[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 41

File: 1460070043742.jpg (218KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1460070043742.jpg
218KB, 900x675px
Previously on: >>56133452

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
>>56144139
>>56144165
Pls respond -- something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubuntu-Linux-Toolbox-Commands-Power/dp/1118183525
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sddefault.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
Reminder to reverse engineer Red Star OS so we can have the desktop environment from best Korea.
>>
>open browser
>first you need to hail kim jong kun
>press ok to hail
>>
>>56144478
why not use red star os instead?
>>
>>56144686
is kind of werid accept a botnet with very few users, it became too personal between you and the guy readind your logs
>>
Is there a list of laptops that work with Linux-libre? I'm going to buy a new one and want to make sure that I don't need proprietary stuff to make it work. Should I get a thinkpad, if so which one?
>>
File: 57589879.jpg (168KB, 475x561px) Image search: [Google]
57589879.jpg
168KB, 475x561px
>>56144686
Because it probably phones home. Plus its browsers uses a weird nation-wide LAN instead of regular internet.
>>
File: 1457132623376.png (159KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457132623376.png
159KB, 600x600px
>>56144777
Here https://www.gnu.org/links/companies.html
>>
Is there any media player with a shuffle setting that can remember what has already played recently? So say you have 100 songs, and you play 20 a day. It will only loop back to the first song after it plays everything, even after you restart the app.
>>
Anyone know how I would go about disabling a systemd service before boot finishes? I enabled lightdm.service and now boot won't complete.
>>
>>56144958
Cntrl Alt Del
>>
>want to try gentoo
>load up vm
>smooth sailing
>emerge gentoo-sources
>unpacking linux-4.4.tar.gz
What the fuck
>>
how do i use X on a remote machine from my computer?
>>
>>56144984
that just restarts the booting process
>>
Want to change distro from ubuntu, where do I go? I've heard a lot of people try debian after ubuntu. I'm not that well versed in GNU/Linux but I am hoping to learn with a new distro.
>>
I've been dual booting Windows and Linux Mint for about a year now an am switching to Debian w/ Windows (hopefully down the line can get rid of Windows altogether, but that's for another time). Two questions:

1) I'm planning on just destroying the Linux partitions (I have three: filesystem, swap and my primary partition) and then installing Debian in place of where they used to be. Is this fine, or should I leave the partitions on there? I don't plan on using mint in the near future and I have no files on there I haven't backed up to put on the Debian OS.

2) I noticed the Debian live CD doesn't have wireless support. That's fine, as I can get a wired connection to install Debian. But is it pretty easy to get wireless support after that? I didn't have to fuck with that at all with mint, it just werked. If it's just download the drivers that's no problem, but should I anticipate any other issues?
>>
@56145111 and 56145150
At least you tried today
>>
>>56145032
x11 forewarding
>>
How do I make external drives mount automatically to /media under a unique directory?
>>
>>56145392
udisk2 and udev
>>
Why do you want to change from Ubuntu? It will be easier to recommend based on that
>>
>>56145259
Most wireless drivers can be installed from the nonfree repos later
What is your wireless device?
>>
So a couple weeks ago I installed Ubuntu on a partition to try Linux for the first time. I've really liked it, and my Windows partition is screwed up, so I was thinking of just getting rid of Win10 for good. Now my question:

Is there any way of formatting the Windows partition and make it a "data" partition for Ubuntu? All of this without losing anything on the linux part of course.

Can I just format the win10 partition as ext3/ext4 from ubuntu?

Sorry I'm a n00b :(
>>
>>56145460
Post $lsblk
>>
>>56144958
systemd.unit=multi-user.target to the kernel parameters
>>
>>56145460
Yes, you can use gparted and just format the windows partition to ext4

>make it a "data" partition for Ubuntu
What do you mean, exactly?
>>
>>56145531
thanks fampai
>>
File: sda.png (15KB, 373x167px) Image search: [Google]
sda.png
15KB, 373x167px
>>56145521
pic related
>>56145535
So store the pics,docs,etc in that one and leave the current one for the os and program files. Is that reasonable?
>>
>>56145460
Yes, you can format a partition to ext3/ext4 using fdisk or parted.

Then you have to edit /etc/fstab and add that partition that you formatted (e.g. /dev/sda1) to mount it automatically on boot.
The line should probably look like:
#Append this line to /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /data ext4 defaults 0 1

Otherwise, you would have to mount it manually every time you turn on your computer with 'mount /dev/sda1 /data'

man fdisk
man fstab
man mount
^ read these in order to figure how they all work.
>>
>>56145605
Assuming your windows is in /dev/sda1
$sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
$mkdir ~/data/ && mount /dev/sda1

Or if you want GUI use Gparted
>>
File: 1417368815330.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1417368815330.gif
2MB, 300x225px
How hard is it to setup a proper/working KVM Windows guest? I want to switch to GNU/Linux but I don't want to lose my capability of playing gaymes.
>>
>>56145635
>Yes, you can format a partition to ext3/ext4 using fdisk or parted.
Correction: you format partitions with 'mkfs' not 'fdisk'.
Run
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
to format /dev/sda1 as ext4.
>>
>>56145648
Oh after that see what >>56145635 said.
So basically
$sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
$mkdir ~/data/
$sudo echo "/dev/sda1 /home/<<YOUR USER NAME>>/data ext4 defaults 0 1
" >> /etc/fstab
>>
>>56144478
i am loving Red Star OS ngl
>>
>>56145635
>>56145693

Thanks bros :3
>>
>>56144917

Look for players which have a "consume" like mode. I knot that mpd (or its clients, I don't know who exposes that feature) do have that.
>>
>>56145190

You're an idiot. Anything that you can "learn" on Debian can be learned on Ubuntu or any other distribution. The only thing specific to a distribution which applies to your "learning" case are package managers and switching distributions to "learn" to use a package manager is ridiculous; something only a full blown idiot would do.
>>
>>56144917
That's not what shuffle means
>>
>>56145412
Meant for >>56145190
>>
>>56145190
If you want to learn, use Slackware.
>>
>>56145818
Yes it is. Shuffle just means a randomized list. The problem most of the time is the list gets deleted whenever the program closes.
>>
>>56145845

