[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 30

File: 1458642681640.png (109KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1458642681640.png
109KB, 800x800px
Previously on: >>56144206

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
Ubuntu Cinnamon/Systemd/Wayland master race reporting in :^)
>>
I want to switch to gentoo/linkek, but all the ubuntu flavors I tried (xfce, kde, unity, gnome) look ugly as piss. Are there any ok looking Distros that aren't buggy?
>>
Why can't I boot netinstall Debian from usb stick on an old Asus netbook? It stuck after the boot screen only "_" blinking what the fuck linux...
>>
>>56158568
Themes are distro independant and finding your favourite theme is a DIY thing

>>56158593
Go install Ubuntu mini
>>
>>56158631
>Go install Ubuntu mini
I don't want Ubuntu though.
>>
I have an AMD 6750M in a MacBook Pro 15 Late 2011 (I know). I want to learn how to do more than surf the Internet and pirate music, so I'm getting my feet wet with GNOME Desktop on Ubuntu 16.04 (like real noob, still working on understanding apt and repositories). Here's my dilemma:

In order to boot past a blank purple screen, I had to edit /boot/grub/custom.cfg to include this bit which I just found randomly when googling:

outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

Previously, I was booting in recovery mode and typing this in every time.

Anyway, this solution still seems like a bandaid just to get things running. (I have also looked into flgrx, but cant seem to get that working) I'm unable to use dual monitors currently, and i think it's a symptom of my issue. What can I do to make my OS play nice with AMD?

tl;dr Please help make 2011 MacBook AMD shit work with Ubuntu 16.04
>>
>>56158708
Have you tried other distros or is it Ubuntu problem only?
Normally you don't have to mess with grub unless you are dualbooting or anything in Macs
>>
File: 55586358.jpg (114KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
55586358.jpg
114KB, 400x400px
Just saying.
>>
>>56158874
You generated quite a wonderful meme there
>>
>>56158886
Shills like you and >>56158423 make a lot of memes yourselves.

Go shill and harass people somewhere else. If people don't want systemd, suck it.
>>
>>56158909
>If people don't want systemd
What if they do?
>>
Guys is $200 a good deal on an used UX21e?
>>
>>56158909
I am >>56158423
Tell me 1 (ONE) good reason why I should bother with a different init than the one I am using
>>
I am this guy >>56158909 again. The shilling and harassment from sytemd trolls has to stop.

We don't trust RedHat devs to have good intentions and don't want to use systemd. Yet we suffer from trolls like >>56158936

This cancer is breaking the community.
>>
>>56158960
Respond to >>56158955

I am curious
>>
>>56158939
http://www.linlap.com/asus_zenbook_ux21e
>>
File: 1.png (73KB, 618x618px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
73KB, 618x618px
>>56158967
You are baiting, you won't stop. I've seen how threads are derailed because of trolls like you.

Don't bother on writing back, I won't reply.
>>
>>56158960
What trolls? Some newcomer installs Ubuntu and has to remove systemd just because some NEET online told him to?

>>56158990
>baiting
I am genuinely curious. You are not going to reply because you don't have a proper reason to give >>56158955
>>
>>56159008
Why does he have to justify it to you for his opinion to be valid?
>>
>>56159021
>he
I*

Since you are the one who claimed, the burden of proof is onto you
>>
>>56158955
from a user perspective, you don't really notice the difference between systemd and any other init system.
systemd is a complete mess crammed into pid 1, however.
this is pretty bad if you're not a desktop user who might be able to suck it up if the whole system crashes, but a server sysadmin, where money is at stake if your init crashes and fucks the uptime.

I don't blame you for using systemd, since most distros come with it preinstalled and changing init systems is a pain in the arse unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
It sucks that it's so widespread though.
>>
is it possible to dd only system files and exclude everything else?
>>
>>56159029
>didn't notice new IP
>>
Any good read / book / online about security in Linux ?
>>
>>56159031
>from a user perspective, you don't really notice the difference between systemd and any other init system.
Good start
>systemd is a complete mess crammed into pid 1, however.
>this is pretty bad if you're not a desktop user
I am a desktop user, I run Linux exclusively. I don't run windows
>if your init crashes
Other inits are crash proof?
>I don't blame you for using systemd, since most distros come with it preinstalled and changing init systems is a pain in the arse unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
Nice that we agree in some points

>>56159038
I know the trick too
>>
>>56159050
>I know the trick too
Sure bud. Whoever you think I am the point remains.
>>
>>56158126
Just posting to say pic fukken saved
>>
>>56158126
Ever since I switched to manjaro I've had ridicioulous fan noise even though my cpu isn't even warm. How do I fix this?
>>
>>56159141
More info needed.
kernel, DE, hardware etc.
>>
>>56159141
post inxi -Fz (make sure you installed recommended packages)
>>
>>56159146
>>56159157
System:    Host: Magi-07 Kernel: 4.4.13-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
Bios: American Megatrends v: 1302 date: 11/14/2012
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 2100 MHz
4: 1400 MHz 5: 2100 MHz 6: 1400 MHz 7: 2100 MHz 8: 1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 6770]
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 driver: radeon
Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 C-Media CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio] driver: snd_oxygen
Card-3 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-4 Logitech Webcam C310 driver: USB Audio
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.13-1-MANJARO
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8168
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2628.5GB (0.3% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_SDSSDP12 size: 128.0GB
ID-3: USB /dev/sdd model: My_Passport_0810 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 16G used: 6.4G (45%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 19.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 48.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 183 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 1023.6/11922.5MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0

Please don't laugh too much about my specs
>>
>>56159050
>Other inits are crash proof?
they're not, but systemd is really huge compared to other init systems, one reason being the feature creep of the project.
All kinds of things beside the init system are in pid 1 too if you use systemd, that means if any of these programs crashes, all of them do. Bugs can't be completely prevented on any init system, but inviting a whole load of other software into your pid is just asking for trouble.
>>
>>56159184
Sorry to detract from you problem, just curious...
Is that up to date? I'm using kubuntu 16.04 with backports and I have plasma 5.6.5.

