[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sqt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 365
Thread images: 48

Last thread: >>57278363

If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Protip: If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, its very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.
>>
>>57316580
op fucked up the op edition
>>57305691
>>
How much can I do with 1 VPS (package #1) here?
https://hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd-vps

Better to buy two #1s or one of the others?

Is this the best/cheapest VPS btw?

OpenVZ or KVM?

The notion of a shared kernel seems... scary.
>>
File: a.png (64KB, 637x561px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
64KB, 637x561px
I'm trying to illegitimately activate my legitimate copy of windows via keys I'm finding online

the keys "work" in that they're valid, but every attempt to use them comes up with pic related. Microsoft claims the error means "The Software Licensing Service reports that license evaluation failed."

note: this is NOT the same error as using an already-taken key.

What the fuck do I do now? Can I fix this? I don't want to use warez to activate the copy of 7 I bought if I can help it.
Did microsoft disable activation of windows 7?
>>
File: 1477761243135.jpg (2MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
1477761243135.jpg
2MB, 4640x3480px
Any things to do before I follow the nub instructions for this android box?
>>
Reposting from last thread:

Hey /g/, I like in sci-fi movies where the person comes home and he's greeted by some voice assistant, read facts, play music, etc.
Is there anything on the market like that? So far the only thing I come across is amazon's echo, but that's not automated.
Rather than a motion sensor or a camera, you'd have to issue several voice commands.
>>
Is there any real use for having ¬¬intro in logic? Does it serve any purpose other than to elongate the process?
>>
I bought my current build from a friend a little over year ago. Yes, I know I'm a faggot for not building it myself. These past couple days, the fans have been spinning noticeably faster. Just an hour ago, I started to smell a faint burning smell and then my computer shut down. Is it safe to say that the power supply failed? I did a search and many of the results say to check for burn marks on the other components, but I don't see any. The power supply is a Corsair CX750.
>>
File: 1450342325456.jpg (31KB, 462x462px) Image search: [Google]
1450342325456.jpg
31KB, 462x462px
What's the best way to activate Windows 10?

KMSpico? MS Toolkit?

Thanks /sqt/
>>
>>57316794
>Does the power come on?
No: your probably PSU is dead
>Does the power come on, but it doesn't do anything?
Yes: your motherboard is probably dead
>Does the power come on, but you get a beep code?
Yes: find a pdf of the motherboard's manual, figured out what's dead from the beeps
>Does it give no beeps, but Operating system not found
Yes: Your hard drive is probably dead
>>
getting fps drops on some games only
thought they were bad ports like the crew and other ubishit games since they have it the most but today i tried skyrim remaster
it dropped from 90-100 fps to 10-30 every 3-4 seconds
I got no idea why but I could somehow hear something not do sound during the time and then when the fps went back to normal it would do the sound again
Its not hdd problem since i installed it on ssd too.
speccy related
>>
>>57316920
The way I did it was simply upgrading from my pirated Windows 7 Pro, which worked fine.

So I guess you could just pirate Win7 or something and upgrade.
>>
>>57316963
Your gpu temp is a little high compared to your cpu, were you running something in the background?
>>
how often and how to clean pc?
I put all the cables behind it and put the case kinda horizontally so I dont see them
guessing dust will build up. Is it a problem if cables get dusty or just inside pc?
is cleaning the dust filter enough? I got a fractal design define r5
>>
>>57316953
Now that is smart. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>57316963
not really but it was a hot day let me check again right now
>>
I'm going to school for CS, but shit's gone down and gotta get financially independent ASAP. I heard with a CCNA or some other cert you can get an okay-paying job fairly easily, is that true? What kind of jobs should I be looking for/any other certs I should test for?
>>
>>57316979
Unfortunately I already installed a clean w10
>>
>>57316980
>>57317027
>>
I've a ThinkPad t420i with x2 ssd slipped in

ssd1 win10
ssd2 Ubuntu

so what I want to know if it's possible to somehow configure/set my laptop to always boot to the menu where I can specify which ssd to into when I boot my laptop

If it's possible.. How?
>>
My monitor won't turn on, I tried messing around with the power cable before but I'm getting no display, the little lights for the menu won't even turn on. Is it dead?
>>
Okay, I've got one. I'm currently using ubuntu 14.05 and it seems like that it doesn't want to focus on the windows sometimes. If I were to pull up something that creates a dialogue box, it acts like it's not there and clicks behind it. I tried looking around for fixes and I'm still getting nowhere
>>
>>57317247
Power supply might be dead
>>
>>57317280
Can I check that out, and can I get that fixed relatively easily?
>>
Will this new dirty cow vulnerability root my Verizon Note 5?
>>
>>57317018
Well, everything turns on, but I can hear the a clicking coming from the power supply. So, it hasn't failed yet, but I'm going to go ahead and replace it.

