[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the recommended weapon when going camping?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 29

File: 732423423.png (1020KB, 2475x1649px) Image search: [Google]
732423423.png
1020KB, 2475x1649px
Especially in the US. I live in the northeast, so there's a lot of bears and pumas around here.
>>
>>>/k/
>>
>>722502
can of bearmace and situational awareness.
>>
>>722502
For bears? .357 mag or 10mm auto. A big can of bear mace is a good thing to have and it normally does the trick.

For pumas? Nigga you'll be dead before you even know what hit you.
>>
>>722532
If video games taught me anything, it's that catamounts are silent, fast, and always kill you in one hit
>>
>>722502
No weapon at all, your best defense against those animals is knowledge and good food safety, there were I believe less than 10 deaths total in the years 2000-2016 from bears. Don't be an idiot, bringing a weapon creates more danger than it is worth in the off chance something happens
>>
>>722502
>there's a lot of bears and pumas around here.
No there aren't.
>>
>>722502
>another scared retard with a gun innawoods
>>
File: sword.jpg (56KB, 650x518px) Image search: [Google]
sword.jpg
56KB, 650x518px
why don't you faggots take a sword?

Doesn't need ammunition, pakis and blacks are scared of it and police can't arrest me since i can say i'm a reenactor innawoods
>>
>>722614
Because I already have a lot of guns and I practice shooting them regularly so I'm fairly proficient and confident when using them. I don't own a single sword nor do I have any idea how to properly use one to defend my life. I mean I know that the sharp pointy end goes into my attacker but I'm sure it's a little more complicated than that in reality.
>>
I've lived in Washington, Montana, Minnesota, and Michigan. People who try to defend themselves with hand guns always get fucked up sooner or later. Bear spray is far more effective than any hand gun. Also bring a dog. Wolves and Bears co-exist at the top of the food chain in most parts of North America. You will very rarely see a report of a bear attacking a domestic dog. Shooting a charging bear with even a .44 Mag would do nothing but piss it off and kill you before it dies. As for big cats, they will stalk you but I've never had one attack me. If they get too close, then use the bear spray. I would consider a well trained dog if you have one because a big cat can easily rip a dog to shreds. It should know better to not chase after a cat.
>>
>>722629
>Shooting a charging bear with even a .44 Mag would do nothing but piss it off and kill you before it dies.

This is why shot placement is important. If you make a good shot in the head with a magnum caliber handgun then it will drop. If you hit the bear in the shoulder joint it will cripple that arm and will take a bit for the bear to recover and resume the charge. If you're just hitting it center of mass then yeah, you're probably gonna get mauled.

It is gonna be a lot easier to hit a bear in the head/face using a big can of bear spray than it will be to make a headshot using a pistol. I'd probably trust the bear spray over a pistol for myself but I'd choose a lever action .45-70 with hot hand loads over either of them if a bear was charging at me.
>>
>>722695

Even my .44 Mag would just bounce off it's skull. You've never encountered many bears have you?
>>
>>722704
People hunt bears with .44 magnum handguns anon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfsNNYfD-88

Yeah, it sure looks like the bullet just bounced right off that bear's skull huh?
>>
>>722704

It has nothing to do with the caliber. It has to do with the bullet. Most modern hunting ammo made these days "mushroom" on impact. That is why they slide off of the bear's thick skull, not because they aren't powerful enough. You want a non expanding flat nosed bullet for your handgun if it's purpose is bear defense or any other large game. There are more Moose attacks in North America than bear attacks.

As for a rifle caliber, it doesn't really matter because most modern rifles shoot at high enough velocities to penetrate whether it mushrooms or not. For shotguns, you would want a flat slug, not a round one.

With all that said, bear spray is still the choice the go. Because the odds of shooting a charging bear in the skull or shoulder blade is very rare. People don't recognize that your state of mind is entirely different when a 1,500 predator is charging at you compared to shooting paper targets at a range.
>>
>>722552
>bringing a weapon creates more danger than it is worth in the off chance something happens
How does that even make sense? How does carrying a firearm make anything MORE dangerous?

I've encountered enough vagrants and methheads to know only fools go unarmed
>>
>>722733

>only fools go unarmed

Well I guess everyone's a fool but you. Where the hell do you hike that you encounter meth heads on a regular basis?
>>
>>722737
>everyone's a fool
I never go out without pepper spray, ya know, dogs & owners. 1 in 20 dogs will bite somebody. Id bet 75-90% of those are off leash.
>>
There are no pumas in the NE US, idiot.

Only paranoid pussies like yourself bring guns hiking or camping.

Black bears aren't a threat either.
>>
Shotgun. Takes a lot of different ammo which gives it flexibility.
>>
>how does a gun make things more dangerous?

By discharging metal projectiles at a high enough velocity to pierce flesh and bone.

Secondarily they can also make things more dangerous by giving the weilder a false sense of security.

For the record I don't object to people carrying guns when /out/ and even do it myself sometimes. But a gun is not an "I win" button against nature or man.

What keeps you safe /out/ there is preparation and awareness.
>>
>>722502
The answer is shotgun with slugs but a glock 29 or 20 would work
>>
While I respect your right to carry a firearm, the truth is that bear spray is objectively the best thing after not being retarded to deal with bears. It's also lighter and cheaper than any firearm that would stop a bear with any degree of reliability.
>>
>>722749

The discussion is about firearms. I don't think anyone would consider a person with pepper spray to be armed except for a cop trying to be a dick.
>>
>>722766
Paranoia is something that tends to happen when you've actually been charged/stalked by these animals
>>
>>722708
Man, this was pretty fucking horrific. I'm not squeamish about animals getting killed, have dispatched plenty myself (either for food or a coup de grace), but i find the desire to do stuff like this pretty fucking bizarre.

