[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 51

File: Fantasy Vs sci-fi.jpg (869KB, 3456x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy Vs sci-fi.jpg
869KB, 3456x1944px
Fantasy Vs Sci-fi Edition.
>What Genre do you read more of (Sci-fi/ Fantasy)?
>What Genre has the Best Characterizations?
>What Genre has the most Imaginative or thought provoking Ideas?

>/SFFG/ Recommendations:
FANTASY
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous threads:
>>9939025
>>9930888
>>9925939
>>
>>>/LGBT/
>>>/pol/
Fuck off over there, if you wish to talk about shit that is answered or disputed by a simple "google" search.
>>
File: sffg.png (514KB, 688x1251px) Image search: [Google]
sffg.png
514KB, 688x1251px
>>9946439
>>
>>9946439
>>What Genre do you read more of (Sci-fi/ Fantasy)?
Science fantasy.
>>What Genre has the Best Characterizations?
Science fantasy.
>>What Genre has the most Imaginative or thought provoking Ideas?
Science fantasy.
>>
Reminder: The only female authors worth reading are dead.
>>
>>9946466
Every author on that image is a white fucking male including multiple conservative Christians and you think you have the right to complain about politics being pushed?
>>
>>9946485
Reminder: Cherryh has yet to be dead.
>>
File: wWbXrlk.png (172KB, 1206x2798px) Image search: [Google]
wWbXrlk.png
172KB, 1206x2798px
>>9946493
Why do you hate white men? Is being white a political statement? Would you be happier if they were all arabic muslims?
>>
>>9946493
gri is NOT white.
>>
>>9946493
Low quality bait but I see there are still idiots falling for it.
>>
>>9946493
>>>/tumblr/
Get the fuck out. This thread is for sffg and we don't care if you're a racist, we just want to talk about neat books so please leave your political autism at the door or fuck off.
>>
>>9946518
It wasn't a plural until the post after your post though.
>>
>>9946518

LMAO I tried to make that meme as impartial as possible but le epin troles still found a way
>>
>>9946527
Politispergs trigger me desu, couldn't help responding.
>>
>>9946547
No, Ursula Le Reddit is not one of the best, not even great. She's completely mediocre.
>>
>>9946547
Her body may be alive, but her spirit abandoned that walking corpse years ago.
>>
>>9946555
Sorry but even with trips you're still wrong.
>>
File: jo_walton_2920_day3.jpg (117KB, 1355x1600px) Image search: [Google]
jo_walton_2920_day3.jpg
117KB, 1355x1600px
>>9946547
*literally blocks your path, no way you can possible step around, over, or beneath without violating the laws of physics*
>>
>>9946466
>PKD
I feel personally attacked.
>>
File: crying.gif (866KB, 320x181px) Image search: [Google]
crying.gif
866KB, 320x181px
>>9946485
shit I was just about to post Colleen McCullough and then I saw that she's dead.
>>
File: YrXbtSE_d.jpg (12KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
YrXbtSE_d.jpg
12KB, 640x480px
>>9946580
She looks so much more joyful than Urusla Le Reddit. Cute even.
>>
>>9946605
Are you the same one person that tries to force all these super shitty memes on sffg?
>>
>>9946620
Nope.
>>
>>9946580
Eh, she writes extremely generic fantasy and alternative history settings that have been done to death. And I'm not really a fan of the anti-religious tone spread throughout her books but I'm not sure if it's her sheer incompetence or intended.
>>
So I've just read "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?" and is it bad that I like "Bladerunner" better? I know it's just loosely based on it but I feel like it's a better work altogether.
Specially what happens towards the end? He thought he could not kill her but then he could and has an empathy overload? Suddenly "becoming" mercer despite not having used an empathy box? The fuck happened there?
>>
>>9946650
>The fuck happened there?
PKD in a nutshell.
>>
>>9946640
>And I'm not really a fan of the anti-religious tone spread throughout her books but I'm not sure if it's her sheer incompetence or intended.
Look at the top of her head, anon.
>>
>>9946439
>What Genre do you read more of (Sci-fi/ Fantasy)?
Fantasy. I read very little sci-fi.
>What Genre has the Best Characterizations?
I don't really know much about sci-fi but it isn't hard to beat fantasy for characterization, it's not really the strongpoint of the genre.
>What Genre has the most Imaginative or thought provoking Ideas?
IDK, I only read fantasy.

These questions don't really take into account people who only really read one of the two genres, I don't know dick about science fiction so how could I make comparisons? Just talk out of my ass and pretend I know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>9946671
>Just talk out of my ass and pretend I know what I'm talking about?
Are you new here?
>>
File: thonking.png (6KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
thonking.png
6KB, 112x112px
guys these frozen samosa were really tasty and affordable.
>>
>>9946702
which were they? the ones in that come in like a big 24 pack are a good value, but i find they're kinda greasy, but the ones in the big red box stay crispy even in the microwave and they come with some good ass sauce too
>>
>>9946714
I'm not american so the chance that you know the brand is unlikely. But they were like 50 small pieces. you were supposed to deep fry them but I baked (some of) them with a light oil coating, so they weren't too greasy at all, but could have been more crisp. No sauce. I very much doubt they'd come out nice from a micro waving though. But damn, they were like 5-6 dollars and I'm definitely getting one or two meals out of them, and that's in a country with very expensive food.
I wonder if I should try deep frying some. Never really tried deep frying before and I wonder if I'll end up burning down my apartment.
>>
File: Just Report.png (223KB, 648x513px) Image search: [Google]
Just Report.png
223KB, 648x513px
Just Sage and Report them.
>>
>>9946748
*one or two more meals.
>>
>>9946750
but these samosas were FANTASticY.
>>
good fantasy about going from shitter to non-shitter? and I mean truly a shitter. I'm thinking something like blank slate, child, or hobo. Something like Stormlight doesn't count, Kaladin was already a god tier spearman at the outset of the books.
>>
why is it so dead.
>>
>>9946882
Because we're reading, stupid.
>>
File: confusedblackman.jpg (84KB, 671x524px) Image search: [Google]
confusedblackman.jpg
84KB, 671x524px
>>9946895
What, how are you supposed to read if no one is posting anything new?
>>
>>9946775
If you want some extreme examples of this you can find them in light novels, like going from a useless slime or spider to a demi-god.
>>
>>9946928
Yes but I also like my stories to have like just a teensy bit of pacing and acceptable level of quality.
>>
>>9946934
>pacing and acceptable level of quality
Well, you definitely aren't going to find that in light novels. Do you consider "Wheel of Time" to have acceptable pacing or quality? It becomes DBZ levels of retarded power escalation.
>>
Okay, I've read Frank Herbert, Gene Wolfe and Jack Vance and loved their works. Please recommend me a more obscure science fantasy author.
>>
>>9947016
Zelazny
>>
I've been looking for new genre fiction books to read. By "new", I mean released within the last decade. Unfortunately, I can't find anything good or even interesting. Seems like the death of modern literature isn't just a meme. Can anyone here prove me wrong?

