[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1815

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 65

File: 1486193183490.jpg (244KB, 840x560px) Image search: [Google]
1486193183490.jpg
244KB, 840x560px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Special /int/ FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to /a/
There's the door

Last thread
>>71445334
>>
File: 1455317681090.png (182KB, 288x430px) Image search: [Google]
1455317681090.png
182KB, 288x430px
Vocabulary and reading are very important, but your reason for learning is the most important thing of all! You have to think about why you want to learn Japanese, because that's what creates the will that you need to do your reps every day! The reason that you need to read for hours! When you've done over 1000 reps, and your hands are shaking, and you feel like you can't do another rep, then it's your reason that makes you go beyond your limits! It makes you go back in one more time and struggle to push through another 100 reps!

The problem with a lot of people is that they've never felt any pain. Any time it starts to get hard, they quit. For most skills, there is an unavoidable period of hardship and just plain hard work before you become proficient at it. If you avoid that period, that hardship, then how will you learn that skill? I dare you to take a little pain! I dare you to keep studying when you feel tired! Somebody said, "If I don't take a break, then I feel bad." What if you go through it anyways? You aren't going to die! At the end of pain is success! You aren't going to die because you're feeling a little pain! A lot of people won't be successful because when they're studying, they get tired and slowly peter out and eventually quit! Don't go to sleep until you succeed!
>>
>>71547667
now it's just getting creepy
>>
>>71547667
>implying following any of this won't kill me
>>
File: kanji.png (249KB, 683x2738px) Image search: [Google]
kanji.png
249KB, 683x2738px
>>71546259
It really does takes a while. You have a good start, keep it up. I want to see your graph all lit up blue in the future!
>>
>>71547839
>>71546562
I see, thanks senpai
>>
File: 1469543827696.jpg (24KB, 534x443px) Image search: [Google]
1469543827696.jpg
24KB, 534x443px
>>71547839
whenever I see a list of the most important kanji like this it looks totally manageable
>>
>>71548065
They aren't really "most important"; the kanji I've encountered are mostly from core6k and a bit of mining on my own.

I've gone through RTK in the past as well, so learning new ones really isn't much of an issue, I just haven't encountered them used in words yet.
>>
>>71548164
I meant those which are commonly used, there are still all sorts of kanji for animals, plants and other shit
>>
>>71547839
Do you learn the readings as well or just the meanings?
>>
>>71548760
The graph is made via an anki plugin: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/942570791 (I apparently have an older version of this same thing)

They're learned in the context of words, not just isolated readings OR meanings.
>>
File: 1477580205372.jpg (37KB, 1024x672px) Image search: [Google]
1477580205372.jpg
37KB, 1024x672px
To change an i-adjective to a noun you would get rid of the い and add さ correct?
I have been looking through google, tae kim, and the grammar reference for the past 20 minutes and I still couldn't find much
>>
Hey guys I was just wondering... should I complement my practice sessions with listening excercises? If so, where should I find said excercises?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>71550914
yes, and for the others you just change the な to さ
>>
>>71550931
>anon doesn't work watch anime
What the?...
>>
File: 1457712350487.png (391KB, 1082x2157px) Image search: [Google]
1457712350487.png
391KB, 1082x2157px
>>71551109
Thanks for the help Germany
>>
File: youdontsay.png (442KB, 444x518px) Image search: [Google]
youdontsay.png
442KB, 444x518px
>>71547667
My main motivation is knowing my goal will be reached soon. Then I can start the next step, move towards a new goal, which will also be over soon.

Thinking about "I want to speak Japanese" or "I want to read mangos" doesn't motivate me.

That's why I can't draw for shit, I only want to be good, but I lack the ability to see how to dismember Art into chewable steps.

Anki for drawing through pain and suffering when.
>>
>>71551190
What don't you get about drawing? I'm an artist and it's definitely already broken down to the point it's a science with formulas and such. Drawing doesn't work like anki or as far as I'm aware it shouldn't. Every one does anki differently so I could be wrong, but as long as you draw many hours per week, you'll improve no matter what.
>>
>>71551135
Is this game comfy
>>
File: FARTHEST2015.png (638KB, 816x638px) Image search: [Google]
FARTHEST2015.png
638KB, 816x638px
What are you reading guys?
>>
>>71550914
Yep, says so in the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar. I seriously recommend those. They're extremely useful.
>>71551109
But is it true that it can't be done for every な-adjective?
>>
>>71551750
I do know the fundamentals that are meant to be practiced, like line control, symmetry, proportion, perspective, anatomy, rendering, shading (projected/volumetric), all that stuff.

But... it doesn't feel like a checklist like it does in Japanese.
I manage to learn Japanese because I knew learning 6000 words would take me 300 days, learning 2100 kanjis would take me 500 days, learning all ~3000 basic kanji would take 2 years.

In drawing it's more about self-assessment, and those skills are never really "mastered", you just improve them all in parallel and towards infinity. I can't handle the vagueness of measuring progress.

Can you tell me how you do it, or why am I wrong in this comparison with Japanese?
>>
File: ようこそ.jpg (414KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ようこそ.jpg
414KB, 3840x1080px
>>71552436
>>
File: 113.jpg (467KB, 1128x1600px) Image search: [Google]
113.jpg
467KB, 1128x1600px
>>71552436
only for language learning purposes of course
>>
How is 許せよな different from 許せ?
>>
>>71551126
oh yeah, that might work too
>>
バンプ
>>
>>71555735
How long does it take for a thread to get archived?
>>
>>71556012
I think threads bumplock at 300 posts
>>
how do you go about approaching grammar? Just learn as you go?
>>
>>71556260
Put effort into it, out of everything that you do.
>>
>>71556260
First, I read Tae Kim and tried to, at the very least, have a basic idea what each grammar point meant. After that, whenever I'm reading something and come across a grammar point I don't remember, or if I want to understand it better, I just check the DoJG.
>>
>>71547365
からかい上手の高木さん
第1~5巻
Digital version of volume 5 was just made avaliable on Rakuten, so I ripped it.
This series was/is pretty well received on /a/ and you've probably seen various reaction faces of 高木 floating around the site. In some ways it is similar to となりの関くん、so if you enjoyed that you'd probably enjoy this.

https://mega.nz/#F!RNQQjJoK!rvGZUnZbtHo1icBFC3Kozw
>>
>>71557753
Is this manga about that girl blueballing that guy?
>>
File: 13190138_G.jpg (17KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
13190138_G.jpg
17KB, 640x360px
Japanese Ocean goer saves life of Korean Family

Korean family got caught in large waves at beach and was being swept out to sea (and certain death)

http://www.kitv.com/story/34563733/good-samaritans-save-8-year-old-boy-on-oahus-north-shore

WOW
>>
>>71557753
>5巻
Oh wow. どうも
>>
>>71550931
i know that kanzen master n2 (and n1) mentions a lot of listening strategies but i don't know about n3 and lower. anyway it's something i wish i had done earlier in my study. it's very useful for getting used to how japanese is actually spoken. you can probably "find" all of them very easily if you search around a bit. so in terms of organized textbook practice it's probably the best. other than that, there are listening practice books both jlpt-aimed and non-jlpt.

as for media, watch whatever you like, with or without japanese subs, but the important thing is actively listening. relistening to parts where you have absolutely no clue what was said, actively trying to recognize unknown words etc. if you don't like anime or drama there are a lot of variety, political, quiz shows, documentaries etc. i think 相棒 is probably one of the best dramas for someone like me who can't stand asian drama in general. if you enjoy active listening i definitely think it is worth doing as part of studying.
>>
>>71556385
>>71556499
Do you guys read Tae Kim entirely first before you start consuming native material? I think some anons read Tae Kim and do the core decks at the same time.
>>
大学院デジタルメディアデザイン専攻浅野博善君の作品。
魚眼レンズを利用する事で壁面と床両方に連続した映像を投影している。体験したことのない不思議な空間の中に入る。
名古屋造形大学卒展/愛知県美術館8階/19日まで

