[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SQT/ - Stupid Question Thread: Halloween Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 39

/SQT/ - Stupid Question Thread

Alright, you know the drill:

Last thread: >>57278363

If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Protip: If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, its very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.

Halloween is approaching, wat do?
>>
File: tgyWe_zg2nE.jpg (287KB, 1053x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tgyWe_zg2nE.jpg
287KB, 1053x1024px
Anyone else having trouble cockmail on k9?
>>
Does Bruno Mars is gay?
>>
>>57305691
Should i upgrade from gtx 970 to a gtx 1080?

Currently im playing every game in 1600x900 to get 100fps and above.

i got a 1080p 144hz and would like to play games maxed out in 1080p still retaining over 100fps.

>60fps is enough
literally unplayable for ME.
>>
How can I tell if my ram is running at the right speed
>>
>>57305691

I had a thought after watching a kidnapping film last night, the riskiest part seems to be collecting the ransom.

>police will no doubt be observing
>serial notes
>invisible dye

Now how would the police deal with it if the kidnapper demanded 500BTC? Could the police possibly track that?
>>
File: 1469683953394.jpg (37KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469683953394.jpg
37KB, 490x480px
>>57305691
quick question, is this new batch windows update safe without any gwx shit?
Thanks you
>>
>>57305995
No get a 1070
>>
>>57306221
And the reasoning for it?
>>
>>57306272

1080 is overkill for 1080p
>>
>>57305691
If I disregard Metro UI and Apps, what are Win 8.1 main flaws or Win 7 advantages to make me pick latter over the former?

I use Linux most of the time, need Windows only for some software for Uni and to play few games ~twice a week. Got Win 7 and 8.1 pro editions from Microsoft Imagine, figured I can swap to legal copies, on the fence for which one to go for.
>>
>>57306272
>>57306277
and cheaper too
>>
>>57306277
>saying that to a guy that thinks 60fps is unplayable.
>>
>>57306060
well look at the speed its running at, then look at the speed its supposed to run at
>>
>>57305691
how do you guys memorize or know when to use variables, scripts and etc... in coding.
Im a hobbyist and im trying to learn Java and JavaScript mainly. Trying to create something that i need but i dont know how to tackle most problems that cause with me not knowing when and how to use those certain commands.
>>
i bought some new RAM and it says 'Duel-Channel Unknown' @1072mhz

why is this
>>
Do wifi extenders work or are they a meme? My combination of a Teclast X98 Plus II and brutalist concrete walls is making tablet use in my bedroom a misery.
>>
>>57306407
Why would it say something different?
>>
>>57306428
Sure they work, but as always you get what you pay for.
>>
Well, I'm a dumb fuck and I missed the MPV general. What's the new equivalent to
#vo=opengl-hq:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft

?
>>
>>57306481
A media player that doesn't require autism to use
>>
>>57306481
vo=opengl
profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossoft
>>
File: 44.jpg (13KB, 300x239px) Image search: [Google]
44.jpg
13KB, 300x239px
I have a 500 gig HDD with Linux I just cloned to an SDD for my main laptop

I was thinking about installing Windows 7 on the old HDD so I could play certain games. Would booting that HDD from the optical drive in the caddy thing hinder performance?
>>
>>57306536
*SSD obv
>>
>>57306536
It shouldn't unless the laptop uses a slower SATA interface for the optical bay.
>>
are the "sharpening" graphic options like the ones in Rust and War Thunder a form of cel-shading ?
>>
>>57306530
Thanks.
>>
>>57306536
it shouldn't, even if the laptop's odd bay was sata1 it'll still be more than fast enough to cover a standard 2.5" hdd
>>
Is there a point in having a big phone/tablet storage if I can expand it with a SDcard? Can I install android apps on SDcards?
>>
>>57306962
Yes and yes.

Access to phone storage is not as quick as access to microSD card storage.
>>
Is node actually used by companies other than small start ups?
>>
How do I test my locale settings?
For instance, I can see if LC_TIME is what I want by looking at the date command output.
What commands can I use to quickly verify the other variables and see what they do?
>>
why are some 4chan boards updating for me but some arent

this ones fine but a couple of others are stuck at 01:58am
>>
I'm looking at a C library to support some LED chains with arduino.

In the header, there's a function declared with no parameters -
void Refresh(void); 

But in the definition, it's
void HCWS2812::Refresh(byte RGBBuffer[][], byte length)
{
//Stuff using those parameters
}

Is this a thing you can do? Declare a function with no parameters and then define it to have parameters?

Even more perplexing, when the function is called in the example code for the library's use, Refresh is called with no given parameters. Just Object.Refresh();. The parameters it wants exist locally, but aren't passed in the call - why can the function use them? Aren't they out of scope?
>>
Why is this "preferred"
<?php
/**
* @file
* Default theme implementation to display a region.
*/
?>
<?php if ($content): ?>
<div class="<?php print $classes; ?>">
<?php print $content; ?>
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

over this?
<?php
/**
* @file
* Default theme implementation to display a region.
*/
if ($content) {
print ' <div class="'.$classes.'">
'.$content.'
</div>';
}
?>
>>
>>57307302
both of these is bad practice.
don't mix markup and code/logic
>>
Hey /g/, which is the best brand for $400-$500 laptops? And what pitfalls etc should I look for? I am researching but got no clue where to start, any advice you can give in laptop purchace?
>>
>>57307364
>drupal core
>bad practices
pick one
>>
>>57306164

pls respond
>>
>>57305691
Which is the fastest WM for everday use?
Should i go with LXDE? Or are there better alternatives?

>>57306164
If they haven't been "washed" they may track them.
>>
For the longest time, I haven't been able to torrent anything from a site, but other people are saying they have no trouble with it. If a tracker from a torrent is not connecting, are there any settings I need to change in order for it to connect? Any port forwarding or such? I don't think it is a problem with my ISP since I can torrent files from other sites just fine.

This is the tracker in question on qbittorrent. It says "not working" and it is listed in the error category under trackers.
http://open.nyaatorrents.info:6544/announce
>>
OMG, THANK YOU TO THE ANON >>57302091 WHO GAVE ME A REPLY, I NEVER GOT ONE ON THIS TOPIC BEFORE

i'm just sorry i never noticed until now and wasn't able to thank you until here, now, when the thread 404'd

And yeah your tablet rec looks hella dope imo for me, but around that price range I thought you could by or almost buy the best of the best. I have my eyes on an LG one that seems unbelievably good for the market today, and it's in a lower price bracket. Probably gonna pull the trigger on that. But thank you so much again for the reply, m8. Cheers.
>>
I'm building an ambilight system, and I need an optimized means to get an average colour for an area of the screen.

Currently I'm using the windows libraries to take a screenshot, convert to bitmap, and sample the pixels I want directly. This takes a lot of effort, however, holding 20% cpu even on my big machine, even sampling only a small percentage of pixels.
Is there a smarter way to do this?
Is there a way to see which pieces of code take the longest to execute inside Visual studio Express?
>>
>>57305850
k9 itself is cuck, but no alternative
>>
>>57305886
can't be gay if you're 4ft high. any cock in your ass would end up in your mouth
>>
>>57307028
sure, but mostly in-house, special snowflake stuff
>>
I'm toying around with a old notebook with a partially failing HDD.
Is there some software I can put on a bootable USB stick to find and disable failing sectors?
>>
>>57307645
>find and disable failing sectors
Your HDD does that by itself most of the times, and moves automatically your data to working sectors
>>
I've new co-worker that started earlier this week, but she's unable to get incoming mail on her pc or her iphone. Webmail works fine and she's able to send mail. Anyone know what could cause this? : /
>>
>>57307882
chec if server setings are configured correctly in the mail client.
Re-enter them manually if necessary
>>
>>57307914

I'm certain that these settings are correct as she's able to send mail from all clients.

