[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 47

File: UniqueMonsters.jpg (312KB, 1280x864px) Image search: [Google]
UniqueMonsters.jpg
312KB, 1280x864px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on 5th Edition General >>49682801

Thread Question:
What are some of the most memorable creatures that you have faced in combat as a player or used on your PCs as a DM (official or homebrew)?
-OR-
Besides a tavern, what is an interesting way to start your campaign?
>>
*Previously on 5th Edition General (apologies, got the links mixed up)

>>49710041

>>49710041

>>49710041
>>
Meet the new Thread.

Same as the old Thread.

>Besides a tavern, what is an interesting way to start your campaign?

I like ships landing at ports or caravans travelling through really inhospitable places, its a good story way to force the team to have interracted with each other in some manner. They dont necessarily have to wrok with each other, it can just be "oh I remember you from the boat"
>>
hey faggots
>>
>>49720003
>What are some of the most memorable creatures that you have faced in combat as a player or used on your PCs as a DM (official or homebrew)?
I have a DM who absolutely never disappoints with his boss fights, one of which was the combination of two seperate undead creatures, and very nearly resulted in a TPK. Still my most memorable and possibly favorite boss fight of his to this day.
>>
>>49720075

Careful with them ta-ta's friendo, this heres a blue board.

That being said, great tits, would fap again.
>>
Someone tell me if this theoretical build and fight would work
11 Rogue/7 Eldritch Knight/ 2 Warlock
Take agonizing blast eldritch invocation
Start encounter
Use bonus action to cast hex and action to cast EB(4d10+12). Trigger hex (4d6). Get near enemy
Next round
Cast EB (4d10+12) and use war magic to attack with rapier (1d8+7) and deal sneak attack damage(6d6) and trigger hex again (5d6).
It's really late and I just randomly came up with this. I'm probably retarded, but I'd like some feedback confirming my retardation. Aditional apologies if it's hard to make sense of the damage stuff
>>
File: thirstynigga.jpg (29KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
thirstynigga.jpg
29KB, 480x480px
>>49720075
>>49719699

Looks like it's somebody's first day on 4chan. There are boards for that and this is not one of them. Now fuck off.
>>
File: phantom.jpg (47KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
phantom.jpg
47KB, 500x435px
Swashbuckler Rogue 3 / Tomelock X.

Would it work? Will it be shit?
>>
>>49720003
Monster question: in the last session i had a battle between a group of orcs/ogrillon/ogre/ettin and any sort of forest guardians such as Treant, galeb duhr + homebrews like the sylvan stalker, the thorn guardian and my personal homebrews which is a modification fo the dryads to resemble the Dryads of Brokilon in the Witcher's book saga.
Afterwards the pc nwhere brought the the queen matron of said forest and dryads, which was this dryad which was connected by her hair to a giant tree, also her based off of Ethinè from the Witcher's books.

The dryad rangers are cr4 while the matron is a homebrew of the lich but less powerful in some parts so that it could match a cr of 15
>>
>>49720003
guys, girls please hap me friends, I want to buy a battlegrid but i'm not really fond of the battlemat, i would like to find a solid piece of polymer board.
I can only find the battle grid and chessex mats online. Any ideas?
>>
>>49720138
I actually really like this. Kudos.

You could also become pretty SAD if you went tomelock for shillelagh maybe.

Also note that you have action surge for a devastating nova round of triggering hex 8 times.
>>
How do I stop being such a rules lawyer?
>>
>>49720457
just relax my man. have a hit on that kush before you game? not like a whole fucking bowl just get you a one hitter and some mediocre goblin and loosen yourself up JUST enough that that stick just slides out of your ass.
>>
>>49720457
by letting the DM deciding what ahppens and doing your job as a player: enjoying the exposition instead of mixmaxing.
Sit back and enjoy the ride.
The only rule lawyering that is ever acceptable is remmebering to not metagame and what your character would know instea dof what you know.
More than often rule lawyering falls into metagaming.
Just see what did to Orion from CR.
>>
>>49720457
How do you be a rules lawyer in 5e?
>>
>>49720528
Oh you have no idea, a caster can be extremely annoyign when deciding what effect a spell should make.
>>
How would you convert PF's haunts system to 5e?
>>
How do I play an oath of vengeance paladin without being overbearingly edgy? The idea I have kicking around right now is a humoristic yet fatalistic half-elf devoted to Tymora, who throws it all in on the roll of the dice, more trying to emphasis the sacrifice aspect of the Oath of Vengeance than the punishment side.
>>
>>49720592
Seems like a system that could be summed up as "spooky traps." So... that. Make spooky traps.
>>
>>49720592
Traps as per the DMG guidelines for saving throw DCs, that deal psychic/necrotic damage, can cause the target to be charmed into doing a specific action, frightened, or possessed like the ghost ability in the MM. Holy water, Protection from Good and Evil, and Dispel Good and Evil would be effective at dealing with them.
>>
How come wotc with all their time and manpower were never able to make a setting as based as golarion?
>>
>>49720413
please someone help me
>>
File: golarion.jpg (368KB, 1159x1500px) Image search: [Google]
golarion.jpg
368KB, 1159x1500px
>>49720706
How come you with all your time were never able to make bait better than this?
>>
>>49720718
Buy a dry erase board.
>>
>>49720721
Seems pretty shit desu
>>
>>49720721
But I unironically think crazy variant lands are the best though.
>>
>>49720721
>Europe with a bunch of european shit in it
>>
All adventurers should be beautiful right?
>>
>>49720925
naw
flaws are interesting
>>
Is being a shintoist in DnD going top fedora?
>>
>>49720721
>Be Spaniard
>Be considered an asshole and an inbred noble
Well, at least I'm a noble
>>
>>49720983
there's literally a monk class, these baits are getting so low quality it's so easy
>>
>>49720003
>Besides a tavern, what is an interesting way to start your campaign?
Prison. Breakouts make for decent first sessions.
>>
>>49720983
depends on the setting
>>
>>49720983
No, playing an atheist in settings with readily apparent god-sourced divine magic is.
Shintoist is a good flavor for druids or clerics if they can do so by the setting's cosmology.
>>
>>49721053
If mortals can ascend to godhood why the fuck should I worship any gods?
>>
>>49721053
This, and I'm agreeing with this while being an atheist. It's mostly obvious than our reality is godless, but when you're playing in something like forgotten realms where there are individuals that clearly have connection with gods and the supernatural and where fucking liches exist you can't really try to be an atheist as a character. The only good option would be being someone like the cyclops that doesn't care for them and doesn't want to deal with them.

Other settings like LOTR or The Witcher have much more rooms for atheism since divinity is mostly non-exintent in its manifestation.
>>
>>49721075
Because my paladin will slap your cakeboi ass if you dont
>>
>>49721023
What monk has to do with shinto, anon? Monks are martial artists that use their body and a type of energy called ki in combat, their beliefs can vary a lot.
>>
>>49721075
Because they successfully ascended, you twat.
And I never said you should worship them, just that disavowing them is shit entry level fedora antics.
>This is my relativist moral paladin. He doesn't believe in deities, and fights to enlighten others and have them share in his euphoria
>>
>>49720983
It's being a druid
>>
>>49721103
Not really? Shinto is the divinity behind everything, Druids piss on artificial and manmade stuff, they wouldn't say a boat has shinto or whatever
>>
>>49720003
What's a good build for a half-elf bard at lvl 5? I want to go for College of Valor and am using either point-buy or the standard array for abilities?

I suck at making viable builds.
>>
>>49720983
>fedora
what do you think this word means anon
>>
>>49721124
No, you don't.
It's extremely difficult to make a note viable build in 5e.
Bard is arguably the best class.
Pick whatever options you want, you'll be okay.
>>
>>49721111
>His druid doesn't respect the environs of man
Rangers and Druids work together in most circles keeping the balance of the intelligent races and nature. Generally rangers keep the borders of civilization safe from intruding disturbances, and druids keep a watchful eye on the expansion and consumption of people. The reason druids get antagonistic is because civilization tends to overextend and consume a lot. It's feasible they could be more mindful of the balance in general, which fits perfectly with Shintoism.
>>
>>49721124
with point buy and half elf you can have the following stats: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16

it don't get better than that
>>
>>49721162
and feats? are there any feat really good feat combos?
>>
I heard rangers kind of suck. do they still suck? how much do they suck? do friends not let friends roll ranger.
>>
Stat me. I want to play this guy in my next campaign.
>>
File: 1462072234162.jpg (591KB, 540x955px) Image search: [Google]
1462072234162.jpg
591KB, 540x955px
>>49721188
Hunter rangers are alright, but slightly behind the power curve (unless you build them with Sharpshooter, but then you're just getting ahead on the feat's power, and still behind fighters/bards who build for it)
Beastmaster is awful without heavy repairs.
Deep Stalker (Unearthed Arcana) is in the same boat as Hunter.
However, recently there was a new pass at fixing Ranger in Unearthed Arcana, because of its generally awful reception. It makes the class not only playable, but actually interesting and good on its own merits. And the beast subclass is actually really nice.
>>
>>49721207
5th level human expert, high charisma, constitution and persuassion
>>
>>49721207
Who the hell is that?
>>
>>49721183
Get your dex to 20 first before feats. Valor Bards will be using melee so just get that dex to 20 and grab a rapier and a shield. Select spells that buff yourself or others and be support. You can also use a bow if you want I guess.
>>
>>49721207
Feats:
Lucky
CON save proficiency
Extra HP
>>
>>49721220
Thanks a lot.
The first bard I made just relied too much on Illusions, Suggestion and Deception, but it seems the DM isn't as flexible as I thought so I want to go with something more tactical.
>>
>>49720651
Do just that, focus on the sacrifice bits. Ideas like you make your own luck, and 'the dice have no memory.' Instead of calling yourself a paladin, just be a devout fighter who is chasing...something, and try refluffing bits. Maybe Beshaba put a curse on you, or your luck ran out when you needed it most. Not quite a break of faith but the way you used to see things got shaken up bad. Tried to play something similar in True20 few years ago, and I just made a squire with some luck manipulation stuff, and played him moderately religious.
>>
>>49721216
Grigori Rasputin, the highest level cleric in ww1.
>>
>>49720003
My most memorable 5e combat encounter was against 3 swarms of bugs. The party was four level 3 characters (Way of the Open Hand Monk, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Circle of the Land Druid, and a College of Valor Bard) and we almost got slaughtered.

