[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 67

File: oathbringer.jpg (137KB, 1200x764px) Image search: [Google]
oathbringer.jpg
137KB, 1200x764px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9310137
>>9300600
>>9291022
>>9277698
>>9260860
>>9246955
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 250x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 250x455px
/sffg/ pls recommend me books with setting like shin megami tensei main series
>>
File: Mercurys-Bane.jpg (392KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Mercurys-Bane.jpg
392KB, 1280x1920px
Has anyone read the new Nick Webb? Any good?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34497130-mercury-s-bane
>>
How does Robert E. Howard's Kull stories compare to his Conan stories?
>>
>>9329702
Conan is far and away superior but Kull has a couple good ones, "By This Axe, I Rule" is thematically at odds with the rest of the series but is pretty good. Conan just has both more fun and more thematic depth.
>>
Are there any non-shit fantasy books set in Forgotten Realms/Planescape? I remember playing Hordes of the Underdark and loving the whole "literally going to hell and kicking the devil's butt" angle but I am pretty sure that all DnD books are 14 year old level or so.
>>
File: eastwood.gif (905KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
eastwood.gif
905KB, 240x228px
>>9329478
>>
>>9329765
The Forgotten Realms is garbage on every level, just play Planescape Torment again which is the best piece of DnD related writing outside of some really good AP reports and modules from the OSR community.
>>
>>9329783
I dunno I like the Forgotten Realms setting for some reason. Probably because it's really bland. Can't replay Torment, don't have time. Wanted something to read before bed/while commuting.
>>
How do I write a fantasy novel about a rape monster without sounding like I'm ripping off Bakker?
>>
>>9329738
I did get that feeling after reading one of the Kull stories about snakemen. It kinda felt like He-man.
>>
>>9329843
Gather a lot of life experience interacting with bears, sharks and rapists.
>>
I read Gene Wolfe's 1973 Nebula and Locus award winning novella The Death Of Doctor Island, a typical head-scratcher of a story from the author.

A mentally ill teenager, with his brain surgically divided into two halves, is put onto a desert island. The island itself appears to be a living thing, a 'doctor' who speaks to the protag through the wildlife and rustling winds. The teenager explores the island where he meets two other people who are ill in different ways, one of them a murderer.

There is an awful lot of literary allusion, subtexts, Russian doll-like stories-within-stories and generally elusive storytelling going on. It seems to be an fable/examination of mental illness, communication, and (functional) recovery in the context of larger society. This one gets a slippery three out of five dinos.
>>
File: Canopy-full.jpg (173KB, 800x1216px) Image search: [Google]
Canopy-full.jpg
173KB, 800x1216px
>At the highest level of a giant forest, thirteen kingdoms fit seamlessly together to form the great city of Canopy. Thirteen goddesses and gods rule this realm and are continuously reincarnated into human bodies. Canopy’s position in the sun, however, is not without its dark side. The nation’s opulence comes from the labor of slaves, and below its fruitful boughs are two other realms: Understorey and Floor, whose deprived citizens yearn for Canopy’s splendor.

>Unar, a determined but destitute young woman, escapes her parents’ plot to sell her into slavery by being selected to serve in the Garden under the goddess Audblayin, ruler of growth and fertility. As a Gardener, she yearns to become Audblayin’s next Bodyguard while also growing sympathetic towards Canopy's slaves.

So, guys, what do you think of this? even the normies are dropping it because of the baitcover. I like that central idea of the forest kingdom but the idea of "muh cringy and female protagonist" makes me go back
>>
>>9330065
What's wrong with the cover?
>>
>>9330094
Literally nothing, this is just one of the very titles who promises a great book just for the cover and falls dizzily on it's premise. That's what i mean.
>>
>>9330140
Not that anon but I still don't understand what you're saying. Maybe english is not your first language, but it seems like you use "cover" as synopsis or description or something else entirely.
So what's wrong? Do you not like that there's a girl protagonist? Do you indeed like but but dislike something else? Do you literally not like the cover art itself?
>>
I've decided to disallow these threads on /lit/. From now on post them to /co/ or /tg/.
>>
>>9330225
Roflcopter

Enjoy your empty board.
>>
>>9330225
I've decided to disallow your posts in /sffg/. From now on post them to someone who cares.
>>
>>9330218
I think he means that the cover looks great but the book sucks. You are correct that "even the normies are dropping it because of the baitcover" makes no sense in this context.
>>
File: 1486771729502.jpg (240KB, 1171x531px) Image search: [Google]
1486771729502.jpg
240KB, 1171x531px
>>9329843
Study dolphins and other animals that rape. If you can get away with it without triggering them, talk to someone who was raped to see the feels that rape evoke. Talk to actual convicted rapist. Learn about the power the feel over someone, and how that power is more enjoyable than the cunny itself. Pay a whore to fight, resist and struggle when you putting the dick in and you are dicking her. See what feelings it evokes inside your being.

Sum up all that and you have your rape monster. Enjoy.
>>
>>9330052
Give me an idea on how to make a macro that deals with dino measurements, that also has sffg allusions?
>>
>>9330321
>>9330218
He is one of those cunts who literally judge books by their covers. I enjoy them being disappointed constantly. While I read my "edgy" cover and get a great story.
>>
File: 1490218193645.png (197KB, 843x699px) Image search: [Google]
1490218193645.png
197KB, 843x699px
>>9330225
Cry more fagget. We are on topic and actually enjoy ourselves. Maybe you should police those philosophy threads that belongs on /his/, or those thinly veiled /pol/ threads.
>>
I'm going to read the new Mark Lawrence trilogy and you can't stop me /sffg/.
>>
>>9330390
Tell me how it is. Liar queen was shit(dropped the series after book 1). But I enjoyed broken empire series.
>>
>>9330218
My apologies anon, indeed it's not my first language. What i'm trying to articulate it's that i'm using the term "cover" to refer about "art cover". And i used the term "baitcover" by the fact about some authors/publishers give their books great artcovers (like this) in their front but then the only thing that it's worthy of the whole book is just the art used in the frontcover. I liked the synopsis and what it promises about the worldbuilding in a giant forest, but reading another opinions in GR it seems like the cringy and annoying personality of the female protagonist ruins the book. So, i'm asking for opinions on anons who actually readed the book to tell me if this title worths and if it's original in it's premise.
>>
>>9330351
I don't know, how about something with a big pair of scales in the foreground, with Gene Wolfe, Jack Vance and Walter Miller books on one side, and five disembodied dinosaur heads on the other, weighing down, and Gene Wolfe's big old face grinning coyly behind it, perhaps alongside other disembodied heads of the venerable Robert Howard, Fritz Leiber, Vance, Tolkein, et al.
>>
File: IMG_3398.jpg (130KB, 640x1054px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3398.jpg
130KB, 640x1054px
What is your response to this?
>>
>>9330564
modern philosophy and sociology are trash.
>>
>>9330666
>has no idea what modern sociology is
>>
>>9330689
i took a sociology class once and the teacher was a white woman with crusty dreadlocks. that was enough for me.
>>
>>9330721
>took a class once
>thinks that qualifies an opinion

lol. clueless.
>>
is there any book that explains third person limited?
>>
Has anyone read Three Parts Dead? If so any good?
>>
File: IMG_9168.png (146KB, 264x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9168.png
146KB, 264x400px
>>9329395
I read Strom front for the first time 2 weeks ago, I'm onto Summer Knight (book 4) now. Any other Dresden fans here?
>>
>>9330911
What sci-fi or fantasy concept is that?
I guess the Foundation Trilogy should be written in it.
>>
>>9330911
Not a book but this is a good introduction

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2017/02/05/12-6-variations-on-third-person/
>>
>>9330911
Just read a lot of Philip K Dick books. I can't recall him ever writing in first person (though the law of averages, when applied to his large body of writing, means he probably did at some point.) They're nearly all in third person limited.

But the interesting thing is how he depicts a person's thoughts while using third person limited. In effect, he transitions from third person and into long first person passages to depict thoughts and get inside a character's mind - by transitory phrases like 'he said to himself' 'he thought' 'he reflected,' and then going into long Dostoevsky-like monologues, and then back to third person.

example;

Barry got out of bed and walked to the window. He looked out at the rising sun. What should I do today, he thought to himself. Maybe I should go and see Macy. I hope she's ok. I don't know what to do about her (and so on - then back to third person when the train of thought ends)

The idea is its 'limited' to the thoughts and viewpoint of a small number of characters - unlike the omniscient third person of Dune, where we are privy to everybody's inner thoughts and motivations.
>>
>>9329395
>ctrl+f "ilias"
>no results

what the fuck
>>
>>9331133
What about his environment or surroundings?
>>
>>9331229
Typically descriptions are done in the third person, and in limited third person it is usually only the immediate environment - describing what the protagonist can only see/sense - so not describing the villain hiding behind the door.
>>
>>9331282
For example will this constituted as third person limited or omniscient?

