[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 38

File: PalomPorom01.jpg (26KB, 390x400px) Image search: [Google]
PalomPorom01.jpg
26KB, 390x400px
>D&D 5th Edition General Discussion
>>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
>https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>>Community DMs Guild trove
>>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
>https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
>>Pastebin with resources and so on:
>http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>>/5eg/ Discord server
>https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>/tg/ character sheets
>https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ
>Previously on 5th Edition General >>49701031

How would you represent twin casting in 5e?
>>
File: 1365812965578.jpg (23KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1365812965578.jpg
23KB, 411x292px
Best second level Wizard spell besides Misty Step?
>>
>>49710041
>What is Twinned Spell metamagic?
>What is Quickened Spell metamagic?
I want Final Fantasy to leave.
>>
>>49710068
Hold Person.
>>
Reminder that 5e could have been great, but 3.pf fags ruined it in testing, because it was too much like 4th.
>>
>>49710103
So what you're saying is 4e ruined 5e?
>>
>>49708039
Not that anon, but you could have a sorcerer who tapped directly into the Arcane Power Source, instead of the weave. This would allow more 4e-like spellcasting, to a degree. Maybe have a 1st level power like:

At 1st level, choose a sorcerer spell you know. You can cast this spell at its lowest level without expending a spell slot. You regain this ability after a short or long rest.

To emulate encounter powers. Not sure how much you can do with the concept.
>>
>>49710116
No, 5e should have been more like 4th, with interesting martial classes and tactical combat options.
>>
>>49710085
Is Hold Person better than Suggestion, Mirror Image, Web and Scorching Ray?

Are these good spells? These are the ones I was considering but I am not good at spells
>>
>>49710187
What arcane tradition are you?
>>
How many levels of Warlock should I take before multiclassing to monk?
>>
>>49710209
Zero, they don't synergize.
>>
>>49710183
3.75 had tactical combat options, so did 4e, only 5e doesn't, stop playing anybody but Critical Roll.
>>
>>49710208
Divination, I liked the ability it gives and it fit my character's background nicely, but I don't think I'll specialize in diviniation spells, there's so few of them and most are pretty crappy or cheat spells to avoid investigating the actual mission.
>>
>>49710234
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49710068
Hold person, invisibility, scorching ray, and flaming sphere are some solid options for a wizard with second level spell casting.
>>
>>49710255
Personally I'd take Hold Person over Web.
>>
>>49710258
>playing
Blaming.

>>49710209
Why would you?
>>
>>49710338
Cuz I think it sounds cool
>>
>>49710209
If you don't care about spellcasting, then 2 Warlock levels for Devil's Sight invocation, then get 3 levels in monk for Shadow monk, which allows you to cast and see through Darkness and give yourself free advantage.

If you don't like shadow monks, then up to 5 Warlock levels for spells like Fly, Blink, and a few other utility spells. Of course, without Charisma, more aggressive spells may not work out well.

Now, if you want to be more Warlock than Monk, then take 2 Warlock levels first for invocations, then 1 or 3 monk levels, depending on how much kung-fu action you want, then proceed with more Warlock levels for greater spellcasting. If you go blade pact and choose a monk weapon like a Spear, by level 7 you can make two Spear attacks and two unarmed attacks, all with access to hex or darkness, depending on the situation.
>>
>>49710407
Monk does not multiclass well. If you dip Warlock, dip to 3 at absolute most.
>>
>>49710103
Reminder that 5e is great, and if you disagree that's just your opinion.
>>
Is there any one winged angel races homebrew, core, or 3rd party?
>>
>>49710513
If the wing doesn't work, you could just play an Aasimar with a cosmetic difference.
>>
>>49710338
What did critical roll have to do with it?
>>
>>49710524
>Aasimar
Nice! I knew I had saw something like this years ago. Thanks for this.
>>
>>49710209
If you can get them to mesh together well, I would suggest 4 levels in warlock before going monk. The ASI is very important, and the pact options and second level casting can be useful. I'm personally not sold on the concept but if it's what you wanna do I wish you the best of luck in your adventures with a monklock.
>>
>>49710513
Do you want a huge katana, too?
>>
>>49710538
The lead designer is a massive fan of those style of podcasts and they've greatly influenced the design of 5e. Mearls literally believes the future of D&D is watching other people play the game and fans will buy officially sanctioned guides to the homebrew worlds they're set in.
>>
Give me ONE reason why I shouldn't always start my games at level 4
>>
>>49710749
You have a new player in your group.
>>
>>49710749
idk, go for it I guess. I usually start my players at level 3, but that's only because it's the bare minimum for all of them to have chosen a class specialization
>>
>>49710749
Level 3 and level 5 are both more sensible spots to start, as 5 is a big power spike for most classes.
You either want some build up to enjoy the boost, or start with it straight away.
>>
>>49710749
Because level 3 is better for dropping in with character customization with the minimum amount of free XP.

And level 1 is rock simple, so it's easier for casuals who already take too long to make characters.
>>
>>49710586
He might be right, but again, what does critical role have to do with the oversimplification of combat in 5e? I haven't watched it too much.
>>
Resurrecting this new meme argument
>>49704013
>>49710719
>>49710022
>>49709869
>>49701398
>>49703227
to add : if your character is taller than 5', his head sticks out of the box, and will probably give the illusion away
>crouch wizards are the new meta
>>
Are there anything that synergizes well with a Ranger multiclass?
>>
>>49710234
>>49710538
>>49710586
>>49710883

>What did critical roll have to do with it?

Absolutely nothing. The Critical Role gang had been playing Pathfinder for a number of years and after the release of 5e, they decided to switch over in order to capitalize on the new market by switching over as well.

However, autists like to use it as a scapegoat because it is popular and they are annoyed that MUH DnD is now being infiltrated by "casuals" and "normies"!
>>
>>49710885
>not playing a gnome
>>
File: dsb1.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
dsb1.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>have DM'd all my life with the philosophy of respecting player agency
>allow players to shape the story with their crazy decisions based on the world I've given to them
>some college friends want to finally get into DnD
>run a game for them
>they literally want everything spelled out for them in terms of what to do
>I present situations that throws big hints that they can do anything they want
>players just wait for me to further get the ball rolling
>have dropped a shitton of hints across the adventure that they, the adventurers have a say in certain big events
>a big decision is put on them that might influence the future of this village they're questing in
>they look clueless
>they tell me they don't know what to do
>have NPCs nudge them about how the mayor respects you now enough that he wants to hear their say
>they don't have a clue what to do
>"I dunno, DManon, you decide!"
>they downplay moments where I make them feel like heroes and the center of the adventure's story as "putting them on the spot"
>post-session, they have expressed that they did not like how they felt lost in the world and wanted me to focus the story more cause they didn't understand Lost Mines' story
>one wanted a Gandalf to direct them around and help them in battles
>one even wanted me to offer a set of dialogue options "like how Mass Effect and Witcher 3 does with dialogue" cause he didn't know what to say

My brain feels drained after today. That was such a surreal DM experience. I'm all fine for respecting what the table wants but it feels weird as fuck when the table is telling me to railroad the entire adventure for them and hold their hand the entire time.

I might as well make that Gandalf-esque NPC for them and make him a grumpy wizard who will constantly tell them that they have the freedom to do what they want instead of waiting for the powers that be to push them to a direction.

