[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 32

File: 1467953176221.jpg (130KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
1467953176221.jpg
130KB, 700x467px
Previously on: >>56121373

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
Install gentoo
>>
ITS LINUX NOT "GNU" LINUX

RMS INVENTED THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN "KERNEL" AND "OPERATING SYSTEM"
HISTORICALLY, NO UNIX OR UNIX-BASED OR NON-UNIX-BASED SYSTEM SEPARATED THE KERNEL FROM THE OS
BOTH LINUX AND GNU SOFTWARE WERE CREATED/RELEASED UNDER FREE/COPYLEFT LICENSES
IT WOULD BE AS CORRECT TO SAY THAT THE LINUX OS "MAKES USE" OF THE FREELY AVAILABLE GNU UTILITIES AS IT WOULD BE TO SAY THAT THE GNU OS "MAKES USE" OF THE FREELY AVAILABLE LINUX KERNEL, EXCEPT AS NOTED ABOVE, FOR VIRTUALLY ALL OF COMPUTING HISTORY, KERNEL == OS
FURTHERMORE THE GNU OS ALREADY HAS A KERNEL CALLED "HURD". THEY'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK FOR DECADES.
IT WOULD BE MOST CORRECT TO SAY THAT EACH DISTRIBUTION COMBINES FREE (AND SOMETIMES NON-FREE) COMPONENTS INTO A COMPLETE OPERATING SYSTEM AND THEN CALLS IT WHATEVER IT WANTS TO. SOME CHOOSE TO CALL THEMSELVES GNU/LINUX. OTHERS CHOOSE TO CALL THEMSELVES LINUX. THE FREEDOM OF SELF-DETERMINATION RESTS WITH THE CREATOR(S) OF THE FINAL DISTRIBUTION
RMS IS A FASCIST WHO WANTS TO RESTRICT OTHER PEOPLE'S FREEDOMS FOR HIS OWN AUTISTIC SELF-SERVING EGO
>>
>>56133465
see >>56133462
>>
Why would I use a DE?
>>
I asked this in the last thread and no one responded

Is brainfuck scheduler actually worth it or just a meme?
>>
>>56133465
RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.
>>
>>56133495
>>56133465
This website is 18+.
>>
Void

Exherbo

Funtoo

Devuan

These are the /fglt/ approved distributions.
>>
>>56133478
Because you want everything work and feel fine with each other, because you don't want to spend too much time on changing things, because you don't know which exact programs are your favorites yet and search for a platform to build from...
t. dwm user.
>>
>>56133582
According to whom?
Some people might actually like or want to use systemd, by choosing something for people over their heads makes you just as bad as poettering.
>>
>>56133633
If you insist on systemd then Debian and Gentoo are accepted alternatives.
>>
>>56133633
>Some people might actually like or want to use systemd

But why though?

So you can have 'socket activation' lololololol
>>
>>56133646
I agree that those are good, but the idea of fglt approved anything or "best" anything kinda grinds my gears
>>
>>56133702
It helps for two reasons.

1. People stop asking for recommendations (we can decide on what the best noob distro is for complete beginners)

2. We can fight against the Arch Linux nonsense that is really starting to pick up momentum.
>>
Trying to setup unbound+dnscrypt
When i start unboun and dnscrypt, there are no errors.Using dig via terminal works. However when ever i use any browser it cannot resolve anything.
Both /etc/resolv and /etc/resolvconf are set to 127.0.0.1
>>
>>56133702
>implying gentoo is not both approved and the best distro
Fuck off normie shitbird.
>>
>>56133730
>nonsense
It is freetards who have a vm of arch setup, and shit post from it.notice all of their uptimes are under 30m.
Actual arch users arent like this.
Proof.
Last 3 threads there was no arch shitposting, and multiple people asking arch specific issues were solved
>>
>>56133492
It increases response over performance, however the performance "loss" is not noticeable.
>>
>>56133758
>excusing the shit behavior of Arch users
Why?
>>
>>56133776
pacman issues
makepkg issues
pkgbuild help
>>
>>56133758
>Last 3 threads there was no arch shitposting

There was some idiot in the last thread talking about how much more powerful pacman is over dpkg.
>>
>>56133786
You don't need to remind us of reasons why Arch is a terrible distro, we're all well aware.
>>
>>56133730
>>56133758
>>56133776
>>56133797
>>56133812
So people rather come out of the shadows and shit on a distro, then actually help people.

Grade A
>>
>>56133837
Basically, /fglt/ is people shitting on arch and archfags sperging over it.
>>
>>56133837
Arch and it's users have more than earned all the hate they get. Use a real distro like an adult so you don't have to carry water for them.
>>
>>56133878
People taking it too serious. It's just what happens when there are no newcomers asking questions or other interesting topics. When fglt get's bored it starts meming.
>>
>>56133907
Let me guess, you use slackware?
>>
>>56133910
The meming gets way out of hand at times. I particularly dislike when Ubuntu is bagged on so much because it's great for newbs.

Having said that, I find Arch and it's community to be one of the most cancerous things in the world, so there's really no amount of anti-arch meming that goes too far imho.
>>
/r/equesting Void experiences

From what the website tells, it seems to be the solution to all problems.
>>
>>56133928
>le slackware is old and outdated meme
>>
>>56133965
Your attitude fits someone who would use slackware
>>
>>56133928
Gentoo > Slackware > Everything Else > BSD > OSX > Windows > Getting fucked with a pineapple > Arch
>>
>>56133928
>>56133971
Found the archfag, guys.
>>
>>56133988
Bag it and tag it. It needs to fuck off back to the wild.
>>
>>56133965
>le
>>
>>56134004
literally how new are you?
>>
>>56134024
You should go home.
>>
>>56133971

And your attitude matches that of someone who doesnt know shit about slackware, aka an arch user
>>
>>56133988
>check op
>archlinux listed as top resource link

Slackfags on suicide watch
>>
>>56134048
I tried slack bout 15 years ago, it was shit
>>
Is anyone familiar with setting up dhcpcd when installing arch linux. Basically I fucked it up slightly...

First I entered the command.

Systemctl enable [email protected]

Thinking I had to type that literally instead of replacing interface with the correct one. I tried eth0 but that was not the correct one.

Tl;Dr

I need to stop dhcpcd service from attempting to enable on none existing interfaces.

Correct interface is named enp3s0 and I enabled it manually using # dhcpcd enp3s0
>>
>>56134117
systemctl enable [email protected]
>>
Arch users are like Americans.