>And the sudden cold breeze that made its way through the cracks in the wall did not help with the mattered at hand, as his body shivered in response.
>>
>>9331311
Don't get too hung up on which is which. That sentence is a third person description, anyway - you can use third person to describe sensations and feelings and surroundings just fine.

But be aware that the narrator becomes omniscient when he is describing the thoughts and sensations of every character in great detail, and describing surroundings like an all-knowing and all-seeing god.

The attraction of third person limited is that you can be coy with the reader, and keep things hidden and shrouded in mystery (e.g. the motivations of the antagonist.)
>>
I WANT TO TALK ABOUT DAVID EDDINGS! Is he respected around these here parts?
>>
File: images (37).jpg (21KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
images (37).jpg
21KB, 512x287px
>>9331443
>>
>>9329403
Wasn't that series based on a book?
>>
>>9330052
elusive or allusive?
>>
File: Deal with it.gif (2MB, 257x193px) Image search: [Google]
Deal with it.gif
2MB, 257x193px
>>9330412
>literally judging a book by it's cover
>gets burned time and time again
>continues doing it
>i-it's the publisher and or author for hiring such a good artist
Your arts degree ass either has to deal with it, or take your ass over to >>>/gd/ or >>>/ic/.

I've read it all. I know reading for plot, reading for characters, reading for world building.. now we have
>reading books for their artwork
>>
Any books in addition to WoT where the protagonist gets more and more unhinged as the story goes on?

Also books where the protagonists power isn't gained from birth but through the adversity he goes through?

I just want to read about an ambitious guy that starts from a low standing and rises to power political, magical doesn't matter. I want a protagonist where I can like the guy but he isn't a heroic character nor is he an edge lord, a story where I can't say in the end whether he was the hero or not.

Please give suggestions if my poor grammar reminded you of any good books.
>>
>>9330564
>we have mobile posters in this general
I'm pretty pissed desu. Kys.
>>
started hyperion yesterday. there's been a lot of mentions of different ships and tesla trees and arrestor rods and prometheus' and I have no idea what the fuck they are. I feel like either a skipped some details or they will be explained later. he's good at describing the colors of light these objects emit, but other than that I'm lost.
>>
>>9330961
It looked interesting and I was going to read it until I saw.
>Popular Answered Questions

>Does this book have any graphic sex or language?
>Like 7 Months Ago Add Your Answer

>J.m.s No, it doesn't. It has offscreen relationships between people but nothing intimate or inappropriate for a pretty young person,

NOT GRI APPROVED
might give it a try, but Rothfuss doesn't always inspire confidence in a book when one see that he did a review.
>>
>>9331133
What about when Dick talks about himself in third /first person, like in valis?
>>
>>9331037
Yes. When is peace talks coming?
Glad you liked it. You're over the bumpy patch. It's all smooth sailing from now on . Tell us how you like Lash when you see her
>>
File: 1466364294972.jpg (282KB, 1879x1966px) Image search: [Google]
1466364294972.jpg
282KB, 1879x1966px
>>9331570
Possibly.
>>
File: Suggestion Chart.jpg (699KB, 1000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Suggestion Chart.jpg
699KB, 1000x4000px
>>9331674
So you want anti-hero works then?
>>
>>9331673
>he doesn't compulsively purchase books featuring catgirl covers
>>
>>9331781
How many do you have at this point?
>>
>>9331780
Well you could say that I want to read about a anti-hero but I'd rather say that I want to read about a person who does things primarily for himself. Doesn't mean that he's evil or lacks sympathy to others but that his primary function isn't helping people.
>>
>>9330408
I actually liked Red Queen's War so my recommendation will probably mean nothing to you. Book 2 dragged a bit though.
>>
>>9331674
>Also books where the protagonists power isn't gained from birth but through the adversity he goes through?
Broken Empire is like that. I mean he's born as a prince, but he lives as a bandit for half his childhood and eventually wins power by a combination of treachery, audacity, and lots of murder. At one point he eats the heart of a necromancer to get necromancer powers for a short while, but had to get rid of them later. People shit on the series for its over the top edgy protagonist but the novels are short and it's refreshing to have a protagonist who isn't really redeemable.
>>
File: 34522945.jpg (47KB, 318x438px) Image search: [Google]
34522945.jpg
47KB, 318x438px
Any other B. V. Larson fanboys in here?
>>
File: bakker meme master.png (175KB, 868x324px) Image search: [Google]
bakker meme master.png
175KB, 868x324px
>Bakker does an AMA on Leddit
>admits the Dunyain are meme masters
Really makes you think
>>
>>9331786
I don't actually have that many. I only buy ones that I find locally. Allowing myself to purchase items online on a regular basis is just too dangerous with my addictive behavior. One of these days I'll gather them together and take a picture.
>>
>>9331758
They get better from here? Nice.
>>
So does Elric of Melniboné get better as a character after Stormbringer or does he keep being a cunt forever?
>>
>>9331846
Yeah that's where I got my wish for more. I really liked him eating the necromancers heart and gaining power from it. If anyone can recommend something similar, I'd be interested.
>>
>>9331814
If you like British humor try Cabal the necromancer (book 1)
>>
>>9331926
>always shill BV Larson and Neal Asher
>some anon who I probably shilled undying mercenaries to comes and asks if there are fanboys in here
What you think?
>>
File: 1490396199570.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1490396199570.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
>>9331957
>Dunyain
THE UNHOLY GENOCIDE WHEN????
>>
File: Dinosaurs.jpg (703KB, 2437x1047px) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs.jpg
703KB, 2437x1047px
>>9332078
>Elric of Melniboné
>better
>>
I need something masculine and glorious. What can you guys recommend?
>>
>>9332304
I like dinosaur media. It's interesting to check out what everyone has been ripping off for the last 3 decades.
>>
>>9329783
Planescape Torment is shit.
>>
>>9332265
>some anon who I probably shilled undying mercenaries to comes and asks if there are fanboys in here

No I was shilled Frontlines and Joshua Dalzelle IRL. Found Steel World while lurking on Goodreads.
>>
>>9332329
>It's interesting to check out what everyone has been ripping off for the last 3 decades.
This.
>>
>>9331674
Book of the New Sun
>>
>>9332341
I actually bought Torment a while ago. The writing and story seem fantastic, but the gameplay makes me physically ill. I doubt I'll ever finish that, SWtoR, or DA. "Real time with pause" is cancer.
>>
>>9332343
You read his Mech series (Larson)???
You ever read neal Asher's agent Cormac series?
>>
>>9332355
>SWtoR
Meant to sy KotOR, obviously.
>>
>>9332347
Sometimes the imitation is better than the original. Too many times I read books other books were based on, and found out the person being inspired improved a lot of shit.
>>
>>9332369
Not him, but I'm curious, when did you find this to be the case?
>>
>>9332355
I found the writing to be unimpressive. It's meant to be the peak of video game writing but I was just bored and uninterested after 8 or so hours and stopped. Nier shits on this garbage.
>>
>>9332386
Hmm, might just watch a longplay then, or read the book or script. I doubt I'll ever be able to bring myself to play through it. Oh, and when you said Nier, did you mean the original, or Automata?
>>
>>9332417
Haven't played Automata but the original was very fun and clever. Planescape is forgettable genre-crap with awful click-combat interludes that wouldn't be much of a book but is absolutely awful as a video game. Nier is a pretty novel piece of Dying Earth fiction which actually uses the medium to its advantage.

I hate Planescape so much. There are no words for how much I wish the meme would end.
>>
>>9332356
>You ever read neal Asher's agent Cormac series?
I want to but I'm a little bit confused, am I supposed to be reading Shadow of the Scorpion first?
>>
>>9329920
I think you mean He-Man kinda felt like Kull.
>>
>>9332426
>I hate Planescape so much.
I can tell!

>There are no words for how much I wish the meme would end.
I dunno man, I've read ahead and I feel like Torment has some pretty interesting shit in it. Stuff like how all the incarnations are different, and are responsible for 90% of everything in the game (though I'm a sucker for "everything's connected", probably why I like Great Expectations so much), or just how much of an evil dick the--what was it called?--pragmatic incarnation was.