What is this tweet saying exactly? Something like he created a wall that is to be seen as a fish-eye lens?
>>
File: dw.jpg (118KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dw.jpg
118KB, 2000x1000px
Japanese thread with a picture of a Swiss village
>>
>>71558059
Skim read it for your first go. A lot of it you won't take up simply because you'll lack a comprehension; just try to commit the basics to memory. Go through it again when you can be bothered with a fine tooth comb, and begin reading the basic dictionary of Japanese grammar with each particle Kim explains. And be sure to read; reading isn't just about meanings, but how they fit together.
>>
>>71558059
I did and then realized that Tae Kim was just basic shit and that the DOJG was the bible you'd need to go to forever. Then it turns out there's like 3 DOJG. I think I dropped reading for a few weeks after coming to this realization.
>>
>>71558059
Just skimmed it for the moment. Haven't started native material yet, might start in late March/early April once I'm done with kanji.
>>
>>71558123
Lens that projects an image to the wall and the floor
>>
>>71558123
>魚眼レンズを利用する事で壁面と床両方に連続した映像を投影している。
By using a fisheye lens, it can film both the wall and the ground simultaneously.
>体験したことのない不思議な空間の中に入る。
You can enter a brand new world of wonder, something never experienced before.
>>
Anybody feel like they aren't advancing?
>>
>>71558793
I'm at that point where advancement doesn't mean anything because I have infinite problems and infinite answers. I just want to understand you! Why is it so hard to understand?!
>>
>>71558866
>I have infinite problems and infinite answers

That's just the story of Japanese, isn't it? Kind of why I gave up on it after a while, not that things are any better now. I got a few friends who learned pretty well and even do manga translations now, but I never really took it seriously and I don't know shit. Feel like a real dummy, wasted so much of my life away thinking about what if and man I wish I could do this rather than trying to actually do it. oh well.
>>
>>71558933
*for a while
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 400x558px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 400x558px
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this. I'm half Japanese, and was raised around the language a bit. However I'm not fluent at all. I know all kana and some kanji, and can understand some speech. Where should I start? Just at the beginning for extra comprehension? ty
>>
>>71559059
Start by reading the guide
>>
>>71558933
one you learn most of the grammer, its mainly just vocab which you can brush up on easily.. depending on how long you been studied japanese before, you can start reading authentic text like the easy version of news articles or even short stories
>>
>>71559220
I've barely actually studied. I know the simplest shit and that's it. If I try to read anything more complicated than a few words I blank out. I find myself reading sentences where I know what all the words mean but I don't know what the sentence itself means, feel like such an idiot but I guess I am an idiot. Any knuckledragger seems to be able to learn a language competently but I can't.
>>
File: 1475796091549.png (447KB, 715x759px) Image search: [Google]
1475796091549.png
447KB, 715x759px
Anyone up for shitty noob grammar questions? (is / is not)

I replied to someone asking in Japanese who this "person" (Aqua from Konosuba) was, with:
>人じゃない駄女神です (Hito ja nai damegami desu)
... mentioning my grammar was probably wrong. They corrected me with:
>人じゃなくて女神なんですよ (Hito janakute megamina ndesu yo)

(I'm guessing they dropped the damegami meme because they didn't get the reference.)
I Googled janakute vs. janai and was confused. First link was something about it being a double negative (eg, for both person and goddess) but I think that's wrong. Another mentioned it was a connective form used in jokes. Didn't really understand this.
I couldn't find anything on megami vs. megamina at all. I get that na is sort of like ne at the end of a sentence, but I don't get how it's being used here?
"ndesu" instead of "desu" seems to mean "it is for this reason." eg, "Aqua is not a human. It is for this reason she is a goddess." Is that correct?
"yo" emphasizes new information, though I'm not sure if this context requires it or not.

Semi-Related:
In the anime Gintama, a catchphrase is:
>ツラじゃない桂だ (Zura ja nai Katsura da)
when the character Katsura is referred to by his nickname, Zura. Why is there no janakute or ndesu yo here?

In the anime Jojo's Bizaare Adventure, a meme line is:
>ジョジョでわじゃない。このディオだ! (Jojo de wa ja nai. Kono Dio da!)
> ... Note: I transcribed this and may have made errors, original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NidcMz_xk
Is "de wa" used here to indicate past tense?
Why is "kono" used here, but not with Katsura in Gintama?
>>
はぁ。外人ってアニメ画像ばかり貼るけどさ、日本ってアニメしか長所ねえのかよって感じ......
>>
>>71559461
>日本ってアニメしか長所ねえのかよ
正解
>>
>>71559461
いやいやエロゲのことを忘れないで頂戴
>>
>>71559522
>>71559594
お前らなんて、大嫌いだ!(( つ•̀ω•́)つ)` 3 °).·`,´·
>>
>>71559320
i think its just a matter of getting used to seeing the language more and more so that you'll get comfortable with it. being exposed to it is kinda like studying in an odd way. things will take time and some words will stick with you easier than other words. thats why dictionary and rikaichan/kun exists to help us out with others.

but also at the end of the day, a little bit of extra sitting down and just trying to remember and force yourself to remember things is essential in any foreign language if you want to speed up the intake

and seeing sentences and being confused as fuck happens to most of us too when we read. i read newspaper article and government shit before where i know all the kanji and vocab in the sentence but still clueless before too. that's normal, and you should never think that you're an idiot for feeling so. that's just the challenge of learning a new language, and where you have to reexamine the sentence again or ask a native speaker for advice
>>
>>71559361
じゃなくて is the て-form of じゃない. Since what you want to say is a single sentence - "she's not a person, (but) a 駄女神" - the て-form is used as a connective. なん (not the な-adjective な) is short for なの and it's used because your sentence is explanatory (correcting the Japanese guy's mistake in assuming that Aqua is a person). よ is used for a similar reason: you're introducing information that is unknown to the other person.
In both of your examples, the characters are saying two separate sentences, so if you wanted to, you could have also said 人じゃない。駄女神なんです。
I don't know how to explain the この thing because people don't say that in English. Hopefully a native or a more experienced learner can help your out here.
>>
>>71547667
I keep reading this in an anime voice

I'm losing sight of why I even wanted to learn this language anymore, Japanese ask me a lot and I have no real answer anymore, I don't watch anime and I don't care for manga, maybe I'll watch the odd WW2 movie about Japan but really, I don't know.

But I keep going, for whatever reason, I want to learn it. 2 years and counting.
>>
>>71559361
>>71559802
Also, the third sentence is wrong. You mean ジョジョではない.
ではない is the same as じゃない (the latter is actually a shortened form - ではー>じゃ is a very common contraction in Japanese.)
>>
>>71559692
Thanks for the response, helps put things into perspective.