Have you llooked on arch/debian/gentoo wikis for you graphics card? There is a kernel line option called dpm (dynamic power management, I think) which solved fan problems with radeon but that was implemented by default in kernel 3.12 or something. You could try it manually though to see if it helps, maybe there is a regression somewhere.
>>
File: Finished that backlog yet?.gif (46KB, 267x199px) Image search: [Google]
Finished that backlog yet?.gif
46KB, 267x199px
So after realizing I wanted to back to arch, I decided to give antergros a try.

Honestly, this isn't too shabby of an installer. It comes out with a little more packages than I would like to believe it requires (784 with MATE), but everything just comes out of the box "werking" which is surprising to me. Even ubuntu distros usually require a little tweaking.

I think the only things I dislike are a)comes with a little extra bloat and b) the atergros branding shit everywhere, but I'm sure i'll handle those over time.
>>
why does apt-get upgrade take 30 seconds to execute but apt-get dist-upgrade is running for over an hour now?
>>
>>56159393
Because they are different processes?
>>
>>56159423
It was supposed to download couple of updates for the new distro i installed but it looks like it's downloading and installing literally the entire internet

This is one of the things i hate about linux all i wanted to do was to fix the
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
so it would work, and then after two hours of googling and countless fixes i am still no closer to a solution (and that is not even the main problem that is just the step one so i can fix the main problem i have which requires apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) to work)

in windows i literally just click the installer and boom done. It works just like that. God this is so frustrating.
>>
>>56159393
Apt-get update = updating your lists for new packages, apt-get upgrade = upgrading packages and apt-get dist-upgrade is to upgrade kernel+base system packages
>>
any slackware users here?
its wikipedia article states that dependencies are resolved by the user.
is that as annoying as it sounds?
>>
>>56159468
I thought it meant distance-update
Why the fuck isn't it name distro-update, that is terribly misleading parameter naming policy
>>
>>56159516
>distance-update
What on earth would you expect that to do?
What is the original issue though? I don't understand what you're trying to do.
>>56159456
>in windows i literally just click the installer and boom done. It works just like that.
That's how it works in linux too. You're trying to do something slightly unusual so it's a bit silly comparing to Window updating, you could lhave done the same thing with a GUI package manager.
>>
>>56159578
I need to install guest additions from the virtual box and to do it i need to do
apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
and
sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

but when i run the first one it does this
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-..
E: Couldn't find any package by regex '..

I tried fucking everyting, updating the soruces file, running every command i could googled (like apt-get update, apt-get upgrade etc) where this issue was mentioned and fucking nothing works
So then i tried apt-get dist-upgrade and now it's almost two hours and the terminal is hard at work
But i doubt that will work either
>>
>>56159659
>But i doubt that will work either
No it won't.
I don't know the reason for that command not working, works here in kubuntu but just search for which linux-headers packages you have available and then just install it by name. Shouldn't it already have linux-headers installed though? How did you install a kernel without the headers? Which distro is this anyway?
>>
>>56159659
What do you get running 'uname -r' in a terminal?
>>
/fglt/ approved Linux distributions.

Void

Exherbo

Funtoo

Devuan

If you want systemd then Gentoo and Debian are ok.

Ubuntu and Manjaro are the best beginner distros
>>
>>56159779
Stop posting this meme, it will never gain traction.
>>
>>56159339
It werked for you? Both the live CD and the installer were buggy pieces of shit. The installer kept stopping at the installation stage so I just gave up.
>>
>>56159760
Distro name and version number
>>
>>56159813
show the output
>>
>>56159754
If i understand it correctly it searches for a file linux-headers-somehing.pae and it is not found so let's say i donwload it manually, how do i install the file manually?
>>
>>56159779
B-but i thought this was a friendly thread
>>
I'll ask again here, how 'tedious' is it to set up and maintain slackware?
I can follow instructions just fine and fix up the occasional errors you'd get when something breaks, but I really don't want to spend 2-3 hours on something like trying to get my wireless card to work (and fail at it) like when I tried gentoo.
I'm still trying out various distros myself to see what I like rather than rely on someone's shitposting, but it's getting tiresome in some cases
>>
>>56159833
Please stop and look back at the advice you were given, you are going to bork your system.
>>
how often do you reinstall distro?
>>
>>56159958
When it is necessary. Not very often.
>>
>>56159958
never
>>
>>56159050
>I am a desktop user, I run Linux exclusively. I don't run windows
and this is why this arguing is nothing more than shitposting.
You don't care what init system you use and that's it, stop fucking posting "LOL SYSTEMD 4 LYFE, NAME A BETTER ALTERNATIVE, WHY WOULD I EVER USE ANYTHING ELSE".
The other side as equally guilty, but neither refuses to stop posting this shit every single day
>>
>>56159339
lucky you, the installer never worked for me, didn't even want to start at times
>>
>>56159958
Never unless I absolutely have to.

My desktop with Arch has gone for two years without an update due to me just not using it, so that's likely going to get nuked if I don't redo it from scratch.
>>
Bluetooth problem on fresh install of Debian Stable

Turned on bluetooth using "systemctl start bluetooth"
Then proceeded
bluetoothctl
power on
>No default controller available

Help gentoomen
>>
>>56160573
>debian
found your problem
>>
>>56160593
Helpful and friendly
How do you do it?
>>
Is Linux genuinely buggy or is it just my PC?

>install Ubuntu
>some weird bug happens during installing my drivers
>can't open the settings anymore
o-okay

>install Mint
>it works nicely
>after waking the PC up from screensaver mode, the upper part of the monitor is vibrating
>don't even know where to begin to fix it
why

>install KDE Neon
>bugs, crashes, text unreadable, more bugs, I swear even Win 98 was more stable

Can I consider myself having fallen for the Linux meme? I want this torment to end /fglt/
>>
>>56159918
how do i get rid off kernel panic after the update?
>>
How can the mouse speed be lowered on opensuse running kde?

