[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 68

File: jerry.jpg (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jerry.jpg
172KB, 1920x1080px
Old Thread: >>57706571

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google first
>>
how do I download private/copyrighted videos
there has to be a better way than using a screen recorder, but everything google turns up looks sketchy and fake
>>
>>57719906
>download private/copyrighted videos
from where? in what method?
>>
File: plutodemoted.jpg (130KB, 620x802px) Image search: [Google]
plutodemoted.jpg
130KB, 620x802px
>>57719844
>Pluto is a planet!
>>
>>57719922
youtube, primarily, i.e. flash videos

if it's loaded in the browser, shouldn't I be able to find it somewhere?
>>
Bumping from the previous thread:
I need to block a complete website in uBlock Origin, how do i do it?
>>
>>57719961
firefox addon works flawlessly on most flash sources
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/
>>
My mom bought me a new laptop for christmas.

It's an Acer and has a fucking CELERON 1.6 Ghz CPU

How the fuck is this allowed?

It's quad core, but that doesn't mean shit.

I turned it on and it's slow as fuck and filled with windows 8.1 bloatware.

I have a windows 7 disk, if I installed it would it speed things up a bit to a tolerable level?

I just want to use it to surf the net and watch animus.
>>
>>57719976
you mean domain? block it in your hostfile
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-block-unwanted-sites-using-the-windows-hosts-file/
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (13KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
13KB, 284x177px
I'll leave an open question for you to think about (because I'm thinking about these issues in the last weeks):

free linux distributions have given a low entry point to run "virtual" machine/servers, and run software on them
the world doesn't have infinite resources
more servers running need more electrical power
more electrical power generates more CO2 emission

This is an actual problem I see, I don't know what the solution is, but the problem is there. "Infinite" free distribution of software looks like an ecological problem. I think we should start thinking about this issue now.
>>
>>57720008
If you are just websurfing and animeing then install some distro of ganoo/lunix
>>
>>57720008
mobile celerons use the same arch as atoms :^)
>>
>>57719986
that's what i've been using, actually, and it's asking me to download a special converter for copyrighted music videos

well, fuck. if nothing else, I'll download it and report back re: how well it works
>>
>>57720093
then I would try jdownloader
>>
File: WhatIsAnIntersectionGraph.png (40KB, 1509x752px) Image search: [Google]
WhatIsAnIntersectionGraph.png
40KB, 1509x752px
Posted this on /sci/.
Not getting any help.
Maybe an SE/Programmer can gimme some help?

Can someone explain what an "Intersection Graph" is?

>OR MORE IMPORTANTLY
How do I go about drawing one from this information?
How does an Intersection Graph relate to a regular Graph and its Adjacency Matrix?
>>
How can I learn to use Linux and become competent at running a Linux server? I want to one day be able to run game servers and stuff!

Also, where would I go about getting my hands on a Linux server to run said game servers on? Any recommendations? I know that's a long way away, but recommendations are always nice.
>>
>>57720017
some green fags have indeed bitched about the electricity consumption of datacenters, but they're a small (low single digit) percentage of our overall energy usage.

and actually if anything virtual machines have drastically cut energy usage. Before virtualization was a thing you'd have dozens of servers in every machine room that spent most of their time being almost idle. Load all those low-intensity services into VMs and you can put them onto much more efficiently-utilized machines. Almost all of the energy spent on computing is actually going to a useful purpose, in other words, instead of being wasted keeping machines up and ticking over waiting for some work to do.
>>
>>57720127
Can you stop being such a lazy fuck?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersection_graph
>>
>>57720017
So, the solution is... proprietary software? I don't see where you're getting at honestly.
>>
Which one should I install?
>>
>>57719844
Old fart with a mathemtical background but no experience in programming, I am very interested in Cybersecurity and Computer Networking (for no purpose other than interest - coming up to retirement). Where should I begin?
>>
I bought a custom cooler for my GPU but the fan connector is too big for the GPU one

What kind of cable am i suppose to buy to connect my new fans with my GPU?
>>
How do I make webm's?
I remember finding a tool that did it pretty easily but I can't remember what it was called, and google is terribly unhelpful on this.
>>
>>57720250
reddit

/r/python
/r/learningpython
/r/networking
/r/sysadmin
/r/cybersecurity/
>>
File: 35783577.png (143KB, 1000x901px) Image search: [Google]
35783577.png
143KB, 1000x901px
Say you wanna run Android x86 on one of these things, >pic related, and you wanna hook it up to a large touch sensitive display so that the whole thing works like a huge beefed up tablet without needing a keyboard, would that be possible?

I know how to get Android up and running on it but i'm not sure if and how its going to work with a non-phone / non-tablet touch display, like would it register touch inputs properly after just plugging it in or would it need special drivers / hours of config?
>>
>>57720169
Yes, I have that page open. I need at least a basic walkthrough of HOW to plot it.
Doesn't have to be my particular question, but I need to understand WHAT I do with those sets to generate points.

I'm a sperg, and I can't figure out what the relationship between these sets and the matrix I'll be making is.
The textbook I'm using is shit, and my teacher is high on this fucking McGraw Hill bullshit.
I ALWAYS fuck up with McGraw Hill books...

Simply put, I need THIS information:
>Those sets are not points. How do I convert them into points?
I can see that some of them are the same, but I don't know what to do with them, because they only have 1 coordinate on their own.
>Once I have the points, what is the relationship that I can use to generate an Adjacency Matrix?
I know how to make the matrix AND how to read it, but I have no idea what the relationship is from this question
>>
>>57720257
connect it to motherboard then

>>57720259
webm of what you do on your desktop, of your screen
or webm from a video?
on linux or windows?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (105KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
105KB, 1366x768px
i use ccleaner and auslogics duplicate file finder to find duplicate files. is there such a program to compare hard drives and find the files that arent duplicates and also allows you to copy them at once?

also, this one is pic related, is it worth having ccleaner monitor on?
>>
>>57720294
Screen would be preferable (assuming it also captures audio), otherwise video is fine.
Windows, but I have WSL so if it's a cli tool linux is fine.
>>
>>57720370
I dont think its that easy to just use linux tools to capture windows screen when they are designed for X

anyway webmcam is simple
https://github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam

or use the glorious and powrful OBS
https://obsproject.com/
>>
Posting this from the last thread.
> f g (x:xs) (y:ys) = g x y:f g xs ys
> f g _ _ = []

How is this Haskell code working? What does it actually do? How are you able to know its functionality right off the bat?
Help and thank in advance!
>>
>>57720271
>>57720169
Wait, I just read it over a couple times. Can someone check if my interpretation is correct?

>The intersection graph of a collection of sets A1, A2, . . . , An is the graph that has a vertex for each of these sets and has an edge connecting the vertices representing two sets if these sets have a nonempty intersection.
Do this mean:
1) Each set is its own point, and it is only 1 per set?
2) When an edge connects 2 sets, that means they have common elements?
2a) An edge means ANY number of common elements and no weight?

This is really the best I got... can someone please confirm if this is right?
>>
How the shit do I make a bootable Windows USB on OSX? Unetbootin and Boot Camp doesn't work. Do I have to install Windows in a VM and use Microsofts tool, or what?
>>
Anybody else having problems with Youtube videos loading super slowly?

As in it's a black screen that doesn't even start to buffer for like 10 seconds.
>>
>>57720312
the best I found is "duplicate finder"
stupid name.. and only the pro version is good, that compares whole directories...

https://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23533620&highlight=
>>
File: 1390990315533.jpg (33KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
1390990315533.jpg
33KB, 728x546px
How can I make wget stop downloading after a while? It's a livestream and I don't need it to download the whole thing.
>>
>>57720570
>TFW Still not 3D Printing schematics for car, so I CAN'T download the car
>>
>>57720535
Nope. This video loads perfectly for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZ5WL5cCg0

:3

Where do you live?
>>
>>57720409
It's a function that takes a function and two lists as parameters and recursively builds a new list with the passed function applied to the heads of each list until one or both of the passed lists is empty.
>>
>>57720459
Did you see the image on the Wikipedia page?

Example: On the image, the green set is intersecting the blue set, the yellow set, and the red set, but not the gray set.

So in the intersection graph, you would draw the green node (i.e. the node corresponding to the green set) as being connected to the blue, yellow and red nodes, but not to the gray node.