A curious, intelligent creature. One that is no good to eat. Bang. Then that slow terrifying death. Holy shit. I'm ashamed to say this had a greater affect on me than rekt threads on /gif/
>>
File: 65033f_5128951.jpg (79KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
65033f_5128951.jpg
79KB, 1000x700px
>>722797
Puma? Pretty sure what you saw was a skinwalker. Please leave the guns at home. Nothing is going to hurt you in the forest.
>>
>>722804
It really didn't take it too long to die but those sad, agonizing sounds it was making hit me in the feels too man. I probably would've gone for another shot to finish it off but really, it was probably unconscious in under a minute and dead by about a minute and a half after the shot.
>>
>>722804
>>722812
Also, I thought bear meat was supposed to be pretty good tasting. I can't see killing an animal like that just for a bear skin rug but I'd do it if I got a freezer full of good meat out of it.
>>
>>722695
you tryin to tell me that a bear charging at around 30 mph give or take is not gonna make you fuck up shot placement and that holding a piece is going to make you cool as a cucumber? nigga, you gonna die.
>>
>>722825
So bring a .308 semi auto battle rifle
>enough stopping power
>mag dump the son of a bitch and your shot placement is fucking good enough because you made swiss cheese out of it
>>
>>722831
>just bring a 10lb rifle on a backpacking trip!

You're fucking dumb. Spray and a bit of good sense will do you more good than a rifle without weighing you down.
>>
>>722831

ya sure just carry around a 20lb loaded M1A on the off chance a bear charges you, make sure you're always carrying it at low ready too so you don't have to fumble around with a sling. Nobody will think you look like a crazy kook. Makes much more sense than carrying a half pound can of bear spray.
>>
>>722838

also say goodbye to your hearing if you ever use it.
>>
Does anyone recommend a slingshot?
Perhaps to kill rabbits/squirrels for food.
>>
>>722845
You'd have to check your state hunting laws to see if it's even legal. Here in TX squirrel are considered a "game animal" and can only be taken during squirrel season and you can only kill a certain number per day. Also, using any sort of trap or snare to catch a game animal is illegal here so you can't even use snares for them. On the other hand, rabbits are considered a "fur bearing animal" and are legal to shoot and trap year round here with no limit on the amount of rabbits you can kill or possess. If I was going to use a slingshot to hunt either of them then I'd also be required to purchase a hunting license.
>>
>>722816
Bear doesn't actually taste that good.
>>
>>722850
alright.. I guess I'll never be going bear hunting then.
>>
>>722502
10mm
>>
>>722833
>>722838
I don't live in bear country. But I would carry a rifle if I did. If you're in the bears goddamn territory you might not afford the luxury of hiking ultralight.
>>
Figure that you'll never use it

So, a snubby .357/.44 mag in a holster should do you for everything (with your knife on the opposite side in its sheathe).
>>
>>722502
500 magnum? or maybe the s&w governor? ar15 with penetrator rounds
>>
>>722910
500 mag is terrible for defense, the recoil is just too much to make accurate follow-up shots.
>>
File: Totallynotapython.jpg (54KB, 1312x738px) Image search: [Google]
Totallynotapython.jpg
54KB, 1312x738px
I carry this in a hip holster while fucking off dozens of miles deep innawoods. Coming across a black bear in the spring fresh out of hibernation being pissy fuckers is no fun and had enough bad encounters with cougars while unarmed to make it a requirement.
>>722892
>snub-nose
>innawoods
But that's wrong, you fucking retard.
>>
>>722502
in europe we use boar spear
>>
File: oxford comma.jpg (120KB, 572x617px) Image search: [Google]
oxford comma.jpg
120KB, 572x617px
>>722502
>pumas

bringing a weapon camping, other than bear spray, isn't just stupid, it's also sort of opposite the whole camping vibe.

and unless you somehow surprise it, you're not going to meet a puma you can do anything about.
if they want to sneak up on you, you'll never know.
bear spray for bears, but
>>
File: a-eee.jpg (5KB, 194x180px) Image search: [Google]
a-eee.jpg
5KB, 194x180px
>>722733
>I've encountered enough vagrants and methheads to know only fools go unarmed

mfw maybe you need to work on your campsite choice skills, then.

protip: don't camp next to billboards, addiction clinics, or railroad tracks
>>
Don't think you've got Excalibur

A cougar will only really attack when you're an easy target, and by the time it does, you'll probably be dead or injured before getting a shot off

A person out to hunt YOU has the advantage, and all that person has to do is wait for you to walk past and pop you in the back

Not to mention the biggest threat in da woods is YOU, meaning you get lost or hurt yourself with a fall, and you die

You really don't need a pistol or any proper weapon unless you're hunting, as you'll never need it in da woods and it'll just take up room where you can carry an extra liter of water, which will have a far more likely chance of saving you.
>>
>>722933

A cloud of spray is a much better defense against cougars than a gun. They're ambush predators so they wont attack until you're close, and by the time you notice them you wont have any time at all to draw and aim a shot.
>>
>>722838
An M1A is a bad option desu senpai.
Go with an ultralight bolt gun or go with something handy like a FAL or AR10 carbine.
A rifle should be carried. If you can't hoof a 10lb rifle what the fuck are you doing hiking in the first place, and if it can't be carried than at least a 10mm handgun with a good load.
Bear spray should always be carried and ready to go at all times.