Actually, on the subjects of Planescape Torment, has anyone here read any of the Numenara books? I hang out on /tg/ mostly and I'd like to see what you guys think of them. The /tg/ consensus seems to be that there's potential, but never builds on any of it to make something interesting. Like, there was an example in one of the books about a lake called Dog Lake or something, but it's explained that nobody knows what a dog even is now, and that's as far as it goes in that direction. And that the "Oh, it's not magic, it's just sufficiently advanced magic!" really wears thin after a while since it's otherwise incredibly generic magic stuff.
>>
>>9332369
>Sometimes the imitation is better than the original.
No one has ever been able to top Robert E. Howard though. That man wrote like he was right there witnessing Conan's exploits while hopped up on speed.
>>
>>9331781
>>9332040
You wouldn't happen to have a list of all the SFF featuring catgirls, would you?
>>
>>9332636
In the Days of the Witch-Queens is apparently good, but I can't find it anywhere for download.
>>
Just finished Book of the New Sun, it was incredible and everyone who doesn't like it is a goddamn plebian. The first one of Wolfe's books I've read.

Planning on picking up Urth of the New Sun just to see what happens on Severian's ~Journey to the Stars~. What else should I read from Wolfe, set in that world or otherwise?
>>
File: 51yNXL+Y+HL.jpg (56KB, 309x500px) Image search: [Google]
51yNXL+Y+HL.jpg
56KB, 309x500px
>>9332636
Norstrilia invented catgirls. It was OK, nothing really great about it. Some interesting ideas though, like the ramifications of immortality and a post-scarcity society, though those aren't the main focus of the book.
>>
File: Godsfire.jpg (556KB, 1249x2091px) Image search: [Google]
Godsfire.jpg
556KB, 1249x2091px
>>9332636
I take over an OP and post stuff occasionally. I'll give you Godsfire, but it hasn't been long enough since the last time for me to flood the general with yiffbait.
>>
>>9332675
>The Female Man
Is this what people used to call dickgirls and futas?
>>
File: The_Breeds_of_Man.jpg (42KB, 314x500px) Image search: [Google]
The_Breeds_of_Man.jpg
42KB, 314x500px
>>9332683
Nah, we called 'em Hermaphrodites.
Herms for short.
>>
>>9332675
>the planet of the apes with cat bitches
Is there some cat fucking in here at least
>>
File: image.jpg (904KB, 1365x1505px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
904KB, 1365x1505px
So I just finished the LotR trilogy after years of picking it up and reluctantly dropping it for school reasons. Of course, I absolutely loved it. Stuck now trying to decide whether to read The Worm Ouroboros or The Broken Sword next. Any suggestions?
>>
>>9332701
>my 16th birthday, officially adult now
>have the hots for a local merchant
>show up at his house, stark naked, and throw myself at him
>tfw he doesn't put it in, just diddles me like a child
>>
>>9332723
/sffg/ what are you doing
>>
>>9332720
Eragon. Yes, I do want to torture you. My knowledge of LotR ripoffs is a bit limited, Eragon's the worst one I can think of.
>>
>>9332737
Yeah fuck Eragon. Was forced to watch that shitty movie in school and not laugh at it. Derivative is the absolute nicest word you could use for that piece of McDonalds happy meal shit.
>>
>>9332701
>>9332728
>enjoying nude sensual massage by furless ape slave
>getting really wound up
>wonder if bestiality is such a bad idea
>tfw throbbing sausage pokes me in the happy zone
>give the presumptuous swine a face full of claws
>>
File: 1450152106643.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450152106643.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
>>9332662
All of the Solar Cycle is good but I'd suggest a break now to look at some of his earlier stuff. 'The Fifth Head of Cerberus' is his first work that really got people's attention and it's my personal favourite even above Book of the New Sun. 'Peace' is also some of his best work. And for something simpler and a bit different 'The Devil In A Forest' is a great coming of age adventure story.

And of course his short fiction is incredible. Some choice stories are 'The Island of Dr Death and Other Stories', 'Forleson', 'Hour of Trust' and 'Bed and Breakfast'.
>>
>>9332749
Honestly, the movie's even worse. I read the first two Eragon books and I enjoyed them (it was a long time ago, I'm older and somewhat wiser now), and even then I hated the movie. Totally forgettable, but one thing that stuck out for me was the elven princess of whatever, they say she's a princess as soon as they introduce her in the movie. In the book she hides this, and it actually becomes a plot point in the next book (IIRC). Even if they thought they could make a series of movies, I still don't understand why they would hamstring themselves like that.

But yeah, if you thought the movie was bad, holy shit, the Elves in the second book are fucking ridiculous. Just take everything about LotR Elves and turn it up to eleven. It makes them the most ungodly annoying and pretentious shits imaginable. What's worse is that Eragon goes through this sort of transformation that all dragon-riders go through, and it's supposed to make him better at everything basically. Guess what. HE BECOMES ELF-LIKE. I really hated Elves around this time. I don't really hate them all now, but whenever I see Elves as being the perfect or best species in a fantasy book, I pretty much flip out.
>>
>>9332766
I read those books when I was younger, by the time the last one came out I was a fair bit older and knew they were shit but just figured I might as well see the ending since it's such easy reading. I don't think I've ever been hit with a stronger sensation of 'that's it?' in my entire life.

And yes, fuck elves. They manage to be awful in every single incarnation no matter who's writing them. In the second book I couldn't understand how these faggots could possibly not rule the world. Even if their reproduction is absurdly slow just one of them of no exceptional skill is apparently on par with the best human fighters alive, not even to get into their busted magic. The entire Eragon world makes barely any sense and isn't explained at all though. I remember at the end a reference is made to some kind of nobility-caste or something among the humans and I had no idea what the hell that was meant to be.
>>
>>9332749
>>9332766
Oh yeah, and Eragon has the hots for the Elven princess, but of course he gets all sad and mopey because she's going to outlive him by a few centuries. And they just go on and on about how tragic and sad this all is, going over how other Human/Elf couples tried to make it work but always failed, blah, blah, blah. I really just wanted either of them to die so I wouldn't have to hear about it anymore.

Oh, I will say that as annoying as the Elves were, the last dragon-rider before Eragon, who also became his mentor, wasn't too bad. Well, he was still an Elf, which made him annoying, but not as bad as most. He was actually kinda cool because he lost an arm a while ago and had the whole scarred, jaded veteran thing going for him.
>>
>>9332766
I remember it being really popular with the bookish kids in my middle school. I never read it myself, at the time I was big into Stephen King. I can't help but feel like it was only published because it was written by a kid. It may be decent, I'm not sure. I'm going for more classic fantasy and faerie. Stuck choosing between the two I mentioned but I might also consider buying King of Elflands Daughter. Anything not derivative since I just read Tolkien and it would be especially obvious to me if it was.
>>
File: 8 Bit Theater - Elves.png (155KB, 720x936px) Image search: [Google]
8 Bit Theater - Elves.png
155KB, 720x936px
>>9332776
>I don't think I've ever been hit with a stronger sensation of 'that's it?' in my entire life.
I'll tell you what did this for me: The Diamond Age. I finished the book and it took me a while to realize that I'd actually reached the end of the story, that it wasn't the first in a series, and that an entire third of the book hadn't been cut out of the back. It has zero meaningful resolution and is just incredibly disappointing.

>Elves
Oh, god yes. The Eragon ones were the absolute worst I've ever seen. But yeah, most Elves tend to be annoying to some extent. Probably the best version I've seen was in Poison Elves, where the Elves were still dicks, except this time the world acknowledged them as being dicks, it didn't go on and on about how noble and perfect they all were. No, they were criminal scum pricks, which honestly made them kinda endearing. I dunno, it's like they were dicks, but in a fun way.

Also on Elves, pic related. Always loved this one.

>>9332785
>I can't help but feel like it was only published because it was written by a kid.
Oh, that's almost certainly the case. They made a fucking movie out of it. I've seen some pretty low-grade crap, but when's the last time you see them get a mov--oh right, I forgot I live in a world with Twilight and 50 Shades. Whelp, time to kill myself.