An interesting way to start a campaign is all the PCs being assembled into a special team by a local garbage noble post imprisonment.
>>
>>49721333
he's a fucking warlock you crone
>>
>>49721357
Who would his patron be?
>>
>>49721370
Your dumbfuck mother.
>>
Post your partys themesong:

Here mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOSr7JK8OA
>>
File: 1472099500331.png (83KB, 212x218px) Image search: [Google]
1472099500331.png
83KB, 212x218px
>>49721416
>>
Paladin 2 / Favored Soul Sorcerer X for gish build.

Good? Bad? Meh? I'm a bit worry about Sorcerer hp.
>>
>>49721452
this isn't 3.5, pick a class
>>
>>49721474
THANK YOU
>>
>>49720065
Could you elaborate?
Im doing a undead centered adventure and could use some inspiration.
>>
>>49721474
It also isn't 3.pf. Multiclass is fine.
>>
File: 1475934527528.jpg (5KB, 199x250px) Image search: [Google]
1475934527528.jpg
5KB, 199x250px
>>49721416
Had I a song to describe a gaggle of ignorant fuckbabies stumbling around sites of great historical splendor and filled with the secrets and lore of a long dead civilization and finding themselves far more interested in destroying everything that isn't shiny or useful as a weapon or slaughtering the inhabitants simply because they happen to be "unliving abominations" instead of learning something for once in their misbegotten thrice-cursed lives while I sift through the ashes of their gods damned campaign for some scrap of knowledge and continually sit in uncomfortably silent agony whenever one of their players opens their squealing mouths to shout some meme or announce their next act of intellectual terrorism on the wealth of arcane mystery held inside the game, I would gladly post it, while sabving it on my phone to play when the need to drown their contemptuous acts becomes overwhelming.

Instead, have this image.
>>
>>49721507
Have you considered getting smarter players?
>>
>>49721507
If there isnt a wizard in the group then they did literally nothing wrong honestly.

>implying an illiterate thief or half-orc barbarian should care about some ancient society that they have no relation too.

But yeah people who use memes should be given a warning before being told to leave the game for the rest of the night, fucking sperglords
>>
File: 1459697765696.png (309KB, 306x531px) Image search: [Google]
1459697765696.png
309KB, 306x531px
>>49721507
>Play a lawful evil bard, hoping for assessment of power and grand schemes
>Wind up the group mom because nobody else has any sense of loyalty, responsibility, foresight, tactics
>Mfw I wind up babysitting the "good" party members because they cause infinitely more unintentional harm than I do when I plan to
>>
>>49721531
Every session, anon, but I have a limited number of potentials to experiment on and I've had enough horror stories happen in my life that going into the unknown of getting a bunch of FLGS/internet randoms together leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
>>
>>49721534
To be fair, half of that is the perspective of me playing the party's wizard. The other half is my being confounded by how they pass up all manner of action I and my character would love to delve into even when I am more than willing to allow the rogue to have her time being the sneaky, "clever" sass-beast she thinks she is, the cleric to spout religious jokes whenever he thinks he's being funny by doing so and so on.
>>
>>49720163
The question is why. You get a lot of close mobility but a tomelock is all spells and usually that means distance.

It'll work but you have to choose between hanging back or going in, and eventually you are gonna choose the wrong option. And someone who doesn't multi class or has a more in sync mc will do their job better than what you can do, but it is doable.
>>
>>49721577
Tell them that then. They might be assuming you're enjoying their shitty escapades enough to make up for the fact that you don't do your own.
>>
Where were you when you realized Chainlock is the most powergamey faggot thing to ever exist in 5e?
>>
Would a feudal, but advanced society (think dune, but with no space travel) have a bankruptcy system?
>>
>>49721416
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi3YxHloH3Q
>>
>>49721646
Im sorry but the question is a bit vague, do companies exist and have legal rights, because if they do it nearly isnt feudal setting. Do you just mean, can somone default on their debts, then probably, but they would certainly have all their stuff seized and may be forced into labour
>>
>>49721645
>Where were you when you realized Chainlock is the most powergamey faggot thing to ever exist in 5e?
in your mom
>>
File: asdw.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
asdw.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>49721676
Sick reference bro
>>
File: 1450155548220.jpg (95KB, 461x700px) Image search: [Google]
1450155548220.jpg
95KB, 461x700px
>>49721645
Probably at a drug house, because there's no way to conclude that with unclouded senses.
Your reasoning is?
>>
Why is so hard to come with a heroic sacrifice situation?
>Be me
>Trying to buy time for my party so I stay and delay the enemy troops
>They still stay
>Combat ends 5 turns later
>"What? that's 30 seconds, anon, you think we don't have 30 seconds to spare?"
...fuck this
>>
>>49721645
>warlock
>powergamey
>>
>>49721704
No man gets left behind, get that weak shit out of here.
>>
>>49721716
but but the pirates code
>>
>>49721691
Read what Quasit, Imp, and Sprite do. I know this is going to sound rude, but if you've ever DM'd in your life you would know just what these 3 creatures are capable of.
>>
>>49721780
shut up
>>
>>49721646
What type of bankruptcy? Who owes and borrows?
>>
I'm going to be dming a dnd campaign using the final fantasy PDF someone recently showed me. I like the aesthetic of many of the classes, and so do many of my players. I gave them the choice of phb characters or ff characters and many picked the ff. However, I had one little shit exclaim, in front of me that he wants to be broken. This guy is a "hardcore" dnd player. The first thing he says in his plan to break my campaign is he's going to play a halfling because they know every martial arts ever.

Part of me knows that this campaign ends in that player being killed by the pcs. The other part of me knows that he'll throw a fit if something doesn't go his way. What do I do? Throw him out or let him stay?
>>
File: homos laughing.gif (1MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
homos laughing.gif
1MB, 448x252px
>>49721829
>>
Is the new Unearthed Arcana supposed to drop today?
>>
>>49721834
I am sorry I am new here, what is an unearthed Arcana? Is it a story?
>>
File: 1475597063974.gif (2MB, 517x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475597063974.gif
2MB, 517x400px
>>49721829
>broken
>in 5e
>>
>>49721645
Known it for a while. Warlock is already good enough in combat, giving them an invisible, shapeshifting, touch spell casting super mage hand pushes them over the top.
>>
>>49721849
>Portent
>Not broken
Every time.
>>
>>49721826
Normal citizens borrow secured and unsecured money from lender corporations, it in some cases government bodies.
>>
>>49721848
It's something wizards of the coast puts out to give content to players to play test.

If you game, imagine this is a beta testing server but gives new rules and new things to use in games. Wizards have put out new archetypes an entirely new class. A remade Ranger and a ton helpful info to DMs.
>>
Whats a good basic framing structure for a long form episodic campaign? The only thing I can think of is the Paper Mario-esque "Go collect/destroy the seven crystal babies."
>>
>>49721864
Oh ok so they keep adding new game mechanics and content? Thats cool.
>>
>>49721780
Imp gets
>Enough survivability to survive a falling pinecone
>A few spare forms
>Devil's Sight
>Invisibility
>Lame attack
Quasit
>Slightly better survivability than a spider
>Couple forms
>Lame attack with a strong rider...on a very easy save
>Good debuff...on one enemy once per day on an easy save
>Invisibility
Sprite
>No damage attack with a strong rider, and potentially very strong, but very easy save
>Invisibility

What's the problem again? They're nifty, but nothing a wizard couldn't do and proceed to laugh at the warlock.
>>
>>49721848
It's a collection of experimental rules pushed out once a month by wizards. You should look for them in the mega, or in the official site. There is some great and terrible stuff in them.
>>
>>49721851
Not him, but the scouting, spying, social, and unqiue bonuses they give. The Sprite's Heart Sight is INSANE.
>>
>>49721549
>Lawful Evil
>Group mum
>Not Group Thrawn
Just pull something similar to this next time someone in your party tries to justify aggrevating a large governing body:
>"I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds people live their lives under Imperial rule without ever seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
>>
>>49721879
It's not cannon though, a DM can say no to allowing unearthed arcana into their games cause the stuff they put out hasn't been tested like crazy.
>>
File: 1472059515207.jpg (160KB, 695x572px) Image search: [Google]
1472059515207.jpg
160KB, 695x572px
>>49721848
>>
When DM'ing what house rules do you use for a player who wants to multi-class? I won't allow it unless it either fits the character or something has happened which would make it seem reasonable. For example I wouldn't let a Ranger multi-class into a warlock or paladin out of the blue just for the sake of it.
>>
>>49721859

You could play a halfling divination wizard with the lucky feat and it still wouldn't be broken anon. Unless of course you're just using that word without knowing what it actually means.
>>
>>49721881
familiars arent meant to be combat companions dude. quit being a munchkin faggot and use them for rp like youre supposed to. they all have powerful non combat abilities too
>>
>>49721916
i make them multiclass every level
>>
There was a book in 3e/3.5 about only the most classic magic items in the game (7 of them, I think), but I can't remember its name.