Am I wrong here? Should I just respect their need to railroad and hand-holding?
>>
>>49710994
>retarded collegefags can't into their own agency
This is not surprising. Drop 'em.
>>
>>49710883
>Thinking you can complex, detailed and strategic combat "in the theatre of your mind xD"
>>
>>49710994
Run a module for them instead.
>>
>>49711062
>can't into spatial cognition
You should talk to your doctor, you might have early onset alzheimer's, in addition to you being retarded. :^)
>>
>>49710994
I disagree with >>49711081
If they can't even make their own dialogue, they'd be better off playing some video game ""RPGs""
>>
Does 5e have any dedicated summoning builds? Rydia was the shit
>>
>>49711143
>Summoning
Considering the way "conjure X" spells work in this edition, no build is going to be good at it.
>>
>>49710929
They also switched because they cut the time they played and had 8 players.
>>
>>49711123
>"That'll take 5 turns"
>Meanwhile, in those "5 turns" the Wizard has cast several spells, the Ranger's pet has travelled to Bethlehem and informed the 3 Wise Men that their saviour is in another castle and the Fighter has attacked once
>m-muh spatial cognition
>>
>>49710921
Depending on the archetype, Fighter. Maybe you can get some Rogue in there, but that's all I can really think of.
>>
>>49711195
You do realize your entire argument is "Tracking things mentally is too difficult for me"
>>
>>49710994
You might try some handholding, maybe a DMPC to help them along or something, at first. As they become more acclimated to playing, get a little more confidence, start to ween them off it, giving less direction and hints as time goes on.

Or you can just tell them to fuck off back to their vidya games. Whatever works for you, really. You don't owe it to them to DM for them.
>>
Is there a comprehensive conversion of the world of Golarion into 5e and if not what setting is the most similar?
>>
>>49711268
>for me
That's literally a scenario from the show your defending anon.
>>
>>49711285
I'm not defending anything other than Theatre of the Mind. Campaign vidcasts are retarded.
>>
>>49711272

Well, they love Lord of the Rings so I think weening them from railroad and handholding by having a Gandalf lead them around and having a dramatic death when I feel they have a better grasp on agency should make for a good session. I mean, if they save him with their choices, it'll be a big deal of development for them. That and I think they'll be psyched as fuck if they have their own Mines of Moria moment. I might homebrew Wave Echo Caves to be like that.

That said, yeah I won't owe it to them but a couple of them are some of my best mates and they've been wanting to check out DnD for a while since they wanted to get to know me more. I'm gonna give them another chance this week. I have to admit, I think it's time I try out DMPCing for kicks now that I have a reason to do it.
>>
does any one have player versions of the curse of strahd maps uploaded
>>
File: 12231656500351.jpg (30KB, 368x394px) Image search: [Google]
12231656500351.jpg
30KB, 368x394px
>>49710994
>trying to give the players agency
Let this be a lesson to you. There's a totem pole of players.

At the top of that totem pole are DMs for games like Dungeon world, GURPS, Mage: The Ascension or Torchlight, games with either mechanical or conceptual heft to them, and take a good amount of preparation to run well.

Next up are the DMs for more popular systems like D&D or Pathfinder, where they still need to create a world, but the system is less complex and holds their hand (in general, if there's a "how to GM" book that gets sold and is basically mandatory to being able to play, then you can rest assured that the system is for tier 2 GMs). These systems can easily be run off the cuff, and often entire sessions will be pulled straight out of the ass of the GM.

Tier 3 belongs to players for those more complex systems. While not on the level of even the most incompetent of GMs, these players have respect for the roleplaying process, and will generally be amenable to working together to tell a compelling story.

And finally, at the bottom of the totem pole, scrounging in the mud and filth of the ultimate degeneracy, are those players so unfortunate as to play whatever the most popular iteration of D&D is at the moment. these mewling shitlings must be spoonfed everything, never understanding even the most obvious of plot hints without being beaten over the head by it.

My advice is to either sharpen up your BabbyMastering skills, or switch to a system that doesn't attract all the most imbecilic players to it, like flies to vinegar.

No matter which choice you make though remember: you are the DM. By your nature you are superior to your players. Never forget this fact, and running games will become infinitely easier. Good luck anon.
>>
File: 1475803882539.gif (888KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
1475803882539.gif
888KB, 500x286px
>>49711415
>D&D players are idiots
>in 5eg
>>
What's your favorite flavor cantrip (Thaumaturgy, Prestidigitation, etc) and how have you used it in a meaningful way?
>>
>>49711543
He's not wrong. I'm a dm stuck in a 5e campaign because my friends like it.

I only browse this gen to shitpost and find interesting resources.

But my experience outside of my friend group so far is that 99.9999 percent of players are morons.
>>
>>49711415

Lets discuss some meta from a couple of threads ago tgers

If I cast Glyph of Warding on a table inside a caravan, and I drive the caravan around, does that break the glyph, or is the caravan the place where the glyph was cast?
>>
>>49711636
The answer hasn't changed since. This breaks the glyph.
>>
>>49711633
His totem pole thing is wrong though. I'd be at the second level of the totem pole, and I mainly play D&D; but I also appreciate more complex systems, 'have respect for the roleplaying process, and am generally amenable to working together to tell a compelling story.'

But I mainly play D&D 5e, so I'm babby trash tier?
>>
>>49711715
Applying absolute delimitations like the Totem pole hierarchy to something like this is absolutely retarded.

Glossing over the fact that the anon is a turbo-autist, it just assumes that people don't leave their strata and are isolated from all the others.
>>
>>49711081
He literally says he ran Lost Mines
>>
>>49710749
Start at lvl 2:

>most classes get their gimick or spells at lvl 2
>can look forward to lvl 3 Path choice
>can then look forward to feat/ability score
>don't have to include magic item rewards yet
>>
>>49711953
2 is best. Level 3 isn't too far off xp-wise, and they've avoided the shitshow that is 1st level encounters.
>>
>>49710077
He's talking about combining spellcasting from multiple people into a single spell.
>>
Question to DM's, how do you respond to clerics introducing their OC god to a fresh game? Do you straight up accept/reject, or does it depend on how terrible it is?
>>
>>49712123
My belief is that the game is supposed to be for the players, I allow whatever setting material they designed.

Worst case scenario: their character is allowed to BELIEVE that so-and-so god is their patron and leave it mysterious.
>>
>>49712123
Fine, and even encouraged. A good DM always react to the creative content and backstories his players bring to his table.
>>
>>49712123
It's a cooperative creation process. If the god is straight shit I usually work with them to make it make sense.
>>
>>49710994
Instead of Lost Mines, run something from the Pathfinder Adventure Paths; they're all different levels of railroady. Rise of the Runelords is fun and fairly obvious in its track.
>>
>>49712191
>>49712203
>>49712205
>she's the real actual secret creator deity, and a massive slut especially for me her one best only worshipper
>>
>>49712345
Ok, so I see people bring up autistic shit like this that your players apparently do all the time. Who the fuck are you guys playing with that they would think this is funny/allowed?

Not friends I hope.
>>
File: magicalrealm.jpg (58KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
magicalrealm.jpg
58KB, 500x392px
>>49712345
>>49712371

