[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 49

File: d243bdfa98ce0d5a35f1b373.jpg (2MB, 2048x1638px) Image search: [Google]
d243bdfa98ce0d5a35f1b373.jpg
2MB, 2048x1638px
Fantasy
>Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/qkz73sR.jpg
>General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
>Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
>Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
>General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: >>8866663
>>
File: 1464193791065.png (4MB, 1600x1992px) Image search: [Google]
1464193791065.png
4MB, 1600x1992px
First

Reminder that charts
>>
>>8874393
can kill?
>>
Is there a good chart/list for military SF?
>>
Is straight shota /sffg/?
>>
>>8874561
Any sff with straight shota?
>>
>>8874436
WHOA HOOOOOOOO
>>
So I began reading A Game of Thrones after years of watching the show and here's my judgement 2/3 into the story: Biggest disappointment in my life.

Guys, give me a modern fantasy book that'll make me forget about my biggest literary let down.
>>
>>8874536
Myke Cole
Ender's Game
Anything by Neal Asher
Anything by Bv Larson
>>
>>8874572
Tampa by Alisha Nutting
>>
>>8874361
>Selected
Jesus christ the faggot shill manipulated the OP and you guys didn't even notice. Replace in the next OP with this https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
>>
Star Wars Heir to the empire vs Star Wars Bloodline

Which do I read first?
>>
>>8874681
>>>/tv/
>>
>>8874683
They're sci-fi books you turd.
>>
>>8874899
Give us something to work with you tease
>>
Tough question.

What's the best christmas /sff/ novel?

Ratings for comfy, winter snow, and heartwarming emotions.
>>
Is Prince of Nothing denser than Malazan? I gave up on the latter after a few pages because it was tiring but part of that might have been because I was kind of in a rump at the time. Anyhow would you consider PoN more or less dense, prose and story wise?
>>
>another Dune adaptation in the works

Why can't filmmakers move on to actual good books?
>>
>>8874393
Read:
BS
Rev Space
3 Body Prob

What's next you say?
>>
>>8874921
Because Dune is well known.
Scifi films just picking up recently, let it get some traction with popular work before we throw in some good shit
chasm city would bang as an HBO style series
>>
>>8874917
Hogfather
>>
>>8874921
>>8874921
Have you seen the complete list of sff adaptations?

http://www.tor.com/2016/12/01/sci-fi-fantasy-adaptations-movies-tv/
>>
>>8874910
The idea at hand is something that I've mentioned here more than a few times. It's about this guy named Will who, after his mom dies, moves to a very weird city in search of his dad. The city in question is a depression-era alternate new york if they hired JK Rowling and MC Escher to do the urban planning. Speakeasies and hidden streets, parks and tunnels are everywhere, some of which seem to follow laws of geometry not approved of by euclid

Pretty quickly, will gets wrapped up in a series of mysterious and mystical herculean labours along with a girl who is some kind of mad scientist trying to understand the oddities of this city. He's obstructed by a psychotic magician who may or may not be the antichrist, and interfered with by a cabal of ancient gods worshiped by the urban fauna.

ultimately these quests will end up transforming the city. Also, there may be a major plot involving a puzzlebox-like book containing the sum total of all human knowledge and the quest to unlock every page. that's kind of an idea I only just had today. Things are coming together weirdly
>>
>>8874954
>adaptations

Nothing has and ever will be shot for most of those.
>>
Dresden Files are terrible.
>>
>>8874921
Millenial detected.
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56KB, 537x540px
>Warbreaker sequel still has no ETA
>miiiight start getting Elantris sequels after Stormlight 4
Fucking Sanderson and his twelve gorillion YA stories.
>>
>>8874919
Malazan is dense throughout, whereas PoN clears up after the first 150 pages
>>
>>8875004
don't call me a 35 year old
>>
>>8874980
yes
>>
>>8875014
I like Alcatraz and The Rithmatist
>>
>>8875050
But he's created a new Reckoners-tier YA series that nobody asked for
>>
File: illo_emperors_soul.gif (434KB, 1589x2500px) Image search: [Google]
illo_emperors_soul.gif
434KB, 1589x2500px
>>8875072
creating* oops
>>
>>8874957
yeah, writing it out didn't organize my thoughts really

>>8874980
well, I still like them

>>8875004
not everyone likes dune. It's deep and defining, and it handles religion better than almost any other scifi story, but it also inherits some of the worst traits of space opera and epic fantasy. The big issue is it has a slow start and doesn't do a good job at hooking people in from the get-go.

>>8874917
It's more a hanukkah story than christmas but the Golem and The Jinni meets all the qualifications. Most of it is
>>
>>8875014
>giving a shit about B-tier sanderson
just bring out stormlight archive 3 already
>>
File: illo_edgedancer.gif (373KB, 1589x2500px) Image search: [Google]
illo_edgedancer.gif
373KB, 1589x2500px
>>8875101
Fall next year, baka. Oathbreaker is done btw, about to go to revision 3.
>>
>>8874957
Okay, looking over my own explanation it seems the two real difficulties in telling this story are

>how do I introduce the quests and what are they?
>how do I get the villain involved and how is he connected to the other characters?

I've got big ideas, but they don't fit together easily

>>8875228
>>8875101
>>8875072
>>8875050
>>8875014

why is sanderson the only writer this thread cares about? seriously, every other post is a sanderson post
>>
>>8875072
Yeah that is annoying
>>
>>8875264
>why is sanderson the only writer this thread cares about? seriously, every other post is a sanderson post
I don't know man, I've got no interest in him but it seems like there's some real love for the Cosmere books. (Maybe because they come out so frequently?) Prefer something a bit weirder myself, like Purser-Hallard or Charles De Lint. What do you like?
>>
>>8874921
The real crime is that Jodorowsky's Dune will never get made. I mean maybe there's a chance that HBO could do it, there's also a chance there could be a Libertarian president in the US.

>In 1973, film producer Arthur P. Jacobs optioned the film rights to Dune but died before a film could be developed. The option was then taken over two years later by director Alejandro Jodorowsky, who proceeded to approach, among others, Virgin Records, with the prog rock groups Tangerine Dream, Gong and Mike Oldfield before settling on Pink Floyd and Magma for some of the music; artists H. R. Giger, Chris Foss, and Jean Giraud for set and character design; Dan O'Bannon for special effects; and Salvador Dalí, Orson Welles, Gloria Swanson, David Carradine, Mick Jagger, Amanda Lear, and others for the cast.[3]

>Herbert traveled to Europe in 1976 to find that $2 million of the $9.5 million budget had already been spent in pre-production, and that Jodorowsky's script would result in a 14-hour film ("It was the size of a phonebook", Herbert later recalled). Jodorowsky took creative liberties with the source material, but Herbert said that he and Jodorowsky had an amicable relationship.
>>
File: voice-of-the-fire.jpg (189KB, 900x1344px) Image search: [Google]
voice-of-the-fire.jpg
189KB, 900x1344px
How much fantastical element is there to this book? I gather there's a section about witches, and Goodreads seems to categorize it as fantasy, but it also seems like more of an "outer /lit/" type thing. Without spoilers if possible, is there actual magic in it, or just Moore's ambiguous "using your imagination is magical, storytellers are like wizards" motif?
>>
>>8875384
Ken Liu and Catherynne Valente when they write fantasy, Tregillis when he blurs the lines between the two. I swear by Butcher for urban stuff, and still mourn the loss of Andrew Hussie
>>
>>8875101
>stormlight archive 3

Dalinar gets all contemplative and shit and worries about the future to come

Shalan is an annoying cunt and remains so for all her chapters

life shits all over kaladin and more people he cares about die violent deaths but he gets a new shiny power up in the process

syl remains cute and adorable.

there, i covered everything of importance that will happen and now you don't have to read it when it comes out.
>>
>>8874922
> Three Body Problem
> What's next you say?

obvious answer:
Dark Forest
Death's End

I churned through Liu Cixins Trilogy literally in the span of last friday night ( when I became aware of the german translation of book 1, which had just come out ) and saturday morning ( by which time I had gotten the second and third book in english, since they aren't translated yet ).

