[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 39

File: shit was so free.png (93KB, 242x251px) Image search: [Google]
shit was so free.png
93KB, 242x251px
Hey Faggots,
My name is rms, and this is /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread: >>61918231
>>
why does it take so much time to install gentoo?
>>
File: Selection_001.png (225KB, 1698x976px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_001.png
225KB, 1698x976px
How do I fix fontrendering so that it doesn't look like this? I've seen this in Krita and KeePass.
>>
Has anyone used Solus? If yes, what are your thoughts? I'm considering making it my primary distro.
>>
>>61932346

It's not font rendering, you just chose a shitty font. Set your fonts (I set mine for GTK programs and then make Qt use GTK settings).
>>
>>61932389

>he has a primary distribution
>he has a secondary distribution
>he doesn't know what a distribution is
>he doesn't mention things he dislikes with his current distribution
>he just blindly asks stupid questions and take the first answer he gets that reinforces his beliefs

You struck a lot of idiotic things with your post. Congratulations, you are a top idiot.
>>
>>61932408
Thanks, sorry for being new, this helped me figure it out on my own with the help of your keywords.
>>
>>61932424
Thanks, sorry for being new, this helped me figure it out on my own with the help of your keywords.
>>
>>61932547
Fedora > solus
>>
What laptop offers the least troubleshooting with gentoo?
I'm indifferent between a thinkpad x201, a x220 and a dell xps13
>>
>>61932812
I think an x220 might be your best bet. Check out this based god:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDfpzQya14&t=406s

I know he's talking about an x200, but he has a comparison video between x200 and x220, which might be useful for you to make up your mind!
>>
How do I make the middle click + track-point scoll on my thinkpad in linux. The middle click registers, delete tabs etc, but holding it alongside movin' the track-point doesn't scroll.
>>
>>61933448
Why do you want such a strange behavior?
>>
I'm trying to decide which DE I should use for my new arch install.

What is /g/approved and what is a recommended WM? i3?
>>
>>61933383
I'm more interested in "which model will allow me to troubleshoot by copy paste".
Especially copy pasting a generic kernel config, get the network, video and sound working before I can effectively used the computer to watch cartoons and shitpost online.
Indeed there is a lot of resources for the x220 but the x201's 16:10 monitor makes me wish I'd get to get a nice monitor ratio while holding the possibility to be spoonfed on /flt/ threads.
>>
File: barbie.0.png (223KB, 557x549px) Image search: [Google]
barbie.0.png
223KB, 557x549px
Hi /fglt/.

I noticed that I don't use a lot of the swap partition I made for my distro, and I was considering reducing the size tremendously. I barely use, like, 500MiB worth of swap, and that's only really in the most dire of cases.

Is there any reason not to? I know that some distros make optimizations under the assumption that swap is 2*RAM, but is that really necessary, nowadays? Even for 8GBs of RAM? Or even half of the RAM size? That just seems like a waste of space.

I can't use a swapfile because btrfs doesn't support that feature.
>>
>>61933383

>he
Just say "I", you idiot. Everyone knows that it's you who's posting your videos.
>>
>>61933707
>I'm more interested in "which model will allow me to troubleshoot by copy paste".
I mean, that's pretty much every ThinkPad.

Beyond premade kernel configs, though, I don't think there's really all that many Gentoo issues that are distinctly hardware-related. Driver support is pretty much comparable on all GNU/Linux distros, because it really comes down to Linux itself.
>>
Does nouveau work well with a GTX 950? I'm considering buying one and I don't want to mess with the proprietary nvidia driver ( getting it working is fucking hell sometimes, nouveau just werks in most cases )
>>
>>61933448

I use the libinput X driver and its "Button Scrolling Button" property.
>>
>>61933739
Luke might be a huge memelord, but he isn't dumb enough to make a comment as conspicuous as that.
>>
>>61933731

You can swap on video ram if you don't need a lot of swap. Also consider using zswap.
>>
>>61933731
2*ram is a very old recommendation, from back when it was normal to use more memory than you actually had in order to run several things at a time
if you never run out of physical ram, you only need swap if you're using hibernation, and if you don't use that either, you don't need swap space at all
>>
>>61933731
The RAM*2 rule is from back when computers barely had any memory, but a fair bit of extra disk space. Nowadays you only need RAM*1 at the very most in case you want your machine to hibernate. Otherwise RAM/2 should be fine.
>>
>>61933731
If you don't play games then with 8GB of ram you probably don't even need a swap at all.

And Linux can also do "swap files" on your main partition which dynamically scale, the equivalent of "pagefiles" on Windows. So you can still get a swap if you find you need one later without having to have a whole partition for it.
>>
>>61933795
>And Linux can also do "swap files" on your main partition which dynamically scale, the equivalent of "pagefiles" on Windows. So you can still get a swap if you find you need one later without having to have a whole partition for it.
he said he uses btrfs, which doesn't support swap files (swap files require direct io, which btrfs can't do)
>>
>>61933795
Btrfs allows that? AFAIK btrfs is incompatible with any swap file.
>>
>>61933814
you can work around it by making an image file, attaching it to a loop device, then making that a swap device
but i would recommend against that
>>
>>61933809
>>61933814
Oh I didn't know swapfile was filesystem dependent. I thought it was just a file that gets written to, no idea it was more special than that.

But anyways, can't hibernate actually just optionally dump to a file? without even needing a swap partition or a swapfile?
>>
>>61933749
even the network / sound?
If I recall, the wifi needs a special workaround to work with the intel card.
As for the sound, alsa has been a pain to configure on every machine I ever used.
>>
>>61933858
>But anyways, can't hibernate actually just optionally dump to a file? without even needing a swap partition or a swapfile?
don't see why not, haven't looked into it
>>
I fucked my computer by installing kubuntu over windows.

Seems I didn't configure it properly. On every second boot-up I get crashes (and crashes occur if I go to "sleep" mode).

Any protips on how I go about solving this?
>>
>>61933875
wait, that would mean the filesystem would need to be mounted r/w at the time of hibernation
maybe not so easy to do

in the case of a swap disk, the swap doesn't contain anything important, and is not a user volume, and for a swap file, that can be written to directly on the disk, without the filesystem itself being mounted (this is why btrfs can't do it, it can't create a file with a contiguous, immutable space which can be safely manipulated outside of the btrfs driver)
>>
>>61933889

Format hard drive. Reinstall properly.
>>
>>61933889
install arch
>>
>>61934013

That might work. With a shell access, you can debug the xorg problems. And that works in almost all cases. I've seen only one case, when it actually worked, but you couldn't see it because the backlight didn't work well.
>>
>>61930299
Just bought an intuos draw CTL-490