Hold my dice anon, imma jump right in there
>>
>>49712345

This is pretty much what fae pact warlocks already do
>>
>>49710209
Anon you start out with monk for better saves and keep with it till you each lvl 6.
Then switch to warlock for Hex shenanigans (as you have 3 standard strikes per turn), spend the invocations and other spells on utility like eldrich sight or eyes of the rune keeper etc.
Use the UA seeker pact to maximize your short rests.
>>
>>49712371
It's not a typical example, it's an extreme scenario to put emphasis on an otherwise less overt element of a more common scenario. It works as an alternative to a long winded summation and seeks to deliver with an element of humor as well.
>>
>>49712634
Not that anon but I get ya, I'd still work with the player to make sure that no magical realm/speshul snowflake gets through. I've noticed that death goddesses are almost always at the center of these, but never love goddesses.
>>
I just realized we never did get a UA this month, like we were supposed to. Did Mearls ever say anything about it?
>>
File: X5q5sPj.jpg (26KB, 394x396px) Image search: [Google]
X5q5sPj.jpg
26KB, 394x396px
What's the difference between 5e and 3.5 planes? I just recently joined a group that seems pissed at the changes 5e made to the planes but I cannot for the life of me understand whats so different.
>>
>>49712698
I'd take it as an opportunity to have a player delusional and fanatical over a trickster being pulling the strings, probably a demon or fey. It might be a further stretch for them to actually be getting cleric powers in that scenario, but it's workable.
>>
>>49712740
He hasn't said anything but if we do get one, it's likely to be tomorrow.
>>
>>49712773
All I can remember is the elemental planes got muddled somewhat, with the barriers between them flowing together and the whole thing trailing off into the elemental chaos. The EC hails from 4e, so it's likely triggering them.
>>
>>49710749
I start at level 1 because i have a huge boner for having players struggle with a cr 1 monster then trounce lots of them later on
>>
What would make a good fourth to a party of a Fighter, Bard and Rogue?
>>
>>49711560
Thaumaturgy has its uses.
The glowing eyes for intimidation help, sounds as distractions (helps with sneaking at times), booming voice to make sure you're heard in noisy places (specially helpful for bards), flinging doors open to bypass some traps...
>>
>>49712820
Also I don't remember if the shadowfell and the feywild are still a thing, but they'd do the same thing for the same reason.
>>
>>49712858
Dex fighter or strength fighter?
>>
File: CRIMSONKING.jpg (87KB, 582x600px) Image search: [Google]
CRIMSONKING.jpg
87KB, 582x600px
What are some good ways to play a SCHOOL OF ILLUSION based Wizard?

First time playing a wizard in general, so getting used to the support rather than dps.
>>
>>49712773
Um...

The Negative and Positive Energy Planes are now on the outskirts of the "Great Wheel" instead of... wherever the fuck it was they were before, when they were part of the Inner Planes.

Only the Paraelemental Planes of Magma, Ice, Smoke and Ooze remain, and they're literally part of the Elemental Wheel on the map.

No sign of the Quasielemental Planes.

The Elemental Chaos of 4e is still a thing and now is the "final layer" between the Inner and Outer Planes.

The Elemental Planes have changed to a more Exalted style design of "closer to the Material = like the Material but Element is dominant; further from the Material = Element becomes all encompassing". This is closer to how 3.5 did its planes, but it's not the 2e "each elemental plane is an infinite, unbroken mass of its native element" approach.

The Feywild and Shadowfell from 4e have been kept.

Mostly, it's just not a word-for-word perfect recreation of Planescape's version of the planes, and Planescape grognards tend to be whiny bitches even by D&D grognard standards.

Sounds like that's what you ran into.
>>
>>49712858
Sorcerer, wizard, warlock, druid, or cleric would all work quite well. Is the bard going valor or lore?
>>
>>49712894
The first step to playing a good illusionist is having a dm that will let you pull it off. If you don't have that forget it entirely.
>>
>>49712820
>I'm a newfag to 5e in general so you're going to have to speak to me in layman's terms

Is that seriously it? I remember one of them talking about that pissing him off and he also mentioned that some of the races (like for example some sort of froglike one) was moved from a specific area in the material plane to the elemental planes for no apparent reason and some sort of incorporeal intelligence eater was removed entirely from 3.5 to 5e. Do any of those ring a bell? I've got no experience to go on so I need some help here fellas.
>>
>>49712928
>a dm that will let you pull it off

My dm is pretty good, definitely rule of cool unless it's too overpowered. What type of things specifically?
>>
Anyone know of any good homebrews for a magic swordsman? Looking for something that buffs their weapons via magic.
>>
>>49712903
Is that really such a big deal? I don't really understand much about planescapes in d&d but aren't most of those things mentioned easily fixable? Like just bring back the quasi elemental and normal elemental planes without much fuss or is it easier said then done?
>>
>>49712939
My first thought about frog people is the Slaad, but I thought they were more an outer plane thing. No idea on the other one.

Generally though, they're getting hung up over *really* specific and likely obscure shit that no one should care about. I'd avoid them.
>>
>>49712973
Wizard and armour feats would work wouldn't they?
>>
>>49712973
There are a ton of "magic knight" classes and subclasses this edition.
There isn't anything perfectly matching what you're asking but I'd say play a Paladin with the smite spells and fluff your smites as weapon buffs since that's how they behave anyway.
>>
>>49713008
The fluff is always adjustable to the game you want to play. They're just being internet-autistic.
>>
>>49712973
why do you need homebrew

EK / AT in player's handbook, bladesinger in SCAG.
>>
>>49712876
Strength fighter
>>
>>49712973
Eldritch knight is pretty much ezactly what you're looking for, alternatively you can use spells like shilleagih, take armour feats, get into con str and int and you should be set
>>
>>49712921
Bard is planning to go valor I think
>>
>>49713021
No. I'm not trying to cast magic. I'm enhancing my weapons via magic. I'm still 100% melee and just smacking shit to add fluff points of damage to the strikes just for the roleplay.
>>49713031
Yea I was thinking of going Paladin if I can't find anything good.
>>49713040
>>49713055
I'll check out Eldritch Knight then. I kept hearing how it was just a magic slinging wizard in heavy armor so never looked into it but I'll look now. Thank you
>>
>>49713077
EK is an evoker / abjurer that's also a fighter.

Bladesinger is a wizard of whatever type that likes to go into melee combat because reasons.
>>
>>49712954
Up to your imagination, really.

Early on, you can create illusions of boxes or fog, hide behind them, and fire off your spells from behind cover (since you automatically disbelieve your own illusions and as such can see through them, but your opponents need to come close and interact with them to discern that they aren't real).

Once you hit level 14 (although admittedly most campaigns don't go that far), you can do some even dumber shit, DM permitting. Create an illusion of a door on a wall, make it real, walk through it. It's cartoon magic.
>>
>>49713077
Eldritch Knight is just a fighter with some magic tricks.
>>
is there gamma world for this edition yet?
>>
>>49713090
Basically just abjurer, as fighters with fireballs is pretty much shit.
>>
>>49713090
>EK is an evoker / abjurer that's also a fighter.
correction, EK is a fighter that's also an evoker/ abjurer
>>
File: 1458347799109.jpg (87KB, 736x547px) Image search: [Google]
1458347799109.jpg
87KB, 736x547px
>>49713020
>>49713039
I guess that's true, they play 3.5 but when it comes to the rules they really don't give a shit. There was even a 30 minute long joke about my paladin interviewing prostitutes for a brothel. I said I wanted to roleplay but that's not what I really had in mind. I'm a little bit hesitant to tell them it's over, one of them fucking sketched my character with the other pc who runs the brothel.
>>
>>49712903
Do people really take this Hasbro lore seriously?
>>
>>49713061
A cleric or something full caster like a Druid would be good. You're going to be in need of healing and caster goodness.

Life cleric would be best because it makes you efficiently heal, which means you're not burning through too many slots and can blast when you need to.
>>
>>49713188
Cool. I wouldn't mind playing a Cleric. I figured we might need somebody with healing anyway.
>>
hey, why isn't there a 3.5 general? I got some questions about that (me & my friends are about to play some)
>>
>>49713225
Make one, if you like. Or ask in the pathfinder general, they're probably a little more amenable to it than us, though if you ask here it's probably fine too.
>>
File: 1475768717396.gif (165KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1475768717396.gif
165KB, 200x150px
>>49713174
I dunno, do people really take you seriously?
>>
>>49713225
/pfg/ would probably know.
On the other hand, it is against my morals to tell someone to harm themselves, so I cannot suggest going to /pfg/.
>>
File: face darkness.gif (771KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
face darkness.gif
771KB, 245x245px
>>49710041
What is this abortion of an OP?
>>
>>49713225
Because it's a 16-year-old system that's no longer supported and has been largely supplanted by Pathfinder, a derivative of its OGL material.
>>
>>49713225
well then start one, dumbass.
>>
File: 1475354580968.jpg (638KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475354580968.jpg
638KB, 1280x800px
>>49713061
That helps the comp greatly. I'd advice having your last party member be a cleric or a moon druid. Knowledge /arcane cleric would be best so you could cover your int skill checks more solidly while having more healing. Life cleric is also solid if you want more healing and the bard and rogue have skills well covered.
>>
>>49713215
A lot of people don't realize the potential of the life cleric, and usually opt for either tempest or light.