It's brilliant,
It's depressing,
his perspective on things, culture, society etc is unique ( most likely this is due to him being a fucking chinese growing up in a weird quasi communist society ) and grand.

I loved it, but I was honestly exhausted after I got through those three: Usually I enjoy Science Fiction, but after that I couldn't ( though I did re-read "Light" on Sunday ), but read a couple of fantasy books during the week.

You could also read:
" Uprooted " by Naomi Novik, which I was critical of at first but got into quite well ( though the magic in there is rather cringey in it's description, but you'll notice that fast )
>>
File: joderowky.jpg (26KB, 555x601px) Image search: [Google]
joderowky.jpg
26KB, 555x601px
>>8875403
The two bibles are still around and kept safe, so even if it's never getting made as it was envisioned there's the possibility that an animated film based on Moebius's art could get made or copies of the books could be open for the market or get in a museum. Maybe if it gets memed enough something will happen.
>>
/sffg/ does this series of events seem contrived?

>guy arrives in a new city
>immediately gets robbed by a guy pretending to help him with his bags
>takes the subway going who knows where
>it's just him and a girl in the car
>third rail powers down in the middle of the tunnel
>the two end up prying the doors open and going on a mini-adventure in the subway tunnels
>finally the head back to a bar she knows
>the guy who robbed mc is there
>girl flips a shit at him because he was robbing a dirt-broke rube instead of picking her up from the ferry
>turns out he's a mobster, she's the boss's daughter and the whole place is a front
>after things calm down she learns mc has no job but knows how to cook and offers to set him up working in the kitchen of the front
>he agrees, because he's not sure if he'll be fitted for some new concrete sneakers if he says no
>>
>>8875715
>only two people in a subway car

Suspension of disbelief ruined
>>
>>8875715
i'd read it
>>
>>8875730
I live in the non-fictional version of the city it's set in and I see that happen all the time. it depends on the stop, the time of day and the day of the week, and the weather. He's on the train at around 8 at a place that doesn't get a lot of traffic
>>
>>8874675
Man, fuck this guy. The guy must realize his book is complete and utter shit, otherwise he wouldn't continually spam it instead of spamming it a couple times and letting word of mouth do its thing. Utterly pathetic.
>>
>>8875715
Didn't seem too contrived until running into the guy that robbed him, who the girl knew. Can't set it in a city but have all the characters know each other, it makes the world seem too small and underpopulated.
>>
>>8874675
Nobody reads the OP links. I made one of the linked charts, occasionally I post it separately in the thread and everyone acts like they've never seen it before (because they haven't).

Still, good catch, thanks.
>>
>>8874922
What did you like or hate about those books?
>>
>>8875769
that was the part I was worried about. Honestly the weak part isn't that they ran into the guy since he was at a place she'd expect him to be: it's that she ended up traveling with the guy who got robbed

what if – hear me out – the girl saw the thief rob the mc and followed him onto the subway car to make sure he didn't get himself mugged or gang-raped. Then, after the ordeal with the train she brought him to the bar because she knew that's where the theif would go.

It would establish that the girl, who would initially come off ditzy and reckless during the subway tunnel adventure is quite shrewd
>>
>>8875403

Let's be real : it would have been an ungodly clusterfuck and would have had little to nothing to do with the actual Dune.
>>
>>8875264
What drives a lot of fiction discussion is novelty and speculation, so when you have an author with tons of in-progress series with books being released frequently it means they get mentioned a lot. I'd like to talk about Malazan Book of the Fallen but I get very few responses when I bring it up, I figure cause people who like it already read it and anything I say is old news to them.
>>
File: 1482185358551.jpg (60KB, 736x827px) Image search: [Google]
1482185358551.jpg
60KB, 736x827px
>mfw I prompted Dino Anon to make a picture making fun of Long Sun because I wasn't enjoying it at first but now that it became good I feel bad for having caused this
>>
What can you tell me about Weird West stuff? As a burger it's pretty much my native mythology, but I don't know any actual titles and it seems like a lot of the books are RPG-novelization tier. Is Joe R. Lansdale good?
>>
So for the fantasy novel I'm (trying) to write, I had an idea for synesthesia to involve the magic of the world. The idea is that synesthesia is a sign that someone has magical abilities, and obviously the main character would be one of these people. Would it get annoying to have her narration casually describe colors having tastes, sounds having smells, etc., every so often, because it's being told from her perspective?
>>
>>8876149
>annoying
depends on how you and the character seem to be dealing with it.

>"And there it is again," <anonette> thought to herself, "that strange metallic taste that I get every time i look at the color brown. I wonder if i will ever stop getting these."
>But she had no time to ponder over her strange association of colors and taste as just then she heard a loud crash outside the room.
>"Are they here?" she gasped.
>She had been dreading this day would come sooner rather than later.
>"I guess I don't get to get married," she quipped in a low whisper to herself, "and have a normal family life after all. Alana and Denny would have to find a new womb to come to this earth apparently."
>She unsheathed her katana, which made her mouth taste like old paper. She was almost tired of her peculiarity. Only if it tasted like a starbucks mocha latte.
>But she didn't have any time to be day dreaming about quality coffee; it was time to get ready for the inevitable barrage of swooshes and clanking of the all-to-familiar "honor-reclaiming" sword fights her city had become so infamous about.

just cooked something right now. have fun.
>>
I just finished Cugel's Saga and it was good. Does anybody in these gay threads like Jack Vance?
>>
>>8876109
Wouldn't the Dark Tower series be considered Weird West? If so, that would have to be the most well known example.
>>
>>8876109
Try the comic series Preacher, it's a modern setting but it uses a lot of tropes from westerns and has a good deal of weird shit and americana
Or try The Dark Tower like >>8876294 suggested
>>
>>8875404
The latter.

Great book.
>>
>>8876338
Anon, he's not asking for something worse than RPG novelizations.
>>
>>8876228
We all do, except for anti-dino-anon who hyperventilates. I lost my place in Cugel the Clever but Dragon Masters is my all-time favorite.
>>
File: 1471195750574.gif (2MB, 400x205px) Image search: [Google]
1471195750574.gif
2MB, 400x205px
>>8874361
>the chart under selected fantasy still has buried giant
When are you going to put back the original one? If people think we are shilling so some blogger can get a quick 10 bucks they will not take us seriously. They will stop listening to our recommendation.