Unfortunately I don't have any real recommendations for you, sorry. Good luck on book hunting though.
>>
>>9332808
Cheers, anon. It's a good problem to have, having too many potentially great books to choose from.
>>
>>9332818
Oh wait, actually, maybe The Name of the Wind. I haven't read it myself, but someone I know says it's one of the best books he's ever read. I think it fits roughly the same sort of fantasy level you're looking for too. But I could be wrong.
>>
We have visitors
>>
>>9332821
I'd be careful about that one. I've heard nothing but bad things about The Name of the Wind. From what little I've seen of it it looks like overwritten garbage trying to be Tolkien without any of the cultural roots or understanding of mythology that his work was built on.
>>
>>9332835
Oh shit, really? Well, looks like I'll have to tell someone that his taste in books is shit. But in all seriousness, thanks for the warning. And when you say overwritten, do you mean trying to hard, or purple prose? God I hate purple prose.
>>
>>9332857
I haven't had too close a look at the book itself but I read a fair bit of this entertaining dissection. https://ronanwills.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/lets-read-the-name-of-the-wind-an-introduction-of-three-parts/

The prose does appear to be horrifically purple.
>>
>>9332826
Dunno if you're referring to me, but in case you were, just pretend my previous posts were about how Bakker appeals to the weird pervert in me and how I've never gotten over my childish love for dbz and so I read Sanderson while also shitposting about how bad his writing is here. I wouldn't want to discuss anything too out of the ordinary, i hear change can be scary for some kinds of folks.
>>
>>9332857
>>9332835
Oh lord, first page, and I can already tell I'm in for a bumpy ride. I honestly don't think I've ever had such a bad impression of a book from just the first paragraph like this before. "Silence of three parts" you can just feel the incoming purple prose. Whelp, time to strap in.

>>9332861
Thanks for the link. Jesus, I think I am going to have to ask my friend more specifically why he likes this series.
>>
>>9332861
Oh god, thank you so much. This is some of the cringiest writing I've ever read. It's glorious.
>>
>>9332884
Prince of Nothing is more purple. Amusingly.
>>
>>9333147
Is that the next book? God, I hope so.
>>
>>9333177
No it's a different series by a different author.
>>
>>9333178
Ah. OK, so it's more purple, but is the story interesting? Do tbe metaphors work? Because from what I'm reading, TNotW is neither. Unless you can tell me about the silence a flower makes when it cuts itself.
>>
File: Dino Ratings.png (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Dino Ratings.png
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>9330449
Hope you enjoy it. Took me two fucking hours in gimp.
>>
>>9333193
I honestly felt like I was falling asleep during both the Name of the Wind and the Prince of Nothing.
>>
>>9332452
Yes. Follow the reading guide on Wikipedia
>>
>>9333194
I've never really understood this dinosaur meme. Am I supposed to exclusively read Ted Chiang and these 500-installment anime-in-prose epics written by autists who learned everything they know about storytelling from D&D?
>>
I read malazan for the characters, plot and the worldbuilding. No regrets, had tons of hype moments.
>>
File: Kojaktelly.jpg (22KB, 277x350px) Image search: [Google]
Kojaktelly.jpg
22KB, 277x350px
>>9333194
It's better than I imagined.

>>9333384
I was goofing around with the ratings. I unironically enjoy some of Howard, Vance, Miller. I guess the idea of the meme is to not only read sixty year old books.

But then there is the tendency for books which are still known or in print after sixty years, to have something good or redeemable about them.
>>
>>9332369
Sure, but I also find old stuff interesting because the authors themselves are reflected in their work. Like Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft were both such originals that you can never truly copy their thought process and passions that went into their work.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (11KB, 181x278px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
11KB, 181x278px
Why does the UK cover look so garbage compared to the US one? It makes me almost not want to buy it.
>>
>>9333842
Should I buy the paperback? The amount of illustrations makes me think the electronic version I came across online might not be sufficient...
>>
>>9333842
Because that us one is a goddamn Masterpiece Maybe?
>>
A girl lent me a copy of Name of The Wind to read, what can I tell her I think of it without sounding like I think she's a pleb?
>>
>>9334005
Maybe something along the lines of
>I feel like this guy is just doing an okayish job of imitating the the guys who inspired him rather than doing his own thing
Not wrong but also not the brutalizing that Rothfuss and his fans all deserve. And if it's a grill you have to say 'feel.' 'Thoughts' are too oppressive and offensive. Maybe suggest that she look into some Tolkien or Vance and see if she can get a feel for how their way with words is simply better in every way. Not even to mention their storytelling.
>>
>>9334005
Go meta. Say it's a great deconstruction of purple prose and Mary Sue characters, how you appreciated just how unlikable Kvothe is. TVTropes seems to be convinced that it is a deconstruction.
>>
>>9334068
>And if it's a grill you have to say 'feel.' 'Thoughts' are too oppressive and offensive.
Can you post anywhere without getting a bit /pol/ in your comments?
>>
>>9334076
I picked that up before I ever even posted on 4chan, let alone /pol/. It's something that I'm sure can be found in some book on marketing, pop-psychology or salesmanship or some other crap. Arguments presented to women start with 'I feel' while arguments presented to men start with 'I think.' This is just how it's done. If you start looking for it I'm sure you'll see it.
>>
>>9333973
Yeh it's amazing. It makes me almost not want to buy the UK one out of spite
>>
>>9334069
There is a difference between a deconstruction and just not understanding how you are using themes and cliches wrong.
>>
File: The Way of Kings.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
The Way of Kings.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
>>9334154
Michael Whelan is a gift to fantasy art.
>>
>>9333473
Even though I put gene wolfe in their it doesn't mean he is a dino. I still believe his books can still be enjoyed today.(At least botns and fifth-h-o-Cerberus).
>>
>>9333457
Die you read it for the cover?
>>
>>9334160
I know that. But that's one of the excuses people give. They'll claim that a work is a parody or satire of its obvious flaws when it really isn't. Like the book Starship Troopers, AKA, Why Living in a Military Dictartorship is Awesome. The movie was a satire of everything the book said with a straight face.
>>
>>9334005
Did you actually read the book? Because she will ask shit that only someone who read the book would know. Even if you give her a knock-off review.
>>
>>9333194
>bunch of old white men
>2017
>>
>buying Sanderson shit
>>
>>9334211
I will read it, I just don't want to come off as patronising. Also I doubt she'll ask anything, she didn't about the last book she lent me.
>>
>>9334185
>I still believe his books can still be enjoyed today
They can all still be enjoyed today.
>>
File: 1490165553025.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490165553025.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>9334185
Are you saying that there's such thing as a writer that's too old to be enjoyed?
>>
>>9334185
lol millennials are scum.
>>
File: Sanderson Spurdo.jpg (66KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
Sanderson Spurdo.jpg
66KB, 853x543px
>>9334249
>implying he isn't one of the best authors of this generation who puts out books regularly
Gone are the days of waiting 5 years for a book only to have it "push back" by 3 years.
>>
>>9329395
>Selected:
>>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg

Are those some voted on ALL TIME BEST books, or some weekly suggestion?
Because the list doesn't sit well with me.
>>
>>9334251
>the hoops men have to jump through for some cunny
Just use your hand. You don't have to be afraid that you might wrong foot about it and lose your source of ejaculations.
>>
>>9334251
Knowing that she lent you TNotW, I'm curious as to what other books she's lent you. Hmm, is Wheel of Time on there somewhere?
>>
>>9334262
Not the writer. His work. Even King talked about books he wrote for the moment that didn't age well.
Some writers pen novels that can be enjoyed across generations.
Some are so dependant upon pop culture of the time, places/business that don't exist anymore, etc. That people who read them decades later won't enjoy them.
>>
Anyone read the Riyria Revelations? Please tell me what to think I'm not sure I have the right opinion
>>
>>9334288
Aren't you supposed to be napping now grandpa? Let your grandson go to school.
>>
>>9334251
I'm halfway through the audiobook out of pure curiosity myself. The writing is not great, but there are a few enjoyable sidebar sorts of things. Personally I think "magic systems" are always stupid - here, learn about this made-up thing as if it were science, won't that be fun - and would have preferred if he skimmed over it. The plot is the strongest element, like with any popular mediocre fantasy novel, but the pacing is awful. He takes a long - real long - break from moving the story along to talk about wandering around in the woods and being sad. The only character I think is particularly poorly-written is Kvothe, but that is probably because he's the only one you spend any real length of time with. If it really is a "deconstruction" of "his kind" of character, it's really suffering for it. I'm pretty sure so far that it really is just a power fantasy thing. I mean, this line from the audible summary is actually spoken in-character.

>My name is Kvothe. I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I have burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day. I have talked to God's, loved women and written songs that make the minstrels weep. You may have heard of me.