And yes, each set is a point/node on the graph. If a node is connected to another node, it means the equivalent sets are intersecting (that is, the sets have one or more elements in common). That's it.
>>
Are Samsung still the best price/quality SSDs? Thinking of getting a 256, maybe 512 gig one but I don't have a massive budget
>>
What's really the best computer for mobile programming?
>>
>>57719844
My computer fell over on its side earlier (poor case got scratches on it). Should I be worried at all that my HDD dipped a little bit in performance?
>>
File: inquisitive mew.jpg (12KB, 400x223px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitive mew.jpg
12KB, 400x223px
>>57720008
If you only use it at home, with power supply plugged in at all times, change the power settings from balanced (preserves battery) to high performance.

> winkey + type power options, hit enter
> click "Change plan settings"
> click "Change advanced power settings"
> in the dropdown menu, choose "High performance" rather than "Balanced" (which is usually active by default

My dad had a slow af cheap laptop and this actually fixed the shitty performance. It's still a shitty laptop obviously but it went from completely unusable to stable perfomance without significant lag as long as you don't overburden the system. But web browsing, office, movies etc run fine now.

Try it.
>>
>>57720647
Ok.
Alright, that makes more sense. I can start the graph now.

I'm still unsure of one thing: Are those blobs a PART of the graph, or are they just there for visual aid? (Would the graph still be done without the blobs?)
>>
>>57720698
That looks like a pretty big dip.
Run Speccy and check the drive in the storage section.
Post an image of the drive table
>>
>>57720742
Visual aid, the blobs represent the sets. You don't need them for the graph.
>>
File: BuYnLXe.png (33KB, 655x501px) Image search: [Google]
BuYnLXe.png
33KB, 655x501px
>>57720763
Why do you insist on speccy?
SMART data says it's okay.
>>
So theres some pretty good deals on the RX 470 at the moment, and it'd be a significant upgrade over my R9 270. And with the expenses that Christmas brings, it's probably my best option in the short term.

Just debating between getting it now, and maybe upgrade later next year to something better. Or just wait until Vega comes out and choose between that and a 1070.
>>
To be clear, I'm referring to the very beginning.
>>
File: spinpointf3.png (74KB, 594x521px) Image search: [Google]
spinpointf3.png
74KB, 594x521px
>>57720698
Looks normal to me
>>
>>57720806
meant for
>>57720698
>>57720789
>>
>>57719844
>Reddit and Morty picture
>>>/trash/
>>
>>57720785
Ok, thanks

>>57720789
>Why do you insist on speccy?
Because it lists all the SMART data and most people have it if they're on Windows. It's easy to find the potential problems that way.

And yeah, it seems fine based on that. You can check more into it, though, if the dip holds for a while.

It's not making any high-pitched whines or clicking sounds, is it?
>>
>>57720811
Eh, okay. This is a pretty new drive (only got it a week ago) and I've been putting stuff on it, so I guess it'll look a little different regardless of if the computer fell on its side.
>>
>>57720830
Not yet, it's making all the same sounds it did before when I download stuff to it, run games on it, etc.
>>
>>57720855
It's probably fine then. If it starts making clicking noises, though, then you'll have to monitor it, because that can mean the write/read head is coming in contact with the platter (which means it'll eventually dig through it)

On the other hand, how far did it fall? I just reread what you said, and it looks like it just tipped over. That probably wouldn't be an issue, especially if the drives are located towards the bottom of the tower (since less torque when the top of the tower hits the desk)
>>
>>57720266
Thanks
>>
Can I put a Samsung 850 EVO into my Thinkpad T530 and keep my HDD?
>>
>>57721072
Does the T530 have room for a second drive?
I'm not familiar with the model.
From what I looked up quickly, it doesn't seem to be able to fit 2, so I'm gonna say no (unless you don't mind one being connected externally)

What OS do you run, though? If it's a *NIX OS, you can probably just keep the OS on an SD card, since your system seems to have an SD card reader. Just go grab a 64/128/256 GB SD Card.

Then keep only data on the HDD
>>
>>57720638
Since I am a noob I want to know if I can define the function like this:

f :: [Int] -> [Int] -> [Int]
>>
is it possible to be completely off the internetradar through vpn and shit or is this just a meme
>>
I want to import a youtube playlist into google music. Is this possible?

In theory it would just have to get the names from youtube. Usually the format is [artist - song] or something like that. Check with some database, find the same titles in google music. A little hit and miss but overall that shouldn't be impossible...

anyone?
>>
>>57720897
Alright. It didn't really fall that far, like I said, it just fell on its side after it got bumped into. .
>>
have you ever gone to setup GPU passthrough and wound up building a custom kernel?
>>
Can you get in trouble on Amazon if you use your free 2-day shipping to send stuff to ebay buyers at a profit?

Considered doing it for newly released games to take advantage of that 20% discount, but not 100% sure it'd be worth it after tax and ebay seller fees. I guess I could have it shipped to myself and then reship it but that just makes the idea even less attractive.
>>
File: AbigailBreslin.jpg (835KB, 1619x2048px) Image search: [Google]
AbigailBreslin.jpg
835KB, 1619x2048px
How would I setup a speaker setup if I bought the following:

Insignia passive bookshelf speakers
Dayton sub 1000
Lepai 2020a+

I'm confused as to how the lepai can control the powered sub and the bookshelf's. Do I somehow wire from the lepai, to the sub and then from the sub to the bookshelf's? And have my speaker plugged in the amp?
>>
>>57721257
And have my computer plugged in the amp*
>>
>>57721252
It's definitely against their ToS but I'm not sure if they actually bother to do anything about it.
>>
>>57721240
Should be fine then
>>
>>57721142
Couldn't I remove the ODD drive and put the SSD in a caddy in that place? I use Windows.
>>
>DBAN a Seagate Barracuda
>plug into new PC (Win 7)
>BIOS detects it, Device Manager detects it, explorer does not
How can I make my HDD usable again?
>>
>>57721317
If it fits, you probably could.
I had considered that when originally responding, but I kinda decided against making the suggestion in case you need it.

But, you probably can.
>>
>>57721338
plug it into the old PC and make sure it has a partition table
>>
File: subwoofer_connect.png (676KB, 1746x992px) Image search: [Google]
subwoofer_connect.png
676KB, 1746x992px
>>57721257
>>
>>57721252
Unless you live in a place without sales tax I don't think it would be worth it. (And in that case you'd have to ship to yourself to be sure sales tax isn't charged, I would think.) Sales tax is like 6-9% and eBay charges you 10%, so with those together your profit is going to be pretty shit.
>>
>>57721359
never mind i misread that look for partition in the start menu and open the option create and manage partitions
>>
>>57721370
>>57721257
also this helps you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6s24fpDkk
>>
>>57719844
I just installed gnome the place where i get my software keeps crashing how do i stop this using my terminal
>>
>>57721293
Alright. Thanks, hope you're right.
>>
>>57721404
by installing KDE or xfce?
>>
Can I safely use server RAM on my desktop? It's so cheap.
>>
>>57720226
install Arch Linux
>>
File: Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 22-20.jpg (199KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 22-20.jpg
199KB, 1920x1200px
Does something like pic related exist

Just some graphical overlay on your wallpaper, to organise your desktop a little better. I'm pretty sure something like that exists in KDE but I'm not gonna switch systems for one feature

thanks in advance
>>
>>57720259
http://www.webmproject.org/tools/
>>
>>57721421
likely not
its probably ECC and your pc wont boot with it
>>
>>57721416
Well, like I said before that, just keep an eye on it. If you start noticing problems, then just go grab another. If it's still fine after about 2-3 weeks, it's almost definitely good.

There's no harm in being extra safe. But if it really did only tip over like that, probably not an issue
>>
>>57721457
Yes
http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Or just get the full thing:
http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/
>>
>>57721469
I see, I looked into it and it looks like my mobo doesn't support ECC. Oh well! Thanks.
>>
>>57721358
I haven't used a CD or a DVD in years and doubt I'll need to, I was mainly concerned about the ports, if anyone has experience with the process, are there any problems with caddy-to-SATA supporting SSD speeds etc. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>57719844
Ok, here is a question. It is more of a problem i have at work and I'm still trying to figure out a way to solve this shit.

So i guess I'll just post the TL:DR version.

I need to functional mouses working in the same machine while each one of them have it's own functional cursor.

I tried using TeamPlayer4 Free trial but only one mouse cursors is active at all times while the other one can only move itself, i also tried another software but that one straight up didn't work.