Are there drivers for this? I need to remap the tablet area because my screen is square-ish.
>>
File: 1457193172507.jpg (13KB, 250x248px) Image search: [Google]
1457193172507.jpg
13KB, 250x248px
>cat file | grep pattern
I do it all the time and I hate myself for it.
What stupid shit do you do without thinking about it, /g/?
>>
>>61934766
What does it do? I'm new.
>>
>>61934766
cat file | more
>>
>>61934778
Shit. I do this a lot too.
>>
>>61934776
It's pointless.
grep "pattern" file
>>
>>61934766
I don't do it myself anymore, but it's pretty popular for some reason:
grep something | awk '{ print $2 }'

which can be done all with awk alone:
awk '/something/ { print $2 }'
>>
>>61934766
I still type "cd directory", meanwhile the autocd option is enabled since years. I guess its muscle memory.
>>
>>61934766
i often forget
-o file
when using curl
>>
>>61934938
just use >
>>
I have a 1tb HDD where my current system is and a smaller SSD with nothing on it where I want to install a certain distro. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to install it from within my current system, without having to boot into the live usb?
2. If I did install it like that, would the installations be able to share a partition? (/home partition)
3. If one of them is using BIOS and the other UEFI, would there be a problem or is it just a matter of switching boot order?
>>
File: 1479945888623.jpg (25KB, 480x204px) Image search: [Google]
1479945888623.jpg
25KB, 480x204px
>>61935025
or just wget
>>
>>61935353
>1. Is it possible to install it from within my current system, without having to boot into the live usb?
Yes. Install pacstrap and help yourself.
>2. If I did install it like that, would the installations be able to share a partition? (/home partition)
Yes.
>3. If one of them is using BIOS and the other UEFI, would there be a problem or is it just a matter of switching boot order?
Dunno.
>>
Anyone actually tried NixOS or GuixSD here?
When you set it up the first time, does it create a minimal base system and then you can run the config file you create?

How much does it install at the start? Does it install a DE by default? What default settings does it use? How do you get it to remove shit you might not want?
>>
File: kazak.jpg (230KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
kazak.jpg
230KB, 1920x1440px
I miss using GNU/Linux.
>>
>>61936618
What are you usin now? busybox/othernongnustuf/linux or bsd?
>>
Hey guys, I'm new to Linux and have Q.

Is Arch Linux the distribution that lets you use a terminal to do tasks?
>>
>>61936973
All of them
>>
I recently broke a CentOS installation due to my stupidity and root access. Whats a good way to make sure a linux novice like myself doesn't break a linux installation? Is there an easy way to create backups that can be reloaded without any trouble?
>>
>>61937043
Give your root password to an experienced sys admin so you cant do stupid shit again
>backups
Yes, but i doubt you'd be able to manage it without fucking it up
>>
>>61936992
No ubuntu try to prevent terminal usage.
>>
>>61936973
Distros are just projects to prepackage the software for end use. It's still the same GNU/Linux in every distro.

You can use the command line in any of them. All "easy" distros come with a terminal emulator, which is like Command Prompt but not shit.

http://guide.bash.academy/
>>
>>61937076
Well the sys admins do have root, but the hosting provider im using charges extra for installing certain software, such as openVPN which I had to install manually. I'm not a complete retard when it comes to linux, so whats a good way to backup CentOS so I can request a rollback if needed?
>>
>>61937079
Thank you for the information, that's very helpful with my understanding. It seems the case is that the only difference is the package managers and software versions depending on release model? Apologies for my poor English.
>>
File: systemd.png (52KB, 734x953px) Image search: [Google]
systemd.png
52KB, 734x953px
Why do people hate systemd for being bloated when you can literally disable everything you don't want to use?
>>
File: typical.png (4KB, 407x123px) Image search: [Google]
typical.png
4KB, 407x123px
>>61937476
Nothing should depend on init 1 (systemd)
The lead developer dosent understand basic computing,and is overal incompetent to the max degree.Its more then just the software at this point.Its too big to audit and even if you tried to audit it, its so fucked up it would take years with the constant mucking about on every part of the system

Go here for some comical relief and then realization that poettering dosent know what the fuck he is doing

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
>>
>>61937160
Pretty much spot on. Some distros apply their own patches to packages as well, but that's not something you'll really be concerned with until you're comfortable in the environment in general.
>>
>>61937509
>Nothing should depend on init 1
Why?
>>
>>61937586
wow, how did you make that your tripcode is a word? looks pretty cool to be honest
>>
>>61937586
Take a look at the referenced website

>>61937610
Wasting hundreds of hours crunching hashes
>>
>>61937586
forgot to ask: do these chinese(?) characters have a deeper meaning?
>>
>>61937621
Website is biased.
I was asking why you believed the pid 1 is bad bullshit.
>>
>>61937655
>biased
No shit, but it presents actual instances and encounters with the systemd dev team and more so poettering.

Why would you have say gnome depend on an init system?
Thats asinine

>"After udev is merged into the systemd tree you can still build it for usage outside of systemd systems, and we will support these builds officially. In fact, we will be supporting this for a long time"
">...this will effectively also mean that we will not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call."

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/17392
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
>>
>>61937655
>>61937586
Ever heard of reddit? Its a nice website for people who live circlejerking and identity.
>>
>>61933739
Just posted his video because I thought it would be helpful for anon. If I was Luke I wouldn't be stupid enough to self-promote, something that your miniscule sees-1-step-into-the-future mind can't comprehend.
>>
>>61937655
>I already know everything, don't show me a different pov, I know its wrong!
lel
>>
>>61937509
>replying to bait
>>
>baiting tripfag appears
>gets tons of replies
why
>>
>>61937692
Or you could just avoid the question about pid 1 and spout more dependency bullshit.

Dependencies are not inherently bad and neither is pid 1, its dogmatic anti-systemd drivel.
>>
>>61937732
Because /g/ is infested by a swarm of newfag redditors.
>>
>>61937736
You didnt read what i posted or what I linked.
Come back when you do
>>
File: t.cognitivedissonant.jpg (50KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
t.cognitivedissonant.jpg
50KB, 500x343px
>>61937793
It isn't that I didn't read what you wrote or linked, your opinions are just fucking retarded brainless bandwagon shit and when someone points that out you ignore them.

You can argue specific points and cite people all butthurt about how they think systemd should work but the fact is being pid 1 isn't bad, neither is dependency on systemd.
>>
File: pottBTFO.png (190KB, 1006x3447px) Image search: [Google]
pottBTFO.png
190KB, 1006x3447px
>>61937822
Come back when you do
>>
Systemd is not an init system. It's an alternative to diversity and flexibility.
>>
>>61937854
>You can argue specific points
Called it.
Come back when you can correlate your broad patently false dogmatic statements with actual reasoning.
>>
File: potBTFO2.png (708KB, 1024x3268px) Image search: [Google]
potBTFO2.png
708KB, 1024x3268px
>>61937870
Come back when you do
>>
>>61937822
>your opinions are wrong
>my opinions are right
>lets debate!
gtfo troll
>>
>>61937875
Believing that pid 1 or dependencies is bad is stupid and you could equate it with believing that Linux is bad for controlling pid one and all linux software is bad for depending on Linux.

It isn't a debate, its common sense to be able to see when someone is being deliberately ignorant.
>>
For anyone who is interested what the systemd fuzz is about, watch this Devuan presentation talk. It explains, without any NSA, botnet, poettering is gay etc. memes the real problematic with systemd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo
>>
>>61932090
It only takes three commands to install gentoo.
>>
>>61933514
That's how the ThinkPad trackpoint interface was designed to work. That's how every trackpoint interface works.
>>
>>61933448
Libinput appears to work like this by default.
>>
>>61936206
Your system is entirely determined by the config files. When you're installing it you're running off the tools on the CD.

You create the config files (there is a tool that automatically generates a basic config but you are advised to go through and edit it to your liking) and once you're satisfied you start the installation which completely builds the system according to your specifications.