>or ask a native speaker for advice
This is a challenge in of itself, isn't it? If I had to ask a native Japanese person about anything, I have to admit that I wouldn't know where to go.
>>
>>71559955
Japanese anons come on this thread every once in a while. Just be on the lookout.
>>
>>71559955
there's nothing wrong with that. i took all the opportunities there were to practice japanese. i was a part of the japanese student association, be a part of that cause that's where the foreign exchange students will be at. my school did weekly video conference with another uni in japan and we had one-on-one skype chats. and i had kaiwa partners. and of course there's always your teacher... they will always be very helpful and enthusiastic to help you out from my experience.

and there's nothing wrong by simply saying i have no idea what this means at all, help please. my teacher gave me a section of governement survey to write a paper on which was much harder than my friends cause she thought i could handle it (it was the last formal japanese class i took so was pretty high level) and i literally did not know how to decipher it at all. again, it happens to me and many others. she guided me along to understand it and so will others. so don't be too hung up on it... it's the internet, we're all here to help plus your teacher plus friends.. that's a lot of resources that you should use!
>>
File: 1429294012993.jpg (73KB, 396x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1429294012993.jpg
73KB, 396x1076px
>>71559361
Hey, that was from some shitty thread on /v/, wasn't it? If so, I'm the anon who "corrected" you in that thread. I was skimming over the thread and noticed your post and interjected without really caring about the context of your conversation or what it was you were trying to say. Might read この素晴らしい世界に祝福を! some time.
You actually looked all that up? Pretty amusing, anon.
>>
File: IMG_20170203_214420.jpg (46KB, 640x782px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_214420.jpg
46KB, 640x782px
>>71559361
>>71559802
I'm not very experienced so take this with a grain of salt, but in Part 4, Yoshikage Kira tends to say "kono yoshikage kira" to refer to himself, which the Crunchyroll subtitles translate as him speaking in 3rd person (So it might have been to keep the fact that in doing so he's revealing his identity from being lost in translation). Based on this, I assumed using この before one's name is a really hammy way of referring to oneself.
I'd also say this is something only anime characters say, so be careful.
PS: The CAPTCHa had the words "chase" and "stone"
>>
Oh, I misread your post and thought it was a Japanese person correcting you, not a random guy on 4chan. How embarrassing.

>>71560171
>Based on this, I assumed using この before one's name is a really hammy way of referring to oneself.
It is, but it's also used in the same manner with pronouns (この俺 etc). I don't know how I'd translate that.
>>
I've seen a lot of verbal nouns for construction in Anki, (nearing 2k).

Which one would represent most accurately a construction worker in general?

Like "I am a construction worker"
I've used them all more or less and always get confused looks.
>>
File: 1486160909987.png (732KB, 691x724px) Image search: [Google]
1486160909987.png
732KB, 691x724px
>>71559839
Naruhodo. Thanks for the corrections. (I transcribed Dio wrong. Sad!)

>>71559802
>>71560171
>I don't know how to explain the この thing because people don't say that in English
>この before one's name is a really hammy way of referring to oneself
Huh, so maybe Dio and Kira are both just being a little chuuni or something?

It makes sense to me when it's about a non-person, eg, この素晴らしい世界に祝福を! because the world they're referring to is one different from Earth.

>>71560141
Haha, small warudo. But yeah, I figured I fucked up and wanted to correct my understanding before I made a habit of it. So now you know the power of correcting people's grammar in shitposts.
>>
>>71560389
If you're serious about Japanese and aren't already studying in some sort of consistent manner, check out the guide linked in the OP. These sorts of things you are asking about are explained, with examples, in the various recommended grammar guides found in the guide.
What is your background with Japanese? Are you studying?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-24-02-29-44.png (400KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-24-02-29-44.png
400KB, 720x1280px
Hey guys, am I officially weeaboo scum?

By the way, I can't believe how comfortable Google's Japanese keyboard for Android feels. Feels much better than the older one where I simply typed the text in romaji and it autoconverted. I highly recommend everyone to download it.
>>
やぁみなさん、こんにちは! ( *・ω・)ノ
>>
>>71560441
Pretty much shit tbqh, I'm still on vocab and haven't done Tae Kim or kanji yet. But yeah, following the guide.
>>
>>71551135
この絵は凄く可愛い過ぎるねー
>>
youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ooCnZviZ8

would these sentences be used in native nippongo?
>>
>>71560529
I can't stand these keyboards, i prefer roumaji input.
>>
> は~が
>A construction which relates a non controllable state of something or someone to a topic

With 「花子は目が奇麗だ」I can see how something like eyes being pretty would be uncontrollable since you can't really do anything to change them but what about

>私は英語が分かる
>辞書はウェブスターがいい

As for the first if you look at it as "you can't really unlearn something so once you know it" then it makes sense but what about the second? Surely you can control whether or not your dictionary is bad or good, right? Or does it mean "if your current skill level is not good enough then you can't write a good dictionary and therefore can't control its quality"?

Also, for whom is the state non controllable? The speaker or the topic marked by 「は」?
>>
>>71562070
is this explanation from a grammar book? at first i couldn't understand the description, but i think what they call "uncontrollable" might be referring to stative verbs.

stative verbs describe states as opposed to actions, such as 分かる、できる、見える、要る、聞こえる.
the object of stative verbs are, as a general rule, marked by が.
other stative verbs are potential forms and the たい form.

adjectives can also be viewed as statives as opposed to actions, but i am unsure whether it is of relevance here, as the adjectives are being used as predicates, so there is no object.
>>
>>71562787
>is this explanation from a grammar book?
Yes, it's from https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#は~が

>but i think what they call "uncontrollable" might be referring to stative verbs
That makes more sense, thank you.
>>
>>71559826
>I keep reading this in an anime voice
>tfw learning Japanese so I can do this because it doesn't work in english
>>
File: メロ3!_1_001.jpg (85KB, 828x1200px) Image search: [Google]
メロ3!_1_001.jpg
85KB, 828x1200px
>>71547365
メロ3!
第1~2巻

https://mega.nz/#F!lIRRRCaZ!w6vJD9YP8vv9_I8x02WpdA
>>
File: 1年777組_5_000b.jpg (918KB, 2559x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1年777組_5_000b.jpg
918KB, 2559x2400px
>>71547365
1年777組
第1~5巻

https://mega.nz/#F!tQIi1RAC!GdBxFN7XtWoxLkYPZGAIAg
>>
Damn it, i just started listening practice and I can't get shit. I try all variations of long vowels and short vowels, and nothing. I have to turn on english subtitles and lookup the english word.

I know this is going to get better but an episode is taking me 2 hours to get through.
>>
>>71563555
Yeah usually the vocabulary and how they're pronounced throws a person off in the beginning.
>>
File: 20160308056.jpg (78KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20160308056.jpg
78KB, 960x1280px
>>71553612
許せ forgive /pardon
許せよな you can forgive me, can't you?
>>71557753
読んだことない
>>71559361
「人じゃない、駄女神です」
ダメ(駄目)+女神
駄女神 means 駄目な女神
>it was a connective form used in jokes.
that 's right
>>
>>71563555
Use Japanese subs.
You can find a website who provides those subs in tge OP
>>
File: 20160308258.jpg (80KB, 800x1107px) Image search: [Google]
20160308258.jpg
80KB, 800x1107px
>>71562070
you know 「は」 is a topic marker and 「が」 is a case marker
辞書はウェブスターがいい
About the dictionary, Webster is the best.
「辞書」is the topic of this sentence , not the Subject
「ウェブスター」 is the Subject of the sentence
you see?

Refer to the following
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topic-prominent_language
>>
File: 姉妹の方程式_1_000.jpg (115KB, 835x1200px) Image search: [Google]
姉妹の方程式_1_000.jpg
115KB, 835x1200px
>>71547365
姉妹の方程式
第1~4巻

https://mega.nz/#F!NcIHQChD!kEjOPnhNMKHJfoG5ed8IJg
>>
>>71566077
>駄女神 means 駄目な女神
そっか、そっか。ありがと!
>>
>>71547365
まーぶるインスパイア
第1~5巻

https://mega.nz/#F!kEYTGACQ!CuIUDIjm5jag6dG1s5FqBA
>>
>>71561557
Eh, I'm pretty sure this is how the Japanese type with their cellphones, so I don't really think it would be that difficult to use.
Also, my previous keyboard was fucking shit, it had a lot of kanji missing.
>>
File: EGCITED.gif (468KB, 170x197px) Image search: [Google]
EGCITED.gif
468KB, 170x197px
ANKI DATA LEAK!
>>
>>71572305
Literally nothing happened. From what anki said plus the details of the leak it's almost a 0% chance data got leaked.
>>
>>71572305
Don't steal my decks plz
>>
File: Kanji18.png (117KB, 483x2193px) Image search: [Google]
Kanji18.png
117KB, 483x2193px
>>71547839
>>
File: Moustache pepe.png (61KB, 475x382px) Image search: [Google]
Moustache pepe.png
61KB, 475x382px
>>71572305
jej, good think I keep all my decks stored offline in my cellphone. They'll never steal my decks!
>>
>>71572442
At least in relation to anki.
>>
File: 1481071208880.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481071208880.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
どー同人誌がある?
>>
https://www.fluentin3months.com/2k-kanji/

Thoughts?
>>
>>71573258
counterproductive meme-tier shit
>>
File: how-to-impress-your-friends.png (2MB, 1289x1519px) Image search: [Google]
how-to-impress-your-friends.png
2MB, 1289x1519px
>>71573258
Just from reading the title - no
>>
>>71573258
Seems kind of forced. Like somebody coaxed him into doing this "blog post" as a favour, and since he couldn't think of anything interesting or worthwhile to say he just ended up shilling rtk for a few paragraphs.
>>
What if I want to use Anki on my phone?
>>
>>71573585
What's stopping you?
>>
Can someone help me out?
>キメてこなきゃコロス
>You need to go all out
What does the コロス mean here?
The answer is "コ,コロ!?"
I have no idea what's meant here.