Is 750W overkill? Probably, right?
>>
>>57317307
Maybe, depends on how available replacements are.
>>
Why does windows need drivers at fresh install and linux doesn't?
>>
>>57317432
The kernel includes a lot of drivers.
>>
File: Kill me pls.png (1MB, 1553x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Kill me pls.png
1MB, 1553x1600px
1.Guys How can I learn all the commands for terminal? I was doing overthewire dot org bandit challenge and realized I know fuck all about terminal commands and file/folder manipulation and navigation.
2. Can I make my kubuntu a pentesting enviroment if I download all the programs Kali comes with?
>>
For those of you that studied or are studying computer engineering/programming in university, how hard would it be for someone without much prior knowledge of computers? I'm not amazing at math but I am interested in pursuing something computer related.
>>
>>57317432
That would depend on the Linux distro
>>
Is it bad to turn off my PC from the psu switch? Because idk what happens that windows takes literally HOURS to turn off
>>
>>57317613
1. Read the man pages and just do it
2. Sure why not, just install the tools and shit you need. Distro hopping for minor crap is retarded.
>>
Is there a way to get internet from the WiFi on my android phone to my laptop using kubuntu? Seems I wrote down the network password wrong, and won't be able to see it until tomorrow.
>>
How many strings are there of lowercase letters of length
four or less, not counting the empty string?

Book says 26^0 + 26^1 + 26^2 + 26^3 + 26^4
which makes sense, but the question says not counting the empty string, so shouldn't 26^0 not be counted?
>>
Halloween is ALMOST HERE, wat do?
>>
i'm trying to update my home page and i want one of the links to be data:text/html, <html contenteditable> and i would like it to open in a new tab
right now every time i click it it opens in a new tab like it should, but then instantly closes
<br><a href="data:text/html, <html contenteditable>" target="_blank">notepad</a>

why isn't this working?
>>
a random image viewer i installed for android is able to set my wallpaper without issue (or editing), but when trying to set a lock screen it doesn't show. Which would be fine if the other galleries didn't give me a cancer forced crop.

How can I set my lock screen wallpaper without cropping? I was somehow able to do it on my previous tablet, but this one the crop seems different. You can't adjust the aspect ratio to match the image res, so if they don't already match it's always cropped.
>>
How do I change my default browser on palemoon? I want to use searx instead of duckduckgo.
>>
>>57318052
can't help you m8 but by "browser" you appear to mean "search engine"
>>
Why would I need a VPN when I can just use TOR?
>>
>>57317613
Thanks for mentioning that site. Just started it. Pretty cool. How far have you gotten that you don't feel you know the commands needed?
>>
>>57318052
>>57318064
Yeah, fuck, sorry
>>
>>57318090
Are you actually retarded? This is the most stupid nothing question I've ever seen
>>
opinions on recent razer blade gtx 1060 with qhd screen?
>>
>>57318120

Hey, >>57317613 here. I am up to bandit 6. I got to 5 and realized IDK what the fuck I am doing and what commands I need. I looked
up walkthroughs and they are doing some complex commands that I don't understand.
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-30+at+10.49.23).jpg (235KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-30+at+10.49.23).jpg
235KB, 1600x900px
>>57318090
>le I will use tor every time I go browsing
kek
>>57318052
To change your default engine in palemoon right click the browser header, click customize, drag in a temporary search engine bar, go to the site you want to change to your search engine to, and press the arrow next to the logo (see pic) and click on 'Add "searx.me" '. This will add it to your list of search engines.

All you have to do then is just switch to that and (optionally, if you don't like the search bar like I don't) right click the browser header, click customize, and remove the search engine bar.

If you need any more help with pale moon just say so i'll be here.
Had to do this when I was changing from duckduckgo to duckduckgo HTML (since I have JS disabled, but might change to searx.me soon)
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (25KB, 547x389px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
25KB, 547x389px
Just built this pc less than a week ago, and since the past 3 days it's been freezing at random with no recourse other than a hard reboot. Here are my specs, I can give additional info but I have absolutely no Idea what else to give.
>>
>>57318250
I am no expert but my little brother was having similar problem. Check to see if your hard drive is properly connected.
>>
>>57316677
DAZ loader.

Activation still works fine for legit keys. Microsoft can google just as well as you can and deactivate anything they see posted online.
>>
>>57318195
Nice design, decent specs, price is kinda high though.
>>
>>57318090
Are you sure you are mentally able to understand /g/?
>>
File: customize.png (22KB, 822x568px) Image search: [Google]
customize.png
22KB, 822x568px
>>57318240
>drag in a temporary search engine bar,
That isn't an option listed for me?
>>
>>57318372
>>57318189
Care to explain without memeing?

Or are you two implying that its stupid to use TOR for everyday browsing?

Because from my understanding they both do the same thing, as in rerouting my signal a few times before it reaches its intended endpoint.

VPN is encrypted though and TOR is not encrypted when it leaves the exit node AFAIK is the biggest difference.
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-30+at+11.12.10).png (53KB, 752x585px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-30+at+11.12.10).png
53KB, 752x585px
>>57318391
Then that probably means you already have it there. Or you can try "Add New Toolbar".
>>
>>57316580
im trying to instal PPA's with this command on EOS loki "sudo apt-get install software-properties-common" but it comes up unable to locate package. Is there something I need to do before this.
>>
How do multiple operating system games work? Like if someone were to code a game with Windows, would it only be compatible with Windows? Does it depend on the engine that the game is coded in?
>>
>>57318417
Not only do you not know the intent of nodes (as in, whether or not they intend on being malicious), but the whole system (and TOR) is easily exploitable. Plus the whole "le FBI has access to your connection" thing. TOR isn't as good as it used to be and should only ever be used for the deep web (and honestly even then I don't like tor too much, does anyone know another browser capable?)