>How much does it install at the start? Does it install a DE by default? What default settings does it use? How do you get it to remove shit you might not want?
The closest thing it has to a default DE (in NixOS, I haven't tried GuixSD) is that the auto-generated config file adds some KDE stuff. But like I said, you're encouraged to edit it, so if you just remove those lines and add your preferred DE/WM before you actually install the OS then none of the KDE stuff will ever get installed.

It does have default settings of course because it's a declarative system and everything has to be defined. So if a particular option is a boolean then it has to have an initial True/False value.
Most of the options are set to blank (e.g. either a blank string, a blank list, or set to False) and you enable or add to them what you want.
There are some cases where things default to True but they're usually very basic essentials, and if you don't like it you can just set them to False.

You remove stuff you don't want by removing/disabling it in your config files and rebuilding the system.
NOTE: Although this technically completely removes the software from your environment they are still preserved inside the "store" so you can easily rollback changes.
When you decide you actually want all old unused packages deleted you just run the garbage collector.
>>
File: dielinuxdie.jpg (239KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dielinuxdie.jpg
239KB, 640x480px
>>61937912
systemd hate is a slippery slope to self depreciation.
>>
Do we manually need to force ffmpeg to use multiple threads? I was encoding a mp3 to opus and it was holding 1 core (out of 4) at 100%. Is the libopus encoder just shit because a few days ago I was encoding avishit to h264 and it used all 4 cores at close to max, I was impressed
>>
>>61938059
>I was encoding a mp3 to opus
wtf are you doing, leave it like it is
you convert lossless to lossy
not lossy to lossless
not lossy to lossy
>>
>>61937912
The problem with systemd is not what a lot of people (including the person you are talking to) complain about. Dependencies are a stupid measure because FreeDesktop maintains udev which fucking everything depends on anyway.

The real threat systemd poses is that they are slowly providing more and more DBus APIs for core system functionality. Getting the time, setting up a process limit, setting the hostname, authenticating a user, etc. They're all becoming DBus services rather than library functions. And systemd does exert a lot of pressure on you to use them (by breaking the traditional methods when you use systemd). Not to mention that systemd does a lot of these things worse than the traditional methods, but even if they did them well it would be an issue.

This result is that a lot of programs now depend on systemd's suite of DBus services, which are unlikely to ever be replaced. Which then locks everyone into a systemd system because all of the useful programs depend on it. kdbus was an extension to this idea, that thankfully was blocked from the kernel (there's a much better IPC proposal called bus1).

That's the issue with systemd. The configuration format or package dependencies are superficial arguments made by people who don't understand what the problems are.
>>
>>61938129
dbus is just a communication API.
>>
>>61937509

It's important that you understand computing.
How does it feel to be retarded? Honest question. Because you have to be really retarded to keep repeating those memes and myths on a technology related forum. Do you not realize how high the likelihood is for people to see through your bullshit?
I understand that it probably works in the daycare where you spend most of your time, but anyone with a brain on here will call you out on your retardation.
>>
Gentoo or Parabola?
>>
>>61938180
guixsd
>>
>>61937874

Can you explain what the problem in that picture is that you posted? I assume you have low and high level networking expertise, because you seem to make claims. Surely you can back them up.
>>
>>61938040
Oh, also one noteworthy piece of software that is on all NixOS installs is systemd. Currently you cannot change that.

However, that's not a failure of the package manager it's just that they don't offer any alternatives at the moment inside their repositories.
But if they ever do offer an alternative to systemd (which some people might already be working on) then basically all you'd have to do is something like:
systemd.enable = false;
<some_other_init_system>.enable = true;

in your config file, rebuild the system, and you'd have a completely pristine machine running off the new one as if systemd was never installed on your system at all. There should be no side effects from the switch whatsoever, and that's what makes declarative systems so cool.
>>
>>61938021

No, it doesn't. There are options exposed through the X driver and you can toggle them and it most likely depends on which features a device supports.
>>
>>61938147
Yes, and? If every system service depends on DBus endpoints that are only provided by the systemd project, how is your comment helpful to that discussion? That's why I said that they're unlikely to be replaced, because while you could register the same endpoints and implement the same functionality nobody is going to bother.
>>
>>61938228
Probably my distro's defaults then. On my machine I didn't have to modify libinput's configuration to get middle-click trackpoint scrolling to work.
>>
>>61938242

Yeah, just like nobody bothered replacing other old and deprecated software. Oh wait, they did.
You fucking retard have no idea what you're talking about. You most likely don't even use those things. You most likely aren't even working on software. You are just parroting things to appear smart. Read this >>61938156, because I'm interested in how can someone be so retarded.
>>
beginner here, it seems that my system uses systemd, should I be worried?
>>
>>61938222
Note that GuixSD also has the same philosophy as NixOS but uses Scheme for everything and the init is GNU Shepherd.
>>
>>61938279

Yes. I stopped using computers at all 4 years ago to escape the botnet. I am posting this by calling my grandma and telling her to write this down for me.
>>
>>61938129
>Dependencies are a stupid measure
>goes on to list nothing but dependencies as a negative
>>
File: lolpott.jpg (16KB, 646x164px) Image search: [Google]
lolpott.jpg
16KB, 646x164px
>>61938156
>meme
>myth
So yet another person that has failed to read anything i have posted in this thread that reflects the demeanor and psyche of the systemd developers and its lead asshole, i mean project manager poettering

>>61938201
You didnt read anything either. It tells you right there in the third post. And then poettering is all like
WELL THE DISTRO SHOULD MANAGE BONDING BY ITS SELF
But poettering the kernel does not have any bonding module enabled
WELL THATS ON THE DISTRO TO HANDLE IT THE WAY THE USER WANTS
But poettering, systemd(networkd) is doing it by its self without any user interaction
WELL IM CLOSING THIS NOW, CAUSE THE DISTROS CAN APPLY A WORK AROUND DESPITE NETWORKD WORKING BY ITS SELF
>>
>>61938281
I've been wondering. Is there any reason other distros can't use Shepherd? I never hear anyone complain about it so I'm assuming it's good enough for desktop users.

Why don't more distros just adopt Shepherd instead of systemd?
>>
>>61938242
That's like complaining about everything relying on file system.
>>
>>61938279
Yes.
>>
>>61938306

So you don't know? Because all you did was regurgitate some sentences from that thread, without any explanations.
That's now how it works. You don't prove something by repeating it. Unless you're a retarded child, because that's how retarded children communicate.
>>
>>61938351
did you read
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd yet?
>>
>>61938315

You should create your own daily-driver, desktop distro, that's good and lightweight and allows a lot of customization and that's using Shepherd.
If you ask nicely, someone in here might create a logo for you.
>>
File: 1499119808133.gif (469KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1499119808133.gif
469KB, 500x375px
>>61938351
>Still not reading posts
>>
>>61938370

Yes. Now what?
Can you go back to my original question and explain to my what's wrong with this >>61937874?
>>
>>61938393
This>>61938370 isnt me.
This >>61938386 is me.
But i guess you wont read this post either so youll start "fighting" with other anon
>>
>>61938275
I do use these things, and I've seen how much painful shit you have to go through in order to co-operate with systemd. I can give you an example if you like.

systemd provides a "TransientUnit" DBus API. If you want to create a container that uses cgroups you can either set it up manually using /sys/fs/cgroup, or you can use the DBus API and just tell it what limits you want. The problem is that if you tell systemd about the container then it can arbitrarily decide to move your process (and it does). In fact there were cases where it would move your process such that the limits you've set don't apply anymore. If you don't use their APIs they will fuck you in other ways that I don't have the patience to explain.