I won't see her tomorrow, but I'll make sure I check it one extra time when I do.
>>
is it normal to consider suicide when installing gentoo?
>>
Is there a recommended brand for wireless keyboards and mice? Trying to set up a nice computer + projector combo.
>>
File: makimad.png (153KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
makimad.png
153KB, 500x278px
looking for a hosting service that can handle a news wordpress site running in a vps and getting hundreds of thousands of visits a month. Local storage is not that relevant considering it's 99% text and light images.
>>
>>57307996
microsoft and logitech
>>
>>57307388
pls respond
>>
>>57308018
if you want vidya I'd go for Asus STRIX or MSI ROG.

if you wan't something with "good enough" graphics, HP Elitebook/Probook with a dedicated GPU.

If you want something that will last decades but it's useless when it comes to graphics, Lenovo Thinkpad X or T series.
>>
>>57307996
As a keyboard, I recommend you the TypeMatrix. These are matricial, durable keyboards that aim at ergonomy and preventing neuromuscular disorder.

Whether you type in a Dvorak-like keyboard (and I think you should) or not, and if you look at your keyboard when typing in qwerty (or azerty, qwertz, etc.), I recommend you the default keyboard if you install Linux (or BSD, etc.) distros from time to time.
>>
File: Capture.png (807KB, 1188x1308px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
807KB, 1188x1308px
Anybody have this problem?

its like 50% of websites i visit have this weird slanted font, maybe i fucked up sometime. i dont know how to revert it back to default

maybe helveltica is corrupted? i checked it isnt
>>
>>57307388
You may have a look at >>>/g/tpg about ThinkPad, I'm finally satisfied by my T420.

It depends on your user case. However, there is no reason why you wouldn't ask them there.
>>
>>57308088
Go in your browser config? Such as about:preferences in Firefox, then go in "content".

At first glance I guess it's your browser font, the other half would be a font set up by these websites.
>>
File: 19.png (42KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
19.png
42KB, 1920x1080px
My laptop screen has this problem. There are two faint dark lines that start from the bottom of the screen. I've made an approximation of it to show what it looks like. Does anyone know what causes this and how can it be fixed?
>>
>>57308287

Most certainly a hardware issue, do you have any warranty left on your laptop?
>>
>>57308327
No. What kind of hardware issue might it be, any ideas?
>>
File: 1372673288457.png (2KB, 142x138px) Image search: [Google]
1372673288457.png
2KB, 142x138px
Can anyone do a quick comparison between the 6th gen i7-6500u and the 7th gen i7-7200u? Don't really know which one is better or if there's really a significant difference.

The i7-7500u seems to be the best, but it's more expensive and I'm not sure it's really worth that much so I'm looking into the other two
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (42KB, 512x511px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
42KB, 512x511px
Time ago, I used torrents to fetch my newspapers and journals.
The torrent sites are all down now.

How might I acquire journals once again???
Nothin on libgen.
>>
I wanna build a homelab for learning purposes because at work we are pretty much stuck technology wise.

I thought about using esxi to host the VMs. I want some kind of managmentserver that hosts a git repo, puppet or any other configmanagment software, and realtime and trendmonitoring for the other servers. Since I kinda wanna make use of the servers I want at least 1 backup server and 1 mediastreaming server, maybe one webserver so that I can fiddle around with tomcat a bit and a windows machine.

Any ideas what kind of hardware I need for that? Initially I thought about getting a hp microserver g8 because the formfactor is pretty neat but I would still have to throw a lot of money at it and it really limits me in terms of what hardware I can use (35W CPU, ECC unreg. RAM,...).

What do you guys think? Strong 4core CPU, 32?GB ram for futureproofing. What features are important for the cpu? I've read about passthrough stuff for virtualization does this matter for my lab?
>>
>>57308443

My guess is that the LCD-panel might need a replacement.
>>
>>57308104
I tried but they're only interested in thinkpads, and I can't get a used one where I live, so it's newon e for me. Is Acer any good?
>>
>>57308453
Google the benchmarks.
>>
>>57308461
Bump. FORBES WALLSTREETJOURNAL
>>
>>57308521
Thanks for the help.
>>
File: 1366552885369.png (357KB, 557x648px) Image search: [Google]
1366552885369.png
357KB, 557x648px
>>57308536
I found this chart
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

It lists the i5-7200u above the i7-6200u, is that enough then really? I saw some other sites say in some areas the i7 outperformed it like here though
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-vs-Intel-7200U

Don't i7 models include a turbo boost mode that the i5's don't? Will it really make a difference?
>>
>>57308528
It's not really good. Asus has a good reputation, and you should avoid hp (and hp ultrabooks at any cost).

The ThinkPad general features a link with other computers, such as Asus, Clevo, Sony, etc.: http://www.dankpads.com/

I couldn't say a lot more.
>>
>>57308702
But feel free to ask if you have any question anyway!
>>
Do any of you guys have android 5.1 and does USB OTG work for you unrooted?
>>
>>57305691

I ordered a HP Microserver gen8 and two 8TB red pros from WD. I plan to have them in a raid1 config but the spec sheet for the Microserver (from 2012) says it only handles up to 4TB drives. So I guess I'll manage it under Linux hoping it can manage the larger drives based on AHCI information.

My question is which software raid manager should I be using? I will use Linux (probably debian), so:

mdadm + ext4? zraid with zfsonlinux? btrfs (is it time!?)

Any particular mount flags you recommend or is all the documentation good enough.
>>
>>57306428
If it's not student accommodation then you could have a look at powerline adaptors which often have endpoints which have wifi. I got some netlink ones to get the wifi on the top floor of my dutch style overly tall heren house (base station is on the ground floor). They work great.
>>
>>57308792
btrfs raid1 is fine nowadays (ensure you use an up-to-date kernel + btrfs-progs)

it had more features than ext4. zfs is fine if you're using a fixed number of disks, the main disadvantage with zfs for home users is its inflexible vdevs (ex. if you have a two-disk raid1 vdev, you can't add a disk to make it a three-disk vdev)
>>
>>57308702
Thanks anon.
>>
>>57306553

Even if it were a slower SATA, it's faster than the 80-120MB/s you can stream from hdds.
>>
>>57307253
>Is this a thing you can do? Declare a function with no parameters and then define it to have parameters?

Yes. The C linker only knows the symbol name, not the number or types of arguments. The C++ linker, however, knows the number of arguments. And, IIRC, their types.

void HCWS2812::Refresh(byte RGBBuffer[][], byte length)
{
//Stuff using those parameters
}

This is C++, not C. And the HCW2812:: will mangle the name so you won't link to this version.
>>
how can i make hdmi audio play as soon as i plug my hdmi cable in on arch? like is there a way? can you put multiple defaults in .asoundrc (because then i'd just put everything including hdmi)?
>>
I want to know what site can be the best for editing gifs.
Can someone please tell me?
If it's a software that comes with a goof gid editor, then also help me with that because I'm on Debian.
Thanks beforhand!
>>
is there any way I can get a hosting provider to give me a server with at least 128 GiB of ram and a decent amount of cores? i only need it for a couple of hours to run something
>>
>>57307972
The smtp settings are probably correct then but the imap settings might be wrong.

