[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 45

File: siri died - the messages lied.jpg (341KB, 755x1057px) Image search: [Google]
siri died - the messages lied.jpg
341KB, 755x1057px
the end - edition

Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9260860
>>9246955
>>9231981
>>9221588
>>9212630
>>9202214
>>
>science fiction and fantasy general
>fantasy goes before science fiction in the imgur links

triggering my ocd desu
>>
>>9277698
>penis escaping the bottomless vagina.jpg
>>
>>9277803
there was certainly that subtext if you knew how to look
>Rorshach is feminine essence, a labyrinth, destructive without even being self-aware, a large hairy egg
>Theseus, get it? is male essence, a long bendy tube injecting little agents into the egg, attempting to gather its secrets
>driven wild with lust, Theseus drops a bomb and returns home
>>
>>9277825
half of me hates you, the other half grudgingly laughs
>>
>>9277706
tbf we're much better at reccing fantasy
>>
>>9277706
>fantasy is talked about more
>fantasy is more popular
>when general first started fantasy had more submissions (and charts) than scifi
>anons had to beg people to make scifi charts
>why is fantasy before scifi
>>
you guys one of us posted outside our containment thread

>>9276619

we should know our rightful place and show deference to /lit/ for allowing us to post here. this kind of thing might piss them off in the future so in order to keep us from getting exiled to /tg/ or /toy/with the rest of the manchildren scum like ourselves I think we should be more careful in the future.

now lets continue to indulge in childish fantasies.
>>
>>9277944
>how do you do fellow genre fans
>>
>>9277944
Anon says angrily while jacking off with a fleshlight stuffed with pages of Ulysses.
>>
>>9277944
woah, thanks for letting us know. the patricians are our betters and we would do well to appease them I propose in rectitude for our offense we offer up one of ourselves to be permabanned from this website. lest they think we take their kindness for weakness rather than the awesome pity for our wretched selves that it truly is
>>
>>9277992
This. I have burned my 340-book genre fiction library and I suggest you do the same.
>>
TUC
EXCERPT?
>>
Just finished Fall of Hyperion. Fuck. There was definitely some stuff that went over my head, but what a satisfying conclusion to the first book.

Are 3 and 4 worth reading?
>>
File: Who's Behind this post.png (182KB, 843x699px) Image search: [Google]
Who's Behind this post.png
182KB, 843x699px
>>9277944
>trust me guys I'm one of you
I wonder who is behind this post....
>>
>>9278209
put tears coming out from behind the mask
>>
>>9277973
Fuuhhk, did I leave my webcam on again?
>>
File: selected soft SF chart.jpg (680KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
selected soft SF chart.jpg
680KB, 1600x2400px
>>9277924
>scifi charts
Here's your soft SF

Now, months on and after more reading, I would put Ballard's The Drowned World in there instead of Finney's Body Snatchers, and include Miller's A Canticle For Leibowitz.

Can somebody throw a military sci-fi chart together?
>>
>>9277910
More people here read fantasy so you get slightly more varied recommendations, as well as the usual 10 or so authors repeated ad nauseam.
>>
>>9277605
No
>>
Any good Gothic style fantasy that isn't a romance written by a female
>>
>>9277965
Jesus christ. This ran through my mind when I read it... are you monitoring me...
>>
>>9278415
... Gormenghast?
>>
File: Who's Behind this post.png (197KB, 843x699px) Image search: [Google]
Who's Behind this post.png
197KB, 843x699px
>>9278225
Great Idea. Updated
>>
Jack Vance > Gene Wolfe
>>
Seven Forges is a bit shit lads
>>
>>9278743
I told you it was shitty. The premise of living gods using their chosen people to fuck up the non believers was nice. I also liked the augmented limbs slowly turning you into a many mouthed freak. And you being taken advantage by a muscular grey girl who has a tight cunny that squeezes you out. But the author dropped the ball somewhere.

I dropped it at book 4? I can't remember. After they awoke the statues to defend the city it got more shit. Dropped it after that

How far you reached?
>>
I've now grown to hate writing, reading, drawing, cooking and playing video games

am I free to kill myself yet /sffg/?
>>
>>9279004
not until you hate browsing the internet and masturbating
>>
>>9277679
I doubt it, given what Himes's real plan was.
>>
File: fellow genre readers.png (585KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
fellow genre readers.png
585KB, 900x720px
>>9277965
>how do you do fellow genre fans
Took me 3 hours in gimp
>>
>>9278715
I'm most of the way through the third Dying Earth book. Vance is certainly funnier. more than I had anticipated. The two Cugel books are full of chicanery, scams, slow burning ruses, battled wits, made and lost fortunes, with the protag invariably leaving a wake of destruction behind him. There is some Pratchett level wit, dry humor and irony in the two Cugel books.

The first Dying Earth book is grimdark by comparison. But in all of them, Vance can present an impressively imaginative image, monster, or spectacle.
>>
>>9279162
Why did you delete and remake?
>>
File: 1488262997484.jpg (21KB, 149x164px) Image search: [Google]
1488262997484.jpg
21KB, 149x164px
>>9279174
You're a sharp-eyed so-and-so. I had left a half finished sentence/gibberish at the bottom.

Anyway, assuming the last part of Cugel's saga is as good as the rest, I think it would merit a strong 4/5 dinos.
>>
>>9278167
I'm about 150 pages into Endymion. Obviously a very different book, but so far it's fine for what it is.
>>
>>9279004
With those hobbies I gather you've already come to hate tv and movies.

Try walking outside with audiobooks.
>>
Can someone help me remember the name of a book I'm fairly confident is science fiction? The title is kind of nonsense I think. I don't remember the name but it's formatted something like:
All nouns verbing on the something adjective
It's right on the tip of my tongue and I'll remember it as soon as I see it, but I can't think of it for the life of me right now. Part of me wants to say it starts with "All lights burning" but I don't think that's right.
>>
>>9279185
>"dino as metric measurements"anon is also catfag or Cherryhfag anon
You exposed yourself
>>
>>9278459
No, I just know the same stale memes you do.

>>9278462
>fantasy
>>
>>9279191
I've run out of books that interest me. Everything is either cringey, boring or just disgusting to picture
>>
>>9279157 see >>9279201
You like? Notice me Senpai
>>
>>9278964
3/4 way through the first book. Cba going any further.
>>
>>9279245
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I'd suggest putting stereotypical fantasy things on it but I can't think of something everyone will pick up on as being plebbish.
>>
>>9277924
>anons had to beg people to make scifi charts
Except literally the opposite, at least as far as selected charts go.
>>
>>9278262
>I would put Ballard's The Drowned World in there
Very similar to Hothouse though, don't you think?
>>
>>9279301
It's an interesting matter to consider and a comparison could easily form a lengthy essay.