Context: Girl tells another girl to cheer up and go after her love interest.
>>
>>71573691
if it's from a manga or something post image pls
>>
>>71573691
kill it, like go and get him
>>
>>71573828
Ah I feel stupid, yeah that fits. Thanks
>>
>>71573258
Anything that claims to make you fluent in X amount of time is a scam, don't fall for them.
>>
>>71573585
I already do it, I find it much easier than to do it on the PC, and I can do it when I'm not at home.
>>
>>71572666
(Satan check'd)
What does どー mean here?
>>
>>71574372
S-s-senpai, what a-a-are you asking?
>>
>>71574420
>どー同人誌がある?
What does どー mean? Did you mean どう? But even then, it doesn't seem to make much sense.
>>
>>71574527
stuttering you idiot
>>
>>71574527
I-i-t w-w-wasn't m-m-me is what I-I-I'm trying t-t-to tell y-y-you
>>
how od i get a japanese gf?!
>>
File: 1482740422929.jpg (386KB, 820x801px) Image search: [Google]
1482740422929.jpg
386KB, 820x801px
>>71573258
It's basically: do RTK in 3 months and you'll "know" 2k kanji, which isn't really untrue. Just how useful that "knowing" is really depends on what you do with it afterwards.

The nebulous "knowing" means basically: you're familiar with and can distinguish between a lot of radicals, have learned the general stroke order of said radicals and have a really fuzzy keyword connection with each kanji. These in of themselves are somewhat useless and can be learned via other methods.

The biggest benefits to bothering with all this is
1. you develop a routine and stick with it for 3 months, hopefully it has become habit by then (a powerful aid in learning any language)
2. kanji don't intimidate / trip you up as much so learning new vocab and reading is a bit smoother
3. you can handwrite things with proper stroke order
Again, all but 3 can be achieved with other methods, but perhaps not quite as easily.

In the end, you can get by fine without it, just via learning kanji in the context of words.

It's sort of like climbing a staircase cause they all lead to the same place: up. Learning kanji individually / doing some radical study (or RTK) is like climbing 1 step at a time, whereas just diving into vocab / reading is like climbing 2 or 3 steps at a time. It's harder on you initially but arguably more efficient IF you can handle it. Again, both ways lead to the same destination, it's just dividing it into more steps makes it easier on yourself.

In my opinion it makes you more likely to succeed for the average person, due to the overall process being easier -> more likely to keep it up. If you're already disciplined / overly stubborn you can just dive in and get the same result.
>>
>>71574616
in reality it's like this

>3 months to get fluent?! fuck yeah
*1 year later*
>WTF THIS SHIT IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
>>
>>71574577
That's not how you do stuttering in Japanese fucking idiot
>>
>>71574616
I would argue that rtk makes you less likely to succeed, because you basically have to stop learning Japanese for 3 months. However I could be biased because rtk is the main reason I quit on my first dabble with Japanese.
>>
>>71574577
Pls no rude
>>
>>71575114
agreed, I'm not saying that it doesn't have positive aspects, but RTK keeps you from reading for ages... and the 3 month period is a joke by itself if you aren't a Neet with an iron will, which are mutually exclusive anyway most of the time

it says 23 kanji on a daily basis, this doesn't seem that much at first, but they aren't just some european words that already sound familiar anyway, it's characters that look completely arbitrary if you are a beginner
plus, I don't know how many readings exist for the kanji for average but let's assume it's 2 or something for the sake of the argument, then you have to remember 23 arbitrary kanji, plus 46 arbitrary sounds that seem to be totally exchangeable.... on a daily basis... good luck with that
>>
How do you say "I meant..." in Japanese?

Like say you're talking about something, and the person your talking to misinterpretation what you meant, so you say "not that, I meant..."
>>
>>71575410
Tbf Heisig himself says you should study readings after you're done with Volume 1. Most people can easily do without studying the readings though.
>>
>>71575618
yeah but when you only study the meanings of the kanji then your japanese level is still almost at zero
>>
>>71575728
1. It can make it easier for you to recognize the meaning of a word when you first see it, which you couldn't do without knowing the meanings
2. Makes remembering vocabulary easier, given that you at least recognize the individual kanji
3. Teaches you to write
>>
>>71575728
I did RTK and I didn't study readings at all with it. Instead I started RTK and at some arbitrary point when I felt good about my kanji learning method I started core and grammar study while doing RTK at the same time. Studying readings by themselves is almost completely useless in my opinion but RTK helps by allowing you to feel more comfortable with kanji instead of being lost with no discernible method for breaking it down as well as for actually writing them (if writing is part of your goal).
>>
>>71575900
in practice it's like this though, you waste months on learning kanji without speaking a single word of japanese, you learn hundreds of kanji that you won't even see as a beginner, ever
then when you actually start with japanese for real you'll have already forgotten tons of kanji

RTK is a nice thing in theory and it tries to give you some foundation, but in reality you have to go through all of it again and again anyways, then you might as well learn the kanji/words in a proper context right from the beginning
>>
>ロ...? ロでするんだよね?
Please help
>>
>>71575900
>>71576023
I followed the instructions of RTK precisely by the way, but I feel like I would have made much more progress if I had just started with the most common kanji
the grouping according to the radicals and shit didn't help me at all t2h
>>
>>71576063
Maybe I just don't work the same, but if I hadn't done RTK I feel like I would have just kind of seen the kanji off shape and not really understood the parts that make up a kanji thereby making it much harder to reproduce kanji. This ultimately would have hurt me as I would have had to go back and restudy individual kanji as writing is one of my goals.

Ultimately if you do RTK you have to not just do RTK but at a certain point before you finish it or more likely before being half-way done with it shift it to a supplement and focus more on grammar and the traditional learning methods.
>>
>>71576250
That's fine, you probably just learn in a different way than I do it may not have worked for you but it did work for me, and I just wanted to share why it worked for me.
>>
>>71576063
Which is why I like the wanikani deck. It combines the kanji with vocab.

The kanji help you remember the vocab and the vocab help you remember the kanji.