Which generally useful skill is Slackware going to teach you that any other distribution can't?
>>
I have unbound and dnscrypt setup, but im having a hard time figuring where to put squid in to the mix, and how to
>>
>>56145889
A knowledge of how Linux works in general. Which may or may not be useful for you, but in most other distributions (including Arch and Gentoo) you will only learn how to use this particular distribution.
>>
>>56145888
>already played recently
Then it would not be a shuffle

>randomized list
It does not make a secret list when you press shuffle mode, it indexes and scans the libary each time you request the next song.
>>
>>56145910

How is Slackware going to teach you about how a kernel works? Reading the kernel's source and researching how kernels work in general will teach you that.
>>
I installed Mint 18 Cinnamon on my laptop from a USB, but it will only boot in recovery mode with software rendering. Hardware acceleration worked when using it live from the USB. If I boot in normal mode it just gives a black screen forever.
>>
What is the best distro for my small home server where need to run apache, php, mysql and live tv recording (it's also htpc)
>>
>>56146238
gentoo
>>
Just downloaded i3gaps to my Arch and I don't know how to make it my default wm. What do?
>>
>>56146388
read the arch wiki
>>
>>56146238
>home server
Any distro
>>
>tfw I don't understand SSH
>>
>>56145009
>want to try gentoo
>vm
Ya blew it.
>>
>>56146555
why would i put a rogue distro over my currently installed one?
Its all ready throwing a bitch fit with everything i tell it to do, following the wiki
>>
>>56145009
That's stable, learn how to use masks
>>
>>56146533
There is a book for that.
>>
>>56146428
Couldn't find anything
>>
>>56145190
Depends on what you want.

If you want the absolute best example of Keep It Simple Stupid - Linux, then I would suggest Slackware.

If you want to take inordinate amounts of time learning odds and ends to get the absolute most performance and utility out of your hardware: Gentoo.

If you want to dick-wave autistically while having an unstable shit system with regular breakage that's useful for nothing but time-sinks between tendies and anime: Arch.
>>
>>56146238
Gentoo and build your own kernel minimal
>>
>>56146571
You clearly are not ready to install Gentoo. Come back when you have a clue newfriend.
>>
>>56146611
>If you want to dick-wave autistically while having an unstable shit system with regular breakage that's useful for nothing but time-sinks between tendies and anime: Arch.

HereWeGo.gif
>>
File: 1471055221712.gif (4MB, 301x470px) Image search: [Google]
1471055221712.gif
4MB, 301x470px
>>56146646
Right, so i should be a fucking paid expert using a distro i have never used, and features within it that are different

kill your fucking self faggot
>>
>>56146646
>>56146646
What?
>>
Is there any disadvantages to using Kali as a main OS? I'll be dual booting Windows (for muh games) and GNU/Linux (for pretty much everything else) and since I do some pentesting related stuff as a hobby I was wondering whether I should just use it as my main OS rather than running it in a VM all the time.
>>
>>56146688
Stay mad plebbit.
>>
So I should sell my macbook pro and buy a thinkpad?
>>
>>56146110
I found the solution! The problem was that I am using 2 monitors and for some reason it wanted to disable the first one where it actually shows the login screen. So I had to log in navigating the login menu blindly with hotkeys. After having logged in I could change the display settings to be like they should.
>>
>>56144917
Banshee.
Add songs to your Play Queue, shuffle it, it randomizes the order, but doesn't play ANY file twice until the entire queue has been played. It remembers which songs you've played from the queue even if you quit the program.
>>
File: unnamed.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
7KB, 300x300px
How do I use this and have it equally as God-tier as it was on Windows?
>>
>>56144206
I'm installing my first real Linux (cinnamon) because windows 7 is not cooperating. Can someone just assure me this hipster OS has a proper answer to MPC ? The main use of the computer it's going on is to play videos.
>>
File: fucwitme.jpg (28KB, 600x529px) Image search: [Google]
fucwitme.jpg
28KB, 600x529px
Bit of a retard question coming from someone who should know how to use linux by now, but I want to install lubuntu due only to the fact that it seems to be the only distro with documented support for the hardware I have. And yes, I know, shitbuntu etc etc.

My question is, is there a light installation of the distro out there? I absolutly HATE dealing with all the bloat that comes with the thing. For awhile I was installing debian via netinstall without an internet connection, and then just adding a WM and going from there since its nice a barebones. Is there a way to do this with lubuntu (or any buntu fork)? I wouldn't even mind it coming with a WM and utils, its just the bloated software I can't stand.

Thanks in advance anons <3
>>
>decide to try out linux
>run installation
>"failed to install system"
woah, how is anyone supposed to take seriously an OS which can't even install itself properly?
>>
>>56147616
mpv will be your savior my child. I adore it.
>>
File: really?.jpg (19KB, 401x399px) Image search: [Google]
really?.jpg
19KB, 401x399px
>>56147639
I really hope this is bait. I have the mental capacity of a child and even I can do it.
I promise you that in the time it's taken me to respond, you've realized that it was an error on your part.
>>
Yo guys what up, my laptop is running a Linux OS and i forgot the logon password

yall know how to get past it? thanks
>>
>>56147726
You can try booting from a livecd, mounting the hard disk, retrieving the shadow file and running a password cracker on it.
>>
How do I fully uninstall grub boot loader?

I tried installing Debian and it got fucked up. Now when I boot up my computer I'm greeted with a "minimalist bash-like interface" for grub that doesn't actually boot anything. I can still boot into Windows by mashing F12 on startup which is fine, but I'd really like to remove grub for now. I plan on trying to install Linux again today, but I want the faulty grub gone.
>>
install *BSD
>>
>>56147884
I'm not a masochist, so no.
>>
>>56147930
Your reasoning is invalid. You should rethink.
>>
>>56147653
Weird question but does it have pause on screen click ?
>>
>>56147959
I reason to myself I don't like self harm/torture. Therefore I will not do what you say and install BSD.
>>
>>56147626
ubuntu has a netinstall/minimal install I believe.
>>
So much faggotry today.
>>
>>56147978
Your premise is wrong. You should probably rethink about that.
>>
>>56148066
No it's not, you're wrong.
>>
>>56147626
Get a netinstall then track down the bare minimum packages you want. It's not hard. There are guides aplenty if you duckduckgo it.
>>
>>56148101
Okay.
>>
>>56147961
right click by default, though you can setup any kinds you want
>>
any good software to replace Audials? (radio streaming)
>>
>>56148730
* BSD
>>
I have a thinkpad runnign win 10 rn, as someone just starting out programming c++ and unix and whatnot what are the advantages to running a linux os? Besides the fact that your not supporting a money-jew company like microsoft
>>
Hello my friends!

