[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 48

File: it'spartytimebrothers.jpg (255KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
it'spartytimebrothers.jpg
255KB, 500x333px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

How do your PCs have fun?
>>
>>49682801
>implying
>>
>>49682809
Implying they don't have fun?
>>
File: tumblr_o57w8mU3mI1v99kazo1_1280.jpg (220KB, 1024x1434px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o57w8mU3mI1v99kazo1_1280.jpg
220KB, 1024x1434px
I played a level seven undying warlock that had vampire blood powering his magic in a dungeon crawl last night and holy shit was it awesome. When the party needed a scout I had my imp familiar, when everyone else was making athletics checks to climb a rope I turned into mist and floated to the top, when everyone needed to by a horse to travel to the dungeon I turned into a dire wolf and ran with them, and when it came to combat I was doing the high and most constant damage with my eldritch blast even without using hex. Warlocks are my new favorite class I think. The only thing I'm worried about is that I may have out shined the other players.
>>
>>49682977

I'm playing a bard with a ghost cohort and it was pretty neat to find a lich warlock who could teach my wizard ghost to ritual spellcast even without spell slots
>>
So a chain warlock's ability specifically says that the familiar can "take the form" of a quasit, imp, etc... Does that mean that it isn't truly a devil or a demon? It's a magical construct that merely resembles these creatures?
>>
File: Goliath.jpg (76KB, 286x616px) Image search: [Google]
Goliath.jpg
76KB, 286x616px
>>49682801
My fighter is a Goliath gladiator so anything that is a physical challenge, from arm wrestling to deadly brawls in the arena, is fun. He also enjoys boastfully telling stories of his achievements, eating tough meats and drinking strong ales, and playing the horn.
>>
File: Hicabi The Imp.jpg (47KB, 360x489px) Image search: [Google]
Hicabi The Imp.jpg
47KB, 360x489px
>>49683621
Basically yes.By RAW they are just spirits that take the form of said creature, having all the same powers and personality traits as that type of creature, but are unquestionably loyal to you they turn to mist when they die instead of leaving a corpse or returning to their plain of existence. Personally I would rule that as a warlock of the chain pact you could just straight up get the actual creature, since the only real difference it would make would be role-play wise.
>>
What are the 3 most useful Battle Master maneuvers to have for a commander-type protection fighter?
>>
I have a battle master fighter with 16 strength and great weapon master from v. human and just hit level 5. What's better, bumping STR to 18 or grab savage attack feat?
>>
What are some good money sinks that can have an actual mechanical or even ingame impact? Lets be honest no one cares how expensive a characters lifestyle is. And magic Items cant be bought, so theres that.

I integrated recipes for craftable consumables into my game and keep the characters rather poor at the beginning, but that is bound to change as they level up and fight shit that can actually have something valuable.
So where do they put all that money that they will eventually stumble upon?

I was thinking of having them fund a civil war since thats a goal of one of the characters.

How do you do it /tg/?
>>
>>49685173
Always focus on maximizing the ability score you use to hit things.

Do you mean level 4?
>>
>>49685173
savage attacker gets better with higher damage dice
But thats not factoring in the fact that youll hit more often.
>>
>>49685210
I was in a game where the DM held a magic item lottery in our town of operation, and was transparent with the odds (out of like 18 attempts i think we only won once). it had a mixed reception in the group but your group might be interested. A-typical equipment like mining explosives. Hireling some hype-men to boast about the party or a personal on-call blacksmith could be fun? hoping they get.
>>
So uh am I missing something?
>Playing SKT
>Group of four players all Level 5
>Chapter 2 start
> Bryn Shander fight
>CR8 giants with 128 health and attacks that do 25 dmg. Also multiattack so they can pretty much kill a player in one turn.
>>
>>49685173
Savage Attacker ends up being a *maximum* of 2 higher average damage, once per turn. 18 Strength is hitting 5% more often (potentially) with each attack and dealing +1 flat to every Strength-based attack.

Savage Attacker is the one thing in 5e I would actually label a "trap option." It's garbage.
>>
>>49685653
That's right. What's your question?
>>
>>49685173
Either bump your strength or grab Polearm Master.
>>
>>49685210
Why can't magic items be bought? Pretty sure there is a table that denotes their value somewhere in the book.
>>
>>49686410
>>49686410
its boring and unmemorable
the players even said themselves theyd rather find them
>>
>>49686480
Boring an unmemorable as the DM says it is. A good GM can make a haggling encounter trying to buy a +1 Breastplate from a stubborn Dwarven smith memorable and enjoyable. Just like a bad DM can easily say "Oh, one of those bandits was using a +1 Breastplate so add that to your inventory."

For big flashy items I can understand buying them not being suitable, but if you've got a party of level 12 adventurers rolling up to waterdeep with 40,000gold, it seems retarded that they can't outfit themselves with a wand of magic missile, a +1 Shield for the barbarian and another for the rangers back up, +1 studded leather for the Rogue who is still using nonmagical.

Likewise, even for some flashy items if the Rogue says "I'm really after a Ring of Spellstealing, we've got a few weeks downtime can I invest some money into trying to track down anyone who might possibly have one to sell? I've got 9,000 which should be enough to finance the venture and still offer decently over value for the ring." and make a damn mini-quest out of it.
>>
>>49686722
I guess the Rogue saying "I want to investigate and finance this venture" and then looking for a seller and then getting the ring kind of counts as "Finding it" moreso than "Buying it."

It's "I've got 2,000 gold, I'll have Adamantine Platemail please thanks." in the middle of buttfuck nowhere buying.
>>
>>49686882
Think of buying magic items less like going to the grocery store and more like buying an expensive car. You've got to find a seller - big cities bight have shops, but independent sellers also exist. You go there, negotiate, inspect the item, negotiate more, haggle over the price, THEN you get your item. And depending on how reputable the salesman is, it might not be what it seems your +1 sword works fine, but it speaks with a voice like joe Pesci and has a terrible sense of humor, which might lead to a sidequest wherein you beat the fuck out of the shithead who sold it to you.
>>
When is unearthed arcana supposed to be released?
>>
>>49687938
Monday, probably.
>>
I know it's a piece of junk based on all the reviews but is there a way to get my hands on an elemental evil DM screen? I can't find it anywhere I look.
>>
Maybe not the right place but asking here anyways:

Is there any reason to run a 2e campaign vs a 5e? And if the answer is no...how can I politely ask the DM to not do it in 2e?
>>
lowl
>>
>>49688146
5e is a strictly better edition than 2e.
>>
>>49687938
>>49688007
Please be Mystic take 3
>>
File: Capture.jpg (134KB, 1049x744px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
134KB, 1049x744px
Does anyone have the collection of character sheets from pic related? It had premade characters of every class and specialization, and even one for each wizard school. Apparently it 404'd since the last time I looked at it and i wanted to know if anybody saved them?
>>
>>49688916
Mystic won't be til next month.
>>
>>49688942
Aww :(
oh well maybe Druids will actually get something for once.
>>
>>49688922
The site updated and migrated.

http://www.digitaldungeonmaster.com/dd-5e-character-sheets.html
>>
File: 1472111987186.jpg (95KB, 750x481px) Image search: [Google]
1472111987186.jpg
95KB, 750x481px
>>49689297
>http://www.digitaldungeonmaster.com/dd-5e-character-sheets.html

Many thanks friend!
>>
File: 1442361873310.gif (1MB, 269x220px) Image search: [Google]
1442361873310.gif
1MB, 269x220px
similar question to >>49685173

I'm an orc fighter with 18 Str who just hit level 6. Debating between 20 Str and Toughness, which would put me at 70 (!) hp

thoughts?
>>
>>49682801
Already an existing thread, dickweed.

>>49682779
>>
>>49689384
Both threads were made 9 hours ago and only two minutes apart anon, no one cares. Pick one and stick with it.
>>
Do any of you create your own monsters or creatures for your players to fight? Do you use anything for inspiration?
>>
>>49689374
Generally speaking, killing things more reliably is better than getting more HP. Str first, toughness with your next ASI, then start raising Dex or Con.
>>
>>49689630
I virtually never use the MM creatures in my homebrew game worlds.
>>
I haven't had the chance to read through SKT yet. How is it? My group only just got their fortunes read in CoS and they only seem kind of "meh" about it so far. Should I switch us to SKT?
>>
>>49689933
If your players are unimpressed with CoS they need to be playing another game.
>>
>>49688922

>Barbarian picture is literally just the original Sarkhan Vol

Fucking hilarious
>>
So I made an Oni be a magistrate in a Fire Giant's mountain complex (He lives a wealthy lifestyle like this, and he also has control over a local "Cicle of Mages".)
The wizard and monk of the party are supposed to be allowed an audience with the Fire Giant because they have something interesting to show him, but the Oni will make them leave their equipment, including spellbook in his hall. What kind of dickery can he do with this?
>>
What are some uses of Prestidigitation that you've came up with? Other than cooling your drink or the likes of that
>>
Does anyone here have links or pdfs for some kind of mutations table? Results of potions, enchantments, that kind of thing, beneficial and/or malignant?
>>
>>49690987
Make the mineral components of your enemies' teeth taste like ass for up to 1 hour.
>>
>>49690987
If you're in a dark place and your foe has their own light source, you can snuff out your flame. This means you are in the dark (a penalty to hit, and can hide) and they're in light. Create a small trinket that a kid, simpleton would trade for information, small doll, watch, etc. The "create a small trinket" option can be stretched pretty far. Maybe you need a mirror to reflect that basilisks's gaze. It can be used to buff most social skill tests. Make those shadows grow darker when your ally is trying to intimidate, make those crap weapons you're selling look real shiny to get a few extra coins.