AccountService had even more fun issues where every authentication system that used its APIs was vulnerable to a login bypass. If they'd used glibc's APIs this wouldn't have happened. But more importantly this means that you cannot use logind on non-systemd systems unless it has kept its old legacy code that doesn't use systemd's DBus APIs.

systemd doesn't respect SIGPWR, requiring special code in the poweroff and reboot commands (they might even use DBus, I haven't checked) just for systemd.

But yeah, I'm just a fucking retard. Fuck me dead.
>>
>>61938306
You should try out for alt-left, I heard soros has readings bi-weekly.

The only requirement is that you be totally fucking retarded and repeat things.
>>
>red hat shills in full force
>>
>>61938304
Package dependencies are a stupid measure (the list that keeps being circulated). Core system services that depend on DBus interfaces (a different form of dependency on the systemd group of projects) is a more severe issue.
>>
File: 200.jpg (20KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
20KB, 300x100px
>>61938424
>>Still not reading posts
>>
>>61938322
If systemd had its own filesystem, which you were forced to use in order for systemd to act nicely, I would make that argument too. Alas, that's not the current situation.
>>
>>61938435
So dependencies are only bad when they are depended on more widely and are more critical?

XD
>>
>>61938417

So you're saying you addressed all of those alleged issues upstream and each of your requests for enhancement were shut down without explanation?
In that case, why haven't you forked it and improved it? Everything, including systemd, is free software licensed under the GPL.
>>
>>61938473
If it's not practical to replace them, and they are maintained by a single project which requires you to "buy into the whole experience", then yes.
>>
>>61937942
good video, thanks for posting
>>
>>61938430

>when someone questions something i like it's a shill
>when i question something i don't like it's good
>>
File: 1495022226223.png (189KB, 503x504px) Image search: [Google]
1495022226223.png
189KB, 503x504px
Calculate or Manjaro (basically Gentoo or Arch)
What do you /g/uys prefer?
>>
>>61938372
What the hell are you talking about?

It sounds like you're somehow offended by me just asking if Shepherd can work on other distros. Take it easy.
>>
>>61938518
>basically Gentoo or Arch
no
>>
>>61938518
Just use arch.
Dont use downstream distros, they are just shit
>>
>>61938493
I've backported patches that fix those issues in my distribution, and others have done the same. I've also worked around those issues as well.

The problem is not that systemd has bugs, everything has bugs. The problem is that systemd has put itself in the position where I have to debug issues in some random service that is required by systemd (or systemd itself) just to use core OS functionality.
>>
I read somewhere that you can run guix on your own distro, how does this work?
>>
>>61938534
arch is shit
>>
>>61938523

If it works on one distribution using the Linux kernel, it works on all.
>>
>>61938559
Guessing that you couldnt get past install?
Its like 10 commands.Go shit up baby debian or something
>>
>>61938559

So you're complaining about a stream being shit and dirty at its source, but you're okay with drinking its water downstream?
Literally retarded.
>>
>>61938548
It's not the same really. Because you won't be using it to really declare your whole setup.
In such cases it's really just acts more like a containerizer. Like having flatpak or something except also having the power to specify modifications or build options for each package.
>>
>>61938085
>not lossy to lossy
quality doesn't matter to me, i save a shit ton of space though
>>
>>61938463
Instead of relying on the FS, everything rely on a bus. You're just criticizing the communication protocol, that's the least relevant part.
>>
>>61938040
sounds even better than I imagined it was, I'm liking this shit more and more every time I learn something new about it. just need 2 hours when I can focus and install it.
>>
I've installed cuda and the nvidia blob drivers, but when im compiling their sample code, my gpu never reaches past 30$ usage.
I have /opt/cuda/include in my path,but it dosetn seem to be using the gpu
>>
>>61938713
Please read my comment again. I'm not critising the bus, I'm critising the fact that systemd created a bunch of DBus API wrappers around existing libraries, and inserted themselves in the middle. Does it make sense for systemd to provide APIs (which it then tries to force developers to use) for changing the time? For changing the hostname? For changing process limits? Especially when all of those things already have well-established APIs.

I don't have a problem with DBus, it's a fairly cool (though over engineered) protocol.
>>
>>61938869

>Does it make sense for systemd to provide APIs (which it then tries to force developers to use) for changing the time? For changing the hostname? For changing process limits? Especially when all of those things already have well-established APIs.

How do you define sense? Why doesn't it make sense?
>>
>>61938946
Is there any technical benefit to providing said APIs and forcing people to use them? Or is it (what I suspect) a tactic to entrench systemd-based systems as having all of the important software.

You can't even use half of systemd's tools inside a systemd recovery shell because they don't start DBus in a recovery context. In my mind that's a pretty damning example of the problem.
>>
Do either AC3 2.0 or flac 5.1 have shit hardware support?
I tried watching Clannad on my Nexus 7 and it wasn't accelerated with either of them, though it can handle x265 video. Using mx player but any media player uses the same codecs I think.
>>
>>61938993

>forcing
No one is forcing you. Look up the definition of forcing.
I suggest you read the description of the project on its website and see what it wants to do.
>>
>>61938869
Why not? Everything is a service now. That's the new Linux way.
>>
Linux is shit. Thanks for listening.
>>
>>61938993
Like that we can start to implement a true security scheme.
>>
Is there a full list of distros without systemd?
>>
>>61939056
Devuan and alpine would be the best choices
>>
>>61939068
Those are shit, is there a full list or not?
>>
>>61939079
They arent shit.
>>
>>61939056
Gentoo/CloverOS, Slackware, Void Linux, Devuan, Alpine, and a few others.
>>
>>61939056
without-systemd.org
>>
Is there some kind of real world test that can be done that would show my dumb shit vidya playing brother that windows is inferior to Linux, even for games?
Is Vulkan good enough on Linux to beat the crap out of windows yet?
>>
>>61939084
Fuck off.

>>61939088
>it's real
Thanks m8
>>
>>61939094
If you find a game that fully supports Vulcan it'll run perfectly. Don't use Doom, that's a shit game for benchmarks.
>>
>Lenovo/Compal Meso XT SLKPX DDR3 128/256Mx16 4GB 300e/300m DUAL Rank
>The card reports 2GB VRAM
why is this allowed?
>>
File: 1478981529175.jpg (621KB, 1543x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1478981529175.jpg
621KB, 1543x1200px
>>
>>61939145
I think this is the best way to keep this autist out of public life, just keep him busy with stupid trollbait emails
>>
>>61939094
I don't think you're doing them any favors by trying to just find actual examples, because all you're doing is setting the stage that competing over incidental game support is the end all be all of what system is best for games. And in that area, like it or not, Windows is still kind on PC.

Better to just explain that when it comes to games, honestly the only difference the OS makes is how few resources it can consume to run itself while launching your game. Other than that, the hardware is the same, the drivers WOULD be the same if Linux had the same userbase Windows does causing the vendors to get their act together and make us decent drivers.