So you have an idea of my tastes: I like low fantasy, intrigue, large-scale politics, anti-hero and villain protagonists, deep worldbuilding and lore; dislike conlangs, pure heroes, extremely derivative fantasy cultures, shoehorned diversity/SJW stuff, drawn-out action sequences.
>>
>>9947067
Malazan
>>
>>9946959
Does WoT start out with complete scrubbyness, or is it just from pretty good to even gooderness?
I don't really care about power escalation, never takes me out of a story. Doesn't even have to be power-related though, any type of incompetence to competence story is fine.
>>
>>9947030

Seconded
>>
>>9947067

Joe Abercrombie is right up your alley, start with The First Law trilogy, which is worth sticking to until the end.
>>
Found out I made a free trial on scribd in feburary and forgot about it. Been paying $9/month since then. My own fault for not checking my statements. Anyway I've got 9 book credits and 2 audiobook credits that I'm desperately looking to blow through so I can cancel my subscription.

What should I get? I don't really care if it's sff, but that's mostly what I read.
>>
>>9947122
Keys to the Kingdom starts out with an asthmatic powerless 13 year old who continually becomes more powerful/confident.
>>
I'm trying to find a book.

It was about a bunch of kids hanging out with these aliens called "Dancers" and emulating them which led to some fucked up shit and then it followed one of them later in life.

Been having a hell of a time finding it. Might be shit googling I dunno.
>>
>>9947171
What do you like?
>>
>>9947189
Figured I should've included a taste profile. My topshelf books are GRRM's ASOIAF, Joe Abercrombie's The First Law, and Glen Cook's The Black Company. Right now I'm reading through Sapkowski's Witcher series, I like it but it's got some serious flaws. I enjoyed Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.
>>
>>9946775
Speaking of Kaladin, I'm only on page 370ish of the first book and I felt a really hype moment which quickly fizzled out. So Idk if I'm slow and there were earlier hints aside from Syl and his supposed "luck" but when you get his first narrated bridge run as bridge leader, he starts to take notice of his spheres losing their light. And finally at the end of the chapter he gets his surge of strength to finish the run and notices his last sphere lost its light. I felt really hype that it was basically right in your face that he is a Surgebinder. I'm conflicted cause I feel like it was probably noticeable earlier and feel dumb or that it was meant to be saved for later reveal and now that reveal won't be as cool.
>>
File: 617505.jpg (68KB, 278x475px) Image search: [Google]
617505.jpg
68KB, 278x475px
>>9946775

This story starts with a stinky old drunk hobo stealing from a priest who provides him with shelter, clothes and food and things don't get much better from there.
>>
>>9947016
Matthew Stover
>>
File: 17693064.jpg (79KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
17693064.jpg
79KB, 311x475px
>>9947201

This book is phenomenal, the sequels less so.
>>
File: bakker neww.jpg (11KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
bakker neww.jpg
11KB, 250x375px
Have you finished the Unholy Consult yet /sffg/?
>>
>>9947206
So obscure I could not buy a reasonably priced copy of Blade of Tyshalle. All the other Acts of Caine books were in paperback and typically priced, but Blade was 40 dollars. So I got that one on Kindle. Eats at me every time I look at my shelves.
>>
>>9947208
Thanks. I'll check it out.
>>
>>9947180
>young adult
uh..
>>
>>9947203
don't worry. it's not really presented as a twist and the pacing doesn't rely on it, so it won't hinder your enjoyment to figure it out early/late
>>
>>9947208
next level trashy cover.
>>
>>9947241

Thats how you know its good anon
>>
What's your favorite historical fiction? Aside from Bernard Cornwell.
>>
File: gatesoffire_book.jpg (61KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
gatesoffire_book.jpg
61KB, 182x276px
>>9947251
>>
>>9947251
Masters of Rome.
>>
>>9947251
Aubrey-Maturin series.

Smokes Cornwell, and Forester too.
>>
Sup /sffg/
Im currently reading through ASOIAF but thinking about setting it to the side until the fat fuck finishes the series. In the meantime, I have been considering reading the Middle Earth series (Hobbit/LotR/Silmarillion), but recently I discovered the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and it looks very interesting. Has anyone here read it? Is it a good read?

>pic related
>>
File: GRRM will surely deliver.jpg (79KB, 468x480px) Image search: [Google]
GRRM will surely deliver.jpg
79KB, 468x480px
>>9947320
>>
>>9947316
>even volume 20 has 5000 reviews and 4.3 rating on goodreads

cant be right
>>
>>9947349
You're right -- book 20 is manifestly not as good as the earlier ones. But the series hits its stride at book three and stays strong until 17 or 18. That is, if you've bought in you will keep on loving them.

At some point they stop being really distinct books and becomes an extended serial, but it's always moving, characters living, ageing and dying. And in between, some moments more vivid to me than my own life.

If you like audio listen to Patrick Tull. Fan meetups used to bring him in to read. He knows the cadence, the accents and the jargon.
>>
>>9947251
Count of Monte Cristo. Basically *the* ultimate revenge novel.
Aubrey-Maturin.
P. T. Deutermann's WW2 stuff is good, especially Ghosts of Bungo Suido.
Highly recommend The Centurions and The Praetorians by Jean Lartéguy. Good reading if you want to understand Vietnam and so on. Pair 'em up with the film Battle of Algiers.

Also they're more pulp detective stories but I like the Billy Boyle series. Irish cop from Boston tries ends up doing detective stuff for his uncle Eisenhower during WWII.
>>
>>9947016
R.A. Lafferty. Read and comprehend his complete works and you will be the most patrician poster on /sffg/
>>
>>9945880
Yeah but gamers tend to be autistic or stupid so I tend to assume most people that played miss stuff like that and only notice him killing lots of stuff so see him as a generic badass with a gravelly voice.

>>9945901
Yeah I've played them and unfortunately interacted with the community a lot. Most people don't seem to have gotten it even when CDPR started doing a pretty good job presenting him. He's still more autistic and whiny in the books though, if only because games aren't a good place to demonstrate a main character's emotional retardation.
>>
What did everyone think of the new GoT episode?
>>
>>9947122
It starts out decent but incredibly generic with some good moments and turns to complete shit.
>>
>>9947067
>So you have an idea of my tastes: I like low fantasy, intrigue, large-scale politics, anti-hero and villain protagonists,
Prince of Nothing by R. Scott. Bakker.
>>
File: BKOq4z1Zxp-2.png (41KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
BKOq4z1Zxp-2.png
41KB, 300x250px
>>9947440
How come his stuff is so hard to find in print? I've read some of his stories and liked them a lot. I'd rather not read digital copies if I have a choice though but I suppose I have to in this case.
>>
>>9947320
You can't call yourself a fan of fantasy if you haven't read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>9947201
>Right now I'm reading through Sapkowski's Witcher series, I like it but it's got some serious flaws.
I wish I could read it in Polish. You can see spots where the translator is clearly struggling to render wit that just doesn't work out of its native language.
>>
>>9946485
Are people who never lived still dead?
>>
>>9947201
>Right now I'm reading through Sapkowski's Witcher series, I like it but it's got some serious flaws.
I wish I could read it in Polish. You can see spots where the translator is clearly struggling to render wit that just doesn't work out of its native language.