In terms of landscape there's a crossover, but Hothouse's setting is far more primordial, with no remnants of society, and all the predators are plant-based (and the protags are little green people.) Whereas the Drowned World still has vestiges of civilisation, which Ballard loves to contrast surreally with primordial symbols; iguanas in board rooms, submerged submariums, giant crocodiles led by a man in a white suit, etc.

Thematically, I recall Hothouse had a lot in it about imperialism (the morel) and Carl Jung's archetypes characterise some of the setting. Ballard was more single-mindedly writing about psychotic regression - but he clearly has also read Jung (the warm waters are like a womb.) There's also a womb-like vegetation in Hothouse which seduces people subconsciously.

But yes, in broad strokes, they're both about a hotter planet making people act less civilised. In Hothouse the regression is thousands of years along.
>>
>>9279412
>submariums

planetariums
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56KB, 537x540px
>reread His Dark Materials
Why couldn't Lyra have traveled with Will until he closed all the windows except for the one in the world of the dead, and the one between their two worlds?
Why rebuild the Republic of Heaven especially when the fight was against them in the first place?
>>
>>9279488
Then it would have been a happy ending and Pullman's friends would have laughed at him.
>>
What's the best cosmic horror out there? Not so much scary aliens who rip you to pieces, but shit like
>oh hey, it turns out that this FTL drive technology actually works by tunneling you into the dimension on the other side of the Shining Trapezohedron, oops

Are there any good mixtures of "high quality" pulp scifi with cosmic horror elements? Sort of like, it's revealed that this godawful horrific shit simply exists, as a matter of course, as an element of an otherwise bog-standard scifi setting?

I remember reading Warhammer 40k fluff blurbs with obvious Lovecraft inspiration as a kid, and they were always short and gnomic enough that they really got my imagination going. The setting as a whole is left intact, you're just given these little bits of information that imply horrific things are happening all over the place as part of normal business.
>>
File: 81Cb-BHri6L-2.jpg (202KB, 970x1474px) Image search: [Google]
81Cb-BHri6L-2.jpg
202KB, 970x1474px
When is this gonna get an anime adaptation?
>>
File: Bakker exposes himself.png (104KB, 1249x417px) Image search: [Google]
Bakker exposes himself.png
104KB, 1249x417px
>>9278147
We know your mew book is coming out. Stop posting about it.
>>
>>9279525
Hull zero 3
>>
Any of you read the new powder mage books? How is it?
>>
>>9279922
dropped it at le edgy duelist and haven't been back
>>
way of kings free for 2 days

http://www.tor.com/2017/03/20/march-2017-free-download-way-of-kings/
>>
>>9279525
Peter F. Hamilton's "The Naked God" has a bit of this.

There's a alternate dimension that's kind of like an afterlife where a bunch of souls are stuck in a very cold sea that exists in kind of a void, and because of the cold none of them can gather enough energy to escape because it dissipates too fast.

There are also cultists that are doing some magical bullshit to conquer planets and absorb the souls of people in them, if I remember correctly.

I read it quite a long time ago, though, so I don't remember if it was good or not. I enjoyed it, but I was 14 at the time, so no promises.
>>
>>9279543
sequels out lad

it's building up to a war
>>
>>9280009
>doing a piss poor job of shilling a book no one is interested in
Not even surprised
>>
Is the Second Foundation fanfiction worth reading?
>>
Just got to that part in Dust of Dreams where Olar Ethil claims she's Burn and talks about scourging humanity from the earth.What the fuck is going on. 9 books in and everything I know is turned upside down again.
>>
>>9280509
My head was full of fuck at that point too. Didn't really become less full of fuck as the book went on either.
t. TCG reader.
>>
>>9279942
Doesn't make up for stopping the Malazan Reread when other rereads can continue tbH.
>>
What are guys reading? You aren't talking, so it has to be you're reading who are you fooling? You have no life outside reading and posting in /lit/
>>
>>9279543
What a terrible title.
>>
female warriors ruin books
>>
File: Can you believe this faggot.png (267KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
Can you believe this faggot.png
267KB, 420x420px
>>9280995
Why are you trying to force a meme? It's not going to catch on. I will not make a macro for it because it's stupid.
>>
>rereading Asimov
>muh sardines
>muh anti-intellectualism
Jesus this is literally t. the author
>>
>REQUEST sci-fi with no commerce, empire or military?

I want to go to a far future I barely recognise, I'm bored of military and mercantile terminology and mere extrapolated components of our culture, maybe something utopian...but strange and almost alien, though I'm not into aliens or anything too fantastical, I want to read about a really culturally evolved humanity, instead of just technologically evolved.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>9280986
Almost finished Malazan 1. Interesting book, will read the rest. Liked Kruppe and Crokus.
>>
>>9281035
House Of Suns, by A Reynolds?
>>
>>9280995
>Molly Millions

Refuted.
>>
>every cunny akka has had has been stolen by chads
>he even dreams about being cucked
>akka biggest cuck in existence
>>
>>9281035
Have you tried bv larson?
>>
Any good series that involves the main protag growing up into an adult as the story progresses? Or generally series that involves drastic character developments?
>>
>>9281272
Painted man. Though it isn't exactly good.
>>
>>9281198
I'm a kissless virgin and reading bakker has turned me away from women. I never knew it's so easy for someone to talk the panties off a woman. I don't want to be cheated upon. I don't want to be burt. If that means I die a virgin, so be it.
>>
File: sweating intensifies.png (158KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
sweating intensifies.png
158KB, 500x560px
>>9281401
>I don't want to be burt.
Nobody does.
>>
>>9281035
The Golden Age
The Dying Earth stories
Dune
The Book of the New Sun
>>
>>9281272
Speaker for The Dead series, and Ender's Shadow series.
>>
Is there any scifi that functions like generic fantasy where instead of getting new/stronger magical powers the protag just gets more impressive tech?
>>
>>9281272
There's quite a few series like it i.e. Vorkosigan Saga started with the protagonist's parents meeting and in the latest book he's in his 40's

Gemmell's Drenai books too do a similar thing
>>
>>9281401
start lofting and get the testosterone back into your body bruh
>>
>>9281534
Orson Scott Card, Treason.

Actually it's magic powers but it's called tech.
>>
>>9280268
Only if you are that desperate to retcon the ending of Foundation and Earth in a manner that still makes some level of sense.

Ok, time travel is involved, but Asimov previously used it in one of the First Galactic Empire novels so it isn't like it was introduced with no basis.
>>
File: oathbringer_cover-final.jpg (208KB, 640x973px) Image search: [Google]
oathbringer_cover-final.jpg
208KB, 640x973px
Who hype here?
>>
>>9282171
>Dalinar's book
>his edgy fedora niece gets the front cover
suffering
>>
>>9282171
I-is that muh waifu Jaznah?
>>
Dark Forest-anon here, just starting Deaths End. Cixin, or the translator, is really getting better at writing as the trilogy progresses. He can really capture the essence of a global initiative and the UN in a way I've only read before in the autobiography of the ex-head of UNAIDS. He's climbing my ladder of authors.