I thought it was going to just be a summary some publisher's monkey wrote, but nope, that's literally what you're going to be dealing with.
>>
>>9334303
We get lists when some autist with gumption knuckles down and makes one so we have something to reee about. Then, through some arcane procedure known only to the arcane Circle of Elders, it might appear in the OP.
>>
File: 36276162.jpg (87KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
36276162.jpg
87KB, 400x400px
>>9334343
>I thought it was going to just be a summary some publisher's monkey wrote, but nope, that's literally what you're going to be dealing with.
Yeah, I can't believe anyone who calls himself a writer would be able to write that down and put it in a published work that isn't the biggest parody/satire on the planet.
>>
File: 1485219783470.png (172KB, 650x605px) Image search: [Google]
1485219783470.png
172KB, 650x605px
>>9334334
If a book was only readable in its time it was never good.
>>
>>9334343
I agree witth everything but your opinion on the magic system. I love a good magic system with limitations and I enjoyed the one in kingkiller. Also Denna is a fucking annoying bitch, and the entire series seems like Kote ego stroking and Chronicler writing it down. That said I do enjoy both books and will read the next.
>>
>>9334388
>That said I do enjoy both books and will read the next.
Why though? You know it's just this Mary Sue masturbating about how awesome he is, why keep reading it? I mean, other than to laugh at how shit it all is, which is what I'm doing right now.
>>
>>9334387
HENCE THE FUCKING DINOSAUR MEME
>>
>>9334440
Is the point of the dinosaur meme to praise old writers? I don't know its origins.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>9334367
>here since first general
>upped a lot of people's charts to imgur and put them in the op
>my chart has never been on the OP
>>
File: Barney Dino Squad.jpg (745KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Barney Dino Squad.jpg
745KB, 1920x1200px
>>9334449
There was an autist who read nothing but old books. He was the personification of an e/lit/ist in sffg(only read old works by dead authors).
He shitted on anything "new", while brute forcing Gray Mouser and Conan.
To tell the truth I forgot some because there have been imitators. But he shitted up the general. A lot of people left because they thought this was /lit/ fantasy style.

I made the memes and he eventually fucked off. We came here to escape the elitism, not to start it all over from scratch.
>>
>>9334477
>We came here to escape the elitism
/sffg/ was a mistake. I was actually the very first poster to bump one of these threads out of curiosity and pity. If I could go back I'd have let it slide. If you aren't reading the best what the hell is the point? It's not like it's less accessible.
>>
>>9334451
Yes, we all know about "you" :3
Shoulda joined the Circle of Elders, eh?
I think the lists were funnier before so we could laugh at people.
>A lot of people left because they thought this was /lit/ fantasy style.
You probably believe this too, but you're far more annoying :3
>>
>>9334484
>If you aren't reading the best what the hell is the point?
>I'm an e/lit/ist and I have no clue what subjectivity is. But I do know that if you aren't reading what I'm reading, you've just wasting your time.
>>
>>9334451
>fantasy with guns
Why am I so in love with this? And why does everyone else seem to hate it?
>>
>>9334388
Sanderson's magic system "rules" are sort of missing the point of magic in fantasy for me. The more time you spend defining your magic system and its limitations, the more it needs to imapct the world to payoff the setup you establish with the explanation. The more a world is defined by some alternative science, the more alien it becomes. That's not to say that I don't like high magic and very fantastical settings, but I prefer my magic and inhuman characters to be more representative of concepts and ideas rather than concrete objects that the otherwise-familiar world needs to be worked around. Like, in Name of the Wind, the Chandrian are pretty good to me based on what I've seen of them. They show up and fuck up people who sing/talk about them. I'm cool with that, and I'm interested to find out their purpose. I do not give two shits what governs the rules of sympathy magic, and why it's hard to lift this or make that hot or whatever.
>>
>>9334593
Personally I hate it mostly because I hate gun nuts, and there's no reason to write guns into fantasy unless yo're a gun nut. I expect to think the author is insufferable. More broadly, I have a problem with having guns as a way to solve problems AND having magic as a way to solve problems. It's just redundancy, really, and most people reading fantasy would be more interested in the magical solutions, so theyd prefer it without the guns. I think that's why a lot of people dislike it.
>>
>>9334625
What about magic guns?
>>
File: 1480819106223.jpg (19KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
1480819106223.jpg
19KB, 250x350px
>>9334590
The democratization of culture was a mistake.
>>
>>9334628
No, because fuck gun nuts, again.
>>
>>9334643
You seem to have a weird fixation on gun nuts. And arguably having swords as way of solving problems is just as much an issue as having guns, yet no one objects to swords in fantasy. Fucking sword nuts
>>
>>9334308
I'm not trying to sleep with her.

>>9334312
She lent me a collection of short stories by Kate Mosse, which had great prose although the majority of the stories were rehashed folk tales.

>>9334343
Ok, thanks.
>>
File: 1490228020088.png (585KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490228020088.png
585KB, 900x720px
>>9334484
>how do you do fellow genre readers
>you aren't reading the best fantasy
>let me give you a list
>Gilgamesh, Iliad, gravity's rainbow, the great Gatsby, Moby dick,
>>
>>9334251
>tfw lent a female coworker Foundation + sequels months ago and she hasn't even started them yet
>>
>>9334625
What about a setting where guns are commonly seen? Like fantasy westerns?
>>
>>9334695
>the great Gatsby
Why would anyone put this under fantasy? It was also dull as fuck. It's the same tragic story everyone and their mother has seen five times already, but with parties and boring characters. I seriously didn't give a shit about anyone in that book, I just wanted it to be over.
>>
File: 9780765377104.jpg (844KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9780765377104.jpg
844KB, 665x1000px
http://www.tor.com/2017/04/04/2017-hugo-award-finalists-announced/

So Death's End made it into the Hugo finalists after all. I rather hope it does win.
>>
>>9334625
>Personally I hate it mostly because I hate gun nuts
lol okay, tumblr.

>More broadly, I have a problem with having guns as a way to solve problems AND having magic as a way to solve problems. It's just redundancy, really
The gun is just the modern equivalent of the sword. Do you not read fantasies that have swords AND magic? Granted; a gun is a much better killing device than the sword, but there's really no difference between a man with a typical automatic handgun and an amazing swordsman who can slay dozens of foes as easily as the man with a handgun can.

But we both know the only reason you're trying to justify your excuse for believing guns in a fantasy setting is bad is because you're an anti-gun pussy who puts his politics before everything.
>>
>>9334593
Ever since Stephen King put the idea into my head I've loved the concept of Arthurian style knights using revolvers like the cowboys used.
>>
File: Hey Pol.jpg (1MB, 3192x2124px) Image search: [Google]
Hey Pol.jpg
1MB, 3192x2124px
>>9334872
Hey brah. Sup?
>>
>>9334896
Not an argument, reddit. Guns, by their very nature, are no different than swords. And you'd be hard-pressed to name a fantasy novel that doesn't have at least one sword in it. Only reason why people with IQs in the triple digits who aren't Hillary-voting faggots would have a problem with guns in a fantasy setting is because guns aren't very fantastical. Just like how cars and TVs aren't fantastical.
>>
File: s320b.jpg (51KB, 942x364px) Image search: [Google]
s320b.jpg
51KB, 942x364px
I like flintlock guns. They'd definitely fit into a fantasy setting more.
>>
>>9334921
You should read the last two books then of Gemmell's Rigante series.
>>
>>9334661
It's more about how cheap of a solution it is to a problem. It's kind of why people didn't like the thing with Stannis killing Renly with Shadow Sneak from Pokemon in ASOIAF. If people need to kill someone with a sword, it's generally more thrilling to get to that point than if they just fucking shot them or cast a killing curse on them. Personally, I don't care too much for swords either, but that's sort of beside the point. And gun hobbyists in general are just people I don't feel any desire to learn from, hence my own personal groaning whenever I hear "fantasy with guns."

>>9334737
I don't think guns are why I don't care for western fantasy.
>>
>>9334872
>>9334914
You left out the part of my quote where I said basically what you said the problem should be - that magic is going to be preferable to the self-selecting fantasy-reading audience simply because it is magical. I didn't even attempt to hide my own bias against guns, and I'm not going to attack yours in favor of them because this isn't the place for that.
>>
>>9335001
>I don't think guns are why I don't care for western fantasy.
"Western fantasy" and "fantasy western" are two different things. I'm talking bout the latter, which is about Westerns, as in Wild West, with a fantasy bent to them.
>>
>>9334625
>>9334872
Not that guy but guns are boring shit especially if you know how they work, there's nothing exciting about some fag with a gun shooting a bunch of people because you literally have to use action movie logic of enemy bullets magically avoiding the hero for them to be alive after enough encounters with enemies who also use guns. Meanwhile melee weapons have at least some historic basis about dudes like Alexander who fought in the front lines or survived a whole bunch of duels to the death like Musashi, and they obviously require more skill to get the better of someone than shooting a fucking gun.