>>9947209
Yes. You better know where this is going Scott. And fuck you for how you killed Sorweel.
>>
>>9947320
>but thinking about setting it to the side until the fat fuck finishes the series.
So forever then.
>>
>>9946775
Night Angel trilogy
Rothfuss shit if you consider all his begging and shit
>>
>>9947473
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Well I'm a quest completionist. Got really tired of Geralt's constant "Fine" all the time.
Come one Geralt, say "ok" or "alright" once in a while.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>9947474
Really inconsistent.
Some scenes are 10/10 while others are dogshit.
Or maybe it's just Arya's a terrible actor, GOD THAT FUCKING SMUG FACE
And how Sansa and Arya now are bffs and there was no tension at all.
RIP best guy Littlefinger.

Euron greyjoy, Night King's massacre and Jaime are the only reasons to watch now. Some minor characters are interesting at least.
>>
File: ray t laffer.jpg (19KB, 219x320px) Image search: [Google]
ray t laffer.jpg
19KB, 219x320px
>>9947482
>tfw to intelligent to be reprinted
>>
>>9947497
>Euron greyjoy,
I refuse to believe it's possible to like show Euron if you've actually read the books. He's pure shit compared to the book version.
>>
>>9947507
>reading that pile of presupposed garbage
>>
>>9947507
Hasn't the show been far ahead of the books by now
>>
>>9947497
D&D pretty much raped TV!Littlefinger to death anyway, they didn't seem to know what to do with his character after they outpaced the book, so he either didn't do anything at all or came off like an idiot when one of his plans fell through.

Killing le twirly moustache man was for the best, though the set up for it throughout the season was retarded.
>>
>>9947513
You're watching a garbage show, why not?

>>9947515
They started making shit up even before they ran out of material so it depends on what you mean by "ahead". I doubt much of this resembles what the fat man intended but we'll probably never know now.
>>
>>9947525
>D&D pretty much raped TV!Littlefinger to death anyway
They didn't write so good
>>
>>9947507
Oh yes, the edgelord black magic practicing douche who kills and rapes his brothers for kicks.
>>
>>9947537
He didn't rape Aeron, that's just dumb readers lacking imagination. He did something worse that will likely never be specified and involved his dying brother Urri.

>reading a wiki to a book series you think is shit to better understand a show you think is shit but still watch
sad
>>
There's basically no reason to have Euron unless you also have Victarion and vice versa. Their interaction is what makes both characters.

>>9947537
>finger in le bum XDD
>>
>>9947251
Mason and Dixon
>>
>>9947557
>finger in le bum XDD
it somehow ended up in jamie's in that scene
>>
>>9947526
>You're watching a garbage show, why not?
Spending an hour every week looking at visual fantasy spectacle where 1/3 of the characters are interesting.
Is not comparable with spending 2 weeks reading the description of diarrhea.
>>
>>9947474
Fanfic tier.
>>
>>9947575
>Spending an hour every week looking at visual fantasy spectacle where 1/3 of the characters are interesting.
That's a really generous description of the show.

>Is not comparable with spending 2 weeks reading the description of diarrhea.
There's like two paragraphs of that in the entire series. You have been meme'd.
>>
>>9947474
CLEGAINEBOWL!!!!
>>
>>9947575
>where 1/3 of the characters are interesting.
>Game of Thrones
>>
>>9947579
Already called every other scene dogshit, while the others were enjoyable.

>There's like two paragraphs of that in the entire series. You have been meme'd.
He's still a mediocre "director of plot" and reading isn't my #1 hobby, so I'm very fastidious about what I read.
>>
>>9947590
Of all of the characters that is.
Like including Podric and Beric and F! Thoros.
>>
Fuck off /tv/ retards.
>>
>>9947598
That's not gonna stop me from laughing at you for watching a dogshit pulpy show that has dragged HBO into the gutter while acting like an above-average influential book series is far beneath you.
>>
>>9947601
>Of all of the characters that is.
>Like including Podric and Beric and F! Thoros.
>>
>>9947604
I ain't stopping once I start.
It was fine for the first 5 seasons, and the occasional scene tingles my fantasy passion.
Where on /sffg/ aren't we? I like dragons, knights and evil dark lords.
>>
And the thread goes to shit. Fuck off, you fa/tv/irgin faggots.
>>
>>9947615
>It was fine for the first 5 seasons
Season 5 was shit
>>
>>9947629
Fuck off /tv/
>>
>>9947477
I was referring to the characters growth, not the quality of the story.
>>
>>9947637
Children of Hurin DESU
It's exactly what you ask for.
Except within 300 pages.
The worthless teen/kid section is pretty short though. POV becomes god among men pretty fast.

10/10 story anyway.
>>
There is NOTHING fucking worse than finishing a book and not knowing what to read next.
>>
>>9947660
>not making a list of shit to read
>>
File: dinosaur-reading.gif (50KB, 498x564px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaur-reading.gif
50KB, 498x564px
>>9947660
I have the opposite problem, I have a huge backlog of books I want to read and I know precisely what I want to read next. The only issue is getting the time to read it all. I don't want to just skim them like that guy who reads like ten pages a second yet that next book is calling to me and the pile just grows.
>>
When does a fantasy novel need an index?
>>
File: 1485457777400.jpg (36KB, 356x348px) Image search: [Google]
1485457777400.jpg
36KB, 356x348px
>>9947675
>not making a compendium with at least 10 options after reading each book depending on the aftertaste it leaves
>>
>>9947660

How about buying a bunch of new shit instead of reading something in your increasingly huge to-read stack?
>>
>>9947685
When it has prequels.
>>
R+L=?
>>
>>9947702

Stine
>>
>>9947689
My stack is weird, I'm a kindlefag so it's literally: "everything that has ever been digitized" and I end up debating myself if I should read Silverthorn or Speaker for the Dead or something else entirely and by the end it's too late to read anything.
>>
>>9946439
Why is cyberpunk so shit in literature but so good on the big(and small) screen?
>>
>>9947711
Visual aesthetics.
>>
File: EmBC3M7P1h-10.png (23KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
EmBC3M7P1h-10.png
23KB, 300x250px
>>9947710
Well, that's digital for you. Limit yourself to dead trees and you'll stop being so indecisive.
>>
So I discovered while looking through my Wheel Of Times books, that I have first editions of books 7-12 and second edition of book 5. Is it worth it to just complete the collection of first editions?
>>
File: gaems.png (11KB, 186x122px) Image search: [Google]
gaems.png
11KB, 186x122px
>>9947724
I'm an indicisive fuck, this is how women must feel with shoes
>>
>>9947660
>not just grabbing from the pile at random
>>
>>9947637
>I was referring to the characters growth, not the quality of the story.
My post still applies.
>>
>tfw you get a half-chub whenever magic is referred to as sorcery instead
>>
Any good sci-fi, or better; Science fantasy, that takes place at the edge of time? Or end of universe/planet/sun.
Where the characters have to contend with assured nothingness?
NOT where the main theme is how to stop it.
>>
>>9948061
Sorcery is clearly superior to magic.
>>
File: pp.jpg (14KB, 251x331px) Image search: [Google]
pp.jpg
14KB, 251x331px
>>9948061
Magic is a banal word anyway, and sorcery isn't much better, when there are plenty of better and more specific words; necromancy, enchantment, legerdemain, demonology, malediction, divination, sortilege, glamor, etc etc.
>>
>>9947483
LOTR is boring, it is not a fun read and has no redeeming qualities apart from autistic indepth fictional languages
>>
>>9947330
A bear! A bear!
>>
>>9947702
Kaladin
>>
>>9948100
>glamor
>>
>>9948100
I much prefer saurcery myself.
>>
>>9947080
It does have some shoehorned SJW bullshit.
>>9947320
I'm reading the fourth book in the series right now, Deadhouse Gates. The series is fun to read for the most part and has a host of great characters like Icarium and Itkovian. Many people seem to think that the first book in the series, Gardens of the Moon, is pretty bad, but honestly I enjoyed that one too. I'd recommend the series, just keep in mind that it's a huge time investment, with 10 books in the main series and then like 12 side novels that you can read as well if you want.
>>
>>9947122
Goes from pretty good to really good then drops off in quality around book 8.
>>
>>9948104
>>
>>9948104
Go to bed, Moorcock. You're drunk.
>>
File: CqmoyXZW8AAAceJ.jpg (93KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
CqmoyXZW8AAAceJ.jpg
93KB, 500x667px
>>9946605
reminds me of this
>>
>>9948176
I would gladly take THAT bait
>>
>>9948084