A common issue is login vs email names. e.g. your login to the server might be mpoppins but the email address is [email protected]
>>
I found an old Bondwell Pro 8T in the bin and it works, but it has got no software. It's an old IBM PC Clone with two 3.5" drives, no hard drive and was shipped with MS DOS 3.21.

I have downloaded a bunch of images of it and made bootable disks, but none of them works, evey one says "DISK I/O ERROR" when I try to boot. Do I need some special image for this particular type of computer or what am I doing wrong?

I know this is not really current stuff, but if you know anything about installing MS DOS on old computers, please help me. There is really little about this computer out there.

http://www.happyponyland.net/bondwell.php
>>
>>57308287
I had this on an old Dell Inspiron after 2 or so years. It was caused from stress on the joint and the connection to the display panel. It required a replacement panel. I had on site next day warranty so it wasn't an issue.

Don't sit on this if you're still under warranty: get it fixed asap. I had it fixed and the next panel went bad after a year or so; a month after the warranty ended. :(
>>
A used 4gb gtx 980 ftw for $180 or should I get something else?
>>
>>57308883
Thanks. Which version of the kernel + btrfs-progs would you consider up to date? 4.7 (current kernel in debian stretch)? 4.4 (ubuntu 16.04 LTS)?

I have 4 bays so I think if I were getting more luns I would make a second raid1 storage pool and move the data to the new pool as the old hdds get to the end of their useful life.
>>
>>57305995
What proccsesor do you have?
>>
Is the RaspberryPI 3 sufficient for running a web server or doing anything that isn't just meme attempts?

Word was that RPI1 was insufficient and RPI2 was iffy
>>
>>57309438
well, i'm using 4.8.5 myself
4.7 is fine, too

the reason you don't want to go too far back is because btrfs is relatively new, and it's only fairly recently that it could be considered production-ready (except for its raid5/6 support, which is buggered)
>>
how do you get better at designing distributed systems/microservices?
it feels like implementing one on your own is a shitton of work and i dont even know where to start
>>
>>57309483
basically I want something I could run a web server for remote control or similar without having to leave a full-blown computer on or invest in an actual server

I'm usually more than 60 miles away from home for several days in a stretch, don't really need a fire hazard in my flat
>>
>>57309515
look at all of the netflix libraries (if you're using java)
>>
File: upk.png (77KB, 982x718px) Image search: [Google]
upk.png
77KB, 982x718px
I have had the
local area doesn't have valid ip configuration
issue and the online solutions haven't worked.
this all started when i moved and started a my computer at the new place, the clock was offline and now it just goes out of sync every time and then i lose connection.

i'm trying to solve it by first updating all windows updates but how do i know which ones are good and which ones will try to update me to windows 10? i dont' even want the little advertisement down below
>>
>>57309547
shit this is a goldmine, thanks anon
>>
I know you can do it with phones, but is there a way to basically tether two standard computers?
The reason behind this is that i have a laptop that maxes out my 250 Mbit/s connection over wifi, but my tower's wifi card can only handle 40 Mbit/s, and running an ethernet cable from the router to my tower is out of the question.
Can I have the tower's traffic be routed through the laptop, and then into the tower with an ethernet cable?
>>
>>57309483
It's still meme. You can run some server on it, but nothing more.
>>
is there any good Opus audio player for Android (please, no VLC), or portable Opus audio player device?
>>
i want to convert OGG files and trim up files to make ringtones. what's a simple tool? can foobar do it?
>>
>>57309343
I'm not under warranty so I'll just replace the panel. thanks for the information anon.
>>
>>57309701
for converting use "ffmpeg -i inputfile outputfile" and trimming can be done with audacity
>>
>>57309701
ffmpeg could do that with only two flags

>ffmpeg -i myfile.ogg -ss 00:11:10 -t 23 "myoutputfile.mp3"
or similar

also converts just about everything else (webms etc.), so definitely a good tool to have
>>
>>57309747
>>57309737
oh yeah i do have that, with the whole webm thing, thanks guys i was just being stupid.
so it'll just spit out ogg? i don't need anything else for it to be done?
>>
Which BSD distribution does /g/ suggest?
>>
File: 1442091119094.jpg (64KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1442091119094.jpg
64KB, 500x447px
Best software for mounting .iso's in Win7? I'm assuming Unetbootin can't do it.

I'm also unsure how to boot from the USB once I've mounted the .iso, as I've only done it in OSX (Botnet/macfag, I know, forgive my sins).

I'd appreciate your input, anon.
>>
>>57309831
I forgot to specify that I'm mounting a Win10 .iso, specifically.
>>
>>57309831
if you want to mount iso as a virtual drive, use wincdemu.
for making bootable usb from iso, use rufus.
>>
>>57305691
Is a 1070 overkill for a 1080p 60hz monitor?
>>
>>57309872
Thank you anon.
>>
Finally updated to the Windows Anniversary update. Had a weird issue/crashes with MPC, so I rolled back thinking something broke. Turns out it was the AMD driver causing the issue, but I found a fix for that.

Now I want to update again but Windows Update tells me I'm up to date so I can't download/re-install the update. How do I get windows to start updating again?
>>
which linux distribution is smaller and can play movies? I have trisquel and it takes 3.7 of 4gb that my HDD has. I have to play movies on usb stick.
>>
>>57309950
install gentoo

>>57309955
Mythbuntu, maybe?
Does that even exist anymore?
>>
s��m��h
>>
>>57305691
What is the best browser and extensions for privacy and security but accessibility? I currently use Pale Moon but I feel as if it's not as fast, as optimized, and definitely not as other ones I've tried before.

Icecat just doesn't seem to work well for me.
Not really looking for Midori.
>>
t
>>
File: nope.png (63KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
63KB, 1600x900px
>>57309970
>Mythbuntu
looks like it's malaware
>>
How safe it is to run game on laptop, long as not overheating its fine?
>>
whats an average motherboard temperature when gaming?
>>
>>57309923
Somewhat, yes. You'll be able to run everything at 60fps with all settings maxed for a couple of years. If you're not that anal about keeping everything maxed at 60fps then a 1060 6gb, 480 or even 470 would be good enough for you.

>>57309950
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history
Try downloading that thing.

>>57310010
It shoudnt overheat at all. If it does then make sure you're not blocking any air vents and dedust it every now and then.
>>
>>57310009
Strange.
Try looking somewhere else, iirc ubuntu had a page for downloads, and on the internet you can find info.