If anything I'd sooner compare guns to "I toss fireball" type magic in fantasy settings than swords, which is usually at least limited to some few in numbers wizards, imagine if everyone tossed around fireballs like everyone can get a gun in a setting where they're common. So I'd only be fine with them if they're limited in number by being forgotten technology or something, if you want mass guns why even read fantasy, that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>9335001
>>9335113
>I can't think of a way to make fantasy guns interesting, therefore nobody can.
>>
File: 13896281.jpg (267KB, 846x718px) Image search: [Google]
13896281.jpg
267KB, 846x718px
>>9334593
For the most part it's because fantasy novels are traditionalist, and gunpowder warfare subverted the traditional order of warfare in Europe. Armies of skilled warriors were replaced by quickly-trained arquibusers or musketmen who could easily shoot a knight off his glorious steed. And then in the 1800s war gradually moved away from infantry formations and cavalry, to guys hiding behind cover and firing rifles at people up to a kilometer away.
>>
>>9329395
I am quite surprised Red Mars is supposed to have the lowest likelihood of satisfaction.
https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg

One of my most enjoyable SF reads of all time.
>>
>>9335172
>Red Mars
As opposed to a Mars that isn't red?
>>
>>9335138
>I can't read
>>
>>9335191
That was their entire argument though. They said fantasy guns can't work. And they said this because they couldn't think of a good way to make them work. If I missed something, please point it out.
>>
>>9335226
They're just suboptimal magic, as far as a storytelling device is concerned. What do you mean make them work?
>>
>>9335259
And up to a point, Wizards are basically just field artillery that's more effective.

And even then a wizard who knows metal magic would be far more valuable than one that knows fireballs, since the metal magic wizard would be able to make sure that your cannons don't explode due to casting imperfections.
>>
>>9332485
Yeah, it was pretty cheesy.
>>
I know that questions about books that are similar to X anime are frowned upon here but is there any book or series like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? Characters that have mostly unique powers and when they fight they don't simply compare their magical dicks aka power level but they can win with weaker power if they are clever - that kind of shit. I've recently read Steelheart, the first book from Reconers series and it kind of fits the description but I'm looking for something that is less "Sanderson".
>>
tfw no two-part r-rated animated tigana adaptation
sage for off-topic
>>
>>9335188
Fucking hell son, that was a pretty clever comment.

It's the first of a trilogy that is actually about terraforming Mars, thereby changing the colour of the planet.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>9335716
Oh wow, I was only going to post this as a joke, then I looked up the series and found out how accurate it is.
>>
>just finished Howl's Moving Castle
Shows you should not judge something solely on it being labeled young adult. Are the two sequels of the same quality? How about other books by the same author.
>>
>>9334866
>alien stripper boned from behind by a T. rex
>>
>>9329783
>some really good AP reports and modules from the OSR community

Link pls anon
>>
>>9335853
The sequels seemed only tangentially related. The Chrestomanci books and Archer's Goon are still good, I reread them somewhat recently as an adult.
>>
Hugo Awards are out

Best Novel (2078 ballots)

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor Books / Titan Books)
A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager US)
Death’s End by Cixin Liu (Tor Books / Head of Zeus)
Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris Books)
The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit Books)
Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer (Tor Books)
>>
>>9336117
Which are good and which are crap?
>>
>>9336166
Death's End
>>
>>9336166
Death's End is the best of what I have read on the list.
Ninefox is alright.
Gate is well written but very much a second in a trilogy.
I'm planing on read Too Like soon anyone read it?
>>
File: FalseSun.jpg (234KB, 1440x792px) Image search: [Google]
FalseSun.jpg
234KB, 1440x792px
>>9331957
He already said that in an older interview.
Also, thanks for the head up regarding the AMA. Hope there'll be a mention of my husbando, SHAEÖNANRA.
>>
>>9336117
I hadn't heard much about them this year. Did that rule change cement the power of the incumbents?
>>
>>9329395
What is pic from?
>>
>>9336254
Enjoy your possessed corpse husbando
>>
File: cat country.jpg (37KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
cat country.jpg
37KB, 310x475px
post non-English fantasy/science fiction that isn't magical realism
>>
>>9331674
The First Law by Joe Abercrombie sounds like just what you're after.
>>
File: StandOnZanzibar(1stEd).jpg (19KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
StandOnZanzibar(1stEd).jpg
19KB, 220x330px
What I'm in for?
>>
>>9336404
Standing.
>>
>>9335864
Was the Hugo award the one that is curated? Or just popular vote?
>>
>>9332636
Breed to Come by Andre Norton
>>
>>9335172
Every book on that chart is, in my opinion, good. However, a lot of people complain about KSR's Mars books being too dry/sterile/boring. I don't agree with this assessment, but I do see where they're coming from.
>>
What qualities would a female protaganist need so you would enjoy a book about her?
>>
>>9332636
Here's a short 1933 story about a catgirl with hypnotic tentacles. It's called Shambleau.

Warning: it's basically just fetish porn. Scifi has come a ways.
http://academic.regis.edu/jseibert/RCC200/ShambleauByC.L.Moore1948.pdf
>>
>>9336578
Perky tits, slender frame, tight pussy, and a firm ass. Asian.
>>
>>9336578
What is bad about female protagonists?
>>
>>9336578
I don't have special standards for female protagonists because I'm not a sperg.
>>
>>9336386
>possessed corpse
Small price for eternal life.
>>
File: 1462598736647.png (802KB, 900x1314px) Image search: [Google]
1462598736647.png
802KB, 900x1314px
>>9336117
I hope that Obelisk Gate wins so Nassun x Schaffa is commemorated forever.

ANIME NEVER
>>
File: images.jpg (197KB, 719x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
197KB, 719x1080px
>>9336117
>The Obelisk Gate
I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL AUGUST FOR BOOK THREE RRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE
>tfw no milf cunny
>>
This is the first thread where I've seen Bakker more than once, but does anyone else agree that his Second Apocalypse saga is the absolute pinnacle of fantasy in the last couple decades?

It obviously has its flaws. Despite all the explanations throughout interviews, in yesterday's AMA, and Bakker's other handful of public appearances, I think he largely failed at conveying his allegedly feminist points, at least to the vast majority of his readers. Nonetheless the depth of the books are astounding.

imo anyway.
>>
>>9336209
>Too Like
I heard it's filled with genderbender liquid shit.
>>
>>9336955
Fucking leaks never.
>>
>>9336352
Stormlight Book 3
You better be hype
>>
>>9336963
>This is the first thread where I've seen Bakker more than once
Then you are new as fuck.
Just wait till the countdown starts and the last book actually comes out.
>>
>>9337007
Yeah I never, ever browse /lit/ because there are frankly better avenues of discussion on all forms of literature elsewhere in the internet.

does /lit/ have a generally positive or negative opinion of Bakker?
>>
>>9337015
The first half of my comment here actually sounds kinda dumb in hindsight, so I'll revise - I usually browse other places because /lit/ gets a lot of troll shit and other dumb 4chan memelording. That isn't to say that quality discussion doesn't happen here.
>>
>>9337042
People like Bakker but I think he's completely overrated and I don't enjoy his books.
>>
>>9337049

I'm an avid fan myself, so I'm interested in knowing what you dislike about the Second Apocalypse series. (I've heard all his other books are kinda shit, so I haven't read them)
>>
>>9337057
It's in the archives somewhere.
>>
File: IMG_0024.png (48KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.png
48KB, 853x543px
>>9336963
Esmenet is the most realistic depiction of women in current fantasy

I'd call that a success
>>
Hey! I need a 800 word story for something (specifically one not online or at least a good idea for one). Can any of you help me with this?
>>
>>9337114
Sure, but it involves bleach, got any of that on you?
>>
>>9336117
Oh boy I can't wait for Jemisin and Palmer to be shilled the fuck out of theses threads for the next couple of weeks again.
>>
>>9337122

What do you have?
>>
>>9337107

All in all, I would say that there's a lot of realistic portrayal about the avenues women are forced to by patriarchal society in their pursuit of power (albeit not 100% realistic). But I think Serwe was a pretty terrible character, and I'm not sure how I feel about Mimara at all but I dislike reading her POV.