The default speed with acceleration off is hard to get used to
>>
>>56161118
>all ubuntu-based
found your problem
>>
>>56159849
Those are friendly recommendations.
>>
>>56161162
if ubuntu is so great then why did kali, the most demanding and professional distro, switched to debian?
>>
>>56160062
>>56159803
I had that problem too. I only got it to work by using a GUI installer from my arch top.

Regardless, I just uninstalled it and reinstalled arch myself manually. I think it's a cool system when it works, but I don't like a system where there are a bunch of things I didn't put there myself.
>>
>>56161119
So you borked your system?
Try booting in to the previous kernel. If you shared some information it would make it a lot easier to help you.
>>
I followed these steps:
https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Building_Chocolate_Doom_on_Gentoo

But when I try to emerge chocolate-doom it says there are no ebuilds to satisfy it. Is there more to do when adding an overlay in layman?
>>
>>56159497
It's not, but newfags think so.
>>
>>56161214
>but I don't like a system where there are a bunch of things I didn't put there myself.

It sounds like you subscribe to The Arch Way! Way to go!

Arch is YOUR system. It doesn't do anything unless YOU tell it to :)
>>
>>56161410
Are you okay?
>>
>>56161359
Wasn't layman deprecated ages ago?
>>
>>56161410
Hahahaha. B8/8 m8
>>
>>56161426
That’s possible, but I’m too retarded to figure out how to compile from Git.
>>
>>56161410
>Arch is YOUR system. It doesn't do anything unless YOU tell it to :)
What a retarded statement. No system does anything unless you tell it to, that's one of the basic characteristics of computing.
>>
File: 1463505728457.jpg (6KB, 226x166px) Image search: [Google]
1463505728457.jpg
6KB, 226x166px
In arch, how do I get my local time to read off of the system time? I went and changed my bios clock to the actual time so Windows would stop shitting the bed, but I actually can't figure out which command sets local time to read off of bios time.
>>
Guy who travels a lot and does presentations asked me about security. He keeps most of his stuff in usb sticks and some of the data should never be leaked. He does not have admin rights on most of the computers he uses.

I said you should encrypt everything, look into veracrypt or at least use p7zip.

I don't really know what should I have told him?
>>
>>56161457
As far as I remember you just add it to repos.conf or something.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf
>>
First for PowerShell on Linux
>>
>>56159339
I tried the minimal installer this morning.

1. Connecting to wifi normally, it doesn't let you enter a password for some reason. You have to use a command to properly connect to wifi. See the ~3 month old issue here: https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/326

2. Same as what >>56159803 said, the installer was generally buggy (sometimes a page would be blank until I paged back and forth), and it got stuck with a blank screen during the primary installation, after I chose all my settings.

I'm sure it's great when your hardware happens to be compatible, and when you're lucky enough to not run into shitty bugs that fundamentally keep you from even installing the distro. Antergos is dirty mexican trash.
>>
is openwrt.org down? i keep timing out during update
>>
File: emma watson.jpg (53KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
emma watson.jpg
53KB, 720x960px
Are there any desktop environments that make it VERY easy to adjust color schemes? I want ot be able to tweak the colors for everything with EASE - title bars, task bar, font color, even the color of highlighting words.

Also - tiling WM for daily use computer: yes or no

Thanks
>>
>>56161699
>Also - tiling WM for daily use computer: yes or no
Why don't you try and find out if it's for you?
>>
>>56161699
No fuck you.
No gui.
No X.
Black background.
Green terminal text.
This is the only way.
>>
>>56161529
Literally why?
>>
>>56161699
MATE does, but they are busy porting it to GTK3. I'm using it right now, but they haven't fixed their color picker yet.

Gnome Color Picker or whatever works though. So any GTK based DE will let you use that I imagine.
>>
>>56161742

Tried i3 briefly. I think a tiling WM is the right choice for me, but I'm not ultra-skilled at tech stuff, so I wanted to ask for opinions. If the consensus was "no, it's more suitable for X usage" than I would stick with normal WM and save some time and effort.
>>
How can i run multiple applications from a terminal without windows?
Like let's say i start one and it's running and i need to start another one while the first one is still running.
>>
>>56161884
open a new tab.

I know xfce, MATE, and KDE all support tabbed terminal emulators.
>>
>>56161614
>the installer was generally buggy (sometimes a page would be blank until I paged back and forth), and it got stuck with a blank screen during the primary installation, after I chose all my settings.

exactly my experience

Are you on a Thinkpad?
>>
>>56161907
>>56161884
Er what I mean to say is that the default terminal they use supports tabs.
>>
>>56161927
No, a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5246. But I do want a Thinkpad.
>>
>>56161884
Put it in background with &
Or use a terminal multiplexer like tmux (recommended)
>>
File: 1467260414514.png (73KB, 387x429px) Image search: [Google]
1467260414514.png
73KB, 387x429px
So I have arch going and all is comfy and well, so now I want to move on to where I am weakest - fonts.

I don't wanna miss out on all those Japanese characters and any symbols that commonly apepar around, so what do I need to install?

Do I just go into the arch wiki and install a font family from every category of language they list? I hear infinality has a bundled font package floating about too.
>>
>>56161994
>wants Japanese characters
>doesn't know Japanese
>Arch

fucking lol
>>
>>56161884
you start them in the background by putting '&' after the command
>>
>>56161994
Noto fonts cover all bases.
>>
>>56162009
I don't know Japanese but I'd rather see the symbols than just empty boxes.
>>
>>56161994
ttf-hanazono (japanese), ttf-symbola (misc)
>>
>>56161874
If you like it use it. Adjusting colour schemes is easiest to do with gcolor2, agave and a text editor imo.
>>
>>56162040
Perfect, the cjk pack was exactly what I was looking for. Cheers anons

>>56162061
Also will grab symbola. Thanks!
>>
I'm sure this is never asked: Which distro?