Oh and yeah using tor for everyday browsing is not only unsafe as fuck but it's autistic as fuck. Use something else like ice cat or pale moon or some privacy-related browser.
TOR is not the same as a VPN setup at all and your connection could easily be intercepted with a determined enough attacker (i.e. man-in-the-middle).
>>
>>57318470
What do you mean? Like minesweeper or like batch/C+/C++/C/C#?

not that you would ever use batch for a serious game
ever
>>
>>57316580
test post
>>
>>57318512
Oh wait I see what you were trying to say there. Can't say anything regarding that, just that afaik as long as they have (the C library) then they should be able to play games using (the C library).
>>
>>57318498
>there are literal GNU/ Linux distros that use TOR only browsing like Tails
>but muh TOR is unsafe
Best for anonymity, anon, not encryption.

Now kys.
>>
>>57318560
By they do you mean the OS or the game itself?
>>
>>57318437
Alright, I got it! I was really fuckin dumb and didn't notice how easily I could change it.

I have another question though, when I try to watch videos on twitter they always say "the media could not be played" or something, why does this happen? Is there any way to fix it?
>>
>>57318210
I see what you mean. I'm stuck on level 6 as well. For 5, I just did "find -type f -size 1033c", which got me the correct file. For 6, I tried "find / -type f -user bandit7 -group bandit6 -size 33c", but I just get a bunch of files to which I don't have access ...
>>
>>57317864
Anyone?
>>
>>57318629
You don't just hold down the power button?
>>
File: photo2-1024x768[1].jpg (122KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
photo2-1024x768[1].jpg
122KB, 1024x768px
I'll make this quick

>have Windows 8.1 tablet connected to Sony Bravia (KLVS32A10) via HDMI cable
>image on the screen is cutoff, like as if i had the TV on a "Zoom" setting, but i dont
>checked all settings on tv via remote, overscan set to "normal" (there was no OFF, only Normal, +1, and +2)
>checked other display settings, made sure all was normal
>screen still cut off

Im using the TV as a 2nd display for the tablet. Is there a way to resize/pan it from the tablet itself so that it appears accurate on the TV?

(pic is not from me, just one i found on google images)
>>
>>57318651
Err, is that possible, I just powered off the psu's power switch
>>
>>57318670
it's overscanned
outside of plain "overscan" options, also look for a "game" or "PC" profile, they often disable things like motion interpolation and overscan, among other things you probably don't want applied to such content
>>
>>57318699
Ive gone through the rather limited menu on the remote, it doesnt have any other options like this unfortunately

Its not a huge deal as I can still use it somewhat fine, but its a bother

I was just curious if there is some program I can use to manually resize/reposition the output on Windows itself since Windows nor the Intel utility has any such options on it
>>
>>57318682
yes it's possible, just hold it down until it switches off
also you have a background service running that wont die.
probably teamviewer or a virus scanner

>>57318735
check the control panel for your graphics card
>>
>>57316920
KMS worked for me
>>
>>57318809
My main question was if it is bad for the computer to be shutted down from the psu
>>
>>57318735
some drivers have a means of setting an underscan, which is intended for use on CRT tvs which are physically set with an overscan by nature (rather than performed internally by software like modern digital flat panel tvs)

the problem is that you'll be downscaling slightly on the computer, then upscaling slightly on the tv, so even if you get the picture lining up this way, the image will be slightly blurrier than normal

one thing i found which may not apply to your specific model;
>On the Bravia I selected HOME > Settings > Setup > Screen Settings > Display Area
>It was set to NORMAL
>I changed it to FULL PIXEL

also, ensure the computer is set to 1366x768, the spec sheet for your model says that's its native panel resolution, just setting the computer to output that may be enough to trigger no overscan
>>
>>57318809
>check the control panel for your graphics card
I have already, there is no option in Intel's graphic utility thing nor Windows itself
>>
>>57318809

>also you have a background service running that wont die

You mean that if I end it manually it can turn off ok?
>>
I have an ASUS Gaming laptop with Windows 10 on it but want to downgrade to Windows 7.
My issue is they don't have drivers for Windows 7 listed on the website.
Would drivers for other laptops of a similar model work?
>>
>>57318855
yeah probably, and yes it's bad to shut it down from the PSU
>>57318842
no idea then senpai
usually you'd have options to adjust the picture from software on a non-integrated gpu
>>
>>57318735
>>57318837
ps. the spec sheet also shows it supports vertical refresh rates up to 75Hz
if i were you i'd also set up a 72Hz mode if you plan to play 24fps media on it
>>
>>57318901
>>57318902
I think I solved it sorta?
I set the resolution to 1184 x 666
Now the whole screen appears non-overscanned (or however youd say it)

I hope this looks fine for video and all as it is a bit scaled up but it looks fine on my TV so far
>>
>>57318578
>anonymity = safe
>encryption doesn't matter
literally retarded.
>>57318597
If you can run games with C libraries (which I'd be shocked if you couldn't) then yeah it would probably work. Depends though you'd have to look into it
>>57318601
I actually have no clue why that happens, happens to me too. What addons do you have?
>>
>>57318939
Exhentai Easy 2, which hasn't been working for me lately, and ublock origin
>>
>>57318931
looking at the spec sheet, it lists these screen modes: "wide zoom, normal, full, zoom, off"
"full" is what you want
>>
>>57318971
Thanks again but
I had scrolled through all of the options for the screen modes and they all had overscan applied