On a side note, Peter Watts is incredibly good at responding to mail. He just sent me a lovely tit-bit my way after I shared an interesting article with him about octopus evolution. If you finish reading his stuff don't hestitate to e-mail the dude.

That concludes my thoughts.
>>
I kinda fell in love with Greg Egan's works, especially the earlier ones where his imagination seems much stronger than his literary talent. Are there any similar authors and books?
>>
>>9281553
>Orson Scott Card, Treason
Not him but will try. I heard yall shilling this last year. Imma finally give.
>>
>>9282171
>8 months away
might as well be 100 years away right now
>>
>>9281549
>lofting
?????
All my 10 years on 4chins I visited /fit/ twice. And this was back when it was fitness and health. When they had actual doctors lurking there. Don't know your aesthetics memes Sorry.
>>
>>9282255
>doctors on /fit/
That's the real fantasy
>>
>>9282255
>actual doctors lurking
I wish we had a /med/ board so anons could try to top each other with fake malady/med school stories all day.
>>
>>9282171
american covers suck
>>
File: oathbringer_cover-full_art_final.jpg (255KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
oathbringer_cover-full_art_final.jpg
255KB, 1200x801px
>>9282196
Yes. Get fucking hype. Apparently it's from a scene in the book where giants invade a city.
>>
>>9280986
I'm reading Malazan 8, toll the hounds.
Unfortunately I already read spoilers about how Hood dies to dragnipur so I kind of fucked myself in the ass, but it's still a fantastic book.

I can't wait to see Mappo and Icarium's reunion (if there's one, no spoilers please).
>>
>>9282289
They used to be there. They left (?? like I said I haven't been there since 2012) when moot made it a fitness only board and took away the health.
>>
>>9282703
Kevin stop making up random fairy tales and go read them instead.
>>
>>9278715
Fuck off Combiner
>>
Give me some far future 1 billion AD scifi, nerds
>>
>>9282718
Book of the New Sun
Dying Earth
>>
>>9277698
Any scifi that does not anthropomorphise anything?

I hate it when "alien" races have distinct human features
>>
>>9282739
Logically if life is going to emerge in a goldilocks zone the dominant species is likely to end up human.
>>
File: takyuu checkem.gif (287KB, 677x718px) Image search: [Google]
takyuu checkem.gif
287KB, 677x718px
>>9282739
Tons, absolutely tons, almost everything that isn't Star Trek and has aliens.

>>9282757
>anthropicucks still believe in the goldilocks zone
>>
Is Snow Crash good? Thinking about reading it next.
>>
>>9282653
>Unfortunately I already read spoilers
This ruined a lot for me too. I just HAD to google characters, which always spoiled cool stuff.
>>
Any good scifi action not set on spaceships?

Already read Acts of Caine and BV Larson which seem to be the most common recs
>>
>>9282808
Try >>9282794
>>
>>9282806
My brethren.

>see new name, it sounds familiar
>google it to see if I've encountered him before
>"THIS CHARACTER IS DEAD AND KILLED THIS OTHER GUY" is the first result on google

Every time.

The one I'm most pissed off about is when I googled some art of Anomander, specifically using google images to avoid reading spoilers, and google told me a related search was "Anomander as a dragon". I was so fucking angry.

But I guess the plot twists are too many that it's not too bad.
>>
Anything were women are thoroughly repressed and stay thoroughly repressed?
>>
>>9282843
>not to bad
Kindly disagree. Things I spoiled include the ending of TtH. Didn't have nearly the same impact as it would have if I didn't read the spoiler, i.e. Darujhistan convergence wrap-up.
>>
>>9282708
Vince. I'm not the only one that was on 4chan since 2008 you know.
Or is it true that you are a mod/janitor?
>>
>>9282808
The Strain by del toro
>>
>>9282229
>Imagination stronger than literary talent.

John C. Wright, start with The Golden Age.
>>
>>9283044
You know, people hate Wright and Vox Day because of their politics, but you've gotta admit they really are meritocrats who rate people with the literal opposite sensibilities very highly, for instance on his latest reading list he rates a lesbian feminist, a Zionist Jew and a socialist scot higher than any conservative, theocrat or libertarian author he read that year.
>>
Any SFF with Cold War dogfights?
>>
>>9283140
No because he literally threw a hissy fit over good books being better than the shite he liked, crying politics as the reason why.
>>
Is The Witching Hour worth reading?
>>
>>9283193
I read so many sff and there are probably a bunch of historically undertones threaded throughout. But me being a brainlet no-historyfag I probabaly missed it.
>>
>>9283261
Stop that Vince
>>
>>9283272
>Vince
I'm sorry, new to this board so I don't know your memes. I heard it's alright book if you're looking for something to kill time with, and I listen to it at work
>>
>>9282725
>Book of the New Sun
>far future
>>
>>9283248
So are you defending Redshirts, or just playing devils advocate?
>>
>>9282739
Solaris
>>
>>9282739
It gets mentioned here a lot and while I don't really think I appreciated the novel fully, Blindsight does what you describe well
>>
>>9282794
I like it. It's simultaneously a cyberpunk thriller and making fun of cyberpunk. Don't take it too seriously, is my point.
>>
>>9283292
uhhh Severian definitely witnesses the death of our universe and traverses into the next. I don't know how that isn't far future.
>>
File: 1487695050713.jpg (109KB, 444x460px) Image search: [Google]
1487695050713.jpg
109KB, 444x460px
>>9277698
i just got done reading the collapsing empire and i'd like someone to kill me now

it was like asimov but written by a 10 year old
>>
>>9283140
Wright's imagination might outpace his talent, but there's talent there, and he has a very deep knowledge of SF. As for Vox, his public persona is clearly at least partly an act. He'd probably a midlist fantasy author with a day job even if he wasn't a Media Personality.
>>
>>9283876
So its exactly like every other book Scalzi has written? imagine that, it isn't like we warned you.
>>
>>9283884
it was worse, old man's war was at least readable if nothing special

almost every problem the characters faced felt like it could have been solved with minimal thought if it weren't for the fact that all of them were retarded, and the only reason they succeed is because the antagonists were actually dumber than the protags somehow
>>
>>9283882
I've got a theory Vox Day is using Castalia House as a investment front; although I've heard from multiple people he's actually a really fucking good editor that's incredibly easy to work with.
>>
>>9283914
>incredibly easy to work with.
I was an early reviewer for Corroding Empire (you have to stumble upon a post on his blog asking you to send him an email with a certain subject line, he deletes it once he's got enough) and here's one of the emails I've gotten:

>Dear Reviewer,
>Thanks to all of you who sent in corrections, the corrected version 2.0
file is attached. The Amazon listing is now live, and you are now
permitted to post reviews here:
https://www.amazon.com/Corroding-Empire-Johan-Kalsi-ebook/dp/B06XFQ24QC
>Please post your review as soon as you can, preferably today or
tomorrow, but regardless, at your earliest convenience. We hope you
enjoyed the book; in addition to providing a decent SF tale to our
readers, one of our objectives was to publicly demonstrate that the
Castalia team could do a better job of putting out an Asimov-style novel
in a few months than the 30-time Best SF Publisher and an award-winning
author were able to do in two years.
>Thanks for playing your part in this epic action. In space.
>Thanks again,
>Vox

Yeah, it's a persona. I really don't like it but I guess he figures controversy is a good way to build a following fast.
>>
File: beale.jpg (30KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
beale.jpg
30KB, 297x475px
Find a flaw
>>
>>9283977
His writing the books he publishes and his guild of autists?
>>
>>9283977
not possible
>>
These threads are my safe space
>>
>>9284005
If nothing else this is a nice reminder of the shithole that the rest of /lit/ is

Notice how the politics posters never actually fucking talk about specific books
>>
>>9284007
Really makes ya think
>>
>>9284007
>Notice how the politics posters never actually fucking talk about specific books
collapsing/corroding empire you dingus
>>
>>9283876
please elaborate, on what specific way is it bad? I'd really like to know before buying it.
>>
>>9283977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lol5eYB1nBU
intro's about 20sec too long
>>
>>9281545
>Gemmell's Drenai books too do a similar thing
His Rigante series is better when it comes to protags growing into men.
>>
File: 1490234781289.jpg (22KB, 522x420px) Image search: [Google]
1490234781289.jpg
22KB, 522x420px
>>9284017
The prose is bad even for Scalzi and the characters are both one dimensional and all of them feel like they were written by an idiot trying to write someone smart while not understanding how a smart person would operate.

There are three characters, le funny swearing girl, empress to be, and some guy. The first is insufferable and won't stop swearing like a preteen after watching south park for the first time, the second is presented without any character flaws at all, and the last is so bland I can't actually remember anything about him other than he had an important message for empress perfect.

The empress stuff isn't so bad but that's just because she does almost nothing of note in the entire book besides learn that the whole of human civilization is apparently too stupid to live.

The rest was so baffling that it gave me a headache reading it. The prologue itself nearly made me wish I hadn't even bothered pirating it. It went something like.

>mutiny is happening on a ship in transit
>goes on to explain the legal way to mutiny giving us a bunch of info that is basically irrelevant to the rest of the story
>then explains how mutinies really happen as if the reader were a dim child
>captain watches the mutineers cut through the door to the bridge and goes on to think about how she isn't unarmed just armed with a pistol that isn't lethal beyond a meter for some reason
>XO breaks down the door, they talk for a little and suddenly they get farted out of hyperspace
>*record scratch*
>*freeze frame*
>scalzi stops the story to explain hyperspace and goes on to say that he can't explain how hyperspace works "because the english language is terrible at explaining things more complex than how to assemble a birdhouse" (almost a direct quote)
>everyone forgets about the mutiny and gets the ship back into hyperspace despite the fact that the mutiny was basically successful and the captain did nothing to help save the ship, the mutinous XO was the one that saved the ship with the help of the chief engineer who was on his side
>captain kills the XO using a weapon apparently so worthless she has to press the barrel up to his eyeball and pull the trigger to kill him
>she tricks the other armed mutineers on the bridge by hoping they're all drooling morons when she presses her hand on a console and says if she takes her hand off it all the airlocks will open and space everyone
>luckily for her they actually are morons and they hand over their guns only for her to laugh at how they're idiots and shoot them dead

It's just all a bunch of crap. It's like if a twelve year old read Foundation and tried writing his own version.
>>
File: why new-sherlock is SHIT.png (257KB, 915x933px) Image search: [Google]
why new-sherlock is SHIT.png
257KB, 915x933px
>>9284083
Yeah, I read up the sample on Amazon a couple of days ago. Thanks for the heads up, man.

>all of them feel like they were written by an idiot trying to write someone smart while not understanding how a smart person would operate
That reminds me of something. Take it as a gift.

>>scalzi stops the story to explain hyperspace and goes on to say that he can't explain how hyperspace works "because the english language is terrible at explaining things more complex than how to assemble a birdhouse" (almost a direct quote)
>>everyone forgets about the mutiny and gets the ship back into hyperspace despite the fact that the mutiny was basically successful and the captain did nothing to help save the ship, the mutinous XO was the one that saved the ship with the help of the chief engineer who was on his side
>>captain kills the XO using a weapon apparently so worthless she has to press the barrel up to his eyeball and pull the trigger to kill him
>>she tricks the other armed mutineers on the bridge by hoping they're all drooling morons when she presses her hand on a console and says if she takes her hand off it all the airlocks will open and space everyone
>>luckily for her they actually are morons and they hand over their guns only for her to laugh at how they're idiots and shoot them dead
holy fucking hell
>>
File: strong female characters.jpg (50KB, 576x386px) Image search: [Google]
strong female characters.jpg
50KB, 576x386px
>>9284083
Sounds like you're just intimidated by strong women.
>>
File: 1425368295408.jpg (37KB, 191x226px) Image search: [Google]
1425368295408.jpg
37KB, 191x226px
>>9284104
That image is almost exactly what I mean, an idiot tried writing smart people, and the only reason his characters seem even remotely intelligent is because everyone against them is somehow even more of an idiot.

Like later on Some Guy and Swearing Girl are pulling this fast one on some pirates sent to grab Some Guy while they try to run from not!Terminus. Shady Noble smuggled a guy aboard to plant a bomb on their ship while pirates overtake them and Agent gets caught while he does a really obvious job of casing the ship.

So they use the same genetic disguise stuff on Agent that they used on Some Guy to get him on their ship, but they want to make the pirates that want Some Guy think Agent is actually Some Guy because the two kind of look alike because of plot convenience I guess. They put Agent in a coma, do the work, and to get around the earlier mentioned fact that the genetic disguise stuff is fooled by blood tests they decide to... put slow dissolving blockers in Agent's arm blood vessels, pump out all the blood, and refill his arms with Some Guy's blood.

Now any elementary schooler who used to squeeze his wrist to cut off the circulation because it felt weird could tell you why this is a retarded plan, but Scalzi doesn't seem to realize that within minutes half the man's body would be dark purple and the ruse would be a tad obvious.

Apparently the pirates are all retarded though and don't notice so they make a clean getaway.

I'm not making this shit up, it actually happens.
>>
I finished the third Dying Earth book, good picaresque japes all round, but very similar to the second book. I now look forward to reading the fourth after a small interlude.

Now is the curious time when a reader has to think about what he wants to read next.