Can anyone give me a hand?
>>
File: 1475113372052.jpg (125KB, 619x310px) Image search: [Google]
1475113372052.jpg
125KB, 619x310px
>>49721900
>MUH 4chan
jesus, dude he asked one question...
>>
>>49721881
Imp also gets magic resistance, which it shares with the master. You can also deliver touch spells through it without breaking invisibility.

Same for the quasit. The saves also aren't that easy for trash mobs, which despite being trash, are still quite damaging. I was dming for a high level party and the most threatening npcs in the fight, a collection of high level wizards would routinely fail the quasit saves.
>>
File: 1475082569771.jpg (5KB, 158x152px) Image search: [Google]
1475082569771.jpg
5KB, 158x152px
>>49721936
>>
>>49721862
>>49721646
Insolvency laws have existed since at least 2000BC.
>>
>>49721948
Technically the magic resistance rule is in the MM and designed for NPCs. I suppose it could be an optional for a very generous DM though.
>>
File: 1450156089940.jpg (178KB, 700x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1450156089940.jpg
178KB, 700x1036px
>>49721922
Familiars are useful normally for delivering touch spells or using the help action or even just providing another body for abilities as they fly by (Rogue readies an action to attack an enemy when the owl comes by, gets sneak attack for having an adjacent allies)
The Pact of the Chain allows you to have *slightly* better companions, both in combat and out of it. They aren't battle pets exclusively- that's Beast Ranger's role. However, they have a bit of combat application. They aren't even strong in comparison to other casters or martials in combat. What's your problem with them?
>>49721948
The magic resistance sharing is in the Monster Manual and refers to free, real imps, not familiars, which are a spirit taking that form. Also, they use their reaction to deliver the spell as if they had cast it using your modifier. That's an attack, and breaks invisibility.
Your hypothetical wizard would need to be hit by the quasit, meaning his mage armor/protectors/shield spell failed. Then he needs to fail a DC10 save, which he has a 50% chance of at -1 Con. Then he can still use save based spells with no issue, and repeat the save at the end of each turn. The Sprite's poison is far more useful and still isn't too strong.
>>
>>49721986
>>49721993
Technically the magic resistance rule is a rule that applies to imp familiars. Which the pact of the chain is. I suppose a very stingy dm could deny the players, but it wouldn't be good policy.
>>
>>49722047
Pact of the Chain nets you the Find Familiar spell and allows your familiar to take the form of an imp, quasit, sprite, or pseudodragon. It doesn't actually summon an imp, just a fiend (or fey, or celestial!) spirit in the shape of one. Now, if you've got a hotline to a devil perhaps you could work something out to get a real imp, but then you've also got an independent NPC and not a familiar under your direct control.
>>
>>49720034
>Tavern
Yeah, it's been done a thousand times. Never gets old, but gets cliché after a while.
I'd rather have the players thrown straight into action, and then having a little bit of lore telling them what they're actaully doing. Something like : "As you can recall, X hired you to hunt/kill Y yada yada yada..."
>>
So in a few weeks we're finally going to be finished with Rise of Tiamat and be moving on. I'll be taking over DMing, and I'll be running Out of the Abyss.

Now, in addition to giving the Prisoners of the Drow personalities and actual class levels (PDF), with the idea that they will always be 1 level behind the PCs and can serve as convenient "backup characters" should one of the PCs die, I'm also setting up a system whereby they won't join the PCs in the Underdark unless the PCs do at least two out of three things for each of them while they're all prisoners

1) The player help them in some way - offering healing, taking the blame for something, protecting them from the drow in some way, etc. In the case of Ront, either beating him in a fight (proving you to be stronger) or totally submitting to him (becoming Ront's lackey) will work as well.

2) The players pass a DC 15 skill check while talking with them. The check is up to the PCs. This is probably the most "natural".

3) Retrieving an item that is important to the NPC from Velkynvelve and returning it to them (or helping the NPC do so). Each of the items are minor magic items and are kind of meant to be like Boo or Edwin's amulet in Baldur's Gate, except they'll work for the players as well as the NPCs.

This last bit is tricky to balance around since I want them to be very minor magic items. So tell me what you think of them, /tg/; I'll be glad to scale them back if they're too powerful.

They'll be in the next post due to character limits in this one.
>>
>>49721993
The spell being cast by the familiar is only an attack if the spell required an attack roll. There are plenty of buff spells with touch range. Including encounter changing spells like fly, invisibility, and remove curse.
>>
>>49722121
Oops, meant to click on OP not the guy I replied to, sorry. Ya'll still get the point.
>>
>>49722069
The form the familiar takes had the statistics of the imp. Which includes magic resistance. Again, you're being an unreasonably stingy dm with that erroneous ruling.
>>
>>49722069
And fiend warlocks by definition have a hotline to a devil. Are you retarded?
>>
File: Velkenwhatevah.png (875KB, 905x524px) Image search: [Google]
Velkenwhatevah.png
875KB, 905x524px
>>49722134
And here they are.

Buppido's Knife
- Found in the Elite Barracks
- Wielder heals 1 hp when the knife deals lethal damage to a foe.

Derendil's Cloak
- Found in the Quaggoth den
- Wearer has +1 AC against spell attacks

Eldeth's Shield
- Found in the Guard Tower (whichever the PCs go to)
- Wielder has +1 AC against monstrosities

Jimjar's Charm
- Wearer has 1 luck point (as the feat). Does not stack with the Luck feat.

Ront's Belt
- Found in the Barracks
- Wearer's carrying capacity is x20 Strength instead of x15; can push/drag x40 instead of x30

Sarith's House Insignia
- Found in the Shrine to Lolth
- Spiders are Indifferent to the wearer (unless commanded to be otherwise)

Shuushar's Beads
- Wearer can heal a free 1 HD on a short rest

Stool's Bones (the bones of a rat)
- Found in the Shrine to Lolth
- Possessor can use them to cast Animal Messenger 1/week (the bones animate and serve as a the messenger, then return)

Topsy and Turvy's Stone
- Found in the Quaggoth Den
- The stone glows (5 ft. bright light, 5 ft. dim light) when it is night

Topsy and Turvy intentionally have the weakest item since they're arguably the strongest, most game-breaking characters by default, even if I hadn't given them class levels.
>>
>>49722241
Wow it's fucking nothing.
>>
Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana (October 2016)

New UA out /5eg/

What are your thoughts?

[http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/encounter-building]
>>
>>49722273
Wow it's still fucking nothing.
>>
>>49722140
This is a fair point, but sorcerers get a similar trick with distant spell anyways.
>>49722155
The familiar takes the form of the imp, which had a statblock detailed in both the PHB and MM. The imp has magic resistance. Following the VARIANT sidebar for imp familiars, wherein the familiar is an actual imp summoned from the Nine Hells (not a spirit in the form of an imp), it shares this trait with its master when within 10 feet. However, this familiar will try to convince its master to do evil things because it's a devil and independent, and can/will leave when it wishes, or rather when its contract is broken since they're bound by it.
>>49722167
They do, but this does not mean that by default they benefit from it.

I'd say that being a fiend pact warlock is enough qualification for contacting something or other and getting an actual imp as a familiar, but you'd need to roleplay it out and form a contract, and the familiar would be an independent NPC with a personality I roleplay. Granted, one that is entirely obedient as long as things fall within the contract, but potentially evil when not under leash and constantly trying to bait them into terrible things.
I would probably even allow them to summon the imp using Find Familiar instead of some planar spell if it died, unlike actual pseudodragon variant familiars which die when they're killed.
>>
>>49722155
The Imp's magic resistance is a creature statistic, but the sharing of it with a master is a DM sidebar.
>>
>>49722266
To be honest, Mearls had said that the upcoming UAs were a) Encounter building, b)Downtime activities (i.e. ways for high level characters to spend gold) and c) The Full Mystic/Psionic Class
>>
>>49722292
At most you can say is a variant, which it is, but it is a variant that would apply. If you allow feats, this is no more powerful.
>>
File: 1473609652777.gif (3MB, 294x238px) Image search: [Google]
1473609652777.gif
3MB, 294x238px
>>49722281
>>49722266
>>
>>49722295
Looking forward to downtime activities to supplement my own take on them.
>>
>>49722295
I realize that, but I was expecting more insight from this. An actual guide. I got more out of reading blogs than this bullshit. CR as a system is barely helpful for making encounters good.
>>
Player just PM'd me and wants some people to assassinate on his assassin (playing dragon hoard and @ the temple of chauntea)

What do?

I was thinking of allowing him for some stealth during the current mission, perhaps allow some opportunities to stab some cultists or cut off the reinforcements or something by stabbing key figures.