>>49691070
Using it as a weak curse is pretty handy. Make that goblin scout smell like flowers so all their friends laugh at them, and only tell them you'll drop your "curse" if they help you. Or as a placebo curse, make a small mark of a skull or something and tell them that their future is doomed, cast it again to add another effect that shows the curse getting worse. If you're DM counts being itchy as a harmless sensory effect you can give people rashes.

All of this being said it might be clear that i really love this spell. I think it's one of the most underused spells in the game.
>>
>>49691377
>You create a nonmagical trinket OR an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

Now does the nonmagical trinket disappear eventually?
>>
File: Legolas_-_in_Two_Towers.png (318KB, 636x426px) Image search: [Google]
Legolas_-_in_Two_Towers.png
318KB, 636x426px
Anyone got the stuff some anon posted some threads ago that contained stuff like tilesets and such? Didn't have access to a PC then, I saved the mediafire links but they are all dead now.
>>
>>49682801
I left D&D after a bad series of experiences with 3.5, and have spent the last decade or so playing Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2e, OpenD6 Fantasy, and RuneQuest 6. I've seen how 4e and 5e are getting a good reception, and am curious at giving both an honest-to-God chance.

But I'm completely unfamiliar with 5e, and have been looking around a bit. I want to get the opinion of some of the most frank bastards on the internet. As unbiased as you can be, please, what am I going to get out of this game? What styles of fantasy is it good for accommodating (like high-fantasy vs gritty Glen Cook-like low fantasy)? How is it different from the D&D that I was used to?
>>
>>49691886
Both high and low can work.
>>
File: tumblr_nu7sxsD7b51qh1rm7o2_1280.jpg (703KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu7sxsD7b51qh1rm7o2_1280.jpg
703KB, 960x1280px
Hey my dudes I need some advice.

In my desperation of having a game to DM and play with, I worked a thing with my local library and I'll be doing 5th edition for a few weeks. But before that, I'm doing a workshop on how to play and make characters.

I'm used to having more experienced, some less obviously, players. What would you recommend I cover other than the basics? I'm going to have little posters with things like dice rolling, initiative and ability points.
>>
>>49691886
>5e
You'll get a mid-high fantasy adventure game, with strong but still mortal heroes.

It's different from 3.5 in that it's less concerned with stacking a million and one tiny modifiers (most rolls in 5e only apply two modifiers, and those do not change outside of levelup), and character optimization is far less important, since most classes can actually do their fucking job out of the box.

There's no "trap options" bad enough to reduce a character to dead weight (though certain archetypes are rather poorly designed, they're few enough that you'll be able to remember them all- elements monk is the only one that doesn't have some kind of fix out).

I like 5e because it's smooth in play. There might not be a thousand splats of content, but the core's wide enough to cover a lot of concepts.
>>
Orcs have a patriarchal society right? What are the mating habits of orcs, is it purely strength based, where you have to defend your women from competitors like Lions?

Is it possible that a Human who defeats an orc chieftain and kill all the males in a tribe to take the women for himself, or would they try to kill him?
>>
File: (53KB, 540x311px) Image search: [Google]
53KB, 540x311px
>>49691886
>How is it different from the D&D that I was used to?
Fewer, tighter core rules
Fewer supplements
Balanced classes
Significant and interesting racial abilities
Character background baked into character creation, mechanically
Removal of feats as required character progression, they are much more powerful but rarer now
Emphasis on variant rules and homebrew
Easier to learn, play, and run

>>49691886
>What styles of fantasy is it good for accommodating
High fantasy and low fantasy are possible, but if you want to for absolutely no magic you'd be better off with a different system (but is it really fantasy then anyway?).
>>
>>49691960
The orc women wouldn't care, orcs breed with anything.
>>
>>49691886

Since you were over in that 4E thread with a similar picture and similar post, I wanted to just repost my same post, but since you asked for 5e info this time, I'll give you something actually helpful.

The very basic skeleton of the game is similar to 3.5, in that the core mechanic is d20 + bonuses - penalties >= target number to succeed.

That said, a lot of simplifications from 4E are back. For instance, skill points are gone: you're either proficient in a skill or you're not.

Even then, there's a clear 2e design sensibility keeping the numbers low and contained and keeping the level scaling very flat. The logic seems to be to make sure that level 1 enemies don't just become worthless once you hit level 2: they stay threatening. The gap between each level has decreased.

Backgrounds have been emphasized to the point of being required. You MUST now fluff out the basics of your character's background.

Feats are now optional. Any time you could increase an ability score, you may gain a feat instead. Classes that would get bonus feats instead get bonus ability score improvements, which can be used directly or traded for feats.

The only trap option is the Ranger class as printed in the Player's Handbook, but they've released a free new version of the class via the official website as Unearthed Arcana.
>>
File: crimson-warrior.png (626KB, 617x900px) Image search: [Google]
crimson-warrior.png
626KB, 617x900px
>>49691906
>>49691959
>>49691965
>>49691994
Dope. Thanks for your opinions.

>>49691994
I'm assuming based on your post that you think 5e is superior to 4e?
>>
>>49691994

Oh, also 5e has kept Dragonborn and Tieflings as core races (since they were core in 4E's PHB). It also has Gnomes, so they're not missing either (since they weren't in 4E until PHB2).

5e has all the core classes from 3.5, plus Warlock (because Warlock was a core class in 4E's original PHB). Even then, each class has a selection of archetypes to choose from which define how the class plays, so there are multiple approaches to take to each class: for instance, Fighter can be turned into the Champion (a straight tank), Battle Master (trying to be the 4E Warlord and failing into something still totally playable), and Eldritch Knight (a magical gish).
>>
>>49692020
4e is the odd one out among editions because it tried a different direction, and wasn't all that well received by grognards.

4e is, in a word, gamey. The world's logic is thrown out the window for the sake of mechanics actually working well. It's a perfectly fine game (as long as you know the MM3 fixes), but it's going to be very different from the DnD you know.
>>
>>49692020

Generally yes, I do think 5e is superior FOR MY PURPOSES.

If you want a tactical game that uses minis, 4E is your game. There is no version of D&D better suited to tactical gameplay than 4E. 5e doesn't even have core rules for miniatures scale or anything like that, it's practically designed to be played mapless and miniless like how a lot of people played 2e.

I want to keep saying that my favorite edition of D&D is 2e, like I used to before 5e came out, but 5e really is that good. 4E's still there if you want a tactically intense game that plays like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on a table, but otherwise you're really picking between AD&D and 5e, and slightly inclined to break in 5e's favor here since most of my AD&D experience is Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment while I've actually played real games with real people in 5e.
>>
>>49692042
>mm3 fixes
What are those?

>the D&D you know
I'm perfectly fine with it not being the D&D I know. My go-to fantasy system nowadays (RuneQuest 6) is nowhere near the 3.5 I'm used to.

I'm comfortable with trying something new, I just want to know what I'm getting into.

>>49692049
So it seems like people like both 4e and 5e from what I've seen. Is everyone just that happy to be away from 3.P? I know I was, but I'm curious what everyone here thinks.
>>
Do most DM's force characters to roleplay according to their ability scores? Like its impossible for an 8 int warrior to offer meaningful knowledge on topics apart from warfare or for someone with really low char to convince someone of anything?
>>
>>49692076
Monster HP was bloated and damage output was low in 4e prior to the Monster Manual 3. The designers got their shit together for that one, and there's a formula of sorts that fixes the math for creatures from previous books to be in-line with post MM3 books.
>>
>>49692076
Basically, the first few monster manuals for 4e had shitty math where monsters had tons of health but did almost no damage. This lead to extremely long, boring, low-risk combats.

MM3 simply suggest halving monster health and doubling damage, or something like that. The fixes are simple enough to fit on a buisiness card, I'm sure someone has them.

My players prefer 5e, and I don't mind running it, since it's really easy to homebrew for. So that's what I play.

> Is everyone just that happy to be away from 3.P
Yes. One of my groups tried to go back to PF, and we just couldn't bear it for more than a few sessions.
>>
File: 4e monster stat card.gif (27KB, 1050x600px) Image search: [Google]
4e monster stat card.gif
27KB, 1050x600px
>>49692106
>>49692108
Is this what you're talking about? I googled it real quick and this is what I got.
>>
>>49692121
That'd be it. Mind you, not every monster will follow those rules exactly, but they're very good guidelines for the average stats of a monster of any given level and role.
>>
>>49692121
Yeah, that looks right.

In any case, what did you hate the most about 3.pf? That might be helpful in pointing you to 4e or 5e.
>>
What would a fallen druid be like? One who no longer (or never did) hold nature in the highest regard, and showed little interest in balance. Truthfully I'm not into the forcing paladins to fall because the DM says so and kind of hate alignments but thinking out loud what such a druid might be like.
>>
How's the swashbuckler rogue? TWF with rapier/shortsword? Eventually rapier/hand crossbow?
>>
File: 1466007236478.jpg (94KB, 500x743px) Image search: [Google]
1466007236478.jpg
94KB, 500x743px
>>49692158
Far too many small details that we kept needing to look up and I played with some Giant in the Playground-level min-maxers who were willing defend each and every thing that I found frustrating even when it didn't make sense to defend it in the first place. The blatant caster imbalance, the HP bloat and looking for each and every tiny modifier making combat drag on for hours, things like that.
>>
>>49692163
Someone who plays the lives of sentients over nature and the beasts of the wild, so say a group of people start a farm near a forest and then get attacked by animals but drive them off. Then the druid feels its immoral to punish the people for defending themselves.

aka roleplay a character who isnt a complete aspie
>>
>>49692182
Sounds like 5e is going to be your friend. Essentially all situational modifiers have been done away with in favor of the advantage/disadvantage system.
>>
>>49692076

It's more complicated than that.

I'm the guy from >>49691994
and >>49692049
and >>49690664

I was a 4E supporter back in the day because it was my first edition. I got into D&D in 2008, and was just beginning to learn 3.5 when 4E released and seemed so much easier.