There are other threats in bear country besides bears
>>
>>722841
>also say goodbye to your hearing if you ever use it.
No one who expects to actually use their gun outside of the range or a controlled hunt should be using a muzzle break in the first place.

Also see: People in combat situations. Hearing damage is real, but you are blowing it out of proportion.
>>
>>723124

What do you plan to do with the rifle unless you're hunting?

Serious question.

You'd be better served with an equal amount of water in weight if you say "defense".
>>
>>723127
Fight my way out of a backwater marijuana plot, ; taking out wolves/yotes/mountain lion, fighting off any potential skinwalkers with suppressive fire, plus the opportunity it provides to shoot my own meal in case something fucking goes south
>>
>>723127
Also:
You'd be better served with an equal amount of water in weight if you say "defense".
What you don't carry a means to purify water?
>>
>>722503
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>722502
A single stack 9mm. We aren't hunting these threats, just protecting ourself from them.
>>
>>723129

>fighting off non-existent threats

Have fun with that

>water purification

Yes, but getting lost/disorientated and having no water source around is an actual threat to your life that you should be worried about, rather than animals or humans

A magnum pistol is more than enough for hunting deer/small game if you run out of food/want to eat something fresh over the fire, and you don't have something weighing you down.

A slung rifle is a bitch, which will increase your chance of falling over and hurting yourself (a real threat).

A rifle is of no use against a cougar unless you're hunting them; it'll kill you before you even knew it was there if it's after you.

Wild dogs will probably still kill you if you take out a couple before the rest get on you.

These things are incredibly rare compared to getting lost and dying of dehydration, and you won't save yourself from them with the rifle anyway if they actually want to kill you.
>>
>>723141
>>fighting off non-existent threats
>Implying marijuana plots and backwoods cartelio armed growers aren't a thing I don't purposefully go looking out for.
>Implying cops care you waxed illegal undocumented cartel shits at a grow op once you document they had a weapon amongst them and acted in self defense when you mag dumped 5x mags at them when they sent a warning shot your way.
>Implying I don't smoke some of dat shit

It's like you totally ignore the fact that there are ways to legally hunt the most dangerous game of them all and get high as fuck after the fact.
>>
>>723141
http://archives.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005143747#.VvdmNkdGPhg

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/drug-cartels-are-growing-tons-of-weed-inside-the-us

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2009/07/30/30greenwire-cartels-turn-us-forests-into-marijuana-plantat-41908.html?pagewanted=all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-6LQEMlwCA
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (172KB, 1221x538px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
172KB, 1221x538px
>>723141

dude don't bother, anyone who thinks it's a good idea to carry around a battle rifle on a hike isn't worth arguing with. They're either teenagers who want an excuse to play army in the woods or paranoid morons from /k/ whose greatest outdoor adventures consist of fucking around in the trees behind their house. I mean are you reading these stupid little fantasies they're writing? These people think it's a good idea to just walk into an illegal marijuana farm while carrying a rifle in their hands instead of just turning around and leaving it alone. They think they could actually shoot a mountain lion as it was leaping on them, and that a gun is preferable to carrying bear spray. They're deluded.

>>722502

Colt Woodsman for plinking and possibly getting some small game.
>>
>>722733
>vagrants and methheads
they camp really close to civilization (cities, towns), just camp a bit further /out/ than the outskirts of a city
>>
>>722502
Go to /k/, but expect caliber wars. /k/ used to be my homeboard and I have no idea why I just clicked on /out/ for the first time, never even been here before. Even though I don't know much about /out/, I know one thing. If you have basic firearm safety, there is literally no reason to ever not carry innawoods. I'm not talking about campsites, but actual innawoods camping.

A firearm is the best way to protect yourself in unexpected, life-threatening situations, whatever the threat may be. Just by reading this thread I realize that /out/ has a lot of hippies who think you can prepare for everything and nothing can go wrong if you are competent. They seem like the kind of people that are totally unafraid of nature and are one with it, so nothing bad could ever happen. If you can carry, do it. A gun isn't going to magically hurt you by itself.

And to anyone who wants to flame me with any sickgnarly greentext, don't bother because I've already left the thread by the time you have read this.
>>
>>722804
I did not like watching it either bro.
Black bears are harmless and even cute
>>
>>723119
That's nice. No.
>>
>>722766
Where in the northeast? They're barely starting to make a comeback in these areas and the only cougars that are signed in these areas are through passers to larger areas in ME or further. Even still, cougar sightings past even PA is really rare.
>>
>>722552
This, only edgy rich bois carry guns to have this sense of protection
>>
>>723138
>>>/pol/
>>
>>722997
>protip: don't camp next to billboards, addiction clinics, or railroad tracks

kek
>>
>>722502
I'm wondering something similar: How would 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 380 ACP work if fired from a handgun or a carbine for the puroses of camp defense and hunting? I'm thinking of buying both from Hi-Point, both primarily for camp defense ( fire at a huge bear, a mountain lion, etc. that attacks my camp ) but am wondering if any of the above-mentioned calibers would be enough to protect myself. I'm also wondering how they would work hunting ( I've never been hunting ) and would appreciate some feedback.
>>
>>725134
/k/ommando reporting. Those cartridges are fine for defense but rather poor for hunting. The smaller handgun rounds don't gain much from a longer barrel the way, say, .357 mag would; they're basically meant for point defense. Of them, .40 and .45 would be the only ones close to what you're looking for, though still unideal.