Now here is why i need 2 mouses working:

At work i have to fill a bunch of request forms, during the day i get around 20 to 40 forms to fill and it takes quite a while to do so. Since every form is filled in the exactly same way with the exactly same sentences i thought i could speed things up. I Tried using Selenium IDE on firefox to automate the filling of the forms but the systems has way too much shit on it for the software to fin the right places to fill in the forms. I tried to convert it into Python and java scripts and did some changes into the scripts but they still don't work.

So i just downloaded TinyTask, which just records my mouse movements and mouse/keyboard actions and repeats them over and over. It works like a charm but i can't use my mouse while the bot is on and I have other work do to.

Other solutions to this problem are welcome as well.
>>
File: partition tool.png (85KB, 1022x764px) Image search: [Google]
partition tool.png
85KB, 1022x764px
>>57721359
Unable to, but I'm 99% sure that's the problem as Device Manager didn't see one.

Found this program to create a partition. Pretty sure I'm meant to do primary partition (not logical). Since this drive is only for Windows (and I can add a second partition later), should I be picking NTFS?
>>
Lately my laptop has been entering sleep mode in the middle of a session. It's not shutting down by itself, but would the symptoms be the same (ie, an uncleaned fan?)
>>
>>57721614
unlikely
more like battery is failing
>>
>>57721578
>>57721399
Actually, I'll just use the Windows one you pointed out. But still, NTFS right?
>>
>>57721541
Shouldn't be an issue, so long as the ODD is connected to the Mobo using the same interface.

If it's already connected with a SATA 2/3, then it will probably be seamless.
Only concern might be fitting the cable in ur laptop, and make sure the caddy has the same interface ur looking for.
I don't see why the caddy would otherwise be a problem, unless the SSD and Mobo are SATA 3, and you get a SATA 2 caddy

>>57721578
NTFS supports a lot of features that FAT systems don't, and EXT is not usable with Windows.
So, unless your partition absolutely does not need Access Control or Encryption (or I think, compression either), and it also does not need to exceed 32GB (FAT32 maxes at 32GB. exFAT can go higher, but that tool doesn't show that option), then go NTFS
>>
>>57721664
Alright. Cheers mate, have a good day.
>>
>>57721626
I've had this laptop for just over 3 years, Toshiba Satellite U845W-S400. Would getting a battery replacement be fine?
>>
>>57721338
1. rightclick my computer
2. manage..
3. disk management
4. right click on seagate => make new partition
5. ???
6. PROFIT
>>
>>57721704
first confirm its not doing when its pluged and when battery is out

and sure.. if you find the replacement battery for like $25 then why not
>>
>>57721723
It was plugged in and charging when this most recently happened (within the last 30 minutes). This has been probably the third time this has occurred, I think every time it's happened while the power level was set to Eco Mode. Will look into battery replacement as a gift I guess.
>>
I made a botched install of python, uninstalled and reinstalled. I've fixed the file associations and PATH and such, but the icons for .py files are erroneous (pic related). Other python files like .pyw and .pyo are fine.

Any idea how to fix?
>>
>>57721370
Thank you

Does the amp matter? The 2020a+ will work fine?
>>
>>57721824
dunno the speakers, how much power they want...
you will hear distortion if its not...
>>
what are frameworks in web dev and why are they useful exactly?
>>
>>57721879
to setup and maintain shit more easily and efficiently
and to have separation between model and view, data and presentation as it would
>>
New build, about to put user accounts in. I'm doing an SSD boot drive + HDD set up, so I want all the Users data on the HDD.

What's the best way? I've seen symbolic links, ProfilesDirectory regedits and simply moving the folders all be recommended.
>>
Could anyone recommend a good ebook reader?
Would be reading pdf and epub. Would like the screen in color like a tablet for books with charts, colors exc.

Price maybe around 300$+-.
>>
>>57721904
just make folders movies, porn, photos, game installation, mp3s and copy your shit there

dont move your premade user folders, it can fuck you up in the ass, like with the last anniversary update
>>
File: kobo.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kobo.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>>57721907
Kobo Aura ONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSCHcBDU_Tk
>>
>>57721907
Amazon Kindle Fire (+/- HDX)
And it's also below your prices range.
https://smile.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-HDX-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B00BWYQ9YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480283930&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle%2Bfire%2Bhdx&th=1
>>
>>57721870
Just little insignia bookshelf speaker 8 ohm

It's going to be near field for computer listening so I'm sure the 2020a+ will suffice for the bookshelf's I was just worried about the sub. Like if the amp wouldn't give the proper signal to the sub or something.
>>
>>57721984
should be more than enough
and your sub is active one.. its powers on its own
>>
Britbong here, IP bill is coming soon and I have a question, does using another DNS (e.g OpenDNS) instead of the ISP's own mean that they can't log sites? I have a VPN anyway, just wondering
>>
>>57722020
doubt it
only if the ips would go for malicious compliance
>>
good tablet around $100 USD that i can use for reading/dumb playstore games?
>>
>>57722015
I know I meant signal as far as audio signal I'm very new to all this and I didn't know if the sub required a special signal from the amp compared to bookshelf speakers
>>
>>57719961
youtube-dl

It's a command line tool. Versatile, works on loads of sites.
Install it from github.

If you're not used to command line tools, don't be intimidated. It's easy.
There are loads of options and a huge list of instructions, but you can safely ignore them.
All you really need to do is open a terminal/cmd window and type

youtube-dl

then a space, then paste in the url of the video you want to download.

Youtube-dl will do the rest.
>>
>>57720008
Slap lubuntu or Puppy on that thing and get cracking
>>
File: Untitled.png (2KB, 419x48px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2KB, 419x48px
While back in the 3rd spot here where it says "Lists" it said "Orders" and I could click it to see my current orders. Then for some reason it changed. Anyone know how to change it back? I don't care about this list shit but being able to get to my orders quickly is useful.
>>
>>57721490
hmm. don't really like the look of it, guess i'll just create the wallpaper myself. thank you tho, apprectiate it
>>
File: Folders.png (11KB, 502x315px) Image search: [Google]
Folders.png
11KB, 502x315px
>>57721950
>dont move your premade user folders
Personally, I'm creating my own custom directory structure (pic related), but I doubt my other users will be as open minded. One in particular has a Desktop folder that won't even fit on the boot drive. So I need a way of having Windows not store the Desktop folder on my boot drive.
>>
>>57722063
I am not 100% sure
but I think it goes like this

from your pc audio analog signal goes to the amp
there it gets amplified to be more stronger so that speakers are loud enough
then this signal gets in to your sub where lower part gets cut off from it, how much is controlled by the knob on the back called crossover

the lower frequency part is used to tell subwoofer how to move the speaker

while the rest is send to the speakers to do the rest, I assume unaffected not amplified
>>
>>57722113
mouse over your account and click your orders or just bookmark the orders page?
>>
File: IPPacketStructure.jpg (74KB, 365x820px) Image search: [Google]
IPPacketStructure.jpg
74KB, 365x820px
>>57722020
A Domain Name Server just converts and IP address into a domain name and vice-versa.

It will still be sent as the IP address of the site you are visiting. And, by this structure of an IP Packet, the source and dest addresses are in the outer IP header of the VPN packet.
So, unless you use proxies, they can still probably get info on whatever evil sites you're visiting that you don't want people to know about. And, even so, you might want more than 1 proxy. You could consider Tor.

Of course, I'm making the pure assumption that you're using this exclusively for privacy concerns and paranoia, and NOT because you're up to no good in the neighbourhood.
>>
>>57722160
lots of those there in the picture should be on SSD

docs definitly as they tend to be small
editing.. fonts.. too
pictures like 4chan I keep on ssd too, I want to get thumbnails fast and its few GB

only large shit should be on HDD imo
otherwise you are just faggot slave of your SSD instead of it serving you
>>
>>57722042
>>57722185
Thanks, like I said I've already got a VPN, just don't want a list of all the sites I use to torrent linux isos saved somewhere. Tor is overkill for me.
>>
Whenever i add Sleep() to my c++ code my command console comes up empty
>>
File: digitalamp_image_01.jpg (73KB, 700x303px) Image search: [Google]
digitalamp_image_01.jpg
73KB, 700x303px
>>57722230
>So the sub does the processing and not the amp
processing?

small T amp like yours just increases the amplitude of the signal, making the signal stronger

>The sub just excludes a certain range from the speakers and that's why even a regular old 2.0 amp works?