>>9337060

I ctrl f'd Bakker through the threads in the OP. I obviously missed a lot of discussion that didn't name him directly, but it led me to an interesting image filename "Bakker exposes himself," overwhelmingly more likely not to be real, but it seems to reference a discussion about him smoking pot.

I actually wanted to ask him in the AMA yesterday if his experience with marihuana inspired qirri in any way, anyone know if this has ever come up at all?
>>
>>9337130
I have a bunch of smut on my furaffinity. Want to turn some of that in for class?
>>
File: 1462128632327.jpg (855KB, 3000x1705px) Image search: [Google]
1462128632327.jpg
855KB, 3000x1705px
>>9334165
To be honest I don't like art like that. It's just seems like it's trying too hard to impress. Orange and blue, sheer cliffs, huge storms, sunsets, multiple lightning strikes at once, flag in one hand, sword in the other, jewel encrusted armor, it just seems like it's throwing out all the stops to get me to look at it, and the effort that went into making it shows more profoundly than any actual feature on the image, and only serves to push me away.

I unironically like Frazetta's work, though. Stuff like pic related would be ideal, but it's a fool's hope.
>>
>>9337137
>I ctrl f'd Bakker through the threads in the OP. I obviously missed a lot of discussion that didn't name him directly, but it led me to an interesting image filename "Bakker exposes himself," overwhelmingly more likely not to be real, but it seems to reference a discussion about him smoking pot.
That can't have actually been Bakker, r-right?
>>
>>9331771
is this SFW anon?
>>
>>9337137
>the patriarchy forced me to be a twelve talent whore!
It's time to stop posting Esme

>>9337181
If you believe it was actually him, I have a bridge to sell you
>>
>>9336578
Well written.
>>
>>9337145

I'm p sure I can't, but do you have any normal sorties/ones with a sfw romance in it?
>>
>>9337238
>I don't know what irony is!
Ok
>>
>>9337248
>female protag
>Well written
So nothing then?
>>
File: 1457041740922.jpg (31KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1457041740922.jpg
31KB, 375x375px
>>9330065
>"muh cringy and female protagonist"
le anti-feminist meme
>>
>>9337238

IMO, Esmenet is pretty clearly inspired by Justinian's empress, Theodora. Not a clean rip but she became a very important figure in Byzantine politics.

I was more referring to the realistic portrayal of how women were often forced into roles requiring manipulation and subterfuge in order to gain political clout. but like I said, I feel like Bakker didn't do a great job here, I just think that if you give him the benefit of the doubt, it's not a stretch to grasp his vision either.

What do you guys think is going to happen in TUC? What is Kellhus' ultimate goal with the whole No-God shebang? Will Akka finally stop being a cuck? Are the Inchoroi originally evolved from sharks or lizards? Did Moenghus really organize it all from the beginning?!?! Is Kelmomas finally dead so I don't have to read his shit ass POV anymore, or is he going to be Ajokli's narindar after all?

Hopefully Bakker doesn't keep the tease up until the end and at least some of these questions are answered.
>>
File: Bakker exposes himself.png (104KB, 1249x417px) Image search: [Google]
Bakker exposes himself.png
104KB, 1249x417px
>>9337137
>>
>>9337226
Open it and judge for yourself?
>>
>>9336578
Just avoid the stronk womyn who needs no man and the emasculating quips tropes. Please.
>>
File: 1464019761974.png (1MB, 628x896px) Image search: [Google]
1464019761974.png
1MB, 628x896px
Did someone say feminism?
>>
>>9336578
Not a bitch, not a slut, not an Action Girl unless enhanced by magic or science or at least believable to the extent of her gender, not a soapbox for the author's beliefs, actually has flaws, isn't written like a male protagonist.
>>
File: 1489891710991.gif (40KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1489891710991.gif
40KB, 450x450px
>>9336578
I could never enjoy a female protagonist as much as a male one. There's just not as much to identify with, unless she's written as a man and just happens to technically be a woman, which is so shallow it makes me throw the book away when I encounter it.

There is one exception which is with extremely esoteric personalities. For some reason it works better with female protagonists than male ones. The kinds of personalities where it's like an ongoing puzzle throughout the book as you try to piece together how she works.
>>
>>9333842
Jesus, I didn't like it Stormlight Archive, to... chartonish, I don't know how to describe.
>>
>>9334299
I don't know what to do with a stack of bad books.
>>
>>9337455
>>9337571
>he doesn't like females written as males
Literally what is the issue with this?
>>
>>9337826
Because it's not remotely believable; even in a fantasy setting. And if you're going to write her as a male then why not make her male to begin with?
>>
File: Really Tempted.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
Really Tempted.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
>some sperg posted shit about women author/protagonist
>no one takes it serious, we just ignore him
>current thread
>somehow r9ks found their way in
>womeme turned up to 100
>>
>>9337850
>Because it's not remotely believable
>>
If you think this thread is derailed, blame the anti-feminists shitting every thread.

Is fiction for fucks sake.
>>
>>9337850
Because pussy and it makes her design more appealing
I really don't see the issue unless you're a self - inserting faggot
>>
>>9337885
>he doesn't experience every book through the eyes of its characters
>he doesn't have meditative conversations with said characters in other settings
>>
Anyone got a simple Malazan reading order infographic? Just finished Gardens of the Moon.
>>
>>9337868
>>9337875
>>9337879
>>9337885
Please leave, tumblr.
>>
>>9337893
>all characters have to be like me
>>
>>9337879
This.
Reading about people summoning wings from tattooed sigils on their back, then leaping off of buildings to fly into the clouds.
>believable

Reading about the female gender on a different planet and dimension using a sword to defeat men.
>doubt
>breaks immersion
>women am I right guys

It's getting annoying. We could have ignored him but he just seems more dispersed today. Can't get rid of him.
>>
>>9337904
Then take you mommy issues elsewhere faggot
>>
>>9337913
>says the man-hating feminist

>>9337908
>straw man
>>
>>9337918
cut if and fuck off
>>
File: It's the current year.jpg (137KB, 800x779px) Image search: [Google]
It's the current year.jpg
137KB, 800x779px
>>9337904
>if you don't agree with the local autist who has been screeching womanmeme every thread you are tumblr
You know who else says you are something else if you don't agree with them? That's right. Tumbfags.
>>
>>9337923
>g-give me back my safe space!
>>
I bet the troll is a repressed homosexual who hates on women
>>
>>9337927
This my original post about female protags: >>9337455

Please tell me how that is a "screeching womanmeme". Note that I didn't say I was against female protags.
>>
>>9337937
>projecting
>>
>>9337937
His fav books are probably the steel remains and the Prince of Nothing series
>>
>>9337905
>inferring the antithesis of my thesis
>>
>>9337942
get out of the closet

>>9337943
kek
>>
>>9337938
Why would you send me to tumbshit if you weren't the woman hating anon?
>>
>>9337943
The irony of this post being the writer of The Steel Remains is a huge SJW feminist cuck.
>>
>>9337961
>you want female protags to actually be females? You just hate women!
>femishit logic
>>
>>9337961
this, the troll is trying hard

go solve your mommy issues and stop posting faggot
>>
>>9337965
Yes. But it's filled with gay shit(literal shit) and are perfect examples of what a woman hating fag would read.
>>
>>9337974
>>9337978
Why are you so triggered exactly?
>>
>>9337908
It's mostly about suspension of disbelief. When a story has a wizard cast a spell, it usually makes some amount of sense in the setting of the story. The book has presumably explained magic to some extent, or else it is left as some sort of mysterious force, unexplainable. But when a woman beats up a man, there's no explanation.