The Night Land: >>9942671
Jack Vance's Dying Earth
Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique
>>
>>9948061
>tfw you practice only apotropaic thaumaturgy
>>
>>9948084
The first Dark Tower book, the Gunslinger. But that's it. Forget the rest of the series even exists.

>>9948106
fuck yeah butterbumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6mtBUKP3k
>>
>>9948187
Reminder that this is true and that ugly people usually have unpleasant personalities. Beautiful people being assholes is just a meme put forth by the ugly untermensch and supported by the prevailing slave morality of the day.
>>
>Next Rothfuss
>Next gorm

bets on which one gets released earlier?
>>
>>9948368
Rothfuss. ASOIAF fans will remain gormless.
>>
>>9948368
you mean Gormenghast? next Gormenghast.
>>
>>9948368
My bet is Brandon Sanderson will be hired to finish the works of both.
>>
>>9948469
>Gurm finally dies
>author announced to finish the series
>it's Bakker
>ADoS is a thousand pages of GRI and death spiraling down
>>
Any other Clarke novels with a heavy focus on society like Childhood's End?
>>
Since Moorcock explicitly said that other people can write Jerry Cornelius stories, and Cornelius is an aspect of the Eternal Champion, can I write stories about a new character and declare that character to be an incarnation of the Eternal Champion or would it be better to just kind of imply it?
>>
>>9948631
The Songs of Distant Earth

Against the Fall of Night as well possibly, but I personally think it's shallow and amateurish.
>>
>>9948366
Asshole Beautiful people are usually young because if we go by the model presented in the picture you develop into ugly by asshole behavior.
>>
hang on, i've started reading the shadow of the torturer but my copy ends with 'if you wish to continue with me on my journey then you may do so', someone please tell me that's not the ending

Maybe I rushed it but that seems like too abrupt an ending
>>
>>9948365
>The first Dark Tower book, the Gunslinger. But that's it. Forget the rest of the series even exists.
Are you being for really srs? Not him but I just started the second book and was looking forward to seeing what happens.

I feel like the first book was nothing but set up for future events with nothing actually happening yet.
>>
Reading Starship Troopers for the first time, first chapter was really engaging. Just trying to visualise the command structure of the mobile infantry.

The wiki has a bit of info but it doesn't really help. I'm fairly positive that it references sections, as well as the usual squads, numerous times in the first chapter.

Are they both referencing the same unit, as I believe in modern armies, they're roughly equal and it's just national nomenclature that determines what's used. Or are there differing definitions in this future?
>>
>>9948726
Or is section a subdivision of a platoon (They describe drop formation being a "V", with Rico at one pincer, and another officer at the opposing one, with the command element in the notch. Is section a reference to the two halves of the platoon that make up this formation?
>>
>>9948701
Shadow of the Torturer is the first quarter of Book of the New Sun. You have three more to go plus a fourth one which is a kind of coda written a while afterwards to give additional closure to plebs who couldn't work it out on their own. It's still good though. And that's not even getting into Book of the Long Sun and Book of the Short Sun. There's a mountain of stuff ahead of you.
>>
>>9948749
alright so i'm safe to jump into the claw of the whatever now? was legit worried I only downloaded half the book lol, stayed up all night reading the shadow. First sci fi book in a long time that has engrossed me
>>
Currently reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's nicely written, but I'm a bit disappoint in the lack of characterization.
>>
>>9948774
yes, claw is next. might seem like an odd story jump at first but it all comes together soon enough.
>>
File: uKEmJYB.png (733KB, 596x600px) Image search: [Google]
uKEmJYB.png
733KB, 596x600px
So which one should I start?
>Malazan book of etc.
>Prince of Nothing
>The Way of Kings
>Name of the Wind
>>
>>9948726
A section is a specialized squad. For instance, a machine gun, antitank, or psyops section.
>>
>>9948833
>Name of the Wind
Unfinished/Retarded
>The Way of Kings
Unfinished/Mediocre
>Prince of Nothing
YA
>Malazan book of etc.
Stupid long

Since you posted Morrowind though... go with Malazan.
>>
>>9948848
Thanks. Heard Malazan takes a while to ramp up but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Tried to get back into fantasy after a long hiatus by reading The First Law by Abercrombie... man was that a mistake. Utter garbage

But is Prince of Nothing really YA? I heard it was written by a guy with a PhD in philosophy
>>
>>9948857
Prince of Nothing is a GRI series. He's memeing you.
>>
File: Gormenghast Park.jpg (257KB, 1080x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Gormenghast Park.jpg
257KB, 1080x1599px
>>9948423
>>
>>9948857
>But is Prince of Nothing really YA?
>>9948863
This, my apologies. Sounds pretty edgy though.
>>
>>9948833
I feel like I've seen this post before
>>
>>9948833
Read Name of the Wind first. It'll become extremely obvious whether you love it or hate it pretty quickly. You may see a lot of hate for it here, but that's because it's really divisive. It seems like either it's your favorite book ever or the worst piece of shit ever written.

Prince of Nothing is excellent all around, the best book of the best series. The rest of the first trilogy is also pretty great, and the second series while not as good is the DEFINITIVE GRI story, and if you've gotten that far you're probably too invested to stop anyway.
>>
>>9948880
Pardon the ignorance, but what is GRI
>>
File: Suggestion Chart.jpg (699KB, 1000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Suggestion Chart.jpg
699KB, 1000x4000px
>>9948833
Why do people always come with the same 4 books to read? There are hundreds of thousands of sff books, why do you only pick 4?(5 if you add GURM)
>>
>>9948883
Gay Rape and Incest, the trinity of classical fantasy novels.
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61KB, 800x600px
>>9948883
>>9948883
>Pardon the ignorance, but what is GRI
It's SFFG's crowning achievement award, for books of great quality.