But like I siad before I was able to fix the issue by setting it to that weird resolution I had never really seen before (1844 x 666)
>>
>>57318957
Seems to be Twitter itself. Try whitelisting amp.twimg.com. Digging through the forums there doesn't really seem to be a fix even after PM staff worked on it.
>>
File: 1450866175539.png (2MB, 683x2939px) Image search: [Google]
1450866175539.png
2MB, 683x2939px
Will you be able to add RAM to a Surface Studio?
>>
>>57319075
How do I whitelist stuff?
>>
>>57319099
I was implying if you had flashblock or noscript installed, it would be in the options of the addon. It doesn't work for me regardless though. Twitter is a shit apparently and if you want to watch videos from it get another browser (i used to have both icecat and PM, but icecat was a bit glitchy. might work for you though)
>>
>>57319054
>KLVS32A10
>PC Input
What port are you plugged into on the TV?
>>
>>57319090
Probably not without voiding the warranty
>>
What do people use to backup drivers nowadays?
Gonna format Windows.
>>
>>57319359
Paying $500 more for 8gb extra is such a waste, I dont need an i7
>>
>>57318939
Overwatch was written in C++, and is not compatible with Linux. Would this mean that Linux can't run C++ based games?
>>
>>57319463
>Would this mean that Linux can't run C++ based games?

Please tell me if this is a serious question or not.
>>
File: 1403023502484.png (879KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1403023502484.png
879KB, 800x800px
>>57318939
I never said they were the same thing you strawmanning faggot.
>>
>>57319507
well I'm saying tor isn't safe
>>57319463
glibc
>>
By what >>57318939 said then yes it would be a valid question to ask
>>
I'm being stalked across 4chan. Outside of nuking my hard drive and changing ISPs, what are my options?
>>
>>57319772
Change filenames
Stop using correct punctuation
>>
>>57319772
explain
>>
>>57319796
also this
change the way you "speak" (see: type)
>>
>>57319800
I made somebody's shitlist. Threads I normally visit have had people dropping in, accusing others of being me or posting unrelated information to get my attention (which state I live in, images of topics I've shitposted about).
>>
>>57319155
hdmi
>>
>>57319864
Oh, and I've had people mock me for reporting their posts. I'm not sure if this person is a mod or what.
>>
File: 31-October-2016_18-37.png (69KB, 1382x744px) Image search: [Google]
31-October-2016_18-37.png
69KB, 1382x744px
What does this benchmark result mean? The drive is fairly new, not being written to or read from and has no damaged sectors. I have not ever seen a result like this before.
>>
>>57319882
how many threads are you going to post this in? are you autistic?
>>
>>57319926
This is the first sqt I've posted in, sorry anon.
>>
>>57319882
Show me these threads
>>
Trying to use an IPS panel from an older thinkpad to a newer one but the tape that was used to secure is gloopy and has left some gross residue on the back of the panel. Any recommended adhesive solvents/removers for me to use that's safe for electronic components?
>>
>>57319870
>Right side of TV
>To PC IN (RGB IN) jack
Or just keep using the shitty resolution if it's working and you're too retarded
>>
>>57319934
>>57319926
kek show proof. this just looks like you samefag LARPing
>>
>>57320036
>samefag LARPing
You're fucking stupid, perfect thread for you desu
>>
seems firefox wont install beacuse i lack Pentium 4 or newer processor that supports SSE2

Summary
Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
AMD Athlon XP
Barton 0.13um Technology
RAM
512MB Dual-Channel DDR @ 198MHz (2.5-4-4-8)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. nVidia-nForce2 (Socket A) 32 °C
Graphics
K-700 (800x600@60Hz)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Undefined)
Storage
4GB QUANTUM FIREBALL CR4.3A (ATA)
Optical Drives
ASUS CD-S520/A5
Audio
Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

What browser should I use. Also what hardware I can upgrade?
>>
>>57319941
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/336287747/#336303529

This is the most recent one I think.
>>
Twitch.tv gets cut off on my PS4 and my TV doesn't have any overscan settings.
Am I SOL?
>>
>>57318871
probably not, but since I'm planning to do the same, I'm interested in results.
>>
>>57320085
why not use firefox 45?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/
>>
>>57320110
>begging thread
Is the email you or the image (logo.jpg)
>>
>>57320204
The image is the topic I regularly shitposted about.
>>
>>57320054
does it not? I find it hard to believe that you're "being followed"
>>
>>57320110
>most recent
>may
so you are autistic
>>
>>57320224
Yeah, this has been going on for at least a year.
>>
>>57320243
>so you are autistic
>Yes
kek
>>
>>57320265
got him lmao
>>
>>57317136
Unfortunately not really

Maybe there's some setting in your bios (maybe something like "always prompt" in your boot order menu) but honestly just hammering delete when you turn the thing on is likely your easiest way
>>
How were you supposed to link a youtube vid in standard format (youtube.com/watch?v=) at a specific time? Something about t=numberofseconds or something like that.
>>
>>57320500
there's something in the description of videos, share or something like that
>>
>>57320500
#t=
>>
Is Windows10 still a free upgrade? What happens if you're on Windows 7 or 8 and initiate the upgrade process that it badgers you to do?
>>
>>57320572
thanks famalam
>>
>>57320578
https://www.microsoft.com/accessibility/windows10upgrade
I don't know what happens why don't you find out and tell me
>>
File: Selection_004.png (300KB, 366x509px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_004.png
300KB, 366x509px
Now with Torrent sites down, what's the alternative?

