venture back into town to bring Bartholomew and his daughter to your dungeon. You breathe easier knowing that all of your preparations are in order and you lead the humans to your dungeon.
"By the gods..." the blacksmith says, his awe over your lava force was evident.
"You have free reign of your quarters, the worshop, and the forge. You know the door and you are free to leave when you choose. Beyond that, I urge you to stay away from the rest of the complex. The other parts are... unstable as of yet. No sense in you falling into a lava pit because you took a wrong turn."

Bartholomew agrees to stay in his area, and promises to start work in the morning. You would prefer him to start rightaway, but you understand that mortals need rest after traveling in the snow.
>Bartholomew should smelt coins. I am in need of currency and my dealings should be discrete.
>I do not deal in paltry sums. The forge shall smelt bricks.

It is unfortunate, that in your second visit to Winterwind, you are unable to locate a gemcutter. It seems the small fishing village does not have much in the ways of gemcutting. Likely because such a backwater has no interest in attempting to mine through the ice. Oh well. At least you will not have to compete with the locals for mineral rights.

>It is of no consequence. I can order a gemcutter through another Dungeon Lord.
>With the gold I am pulling out of the mine, I can easily afford the Headhunter price.
>My coffers will not line the pockets of my rivals nor will I deal with Headhunters. My need for a gemcutter is not so great I cannot think of another route.
>>
>>1765686
>I do not deal in paltry sums. The forge shall smelt bricks.
>With the gold I am pulling out of the mine, I can easily afford the Headhunter price.
>>
>>1765686

>Bartholomew should smelt coins. I am in need of currency and my dealings should be discrete.
Time enough to make bars later, we are yet growing and I think anonymity suits our purposes best for the time being.

We can always isolate our gem-cutter and make escape seem... unpalatable until they become disinclined to try. We do live on a desolate mountain surrounded by bleak fields of snow and little to no food or protection from the elements. As for gold, well, this is why we mine.
>>
>>1765720
Supporting this.
>>
>>1765686
>I want enough coins to cover our food budget until we can be self sufficient, but beyond that I'd like bricks

>My coffers will not line the pockets of my rivals nor will I deal with Headhunters. My need for a gemcutter is not so great I cannot think of another route.

Honestly I'm not really against the headhunter route. The thing is we went through the trouble to get our smith amicably I kind of want to wait until the honeymoon period is over and we've forged at least a little loyalty before we abduct some one and have them whisper into our smith's ears what a monster we are.
>>
Writing!
>>
>>1765743
I agree
We are not in need of a gem cutter just yet
>>
>>1765686

>>
>>1765686
You tell Bartholomew that he should be smelting gold into coins. Bricks can come later. Currency would allow you to be discrete.

You decide that if you cannot find a gemcutter, you will procure one. You know the spell to contact the Headhunters, all Dungeon Lords do. The Headhunters have been a lucrative business for as long as Dungeon Lords were in need of services not easily obtained where they made their Lairs. By the time the Headhunter official arrived at your dungeon, you had more than enough coins to hand over the sum. "Finder's Fee." they called it. More like blood money.

"A gemcutter of some skill. He needn't be a grandmaster, but he should be able to work freshly mined gems." you explain.
The shadowy figure hefts the bag of gold you had given him, as if to make sure the weight was right. You're almost offended.
"Then we shall procure one within the month." the figure says, nodding.

"The less... coercive means, the better." you say. You'd managed to convince Bartholomew to work for you without much trouble. You didn't want to sour that relationship by openly bringing in a hostage.

"Oh?" the Headhunter says in a tone you completely dislike. It was too smug.
"How important is it?"