Hi-Point is a hair more accurate and reliable than its reputation would have you believe, but they're still sub-par handguns. If you must go Hi-Point, the carbine is actually pretty solid.

Really, I'd recommend a little Trail Carbine, like a Rossi in .38/.357. Not as keyed for two-legged defense but much more suitable for critter work, and in .357 you have reasonable defense against even fairly large animals. They're also cheap at $400-$450.
>>
File: shot_placement.jpg (322KB, 800x1017px) Image search: [Google]
shot_placement.jpg
322KB, 800x1017px
>>725134
>a huge bear, a mountain lion, etc. that attacks my camp
If a huge bear charges you pepper spray is better than trying to land a kill shot on a mostly bulletproof fast-moving target.

If a mountain lion is after you, you won't even see it coming.
>>
If you're European or from new England/California your opinion isn't worth shit. Shut up about things you know nothing about.

For bears the smallest you go is hot 44 specials.
>>
>>722502
If you feel like there is a possibility if you running into a large predator, the best weapon is one you can shoot the best under stress. If your just going to be carrying a pistol, then I suggest, if you have it available, a big bore like .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 acp, or 10mm auto. If you have the option, obviously carry a rifle or shotgun. Animals aren't the only predators out there, bad people in the woods are a thing, and they don't always come alone, so don't buy into this, "no weapon, bear mace, lmao wuss carries a gun" crud. And of course, as others have said, looking for signs of predators and knowing proper storage of food is important as well
>>
>>722845
So long as your a decent a shot, and your allowed to in your state, they will be good. Quiet for the most part, small, light, can use small pebbles and rocks right off the ground, and won't damage the meat as bad as a bullet would.
>>
>>725399
>mostly bulletproof
what a meme
>muh bulletproof skulls

It's a living breathing animal of flesh and bone with internal organs that will shut down if it gets perforated by hot lead.
>>
>>724190
>>>/out/
Oh, wait.
>>722575
Yes, there are.
>>
Wits.
>>
File: cougar-range-map-us-990-NEW[1].jpg (177KB, 990x727px) Image search: [Google]
cougar-range-map-us-990-NEW[1].jpg
177KB, 990x727px
>>725885

>yes there are

wow six whole sightings over 23 years and 0 attacks. Better wear a suit of armor next time you go outside.

>>725588

they're not bulletproof but the chances of scoring an instantly fatal hit in the 3 seconds or so you have before it closes distance aren't ideal. Spray is proven to be more effective than bullets in the vast majority of bear incidents. Spray also deescalates the situation if the bear's just curious while a gunshot might cause the animal to fight for its life.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1899301/shoot-or-spray-best-way-stop-charging-bear
>>
>>726026
That is ALOT more than six, you need to get a vision check.
>>
>>726038
In the NE
>>
>>726045
Wait, those are cougar sightings.
>>
>>722502
You need to bring a fifty cal with you. If a shot just passes within five feet of a bears head, the hydrostatic shock will turn it's head into pulp.
>>
>>722532
>10mm auto
>Not 11mm semi

You suicidal?
>>
>>722804
>>722816
>>722850
>>722851
Shut your whore mouth, bear meat is delicious, especially black bear. It's bleeding heart hippies like you that got the Ontario spring bear hunt canceled, despite the province's best ecologists saying it would be beneficial to keep the hunt.

Black bears are also not totally harmless. It's much bigger than you, and if it decides to kill you then neither yelling nor spray will stop it. Spray really just deters curious or irritated bears, fuck what you heard. I'm not really afraid of black bears because they're not overly aggressive by nature, but they must be given respect in accordance with their size and strength.

In many parts of Canada we have grizzly and polar bears, which are both known to hunt humans when given the opportunity. This is why trappers and prospectors in the north carry large pistols. These people live and work out there, while you sit on an imageboard posting about how harmless bears are and nobody needs a pistol ever.
>he din du nuffin
>he wuz a gud bear
>>
>>722502
a 4 inch .357 magnum has served me well.
>>
>>726651
This right here. I'm from northern Wisconsin and I've never understood why people don't care about bears. I talk to people who go backpacking in northern canada and in the rockies without a gun or spray. They just say "Oh come on! Bear/mountain lion attacks never happen! you need to just be aware of your surroundings".

In my opinion, you've gotta be pretty naive to believe that. Even up here in Wisconsin, I know people who have been attacked wolves/bears, and a pistol was the thing that saved their lives.
>>
>>722502
depends on your state and your state's laws regarding having a firearm with you.
>>
>>722749
Are you the guy from the dog mace threads?
>>
>>727740
fucking precious snowflake owners. in 2 miles the other day fucking 27 of those off leash barking shit machines. I'm gonna go full retard on those fuckers.
>>
>>722502

Brain.

Brain is most important camping weapon.

All others extend the reach and leverage of brain.
>>
>>722708
>lure bear with pile of shit
>shoot it so you can feel like a big man

Bear hunters are the fucking worst. At least deer and small game hunters go after animals that already live their entire lives in a state of alert fear.
>>
>>722502
For bears you need something that can crack the skull and cause cerebral hemorrhaging, so probably a large caliber(357 or 44 will work probably, 50 AE is a meme) pistol, a shotgun with slugs, or a large caliber(most standard hunting rifle calibers, really) rifle if you really want.