I am not following on that sentance

subs have crossover which separates low frequencies from the signal so that speakers do not try to do them in vain when the big guy is there for them. All would be functional even if it did not do that, but its nice that it does it.
>>
>>57722183
Yeah I know I could do those things, but I think it would be useful to have the button on the toolbar here, not sure why it appeared there and then disappeared again.
>>
File: 300-628_ALT_1.jpg (411KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
300-628_ALT_1.jpg
411KB, 1800x1800px
>>57722346
yeap
>>
>>57722214
>lots of those there in the picture should be on SSD
That's just the current backup drive, I haven't moved anything across yet. The fonts will be installed there of course.

SSD is a bitch ass 120GB that's over half full just on Windows and smaller programs, so I don't want to put many folders in there. I might be able to store some editing resources, but not the raw video clips (or only very temporarily).
>>
>>57722391
google better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjBLuTwT6mM
>>
>>57722055
do i need to bump my budget?
>>
>>57721977
>>57721978
Thank you guys.

Can I put pirated books on them?
>>
>>57722546
buy whatever in that price range it matters not much

>>57722675
yes
>>
File: rIrfbyt.png (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rIrfbyt.png
151KB, 1920x1080px
Always have used a cheap $15 logitech keyboard and I am looking for an upgrade.

How does this look? It was recommended on logical increments

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HA201UK/ref=twister_B0195CSOH4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My main question is now Cherry MX Red vs Brown. I've been reading a lot of reviews on both and it seems people are pretty split when choosing these for casual use. I would be writing papers and browsing with it, but also playing some fast FPS/slow RPGs.

What do you guys think? As of right now I'm leaning towards the browns.
>>
>>57721977
Holy hell that's a beautifully shot video.
>>
>>57722903
brown > red
why going mechanical without tactile...

and would more likely go for Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro
or Logitech G610
though logitech does not have standard keycaps size so its not loved in mech keyboard community because you have harder time buying custom keycaps for it
>>
>>57719844

Should I use chipset and ethernet drivers from Intel or the manufacturer of my motherboard? Does it matter?
>>
Is there an alternative to windows photo viewer, I want to view gifs, but they are frozen whenever I view them.
>>
>>57723080
motherboard site, only if you experience issues you go looking for extra
>>
>>57723093
yes there are, shockingly
now go google your question you retarded kike faggot
>>
How can I follow a link and have it automatically open in Firefox's reader mode?
>>
/g/ approved pdf readers that can highlight stuff for later user
summatra doesnt do this
>>
>>57723124
Correction, what would you recommend as a program for viewing photos?
>>
>>57723246
irfanview
xnview
>>
Is it a good idea to buy a RPi3 for a retropie box? Planning to hook it up to an old monitor and arcade stick.
>>
Planning on upgrading some computer parts this Christmas.

Old (current) specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ACuteLoli/saved/jjPnQ7

New (possible) specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ACuteLoli/saved/3Yxcf7

Any recommendations? I plan on transferring everything to a new case, but I've never worked with physical parts before. What're the odds of me destroying everything in the process? My computer is just a prebuilt CyberPower computer and it has some sort of watercooling but I have no idea what.

Also, the "new" case is just some variation of a case I found on Logical Increments. If you have any other case recommendations, please let me know.
>>
If Kaby Lake is soon upon us the when is Skylake-E gonna happen?
>>
>>57719961
>>57722075
YoutubeDLG, because a gui is essential.

>>57719986
Doesn't do 1080p without a converter, probably doesn't do 4k well either. Stopped using this for YT a while ago.
>>
When I try to play Project Cars at fullscreen with my 59hz 1680x1050 monitor, there is massive flickering.

I don't know what to do

Jesus christ how did the developers fuck this up

GTX 770 2gb
FX 6300
>>
Have laptop under desk, its connected to a monitor. I want to leave the laptop under the desk and not use have to look at it. Its plugged in the USB ports face out.

I will open it and wire up a momentary switch to the power button and have that swith on my desk.

How the hell do i splice a wire into that thin ribbon cable shit? Is there an easy way?
>>
>>57723434
The cable in question. That looks a bit more complicated than i thought.
>>
I need an app for managing Android apps that's non-root. MIUI doesn't let you disable a bunch of shit despite the fact that none of them are system apps. Preferably, I'm looking for something like the default menus in Marshmellow or Nougat.
>>
File: 51xQ1eK+D0L._SL1000_.jpg (55KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51xQ1eK+D0L._SL1000_.jpg
55KB, 1000x1000px
My boss bought an Apple TV for our conference room that he wants to connect his PC laptop to through hdmi in the most hassle free way (wireless). We occasionally alternate between each other from laptop to laptop (for the PCs at least, since the employees with a Mac is just AirPlay)

What is the best solution to this? I'm guessing a wireless HDMI set, right? Something like pic related?

Please help...
>>
>>57719844
Are ethernet cables all the same? I have one from probably five years ago. Is it any different from what's sold now?
>>
>>57723336
Please someone halp, I need to have a final decision by tomorrow for cyber monday.
>>
>>57723465
>>57723434
This time with pic..

Imbthinking ofbusing those clip things with the razor in them, you just push the cable into them and it gets a cobnection. Dont know what they are called though.
>>
File: 1480198966713.gif (88KB, 10000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
1480198966713.gif
88KB, 10000x10000px
why
>>
>>57723552
Anyone? Would appreciate suggestions.
>>
File: AOC E2270Sw.jpg (251KB, 1920x1493px) Image search: [Google]
AOC E2270Sw.jpg
251KB, 1920x1493px
How badly did I fuck up?

I was in dire need to change my monitor and this was the most appropriate one I could find on short notice.

It looks really foggy everywhere and the viewing angle is fucktiny. Is this a common thing with new screens? It looks really fuckin horrible in comparison to my old one that died.
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (2KB, 389x33px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.png
2KB, 389x33px
how do i stop getting shit i dont want install
how do i find out what shit is installing the unwanted shit
how do i maintain a computer
>>
I'm buying a new monitor., but I'm poor so I have to choose between things like 1440p, 144 hz, or 1ms response time. Which is best for general use?

Also are korean crossover monitors a scam
>>
>>57723336
Seems you'll be fine but I do recommend windows 10 but that's just preference honestly.
>>
How can I make my Windows 7 computer default to headphones when they're plugged in and then default to speakers when they're not?
>>
Nevermind, I'll just plug the headphones into the speakers.
>>
>>57719844
Why should i learn assembly in 2016? Do i need it for embedded development?
>>
File: Door.jpg (205KB, 708x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Door.jpg
205KB, 708x1000px
>>57723060
Awesome thanks for the feedback. Yeah it looks like brown is the way to go for my uses/being a new user. I've only used shit rubber domes so I'm excited to feel the difference.

This is what I've been using for years. https://secure.logitech.com/en-us/product/k120

Also I like that Cooler Master keyboard, matches my tower case anyway
>>
File: 1472414112602.jpg (542KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1472414112602.jpg
542KB, 1920x1200px
What brand should I go with for a 1 or 2 tb external hard drive? This and a microsd are the only things I'll be getting tomorrow so please respond if you know.
>>
>>57723552
Anybody???
>>
What causes files to sometimes prevent me from uninstalling them. I always seem to get the "You need permission from Admin to make changes to this file" even though I'm fucking Admin, heck even the only account.
>>
>>57719844
Is there a reason for running an OS on an hard drive connected with SATA? Is USB 3 sufficient for daily use?
>>
What's the difference between these two memory modules?

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX316C10FB_8.pdf
http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX316C10FR_8.pdf

Will they work on dual-channel mode?
>>
File: speccy.jpg (126KB, 974x726px) Image search: [Google]
speccy.jpg
126KB, 974x726px
Hey guys,

I've posted in a few speccy threads and haven't got an answer.

I built my desktop back in 2012 and haven't touched it since. Only just now is it starting to become noticeably weaker with newer games.

I'm really only interested with 1080p at this point in my life and along with a much better case (Enthoo Pro) and screen, I'm going to buy a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - Boost clock 1873 MHz

Is this a good buy for my needs and should I upgrade anything else? I based these decisions mostly off of Logical Increments.

Here is the screen I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFCVKI4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for any input guys.
>>
>>57724545
Holy shit, are you me?

I'm using that exact monitor right now and plan on upgrading my system as well (bought a prebuilt CyberPower back in 2013, haven't touched since). I'm thinking about getting the EVGA SC 1060 6GB and the Enthoo Pro but with the acrylic side screen (found randomly while searching on PCPartPicker and I like the look better).

Btw, it's a decent monitor from what I can tell. Been using it the past 3 years and it's served me well. Might get a few smudges on the screen but that's about it.