He also said he'd like to assassinate someone innocent
>>
>>49722155
You're a retard
>Monster Manual
>book of player options
Pick one and then read up on the argument you're trying to make
>>
>>49722328
>He also said he'd like to assassinate someone innocent
a baby cultist
>>
>>49722338
>Druids can't wild shape into beasts that meet all criteria but don't appear in the phb.

This is the argument you're making.
>>
>GM ressurects the spirit of our fallen friends to beat the BBEG
>The leave after the combat ends with a smile
That was pretty cheesy...but awesome
>>
>>49722298
Idiot.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/
>>
File: 1471539675049.jpg (102KB, 430x627px) Image search: [Google]
1471539675049.jpg
102KB, 430x627px
>>49722328
Yeah, that sounds good. Give him some intel and perhaps give him and a caster in the party the chance to undergo some brief duo missions on the down-low and then have this shown with fewer enemies later or being disorganized from lack of leaders, maybe even infighting, and-
>he'd like to assassinate someone innocent
Why. I had hoped your player just wanted to flex their skills and help the mission.
>>
>>49722348
Go argue with Crawford
>>49722353
>>
>>49721859
exactly, is not broken, glad we agree.
>>
>>49722328
- In Baldur's Gate, the Guild contacts him and wants to meet him at the Low Lantern. They want him to kill a certain Patriar. They're going to him rather than using one of their own assassins for deniability purposes, as well as the fact that he's going to be leaving the city soon himself anyway.

- During the Caravan trip, one of the NPCs contracts the assassin to kill one of the other NPCs. Within moments of that NPC leaving, however, the target NPC shows up, says he overheard everything, and offers somewhat more money for the assassin to kill the first NPC. This starts a chain of each NPC trying to outbid the other (in the vein of the two old killers in Chinatown from V:tM - Bloodlines, if you've ever played it)

- In Daggerford, a foppish noble who has somehow heard of him approaches him and tries to contract him to kill Mumsy, since the old bat just refuses to die and and pass on the family fortune. He offers the assassin a large amount of gold to do so (howevermuch you think it would take to make the assassin's eyes widen). Turns out that "mumsy", however, isn't just some old noble herself, but a retired (and still dangerous) adventurer, or better yet some kind of monster like a lamia or medusa in disguise or something, making the whole fight harder than just killing an old lady.

- In Waterdeep, the Zhentarim contracts the assassin to preemptively kill one of the dudes who's going to be on the Council in Rise of Tiamat. If successful, this will allow the Zhents to be part of the Council from the get-go in Rise.
>>
>>49722353
If you're going to go to the unofficial site, at least pick up the one designer whose Twitter rulings are official, who agrees that the mm stat block applies.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/25/the-warlock-familiar-has-all-monster-manual-stats/

The mm presents imp magic resistance sharing as a variant rule, as official as feats.
>>49722360
He posted mearls retard.
>>
So the ressurection spell revives someones, but doesnt cure any curses they might have right?

So could I force someone to wear a cursed Girdle of sex to change their gender, then kill them, then resurrect them as their opposite gender permanently?
>>
>>49722281
They've only ever released two decent unearthed Arcanas, one of those being the ranger yet /5eg/ eat this shit up every month.
>>
>>49722392
until a remove curse spell is cast upon them...
>>
>>49721829
I'd say you have two options. Kick him now before shit hits the fan, or let him play but let him fully understand that 5e is nothing like 3.5 where you could become a god by level 10. Also tell him halflings don't know all martial arts. I mean, monk halflings probably do but not all halflings do.

In truth there is no way to truly "break" 5e, at least not in the same way 3.5 could be broken. That player could try for a divination wizard halfling with the lucky feat but I would not even call that broken. At best, its a very effective way to alter the odds in the favor of the party in certain situations.
>>
>>49722406
Well thats why I keep them locked up in my dungeon silly
>>
>>49722403
Out of interest what do you think the only other good one is?
>>
>>49722385
Crawford never mentioned the variant sidebar half a dozen pages away from the imp's statblock in the Monster Manual. Mearl's ruling stands if we're looking to the devs.
>>
>>49722403
I personally have enjoyed several of the UAs. The Eberron one was very useful in making the base races for my Ravenloft campaign (namely I adapted shifters wholesale and used warfoged as the basis for the wrought), Light, Dark, Underdark! has presented good options for my upcoming Out of the Abyss campaign (notably I like the Undying Light), Modifying Classes is a good reference sheet, Feats is great (I love Gourmand), and Waterborn Adventurers will be something I get a lot of use out of once I finish revising Princes of the Apocalypse to be a sprawling adventure taking place across the whole of the Shining South rather than being confined to one location in the Sword Coast.

And of course the Ranger Revised UA was awesome and very needed.
>>
>>49722430
Mearls ruling has no weight. Only Crawford has the ability to rule over Twitter.

What the hell is confusing about this? Do you agonize over whether feats are official, or whether variant humans are?
>>
>>49721862
in feudal systems historically such debt when defaulted on resulted in prison or in servitude
>>
>>49722392
I'd say no, they come back as their true form. And, additionally, I'd say it would be a long shot to revive them in the first place if you're the one forcing them to wear cursed objects and killing them. It sounds like torture, and I don't know who would accept a resurrection spell so that they could get tortured more. I'd rather just stay in the afterlife.
>>
>>49722444
But anon, Shifters were underpowered as fuck, and Warforged very boring
>>
>>49722444
>The Eberron one was very useful in making the base races for my Ravenloft campaign
?

The Eberron races were uninspired shit senpai.
>>
Is there anyway reason my Moon Druid shouldn't be in Crag Cat form during downtime / freetime?
>>
>>49722458
Even if Mearls has no bearing, Crawford didn't mention the issue in question with that link.
And no, I don't argue that the variant isn't official. I DO argue that you can't cherrypick half of it to use- you can get a real imp familiar bound by a contract that is an independent thinking being that will try to make you do evil things and quit if you break a contract you made with it, and also the shared resistance. Or, you can use your class feature and summon a spirit that is an extension of yourself in the mimicked shape of an imp, with no shared feature.
>>
>>49722467
So I beefed them a little. They still formed the basic chassis that I built off of.

The point of UA (stated with every UA release) is to provide ideas for content, not necessarily actual content.
>>
>>49722355
Dno, but I guess he's still fleshing out his character as well or needs it for some char building, he's mentally scarred and feels the need to boost himself up by inflicting pain/death onto others.

Really like the idea of duo missions.

>>49722378
Really like the 2nd and 4th one, cheers! I should watch some old movies again with an fun/interesting plot
>>
>>49722515
>The point of UA (stated with every UA release) is to provide ideas for content, not necessarily actual content.
Actually the point of UA is so they don't release another ToB.
>>
>>49722509
Giving an imp personality is just good dming anon. Fleshing out the pact between warlock, position, and imp is just good dming f that's your only issue your either a shit dm or have a shit dm. The rule also says the imps display unusual loyalty to their master, but I see you've chosen to ignore that. And your accuse me of cherry picking. Hilarious.
>>
>>49722515
is that UA? that dhampir and that shifter are still pretty underwhelming, specially the feral dhampir and savage shifter, shit tier indeed
>>
>>49722615
No, they were made by me, but I'm still working on them. The feral dhampir is mostly because the Bloodlost trait is potentially really, really powerful (you have advantage on everything to do for 1 whole round, after all); I suppose I can just remove the level of exhaustion, though.

Savage could instead gain the unarmed strike as a free attack 1/Action while shifted, but I'm worried that's too powerful.
>>
>my group decided on a whim to have a comedic and borderline-magical realm side campaign in addition to our main one
>All Slut Party
>im volunteered by the others to be the GM for this one
>idea is so stupid it's funny

What do i do /tg/?
>>
>>49722677
>1+Str
>Powerful
Well, we might have to ban battlerager then

And advantage for a whole round is powerful, yes, but 1 exhaustion level is really hard, and you need a whole night rest to remove it, dunno, depends on the situation, I only see it as balanced when you're a high level martial with lots of attacks or a warlock spamming EB. At low levels advantage to one attack or one spell can be accomplished with a familiar, smart tactics, possitioning, etc for example
>>
>>49722723
All female sluts?

How many of your players are women?
>>
>>49722723
The chosen of Ghanadaur has found a secret portal into the Feywild. A lone dryad flees onto the material plane, finds your party and delivers her dying request... "Please, you must save... the Valley of the Unicorns"

Christopher Perkins Puckered Boyhole Presents: Journey into the Valley of the Unicorns

awwwwwww yiiissssssssss!!!
>>
>>49722749
Almost all of them are guys except for that girl who pretends to be a guy.
Honestly the only part i hate about this is finding a source for comedic material.
>>
File: 1431974990532.jpg (50KB, 358x362px) Image search: [Google]
1431974990532.jpg
50KB, 358x362px
>>49722723
>>49722749
>>49722768
>Turns out one of them is actually a virgin who's just used sleep, illusion and charm spells and a good set of hands to make her living
>>
>>49722734
1+STR or DEX with every attack for 1 minute, up to three times between short or long rests by 10th level. Or, in real terms, an extra 4-6 damage per successful hit. Over the course of 10 rounds, if only half of those hit (or if they all hit but are resisted), that's an extra 20-30 damage, which is not insignificant: it's about 15-20% of a CR 10 monster's typical total hit points.