Fix it
>>
>>8875228
Is that how the city looked? When I heard walls I didn't expect that .
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>8876107
I like gene wolfe anon, so this is a friendly jab at him. Have you even seen I said I hate him? His books are in my charts, and I used to recommend him years before this general became a thing.
>>
>>8876149
>another warbreaker, shades of grey, Lightbringer.
You better do it justice desu.
>>
>>8876438
>all 60+ regular posters like Jack Vance except one guy
Hey dino anon, what you getting yourself for Christmas?
>>
>>8875522
Uprooted is a fine novel, but the Dragon is exceedingly tsundere.
>>
>>8876559
Dino anon will buy himself a copy of a book published on the same day that he looked for it and woman hater anon will masturbate to the most recent Vox Day work.

Then the two anons will engage in premarital coitus, marry and finally leave this threads whilst we gingerly witness their departure into the fires of perdition.

Consequently we would breathe a sigh of relief.
>>
Is Malazan as good as it is set out to be? As far as I can see it exceeds most people's expectations, but I'm fence-sitting super hard.

I guess what's the writing and characters like? I don't really give a shit about the scene and plot, but rather how it interacts with characters. All I care about is 'human' feeling characters (even if they're aliens or whatever the fuck). Bonus points if the authors a poetic masterpiece, and put together with a genius plot or whatever.

I'm getting old so maybe the big epic series is getting past me... I loved Wheel of Time as a teenager / adult, I wouldn't feel the same for it now I think.

Any other suggestions is appreciated. Stories of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang looked interesting and worth a read...
>>
>>8876621
why don't you just read it and find out
there's a million reviews on it already
>>
>>8876614
Dino anon is the guy that likes old books. Antidino anon is the one that screams new books.
>>
Which one of you fags suggested the godspeaker trilogy?
I'm a few chapters in and all I'm seeing is
>tuggs his/her braids
>wasted water
It's like dune and wot mixed together, and not in a nice way.
>>
>>8876621
Shit improves after the first book.

Malazan's thing is the epic scale of things.
The rest is not that great.

Wolfe is probably more to your liking.
Also Dorian Gray from Wilde is really good, some fantastical elements but the prose is just fantastic.
>>
>>8875813
That could work.
>>
>>8874917
Winter Warriors by David Gemmell
>>
>>8876338
>Preacher
*unholsters revolver*
heh...nothin personnel...pardner
>>
Bakker is the best writer of this decade. an anyone beat him ?
>>
>>8876850
You haven't even read enough writers this decade to say that.
>>
>>8876850
>Bakker is the best writer of this decade.

You're not even the best writer in this thread, Scott.
>>
>>8876850
SH has him beat easy I'd say
>>
>>8876866
I hope you get cancer and see your family die in a car crash in front of you.
>>
>>8876850
>Bakker
get >>>/out/ Bakker, you suck.
>>
>>8876855
>>8876866
>>8876877
3 dubs in a row shitting on Bakker.

well, scott, time to leave this board forever.
>>
>>8876854
>>8876855
I know this place is for memeers...but I have read pretty much popular SFF book. Go to any top lists there's a good chance I have read everything. I read about 300-350 books/series. I'm at a point when I don't know when to read( been here for a long time)

Bakker is not the best ever, but he is the best writer of this decade as far as SFF goes. Nothing is as ambitious as this series...

I hope you prove me wrong because I don't know what else to read. Do it.

>>8876866
Who is SH ?

>>8876868
Is he that bad?
>>
>>8876883

Being "ambitious" has nothing to do with the actual quality of the work itself. How you have managed to NOT grasp this very simple concept after allegedly having read hundreds of SFF books is completely beyond me.

Yes, Bakker's work is "ambitious". What you don't mention is that it completely fails to live up to its own hype and falls flat on its face. The prose is incredibly purple and pretentious, the "philosophy" is high school stoner tier, the dialogue varies from cringe to simply ok. Kellhus is no different than Kvothe, and yet Rothfuss gets shit on for having a Gary Stu character and Bakker doesn't, because Bakker had the shrewd intuition of covering it up with a pretense of deepness.

Having a great scope doesn't mean much when you aren't up to the task.
>>
>>8874663
Name of the wind
>>
>>8874675

Hah, fucking hell, it took you guys a month to figure out that I had change dit
>>
File: illo_mb_secret_history.gif (363KB, 1591x2500px) Image search: [Google]
illo_mb_secret_history.gif
363KB, 1591x2500px
Comrades, help! What are useful textbook repositories besides gen lib and bookzz?

>>8876527
Yes. Helps to visualize it.
>>
>>8876899
Kellhus is no different than Kvothe
Stop talking out of your ass
>>
>>8876899
Well, we agree that it is ambitious...however I don't think it fails to live up it's own hype.

Everything you said comes from not understanding the series. It's simply a matter of layers. I first read the book about 10 years ago and I thought it's utter shit.

I changed, I became a more mature person and I learned a lot. When I read it again I understood the book on a deeper level. Every criticism ( except the prose, I agree it is bad in some places) is aimed at the surface level.

Everything, including what you said. The philosophy is stupid if you don't use your imagination and try to understand it more. The dialog is also cringe if you can't accept that this is a different world and people talk in different ways ( for different reason)...As for Kellhus, if you understand that he is but a puppet of the gods all this Mary stue nonsense becomes logical...

I mean, the guy thinks he is a genius but he to is "deceived". The first thing he does is almost die in the wilderness, without dumb luck he would have failed.

And so on...there's many more things to say, however you need to look deeper...Those who hate Bakker are not willing or able to do it because not once have I seen proper criticism.
>>
>>8876916
Someone mentioned it in an earlier thread, but it was quickly forgotten.
>>
File: 1482497261961.png (37KB, 853x625px) Image search: [Google]
1482497261961.png
37KB, 853x625px
Anyone got more of these?
>>
>>8877110
Spurdo or Wolfe memes?
>>
Good urban fantasy?
>>
File: 1427544820077.jpg (167KB, 1056x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1427544820077.jpg
167KB, 1056x1072px
>>8877130

Wolfe.
>>
File: tfw no dorcas gf.png (1MB, 2000x1403px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no dorcas gf.png
1MB, 2000x1403px
>>8877137
>>
File: 1481030287398.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1481030287398.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
>>8877137
>>8877150
>>
File: 1481243242363.png (96KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1481243242363.png
96KB, 557x605px
>>8877110
>>8877137
>>8877150
>>8877158
>>
>>8877133
none such, I am amused
>>
>>8877197
>>8877158
>>8877150

Thank you.
>>
>I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a
part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.

did I stumble into a cuckold fantasy?
>>
>>8877260
>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women. He also began writing a satirical advice column which he continues to this day: The College Survivial Guide. Through all of this he continued to work on his novel.

>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.

You tell me. Does this sound like a cuckold to you?
>>
File: 1481089551593.png (185KB, 486x243px) Image search: [Google]
1481089551593.png
185KB, 486x243px
>>8877279
>and became a skilled lover of women.

Every single time.
>>
If bakker is so amazing, why are there no Bakker memes?
>>
>>8877260

What the hell are you reading?
>>
File: IMG_0024.png (48KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.png
48KB, 853x543px
>>8877292
>>
Rothfuss is a good author.
>>
>>8877279
Talk about wish fulfillment.
>>
>>8877073

Funny thing is I don't even know if Steve even posts here anymore
>>
File: 1478196998610.jpg (167KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478196998610.jpg
167KB, 1024x768px
>>8877299
>>
I grew up reading star wars expanded universe books mostly and other random fantasy books i grabbed from the library. Read a bunch of books in the redwall series as a kid too.