I've sadly never played in a 4E game, but I collected a lot of 4E books and they all seemed sweet. I did DM most of Keep on the Shadowfell, and it was fun until we got sick of pulling out a full goddamn tactical setup every time we had an encounter. Still, a properly constructed 4E encounter with players who eagerly desire a tactical battle is pure poetry in motion. We had a monk kick a kobold fully cooked set of steaks. We had a barbarian jump down on top of a cultist. We had a rogue shove a goblin into the equivalent of an iron maiden. And that was just the crap we got up to in the published encounters as written.

I should mention that while I was doing this, I was also learning every prior D&D edition, the logic being that I'd be able to find a game wherever I went. And then I learned 2e in order to play Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment properly, and I fell absolutely in love with 2e.

Now, from what I understand in terms of general opinion, 5e managed to be the improvement on 3.P that people didn't know that they wanted. It also managed to keep all the good and broadly applicable parts of 4E without carrying over all the clunky heavily tactical parts that demand you haul out a grid and a bunch of tokens every few minutes. And it ALSO managed to incorporate 2e design sensibilities that I honestly have a hard time quantifying precisely, but that can be summed up as keeping the dice curve much flatter (allowing small bonuses of +1 or +2 to actually feel really special and awesome), and not basing their combat math on the assumption of player magic items (which allows magic items to feel really special and awesome without having to deck your players out like a Christmas tree).
>>
>>49692199

I'd disagree that it managed to keep the good parts of 4e. 4e is a very different (And in my opinion, superior) beast.
>>
>>49692182

In 5E, if you have a situational bonus of any kind, you just get advantage. That means you roll 2d20 and take the better roll. You can't have multiple advantage. You just have advantage or you don't.

If you have a situational penalty, you have disadvantage. You roll 2d20 and take the worse roll. You can't have multiple disadvantage either.

If you have both, they cancel out and you just roll normally.

So say goodbye to random bonuses and modifiers.
>>
>>49692182
>Far too many small details that we kept needing to look up
Gone. 99% of numerical modifiers are gone in favor of advantage/disadvantage (which is roll twice and take the higher/lower respectively). Most situations where this comes up it makes sense, otherwise the DM makes a ruling.

>and I played with some Giant in the Playground-level min-maxers who were willing defend each and every thing that I found frustrating even when it didn't make sense to defend it in the first place.
They're still around, but since questionable tricks like the onion druid and bardic superhorse got nixed they're less common. Optimization is still a thing, but the floor is higher and the ceiling is lower so there's less disparity.

>The blatant caster imbalance, the HP bloat and looking for each and every tiny modifier making combat drag on for hours, things like that.
Caster supremacy is gone - now it's more like a caster head-start. Things don't get really out of hand until level 15+ - lots of things from 3.P are gone, like save-or-dies and buffstacking. Plus, skills are simplified and a lot more relevant out of combat, so noncasters can still contribute. Plus, having a background in addition to your class means people like Fighters can significantly contribute to out of combat encounters.
>>
>>49692205

It kept what good parts could transfer to a non-tactical game.

There are limits to what you can and can't keep when you're switching over. They amount to the same kind of stuff that was in Star Wars Saga Edition before 4E was released.

So the moral of the story is that Star Wars d20 Saga Edition was 5e years before 5e was even a thing. Not really. But kind of. And that's why people liked it as long as they were rigid d20 disciples and refused to look at literally any other official Star Wars RPG.
>>
>>49692182
The only one of those that 5e really suffers from is HP bloat. Even then, the expected duration of a fight (by monster math) is three rounds.
Caster imbalance exists, but only gets serious past level 15 or so. A lone wizard can't just batman through everything, because concentration, lower spell slots, concentration, unfucked spell scaling ("caster level" is out, in favor of spellslot level spent), spells being generally weaker, and all of the goodies casters had in 3.pf are now divided up among the classes.
>>
>>49692197
>>49692220
Definitely sounds like 5e is what I'm going to use to get back into D&D as a brand name when I'm experimenting with new systems.

>>49692199
Sounds like a lot of context, but I'm also a fan of not needing a grid and minis most of the time. The majority of my games are online, and we don't really use Roll20.

I do have one or two players that might want to try something super tactical and deep, and if that happens I'll bust out 4e. But at the moment it looks like 5e is more my personal speed.
>>
also r8 my pirate voice

http://vocaroo.com/i/s11rtzQbLod1
>>
>>49692236
>"caster level" is out, in favor of spellslot level spent
This bears clarification:
In 3.5, when the Wizard hit level 5 and got level 3 spells, his fireball did 5d6 damage. At level 7, it did 7d6 damage, scaling effectively for free.

In 5e, using a 3rd-level slot for fireball does 5d6 damage, period. even at level 20. You want higher damage, you use a higher spell slot, which is harder to come by and a lot less free than caster levels. It also draws from 3.5 psionics, where your manifester level only governed how many points you could spend on a spell - spell slots are just prepackaged amounts of points, basically.
>>
>>49692245

Yeah I'd say unless you have a group who's already down for AD&D and wants to play Planescape or some other old classic AD&D shit, just go with 5e. They've got an Unearthed Arcana pdf for Eberron mechanics that works just fine if you can get Eberron fluff from somewhere else. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide gives you everything you need for Forgotten Realms (which seems to be the new 5e standard setting). Curse of Strahd is Ravenloft in one big adventure module book with a bunch of extra stuff if you want to run Ravenloft in general without running just this adventure. Unearthed Arcana also has some psionic rules, so if you can grab some Dark Sun fluff you're good for that too (my first 5e game was actually a Dark Sun game with homebrew psionics based on the 4E version and it was a sweet game).

The best part is that other than the three core books, you don't need to buy a damn thing. Everything else is (fucking awesome) adventure modules except for the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. 5e seems to just not want to release splatbooks or supplements in general without them being in the form of an adventure module.
>>
>>49692163
It depends on why the druid fell and who they are.

I know that's a boring answer, so here's a way it might play out:

>Druid fell because he had to defile / not protect something natural and pure for the greater good. E.G. handing over the last unicorn to a dark lord / something so he doesn't go nuclear.
>Very morose and depressed because of it, constantly regretting and rethinking his choices. Vehemently defends even the smallest natural thing as if to make up for his sin.
>>
File: 4497507.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
4497507.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
>>49692261
yer a pirate, 'arry / 10
>>
Foolishly I posted this in the old thread.

>>49690149
>>49687498

I posted a couple threads ago about a player's request to player a drunken-fist monk, and the one HB they gave me wasn't received all that well and in retrospect felt pretty weak. It also had very little thematically to do the 'drunk' side of drunken fist. I did however like the core idea from that one that it would key off and improve monk reactions.

I would aim for it to be weaker in direct damage than the open-fist monk, but with situational bonuses that could edge out occasionally. The campaign it would be used in is fairly RP heavy, and I'm reasonably confident the player could handle this archetype without making a mess of it. One thing I would prefer to avoid it having is healing, which has been an element of almost all of the other homebrews I have read for this.

Here are some various powers I've considered for the drunken fist, in no particular order. Of course only four of them can come through for a monastic tradition. The first one is the only power I would consider baseline to this version of drunken-fist, as all subsequent powers have a rider that affects it.

1) You have a number of ki-empowered drinks equal in number to your proficiency bonus. As a bonus action, you can consume one of these ki-drinks to gain one drunken master effect. You regain all ki-drinks following a long rest.
- +1 DEX / -1 INT for 30 seconds / 5 rounds. This effect may allow you to temporarily exceed 20 Dexterity.
- You gain one additional reaction until the start of your next turn
- You can use dodge as a reaction for 3 turns

2) Stagger: You can move through your enemies' space as though they were open terrain. Your movement no longer triggers opportunity attacks against you. Additionally, you can choose the following drunken master effect when consuming a ki-drink:
- You gain resistance to bludgeoning / piercing / slashing damage until the start of your next turn.

[char limit - more next post]
>>
>>49692327

3) Swaying Stance: You suffer fewer penalties while Prone; you do not have disadvantage on attack rolls while prone and attack rolls made by an attacker that is within 5ft of you will not have advantage. Standing up while prone does not cost any movement. Additionally, you can choose the following drunken master effect when consuming a ki-drink:
- Until the end of your next turn, you may use your dexterity instead of constitution or strength when making saving throws

4) Improvise: You gain proficiency with improvised weapons. Treat these weapons as monk weapons. Additionally, you can choose the following drunken master effect when consuming a ki-drink:
- Until the end of your next turn, as a reaction you can force an enemy within 5ft to make a dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, you and that enemy swap currently held weapons. If you cannot hold the enemy's weapon, it falls to the ground at their feat.

5) [Unknown Name]: As an action, you can spend 10 ki points to instantly recover your maximum number of ki-drinks, but you gain one level of exhaustion at the end of combat. This ability can be used again following the completion of a long rest. Additionally, you can use 4 ki points to consume a ki-drink as a free action.
>>
>>49692184
>>49692306
Ah, I wasn't totally clear with what I was looking for. I'm thinking more of a banished-from-the-Circles druid, like Oathbreaker or Death Domain.
>>
File: OilCompanies-300x300.png (98KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
OilCompanies-300x300.png
98KB, 300x300px
>>49692394
Oh, like, overtly evil druid? Pic related.
>>
File: UA The Faithful.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA The Faithful.pdf
1B, 486x500px
How OP do you guys think the Theurge is?
>>
>>49692327
>>49692336
Is there a drunken fist monastery? 'Cause Monk archetypes typically revolve around that. Otherwise, a drunken fist monk is just an every day monk who happens to be stronger when drunk.