Preferred attributes:
- drivers to work out of the box, fucking please
- minimal and guided installation, with a selection of DEs. Debian was pretty perfect in this respect.
- rolling release, with as many packages as possible

Debian stable has shitty driver support, and it's annoying dealing with their dedication to primarily FOSS.

Manjaro is nice, but I know that they don't use Arch package repos, so I'm afraid that I'll potentially miss out on packages. This thread already laid out what's wrong with Antergos.

Also considering Calculate Linux with a minimal install because I heard it's "Gentoo with an automated installation," and I wanna try Portage. But I'm not excited about compiling things.

Any ideas or suggestions?
>>
>>56162307
Manharo / Anteros
>>
>>56162371
Have you used Manjaro, and if so does it have a more limited selection of packages than Arch? Has this ever been an issue for any Manjaro users?
>>
>>56162307
>drivers to work out of the box,
if you have some shitty proprietary devices like broadcom network cards, then none

you can try to try install Arch with Architect, it's no graphical installation , but it is guided
>>
>>56162307
>Which distro?
>never asked
you what
>>
I decided to install the Kali linux for fun to try it out, but i have some issues i can'T figure out with my sound card. It's xonar DX and even when i put the volume in the sound manager on 100% the sound is very quite and strongly crackling.
If i had to guess i would say the OS is no proviging the soundcard with enough juice maybe? (on the motherboard i had to connect and extra power cable for it)
>>
File: Snapchat-6345888795129002773.jpg (751KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6345888795129002773.jpg
751KB, 1080x1920px
>tried installing Linux
>this came up
First Linux experience. Wonderful.
>>
File: 1344051492675.jpg (49KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
1344051492675.jpg
49KB, 500x442px
>Firefox just disabled Greasemonkey because it's "unsigned"
>Try to reinstall it
>oh sorry it's corrupt
>literally just installed it 15 minutes ago

what the fuck?
>>
>>56162436
>Ubuntu
found your problem
>>
>>56162434
Why would you need sound on Kali?
>>
>>56162307
You probably won't miss out on anything.

You should REALLY just install arch if that's what you want. Will take you an hour or so at the very most.

Otherwise, use antergros or something. (My wifi worked out of box and I had broadcrom.)
>>
>>56162404
You must be new to sarcasm.
>>
>>56161688
They have pretty anemic servers, it happens every now and then. Especially around release times.

>tfw you know it's way past time to upgrade but don't want the hassle of reinstalling packages and making sure everything still works afterwards
>>
>>56158423

>cinnamon with wayland

Yeah, sure.
>>
>>56162463
i want to listen to my tunes while working on stuff
>>
>>56159779
>If you want systemd then Gentoo
Are you some kind of idiot? Worst bait I've seen in a while.
>>
>>56162624
Yeah, I can see why you would need that when you're sitting on public transit with your hacker distro so you can pretend you're Mr Memebot.
>>
>>56160593

Kill yourself meme parroting myth perpetuating idiot who's talking about things he's not even using.
>>
>>56162651
I installed it on my desktop pc son
>>
>>56162697
That's even dumber.
>>
>>56159043
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-security.html
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

And don't use systemd, if you can avoid it, the better.
>>
>>56162307
try arch
>drivers to work out of the box, fucking please
their stock kernel is pretty much just vanilla, most common stuff is enabled, and nothing is stripped out
>minimal and guided installation, with a selection of DEs. Debian was pretty perfect in this respect.
they have excellent guides, and package groups for each DE
>rolling release, with as many packages as possible
something has to be really obscure to not at least be in the AUR, as far as package availability goes, arch has been the best out of the distro's i've used
>>
>>56161699
Tiling wms are a good choice if you mainly get all your tasks done in terminal emulators, because graphical applications often don't like being stretched around in weirdly shaped windows. If they're pretty minimal it works fine though.

Depends on your workflow, really. Do you like having many windows on the screen and find yourself tired of manually managing them?

I really like i3's tabbed mode for web browsing, since I always have shitloads of windows open (one per "activity" or "theme"), and it makes that really manageable. One huge-ass screen only for weechat. Horizontal split for remote file management, one large window on the left for vim and lots of tiny ones for docs and shit. It works for me.
>>
>>56162626

>the point of gentoo is to not use systemd

See this >>56162654
>>
>>56162436
Looks like it has problems with your USB controller.

Try a non-USB3 port for booting if that's available on your hardware.
>>
>>56162708
No you are dumb, if you don't know shit about linux and can't help my question then don't respond and waste my time.
Thanks
>>
>>56162768

A person that isn't dumb would know that you can install all those tools that are available on Kali Linux on any distribution.
A person that isn't dumb (a smart person) would install a proper "core" distribution and then install his script-kiddie tools (to hack the FBI and world just like Mr. Roboto) on that.
>>
File: Manjaro.png (24KB, 2000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Manjaro.png
24KB, 2000x2400px
>>56162737
I've seen the Arch installation page, as well as many visual guides. I suppose I should've said "automated" instead of guided, because I don't want to be guided through tons of manual steps.

>>56162307
Manjaro it is.
- drivers work
- easy to install
- rolling release

I don't care about packages having a ~2 week delay for stability, and they have an unstable branch if I did care. We'll see how package availability turns out in the long run.
>>
>>56162812
>I don't want to be guided through tons of manual steps.
there's really not that much to it

i've heard of a few automatic installers available for arch, though i haven't personally used any to recommend
>>
>>56162812
>not following The Arch Way

You shouldn't use Manjaro. The only way to use pacman and and an Arch derivative is to use the original :)
>>
>>56162307
Debian sid nonfree
>>
File: 20160819_195926-1.jpg (1MB, 1065x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160819_195926-1.jpg
1MB, 1065x1152px
>>56162764
Yeah, still shows these messages. I even disabled my USB 3 controller and enabled port emulation in the bios, still no dice. Boots into mint okay after about 5 minutes of this, but the keyboard and mouse aren't powered/don't work.
>>
File: IMG_20160819_210814101.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160819_210814101.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
Just installed fedora on this laptop but when I boot it up I get black screen with blinking cursor. It beeps after keypresses
>>
>>56162840
>>56162848
I don't give a shit about the Arch way, I just like that they have many packages. I care more about convenience and low maintenance, and vanilla Arch is neither of those.