Some books might get a honourable mention, but few receive the full seal of approval.
>>
>>9948889
>>9948906
Oh I see. Gay rape and incest sounds great, thanks!
>>
>>9948915
>>9948906
>>9948889
someone really needs to get cracking on a gri chart. >>9948888 chart anon stop wasting time and make this happen
>>
>>9948366
You completely missed the point. The women in the top is traditionally attractive and is "ugly" because she's shit. The women on the bottom is traditionally unattractive but she's not "ugly" because she's nice. It's a fucking children's book m8, how did you not get this?
>>
Tell me about Gene Wolfe.
>>
>>9948888
Let the Right One In was pretty great. Not sure the sheer authenticity of the setting and the people translates well. It's what makes the supernatural stuff, the violence and the GRI work so well imho
>>
>>9948937
he's a bad author and a meme. don't listen to the hype.
>>
>>9948645
>The Songs of Distant Earth
Thanks, this sounds pretty good.
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>9948937
He likes to force as much Christianity into his novels as possible.
>>
>>9947320
I think so. Currently reading ICE's side novels.
The first book is often said to be bad and the worst, but it was good enough for the publisher to order another nine books.
>>9948163
>fourth book in the series right now, Deadhouse Gates
House of Chains*.
>>
Any books/book series with a good lovestory? Doesn't have to be full blown romance fifty shades of gray tier, just good scifi/fantasy books with a nice love interest.
>>
>>9949037
>House of Chains*.
Damn. Yes, of course. I always get the titles mixed up for some reason.
>>
>>9949067
The Night Land. It's basically 100% a love story. I don't know how the rewrite is, but if you can suffer through the HIDEOUS prose the original is full of cool stuff.
>>
>>9948702
>Are you being for really srs?
Yes. Next three book are still good but not at all like the first one. Last three books are trash, except for the epilogue of the Dark Tower itself which was clearly planned in advance. Ending spoilers: the epilogue of the Dark Tower is the first chapter of the Gunslinger :^)
>>
File: The Others made no sound.jpg (155KB, 1854x1197px) Image search: [Google]
The Others made no sound.jpg
155KB, 1854x1197px
>>9948612
>"Why? Why are you doing this to us?"
>The White King's hoary gaze betrayed no inkling of feeling. His scalp gleamed white in the moonlight, like semen drying on Dany's thigh.
>"We," he explained "are a race of popsicles."
>>
>>9948670
>Asshole Beautiful people are usually young
Yes and that's where the stereotype comes from. The bratty teenage girl/boy that's an early bloomer and hasn't had a chance to ruin their body yet. They usually grow up to be fat and ugly but for a few brief years they're both hot shit and huge assholes. Meanwhile the somewhat awkward kids eventually get through puberty and learn to take care of themselves and end up looking and acting way better.

Unless they're millenials, anyway.
>>
>>9948833
>>Prince of Nothing
>>
>>9948848
>>Prince of Nothing
>YA

>Prince of Nothing is Young Adult fiction
Did you grow up in Rwanda or something?

>>9948869
It is edgy on the surface but it's actually for a point, unlike almost all other edginess.
>>
>>9948880
>Prince of Nothing is excellent all around, the best book of the best series.
I question this evaluation. Darkness that Comes Before is actually not great until a reread I think. First time through it's a chore between the prologue and Cnaiür's introduction. After you've finished Prince of Nothing you can look back and see how brilliant it is, but not while you read it the first time.

But what do I know, I thought White Luck Warrior was the best book.
>>
>>9948936
>The women in the top is traditionally attractive
No she's not.
>>
>>9949067
I don't know how you define a good love story. Even in such a subjective discussion, that's a tough one. Hesitantly recommending the Witcher until I know more of your taste.
>>
>>9949067
Blindsight
>>
Is the first Anita Blake novel still considered an all time great urban fantasy?

Shame about the rest of the series.
>>
>>9949130
I fully admit it was the most unfair eval.
Next time it'll be >nothing personnel kid
>>
File: 84243242342.jpg (8KB, 209x200px) Image search: [Google]
84243242342.jpg
8KB, 209x200px
I have never been more confused by a book than I am by Gardens of the Moon
>>
>>9947201

You could pick up Garrett P.I. also by Glenn Cook. I like most of what you like and I have bought into the Wolfe meme, at least for Shadow of the Torturer since I haven't read any others in the series yet
>>
>>9949140
yeah I've read the witcher, other books I liked in terms of romance was wheel of time because who doesn't like a good harem? I'm just looking for any good scifi/fantasy that has some action and a good romance "sidestory" or if the full romance books are worth reading any suggestions would be cool, I haven't read any so I dont really know about romance. In terms of scifi and fantasy I haven't really disliked anything yet, the only one I've left unfinished so far is Malazan Book of the Fallen, it just introduced too many characters and happenings too fast to keep track of, ill probably try re-reading the first book later when I have more time.
>>9949273
yeah same here, it's the first book I've dropped
>>
>>9949291
>other books I liked in terms of romance was wheel of time
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>9949298
I haven't done much reading so my comparisons are bit thin, but wheel of time had some pretty good waifus when they weren't acting like idiots (once in a book)
>>
>>9949273
It's more separated from rest of the books and feels pretty confusing at the start. But rest of the books are great.
I'm thinking about re-reading the series, finally have every audiobook including Assail. Plus Deadhouse Landing by Esslemont drops in November.
>>
>>9949298
>jesus fucking christ
why?
>>
>>9949310
>tugs a braid
Romance in WoT is pretty shit.
>>
>>9949310
Wheel of Time has the worst female characters of anything I've ever read.
>>
>>9949314
>>9949320
oh, gotcha

What series should I get into if I want a realistic or at least semi-realistic setting with little to no actual magic?
>>
>>9948612
>He squatted in the grass for untold aeons
>>
>>9949291
My advice for malazan:
Instead of reading, listen to audiobook.
First 3 books are read by Ralph Lister. He is great with voices. Every character feels distinct.
>>
>>9949351
>I AM THE MOST RUNNY OF STOOLS
>>
Best romance is violent domineering abusive romance. Too bad things like shades of gray has ruined the rep.
>>
ayo hol up
in the claw of the concilliator did serverian just fucking devour thecla's corpse with other followers of voladus? If he was so in love with her why would he allow other people to eat her corpse? Was he that desperate to be with her again or was it the drug?

No spoilers please, haven't finished the book yet
>>
File: 572434324234324.jpg (95KB, 590x572px) Image search: [Google]
572434324234324.jpg
95KB, 590x572px
Gene Wolfe vs. Glen Cook, who u got?
>>
File: Anita Book 24.png (388KB, 452x2195px) Image search: [Google]
Anita Book 24.png
388KB, 452x2195px
>>9949258
The Act of Sex truly ruins everything. Anita Blake was good when it was sexless.
>>
>>9949385
Cook, because I'm a pleb that digs military fantasy. I just love the Black Company too much.
>>
>>9949369
>Best romance is violent domineering abusive romance.
Examples that aren't Twilight tier?
>>
>>9949385
Glen cook writes good pulp, Wolfe is maybe the greatest writer in the genre ever and has helped elevate it.
>>
>>9949369
>Too bad things like shades of gray
You mean 50 shades of grey. Make sure you type out your book names to cause no confusion. Shades of Grey is a great book.