If you only need to use a couple slots for healing spells, it opens up a lot of potential blasting that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise.
>>
>>49713251
okay. well, I was going to make a character and wanted advice for it

>Maenad
>Multiclass
>>Lion Totem Barbarian with whirling frenzy isntead of rage
>>Totemist
>>Warblade
>>Psychic Warrior
>>Fighter (for the extra feats)
>>Possibly another psionic or incarnum class for the extra points
>>maybe something to help with unarmed combat
>Feats focussing on dealing damage (dual wielding, better unarmed, psychic weapon feat tree, etc)

I'm trying to build a damage HEAVY class. I don't need anything but to be the guy to fight the heavy hitters
>>
Is there a list somewhere with character bonds? I need to change mine.
>>
>>49713408
Like the character background bonds? If so check the PHB in the trove.
>>
>>49713428
Like character flaws, bonds, traits, etc.

I was hoping for a sort of custom list for ideas. I'm not sure if there's a decent collection of those things.
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 832x690px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 832x690px
>>49713108
I can be in Toon Town in this lifetime. Feels good.
>>
>>49713444
If you just go to the Background section of the PHB and take a look at all of them, it's a pretty extensive list.

I think dandwiki has a bunch of homebrew backgrounds and you can check those out too. But as for a generic lost, that'd be rather difficult to come by. Most people organize that shit by the overlying theme of the background.
>>
>>49713108
>Create an illusion of a door on a wall, make it real, walk through it.
I don't think that even if you made a door you could make the opening to walk through. It creates a false material it doesn't shift matter into shadowstuff.
>>
What background would suit a beggar? I had the idea of a dragon sorcerer whose draconic traits manifested as mutations making his appearance fairly disturbing, something he keeps largely hidden. His charisma is more of this shocking appearance and the force of his personality being soft spoken but rather intense. Before adventuring he was a beggar because his appearance made people shun him.
>>
>>49713503
urchin
>>
>>49713503
First thing that came to mind is an acolyte. Imagine a homeless child being pulled off the streets by a well meaning church, only for drama or his own nature to cause him to loose his way again.
>>
>>49713513
I don't like how urchin keeps his background bound to a single city though. I see him more a wandering beggar.
>>
>>49713043
I would recommend another beefy dude that isn't so sneaky-skillful, ideally a cleric but a paladin works well too.
>>
>Game is in 3 hours
>I barely have anything prepared and I'm feeling lethargic
>>
>>49713575
Is this a continuing campaign or are you starting fresh? If the former describe what the current situation is, if the latter I can throw some things at you.
>>
>>49713586
Continuing campaign right now. We went on a brief sabbatical because one of the players took a Euro trip, but now we're back and I have nothing to show for the last couple of weeks.
>>
File: Wanderer Background Feature.png (28KB, 954x119px) Image search: [Google]
Wanderer Background Feature.png
28KB, 954x119px
>>49713537
>>
I started to make a restoration for the playtest maneuvers, what do you guys think?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sk2mmEO0
I don't know how to get it from homebrewery to .pdf
>>
>>49713575
Just start doodling walls on a grid paper and pretend it's a master plan.

Randomly throw in a fight with a exotic type of enemy whenever they roll for something, anything.

The players won't know any better.
>>
>>49713610
Yeah that's all well and good, but I was trying to squeeze some campaign context out of you, something to work with you know?
>>
>>49713627
You might as well just say "everyone gets the third level Battle Master feature" at that point, it works basically the same.

Martial Dice in the playtest were a per-turn resource that replaced what is now Extra Attacks. You either added them to damage or used them for maneuvers, and the extra damage was basically always better than the maneuvers.
>>
>>49713627
Your page says the Fighter gets these 2d6s but does this replace the PHB fighter superiority dice?
>>
>>49713627
go to the share link you just posted, then click 'get pdf' in the upper-right corner
>>
>>49713715
>>49713627
not him, but I would just make the battlemaster particularly good at maneuvers, give them better dice(like 1d8, 2d4, or smth.) or advantage on maneuvers and more things to use their dice for.
>>
>>49713615
Where is this from?
>>
>>49713758
i made it a long time ago for a monk
>>
>>49713693
Battle Master adds damage, Maneuvers don't

>>49713715
Nope. In fact, I need to put in a thing in the next section that says "Battle Masters don't get maneuver dice. Battle Master maneuvers are significantly better than everyone else's

>>49713725
It doesn't save as a .pdf for some reason
>>
>>49713825
for me, when i click on it, it brings up a page to print. Then, that page has an option to save to pdf.

IDK, you might need to install something that lets you print to pdf. I don't have any examples for you, though. I'm a shitty IT guy.
>>
>>49710103
Reminder 5e in its current state is still better than either of them so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>49713858
>>49713825
CutePDF lets you print as a pdf
>>
>>49713810
I don't think the DM would let that fly. Thanks though.
>>
File: gibbering-wall-2.jpg (60KB, 640x457px) Image search: [Google]
gibbering-wall-2.jpg
60KB, 640x457px
What is essential to a "controller" enemy?
>>
>>49711415
>Dungeon world
>top of anything

You made it too obvious, anon.
>>
Idea for Wild Magic Sorcerers:
Whenever you cast a spell, roll an additional d20. If the roll is less than (spell level + 1), roll on the wild magic table. Cantrips count as 0-level spells for this purpose.

Removes a bit of the DM fiat from wild surges. Thoughts?
>>
>>49714003
They boost allies or hinder opponents but are not much of a threat directly.
>>
>>49714040
Is it intentional that cantrips can't trigger this?
If that's the case, why specify they count as 0-level instead of just saying "cantrips don't trigger this feature"?
>>
>>49714080
>cantrips count as 0-level
>roll is vs. spell level +1
Cantrips have a 5% chance.
>>
>>49714080
>>49714162
Actually I re-read that. Should be equal to or less than. My bad.
>>
>>49714162
>If the roll is less than (spell level + 1)
>If the roll is less than (0 + 1)
>If the roll is less than 1

Learn to math, retard.
>>
>>49714040
The only fiat needed is on Tides of Chaos, otherwise you can just the d20 roll on every leveled sorcerer spell cast.

My general rules for WM sorcs are:
- Roll 1d20 on any leveled sorcerer spell cast, wild magic triggers on a 1.
- If you've used Tides of chaos, wild magic triggers on 5 or below.
>>
>Want to run a game for friends
>Nobody has any days off together, or even a single night per month we can all meet and play
Well shit. Any experience with doing 5e as play by post?
>>
>>49714355
Sounds like shit desu
>>
>>49714355
Playing online would be better if it's a possibility.
Play by post tends to just not work.
>>
How do you decide CR of enemy spellcasters, or design an enemy spellcaster of a certain CR?
Should their damage be based on their highest level spells, average, or their cantrips?
Same with AC - do you count stuff like Mage Armor?
Etc.
>>
>>49710041
Anybody have a game I can join on roll20? I've been itching to play, but nobody's free tonight.
>>
File: darkmage.png (58KB, 336x726px) Image search: [Google]
darkmage.png
58KB, 336x726px
>>49714441
Come up with a combat tactic, then determine their average damage over the first three rounds, assuming any AoE effect hits two people. As for AC, assume that they cast mage armor before the combat.

tl;dr Check the DMG section.
>>
>>49714441
I'm pretty sure there's rules for that in the DMG anon. If not, then you should base the CR on stats and possible actions they can take. Are they high-level casters? Do they have legendary actions?
>>
>>49710077
>>49712102
Seriously though, how would you make it work?
I'd like to play two characters (basically twin sorcerers) that require being in contact to be able to cast spells. My DM said that if I can come up with a balanced mechanic for it then he'll let me do it. Any ideas?
>>
>>49714441

You usually calculate by Spell DC's. From there, you can get a proficiency bonus, which places their level. That's generally easy enough.
>>
File: The Ariant.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
The Ariant.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I said I would make Awooo homebrew race yesterday. So I did. I also managed to not stuff it full of Momiji (even though she is megacute). Awooo

Tell me if I should buff or nerf. Also yeah, I know how it looks.
>>
>>49714477
Thanks. Hadn't thought of the three-round thing, that's a good point.