Me: >>57723336
>>
Should I get the GTX 1080 or 1070? Will I notice a difference at 1440p?
>>
>>57724634
Also would like to know this
>>
>>57724528
Anyone please? I'm really confused about this
>>
>>57724615
Man, I'm torn on whether to get the enthoo pro with a side panel or not. Honestly I've never been into or very good at being super organized in cable management so I feel like it would just highlight my messiness haha.

Or maybe the side panel will be what forces me to learn. The non-panel versions are always out of stock on amazon anyway
>>
File: 1362012394444.jpg (81KB, 799x596px) Image search: [Google]
1362012394444.jpg
81KB, 799x596px
I'm looking to pick up a Core i7-6700k LGA2011-v3, right now the price is about $375 with black Friday deals. I know that a lot of people say black Friday isn't worth it but this is still a relatively new processor, how low should I reasonably expect it to go?
>>
How do I transform .bat files into .exe or .com?

content of .bat:
"Python 3.5.2\python.exe" "Streamlink\Streamlink.py" --rtmp-rtmpdump "Streamlink\rtmpdump\rtmpdump.exe" --config "streamlinkrc" %*
>>
What setting should I use for mpv on my PC?

CPU is Intel 3825U

Graphics is:

The integrated HD Graphics (Broadwell) offers 12 Execution Units (EUs) clocked at 100 - 850 MHz. Similar to the CPU core, the GPU architecture (Intel Gen 8) has been thoroughly revised for improved performance-per-clock. We expect the HD Graphics (Broadwell) to beat the HD Graphics (Haswell) (10 EUs) as well as the HD Graphics 4200 (20 EUs), both part of the Haswell generation. Nevertheless, most games as of 2015 should be playable only in very low settings.

Broadwell is the first Intel chip to fully support DirectX 11.2 as well as OpenCL 1.3/2.0 and OpenGL 4.3. Video will output natively via DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 1.4a. However, the new HDMI 2.0 standard is not officially supported.
>>
>>57719844
Anyone got a command-line program that can rename audio files based on audio tags?
>>
File: 1431486669841.png (518KB, 763x992px) Image search: [Google]
1431486669841.png
518KB, 763x992px
Ok /g/, feeling a bit like a retarded here, got a bunch of stuff on Black Friday for my first pc build, problem is, the memories are ddr3 1600mhz, which is fine execpt for the fact that now i can't find a mobo compatible with the ddr3 1600mhz, RX460 and FX 8370E in my country, at least not one i can pay for, so my question is:
What are the cheapest motherboards compatible with that shit?
>>
Should I be okay with using a Corsair TX650 V2 power supply from my current build to use in a brand new PC I'm building? The math on the wattage for the new build works out to about 340W so numbers-wise it sounds fine to me but I don't know if I'm missing something.
>>
looking into being a bit more mobile with reading/gaming but trying to figure out what would be better: a handheld like 3ds + an ereader like kindle or an android tablet for reading + gaming via emulation or google play stuff, any thoughts?
>>
Is there a way to macro Discord properly?

I have my button set to run C:\Users\AutisticFaggot\AppData\Local\Discord\Update.exe --processStart Discord.exe

Which is what the actual desktop icon uses. However, it takes too long to open. By setting it to Discord.exe directly, it's the same result.

How do I just make it pop up instantly like clicking it from the taskbar notification area does?

I did one for Spotify and it works perfectly.
>>
File: 1480299305494-196866190.jpg (564KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1480299305494-196866190.jpg
564KB, 2048x1152px
Trying to install drivers for my new build, but it's not recognizing my wireless usb adapter. I'm using a TP-LINK, but when installing the drivers for it from the website it says that there isnt one plugged in. The light on the TP-LINK doesn't turn on either.

Oddly enough, it's not recognizing any USB thumbdrives either, despite the fact that they light up, even though the keyboard and mouse operate just fine.

Any advice?
>>
>>57719844
I'm trying to make an autohotkey script where when I press down the z key it fires and then releases the key as soon as possible whether or not it's still pressed.

Any hints?
>>
File: jhc9s6.png (110KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
jhc9s6.png
110KB, 1366x768px
How do i fix this?
>>
Is it illegal to stand around checking other men's "equipment" in the men's room?
>>
How do I blacklist the window manager in xubuntu so that it stops doing what it does in some programs? I have an art program that has ALT keybinded to the eyedropper for example, but the Window Manager keeps me from using it and moves the whole window instead.

It's not too bad to be honest, but its really annoying.
>>
>>57726076
solved.
eopkg install -c system.kernel
restart setup
done
>>
Are there any benefits to SAS III 12gb/s controllers that make them worth bothering with over current SAS II 6gb/s controllers besides bandwidth?
>>
Is it possible to break my fucking CPU by putting it in the wrong MoBo?
>>
Raid hd died,model is discontinued(6 yers old). Should i just get the same brand,size,rpm as a replacement?
>>
File: image.png (398KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
398KB, 750x1334px
Is this a good laptop for general non-gaming use
>>
>>57726287

It's possible. Depending on what kind of CPU/MoBo it was. But if everything looks ok, and no pins bent, you should be ok.
>>
>>57720266
>>57720250

Add r/netsec to the list
>>
>>57726443
Yeah the clampy thing that you're supposed to push down wasn't going so I tried using more force than usual, and the CPU fucking cracked. I hate this. $400 down the fucking drain.
>>
>>57726462

It cracked? O man, I am so sorry. How bad? Can you take a picture?
>>
>>57724545

I'm running at 1080p and I upgraded from a 660 to a 1060 recently. It was well worth it.
>>
>>57724754

I've never in my life heard of anyone wanting to do that, but here you go:

http://www.howtogeek.com/50364/convert-a-batch-bat-script-to-an-executable-exe-file/
>>
How does thermal paste work, as in what do I apply it on?
>>
>>57726609
The cpu, or anything that needs it for thermal conductivity.
>>
>>57726609
It's like... thermal!
>>
>>57726609
Also, i feel like if you gotta ask this, you should probably get help building it.
>>
How do I get rid of the phone/camera quicklaunch on my lock screen? Nova Launcher and have xposed
>>
How do I get an IT support job without experience? I know the basic troubleshooting of computers and networks, even some programming.
>>
working in rails right now. why do i keep getting the error: undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass

when i am trying to make an ajax call like this:

def search    
name = params[:search] + '%'
@recipes = Recipe.where(['name LIKE ?', name])

respond_to do |format|
format.html
format.js
end
end

this is copied from a tutorial and i copied every step. where would i set up the '+' function to concatenate Strings?
>>
File: Capture.png (512KB, 936x521px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
512KB, 936x521px
When reinstalling 8.1 on a PC, I always have issues with running windows updates, it just checks forever and never works no matter what

Someone told me this is because an initial update needs to be ran first to get WinUpdate working. Problem is I dont know what this update is called or where to find it

Does anybody know the solution to this?
>>
File: 0376259069.jpg (56KB, 620x451px) Image search: [Google]
0376259069.jpg
56KB, 620x451px
On the topic of WEB-DLs, I've recently been reading that it's more often better to download the 720p because the 1080p is "bit-starved", that is, the bit rate ratio is much lower than 2.25 times of that the 720p.

My question is, if I'm going to be watching it on a 1080p display, even if the ratio isn't correct, wouldn't the extra bit-rate no matter how little be beneficial? Wouldn't up-scaling the 720p to a 1080p display artificially cause it to be bit-starved anyway?
>>
File: smile.jpg (45KB, 363x238px) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
45KB, 363x238px
I want a cheap 7-8 inch tablet, and the Fire 7 and Fire HD 8 are both on sale. I'd prefer the 8-incher, but the Fire 7 supports root/custom roms and the Fire HD 8 does not.

How long does it typically take for such support to appear?
>>
>>57725376
help me /g/wan kenobi you're my only hope
>>
Will my oc'ed 2500k bottleneck a 1070 ?

Thanks
>>
File: Renault_Zoe.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Renault_Zoe.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
So what is supposed to stop someone from stealing the charging cable for your car?
>>
File: Renault Twizy.jpg (122KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Renault Twizy.jpg
122KB, 800x533px
>>57727615
5 seconds after I posted I realized the cable is probably anchored to the charging station.
>>
Question about BASIC on macros on LibreOffice:

REM ***** BASIC *****

Sub hell_world
dim hell_world as object
hell_world = Range("G31:G42")
Range("H45") = WorksheetFunction.Average(hell_world)
End Sub

I have that and I get the error:
BASIC runtime error.
Sub-procedure or function procedure not defined.