>Add some incentive to the payment to ensure the Headhunters do not bring you someone they coerced at knifepoint. (+Loyalty, -300 gold)
>Simply stress how important it is that the person they procure not be someone likely to put a knife in your Dungeon Heart.
>Write in
>>
>>1765686
>>
>>1765826
>Add some incentive to the payment to ensure the Headhunters do not bring you someone they coerced at knifepoint. (+Loyalty, -300 gold)

If it doesn't work out well, we could always just carve out a livable space and workshop for the gem-cutter then cave in the entrance once they're inside and provide them with necessities through a hole in the wall. No need for our smith to even know we have a gem-cutter until the time is right.
>>
>>1765826
>Kill the headhunter for talking to you like that. You are a dungeon lord
>>
>>1765833
How about we don't alienate the head hunters? I'm pretty certain others of their ilk will be less than happy to do business with us if the one we summoned fails to return, or does so only posthumously.
>>
>>1765826
>>Add some incentive to the payment to ensure the Headhunters do not bring you someone they coerced at knifepoint. (+Loyalty, -300 gold)

>>1765833
Now annon there is a sacred trust that we can not violate for fear of being blacklisted.
>>
>>1765826
>"If it comes to my knowledge that you happened to coerce one of my potential workers, it would just happen that our business would end there with no further contact between our two parties."
>>
Writing!
>>
>>1765840
>>1765846
Can we kill em later. Let's not forget the insult they gave to a powerful lord
>>
>>1765895
Well I mean whatever happens out of our domain is clearly not our fault right? Still he has uses and we hardly have the personal to pull it off right now.
>>
>>1765895
Well, if we're going to wreck vengence, I'd suggest enthralling them somehow. No need to waste a potential asset. We'd have to see about spells of binding though... preferably painful ones.
>>
File: inspiration_02.jpg (11KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
inspiration_02.jpg
11KB, 200x195px
>>1765826
You send your imps to fetch a sack of ore. You hadn't had time to smelt them down into coins, but you ensure to tell them to bring gold-rich pieces and not just shiny rocks. You end up giving away about three hundred gold pieces worth of metal, but you really don't need a liability right now. You consider the cost an investment against future sabotage. Insurance, if you will.
"You can be assured that The Headhunters will excercise the utmost care with procuring your charge." the shade says. You wouldn't trust him even as far as you could throw him, but you didn't need to. All you had to trust was that The Headhunters were going to deliver.

Their institution was based on good faith. After all, how could they make money if they didn't deliver? Their clientelle was exclusively Dungeon Lords, at least, it was as far as they would let on. Even the densest Lord had suspicions that The Headhunters had their greedy hands in plenty of mortal dealings, but they were clever enough to never have any evidence brought against them. What you trusted was that they would do the job you paid them to do. Extra coin spend was extra insurance that it was done right. Good faith, indeed. Money talked, and you were certain that The Headhunters would be careful to heed your words, since you could very well do business without them should they break faith.

"Given that you are paying for... careful handling." the shade says, once again in that tone. "Then the time table will be extended to three months."
"Unacceptable." you say coldly.

"You have to allow us time to procure the goods in the manner you have outlined. Special care does take more time."

"Then I expect the money I am being charged will do wonders to expedite the process." you retort.

"Dungeon Lord, I beseech you. See reason. The Headhunters cannot magically procure what you need exactly how you need it on a moment's notice."

"You have more than a moment's notice. I'll accept a timetable of six weeks." you say. You were certain that this was time enough.

"I-" the man says, but one look at your cold gaze tells him that pressing is fruitless. You were no one's fool. "It shall be done, Dungeon Lord." the shade says, before bowing and excusing himself.

Headhunters. What a bunch of criminals and con-artists.

You take a deep breath. Well at least that had been decided.

>I have earned some rest. I do not want my mind to grow dull with overwork. I will take some time for myself.
>My dungeon is far from complete. I shall rest when appropriate.
>Write in
>>
Well, party people. That's going to be a wrap for tonight! It's getting late.

I cannot promise that I will be able to run tomorrow, but if I do, it will be around the same time. You can check the twitter here for updates:
https://twitter.com/DungeonLordQM

Or as always you can just drop in. I'll be sure to post whether or not I'll be able to run as soon as I know.

Other than that, I hope everyone is having fun! Thank you all for being a part of Dungeon Lord Quest!
>>
>>1765948
>I have earned some rest. I do not want my mind to grow dull with overwork. I will take some time for myself.
>>
>>1765948
I don't really know if a Dungeon Lord needs sleep, but if we don't, perhaps we could take a walk around the landscape, not really looking for anything, just enjoying the bleak desolation. Plus, it'd cut down on the chances of our leisure time being invaded by an overenthusiastic imp.