As for the dhampir, I'll remove the exhaustion and make is usable per short or long rest rather than long rest, and refine the other two bloodlines to also recharge on short or long rests rather than only long rests.
>>
>>49722821
>+1 str = 4 to 6 extra damage

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49722773
Just use the normal games and then have the players break everything so horribly it's funny.

Strahd even hinting that any of the players are throne-worthy.
>>
>>49722821
Bonus action is the key word here anon, there're way better stuff to spend a bonus action as a martial than that shitty 1+Dex/Str

Examples: Martial arts, TWF, GWM, PM, XbowXpert, etc
>>
>>49722841
It can be reasonably presumed that a character who regularly makes melee attacks will have a Strength or Dexterity of between 16 and 20, which means a +3 to +5 bonus.

Which means that a free attack that deals 1 + Str/Dex can be reasonably presumed to deal 4 (1+3) to 6 (1+5) damage.

Do you...do you not understand why bonded accuracy was introduced? It's so that math like this could be done.
>>
File: 1472071870993.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472071870993.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
>>49722841
>What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49722860
I'm sure, but I'm arguing why I wouldn't want to change it to be a free attack as part of a melee attack action right now.
>>
>>49722866
Psst I think he confused 1+str with +1 str
>>
>>49722901
I think so too, but I want to show that I'm actually doing math here and not just coming up with racial traits out my ass.
>>
>>49722880
This is what we do in my group:
When shifting you have natural attacks 1d4+Str/Dex and you have as a bonus action when you attack a natural attack that deals 1d4+Str/Dex

A pseudo martial arts that doesn't scale, I might even think on scaling it for people who want to go full feral with natural attacks and aren't going use weapons
>>
>>49722912
Not a bad idea, but then that probably leaves the other two shifter variants in the lurch. Dashing as a bonus action and getting +2 AC don't really seem to stack up to that.

Any suggestions? The obvious intent is to have an "attack" shifter, a "defense" shifter, and a "gotta go fast" shifter.
>>
I'm looking into DMing Storm King's Thunder and I can't wrap my head around some of these area encounter designs. Who thought this made sense?

>Dripping Cave
>a goblin will turn on the leader so you can kill him
>wants you to take out the ogres
>there's no feasible way to get to this goblin before killing the ogres because it seems impossible to get by
>>
>>49722985
I haven't read over that chapter yet because I'm going from LMoP to chapter 2, but I'll check it out and get back to you.
>>
>>49722933
+2 AC for 10 turns isn't that behind 1d4+Str per turn

Dashing sure, is pretty meh, I'd probably add enemies have disadvantage on AoO against you when you dash

I know balancing stuff is hard, not saying you did a bad job, just that 1+Str/Dex 10 continuous turns per day is pretty meh as fuck when for martials there're other stuff in where spend bonus actions that are actually better. One way of balancing stuff is thinking which classes will benefit from those features and see which other features enter in conflict with it, if it happens that there're better stuff around, improve it.
>>
>>49722933
>>49722912
What if:
If you use a weapon, your bonus action deals 1+Str/Dex
If you don't use a weapon, your bonus action deals 1d4+Str/Dex and you also have natural attacks that deal 1d4+Str/Dex?
>>
>>49722866
Sorry, it sounded like you were saying increasing strength by one would result in attach damage going up by 4 to 6. Which is why I asked for clarification.
>>
>>49722933
Thinking a little on this...what if instead, while the Shifter was Shifted, they gained a bonus feat for free for the duration of the shift:

- Prowling gets Mobile
- Resilient gets Sentinel
- Savage gets Savage Attacker

This is in addition to the normal Shifter bonus (temporary hp equal to level + CON modifier), and maybe give them a natural attack that deals 1d4 slashing.
>>
>>49723041
>Savage Attacker
Why not kill them instead? that's the worse feat there's in the PHB by far
>>
>>49722985
It seems like you could conceivably sneak around the ogres, one is asleep and the other is bathing facing an unspecified direction
>>
>>49723004
>+2 AC for 10 turns isn't that behind 1d4+Str per turn

Maybe not, but it certainly feels that way, or certainly feels bland as Hell.

>Dashing sure, is pretty meh, I'd probably add enemies have disadvantage on AoO against you when you dash

Like it. It'll be on any Dash while shifted, though, not just the bonus one.
>>
>>49723082
>>49722985
It specifies creatures in 1x only notice adventurers who make a lot of noise
>>
>>49720034
Start things immediately in the first room of the dungeon, rocks seal the entrance, and roll initiative.
>>
>>49721098
The anon is saying that being a shinto isn't a fedora thing because there's a monk class, which is much more of a fedora thing but is supported by the system.
>>
>>49723129
Start things *deep* in the dungeon. Have each player roll randomly to reduce their current hit points, spell slots, and other limited resources, to simulate that they've already been through a bunch of crap.
>>
>>49723172
>monk
>fedora
wait what? what does fedora mean now?
>>
File: drippingcave.png (1MB, 810x626px) Image search: [Google]
drippingcave.png
1MB, 810x626px
>>49723082
>>49723101
Someone's going to have to explain how a party who's not even level 3 yet sneaks across an open cave floor with every off-branching tunnel flanked on each side by a ledge full of goblins with darkvision.

The cave is completely dark, so no one in the party without darkvision can see without a light. But if you use a light, you're instantly spotted. So is everyone holding hands, blind, while the halfling leads them forward in complete silence? And the goblins just don't notice this, I guess, the same way that you wouldn't notice 3-5 people walking across your living room.
>>
>>49723176
Start things at the end of the dungeon. A giant dragon lasts dead at the players feet, and have them roll to determine what magic items they find in its horde.
>>
>>49723188
Did fedora ever mean anything?
>>
>>49722860
But there are classes and such that don't use bonus actions very often, and some classes and such that get additional damage on every hit.
>>
>Want to be Variant Tiefling Arcane Trickster
>GM "No, I don't allow broken races! core only"
>Me "Ok, I'll be high elf, I even get a cantrip for free so I can start with BB and GF and the rest is the same, thanks GM"
>GM "eh...mmm...fuck"
>>
>>49723234
>that don't use bonus actions very often
Tell me about these classes that make attacks more than often and don't use bonus actions for better stuff than 1+Str/Dex
>>
>>49723197
Doesn't look open to me. I see rocks and outcroppings, side-tunnels and blindspots.

I'm not saying that it's *easy*, mind, but at the least my rogue back at level 3 had a +8 bonus to Stealth checks, which is enough to automatically beat the passive perception of goblins (9) and ogres (8) without even needing to roll, since my minimum result was 9.
>>
>>49721736
It's more a set of guidelines, really.
>>
>>49723197
Firstly they should be level 3.
My whole group has darkvision, and the module specifies only loud noises trigger the goblins so who cares.
>>
>>49721900
le
>>
>>49723210
It's a nice red flag to out Fundies trying to crossboard their agenda.
>>
>>49723316
What player or character is going to even try that regardless of what the module says?

Who looks at a bunch of goblins on a ledge and says, yeah, I can walk between these two guardposts by crawling across the open floor, no one will notice. Everyone else, follow me, let's just scrape along here.
>>
>>49723387
You have a really weird perception of risk vs reward
Worst case is a few goblins might notice them, in which case they're close enough to the exit that they can just bolt
>>
>>49721645
Warlocks are a pathetic trap class and a familiar is only as useful as your GM lets it be.
>>
>>49723204
The players roll up characters, but then they find out the game takes place decades later and their PCs are old and retired, telling stories in the tavern about their wild adventures from years ago.
Then the whole game is a flashback and they are level 1 in the dungeon and it starts in media res, with occasional popouts to the framing narrative current day, and things get really meta as the story causes retcons in the older characters and the memories of what they did are imperfect and they embellish details about their exploits.
>>
>>49723426
>Warlock
>Trap class
You've never actually played a warlock, have you?
>>
>>49723285
oh...
>>
Why the fuck are there no setting books for 5e?

Will we ever see Spelljammer brought back?
>>
>>49723433
I like it.
>>
>>49723433
>tfw there's only one person in that picture I'd recruit into my party
>>
>>49723457
To be fair, the warlock has a lot of trap options. Like pact of the blade, or not taking eldritch blast.
>>
File: 1474886729351.png (2MB, 2121x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1474886729351.png
2MB, 2121x1500px
>>49723433
>All but one players die
>It cuts back to the 'tavern' scene, and it's a single lonely old PC snapping out of an episode talking to their grandchild
>>
>>49723517
What sort of shitstain are you that you say something like that and not mention who it is?
>>
File: Boredom.jpg (45KB, 604x442px) Image search: [Google]
Boredom.jpg
45KB, 604x442px
>>49722273
>it's nothing
I heard a rumor in here that there would be new downtime options based on gold and I was actually excited.
>>
>>49723387
I'd actually say "wait here" rather than "follow me" as I scout out the area.

I'm a 3rd level tea-leaf, mate, if things get Barneyed I'll puff faster than you can say bangers n' mash.
>>
>>49723433
The veterans are all trying to entertain a young kid. When one of them dies in story, it gets played as them misremembering it, and all the other players get to step in and tell how they saved their friend, giving them cool points. The entire goal of the game is to accumulate the most respect from this kid.
>>
>>49723540
>All the players die
>It cuts back to the BBEG in the tavern talking to his grandchild about these adventurers who tried to stop him once
>>
File: 3829-dlmylmnrgu.jpg (98KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3829-dlmylmnrgu.jpg
98KB, 1024x768px
>>49723433
"...I died? Wait, that's not right. Hang on, let me start again."
>>
>>49723545
The kind trying to get the thread to guess and begin describing all of the various characters and why they're probably played by That Guys.