>>9949378
>No spoilers please, haven't finished the book yet
Then why ask questions? Read the book or Neck yourself.
>>
>>9949403
nothing comes to mind that isn't old and/or pornographic.
>>
>tfw the molluscs start getting frisky
>>
>>9948874

I get post-deja vu all the time, sometimes where I feel like I remember being the one who made that exact post the last time I saw it, with the same image
>>
>>9949429
Pornographic disqualifies it why?
>>
>>9949435
The mollucsc from said wheelchair?
>>
File: Sffg memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
>>9949465
>>9948874
>>9948833
>>
>>9949507
No, the warrior molluscs.
>>
>>9949517
the average sffg poster is referring to the girl, right?
>>
>>9949517

I wonder who that autistically smug elf grill is
>>
>>9949532

If she has a feminine penis under that loincloth, then yes
>>
>>9949540
Where DO traps and trannies fit in on gor?
>>
>>9949532
Of course. Boys don't read books.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170828-170517~2.png (72KB, 1440x299px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170828-170517~2.png
72KB, 1440x299px
what did jean wolf mean by this
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u4.jpg (116KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u4.jpg
116KB, 800x557px
>>9949531
????
>>
>>9949532
Of course.
>>
>>9949578
Wnich one is female and which one is male? The male sounds like his performance was something to be desired.
>>
>>9948164
Someone who stopped reading at book 8
>>
>>9949692
the mermaid (executioner) did a good job but because she did a good job shes worn out and a bit melancholy because her job is 'immoral' (murder)
>>
>>9947477
>generic
>defined the genera
>>
File: sffg.jpg (161KB, 620x926px) Image search: [Google]
sffg.jpg
161KB, 620x926px
>>9949532
>>
>>9949825
It didn't actually. It was the standard high fantasy farmboy YA wish fulfillment romp that had been around for ages. It may have epitomized that genre of fantasy at the time, but it wasn't even close to inventing it.
>>
>>9949833
that's better. she has an ugly neck tho.
>>
>>9949273
Just roll with it. Keep reading.
>>
>>9949825
it's a completely generic zero-to-hero romp with a genius twist (being the hero is complete shit, everybody either hates him or is afraid of him or both, he's going crazy and suicidal etc) that went on way longer than it should have
he's a bad writer, people cum to the worldbuilding and I don't really give a shit about that
>>
>>9948469
>>9948612
I'm hoping for Erikson. He's used to packing a lot of information into a single sentence and capable of wrapping up many POVs. A good editor will help in making it read more like GRRM.
>>
>>9949866
The world building isn't very good either. People confuse heaps of detail with actual quality.
>>
>>9949672
More like octopus clams.
>>
>>9949873
>Erikson
erikson is a long winded boring fucking writer who thinks having a million characters makes his novels interesting instead of the confusing slog they become, but can be good if he severely disciplines himself
the one thing of his I'm looking forward to is the karsa orlong sequel, if he manages to not sperg out it may be OK
>>
>>9949905
Eh, I disagree.
>Karsa Orlong
These will probably be heavy on social commentary like he did on the Letherii and Edur storylines. Hopefully a lot of action, though.
>>
File: sffg3.jpg (270KB, 620x926px) Image search: [Google]
sffg3.jpg
270KB, 620x926px
>>9949844
I think I fixed it somewhat.
>>
>>9947122
I'm reading book number 7 at the moment, and so far I'm generally quite happy to have picked up this series. It has some fairly awesome moments of coolness. All the main characters start out at zero, as literal farmers and nobodys, and over the books they build themselves up in terms of physical strength, magic, political maneuvering, and general intrigue. There are some perks that feel very unearned - the main character is a literal messianic figure, getting random perks because THE WHEEL WEAVES AS THE WHEEL WILLS, and a few other of the MCs do as well, but I was able to mostly overlook it.

On the one hand, it's (so far at least) a standard fantasy story with the Promised One going on an adventure to take down the Big Evil, and there's all kinds of prophecies foretelling his destiny, and everyone on his team is somehow special - princes and princesses, the strongest magic users in a thousand years, genius level military commanders, whatever - but on the other hand, the actual hero of the story, the proper MC, is slowly losing his mind, and as a result, it's uncertain how far anyone can trust or follow him. Because he is the Dragon Reborn, a male who can channel saidin (magic), he will slowly go insane until he either dies, or goes so crazy that he kills everyone around him and then dies. So, even though most of the story is fairly generic fantasy, it caught my interest.

The true strength of WoT is, I think, in the worldbuilding. We spend most of the first book in a fairly small part of one nation, and the MCs are all out of their depth traveling even that far from their village, but as the series progresses, Robert Jordan builds a fairly interesting world, with a bunch of different cultures and peoples. They have to learn to adapt to these cultures, and earn respect and standing, and I think my favorite part of the series so far, apart from some of the cool fights and interactions, is the time we spend with these foreign societies.

All in all, I think Wheel of Time might be worth a chance, even though I've been told the next few books I'm in for are going to be slow.
>>
>>9949946
>and a few other of the MCs do as well
You mean all of them.
>>
>>9949946
>All in all, I think Wheel of Time might be worth a chance, even though I've been told the next few books I'm in for are going to be slow.
If you haven't noticed the decline in quality already then i doubt even Crossroads of Twilight can break you. You're exactly the kind of person these books were written for.
>>
>>9949966
Well, I'm not really saying the series is actually great. Although I'm generally enjoying it, and don't regret picking it up, I have quite a few problems with the series as well. For one, it has gotten really tiresome to read the constant autistic "I don't understand women", and "Men make me so angry". Whenever Nynaeve or Elayne start complaining about men, or Rand and Perrin go on about how women defy sense, I feel like stabbing my eyes out.
Another thing that really puts me off, is the really shitty romance plots. I genuinely don't understand how Jordan could write those. I think every pairing so far has started just out of nowhere, and they all get obsessive and teenager-y. Those parts also put me off. There are a bunch of things I don't like about the series, but overall, I'm interested enough to keep going.
>>
>>9950033
I was speaking purely of pacing. Have you not noticed the change yet, really?
>>
I should have stopped at dune messiah.
But here I am.
>>
File: Not reading.jpg (38KB, 408x510px) Image search: [Google]
Not reading.jpg
38KB, 408x510px
>>9949946
>>9950033
>>
File: IMG_2311.jpg (54KB, 254x393px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2311.jpg
54KB, 254x393px
>>9950075
>>
Any quicker paced fantasy rec that isn't extremely large scale / 600 pages of world building?
>>
>>9950127
Anything by Roger Zelazny. Sometimes great things come in small packages.
>>
>>9950070
I ... think not? I mean, some parts, mainly the ones involving Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elaynes adventures, tend to be slower, and take me a bit more time to get through because they're a bit more boring, but most of the main storyline I've liked pretty well so far. Haven't really noticed a decline in readability or anything. In fact, I think I've been enjoying books 6 and 5, and the parts I've read of 7, more than the earlier ones. I don't mind that not everything is super important to moving the plot forward - it's nice to have some "fluff" around the action and intrigue. I don't know how books 8, 9, and 10 are going to be, but if they're anything like 6 and the first third of 7, then I might actually not mind that. One of my problems with The Eye of the World was how it sometimes felt a little rushed and shallow.
>>
>>9950136
10 is universally considered the worst book in the series. The pacing gets so slow at that point that large parts of book 10 actually take place BEFORE the end of book 9. To this day I can't remember more than one or two scenes from that abortion.
>>
>>9950136
I remember wanting to skip entire chapters by book 8 because I just wanted the damn thing to be over already.