Keeping track of +1/-1 ability score modifications, especially when ability score modification itself is already rare and 1 almost always means nothing, as well as having to keep track of various amounts of rounds/turns seems not very 5e-y to me. I also don't really get where these ki-empowered drinks come from? Does the monk learn how to make them? Just spawning them from magic doesn't really make sense. 5e usually (usually) requires effects to have a logical cause. Is simply being drunk not good enough? Maybe at some level the monk learns how to force themselves into a drunken stupor, but before that they need to keep stock of alcohol like a ranger with arrows? Maybe the archetype should have something that doesn't require alcohol, as well, if you go that route.

It's kinda' weird a "stance" is all about "not standing."

Nothing gives them advantage on attacks, which is the one thing I'd expect a drunken monk to have as the style's strength in real life comes from their unpredictable movements.
>>
>>49692394
Well defilers have been a thing for at least a few editions I'm pretty sure. It's basically captain planet villain druids who suck the life out of nature for power, but there's some fun in things like that for the right kind of party
>>
>>49692735
Very. Core wizard is strong and that just makes them unreasonable.
>>
>>49692735
I don't think it's OP, but it really does make playing a non offensive sort of cleric useless.
>>
Does your group have voices that they use when talking in character or do they only speak in character?
>>
>>49692958
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1bt45NvMmpM
>>
File: sleepy.png (93KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
sleepy.png
93KB, 500x493px
>>49692958
Most of my players do, yeah.
>>
>>49693036
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1bR4gnPDCTD
>>
Can't decide what I want to play for an upcoming campaign.

Party is two fighters, a monk, and me.

Was thinking half-elf bard or high-elf divination Wizard.

What kinda Bard is the most fun? The fighters are probably battlemaster munchkins so no point in me trying to play a damage-dealer or a frontliner.

DM is giving us a free feat at 1st level. Dunno what to do with that either.
>>
>>49692172
Cant reload handcrossbow bolt with rapier in hand brah. Crossbow expert may get rid of loading tag but it still has ammunition tag.
>>
>>49693160
you sure? hmmmmmmmmmm
ammunition tag just means you need to have ammo in stock
>>
>>49692172
> rapier/shortsword
Why? You need light weapon in both hand. And if you take a feat to fix that, you will ve better off with rapier/rapier

Also you still need to get Fighting style from somewhere, or it isn't worth your bonus action to attack.
>>
Rate my feat

Still no name:
-Increase your Wis score by 1 to a maximum of 20
-You gain a ki pool equal to half your level, every 2 levels beyond this one you gain 1 extra ki point. Stacks with monk levels
-Choose 1 power from the Wot4E monk list, you can use that power. Use your character levels to determine which powers you can pick
>>
>>49693167
SAGEADVICE

> The first benefit of the feat lets you ignore the loading property (PH, 147) of the hand crossbow if you’re proficient with that weapon. The upshot is that you can fire it more than once if you have a feature like Extra Attack. You’re still limited, however, by the fact that the weapon has the ammunition property (PH, 146). The latter property requires you to have a bolt to fire from the hand crossbow, and the hand crossbow isn’t going to load itself (unless it’s magical or a gnomish invention). You need to load each bolt into the weapon, and doing so requires a hand.
>>
>>49693167
>>49693187
> To dig deeper into this point, take a look at the following sentence in the definition of the ammunition property: “Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack.” The sentence tells us two important things. First, you’re assumed to be drawing—that is, extracting with your hand—the ammunition from a container. Second, the act of drawing the ammunition is included in the attack and therefore doesn’t require its own action and doesn’t use up your free interaction with an object on your turn.
>>
Druid in Crag Cat form is hilarious..
Spell turning and non detection at level 2 is broken.
>>
>>49693160
>>49693187
>>49693195
This, words of Jeremy "no fun if you're a martial" Crawford
>>
Wait, sorry I'm not grasping this, per Sage Advice, with the Crossbow Expert feat, I can't attack wiith the rapier, then stap back and fire the crossbow with my offhand at some other enemy? Sorry im a little bit drunk and confused.
>>
>>49693183

Seems like an auto-take for Wot4e monks as they desperately need all the Ki they can get.
>>
>>49692220
Wait how did they change onion druid? I knew you can't use cone of cold on horse anymore.
>>
>>49693217
No, you can't unless that crossbow reloads itself magically
>>
>>49693217
You can if your crossbow is already loaded. You only have one shot with it unless you drop your rapier though.
>>
>>49693250
Ah ok, thanks

In our game, I am allowed, thematically, to have the hand crossbow be a pistol (same damage). So basically I can attack with the rapier, fire the pistol once at another enemy, drop the pistol, and continue fighting with the rapier? Sounds about right I guess...
>>
>>49693261
Isn't that why pirate carry a bunch of pistol, historically?

Since it would take too long to reload. They just drop and draw a new one to shoot.
>>
>>49693272
I think so. Admittedly, though, they were likely to carry more than one so they didn't just blow their load and be shit outta luck
>>
File: 1382852986451.png (49KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1382852986451.png
49KB, 1000x1000px
Missed my chance last thread-

What the fuck is pre-war greyhawk? I know pretty much nothing about the setting, and Wikipedia indicates to me that I'm looking for 25-year-old setting material.
>>
File: 1472108444640.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1472108444640.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>49693337
>>
why we so dead bois?
>>
>>49693516
There are 2 threads active for some reason.
>>
>>49693601
Missed it because of the deleted image, thanks man
>>
>>49691959
>elements monk is the only one that doesn't have some kind of fix out
You what?
>>
>>49693158
Get Inspiring Leader and be a pos 6 support.
>>
>>49692220
> Onion druid got nixed
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: Warleader Archetype.jpg (105KB, 1015x620px) Image search: [Google]
Warleader Archetype.jpg
105KB, 1015x620px
I like all the powers that monsters and npc's have and I disliked that there isn't a way for a player to get all of them on a character.

Does making a fighter archetype with these abilities seem balanced?
>>
>>49694349
I have no idea how half of those abilities work but its seems ok honestly.
>>
TG, tell me about your creative use of spells

From Teleport Glyph of Warding, to sweeping conjuration of Mage Hand to find smuggling nooks and crannies, I wanna hear it all
>>
>>49694799
Spare the dying stabilises someone at 0 HP. It's a cantrip. A dagger does less than 10 damage.

You can cut someone's head off slowly with a knife without killing them.
>>
>>49691959
>with strong but still mortal heroes.
Below olympic level actually
>>
>>49694133
I think he meant official fix.
>>
>>49694799
I'm tempted to come up with a setting where, a true immortal wizard, eons after everything around him has died and succumbed to the expansion of space ripping everything but him apart into nothing, has succeeded in making a programmed illusion computer that simulates reality.
>>
>>49694842

Jesus Christ man
>>
>>49694799

create water to saturate rocks and shape water to freeze the water in the rocks and destabilize them. it's subjective whether a dm would allow this to make a difference in game, but I haven't seen someone mention it before
>>
>>49694842
>A dagger does less than 10 damage.

But if the target is at 0, it's an automatic crit
>>
>>49694842
This is why failed death saves shouldn't go away until you take a long rest.

This sort of death tanking is so obvious I'm surprised it wasn't caught during the extensive beta.
>>
>>49694842
As a DM, I'd have two possible answers:
-The nofun route would be saying that cutting some important bit of the neck does extra damage, so they die.
- The "sure, whatever" route is that now that they have no lungs, they start drowning.
>>
Hey lads I'm playing with a couple friends tomorrow and never played before, I was wondering what class do you find most fun?
>>
>>49695402
Warlock.
>>
>>49695402
Battle Master/Monster hunter fighters are fun.

Rogues are fun.

Paladins are fun.

Monks are fun.

Wizards are fun.

Sorcerers are fun after a few levels.

(New) Rangers are fun.

Warlocks can be fun if you actually understand how you should play them and what spells you should choose.

Clerics are fun depending on your domain choice.

Druids can be fun but you generally need to fight for the fun by knowing what you're doing.

Barbarians are really really good. I don't find them terribly fun, but if you like winning fights you might very well find them fun.

Bards are really really good and fun.
Use your Magical secrets choices wisely.
>>
>>49695402
Personally, I think fighters and clerics are the most fun class. Of course though, all classes can be equally fun. It just depends on your interests and general play style.
>>
>>49695402
Tell us a bit more about yourself? Do you know what level are you starting at? Most of the classes are fun, but Bard can be the most versatile, if you're unsure of what to play.
>>
Is Favored Soul Sorcerer any good? Medium Armor and Extra Attack seem like a waste for a d6 HD class. I do like a character with both healing and blasting spell though.
>>
>>49695418
>>49695493
>>49695503
>>49695522
Cheers lads
>>
>>49695493
>if you actually understand how you should play
I like this meme

Maybe they shouldn't put a melee subclass on it and melee cantrips only if they don't want to trick people into melee combat with it, you know like some kind of ... trap option
>>
>>49695540
It's alright.
Dragon and storm are "better" imo, but life domain favored souls get some very very sick spells for a sorcerer to have.
>>
>>49695555
I'm with you bro.
At least 5e's Ivory Tower-ism is taken down a hundred notches from 3.5/PF.
>>
>>49695540
I played one and had a blast, but rolls were with me
Picked variant human, weapon expert (for Greatsword and Glaive), ended with 18 on Str, 14 on Con and was GFBing the shit out of people, by 4th level I also picked GWM and I was GFBing twice with a pretty awesome AC.
>>
Looking to shorten some terminology.

Bludgeoning to Blunt
Slashing to ???
Piercing to ???

Help a wizard out, yo.
>>
>>49695623
tear
poke

idk why this is important
>>
>>49695623
>Bludgeoning to Blunt
Slashing to Sharp
Piercing to Pointy
>>
>>49695623
A Slashing weapon is called a G&R

Piercing weapon is called a Brosnan

>tfw no cockney RPG
>>
>>49695585
Can you even twin spell GFB?
>>
>>49695555
Bladelock would be fine if warlocks didn't have so many darn invocation taxes. As is, you still want the invocations for eldritch blast, and the blade invocations. Which is half of the invocations a level 20 has.
>>
>>49695692
No - it can target more than one creature.
>>
>>49695692
Either twin or quicken depends on the interpretation but yes, you can GFB twice per turn
>>
>>49695704
Medium or Heavy armor wouldn't harm either.
>>
>>49695661
>Piercing weapon is called a Brosnan
>>
>>49695661
>A Slashing weapon is called a G&R

So what would the Bludgeoning cockney damage type be called?