>>1765953

Been a good quest so far, I look forward to seeing more of it.
>>
>>1765948
>>I have earned some rest. I do not want my mind to grow dull with overwork. I will take some time for myself.
>>
>>1765948
>>I have earned some rest. I do not want my mind to grow dull with overwork. I will take some time for myself.
>>
Quick update: Unfortunately I am not able to run tonight, but check back tomorrow around this time for the continuation!
>>
>>1767696
o7
aye aye capn
>>
>>1765948
I think we should also check out our smith's young daughter, at least we should talk to her. She may have potential for great things or not
>>
>>1769254
This. Weird that there was no word about her
>>
Neat start to a quest. Also agreed with >>1769254
>>
>>1769254
>>1769340
>>1769357

Inb4 the daughter could've been a perfect gem cutter material
>>
pls quest master
>>
File: DungeonHeart.jpg (148KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DungeonHeart.jpg
148KB, 1280x720px
When the Headhunter leaves your Dungeon to relay your terms and payment to whatever masters he answers to, you decide that it was time to take some rest. The first steps to a Dungeon were always the fastest paced. Hells, you weren't even completed with what could be called the beginning of your Dungeon. However, you were confident that you were past your initial steps at least. Sure, there was the issue of a long-term solution for your food, but food was not a problem yet. So long as you watched and made sure that it would not become a problem, likely by ensuring your residents never outpaced your ability to feed them, then it was something that could be addressed later. Addressed when you had more resources. Not to mention the nagging itch in the back of your mind that you should do more to prepare your defenses. You were quite literally minting coins, and nothing solves problems faster than gold. Secure in this knowledge that everything immediate was taken care of, you decide to ensure you did not dull your senses from overwork. Stretching your mind in too many directions could lead to rushed decisions and poor judgement. Neither of these things were friends to fledgeling Dungeon Lords.

>I should spend some of my downtime in company. Solitude breeds distance, and distance breeds detachment.
>My time is my time. I will spend my rest in my own company, for that is all a Dungeon Lord needs.
>Write in
>>
I'm back, a little later than I expected, but life happened. I shall endeavor to try and ensure it does not happen too often!
>>
>>1770926
>Write in
>Spend some coinage in the town, they'll get to know my face and we could be on amicable terms for the future. Heck, perhaps we'd get to know some potential employees.
>>
>>1770821
You have summoned the writefag. You have earned 1 (one) (You). Spend it wisely, anon
>>
>>1770926
>spend time with our ooze and smith
>>
>>1770939
>>1771008
Writing!
>>
>>I should spend some of my downtime in company. Solitude breeds distance, and distance breeds detachment.

Seconding a visit to town, but not a strenuous one. Is there anywhere we could take the blacksmith and his daughter to eat? Not positive it's a great idea, but it'd be a nice gesture. Alternatively, buying supplies for a nice meal and cooking it ourselves could be relaxing depending on our temperament when it comes to cooking.
>>
File: fingerfriendship.jpg (24KB, 400x300px)
fingerfriendship.jpg
24KB, 400x300px
>>1770926
You come to the decision that you do not want to be the solitary type of Dungeon Lord. There is no one who knows the problems a Dungeon faces more intimately than the ones who actually lived in them. Plenty of Dungeon Lords have at best acted foolish, and at worst incited open rebellion, by turning a blind eye to their own denizens and underlings. You recall the tale of one such Dungeon Lord, a Tyrant-Class by the name of Alagon The Soulrazor, who was deposed by his own minions for his mistreatment to everyone in his dungeons. Even monsters do not take kindly to poor treatment. You, however, resolved to learn from the mistakes of Lords like him, and opt to spend your some of your downtime if not with your own underlings, than at least in company.