Magic exists. Sure. I can accept that. The book has likely made it clear that our worlds differ in that regard. But they don't usually make a claim that human beings work differently. They're often just regular old humans. Men are stronger than woman in our world, and without being told otherwise, we assume it's the same in this fantasy world. And so, when a woman beats up a man, and there's no reason for me to suspend my disbelief, it comes off as a sloppy attempt of the author, trying to force his opinions down my throat. If it's handled well, I don't care. No one cares. But it's rarely handled well.
>>
File: tmnt fedoras.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
tmnt fedoras.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>meanwhile in /sffg/
>>
>>9337978
>mfw the fag is a satire of a man
this is getting better and better isn't

>>9337979
you suddenly amnesiac? you should stop posting now
>>
File: 1475904275189.jpg (357KB, 604x3612px) Image search: [Google]
1475904275189.jpg
357KB, 604x3612px
>>9337942
You are just playing because your friends arw around. We all know you're a huge fagget.
>>
>>9337990
>>9337992
Are you dweebs going to put forth any actually arguments or just gonna keep whining and shitposting?
>>
>>9337994
hahahahahahahaha

he is nothing but a loser
>>
>>9337995
>acting like you didn't got served
fuck off amnesiac
>>
>>9337994
>>9337997
See: >>9337983
>>
File: Can you believe this faggot.png (267KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
Can you believe this faggot.png
267KB, 420x420px
>>9337983
>>
>>9338003
see >>9337879

you can stop posting now
>>
>>9338015
>>9338016
>femishits continue to shitpost
>still no argument
lol crybabies BTFO.
>>
>>9338020
we are not going to explain why your ideological walled garden is shit because you are a shit stain who is not into actual explainations, you fucking amnesiac

I am not going to explain that because I am particularly against you shitting every thread with the same old shit, not here to lecture a guy with mommy issues

now fuck off
>>
File: Tomoe-Gozen.jpg (1MB, 1453x3040px) Image search: [Google]
Tomoe-Gozen.jpg
1MB, 1453x3040px
>>9337983
>Men are stronger than woman in our world

*blocks your path*
>>
>>9338037
this

there are lots of examples that contradict the shit stain, but the shit stain refuses to leave any other worldview alone and what everybody to write only what he wants
>>
>>9338031
>m-muh safe space!
>f-fight the patriarchy!
Fucking kek
>>
>>9338041
>what
*want

fuck, this guy's idiocy is taking the worst of me
>>
>>9338037
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_human_physiology#Skeleton_and_muscular_system
>>
>>9338041
HAHAHAHAHA she actually believes women are just as strong as men hahahahahaha!
>>
File: 1454450955969.png (519KB, 1023x708px) Image search: [Google]
1454450955969.png
519KB, 1023x708px
>>9338045
>>9338056

yet again you evade the real argument with what only you think
>>
>>9338020
>thinks I'll waste 5mins cobbling together a "proper" response only to have you say "femshit"
Funny thing is I don't like feminist. They talk about equality, but what they want is "equality" with benefits and special privileges for having a vag.

I'm just fed up of your ass shitposting womanmeme every thread. It's getting annoying when my autism compels me to read through every comment and I have encounter your shit ad nauseam.
>>
>>9338063
And what's the "real" argument, sweetie? It's a biological fact that women in general are weaker and slower than men. And in your particular case a whole lot dumber as well.
>>
File: gwlft_2astate041.jpg (879KB, 4618x2981px) Image search: [Google]
gwlft_2astate041.jpg
879KB, 4618x2981px
even in the face of proof this faggot will not stop, mark my words
>>
Remember that thread where OP forgot to put /sffg/ in the subject field and shitposts declined by more than half?
>>
>>9338069
Anecdotal. See >>9338052
>>
>>9338065
As I've pointed out earlier (and which you of course ignored) this >>9337455 was my ONLY post about female protags in sffg up to this point. I'm not this anti-female boogeyman you keep crying about. I've never gone on any tirades against female characters or females in general in sffg. So how about you actually grow a pair and address my original post about female protags and put forth a logical argument for why you think I'm wrong instead of continuing to shit up the thread with your whining.
>>
File: 199204_435451336507877_11.jpg (27KB, 425x332px) Image search: [Google]
199204_435451336507877_11.jpg
27KB, 425x332px
>>9338068
that you are fucking annoying troll

fuck off
>>
>>9338071
I wonder if womenmeme even reads. Or if he just comes to shit post?
>>
>anecdotal
this guy is trolling for sure
>>
>>9338077
You're the only troll here, tumblr.
>>
>tumblr
he is from /pol/, case closed
>>
>>9338075
>>9337455
I don't have a problem with your post. If that your subjective thoughts, so be it.
But you calling people femshit isn't helping matters. And if it wasn't you, stop replying to posts that had nothing to do with this >>9337455 post
>>
Why are feminists so retarded?
>>
File: Pol in SFFG.jpg (1MB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
Pol in SFFG.jpg
1MB, 1300x867px
>>9338087
I agree with this post. They love tumblr there for some reason.
>>
lets just ignore shit stain, maybe he'll be gone?
>>
>>9338087
>>9338104
>g-go back to /pol/!
>m-muh safe space!
>>
Why can't femishits handle female protags being anything other than super bad asses who are perfect in every way and behave exactly like men?
>>
File: The_Survivors.jpg (90KB, 458x767px) Image search: [Google]
The_Survivors.jpg
90KB, 458x767px
Lets talk about books. I love books :3
Found pic related at thrift store for 6 cents. It is the sequel to a book I'd read in the last year but didn't know had a sequel. It made me happy :3
>>
>global rule nº3
>you will not post any of the following outside of /b/: trolls, flames

there is a report button if you feel panic guys ;^)
>>
on a sidenote, is time to make a new thread
>>
>>9337392

Damn, who's this glorious person?
>>
>>9338133
We're only on page 3. Let the autism level off first so it doesn't derail the next one.
>>
>>9338140
agree
>>
>>9338129
>>9338140
Stop shitposting and it will.
>>
What are you guys reading?
Did that powder mage 2.0 guys give a review yet?
>>
File: worst-book-covers-titles-1.jpg (163KB, 605x807px) Image search: [Google]
worst-book-covers-titles-1.jpg
163KB, 605x807px
I see some genre authors do their best with the cover, but others don't

don't know if you notice but most fantasy authors I see are doing best than the rest

pic unrelated
>>
>>9338184
trying to get into Wrath of Khan by Vonda N. McIntyre

of course I saw the movie, but with luck the book has some good parts from the movie and its own
>>
>>9338184
I just finished up the Grace of Kings by Ken Liu, giving it a second chance after only getting about 50 pages into in the fall. It was pretty good, felt like a old Chinese story like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms but in the form of a modern fantasy novel.

Right now on my Kindle I'm reading between classes:

Swords and Scoundrels by Julia Knight. Story about a brother and sister team of musketeers-turned-bandits after steampunks overthrow the nobility and they get kicked out of the musketeers guild. I'm not too far into it but it seems good.

Forging Divinity by Andrew Rowe, high fantasy court intrigue/adventure story, decent enough for something self-published. Would recommend to fans of "magic system" settings where basic physics applies to magic. (ie, there's a character who can store up his sight to make illusions, but if he uses them too much he starts going blind)

Sadly I don't really like fantasy, but there are precious few scifi releases that interest me these days.
>>
>>9338184
Witcher
The Golem and the Jinni
Will probably reread Robin Hobb's Fitz books with AQ coming out in May.
>>
So is the inheritance trilogy worth getting into or it it sjw type stuff?
>>
>>9338299
>. (ie, there's a character who can store up his sight to make illusions, but if he uses them too much he starts going blind)
Literally word for word Sanderson in mistborn.
>>
>>9336578
Not written by a man who just puts his brain in a female's body or a neurotic woman writing herself and using the entire story as a justification for how awful she is.
>>
>>9338184
Powder mage 2.0 is Powder Mage: Colonial edition very similar to the first book of thousand names, if you liked that.
>>
>>9338361
I've never read Mistborn but I gather that the "magic" in it works by basically having the characters chug energy drinks full of powdered metals so they can affect stuff around them in a manner more like telekinesis.

This stuff is more like a traditional D&D style system, so as I've read it if you want a fireball you basically expend energy and heat from your body to tap into the elemental plain of fire. Or if you want to cast a spell to find a hidden thing you end up temporarily loosing some "knowledge" for a while, which I would imagine would be like trying to do higher math while sick and high on cough syrup.
>>
>>9332315
The First Law
>>
>>9337904
>MUH SAFE SPACE
>>
>>9338122
>>9338101
>no one replies to him so he ends up making post after solo post
Sad!
>>
>>9338719
>>9338722
>femishits STILL crybabying
Let it go, princess lol
>>
>>9338737
>lol
Redditshittor detected
>>
>>9338184
Yeah >>9338567 is basically right. It's a very similar plot (civil/political unrest plus some magical god shit), but now set in colonial swampland instead of enlightenment europe. Also there's a character who was clearly written to cash in on that trend of old badasses with loli sidekicks
>>
>>9338741
Go wash that salty vagina, tumblr
>>
>>9338756
>lol
How are you enjoying your first newshit day?
>>
NEW THREAD FAGGOTS
>>9338774
>>9338774
>>9338774
>>
>>9338184
I'm about to read Moorcock's Corum stories.
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.