They're convinced they have choice when it reality they only have the illusion of choice.

Arch users (Americans) always say that Arch (America) is for customizability (freedom) when quite a few distros (countries) offer (have) it, too.

Arch users have no control over their devs (politicians)

When someone starts complaining that Arch actually doesn't offer much choice they (Americans) tell you "if you don't like it you can switch distros (giiiiiiiiiit out)"
>>
>>56134151
Yes I have done that, but I'm now wanting to reverse any mistakes I previously made. Is there a config file somewhere which I can manually edit in vi?
>>
>>56134151
Basically I need to check to see whether everything setup correctly before proceeding to install the rest of the system.
>>
>>56134198
just do 'systemctl disable' on whatever you enabled previously
>>
File: 1466528009618.jpg (229KB, 631x671px) Image search: [Google]
1466528009618.jpg
229KB, 631x671px
>>56134188
nope, last time I checked, we defiantly have more freedom than other countries. Every country has their advantages and disadvantages but we're pretty free even when compared to Europe.
>>
File: 1471470312931.png (23KB, 556x375px) Image search: [Google]
1471470312931.png
23KB, 556x375px
I have a new HP notebook computer, with AMD drivers.

i tried install Xubuntu 16.04, 15.04, but it freezes constantly, even with newer linux kernels.

When i try to upgrade the kernel to even newer versions, it says "missing firmare ..."

I'm thinking about install Arch linux, with Arch Linux Architect.

what do you guys think?
>>
>>56134242
>defiantly

spell check your shit, bro. I can't stand that typo, along with "that" when people meant to type "than".

The list of freedoms we have shrinks every fucking year, though. At least Europe has somewhat fair elections. The choices we have are

>which fast food restaurant should we do tonight
>Baskin Robbins
>iPhone or Samsung

There's no real choice here. Last time I checked Social Security and Health Insurance are forced upon us by our overlords along with other stupid taxes.

We get guns. That's about it. Arch gets the AUR.
>>
>>56134228
Aha... lol I'm fucking retarded of course, thx.
>>
>>56133971
Not him, but...
Slackware is pretty decent
>>
>>56134188
Go to germany and scream sieg heil in a public place
Go to germany and stand at salute with your right hand fully extended
Go to russia and admit to being anything but straight in a public place
Go to russia and say anything dissenting in a public place
etc etc

You have no control of the highway system(or what ever you eurocucks want to call it), yet you use it all day
Every distro is a platform you build upon.

Fedora/Gentoo/Debian/Ubuntu/Arch, all give you a basic platform to build upon.
>>
>>56134117
go to /etc/systemd/system/multi-user-.target.wants
and find the dhcp service with the wrong interface
>>
How do I make compton not draw shadows on tint2 and firefox? I already tried:
shadow-exclude = [
"class_g = 'firefox'",
"class_g = 'tint2'"
];
>>
And why the hate? Slack is the least boasting distro out there. My opinion anyway
>>
>>56134321
No country is totally free. Not even ours. That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that Americans actually believe they're one of the few free countries when that's simply not the case anymore.

Go say "fuck niggers" in a predominantly black area.
Go smoke a joint in public

We can play this game all day. No country is perfect but America isn't as free as Americans think.
>>
Hi
I installed ubuntu on a MacBook pro but I'm having problems with the lid
Once is closed the screen never turns back on also I can't change the cmd key to be as the cntrl key
Any ideas ?
>>
>>56134293
>spellcheck
You're brain couldnt red wat he say an unaastan it?
Hu did u red it an unnastan it 2 tiepe a sponse?
>>
>>56134188
America is like Slackware, objectively the best choice despite obvious flaws.
>>
>>56134367
>living in a place that's predominantly niggers
>smoking the herbal jew
Nothing a red-blooded American would do.

Install Gentoo.
>>
>>56134395
nah, Americans are definitely Arch users. They don't shut the fuck up about freedom and choice, respectively, despite being misinformed about other countries and distros, respectively.
>>
>>56134280
Try ubuntu
Why are u using xubuntu? That shot is for old hardware isn't it?
Also from my experience ubuntu is the one that comes with more hardware support.
>>
>>56134293
>check your shit bro
right, bad habit.

>The list of freedoms we have shrinks every fucking year
welcome to the 12st century

>At least Europe has somewhat fair elections
yea, you're right. It's a shame the whiny little SJWs are actively trying to take away their freedoms using this system.

>There's no real choice here. Last time I checked Social Security and Health Insurance are forced upon us by our overlords
Europe too, plus picture>>56134242

>stupid taxes
Have you ever bought anything in Europe? More specifically beer?

this simile>>56134188 is generally wrong. The US definitely has more freedom than many other countries.
>>
>>56134293
>paying taxes 2016
Lol but seriously the struggle is real in america
>>
What's my root password?

I forgot.
>>
>>56134417
Or even drinking alcohol in public.

I can do that in every Asian country I've been to but I can't do that or be drunk in public in this """""free""""" country
>>
>>56134418
>mfw there has been arch shilling this entire thread.
>>
>>56134395
I can admit this, i use slack and am american. Both could use some big improvements
>>
>>56134418
Not shutting the fuck up about freedom = libre you stupid cunt. Arch isn't libre.
>misinformed
Literally every european media outlet runs propaganda all day every day. I say this as a German.
>>
>>56134448
>tfw I don't use arch but I shill for it and act like a fool to make arch users look like asshats
>>
>>56134454
I'm not talking about freedom in Linux distributions. I'm drawing parallels between two dissimilar groups of people.

One yaps about one thing, the other yaps about another.
>>
>>56134419
i'm using xubuntu because it doesn't have unity, and i like xfce (less bloated too).