What is the difference here between Lubuntu and Lubuntu with Lubuntu desktop?
>>
File: Capture.png (99KB, 1323x488px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
99KB, 1323x488px
>>56148859
I forgot my image
>>
Is Manjaro a meme distro?
>>
Are there any good alternatives to FL Studio on Linux? I already have LMMS but it's kind of shit.
>>
File: 1471470312931-fs8.png (24KB, 556x375px) Image search: [Google]
1471470312931-fs8.png
24KB, 556x375px
So i got a new HP notebook with AMD

>install Xubuntu 16.04
>computer freezes
>install Xubuntu 15.04
>computer freezes
>Tried to install older versions
>no driver support
>install Manjaro
>computer freezes

is there any hope?
>>
>>56149015
>HP notebook

I don't know anything about the newer ones but Hewlett-Packard laptops are balls.
>>
>>56149015

did you try installing windows?
>>
>>56149015
>So i got a new HP notebook with AMD
why
>>
>>56149015
search for model + linux on your web search engine of choice, and see other plebs who buy HP and got, or didn't get, linux to work.

about all i can say, besides amd having had (still have too??) shitty drivers. just use the free ones and save yourself a hassle.
>>
I've used the fedora netinst image to install it with the XFCE de but for some weird reason it defaults to cinnamon when it boots. I can still change it to xfce in the login screen. Now installing it using the xfce spin. Why could that have happened?
>>
>>56148940
Audacity
>>
>>56145460
mount */dev/sda2 /mnt
*=replace this device name with the windows partition location

or

gparted
fdisk
cgdisk
or anything like that
>>
>>56148940
Not Audacity. Audacity is mainly for live music ediiting.

You want Ardour
>>
>>56148940
Ardour, lmms, audacity.
How is llms shit?
>>
/fglt/ approved Linux distributions.

Void

Exherbo

Funtoo

Devuan

If you want systemd then Gentoo and Debian are ok.

Ubuntu and Manjaro are the best beginner distros
>>
File: wp.png (545KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wp.png
545KB, 1920x1080px
So i've wrote this tiny script to show me my battery charge from within py3status, but when i plug it in it doesn't show the plug anymore ;_;7
#! /bin/bash

F="/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/"
EN=$(cat "$F""charge_now")
EF=$(cat "$F""charge_full_design")
CHARGE=$(expr $EN \* 100 / $EF)
if (( $CHARGE > 90));
then
ICON=""
elif (( $CHARGE > 65));
then
ICON=""
elif (( $CHARGE > 40));
then
ICON=""
elif (( $CHARGE > 5));
then
ICON=""
else
ICON=""
fi

AC=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/AC/online)
if (( $AC == 1));
then
echo " $CHARGE%"
else
echo "$ICON $CHARGE%"
fi
>>
>>56149750
>Void
Dropped RIGHT there

And It seems I wasn't wrong. Every singe distro you think /fglt/ approves is T R A S H
>>
>>56149750
>Void
Of packages*
>>
I can't get the mother heckin' driver to work. It's the toadking driver for the wii u gamecube adapter. I downloaded it and made it and put it in /usr/local/bin/. I know you've gotta run it as root but it can't launch it from the terminal and I can see it when I use rofi but it won't launch as it has to be in root to launch.
>>
>>56147455
Sorry, I don't think there's an equivalent experience for OneNote on Linux. People on a recent reddit thread are saying that the closest thing is running OneNote 2010 in wine, or something called BasKet Note Pads.

It figures Microsoft wouldn't support one of their killer apps on Linux.
>>
What distro has a live iso with really recent software? Or at least a way to get it in the repos.
>>
>>56148900
It would suck if it was, I run it.
>>
>try to ssh into gentoo from windows machine running putty on the same network
>connection refused
>>
>>56146430
>Home server
>9 days up
That seems...
>Arch
Oh
>>
>>56150249
What are you trying to say?
>>
>>56150285
Just a salty memer probably
>>
>>56150317
Autistic*

Notice how he can't express himself properly. Poor autist
>>
>>56149750
>Void
>Exherbo
>Funtoo
>Devuan

not approving any of these fly by night distros.

So speak for yourself Anonymous
>>
>>56150332
not the first guy, but what?

i thought it was all the anime for life autists that ran arch, especially on their home servers. you learn something new everyday i guess.
>>
>>56150549
>9 days up
>server
>>
>>56150549
True, next day you may end up the learning correct way to capitalise words.

Baby steps, anon.
>>
>>56150581
What again?
>>
>>56150590
Go back to sleep.
>>
>>56150604
>Memetexts
>lol u go 2 sleep
>>>/b/
>>
>>56150635
>too thick to follow
Remember it's a school night hun.
>>
>>56150653
So far you have raised zero arguments. Time to fuck off back to /b/ where you come from
>>
>>56150662
It's not my fault you're too stupid anon.
>>
File: unnamed.png (265KB, 506x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
265KB, 506x900px
I need to create an art like picture related for my App.
What image editing program do you guys suggest? I am running Ubuntu.
>>
>>56150672
Let me guess:
>start with meme text
>get told to give argument
>have none
>"may be I'll call him stupid lolololxddd"
Not working, underage fucktard
>>
>>56150689
>doesn't get it
>gets told
>still doesn't get it
Sure anon, sure.
>>
>>56150708
>He doesn't get my nonsense memetext
Fuck off
>>
Is debian a good distro to start out with if I don't care about having the latest packages? Is it significantly harder to setup and start working than others? I'm leaning towards debian because I like the size of the project and the amount of helpful docs it provides.
>>
>>56150726
Christ you are dumb, go back to sleep.
>>
ok fags, get a room and fuck off the friendly thread already
>>
>>56146848
Sell it and buy a chromebook. Thinkpad is a meme.
>>
>>56150744
>lol u dumb
>lol go to sleepzz X-DDDD
>lol u dumb
*yawn*