I'm with you though, I generally enjoyed the series as a whole. Entry level must-read, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>9950127
You ever heard of Malazan Book of the Fallen?
>>
File: Autism Chart.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Chart.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>9950136
On a scale from 1-14 how autistic are you?
>>
>>9950127
City of Stairs is a good shortish (~300 pages) standalone.
>>
>>9950176
>Entry level must-read,
I'm afraid it would turn most people off the genre.
>>
>>9950127
Library at mount char

>>9950186
He wants a book that isn't long you fucking ESL.
>>
>>9950176
>Entry level must-read
kys shill scum
>>
>>9948880
Name of the Wind is the worst though. It's painfully mediocre, never should have been picked up by a serious publisher. But the reason why I hate it so much is that so many people insist that it's the best fantasy series of the last decade. What the fuck? That's like saying Fifty Shades of Grey is the best work to ever grace contemporary lit.

Imagine you lived in a world where, after people had taken a shit they fished out the turds and put them between two slices of bread and ate it. Then imagine that most people agreed that it was the best foodstuff to be invented since pizza/chicken tenders. That's the fucking world we live in, but with the book version of a shit sandwich.
>>
>>9950148
Haha, I have been told by people with tastes similar to mine that 10 is horrible, and I'm looking forward to getting there so I can see it for myself. Hope it's not that terrible, but when so many people say the same thing, you start to wonder, haha. I've been taking my time, spending some 2-3 weeks per book, so I'll be there in 2 months time.

You have any series you like better than WoT?
>>9950191
I'm entry level, this was recommended to me instead of stuff like LoTR. I don't think it's bad for beginners in the fantasy genre, even though I don't have much to compare it to.
>>
>>9950191
I meant the first book sorry not the entire series. The first few, even.
>>
>>9950208
>You have any series you like better than WoT?
Many. I don't particularly like WoT and stopped reading after Book 10.
>>
>>9950208
>I'm entry level, this was recommended to me instead of stuff like LoTR.
I wouldn't recommend either of these to first time fantasy readers, though for entirely different reasons.
>>
>>9950207
I am 60% through reading Name of the Wind and I still can't get into it. Kvothe feels dull, the fantasy aspects feel even duller, and the cockblock to the archives screws the reader as much as it screws Kvothe.
>>
>>9950238
Ah. Well, no one can say you didn't give it a good shot, I guess. More that fair.
>>9950246
I chose Wheel of Time mostly because I was told Malazan would be too difficult for a noob. Have you read it? Do you agree?
>>
>>9950271
Gardens of the Moon is a terrible first book. I definitely wouldn't recommend Malazan to someone just starting either. Some people I'd never recommend it to at all.
>>
>>9950127
Any of the Discworld stuff that involves Vimes.
>>
>>9950267
Good man. People regularly praise the prose, but I wasn't impressed with that either. It was trying to be poetic, but I felt Rothfuss fumbled that far more than he succeeded. Though the first intro chapter wasn't totally terrible.

Kvothe is more or less a mary sue. If not for the fact that we know he ends up as a broken man in the bar he would be a total mary sue. His flaws rarely set him back, or if they do it's just so he can demonstrate how awesome he is when he overcomes the next hurdle.

I've also seen people praise the world, which surprises me more than anything else. When I read Name of the Wind (the only one I've read), I thought the world felt sort of tacked together and segregated, like a map of Azeroth.

And then there's the unsubtle attempts to deconstruct fantasy tropes.

If Kvothe was a more interesting character it might be worth it, or if there were decent side characters, but there's not and it isn't.
>>
>>9950309
>man-mothers
>>
This has probably been aksed before, but i'll ask anyway, what is /lit's/ opinion on The Name of the Wind? In Barnes and Noble right now, and while im waiting for The Darkness That Comes Before, the manager recommended it to me.
>>
>>9950309
>Chronicler: Hey Kvothe check out this complex language i use in writing
>Kvothe: Whoa cool I just watched you write two characters and I now understand the entire language.
>Chronicler: Geez Kvothe you sure are good at everything!
>>
>>9950267
Maybe read the thread?

Like a few comments above yours, to start.
>>
>>9950127
Haven't read it yet, but King's Champion by Peter Grant is apparently a short yet sweet solid fantasy stand-alone. There's also David Gemmell's Drenai novels.
>>
>>9950383
shit, nevermind, didnt have time to read the thread
>>
>>9950383
Lit seems to generally dislike, but it's damn good
>>
Why doesn't Erikson rewrite Gardens of the Moon instead of working on prequels/sequels? Or at least edit it to make it more comprehensible? I've never seen as many 'first book sucks/is boring' complaints for a series as I have for Malazan.
>>
File: 220px-PatRothfussGnome.jpg (29KB, 220x380px) Image search: [Google]
220px-PatRothfussGnome.jpg
29KB, 220x380px
>>9950383
If you like reading fanfiction tier stuff about a mary sue go ahead.
>>
>>9950320
If you google man-mothers, the first result is this headline:

Oregon man carries mother’s severed head into a grocery, stabs a clerk, police say.
>>
>>9950540
That faggot should move on to a new fantasy series and actually try to get it right this time.
>>
File: 750px-REH_Fence_Photo.png (442KB, 750x1024px) Image search: [Google]
750px-REH_Fence_Photo.png
442KB, 750x1024px
>>9950127
Pretty much any pulp.
>>
>>9950187
This is lame. at least humorously alter the text in all fields.
>>
File: autism.gif (682KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
682KB, 540x540px
>>9950555
>competent characters are mary sue
And it's not fanfic tier. Rothfus might make some cringy paragraphs but he's generally very skillful and writes engagingly. People here are just hipsters.
>>
>>9950540
I liked the book, but I agree tbH. Make it more consistent in terms of the use of magic, for instance.

The book gets a bad rep, but it's likely because the increase in quality is drastic. The ex machina ending critique isn't really valid either, as it was foreshadowed throughout the book. Like previously mentioned, it was good enough for the publishers to order another nine books.

I'm looking forward to the reread.
>>
Someone suggest me a fantasy novel that has the following traits:
>a vibrant world setting heavy on descriptive writing
>multiple fleshed out characters rather than a focus on a single protagonist
>adventure theme with aspects of suspense

Thanks.
>>
>>9950207
Yeah bro obviously everyone but you is stupid, only you can truly understand what makes something good or bad and if tons of people disagree with you it's because they're dumb. Truly you have it all figured out and have no need to understand the viewpoints of others, since they are clearly beneath you. This is a good world view to have.
>>
>>9950683
shadow of the torturer
>>
>>9950540
People who bitch about G&M being confusing are just stupid imo. It's not hard to follow if you actually pay attention. I think these people who complain are just expecting to be spoonfed.
>>
File: 580158_384014.jpg (64KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
580158_384014.jpg
64KB, 604x340px
>>9950685
Yeah man, those fucking book snobs. I prefer Terry Goodkind and GRRM even to any authors outside of genre fiction and people who disagree are just stuck up bitches.
>>
>>9950309
>His flaws rarely set him back, or if they do it's just so he can demonstrate how awesome he is when he overcomes the next hurdle.
What's the problem with this? You realize that having a genius character isn't inherently bad right, as long as there is a fitting obstacle and it's delivered entertainingly. Mary sue does NOT mean "super competent character" it means an author self insert/power fantasy.
>>
>>9950688
Cool I'll check it out
>>
>>9950707
its a meme book so you know its good
>>
>>9946485

Patricia McKillip?
>>
>>9950731
What do you mean by 'meme book'? Is it a /lit/ meme?
>>
Is the Stormlight Archive really as good as it's become popular? I'm not very into fantasy books, but I've really read a lot about them.