How does the rest of SFFG decide? Rigid adherence to previously written and carefully considered reading lists, or more quixotically following a momentary whim?
>>
>>9284653
Lots of tabs open in Sumatra, building up tension at various rates, until one of them catches my eye and I read it for a while.
>>
>>9283977
The flaw is his Sea of skulls isn't on #bookz or anywhere else I checked, someone upload it for me, ty.
>>
>>9284716
>It's so shit that no one even wanted to upload it
>>
>>9283726
>uhhh Severian definitely witnesses the death of our universe and traverses into the next
>death of our universe

wrong

he witnesses the death of his own universe

ours is the universe that comes after

how else would we be reading what he wrote?
>>
File: women.jpg (106KB, 1005x980px) Image search: [Google]
women.jpg
106KB, 1005x980px
I have it on good authority that women are writing SF. Pic related.
>>
>>9284784

Good take. Never thought of it that way. But why is the planet so shitty, though, then?
>>
finished Among Others. It was alright. Story was kind of incidental. Took a back seat to the incessant sci fi namedropping. I can see why this book won all those awards- it's pure pandering to the sci fi community. It could function as a recommended reading list for /sffg/. Mori is not very picky in what she reads; she seems to like everything. The only things she trashed (and rightly so) were Shannara, Thomas Covenant, and some Poul Anderson books.
>>
File: 1478399259663.png (173KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
1478399259663.png
173KB, 225x350px
Ender's Game was pretty disappointing, I felt. The plot simply went on and on, the cast size constantly increased, the characters didn't seem clever, the military strategies were very trite and the book falls entirely into the trap of telling the audience everything.

The material they learned in Battle School also seemed completely pointless and had no actual applicability to everything. It almost appeared as if the author had no idea how to actually grasp military strategies, formations and technology or have any idea on how to relate to people and therefore had to translate the majority of the book into a videogame. Their "school" was essentially an isolated echo chamber: I have no idea what this author was trying to do.

My disbelief was really suspended when the book explicitly told the reader that they weren't going to teach the MC how to interstellar travel because it was pointless.

None of the characters felt like actual people other than Peter and Valentine. They only had about three scenes but they had more development than the main character and all the other characters put together.
>>
I'm new here and I just finished Bands of Mourning from the Mistborn series. Only other fantasy I've read is Rothfuss. Someone's lending me Gemmel's "Legend" in a few days, but I got bit hard by the fantasy bug. Where to go next???
>>
>>9284960
>My disbelief was really suspended when the book explicitly told the reader that they weren't going to teach the MC how to interstellar travel because it was pointless.
*My suspension of disbelief was disrupted
>>
>>9284960
ender's shadow is better
>>
>>9284802
Oh!! The exclamation marks!!!
>>
>>9285083
I feel like that's some random 1900s pulp back cover.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>9284964
Anywhere you like.
>>
Any good fantasy involving aliens?
>>
>>9285462
There's absolutely shitloads where "it's actually in the future with aliens" is the twist
>>
>>9284653
It's almost entirely whim. I've got a hazy mental list compiled from chatter here, but usually just grab something from the stack.
>>
>>9285462
Unironically the Grim Company
>>
>>9285787
Is this a spoiler, you bastard?
>>
>>9285794
maybe
>>
>>9285787
Isn't grim company a knock off of Malazan and black company? How did aliens come into this?
>>
>>9285974
Its more a mix of the steel remains and malazan
>>
>>9285974
>Malazan and black company
Haven't read either of those so I wouldn't know.

>How did aliens come into this?
They flew away from their planet and crash landed on whatever planet grim company is set. Then genocided the elves.
>>
Any good fantasy novels with the female protag being a prostitute, or who has been a prostitute (and it still plays a role)
>>
Dûnyain did nothing wrong.

We should make Dûnyain in real life desu. CRISPR is way faster than thousand-thousand halls eugenics.
>>
>>9286183
They at least did one thing right
>>
>>9286299
Yes I too agree that we should create a race of genetically superior sociopaths who care for nothing but serving an abstract goal by any means necessary.

What could go wrong?
>>
>>9286299
The Chinese are on it.

And I'm sure the Jews will find a way to snatch the tech and make Jewnyain with it.
>>
>>9286312

Rule by Dûnyain is actually what humanity needs to survive tho. What, are you still waiting for the triumph of communism or something?
>>
>>9286247
Prince of nothing trilogies.
>>
>>9286320
>rule by dunyain is what humanity needs

t. Dunyain
>>
>>9286183
Crash landing aliens seems to be the new thing in fantasy
>>
>>9284653
I have a list and use a random number generator. Sometimes I skip it if I'm not feeling it and pick another number, sometimes I specifically choose something if I really want to read it next, but usually just go with whatever book the generator picks.
>>
>>9284653
I carefully craft a reading list that covers that tries to avoid reading books with similar themes in a row, but this has become increasingly hard because nearly every new release has a fuckload of ham fisted progressive propaganda in-between long explanations of how their magic system works.

I'm thinking of just rotating between SF/Fantasy/Gothic.
>>
>>9283140
They have shit taste in books. The shit that wins the Hugo is also shit (Scalzi, Leckie, whatever, it's all garbage). Christ, why is everyone so fucking dumb?
>>
>>9287187
Because instead of having rocking adventures in darkest Africa, reading original sources on Beowulf and the Matter of Britain, and handling classified weapons systems in WWII, they're reading fiction by people who've read fiction by people who have.

C.S. Lewis was inspired to write fantasy by George MacDonald, and you can be forgiven for not knowing who that is but he will blow you away. Brandon Sanderson was inspired to write fantasy by Barbara Hambly.
>>
>>9287220
>Barbara Hambly
I searched her naem on Amazon. Seems awful.
>>
Should I read Dune? I ask because so many people have so many opinions and I don't wanna invest myself in half a meter thicc books only to be utterly disappointed at the end and despise reading.
Many people hail it as the messiah of SF but then there's those who hate it with their every ounce of being.

Why?
>>
>>9287012
It's pretty much always been there in contemporary fantasy

For example there's a Trudi Canavan series that did the gods turn out to be aliens shit and it came out a decade ago.
>>
Is Ursula LeGuin worth reading?
>>
>>9282171
Uhhh, REEE?
Eshonai book when?
>>
>>9285990
>the steel remains
So filthy descriptions of shit scented fag buggering?
>>
>>9287299
Filthy descriptions of actual filth and aliens
>>
>>9287262
I don't think reading is for you.
>>
>>9287266
>there's a Trudi Canavan series
You mean Age of Five? I can't even remember much about that book. Sex gives you more power.
>>
>>9287281
Have you read much other New Wave?
>>
>>9287320
Yeah