Picked up the wheel of time and realized it fucking sucked and was always the same shit while trying to shove a strange gender agenda down your throat.

Watched the first season of game of thrones then picked up the book series and read them all, it was good at first but I slowly lost my patience with the story as everything unraveled and stopped seeming to be going anywhere interesting any time soon.

I read the first book of The Witcher series and enjoyed it. I'm reading the first book of The Black Company now as its recommended in the sticky but the narration is really barebones and dry (edit: it's getting better, I'll finish it)

I'm sure my taste is shit but I wanna read more stuff and I'll check out whatever is suggested to me.
>>
The Hobbit and LotR confuse me. Tolkien was trying to write a mythology for england but didn't set the series in england.

If I wanted to do that for my home, could I do it in an alternate version of the area?
>>
>>8877389
Humbly requesting a red rising spurdo if there is one
>>
What does a Non-man look like?
>>
>>8877734
Tall, pale, hairless elves with fucked teeth
>>
>>8877734
Less handsome version of Engineers from prometheus
>>
>>8876935
>Everything you said comes from not understanding the series
Not that guy, but come on, don't start an argument with "you just didn't get it."
>The philosophy is stupid if you don't use your imagination and try to understand it more. The dialog is also cringe if you can't accept that this is a different world and people talk in different ways
If you're willing to make excuses like this you can forgive any flaw in any sff book. Doesn't stop the flaws from being there.
>As for Kellhus, if you understand that he is but a puppet of the gods all this Mary stue nonsense becomes logical
It may well be the case that Kellhus is merely a divine instrument (I only read the first trilogy), but I don't agree that this absolves the criticism that he's a Gary Stu. The problem with having a character that is good at everything isn't just that it's unrealistic (which the divine instrument theory solves), it's also that having a character who is good at everything and/or that is predestined to succeed drains the story of narrative tension. And this is a series that, for other reasons that it would take too long to type out, can't afford such a loss of tension.
>Those who hate Bakker are not willing or able to do it because not once have I seen proper criticism
C'mon man, don't pull this middle school level crap.
>>
>>8877786
If Kellhus is so smart, how come he couldn't stop serwe from burning in hell?

Also
>wanting Kellhus to succeed
>not realizing Akka is the protagonist and Kellhus is his antagonist
>>
File: 14822990856091367517452.jpg (19KB, 290x261px) Image search: [Google]
14822990856091367517452.jpg
19KB, 290x261px
>>8877805
>not realizing Akka is the protagonist and Kellhus is his antagonist
>>
>>8877805
>If Kellhus is so smart, how come he couldn't stop serwe
If memory serves, he doesn't actually love Serwe, the first person he actually develops feelings for is Esmenet.
I didn't post anything about wanting Kellhus to succeed or who the protagonist is, and I don't care. As I mentioned, I've stopped reading Bakker's books, because I think they're quite bad.
>>
>>8876621

Malazan is worth it. Fuck these hand-wringing cowards who praise its scope and lament its density all in the same sentence. You don't get one without the other. Commit to the series, and enjoy.
>>
Any of you niggas know where I can get a pdf of The Great Ordeal?
>>
>>8877842
>Dunyain
>developing feelings

AHAHAHAHHAHA
Way to miss his definining character trait.
>>
>>8877734
>>8877753
>>8877769
It's comical how much of a direct rip-off they are (ancient noble race, orcs were made by twisting elves, scranc were made by twisting nonmen etc.), but I like how he put an effort into making them feel alien, like they're actually another species and not just humans with pointy ears and long lives.
>>
>>8877918
I'm pretty sure there's a scene where she's climbing something and almost falls, and Kellhus gets all concerned and then doesn't understand why. I don't care enough to find it or anything, but I'm almost certain that happened.
>>
>>8877954
Pretty sure the only mercy Kellhus ever showed was not killing Cnaiur after his mind finally snapped.
>>
>>8877917
#bookz
>>
Why is Cugel such a cunt?
>>
>>8877713
Has to be made.

I made the Lightbringer one... will probably have to do the sanderson one too and a red rising one.

Make the words so we who edit pics can make it if we are in the mood.
>>
>>8877525
>look mom I posted it again
>>
what's the proper age for a character in a 20's-30's setting to still be young enough to need a legal guardian but old enough that having a job is beleivable?
>>
>>8878306
15/16
depends where it's set
>>
>>8878306
Only reason they would need a legal guardian is if they are "special". Or maybe royality....

You mean 1920? That usually happens when the woman is unmarried and they don't want someone stealing the good without paying for them first.
>>
>>8878313
america some time between 1920's and 1930's
>>
>>8878320
I am so confused
>>
People don't like to read about sociopaths, right?

I'm not talking about the actually charming, clever and manipulative sociopaths, but the ones who genuinely can't understand some human complexities and niceties and generally lack empathy and remorse for what they do.
>>
>>8878321
Where, not when.
>>
>>8878377
new york city
>>
>>8878338
Siri in Blindsight was excellent.
>>
>>8878338
There's a market for every kind of protagonist. Some markets are more niche than others, but if nobody likes your protagonist it's probably because they're badly written.
>>
>>8876621
Malazan has lots of great characters but it is a series that you cannot get into unless you are ready to dive straight into it. It will bombard you with tons of information you will have no way to process immediately and the only option is to keep going and gradually let the everything fall into place. It's extremely rewarding and I consider it well worth the investment of my time, but I understand not everybody has the time or patience to get into a series like this. If you want something you can read one book and get a feel for it, Malazan is not for you.
>>
>>8878338
I am not a Serial Killer. Entertaining and a little off putting at times.
>>
>>8877786
Look, most of the time the "you just don't get it " argument is bullshit. However this is not the case. Here we have a novel where the writer obviously made a great effort to create multiple layers. You can take any novel and make some bullshit criticism ( "why didn't the eagles destroy the ring" is a simple one that comes to mind, but there are many more.

The problem is, those that hate bakker hate him because of the surface level stuff. Those who like the surface level stuff dig deeper and appreciate the series even more...So it's a cycle of haters and fans.

I will repeat it, I don't come here regularly( maybe a few times a week, probably less) but I never saw some proper criticism of the series.

As for what you said, it can be easily explained. There's plenty of narrative tension with kellhus that comes from different layers. First you don't know if he will succeed. Then you realize just how strong he is, but he always shows doubt and at the same time you realize that no matter how strong he faces something absolutely monstrous.

In the second series Kellhus is like a god, and only appears a couple of times. We get the sens that "he won" and we know hes uber powerful, but now he becomes an anomaly. 6 books have passed and we have no clue if he will save or destroy the world. There's plenty of tension in that.

Kellhus outright admits it, and it is a subtle irony. In the latest book he has a short monologue about how he has become "a place". The Dunayn wanted to become "self moving souls" essentially cheating causality and creating "true free will" however Kellhus, the best of them, becomes a puppet to circumstance. He has become so strong and wise, he has "mastered circumstance" on such a level that he has no free will. Everything happens according to his will, and when something unexpected happens there's only 1 path to chose ( the shortest path).

So in this great irony the most powerful being in the world becomes a slave. Going from a to b to c without any chance of a different path.