Xubuntu 16.04 in the beginning was fine, then after a while it started freezing, and only a cold reset would get you out of there.

if you google this problem lots of people have it, so i don't quite know what to do
>>
>>56134464
>They don't shut the fuck up
>>
>>56134442
>he thinks you can't drink in public in America
Where did this meme come from? I live in Louisiana and we drink outside all the fucking time. Unless you're doing it outside a preschool, or acting like a violent nog, you're not going to get arrested.
>>
>>56134484
It's illegal bro. I would definitely get arrested for drinking in public in Indiana.
>>
>>56134469
Well, as a German, I think Arch users represent Afghani migrants because they seem to constantly rape innocent threads for no reason and then claim they were having an emergency of some sort. In reality they're just adolescent pricks who need to get the hell out.
>>
You pol bitching about distros, use which ever fits your fucking needs and stfu you stupid fucks.
>>
Arch is bad
RMS is a philosophical master
I regularly contribute bugs or other patches to software developers.
I exercise 4 hours daily.
I only eat organic products from farms that only use open sourced software,and public domain blueprints

May I get some help?
>>56133734
>>
>>56134484
>>56134500
Brown paper bag, problem solved
>>
>>56134513
>Arch is bad
True
>RMS is a philosophical master
False
>I regularly contribute bugs
False
>I exercise 4 hours daily
False
>I only eat organic products
False

>May I get some help?
No
>>
>>56134507
My fucking sides.
>>
>>56134513
Your unbound conf?
>>
>>56134561
server:
interface: 127.0.0.1
username: "unbound"
directory: "/etc/unbound"
trust-anchor-file: trusted-key.key
root-hints: "/etc/unbound/root.hints"
do-not-query-localhost: no
forward-zone:
name: "."
forward-addr: 127.0.0.1@40
>>
>>56134507
How do you say "you're country is fucked" in German. I just use the short version which is Angela Merkel.
>>
>>56134395
Slackware loves simplicity and hates being overly complicated, just like donald trump.
>>
>>56134576
What about your unbound logs?
Compare dig vs system resolver results.
>>
>>56134685
Make Linux Great Again

>>56134653
Die Dame übernimmt die Rechnung
>>
>>56134716
>The lady accepts the bill
>>
File: fglt in a nutshell.png (65KB, 687x716px) Image search: [Google]
fglt in a nutshell.png
65KB, 687x716px
>this thread
>>
>>56134576
Btw are you sure nothing is overwriting your resolv.conf?
>>
>>56134691
I cant find any logs. via journalctl or in /var/log

>>56134797
i put it in resolvconf, that overwrites resolv. and it is generating it to namserver 127.0.0.1
>>
>>56134794
11/10 it's ok
>>
>>56134794
My sides
>>
im using arch and i like until now, my problem is the next, pls help bois .
i tried to install the "leagueoflegends" package from aur with yaourt but the thing crashed when it was compiling, i dont care to make LoL work, but i want to delete the traces that yaourt left on the diks, per example on the "start menu" there is a league icon, how can i remove all related things to a corrupted/bad compiled package?
>>
>>56135019
>im using arch
b8/8 m8
>>
>>56135019
>i tried to install the "leagueoflegends" package
stopped reading right there.
>>
[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]]
*ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

how do i fix this. i have thinkpad t440 running ubuntu.
im trying to install mint via the live cd.
however anytime i get past grub this happens.
i heard its got someting to do with the intel integrated graphics. but i have no idea how to ifx it.
secureboot is off and boot method is set to bios/legacy.
ive read this can be fixed with an intel microcode update but how in the name of fuck am i doing that on a live image from the usb drive.
>>
>>56135019
>arch
>LeL

Please show yourself out of this thread.
>>
>>56135019
Install Gentoo.
>>
File: 1465205606369.gif (480KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1465205606369.gif
480KB, 500x375px
>>56134794
I fucking love this thread.
>>
>>56135019
>leagueoflegends
Why is everyone so addicted. Is it really that good?
>>
>Linux
Enjoy your Poetteringware. Linux is a walking corpse. I'll be over here with my OpenBSD :)
>>
>>56135300
Enjoy having no software.
>>
File: 1454575295445.png (29KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1454575295445.png
29KB, 625x626px
>>56135300
nice digits tho
>>
>>56135300
>no packages
>can only use hardware from the 90's
>>
>>56135318
Better no software than broken software!
>>
>>56135282
Tried it to see why all the hype. It's shit. Don't even bother installing this crap.
>>
File: dwight.jpg (10KB, 245x225px) Image search: [Google]
dwight.jpg
10KB, 245x225px
>>56135356
False.
>>
>>56134437
root

>>56134368
>MacBook
My idea is that you shouldn't have bought this piece of crap
>>
Is Void Linux any good? Up to date packages?
>>
>>56135400
Literally nobody on /g/ uses Void Linux to be able to tell you despite all the shilling of it as the best distro.

Just see the responses to this post:
>>56133953
>>
how do i load intel microcode through grub?
basically i want it to load intel_ucode.img from /boot/
>>
i started getting this error about 30 minutes ago, it hard locks randomly
I dont really know what to search for, i tried looking for java system locks, but i just came back with peoples trace.
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: java D ffff88035c3f3c58 0 3760 2003 0x00000000
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: ffff88035c3f3c58 0000000000000004 ffff88037c3a0e68 010088042fffad80
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: ffff88041d699f80 0000000000000066 ffff88042fd17840 ffff88037c3a0a80
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: ffff88041d72aa00 ffff88035c3f4000 ffff88037b1c8fb8 ffff88037b1c8fb8
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: Call Trace:
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff816df89c>] schedule+0x3c/0xe0
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff816e207a>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x11a/0x260
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff810cb2a3>] ? current_fs_time+0x23/0x40
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff81331d18>] ? xfs_file_buffered_aio_write+0x78/0x2a0
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff813e57b7>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x17/0x30
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff816e17c4>] down_write+0x24/0x40
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff8133d9d7>] xfs_ilock+0xd7/0x140
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff81331d18>] xfs_file_buffered_aio_write+0x78/0x2a0
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff811da23e>] ? mem_cgroup_commit_charge+0x7e/0x360
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff81331fc4>] xfs_file_write_iter+0x84/0x120
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff811e43a4>] __vfs_write+0xe4/0x140
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff811e512f>] vfs_write+0xaf/0x1c0
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff811e6655>] SyS_write+0x55/0xc0
Aug 17 20:58:51 linux kernel: [<ffffffff816e3872>] entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x1a/0xa4
>>
>>56135519
Maybe you should stop using XFS and start using a sane file system.
>>
What is the default root password for ubuntu? Is it literally a blank password?
>>
>>56135559
Using ext4 on a 40tb raid array, would not be sane in any form
>inb4 zfs
>>
>>56135570
There is none, you need to set up one, but why do you need it?
>>
>>56135583
I wanted to get the same results for other distros. I'm using slackware and wanted to erase my root password after a fresh install and then lock it. What would be the command to erase the root password?
>>
>>56135519
>>56135579
Why are you including "java" in your search if it's the kernel giving you the message? The kernel obviously doesn't care if it's Java or not.