For that matter, what about the others? Radiant, Necrotic, Thunderous, etc.?
>>
An all caster party and an all martial party are each tasked with a full 3-20 adventure. Who wins it faster?
>>
>>49695908
How many party members, and what is the specific comp?

A moon druid is a caster, but functions as an effective meat shield, for instance, and all casters need to operate really is a meatshield or two that have consistent damage.
>>
>>49695908
Martials, as all their turns are much faster with no looking up spell effects
>>
>>49695943
>>49695908
Moon druid
Valor bard
Bladesinger wizard
Bladefiendlock
War cleric
Dragon sorc

And

Arcane trickster
Eldritch knight
Vengeance paladin
New beast master ranger
Long death monk
Totem barb
>>
>>49695996
Given those comps my bet is gonna be on the martials.
>>
>>49692172
Swashbuckler rogues are hillariously suited for Gish multiclassing since they are Charisma dependent.

Dip one level into Dragon Sorcerer , pick Booming blade, Green flame blade, Mage hand and Predistignation cantrips and the Shield spell.

Enjoy the ride as you combine your main class feature (Cha mod to initiative and free disengagement by dashing) with spell casting that works with sneak attacks.
And all of that with the minimal gear of one rapier.
>>
>>49696032
Why? My money is on the casters still. 5th level spells are such a huge advantage at higher levels. They can invalidate encounters or cheese past exploration/social challenges.
>>
>>49696164
They swim through the early levels faster, can handle much *much* more combat punishment, they have much higher damage output, they have access to enough magical utility to help them through RP utility stuff, and they're better equipped against deadly encounters which can cheese casters very very quickly through high HP and damage outputs that casters don't have the brawn to handle.

The casters can cheese many things themselves by burning all their spell slots, but against tougher enemies and, eventually, BBEG encounters with elite creatures and legendary saves things can go sour for them very quickly and end the run, whereas the martials are in a better position to deal with the heavy combats since their stuff targets AC and not saves while simultaneously having way higher damage outputs.
>>
I've got about $35 on my Amazon account. What are some accessories I can get for D&D? I already have a DM screen and a battle mat.
>>
>>49696239
Given the prompt, early levels aren't a problem, with the most lethal levels for casters avoided. However, as the game advances, the martials are going to notice the lack of a healer. Additionally, the casters having the likely abilities to hit more than two opponents with heavy damage on cantrips with green flame blade will give them a combat advantage over the martials, even when the spell slots are out.
>>
>>49696336
The deadliness in 5e is taking far more damage than healing can get you through. A deadly encounter for the casters can 100-0 most of them in a single round.

If those casters are in melee it's going to be even worse for them - the martial group out-damages and out-tanks the caster group by *massive* margins
>>
>>49695996
>>49695908
Hard to say which would perform better. Depends on the adventure, the enemies encountered, how many encounters happen in a single day, lethality of the encounters, and so on. The caster party has an edge in versatility and healing, but the martial party has better endurance and between skills and their limited magic they can get a lot of things done too. I'd say the casters would ultimately win out because of how high tier magical get pretty ridiculous strong. The only saving grace that could help out the martial is how late tier enemies tend to have a lot to help them counter magic from casters.
>>
>>49696386
I was basing my projection on RAW DMG recommendations.
>>
>>49696393
Idk what that is. I don't use the DMG for much outside of magic items.
>>
>>49696447
DMG pg 84
>>
>>49692804

I haven't fluffed it properly for my setting yet, but the skeleton of this character's background would suggest that he took to DF from a wandering monk after getting kicked out of his own actual monastery.

>> Keeping track of +1/-1 ability score modifications, especially when ability score modification itself is already rare ... [snip]
I'd start that out as +2 DEX / -2 INT for one turn, but I figured that buff was too strong for one drink

>> I also don't really get where these ki-empowered drinks come from? Does the monk learn how to make them? Just spawning them from magic doesn't really make sense. 5e usually (usually) requires effects to have a logical cause. Is simply being drunk not good enough?
Here is the problem I faced with the drinking mechanic and why I went to the "ki-drink" phrasing:
- Using drinking as a mechanic makes it limited by available drinks
- In a tavern drinks are everywhere and plentiful, but in the lich's pit they are nowhere
- I'd prefer he not feel like the party mule has to carry around three kegs just to keep him effective in the woods

I settled on "ki-drink" because it seemed better than manifesting an otherwise better form of regular alcohol. That said, I could mandate that he has to be regular drunk as well to gain any of these nifty benefits.

>> Nothing gives them advantage on attacks..

I'd originally considered flat giving them advantage on any reaction. Maybe it would be better as a drink
>>
>>49692327
>>49692336
I like the idea and the stances but you are ignoring fluff and the booze etc.

What I suggest is this:

Lvl 3: Drunken master
Proficient with improvised weapons and treat them as monk weapons, no movement penalties for difficult terrain or standing up apply to you.

Lvl 6 Master brew:
Proficiency with the brewing kit and can brew "Revitalizing ale/gin/wine" by expending 2 ki when brewing a beverage.

Magic potion that expires after a day and turns back into booze (you can infuse it with 1 ki to let it regain its effect for a day).

When consumed the drink lets you regain twice your monk level Hp, can drink up to (Wis mod+a quarter of your monk level rounded down) per short rest before making Con saves against your own Ki save DC and gaining a level of exhaustion and not healing on a failed roll.

All others who drink it regain the same ammount of Hp but have to make a DC Con save against your ki save DC+number of drinks taken or gain a level of exhuastion and failing to heal.

Lvl 11 Fire groud:
As an action you can breathe fire by expending 1 flask of ordinary alcohol and 1 ki dealing 2d10+Monk level fire damage in a 15 ft Cone (no saves)

Lvl 17 Intoxicated gaze:
As a reaction by expending 3 ki you may affect a target within 60 ft of you that you can see with a dizzy feeling imposing disadvantage on all its saves.
Target must make a Con save to end this effect contesting your Ki save DC at the end of each of your turns.
>>
>>49696378
The martial group out damages the caster group only in single target damage, and int while the casters are out of spell slots. While there casters have spell slots, they out damage and out tank the martial group by massive margins. Meanwhile, ritual casting on tiny hut means they have far more freedom to take long rests and get spell slots back.

This is ignoring how certain spells can completely invalidate encounters, such as teleport, invisibility, and banishment. If you factor those in, and figure out how much damage was avoided by not even having a fight, and fire much damage was pseudo dealt by winning the fight without fighting, the martials literally can't keep up.
>>
What is the best way to run a bunch of soldiers fighting alongside pcs?
They are camping with soldiera and are going to be attacked. The plan is to throw a few big enemies and basically have the commander say "You guys take the big one, we got these ones".
I want to figure out how long it takes the soldiers before they join in on the big one. Is there away to do this without rolling for each soldier or should I just make a guess? There are about 50 soldiers.
>>
>>49696529
They deal more damage with anything less than 4 targets grouped together than the casters

>they out damage and out tank the martial group by massive margins
No
>>
>>49693158
Be a caster since you have only one caster.
Poach healing spells from Cleric lists.
Take magic initiate Sorcerer or something and get a few offensive cantrips +Shield for support.
>>
>>49694349
Martial Prowess is just limited and worse sneak attack, Leadership is just limited and worse Bardic Inspiration, Parry is Defensive Duelist, Last Stand is OP, Burly Heart should be ok but is just a mishmash of different racial abilities (Fey Ancestry for sleep imm and charm res, Stout halfling fear res, dwarf poison res, paralyzed and stunned res I have never seen). Not sure what npcs and monsters have these, or why you thought there weren't similar abilities available to PCs. That is the case with undead nature and stuff, but not these.
>>
>>49695623
Why not just bld, sls and prc?
>>
>>49696541

Once the soldiers engage the enemies, roll 1d4+2.

Whatever the outcome, that's how many turns it takes for the soldiers to mop up the enemies.

Then maybe roll two or three d12's -- the added up outcome is how many soldiers were slain.
>>
>>49695996
This looks more like Gish vs. Gish.
>>
>>49696541
Mob rules or armies clash ua depending on if the sides are both large or not
>>
>>49695649
Best answer.
>>
>>49696699
Nice digits
>>
>>49695996
> martial team has 4 caster
>>
>>49696878
Rainier Wolfcastle in front of a brick wall.
>>
>>49696878
>hey guys I took magic initiate on my frenzied berserker barbarian I'm a caster now xD
>>
File: koob.png (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
koob.png
77KB, 500x500px
>>49696878
>Don't get spells above 6th level
>Casters
>>
Hey guys, I'm still new to DMing and I don't feel very comfortable designing my own encounters yet. I've read the relevant part of the DMG a few times and I guess it just isn't clicking.

Let's say I have four players. What level should they be around for me to throw them into a boss fight against a level 6 sorcerer and a few mooks?
>>
Need some help. I'm playing a 1 on 1 session with the gf trying to get her into DnD. We played the first game last night, she's a human rogue who wants to blow stuff up, so the story is basically she's a apprentice alchemist for a thieves' guild. She went through a cave of kobolds to retrieve an item for the master alchemist(who I want to be the BBEG) and loved it.

I've never dm'd so I'm not sure where to go next. I've given her plot hooks to become a full member of the guild(steal from a noble, kill a rival spy, infiltrate the city's official alchemy guild) but I haven't fleshed them out.