>I will venture into town first, I can run a few errands and perhaps one of the peasants will prove amusing to me.
>I should visit with my underlings. The imps are hard at work but would likely be more motivated if I were to pay them a visit. If only to say hello. At least for as long as I can stand them without being annoyed.
>The blacksmith and his daughter are new to my dungeon. I should at least make an attempt at being cordial, their loyalty will serve me better if they have a reason to be here other than the money I am paying them.
>I don't know why, but I really want to go look at my ooze again. I know it's mindless, but for some reason I enjoy it's presence.
>Write in
>>
>>1771084
>smith, then ooze
>>
>>1771094
Supporting.
>>
Writing!
>>
>>1771084
The blacksmith and his daughter are new to my dungeon. I should at least make an attempt at being cordial, their loyalty will serve me better if they have a reason to be here other than the money I am paying them.

I know I'm late but I just wanted to vote anyway.
>>
>>1771084
>>1771094
Supporting
>>
File: Blankcoin.jpg (7KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
Blankcoin.jpg
7KB, 251x201px
>>1771084
You decide that you will pay a visit to Bartholomew. Most Dungeon Lords would scoff at the notion of having a human living in the dungeon, and indeed there are some very big Dungeon names that exclusively did not tolerate the presence of mortals. But you were not most Dungeon Lords. You make your way through the admittedly small amount of tunnels in your Dungeon, and soon you can feel the heat coming from the lava forge. You almost expected to hear the sounds of hammering on an anvil, but you suppose that would be silly. Bartholomew is minting coins, not hammering out swords. The only sound you can hear through the halls is a steady beat. The steady, reassuring beat that affirms your unconquerable will. The constant, enduring beat of your Dungeon Heart. It it less of a sound, and more of a feeling. You wonder if mortals could feel their own heartbeat in silences like the one that permeates at least this section of tunnel. If you ventured over to wear your imps were working, you were sure it would drown out the sound. As it was, you did not mind the sound now, resonating deep in your very essence. Bum-bum. Bum-bum. Like a drum, keeping time for everything in your Dungeon.

You walk into the Forge and you can see Bartholomew hard at work. Clan in heavy leathers, he steadily smelts and mints your coinage. You start wondering if you should comission an artist to create a sigil for you. Unmarked coins are untraceable, which can be an advantage. However, the part of you that wishes to see the world shudder when your name is so much as whispered, the driving ambition that is the hallmark of a Dungeon Lord, tells you that your coins should bear your mark. That you do not yet have a mark to leave, you feel... inadequate.

>Talk to Bartholomew as he works
>Offer him to take a break with you
>Look for and engage his daughter in conversation
>Write in
>>
>>1771216
I actually keep an eye on the votes even after I start writing, so don't be afraid to vote even after I say I'm writing!

I've thrown out sections of writing because of votes taking things in a new direction before. The only time it's "too late" would be after I've hit the submit button, haha.
>>
>>1771231
>>Look for and engage his daughter in conversation
>>
>>1771231
>talk to Bart while he works
>have him call his daughter in
>>
>>1771231
>Look for and engage his daughter in conversation

She hasn't met us yet, so we should make sure that happens. Let's do our best to be very pleasant, too. She just left behind what passes for civilization for a dank cave. She has to be at least a little scared.
>>
Writing!
>>
>>1771231
You decide that you were going to introduce yourself to Bartholomew's family. You hadn't yet met her, and you already made the decision that you would not be an aloof Dungeon Lord. Knowing your denizens included knowing the girl Bartholomew brought with him. She was living in your Dungeon after all. You leave the blacksmith to his minting, and look around. The lava forge is large, but it does not take you long to locate his daughter.

One the wall opposite the main forge, a black-haired youth quenches iron tools that had grown too hot to use in barrels of water. She is a skinny specimen, or at least you assumed mortals were not supposed to be that skinny. Her hair was wiry and her skin was pale, common enough traits in this land. Most people did not spend their time outdoors, or if they did, they were covered by thick furs and did not develop the darker complexions found in the warmer climates. All in all, she was fairly unremarkable. You would have never given her a second look were she not a resident of your Dungeon. You approach.