Oh yeah, almost forgot
>>57310000
>>57309999
>>
What's the difference between the function and the implementation of a piece of hardware?
>>
>Blackberry thread is not open.
Is $380 for the Blackberry Password a good price? What's its normal price point?
>>
Just thought I'd ask here quickly before I read some myself. Can make completely untraceable bitcoin transactions by first exchanging the bitcoin for something like monero and then back to bitcoin? That shouldn't be possible to trace, right?
>>
>>57310084
Function: What it's supposed to do
Implementation: what we actually do with it
Sometimes they are different (Take for example the RTL2832U chip or specific wifi cards with Kali)
>>
I bought a displaylink USB external monitor for my laptop

Whenever I install the drivers and reboot, ALL the monitors stop working, both my hdmi monitor and my built-in LCD. and the usb monitor doesnt go on, but it powers up

what the fuck?
i have a nvidia 960M and intel integrated dual-GPU
>>
File: 7RvxRCOh.jpg (140KB, 844x1024px) Image search: [Google]
7RvxRCOh.jpg
140KB, 844x1024px
If I buy a used Android phone, will a factory reset clear any possible malware/backdoors or is there some way they could have corrupted that as well?
>>
>>57310131
So for a graphics card:
Its function is to display graphical images on to the output device.
What would its implementation be though? The same as its function?

The book I'm reading says the implementation is something that "obeys the architecture", but I'm not entirely sure what that means.
>>
>>57309955
openelec, it's what it's designed for
>>
>>57310224
fuck off anime faggot loser
>>
>>57310242
Disregard my precedent post, i got confused.
One of the synonims of implementation is realization.
The graphics card is designed to be displaying stuff, and a developed, built and working graphics card is the implementation of it's function: displaying stuff.
When you build a program, you plan your results: this program will do THING.
When you create a program that actually does THING, you have implemented the program.
>>
I want to get into the demo scene if such a thing still exists. Basically I want to write well optimized code.

From my understanding is java basically out of the question since it can't rival native code. My question is, what should I use instead?
>>
>>57310402
be more specific of the final application
>>
if I want a data structure that adds elements in sorted position very efficiently and tracks a max do I want a heap? is there something better?
>>
>>57310402
x86 ASM
or do a BASIC homebrew on a Commodore 64/64c (128 if you're a pussy)
>>
Anyone here used or is still using a Nexus 5? I have a couple of questions, it's been years since I last fiddled with it after installing CM11 so I forgot how it all worked.

Do you need to install another firmware/bootloader/fastboot to update to 6.0?
Do factory images provided by google include said firmware/bootloader and radio?
What exactly do backup images from clockwork recovery include?
If I mount it from the recovery on a linux computer, will everything mount as if it were an external usb drive? I can see why it doesn't work from windoes but on linux filesystems shouldn't be an issue I suppose.
>>
>>57310421
Of course, sorry for being so vague.

My father showed me some things he made as part of the C64 demo scene. I got inspired and want to do something similar, basically games (interactive or not) which I can spend time on tweaking to get the most out of my hardware.

tl;dr I want to make well optimized games.
>>
What's the best way to set up macros or hotkeys on Linux Mint that will perform very simple tasks? Basically what I need is:
right click > (input) 2 > (input) enter
and another one: right click > (input) a > enter > wait > enter
>>
File: 084.png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
102KB, 300x256px
>plug phone into 2.4A power supply
>"Charging Slowly"

what the fuck do they consider quick?
>>
does origin save download progress? or will i have to start all over again
>>
File: Uten navn.jpg (63KB, 394x571px) Image search: [Google]
Uten navn.jpg
63KB, 394x571px
When did this happen?
>>
>>57310466
well
C++ and you will make high performance demanding parts in C
>>>/dpt/
>>
>>57310496
xbindkeys and xdotool?
>>
>>57310530
>using Origin

I pity you greatly.
>>
>>57310603
since Sundar Pichai (pajeet)
>>
>>57310603
2 weeks ago

>>57310530
heh
yes, of course it saves, jesus I downloaded BF4 like 5 days in rather short intervals
>>
>>57310509
I think wall chargers are from 5 to 10 amps.

>>57310402
Device-specific assembly languages. Demo scenes for modern computers are pretty much extinct, but you might still find some old farts writing C64 demos or something like that.

Keep in mind that you must have very deep knowlege of computers, programming and the hardware you're targetting.

>>57310603
Those things started popping a month ago.
>>
>>57309985
bumping this question

What is the best browser and extensions for privacy and security but accessibility? I currently use Pale Moon but I feel as if it's not as fast, as optimized, and definitely not as other ones I've tried before.

Icecat just doesn't seem to work well for me.
Not really looking for Midori.
>>
>>57310802
I use Waterfox with uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere.
>>
File: ccc.jpg (134KB, 842x789px) Image search: [Google]
ccc.jpg
134KB, 842x789px
1) Can I use 2 of pic related to run two GPUs in sli that each require 2x8pin PCIe? Or will the PSU itself require 4x8pin PCIe sockets? I have a RM750x

2) Why do some websites change middle click into left click? I like to use middle click to open links in a new tab and this is really annoying.

3) Is it more reliable to use 2 expensive drives in RAID 1 or 3+ cheap drives in RAID 5 or some sort of RAID Z?
>>
>>57310802
Firefox + uBlock Origin add-on + PrivaConf add-on
>>
>>57310817
>Privacy Badger
>HTTPS Everywhere

that's why is Firefox slow.
>>
>>57309515
Microservices are a design system for getting a bunch of two pizza teams[1] to orchestrate a complex system. If you're trying to smash out a web site on your own or whatever, then your 'team' requirements are completely different and you don't need microservices.

[1] teams small enough that they can be fed with two pizzas
>>
>>57309491
Thanks.
I get the feeling that if raid5 and 6 are still buggered then there's a big refactoring coming and the requisite instability. This makes me lean towards zfsonlinux. One nice thing is that canonical has put this into ubuntu by default. Which also means they will be sued out of existance by oracle. But it should make configuring zfs a breeze. :)
>>
>>57310843
>3) Is it more reliable to use 2 expensive drives in RAID 1 or 3+ cheap drives in RAID 5 or some sort of RAID Z?

Either would require two disks to fail simultaneously to bring down the array, so the expensive drives in RAID 1 would be safer than cheap disks in RAID 5. RAID Z gives you better protection against bad writes corrupting everything but I don't know how that's born out in practice.
>>
>>57310966
zfs is very nice, provided you aren't snagged by one of it's limitations

i personally would use it you could add/remove devices from a vdev

i'm personally using btrfs atop mdadm raid5, i'd prefer to use btrfs raid5, but that'll have to wait
>>
>>57310850

+ Cookie killer
>>
File: 1350758292107.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1350758292107.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
Best backup utility for linux for a work machine that is on 24/7? I'd like to back the files up daily to a dropbox or something else offsite for free (it's basically just a couple spreadsheets and word docs.)
>>
>>57311036
just Ctrl+Shift+Del and select all.
>>
>>57311040
if you want to just copy them to some folder where they get uploaded then just have some script that rsync them

anyway best linux backup is borgbackup hands down
https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
>>
>>57310843
1. Depends on the PSU. If you overextend the maximum load or wattage then your PSU will shut down.

2. Because form > function in webdev
>>
>>57311031
>Either would require two disks to fail simultaneously to bring down the array, so the expensive drives in RAID 1 would be safer than cheap disks in RAID 5.

The issue is therefore time to rebuild. If the next drive fails before the system has been rebuilt, then you will lose data. Rebuilding across three drives should be quicker than across two. Also, there may be a spurious correlation between drive failures. e.g. if you have two drives with consecutive serial numbers, I would be worried the most since when one goes, I would expect (though I have no evidence) that the next one will fail within some amount of time.