What kind of encounters/story points can I work in for a single pc?
>>
>>49697030
Depends on what spells you give the sorcerer.
If you give the sorcerer fireball/lightning bolt then your party should probably at least be 4 or else have the opportunity to ambush the sorcerer. Otherwise you might just one-shot some of them.
>>
>>49697030
This. >>49697074

You already know not all spells of the same level are equal in power, especially when it comes to combat.

Think about the HP pool of your party, and think about what their individual max HPs are.
Then ask yourselves a few questions:
Do you anticipate them getting to the boss at full capacity? As in, did they need to expend a lot of resources to get there.
What's the sorcerer's goal? Is he trying to escape? Is that not an option and he is trying to just murder the players by any means necessary?
If he just wants to kill the PCs how about he sends a fireball at them without regard to hurting any of his mooks. Not caring about your own guys is classic bad guy stuff and incidentally helps lower the challenge for your players since he helps off them for you.
>>
>>49697282
Oh, and I forgot to mention. Select the spells you think you'd like him to have. Use a website like anydice to check the average rolls. See how likely it is that you straight up murder your party with the spell you want to pick.

It can be a good way for players to feel tension by hitting them hard right away with something like a fireball because bad guys show little restraint.

But perhaps after that they only have their shitty cantrips to work with to damage them.

Or what I often do, if the bad guy thinks highly of himself, is I have him use his weaker stuff first, then once he falls below a certain HP threshold have him unleash his most powerful attack to show he now sees them as a serious threat or that he's panicking.
>>
>>49696636
The goal was to give the martials as much spell access as possible, and the casters as much combat strength as possible.

I ignored wot4e because it is widely considered shit, and doesn't have an official fix like the ranger. So I just chose a random monk archetype
>>
File: 42389734_p1.png (439KB, 626x900px) Image search: [Google]
42389734_p1.png
439KB, 626x900px
Stupid question, is there a half-dragon homebrew class?
Not dragonborn, but "Me dad's literally a dragon" kind of half-dragon?
Are they still a thing?
>>
>party has a difficult encounter against several orcs and an ogre
>two of four characters go down, neither fails death saves and the others manage to finally win
>everyone is satisfied, feel like they played well and earned their victory
>reading over the module later
>after the orc leader is killed, all the orcs should flee
>this would have happened on turn one, thus making the encounter trivial
...whoops?
>>
>>49697966
Do you want to play a half-dragon half-whale barbarian like your girlfriend?
>>
>>49697966
Dragonborn / Dragon Sorcerer is the closest you'll get
A good idea is to see what powers you want and then see what class fits that the most
>>
>>49697966
Drakin is what u need
>>
>>49697063
Look into some sort of retainer/assistant for them, even a dog. Think of some sort of twist, it doesn't have to be original. A thief is actually an undercover cop or a noble is actually running the crime syndicate. With a solo rouge it would be easy to accidentally make "filler episodes", so try to avoid that by tying them together in some, even loose, way.
>>
>>49697966
It's an NPC template. Not a class.
>>
>>49697971
What is the problem?
You accidentally were a good gm?
>>
I've been writing up stats for FF6-style Magitek Armour for my Final Fantasy inspired 5e game, and I decided to stat them up like siege weapons with a couple extra stats of their own (notably, Strength and Constitution), and statting up pilots separately. If I wanted to figure out the CR of pilot + armour together, I'd just combine their stats and look shit up on that table to get approximate numbers, right?
>>
>>49698065
I don't know, that's the problem.
Everyone had fun but I feel dumb for not even being able to run a module properly.
>>
>>49698121
I don't like the CR table thing. I just look at what it can do and how much punishment the thing in question can take compared to other things, and base a CR approximation on that.
>>
>>49698141
Oh, so I would probably be better off comparing it to similar monsters and and eyeballing things? I can do that.
>>
New player here, should I bite the bullet an buy the core books?

When is a good estimate of when the next edition comes out3-5 years?
>>
>>49698139
Modules are just outlines. At the end of the day, it's up to you how closely you adhere. As long as you and your players enjoy it don't worry about it.
>>
>>49698160
Yeah. It's always worked for me.
>>
>>49698163
Well, 3e was early 2000s, 4e was around 2007, 5e started in 2014 so I'd say you've got a good few years, e specially considering they're slowing down the rate of book production and they almost didn't make 5e in the first place
>>
>>49698139
>Everyone had fun

Good. As a DM that is your primary objective, as well as making sure that you had a good time as well. Once both of those boxes are ticked, everything else is secondary.

So what if you didn't do exactly as the module stated? I'm sure it pushed your players a bit further and from the sound of it, they got out of it largely unscathed (and the added challenge seems to have been a factor).

Next time, just re-read the module if you want to adhere to it verbatim or make some notes. There are probably going to be a lot of times that you'll feel as if you haven't done enough/prepared enough, but as long as it's a fun and engaging game for your players, they don't need to know all the little slips that you may have had
>>
>>49682801
By playing really well and giving me hope in the first half of the session and eating doritos on fire and saying alex is a stupid nigger like it's fucking hilarious in the second half of the session.
>>
>>49698163
>When is a good estimate of when the next edition comes out3-5 years?
5e has a lot of unprecedented stuff: a dedicated 2-year playtest, continuing release of playtest material, and a slow, story-focused release. It could be the longest-lived edition depending on how things go in the next few years.
>>
DMing Lost Mines, Glasstaff escaped from the Redbrand hideout and I think it'd be super boring for him to never show up again.
I think I'm gonna put him in Cragmaw Castle in the room with Grol, his wolf and his doppelganger / drow.
Is this an okay encounter for 4 level 3s?
(Glasstaff is a CR1 Evil Mage)
>>
>>49693272
Yes, that is accurate. Although it was less "dropping" it - they would have each pistol tied to a rope, that was tied to their belt/vest.
>>
What would happen if I swapped out the Sorcerer's spell list for the Druid's?
>>
>>49698163
If 6e is coming, it's not until next decade, at least. 5e is doing well, despite or possibly due to the slow content release schedule.
>>
>>49698345
You'd have a sorcerer with druid spells.
>>
File: what the fuck am i reading.png (513KB, 911x1070px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck am i reading.png
513KB, 911x1070px
>>49698012
>Drakin
What the fuck is this OP speshul snowflake shit
>>
>>49698491
>Asks for Half-Dragon homebrew
>Complains about snowflake
Not sure what you expected there, bromosapien.
>>
Is there ever a point not to take the Sharpshooter and Skulker feats for a ranged rogue? I mean it's free sneak shots, hiding in plain sight and you can do it half across the nation.
>>
>>49698649
>skulker
Dear God no. Don't take that useless shit.
>>
>>49698649
Mainly the limited amounts of chances you have to get a feat as well as there already being fairly easy ways to get reliable sneak attacks
>>
>>49698345
Quickened Spike Growth + Thorn Whip, and Twinned Cure Wounds, that's what happens.
>>
I'm getting to play a Theurge Wiz here soon.

Was thinking Light domain, but I have a question.

alot of Cleric features and shit have stuff that depends on Wis or Cleric levels, because it's meant for Clerics.

If you're getting that as a Theurge, do you instead use Int/Wizard levels?

Because if not, and it's still Wis/Cleric levels dependent, that really makes alot of stuff no good.

I just can't imagine the person who created Theurge over at WotC missed something so obvious. A sentence would be all it took to clarify this
>>
>>49698732
Mearls is unfortunately bad at catching shit like that when he writes the UAs. At my table, I rule it as Wis/Wizard level.
>>
>mfw DM won't let me perserve a Treant by transplanting a branch into a pot of druid enhanced dirt.

I guess I'll never Groot
>>
>>49698801
Good. Treepeople are an abomination.
>>
Hey /tg/, I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm running a level 3 one-shot D&D weekend with some friends, I have a few minor encounters strung together to lead them along and then I want the finale to be Deaths House. I'm pretty garbage at balance, will a group of level 3 PC's just storm through the house like nothing? What should I do to make encounters harder, or should I just throw some minor encounters into the empty rooms just to tax resources.
>>
>>49698967
If there are less than 4 of them and they try to fight the shambling mound they're all gonna die
>>
>>49695402
Paladin or swashbuckler rogue or both by multiclassing, most fun I've ever had. Allows for so much RP
>>
Why is Warlock not just a Sorcerer archtype that gained access to a few cleric/druid spells?
>>
>>49699035
Because warlocks and sorcerers are thematically very different.
>>
>>49699035
Because fuck off.
>>
>>49695402
Paladins are very straight forward. You passively buff your allies, you have a small selection of spells, and you smite evildoers. Fun, and flavorful without having to micromanage a huge amount of options.

Be Human and take Polearm master, since it will get you an extra 1, possibly 2 attacks every turn.
>>
So what's the deal with factions? Do they actually, you know... Do anything?

>>49698967

As an L3, Death House gave me a pretty heft. But a good rule of thumb is just add copies of the same bad guy. Two magic brooms instead of one, six armors instead of four. The BBEG is a power couple.
>>
>>49698305
No.
You would wipe the party.
>>
>>49699146
Are you sure?
They managed to beat 7 orcs and an ogre at Wyvern Tor without any of them dying.
>>
>>49699056
>>49699085

How so? Both get powers from strange unusual origins, both have these powers innately and expressed by their force of will, both are slightly tougher and hardier than the wizards, both are thematically impulsive.

What is the literal difference between Jack Johnson, the warlock who made a deal with the devil for innate magical powers, and John Jackson, the sorcerer who has innate magical powers from a deal with the devil?