Anyway...my point still stands, proper criticism of the series is really rare because most people don't make the effort to understand what's it all about...so they only talk shit and memes.
>>
I-I like The Second Apocalypse.
>>
>>8878411
im no expert, but the "street rat" aesthetic springs to mind. I'm sure there's lots of errands to be run for up and coming enterprising lads in the biggest city in america. if you want to intergrate the real or a pseudo great depression that'll give rugrats a reason to work as young as 8 or 9.
>>
>>8874681
The entire Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn Duology
Theyre all exemplary and made the EU seem like it had potential
>>
>>8878333
You think you are confused? Read the guy's post.
>>
What are some fantasy novels to get into the mood for a game of Dungeons and Dragons?

No 'humans only' settings like Game of Thrones please.
>>
>>8878702

What do you mean by D&D? Traditional Faerun stuff? I got nothing for you. But beyond that? Look up Chronicles of Athas books written by Lynn Abbey.
>>
>>8878724
I'm not sure what you mean. Dungeons and Dragons is a role playing game.
>>
>>8878730

Yes, and Faerun is more often than not the primary setting in which D&D stuff takes place.

There's also Planescape and Ravenloft, among others, and the books I recommended to you come from the Dark Sun subset of D&D.
>>
>>8878742
I'm not really looking for DnD brand books, so much as novels that capture the overall feel of retro DnD. I should have been more specific, sorry.
>>
>>8878755

Dark Sun is 2nd edition D&D.

Don't know how more retro than that you can get.

Mind you, it's dark fantasy, and the main protagonist fits in the anti-hero classification, so you might not actually want that.
>>
>>8878762
Again, I'm not really looking for books branded under DnD names/settings etc.
>>
>>8878755
>>8878702
>>8878775

There's a modest movement going on right now to rediscover the original books that inspired D&D. Lord of the Rings is of course a big one, especially for non-human races and for dungeon crawls (if you read one part, read the Moria chapters), but some of the other systems were inspired by other books; alignment, for example, seems to come heavily from Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, while the magic system is of course direct from Jack Vance's The Dying Earth. Authors like Zelazny, Burroughs, and Brackett had pretty big influences as well; Nine Princes in Amber/Guns of Avalon, A Princess of Mars, and Black Amazon of Mars are all excellent starting points for those authors.
>>
>>8878804
>>8878702
Oh, and "humans only" doesn't mean as much when you delve into pre-1980 fantasy. Conan could have been a convincing non-human as far as those are traditionally portrayed; he's certainly more exotic to the humans he meets than Legolas is to the Fellowship. I suppose Elric is non-human but I can't recommend those since I haven't read them and my only Moorcock experience was negative.

Burroughs, though, green-skinned four-armed tusked men to have swordfights with. That's pretty D&D even if there's no Scottish-brogue dwarves to swill ale with while the noble elves sigh dramatically.
>>
Any good fantasy comedy novels? And are there any fantasy novels where a dragon gets sexed?
>>
File: tg leviathan.jpg (1MB, 1170x2552px) Image search: [Google]
tg leviathan.jpg
1MB, 1170x2552px
>>8878702
Watch Zettai Bouei Leviathan.
>>
Why am I trying to hash this plot out. I couldn't even finish the short story that was supposed to be the pilot
>>
>>8878855
Literally the description of: Guards! Guards!
Well, maybe it's not that much of a dragon-erotica you might want for.
>>
god, I hate A Darker Shade Of Magic but I have nothing else to read. I have no attachment to these characters or the plot
>>
If Wolfe is so smart why didn't he make the BotNS story enjoyable in it's own right and not only as intellectual metafiction wankery?
>>
>>8879320
I enjoyed it as a story, but I would never claim it's for everyone.
>>
/sffg/ what's some good magical realism that does a very good job of creating a sense of wonder or exoticism?
>>
Can anyone recommend me a sci-fi book for a total pleb who barely reads anything? My friend doesn't really like to read much, but hes in a situation where I can't send him too much. I thought maybe some short story collection by PKD, but not so sure.
>>
>>8878755
If you want to go full retard you could try a They're in the Game!!!-style book. I like these but most people would probably cringe.

Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame is probably the best, though it takes itself the most seriously. Robert Bevan's Caverns & Creatures is an extended shitpost that may or may not make you laugh. Drew Hayes NPCs series has pretty poor writing but pretty decent storytelling.

I like them all but I only recommend them with a big grain of salt.
>>
>>8879390
Expanse series

It's Asoiaf in space. Perfect intro for plebs
>>
>>8879390
Read Foundation or Downbellow Station, both are absolute jewels of sci-fi but different hues.

>unrelated filk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsVJezFRi4
>>
>>8875715
sounds good. would continue reading
>>
>>8878338

I loved the broken empire
>>
File: 1458977775104.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1458977775104.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
I'm reading Foundation and Hari Seldon is really similar to Aeolia Schenberg from Gundam 00. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that whoever wrote the anime was an Asimov fan.
>>
>>8879390
Dune
>>
>>8878598
>memes

But...they're all I have left.
>>
About 2/3rds of the way through Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Deckard is just starting to get paranoid he may be an android, exactly how much of the content is trimmed or left out of the movie Blade Runner?
>>
>>8877704
The shire is pseudo-England
And sure
>>
>>8879390
Some good standalones (with optional extra books if you're sucked in):
Chasm City
Gateway
Dune/Foundation
Enders Game
>>
>>8879998
Which has the other kind of psycho. The clockwork orange kind.
>>
>>8880257
A lot. The ending is completely different, and so is the message. Entropy and religion and all that.
I loved the book, was meh on the movie.
>>
>>8879390
Ender's game.
>>
>>8880290

I wonder if the sequel will actually answer if he is an android? If so then it entirely defeats the point of Dick's themes of real vs genuine. Thus making the original novel moot outside of a few things.

So what should I read from Dick next? I've already read: VALIS, The Man in the High Castle and Martian Time Slip.
>>
>>8879320
Because that wasn't his goal (though indeed I doubt if he could).
He writes that way because he LIKES it, he likes playing around with story meta and religion. He even basically says it in the book itself, when he's spending a lot of time on allegories.

Severian also says somewhere that he wants to make the work a blend of literary and genre fiction.
>>
>>8880296
In my opinion he wasn't an android, as it turns out they were screwing with his head, also some other minor indications. No sequel needed. Just read the ending.

Which of the ones you've read did you like most?
>>
>>8880296
Short stories.
>>
>>8878702
https://jeffro.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/the-first-draft-of-my-appendix-n-book/
Knock yourself out.
>>
>half a book into Foundation
>grey morality everywhere
>>
File: 1864846854.png (74KB, 398x199px) Image search: [Google]
1864846854.png
74KB, 398x199px
>mfw Prelude to Foundation

Man, even when he wasn't even trying, Asimov managed to write a pretty good story, gotta give it to that guy.
>>
>>8874968
>tfw the Foundation series has been in development hell for half a decade now, if not more
>>
>>8880368
>/b/tier reactions
Reddit and tumbshit is probably more your tastes.
>>
>>8880382
>thread full of memetier shit
>point out the one non shit tier image
>consider the following posts good and not worth calling out
>>8877389
>>8877299
>>8877284
Are you suffering from Stockholm syndome shitposter-kun?
>>
Asimov's Foundation is really deceptively easy to read. His sentences are as simple as Sanderson's but each chapter is a mini story and occasionally a cliffhanger and it's almost as if he writes in negative space - what isn't said is almost as important as what is.