If data loss is something you cannot deal with, then store data in your 2 or three drive nas and also keep a copy in a cloudy place using an object store where data loss is like 15 9's.
>>
>>57311040
I hear good things about backblaze. But just put them in a dropbox or box or whatever directory.
>>
File: detected.jpg (210KB, 1397x296px) Image search: [Google]
detected.jpg
210KB, 1397x296px
I tried to install Antergos and gave this. Can I install it after all?
>>
>>57311159
Use a 32bit cd
>>
>>57311159
antergos does not make x32 iso
go with manjaro
you get better thing with it anyway
also optionally toss that PC in a trash poorfag
>>
>>57311159
You created install media for 64 bit antergos but you need 32 bit (i686). Sadly, their website only seems to give a link to the 64 bit version even though they have a list of 32 bit packages.
>>
How the fuck do I create a virtual USB drive?

I feel like this should be a lot easier, most mounting tools only create a virtual drive but none seem to offer creating a removable drive
>>
>>57311195
What are you trying to do?
>>
>>57311195
It's easy on mac and linux. Windows is really dropping the ball here. They even still use this 'drive' concept.

Anyway, this person answered a similar question:

>>57309872
>>
>>57311218
write-only memory drive.
>>
>>57310171
bumping this
>>
>>57311269
>write-only memory drive.
that makes no sense
but keep trying

>>57311287
so 3 times a year when drivers update?
>>
I recently had a browser hijacking issue where each time I tried to surf the web (other than google) I was redirected to a certain page.

Now, I ran Malware Bytes + Reset browser to default settings and everything appears to be fine.

However, I'm using Win10 and whenever I go to network settings I can see that the VPN radio button is set to enabled. I click it and disable it and close the window, but when I re-open the window I can see its enabled again.
It just seems a bit dodgy, can anyone recommend any advice, I'd like to disable it for good because I don't use a VPN
>>
>>57311036
Just use self-destructing cookies, that's what I use.
>>
Trying to learn Asymptotic notations. It's full of equations and stuff. I don't know half of what I'm seeing
>>
>>57311331
That's what I use. I don't know why I said cookie killer. :(
>>
What is the best route navigations software for Windows use with a USB GPS? I have the hardware lying around but Streets and Trips and MapPoint are no longer updated.
>>
File: fuck this screen.png (32KB, 734x475px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this screen.png
32KB, 734x475px
is there a way to repeat the same form submission with a script? i need to input this same fucking passcode every 15s or so to stay on this pooinloo jewshit arabian fuckhole hotel wifi that charges $5 a week for 80kbps garbage satellite internet. its getting pretty old.
>>
>>57311510
If you know javascript you could do something with greasemonkey. If not then you can use autohotkey and move through the form with tab.
>>
So I'm using a HP laptop with 840m and I was playing Overwatch using an Hdmi connected to a bigger display. There was a powercut and I switched the laptop off. Now whenever I try to play any game the fps stays at 1-5. I have tried everything like updating/reinstalling drivers, changing graphics settings, power options, etc. Everything else seems to be working okay. There is also the integrated intelHD graphics but I have the Nvidia card selected as prinary. Any ideas what could be causing this? Hardware fault?
>>
>>57311331
Removing cookies is not enough. I worked for webdev company and they circumvent this with localstorage, indexeddb, cached etags and ip timing...
>>
dank
>>
>>57311554
i thought about using greasemonkey, but the idea was to use a daemon to run the script every few seconds to keep myself authenticated. and i only know flash el oh el
>>57311594
>>57309985
he could always try using a vpn. vpns are really the only way to protect yourself.
>>
>>57311584
well, its obviously trying to use intel for gaming insted of nvidia

reinstall whole win if driver reinstall did not help
after that you could suspect hardware but I doubt it
its output that yu had connected, and I assume notebook stayed up during power outage, on the battery... onlymonitor got turned off
>>
Since last upgrading Archlinux, I can move Nautilus and Xombrero windows around by dragging anywhere inside them. It's like the entire window is the title bar. I can't select text on webpages in Xombrero because the window starts moving instead. I'm on Window Maker 0.95.7 with GNOME packages on 3.22.1.
>>
File: display2.png (125KB, 807x482px) Image search: [Google]
display2.png
125KB, 807x482px
>>57311584
Try to find a option that looks like this and force it to use your 840 all the time.
>>
I'm trying to overclock my cpu. I have water cooling and have not gone near my max voltage for my processor. Using amd overdrive and prime95, it throttles over 1.4v down to almost half speed but temps are no where near too high.

I'm taking a shit at work so I forget my specifics, but any general ideas? I have a 600w PSU
>>
>>57311584
if i were you i would open up your laptop and reseat your cpu and gpu if you can. but before that you should run ubuntu(or some other linshit) off of a flashdrive and see if it runs *game* better. if it does its an OS error and you're better off reinstalling windows.
>>
>>57311616
Installed Win on a diff disk, now getting the drivers.

>>57311639
I have already done that. I'm pretty sure I have checked out everything software related that I can think of. The fresh Win install will hopefully fix things.
>>
>>57305691
currently running a 980 (https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Overclocked-256-bit-DisplayPort-Graphics/dp/B00O4S9NY8)

for upgrading, is my best bet to just go for the 1080 ( founders or OC version or something) or getting another 980?
>>
>>57311748
also im running 4k for reference.
>>
Should I get the Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer or the New Matter MOD-t 3D Printer?
>>
>boot pc
>"press ctrl+s for setup menu"
>hold ctrl+s
>?????
>boots Windows normally

My keyboard seems to be turning on just fine, why does this happen?
>>
>>57311104
1) Well it is a 750W PSU and I would only draw up to 250 for each GPU
2) I don't see how forcing middle click to function as left click affects the appearance
>>
File: Captura.jpg (72KB, 859x484px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.jpg
72KB, 859x484px
What did the uploader of this video do to have such shit quality?
And what settings should I use to download a good copy of the video via JDownloader 2? The program is suggesting 720p_30fps_H264-192kbit_AAC.
>>
>>57311031
>>57311135
I would probably look into something like that also, but what will offer the best redundancy for my money?

Fewer expensive, or more cheap?
>>
is it possible to turn this beauty into a moderate gaming desktop?
>>
how do I stop libreoffice from scrolling so fucking fast when using a trackpad?
>>
Anyone know what would cause everything in Google Chrome to suddenly become larger? I went into settings and changed the zoom to 80% so web pages are back to the way I'd like them, but my tab bar, address bar, and all that stuff is still way too big. What's the solution here? Is there a theme or extension that will make everything smaller?
>>
>>57310496

idk how to do it with mouse but if you go into settings, keyboard you can easily make new hotkeys for commands and actions using key combos with shift, control etc in the cinnamon gui
>>
>>57311907
that is called interlacing, you can get rid of it by using a video player that deinterlaces it

use youtube-dl to download
>>
>>57311941
yes, but why?
decent microATX case cost ya $20
gpu fitting there would be problem
you would need pcie angled spacer / ribbon... to fit decent gpu there
>>
>>57311952
Change your default display settings...
>>
>>57311952
latest update did that
its on purpose
>>
>>57311616
>>57311639
>>57311681

Reinstalling Windows seems to have fixed the issue. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it on my original setup?
>>
>>57312063
did uninstalled also intel driver? not just nvidia?
also I mean uninstall from device manager, righ click, checkbox delete driver if it shows...
>>
>>57312011
It's literally only Chrome though. I don't want to make all my other programs smaller too.