Is this how /b/ responds when they get cornered?
>>
>>56149750
This is an objective and truthful post. Meme replies are from autistic arch users. Please be advised.
>>
>>56150807
Stop replying to yourself.

get your "inspect element" ready
>>
>>56150788
How much explanation do you need? If you can't see what the joke was from the start then you probably shouldn't be on /g/.
>>
>>56150731
Debian is not a good distro. Please refer to >>56149750 for help.
>>
>>56150823
Oh great now we move on to "I was pretending to be retarded" episode

Last (you)
>>
>>56150838
You're the one who doesn't get the obvious anon, we're on a tech board remember. Do you even know what a server is?
>>
>>56150830
Literally says debian is ok
>>
>>56147455
Maybe in WINE. I suggest TreeSheets thou, would also go for emacs Org mode but is way more advanced.
>>
Is ChromeOS a linux distro?
>>
File: 2016-08-18 19.02.49.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-18 19.02.49.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
My system is hanging while installing this package for a distributor upgrade.

What can I do?
>>
File: 13938595.jpg (23KB, 600x335px) Image search: [Google]
13938595.jpg
23KB, 600x335px
The most popular distros in /g/ (ubuntu and Arch) use systemd.

Tell me 1 (ONE) good reasons why vegan hippies haven't killed themselves
>>
>>56150909
press tab, highlight ok an press enter.
>>
How do I into openbox or xmonad?

KDE is a buggy, laggy turd and going to a minimal wm seemed like the logical thing to do.
>>
>>56150964
KDE was buggy in my VM as well. It works fine in real hardware
>>
>>56150948
> be meatcuck
> eat meat every meal
> fat as fuck
> heart straining
> arteries hard as diamonds
> m-muh protein...
> k-kek *wheeze* veggiecucks and their rabbit food...
> shitpost on 4chan until I die of cancer because I eat literal carcinogens in ever meal

Am I reading this right?
>>
>>56150985
I installed KDE on my laptop. Among other things, it blacks the screen every time I close the lid and the hotkeys to increase it only work half the time.

Really it's just more hassle than it's worth. I'd rather use something minimal than concern myself with how sexy my DE looks.
>>
What's the easiest way to run a Tor relay for a Windows user who doesn't know anyhing about Linux? Is it possible to have it running from a USB-stick somehow?
>>
>>56150909
>>56150961
I wonder just how many people get stuck on that. Never really thought about it before.
>>
>>56150989
>eat meat every meal
> fat as fuck
Spotted the SJW vegan cuckold
>>
>>56150948
>The most popular distros in /g/ (ubuntu and Arch)
They're meme distros.
>>
>>56151038
What do you use?
>>
>>56151015
Save yourself some time and just email the cp to the FBI. Tor is not for winfags.
>>
>>56151042
Gentoo
>>
>>56151047
I don't even use Tor for anything. I would just like to contribute bandwith to the network.
>>
>>56150961
just kms
>>
>>56151055
It's one of the bigger memes, NEET anon
>>
>>56151073
Jealous archfag detected.
>>
>>56151093
At least I have a job and I live by myself.

How much is your NEETbux?
>>
>>56151018
> muh SJW vegan cuckolds meme

Wow, is that the best you can do? I guess that makes sense, considering your arteries are so hard and clogged, the bloodflow to your brain is probably as minimal as the fat on my trimmed, muscular body. You actually think the only protein comes from the flesh of tortured animals, charred to the point of being carcinogenic. Why don't you tell that to the delicious, healthy lentil soup I ate for lunch today? Oh right, just because I'd prefer it if our crops and water were spent keeping human beings alive instead of fueling corporate farms where animals are subjected to almost comically inhumane conditions and then slaughtered en masse is distasteful to me, I'm a cuck. Because everyone knows that if you're not torturing something weaker than you, you're a pussy. Well let me tell you something, buddy. I work out two hours a day, I eat a healthy, protein-packed vegan diet, my body is astounding and powerful, and I could kick the shit out of you. So how about you go cry into your greasy, carcinogenic steak, fatass, because I'll take a vegan shit on your grave for the many decades I will outlive you.
>>
>>56151115
>I will outlive you.
kek lowlife grass consumer actually believes this
>>
What do you guys do to still play your vidya? GPU passthrough?
>>
>>56151056
you're better off renting a vps that allows tor relays, and donate bandwidth that way.
>>
>>56151115
This will make a nice pasta
>>
File: 1464231076716.jpg (44KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
1464231076716.jpg
44KB, 600x476px
>>56151150
PS4
>>
>>56151115
teach me how to be fit anon

my man tits depress me
>>
>>56151226
Step 1: stop eating meat. For protein, you can try beans, quinoa, lentils, protein powders that you mix into drinks, tree nuts, among other things.
Step 2: Start an exercise regimen. Start going to a gym or buy some workout equipment. Work out every day. You don't need to go crazy, just enough that you feel it. If you keep going until it hurts, you will eventually find an excuse to stop. Part of motivation to workout could be set minor, ACHIEVABLE goals daily and reward yourself for meeting them with like a chocolate bar or something. Having said that, don't beat yourself up if you can't meet it, and don't take "I met the goal" as your cue to put everything down and spend the rest of the day on 4chan. Work out as long as you want, as long as it is every single day.

Read Scott Adams' How to Fail at Everything and Still Win Big as well as his blog for some further advice on managing cravings, energy, and the like.