What should I do? Thanks.
>>
Which is best text editor: atom.io, brackets.io, or sublime text? Or is there a better one? Does it really make a difference which you use, other than for aesthetic purposes? Like, do some offer better functionality than others?
>>
File: 1475547785671.jpg (26KB, 527x578px) Image search: [Google]
1475547785671.jpg
26KB, 527x578px
>try writing first "big" program
>the code is a mess and don't feel like working on it
what do
>>
>>57727668
do you have to pay for electricity?
>>
Why do some people put their task bar or panel across the top of the screen?

When you do that the buttons to control your windows also get clustered near the top of your screen, notably the tabs of your browser. That looks crappy and you have to slow down to click on the right thing.

And why do a lot of people use two panels in MATE or Xfce? There's plenty of space for all your elements in one panel. Using an extra panel just eats up your screen space. If you run out of room for window buttons move to another workspace.
>>
>>57728238
join the club
>>
Are there any free reverse proxy services?
>>
Do you ever shut off your PC? I've had mine on for over a month, and I feel like it's too late to go back.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (156KB, 1117x944px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
156KB, 1117x944px
ITS CYBER MONDAY AND I'VE BEEN DYING TO UPGRADE FROM MY 960 2GB VRAM. I FOUND 2 1070'S I LIKE BUT I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE IS BETTER! Please help.
pic related
>>
Is there a way to make mpv open in the same size and place every time it is opened?

Do I need to AutoHotkey it?
>>
What filesystem should I format a 2TB drive with if I want to be able to use it effortlessly in both Windows and Linux?
>>
looking into being a bit more mobile with reading/gaming but trying to figure out what would be better: a handheld like 3ds + an ereader like kindle or an android tablet for reading + gaming via emulation or google play stuff, any thoughts??
>>
>>57728571
Why woudnt anyone shut off their PC? Nigga it takes like 10 seconds to boot from SSD. You can't be that impatient.

Jeez, at least put it into sleep mode.

>>57728672
NTFS is the only good file system on windows side.

>>57728615
If they both have two fans then compare clock speeds with prices. Take the faster one unless the slower one is significantly cheaper.
>>
What are some tools i might need when it comes to repair computers?

Phillips screwdriver, canned air, isopropyl alcohol, what else?

Would this screwdriver set be enough?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008TM1910/
>>
>>57728863
>NTFS is the only good file system on windows side.
Yeah, but I've had issues with writing to it from Linux. Would FAT32 be sufficient or is there some newer equivalent that I'm not aware of?
>>
>>57728876
I'm on my PC all day every day, what's 5-6 hours of powering down matter? :^)
>>
>>57728672
>>57728877
NTFS.

When you are installing linux it will reformat the partition to whatever it finds best so dont worry about that.

On the other hand windows will complain if you use something other than NTFS.

FAT32 is fine for windows x32 bits but you shouldn't be using it this days.
>>
>>57728915
It won't be holding my OSes, I have an SSD for that. It's just a storage drive.
>>
test
>>
>>57728877
FAT32 has a file size limitation of 4GB and doesn't like large files in general. Also it fragments faster than NTFS and doesn't have any advanced features like compression.

But as a storage drive it should be fine.
>>
File: 1344563340001.gif (8KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1344563340001.gif
8KB, 645x773px
what do i encrypt my external drive with?
>>
>>57728819
pls team
>>
>>57719844
Installed new SSD on laptop. Now laptop wont Shutdown/Sleep/Hibernate/Restart properly. MX300 with latest firmware.

What could be causing the problem?
>>
>>57729053
What do you mean by properly? What happens if you type "shutdown /p /f" into cmd?
>>
File: 1279218451816.jpg (33KB, 371x404px) Image search: [Google]
1279218451816.jpg
33KB, 371x404px
6850k for 200
6700k for 135
or wait for Zen?
>>
>>57729224
6700k unless you really need extra threads.
>>
>>57729177
Screen turns off, fan turns on nonstop, power lights stay on. Have to force it to turn off after several minutes. Boots up normally though.
>>
I got an i7 6800k and a water cooler on black friday. What should I over clock it to? It seems like 4.0 is the safe bet.
>>
should i lie on my resume about my skills?
>>
>>57729224
If Zen is good, intel prices might go down.
If Zen is garbage, intel prices won't really go up because nothing will have changed.
>>
Does downsampling from 1440p or any high resolution have any negative effects? Does it put more stress on my GPU than usual? FPS in games haven't seemed to drop.
>>
>>57719844
What is a good adblock for android 4.2.1, I'm currently using chrome so a suggestions for better browsers are also welcome.
>>
TL;DR: Debian testing/sid crashes on boot with KMS.

I switched my gpu to an RX480. As it happens, the driver (amdgpu) needs KMS enabled to work.

When loading with KMS the system crashes during boot (blank screen, caps key and power button non-responsive, no ssh).

I can still boot by adding [nomodeset] on the kernel params, but then it will only load the vesa driver. During boot, I get the message
[drm:amdgpu_init[amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting

when trying to switch modes, which seems to be 2-3 times during boot (different attempts?).

I tried forcing the amdgpu blobs into initramfs:
amdgpu >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules; update-initramfs -k all -u

which causes the fans to spin up, but still crashes on boot.

modprobe amdgpu returns the same VGACON error.

I also tried with different previous kernels (4.6.0 and 4.7.0) with the same results.

Basically, I think the problem is related to KMS and not so much with the driver itself.

I'm using the latest testing kernel (4.8.0-1-amd), no DE, just boot to tty and xinit.

I've been researching this for a few weeks on and off, and I'm yet to find a solution.

I'll be up for a while if you have any suggestions.
>>
>>57729633
Firefox + uBlock origin or AdAway.
>>
Xubuntu or Kubuntu?
>>
>>57729561
Downsampling from resoultions that arent exact multipliers of your native one can result in edge softness or artifacting.
>>
File: ffmpeg.jpg (32KB, 428x240px) Image search: [Google]
ffmpeg.jpg
32KB, 428x240px
If time spent encoding is of no matter is there any reason to use .264 over something more intensive like .265, or vp9?
>>
>>57729706
Xubuntu !
>>57728422
personal preference
>>
>>57729839
compatability

if the target only supports h.264, then that's what you need to use

otherwise no, h.265 is better (VP9 is supposedly similar, but my own testing shows otherwise, which is unfortunate, as i do prefer open formats)
>>
Why does my ram usage never reach 100% on an old 1GB ram PC ? even if i try
>>57729874
its compatibility you silly goose
>>
>>57729874
allright thanks

also a bit of a random question but If take the exact same source file, use the exact same settings in ffmpeg, but do this encode on two separate computers, will the output be bit for bit exactly the same?
>>
How likely is it that sites that push their apps hardest in your mobile browser are purposefully making their mobile sites as inefficient as possible? I notice on a lot of normie sites like plebbit and facebook that typing almost crashes my phone/tablet nowadays, I get the feeling they're doing it on purpose
>>
>>57720131
Install linux
>>
>>57729910
Paging. The operating system is actively trying to not hit 100% RAM usage
>>
Help me out bros. I'm looking for a way to control YouTube videos playback speed on Android. Other than downloading them of course
>>
>>57730057
I think it's probably more the fact they don't spend time making sure their desktop site works well on mobiles, since they are already doing that with the app. I'm sure some sites do it of course.
>>
>>57730052
the term you're looking for is "is the result deterministic?"
i'm not 100% sure, but i believe x265/x264 are deterministic by default, given exactly the same settings and running with the same set of CPU features
for normal usage (aka, not debugging or something), you don't need to be concerned about whether the output is deterministic or not
>>
>>57730082
Update, just tried BSPlayer and it kinda works but the increased speed compresses the sound in a choppy way and skips a lot of dialogue
>>
>>57730236
I was just curious as to whether your hardware changes the way the minute details of a encode.