Warlock should have just been a Sorcerer archtype with fluid options inside similar to Totem-Barb.
>>
>>49699185
Throw him in Cragmaw castle, but not with Grol, possibly with the "Returning Warband" at the end?
>>
>>49699186
Warlocks aren't about origins at all. Warlocks powers are not expressed as a force of will, they're expressed as a channeling of their patron's magic.
>>
Guys how do i introduce a new player who never played rpg before to the forgotten realms setting?
Im going to gm the LMoP adventure to 3 friends who are all new to tabletop and dont know anything about the setting.
>>
>>49699186
>9 warlock options should have been made into 1 sorcerer subclass
Sure, buddy.
>>
>>49699212
That's not a bad idea.
Thanks dude.
>>
>>49699215
Is he an intelligent man or an awkward autist
>>
>>49699215
As someone who's done this recently, you don't really need to.
As long as they know the absolute basics, ie what elves and dwarves are, etc, a quick explanation of the other core races and what each class does is all you need.
Explain other stuff as you get to it.
>>
File: 1475686993410.jpg (84KB, 480x636px) Image search: [Google]
1475686993410.jpg
84KB, 480x636px
>>49699215
Do they play games or are otherwise interested in fantasy settings like books? If yes, then the setting is fairly typical fantasy stuff. Not saying that it's bad (actually I like FR the most and am happy that WotC have such a boner for that Setting) , but nothing too fancy. When me and my friends first started out we didn't really give the setting any mind and started playing. We didn't reach any of the iconic FR locations for quite a while until later in another campaign.

If it's just the races/location and stuff like this I think that they'll get a good grip during character creation.
>>
>>49699218
At 1st level, a Warlock-Sorcerer picks a Pact.
At 1st level, a Warlock-Sorceer picks a Patron.

Pact gives a small bonus, Patron gives spell-list.

At 6th and 11th level, Pact bonuses improve.
At 8th and 16th level, Patron bonuses improve.
>>
>>49699186
On top of the other reasons that this is stupid, surely you'd want to roll sorcs into warlocks and not the other way round. Warlocks are the ones with unique mechanics, sorcerers are just blasty wizards.
>>
>>49699186
Warlock magic is not innate. It's vested. Jack Johnson 1 is in it for the long haul, and is obliged to his fiendish patron in some way. Without his patron, he can't get more magic.

Jack Johnson 2 is fundamentally changed by his deal, and can grow in magical power even if the devil that empowered him is killed in the nine hells.
>>
>>49699215
copy/paste a bunch of relevant stuff from the Volo's Guides - they're out of date, but still flavoursome.
>>
>>49699304
Sorcerers don't have patrons. They have parents.
>>
>>49696570

Thanks for the reply.

Martial Advantage is worse than sneak attack but it shouldn't be much better than the champion fighter's extra damage from their increased critical range.

I assumed leadership was a persistent resistance + bless given the wording. It can be silenced but not dispelled and doesn't require concentration. If it requires reaction or bonus action then it probably is weak.

I chose parry as another ability because it's not especially strong, but gives the fighter something to do with its reaction if it hasn't chosen a feat like sentinel.

Last stand is good vs lower CR enemies which tend to be more difficult encounters for the potential reward.

Burly Heart is Heart of Hruggek, and it seems on par with champion fighter's regeneration.
>>
File: 100 percent crazy.png (400KB, 493x493px) Image search: [Google]
100 percent crazy.png
400KB, 493x493px
>>49698713

>Twinned Cure Wounds
>>
>>49699591
I have zero clue what you're trying to say with that image.
>>
File: pepe_37.jpg (55KB, 500x473px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_37.jpg
55KB, 500x473px
>first time DM
>promised group largely political campaign because they hate combat
>no idea what im doing
>first session: crash their ship bound to the capitol in some remote province to buy me some time
>session 3 coming up tomorrow.
>Have decent world fleshed out but still no idea how to generate interesting political intrigue while also keeping the players in the drivers seat

Fuck guys I need help. What are good sources of political intrigue that don't get bogged down in autistic complexity?
>>
>>49699563
I'm not talking about balance as much as originality since you said these are things unavailable to players. Worse versions of two signature class abilities from other classes is not new powers. Same with taking a feat and Heart being just several abilities already possible to get all-in-one (though it is the most unique out of all of them). Not sure what you mean with the Last Stand comment, it's probably not that OP though I'm not sure. It is already possible to get similar things with Long Death monks and Half-Orc though.
>>
>>49699670
Succession, particularly when there was no heir apparent. Doesn't even have to be royalty, could be a noble house or merchant dynasty.

Everyone with a claim will try to take power for themselves, rival factions will take advantage of the opportunity. Multiple angles to approach from, but the goal is essentially the same: put somebody at the head of the table.
>>
How do you handle exploration in 5e?
>>
>>49699670
Sneaky bastard Fey have replaced some noble
>>
>>49699728
The exact same way I handle it in literally any tabletop game
>>
>>49689630
I recently created a rocky troll like detritus because i like the idea more than the troll in the MM
>>
>>49689630
MTG Cards
Fantasy Novels
Lesser known mythologies (though the MM has most of those covered)
>>
>>49699720
>>49699730
Wait, both of these. A legit noble is in league with the Fey and is replacing other influential people with changelings/constructs/whatever.
>>
>>49699759
I was pretty suprised that the MM didn't have a changeling that wasn't a doppleganger, there's changeling myths from the polish and inuit, it's suprisingly common.
>>
>>49699670
Succession crisis in a local merchant house in the nearest town.

A senior manager is trying to sieze the merchant house through successful bribes etc.
The only son and heir was away and trained as an eldritch knight.
Upon his return he has to avoid repeated assassination attempts one of which your party stops and gets hired to help him.
As you investigate you find evidence of a net of corruption involving the local Lord being involved into weapon smuggling through the merchant house, a prostitution ring run by said merchant house etc.
A few senior managers are still on the heirs side (with some only pretending).

Basically focus on sabotage, investigation and covert missions trying to establish the heirs position.
>>
>>49684835
The best is the reposition one for that type IMO
>>
>>49699783
I'm a big fan of the Malazan series' approach to shapeshifters.

Basically,
>an ancient tribe of mortals wanted to achieve immortality so they engaged in a ritual that sundered their souls from their bodies, granting them immortality and the ability to change into any form they wished. Unfortunately, they soon found that with immortality came an endless hunger, and that by devouring other lifeforms (especially other shapeshifters) they could increase their own power and grow closer to Ascension. They have long since scattered to the remote parts of the world, endlessly roaming deserts and forests, devouring anybody and anything they come across.

There's a part in one of the books where a seemingly harmless merchant runs into the main characters in the middle of the desert. He offers them shelter and food, and as soon as they let their guard down he melts into a swarm of rats and devours the party mage.
>>
>>49699922
>Malazan series
Welp that's another series of books to put in the "to read" pile, but yeah the idea of a purely carnivorus species of shapeshifter sounds interesting, reading through the monster manual i was kinda dissapointed with the amount of pretty vanilla stuff, but i suppose volo's guide is supposed to be a weirder monster manual so that'd be nice.
>>
>>49699740
And?
Describe how you lazy and rotund fucker.
>>
>>49699985
no
>>
>>49700001
This isn't /pfg/.
>>
>>49700026
I'm obligated to detail how I run my games... because this isn't /pfg/?
>>
>>49700046
Do you or do you not want to participate in conversation like grown adults or do you want to autistically fling your shit around?
Because you're currently not participating in conversation.
>>
>>49700026
Ok, Anon I feel sorry for you and the other guy is being an asshat so I'll bite.

Tbf that's a really stupid question. What do you mean how do you handle exploration?

Either
A) You give your party a map and have them go out to a set destination, or
B) You don't give them a map and have them investigate for something (a ruined temple, a bandit stronghold, a wizard's tower etc. etc.)

You, the DM, should always, always have a map ready, full of interesting things the party might encounter. What else do you want to know?
>>
>>49700099
I answered a question
You wanting more doesn't obligate me to say more
Here's some homebrew for you though bro, on the house
>>
>>49700099
While I'd be glad to have you two lovebirds continue to duke it out, I'll step in here at least for a second:

I always work exploration in three tiers of size.
>Direction
>Path
>Room

Ie. Players choose to go North, they follow/find a path through [obstacles], at any given destination they can explore it like a room. All of these can be supplemented with skill checks (Investigation/Perception/Survival/History) and Challenges (Athletics/Combat, etc).
>>
>>49700124
Thank you overlarge autistic manchild, you do you.
>>
>>49688146
2e is just a more zany, less forgiving, more fun version of 5e. Monsters are less formulaic and threats take more thought to overcome. There are a lot of optional rules you can find withoit reaorting to home-brewed stuff. It's like a crazy uncle with amazing stories that don't quite make sense 100% of the time. It's 5e with a soul.
>>
File: FelauForTG.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
FelauForTG.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49700124
Superior homebrew coming through~
>>
>>49700177
6'4" 380
Listen to you scream like a lady

>>49700203
Mine's better bruh
>>
File: aquilia.png (149KB, 5000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
aquilia.png
149KB, 5000x3000px
>>49699670
What level are they? If they're below at least 5th level they shouldn't be more than pawns in political games (and trying to become a Player at that level will end badly). Let them see political machinations at ground zero first. After a few levels are under their belts, THEN they can start to influence things, as they should have contacts, magic, even minor deities paying them attention.

Somewhere around 10-12th level is perfect for them to take a leading role in politics, from a minor lordship to a member of a ruling party's high council. Past these levels anything short of Godhood should be open to the bold and the daring.

And finally at and past 20th? Divinity. Or as close an approximation as your setting allows. Good luck! Pic unrelated, but political nonetheless.
>>
>>49700230
Lose some weight. No, really. The only impression anyone has of you is Boogie.
You mean to say you're 5' 5" and incredibly impotent.
>>
File: 1475773633775.png (264KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1475773633775.png
264KB, 1000x1000px
>>49700230
Mine's playable at more tables, doesn't discriminate against genders, isn't waifu worship, doesn't restrict alignments, and has some lore if the GM doesn't want to come up with any.