But it seems like java is trying to write something on the disk and hangs up which means your RAID is broken somehow.
>>
>>56133582
I can agree with that.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160817_194134.png (89KB, 1325x530px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160817_194134.png
89KB, 1325x530px
Why are the fonts on github so bad for me? It's literally the only site where the fonts look bad. firefox says in 'Computed' that Segue UI the font being recognized but the fonts tab says that the remote font is breing used. How can I override the remote font?
>>
>>56133582
You forgot about slackware
>>
>>56135951
slackware is shit and for ancient granddads
>>
>>56134794
saved
>>
>>56135966
>I've never used slackware and I want to shitpost my hot opinions
>>
>>56135300
>OpenBSD
cuck
>>
File: 1448062055624.jpg (64KB, 1180x842px) Image search: [Google]
1448062055624.jpg
64KB, 1180x842px
>>56134794
This image perfectly sums up /dpt/. Excellent job anon.
>>
>>56135443
I'm going to test it out in a VM for a few months and see how it goes.
>>
>>56133582
>Void
meme distro literally nobody uses

>Exherbo
never heard of it, probably 10 people use it

>Funtoo
For those who found gentoo too difficult to install

>Devuan
Literally Debian without systemd install
>>
"In the Beginning was the Command Line" by Neal Stephenson sums pretty much the freedom GNU/Linux powerusers retain and what Windows lose.

Is a short read, try it http://www.cryptonomicon.com/command.zip
>>
>>56136083
Exherbo is a good distro, when you go to their page you see in what improves from Gentoo. Also I use Devuan and can tell avoids bugs debian refuses to patch.
>>
>>56135490
install intel-ucode

If arch then # pacman -S intel-ucode

Then use grub automatic method

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode#Enabling_Intel_microcode_updates
>>
>>56133730
This seems reasonable guys.
>>
Is there anyone to add dynamic window manager functionality to a DE?
>>
>>56136215
Very carefully.
>>
>>56136215
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>56136279
Sorry, I realize I worded it kind of stupidly.

For example a wm like i3 automatically resizes windows and arranges them. Could this function be added to a DE?
>>
>>56136317
Probably by something like wmctrl and wmutils.
>>
>>56136317
pytyle
>>
I have an AMD 6750M in a MacBook Pro 15 Late 2011 (I know). I want to learn how to do more than surf the Internet and pirate music, so I'm getting my feet wet with GNOME Desktop on Ubuntu 16.04 (like real noob, still working on understanding apt and repositories). Here's my dilemma:

In order to boot past a blank purple screen, I had to edit /boot/grub/custom.cfg to include this bit which I just found randomly when googling:

outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

Previously, I was booting in recovery mode and typing this in every time.

Anyway, this solution still seems like a bandaid just to get things running. (I have also looked into flgrx, but cant seem to get that working) I'm unable to use dual monitors currently, and i think it's a symptom of my issue. What can I do to make my OS play nice with AMD?

tl;dr Please help make 2011 MacBook AMD shit work with Ubuntu 16.04
>>
>>56136584
Sell the shit book to another macfag and buy a thinkpad.
>>
I'm thinking in buying a tablet/ebook, want to install GNU/Linux on it.

Where can I check the compatible hardware? And, which DE/WM is suited for that?

I prefer to configure things myself, so not scared to get my hands dirty.
>>
i'm upgrading ubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04 right now.
it's been stuck preparing cabextract for several hours now and i can't open terminal. what do i do?
>>
File: Ancient proverb.jpg (59KB, 470x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient proverb.jpg
59KB, 470x600px
Trying to get audio working on my QEMU VM.
    export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa QEMU_AUDIO_TIMER_PERIOD=0

this doesn't work
 ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1041:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
alsa: Could not initialize DAC
alsa: Failed to open `default':
alsa: Reason: Device or resource busy

how am I supposed to get audio working? I've tried both alsa and pa as drivers
>>
>>56136317
Check the tiling pasta in the OP for a list.
>>
>Install Debian on VirtualBox
>Set everything up correctly
>Attempt to login
>"Password invalid"
>Go back to root, reset password to 5 spaces.
>"Password invalid"

Anyone else get this before?
>>
>>56137358
dude like, you know, what if, like, it was using your password to encrypt your password?
>>
>>56137276
I could never get audio working with Windows XP so I gave up. I didn't even get errors messages.
>>
>>56137439
did you download and install the virtual audio drivers?
>>
>>56137396
Guess I never thought of it that way.

And looking back at my post, I probably should've gone to bed earlier last night.

left out-
>Login to root, reset account password to 5 spaces.
>Attempt to login as user again
>"Password invalid"
>>
>>56137472
>last night
i think you mean "tonight"
>>
>>56133495
this
>>
I recently switched from Windows 7 to Manjaro and I am liking it so far, but the only problem that I am having right now is getting the font in Firefox to look like how it did on Windows. I tried changing the font in preferences, but it doesn't seem to change anything and I tried looking up solutions, but they haven't worked for me.

What should I do to fix this?
>>
>1991+17
>USING LONUX
>>
>>56137466
No, where are they?
>>
>>56137490
Eh, guess you got a point.
Anyway, thanks for helping find the solution to my problem!
Night!
>>
Manjaro KDE or Antergos KDE?
>>
>>56134242
>defiantly
apt-get install aspell
>>
>>56137097
I am figuratively dying.

please help me solve my problem
>>
>>56137522
What exactly do you want to change about the fonts?
>>
Hey just wondering. Noob web developer here. Is it possible to sync up 2 computers running Ubuntu so that at any moment I can pick up where I left off on my desktop, on my laptop?

Currently these two appliances don't even have the same IP.
>>
>>56137522
Either install infinality and use the ms fonts preset or set up your own font replacements, look up font configuration on the arch wiki.
>>
>>56137670
Change the font back to Times New Roman like how it was on Windows before I switched. I mainly find it easier to read. Right now, I think the current font is Arial.
>>
>>56137732
I will look into that. Thank you.
>>
>>56137736
<fontconfig>
<match target="pattern">
<test qual="any" name="family"><string>sans-serif</string></test>
<edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="same"><string>Times New Roman</string></edit>
</match>
<match target="font">
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit name="hinting" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign"><const>hintslight</const></edit>
<edit name="lcdfilter" mode="assign"><const>lcddefault</const></edit>
<edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>rgb</const></edit>
</match>
</fontconfig>

You will need that font installed. I think there is an mscore fonts package. Your fonts will look like dogshit but that's how they are in Windows.
>>
>>56137718
You could use SSH.
Or git, but SSH would be simpler for just rsync'ing through that
>>
>>56137777
oh that goes in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
>>
>>56137736
>>56137777
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-ms-fonts/
>>
Why does Antergos automatically boot into Gnome? I thought the live CD had 5 or 6 DEs to choose from?
>>
>>56134794
this
>>
>>56137830
That just might be the live cd.
>>
>>56134794
First time in one of these threads, this sums up my experience.
>>
>>56137830
lmao why do people recommend this shit?