I've never actually been to /fit/ but from what I hear it's actually a nice resource even if you aren't gay.
>>
File: amateur.gif (1MB, 328x320px) Image search: [Google]
amateur.gif
1MB, 328x320px
>>56151223
Downvoted.
>>
>>56151305
ty
>>
>>56151305
>>56151115
>>56150989
What's your BMI? hahaha
>>
>>56151150
mostly emulation trough retroarch and dolphin, an old windows pc for touhou and a PS2 + HDD
>>
>>56151378
See, my issue is I want to switch to Linux for superior UX but I really like my games. I also game frequently so dual booting would be annoying. I'm trying to weigh my options but I can't decide.

Maybe run Arch in Hyper-V or VMWare on my Windows PC in fullscreen?
>>
>>56151109
>I live by myself.
And you always will.
>>
>>56151465
Look into running a windows VM with GPU passthrough.
>>
>>56151569
I guess I could do that, yeah. Do you know if there's anyway to have the Windows VM run in a window on Linux opposed to a whole other monitor with GPU passthrough?
>>
Is there a stock install of a distro you can just throw in to a vm and be done?
>>
Given that I am interested in Vulkan, is there any reason why I might want to use nouveau instead of nvidia?
>>
which config file tells xorg when to dim/shutoff the display?
>>
>>56151642
yeah plenty actually
>>
File: 1468796409860.jpg (30KB, 360x400px) Image search: [Google]
1468796409860.jpg
30KB, 360x400px
>>56151761
Would you be so kind as to grace us heathens with your godly knowledge, that you hid behind a thin veil of self-loathing, which you project on the internet to get some sort of self gratification, by being a sarcastic snob?
>>
File: desktop-7.27.16.jpg (2MB, 5120x2800px) Image search: [Google]
desktop-7.27.16.jpg
2MB, 5120x2800px
>>56145660
It is simple if you have the right hardware.

This is the guide I used:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Here is my script:
#!/bin/bash

OPTS=""

# CPU Configuration
OPTS="$OPTS -cpu host,kvm=off"
OPTS="$OPTS -smp 2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1"
OPTS="$OPTS -enable-kvm"

# RAM
OPTS="$OPTS -m 6000"

# UEFI
OPTS="$OPTS -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

# QEMU Monitoring
OPTS="$OPTS -monitor stdio"

# Optical drive
#OPTS="$OPTS -cdrom "/path/to/iso""

# Emulated video device
#OPTS="$OPTS -vga qxl"

# 240GB SSD
OPTS="$OPTS -hda /dev/sdc"

# R9 270
OPTS="$OPTS -device vfio-pci,host=06:00.0,multifunction=on"
OPTS="$OPTS -device vfio-pci,host=06:00.1"

# PCI Gigabit NIC
OPTS="$OPTS -device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,rombar=0 -net none"

# USB DAC
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,vendorid=0x0d8c,productid=0x000e"

# Gamepad
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,vendorid=0x1532,productid=0x0111 "

# USB Hub connected to KVM switch
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.1 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.2 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.3 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.4 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.5 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.6 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=13.1.7"
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=10.1.7 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostport=10.1.6"

# USB hub on monitor
OPTS="$OPTS -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=2,hostport=5.1.1 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=2,hostport=5.1.2 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=2,hostport=5.2 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=2,hostport=5.1"

# Start VM
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 $OPTS

I have it set up so that two people can play games at once. I play games in the host as my friend plays games in the guest. I rarely play games in the guest alone anymore, because I have all of my favorite games running natively.
>>
I want to install Gentoo on my laptop but I'll be moving around for the next few days. Is it possible for me to interrupt the installation (by turning off my laptop), and then pick up from where I left off?
>>
>>56152078
As long as you are not in the middle of compiling that should be fine.
>>
Arch or Gentoo?
I'm a working student and I've really wanted to run a DYI distro, but I don't know if I have the time for Gentoo.
>>
Can anyone help me with an emacs issue? I'm not terribly tech savvy, but I've been messing around with emacs for writing. I've been trying to install something called poetry-mode.. but I'm not really sure how it's done and a lot of the guides seem to assume you already know a lot.

I think there are some dependencies, but I don't know how to install those either. Somehow I managed to get org-journal working but copy and pasting it in my .emacs file...but that doesn't work with poetry-mode.
>>
>>56152248
>I don't know if I have the time for Gentoo.
Arch it is then
>>
>>56152268
Is it mostly the installation that takes time for Gentoo? Uni doesn't start until next week for me so I could install it over the weekend if that's the main issue
>>
>>56152273
Updating, upgrading the distro will take you a long time, it's source based so you gotta compile
>>
>>56150890
Second for org mode, or a wiki like vimwiki if you can't get used to the keybinds.
>>
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powershell-is-open-sourced-and-is-available-on-linux/

Your opinions on this?
>>
Does anyone use deepin? How do they like it? I just started using it and it feels pretty damn comfy. Smooth, easy, and looks pretty nice.
>>
>>56152333
>Your opinions on this?
I'll try it soon

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/powershell-bin/
>>
>>56152494
That package seems to be broken.
>>
>>56152505
Yes, I'm waiting for the fix
>>
Is the arch wiki page the best guide for GPU passthrough?
>>
>>56152644
yes, arch wiki is always the best source for anything linux related
>>
>>56150903
Arguably the only successful one, yes.
>>
>>56152765
>always
*often
>>
> decide to try ricing because I'm using a potato laptop
> no idea what I'm doing
> blank desktop, access things by right-clicking

Honestly, I kind of like this system.

Now I just need to figure out what the fuck things to install.
>>
>>56152791
Show me 5 instances where it is not
I'll give you an hour to nit pick the wiki and show minor differences.
>>
>>56152794
if there was only a webpage that had information on how to rice your setup, surely one should consider information provided in this thread
>>
>>56146571
>why would i put a rogue distro over my currently installed one?
You shouldn't, ignore the memers
>Its all ready throwing a bitch fit with everything i tell it to do, following the wiki
VM's are ridiculously idealized, you will find a lot of problems when installing on real hardware that won't show up in a VM, it's better to a test machine to do this kind of stuff
>>
So how would you go about changing from using a stub kernel booting UEFI to MBR?
>>
File: CpaEJleW8AAe-oR.jpg (58KB, 495x600px) Image search: [Google]
CpaEJleW8AAe-oR.jpg
58KB, 495x600px
>>56148900
Yes.
>>
>>56148900
>Is Manjaro a meme distro?
It is but it's the only distro that uses Pacman that has a non-DIY install, Antergos is completely broken
>>56151038
>They're meme distros.
Perfect for a meme board
>>
>>56151174
Relays aren't about bandwidth
>>56151056
>>56151015
>What's the easiest way to run a Tor relay for a Windows user who doesn't know anyhing about Linux?
Just run it on Windows, there's a preconfigured bundle on the Tor site
>Is it possible to have it running from a USB-stick somehow?
It is, but there's no preconfigured LiveUSB ISO out there afaik, so you would need to learn a bit of *nix and set it up yourself
>>
Does anyone use multiple sound cards each with specific uses on Linux?