Minimalistic story telling.
>>
where is the rape I was promised in the first book of the godspeaker trilogy? All I'm getting is braid tugging.
>>
>>8880392
>reaction anon gets triggered because he was singled out
Chill the fuck down tumblbie
>>
>>8880392
Those are our memes. We reject your act of colonization.
>>
>>8876621
Malazan is shit as a whole, it has some nice stories in between but the author was trying too hard to make an "epic"

He ended up introducing a few hundred characters, not many with any depth, most ended up meaning nothing to the overall plot.
The world and magic systems suffer from the same thing. Extremely wide and shallow.
>>
>>8880392
All the posts you linked were lit/sffg related and relevant to the thread if you read more, you would know this.

It's funny that your book is scifi and all the posts are fantasy are you by chance a hater of fantasy? Do you have some pretensions to excellence pertaining to the pathologically vast published works that is pseudo science papers?
>>
File: Sffg memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
>>8880490
This. Fuck off newfag we're full.
>>
Why is Chasm City frequently recommended as standalone sci-fi but not The Prefect?
>>
>>8880414
thats it strength and its weakness

it gives the story real weight, makes you feel every word. he writes as if it were object fact, and leaves everything to your imagination, making the experience more memorable

however it's dull prose, and in the slower parts of the story, it impares flow. in some cases Foundation reads like a history textbook, and unless you're incredibly committed, it'll be as boring as one
>>
>>8880539
well I've read both and not only did I enjoy Chasm City more, I felt Prefect was a little too high scif for me. I guess they're both good standalones but I think Chasm City is better loved.
>>
>>8880543
As an Asimov dicksucker and not a real fan of history books, maybe the dialogues playing a big part is what draw me in the first place, which is why I didn't noticed the parts that may read as a history book.

I do admit that the prose is too simple, but more often than not, prose isn't the reason I read books, so I'm not too bothered by it.
>>
Fantasy with this feel?
>>
>people who enjoy something, but call it somehow shit because of some "objective" standard
>Then they don't enjoy something but call it good because of some "objective" standard
What's wrong with just enjoying something?

Also any recommendations with pure suffering?
Besides To Kill a God.
>>
>>8880539
Prefect is getting a sequel next year.
>>
>>8880612
Child birth?
>>
thanks - I might try the Book of the New Sun.

A review said this: On a first, superficial reading, there is little to distinguish Wolfe’s tetralogy from many other sf and fantasy novels, with the exception of the aforementioned xenography, or world building, the credible characters and the polished, literate style. "

While still claiming it was a masterpiece [for other areas, obviously]. I think you made the perfect recommendation :)
>>
>>8876750
>>8880799

-.-
>>
>>8880539
Jesus cosmerefag, that image says just how anime Sanderson is. Are those fucking naruto seals holding their power in check on those bakumon?
>>
>>8880612
Wtf am i looking at? Is she riding adick?
>>
>>8880647
>>
>>8880907
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24235463-three-two-one
>>
File: Zdzisław Beksiński - 17.jpg (57KB, 477x600px) Image search: [Google]
Zdzisław Beksiński - 17.jpg
57KB, 477x600px
>>8880904
>>8880727
im serious
>>
Is giving a character a basilisk-related task still doable now that Rowling did it?

I was having ideas for quests and they all seem dumb in comparison. One of them is for an Oracle to find and catch an a "basilisk fly" whose appearance is so abominable that light steps out of the way to avoid touching it, rendering it invisible. Her only way to fin it in a giant forest is to see a future where she already found it and follow her own footsteps
>>
How do you write sort of a Dark Souls / Berserk aesthetic? You know, subtle lore, a dark world. The meme goes that fantasy lately is too dark, but it just seems to be gory and dirty for the sake of gore and sex and rape.

So how do you write that sort of dark, gothic aesthetic that Berserk and Dark Souls / Diablo has going for it?
Any relevant books?
>>
>>8881031
that sounds retarded, but in general no -- it's not like rowling created the concept of a basilisk
>>
>>8880727
>>8880904
Why do you people put on the stupid act?
>>
There is a reading suggestions chart about Dune, the one that recommends to stay away from Brian Herbert books.

Does anyone have it?
>>
>>8881031
if it's not possible to look at the basilisk it dissolves the tension of the concept. the point of it is that you're tempted to look, sealing your fate, because you are your own worst enemy.
>>
>>8877294
smells like Rothfuss, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>8874675
It has been mentioned multiple times in threads past. No one cares enough to fix it.
>>
>>8881077
Constant hopelessness and loneliness. You could probably pick just about anything Russian and get the tone that you want to go for.
>>
File: 1328113944915.png (273KB, 408x455px) Image search: [Google]
1328113944915.png
273KB, 408x455px
>>8880914
>WARNING: This is a STANDALONE non-traditional M/F/M ROMANCE with a non-traditional ending.
>>
>>8881230
ONE GIRL

Battered, barefoot, and huddled under a bookstore awning in the pouring rain, Blue only knows one thing. After fifteen months of captivity, finally… she is free.

TWO FRIENDS

Self-made millionaires JD and Ark are not out to save anyone when they stumble upon a wet and shivering girl one early Sunday morning. But when you sell sex for a living and salvation rings your bell… you answer the call.

THREE SOULMATES

After years of searching, love lifts the veil of darkness, and three people—with three very big secrets—find themselves bound together in a relationship that defies the odds.

Or does it?

Love. Lust. Sex.

This trinity might be perfection… but not everything should come in 3’s.
>>
>>8881248
>Poor abused girl
>handsome millionaires falling for her

Are people who write trash like this not self aware in the slightest?
>>
>>8881268
Housewives get bored, man.
>>
>>8881268
She sucks their dicks seconds after meeting them.
In front of a camera, in public.

Also they then take her home and fingerbang her in the bathtub until she literally loses her conciousness (literally)
>>
>>8881083
>>8881095

Fine, not a basilisk fly. A black dragonfly. Or a tarrasque fly. Something that eats light. It just needs to be a pun on dragonfly and be invisible.
>>
>>8881295
You know what? Fuck it. It's a basilisk fly anyway. The point isn't to kill it, it's to catch it in a jar. It being so hideous that the universe itself censors it meets my needs, and the much bigger basilisks are still dangerous because you can't see them
>>
>>8881316
>mfw we are surrounded by huge swarms of basilisk flies all the time
>>
>>8881295
dude just write what's in your heart lol
>>
>>8881294
This sounds more retarded than an average h-doujin plot.
>>
File: 1482190247695.jpg (232KB, 750x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1482190247695.jpg
232KB, 750x1024px
>The Darkness that Comes Before
>G *and* R on the first pages
Impressive.
>>
File: 6446815.jpg (138KB, 700x896px) Image search: [Google]
6446815.jpg
138KB, 700x896px
>>8881268
>females
>self-aware

Her profile pic is an adequate reaction.
>>
File: 1480870493323.jpg (41KB, 372x327px) Image search: [Google]
1480870493323.jpg
41KB, 372x327px
Any good /sffg/ with explicit mom/son incest?
>>
>>8881323
In this setting, basilisks are rare dragons who have committed the ultimate act of gluttony and swallowed themselves, an act so impossible and disturbing that reality itself sweeps it under the rug, warping light around them so that mortals cannot observe something they were never meant to comprehend.