This live CD is so broken.
>>
>>56135113
>ive read this can be fixed with an intel microcode update but how in the name of fuck am i doing that on a live image from the usb drive.
It should be done automagically, try to get a newer version of the live cd
>>
wget / youtube / mpv / ffplay

how to play youtube video with wget and mpv?

the wifi ap seems to trottle youtube (and other popular sites)

for example, 4chan webms are slow to play in chromium but download with no problem with wget at full speed

can't use youtube-dl but can get the video url with youtube-dl -g

something like this wget $(youtube-dl -g "$@") | ffplay ? (how to play it while downloading?)

/ another question /
how to tell bash NOT to put something in the background when (for example) inputing a long google url with a bunch of &
>>
>>56137924
I'm trying to install it and it's just as buggy and awful.

I thought this was the """""sane""""" alternative to Arch? This is ridiculous.
>>
>>56138114
That was my experience with it. I said fuck it half way through.
>>
>>56138126
Yeah, fuck this. It completely fucked my partitions as well. Back to Manjaro I go.
>>
Has anybody tried Gentoo on a smartphone via Gentoo RAP? How well did it go?
>>
>>56138057
mpv <url>
>>
>>56138057
>>how to tell bash NOT to put something in the background when (for example) inputing a long google url with a bunch of &
use quotes

wget "<url>"
>>
>>56136891
Surface Pro 2s have decent specs and are about $300 on ebay. As for DEs I would recommend something like LXQt because it's lightweight and consumes less battery.
>>
Need help with wifi while Installing from a Debian live CD.

when I tried mint months ago, I had zero issues installing from its live cd. Now with Debian, I am basically finding out from google that Debian Live doesn't inherently enable wireless connectivity. Google has been far less helpful in helping me figure out how to turn it on.

Any ideas? Wired connection is not an option, undortunately
>>
>>56137928
This, it's easier just to install Arch
>>
>>56138150
i recall some anon installed it on a HTC HD2, though I don't recall the installation method
>>
>>56138272
>Any ideas? Wired connection is not an option, undortunately
Debian doesn't ship with proprietary wireless drivers, so you have to load them manually
Much more trouble than what's it worth tbqh
>>
>>56138151
>can't use youtube-dl
>>
File: Screenshot_20160818_020329.png (180KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160818_020329.png
180KB, 1366x768px
>>56137670
>>56137777
>>56137732
>>56137814
So I've been messing around with the packages and settings and I have been able to change my main DE which I do like now, but not convert it to how it looked like without it looking absolutely terrible. I'm not at wit's end or anything, but I'm not sure how else to proceed from here. Pic related shows what it looks like for me and I don't know if it looks different for anyone else. Of course, the current font is something I can get used to.

I'm still new to this distribution and using GNU/Linux in general, so I don't know if that's limiting me. Thank you for the help. I learned a lot just from managing my DE.
>>
>>56138600
why?
>>
File: unity.png (910KB, 1415x1688px) Image search: [Google]
unity.png
910KB, 1415x1688px
Are there any plugins/applets for XFCE that would allow me to replicate Unity's locally integrated menus in the window title bar (when the window is not maximized), and its top panel window button+title+menu integration (when the window IS maximized)? Pic related. The closest thing I've been able to find so far are two plugins bundled together in a package called "Windowck", which allow for window button/title integration with the top bar when the window is maximized. However, unfortunately, it lacks any sort of menu integration. To this end, I've tried out something called "TopMenu", but this a global menu akin to OSX that relies on focus/unfocus as opposed to maximized/minimized. It also doesn't always display the title of a window, presumably when the window in question doesn't actually have a menu (like a browser). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to change the behavior of TopMenu, but maybe there's something I'm missing here.
>>
>>56136317

Your desktop environment has a window manager. Replace it with a tiling window manager or a window manager which can both tile/stack.
>>
Any good pdf-readers?
Gnome, OpenSUSE
>>
>>56139382
how the hell should i know
it's someone else's ap

nice trolling btw
>>
Does anyone know how to add global startup notifications for Openbox?

Right now I only get the special "busy" cursor for programs where it's specified in the "rc.xml" config file.
I just want to get a visual hint when launching a video file with mpv from my file manager.
>>
>>56139540
>nice trolling btw
this faggot claims he can't use youtube-dl
you quoted his stupidness
so tell me, why the hell would someone not be able to use youtube-dl?
>>
>>56139437
Evince it was called, afair
>>
>>56136083
>Literally Debian without systemd install
>implying it's a critique, not a praise
>>
>>56139587
>stupidness
yep, troll

>so tell me, why the hell would someone not be able to use youtube-dl?
again, how the hell should i know

he said in the first post it's the access point that is funky and for some reason wget works

the only stupid here is you
>>
>>56136127
>Exherbo is a good distro, when you go to their page you see in what improves from Gentoo.

Documentation:

>Non-Problem: There's nothing like emerge --ask.

>Rationale: the paludis client is non-interactive. If someone is making an interactive client, there are much better ways of doing it than the limited functionality that emerge --ask provides.

A U T I S M
>>
>>56133452
WHO IS THIS MEME GUY IN TEH PICTUE?
WHY HE FAT?
>>
>>56139766
>wanting to use sysvinit
>>
>>56139888
>wanting to have an init system
>thats way more than an init system
Shepherd
>>
File: 1471380159993.png (335KB, 831x1234px) Image search: [Google]
1471380159993.png
335KB, 831x1234px
>>56135300
Why does BSD attracts cucks so much?

>Use BSD license
Companies steal code, closes it off and tells you to fuck yourself

>BSD User-Developer experience
Literally get hacked by own Project leader

>Placebo security
Un-audited ports, Nothing else runs in BSD without ports

>Compatibility
Some BSD cannot even have non-free codec packs. Not many proprietary software and drivers run on *BSD, specially OpenBSD. Many Realtek and Broadcom devices will never run because of its non-free only drivers.

>NO active development
Except for PC-BSD, there is no live *BSD desktop. OpenBackdoor removed Linux compatibility AND WINE. BSD market share is not rising.