Also I just did a tester, ripping an old Bill bailey dvd, 90 minutes long, only 720 resolution. At highest quality settings with 2 pass .265 it was going to take 2 days, I think my laptop would melt. it's a 5 year old i7 I thought it would handle that but apparently handbrake doesn't support multicore processing which is odd.
>>
>>57730280
the slower x265 presets are excrutiatingly slow, even on current cpus
x264 has been around much longer, and is much more optimized
but x265 at faster presets (such as the default "medium", which is not that slow on modern cpus) often gives better compression than x264 at slower presets which may not even be faster to encode

if you're not sure what to pick, just pick the slowest one you can put up with, if 2 days for a dvd encode is unacceptable, use a faster preset (or switch back to x264)
>>
>>57728633
https://mpv.io/manual/master/
--geometry
and
--autofit
is what you need.
>>
what size swap partition should I use for phone with 1gb RAM?
>>
Yesterday I joined for the first time a /g/ irc channel on rizon and it showed (i believe publicly) the name of my internet provider and my country. Is that normal? Everybody else had something different when they joined
>>
>>57730542
thats normal in every IRC server.
your IP is public in IRC
even if it didnt show your country, anyone interested could find it using your IP
>>
Who makes the most reliable harddrives and who makes the least reliable?

I'm deciding between a 5TB or 8TB seagate, and if seagate is poor I'll just go with the smaller volume to get me by and buy larger later formy network.
>>
>>57730458
Sweet. Cheers.
>>
do power options on a laptop affect download speeds? i.e battery saver to balanced to high performance.
>>
>>57730675
>8TB
Aren't all 8TB drives shingled?
>>
>>57730675
HGST is most reliable from experience, seagate is least reliable from anecdote

>>57730542
yeah, that's normal, some people have virtual hosts they've gotten through one of the services (hostServ, works similar to NickServ/ChanServ)

>>57729839
h264 works on a larger number of devices; I found out a couple days ago that my smart tv can't decode h265

>>57729706
xubuntu

>>57729634
try the mailing lists for specific information like this
https://www.debian.org/MailingLists/
you probably want https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/ though

>>57729486
exaggerate only as far as you can reliably bullshit

>>57728973
LUKS if you're on linux
probably veracrypt if you're on windows
>>
What's the worst thing.that could happen if my rig uses more power than the PSU is capable to manage?
>>
>>57730771
Your PSU shuts down to prevent undervoltage. So your PC will suddendly switch off if it draws too much power.
>>
>>57729706
posting from xubuntu
>>
>>57730721
probably if the power profile affects the wlan card, which it probably does, and this can be changed through configuring the settings of it

>>57730771
overheating, burning, unless your PSU has protection against it, in which case it'll just do what >>57730785 said (it probably does unless you have a cheap as fuck power supply)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DVM_N8UWQ
>>
>>57730801
>>57730785
It's a Dell precision workstation
>inb4 proprietary hardware cuck
Yeah ik. Problem is I don't know anything about the PSU it's 425watt. Thinking about switching the low power gpu with a 480. Cpu is a xeon 1650 which uses about 130 watt at load. Am I safe or should I get a new PSU?
>>
>>57730853
>I don't k ow anything about the PSU
Like the brand or model
>>
>>57730853
does the PSU even have a 6-pin PCI power connector? I don't know what the 480's power draw really is, but AMD lists it as 150W, which plus the 130 is leaving you with 145W, which is enough for hard drives, motherboard, and so on
should be safe
>>
File: yhPaKF6.jpg (995KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
yhPaKF6.jpg
995KB, 1520x2688px
>>57730901
There's this
I'll just need to get the gpu and a cable I suppose?
>>
Why do hardware manufacters design these aesthetically pleasing cases for GPU's on the side that faces downwards that you don't see, wheras the other side that you do see looks plain as fuck?
>>
>>57730901
Oh the 1650 may use 180watt at load what the fuck
>>
>>57730968
yeah, that's what it looks like, just be sure to get a 8-to-6-pin PCIe power connector

>>57730976
marketing

>>57730986
still shouldn't be an issue, might run your power supply hotter though
if the heat from it becomes an issue, add fans
>>
I have a budget of slightly less than $1k to upgrade my toaster. How awful is this? I already have an EVGA 650w modular power supply and a case/peripherals I like so I don't need those.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7x46qk
>>
>>57731026
>I already have an EVGA 650w modular power supply and a case/peripherals I like so I don't need those.
just for reference, you can add these parts and list a custom price as $0

if the SSD here is your only hard drive, you should probably pick up another mechanical drive for storage since 240GB goes up quick
also on the SSD, I don't know anything about this brand ADATA, and would add that you should look into a more well-known manufacturer and ask around pc building sites on which ones are reliable
>>
How long desktop DDR3s are going to stay relevant? Also wold 2+2+4gb or 2+2+2+2gb work better?
>>
>>57731018
>marketing

But why not just design it so the good looking shit is on the other side?
>>
>>57731086
I don't know why there's not more aesthetics on the top of the card which we see more often, or why the fans aren't on the top aside from the hazard posed by anything falling and potentially damaging/seizing the fan
heat, maybe, since the CPU's heat sink above the card would blow into the card's intake

>>57731078
talking out my ass here, but probably 2/2/2/2, because it would saturate the memory channels instead of having just one doubled
>>
>>57731054
I have there regular hard drives, a 1TB, a 500GB, and a smaller one whose size I forget but the first OS it carried was Win95. I just want the SSD for games and it was suggested to me to put my OS on one.
>>
>>57731143
this should be good then
I'm assuming that you've already checked that your case can fit a full atx board
I had a microatx case and board back in 2012, upgrading to atx I didn't check if the board would fit and ran it on the floor for a week
>>
File: sd.jpg (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sd.jpg
70KB, 1920x1080px
Could anybody translate this please. Have tried gif, jp and R with no succcess
>>
Why does my monitor look best on the "Game" setting?
>>
File: speccy.jpg (92KB, 654x620px) Image search: [Google]
speccy.jpg
92KB, 654x620px
What should I upgrade?
>>
File: 1475520965972.jpg (77KB, 567x840px) Image search: [Google]
1475520965972.jpg
77KB, 567x840px
>>57721571
Plz respond
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-28+at+05.38.43).png (22KB, 557x404px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-28+at+05.38.43).png
22KB, 557x404px
Whenever I download a game from Steam it briefly freezes itself or my entire pc every few seconds
This happens ONLY with Steam downloads
Any download from anywhere else works fine
Running already-downloaded online games in Steam works fine

Standard google solutions don't work. I've run flushconfig, cleared the download cache, run as admin, unticked "read-only" on the Steam directory, force-unparked CPU cores, completely uninstalled and reinstalled to a different directory, disabled cloud saves and auto-updates, throttling download speed, etc.

I'm getting 100% CPU spikes during the freeze, I can't tell if that's the only direct cause of the freezing or if there are disk/network issues simultaneously
HDD shows no problems at all with SeaTools, and again, I can download literally anything else without trouble

Any idea as to what would be causing this and how to fix it?
>>
Im using a cable to connect my internal ssd of a windows pc to my laptop running xubuntu (sata to usb) but its not showing up? What do i need to do? I ran lsusb and ita showing up there...
>>
>>57731229
>>>/wsr/
also google translate has a handwrite japanese feature

>>57731236
motherboard, ram, maybe a newer cpu

>>57731287
post the output of
ls /dev/sd*
from a terminal
>>
>>57721571
>>57731262
use a dedicated virtual machine, or scripts that send the corresponding POST data (which would probably be best done in something like bash, of course with openssl/curl)
>>
>>57731309
What CPU would you suggest? i5 6600?
>>
>>57731365
I don't know anything about post generation 4 processors, sorry anon
check logicalincrements.com and >>>/g/pcbg
>>
>>57731229
i can't read the red text, my kanji is bad
bottom is 長澤あずさ, nagasawa azusa
>>
>>57731309
Sda
Sda1
Sda2
Sda5
Sdb
All dev/
>>
>>57720226
Desktop: cinnamon
Noebook: GNOME
>>
File: Capture.png (6KB, 251x330px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6KB, 251x330px
Why won't this C++ code compile???
>>
>>57731420
sdb should be the device
try
lsblk
>>
File: DSC_1257.jpg (2MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1257.jpg
2MB, 3920x2204px
>>57731500
Idk what im looking at here
>>
>>57731499
nested functions aren't legal C++

>>57731518
sda is the root disk (i.e. the one you're booting off of, similar to C:\)
sdb would probably be the usb assuming there aren't any flash drives or anything plugged in
>>
>>57720250
Check out the current humble bundle books.
It has some good reads in it
>>
File: 1259882792344.gif (3KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1259882792344.gif
3KB, 250x242px
I live in a share house in Japan and every once in a while I become unable to access websites for a few minutes until it comes back. Every other software but the browser works fine (ie. Skype, p2p stuff) which makes me think it was a DNS issue.