>>49714497
>>49714503
Noted, cheers.
>>
>>49714539
Ya done goofed. I can't read half this shit, it fell off between the second and third page.
>>
>>49714531
The three-round thing is just what the DMG recommends. Make an enemy spellcaster the same way you'd make any NPC or monster- the rules in the DMG are pretty decent on this matter.
>>
>>49714587
I'm vaguely familiar with the NPC creation rules, I wanted to double-check about spellcasters because they have resources to expend rather than inbuilt abilities and reading the CR1 Evil Mage casts as a 4th level Wizard surprised me.
>>
>>49714522
Remove the animoo art and you actually have a decent homebrew document there. Not bad, anon.

My one criticism is the grammar clause on languages. That feels like the kind of fluff that doesn't belong in the traits, but the description.
>>
>>49713483
Fair enough. Thanks, I'll look into both of those things.
>>
>>49714636
The combat will not last long enough for a proper caster to expend all of their resources.
>>
>>49714564
Here's my maneuvers, fixed, in a .pdf
>>
File: e29[1].jpg (266KB, 1733x2000px) Image search: [Google]
e29[1].jpg
266KB, 1733x2000px
>>49714638
The description was already kind of long and going in a lot of places. I kind of like it when there's small bits of flavor in places like that myself. If some other guys say the same thing, I'll move it elsewhere.

Also, the animu art is gonna stay. It's awooo, man. Awooo!
>>
>>49714522
Looks good to me.

Now to run the Felau and Ariant in the same setting, replacing humans. Muahahaha.
>>
>>49714714
To each their own. Your fluff and crunch is good, I just don't find your choice of art that appealing for something d&d related. Despite being kind of a weeb myself outside of gaming.

>>49714743
We Dog Days now, anon.
>>
>>49714662
Also probably true, although a combat involving multiple enemies where the caster hangs back and is defended by mooks can give them half a chance.
>>
>>49714500
The trick isn't to modify the whole system to allow combining spells. Instead, design a spell (or multiple spells) that involves a second caster as part of its mechanics. They'd be a touch over twice as good as a normal spell of its level.
>>
File: FelauForTG.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
FelauForTG.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49714778
>>49714522

Dogs and cats, living together. What a time to be alive.
>>
File: wow,RUDE.jpg (33KB, 510x363px) Image search: [Google]
wow,RUDE.jpg
33KB, 510x363px
>>49711415
Wew there laddy, you put a lot of effort into that shitpost, didnt ya?
>>
File: 1459933194511.jpg (57KB, 650x448px) Image search: [Google]
1459933194511.jpg
57KB, 650x448px
>>49711415
>>
>>49714825
Either this race is strong or
>>49714522
This race is weak.
>>
File: 1422382376868.png (170KB, 502x375px) Image search: [Google]
1422382376868.png
170KB, 502x375px
>>49711415
here's your reply friend
>>
File: 1463813126431.gif (1MB, 170x113px) Image search: [Google]
1463813126431.gif
1MB, 170x113px
>>49714986
>>49714884
>>49714856
>responding to a bait post from hours ago
be calm
>>
>>49714522
>immunity to lycanthropy
How dare you not let me be a double werewolf.
>>
>>49715176
Bro, go be a double vampire for that.
>>
>>49715187
Wrong Edition.
>>
>>49715176
Added that just to stop it.
>>
>SVT
>First combat in Bryn Shander is 3 frost giants and 2 winter wolves
>20,000 adjust XP difficulty
>intended for a party at level 5
Even if you had a full party of 6 players, and each one of them got their NPC to attend the fight for a total of 12 players at level 5, the fight is still considered deadly.

Is Drufi supposed to be the classic villain who shouts out, "Ahahah, you will now face all of my minions.... one at a time.... but surely you won't make it through them to me!" The book pretty much flat out says that players are going to have to kill her.
>>
>new D&D players
>everyone wants to roll stats straight down
>no one gets above 9 for con
>no one gets above 9 for dex
This can only end well
>>
>>49715385
Sounds like a fun campaign
>>
>>49715385
Sorcerer X for Quickened Metamagic and Fireball shenanigans.
>>
File: Fair but Random Stats.png (136KB, 1240x1116px) Image search: [Google]
Fair but Random Stats.png
136KB, 1240x1116px
>>49715385
>Rolling for stats in a modern RPG balanced around point-buy
Fucking RIP. Next time, try this on for size. It's balanced for OSR games, but whatever.
>>
>>49715385
Give them ample opportunities to play dirty
>>
What's a good way in 5e to be a guy who fires magic arrows, like an arcane archer but...different maybe? I mostly want to be able to (not necessarily constantly but every now and then) be able to fire arrows that are either wreathed in or made of energy.

Lightning arrow exists but it doesn't seem like a very good spell.
I thought a bit about maybe playing a warlock who's focus is a bow and "fires" his eldrich blasts but I'm not sure I want to go that far in that direction. I'd like to at least be able to fire a normal bow's normal arrows some of the time.

Ranger and eldrich knight seem like the go to's, as does maybe bard. Any suggestions which of these, or any others really, sounds like a good method?
>>
>>49715623
Rangers get Flame Arrows in EE. Other spellcasters can also cast this on you, although it isn't a great spell
>>
>>49715623
Honestly, just go EK, and have the "arrows made of magic energy" be your fluff for single-target spells that require a ranged spell attack roll.
>>
>Forever GM for 5e
>Go to play adventurer's league
>No one comes besides GM so I just make my character
>Working on my character when someone asks what I'm doing
>Show them, help them make a fighter, teach them how to play DnD.
>Run a few battles for them
>tfw I'm still GMing.
>>
>>49714522
Give me three good reasons why I should play this race over any other.
>>
>>49715925
If you're a weeb who is into awooo, it fits.
If you want to play a humanoid with canine characteristics but dislike Shifters, especially those in the godawful Eberron UA, it fits.
If you want immunity to Lycanthropy.
>>
>>49715947
You could replace that first one with +2 Wis, really. Can't think of many that have that.
>>
>>49715925
+str/wis is good for clerics, druids (less so, admittedly), and some kinds of rangers
Immune to lycanthropy, for werewolf-hunting games
awoo and/or fluffy tail
>>
>>49715975
>+str/wis is good for clerics, druids (less so, admittedly), and some kinds of rangers
Battlemaster and Monster Hunter Fighters appreciate it too
>>
File: No awoo.png (422KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
No awoo.png
422KB, 600x600px
>>49714522
>>
>>49716055
Awoo was indeed had
>>
>>49715975
>Wolflike traits
>Immune to Lycanthropy
>Make good Monster Hunters
I'm sold.
>>
>>49714809
How's this?

>Sorcerous Origin: Twin Magic
>Your innate magic comes from a bond between you and another magic user, established at birth. This bond is unbreakable, and gives you access to spells that you otherwise might never have been able to use. In spite of the name, twin casters are not necessarily twins born together, but individuals who share a deep, mystical bond.