I ignore the radicals and mnemonics, having kanji and vocab together is much more helpful.
>>
>>71572459
how long have you been studying?
>>
>finally finished 400 card vocab set for non non biyori, episode 1
Should I watch the whole thing in one go or take periodic stops to fully understand everything?
>>
>>71581216
Around 2y by now
>>
>>71572459
goals
>>
i really into terrace house but I've watched everything on netflix. where do I find the previous seasons?
Don't have to be subtitled, I don't mind only understanding 30-40%. But my japanese is too limited to look for japanese streaming sites myself
>>
>>71581914
I'm watching some shows on this site
https://www.viki.com/explore?country=japan&type=series&sort=latest&language=ja
You have to pay for some shit, but some others are free and have Japanese subs.
Literally just started with https://www.viki.com/videos/1082435v-painless-the-eyes-for-signs-episode-1

Also this show has Japanese subs on youtube (just ignore the chinese)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSSBVEFwDc&t=534s

If anyone has some tipps for drama with Japanese subs, please share
>>
>>71582055
ha I watched that just when I started taking lessons!

viki looks nice but it doesn't have TERRACE HOUSE :(((((
>>
>>71581250
Try to (almost) fully understand everything, but also listen to advanced japanesepod casts or watch variety shows or something with minimal pausing for extensive listening.
>>
>お陰様で娘のタツも元気になりまして…
What mean タツ?
>>
>>71581250
The former, then the latter if you can be bothered.
>>
>>71584730
Whats the context?
Is it some Futa shit?
>>
>>71585577
Mother thanks doctor.
>>
>>71585714
Is it some kind of 獣医?
>>
>>71586320
There is not Futa shit, man.
All about children's doctor.
>>
that is supposed to be the speaker's daughter called Tastu
>>
>>71574527
>同人誌
>magazine published by fans
>publication aimed at a particular hobby group
>publication sold directly
So that's what it really is...
>>
>>71586812
It makes sense.
>>
>>71581250
>finally finished 400 card vocab set for non non biyori, episode 1
Wait what? This is a thing? Is there one for other anime and other episodes? Are they accurate too?
>>
File: clap.gif (114KB, 354x407px) Image search: [Google]
clap.gif
114KB, 354x407px
>>71573258
I'm >>71551190 and >>71552633 and the mindset part perfectly describes what I needed to learn Japanese.

The method is just bread and butter, things you'd find in our guide, but yeah, nothing miraculous and not a scam either. Stick with it if you've identified with the methods and rewards proposed. Just don't expect to be "fluent in 3 months" as the URL implies.
>>
File: 1470856122855.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470856122855.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
How much time do you spend on reading, listening practice, vocab and kanji studying etc. everyday?

People told me that I'll need a century to become somewhat proficient at my current pace, so I want to use my time better from now on.
>>
Any pro tips for a soon-to-be exchange student?
>>
>>71588316
So why are you becoming an exchange student
I'm a tad jealous to be honest
My school days were boring
>>
>>71588193
When you're immersed in Japanese, I think you read almost every single day.

Listening pretty much 24/7 if music is so to count.

Vocab and Kanji studying is probably 1 or 2 hours a day. Maybe even 30 minutes.

What could your pace possibly be that you're so slow? One hiragana a day?
>>
>>71588193
An hour of anki, 1-3 hours reading a VN depending on how much free time I get, then probably an hour of reading youtsuba in bed because I'm 下手くそ at going to sleep.
>>
>>71588193
hour of anki, 2 chapters of manga in the morning, handwritten radical deck + hour of reading after dinner
couple pages of imabi or tk before bed, but thats also done sometimes during reading
>>
File: gokuu.png (390KB, 639x476px) Image search: [Google]
gokuu.png
390KB, 639x476px
Cute anime girl doing kanken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO84fleR5x8
>>
>>71589739
Hey, this girl is cute.
>>
>>71588350
Well it is once in a life time chance for me, so I asked myself why not. I get to live and study in a foreign country for a year and learn the local culture, language and so on.
Only downside is that my education and conscription is going to be delayed by one year which does not really bother me.
>>
File: 1486408774698.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486408774698.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
>不動産屋
>Real estate agent
Is this really one of the 2000 most used kanji?
>>
>>71590353
Maybe if you don't live with your parents.
>>
>>71590353
of course not man its just the room where they deliver statues :^)
>>
>>71590205
I'm jelly man. Last December a Danish girl came over to my country, I met her at a hotel I was staying on in the beach. She was taking part on some sort of exchange program where they are sent for a year to another country. Do you guys have a similar system?
>>
>>71576088
Not ロ, 口 (くち).
>>
>>71590353
That is four different kanji, all of which are among the top 2000, yes
>>
>>71567433
English can use a formal topic with the same syntax used to tag the second person.

Dictionaries, Webster is good.

This syntax is used very often in technical writing and documentation where clarity and brevity is key.
>>
>>71590353
Not related to your post, but learning that word was pretty fun to me because "real estate" is called "imóvel" in Portuguese, which literally means "something/product that does not move"(不動産)
>>
Name + に許しももらったし
It's mean "received permission"?
>>
>>71591594
Same in german with "Immobilie", probably because both words are derived from latin "im-mobilis"
>>
>>71591157
Sounds like a pretty standard exchange program.
>>
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
>>
>>71589739
https://twitter.com/aichan_nel
hmm i didnt know this grill.... bretty qt desu
>>
>>71592115
>Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.
Proof?
>>
>>71592045
>tfw Argentina doesn't have that program and will never have that program because of the retarded, uninformed cunts who make up our voting base
I guarantee, if such a system was ever proposed, people will start whining that it will be a free pass for teenagers to waste an year or some shit, as if people didn't inherently enjoy learning languages.
>>
>>71592199
Perhaps you should try googling or reading famous quotes. You'll never learn Japanese without putting a lot of hard work in, after all.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/101882.Calvin_Coolidge
>>
>>71592488
>John Calvin Coolidge, Jr. was the thirtieth President of the United States (1923–1929)
What the fuck? Literally who?
>>
>>71592488
>Memorizing random quotes to drop spaghetti into everyday conversations
Why would you do this?
>>
>>71592199
There is none; this is all just unscientific rhetoric spouted to encourage lazy people. In reality, there are just as many people who try hard and don't succeed.

You see it best in schools and unis, it's not like the people getting As really put that much more effort in than the Cs, they're just naturally more apt at the requirements for the subject. I've seen people study diligently throughout weekends and put in enormous amounts of effort, and I've seen people do the bare minimum of attendance and participation, and while there's an obvious correlation between hard work and success, there's plenty of the latter who'll do the better than the former. Talent is always more important.
>>
File: 69228.gif (372KB, 300x291px) Image search: [Google]
69228.gif
372KB, 300x291px
>>71588193
- 1 hour of Anki;
- About 20 minutes in Duolingo;
- 60 pages of a manga (minimum), which takes about 1 hour.
- 1 anime episode almost every day (some days I watch Western stuff instead).

That's about it. I'm estimating 2 years to be able to communicate, 3 years to be advanced enough to say "I know Japanese".
>>
>>71593001
>I'm estimating 2 years to be able to communicate
But it only takes like a day to be able to communicate.
>>
>>71591690
yep, "got permission" is good too
>>
>>71593001
>Duolingo
Thanks anon, never knew that they had nip.
>>
>>71593153
I mean having enough grammar and vocabulary that I don't need to pause every other sentence and keep uhhhhhing and mmmmming before I can get the point across.

And with advanced I mean something like my current English, where mistakes are mostly those native nitpicks (in/on/at, phrasal verbs and some weird word choices).

>>71593282
They don't (yet), but you can do the "English for Japanese speakers" course. It's practically the same thing, just lacks the pronunciation exercises.
>>
>>71592865
Effort isn't necessarily equal to time spent, or even the level of stress displayed.
>>
File: 59447155.jpg (107KB, 464x600px) Image search: [Google]
59447155.jpg
107KB, 464x600px
For people that have played Pokemon Sun, how come she talks so weirdly compared to all of the other people? She's far too polite!
>>
>>71594290
>Effort isn't necessarily equal to time spent, or even the level of stress displayed.
How do you explain this to people?
>>
>>71594290
How else do you measure it? By results? Because that's completely circular logic. "This person did better, therefore they must have worked harder."
>>
>あなたのおちんちんは大きすぎる

She says this to you.

wat do?
>>
>>71595022
Tell her どこ見てんの?ちんちんなんかついてないよ?
>>
>>71595022
What exactly does 大き mean?
>>
>>71592865
Some people study in the wrong way. I was one of these "effortless As" who eventually became a "effortless Cs" when I stopped giving a fuck.