I added the Google DNS stuff to my connection settings but the problem still persists. What should I do in this position? Keep in mind that I have no access to the router and all I have is a ethernet cable that comes from the wall.
>>
>>57731555
Ah ok, so at least it is showing up, but what do i meed to do to work with it? Im prwtty sure its ntfs. Do i need to mount it? How?
>>
optimal viewing distance for a 27" 1080p monitor
every forum talking about this is like "lol just arms length"

people have different length arms gholy fuck i hate these mogns
>>
Entering the boot set-up (ctrl+s on my pc) doesn't let me edit the BIOS, only brings up a useless menu that lets me set how long it will wait for the set-up shortcut on startup, wether to use the BIOS at all, and two or three other things. What the hell?
>>
File: you_cant_make_thir_corn_up.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
you_cant_make_thir_corn_up.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
>>57731616
Are you really that much of a faggot that you need to hear an exact number from a person on the internet to position your head?
Do you hold still the whole time or restrict your movement?
Pro tip: Once you have the optimal distance cut your arm to that length so your brain won't have to do some thinking itself.
I really hope this was bait
>>
>>57731614
it doesn't seem to be partitioned based on the lack of /dev/sdbX (where X are numbers) files, try seeing what
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb
lists for partitions
>>
>>57731664
i'd love a range other than "ur arm lol"
i remember seeing a guide for televisions, 32inch = 1.0m-1.2m, 40inch 5.0ft-8.2ft, 1080 ofc.

like "just use ur arm bro" is so fucking gay and if u think that's a fair approximate measurement you're a fuckin drongle bongle bing bong fuckfag
>>
File: LTgAmFV.jpg (979KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
LTgAmFV.jpg
979KB, 1080x1920px
okay memes aside whats the best way to treat/charge li-ion batteries in smartphone. do you charge when low battery or charge whenever you're not at 100% and you can. because I've heard both from you guys.
>>
>>57731684
I've heard to let it mostly discharge before charging
>>>/diy/ may know more
>>
>>57731681
I would get the point if you are some sort of midget or otherwire physically challenged
But I guess that's what this thread is for
>>
>>57731720
I'm not physically challenged. At best, it'd be a mental challenge- I need specific values to feel comfortable.
I've been sitting with my face wedged into the screen. I need to know how far I should move my DESK back, if I were to mount my monitor on the wall.

Of course: at the moment, I cannot give a definite measurement of my desk's wall-to-chair size/length/width/whatever you would classify it as, so I'm asking for information that would be useful to me WHEN I take the measurement. The eye to monitor distance. As the desk measurement is not a known variable, I have to look for other variables to fill.

Do you understand?
>>
File: DSC_1258.jpg (1MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1258.jpg
1MB, 3920x2204px
>>57731678
>>
What's a good cleaner for LCD screens? Woot has a sale on this stuff, figured nows as good a time as any to pick some up if it's good.
>>
>>57731188
Yeah. I've got an OD green Corsair Vengeance box I love because it looks like an ammo can.
>>
>>57731763
so to browse this disk try
sudo mkdir /media/whatevermountpoint
sudo mount /dev/sdb4 /media/whatevermountpoint

>>57731772
I've always used windex or rubbing alcohol
>>
>>57731980
Mount: special device /dev/sdb4 doesnt exsist
>>
>>57732006
I didn't see in your screenshot that the gpt partition table is corrupt
according to some sources, run
 sudo gdisk /dev/sdb 

and type w and hit enter
this should rewrite the partition table with the correct info, but it could fuck everything up also
so take this advice with a pinch of salt that I'm some anonymous user on 4chan that could possibly destroy all of your data, not even purposefully
>>
>>57732006
>>57732092
also, you may want to google "recover gpt partition table" or similar and ask around askubuntu, other stackexchanges, or even mailing lists
>>
>>57732092
Just checking this wont format it will it? Im doing this to recover data off it
>>
>>57732168
it
SHOULDN'T
format it, no
>>
File: DSC_1260.jpg (2MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1260.jpg
2MB, 3920x2204px
>>57732222
Ok so now this pops up, it ahows up as mounted which is a good sign
>>
Should I buy a 5th gen i3 laptop with FullHD or a 6th gen i3 laptop with HD screen?

Which one will make me happier?
>>
Basically there are some Windows Updates that I really want to avoid because telemetry shit and whatnot. I go some list I think but if you do have one as well do link please so I avoid all the shit.
But the more important question is, is there some sort of program that would just manually deselect the updates or at least would make searching for the ones I have to disable easier? Because after a clean install there are like billions of them and I have to go by them all and keep comparing them to the ones I am not supposed to instal and that takes a shitload of time.
>>
File: respond 5.jpg (26KB, 441x441px) Image search: [Google]
respond 5.jpg
26KB, 441x441px
>>57731601
>>
>>57732328
try this
 sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o "remove_hiberfile, uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sdb4" "/media/lynette/C0B44BD7B44BCF1A"

linux mount doesn't like the way windows hibernates
>>
>>57731490
>gnome over MATE
>ever
why
>>
>>57732408
Says bad mount point
>>
>>57732475
I copied the mount point (the /media/) from your image
pretty much any empty directory should work though
>>
>>57732501
So i should make one with
sudo mkdir /lynette/mountpoint1/
?
>>
>>57732563
yes, /media/lynette/mointpoint1/
>>
>>57732596
Hmm its still telling me bad mountpoint. Do i need to unmount beforehand or something?
>>
>>57732627
if /dev/sda4 is already mounted, yes
if the target directory is not empty AND nothing is mounted there (check with mount), rm -r it and recreate it
>>
File: Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 14-06.png (91KB, 951x642px) Image search: [Google]
Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 14-06.png
91KB, 951x642px
>>57719844
is there a way to display the time like this in windows?

without additional software

maybe a registry hack? idk about these things
>>
>>57732662
Is was in limbo i think, i right clicked it and clicked mount and now i have access.

Thanks so much friend, youve saved me a lot of stuffing around and a lot of stress
>>
My monitor is a 1080p monitor, but since many games don't have very good antialiasing and i have a 980ti i put them at 2k and they look nice and smooth, problem is
every time i run a game at 2k it turns my monitor in 2k as well, i use windows 7 and i tried the disable display scaling on high dpi settings but it doesn't work, any ideas?
>>
The phone I want isn't rooted yet.

How long does it typically take for a phone to get rooted? A month? A year?
>>
What should I look for in a tv? Looking around online tells me that LG is the best, but all of their products seems to have a couple bad reviews, and they seem to be the most critical.
>>
>>57732815
4k hdr ips low latency
Look for those 4 things mainly.
>>
>>57732852
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-65UH7700-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01C9CZI6W

This seems to have everything you listed, I'm guessing it's a good one to shoot for?
>>
>>57732910
Loks good, dont feel likw you have to gwt lg for whatever reason, Sony samsung and Panasonic are all good too.

Remember sound playa an important part in your tv too, so dont settle for the on board audio under any circumstances
>>
I was using linux mint in a VM for a few months just for pirating stuff without slowing my internet down by using a VPN inside of it. Switched over to using it as my main OS recently. I used mullvad as a VPN service/client in the VM and it was working fine for months, but now that I've switched to using it as my main OS when I try and use it I get disconnected every minute or two. It reconnects immediately.

Any ideas?
>>
>>57732987
Sony is more expensive for the same specs it seems, and I can't seem to find anything for panasonic. I have a sony hi-fi stereo that i'm sure will be better than whatever built in speakers any tv comes with, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the help!
>>
Should I get Evga 1070 for $400, does Evga really over heat?
>>
>>57733069
Nw, keep this in mind though

MEMC (motion estimation-motion compensation): Both Sony and Samsung 240Hz sets use MEMC to basically double the 120Hz process described above. However, instead of getting one extra frame for each "true" frame, you actually get three extra frames. (See reviews of the Sony KDL-52XBR7, the Sony KDL-XBR9 series and the Samsung LNB750 series).
Scanning backlight (240 effect): LG, Toshiba, and Vizio use what's called "scanning backlight" technology. Such TVs use MEMC once to get to 120Hz, but instead of doubling the interpolation, a backlight flashes on and off very quickly to achieve what Toshiba calls a "240Hz effect." LG, for its part, fails to make that distinction and uses the 240Hz term without qualification to describe its scanning-backlight models
>>
I know vaccuming the computer itself isn't a good idea because of static, but what about vacuuming AROUND the computer? How careful should I be there?
>>
Why is there no smartphones general?
>>
>>57733294
because you didn't make one
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.