So ideally they would be the same, although Vulkan does greatly level the playing field as far as drivers are concerned because it's so simple by comparison to older API's. Linux might even have the potential to be slightly better on lightweight systems.
So basically the reason we're still catching up to Windows in the gaming department is because our userbase is small, not because of any inherent limitations in Linux.
>>
>>61939024
I already gave examples of how systemd will negatively affect tools that don't use their APIs. In my book, making it hard to not use something counts as coercion.
>>
>>61938502
You say it isn't practical but it is.
Just say what you really mean, you don't like development and want to use the same crusty dependencies forever.
>>
>>61930299
Trying to format my storage drive in ext4. Using ntfs it had 3.63TB of space, but with ext4 at default settings it has only 3.58, that's 50 gigs.

is there some setting i need to play with ? i use it for movies and shit 1gb+
>>
>>61939243
A bit more respect please.
>>
File: 1485830866155.jpg (232KB, 990x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1485830866155.jpg
232KB, 990x1400px
>>
>>61939613
>>Creating an artificial burden on the community to replace APIs created for no justifiable technical reason is bad.
>you don't like development
wat

>want to use the same crusty dependencies forever
Because reinventing ntpd poorly is the best thing for us to waste time on. Or reimplementing the sethostname(2) syscall. Because all of a sudden, all code that is old is "crusty" and we need to replace it just because it wasn't written in the past 3 years. Fuck off.
>>
>>61939616
ext reserves a portion of the filesystem for /root only. You can use tune2fs to unreserve this space
>>
I want to have a random hostname every time I reboot. Ideas?
>>
what is the best rolling linux?
>>
>>61939937
>burden on the community
Except systemd is a boon not a burden.
>>
I am installing Arch for the first time and I found the whole proccess surprisingly easy. However, I am having trouble getting the boot loader/grub to work. Can someone walk me through that process?
>>
What can I use instead of Photoshop for drawing on GNU/Linux? Is GIMP the best there is?
>>
>>61940270
Try following the instructions on the Parabola wiki. It was pretty quick for me.

https://
wiki.parabola
.nu/Beginners%27_Guide#Install_and_configure_a_bootloader

Had to format this funnily because of spam filter.
>>
>>61940231
Confirmed illiterate, you can only respond to parts of a single sentence that have nothing to do with my argument. Filtered.
>>
>>61940439
You should never argue with tripfags in the first place.

Think of how unlikely any random anon is to ever admit they were wrong about anything.
Then multiply that by 10, and also add a pinch of being delusional enough to never even realize your wrong let along admit to being wrong
That's what it means to argue with tripfags.

Just ignore them.
>>
>>61940278
krita or pinta
>>
>>61940018
already done this, I set it to 0 that's fine right?

I realized the space was being eaten by inodes. "bytes-per-inode": setting this to 1MB got me results similar to ntfs.

this means the smallest files I could fill the drive with are 1MB correct?
>>
I open qbittorrent give it a magnet link manually,when i find another magnet link i click it, it opens another qbittorrent instance.I do this agian,and a third instance opens.What is going on.I dont see anything about keeping only one instance of qbittorent open in the options
>>
>>61940334
Thanks this looks really helpful.
Follow up question: how can I tell if my system is a bios system or a uefi system?
>>
http://roesler-ac.de/wolfram/acro/all.htm
>>
>>61940867
It explains that earlier on, under "6.2 - Partition table types". Enter "parted /dev/sdx print", where x is the number of the device found from the "lsblk" command.

Just bear in mind that there are probably differences between installing Parabola and Arch. The Parabola wiki just helped me to clarify some points when I was installing Arch.
>>
What nntp/nzb program are the kids using these days?
>>
File: 1486578326424-1.gif (40KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
1486578326424-1.gif
40KB, 220x220px
Wizards assemble! >>61907876
>>
>>61942236
I've never seen more of a gimmick and meme distro in all my life
>>
>>61942294
you haven't seen a lot of distros in your life then, newfriend
>>
>>61942324
Building a meme around magic, is retarded and cringy as fuck
>>
>>61942335
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." – Arthur C. Clarke, The Third Law.

>We are often asked about our choice of a "magical" theme for our project components, commands, etc.
Common phrasings include "What's with all this magic stuff?" and "Is Source Mage the distro for Harry Potter fans?".

>It is a little odd to us that Un*x users and administrators would be confused by or have a problem with this terminology. Un*x systems have a long history of using light-hearted terms for commands and concepts, particularly magical ones. The name "Unix" itself is a pun, not an acronym, whether the trademark lawyers want to remember this or not. We certainly weren't the first to talk about UN*X "gurus" and "wizards", and Gary Overacre's iconic poster depicting a "Unix Wizard" was classic before many of the current crop of Linux users were born.

>It is of course fair to say that we apply this theme more completely and purposefully than just some random names here and there, but we start from the same place. We use these terms to keep things fun and not too serious, just like the giants who went before us did, and more than that we use them to remind us of and tie us to our history. We don't really make a big deal about it in any case, so if some users and admins want to troll about this it perhaps says more about them than anything about us; here again there is nothing new. Given that our target user base is primarily experienced admins who want their systems built their way and new users honestly interested in learning, it suits us fine if people more concerned about names than concepts don't want to come along for the ride.
>>
File: Explains.png (68KB, 150x273px) Image search: [Google]
Explains.png
68KB, 150x273px
so , I'm installing gentoo (CloverOs) and no problems until the boot, it has either froze up or not recognized both mouse and keyboard upon boot.
Any ideas?
>>
Is there a way to tell in bash if a string is a Comma-Separated List or a path to a file?
For a path I know you can use test -e, but dunno how to check if CSL besides pattern matching if it is just 0123...9 and ,
>>
>>61943631
maybe there's no proper kernel support, like for PS2 devices or whatever

search on google and see if someone already found a solution, [spoiler]if not, you're fucked[/spoiler]

my touchpad on gentoo only works if I use a specific kernel parameter. I don't remember where I found it, neither why it works, but hey, it just works
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>61930299
Why does GNOME 3 compress wallpapers this much?
>>
>>61933875
>>61933940
Yes, you can hibernate to a swapfile (fun fact, you don't even need as much swap as you do RAM, provided all the allocated memory will fit; I regularly hibernate 8GB RAM to a 4GB swapfile) if you just specify the file offset on the kernel command line.

You can get the offset of your swapfile with filefrag -v /swapfile, and looking at the first physical offset, for example:
Filesystem type is: ef53
File size of /swapfile is 5368709120 (1310720 blocks of 4096 bytes)
ext: logical_offset: physical_offset: length: expected: flags:
0: 0.. 2047: 5535744.. 5537791: 2048:
1: 2048.. 6143: 5529600.. 5533695: 4096: 5537792:
[...]

e.g.: resume=/dev/sda3 resume_offset=5535744

sda3 being my / partition.
>>
>>61944033
right, so it's like i assumed, it depends on a contiguous, immutable file (that is, a file that is one unfragmented span of disk space, and is unmovable)
using a raw offset like that is only needed if you're planning on accessing the file without the filesystem driver, which is only safe to do when the above are true

basically, it's so the system can unmount the volume, /then/ write the contents of the swap file

so that rules btrfs out for this as well, it will have the same requirements as a normal, 'live' swapfile
>>
Does anyone know what's going on with the whole "EGL vs GBM streams" debate surrounding the reasons NVidia isn't usually supported on Wayland?