Ignore the idiots in this thread who claim that large carnivores are either harmless or deterred by pepper spray when angry/hungry. If you see something big running at you shoot and do not stop shooting until it is still.
>>
>>723185
>there is literally no reason to ever not carry innawoods
Weight you dumb faggot

Go back to faffing about in the woods and building a shelter out of sticks 1/4 mile behind your house. Some of us actually hike.
>>
>>728743
A pistol and a knife are hardly some sort of impossible burden to carry on a hike you dumb faggot. Go back to munching on granola while thinking bears, cougars and coyote-wolves are harmless and cuddly critters.
>>
File: 1452244311846.png (17KB, 602x576px) Image search: [Google]
1452244311846.png
17KB, 602x576px
What a fucken poofta cunt

Use your axe
>>
File: 1456716780456.png (67KB, 331x304px) Image search: [Google]
1456716780456.png
67KB, 331x304px
>>728752
>Implying those animals combined kill anything more than 20 people a decade out of literal millions of hikers
>implying you can't avoid negative encounters with them by not being a complete retard
>implying most lightweight firearms are gonna do jackshit against a bear you didn't see coming far enough to avoid
>implying you aren't more likely to be killed because you forwent survival equipment that's actually necessary so you could roleplay STALKER with your gun
>>
>>728752
Go back to not carrying enough water or clothing because you were more scared of da evil bears than real threats
>>
File: legionary.jpg (37KB, 430x340px) Image search: [Google]
legionary.jpg
37KB, 430x340px
>>722502
I never go anywhere without two Pilums. One heavy and one light. Throw the heavy to disrupt the attacker, if I have more time, I throw the lighter one before going in to hand-to-hand combat with my trusted Gladius.

I've encountered enough Celts and Iberians to know only fools go unarmed.
>>
>>728759
>>722502
>Using firesticks to ward off incoming threats
>>
File: trekking-poles.jpg (137KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
trekking-poles.jpg
137KB, 1500x1500px
>>722502
These will work on pumas, bears, migrants, unruly hikers, hipsters, hobos, and off-leash dogs.
Possibly the greatest /out/ approved weapon of the 21st century. You can thank me later.
>>
>>722708
Baiting is only acceptable for fish.
>>
>>725565
This and only this. At least one person in this thread actually lives in the real world and goes out. You could cut the stupidity in this thread with a dull mora.
>>
>>726026
What if I made a device that is both a spray can and a firearm? Hot peppered lead?
>>
>>722534
Subtle RDR reference
>>
File: archery-black-bear-hunting.jpg (35KB, 300x239px) Image search: [Google]
archery-black-bear-hunting.jpg
35KB, 300x239px
You guys do realize that bears arn't these invincible creatures that will just eat bullets right, I mean fuckers hunt bear with bow and arrow for god's sake
>>
North East I would say get yourself a nice magnum caliber revolver or a 45 caliber automatic pistol. If you ever go somewhere with some bigger more dangerous animals, say Montana, consider getting a large caliber rifle or shotgun with some slugs.
>>
File: 1024px-Pike_square_img_3653.jpg (209KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Pike_square_img_3653.jpg
209KB, 1024x683px
>2016
>not wearing a Polearm and Cuirass everywhere you go

do you enjoy being victimized?
>>
>>722552
While I can't completely agree with the mentality behind this I do feel awareness and knowledge are best.

>>722532
I've been told these two calibers work well along with .44 magnum and i'm curious if .45 does as well. Some rifles ( like Henry ) are pretty light weight and actually chambered for these calibers so you can basically get the power of these handgun cartridges without the recoil from a light-weight, accurate rifle.
>>
I have pepper sprayed 12 unleashed dogs and 7 pissed off owners!

...and counting.
>>
>>731908

That's neither normal nor something to be proud of. That's like one of those things that paranoid people brag because it makes them feel tough.

Seek treatment for your severe Cynophobia so you quit panicking whenever a labrador wags its tail at you.
>>
>>723127
I'm always amazed at how weak the majority of people are 'your bringing a rifle!? but how can you carry 10 lbs around!?'. 10lbs should not be a big deal for an adult shit in the army you lug around a ton of weight for miles. A rifle can be for fun, defense and a way to get food if you really need to.
>>
File: WhoCaresShutUp.jpg (20KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
WhoCaresShutUp.jpg
20KB, 480x270px
>>731917
>>
>>731917
Actually, it's a lot of fun!

This one bitch was so worked up I sprayed her dog she was practically ready to hyperventilate!

She came at me yelling and I sprayed her right in her open mouth as she ihaled.

She got it so bad she started puking down on all fours!

I just left her there and went on my way.

Start using your spray and you will get good at it!
>>
>>722766
>Only paranoid pussies like yourself bring guns hiking or camping.
depends on your wilderness to nignog ratio
....unless you like leaving things to 'chance'.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1945x2783px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1945x2783px
Anything less and you're asking to get killed.
>>
File: 1443459063998.jpg (21KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1443459063998.jpg
21KB, 576x432px
>>732570

nice masturbatory fantasy. I'm sure the cops waiting for you at the ends of the trail would've believed everything you said and just let you go because you seemed like such a sane and rational person.
>>
>>732605
I've never even seen cops on any of my trails.