I remember liking it, not finishing it and one of the characters being described as impressive because he hired a prozzie and then bothered to make sure she orgasmed
>>
File: Nexus_Uprising_cover.jpg (48KB, 306x500px) Image search: [Google]
Nexus_Uprising_cover.jpg
48KB, 306x500px
Bought this, was delivered today. Probably wont start reading it for a week or two.
>>
>>9286312
The dûnyain are basically peter watts' vampires except they're actually honest. Nothing would go wrong.
>>
>>9287281
Definitely, overrated but good, I'd recommend sticking with her earlier work, everything after the 80's isn't up to par.
>>
>>9287316
So there is no scat fetish in this?
>>
>>9287356
I read them all actually. When I finished outer lit told me to read Black Jewels Trilogy.
>>
>>9287490
The second book mentions shit way too many times to be reasonable
>>
john scalzi is a rapist
>>
>>9287220
>Brandon Sanderson was inspired to write fantasy by Barbara Hambly
Literally nothing good under her name. Jesus, get some better inspiration.
>>
>>9287529
Theoretically he read better things getting his creative writing degree, but there is not a mythopoeic bone in his body.
>>
File: 1467819459181.jpg (45KB, 638x499px) Image search: [Google]
1467819459181.jpg
45KB, 638x499px
>>9287220
>mfw bring up Photogen and Nycteris with people I know who like fantasy and they tell me it sounds boring
>>
File: sad watermelon.webm (3MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
sad watermelon.webm
3MB, 1136x640px
>>9287553
Reading that story made me feel like a kid again, like I got to go back to my childhood and take care of something that didn't make sense, because I was reading trashlit from the rest of the fantasy shelf instead.
>>
>>9287548
Creative writing students read fuck all
>>
File: will smith contemplating.webm (2MB, 720x390px) Image search: [Google]
will smith contemplating.webm
2MB, 720x390px
>authors who've read Dunsany write edgy subversions like Swanwick
>authors who write happy sense-of-wonder stuff have only read Star Trek novels and Shannara
>>
>>9282445
Fantasy covers just suck in general
>>
>>9286319
>Jêwnyain
New meme.
>>
>>9287687
Shannara is edgy subversion
>>
>>9287705
That's the worst part.
>>
File: 1464242586032.jpg (599KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1464242586032.jpg
599KB, 1920x1080px
What do you think about Space Operas, /sffg/?
>>
File: The Great Ordeal.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
The Great Ordeal.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
>>9287441
>>9286320
>>9286299
Dunyain Genocide best day of my life.

DO NOT OPEN PIC UNLESS YOU HATE DUNYAINS AND AWAIT THE UNHOLY CONSULT
>>
>>9287774
What book did that happen?
>>
>>9287769

Name a good space opera
>>
File: Malazan spoilers.png (11KB, 628x128px) Image search: [Google]
Malazan spoilers.png
11KB, 628x128px
>this whole fucking chapter

I have a boner.
>>
>>9287769
Want one where aliens are about to wipe out humanity but then they find the wreck of the Prince of Wales and turn it into a spaceship then fly across the galaxy looking for a different alien race to help them.
>>
>>9287822
Is Hyperion a soace opera?
>>
>>9287831
Yes

>>9287822
Hyperion Cantos
Ilium/Olympos
Hopefully the third mistborn trilogy once it comes around
>>
>>9287769
SO is the absolute fucking best
>>
File: deathstalker-cover.jpg (37KB, 420x704px) Image search: [Google]
deathstalker-cover.jpg
37KB, 420x704px
>>9287822
>>
>>9287822
Orlando Furioso.
>>
>>9287822
>Name a good space opera
Have you read Space Opera?
>>
>>9287842
Author of that lives like 15 minutes from my house
>>
>>9287801
The Great Ordeal
>>
File: hmm.jpg (324KB, 1440x715px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
324KB, 1440x715px
Hmm.

First and foremost I think to emphasise just how much better Dark Forest and Death's End are than Three Body. The translation, characters and especially ideas just get grander and grander.

This series reminded me of everything. There's multiple plot points involving the U.N. & global communit in Three Body and earlier Dark Forest, and while that's not a genre I've really delved in with scifi before, it was very well done. Although obviously written by a China-man, there's something for most nationalities there.

Deaths End is where it got weird. Dark Forest starts to get in pseudo-Space Opera but then Death's End almost becomes full blown Hyperion. It was like someone combined Hyperion, Tau Zero and Reynold's and even that doesn't start to cover it. In parts it's very Anime The bit in Australia where Sophon had the katana, jeez. Death's End is MASSIVE as well jesus christ the book is humongous, each part with an equally different but enjoyable setting/time period.

Here's where the books really excel. A key plot point is the ability to hibernate (spoilers just in case), and the author uses this to magnificent ability. He takes a fairly small cast and exposes them to all the trials and tribulations of the world he paints, with each new era and location as interesting and independent as the last. Thus, the characters stories remain as entwined in the overarching plot marvellously, and keeps you incredibly interested throughout the entire series.

I've not really got much more to say, at least now. Might go to sleep and process it some more. Halfway through Deaths End, I think I almost had a fucking panic attack. I actually feel quite panicked having just remembered it. I need to watch some TV or something.

Very good modern sci-fi. hope to see more great scifi coming out of China of this magnitude.
>>
>>9287918
It was actually nuked? Isn't Prince of nothing fantasy and magic? What they doing with nukes?
>>
>>9287946
I'm autistic and can't really write to save my life hence why this reads awfully but hopefully at least one person will decide to read them because of me
>>
>>9287842
>TOUCHING GREEN
FUCK SIMON R GREEN
>>
File: 1459344703674.jpg (26KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1459344703674.jpg
26KB, 400x462px
>>9287963
>>
>>9287959
I appreciate it anon. More people need to actually write about the stuff they read here.
Though you have to decide whether you want to shill or discuss. If it's the former it's best to exclude spoilers and write more abstractly about what the book does well.
>>
>>9287959
I was planning to never read them. Your post just enforced my choice.
>>
>>9287970
>m-muh shotgun suzzie
>muh 8th dimensional beings giving us the power so we can pretend we are James Bond working for the men in black
FUCK you and FUCK Green.
>>
>>9287982
i don't see what's wrong with any of that anon
>>
>>9287973
<3

>>9287976
Yeah sorry, now I've had a shower I've calmed down a bit. They are very good books though.
>>
I guess I'll read Cixin Liu, although I don't really have high expectations
>>
>>9287987
>Repeat Ad Nauseum
It was the same plot every book. I read 15 Darkside and 3 secret druids. Shit was just filler for a pay cheque.
>>
>>9287946
10/10 post, anon. Glad you enjoyed it.
I found it interesting how the story, for the most part, seemed to constantly be telling you that psychopaths like Zhang Beihai and Thomas Wade were the best way forward, but in the final act almost reversed tack completely and showed how a widespread "victory at any cost" attitude is quite literally destroying the universe, and at the end of everything the only hope the universe has left is if enough people choose to be self-sacrificing and idealistic at once.
It would be interesting to speculate whether such a story is more likely to have been written by a Chinese writer (particularly one who grew up in the aftermath of the Great Chinese Famine and the early years of the Cultural Revolution) than an American one.
>>
>>9287409
Read any similar books?
>>
>>9287956
Tekne is "the old science", ancient aliens can do all sorts of craziness
>>
>>9287826
That whole thing confused the shit out of me, but it was pretty awesome.