>>56162864
As I said in the original post, Debian Stable has shitty driver support and non-FOSS is extra work, even with the non-free/contrib installer/repos (which I always used in my experience). Also the only (reliable) way to get Unstable is through upgrading Stable. All tedious and annoying.

Again: Manjaro it is.
>>
>>56163021
>I don't give a shit about the Arch way
please don't feed the trolls
>>
>>56163021
I was just making fun of Arch users.

Manjaro is Arch++ and the community releases are really amazing.
>>
>>56163021
as I and another anon said, you could use an install script which guides you through the installation, meaning it'll present steps and most of the time you just press enter, select something, press enter, type something if' it's asking for a new user and press enter some more.

you can try either Architect or arch ultimate install
>>
What's the deal with Exherbo? What are the advantages of it?
>>
>>56162710
Thanks <3
>>
>>56159779
Fuck yourself pathetic NEET
>>
>>56160030
Shut the fuck up and give me proper reason why I should delete systemd from my OS
>>
>>56163168
It isn't simple in the KISS sense. It also isn't even the best init system.

Go look at runit.
>>
>>56163189
Define best init system
>>
>>56163244
Something that is simple and fast.
>>
>>56163189
KISS isn't inherently good

Compare ed to its extremely bloated and popular cousin vim
>>
>>56163269
No, but it's good for people who really want to understand their system.

systemd is a monstrosity that obfuscates the whole process.
>>
>>56163259
It's fast enough for me, bootup speed is quite fast here.

Give me some example of things that runit can do but systemd can't
>>
>>56163286
You mean it's good for lazy idiots that can't understand anything moderately complex and new programmers

It's like dwm compared to awesome, or an ancient shitbox NA engine with carbs compared to a modern EFI/FI equipped masterpiece of engineering. Worse in every practical sense that's not rebuilding fron the apocalypse with zero to little knowledge and working equipment, but easier for a complete newbie with zero experience to work on.
>>
File: firefox_2016-08-19_21-29-34.jpg (143KB, 653x540px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-08-19_21-29-34.jpg
143KB, 653x540px
>>56163168
no anon, fuck you
go watch a conference or something
>>
>>56163357
Open source software is short on skilled labor and can't keep up with fixing bugs in programs that real businesses would assign hundreds of experienced programmers to?

What's next, open source devs won't add features you like unless you pay them or fuck off and make the patch yourself?
>>
>>56163289
It's not about features. runit is small, fast, and does it's only job well.

systemd was adopted across the board for political reasons, not for technical reasons.
>>
>>56163357
>a list of bugs
Not convincing at all
1/10
>>
>>56158568
>Wants to use gentoo but won't consider tiling wm
>>
>>56163394
>systemd was adopted across the board for political reasons
good
>>
>>56163394
Systemd is large, fast, and does its many jobs extremely well.

>not for technical reasons
Having a single API for admins and devs to learn instead of thirty interchangeable programs is a technical reason. Having a unified init unit format instead of open-ended shell scripts (that are bash on some machines and ash, dash, and ksh on others) is a technical reason.

Systemd is bringing back standards.
>>
>>56162025
>>56161986
And how do you bring them back forward to check on them?
>>
So I'll ask again.

Give me ONE good reason why I should remove systemd from my ubuntu machine. You can start by giving examples of the thins systemd can't do but your init system can.
>>
>>56163385
>>56163412
because people are depending on systemd way too fucking much, it's gotten to the point where shit doesn't work without it.
Why is that a problem? It kills the customization and freedom of choice, one of the main reasons you'd want to switch from another OS to a linux-based one.
GNOME should be a decent example of that.

>>56163563
use 'jobs' to list out the processes, then you can type '%' followed by the job ID, for example
%2 if the ID is 2
you can also use 'fg [job_id]"
>>
>>56158813
I am dual booting ubuntu and osx
>>
>>56163602
test
do the fucking code tags not work
>>
>>56163586
No one cares what you use.
>>
>>56163602
You run many other packages that you can't avoid even if there is an aternative.

>>56163624
I got a feeling that I should avoid systemd. So I was just asking for reasons to delete my init
>>
>>56163586
fuck off already, you're really fucking annoying
use it or don't, it's your fucking choice and I or anyone else here couldn't fucking care less
>>
>>56163650
So what should I say when you post
>Enjoy your systemd
tier meme?
>>
>>56163586
At this point it's mostly a philosphical debate. People who are against systemd are against its swift adoption despite being against the classic UNIX way of doing things.

If you aren't interested then just use systemd.
>>
>>56163602
Freedom of choice was never about plug and play alternatives, it's about your freedom to modify and distribute the software as you wish. People who want the multiuser features of systemd+logind can have it, or you can use the arguably inferior GNOME fork that comes with void linux and go systemd free. It's not lennart's fault that you're too fucking lazy to even try to maintain a simple fork.

Or did you think the GNU/ in GNU/Linux was a technical choice and not a philosophical one?
>>
>>56163675
>UNIX way of doing things.
Linux isn't really unix, is it?
>>
>>56163664
>So what should I say when you post
nothing because you should learn to ignore shitposters
Does your current distro work? Yes? Good then, there's no problem
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
>>
>>56163693
pure UNIX hasn't existed in decades
>>
>>56163675
you mean people who are against systemd are late to the party

what else is anti-unix?
>>>>>udev, polkit, *conf registries, bash, gnu coreutils, glibc, linux kernel, most of the desktop software a linux user has...

enjoy your linux without udev lol
>>
>>56163690
good then, I can't wait for the new GNU/Windows just because I have no knowledge or time to learn how to fork a fucking OS
>>
>>56159339
I miss sound threads.
>>
>>56163693
Linux has always followed the philosophy of "do one thing and do it well".

systemd shits all over that.