Have you ever even used pepper spray?
>>
I see a lot of anti-gun bias on this thread. I wish I could agree, but the reality of the situation is different.
You could omit this from what you carry, but what if you need it? I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Just like with filtering your water…most times you will be able to drink freely without treating, but what about that one time?
Great experiences favor those that are prepared.
>>
>>722857
This. I don't have the personal experience to back it up, but 10mm is the most I want to mag dump in something and the least I would trust my life with in the great state of Oregon. The personal experience I trust says a 10mm glock is the best gun for innawoods. I dont like glock but I like rutting elk even less.
>>
>>732608

If a jogger calls 911 to report that she's been assaulted by some weirdo in the woods you can bet your ass there will be cops waiting for you at the ends of the trail to take statements or make an arrest.

Yes I have used pepperspray. I used it on a loose German shepherd in my neighborhood that snuck up and attacked my dog while we were on a walk.
>>
>>731908
I thought I was the only one that did this. At least we're better than the dude that carries a lock on a chain.

To the others that rsponded, it is legal in my state. The dog owner will be arrested, the dog will be taken by animal control and I have gone home to dinner every time with no repercussions.
>>
>>726262
10mm comes in a glock and glock mags are cheap as shit. Gotta love the Honda civic of guns. Hell it comes in at least a 20 round.
>>
>>732616
>I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
such a dumb mindset
go back to thinkgeek
>>
>>732624
I've never assulted anybody.

I have defended myself from bodily harm from them and thier loose mongrels.

You sure do project a lot.
>>
File: ruger_american_pistol.png (659KB, 1903x621px) Image search: [Google]
ruger_american_pistol.png
659KB, 1903x621px
Heya sc/out/s,

I'm a poorfag looking at getting my first two firearms: a hunting rifle for hunting mid-large sized game ( mostly boar and deer ) and a handgun to carry with me on camping trips. How screwed would I be if I bought the Ruger American, chambered for either 30-06 or .308 with Vortex Crossfire II scope and the Ruger American pistol, chambered in .9mm or .45 auto with no extras? Pic related.
>>
>>732667
I should also mention buying both of these will cost me about $1050 and my budget ( without ammo ) is at 1k.
>>
>>732667
Why the boner for Ruger?

Best budget hunting rifle is probably a Savage.

Best budget plastic fantastic that I would recommend is a $400 FNS-9. You can find them for that cheap if you look hard enough. May be slightly out of your price range. I haven't heard much about the American pistols. They're fairly new though, and it's risky to be an early adopter.
>>
>>732616
>I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Why not carry an extra gallon of water then?
More warm clothing?
More food?
Satellite phone?
These things are all much more likely to save your life than a gun.
>>
>>732657

>I've never assulted anybody. I have defended myself from bodily harm

>>732570

>She came at me yelling and I sprayed her right in her open mouth as she ihaled

Pepper spraying someone for yelling at you is not defending yourself from bodily harm in any jurisdiction, and the cops would only have her hysteric phone call to go off of so they'd at the very least show up to take statements because a man pepper spraying women on trails is potentially a danger to the public.
>>
>>732675
It isn't that I support Ruger or like Ruger but I like the fact the rifle comes with the scope. It is true the handgun is new to market but I've heard decent things with the only big drawback being consistent firing will cause the pistol to dig into ( and if your hands are huge cut into ) your skin. With that said it seems like it is more reliable than most firearms in my price range ( hi-point ) and in spite of looking I've not found any other handgun in my pricerange that seems to be as consistent as the Ruger. If you have recommendations I'm all ears; let me know!
>>
>>732676
You could make the same argument about ammo. Why not carry more ammo? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Answer: because you have a limited amount of weight you can carry and only you can assign relative values to the different items you wish to bring that can save your life. It's called having personal responsibility and making decisions that you believe will make you best suited for survival. Don't micromanage other people's lives.

Not the person you replied to.
>>
>>732667
The rifle is up to you, there are plent of things on the used market or quality milsurp. (Seriously though, get whatever milsurp is the least respected right now without being obvious shit).

For a handgun, there are better options than ruger for the price. I'd go with a Bulgarian surplus makarov as it's adequate, cheap to shoot, and is a good size for ccw starting out and overall. Also 300 dollars and all you have to do is scrub off the cosmoline. If you want more rounds, get a glock or something like it or get fucked. Cheap guns are cheap for a reason unless the reason is communism and an 8 round capacity.
>>
File: IMG_20160308_122444.jpg (2MB, 3600x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160308_122444.jpg
2MB, 3600x2160px
>>732675
FNH is technically American. Made in South Carolina with an office up next to Washington for lobbying purposes at least. The fns is a fucking awesome gun. Not too hot on the safety and want something smaller because my pants are tight and my shirts thin, but the 9 or 9c would be perfect. Get the night sights though.
>>
File: flaregun3[1].jpg (95KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
flaregun3[1].jpg
95KB, 450x450px
>>722502

This gun is more likely to save your life than anything else posted ITT
>>
>>732679
Come at me.
>>
>>732699
What I mean is that the factory is well trained and on a wholly different level from most. We can finally match euro quality again outside of s&w and Springfield.
>>
>>732705
you got that right boyfran

https://youtu.be/uR_fpfwjuMQ
>>
>>732679
>only have her hysteric phone call
or the video of her charging at me in rage prior to my unloading the spray. It's amazing how powerful a video is to show how a situation unfolded.
>>
>>722614
This guy has the right idea. I carry a Hewing spear innawoods, with an axe for utility/cqc.
>>
>>732732

That's nice, but you simply having a video of the act doesn't stop the cops from showing up to respond to her 911 call.