Last I heard there was talk of creating a whole new one that everyone could agree one. Did that ever happen?
>>
File: 1496633333870.png (228KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1496633333870.png
228KB, 512x512px
>install Xubuntu for first linux
>hamster controls are all super sensitive
>unusable really
>go to settings
>select hamster and touchpad
>no hamster sensitivity/speed or anything like that
What the fuck is this shit? Do I really have to tweak my fucking hamster settings from the terminal or in a plain text config file? FUCK THIS. Maybe in a nother decade freeshitware will catch up but it is fucking UNUSABLE at this point.
>>
>>61943844
turned out it was a ps2 device(and it's retarded layout) fucking things up.
The problem now is that when trying to install, it restarts at some point and goes back to either the windows boot or the gentoo live cd install boot depending on wether I have activated external booting or not.
I suposse that for the installation to be completed it is necessary for it to reboot, but how do I get it back to the install?
>>
>>61938534
But what if I like the flexibility those distros give me, but don't feel like doing the tedious installation?
Any install script for arch that just installs the base system, neccessary drivers and sets up locales and then leaves me the fuck alone?
>>
Does Debian testing play nice with proprietary nvidia drivers?
>>
File: 1477384372996.png (36KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1477384372996.png
36KB, 499x338px
>>61944377
>turned out it was a ps2 device(and it's retarded layout)
Turned out your a fucking retard. PS2s aren't fucking very well suited for running desktop Linux..Holy shit what the fuck dude?
>>
File: ham.png (45KB, 724x645px) Image search: [Google]
ham.png
45KB, 724x645px
>>61944367
there are some settings

>>61944454
dank
>>
I really like how in acme I can grab text so quickly from anywhere and use it somewhere else.
Is there somewhere while using the terminal I can conveniently grab text from say the output of a previous command. I guess is there anyway to make the terminal more like acme? The tmux copy is kinda what I want ... but it just doesn't feel right.
>>
File: 1470461273998.jpg (38KB, 473x357px) Image search: [Google]
1470461273998.jpg
38KB, 473x357px
>>61944454
It was the keyboard that I had at hand you fucking sperglord, chill the fuck out man.

The thing is in the trash now if that helps you sleep tonight.
>>
>>61944454
>desktop Linux
what
>>
File: gnu-linux.konqi.1.archive.png (1009KB, 3283x3973px) Image search: [Google]
gnu-linux.konqi.1.archive.png
1009KB, 3283x3973px
Hey, /fglt/.

What are some good, normal-looking fonts for foreign languages like Japanese and Korean?
>>
>>61944583
noto
>>
>>61944587
good idea. thanks, anon
>>
>>61939000
Bump
>>
>>61944982
Why would you want to "accelerate" audio?
>>
>>61945183
It's not that I want to our not, it's that my other Chinese cartoons do just accelerate it without me needing to do anything because presumably the codecs are better supported on the hardware.
>>
File: 1483889196744.jpg (26KB, 176x184px) Image search: [Google]
1483889196744.jpg
26KB, 176x184px
>not a single customizable and light music player available
I'm starting to lose hope.
Lollypop is close to what I want but it's buggy as fuck and lacking some really basic features.
Not sure if it's worth forking it and spend a lot of time fixing all the bugs to then implement the features I want or just write something from scratch instead.
>>
>>61942294
Have you tried Gentoo?
>>
What's a good way for partitioning a 60 GB SSD for installing GNU/Linux
>>
>>61945894
single LVM blob
or 60GB /

60gb is too comfy for complex partitioning
>>
>>61945933
I was thinking of partitioning it
30 GB /home
30 GB /
Is there any particular reason for putting it all in / ?
>>
>>61930299
>Parents cleaning out my old room in their house to rent it out
>Getting my old tower to my apt

It was high-end back in 2011, and can still run most games etc., although I'm considering installing an SSD with a simple, windows like distro. Any recommendations? I've dabbled in many easier out-of the box distros
>>
>>61946047
30gb is pretty small now. Filesystems get fragments when full.
>>
>>61946155
>Filesystems get fragments when full
I though ext4 doesn't get fragmented?
>>
>>61946155
30gb is small how?
>>61946203
It doesn't, he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about
>>
File: 1494396716971.jpg (135KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494396716971.jpg
135KB, 500x500px
Turns out that Arch Anywhere is really fucking nice
Can only recommend it
>>
>>61946281
>30gb is small how?
30gb is not a lot considering file sizes today
a lvm scheme, or 60gb / provide more flexibility

>>61946203
>I though ext4 doesn't get fragmented?
it is rare
>>
>>61946203
Hmmm, I'm at 95% utilization and e3freefrag is reporting lots of free extents between 256K-2M and nothing about 128M. Will run e4defrag and see if anything changes.
>>
>>61946534
Scratch that. It said fragmentation score 0. Time to delete last+found
>>
>>61933795
swap files on non swap partitions are slower than dedicated swap partitions
>>
>>61946880
That was true, but it is false.
>>
>>61946933
How?
>>
>>61947078
swap files are manipulated without going through the filesystem driver, so there's no filesystem overhead
swap partitions are safer to manage, but not faster
>>
>>61947078
Search the internet. The have a good implementation, swap files are as fast as swap partition. So swap partitions are obsolete.
>>
I've just installed the latest Ubuntu gnome, I can log in fine and access my desktop, however the screen will just randomly turn black. I can see my cursor but I can't see anything else.

I'm using a gtx 980 and the open source drivers, I've tried using the proprietary drivers but it causes a whole load of issues when I try to log in to my Linux install
>>
>>61947726
nVidia posters are not welcome in the GNU thread. GFY
>>
>>61947743
Guess I didn't want to use your niche OS anyway then.
>>
>>61947807
Yes. Get out filthy slave.
>>
>>61947726
Try another WM/DE and perhaps even another distro. Try the proprietary drivers too, the open source ones are shit because of lack of support from nvidia.
>>
can i still linux on a second drive/partition, and not mess withmy main, windows drive?

like, can i make it so my windows install on my c drive is completely unaffected by my linux install? i don't want to mess around with grub or anything that changes the booting process.
>>
>>61947926
yes
>>
>>61947926
>can i still linux on a second drive/partition, and not mess withmy main, windows drive?
yes
>like, can i make it so my windows install on my c drive is completely unaffected by my linux install?
yes
> i don't want to mess around with grub or anything that changes the booting process.
well you're shit outta luck then, how do you expect to change what you're able to boot into without fucking with your boot?

it's all done automatically on babby distros though, the chance of a fuckup is small
>>
● networking.service - Raise network interfaces
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-08-17 14:36:21 CEST; 26s ago
Docs: man:interfaces(5)
Process: 478 ExecStart=/sbin/ifup -a --read-environment (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 390 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$CONFIGURE_INTERFACES" != "no" ] && [ -n "$(ifquery --read-environment --list --exclude=lo)" ] && udevadm se
Main PID: 478 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

how do i solve this shit, it keeps bothering me across multiple distros
>>
I hibernated my laptop and it failed to resume (or hibernate at the first place).
I think it fucked up my grub (or at least my normal boot image)

Now I'm stuck with rootfs emergency shell with root permission and there's really a lack of usable tools
cryptsetup doesn't even work and won't give me the right permission.