>Less softwares than Linux
Cannot even perform Vt-d virtualization on windows guests. (Good for nothing). Behyve is miles behind KVM/QEMU.

>Community
Non-existent.
Few buttflustered autists that mostly comprise of mactoddlers (OSX is BSD :-DDDDDD).
FreeBSD is actually getting better though. I hope PC-BSD catches on but their primary goal is to fight own BSD counterparts' autistic community.

>Documentation
FreeBSD wiki has a good documentation but lacks contents.

>OpenBSD
OpenBackdoor is specially the meme of BSD community. It;'s a freetard BSD (Not even freetard Linux, that's less autism). No ZFS, no MAC, no jails, no non-free drivers, no non-free codecs, no non-free softwares, no Vt-d virtualization, no Linux compatibility, no WINE, project leader is a hostile autist that never grew out of teenage edge, no security in ports, non-existent community.

I am aware that many people use OpenBSD for nothing more than a router, and for this it indeed ideal. For the use of a router, extended access controls would not provide much benefit. I wrote this argument however because many people seem convinced that OpenBSD has suerior security in all instances and including as a network server or user operating system.
>>
>>56140032
>muh unix philosophy
>muh minimalism
>>
>>56140054
>le corporations steal code maymay xD
Actually, GNU cucks steal code from BSD projects.
>>
>>56140054
>image taken from a blog called trollaxor
>>
File: 1468635375953.jpg (153KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468635375953.jpg
153KB, 720x960px
>>56140079
>BSD code "stolen"
No, it's just your
cuck license

>>56140096
>posts on /g/
And?
>>
>friendly
New thread, you trolls.
>>
File: hakurei_reimu_chibi.jpg (460KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
hakurei_reimu_chibi.jpg
460KB, 800x800px
>>56133701
As someone who maintains a few packages in Debian systemd makes my life way easier. You can set up interactions between services/other packages in a sane way, or at least a little bit saner than LSB init.
>>
>>56140107
>le cuck license maymay
Show me proof of corporations suing developers of BSD code on grounds of copyright and winning that lawsuits.
fun fact: you can't.
Also
>he doesn't recognice a GNAA troll
Okey, kiddo.
>>
>>56140148
Try agian:
>Companies steal code, closes it off and tells you to fuck yourself
>>
>>56140171
How they can close BSD code if the original developers have copies of it?
You mean: Companies take BSD code, wrap their own code around the BSD one and close the code.
In practice they are closing their own code. BSD code is there.
>>
>>56140202
>Companies take BSD code, wrap their own code around the BSD one and close the code.
Exactly.
Tldr: Companies steal code, closes it off and tells you to fuck yourself
>>
>>56140218
>companies steals the code they develop
How the fuck can you steal to yourself?
>>
File: 4L_Y5TEVElQ.jpg (1MB, 2942x2942px) Image search: [Google]
4L_Y5TEVElQ.jpg
1MB, 2942x2942px
why cant i make an extended partition with Gparted? its unallocated. im trying to prepare for an architect install.
>>
>>56140409
methinks you need a partition table
>>
>>56140409
Because extended partition cannot be the first one, afair. Create a primary one first and the extended one next to it.
Also >using GUI
>>
Any experience with Solus?

Looks decent for getting steam with updated libraries, but not yet taking the plunge since they are working on some drivers i would require (amd), if i were to use it, would probably be on its own partition, not my main.
>>
File: IMG_5259.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5259.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>56140436
what do i do

>>56140445
it isn't the first one though? i've halved the NTFS partition. the unallocated partition is what i'm trying to make extended. >pic related is how it looked when it was working
>>
File: 1468129303837.jpg (48KB, 472x315px) Image search: [Google]
1468129303837.jpg
48KB, 472x315px
How can I keep track of the things that I manually installed/removed?
>>
>>56140079
If GNU would steal code from BSD, it actually would make BSD the cucks. Think before posting. :^)
>>
>>56140067
>muh create an init system that takes over other things aswell
>>
>>56140588
On which package manager? On debian look into checkinstall.
>>
I installed BlackArch on Arch and now I can't remove it. What do?
>>
File: 1449175933862.png (361KB, 1677x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1449175933862.png
361KB, 1677x1050px
Slow thread is slow.
>>
File: 1463281306758.jpg (81KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1463281306758.jpg
81KB, 640x1136px
I need to run Viber for work related reasons.
Which is best option?

1. use viber for windows under WINE
2. use viber for linux
>>
>>56133452
Ok /g/, I'm not a 1337 poweruser so I'll just lay it out:
>have mint installation on a SSD
>want to reuse it for a solus installation on a different computer
>don't want to format my mint installation
>instead move it to another HDD to use in a backup device

My concern is whether simply dd'ing the installation to the HDD will bork the OS when I try to boot it in the other machine. Otherwise, is there anything else I can do to achieve the above?
>>
File: gnuhurd.png (67KB, 759x562px) Image search: [Google]
gnuhurd.png
67KB, 759x562px
>>56133452
I am trying out the GNU HURD. I hope that it becomes more usable some day, microkernels are neat. Also, it has an awesome name.

"It's time [to] explain the meaning of "Hurd". "Hurd" stands for "Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons". And, then, "Hird" stands for "Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth". We have here, to my knowledge, the first software to be named by a pair of mutually recursive acronyms."
>>
>>56141558
dd'ing from one partition to another should work but it's up to the boot loader to find and boot into OS. When you do grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg, it should find and add Mint.
>>
>>56141590
sadly still behind as fuck. i could deal with the performance loss, but the hardware and sound support is still completely shit, makes it unusable in anything but a research or testing system

also

>supporting anything GNU especially GNOME and GTK+
>$current_year
>>
>>56141498
moar sause ples
>>
File: 2016-08-18-13:11:48-screenshot.png (442KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-18-13:11:48-screenshot.png
442KB, 1366x768px
WHY THE FUCK DO I GET THIS SHITTY MPV UI
pressing o does nothing
here is my mpv.conf, it's also only using software acceleration
i just want a seekbar
>>
>>56141743
>mpv.conf
volume-max=600
hwdec=vaapi
force-window=yes
idle=once
vo=opengl-hq:deband=no
osc=yes
>>
>>56141664
I don't like GNOME3 or GTK3, but I do like most of the other GNU software. GNU Emacs is nice.
>>
File: 1470999278292.jpg (158KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1470999278292.jpg
158KB, 1280x800px
>>
Why do people still use Slackware? That's for Luddites who refuse to use a true distribution like arch linux. It takes an hour to install anything on Slackware because ancient thing can't even handle dependency
>>
so, I just migrated to linux and installed the last version of ubuntu on my desktop.