My interest is exclusively journals (science, NEWS MAGAZINES, etc). I would get PDF formats

Now, bookz, Libgen offers nothing.
>>
>>57320977
try http://4iahqcjrtmxwofr6.onion/
>>
>>57320992
nvm this seems to be down
search a spiderbot for the newest domain for the strategic intelligence network (SIN) if it doesn't work for you.
>>
>>57320977
Avxhome
>>
>>57320977
wait what's down now?
>>
File: 8539378638_070ff70e33_o.jpg (26KB, 340x274px) Image search: [Google]
8539378638_070ff70e33_o.jpg
26KB, 340x274px
If I buy a used Android phone, will a factory reset clear any possible malware/backdoors or is there some way they could have corrupted that as well?
>>
For the longest time, I haven't been able to torrent anything from a site, but other people are saying they have no trouble with it. If a tracker from a torrent is not connecting, are there any settings I need to change in order for it to connect? Any port forwarding or such? I don't think it is a problem with my ISP since I can torrent files from other sites just fine.

This is the tracker in question on qbittorrent. It says "not working" and it is listed in the error category under trackers.
http://open.nyaatorrents.info:6544/announce
>>
How big should I make root/var/tmp partitions for a 500gb hdd? Should I even bother with seperate var/tmp partitions? I understand the benefits but I'm not sure if I'll ever be in a situation where it matters.
>>
whats the best cpu for a lga 1155 socket, im going to replace my friends cpu; he just got a new motherboard recently for some reason; so i don't want him to replace it

pic related
>>
File: 5KcDtIK.png (1MB, 680x499px) Image search: [Google]
5KcDtIK.png
1MB, 680x499px
Can someone spy on my laptop internet traffic if I'm using my Android phone as an internet hotspot and using a VPN on my laptop?

>use phone as hotspot
>connect to hotspot and enable my VPN

does this work???
>>
Hello guys, is there any way to use whatsapp with linux other than whatsapp web?
>>
>>57321236
if you're concerned about someone accessing your internet through wireless you should just use tethering through usb. but honestly the hotspot should be fine as long as it's wpa2
>>
How do I switch for my right earbud to play the left audio and vice versa? My left ear is completely rejecting the earbud for some reason. It comes out as muffled unless I barely put the earbud in, and it's exhausting trying to find the right position. It doesn't do that if I put them in backwards.
>>
>>57316580
Is my builder trying to fuck me?

>decorating an apartment
>ask for 4xcat6 to the office
>go there to see work in progress
>single line to the office
>wife calls him
>he says that 4 sockets only need 1 line, the speed will be the same

He doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, does he?

Is there some way to multiple cat6 that I don't know about or is he going to put a switch in the wall as some standard procedure or am I just being rused?

>I think I'm being rused
>>
>>57321363
Sounds like he either doesn't know what he's talking about

Only way to make it would would be with a switch and assume you wouldn't notice the difference in speed, and I don't think that's standard procedure.
>>
I need to reformat 1tb hdd in order to put linux on it. Suppose i put all the files on a 80gb linux hdd. Then i format the 1tb hdd, then i install win7 again. Will I be able to see the 80gb linux hdd to put the files back?
>>
>>57321493
you'll probably have to install something to let you read ext formatted drives since windows won't read them by default
>>
>>57321363
>some way to multiple cat6
I meant multiplex.

>>57321398
>Only way to make it would would be with a switch and assume you wouldn't notice the difference in speed
It's possible that I wouldn't because the adsl is going to be the bottleneck, not the LAN. Still...it will fuck with my LAN topology and sticking a switch in the wall and wiring it to mains to save on running three cables sounds retarded, not to mention more expensive since you still have to wire it to the wall ports.

I suppose I should have paid more attention when he said that you couldn't have more than four ports in a house because that's how many routers have.
>>
>>57321363
tl;dr make him run four lines.

Ethernet can work in bus mode but you get packet collisions when more than one device tries to send a packet at a time. You could put a switch on the one line and prevent collisions but the devices will still compete for the same bandwidth over the one cable.

If you have four computers trying to access say a 100Mbps internet connection you're good. Even with packet collisions you're not going to come anywhere close to limiting shit.

If you want to have two file transfers at the same time between computers on the LAN you will get your speed reduced.

However cat6 is cheap. Pennies per foot. Running 4 lines along the same path is as difficult as running one. Paying someone to come back and run more lines is orders of magnitude more expensive. If you think you'll ever want more, run them ahead of time. You don't even have to put the ports in the wall. Just let them hang there until you need them.

Most likely he has no idea what he's doing. I did electrical and never worked with someone who knew anything about ethernet. The material savings isn't enough for him to bother screwing you over for.
>>
I use Emacs for everything, now I need to develop games on windows.
What the fuck do I do?
>>
>>57321493
If you don't need what's on the 80GB hard drive it would be best to reformat it under windows to use it. There are also formats like exfat which both Linux and Windows can read. There are lots of ways around this but it all depends on whether or not you have to keep the stuff on the 80GB hdd or not and whether you can put another partition on the hdd or not. A USB stick transfer might be a good idea if those aren't an option. If the 80GB hdd is in another computer a network transfer will be faster. Whatever it is don't count on being able to read an ext4 file system on Windows, at least from what I've heard.
>>
is there a cost-free program to edit PDFs?
>>
>>57321398
>Sounds like he either doesn't know what he's talking about
>>57321536
>tl;dr make him run four lines.
Thanks, that was my thought too. I wanted to be sure.