>1st level: Twincasting
>At 1st level, you mystically bond with another magic user. The caster does not need to be a sorcerer, and they do not need to be a twincaster.
>On your turn, when you cast a spell within 10 feet of your partner, you may expend 2 sorcery points to allow your partner to expend a spell slot. If they do, then the level the spell is cast at is increased by a number of levels equal to the spell slot that your partner spent.

>1st Level: Twin Connection
>At 1st level, you bond with your partner so deeply that even separations across space cannot keep you apart. As long as you are on the same plane as them, you know the direction and distance away that they are. If you are separated onto different planes you are unable to locate them until you are in the same plane as them again.

>6th Level: Twin Connection
>Beginning at 6th level, you may enhance your partner’s spells using your metamagic. Metamagic feats used in this way are 1 sorcery point more expensive than usual.

>14th Level: Twin Empowerment
>Beginning at 14th level, you learn how to access unique spells working with your partner. When you level up, you may choose from this expanded spell list.
>[Insert table of new spells available to the subclass]

>18th Level: Twin Unity
>Beginning at 18th level, you and your twin become so unified that your magic begins to bleed over to each other. You may spend a number of sorcery points to cast a spell that is known to your partner but not you, as on the “Creating Spell Slots” table.

Just a rough outline obviously, but how do these abilities look in general?
>>
>>49716098
You are wolf, hunter of wolves.
>>
>>49716107
Metamagic features, not feats.

6th level ability needs to specify what kind of action it takes. I'm assuming reaction.

14th level ability needs expanded on, obviously. It would be neat if you had several different lists, based on which spell list the twin casts from, but would also be work intensive.

Otherwise, it seems neat. I like it, but I have no clue if it's balanced.
>>
File: UA The Faithful.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA The Faithful.pdf
1B, 486x500px
If you guys were making a Theurge Wizard, what domain would you pick?

Also, Theurge seems just really poorly made. There is no clarification on a lot of things.

Is the one Cleric spell you can take whenever you learn Wiz spells counted as a Wiz spell for you?

If you get a Cleric feature or ability from Theurge, and said ability/feature has some thing that runs off Cleric level or Wis, is it instead Wiz levels or Int for you?

This just seems like such amateur stuff to miss, and this was made by a lead dnd designer?
>>
>>49716162
> Unearthed Arcana
> Missing small detail and not balance yet
Gee I wonder why
>>
>>49716162
Here's how I run it at my tables:
>Yes, they are treated as wizard spells for you.
>Wizard Level, but still Wisdom Modifier
>>
>>49716162
They'll have to make the Theurge at least twice more before it's decent.
That said, all homebrews of it will also be shit.

It's a class for 3.splatbookers. And thus inherently garbage. Let 3.5 go, Anon.
>>
>>49716214

>Be Bard
>Have half-orc fighter in the group
>Suffers from the Nerd playign Martial Syndrome, thinks being a good role player is constantly wanking at how powerful like Guts he is and how other people better watch out because he can one shot clothes
>After the latest round of bullshit he finally decides to come at me violently because he couldn't outplay me in a fraud scheme to gain ownership of our town
>Says he's going to kill me with orc trial by combat
>Trying to bully me with his obscure counter measures
>Fine, let's do this
>Arena
>Initiative
>Cutting Words
>I go first
>Pull Wand of Binding
>He was expecting that and it failed
>As a "bonus action I'm going to cast"
>Talisman of counterspell
>Nice counterspelling of a healing word genius
>"My turn, your dead"
>"As a free action, I'm going to say "Anticlimax"
>"What?"

>The Glyph of Warding that dimension doors anyone heavier than 150 pounds 500 feet straight up into the sky activates
Felt good man
>>
>>49716162

You do understand that Unearthed Arcana isn't official content. Its shit the designers are tossing around and share so player base will play test and prove feedback or to fix it for the "designers" or tell them what doesn't work or what they like or hate about it. Its a cunt hair above home brew garbage with some "official" stink on it.
>>
>>49716287
>The Glyph of Warding that dimension doors anyone heavier than 150 pounds 500 feet straight up into the sky activates

uh huh, and what 10x10 surface or object that didn't move more than 10ft did you scribe that on?
>>
File: 1381234064857.gif (52KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
1381234064857.gif
52KB, 204x204px
So, I'm playing a campaign as Solaire because I'm an uncreative fuck and my party needed a cleric. After 5 levels of praising the sun, Solaire gets blinded.
As in, slashed-across-the-face-and-now-has-no-eyes blind.
Our DM has let us know that lesser restoration didn't help at all, and we are a bit too low level to cast greater restoration, or regeneration, and we are in a more rural area that doesnt have very many high level people.

I'm thinking I'm going to have Solaire pray to the Sun a few times for sight or guidance, and if that fails just give up on being a cleric. Or should I just have him start madly worshipping whatever gives him sight back?
>>
>>49716364
You must find your own sun, my friend.
>>
>>49716287
Glyph of warding only works on 3rd level spells and under, dimension door is 4th level.
>>
>>49716377
glyph can be heightened for higher level spells, but that still leaves everything else that is wrong in his story.
>>
>>49716377
Nevermind, I suck dicks. Just went and read the bit that says what happens if you cast it with a higher level slot.
>>
>>49716364
>Lesser Restoration
>>explicitly mentions it can end the Blind condition
>>>DM says it didn't work
What contingency plan does your DM expect you to be able to undo the blinding?
Did he just want you to play a different character?
>>
>>49716372
He did find a Driftglobe and started using it as an effigy of the Sun while spending a long rest in the underdark
>>
>>49716349

The town's gladiator arena

Which I had a hand in building as the only character in town with proficiency in wood carving

Also, objects can't move, but surfaces can

I have my vardo stuffed to here with Glyps of warding on every chair, wall and table
>>
>>49716364
hope that your DM has some sort of relevant story plot to restore your sight and not that he's some sort of stupid asshole.
>>
>>49716364
Look for ways that you can get around your new blindness. Area of effect spells, defensive spells, unique load outs that will allow you to do your job without needing your sight.

I'm really restraining myself right now. There's a ton of potential here for an absolutely amazing story arc desu

If you really aren't having fun with it, obviously talk to your DM about it, or just make a new character, but I think you should give it a chance.
>>
>>49716409
Its not so much as just blind, as much as missing eyes. And it was a random crit effect from the alternate crit chart.

I guess I did say I kinda wanted him to have more character development than just wanting to fuck the Sun.
>>
>>49716364
Talk to your DM, he needs to come up with a way to make you better or handle your blindness until you can get it properly taken care of.

Like an old hermit whose a healer who can help out. Or you could try to pray to your god with some praising and do something weird like stare into the sun but instead of going blind (since you are already) you gain your sight back if the sun is your god.
>>
>>49716372

Divine Intervention for "Please, blind me if you must, but let there always be light for my friends" or alternatively, take a few days dumping all your healing spells on it before a long rest. After a while, a DM might allow that to work

Greater restoration doesn't work on Blind, just Blinded. If it was a curse or something, sure, but your eyes exited, there's nothing for it to restore greatly.
>>
>>49716436

take magic initate and pick up a familiar to watch out for you
>>
>>49716425
so you just so happened to have enough time, spells slots, and powdered diamond to coat every fucking surface of an arena in the off chance you might fight in said arena.

Sure.
>>
>>49716484

It's more of a really big fighting pit.

And I didn't need to cover the whole of it. Just the 10 feet in the middle.