You should've spoilered the pic tho.
>>
>>9287946
>and especially ideas just get grander and grander.
I knew I was in for something interesting when a book purportedly about living with ayylium civilization decided to kick off by discussing the Fall of Constantinople.
>>
>>9287991
Out of curiosity could I inquire which part gave you a panic attack? I can only guess it was the bit where Trisolaris launched an attack the moment control of the deterrent was passed on .
>>
>>9288050
>Tekne is "the old science"
>Names something the shorthand form of Technique
Bakker is a hack
>>
>GRR Martin has a 23 book long grimdark superhero series
>I've literally never heard of it until today
You'd think at least one of his fans would've brought it up
>>
>>9288138
It's because they're all anthologies and literally nobody reads anthologies
>>
File: fuck you grrm.jpg (453KB, 1488x921px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you grrm.jpg
453KB, 1488x921px
>>9288138
that's because they wouldn't be able to sell more than 4 copies without pasting EDITED BY GORGE RR MORETONS on the cover in text three times the size of the author's name
>>
File: lindaaa.png (482KB, 768x884px) Image search: [Google]
lindaaa.png
482KB, 768x884px
>>9288138
>GRRM will die before he finishes his series and the person that wrote this will most likely be given the series once that happens
>>
>>9288022
The Dark Forest is a really disturbing parallel of the mistrust that runs through every level of chinese civil society.
>>
>>9288022
I did find it heartening how Xin's pacifism turned out to be the final logical solution, almost underpinning the entire Dark Forest theory.

While the novel is obvious from China, I only really find that implied by the huge amount of core characters and locations which are related to China. As for politics, while I do remember Cixin talking about how future perfect Earth was a democratic paradise, it collapsed in on itself. Hell, he downright states totalitarianism is the only ideology which can work in space. That's enough to spark a lively debate.
Also, while Xin and AA lived together for large section in the middle of the book, there were no lesbian undertones although I think that's what my westernised mind kind of automatically assumed. I've got some lesbian friends though so maybe that's just me.

>>9288073
The fairy stories were lovely too. I think they could pass for genuine, if strange, fairy tales.

>>9288103
It was when Trisolaris was destroyed, and there were these immense passages describing the effect of solar explosion on the terrestrial planets.Something about how matter of fact and unstoppable the desolation of Earth were really reverberated with me. I still feel a little spooked now honestly
>>
>>9279162
the conclusion to cugel's saga is satisfying as fuck
>>
>>9288161
He said no one is finishing it(other than the tv producers) when he dies. He probably wrote it i to his will.
>>
>>9288313
if his wife is enough of a greedy jew she'll probably sell the IP off
>>
>>9288181
>>9288192
Perhaps the view of the universe as a zero sum game with limited resources can be compared directly to the conditions in China under Mao.

Since the Revolution and made worse by retarded shit like the Great Leap Forward, China suffered immense proverty due to rationing, lack of innovation, and lack of a competitive market. There were numerous droughts and famine, an estimated 30 million or more died in the famine created by the Great Leap Forward. People were eating bark from trees, grass, dirt, sawdust just to fill their stomach. Things only changed after Mao died and Deng Xiaoping became the new leader, and he implemented the economic reforms that got China back on track.

So when you grow up in such a impoverished environment this tends to encourage you to be selfish because only then can you outcompete everyone else for resources. And it wasn't just one generation growing up under these conditions, it was 2, 3 generations living under it. This caused all principles to be abandoned.

I think the idea that "only totalitarianism can work in space" is that democracy and letting everyone have a say is fine when you are prosperous and resources are aplenty, but when there is an existential threat to existence and limits to resources people start to be selfish and eat each other (insert the crabs in a bucket metaphor here), so totalitarianism is needed to force a course of action that puts the collective above the individuals. Of course, a lot hinges on who your dictator is, whether you get a retarded idealogue like Mao or a pragmatic and effective leader like Deng.
>>
>>9282717
Wasn't me that time Ivan
>>
>>9287281
Yes
>>
>>9287187
I am with you
>>
>>9288346
>Of course, a lot hinges on who your dictator is, whether you get a retarded idealogue like Mao or a pragmatic and effective leader like Deng.

Also whether there are nearby democratic societies that you can provide slave labor to in exchange for currency and technology.
>>
File: 1480269267121.png (44KB, 563x646px) Image search: [Google]
1480269267121.png
44KB, 563x646px
Good god Gregory Benford's writing is awful.
>>
>>9288394
Brin's the only Killer B worth bothering with.
>>
What are some story elements you'd like to see more of, /sffg/? For me:

>novel takes place over a long period of a character's life
>action, gory or not, that's well-described, well-researched; more wrestling in CQC
>inner focus, less need to describe what a camera can see, less slavish devotion to Show Don't Tell
>settings with modern or near-future technology but nonexistent countries; Ace Combat but with less IRL baggage
>mythic elements; prophetic dreams, recognized omens, talismans, especially when they're not the story's focus
>>
>>9288412
future politics
>>
>>9288346
I agree with what you've said.

I think considering the number of changes the people of Earth face in the novel, perhaps Cixin's main message isn't about the absolute effectiveness of certain ideologies, but instead to be flexible. He critiques the western-style democracies as being weak in the novel, but then describes how living in totalitarian conditions is almost inhuman.
>>
>>9288418
>multiple factions interacting, all with conceptually different motivations
>colorful personalities in each faction, with their own motivations that aren't exactly what their faction wants
>all of this shifting dynamically, alliances being made and broken formally and informally
yes please
>>
>>9288412
>Necromancer actually uses Animate undead
>Crossbows
>Character doesn't max out dex and instead opts for strength
>>
I read the middling Conan story by Robert Howard, The Vale Of Lost Women. It's a straightforward story of a semi-naked damsel in distress among her dark-skinned warrior captors.

Most notably and more unusually in these stories, the narration is written in a close third person from the heroine's viewpoint, by which Howard depicts her sensations of fear and helplessness. There is also a lot of racially charged writing which would be non-publishable today. Other than these aspects it's passable schlocky fare of interest to enthusiasts, for whom it passes muster.
>>
>>9288420
And a totalitarian society is doomed to stagnation, since it was suggested that it was the influx of culture from the liberal society of Earth that created the catalyst for technological explosion on Trisolaris and discovery of lightspeed travel.
>>
File: 1371353567767.jpg (13KB, 165x165px) Image search: [Google]
1371353567767.jpg
13KB, 165x165px
You have a gun, but only one bullet.

In the room you've got:
>Brandon Sanderson
>Patrick Rothfuss
>GRUM

Whoever you kill, it will be like he didn't exist.