I've wired wall ports before, I had a good landlord once who let me wire the house, so I kinda know what I'm doing with it but I couldn't be sure that there wasn't some way to multiplex it that I just hadn't heard of.

I think in this case, it's just a typical case of 'promise everything, assure them that you know everything, deliver whatever you can be fucked doing'
>>
File: TheFuckIsThis.jpg (116KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TheFuckIsThis.jpg
116KB, 800x1200px
Is it possible to get the stability of ubuntu 16 and the eye candy of Cinnamon?
Is it going to be a messy hell of components not integrating properly?
>>
>>57321569
>I use Emacs for everything, now I need to develop games on windows.
>What the fuck do I do?
You're probably going to have to learn to use Visual Studio regardless but still, if you don't want to get Sublime Text then you should be glad that this is a thread for people who can't be fucked googling.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/efaq-w32.html

Win10 might even be able to run it natively or something?
>>
>>57321598

get ubuntu and install a proper GUI
the GUI is just the wallpaper, there is little reason to change your system for it
>>
>>57321598
LinuxMint is 80% Ubuntu and is stable as a rock.
Cinnamon and MATE are it's two main WMs.

Or just install Cinnamon in Ubuntu, should be ok.

>Mint even includes Ubuntu repositories in apt.sources
>>
>>57316920

Microsoft Toolkit, always. Never use BotnetPico.
>>
>>57320977
Note, anything but torrent is preferable.
>>
>>57319972

There's all kinds of goo removers out there. Check home depot or walmart. Those are safe on furniture and glass so I'd say you're good. I'd say you're safe to try acetone, isopropyl, ethanol, and methanol. Don't soak anything plastic in acetone. Wiping is okay but I've seen some plastics and rubbers degrade from soaking. I've seen people soak printed circuit boards in methanol before and it worked out okay.
>>
File: ChA4CTbUoAAd9M8.jpg (127KB, 735x979px) Image search: [Google]
ChA4CTbUoAAd9M8.jpg
127KB, 735x979px
Why monitors are 144Hz?
Not 128 Hz nor 150 Hz but 144!
There is any reason for this or it's just a meme?
Different monitors with different matrix types but frequency same
>>
File: file.png (113KB, 1366x716px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
113KB, 1366x716px
I can't view network shares on one computer.
They work fine on any other computer. What do?
Pic related.
>>
>>57321869
Because its a multiple of 24
You can turn the refresh rate down to 120 if you want a multiple of 30
>>
Lets just say I'm a Time Traveler. I need a camera that can be hidden well under cloth in a hat etc and has top notch fucking quality both for Picture and Video.

What's my best choice
>>
>>57321893
Make sure you're on the same homegroup
>>
File: 1477846188551.jpg (24KB, 577x382px) Image search: [Google]
1477846188551.jpg
24KB, 577x382px
So I recently replaced my laptop's mobo (with the exact same model, mind you) and now when I'm booting the computer up, it often won't go past the Dell logo and it takes several tries to boot to my OS
Should I just reinstall Windows or might something else be the issue here?
>>
>>57321953
stop trying to take pictures under girls' skirts on the train
>>
File: file.png (2KB, 366x65px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2KB, 366x65px
>>57321959
Huh. I can access this computer's share from the other computer..
I tried to add the homegroup but pic related?
Am I retarded?
>>
>>57321618
I installed 18 and couldn't even put the computer to sleep.
Will they fix it soon?
>>
>>57322080
I want to record historic events, I was thinking about strapping it around my chest and the lense can spoke out in a hole of the clothing or if I go back further I can wear it as a necklance or headpiece jewelry if it's small enough
>>
>>57322083
yep
>>
How do I find if a laptop has good l Linux compatibility?
>>
>>57322175
The Dell XPS family can come preinstalled with loonix
>>
>Dell Inspiron 15 7566 i7-6700HQ

Is it a good laptop to buy for $1000 on cyber monday? I know it's gayming and all but it doesn't look that bad and I like the cooling design.

I would happily buy it without the OS but I'm not sure if Dell does that...
>>
Is buying a 2015 Macbook pro for 1400€ with 2 1/2 years apple care+ stupid at the moment?
Don't like the "we need to get thinner" mindset very much.
>>
>>57322091
>I installed 18 and couldn't even put the computer to sleep.
>Will they fix it soon?
It's a laptop?
Recent laptops always have issues with linux drivers, same with laptops and the previous generation of windows.
>>
i bought new router asus rt-ac51u and ive got modem huawei e3372s-153, asus dont support this modem i saw videos when this work, but i cant configure this. can someone support me with this???????
>>
>>57322175
>How do I find if a laptop has good l Linux compatibility?
Do some research, especially google for "how to install X on Y". See how other people did.

You can start here:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
>>
>>57322243
960M is pretty weak as a GPU. If you're not planning on gayming then that's fine, but in that case you might want a laptop that doesnt't have any dedicated GPU on it at all.