>yes I play a gypsy belly dancer who throws playing cards like Gambit and I'm super sexy
>hello I'm a French Revolution-era assassin who uses a quarterstaff like Gambit and I'm super mysterious
>well met I am a smug half-even Wizard who hurls explosive projectiles like Gambit and I don't have pointed ears so you totally can't tell
>>
>>49723582
>The players and the BBEG all die
>It cuts out to an autistic child staring at a picture of a castle while his parents wonder what he thinks about all day long
>>
>>49723608
...show us on the doll where Gambit touched you.
>>
>>49723620
>Reality suffers a total collapse.
>It cuts out to a coma patient being pronounced dead by a doctor.
>>
File: 1462168838309.gif (8MB, 1272x1959px) Image search: [Google]
1462168838309.gif
8MB, 1272x1959px
>>49723620
>Nobody dies
>The BBEG comes back to the table with another round of drinks
>>
>>49723645
>The DM looks at the players after this happens.
>"You killed her."
>>
>>49723253
Fighter only really uses bonus actions for second wind, GWF if they have that (sometimes) or hex/hunter's mark if they pick that up. EKs are a bit of an exception.

Totem barbarians get their + rage damage AND don't often need bonus actions for anything much.

Rangers likely qualify if they're not spamming hide or hunter's mark or whatever.

Paladins do not use bonus actions too much.

Spellsingers can add their intellect modifier to attacks. Though, they may well be using shortswords anyway. Does mean they can go rapier + unarmed attack and not need to fuck about with their weapons to cast spells as they're going one-handed, for (1d8+1)+(2xdexmod) damage instead of (2d6)+dexmod.

Maybe cleric too, if they don't feel like getting spiritual weapon up.

Eh, it'd require a bit of thought but I guess it's not gamebreaking at all even when it does come up.
At least it's not the bullshit like 'You get a cantrip that can be cast at any time as a bonus action that makes people take saves deals 1d4" which is more trolling the DM than anything.
>>
>>49723652
>nearly eight megs for a gif with fewer than 10 frames that's primarily white space
this is why hiro is going to sell us off
>>
>>49723188
Fedora in this context is basically weeb anime shit that an anon wants to play.
>>
>>49723672
>Fighter only really uses bonus actions for second wind
Kill all non-Shieldmaster Fighters
>>
>>49723433
I am totally stealing this for use as the framing device for Storm King's Thunder.
>>
File: RDI5Cover.png (2MB, 1000x1224px) Image search: [Google]
RDI5Cover.png
2MB, 1000x1224px
>>49723517
What about these guys?
>>
>>49723672
You forget about PM, TWF, Shield Master
>>
>>49723672
>Spellsingers can add their intellect modifier to attacks
what?
>>
>>49723850
Orc with a book and old priest are acceptable. Dwarf is also cool provided his friendship with mysterious blue elf rests on MBE being a total bro.
>>
>>49723553
That will most likely appear in another UA. November's is confirmed to be the Mystic class.
>>
>>49723891
He's some kind of retard .
He means Bladesingers (Wizard shool) can add INT mod to their attacks eventually.
Probably gonna reply saying "muh English as a second language" even though nobody's making him post here instead of some Armenian RPG forum.
>>
>>49723919
I just can't wait to be disappointed with this latest implementation of the mystic class.
>>
>>49723905
This is the MBE.

>First Mate Remy
>Remy is an honor-bound swashbuckler from a faraway land. As First Mate, he keeps the crew in line. He’s always the first to step in and break up a fight. The more experienced members of the crew know it’s better to back down before they get on his bad side.
>The Good: Remy keeps an eye on the crew and makes sure ne’er-do-wells get their comeuppance.
>The Bad: If you’re a ne’er-do-well, Remy’s got some comeuppance for you.

Captain Whitehawk (the older woman in red petting the lion to the left of Remy) is his CO.
>>
>>49723457
Yes I have. I felt like a spellcaster who couldn't cast spells. It sucked.
>>
>>49723941
From the looks of the revised Ranger and the new encounter building guidelines (which are actually pretty solid, albeit boring and very tangential to the actual game), they will hopefully do a good job!
>>
>>49723984
The encounter building guidelines are not anything new or super useful.
>>
>>49723867
>TWF
Ahahaha
Ha
Haha
Good one.

Shield Master and PM are actually good points, though.
Fighters will definitely have oneo f those.

>>49723699
Shieldmaster feels a bit weird, because it encourages strength for athletics yet also encourages dexterity for the shield's reaction ability and further encourages dexterity for the sake of the fact sword-and-board is probably better done with dexterity in general, given the account of rapiers being just as good as longswords there.

I do love shields, though. Never really played a fighter.

>>49723940
>implying

>>49723891
Like other said, it's referring to the bladesingers. There's no other -singer in the game.
>>
About how often should paladins use their spell slots for things that aren't smiting?
>>
>>49723997
Agreed, but it is a simpler system than the XP addition method. Mind you, with the existence of the kobold encounter builder, I doubt this will see much use, but a good addition nonetheless (probably something that should've been in the DMG to begin with).
>>
>>49724041
>>49723867
Oh, well, I'd have to think of a fighter that doesn't use PM, TWF (For a fighter?), SM or GWM. Could probably get away with MI because it's only once a long rest.

An archery-based fighter with that 'close quarters archery' or whatever feat from the light/dark/underdark UA seems the best fit here, really. I think one of those should have plenty of bonus actions free.
>>
>>49723245
Sounds like you GM needs to read the book.
>>
>>49724041
you're an idiot
>>
>>49720003
>memorable creatures
Party found their way into fantasy jurassic park, and besides the dinosaurs which led to a lot of memorable stuff the party found one of the failed experiments as well
>enter abandoned church
>big hole in the floor
>toss a torch down to see how far it goes
>torch lands, describe something slimy quickly leaving the range of vision
Party goes through church, getting some loot, player tries to tame quetzalcoatlus, doesn't go well
>decide to go into basement
>tunnels
>describe rocks, looking exactly like natural rocks, but having been turned into a spongy substance by acid leaking into pores
>crawling through these spongy tunnels, lighting barrels on fire and pushing them down slopes to see ahead, etc
>one member scouts ahead, sees a huge shapeless form
>ask for will save, goes running in a random direction
>form follows, it's a gross collection of t-rex mouths, shriveled limbs, and skin
The tyrannical mouther.
I kind of low balled the creature, just scaled up HP damage and ac on a gibbering mouther and I could have done more with it, but they told me the lair and atmosphere combined with the gibbering effect (Including noises by me for good measure) really creeped them all out. So mission accomplished.
>>
>>49720003
Sentient Spider Cleric of Lolth. Was insane, and they almost died. I made the Spider have an acid sting that caused the victim that died from it to melt over the course of a few house, while they're paralyzed. Didn't manage to kill anyone with it, but it did hurt a lot; cleric almost died.
>>
>>49723467
Maybe, the team got shaved to nothing.
>>
>>49723632
Mon' cherie
>>
>>49724062
Bless is fucking strong, but it's concentration. If anyone else in the party can cast it, then there's really not much else you need.
>>
>>49720721
The irony is that that is fairly accurate an assessment of Golarion. Kudos.
>>
>>49723975
Did you not take any at will invocations? Or have any short rests?
>>
>>49724130
A scathing rebuttal, sir.
>>
File: The Mimeoplasm.jpg (264KB, 945x690px) Image search: [Google]
The Mimeoplasm.jpg
264KB, 945x690px
>>49724171
>collection of t-rex mouths, shriveled limbs, and skin
>The tyrannical mouther
Terrific.
>>
File: 1391837059617.jpg (143KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1391837059617.jpg
143KB, 633x758px
I don't want to be a fucking DM anymore.
>tfw i get constantly bitched at by my players
>Always bitching about not getting enough XP, whining that stinking bandits desperate enough to attack a party of 2 paladins a cleric and a ranger don't have any worthwhile loot
>last session
>What the fuck DM, we only got 300 xp each from that three floor dungeon
>well i dont make encounters based off the rules, I just throw in whatever fits thematically
>NO FUCK YOU DM YOU'RE FUCKING DOING IT WRONG YOU'RE ALWAYS FUCKING DOING IT WRONG WE'RE SUPPOSED TO GET AN AVERAGE OF X EXPERIENCE PER SESSION AND LEVEL UP EVERY Y SESSIONS WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU FUCKING FOLLOW THE FUCKING RULES YOU'RE SUCH A SHITTY DM HOLY FUCKING SHIT WE'VE BEEN AT LEVEL 5 FOR LIKE TWO MONTHS NOW THIS IS FUCKING HORSE SHIT I HATE YOU
>all of the other players are nodding along with him and glaring at me
>start crying a little bit
>guy who was screaming at me calms down, goes "wow holy shit dude relax" and tells me where the bathroom in
>cry in the bathroom while the players discuss how much of a pussy I am

I don't like doing this anymore...
>>
>>49724399
Get a new group. Problem solved.