Besides, spell glyphs have range of, RAW, "A certain distance"

Condition: Upon activation by password, teleport next heavier person than the caster 500 feet vertically up.
>>
>>49716513

it was actually 4 glyphs really.

glyph 1 to activate glyph 2 by password
glyph 3 to activate glyph 4 by dispel magic

Where glyph 2 = glyph 4
>>
>>49716484
Yanno, it's not that impossible. If the challenge was issued the previous day, for example, he could've easily sneaked in at night to prepare it. Arena fights also usually start at the center of said arena, so a single glyph there would suffice. Just stand in front of it and let the melee fighter come to you.
>>
>>49716513
>Slipper of Feather Fall
>>Anti Magic Zone 490 feet up!
>Drink a potion to gain wings after out of anti-magic zone!
>>I replaced that potion with poison
>Knowing you would replace that potion, I hid mine in a fake tooth
>>I knew about the fake tooth also, and made it a glyph of warding to cast fireball, the command is Masturbatory Exercise!
Here you go, I extended your "teleports behind you" bullshit shenanigans a little bit more.
>>
File: Aygohr.jpg (9KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Aygohr.jpg
9KB, 320x240px
>>49716513
95% of greentext stories are complete made-up bullshit.
The other 5% simply aren't interesting in the least.
>>
this way if his rollplayer buddy druid saw it coming and tried to do a "quick cleanse" before the fight, I'd still have it covered.
>>
>>49716542
It's a hologram.
>>
>>49716542

Come on Anon, you can tell us, which big fat Abjurer took your lunch money?
>>
File: 1460783047672.jpg (524KB, 1896x2428px) Image search: [Google]
1460783047672.jpg
524KB, 1896x2428px
How much should "immune to cantrips" affect a monster's defensive CR/effective AC?
>>
>>49716479
>>49716466
>>49716460
>>49716436
These are some pretty good starting points, thanks everyone.

I think I'm going to have him pray to the Sun, slowly getting more desperate as his prayers go unanswered and he realizes how useless he is without sight (did you know healing word, sacred flame, and warding flare are just a few of cleric tricks that specify that you have to see your target?).
Finally, I think I'll have him accept it ("Please, blind me if you must, but let there always be light for my friends" >>49716466) and see if the DM lets it happen. If not, he may just give up and get a hawk familiar to help him see and go fighter or paladin.
>>
File: 1475988033349.png (979KB, 808x892px) Image search: [Google]
1475988033349.png
979KB, 808x892px
>>49716600
He didn't take my money he just cancelled my cards
>>
I want to be Half-Elf Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorcerer X. We're playing with standard array... does this look alright?

STR 8 DEX 10 CON 15 (+1) INT 12 WIS 13 (+1) CHA 14 (+2)
>>
>>49716639
The same as "immune to weapon"
>>
>>49716651
Why not Tempest Cleric 6 for the hardcore battlefield control?
>>
>>49716651
Yeh it's balanced and works for what you want to do.
>>
>>49716364
You DM is an jerk. Kill your Solaire and create a exact same Solaire.
>>
>>49716665
If I want to do that, I can just dip 2 level of Warlock and spam Eldritch Blast
>>
>>49716675
Having him be an avatar of the Sun that just jumps to another viable person when the last one dies seems interesting.
>>
>>49716542
>Slipper of Feather Fall

>expect leh epic Gutz to expend an attunement slot in a ring of feather fall instead of a golf bag of magic swords

I guess, but I always thought part of playing bard was knowing your audience.

Still, I build a magebreaker, so I'm sure I would have come up with something. If nothing else, I could always just activate my secondary glyph
>>
File: 1413454679020s.jpg (4KB, 125x105px) Image search: [Google]
1413454679020s.jpg
4KB, 125x105px
>>49716364
No, you must endure your blindness. This is only a trial from your god. To truly appreciate the sun's warmth and light, you must go without sight for a time and find your own inner sun. Only then will you know the true light.
>>
>>49716648

>muh cards.

Damn it man, I needed my sides.
>>
File: xlyFnrR[1].jpg (61KB, 1200x562px) Image search: [Google]
xlyFnrR[1].jpg
61KB, 1200x562px
>>49716720
Or, y'know, just stick a bug on your head.
>>
File: unknown.png (88KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
88KB, 640x800px
https://a.pomf.cat/uavpdg.pdf
One of my players suggested I use this, a subsystem he created that is based off D&D Next maneuvers.
He believes this will fix the action economy for classes who only have one attack, such as rogues, thus improving their combat flow (why would a rogue ever shove over using a hide then sneak attack?).

Personally I am against this, but I'm still fairly new to 5e, and my judgement is clouding from Pathfinder PTSD.

Another reason is that I think most options are either redundant or breaks the action economy.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>49716826
It would give a big boost in power to those classes from levels 3-10, but then casters start catching up again. Probably not broken but slightly obviates the battlemaster fighter, unless that archetype's dice and maneuvers are in addition to these.
>>
>>49716826
Yo this was just posted in this general by it's maker, right here >>49714664.
Tell your player I said hi.
>>
>>49714664
These are cool, and if this is what the playtest looked like it really is a shame that they were taken out.

I would love to implement these, but I've been introducing a lot of experimental houserules to my group lately, so I think I'll hold off on doing it right away.
saved without your permission
>>
>>49710187
I think mirror image is pretty good because it doesn't require concentration, and, if the enemy has advantage to hit you, they still have to get through your mirror images. The only thing mirror image is useless at defending against are effects that force you to save for half damage.
>>
Tg what happens if I polymorph someone into a fish and let them suffocate?

Alternatively, what happens if I polymorph them into a mouse and then age them 40 years with a curse?

>>49716364

Shift to Trickery domain. See through the eyes of your double
>>
>>49716887
I'm the guy
Hi

>>49716926
Just remember that Battle Masters don't get regular martial dice
>>
>>49717180
Fish: The return to their original form, severely disoriented

Mouse: I'd say they die from that as well, because mice don't live 40 years.

You'd be better off polymorphing them into a fish and carrying them around in a bowl, Klaus style
>>
>>49717180
Fish: The rules for suffocating state that once the creature can no longer hold it's breath, it drops to 0 HP and is dying (making death saves). Polymorph states that it ends when the creature is brought to 0 HP, so such a creature would revert back to it's normal form - but would still be at 0 HP and dying.

Mouse: Unclear, nothing in polymorph or true polymorph state anything about changing a subject's maximum lifespan. Ask your DM.
>>
>>49717210
Heya guy. I really like the stuff you made, looks great. Would you consider making abilities with a bit more extraordinary effects or descriptions? I like these, but kinda wish they were a bit more exaggerated to make players feel like badasses.
>>
>>49717310
Maybe, it was a spur of the moment thing anyways
>>
>>49717230
>so such a creature would revert back to it's normal form - but would still be at 0 HP and dying.
II don't think that's how Polymorph works - excess damage carries over if you're reduced to 0hp, but he would return at whatever health he was polymorphed at originally.
>>
>>49713360
The party I am in has two fighters (one m/c rogue), a paladin, a bard with cure wounds, and a life cleric. They never seem to run out of healing, which is fun because I can throw real marathon shitstorms at them.

The kobold life cleric gets to cast lots and lots of utility and offense spells because of this abundant healing. The player's really enjoying it.
>>
>>49717382
I stand corrected, you're right. I guess that's to prevent things like this, or polymorphing them into something like a slug and crushing them.
>>
>>49713360
If you have to spend more than a couple of spell slots for healing, your party already did something wrong. They should regret their terrible life decision.
>>
>>49717490
Transform them into a slug, use familiar to pick them up and throw them down from 200ft on the otherhand...
>>
>>49717545

I had a life cleric in one of my parties once.

Normal healing:
>Thanks for bringing me back up from unconscious cleric bro!
Life cleric healing:
>Holy shit, I can take hits for another three rounds with this, God damn

Turns Healing Word into a freaking buff spell as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>49717401
Hooh boy that's a whole lot of regen. What level is the party at?
>>
>>49717577
Take the Magic Initiate feat if you can, pick Druid.

Pick Goodberries as your 1st level spell.