But it's not a bad purhase as long as you know what you're getting for the money.
>>
>>57322452
Also:
https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/

If it can run ubuntu, you should be fine on most major distros
>>
File: h100i_v2_02[1].png (226KB, 1200x484px) Image search: [Google]
h100i_v2_02[1].png
226KB, 1200x484px
should I be installing the Corsair Link?
>>
>>57322479
Only if you need to save 5mm, otherwise go for ID Cooling Frostflow.

>or maybe you hate glowing things in your case
>>
How do I read a floppy disk in 2016?
I have an old reader, but will it works with my 2015 motherboard?
>>
my pc wont run with my DDR4 RAM set @3000mhz, i changed the ram settings in the bios.. i think.

i have a 6700k, is there anything else i need to change?
>>
>>57322610
If you can connect it then it should work fine. It probably uses IDE though which is getting pretty rare in modern motherboards, so you might need an adapter or USB floppy drive.
>>
File: volume.png (2KB, 58x145px) Image search: [Google]
volume.png
2KB, 58x145px
Two questions about pic related in win10
>Can this be moved at all? Would like it at bottom right corner where it doesnt block anything vital.
>Is there any way to disable mouseclicks on it? If I accidentally click it then it shoots from 6% to 96%.
>Currently it moves two steps for each keypress. Is it possible to make it move one step at time? That'd give me smoother control over voice levels.
>>
File: clock.jpg (31KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
clock.jpg
31KB, 800x600px
My big clock broke. I installed a clock program on a old computer. Do you think it's good to let it on day and night? Consumes power?
>>
>>57322646
DDR4 doesn't work at 3000 Mhz
>>
>>57322722
Just go and buy a clock from any random store nigga. That thing will consume more electricity in one minute than wall clock does in a week.

>>57322646
Does your motherboard even support 3000mhz?
>>
I miss one of my first SML lecture, there's a simple question that puzzles my mind : Given three classes A, B and C, is there any difference whatsoever between the relations :

A [1] --"association1"-->[0..n1] B [0..1] --"association2"--> [0..n2] C

and

A [1] --"association1"-->[0..n1] B [1] --"association2"--> [0..n2] C
>>
>>57322774
>SML

meant UML. fuck.
>>
>>57322479
I don't have it anymore.
Never liked corsair software.
>>
What screwdriver would I need to get into my macbook pro retina?
>>
>>57322810
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299
>>
>>57322083
Ignore this "homegroup". Go with the workgroup. Homegroup is just higher abstraction of workgroup.

sysdm.cpl -> "computer name" tab -> change -> make sure it is Workgroup instead of domain (im pretty sure you dont use domain) -> the name should be the same as in others -> which by default is WORKGROUP

Besides, there is a slight chance that netbios is disabled.
But instead of \\<hostname> you may use \\<ip>

t. dumb wintel admin
>>
>>57322646
>>57322748
>DDR4 doesn't work at 3000 Mhz
>>57322759
>Does your motherboard even support 3000mhz

A different retarded anon here, I have ram that is DDR4 3333Mhz, is it supposed to run at that speed? Because bios says that it's 2133Mhz even though it also says that it's 3333. I'm so confused.
>>
I don't think this question warrants another thread so I'll ask here. What are some good recommendations for a mini laptop?
I'm not looking for anything high end. I'll be using it for instant messaging, listening to music, and watching videos. Trying to find a low priced one but honestly don't even know where to start looking.
Any anons feel like helping a bro out?
>>
>>57322774
B [0..1]
B [1]
Well, duh. The second assumes there always has to be instance of B class.

Secondly, are you sure about the association?
>>
>>57322831
I'm not buying all those tools just for one set of screws. They must do a cheaper screwdriver with only the right heads.
>>
>>57322882
3333Mhz is the maximum speed that memory is capable to perform. If your motherboard doesn't support it then your memory will automatically underclock to whatever your mobo supports. You might be able to get higher speeds by fiddling around in bios, but that depends on your motherboard.
>>
>>57322882
There's a difference between Mhz and MT
Your memory is DDR4-3333 (MT)
It runs at 1666 Mhz

The fact that your BIOS says its running at 2133 MT probably means it is running slower than it could, assuming your motherboard supports DDR4-3333
>>
>>57322931
>3333Mhz is the maximum speed that memory is capable to perform. If your motherboard doesn't support it then your memory will automatically underclock to whatever your mobo supports
Ok, thanks.
I have an Asus Deluxe II, supposedly it supports 3333Mhz but maybe not my sticks.
>>
>>57322944
Motherboard will often underclock RAM to the minimum speed if they can't detect type, in the case of DDR4 that's 2133

If your RAM is indeed DDR4-3333 you should manually set it in the BIOS
>>
File: 1427328721081.gif (671KB, 434x360px) Image search: [Google]
1427328721081.gif
671KB, 434x360px
Hey you! how do I take cropped screenshots in my computer?
>>
File: Untitled.png (19KB, 591x380px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
19KB, 591x380px
I dun goofed a little and need some advice.
Pic rel is my old PC, where an old GPU - HD58xx - had died. So I've bought cheap replacement - R7 260x, which would also indent for upgrade.

I was trying to run Battlefield 1, however it runs badly (5 fpses) on lowest possible settings.
Seeing the YT videos however, this GPU can run around 60fps / 1080p on medium.