I understand both sides of the argument but I tend to side more with the people who are against systemd.
>>
>>56163746
>Linux has always followed the philosophy of "do one thing and do it well".
That's a horribly wrong statement though
Linux is not Unix, this is even true at the kernel level. Unix is deprecated
>>
>>56163664
>>56163675
>>56163690
>>56163693
>>56163696
>>56163706
>>56163720
>>56163725
>>56163730

Anyone have any advice for this one by chance?
>>56158708
>>
Is there any difference between Arch and Manjaro unstable when it comes to packages?
>>
>>56163675
the init part is really good
i mean the only thing that is weird about it is the binary logging but you can somehow work around that
and systemd killing subprocesses, including tmux on logout which is a bit more recent and is absolutely retarded

>>56163720
>*conf registries
why do such things even exist
>>
>>56163746
It hasn't done that since it adopted every filesystem under the son and ended up with GNU as its default userland and glibc+gcc as the only thing that compile the latest standard kernel.
>>
>>56163784
it's absolutely sensible policy for a multi-user system, aka THE TYPICAL LINUX BOX USED IN A PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT. you're not supposed to sneak around the admin and run ad-hoc daemons, you ask for them to set up a service. it's also a malware protection feature. malicious users can't leave a time sensitive notavirus.sh backgrounded when they log out because the box has defined hours of accessibility during which it is not in maintenance, maintenance that may involve dropping some security protections that allow notavirus.sh to act.

not only is it a great idea FOR THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY USE LINUX INSTEAD OF YOU FUCKING HOBBYIST NERD SHITS but

YOU CAN DISABLE IT. READ THE FUCKING MANUAL, YOU WIKI LICKING PIECE OF SHIT.

/fglt/ - fucking gnu/linux thread
>>
>>56158708
It seems your solution is working. I think you should try another distro to see if the problem persists, like Manjaro or Korora

>>56163782
Probably not
>>
>>56163784
let this end in this post anon
>>
>>56163849
this post isn't very friendly, friend
>>
>>56163890
uriel yourself nerd
>>
>>56163189

How is systemd not KISS? Your KISS is just a buzzphrase, with no objective definition.
You should stop using your computer because it's not simple.
>>
>>56163394

systemd-init is small, fast and does its only job well.
>>
>>56163913
yeah, KISS is a retarded acronym in the Linux community.

Which is KISS, Arch or Ubuntu?
>>
>>56163896
>>56163849
reported for rude
also
>malicious users can't leave a time sensitive notavirus.sh
malicious users can elevate their privileges and start a notavirus.sh.service just fine
or just splice the backdoor into a binary currently installed on the system once they got root
the possibilities are endless

how fucking hard is it for individual programs to keep track of subprocesses and to kill them all on shutdown really?
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2omlkd/eli5_pros_cons_with_systemd/cmoo948
>>
I've been using Arch with Openbox on my laptop and it was working fine but now whenever I resize a Firefox window the color of the titlebar and all the contents in the window start flashing screwed up colors. Is this my GPU or compositor fucking up or something else?
>>
>>56163945
Notavirus.sh could be their root exploit, but it won't work during the hours they're allowed to be logged in. After the curfew, the admin will kill or disable some security policy for maintenance purposes. It's not perfect policy, but it's easy.

>how fucking hard is it for individual programs to keep track of subprocesses and to kill them all on shutdown really?
Systemd already does this

Now you can do it to processes on logout so people can't run processes without your permission, hogging your resources and potentially fucking shit up

inb4 unix way fags think the better solution would be a shell script
>>
File: ?_6.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
?_6.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
What's the best approach to protect my porn?

>encrypted external HDD
>encrypted folder in home
>zip with a password
>folder with root privileges
>>
>>56164124
Protect it from what?
>>
>>56164124
My torrentbox (with external HDD) has all my collections.
It's encrypted

Good choice of woman, anon
>>
I have a lot of folders containing sound files, images and text files on my FTP server. I want to copy them over to my laptop, but due to space constraints I want to copy only:
>sound files longer than 5 seconds
>images bigger than 800x800
>all text files (they actually have specific extension so filtering them is easy I suppose)

How do I do that? I suppose I can't do that with Dolphin and will need to write a command line script. Giving keywords I should google for is enough.
>>
What terminal emulator should I use and why?
>>
>>56164249
Yakuake
>>
>>56164249
The one you are comfy with
>>
>>56164249
terminator and tilda
>>
File: 1467224229207.jpg (37KB, 419x424px) Image search: [Google]
1467224229207.jpg
37KB, 419x424px
>>56164157

So encrypted HDD it is, then.
>>
>>56164142
the kind of porn linuxfags are into would get you 10 years minimum if cops got their grabby mitts over it
>>
Is there any objective reason mate is more popular than xfce or vice versa?
>>
>>56158126
what's the best reading material to learn more about linux?

Has anyone used this: https://www.udemy.com/learn-linux-in-5-days/
>>
>>56164249
the best one is bukakke. it can handle several loads at the time
>>
File: 13932726.jpg (41KB, 898x886px) Image search: [Google]
13932726.jpg
41KB, 898x886px
>>56164738
>bukakke
>>
What do you guys think about Arch-Anywhere?
>>
>>56164857
Never heard of it.
>>
>>56164736
any link that promises you a promotion after you learn linux to work a job in it in 5 days is bullshit
>>
>>56164945

it's the highest rated course i could find on udemy :/
>>
>>56163983
I've ruled out that is Compton but I don't know what setting would cause that. It doesn't just happen on Firefox but any windows with a lot stuff in it. Any ideas?
>>
Seems like ubuntu finally got rid of mono.
>>
>>56159779
This is actually good, please ignore jerks and continue.
>>
>>56165100
Quite obvious samefagging
>>
>>56160005
rolling release ftw
>>
>>56165131
No.
>>
>>56165161
Sure thing buddy
>>
File: 484881_4cc5_1024x2000.jpg (91KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
484881_4cc5_1024x2000.jpg
91KB, 500x710px
Debianfag here.