On the other hand, there was a really diligent girl in my classe who was a hardworking B and kept being a hardworking B to the end.

The problem is she depended on formulas and memorizing information, while I understood the concept and properly learned it.

That's where interdisciplinarity goes, she knew nothing about the world outside of school so she didn't have the "nerd street smarts" to connect the dots.
>>
>>71595364
大きい+すぎる=大きすぎる
>>
>>71595373
What is this "world outside of school"?
>>
big+too=too big
your cock is too big!!!!
>>
>>71596098
No Japan that's not how English works
big+too=big too
>>
>>71596761
Pls no bully Japan.
>>
>>71596074
Speaking as a teenager, I read a lot of books, watched scientific programs like Beakman and documentaries, movie making-ofs, I had a lot of cultural baggage as well because of movies and cartoons.

She, on the other hand, was pretty much void of content, only low ghetto culture and maybe some church stuff.

At least I always linked my performance to my curiosity/knowledge as a kid.
>>
>>71588316
buy a tv
actively look for ways to get japanese friends because most activities with mixed exchange and japanese students don't work well for that. don't be picky with age range because as long as they're not horrible to talk to, it's good conversation practice and you can learn things you wouldn't otherwise.

it's probably too late now but for anyone who is considering exchange study later, if your university has a buddy system for incoming exchange students, try to become a buddy to japanese students. i have friends all over japan thanks to that and some who still live in my city.
>>
File: 20160308062.jpg (80KB, 693x886px) Image search: [Google]
20160308062.jpg
80KB, 693x886px
>>71591473
thanks
I learned it.
I feel that the particle "は" resembles English "as for""
>>
>>71597778
Yep, that's pretty much what most grammar guides define it as. At least Tae Kim does.
>>
Can anyone explain to me the difference between「ありがとうございます」and「ありがとうございました」?
>>
>>71598970
>した
Thanking someone for something that has already been done and is totally completed.
>>
>>71599087
Can you give me an example situation? For example, if I asked someone to drive me home, I'd say "masu" if I thank him before we get on the car, but once I'm home, it'd me "mashita", right?
>>
>>71599405
Yes, that's about right.
>>
>>71599625
I see, thank you.
>>
File: 1464890147321.jpg (7KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1464890147321.jpg
7KB, 250x187px
>Look up word I don't know in a dictionary
>Dictionary definition never helps me understand how the word is used in the sentence
I don't get it. Maybe I'm fucking retarded. Maybe it will get easier when I'm more acquainted with Japanese grammar and sentence structure. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it.
>>
>>71600667
dictionaries are for japanese learners of english. of course they don't tell you how the japanese word is used.
>>
File: 1471916690233.gif (163KB, 479x635px) Image search: [Google]
1471916690233.gif
163KB, 479x635px
>>71600803
Then why the heck do I have Rikaisama installed?
>>
>>71600833
great question.
>>
File: 1465599915531.jpg (145KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1465599915531.jpg
145KB, 1252x1252px
>>71601026
So how the HECK am I gonna learn new vocab?
>>
>>71600667
Don't be afraid of being retarded. my dictionary is useless too when I don't even understand shit like the following sentence.

Examine language; what, if you except some few primitive elements (of natural sound), what is it all but Metaphors, recognized as such, or no longer recognized?
>>
>>71601166
Where did you get that from sentence from?
>>
File: 1435561855753.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1435561855753.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>71601166
I feel like I'd be better off ignoring dictionaries entirely, but aside from others telling me what words mean I don't know how I'd acquire new vocabulary.
>>
File: 1358307804867.png (233KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1358307804867.png
233KB, 500x500px
have any of you done homestay as adult in japan? I'm 29 and pretty interested. I feel like it would be a good think but want anon's input.
>>
File: rapture_20170225153947.png (97KB, 408x619px) Image search: [Google]
rapture_20170225153947.png
97KB, 408x619px
>>71601283
a book for those who can't well handle something trivial for native speakers of English to learn.
>>
>>71601530
English was very different 300 years ago.
>>
>>71588652
>What could your pace possibly be that you're so slow? One hiragana a day?
Not that bad, I did 2 hours of anki and 1 hour reading, but my retention is poor so I think I waste one of the 2 hours on anki everyday due to tons of reviews, I don't know how to fix this though.

>>71588652
>>71588965
>>71589248
>>71593001
Thank you for the replies, it looks like I'm not that far behind, at least when it comes to studying time, now I just need to become more efficient I guess.

I think anki is my biggest problem, I waste too much time on it and can't concentrate after 300 cards but I usually get 400-500 reviews so yeah shit sucks.
I work nightshifts regularly which seem to fuck me up a lot, I'm tired all the time no matter how much I sleep to make up for it, I'm hell of a lot better when I have a few days off.

Didn't mean to blogpost, but I guess explaining why my retention is so fucking shit makes sense here.
>>
File: [email protected] (23KB, 494x232px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2017-02-25@16-23-58.png
23KB, 494x232px
>>71601585
>concentrate after 300 cards but I usually get 400-500 reviews so yeah shit sucks.
best thing i did was just fail it if it was taking too long
>>
>>71602570
>86% correct
Not even failing apparently.
>>
>>71602674
yeah i dunno after a while it seemed like the kanji weren't new they're just in a different arrangement and describing something else, helped me to focus on the reading rather than the meaning
>>
Is it a bad idea to have both recognition and production cards?

I feel like they help me a lot but aren't worth double the time compared to just recognition.

Does anyone else do both?
>>
>>71602713
For a vocabulary deck, you're right that it's a waste of time. Even more than that, it's actually impossible to make production cards with any kind of integrity.
>>
>>71558019
nice!
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 485x2708px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 485x2708px
rate me lads
>>
>>71602807
>Even more than that, it's actually impossible to make production cards with any kind of integrity.
Yeah, that's been the worst part for me. How am I supposed to correctly produce between 下りる and 下る and some of the the other 下-verbs with three word English definitions?

I guess I'll delete the card type and lower my new cards so I don't get overwhelmed.
>>
>>71547365
きつねさんに化かされたい!
第1~4巻

https://mega.nz/#F!xdoAWK5S!0lRDE2UKFi6M6MyyPF1Pgw
>>
core6k is SOOOO long :(
>>
>>71603391
Funny thing is when you finish it, you realize it wasn't all that long after all.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (33KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
33KB, 396x385px
HOW DO I GET FUCKING MORAS DOWN

apparently my pronunciation is good but I still sound like a baka gaijin because I put at least two morae for each kana and honestly would have never guessed hadn't I been told (I swear I sound like chinese cartoons).
>>
Are there any anons here who lurk, post, etc. in the Japanese thread on /jp/? This one, in case /jp/ has a bunch of different Japanese threads:
>>>/jp/16623919
I've sort of got into a habit of popping into /int/ in these threads to dump manga rips and series not in the CoR, how do you think posting them in the /jp/ thread would be received?
Also, since it really only just occurred to me, do you guys mind if I keep dumping them here? If it comes across as a bit spammy I could always do it as more of a once a week type affair.
>>
>>71604168
I think you should submit them to the CoR through the feedback form. I appreciate the posts but yeah, maybe you should post once every few days saying "hi, I added such and such series to the CoR".
>>
File: 1484967967063.png (68KB, 421x248px) Image search: [Google]
1484967967063.png
68KB, 421x248px
>>71604045
>Funny thing
>>
>>71604168
I thought you were CoR anon and adding them as you go? If not then yes please make sure you submit them there as he doesn't check the threads always and I'd hate for the links to get lost.
And yes the /jp/ thread would welcome them as well.
>>
>>71604168
I didn't even know there was one at /jp/
>>
>>71602866
I asked you to rate me four hours ago and you just said no
That's pretty shitty djt you're like my fuckin idol
>>
>>71604449
they're very nice kanjos
>>
File: thank you.jpg (585KB, 1280x1301px) Image search: [Google]
thank you.jpg
585KB, 1280x1301px
>>71604496
thats ALL I wanted to hear
was it so hard??
>>
>>71604514
天ぷらをあげるから、泣かないで
>>
>>71604045
how many new cards/day did you do and how long did it take?