Choose wisely, for the good of the world.
>>
>>9288729
rothfuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6E4JO0YmZw
>>
>>9288729
Swanwick.
>>
>>9288729
Only one of those authors is actually bad
>>
>>9287262

Yes, just read it. The only people I've encountered that couldn't read Dune are just normalfags that couldn't get past the thicker prose Herbert employs, i.e. they were just morons who didn't want to have to concentrate much while reading.
>>
Red pill me on Brandon Sanderson /sffg/
>>
>>9288729
scalzi
>>
>>9287774
what the fuck is this shit?
delet
>>
File: images.jpg (22KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
22KB, 332x443px
What are some dark fantasies with lots of rape/sexual-slavery in it? Preferably if it's the protagonist who's doing the raping/slaving and is unapologetic about it. Gor comes to mind.
>inb4 a song of fire and ice
>>
>>9289083
Fuck you Bakker. Shill your shitty books yourself. No one is falling for your baits
>>
>>9288868
He's MORMONing our youth
>>
Any good sites or blogs that review fantasy novels with a more intelligent bent than shit like "LOTS OF BLOOD AND SEX! IT'S RAD!" or "LOTS OF WHITE PEOPLE! IT'S TERRIBLE!"?
>>
>>9289166
I like Doing in the Wizard, but it's mostly good for catharsis in bashing critically acclaimed bad fantasy (Rothfuss, Sanderson, etc.).

https://ronanwills.wordpress.com
>>
>>9289083
Black Jewels Trilogy
WHEN WILL ONE OF YOU FAGS READ?? I'VE BEEN RECCING THIS FOR TWO YEARS AND NOBODY BITES???
>>
>>9289166
>LOTS OF BLOOD AND SEX! IT'S RAD
Can't imagine what kind of blog would go for this angle except one written by a 12 year old. Most of them tend to either be about social justice or some pseud nitpicking prose like a tool.
>>
>>9287826
Toll the Hounds got fucking great toward the end.
>>
>>9289180
>https://ronanwills.wordpress.com
>crying about Trump
lol what a cuck.
>>
>>9289213
I've read plenty of fantasy reviews where the violence/action is praised as a main (or THE) selling point. Not that I have any problem with violence or action. I enjoy it plenty when it's good, but I'm kinda at the point now where I'd rather read fantasy that focuses more on the plot and characters rather than bad ass action scenes and gruesome violence. Or graphic sex for that matter.
>>
My boner for Norse & Celtic mythology is raging pretty hard right now - any suggestions for fantasy series based on these mythologies/settings in any way (and plz not Neil Gaimans new book).

Thanks /lit/

(ps. I'd take anything Arthurian as a compensation prize)
>>
>>9289358
Gemmell's Rigante series is basically his fantasy take on Celts. Also has a fantasy version of Romans and Saxons. The first two novels anyways.

>(ps. I'd take anything Arthurian as a compensation prize)
Once again gotta recommend Gemmell here with Ghost King and Last Sword of Power in that order.
>>
We were talking about blogs a short while ago. I browse the Castalia House blog, which is full of excitable men who really, really dislike John Campbell, and most things written after 1979; and also the appealingly disorganized Porpor Books Blog, which has a lot of old SFF reviews, comics, and artwork to rummage through. I'm not a writer for either of them.
>>
>>9289438
>I browse the Castalia House blog
Really digging this site.
>>
>>9287946
>In part i's very anime

Kek, that's hard to imagine having only read the first book.
I presume you're not talking about Sanderson type anime, but I guess I'll have to keep reading to find out
>>
>>9288054
It's small enough that anyone can read the filename before opening it.
>>
File: starchart_threnody_color.jpg (470KB, 1588x2500px) Image search: [Google]
starchart_threnody_color.jpg
470KB, 1588x2500px
>>9288729
You don't state that we HAVE to kill one of them with the bullet. I pistol whip Rothfuss to death then mcfucking kill myself
>>
>>9288729
Couldn't I kill Scalzi instead?

Rothfuss isn't a threat any more, I don't think he has done any long-term damage to the genre, even if he's a horrible person.

Sanderson is probably the opposite, nice person but his success is really showing, a lot of authors are trying to replicate his shit.
>>
>>9289438
>These were the editors of which as early as 1968 jokes were made that they thought the genre was invented by Harlan Ellison, a criticism that would continue to be made in 1981
>to most contemporary science fiction editors “modern” science fiction began with Harlan Ellison, and they have only the most superficial acquaintance with the work of the forties, fifties, and even nineteen-sixties
>Ellison was born to a Jewish family
Did happy space merchants ruin SF?
>>
>>9289876
It was Eternal Anglo Campbell, but he was too autistic to see the damage he was doing.
>>
>>9289358
>plz not Neil Gaimans new book
Why not? It was bretty good. Gave a quick run down on all known Norse myths.
>>
>>9289876
Reading The Essenti Ellison literally redpilled me on Jewish hatred/suspicion of Gentiles.

To be fair though, Campbellian SF had pretty much petered out. New Wave was an honest attempt to do something new and plenty of readers enjoyed it. The better works--like the better Golden Age works--still hold up.
>>
Reading Dune Messiah right now. Am I insane if I'm actually enjoying it better than the original? I just feel like the pacing and characterization is stronger in the sequel. Maybe it's because I'm not a stranger to the universe anymore and I actually understand what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>9289358
vance's lyonesse trilogy maybe
>>
File: file.png (35KB, 455x268px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
35KB, 455x268px
>>9289207
>look it up on wikipedia
>those characters descriptions
>"...and he's 300000 years old and is a half-demon and always walks around shirtless and is the hottest man on earth, also he's my boyfrien-- err I mean, my main character's boyfriend!"
Dude, I asked for novels, not shoujo mangas.
>>
How do I write a novel so powerful it kills off the human species?
>>
>>9290574
become a feminist
>>
File: Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.gif (1006KB, 400x219px) Image search: [Google]
Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.gif
1006KB, 400x219px
Are there any good high fantasy books that's set in a post-apocalyptic Earth?
>>
File: OATHBRINGER cover.jpg (90KB, 740x494px) Image search: [Google]
OATHBRINGER cover.jpg
90KB, 740x494px
I like it, the fact that she can levitate by full metal alchemisting the air into stepping stones is also kinda neat.
>>
>>9290841
The Dying Earth, Jack Vance (depending on your definition of "high")
>>
>>9289180
>doesn't like steel remains
>because ringil is apparently boring
wut
>>
>>9290503
Just read it. better yet, get the audiobooks
>>
So question from reading this thread why have all the usual right wing shits decided that Scalzi's now the target of their whining?
>>
>>9291007
They felt he got a Hugo for Redshirts because of politics and not quality, apparently. Haven't read it myself so I couldn't comment, but he does seem sort of annoying.
>>
New
>>9291022
>>9291022
>>9291022
>>
>>9283292
did you read the book?
>>
>>9284784
paris
>>
File: 1490470846422.jpg (514KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1490470846422.jpg
514KB, 1000x750px
If anyone here wants to make a comic and is a talented writer contact me at hembroger on instagram. if you dont like my style that's okay, i can draw a couple different ways
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.