Feel free to post a link to that video btw
>>
>>732746
>doesn't stop the cops from showing up
Of course not but the second they see it everything changes. It's immediately "OK sir, sorry, you are free to go, uh ma'am, we need to talk about this further. Animal Control is on the way."
>>
>>732642
well thought out reply
>>
>>732642
>such a dumb mindset
...says the dainty bitch who singlehandedly keeps his local convenience store in business.
>>
>>731085
he thinks black bears are actually tough like brown bear

LOOK AT HIM AND LAUGH
>>
>>732599
nice set up fampai
>>
>>722614
>get arrested
>for a sword
Oh you poor yurocucks.
>>
>>722502
buy that cz and youre good
>>
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/2-described-as-dangerous-escape-from-washington-facility/ar-BBrtmg7?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCDHP
>>
>>722507

/thread

A bullet won't always stop a bear fast enough to stop it chewing you, and it's easy to panic and miss. Bear mace requires less accuracy and will stop a bear.
>>
>>733300
>will stop a bear.
damn...some of you guys are pathetic.
when you are /out/ most times you will be lucky if you see a bear.
>>
/out/ odd question, is it possible to kill a wild boar with a knife? Suppose it rushes you and you start stabbing the shit out of its lower regions.
Will that do anything? Any experience with that?
>>
File: usm1gb[1].jpg (43KB, 525x281px) Image search: [Google]
usm1gb[1].jpg
43KB, 525x281px
>>733510

Fraternity brother from Arkansas has done it before. He did it with a guide at night, they used a bloodhound to track it and a pack of pitbulls to bite onto it and hold it down while he jumped on its back and stabbed it repeatedly with an old bayonet.
>>
>>722502
>What is the recommended weapon when going hunting?

Fixed.
>>
>>733510
I'd bet on the boar 99 out of 100 times. Wild boar are nasty muthafuckers.
>>
File: 1458109969503.jpg (171KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
1458109969503.jpg
171KB, 500x628px
>>723165
You're missing the point. Battle rifles aren't that heavy, especially after you get used to carrying them. You carry a gun like you get insurance; you pray you never have to use it. And just as you should learn all the policies behind your insurance, you should learn how and when to use your gun.

For example: bears. As a lot of other people said in this thread that you should always be aware of your surroundings. If you are in a situation where you do encounter a bear and it's close enough to the point where you cannot back off, you mace that SOB. Bear mace, however, doesn't work 100% of the time, and thus that is where you then take out your weapon and shoot, which implies A: the bear mace has not fully stopped the bear and B: you can still draw your weapon, whether that is a battle rifle or a large-caliber handgun. But of course, every encounter is different. and depending on how far away it is, terrain, etc. what you do is up to your discretion. But generally, mace first, then shoot.

As for walking into an illegal marijuana farm, which to me sounds very unlikely, if you do find one, it is a pretty shit idea to walk in guns-a-blazing. But if you're caught, which is a definite possibility, chances are you probably aren't going to be able to just "walk away".

In conclusion, you aren't being delusional if you carry a gun with you. Just be trained and familiar with it so if you have to use it, you can use it effectively, and also bring bear mace because having both is good. If one doesn't work, switch to the other. That being said, learn to use your bear mace as well, although I will say it's much easier to learn how to use bear mace effectively than a gun.
>>
Marlin 1895GBL in 45-70 is to me the ultimate trail/hunting gun. For the people who don't think it will stop a charging bear please realize that 19th and 20th century hunters took massive buffalo out to 1000yrds using black powder loads and 405g lead bullets.

People use it to hunt tiger, lion, all sorts of shit bigger than your average black bear. I have no doubts it will stop anything charging at you in the continental US without a problem. Just keep a hot loads in when you're going through the woods and then switch to lighter loads when you're hunting shit like deer.

Hell, you can kill rabbit and squirrel with it to, just shoot next to them and the concussion will kill them, that's what the frontiersmen did.
>>
File: IMG_20151004_112152.jpg (972KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151004_112152.jpg
972KB, 2048x1536px
FN FAL or stay at home.
>>
>>726262
>11mm semi
>Not 20mm
>>
>>732642
Are you the guy who threw away the jack and spare tire in every used car on Craigslist?
>>
File: gustav_gun.jpg (86KB, 602x384px) Image search: [Google]
gustav_gun.jpg
86KB, 602x384px
>>733973
>20 mm
>Not 800 mm
>>
File: bear.jpg (65KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
65KB, 500x375px
>>722502

.44 magnum or greater
Maybe a minimum Colt 45 if you life in non-grizzly country.

Anyone else who says otherwise if an idiot and lying--so every in this thread basically
>>
>>733957
whats the revolver on the right?
>>
>>733233
um..a bear is a bear
>>
>>722503
first post best post
>>
>What is the recommended weapon when going camping?

>you mind mang
>compassion is the greatest weapon
>SKS
>understanding

disregarding bullshit, get a gun that fires bullets as fast, hard and quickly as possible for defensive purposes, hunting, now thats an entirely different matter
>>
>>722532
There's a video of a snowmobiler dropping a charging moose with 9mm.
>>
>>734459
Not him, but it's a Dan Wesson of some kind
>>
>>733535
So a bunch of pitbulls killed a wild boar and some faggot stabbed it after.
>>
>>722766
That is not true either. There are in fact mountain lions in the NE US. There have been several eyewitness and trail camera sightings to prove it. However, the government factions that be do not acknowledge the existance of them because there isn't a sustainable population of them.
>>
>>734447
>Anyone else who says otherwise if an idiot and lying--so every in this thread basically

Is this your first time typing?