She turns, almost sooner than you had expected. You weren't trying to be stealthy, but given the noises coming from the lava forge as Bartholomew mints his coins, you did not think yourself so heavy of foot. Perhaps she just had good ears. She looks at you with wide eyes, and stares at you with an uncertain look. Perhaps she was debating calling out to her father, or grabbing the nearest glowing iron impliment. Many Dungeon Lords wore intimidating forms to bely their stature. You did not. You were alays one for subtlelty, and as such, the mortal form you wore was unassuming and forgettable. An amalgam of the blandest traits you could dredge up from various mortals you'd seen. You decided to speak up before she could make up her mind.
"Greetings, young one. Your father mentioned he would be bringing his daughter along, and I just wanted to introduce myself."

She looks at you suspiciously, then seems to glance over your shoulder. You look behind you to see Bartholomew looking up from his work, seeming to share some silent conversation with his daughter behind their eyes. He looks back down to his coins and continues working. You look back to the girl and she dusts the ironstone dust off of her hands and does her best at a curtsey. "My name is Breena." she says.
You heasitate to offer your own name, if only because you did not yet have one. Dungeon Lords did not have names, or at least, none they were born with. Dungeon Lords chose their own name, often mulling their decision over for years.

>Introduce yourself under a false name for now.
>Tell her that you don't really have a name. "It's my culture."
>Write in
>>
>>1771475
>"Tell me your personal feelings about living here. Be honest with me."
>>
>>1771475
>they call me the Katerphant
>>
>>1771475
>"I am a man of no name. I will choose my name in time, but as of now I have none."
>>
>>1771555
>>1771561
Did these get edited or something?
I could have sworn they said something different the first time I read them... Maybe I just need new glasses.

Writing!
>>
>>1771575
Nope, at least in my case. What did you think they said?
>>
>>1771475

>>1771564
I like this.
>>
>>1771575
If it was the "it was my culture" vote, that was me.

I deleted it, sorry.
>>
>>1771594
Oh the posts jumped up, I get it.
I'm not going crazy, yay.

>>1771580
Thought your post was the one above you.
>>
File: he-who-must-not-be-named.jpg (59KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
he-who-must-not-be-named.jpg
59KB, 1000x600px
>>1771475
"I am a man of no name." you answer, despite the bitter taste it leaves in your mouth. You weren't a man. Far from it. Still, it did not serve you to elaborate on that fact. Being the spirit entity tied to your Dungeon Heart puppeting around a meat suit was something humanoids generally took exception with. "I will chose my name in time, but as of now, I have none." you explain.

Dungeon Lords were notoriously slow to choose a name. Some even refused to make a decision well past the point when they should have made one. That is how you get Dungeon Lords like "The Nameless One", or "The Unnamed Lord." There was even a few years when being nameless was quite in vogue with the Dungeon Lords, giving rise to plenty of Lords who went under the moniker "He Who Shall Not Be Named." It caused plenty of adventurers confusion and even led to the death of multiple middle-class Dungeons being ransacked because high level adventurers mistook one Dungeon for another. Best to avoid situations like that. You resolved to not be nameless forever, but you would not rush such a decision.

"O-Oh." Breena says, her face a look of perplexity. "So what should I call you?"

Overlord. Underlord. My Lord. Dark Master. Vile One. Boss. The monikers your imps affected on you play through your mind, but you couldn't imagine any of them spoken in that fish-out-of-water tone the girl seems to have perfected. "I am the proprietor of this place, so Proprietor will suffice for now." you answer at length.

"Then it is a pleasure to meet you, Proprietor." Breena says, curtseying again. It was an awkward movement. Stiff, jerky, and entirely hindered by the thick leather apron she wore to guard against sparks and slag. Still, it was an attempt at formality endeavored because she at least recognized your stature. "Is there anything I can assist you with?" she asked.

"Tell me your personal feelings about living here. Be honest with me." you say.

"It's warmer here." Breena says. For a breif moment, you feel wroth. As much effort as you have put into building the place, growing your influence, and indeed almost dying to a lava surge... The most she had to say was that it was warmer.
"Much more comfortable than the hovel. I used to stay by the forge until it cooled just to keep warm. Father worked all the time, and I helped. It was hard work, but hard work chases away the chill. We never had much money, but we never starved. Some days were hungrier than others, but the work kept the forge lit. And the forge kept us warm."
It is at this point, the girl smiles. A smile that almost disarms you.
"Here it is almost too warm sometimes, but I prefer it that way. I am glad father's hard work paid off. That he can work for you now."