Alternatively, it's better not to have a game than to have a bad game.
>>
>>49724399
Tell your players that. If that player continues to be problematic, play without them. Perhaps someone else would be willing to step up to DM.
>>
>>49724041
You don't need a whole heck of a lot of Dex to make it worthwhile. Even a mod of +1 or 2 can save your ass.

The real meat of the ability is shoving things to the ground every round for free advantage
>>
>>49721407
Dude, by your own logic, do you really want to be insulting one of Baba Yaga's kids?
>>
File: Shar.jpg (309KB, 942x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Shar.jpg
309KB, 942x1200px
>>49724399
My thoughts on your post: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1udwARXqb7v

Also here's a haunted painting of the goddess Shar
>>
>>49724399
And that's why you use milestones
>>
>>49724236
Damn, when the cleric is nearly dead, you know it was a tense session

>>49724171
>Fantasy Jurassic Park
Love it. It's mine now. Also, having to crawl through spongy tunnels certainly seem unnerving. Something about dark, claustrophobic areas that really add to the horror!

Kudos to you both
>>
>>49722482
>I need my special snowflakes options to be as uber-special as possible.
Maybe...just maybe....they can just be fucking playable? So that you'll shut up and get back to playing the game?
>>
>>49724454
I'd call it the other way around.
'You don't need a whole heck of a lot of Str to make it worthwhile.'

I'd rather do:
15/16 strength (for +2/+3 to grapples, and heavy armour)
Up to 20 dex (for dex saves, initiaive, ability to wear stealthier armour, better stealth checks, etc etc.)
>>
>>49724399
Four problems
1. Your friends are shit
2. You're a pussy
3. Your friends aren't pussies
4. You should probably listen and cater more if you feel it's justified. 300 xp for a three-floor dungeon sounds pretty lame if you're not giving any other sources of exp either.

'You should automatically level up for simply having sessions' sounds like a bad way to do it.

So, really, get better players or give up. You'll never live down being around them again.
>>
>>49724041
Dunno why are you laughing, Ranger and Rogue benefit a lot from TWF. Fighter even has a style that adds full Str, and 1d6 (1d8) +Str is better than 1+Str/Dex
>>
>>49724531
Athletics is strength based for the shove prone.
>>
>>49724525
Yeah, it was rough. The tide turned when the barbarian got a lucky crit and lopped off one of the Spider's legs, then the rogue noticed that she had an egg sac on her belly. He stabbed it, which caused her to retreat, allowing the group a moment to catch their collective breath.

Then, of course, fire.

The cleric, who, normally, would be far away from melee, was stuck because she was formerly a prisoner of the drow and hated spiders with a frothing rage. She was actually kicking it at one point (the spider had webbed her upper half already, after biting her with the melting acid poison thing).

Once the Spider dropped the cleric, they cut her out of the web while the Spider re-webbed her egg sac to prevent all several hundred driders from being born and decimating the region. Then the non-evocation wizard finally got to have fun and the final blow was dealt by the barbarian, who jumped using his ring of jump and greataxed the spider right in the "face", and took that falling damage--and the falling damage from the spider landing on him.

Was a great game...
>>
>>49724623
Er. English fail.

"...to prevent all her several hundred drider children from dying by being born too early...so they can decimate the region."
>>
>>49724635
>Er. English fail.
don't worry no one read it anyway
>>
File: laughing whores.jpg (125KB, 1300x957px) Image search: [Google]
laughing whores.jpg
125KB, 1300x957px
>>49721704
Imagine being such a loser that you're convinced the only way people can like you is if you make a """heroic sacrifice""".

Try living for heroism, pussy.
>>
>>49724592
Yes, but dexterity is still a better stat than strength if you're shield + one-handed.
The shove brings it more into conflict and 'do I want more shove power, or more fast?'

The question is just how MAD you're willing to go.

>>49724585
Fighters really don't need two-weapon-fighting unless they're an archery fighter, and even then if they have the feat that negates disadvantage within 5ft it's not really worth it.
Two-weapon-fighting will work out early on, but will lose effectiveness later.

The feat, 'two-weapon-fighter' isn't so great either.
You get, effectively:
+ 1 AC
+ 1 to damage
+ 1 extra damage on crit (+2 if half-orc, or +whatever if barbarian)
Can draw two weapons at once.

While that's nice and maybe good for, say, a dexterity fighter/ranger as a back-up, they'd probably be better off getting Magic Initiate and hex or something or using hunter's mark.

Rogue by default will be using two-weapon-fighting. The exceptions are if they gain shield proficiency or if they're an avid booming blader / green flame blader. They'd be better off increasing their dex though, and it'd only be good if they run out of stat-ups or useful feats.

Barbarians, bladesingers and a few others can make use of two-weapon-fighting, but it's mostly odd niches spread about the place.
>>
File: 1459689781967.png (605KB, 697x699px) Image search: [Google]
1459689781967.png
605KB, 697x699px
>>49721829
Kick him, you fucking dolt.
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (46KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
46KB, 340x565px
>>49721848
>I am sorry I am new here
>>
>>49724708
>Fighters really don't need two-weapon-fighting unless they're an archery fighter
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49724623
Well fuck. I have a player on my table who has arachnophobia and you've inspired me anon. I love the fact that she had an egg sac - whatever happened to the driders?

I'm inclined to run something similar to what you just portrayed but have the ceiling coated with thousands of baby spiders and there is a chance of a clump of them dropping and attacking the party (using the stats of Swarm of Insects).
>>
>>49724770
Presumably if you're an archer (High dex) a pair of shortswords is a good contingency for enemies within 5ft
>>
>>49724699
i'm sorry if you haven't reached that level of reading comprehension, but some of us aren't autists here anon.
>>
>>49724708
Rogue still is going to use either cunning action of TWF or xbow xpert rather than natural attack for 1+Str/Dex (specially when you consider you can't deliver sneak attack with those)

Ranger the same with hunter mark

I also forgot tavern brawler feat
>>
>>49724708
>Barbarian or bladesingers
>Picking a race that gives them +2 Wis +1 Str
Kay
>>
>>49724708
>>49724531
You tell me what's going to happen more often:

1) You, and you alone, are targetted by a Dexterity save
2) You are in melee range of a creature

I'm pretty sure it's #2, so you're going to be rolling Athletics far more often than adding Dex.
>>
>>49724788
>A pair of shortswords
>Putting away your bow and taking 2 turns to arm yourself again
>Not drawing a single weapon and using Pushing Attack or something similar to disable/remove the enemy from your immediate range and move back, ready to shoot again
>>
>>49724838
>DMs who follow weapon draw limitations
L i t e r a l l y terrible.
>>
>>49724846
Not going to disagree, but you're basically sayign 99.99% of GMs are literally terrible
>>
>>49724861
I'm not saying DMs should let people juggle three weapons at once even when it's not their turn, but requiring extra shit to whip out your two shortswords at the same time is insane.

Apparently an archer can pull this bow off his back with one hand AND pull an arrow (or four) from his quiver with the other, no problem, but yanking two tiny daggers or swords from your chest / belt is too much.
>>
>>49724800
Rogue wasn't really a 1+str/dex candidate. The ranger was kinda iffy.

It's barbarians, archery fighters, bladesingers (only maybe), paladins and possibly casters who don't always use their bonus action like wizards/warlocks?/sorcerers that would be getting good milage out of it.

Well, you know, I'm reading over the stuff now.
Honestly, that's not the broken stuff. It costs a bonus action to shift, a bonus action to then attack. Bonus action to dash.

No, instead, what the heck is the 'you gain level+con mod temporary HP and +2 AC while shifted and you can shift once/twice/thrice every short rest' deal?

Once you shift three times every short rest, that should mean you can shift almost indefinitely, which gives you a racial +2 AC and up to three pretty decent dosages of temporary HP.
The 'bonus action to dash' and 'bonus action to attack' are pretty okay, probably, but +2 AC is just tipping the balance on 'okay, this race is basically just a big combat boost.'
>>
>>49724833
Not all creatures can be knocked prone.
You might sometimes want to use your bonus action for something else.
You might, as said, not be in melee range.
A creature might be extremely resistant to shoves.
Dex saves can vary in danger.
Sometimes, knocking a creature prone won't matter much. Sometimes it might mean your entire team can play with them. Sometimes it might mean your party is disadvantaged, since they're attacking at range.

Honestly, it's not a simple A or B.

>>49724846
>igoring rules that make some encounters slightly different to other encounters, rather than a routine
>>
>>49724779
They burned the corpse with copious amounts of oil and spent a few hours stomping on the ashes (seriously; they actually said that they wanted to spend several hours stomping on the ashes to make sure all the little things were dead).

The set up was like this:

1. There was a huge, sinkhole like structure in the middle, that was covered over in web. Underneath, there were several dozen sacs of fluid that used to be creatures. These would eventually be food for her drider army.

2. From the ceiling hung 15 more of those sacs.

3. On the floor of the cavern was another dozen.

4. She had 12 driders of different types (I made up a little "mutation" table that gave them different things; one had a Predator-like bite attack, another had an extra set of arms, two had a different spell array, etc), and four low level drow who helped her, viewing her as an avatar of their chaos goddess. She also had lots of giant spiders around.

5. The adventure's hook was a forest that the party had to get through to get to the next city; it was rumored to be infested with spiders great and small, and merchants avoided it. The only other way to the city was a long trek around the forest to a river ford, which would have added almost a month to their travel time.