Every berry now heals an extra 2+(Spell Level) amount of HP thanks to Disciple of Life.
>>
>>49717545
This is assuming the life cleric is acting as the dedicated healer and there are at least a couple people who'll be taking damage in each encounter. Having to Cure Wounds twice is much less taxing than having to Healing Word a couple times as well. And a Life cleric'd Healing Word is basically a vanilla Cure Wounds at range with the possibility of Guidance or Sacred Flame on top of it.
>>
>>49717638
> not be a Cleric 2 / Land Druid X
>>
>>49717577
I played as a moderately-depress Life Cleric who acted as a full-fledged tank. If I wasn't healing, I was wading into the thick of it to stand in choke points and taking the Dodge action every round.

Surprisingly effective in heavy armor with a shield.
>>
>>49717730
What's the point of taking the second level of cleric? Your Channel Divinity explicitly scales with your Cleric Level, so if you switch to Druid it's never going to improve. You get your healing bonus and proficiency from level 1.
>>
>finally got my friends to play DnD with me after nearly a five years of convincing
>we all have fun and shit with Lost Mines of Phandelver with me DMing
>suddenly Venomfang
>the glint in their eyes
>they managed to cut the tail before Venomfang fled
>they carve the tail (rolling very great Survival checks)
>they're now excited about getting the scales and remains to get it to an armorer/smith to craft it into weapons and armor
>they're now excitedly talking how their weapons might be stronger

How should I go about this? Just let Greataxe become Greataxe +1 but with the fluff of Venomfang's maw or some part? And if they get armor out of it, make it Armor +1 with maybe some poison resistance? I forgot these guys are Monster Hunter players. It's great and fun but man, I realize I have to adjudicate this too. I think I should've made it that they needed a carving knife to carve dragonhide.
>>
>>49717878

I meant getting the Greataxe to have the appearance of dragonbone from the tail of Venomfang, not his maw.
>>
>>49717878
+1 to hit is a pretty big deal in 5e. I'd just have weapons crafted with it do +1 poison damage, and have armor grant poison resistance, but the first bit might seem kinda low powered to them.
>>
>>49717878
I see you have some monster hunter players.

Magical weapons (+1) that force enemies to make con saves to resist poison at disadvantage.
>>
>>49718065
+1 is fine, and by the time they finish that adventure they should have +1 weapons. Tying the weapons to a very specific course of action the players took with a nifty bonus is a great way to reward good roleplay.
>>
>>49710068
Phantasmal Force if your DM isn't shit.
>>
>>49717878
Did any of them scream "CUT THE TAIL" or "GRAB THE SHINY"?
>>
Is it reasonable that I can dimension door into a tank, and kill everyone inside with a fireball? Possibly even myself?
>>
My ruling for Tides of Chaos goes like this:

>Use Tides of Chaos
>Next leveled spell auto-surges
>Regain Tides of Chaos
>>
File: 1451857372981.png (485KB, 600x738px) Image search: [Google]
1451857372981.png
485KB, 600x738px
I'm getting a chance to play in a few weeks after DMing for years with only a few failed campaigns I actually ran a PC in. I'm almost certainly going in with a swiss-army-knife wizard, which I imagine will serve me well since I'm fairly clever and good at thinking my way out of things.
However, I won't deny that I very much also want to just hit things very hard for big numbers, so Paladin is quite appearing. Even though I know the gimmick would likely get old quickly, and I know from the other side of the screen how little 2d8 burst can be against a fairly fat enemy, but I still have that itch. Is there any way to get it out of my system?
Could I get a good enough problem solving kit playing a Valor Bard and taking a 2 level dip in Paladin after 6?
>>
>>49710994
>>one even wanted me to offer a set of dialogue options "like how Mass Effect and Witcher 3 does with dialogue" cause he didn't know what to say

Liar
>>
>>49718321
Paladin 2, Bladesinger 4
The paladin allows you to buff and heal yourself which does in fact make it worth the dip. It also allows you to become more tanky which is what you'll need. Take the +2 to damage rolls when using a single weapon. Use a Rapier.
1d8+2,+Dex,+Spell Damage+Smite Damage
It adds up fairly quick.
>>
>>49718065
>+1 to hit is a pretty big deal in 5e.
No isn't, not in the slightest. This is the kind of thing I thought when I first started playing and I just looked at the small numbers and went 'oh, you don't get many bonuses, so a +1 is a biiiig deal'
A +1 doesn't do shit, it won't affect the outcome of any fights. The only thing that affects the outcome is spell selection and round by round strategic actions that aren't taking place in the hit-it-with-muh-sword whiteroom vacuum.
>>
>>49716364
Sounds like your DM has a plan because he forced that BS on you, so just wait it out
>>
>>49716287
Pretty sure a half orc fighter could tank the 20d6 from the fall
>>
>>49717210
>>49714664

The Save DCs make Battle Masters worse off for using their superior maneuvers, since they aren't based off their primary ability score. The other martials should also use a mental ability score to determine Save DCs or Battle Masters need to get the option to use Strength or Dexterity.

Some thoughts on what to use

>Barbarian: Charisma or Wisdom
>Rogue: Charisma or Intelligence
>Fighter (Includes Battle Master): Intelligence or Wisdom
>>
>>49718303
I also
>>
>>49718302
DD is an Action so the tank crew will get a turn before you can cast fireball
>>
>>49714522
>Awoo
>>
>>49718655
Yeah but that's what shield/mirror image is for.
>>
>>49718698
K but everyone inside will be armed with side arms
>>
>>49718736
I'll just bring a fucking barbarian with me, screw it.
>>
>>49718745
Just shoot the fireball into the inside of the turret
>>
>>49718745
Just buff up with mirror image and false life beforehand, you'll probably live.

Or be a sorcerer so you can quicken a Blade Ward when you go in, on top of the rest.
>>
I am going to make a life cleric and heal my comrades and there is literally nothing you can do to stop me.
>>
>>49710994
That sounds to me like a group of people uncomfortable with each other, more than a "not sure what to do" situation. They all have ideas but are too afraid of sounding dumb or bossy.
>>
I'm a lvl 12 fire dragon sorc with elemental adept and 20 charisma. Should I get another feat, like lucky, or just boost my dex for the ac?
>>
>>49719070
How high is your DEX / what's your AC?
>>
>>49719098
15 ac
14 dex

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to get the ac now that everything has fuck you levels of plus to their hits. Or take something like lucky or warcaster.
>>
>>49719112
I'd say lucky will probably be more fun so I'd take that
>>
>>49719164
I like your priorities Anon.
>>
>>49719182
Just seems sensible to me.
Lucky is a feat that lets you do a cool new thing, and the dex will give... +1 to a number on your sheet.
As a DM, stuff that just gives numbers bores me, it just means the enemies need more numbers.
>>
How do I blade pact warlock?
>>
File: IMG_1887.jpg (66KB, 404x595px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1887.jpg
66KB, 404x595px
This probably isnt the right place for it but my search skill is lacking -

Im looking for the greentext story of the party that had a doting female npc follower that they end up liking a lot. She ends up getting killed and the last thing she says is something akin to that she just was happy to have friends.

Long shot but anyone have an idea or source?
>>
>>49719636
Start with 1 level in fighter or 2 level in Paladin.

heavy armor proficiency, martial weapon proficiency and fighting style will help you achieve what you want to do.

Paladin 2 give you smite spam that refresh every short rest.
>>
New thread when
>>
>>49719636
other anon said it but start pally and do like 2-5 levels

my next character will be a pallylock. The smite slots on shortrest is too great, and the utility stuff you can get from lock is fun.

honestly though you don't really need to go blade pact, you'd probably be straight up better as a tome or chainlock.

pally 5 then tomelock is what I'm doing
>>
NEW THREAD >>49720003

NEW THREAD >>49720003

NEW THREAD >>49720003
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.