I've got two sound cards, one for speakers and one for headphones & mic. On Windows I use the Playback Devices GUI to switch between default devices but I've also got some programs set to permanently use a specific device no matter the current default. So for example I can switch between speakers and headphones and music applications, games, etc will switch over but my voice chat will always stay on the headphone device.

On Linux this seems like a huge pain in the ass that I've got to write a custom script for. I've just been experimenting with scripting pactl but you've got to gather all programs currently outputting on a device, switch the source & sink, and then assign those programs to the new source & sink otherwise they don't switch over. It also doesn't respect individual program settings to stick to a specific device no matter the current default.
>>
>>56151661
>Given that I am interested in Vulkan, is there any reason why I might want to use nouveau instead of nvidia?
Freedom since Vulkan and nouveau are free as in freedom
Otherwise no, afaik there's not even Vulkan support on nouveau
>>
>>56150111
Arch Anywhere.
>>
>>56153441
use pavucontrol.
Everything you listed can be done, in a gui
>>
hello /flgt/, I'm new to linux, and want to install a distro to a usb stick(3.0, 256gb)

what distro is good to start with? I know some unix coding, but not enough to do anything without help.
>>
File: 2016-08-18-23:14:13-scrot.png (168KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-18-23:14:13-scrot.png
168KB, 1366x768px
Does i3 fork a process for every window? This slowed me down to a crawl, but it didn't crash. I was able to open a terminal a full minute after I pressed the key combo to reboot.
>>
So I've been knocking my head on this issue for a while now. Every now and then, my KDE desktop decides to crash. The task bar at the bottom of my screen disappears and then reapearrs in a couple of seconds. I am running arch + kde/openbox and I don't know what's causing this crash.

Is there anywhere that I can look (i.e. logs) to find out what's causing it?
>>
>>56153967
I like Crunchbang++ for ease of setup and size.
>>
>>56149015
>HP
>AMD
there's your problem, HP is a shit corporation that makes it's money off selling garbage products that break down faster than the chinese knock-offs at a premium

and AMD, while their products run well, can't hold a candle to intel, not in my experience anyway
>>
I am thinking of switching to Debian Stable, but for three programs I want to be bleeding edge: GCC, CMake, and emacs. Everything else I want to basically stay the same for fucking ever. Is it possible to update programs like that? Will I just have to build them from source every update?
>>
>>56153425
see https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-relay.html.en

>The Tor network relies on volunteers to donate bandwidth. The more people who run relays, the faster the Tor network will be. If you have at least 2 megabits/s for both upload and download, please help out Tor by configuring your Tor to be a relay too.
>>
>>56154050
And hope that the deps don't get too old.
emacs seems to have an assload of deps, too. maybe less on debian.

And, I don't quite remember , but GCC is pretty important for most programs and breaks ABIs pretty regularly. That could be a problem.
>>
>>56153998
thankfully size isn't an issue, can it run steam okay? [spoiler]I miss Papers Please[/spoiler]
>>
>>56154124
it's basically riced-out debian stable.
so yeah.
>>
>Some config settings STILL left preserved after uninstalling
FUCK this shit
>>
>>56154159
rm -rf .config
>>
>>56153998
>>56154149
alright, I'll try it
>#!++
I was not expecting this and I love it
>>
1. Is there a program that will display guitar chords through the terminal?

2. Does someone have the terminal colors that match the GTK Arc-Dark theme?
>>
File: 2016-08-18-23:53:56-scrot.png (10KB, 632x536px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-18-23:53:56-scrot.png
10KB, 632x536px
>>56154256
>1. Is there a program that will display guitar chords through the terminal?
<
>2. Does someone have the terminal colors that match the GTK Arc-Dark theme?
use a color picker with an eyedrop tool on a screenshot like the rest of us
>>
>>56154299
Thank you based anon.
>>
>>56151305
>Homophobic
>Suggests eating quinoa, lentils, and tree nuts
>>
>sudo aptitude markauto '~i!~nubuntu-minimal'
This machine is slowly die, even the kernel is going to get removed
>>
>>56144917
What you're really asking for is shuffling a playlist. mpd lets you do that (it's Z in ncmpcpp)
>>
>>56145190
Just stick to Ubuntu (or derivatives). Why switch? Distro literally does not matter, the kernel is the only thing that matters. Everything else can be replaced.
>>
File: 1471372869433.png (636KB, 1022x4773px) Image search: [Google]
1471372869433.png
636KB, 1022x4773px
Oh boy.
>>
>>56154557
>Actually falling for clang meme
Enjoy your breakage
>>
>>56150683
GIMP
>>
Hey /g/, bit of a dilemma here.

So, I'm looking for a desktop Linux distro that is both lightweight and stable, and is up for everyday use.

I was using Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, but even Ubuntu MATE ran smoother on my ASUS ROG laptop (older model, 8 GB ram i7 processor).

I was thinking Xubuntu, as I like XFCE, but it was rather buggy with their software center. I like Ubuntu MATE but it seems a little bloated at times.

For the purposes of Steam gaming, documents, etc. would Lubuntu be a good choice, or is there another mainstream distro that would be better?

I was thinking of trying Mint XFCE to see if it's faster, but seeing as how Lubuntu is a main alternative from Ubuntu, I figured it'd be better to use and it seems to need less resources.