Putting in helper-swarms would make sense, if you increased the size of the hive. The Drow's plan was to create a "hidden" army in the forest made up of driders, having brought up an ancient shrine to Lolth to consecrate the area. They defaced the shit out of that; I think the barbarian took a dump on it.
>>
>>49724892
I already said that +2 AC was the best out of the three, the 1+Str/Dex is meh as fuck because enters in conflict with a lot of bonus actions from martials (being cunning action, marks, combat spells, TWF, PM, SM, TB, GWM, XbowXpert, etc) is pretty fucking rare you are going to get a benefit from it, that's why I said amp it to 1d4+Str/Dex and give them natural strikes 1d4+Str/Dex so at least if someone wants to go full feral doesn't become subpar as fuck
>>
>>49724924
Having played through PotA with two characters using Shield Master, I can say that prone-shoves happened in more than half of all combat turns, and the other uses of the feat maybe 20 times combined (most of them reactions in the fire temple).
>>
>>49724846
>Players who think not all the rules apply to them
>>
>>49724962
>GMs who are into micromanaging actions
L 1 t 3 r 4 ll y terrible
>>
>>49724929
Appreciate you anon. Deffo gonna be running this spider-themed encounter. Seems like a perfect fit for Halloween!
>>
>>49724962
>rules that make dual wielding even worse
>>
File: 1475262608459.jpg (36KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
1475262608459.jpg
36KB, 313x382px
>>49724994
>Thinking you can have multiple free actions
>Micromanaging

You don't know the meaning of that word, I can guarantee you that.

Also. There is literally a feat designed for people who want to be able to dual-wield (and draw more than one weapon). But of course, let's forget about that because "micromanaging".
>>
>>49721704
Do you want to play a new character anon? Because I had a player in my group who regularly tried to heroicly sacrifice himself, when he got bored with his character
>>
>>49724490

>listening to this

god damn you're a faggot
>comparing DnD to baking a cake
fuck off kid
>>
>>49724490

What did you mean by this?
>>
>>49725011
woe to any rules that get in the way of my speshul snowflake
>>
>>49725023
>take a feat to do something that every other character can do by default just because you want to use two weapons, which just happens to be suboptimal compared to just about every other form of combat
>literally being punished twice just to be a bit different
The fact that a player is dual-wielding scum is enough of a punishment already. They have to live with that brand for the rest of their life. No reason to make their character and the rest of the table suffer from increased mechanical inferiority thanks to draw rules.
>>
>>49724936
I guess 1d4 wouldn't hurt too much.

The +2 AC worries me a little.

>>49724954
Well, alright. Though dex saves should be the second most common save you'll be making, probably.
Still, you're sacrificing initiative, stealthability and all that fuckery too. Worse at using ranged weapons (though, ranged weapons are kind of awkward to use with shields), worse at crafting (probably) and worse in bed (probably).
If you end up doing other stuff like multiclassing a level into rogue, your athletics would probably be good enough that you wouldn't worry about a loss of +2 to shove, anyway.
Though, strength could put a level into barbarian for reasons, advantage to shove, resistances and +2 on damages.

I guess the deal is if you go dex sword-and-board you'll have to question if you really want shield master rather than something else. EKs feel the most shield-friendly, and they don't get a bunch of bonus actions to throw around if they want to war magic it up.

Eh. I'd say strength sword-and-board with shield master is maybe good if you have more melee than ranged in your team.
>>
>>49725031
No, it fit the situation, it made sense (because we were in some kind of hurry), it was dramatic and the game was literally about to end, so killing my character to reroll one was stupid (wouldn't even be able to play it).
>>
>>49724490

>it's like...if I wanted to bake a cake-

and dropped

be less of a retard when using analogies
gaming isnt cooking food
>>
>>49725023
>Archer can pick 10000000 arrows if he wants without needing a feat
>If you want to grab two daggers you need a feat or else you have to spend a turn
>>
>>49724490

>you should level up TWICE in a dungeon
>a three floor dungeon with thousands upon thousands of XP of encounters

dude 5e isnt 4e, stop acting like it is. you're done after 2-3 encounters, not 5-6
>>
>>49725084
I've seen a lot of Strength Fighters and they've all had 13-14 Dex because there's not much else to do with your points once you've pumped Str and Con. Cha is almost never needed, Int is only useful if you're going EK, so you're left splitting the remainder between Wis and Dex. Leave one uneven and you can pick up Resilient. Given that Wis saves are usually more incapacitating than Dex, which merely damages (and you have a self-heal), I'd go for the latter every time.
>>
>>49724399

how about you stop being a fucking whiny bitch and get out of the hobby forever, kid?
>>
My party is trying to fight an Aboleth, isn't aware of how its mucus works, and didn't bring water breathing or swimming effects, despite knowing that it lives in deep water.

How do I break it to them that they're fucking dumb?
>>
>>49725107
>an archer can draw his bow and fire nine arrows
>a javelineer can only throw once
uh, 5E???????
>>
>>49725160
>letting your party fight an aboleth when they clearly have no idea what one is
Aboleths are spooky-scary enough that you shouldn't able to get anywhere near them without a slew of tip-offs. This is the kind of shit that gets characters running back to town to inform kings and confer with sages. Deciding to fight one of these fucks in total ignorance is like a party of level 2s strolling across Tiamat in a field and throwing down.
>>
>>49725104
>>49725037
ok ok ok, i updated the metaphor

http://vocaroo.com/i/s16YJkNc8V5c

also this chick is how i picture wild elves, they claw at you and hiss
>>
>>49725163
If he had both drawn he could throw two, draw an extra one and throw that as long as he has 3 attacks
"REALISM" in D&D is retarded anyway I'm all for anything making martials a bit more effective
>>
>>49724996
My players got a kick out of it, so it worked out.
>>
File: 1468140463779.jpg (304KB, 1288x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1468140463779.jpg
304KB, 1288x1600px
>>49725163
>he didn't bond his javalin.
>>
>>49725188
Why are you recording responses instead of typing them?
>>
>bladesinger vs. bladelock for a spellblade
no EK, now go
>>
>>49725215
>he's throwing javelins as an EK
Everyone knows the best javelineers go Battlemaster and abuse Pushing Attack with >>49725199
>shoving an enemy 45 feet off a cliff or wall just by chucking tiny spears
>>
>>49725221
my keyboards broke
so id have to use the onscreen keyboard
>>
>>49725186
They've been back to town to search for help, and hired an entire mercenary company to help them.
To fight something they already know lives in deep water.
>>
>>49725081
Look, having played a dual wielding character as a PC, I am fully aware of it but I wouldn't exactly call it "punishment" if that's how the system is designed. If you're gonna disregard the free action rules, when they've specifically addressed it in a feat too, just seems like you want to have your cake and eat it.

Not to mention that the solution is just to grab the feat which also boosts AC and allows you to wield two non-light weapons.
>>
>>49725199
Book of weeaboo fightan magic when
>>
>>49725107
I'm pretty sure it was ruled that drawing the arrow constitutes as part of the attack action but sure, feel free to play the victim card. Just don't expect to get anything out of it at most tables.
>>
>>49725135
Wis saves are probably more important to get proficiency in, but dexterity is a more important stat. Perception is nice, but someone else will have a high enough perception to carry you about, normally.

Dex is a bigger deal if it's your main stat, because it allows you to use light armour for only -1 AC (and if you have 15 strength or you're a hill dwarf, you can just go heavy armour wheen you feel like more AC) and allows for ranged weapons, which can be tactically brilliant in the right cases.

I've seen far too many examples of 'I'm only good at hitting things in melee and my ability to throw weapons is limited and I'd do more damage in melee, so I'm going to run into melee despite the danger'.

There are so many times I'd wished I had a higher initiative on characters. Quite often it can equate to getting a whole extra turn.

Stealth comes up a lot, though you can often try and avoid it.

Dex saves are gonna be more important than strength saves.

I think with a stat array and a variant human I'd rather go (14+1) strength, (15+1) dexterity, 14 constitution if other stats weren't awfully needed.
That sounds boring though.
I'd go strength, start 1 level in barbarian, rest in fighter.

>>49725160
Offer them diving potions from a kindly old man.
who is secretly the Aboleth in disguise, and the potinos are potions of drowning.
>>
NEW THREAD >>49725297

NEW THREAD >>49725297

NEW THREAD >>49725297
>>
>>49722308
You made that? Skimmed it, looks pretty good
>>
>>49725273
drawing a weapon also constitutes part of the attack action, anon, or are you being ironically a moron?
>>
>>49724241
>Maybe
SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED BY GYGAX HIMSELF
>>
>>49723467
Because reprinting the same fluff that's been reprinted three or four times over is a waste of time and money on Wizards' part, when they sell *all* the old books digitally.
>>
>>49725188
i was with you until you had to bring the race in the mix.
>>
>>49724576

If he's going to do shit like that then do XP and milestones to level and see if they like that better. Really it just sounds like he's too lazy to design encounters and take XP into account.
>>
File: (judgemental stare).jpg (56KB, 517x572px) Image search: [Google]
(judgemental stare).jpg
56KB, 517x572px
>>49722723
>>
File: laughing cum dumpsters.jpg (106KB, 507x338px) Image search: [Google]
laughing cum dumpsters.jpg
106KB, 507x338px
>>49724399
>cry in the bathroom while the players discuss how much of a pussy I am
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.