These blasphemous ourobori continue on as entities of pure gluttony, consiming whole worlds around them until there is nothing left. They are doomed to float through space until they have digested themselves entirely and evaporate

Basilisk flies however are another matter. Being born from dragonflies who committed the ultimate gluttony, they are too small and digest themselves too quickly to consume more than a few kilograms before they are gone. As a result they can be captured and punished by the gods that preside over them
>>
>>8881414
That's actually pretty neat. What sort of gods?
>>
>>8881414
I'd read it, maybe. How far are you with it?
>>
>>8878484
>>8878338
>>8878585
I find the idea of a sociopathic/autistic protag appealing. Ive picked up blindsight and also the I am not a serial killer trilogy, but would like other suggestions if you guys have them.
>>
I'm looking for some epic fantasy recommendations, I've read and thoroughly enjoyed The Kingkiller Chronicles, The Farseer Trilogy, First Law and The Magicians(fuck you I liked it)got anything similar?
>>
>>8881638
Malazan
>>
File: 1452256287892.gif (4MB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452256287892.gif
4MB, 600x450px
>>8881414
Not bad.

You'd better not waste this.

>>8881589
If you just want autistic Grampa Waterhouse in Cryptonomicon and Isaac Newton in Baroque Cycle both fit.
>>
>>8881515
Toth, the savior of the winged world and Serapsis, the serpent of the sea of stars

>>8881526
I got pretty far, but lost hope becuase it wasn't coming out right. Now however I realize I can use this idea to avert an ass pull.

Originally the oracle who catches it is supposed to learn that she can manipulate gravity, and uses it at the end to escape a bad situation through a black hole and into an alternate universe. Now I realize I don't need he to gain the power to create a black hole, because that's what the basilisk fly was supposed to be from the beginning: a black hole spirit, a being of elemental gluttony!
>>
>>8881084
>come to book thread
>expect people to know what photo you posted
I don't know that pic it looks fucked up, I asked you what it is and you behave like I should know >>>/co/ crossboard scums are the worst.
>>
>>8881094
Check the archives
>>
>>8881730
I'm familiar with Beksinski, and I'm aware that his work is easy to parody. Anon was just acting autistic about other anons making fun of it instead of genuflecting.
>>
File: dune.jpg (1022KB, 1144x2560px) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
1022KB, 1144x2560px
>>8881094
>>8881734
HO HO HO
MERRY CHARTMAS
>>
File: IMG_0060.jpg (875KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0060.jpg
875KB, 1632x1224px
>>8881730
I think he means geigeresque horror

>>8881740
try scary stories to tell in the dark. yes, it's a kids book, but im 23, I dont flinch at gore, I took a painting that was very obviously haunted, and I still don't want to be in a dark room with one of those books.

pic related, it's the painting
>>
>>8874361
Ive been reading mistborn, and i cant get interested into it for the life of me, nor can i get interested into necromancer. Any other books similar to these that are superior as well?
>>
>>8881772
Why do you want similar books to stuff you dislike?
>>
>>8881781
Because he is a masochist maso
>>
>>8881741
HOW ARE THERE SO MANY?
>>
File: plebshit.jpg (1MB, 2528x1365px) Image search: [Google]
plebshit.jpg
1MB, 2528x1365px
>>8881892
It turns out capitalism encourages writers to regurgitate familiar characters, settings and storylines over and over again to turn a quick profit.
>>
>>8882117
>that many star wars novels
I was not aware.
>>
>>8882117
Mieville, go home. You're drunk.
>>
>>8881741
>Bijaz of Dune
I'd actually read that.
>>
>>8874980
Really? I read Storm Front, and it seemed pretty solid, although I don't read a ton. Are there any other series that you would say are better in the fantasy/sci-fi noir genre?
>>
>>8876910
Don't be an ass anon.
>>8874663
I'm not sure if you mean "modern setting" but Mazalan Book of The Fallen by Steven Erikson is pretty great.
>>
File: IMG_9036.jpg (27KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9036.jpg
27KB, 280x180px
>Gateway adaptation on Syfy

Oh fucking excellent, can't wait for them to mutilate the heartwarmingly despicable Robin from a wife beating arsehole to a rough 'n ready """badass"""
Fuck what Gateway needs is the gritty Alien low-tech aesthetic, some suitably ugly actors, and a screenwriter who isn't a complete arsehole.

I think I just get a big nostalgiaboner for one of my earliest favourites but it's still sad to think of it getting a likely v shit adaptation. Pohl only died like 3 years ago, why didn't they make this sooner.
>>
>>8882299
some backstory: a human spanish man is exploring the outer limits of space when he comes across a planet of giant vegetable humans

as a fetishist he become so bewildered and seeks up the most beautiful plant looking creature to sniff its anus, the follow scene is the result
>>
File: 1365573578759.jpg (77KB, 434x550px) Image search: [Google]
1365573578759.jpg
77KB, 434x550px
>>8882300

>Syfy
>>
>>8882300
Hyperion and Brave New World are also on the pipeline.

BNW is very doable with a modest budget and some good talent, as well as some crafty screenplay. Atwood's Handmaid's Tale looks pretty good and that's got a similar vibe.

Hyperion will be shit with anything less than a GoT budget, despite its episodic format.
>>
File: joyce_intensifies.png (265KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
joyce_intensifies.png
265KB, 600x384px
>>8882299
>trips, dubs, and dubs
>>
>>8882321

>Hyperion

Will they be doing Endymion as well? Because I can't wait to see how true love gives people the power to teleport across the universe in TV format.
>>
>>8882334
>what is Interstellar
>>
>>8876621
I tried reading the first book. I got so bored half way through I just threw it in a corner and pretty much completely forgot about it until now. Dull characters and weak prose.
>>
>>8882299
It is bad.
>>
anyone's got some juicy trove with audiobooks and epubs?

I imagine this is a meme question, but I've literally run out over this absence
>>
>>8882321
BNW is already been done for television, complete with tight sci-fi clothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek5vse2_Aq0

I'm interested in the Three-Body Problem movie, and weather or not something interesting will come out of Luna: New Moon.

>>8882312
Expanse is pretty good.
>>
File: Muh List.png (169KB, 1586x700px) Image search: [Google]
Muh List.png
169KB, 1586x700px
>>8882379
>juicy trove with audiobooks
Add at least 100 to what you currently see.
>>
>>8882379
gen.lib.rus.ec
>>
>>8881077
The "unfinished tales" from Tolkien are pretty close to what you're describing. The story of Tuor was fucked up.
>>
>>8874919
You will regret reading Bakker. I think I never gave up on a SFF book before reading that trash.
>>
>>8877704
It's based on old Germanic folklore, which is the foundation of English culture going back thousands of years. Remember that Tolkien was a scholar of Old English poetry, he has a decidedly more historical perspective on what it means to be "English".
>>
>>8882403
i have arranged them by author first names
thinking of arranging them by author last names.

also, i have a folder with miscellaneous files that i download any time someone suggests a book here on /lit/.
probably have 3 copies of all books.
gotta find time to delete copies.
>>
>>8882344
To be fair, they at least think it's advanced human beans manipulating the 4th dimension in there, despite what the MC thinks.
>>
Is this fantasy sufficiently dense with scifi references?