i want to have a full understanding of the system. where should I begin ?
>>
>>56141762
i know, some of it is really awesome
i just hate the philosophy of the fsf and rms and some of GNU developers (mainly like mentioned GNOME and GTK developers), its just "only black and white exists" thinking, even sacrificing performance and usability for it

did u look at GuixSD (its like nixos)? its great and has a lot of potential
>>
Fedoram aut Voidam aut Alpineam? Adiuva me constituo.
>>
I am missing an GUI for wallpaper changing in System settings on KDE (Manjaro). It seems it happened after sys upgrade.
What is the name of this package so I can install it again? I dont even know how this happened.
>>
File: 1451463479383.jpg (192KB, 1056x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1451463479383.jpg
192KB, 1056x1044px
>>56141498
anyone?
>>
>>56142210
>breasts
Disgusting
>>
File: m8x1cwHMQG1ql9h78o1_500.jpg (195KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
m8x1cwHMQG1ql9h78o1_500.jpg
195KB, 500x674px
>>56142237
Then this is more to your taste.
So is it better to run a propriety program under WINE? or run it's native propriety counter part on linux?
>>
>>56142276
No, no, that won't do at all. I have much more normative tastes.
>>
>>56141915
It will be really cool once they port Guix to Hurd. You would be able to use GuixSD to create a Hurd system.
>>
>>56142293
Please anon no need to hide your lust for his boipussy.
>>
>>56139120
looks better than windows fonts to me but looks like you didn't follow the instructions given. You either do not have the ms fonts installed or you have not set them to be used, both steps were provided. I would recommend leaving it as it is because your rendering is 100 times better than windows.
The distro is not limiting you, quite honestly it seems like you could be better at following instructions. You were given the steps here to set Times New Roman as the default font, and told where to find more info on the arch wiki.
>>
>>56134321
>using Germany as a comparison
Most of the European countries aren't police states like Germany, why even bring it up? If anything Germany would be more like Windows 10.
>>
>>56141498
If there's a linux version if it, use that. I see no point in complicating things with wine.
>>
>try to install GNOME on Gentoo
>the only error I can see is 'emake failed' because I'm in the command line
fug.
>>
>>56140234
Thanks to BSD you get crippleware, you cuck.
>>
>>56142719
Read the build log that it gives you at the end.
>>
>>56141905
By watching some tutorials, here >>56133452

Learning Ubuntu Linux is pretty good.
>>
File: Viber-logo.png (14KB, 300x155px) Image search: [Google]
Viber-logo.png
14KB, 300x155px
>>56142480
The reason because it's Viber.
And because native application for linux can get escalated privileges, while windows can't.
And by killing the WINE program viber is killed as well.
While with native linux there could come with some backdoor.
Or am I just being paranoid?
I even bought a disposable SIM card
>>
File: Official_Mossad_logo.png (109KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Official_Mossad_logo.png
109KB, 350x350px
>>56143011
>being paranoid
No you're not.
It's Mossad botnet for blackmailing.
>>
>>56142308
ehm, guix is already ported to the hurd, its the first packagemanager running natively on hurd

its just that hurd isnt production ready, same with guixsd
>>
File: 1294440247613.jpg (9KB, 251x240px) Image search: [Google]
1294440247613.jpg
9KB, 251x240px
Is there something like yaourt for debian so I can automate the process of installing shit from github rather than cloning, genning, and installing?

>it's not that hard, faggot
no shit it isn't hard but I don't get a whole lot out of repeatedly doing this every time I have a new system.
>>
>>56143166
Make a shell script for git and checkinstall.
>>
File: fonts.png (149KB, 1178x637px) Image search: [Google]
fonts.png
149KB, 1178x637px
Why does this font look so bad? Firefox in the background and chromium on the top right. In firefox if I disable webfonts it looks ok but this messes other sites up a little.
Can I override specific webfonts in my font config?
>>
>>56143166
Use pacman, dont use shitty os' that make everything harder for you to do simple maintenance tasks
>>
>>56143186
I dont see an issuse
>>
>>56142448
I'm leaving it alone. It looks fine to me now. When I tried installing the ms-fonts, I didn't know how to do it at first, but I learned about yaourt after some searching. I didn't know how to work with packages before. Also, there was something about the fonts being "out of date" or "potentially dangerous" when I was installing it.

I'm not trying to make excuses or anything. I'm just slow at this.
>>
>>56143330
Thanks, that really answered the question.
>>
>>56143343
How can i help you if there is nothing wrong in the image you provided?
>>
>>56134024
>it was IRONIC, UGH
>>
>>56143357
Open the image in a new tab and look at the image in full size. I also asked a question which is not dependent on you seeing the problem.
>>
>>56143370
>meme-arrowing incorrectly
>using all caps
kys
>>
>>56143383
>Why does this font look so bad?
>You don't need to know
Full color autism.
>>
>>56143572
Is your reading comprehension really that bad?
>Can I override specific webfonts in my font config?
>I must see to be able to answer this
>>
Can someone please explain why some distros are used in particulsr situations, over another certain distro?
I'm a complete noob but want to convert my laptop.
I saw a flow chart on google and it directed me to either ubuntu or elementary os. Thanks
-
>>
>>56133452
How do I into apt-pinning so I can grab a few packages from unstable and throw them into testing?

I need libmarco-private0 to resolve a dependency, but it's not in testing.
>>
File: 1469299032143.png (325KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1469299032143.png
325KB, 382x417px
Hi, this might possibly be the best thread for it.

I'm starting my software engineering course, and I'm looking to install Ubuntu.

I just found out you can actually run it like a virtual machine using Bash in this brand new Windows Anniversary Update, which is fucking fishy as fuck.

Is that update fine or is a dual boot a much better option?
>>
>>56143180
I might do that then, cheers anon.

>>56143269
fuck off
>>
>>56143606
You ask two questions and get upset when people try to answer the wrong one.
There's reading comprehension, and then there's just being shitty at asking questions, like most autists are.
>>
So I decided to move from windows 10 to ubuntu on my laptop after a brief encouter with raspbian piqued my interest. While I was dual bootING, ubuntu had no problem connecting to both my wifi and my enet. However, now that I've fully wiped windows 10 off my laptop, it's unable to connect via either method.