>Express sentiment that you are happy to have him work for you as well.
>Their family is poor? This does not add up with the bar of spirit iron he showed you. I should ask her if she knows anything about his "prior arrangement."
>Write in
>>
>>1771632
>Express sentiment that you are happy to have him work for you as well.
>Ask her if she knows of any other skilled individuals that could be offered a second chance at life.
>>
>>1771632
>>Express sentiment that you are happy to have him work for you as well

Spirit bar is probably a heirloom of sorts or maybe the only thing he could take before he fled from where he comes from. He probably was an influential person in the past.

Ask the girl if there is anything she wants. Maybe make accommodations more comfortable?

Perhaps we should hire a proper assistant for our smith.
>>
OP, thanks for not only quick updates but also elaborate ones.
>>
>>1771648
Yeah, really loving how this quest is going!
>>
>>1771639
Supporting
>>
Writing!
>>
>>1771639
>>1771642
Both of these. New tradesmen and better accommodations for the girl are both important things to discuss, I think.
>>
If Breena has a favorable disposition to living in our dungeon, it would be prudent for us to work her in the long term. She could potentially do more than become another blacksmith for us.
>>
File: frostree.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
frostree.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
>>1771632
"I am happy that your father has come into my services. I was in dire need of a blacksmith's services and your father was just the skilled craftsman I needed."

Breena nods, still smiling. You try to discern what was so off-putting about her smile, and then it hits you. Dungeon Lords and their ilk are not known for their smiles. Breena's kind expression is the only smile you have ever seen that did not curl into a sneer or serve to show you fangs. "Father always did do good work. It is high time someone recognized him for it."

"I wonder." you say. "I wonder if you know of any skilled individuals that could be offered a second chance at life?" The wheels in your head turned. Perhaps there was more secrets hidden in the simple fishing village. Finding diamonds in the rough was your forte.

Breena thinks for a moment. "Well there wasn't that many trades in the village. Everyone said The Clangs was the best blacksmith, but I'm sure you would have been told that... There is an apothecary. Run by a woman who they say is a witch. She has always been kind to me. Even given me medicine to help father when he got sick... She was an outcast, like father."

You ponder this. A witch? In Winterwind? You haven't felt any occult magics not your own in the vicinity. This could, of course just be due to distance. Still, it might be worth looking into. "A witch, huh?"
Breena nods. "That's what everyone says, though. And the Whitehook family always gave me extra fish."
You nod in return, uncertain that this merited looking into, but a witch? You certainly had to look into this. "Speaking of extras. I was wondering if your accomodations were to your liking? Is there anything that can be done to make your stay more comfortable?"

Breena thinks long and hard. "My mother taught me to read and write. Unfortunately, there wasn't much in the way of books in Winterwind."
Books, you muse. Well, no Dungeon was complete without a library full of magical tomes and arcane knowledge. "I'll see what I can do." you answer. Libraries were big magnets for wizards and sorcerers, often used to lure in enterprising spell-slingers. Both adventurers and warlocks who could serve you. This was definitely doable. Eventually, at least.

"And you are happy being your father's assistant?" you ask.
"Father and I have been together since I was but a small child. We have traveled far." Breena answers.

>Ask more about the witch
>Ask more about their past
>Bid Breena goodbye for now
>Write in
>>
>>1771771

>>Ask more about the witch

And if she's comfortable with it and won't get her in trouble with her father.

>>Ask more about their past
>>
>>1771771
>Ask more about her past, particularly about the spirit iron
>>
>>Ask more about their past
Honestly, she's probably told us as much as we need to know about the witch right now. We'll get better information asking in town I'd guess. Plus, today is for getting to know her, and I think asking her about the witch puts the focus elsewhere, which might make her feel less appreciated or cared for.
>>
>>1771790
Also, I think wet don't mention the spirit iron. She might not know about it yet, and we don't need a family dispute this early.
>>
Writing!
>>
File: springflowers.jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
springflowers.jpg
12KB, 300x168px
"That doesn't answer the question." you say, pressing the girl further.
Breena heasitates. "It is all I have ever done. Father left mother when I was very small. To be honest, I've never thought about doing anything else."