I have other decks on the go so I'm only doing 10 new cards a day, only 4 more years to go lmao
>>
>>71605634
oh there's 30k cards actually, add another 4 years on that, going to kms
>>
Is it just me or anybody else think that conjugating things such as 離れる in potential form a pain in conversations?
離れられる is a tongue twister in itself.
>>
>>71606935
Yeah, I always wondered why they never seem to abbreviate the られる forms even when everything else gets totally butchered.
>>
File: file.png (18KB, 606x320px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
18KB, 606x320px
explain please
>>
>>71608405
nevermind
>>
>>71608405
What do you need to know?
>>
>>71601530
Don't worry, not even I understand what that sentence says.
>>
>>71604157
What are you talking about? Is it something I should worry about?
>>
>>71588316
>tfw u will never be exchange student in nippon
>>
>>71609916
It's never too late... right?
>>
>>71588316
be careful about cellphones

I was a student way back in 2009 and I don't know if things changed since then, but I was lazy and went with some default plan offered through the program and they jewed the FUCK out me

cellphone companies here are Jewish as hell to begin with, but they're especially underhanded with foreigners
>>
>おいしいモンでお腹ポンポンにして怖い思いなんかふっ飛ばしちまおな?
I'm finally misunderstand this sentence, can anyone translate?
>>
>>71611373
stuffing your stomach with delilcious things will blow away the bad/scary thoughts, right

somethig like this
>>
Hey, one question here if you don't mind. In Japanese can you use transitive verbs without an object, like such:

日本で読むのは問題じゃないけど、 日本語で読むのは少々問題だ。
Reading in Japan is not a problem, but reading IN Japanese is a small one.
?
Or do you have to make 日本語 an object? And in the first clause it doesn't have an object...is it alright?
>>
>>71612872
Yeah, you can.
>>
高すぎて買えませんでした。

I saw this and I think it means
"(It is) too expensive, (I) wasn't able to buy (it)."
When forming a "reason clause" without using markers such as ので, から and し, is it common to connect two phrases using て forms?
If for example, the thing is not too expensive but still expensive nonetheless, is 高くて買えませんでした a valid sentence?
>>
>>71613952
yea it's fine
>>
File: Sumomo.jpg (18KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sumomo.jpg
18KB, 333x500px
>>71604157
Record Vocaroo.

They are probably hearing "two" mora because of palatalization, pronouncing the "ka" like "kya", for instance. Which is pretty commonplace with English speakers.

>>71604168
I think you should keep posting, I always look at the cover to decide whether or not to download and have picked some like that, I'm sure some lurkers are doing the same and wouldn't if they had to look at a written list of titles added to the guide, like other Brazilanon suggested.

As for /jp/, they don't like anything, so if you do it they will complain, but that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't post it over there. It all depends if the sperg jannie will allow you to. Check the lunar map if you want to guess his will of the week.

>>71604449
Nobody said no. That's slander.

>>71605634
>4 years to go
Core6k takes 10 months, so it couldn't be over 2 years, you're doing it wrong.

>>71606249
Now that's more like it. 30k = 3000 days, or 8 years. Nobody does Core30k, stick with 10k TOPS and use the Core30k one to mine words if you're too lazy to make your own cards or if you want to look for a specific kanji to learn that is included in the deck.
>>
File: 88378_20160328174658267.jpg (251KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
88378_20160328174658267.jpg
251KB, 960x960px
>>71613952
「て」は、順接の接続助詞
だから、
高すぎて買えませんでした; it was too expensive , and i could not buy it
高すぎたので買えませんでした; it was too expensive , so i could not buy it
高すきだから買えませんでした; because it was too expensive, i could not buy it

これに対して
高すぎたから
>>
Please translate

ベトナムの民俗衣装のアオザイです
(ユリウスたちによって下は省かれました)
>>
>>71604449
He wants to be just like you, man, he likes you more than I do
I ain't that mad though, just don't like bein' lied to...
>>
File: visual-arisa.png (94KB, 620x1342px) Image search: [Google]
visual-arisa.png
94KB, 620x1342px
>>71615472
なんか
AKIBA'S TRIP
に、謎のフィランド人が出ている
>ベトナムの民俗衣装のアオザイです
>(ユリウスたちによって下は省かれました)
It is Ao Dai, Vietnamese folk clothes.
The under (maybe the bottom) was omitted by Julius and his fellows.
>>
>>71616033

Thank you
>>
File: avatar_807_1450440980.png (33KB, 160x119px) Image search: [Google]
33KB, 160x119px
>552 - 県 - Prefecture - A small, one-eyed, hook-hand pirate wants to run Kanto Prefecture
>553 - 栃 - Horsechestnut Tree - Tree on a cliff, 1000 feet tall, 1000 horse chestnuts growing
>554 - 地 - Ground - The famous Soil Scorpion...Ground
>555 - 池 - Pond - The famous Water Scorpion lives in a pond of poison
>556 - 虫 - Bug - Pictograph - Wings and head
>557 - 蛍 - Electric bug - Pikachu was everyone's favorite electric bug at school
>558 - 蛇 - Snake - Reptile house, feeding bugs on spoon to a snake
>559 - 虹 - Rainbow - Rodney the raft bug, on his water craft, finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
>560 - 蝶 - Butterfly - Bug who regenerates up in a tree is a butterfly
>561 - 独 - Single - A single man is a wild dog on the dancefloor, bugging out from his loneliness
>562 - 蚕 - Silkworm - The silkworm is a bug that descended from heaven to give mankind silk

Heisig is fun...
>>
>>71616439
You almost made me read one of them.
Mnemonics are cringy as fuck, I can't bear it.
>>
>>71588193
>1 hour of kanji study using Heisig and Memrise every day
>1 hour of listening/grammar practice dependent on free time every day
>1 hour a week in a language class

Any time I can find, I try reading manga, translating little things online and learning vocab, but I only get so much time to do it.
>>
>>71616439
Did you come up with those?
>>71616526
90% of my mnemonics are cancer, I'd kill myself before having to tell other peoplw about them.
>>
>>71616887
Stop kanji study and use that hour for reading instead, you won't regret it. You can always go back and find mnemonics for when a word comes round that you find really difficult to remember.
>>
File: 1436990909264.jpg (99KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
1436990909264.jpg
99KB, 850x638px
>>71601585
>2 hours of Anki
>400-500 reviews
Shit nigga. Maybe you should cut your new cards a day in half and do some other sort of study with that time.

If you're failing your cards because of kanji and their meanings being foggy, try some RTK study+deck, or study some radicals on your own if recognizing the kanji is the worst part. Maybe there's a gap on your fundamentals you could close.

If it's just about readings, then I don't know what to say, playing VNs or watching subbed shit would probably be the best, since there would be text associated with sounds.

You should also try some shadowing or at least repeating the example sentences during Anki reviews to start building a more reliable audio memory.

>Didn't mean to blogpost
This is not /jp/, take it easy.

>>71617594
Thing is people love mnemonics, school was hard because everyone was having fun with them and I just wanted to Pumped up kicks the hell of that crap,
>>
>見世物小屋なんて子どもだけで行ったらしかられるよ
In this sentence saying something like "Children not admitted"?
>>
File: Снимок.jpg (42KB, 766x403px) Image search: [Google]
Снимок.jpg
42KB, 766x403px
What does 血を持つ mean here?
>>
>>71617863
>>71618241
hello
>>
>>71618241
Oх лoл, oни дyмaют, чтo мы 1 чeлoвeк.
>>
>>71618456
long time no see
>>
please enlighten me

>気がるいのにはワケがある

can anyone kindly translate this
i know that ワケがある is something like there is a reason? but i dont know if thats the case
>>
>>71617863
You'll get scolded if you kids go in to the show tent.