Any advice on how to fix the matter?
>>
>>56143666
>arch
>install helper(in this case pacaur)
>pacaur -u --devel
That simple
>>
>>56133452
How can I make vim work with camel case? is there a setting? I mean like treats a capital as a new word
>>
>>56143624
Some come with customizations and/or packages and/or security setups suited to particular situations.
For most 'regular' distros the main differences are the desktop environment it comes with, the package manager it uses, and the release style (rolling or long term support aka LTS). For beginners the first is the most obvious and immediate. The second isn't important, they all do the job, and the third is just a preference, LTS aims for stability but can end up with older packages after a while.
One of the *buntus would be a fine place to start, the all have different DEs so have a look at the options. Elementary is reportedly pretty buggy.
>>
>>56143725
Oh I see I'm sorry I was rude anon, you just responded to the wrong post about somebody asking if they should use arch.
>>
>>56143721
Please give output of ifconfig and rfkill list.
>>
>>56133452
Is there a linux distro that is simple like openbsd?
>>
>>56143719
If I am asking a question about why my fonts look bad then you telling me you think they look fine is not helping or answering either of the questions. I asked a pretty specific question, it seems like you just can't/won't help and are just shitposting.
>>
>>56143774
Gentoo
>>
>>56143774
Slackware, probably
>>
>>56143774
gentoo
>>
>>56143794
>>56143797
>>56143803
Thanks guys. I just want to be able to rely on the system docs and script things easy
>>
>>56143166
AUR is heavily inspired by BSD's ports. I don't think there are many options for Debain

Although I wish ArchBSD was a thing but BSD community is autistic
>>
>>56143794
>>56143797
>>56143803
Btw why doesn't gentoo have a proper installer like openbsd?
>>
>>56143844
Because gentoo wasn't the correct answer to your question
>>
>>56143844
Define "proper installer"
>>
>>56143748
Tyvm. Ill try out a buntu and ill report back to here.
>>
>>56143789
You asked TWO questions. Don't post if you realize you're only interested in one; that's what backspace is for.
Assume, for a second, that I actually want to help you: You posted a screenshot containing two browsers, but didn't say which one you found disagreeable. So I still don't know what the problem is, which I would have to in order to provide a solution. Your second question then appears to ask for a workaround when I would like to give you a solution, which I think would be better.
By the way, I'm not even >>56143330, but I guess they won't be able to help you either now.
>>
>>56143889
can press enter and have a working installation in one minute
>>56143852
what is?
>>
>>56143907
Fuck off clueless retard.
>>
>>56143913
You kinda have to press enter to install Gentoo as well.
Gentoo being a source based distro it's going to take longer
>>
>>56143934
Make me <3
>>
>>56143660
Bash for Windows isn't exactly perfect. The "Windows Subsystem for Linux" reads native linux binaries and converts their system calls into Windows equivalents. But they haven't ironed out all the kinks, and they haven't translated everything yet.

So yeah, it is native bash running native Linux binaries, but it isn't perfect. In order to hide the imperfections, they've focused on the most used commands/calls first. It's also aimed towards developers, so developer tools are also likely prioritized to work well.

I haven't tried it myself, I just listened to multiple talk/interview things that have happened since it was announced. I'd say that it probably works well enough for basic tasks, but if you're gonna actually make Linux applications or do anything complicated, you probably want to run a full GNU/Linux OS.
>>
I am curious. How do sys admins manage headless linux server without X pr GUI installed on them?

Do they ssh into them and run the GUI on the client which they use to ssh?
Or do they ssh and use the terminal exclusively?
Because if you need to install and configure many applications then using the terminal exclusively would be retarded as hell (millions of hard to remember commands to achieve in 10 hours what could be done with gui in 10 minutes).
So how is it done then?
>>
>>56143936
Just press enter I should have said. Having to compile everything sounds like a waste of time. Are there really no linux distros as user friendly as open bsd?
>>
>>56144000
Binary distros are not simple
>>
>>56143968
>Because if you need to install and configure many applications then using the terminal exclusively would be retarded as hell (millions of hard to remember commands to achieve in 10 hours what could be done with gui in 10 minutes).
u wot m8
That literally requires ONE command issued via CLI, but millions of clicks using GUIs (if not using a deployment system).
>>
>>56143968
>millions of hard to remember commands
That's a weird way of saying "one."
>>
>>56144016
>>56144049
You can't just use apt-get for everything, what if the application requires heavy configuration?
>>
>>56144015
And a distro is not simple by virtue of being source based. Gentoo official install is stage three anyway.
>>
>>56143968
If you need to install and configure many applications then using GUI would be retarded as hell (thousands of ugly, broken, uncomplete or all of the above windows to achieve in 10 hours what could be done with config files in 10 minutes)
>>
I'm getting into linux - currently using ubuntu on webserver & debian on laptop. Find myself constantly googling the same things over and over till they stick.. Are there any good syntax books or something to have as a physical tool?
>>
>>56144122
except this argument doesn't work, gui was invented for a reason, after people got tired of punching shit into the console
>>
>>56144065
What kind of server are you thinking about? If it's a common scenario, configuration is probably copied over and just slightly adapted, and if it's a special case, I guess command line is faster than GUI. (That's one reason to like the GUI: It will remain much more responsive if the server/connection is busy and is generally less demanding.)
>>
>>56144139
/ reference. sorry that was badly worded.

basically I am learning stuff and how it works but only really by repetition - want to learn more efficiently if possible.
>>
>>56144142
I actually wish terminal based installers were a thing in windows.
You don't have to look for legit source or malware toolbars to disable
>>
>>56144142
>people
Probably not the sysadmin kind of people though.
>>
->
-> >>56144206
->
>>
>>56144142
This is literally how it is.
GUI are only useful for retards who can't spend a minute to take a glance at a man page. These retards constitute the majority of users now, but they don't manage servers.
>>
>>56144155
>much more responsive
How is using vim and your package manager going to affect anything? A gui would tax the server more then any cli
>>
>>56144335
Brain fart. I meant CLI.
>>
>>56137561
tanks fell oh a non-e moose persimmon
>>
File: Screenshot_2.jpg (45KB, 795x594px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.jpg
45KB, 795x594px
>>
can someone explain to me how ffmpeg could fail to write to a passlogfile just because it's being run from a shell function?
it creates the file, but leaves it blank unless i run it outside of a function (everything else the same)
is this an ffmpeg bug? is there something about functions i'm missing? how does this even make sense?

ps. ffmpeg will output other files just fine, it's only the passlogfiles that aren't working
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.