Her words sound strange to you. As a being of unbridled potential limited only by your drive and ambition, the thought of a rut is alien to you. Still, you knew that this line of thinking was practically the trademark of peasants. Their lot in life was given to them, and anyone exceptional enough to possess the ability to claw their way into something greater likely did not stay a peasant for long. The thought awakened a strange curiosity in you. If she had never thought of a different life, what potential could lie untapped beneath those brown cow eyes? Could she be molded into a great sorceress, or a wondrous artisan? How tight were the reigns of nature upon a soul like hers, and what then, could nurture endeavor to cultivate? Perhaps this was something to visit upon later...

"You say you and your father have travelled far." you state. "How far, I wonder?"

"Father says we are from the Southern Kingdoms." Breena says. You can only assume she meant the four Kingdoms that occupied the more fertile lands below the frozen ranges your Heart was founded in. "I remember warm summers and the flowers blooming in the spring. But only just. I cannot remember much. I was too young then. We came north before I was four seasons old."

The Southern Kingdoms. An idle collection of monarchs that were content growing fat off of their prosperous lands. A suckling pig waiting for an enterprising Lord to topple them. You could only hope that you would ever have the influence to do it. All in good time, all in good time.

>Ask why they settled in Winterwind
>Ask Bartholomew about the Southern Kingdoms
>Write in
>>
>>1771844
>Write in
>Acknowledge Bartholomew's work, grab a few coins and head into Winterwind.
>>
>>1771846
This, but ask where we could find the witch Breena mentioned beforehand.
>>
>>1771857
Good idea.
>>
Writing!
>>
So if we're heading to Winterwind, did we decide not to visit the slime right now?
>>
>>1771870
Completely forgot about it.
>>
>>1771872
I'm fine either way.
>>
>>1771844
The is a long game idea, but I really like the idea of training the daughter in something. Breena's life sounds like it hasn't been that great. She has faced many hardships. If we provide her with a better life, she in turn could be immensely loyal to use.

Then we teach her something. She said she likes to read. She sounds like she wants to learn. We could provide her with knowledge to be an engineer or socress. An very loyal socress or engineer guarding our heart would be very useful. It would take a long time to get her to master level, but it would be worth it.
>>
File: forge.jpg (213KB, 1799x1200px) Image search: [Google]
forge.jpg
213KB, 1799x1200px
>>1771844
You listen to Breena's story, then thank her for speaking with you. "I appreciate your honesty," you say. It was true enough. Imps weren't liars, but their small minds were incapable of seeing you as anything more than infallible. You had no doubt that they would take the highest offense that the humans spoke to you so brazenly. It wasn't as if Bartholomew and Breena were disrespectful, but anything less than open groveling was the highest insult as far as imp etiquette was concerned. Breena nods, giving a slight bow before you bid her return to her work. You quickly ask her to note the location of the Winterwind Apothecary, so that you can investigate this witch at your leisure, and then leave her at the ironstone wash before moving back through the forge to Bartholomew. You have to call out to him over the sound of working metal before he looks up and ceases to work.

"Yes, Proprietor?" he asks, clearly having heard your conversation. However he felt about it, his face was a picture of stoic dispassion.
"I just wanted to commend you for your work." you say. It was true enough. The blacksmith worked hard, and he worked well. It had only been a few days but you already had more coins than you bothered to count.

"Happy you're not regretting your decision." Bartholomew says. "I'm glad you allowed my daughter to stay. She's the best assistant I have." You decide not to voice your curiosity. If ever you indulged in finding out exactly what Breena was capable of, you would likely have to find her father a new assistant.

"My expectations are exceeded." you say. "So long as this is the quality of work I can come to expect from you, then I do believe our partnership is just the beginning of a long, prosperous venture."
"Glad to hear it." Bartholomew says.

"I shall leave you to your work, then." you tell him before excusing yourself. You leave behind the heat of the forge and venture off into the main tunnels of your Dungeon.