I frequent /k/ and it's pretty much agreed that 6 shots of any round isn't as good as 10-20 of a "lesser" round. A (10mm) Glock 20 Gen 3 or Gen 4 is widely regarded as one of the best /out/ guns you can buy, period. Revolvers are impractical weapons compared to nearly every option available today.
>>
>>734880

If you think tracking down and stabbing a fighting animal with tusks is somehow worse than shooting a baited one with a rifle while camping from a tree stand I'd like to hear your reasoning.
>>
>>732670
damn that shit is horrible
>>
>>731878
.45 what? Acp? No I wouldn't trust 45 Acp for bears at all. For something like .45 lc it is a better choice but most loads are designed for the older revolvers so they are not as hot as they could be
>>
>>726651
I have nothing against hunting bears but I have heard from my grandfather that the meat while good is a bit stringy and that's why he doesn't hunt bears much anymore. As someone from Montana my usual anti bear gun is a 357 with some hot hand loads from my grandfather
>>
File: laughing whores.jpg (101KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
laughing whores.jpg
101KB, 500x644px
>>722502
>Puma in the north east
>>
>>733334
This
>>
>>733334
Yeah, a lot of places you likely won't see a bear. It's always good to have a plan to defend yourself from one should it come though.
>>
>>722933
>I like carrying a 3lb revolver instead of a 1.5lb revolver
>>722841
Yep all hunters that use 308 rifles or larger can't hear at all
>>728743
>waahhh ultralight hikers are the only real hikers! Waahhh
Glock 20 loaded weighs in at 40oz. That's 15 rounds of 10mm which people use to hunt bears glock 29 loaded is 33oz with 10 rounds of 10mm.
>>728760
>implying that people don't regularly hunt bears with handguns that weigh about 2 lbs loaded
>implying that people give up essential equipment because they are carrying an extra 2lbs.

Chances are slim as fuck you'll need a gun while /out/ even slimmer that you would need a gun that can stop a bear. I know this I also know it's very easy to avoid all bear encounters together by not being a retard. I'm not totally sold on bear spray is all you'll ever need but for most people it's more than adequate. But having both additional options and knowledge is always nice. Statistically not the same but for me it's like wearing a seatbelt chances are slim you'll need to because your a good driver and can avoid a lot of shitty situatiobs but just because you follow the rules and take the proper precautions doesn't mean you can avoid all situations. If there were as many hikers as car drivers I bet the numbers would be a lot closer too for bear/dangerous animal encounters.

I'm more worried about moose and rattlers out here.
>>
>>734858
That's not a 9 mm. It's a 10mm auto glock. BIG difference.
>>
Okay guys /k/ fag here. Black brats? Anything larger than a 9mm will be fine, just use lead soft point ammo. Grizzlies and other brown bear? Don't even think about messing with a handgun.
.357 is a joke.
.44 mag is still underpowered.
Hell I don't even recommend a set 500 .50 cal.
The only sure thing for brown bears is 12ga with magnum slugs or a toddler chambered in 30 06 or larger.
If you don't want to lug that around get bear spray. Handguns will put you in danger.
>>
>>722534
>>730864

GTAV and rdr pumas are probably from the same breed.
>>
>>736017
Reflex ear plugs allow all but loud sounds in, you are an idiot hunting with 30/calibre plus rifles does not and should not deafen anyone
>>
>>736103
You're not one of those oldfags who think rifles "direct" the sound away from you are you?
Do you people even know what sound is?
>>
>>736103
Anon that was sarcasm in response to the guy who said that a 308 rifle will blow out your ear drums more or less after you shoot at something which is bullshit yes I know about the electronic ear plugs look at who I was responding too. It's extremely dumb to not use hearing protection for anything larger than suppressed 22s
>>
>>736020
.454 Casull will work. Even out of a handgun it's just shy of 12 gauge slug ballistics and you can launch six of them quickly with one hand if necessary. Try that with a pump shotgun. Isn't brown bear a European breed about the size of a blackie? Griz and polar are the more threatening ones.

>toddler chambered in 30 06 or larger.
are you having a stroke?

I'd personally like to carry a .22 LR handgun in the bush for popping squirrels and rabbit, but my country is shit. Even if they'd let me carry in the bush, I would only be allowed to carry a bear defense gun and only when working a trap line.
>>
>>736139
.308 could very well blow out your eardrums if you fire it in an enclosed space with a short barrel. It's possible, but depends on circumstance.

Hunting with a .30 cal rifle will damage your hearing, but hunters don't shoot much so it's not considered a big issue. Suppressors are best for hunting.
>>
>>736161
>Hunting with a .30 cal rifle will damage your hearing
No
Going to the range with a 3030 will damage hearing
>>
>>736168
Anything over 140 decibels will damage your hearing from a 1 time event
Good suppressors on a .223 come in at about 140db
>>736161
Right but the circumstances the original anon posted was using a m1a to shoot a bear would blow out your ear drums. Which is damn near impossible in the circumstance your shooting a bear in self defense.
>>
>>736217
true enough. the thing is, in the unlikely event that you need to shoot a bear in defense, hearing damage is an acceptable tradeoff for keeping all of your appendages and your life.
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.