I've only really read ASoIaF, Narnia and Harry Potter as far as fantasy books go. Should I read it? Or is it something fantasy book readers like?
>>
>>9950762
Don't mind him, he's just butthurt we don't mindlessly follow the bestselling-charts like reddit is.
>>
>>9950763
Read Tolkien.
>>
what do you guys think about the Name of the Wind? someone recommended it to me and I was wondering if I should check it out.
>>
>>9950690
My main problem with it is that it didn't make me care enough to try to follow it before switched to yet another bunch of characters far away with a bunch of new setting specific concepts to learn.
>>
>>9950683
What do you mean by vibrant.
>>
>>9950877
I Should have said 'interesting' instead of vibrant.
>>
>>9950877
Full of niggers and rapists is what leftists usually mean by that.
>>
I've just finished reading some of Robin Hobb's RotE books. I haven't read all that much fantasy but I did enjoy these ones. Anyone else read them and could recommend a similar series?
>>
File: 1493938479078.jpg (188KB, 1345x750px) Image search: [Google]
1493938479078.jpg
188KB, 1345x750px
>wanted to write a story about a female science hero living in a world of magic
>realized she solves nearly all of her problems with magic and her book-dumb sidekick ends up being a more viable science hero despite only knowing science about food
>>
>>9951014
So write that instead. Build on the irony.
>>
>>9951014
>female science hero
There's your problem.
>>
File: hari james.jpg (101KB, 750x418px) Image search: [Google]
hari james.jpg
101KB, 750x418px
>>9951014
>write a strong independent amazon womyn character, meaning to show her fail miserably in her attempt at pre-gunpowder warfare due to the harsh reality of biology, in order to mock and deride the trope
>she does, but end up liking the flawed and weird character into which she develops and she becomes a recurring, instead of a one-chapter, character

The one on the right is how I picture her
>>
>>9951046
Fug u
>>9951014
Anything that qualifies you to write that premise well?
>>
>>9951076
That lady would wreck a lot of medieval men due to steroids and sufficient mass
>>
>>9951042
awareness of bad writing isn't the same as good writing.

really, the issue that bugs me is that she's supposed to do four tasks with magic and does them with science, but one of her solutions is just a simple pathfinding algorithm and another she's basically spoonfed the solution, so really she only does two tasks. Granted, the final task is more like 3-4 tasks in one depending on whether she uses orbital mechanics to make the main villain shoot himself in the head, but one of those is just a problem she already solved

>>9951078
I've been studying food science and physics as a hobby for years
>>
>>9950627
Why? The truth hurts autist even more.
>>
>>9951082

She's only 5'10. She's not that big, she just looks really awkward and mannish

Google what happens when the MTF MMA fighter goes up against actual women. Weight and training and height and fitness being equal, bone density, blood volume, and muscle mass are still an unspannable gap between the sexes.

Even whatserface from ASOIAF would still be at a severe disadvantage against someone of equal height/weight/training. Grrm acknowledges this tacitly, by making Jaime malnourished, delirious, and one-handed when she "triumphs" over him
>>
File: 1486992557212.png (320KB, 640x300px) Image search: [Google]
1486992557212.png
320KB, 640x300px
>>9951113
>magic requiring any physical strength when you can spam AOE attacks
Dumbass
>>
>>9951076
>>write a strong independent amazon womyn character, meaning to show her fail miserably in her attempt at pre-gunpowder warfare due to the harsh reality of biology, in order to mock and deride the trope
>>she does, but end up liking the flawed and weird character into which she develops and she becomes a recurring, instead of a one-chapter, character
Yes we know Brienne was different in the books than the show GRRM now get back to writing.
>>
>>9951014
Are you the flavours as magic anon?
>>
>>9951152
>>
>>9951167
It is you. How have you been? Your story has changed from what it was years ago. Could hardly recognize it.
Not going the rat king route anymore?
>>
File: 1478345502124.png (790KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
1478345502124.png
790KB, 600x848px
>>9951152
Magic should only be wielded by CUTE GIRLS
>>
>>9951014
CEASE USING MY IMAGE FOR EVIL

THREATS!
SLANDER!
LIES EVEN!
>>
>>9951180
actually, it really hasn't. I was holding off on that story until I finished this one but I never did. I only just completed the first act like a week ago because I stopped writing for like six months, and now I'm slogging through a slow part in which I have a bit of padding to do so the story doesn't seem rushed.

the character I mentioned ended up getting turned into the protagonist's sidekick

the protago of that other story ended up being wrapped into this one
>>
>>9951183
I despise all weavers of the dark arts.
>>
>>9951201
You were shocked that you were recognized?
You shouldn't be. I was in ever. single. ssfg thread. My autism won't allow anything else.
>>
>>9951215
>>9951215
>>9951215
>>9951215
Time to Migrate once again
>>
>>9949385
Both have their strengths. I'm amazed to see someone see a vs as I find Cook isn't so discussed here.
>>
>>9950388
>complex language
>shorthand
It's been previously explained that he has an excellent memory, and he just made the guy write down all the sounds he could think of. He just performed the AMAZING FEAT of learning a new alphabet, how fucking amazing.
I think I figured it out. Brainlets hate Kvothe because they're too stupid to understand him. Actual smart people enjoy reading about him because they can empathise with him. I don't know if you guys know this, but some people are just good at everything. They're real, not even that uncommon. I'm talking "walk into a room full of experts on a topic he never heard of before and surpass their grasp of the topic by the end of a conversation". I've seen a guy learn to play the violin in 5 minutes flat, having never played an instrument before. But you never see these people in stories, because everyone thinks they're "mary sues". But they're not, they're probably the most unsuccessful, miserable people on Earth. Almost ALL of them end up just like Kvothe, working a nothing job in the middle of nowhere, totally abandoning all their accomplishments, contemplating suicide, having alienated all their friends and family and burned all their bridges.

Reading Name of the Wind is amazing if you know how horrible it is to be smart and talented, the isolating, alienation, and hubris. How you ruin your entire life with your own two hands because no one can stop you. For you, you just see him performing all these amazing feats, I see all the horrible mistakes he's making with these seemingly good ideas and know exactly what's going to happen.

You also don't seem to get that it's a mystery. The whole point of making the protagonist so talented is to make you wonder how he ended up in such a horrible situation. It's like a Sherlock Holmes story started with him living on the streets as a hobo, having lost all his money and condemned by Scotland yard. You'd want to know how on Earth that happened wouldn't you?
>>
>>9947127
Thirded
>>
>>9947440
He was one crazy dude.
>>
>>9948957
Saw him at ICON last year. His latest book is better than any of the Sun series. It has a story.
>>
>>9949290
Try Cook's Instrumentalities series too.
>>
>>9949405
Slow down son. He writes first person, for fucks sake. He never has a story, just a bunch of scenes. All style, no substance.
>>
>>9951439
He is shilled. Just not discussed.
>>
>>9948937
HERO
>>
>>9946506
I can't tell if you took the bait and you're retarded, or if you're just retarded.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.