I'm going to install Arch on the weekend for "fun". Now, I'm reasonably comfy with linux but I've never set up encryption manually before. When I start investigating the Arch wiki, it feels like the rabbit hole goes on forever. I've spent much time googling this, but answers/guides are incomplete, and leave me with a lack of confidence in my ability to tackle this minor step. Is there a friendly nudge towards adding encryption to the standard installation guide?

Thanks
>>
File: 1466633905381.png (2MB, 2720x8048px) Image search: [Google]
1466633905381.png
2MB, 2720x8048px
>>56165183
>lol debibabby can't read wiki
Here. But I don't think you are ready for it
>>
>>56165183
This >>56165222 or use architect, it gives you an option to do LUKS encryption
>>
File: sddm.png (348KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
sddm.png
348KB, 720x405px
Hey guys,
I've followed several i3 tutorials learned a lot of keybindings and a lot about the config and decided I want to use i3 for most things on my Kubuntu laptop.

I do NOT want to lose Plasma/Kwin or move to another distro at this time, so here's my problem...

When I log in to Plasma through the session manager (SDDM) the login screen goes away and in about 5 seconds my desktop is ready.

When I load i3 I am instantly put into i3 but the session manager (pic related) becomes my background and until I get a window open my cursor is the 'loading' symbol. I cannot change background using feh to place over the top of SDDM and I cannot 'close' SDDM.

Why is it stuck like this? Why does it not just give me my default desktop background for i3 after this? Is it actually wasting processing power by sitting there like that or is it simply a dead 'background image' i3 has kept there from when I hit login?
>>
>try to register on Arch forums because /fglt/ doesn't reply to my obscure problems
>last registration task
>What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha224sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?
>copy paste the exact output
>wrong answer
>>
>>56165890
What problem? Just curious
>>
>>56165911

>>56163983
>>56165001
the compton.conf
http://pastebin.com/9vxp10vS
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-19_17-18-34.png (36KB, 693x403px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-19_17-18-34.png
36KB, 693x403px
For some reason audio on my laptop (T420) is very quiet even though the volume applet slider is set to max. Any idea why this is? I am using ALSA of course.
>>
>>56163168
I dont give a shit what init system you run.

I use OpenRC with runit for my own reasons.

I dont use systemd because I believe it doesnt follow the Unix philosophy of modularity. The point of having modularity is that there is no program definite better than all others and new ones might pop up, why should I be forced to use systemd for all the services it takes over?

I use runit because its faster than sysvinit, but the difference is that if I had systemd I wouldnt get the choice to use it.
>>
File: 1462208828789.jpg (70KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1462208828789.jpg
70KB, 480x480px
Laptops are pain in the ass I understand that today. I fucking wasted 10hrs for just wifi and nvidia optimus thing and I only managed to figure out wifi. It should not be this hard to install a gpu driver and configure xorg.
>>
>>56163647
Use what you want to use.
>>
>>56158593
Press ctrl alt f6 then ctrl alt f7
>>
>>56164736
Read the book thats posted by OP "the linux command line" and there is many many free material online available
>>
>>56166088
Doesn't do anything. I only have blinking "_" on the screen. I can access to the CLI with ctrl alt f1.
>>
I just installed fedora and noticed this huge title bar on firefox. Is there any way to remove this?
>>
>>56164736
if you are up to something shorter, but more light-hearted, I suggest this: http://unixmages.com
>>
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk/by-uuid/XXX bs=4096

what's this going to do?
>>
>>56165973
master is set to -20db
>>
>>56166385
So what should I do?
>>
>>56166278
It'll just your JUST drives
>>
>>56166422
Select it with left/right arrows and press the up arrow.
>>
>>56166451
Even set to max it is still pretty quiet. And set to half I can barely hear anything at all.
>>
>>56166475
Are you sure you are not using pulse audio as well?
>>
>>56166496
No I just have ALSA and its utils installed.
>>
>>56166507
Dunno then, check hardware, make sure cable work and everything is fully plugged in and turned up.
>>
>>56166443

all my drives or just the external ones?
>>
Xubuntu eats my T420 battery like nothing.

What distros are more energy efficient? Or how can I improve battery life? Screen tearing is also an issue.
>>
>>56166683
Distros won't change that, tools and configs will.
>>
>>56166683
Install a lightweight WM like openbox.
>tearing
compton
>>
>>56166704
>tools and configs

such as?
>>
>>56166507
Can you post the output of amixer?
>>
>>56166747
Every wiki has articles on this, a web search will give you loads of information, including the ubuntu wiki.
>>
How exactly do I check the remaining life of my SSD on linux?
smartctl gives me a huge output that I have no clue how to interpret
It's an Intel 530 if that matters
>>
I'm using a Chromebook Pixel LS with ChromeOS w/o Dev. mode. Am I running Linux? If so, it's the best Linux experience I have ever had. What a great OS and an amazing piece of hardware. Wow!
>>
>>56167111
>trips wasted on shills
Why have you forsaken us lord kek?
>>
sudo tee /dev/s* < /dev/zero
>>
>>56167111
Get the fuck out normie.
>>
I installed XFCE on Linux Mint and I when I log to that DE I just get a black screen and a mouse pointer, how do I fix it?
>>
I have Ubuntu 16.04 MATE on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 laptop and nothing I do will make headphones work. And I can't go into sound preferences and fix it because it doesn't recognize headphones at all.
What the fuck is going on because not having working headphones is a dealbreaker and I about to throw this laptop in the trash.
>>
>>56167237
Did you install the xfce4-goodies package? I think it's necessary for basic functionality.
>>
>>56161467

Set windows to utc, problem solved.

You have to create a new key in the registry and set its value to 1, google it because I don't remember what key off-hand
>>
>>56161188
>if ubuntu is so great then why did kali, the most demanding and professional distro, switched to debian?
>if ubuntu is so great
>switched to debian?