>>71618241
Sometimes you need to spill blood to change the world or else it won't move forwards.

>>71618903
Yes, you're correct. There's a reason he/she/I is so cheerful.
>>
>>71619307
I see, thanks. What do you think that would be a good translation for that entire phrase?
>>
Can someone explain the difference between the N-sound used in ん and the one used in な? For example, what's the difference between れんあい and れない?

If a Japanon could record himself pronouncing the two (Doubtful because it's 3:30 AM in Japan) it would be appreciated.
>>
>>71620155
ren-ai
vs.
renai
>>
>>71620278
Yes, kind of figured, but is there a difference in pronounciation? I feel there has to be, because no matter how I try, I can't correctly separate the sylables. It ends up sounding more like re-nai.
>>
>>71618903

気軽いの might be more like "what I feel free" or "beeing feeling free" or "the fact that I feel free".

気 in 気軽い means "feeling".
軽い means "light" opposed to "heavey".
>>
>>71620571
oh, so that was it

then the character is actually saying "even though I'm [feeling] free, for some reason..."
>>
>>71620836
Where do you get "even though" from? The のに is nominalizer + location particle に connected to ある.
>>
>>71620946
you just answered it
>>
>>71620506

mouth closed
make a sound from nose

might be a bit similar to a noise of growl
or
might be "uhm"
>>
>>71620836
気軽いのには訳がある means "there is a reason why I feel free."

気軽い : feel free
の is like relative pronoun so "why"
に is similar to "to" in this case.
は stands for the subject of the sentence
訳がある : there is a reason
>>
>>71621077
Wait, but if I close my mouth, it sounds more like an M.
>>
>>71619307
>Sometimes you need to spill blood to change the world or else it won't move forwards.
This much I figured myself. I just see no grammar in this expression.
>>
>>71621417
correction

に might be similar to "on" in this case.
like sort of stands for "particular place/point"

with には, emphasize the subject
>>
>>71621579
yeah , probably that is it.
>>
File: Fuck off we're full.png (17KB, 389x87px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck off we're full.png
17KB, 389x87px
What did Genki mean by this?
>>
>>71622141
Would you want to live in Japan?

Prices are high and there are lots of people , so I don't want to live.
>>
>>71622412
>Prices are high and there are lots of people , so I don't want to live.
物価が高いし、人がたくさんいるし、生きたくないです
liveにthereを加えないと意味が変わるな
>>
>>71622412
>I don't want to live
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>71621759
thanks, now I understand

on a side note, what is 逆気され?
>>
>>71622884
forget it, i didn't see well the kanji because it was too small

enough japanese for today, good day lads
>>
>>71622825
Oh, thanks for correction.

I didn't know that.
thanks.
>>
>>71623047
Adios amigo
>>
>>71622412
「what did x mean by this」のようなポストを無視すべきじゃないかなと思う
殆どは冗談なんだからね
>>
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%81%AA%E3%81%95%E3%81%84
>This is stronger than a simple request, and is considered somewhat informal. This may be used as a way of issuing a command, such as a teacher prompting a student to pay attention, or a parent scolding a child.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%81%8A%E4%BC%91%E3%81%BF%E3%81%AA%E3%81%95%E3%81%84#Japanese
> + なさい (nasai, polite imperative, from verb 為さる nasaru, an honorific replacement for する suru, “to do”).

So is なさい polite or is it only used when talking down or what?
>>
Are あんまり and あまり completely interchangeable?
>>
>>71625297
Yeah. It's much like how people say にっぽん and にほん. Both are correct.
>>
>>71625773
Meant to say both have the same meaning.
>>
>>71620155
N is a "syllable" just like all other kanas.

https://forvo.com/search/恋愛/
https://forvo.com/word/いない/#ja

In case it's too shitty, you can try and trust my Macaco accent:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1bloCTGjL63
>>
>>71621666
を持って means "by means of" in this sentence.
>>
>>71547839
I downloaded this app but when I use it I get a grid with no kanji on it. Anyone know how to fix this??
>>
>>71626917
That's strange. My dictionary says only 以-character can be used in this case.
Can this be a misprint (incorrectly chosen character)?
>>
Do you mine shit like 嗤う?
>>
File: asdf.png (177KB, 483x3298px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
177KB, 483x3298px
Cool
>>
File: asd.png (157KB, 483x2709px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
157KB, 483x2709px
>>71627905
Nice
>>
>>71627809
I only look up the meaning of words/kanji that I've actually seen in context, unless the dictionary explicitly states that it's used "commonly." Otherwise it might as well not exist if it's literally never used, even in archaisms
>>
>>71628313
Yeah I meant mining as in mining shit that you find while reading
>>
>>71628400
Oh of course. I'm trying (barely) to read 風立ちぬ and that kind of shit comes up all the time. Kind of annoying but I find that the more archaic kanji look the most aesthetic.
>>
File: IMG_20170225_144858.jpg (1MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170225_144858.jpg
1MB, 2160x3840px
A nice pen makes doing the daily Anki just a little bit more enjoyable.
>>
>>71628845
580?
>>
>>71628915
Eco with a fine nib, just got it a couple days ago. Before that I'd been alternating between a M Lamy Vista and a F Metropolitan
>>
>>71628845
Then I advice you get one, these shitty fountain pens grit my gears with that paper scraping feeling/noise, it's like like a micro-scale blackboard being scratched every few seconds.
>>
>>71628845
I find fountain pens to be least suitable for kanji writing. So I'm using gel ball pens for the task.
>>
>>71628845
>perfectly horizontal first stroke on 言
書き直せ!
>>
>>71629021
>Eco with a fine nib
How's the feathering? And is that regular line paper? Doesn't look bad at all from that image but that might be the lighting.
>>
>>71629029
Maybe you got one with a bad nib? TWSBI isn't known for their quality control, but mine is alright.
>>
>>71629107
Oh no, it's the type of pen, not the brand. Never got one that didn't SCRATCH SCRATCH KILL YOUR PARENTS.
>>
File: rhodia2.jpg (34KB, 700x555px) Image search: [Google]
rhodia2.jpg
34KB, 700x555px
>>71629145
Get yourself some smoother paper
>>
>>71628845
That still looks pretty shitty
>>
>>71629099
Feathering depends on the paper, not the pen.

>>71629145
Ah, so you've never used a good fountain pen. None of mine are scratchy. The Problem could also be your inks, nicer inks are more lubricated and smoother to write with.

>>71629245
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I enjoy it

>>71629229
I'd buy Rhodia if it weren't $20 per pad. I've owned one before and I decided it wasn't worth it. I do have a packet of white Tomoe River in my drawer, though.
>>
Can ikasama be used in the context of cheating on her with other girls? Is she telling him to not cheat on her?
>>
>>71629229
>>71629319
Are you totally entirely sure this is not normal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0

I also get literally triggered by markers, that not only scratch, but sometimes squeak:
https://youtu.be/PpYY0PUJVwk?t=134
(Sorry, this aidetic uptalker is the only example I could find and has no squeaks).
>>
>>71630893
I don't know about you anon but I found that video extremely relaxing. Anyway every fountain pen I've ever had never scratched loud enough to annoy me or even be particularly audible more than likely you were using paper that made the scratching worse.
>>
>tfw anki is waiting for your after learning 6 hours straight for your exams
>tfw this has been going on for almost an entire month
The only positive thing is that I can study nip 6 hours a day after the exams are over.
>>
>>71632134
>>71632134
>>71632134
>>71632134
新しいスレ
>>
>>71624159
なさい is a gentler way of giving a command, but usually used when the speaker is in a position of authority. なさる is polite language used to show respect for the listener.

部屋を掃除しなさい is talking down.
お食事は何時ごろになさいますか is polite.
>>
>>71628845
It's a nice pen, but be careful of your strokes on kanji such as 込、向、牛、眠, etc.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.