>>57312058
Ah, so I'm not the only one. It looks like shit and is annoying the hell out of me.
>>
>>57311968
>a video player that deinterlaces it
Deinterlacing is deactivated in my VLC. Do I set it to auto? Other videos by the same uploader don't have that problem.
>>
>>57312095
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/5a2os0/chrome_all_of_a_sudden_appears_too_big/
>>
>>57312095
>only Chrome
All of the settings you mentioned, are controlled by the window manager in your os.
>>
>>57312084
I uninstalled both Intel n Nvidia drivers, rebooted and did a clean install, didn't check device manager. I guess I'll do that too.
>>
File: 1348455186019.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1348455186019.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
I have a memepad t520 and im using a logitech g600 with it, OS is w7 64, I preffer to rarely shut down my machine and instead put it to sleep. But whenever I wake it up the mouse does something a bit weird, it lights the side buttons a couple of times like if its restarting which I'd find normal if it also did it during boot which it doesn't. This looks to me like it's freaking a bit because it's also plugged on the yellow usb port thinkpads have which has power while on and sleep disabled through the bios. I've also had a couple of instances where I get BSODs if I happen to even touch the mouse while it's going to sleep and sometimes it wakes up if I move the mouse but I've set the mouse to not wake the computer from within windows.

Question is, I know there's a thing called power or energy states in windows for devices, s1 s2 s3 and so on, how can I make sure the mouse is recieveing absolutely no power when the computer is sleeping? Or alternatively, if anyone has a logitech g600 too can you tell me if it does a similar behaviour when sleeping-waking up? pic unrelated
>>
>>57312100
Also, I'll try DownloadHelper.
>>
Why can't we use SAS for networking? It shits all over 1gbit etherpleb. No bully pls
>>
whenever I wake my PC up my HDD (secondary drive) cant be detected unless I replug the power/sata cable. how can I fix that?
>>
>>57312249
plug in different mobo sata port
update bios
>>
>>57311907
link to the video
>>
>>57312118
Yeah, but I'm not able to change those settings for just Chrome, right? (I'm using Windows 10). That'll change the size of every program, and I don't want that.

>>57312117
Thanks
>>
>>57312280
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8tAuX7Co7s
>>
>>57311936
For your money, 2 normal priced disks. You don't need HGST disks. You can get by with WD reds. Don't get greens for a nas.
>>
My boot drive is an almost six year old 1TB WD Blue. Despite its age and usage (it has accumulated 40,000 hours of on-time, which is an average of 19 hours a day) it's still supposedly in good health. I also have a new (less than a year old) 2TB Seagate that I use for storage of media, games, etc.

I've been planning on getting a 240GB SSD for my boot drive and using my old 1TB drive for my games (minus my favorites which will go on the SSD), since if it does croak my games are the easiest thing to recover.

But I just noticed that it's a SATA II drive and I'm wondering if it would be a good choice to use for this purpose or if it would be worth it to buy a 480GB SSD (cheaper than buying a 240GB SSD and a SATA III 1TB HDD) for my games and do away with the 1TB drive completely. What would you guys do (assuming you gaymed)?
>>
>>57311329
Please respond
>>
How do I skip the M$ account verification crap after I successfully login to my account? Literally all I want is to enter my account so I can unlock my main account which has been locked because I had the audacity to think I could use my email client and imap to fetch my email without having to be forced into adding a phone number to a dummy account I use for the sole purpose of recovery, but apparently M$ doesn't think not knowing every single fucking detail about me is legal or some shit.
>>
Does anyone know why it's so complicated to install tails on a USB? Why can't they make an iso that you can just write to the USB like all other distros?
>>
I have 3 drives on my laptop set to sleep after 10 minutes because most of the time im just using my browser, 2 hdd and 1 msata ssd, both hard drives are normally off like they should but sometimes they spin up randomly. They're pretty noisy and I'd like to know what is causing them to spin up. The OS and programs are all on the ssd, the hard drives just hold music and animu.

What program can I use to know what programming or function is using them that just monitors "calls"? Can it be Windows indexing?
>>
File: 1465792852222.jpg (8KB, 269x211px) Image search: [Google]
1465792852222.jpg
8KB, 269x211px
I have a folder of about 100 pngs that I scanned in off of my printer. For some reason, they're all ~50Mb a piece. I have no clue how to wrestle them down to an appropriate size. They're only 4k x 7k or so.
>>
>>57308528
I've got an acer laptop currently. I'd keep away from them if you can.
>>
>>57312472
That defeats the purpose of tails
>>
>>57312481
Try IrFanView.
>>
>>57312495
That's what I'm using. Compression set all the way up.
>>
anyone else got weird skype spam today? apparently some database got hacked and a lot of accounts sent spam links now.
>>
>>57312481
>pngs
Well there's your problem. I use FastStone Photo Resizer to lower picture sizes.
>>
>>57312494
How?
>>
>>57312527
>using skype
>>
>>57312244
It has the same problem. 720p MP4. That upload was definitely fucked.
>>
File: a.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
a.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>57311907
>>57312318
it's interlaced content

upside: it's actually 60 fields/s content, not 30fps as you're seeing on youtube
downside: it was stored on youtube as progressive video, so there's going to be some interlacing-related artifacts left over even after deinterlacing

webm related, part of the video after deinterlacing
>>
Any idea how to encrypt a folder or just make it so if someone tries to open you need a password to open it?

Using arch cinnamon if it matters. Just for porno vid folder non cp fbi want list shit just want simple password needed
>>
>>57312685
pgp
>>
Hi, due to atrocious support of collaboration software on linux, I need to switch to windows and I have a really stupid question:

How to boot it and start working immediately in under 1 minute? Every single time I boot it it gets to "working on updates" for 10-15 minutes, and then restarts successively 2-3 times, requiring me to enter boot password every single time. So not only can't I just boot and start working, I can't even leave it to update on itself. How do you cope with this?
>>
File: WF1iy[1].png (5KB, 953x113px) Image search: [Google]
WF1iy[1].png
5KB, 953x113px
I'm trying to use php to connect to a database on mySQL

I'm pretty shit with this stuff, but any time I try I keep getting this "driver not found" PDO exception.
I'm using XAMPP portable edition, and I ran a .php info file which showed that there were no drivers under PDO support like there should be (pic related is how it should be). What am i supposed to do to fix this?
>>
>>57312804
use 'destroy w10 spying' and disable updates
>>
What's a good free sound recording app for Android. The one on the chart needs to be purchased
>>
File: 1455337734660.gif (496KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
1455337734660.gif
496KB, 500x455px
>>57312855
>purchased
>>
File: a.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
a.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>57312658
>>57312599
lots of "ghosting-like" artifacts owing to the fact it wasn't treated as interlaced content by youtube, but at least you can get rid of the combing and get most of the benefit of a higher framerate by deinterlacing

also, the motion quality being ass in general is also due to treating interlaced content as progressive, the combing is very high-frequency, and difficult to encode
>>
>>57312872
Bought?
>>
Chrome updated and now my tabs and search bar are fucking huge, taking up a lot of screen real estate. How can I change it back?
>>
File: 2016-05-15 09.25.40.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-15 09.25.40.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
This is my setup right now. It's mostly storage and plex. This one has a xeon 1240v2 but the standard one has a celeron g1610t which was more than enough for a storage only scenario.