(1/2)
>>
>>1771900
And if she doesn't have the aptitude for it, we could just have her be a sort of librarian. Keep the daughter, keep the father.
>>
File: obsidianbubble.jpg (12KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
obsidianbubble.jpg
12KB, 272x185px
(2/2)
The beating of your Dungeon Heart greets you for a moment, and you take comfort in its sound. It quickly fades into the background of working imps as you pass the tunnels, heedless of the traps your underlings had set. You could never set off your own traps unless you chose to do so purposefully. They were part of your dungeon. They were part of you. Your Dungeon would not harm you so long as you took care of it. You make your way to the Lair of the Obsidan Ooze. Once again, you wonder if you should be giving it a name. Surely the thing was small and insignificant right now, but it could grow into a monstrous terror the likes of which would drive mortals to despair at its mere sight. Come to think of it, the monster reminded you a lot of yourself. At least at the moment. Both of you were small right now, but you bubbled with unlimited potential just waiting for a chance to be unleashed.

You venture into the Lair and you see the Obsidian Ooze bubbling in the center of a large depression. The Lair was lined with hardened stone, and bore a circular design that was not the work of your imps. The ooze's ability to melt rock gave it some ability to carve out whatever it felt was comfortable. Now that it was part of your Dungeon, you shared a link with it. This was true of all monsters, especially the mindless ones. The Obsidian Ooze would remain in its lair so long as it was comfortable. More sentient monsters often had to be plied with promises of pleasures and treasures, but there was something refreshing about the Ooze. So long as you kept it fed, and so long as you kept it comfortable, it would serve you until its death. You spend a moment, lost in your own thoughts, watching the shifting surface of the Obsidian Ooze as it hardened into rock and then softened back into ooze at odd intervals.

There existend Awakening rituals to open the minds of creatures that were normally considered mindless. You find yourself wondering what this creature might have to say if it could speak. Perhaps something to visit in the future. You try probing the creature through your link with an effort of will, but the only thing you get from it is a feeling of hunger. All right, you think. It is high time I fed you.

You resolve to head into Winterwind and at least procure a large barrel of fish. You set out once again out of your dungeon and across the snows until you reach the fishing village. The clink of newly minted coins jingle in your pocket as you walk.

>My priority is fish. I should establish a trade deal with the local fishery, or at least inform them that I will be a regular buyer and that I pay well.
>I should investigate this Apothecary. A witch could be quite useful to me.
>Breena asked about books, I should see if there are any in the town I can procure.
>Write in
>>
And that's a wrap for tonight, guys!
Unfortunately I likely won't have time to run until Wednesday. I'll update the twitter if I have time monday or tuesday, but in all honesty it's not likely. As it stands, expect me to be back Wednesday. Until then, take care, and I hope you've enjoyed our journey thus far on Dungeon Lord Quest!
>>
>>1771942
>>My priority is fish. I should establish a trade deal with the local fishery, or at least inform them that I will be a regular buyer and that I pay well.
>>I should investigate this Apothecary. A witch could be quite useful to me.
>>Breena asked about books, I should see if there are any in the town I can procure.

Apothecary first, is we can get her help we can have her help buy intresting books.
>>
>>1771942
>Breena asked about books, I should see if there are any in the town I can procure.
>My priority is fish. I should establish a trade deal with the local fishery, or at least inform them that I will be a regular buyer and that I pay well.

I hope for cute novice witch

Thanks for running!
>>
>>1772009
Supporting
>>
We should check the whitehook family that Breena mentioned.
>>
>>1772063
After we meet the apothecary I hope.

Perhaps we can get a deal by mentioning the family.
>>
>>1772076
Yeah and maybe tell them that we came looking for business with them because of their apparent generosity towards our new employees.
>>
>>1772135
Well, that's the plan..
>>
>>1771942

All of them are good, but this is the priority in order I think.
>>
>>1772550
support
>>1771942
>>
>>1771946
thanks for running
>>
File: 1348353745916.jpg (318KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
1348353745916.jpg
318KB, 720x900px
For anyone else currently watching this thread waiting for the next session, here's a picture of the kind of adventurer we will likely someday face.

I really like this quest so far, incidentally.
>>
Staring today's quest with a new thread!
>>1779763
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.