What do? I could login normally to fallback image from grub but I'm not sure if this is safe to do stuff from there (is it safe to use fallback for modifying system?).
Should I:
>boot my netinstall/recovery to chroot and regenerate grub configuration
OR
>boot and login to a fallback image and regenerate grub from there
>>
>>61947926
>can i still linux on a second drive/partition, and not mess withmy main, windows drive?
Don't know about a second physical disk as it depends on your bios' capabilities to use the other disk but a partition on the same disk should work flawlessly with dualboot.
>like, can i make it so my windows install on my c drive is completely unaffected by my linux install?
Yes. if it's a separate and fresh/clean partition. they don't touch each other unless you try to install ntfs3g to access your c: IDK about microsoft though. They might have backdoors to access your linux through linux SxS files so you gotta encrypt your root m8.
>i don't want to mess around with grub or anything that changes the booting process.
No. You need to know and use the boot partition in order to dual boot flawlessly. If it's efi just don't fuck with the old ISOs that don't support efi and never format the boot partition since you'll be needing the window's boot image.
Try gummiboot then if you want to write on the disk header (if you can boot with legacy/bios) but I highly recommend grub because it's easier to fix and use in my experience and it's fucking stable right now.
>>
Tinkering with my user in university VM (via SSH) because it's just start of the year and I don't have anything to do. Already figured out how to install anything in my home folder (because I don't have root access, obviously), and, more importantly, how to use libraries installed in my home folder while compiling other stuff. So, I'm again have nothing to do. What cool things I can do on multi-user linux machine without root access? Maybe, there is some skill that I can learn in this environment?
>>
File: 1489563536389.jpg (236KB, 865x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1489563536389.jpg
236KB, 865x1296px
Whats the best way to encrypt an external HDD?
Obviously I should be using Luks, but should I also make an lvm setup with just one partition or format it in ext4 normally?
Also is there a faster way to clear a disk than with dd and /dev/random? This is a 4tb WD external HDD and that would probably take days.
>>
>>61945424
gmusicbrowser
>>
>>61948671
You don't need to use lvm if you're just gonna use one partiton in a luks container.
>Also is there a faster way to clear a disk than with dd and /dev/random?
/dev/urandom makes more sense, since it won't block after a period of time, but it's more just psuedorandom.

I dunno. You could use dban. It may have been something else that I'm think of, but you could use dban to do a hardware wipe, which uses less resources, but I don't know if it's quicker.
>>
>>61934766
>>61934778
http://porkmail.org/era/unix/award.html

>using more
less exists and it's better. It's even possible to search with it. Just type / then your query. You can move between results with n and N, just like in vi.
>>
In general is a distro always "fixable"? Is it usually easier to just try to sort out any issues that popup over time over doing a clean install? I've had my current distro installed for about a year now and a few things have started to break here and there and I don't know what is usually easier to do.

I've heard you can put /home on a separate partition. But if everything is configured the same on the next install would problems in general not just persist?
>>
>>61948996
I don't know but it means your configs will be the same.

It's not advisable to "fix" your own distro if you see sysadmining and dbugging/tshooting as a tiring job to do. KDE and other components crashed on me several times out of complex configurations but I was able to fix it even alone. I don't see those things as a major problem and only see drive corruption as the worst case scenario.

If you want a distro that doesn't need to be 'fixable' get a stable non-rolling distro that release packages slow yet ship security fast. I stick to rolling release because I like using plasma and I've been using plasma since alpha so I know how to fix common issues.
>>
>>61930299
Can you use AUR on gentoo?
Alternatively is there anything similar on gentoo?
>>
>>61949412
you can't even use octopi so what's the point.
>>
>>61949412
you can use AUR on every distro you just have to install pacman first, but i would not advice you to un multiple package managers on one system. You can find most of the pacakges you need on gentoo in overlays if they are not in the official repos
>>
File: 1502193929995.jpg (132KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1502193929995.jpg
132KB, 400x400px
>>61946292
It is desu
>>
Is Fedora Workstation better than Ubuntu with GNOME? I want a GNOME desktop desu.
>>
>>61944583
source han is the best.
>>
>>61949816
RAPE
YOURSELF
DUMB
ANIMEPOSTER
>>
>>61949908
anime website
>>
>>61949816
Too bad Arch refuses to run on my HP 15 laptop
>>
>>61950327
what? why?
>>
>>61942236
>>
>>61950327
Yes it can
>>
>>61950327
Use manjaro
>>
>>61950441
>Use manjaro
Fails to install
>>
>>61950463
How could you possibly fuck up the manjaro install? Were you partitioning properly?
>>
>>61950463
either see>>61950476 or there's something terribly wrong with your hardware
>>
Arch is just a stepping stone.
>>
>>61950476
No idea, it just fails (can't remember the errors)
I have installed Manjaro on a couple of other machines there were no problems at all
>>
>>61950327
Have you tried the new ISO?

It's fucking improved in a short amount of time. Few months ago, I couldn't install arch due to my broken laptop screen plus external monitors don't go well with netinstall.
Now it just fucking works.

Posting from fresh arch install and palemoon.

word of advice to arch-users: build pacaur manually and do not use yaourt to install octopi or other AUR packages otherwise you'll be seeing duplicate packages on octopi and it's annoying. After building pacaur install it and use pacaur to get octopi.
>>
>>61950513
to what
>>
>>61950547
GPT or MBR?
Try with UEFI enabled and Secureboot disabled.
>>
>>61948734
That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Thanks.
>>
>>61950679
try sayonara
>>
>>61950568
Source Mage
>>
>>61950568
source magic
>>
>>61950568
smgl
>>
>>61950568
GuixSD
>>
>>61950568
Ubuntu
>>
File: pic.png (933KB, 1050x787px) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
933KB, 1050x787px
For some reason, people keep sending me these fucking penguins. Everytime I see a penguin, it just makes me more angry. What do?
>>
File: linux-ready.png (152KB, 702x720px) Image search: [Google]
linux-ready.png
152KB, 702x720px
>>61950898
what grinds my gears is pic related
what are people thinking when posting this
>>
>>61950691
It looks nice. I will look into it.
>>
>>61944377
restart at what point?

and you can boot on a live cd, and mount the partitions like on gentoo handbook guide, then chroot, boom, back to the install
>>
>>61948040
anyone can help? I tried a lot of things but basically wifi works during the installation and then it stop, I even tried windows but no luck
>>
Should i use LTS version of Kubuntu or the latest one? I am a newfag. Also how to install the latest versions of software? The ones that in software center are outdated.
>>
Is GNU Emacs a viable replacement for tmux/screen?
>>
File: stalinux.jpg (46KB, 584x472px) Image search: [Google]
stalinux.jpg
46KB, 584x472px
Why aren't you running BSD?
>>
>>61951678
People who don't like KDE are people who tried kubuntu.
>>
>>61951713
Because it's absolute shit as a desktop OS.
>>
>>61951678
>thinks stable software is outdated
>>
>>61951655
If it's not even working on windows then maybe your wireless adapter is just broken? Or maybe you have a hardware switch? If it's a laptop see if you have a physical wifi button or switch that you can use to turn it on and off.
>>
>>61951808
it was working when I installed windows and the driver, then I did the updates, restarted and it stopped working again.
it was working fine on arch too, then I decided to change distro and dunno what happened but now it only works when installing a new distro. dunno if it may be related but the ssd was encrypted.
I just tried arch-anywhere, installed perfectly using my wireless connection and when I booted up it's not even recognized anymore.
also /etc/systemd/network is empty
>>
>>61951869
It's possible for software to manually remove any blockers, maybe the installers are doing that but then when you go to run the system they're still there.
Do you see any blockers listed if you run as root (or with sudo):
>rfkill list
>>
I'm getting started with Linux and dual booting on one of my laptops.

In regards to partitioning, is it fine to just have the following:
1.) /
2.) /home
3.) swap
4.) EFI System
5.) Windows junk (primary partition, recovery partition, system reserved / boot manager partition)

/home is separate for preserving user files when I decide to experiment with other distros and also to mount in Windows for easy access to user files / downloads.