UNDERRATED
>>
>>56167262
open alsamixer in a terminal, make sure automute mode is enabled.
>>
is there anything else i can add to mpd/ncmpcpp or i like to call it mpd + ncmpcpp that makes it more user friendly.

I very much like the idea of a TUI based music player. But as it stands right now, its not very intuitive
>>
>>56167278
Yes, I also have installed Cinnamon and Mate.
>>
Is there any way to list the forks of a given package on Debian? Say I want to know what packages fork from nautilus (for example, nemo), is there a way to do that? (either on apt interface or on a website, whatever)
>>
File: Screenshot_20160819_202419.png (34KB, 807x195px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160819_202419.png
34KB, 807x195px
Is this working as intended or is fstrim not running each week? Should I add discard back to the fstab instead?
>>
>>56167571
Use cantata if you want a gui.
>>
>>56167571
Just use cmus if you don't want mpd.
>>
>>56161118
It's probably your choice in addition to at least a bit of human error.
>>
File: 1471655476.gif (80KB, 301x339px) Image search: [Google]
1471655476.gif
80KB, 301x339px
What keyboard-driven browser should I use
It can be vim-like or emacs-like or whatever
>>
>>56168298
I heard qutebrowser is good
>>
How is kubuntu compared to regular ubuntu?
>>
How do you manage things you compile manually?
There are a few programs, like mpv, that I regularly pull from git, compile and install to /usr/local
The number of those has been increasing, and doing it manually is getting bothersome
>>
File: 1454287962016.jpg (1MB, 2388x2064px) Image search: [Google]
1454287962016.jpg
1MB, 2388x2064px
>>56162436
>>56162885
any help anyone?
>>
>>56168298
firefox and vimperator
>>56168367
one uses kde, the other uses unity
>>
>>56168433
On which distro? You could package them and manage them with your package manager. Debian has checkinstall for this for example.
>>
>>56168433
Use a source based package manager like portage, makes it much easier.
>>
>>56168498
Did you use something like universal usb creator? Because that is probably the issue.
>>
This may sound dumb, but what sort of security do I need when running linux?

Running Ubuntu Server.
Installed PLEX, got it all set up.

Now is it safe to just let it run 24/7, or do I need to do something else to secure it?
>>
>>56168509
That's not what I meant, I meant how to automate the process of updating this software

>>56168515
I can't really change distros right now because of reasons
>>
>>56168580
Make a cronjob for the compilation that only continues if there is a new version.
>>
How do i link squid with unbound+dnscrypt?
Does squid link in to unbound or would squid be in front of unbound?
>>
>>56158126
/g/uise, I'm installing Debian on a Virtual Machine, setup is almost done, next step is installig boot loader.

My questions are:
>Do I need to install GRUB in the VM in order for Debian too boot?
>If I chose not to, Will it still boot with the "VMWare bootloader"?
>>
Does anyone know any GTK frontend for VLC?
>>
I'm on Lubuntu right now, getting between 4 and 6 hours of light use depending on factors. What distros are better with battery life besides WattOS? I tried it, but couldn't quite wrap my head around it the first go, and haven't had time to go back to it yet.
>>
My restorecon doesn't work. It just gives nothing to the output, permissions remain unchanged.
I tried
restorecon -Rv /var
and
restorecon -R -v /var
Still does absolutely nothing.
>>
>>56168668
Yes
No

Install it to /dev/sda unless you're using a more complex install.
>>
>>56168787
lmao no

gtkucks BTFO
>>
File: 1471313143790.jpg (31KB, 650x609px) Image search: [Google]
1471313143790.jpg
31KB, 650x609px
>>56167183
>>
>>56168952
I wish'd people would stop using this bad meme. I mean, even facebook kids are using it nowadays. Wake up senpai. This meme is dead.
>>
>>56168952
>lmao
>>>/9gag/
>>>/dailyhaha/
>>>/memegenerator/
>>
File: antje3.gif (1MB, 245x136px) Image search: [Google]
antje3.gif
1MB, 245x136px
jwm or openbox?
>>
>>56168952
this website is 18+
>>
>>56169027
Kwin
>>
>>56169013
>>56169031
Autism
>>
>>56168952
This is a friendly thread. If you can't answer his question without being a faggot, just don't post.
>>
>>56169033
naah
>>
>>56169047
Butthurt.
>>
>>56168528
Oh shit, really? What should I be using?
>>
File: 1466901665251.png (35KB, 537x515px) Image search: [Google]
1466901665251.png
35KB, 537x515px
>>56169027
>Java window manager
>>
>>56169027
Awesome
>>
>>56169100
Im not him, but I use Rufus
>>
best distro? i need something 1337
>>
>>56169129
LFS
>>
>>56169121
>Im not him
same here
>>
>>56169137
That's not a distro.
>>
>>56168942
Ty, Up and running
>>
>>56169106
Indeed.
>>
->
-> >>56169173
->
>>
>>56169129
install gentoo
>>
ng redshift in ubuntu but it doesn't work. when I launch it with the icon it crashes when I try and access it, launching "redshift" with terminal it hangs up at "geoclue2"

?
>>
>>56169237
Try setting a location manually. From the manpage:
redshift -l 55.7:12.6 -t 5700:3600 -g 0.8 -m randr -v
>>
>>56169273
Thanks it worked fine
>>
File: OL4uq.gif (131KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
OL4uq.gif
131KB, 500x700px
I want to bring a portable toaster from 2009 back to life.
>2GB ram.
>AMD Athlon TF-20 1.60GHz
>Running vista
I need something light and quick, but clean looking. Any ideas? Know of a beginner distro that can get the job done?
>>
>>56170034
I would install something with LXQt, and then rice it up a little bit.
>>
>>56166628
the one drive referenced by /dev/disk/by-uuid/XXX
("XXX" is of course, not a real UUID, so that command as-is won't do anything)
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.