I can get these fucking microservers for £120 minus after cash back which is cheaper than shitty 4 bay enclosures or NAS devices.

If say I end up having four of tuese little shitboxes how would I best sort out the networking side? They have dual 1gbit Ethernet and dedicated iLO port so would a 16 port switch with my broadband router hooked up to it be enough?

Also what would be the easiest way to work with four boxes during setting up? I have ubuntu server running on mine right now and I do work to it through webmin. Any alternatives for dealing with multiple boxes?
>>
>>57313071
downgrade
>>
File: 1376149859094.jpg (447KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1376149859094.jpg
447KB, 2560x1440px
I have run into some sort of weird issue today. Would like to know what caused it and how to prevent it from happening in the future.

>Want to install Battlefield 1
>Shitty net so decided to go with installing trough the discs
>Don't have a DVD-player in my PC so I grab one I have laying around and hook it up
>Start PC normally, everything seems fine
>Insert disc
>the Windows window pops up asking me what I want to do with the disc
>Text suddenly seems blurry / fuzzy
>''Whatever it'll go away I guess''
>Hit ''autorun.exe''
>The Origin window comes up
>All the text in there is blurry too
>Install fails
>''OK.''
>Want to reinstall fresh so go to ''Control Panel'' to uninstall Origin
>All text is fuzzy / blurry but ONLY on the main screen
>After uninstalling I shut down PC
>Tick the power off
>Tick the power on
>Start PC again
>Insert disc
>Windows thing pops up again
>Text is fine and sharp
>Origin window comes
>Text is fine and sharp

Can someone explain me what happened and why it did?

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: ss (2016-10-21 at 03.35.19).jpg (13KB, 278x247px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-10-21 at 03.35.19).jpg
13KB, 278x247px
Google captcha, facebook and youtube stopped working in Google Chrome but not in Internet explorer. What do?
>>
>>57313102
the rootkit you installed didn't support windows DPI scaling
>>
>>57313119
I see..
I wonder though why after restarting there suddenly was no problem with it anymore.
I also wonder why everything on only the main screen turned fuzzy, not just the installer window.
Also, I don't use any sort of special DPI setting, just standard.

Sorry for all my questions, legitemately just interested why exactly this happened and what I should check up on now to see if anything got fucked up in the process of it.
>>
>>57305691
Is there any sort of website on github that'll capture data about people who visit the site and log it to a txt file, like useragent, ip, os etc.?
>>
>>57312396
It sounds like you want people on 4chan to validate your desire for an SSD to get comfy startup speeds for your games. If you can afford the SSD, then get it. You probably want SanDisk though.
>>
>>57312480
They can spin up to log information to disk or to flush journaled filesystem information to disk.
>>
>>57312910
Pirated
>>
>>57312658
>>57312906
Deinterlacing it is then. Thanks anons.
>>
hey I've been trying to google this shit but

FP16 floats, what are they accurate enough for when it comes to 3D graphics?
>>
>>57313090
You want four microservers? For the storage capacity or some kind of home lab thing you have in mind? If you want the storage capacity then just get an ATX case and fill it to the brim with disks. Or pick up nas device with more than 4 bays.

You won't be flinging data around your network at 1gbps since the disks only go up to ~120mbps streaming. Check it by logging in and using:

dd -if=/dev/zero -of=/whatever -bs=1MB -count=$((1024 * 1024))

So, you're way over speccing your network, imo.

>Also what would be the easiest way to work with four boxes during setting up?

Once you have ssh keys distributed, I would say pdsh is the easiest way. When you get things sorted out and wanto automate it then take a look at ansible.
>>
>>57313456
Nothing. 16bit floats on nvidia cards are for neural network computation.
>>
>>57313598
there's this fuck on /v/ who keeps claiming that they can be used for pretty much anything but matrix projection and that it will allow the new nintendo portable to be more powerful than the xbox, so is he full of shit or on to something?
>>
>>57305691
What do you guys use your storage space for? I don't compulsively archive anime or movies (I watch and delete). Images and music don't take up much space. I struggle to use more than a couple hundred GB, but I have 4 TB of space available.
Is there something productive I can do with this excess space?
>>
How am I supposed to calculate a % b if either a or b are negative? There are no negative remainders as far as my shitty ass math knowledge says
>>
>>57312824
Alright so I got rid of that error but now I'm getting a Access denied for user 'user@localhost'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I used phpmyadmin to make a database, this is my code
<?php
try
{
$conn = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname=mydatabase', 'admin', 'password');
}
catch (PDOException $exception)
{
$exception->getMessage();
}

Please somebody help I'm losing it
>>
>>57305691
Does anyone know the reason why threads about Hiro's fake 4chan costs are getting deleted? Is that better off in /qa/?
>>
>>57313648
Well, a colleague I worked with a few years back said he worked on games in the 90s and one optimization he was fond of talking about was treating the middle of the screen in an fps as 0,0 and using 16bit floats as the points around the screen. Floats are more accurate around 0 (i.e. the part of the screen where the player is pointing their gun) and less accurate towards higher numbers (i.e. edges of the screen).

So maybe your friend on /v/ is talking about stuff like this? OR maybe the limited resolution of portable systems means the half float size isn't really a bad drawback when calculating stuff.
>>
File: test.png (1MB, 2678x4000px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
1MB, 2678x4000px
>>57313901
wait will this thread get 404'd or will I just get banned?
>>
>>57313727
> Allman style
You can't loose what you never had
>>
>>57313935
I would be surprised if a thread about this in /b/ gets deleted.
>>
>>57313557
I struggle to find any decent 4 bay solutions for less than ~150 so I figured why not get full fledged machines for 120?

I don't necessarily want four, just said that because it seems cheaper than other 4 bay solutions. Plus usb3 solutions are shitty and NAS solutions are expensive.

Right now I have 4x4tb drives in raid10 and a backup solution and when I have the money I will most likely just buy another microserver with 4x4tb and use an LVM pool and mirror to the other server. That way I'll have 16tb usable which should do it.
>>
How much can I do with 1 VPS (package #1) here?
https://hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd-vps

Better to buy two #1s or one of the others?

Is this the best/cheapest VPS btw?
>>
File: 1421081886318.png (39KB, 290x336px) Image search: [Google]
1421081886318.png
39KB, 290x336px
>>57313956
anon please.
>>
I'm an eurofag and I'd like to buy one of these 144Hz cheap Korean monitors, anybody knows an internet store that is willing to send them to Poland? Any seller on eBay/Amazon that I've seen doesn't ship there.
>>
Hey /g/, I like in sci-fi movies where the person comes home and he's greeted by some voice assistant, read facts, play music, etc. Is there anything on the market like that? So far the only thing I come across is amazon's echo, but that's not automated. You'd have to issue several voice commands
>>
Will getting quality rollups on fresh Win7 install make it harder to get rid of telemetry/win10 upgrade shit as opposed to installing updates as they come?
>>
>>57313983

fwiw, 8tb drives exist.
>>
>>57311329
>>57312410
Try digging into regedit.
Even component services might work - that's how I completely disabled windows update out of fear of it automatically installing win10. (stopped it, set the recovery options to do nothing, and ensured it wouldn't be able to turn on)
>>
OpenVZ or KVM?