Get rekt, boy.
>>
>>49700249
Big black wall that will block out the sun
Bodies' get to flying, women clap when I'm done

>>49700261
Woosh
>>
>>49700241
>taking a leading role in politics at 10-12
A Noble is Cr 1/8, according to the MM. Guards are similarly low-level. You can get into politics at about level 3-5, but level 8-10 is when you uncover the 'fey plot to replace all the noble heirs with changelings'/'encroaching undead army from a kingdom long thought dead'/'princess eloped with a dragon and daddy don't like it' plotlines.
>>
File: security cat.png (246KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
security cat.png
246KB, 480x360px
>>49700261
>>49700230
>>49700203
>>49700124
Please Stop, all cat races are nice.
>>
>>49700301
There's always a best m8
>>
I want /pfg/ to leave.
>>
File: watthefuckinghell.gif (261KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
watthefuckinghell.gif
261KB, 100x100px
>>49700285
Nah, found your female mirror.
>>
>>49700311
They haven't wanted to fuck those races yet.
Maybe they do though.
>>
Are there good options for prestige type rules yet? 4e did that really well.
>>
File: nhiud.jpg (49KB, 724x828px) Image search: [Google]
nhiud.jpg
49KB, 724x828px
>>49700316
Punks better look out, the walls goin' fall
Right up on your crew and crush them all
Try not to spam bruh - you can quote yourself ya know

R8 my rimes
>>49688712
>>
File: 1475610347576.jpg (21KB, 249x380px) Image search: [Google]
1475610347576.jpg
21KB, 249x380px
>>49700350
you're saying that the original creator of the catgirl waifu race doesn't want to fuck them?

Hm.
>>49700285
>pic related
>>
>>49700362
Nope.
>>
>>49700362
There's rules for renown and whatnot in the DMG m8.
>>
>>49700377
Since I am that creator, I can definitively tell you I have no desire to fuck a c@

You gotta read the FAQ m8
>>
>>49700383
Sorry, I meant prestige classes.
>>
>>49700111
>>49700139
Cheers, good sirs. Good explanations, and should've been clearer with my initial question.

How descriptive are you with certain areas and/or do you just hand them a pre-drawn/well-drawn map and say the area looks like such-and-such?
Or do you do a hybrid of the two?

Is this also how you handle hex crawling in large maps?
>>
>>49700416
Ah. 5e doesn't really fit with prestige classes as a concept. The whole thing with archetypes is designed to give you the nuance and variability you want in most concept builds
>>
>>49700375
Yeah, but he wasn't quoting himself, he was quoting you.
>>
>>49700429
I understand bounded accuracy doesn't work at first, but you could probably get away with it by creating a second tier of bounds that you break into with prestige classes.
>>
>>49700375
You realize the only one who is being a complete waste of oxygen is you.
>>
File: 1475810635263.gif (3MB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
1475810635263.gif
3MB, 248x189px
>>49700403
>>
>>49700440
He posted the same gif twice

>>49700461
I don't see what that adds to the game really. Do you want, like, a higher tier of gameplay, like an Exalted game or something? You could try gestalt for that.

>>49700469
Ouch bruh words hurt

>>49700472
I live to serve
>>
>>49700375
What the fuck are you blathering about? Stop acting like a tool pls.
>>
File: ilaebn.jpg (63KB, 736x530px) Image search: [Google]
ilaebn.jpg
63KB, 736x530px
>>49700482
not my feelings anything but that

Have some monster art
>>
>>49700481
Prestige classes add further customization options, and a more expansive feel to the game, with prestige level challenges and foes.
>>
>>49700510
Did you remember to take your meds today?
>>
>>49700512
Gestalt would too m8
>>
>>49700520
Why don't you tell me mom?
>>
File: HowDoesSheDoHerHair.jpg (355KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
HowDoesSheDoHerHair.jpg
355KB, 900x900px
In an attempt to re-rail the thread: is any third party stuff any good? I haven't had the chance to look through much of it.

(Monstergirl to get replies)
>>
>>49700547
People say good things about the Tome of Beasts.
I prefer to make my own creatures though. It doesn't take terribly much to stat things I want to put in my games.
>>
>>49700547

>is any third party stuff any good?

No. Okay, one or two things, but it's very, very rare.
>>
>>49700547
Matt Mercer's stuff is brandied about a lot. Not sure about its quality.
>>
>>49700522
So after level 20 you pick a class to go into that's level 1?

That could work, but it isn't as clean as prestige classes.
>>
>>49700531
So you didn't, this explains so much.

>>49700556
Unfortunately this isn't very helpful mate.
>>
>>49700597
You can do dual classes from level 1 - that's generally what gestalt means

I never played 4e on advice of everyone I've ever played with - when I hear prestige classes I think of 3.5 prestige classes
But what you seem to be alluding to is something more akin to epic levels, which simply haven't been released yet.

>>49700622
Really makes you think
>>
>>49700547
You've passed the point where monster qualities make it sexier. That's just bestiality.
>>
>>49700622

I'll rephrase: Don't use third party stuff, it's almost entirely shit.
>>
>>49700203
>>49700124
Now I have to make awoo homebrew.
>>
>>49700639
Just don't make it cheap, tacky waifu-worship and you should be fine.
>>
File: AnomanderRake.jpg (152KB, 936x616px) Image search: [Google]
AnomanderRake.jpg
152KB, 936x616px
They expect me to pay 45 bucks for Campaign Cartographer 3? Fuck that. I get that its a good program but I literally just don't care about DMing enough to shell out that.

Anybody got any alternatives? Or a free download to CC3?
>>
>>49700639
When I get banned for posting awoos I'll make one in commemoration of that
>>
>>49700651
Awoo
>>
>>49700512
>>49700461
I Think you might be confusing prestige classes and epic level play. Though are two unrelated things. And epic level play in 5e is handled by epic boons.
>>
>>49700675
Iirc, prestige classes were generally taken in epic levels.
>>
>>49700688
I assume you're talking about 4e, since in 3.5 that wasn't really the case.
>>
>>49700636
Are they really all that bad? For what reasons?
>>
>>49700701
Yes. I could be wrong about it though. The built in epic level play in 5e is lackluster.
>>
>>49700688
Nope, not at all.

>>49700701
4e didn't have prestige classes, though they did have paragon paths and epic destinies.
>>
>>49700728
It's not really part of the system yet.

There aren't really any printed epic challenges except big spiky frog-lizard.
>>
>>49700728
4e had Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies, which you took in addition to levels in your base class.

>>49700656
It's on Piratebay.
>>
>>49700555
I might have a look at that. I have a weakness for reading monster books, even if I don't use anything from them.
>>49700633
That's just, like, your opinion man.
>>
>>49700656
I use Hexographer for overland maps.
>>
>>49700656
Inkarnate
>>
TG, I have a friend who is going to DM for the first time and I owe him a favor which he is collecting

A friend of his wants to play at his tale as a "Darth Maul" character (taking a complete shit in the beautiful basic party I designed for that table, but whatever) and my guy has so little idea what to do for him, that he's already delving into a paladin subclass homebrew

I've asked this before and I was suggested the Mystic, but since that thing is still a bit in the air, I need to give him a safe bet, and the only one I see coming is... the Bladelock

Now, I don't want to get this shitstorm started again, but bear with me, if knowing that already the Bladelock is a shit option but I'm stuck with it at the start anyway, and that I'm entirely open to eventually doing other stuff like a little multiclassing....

What is the best possible way i can make a bladelock / minimize the faggotry?
>>
>>49700815
No don't do it.
Just have him play valor bard and ignore fluff you don't like.
>>
>>49700794
The Tome of Beasts is in the Trove.
>>
>>49700815
How about a staff-using monk?
>>
>>49700728
The thing is, epic levels in 3.5 were a clusterfuck. Epic stuff only worked in 4e, because they built it into the base game. Level 30 became the new level 20, and all PCs eventually became demigods. And, because 5e is basically just a conservatively improved 3.5, they've rolled this back.
>>
>>49700928
>epic levels in 3.5 were a clusterfuck
To say the very least.
They statted Shar for Christ's sake.
>>
>>49700948
I may be in the minority but I like seeing how gods are statted.

But 3.x editions was autistic design at its worst.
>>
>>49700815
>A friend of his wants to play at his tale as a "Darth Maul" character (taking a complete shit in the beautiful basic party I designed for that table

kek, if there's one constant in tabletop it's that there will always be THAT ONE GUY

do you know the dude personally? because if you don't and he's coming in and wanting to play "darth maul" in a medieval fantasy game, he's frankly going to be a complete faggot, like 98% probability on that

anywho, maybe a bladelock with a two-handed staff that functions as two 1d6 weapons in dual wield. by that I mean he makes an attack with one end and then can bonus action attack with the other, give it str or dex mod doesn't matter.

or an eldritch knight. or a monk of some sort. Not exactly a tall order, what you're asking, my only concern is I've seen the "I wanna play (insert unfitting character)" kind of player a dozen times and they are either just normies who don't know shit about the game (which is fine) or the worst kind of aspergers you'll see in tabletop
>>
>>49700963
>I like seeing how gods are statted
As long as you put in a few rules/features that prevent Players from fucking with them until post-20th level.

Actually, on that note: Anyone ever add something like PF's Mythic Tiers to 5e?
>>
>>49700769
Thanks
>>
>>49700963
>>49700997
Gods shouldn't be killable (at least in the usual way). Their avatars and aspects are fair game, though.
>>
New Thread >>49701031

New Thread >>49701031

New Thread >>49701031
>>
>>49700997
>>49701016
I had been meaning to design some things around divinity, now this'll give me incentive.
I'm liking how monsters are designed in 5e, their design space gives the freedom of choice and flavorful mechanical abilities.

Something like having a deity's defenses only breacheable by successful divine rank checks (needing divinity or cosmic ranks to begin with) would ensure their invincibility.
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.