Thanks for your input, been away from Windows for a year and a half now and I would like to keep it that way!
>>
>>56153998
>>56154149
>it's a torrent

you got a raw ISO? I've never had any luck with torrents. and if there isn't a way around torrenting it, would mint work okay, or is it shit?
>>
>>56154603
>text setting in GIMP
ISHYGDDT
mostly because it's impossible
>>56150683
Krita. It's a little better.
>>
>>56154667
it's pretty shit, but that's relative to better experiences. It's all right.

Check your router to see if it blocks P2P or something.
>>
>>56154691
well, if mint is shit, which okay distro can I get through a raw iso?

and it's that ther have either never been seeders, or that the files I get are corrupted thank to my anemic connection
>>
File: 1471419626812.png (820KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471419626812.png
820KB, 1920x1080px
Could someone give me tips on how to get your desktop to look like pic related. I especially like the icons. Also what music player is he using? I think it could be deadbeef but im not sure.
>>
>>56154566
What? clang has never broken on me before, what the fuck are you on about?
Clang is the future. GCC is smelly garbage.
>>
>>56154739
just get xubuntu if it's that big of an issue. no unity amazon bullshit and stable/hardware friendly enough.

>and it's that ther have either never been seeders
due to router settings or something else that i'm not going to troubleshoot
>or that the files I get are corrupted
you can verify the file in the rightclick menu with most torrent apps.

>>56154775
>>>/g/desktop
it's a customizable toolbar that lets you set icons and shortcuts independently. e.g. xfce's bar.
mpd+ncmpcpp, p sure.
>>
>>56154775
that's windows and foobar2000
>>
I want to turn an old 2012 PC into a basic weeb reading, viewing, and browsing station.

It has 8GB ram and a fairly aged SSD as the boot drive. From my understanding I shouldn't setup a SWAP partition on an SSD correct? That if I must have it it should be on a separate, mechanical drive?

Also what is the difference between Hibernating and Suspending? I read that no SWAP means no Hibernating. As a Winfag I only know of putting a PC to "Sleep" if I don't want to completely shutdown.
>>
>>56154775
It's Windows, just look at the taskbar (start icon, icon tray, HH:MM clock, show desktop button)
>>
>>56154948
drive health doesn't really matter for SSDs.
hibernate writes all the RAM to the swap and turns off. suspend is sleep mode. it also rarely works with linux.
>>
>>56154948
Put the swap on the SSD. Otherwise there's no point having an SSD
>>
How do I find duplicates of files, if the names aren't exact but similar? Like I want to match:

File A - Test 1 - Part 3 .xyz
File A, Test 1 (Part 3) .xyz

Is this feasible?
>>
>>56155023
look into find and awk I would guess
>>
>>56155031
thanks.
>>
File: 1298568536918.jpg (53KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1298568536918.jpg
53KB, 400x400px
>>56154983
>>56154991
So an 8GB SWAP partition on an SSD should do me fine, and I should get used to saving my sessions before Hibernating or simply tuning off the PC, since Suspending isn't as reliable?

Alright, thanks for the help anons.
>>
>>56155073
oh, no. I fucked up my grammar too bad. it's late.
Hibernate rarely works, and is highly hardware dependent. YMMV.
suspend basically always works.
whoops.
>>
im setting up mpd+ncmpcpp. When i have to put the path to my music, is it okay if the music folder has a bunch of sub folders. Or does it have to be straight to mp3s/oggs/flac/etc.
>>
>>56153827

I don't get sound on my secondary card when switching with pavucontrol

Fuck this is such a fucking pain in the ass . why is sound on linux so shit
>>
>>56155092
Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>56155104
of course folders are fine. what do you think this is, VLC?
>>
>>56155109
>why is sound on linux so shit
Lennartware
>>
File: らくがきつね17本目.jpg (408KB, 1024x1424px) Image search: [Google]
らくがきつね17本目.jpg
408KB, 1024x1424px
I tried to install syslinux to boot into legacy mode but it's too complicated so I'll stick with my EFI stub kernel.
>>
Can I queue a song to play next while shuffling a playlist with mpd?
>>
>>56155310
yes
>>
>>56155329
Very helpful, thank you.
How?
>>
>>56155310
mpc insert <file>
>>
So I have this laptop that runs extremely slow with windows, gonna install linux, but I haven't used linux in like 2 years. What's the best distro that's out now?
>>
>>56155385
The ones without systemd. Namely Gentoo.
>>
>>56155371
oh. well, that's great.
Now I just need to figue out how to do that with ncmpcpp.
>>
File: 1417714177420.jpg (76KB, 532x766px) Image search: [Google]
1417714177420.jpg
76KB, 532x766px
I want to create an offline copy of this site
http://hearingtest.online/
To use it on any machine with a browser, will wget do the trick?
>>
>>56155405
t.shill
>>56155385
systemd actually helps boot speed.
use either crunchbang++ or xubuntu.
>>
>>56155342
sorry
you can use mpd's priority
Ctrl+P by default in ncmpcpp
>>
>>56155442
huh, well that works well enough. thanks.
>>
>>56155431
thanks anon I'll look into those.
>>
>>56144206
Hey guys, i'm a bit of a noob with this, but how do i compile this?

http://www.flashtool.net/downloads_linux.php

pic related
>>
>>56155800
./FlashTool in terminal
if that doesn't work you're out of luck
>>
>>56147705
It's literally the basic system installation that is same as in the windows, it selects a HDD to install into and then it starts its automatic routine of copying the system files and what not, there is nothing for the user to do wrong, the whole thing is automatic and then it fucking fails while installing the system
This never happened to me once with windows, guess that this really shows that linux is made by hobbyists in their spare time and not by professionals
>>
Okay stupid question, can linux use any wifi card for sniffing?
>>
>>56155800
damn what theme is that.
btw its already compiled
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-08-19_18-40-58.png (1MB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-08-19_18-40-58.png
1MB, 3840x1080px
>>56156026
GTK3/.20 theme: Flat-Adapta - https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1099906/

Icon pack - https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1015826/ with more foldercolours addon pack

>>56155821
Thanks
>>
Is there like some simple apt-get or some shit i can do on a linux machine so that it will allow me to double click my .exe file and run it? i made it in visual studio with c# and need to run it on our server at work (my boss is a cheap shit and refuses to shell out for windows server)
>>
>>56144206

noob here

Stopped by the thread to pick up some tips on where to start, like maybe a web page for someone who has been on Windows since 1995 and would like to escape microsoft and migrate to linux.