The notion of a shared kernel seems... scary.
>>
>>57314049
The convenience rollup includes unremovable telemetry updates. The monthly rollups don't include any announced telemetry, but from october on there's nothing but rollups.
>>
>>57314052
It's still cheaper to buy 2x4tb than 1x8tb and the cheapest 8tb is the Seagate archive range which I'd rather stay away from.
>>
I know websites can track you when you leave one page to another
Ex. On website 1 then click a link to website 2
But can it track you going through multiple different websites?
Ex. On website 1 click a link to website 2 click a link to website 3
Is website 1 able to track you going to website 3?
>>
>>57314333
What's a rollup
>>
>>57314357
if they work together, sure.
>>
>>57314443
A collection of multiple updates. Microsoft released a big one with like 5 years worth of updates called the convenience update several months ago. Then they started releasing cumulative monthly mini rollups that would install everything released since then. Now they don't offer individual KB updates at all, just the rollups from here on out.
>>
>>57314357
Yes, they're called cookies
>>
>>57314464
They work together by putting a place on the website for an ad exchange to insert an ad. So doubleclick or google or whichever ad network can track you.
>>
>>57314530
Should I disable all cookies except for the ones I visit then?
>>
What is it thumbnails on Android? I've had two phones, and they've both had a problem loading thumbnails in every file explorer and image viewer I've used with them.
>>
I've got this annoying problem with the browser stalling at 100% when downloading any file. Even though it downloads the browser hangs and needs to be restarted every time. It's doing it will all Chrome based browsers and IE. I've disabled AV which makes no difference.
>>
File: setup.png (461KB, 3280x994px) Image search: [Google]
setup.png
461KB, 3280x994px
>>57314357
>>57314530
>>57314643
Yeah, I disable all cookies and only allow third party cookies from what I've visited. Pic related is what I use for maximum security but accessibility, doesn't really slow down my browser.
>>
>>57314514
Thanks. That was an extensive answer to what must seem like a basic question.
>>
What's a program (W10) I can use to remove duplicate images
>>
>>57314357
They don't need to track you that way. Ad agencies all work together so they can track you from one page to the next, or you have some big giant who puts their ad everywhere (google).

Also facebook tracks wherever you go. All those facebook like buttons on various sites are also trackers. They are probably the most dangerous aside from google since they link your real identity with your web traffic. Make sure to use Fanboy's Social Blocking List
>>
>>57314720
different anon here, i also want to know this
better yet, a file to use to remove duplicate files as a whole (not just detecting filenames ofc)
>>
>>57314720
If you have bash tools installed, you can do something like:

md5sum * | sort | uniq -c | grep -v '^1 '

This takes the md5sum of all the files and then sorts the results. Uniq then smangs duplicate results together and the '-c' option gives you a count on how many of each line were found. Finally 'grep -v' filters out the counts that only had a single file. This should leave all the files with duplicates. You may have to run it twice though. Once to get the offending md5sums and then another time to find the corresponding files to each md5sum.

As always with deleting files, don't automate the actual deletion unless you're very confident. And don't copy paste code from the internet.
>>
>>57314707
>>57314754
thanks guys, got interested in this stuff after seeing a adblock thread on /v/
>>
Well, the thing is that as my wifi adapter was slow ONLY with my network, I thought it would be a good idea to uninstall the drivers in safe mode, as they could've been corrupted. Now I can't pick up ANY network and it takes a lot to boot up and shut down.

What do I do?
>>
>>57314720
>>57314757
There's a bunch of freeware, but I prefer anti-twin. It has a nice enough interface, no ads, and options for matching file contents and near-matching images.
>>
>>57312829
Thanks, I'll see how I can make updates just not work anymore.
>>
>>57313341

Validation is half of what I want. The other half is for people to tell me I'm a fucking idiot and my old HDD is perfectly fine for the job.
>>
Anyone know how to use exec twice in a find statement? For example:

find / -name "java" -type f -exec {} -version \;

How would I get the above statement to include echo {} so I can see what directory has been found too?
>>
>>57314946
find / -name "java" -type f -exec {} -version \; -print
>>
>>57314863
Thanks
>>
>>57314936
Sure, your existing HDD is fine. Until it's not fine. Then people tell you you're stupid. People always want to tell you you're stupid and will find any excuse.

You've done your research. You know what you want and have weighed up the pros/cons. I believe in you, anon.
>>
Is this legit? https://www.amazon.com/128GB-Speed-Memory-Adapter-BS-128G-YSD02/dp/B01M8LQLBH/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477840215&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=sd+card&psc=1
>>
>>57314863
ty works for me
>>
>>57314946
FWIW, it's probably in /usr/lib/ or /opt/
>>
>>57314997
Thanks
>>57315161
The main one is in /usr but I'm just checking if I've got any older versions installed, thanks
>>
sometimes whenever i click on a picture here on 4chan to get the full res version, nothing happens for like 5-10 seconds then it finally starts loading the image very slowly. I have 25MB down and this never happens when going from page to page or viewing images/videos on other sites.

is 4chan hosting it images on some super slow host or something?
>>
i dont know much about internet speeds, but i do know mine sucks cause we live in the middle of nowhere

however, im using a wireless adapter and always have, how shit are they compared to actually being hard wired to the router?
>>
>>57315582
>some super slow host
very likely
>>
File: evga gtx 570.jpg (17KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
evga gtx 570.jpg
17KB, 300x225px
I've started to have hard crashes in videogames recently. The screen will often turn blue. Sometimes the game still appears to work on the background, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the audio starts looping, sometimes it doesn't.

I suspect it's because of my fairly old graphics card (gtx 570). I want to rollback to older drivers because 1 year ago, it was still working fine. Anyone knows the last good drivers for the gtx 500 series? Anyone has another idea what might be the problem?
>>
Got my hands on a new Android tablet, and one thing it did was say google can observe what's on my screen and "help" me find answers to it.

I do not want this. I didn't consider taking a screenshot if it at the time, and I don't see a glaring "send screenshot to google" thing in settngs. What was this and when does it happen/ can I disable it?
>>
>>57316079
man i'm really not ok with this btw. I just searched on ddg (cause i'm paranoid) "google android tap help disable" cause I think holding tap brought up the help thing, and first link is how to disable "Google Now". No mention of Google seeing what's on your screen, then trying to help from that.

It happened from a really innocent gesture too, like holding a finger on the screen for a second. Not impressed. Worst case scenario I format the tablet just to do it again and see what that was, how it's activated, and whether or not I can disable it. My last tablet never had this shite...
>>
>>57316196
alright. you know, it's a sad day when i have to do this but i'm just gonna format the tablet. hope i doesn't take too long

i know no time has passed at all since my question but i'm really not ok being in the dark on what triggers my screen being sent to fucking google. rather format and do it again than go on paranoid
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-30-19-12-56.png (61KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-30-19-12-56.png
61KB, 1920x1200px
>>57316273
never mind had a gander at "Google Services" in settings n it seems to be right there at the bottom under "Search & Now". Pic related. Must've been how I activated this botnet cancer

I hope someone found my four-post freakout amusing at least
>>
>>57315649
With a good signal there shouldn't be much difference
>>
Is there any way to force Google music manager to check iTunes for new songs. It hasn't checked in a while and I have tons of new stuff that I want uploaded to the cloud
>>
>>57316580
>>57316580
>>57316580
>>
Why does windows need drivers at fresh install and linux doesn't?
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.