>character must answer the sphynx's (the hairless cat, not the mythical creature) riddle
>the sphynx tried to kill her sister (who is her opposite in every way) by trapping her in box with only a pellet of rat poison to eat.
>the box has long since stopped shaking but she isn't sure if her sister is alive or dead and will not open the box until she is sure, lest her sister trick her and cage her in her own trap
>the character must find a way to see if her sister in the box is alive or dead without opening it, or the sphynx will lose patience and kill her too
>the character manages to do so by looking at the through hyperspace and sees that the sister in the box was neither alive nor dead, because she was not in the box, she tunneled out
>the sister attacks the sphynx and the two annihilate each other
>>
File: Poleaxes.jpg (95KB, 745x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Poleaxes.jpg
95KB, 745x1024px
Why don't I see a lot of these in fantasy stories?
>>
>>8883097
because most playwrights and gladiators learned early on that polearms don't make for visually spectacular combat. There need to be swings and swipes, which only work and look good with hand weapons like swords, maces and axes.

swords especially stood out because they were symbolic. Not only were they the first tools designed exclusively for killing humans, they were primarily the weapons of nobles and great warriors due to high cost of material and manufacture

>>8882839
so I need a more historical perspective of new york to write a new york mythos? Dammit, I made it an AU just so I could get away with historical inaccuracy. New York doesn't even really have alleyways but they're a central part of the cosmology
>>
>>8883108
I get that sentiment for visual mediums, but why not for literature?
>>
>>8883117
because visual media came first and literature inherited the tropes. Plus, most people still try to visualize scenes that they read
>>
>>8883123
Ah, okay. Thanks.
>>
>>8882942
Is it a sexy sphynx?
>>
Hey senpai I don't read much sff. I had an idea after reading/watching Name of the Rose, Seventh Seal, and the Grand Inquisitor section of Karamazov, is this kind of character someting that has already been done?
>fantasy setting
>an officer of the inquisition (think the historical medieval/early modern inquisition)
>not a zealot or sadist
>genuinely concerned with the search for truth and existentially terrified of the seeming impossibility of certain knowledge and of the silence of god
>well read and intelligent, but uses intimidation and violence as his tools to search for knowledge and truth because of his military background and, in a subconcious sense, as an outlet for his frustration and fear of his own ignorance of truth and god (concepts which he considers inseperable)

Years ago I read the first book of The First Law and I remember there are prominent characters in an inquisition-like organization, and I know the main character of Book of the New Sun is a torturer. Is my idea derivative of anything?
>>
>>8883141
Its a sphynx, as in the breed of cat. They look like vaguely feline versions of dobby the house elf after he realized real freedom comes not from having clothes, but from taking them off in the middle of socially inappropriate areas
>>
>>8883152
This is unfortunate.
>>
If somebody in the wide world of military SF hasn't already done so, in which case I want to know about it - why not write a story about soldiers on an alien planet in the manner of Leo Tolstoy's early Chechen frontier stories; in which a small detachment of soldiers are usually sent to carry out a menial task in hostile territory, along with an observant narrator.

Through the narrator we are given exotic,beautiful, foreboding topographical details (perhaps an arid Martian-like landscape, or a rainforested world full of deadly fauna) and meet some of the soldiers (the human interest, but also the platform for the story's SF/military trappings, a chance to relate lore and technology porn.)

The soldiers would be given the task of doing something ordinary like clearing an area of vegetation, or fixing an communications aerial - all around there is a suggestion that something dangerous is looming, perhaps in the environment (an enemy raid, artillery shot, or attack by a carnivorous animal), and the sense of unease is relayed by the narrator who is listening to the soldiers talk shop about their fallen friends, and foreboding rumours about the land.

The story should be full of the cameraderie of the soldiers, who are well observed by the narrator. At least one of them is mortally wounded

Well, it's just an idea - transposing something like Tolstoy's The Woodfellers or The Raid into a hostile alien planet under the process of being colonised.

And at the very least I would read it.
>>
File: The_Regiment.jpg (33KB, 291x475px) Image search: [Google]
The_Regiment.jpg
33KB, 291x475px
>>8883159
Sounds vaguely reminiscent of pic related. The protag is a war reporter anyway.
>>
Are there any good fantasy novels with a little girl protagonist?
>>
>>8881382
Name a better prologue.

Pro tip: u cant
>>
>>8883210
my dairy desu
>>
>>8883150
>not a zealot or sadist
Good.
Thank god.
>>
>>8883349
That was something that really hobbled Small Gods in my opinion.
>>
>>8883210
I missed these.
>>
File: 1book24.jpg (241KB, 862x658px) Image search: [Google]
1book24.jpg
241KB, 862x658px
>>8883210
>>
File: 1467506767202.jpg (61KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
1467506767202.jpg
61KB, 510x680px
>>8883210
Let the right one in
Black Jewels Trilogy
Iron Dragon's Daughter
And pic related [got many boners when she described how they used her juice box[/spoiler]
>>
>>8883499
Sshheeiit fugged up the spoiler
>>
>>8883150
It has sorta been done in vidya(Barnham ins PL vs AA), but I don't remember any example in lit.
>>
>>8883159
Forever War was kinda like that, but it's not exactly full of exotic landscapes. The narrator does talk about the menial tasks they usually do and stuff.
>>
Merry Christmas faggets.
What did you buy yourself to open today alone in an empty house?
>>
>>8883533

Heretic scum. Christmas isn't until January and it has nothing to do with buying things.
>>
File: 1478668191003.webm (2MB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
1478668191003.webm
2MB, 700x394px
>>8883554
>waaah why do western protestants do things different from eastern picturekissers
Maybe someday your folk will set the world's cultural agenda again someday. Till then it's buying things to remember how Christ bought us, faggot.
>>
File: illo_eleventh_metal.gif (649KB, 1590x2500px) Image search: [Google]
illo_eleventh_metal.gif
649KB, 1590x2500px
>>88835334
Christmas is no different than any other regular day like all holidays for me so not a single thing.
>>
File: 1481727454251.jpg (336KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1481727454251.jpg
336KB, 1000x667px
>Sanderson obviously watches anime
>literally produces anime in novel form
>is a Mormon
>>
Is Stormlight Archive as good as it is set out to be? As far as I can see it exceeds most people love it but I'm fence-sitting super hard because it's still a work in progress.

I guess what's the writing and characters like? I don't really give a shit about the scene and plot, but rather how it interacts with characters. All I care about is 'human' feeling characters (even if they're aliens or whatever the fuck). Bonus points if the authors a poetic masterpiece, and put together with a genius plot or whatever.
>>
>>8884200
Is this a new meme? Please stop.
>>
>>8884200
I read the first two and they left absolutely no impression on me. I can't get behind a ten-book series when nothing happens in the first two thousand pages
>>
>>8884200
I tried to read the first and failed. It just seemed like generic fantasy. It was like reading something by Salvatore.
>>
>>8882942

I'm not sure about this whole spynx riddle thing. On one hand it's got everything it needs, but on the other there's the thing that most good mythical creatures only have one iconic fable

>Oedipus and the sphinx
>Perseus and the minotaur
>Oddysius and the cyclops
>Hercules and the hydra
>Franketstein's monster
>Van Helsing and Dracula
>Dorothy and the wicked witches
>Harry Potter and the basilisk

I would feel comfortable replacing the sphynx with a ghoul or barghest, but they don't have the same tendency for riddles
>>
>>8883502
Select the text.

And hit Ctrl + S
>>
New Shill Free Thread
>>8884361
>>8884361
>>8884361
>>
>>8884362
was on muh tablet
went back to type out "" started and forgot.

Doesn't really matter all the books have gri anyways
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.