I need to start at pretty much base zero and all the various websites I've been trying start out in the first paragraph with language and terms that make the second paragraph incomprehensible.

Is there anything like a website that starts off explaining what they're talking about, actually defining the terminology as it's being introduced?

Also noting; a large segment of this thread is very much not "friendly." Is it always like this, or is this one just a bad night?
>>
>>56156120
set wine or wine program loader as the default program for .exe
mono might work too
>>
>>56156144
the shortlist:
use rufus to put an iso file of xubuntu on a flash drive
use your computer's BIOS to boot from it
wiping windows altogether is not recommended, make some space on your hard drive and resize the windows partition, which the installer makes easy

google everything you don't understand, and hope none of it is a cryptic error no one has had before.

done.

this is 4chan, don't mind the peanut gallery.
>>
If i install the grub on an usb stick, does that mean the linux will only boot if i insert the stick and the windows will boot otherwise?
>>
>>56156198
as long as the boot device stays on the usb drive as default.
>>
>>56156190

Thanks for reply.

Wanted to read up on what I'm doing before installing. Tried Ubuntu and OpenSUSE last month when I had a free weekend.

Yeah, sure, you get all sorts of "choices," but presented in moonspeak, so they're meaningless. I find myself in need of a translation device from Windows garble into linux bargle. Google is polluted with a wasteland of useless forum posts and social media retardation.

Anyway. I'll google up xubuntu and see what that's about. Just getting tired of wandering around in circles and having "choices" thrown at me without any definitions or explanations of what I'm supposed to be choosing.

Really want a primer that explains how linux is structured so I know what the hell I'm building, and how to navigate it.
>>
>>56156336
You're supposed to be choosing an environment that works for you. If you're unhappy with something, pick something else at random.
Most people around here end up with Arch linux because new software. the arch wiki is a good consistent resource, as well.
as well, Linux From Scratch is a book that tells you how to build your own distribution from scratch.
>>
File: 1417705382460.jpg (35KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1417705382460.jpg
35KB, 480x640px
>>56155424
anyone?
>>
>>56156407
have you tried?
>>
>>56156377
>pick something else at random

Precisely what I'm tired of doing. I'm very time-limited, so I can't approach this like a video game that I'm exploring.

> supposed to be choosing an environment that works for you

Well, yeah. Finding actual descriptions of the choices so I can compare them and eliminate the obvious FAILs before wasting time on them ... that's kind of the trick.

Seriously, what you are suggesting is what I've been doing. Not happy with the results.

Example: this weekend I might have 8 or 10 hours to play around and try some stuff. Or, I though I might invest that time in reading up on what I'm attempting so I can make some efficient choices the next weekend I get a few hours free.

Last time I had 10 hours free to play around with linux was 4th of July. Not sure when the next one will be. Labor Day's already shot, so I'm hoping maybe before October gets here.

Anyway, appreciate the responses. I'll keep looking around on my own.
>>
>>56156452
You're where most people are for years.
I ended up on Arch for years now. It's been good to me as far as just werking.
Setup's a bitch, and they purposefully leave stuff out so you can figure it out cough xorg cough, but it sounds like you're having trouble deciding what won't break. This probably won't break, shitposters aside.
>>
>>56155192
>>56155405

GET
THE
FUCK
OUT,
SHITPOSTER
>>
>>56144206
does anyone know of a good guide for getting started with ncmpcpp?
i dont really care too muchabout ricing, just want a lightweight customizable music player and I've always liked what other anons have done with it
>>
>>56156490
F1
>>
File: 1422850985273.jpg (146KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
1422850985273.jpg
146KB, 736x1104px
>>56156409
Yeah, I only get the webpage, I'm not sure what variable I'm missing to download the JS to plot the audiogram.
>>
>>56156532
man wget | grep css
>>
>>56156542
>css
This is CSS?
>>
>>56156570
or whateverthefuck you need. linked files. and css. look through the man pages for shit like that.
>>
Tech iliterate(although i want to learn) here i just got an old laptop in my hands, here is my question, what is the difference between linux mint xfce edition and xubuntu?
>>
>>56156819
mint doesn't ensure that the packages they send are the ones you get
but it also doesn't deal with (or deals less with) the shitfest that is ubuntu's custom packages.
go with xubuntu.
>>
anyone here use unetbootin?
>>
>>56154630
Debian, don't even bother with gui packagemanagers/software centers.
Just use apt-get or aptitude and everything will work easier than expected.
>>56154781
Clang can't even compile linux, stop your corporate meme compilers.
>>
>>56156891
>anyone here use unetbootin?
No, cp, dd and Win32diskimager are everything one might need.
>>
File: proud.jpg (11KB, 214x46px) Image search: [Google]
proud.jpg
11KB, 214x46px
>>56144206
>>56144206
>>56144206
Am i doing well so far?
>>
i plugged my camera into a linux machine and and it haven't shown me the folder, what the fuck do i do?
>>
>>56157233
have you tried turning it off and back on again?
>>
File: 111.jpg (25KB, 1658x315px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
25KB, 1658x315px
>>56157233
>and it haven't shown me the folder,
>>
>>56157261
If linux isn't able to detect usb without rebooting then i'm pretty much done with it
>>
>>56157278
you're a fucking retard
>>
>>56157278
lel
>>
>>56157278
but seriously, you need to give more information
what camera? which distribution?
>>
>>56157294
>>56157297
wow i knew the linux community was toxic, but i had no idea it was a full blown septic of elitism, no wonder the market share is like .0001% and dropping
>>
>>56157333
that's what you wanted to think when you asked the question. So that's what will be true to you. Fuck off dumbass
>>
>>56157233
Try mounting it
>>
>>56157083
Probably, next time use a torrent so it downloads faster.
>>
-> >>56158126
>>
File: 1465244124625.gif (800KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
1465244124625.gif
800KB, 220x220px
>>56149750
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.