I've read that some people prefer additional partitions for directories like /boot and such. I have no need for full partition / disk encryption and I'm not a developer. Is there any compelling reason for me to make extra partitions given my use case? Maybe something I've missed?
>>
>>61952153
I actually mount my efi partition on /boot rather than /boot/efi, because I sometimes end up confusing myself. There's nothing wrong with having boot on your root.

I'm assuming your efi partition is vfat. You might want to check and see if it's been marked as bootable.

No. For your use case, there's no real reason to have any partitions besides what you have there. Even swap is questionable, unless you're going to be hibernating your computer.
>>
>>61952153
You don't need a swap partition
>>
File: 1472062857952.jpg (71KB, 420x599px) Image search: [Google]
1472062857952.jpg
71KB, 420x599px
>>61949908
Anime girls are in charge here, sorry anon-kun.
>>
>>61952052
it wasn't even installed, anyway it says no to every soft or hard blocked.
now I've just booted the pc (it's a thinkpad x220 btw) and wifi is working again but I'm sure that if I reboot it will stop once again
>>
File: 1502833559751.png (108KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502833559751.png
108KB, 600x600px
Can I install Source Mage on a Raspberry Pi? I know I can put a LFS build on it, so I assume Source Mage is also doable.
>>
>>61952350
ok it stopped without doing anything, just an error while browsing
>>
I need to install a DE for my CentOS server, just so I can use it to setup a VM. Should I install Gnome or KDE?
>>
>>61952434
I don't know anon, I've never heard that happening to anyone before. Usually it either works or it doesn't.

At this point you might want to actually ask for help on a more capable site, like your distros help forum or stackexchange.
>>
>>61952279
>>61952287
Thanks.

In regards to the swap - this laptop only has 8GB of RAM. I'm used to Windows with all sorts of memory leaks and bloat. Isn't not having a swap file dangerous?

Google tells me that I can assign swap space on the root partition instead of creating a swap partition. Is that preferable or are you telling me I shouldn't bother with a swap at all?
>>
>>61952396
>>61952671
>>
>>61952647
Most basic window manager should suffice
>>
>>61952673
A swap file is more flexible than a swap partition.
>>
Using Ubuntu 16.04 server

I followed this tutorial on encrypting and auto-mounting a remote drive, my problem is with the big shell script 2/3 down the page:
https://ufie.de/en/encfs-verschluesseltes-laufwerk-mit-autofs-vom-hostingpackungserver-ueber-cifs-mounten/

This line of code in particular produces an error:
OPTIONS=${NEWOPTIONS:0:-1}
--
Error:
>> /sbin/mount.encfsextpw: line 32: -1: substring expression < 0

People said error is caused by old bash versions, however my system is up to date and I haven't done any major modifications or used custom shells:
anon@server:/$ /bin/bash -version
GNU bash, version 4.3.48(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

I tried fixing it following a few bug reports on similar errors with this:
OPTIONS=${NEWOPTIONS:0:(${#NEWOPTIONS}-1)}
--
Error:
>> /sbin/mount.encfsextpw: line 32: (${#NEWOPTIONS}-1): substring expression < 0

Does anyone know a quick fix for this? I'm shit with bash scripting
>>
>>61952848
Just pipe it through rev | cut | rev
Or grab bash from zesty.
>>
>>61952666
Well thank you anyway, I appreciate it
>>
>>61952673
I had 8GB without a swap, not even a swap file, for years on Linux.
I could even play games like CSS while compiling world at the same time on Gentoo and never ran into any issues.

But you can always use the swap file as a backup if you want. Just make sure your filesystem supports swapfiles. Someone pointed out to me yesterday that apparently some don't, like btrfs. But ext4 does.
>>
File: 1476431689989.png (660KB, 698x840px) Image search: [Google]
1476431689989.png
660KB, 698x840px
>>61950580
>UEFI enabled
Yes
>Secureboot disabled
Yes

HP consumer stuff is simply a shit
>>
Opinions on KDE Neon?
>>
>>61953309
Used it for a while and it was really solid. Changed to Fedora as I needed newer software.
>>
new thread?
>>
>>61947926
>well you're shit outta luck then, how do you expect to change what you're able to boot into without fucking with your boot?
there is no way to have it set up so that booting into linux requires me to press the f* key and select the boot device?

i don't want grub to be on my c drive, where windows is. i want it to be on my second drive, where linux is gonna be installed.

is this not possible?
>>
>>61953424
of course thats possible.
just install grub on the same drive as linux and change the boot order every time you want to change the os. but it would be way easier to just always boot from your grub disk and select windows from there if you want windows
>>
How do I get Ubuntu to pick up an edited
.profile
?
I wanted to add something to the path.
I googled it and found something about ldconfig but that doesn't get it to pick up.
>>
>>61953550
Use .bash_profile
>>
>>61953550
>>61953565
this
or add
 source /path/to/.profile

to your .bash_profile
>>
File: linux.jpg (80KB, 641x310px) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
80KB, 641x310px
>>61930299
How do you get good at [spoiler]GNU/[/spoiler]Linux?

I've been using different distros for a long time now, about five years. I'm an intermediate user, I know my way around the command line, I know how to google a problem. I understand the OS to a level where I feel comfortable using it for work & some light gaming. However, I never have the sense on Linux that I actually know what the furrark I'm doing. In Windows I know exactly where everything is & can quickly and easily fix whatever issues I encounter because I'm just more familliar with it. I've been a windows 'poweruser' for well over a decade, like driving a really shitty car for a long time, you know all it's quirks.

If I want to enable or disable a wireless interface in windows I go to the Control Panel, I go to network & sharing center, change adapter settings, and right click on the interface I want to toggle.

If I want to do so in linux I have to use ifconfig, except not all distros ship with ifconfig, but it's the tool I normally use, so I install it, but I can't because my gigabit ethernet port is down. So I pull out my phone and google where the physical config file is, and some neckbeard posted a solution in some thread on a forum, the first two I try don't work, the last one does, I bring up the network, install ifconfig and never have to worry about it again.
>>
>>61953612
Believe it or not I actually prefer the linux version here, I acknowledge that the only reason I didn't know where that config file was was because I hadn't had to do the same procedure 95 fuckmothering times in a row because the os was hell bent on fucking me in the butt, thanks microsoft. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm more familliar with Windows then Linux, I want to find out how that neckbeard on that forum knew where the config file was, I want to know my system well enough that I don't normally have to google an issue, I can just pop open my favorite text editor, or vi if this is a new install and make the change. How do you go from an intermediate user who knows how to find a solution, to the kind of user that already knows the answer?

I'd think it'd be as simple as using the OS for a long time, but fuck that, should I study for a Linux+ or something? Not actually take the exam just go over the material, would that cover most of what I need?
>>
>>61952951
Thank you for your help!

I've narrowed it down to this line now:

if (( $3 == "-n" ))

changed round brackets to [[ ]] and now it works...
>>
>>61944392
>flexibility
Having a install sript that does it ONE way without user interaction is not flexible/
?tedious
Copy pasting 10 commands is not tedious, if you think it is, i dont think linux is the os for you
>>
NEW THREAD
>>61953973
>>61953973
>>61953973
>>
>>61953957
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>61953986
GNU/NEW THREAD*
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.