That means, I've got some choke point here. How would I determine if it is either CPU or mobo fault? I could try OC.
>>
>>57316677
Those cdkeys you find online are to fool the offline authentication not to legit activate. Since you said you have legit version you bought, just use your own cd key
>>
My IPTV keeps going out after half an hour or hour of working, and works again when I reset the TV box, but the internet I get through the same provider and that's plugged into the same router is flawless, is this a problem on my end?
>>
File: Capture.png (4KB, 292x78px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4KB, 292x78px
>>57322987
See these bars? The two big ones are the recommended CPUs for BF1
The little yellow one is your CPU
Overclocking isn't going to cut it, you need something new
>>
>>57322931
>3333Mhz is the maximum speed that memory is capable to perform.

false again there's ddr4-4266 available to buy now and very likely higher speeds coming out as ddr4-4000 was the latest hot shit a few months ago

>>57322986

alt print screen to capture only active window, use paint or something to crop

otherwise use windows snip tool or something

>>57322987

I'd say update drivers and make sure the monitor is plugged into the gpu not the integrated cuz 5fps sounds like it's using the integrated
>>
>>57316776
Its to ensure you're not an idiot
>>
>>57322986
Take a normal screenshot and crop it? If you're on windows then alt + printscreen takes a screenshot of the active window and Snipping tool can be used to take cropped screenshots.

>>57322987
Battlefield is very CPU-heavy title. You need a recent 4-core intel processor to run it.
>>
>>57323034
>false again there's ddr4-4266 available to buy now and very likely higher speeds coming out as ddr4-4000 was the latest hot shit a few months ago
Calm down, anon was talking about my specific sticks of ram, which are G-skill TridentZ DDR4-3333Mhz.

This build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VPjJwV
>>
File: DU7c9SI.png (11KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
DU7c9SI.png
11KB, 205x246px
>>57323052
>You need a recent 4-core intel processor to run it.
>4-core intel processor
>intel
>>
>>57323067
yes because 4 core amds are nothing like 4 core intels. there's no conspiracy going on
>>
>>57323067
AMD processors are very outdated at this point. Zen will fix that but for now intel is the only option.
>>
>>57317040
Then install it again. Microsoft usually lets you use the same key on multiple computers at the same time
>>
>>57323066
>Calm down, anon was talking about my specific sticks of ram

it wasn't phrased that way and I assumed >>57322748 was shifting the goal posts

your mobo supports ddr4-3333, just set ram speed to 3333 somewhere in the mobo (avoid xmp, setting the speed manually usually works better)
>>
I'm trying to implement a search that works depending on which dropdown box you have selected in php.

This is what I have on my search page
<label for="field"></label>
<select id="field" name="field">
<option value="title">Film Title</option>
<option value="year">Film Year</option>

And this is the code I have on the results page
if ( $_POST['field']=='title' ){
//do something }
else
{
//do something else
}

My problem is that it just doesn't work. Rather than recognising I've got the "title" option selected, the code will jump to the else section and only execute that. What am I doing wrong?
>>
If I want a new (I don't like buying used) non-thinkpad Linux laptop, what's my best option?
>>
How are the displays on Thinkpads? I'm thinking of getting a used one for graphic design but I'm worried the color reproduction is fucked due to them being so utilitarian-oriented.
>>
>>57323146
>How are the displays on Thinkpads?

generally very poor, the later models might have improved but by all accounts dell and apple thrash thinkpads as far as displays go

>>57323140

if you don't want a business class laptop, dell xps/mba/mbp seem to be the way to go
>>
>>57323112
I dont know anything about php, but is the value even set at all? Try printing it before doing if-else to see what it contains.

>>57323146
You can get something half-decent out by adjusting settings manually but they're not intended for photo work.
>>
>>57317432
>Why does windows need drivers at fresh install and linux doesn't?
People usually install the latest ISO of Linux. Microsoft very rarely updates ISOs of Windows and usually to include a service pack.

tl:dr; Linux ISOs get

>>57317613
There's a good wallpaper with a ton of common terminal commands, try using that.
updated

>>57318027
>it it opens in a new tab like it should, but then instantly closes
Your browser is probably killing the popup.
>>
>>57323112
Do some debugging.

file_put_contents('/tmp/debug.log', date('c').var_export($_POST, true)."\n", FILE_APPEND);

Then you can see what is being passed in and work out why it isn't satisfying the test. Also double check that the query is a post and not a get.

Another server variable useful to dump is $_SERVER.
>>
Why won't my windows boot when my 4tb external hdd is plugged in?

It started ever since I got a new mobo and cpu.

I checked the boot sequence but booting from ssd is still #1. I cant even find any usb booting options in my bios.

My other external hdd's work fine.
>>
What's the significance of the 32 difference between upper-case A and lower-case A in ASCII? Is there any real reason for it?
>>
>>57323052
>>57323034
>>57323024
Thanks for feedback.

What about mobo? Should suffice?
I've lost touch with AMD, as I utilize intel in new hardware, but there was a deal with back/forward(?) compability in AMx sockets? What other "families" may I apply to it?
>>
>>57323415
no
>>
File: asciifull.gif (27KB, 715x488px) Image search: [Google]
asciifull.gif
27KB, 715x488px
>>57323292
Your mobo might have some automatic feature that checks USB devices for bootable drives before continuing with standard boot sequence. All the other devices you've tested work fine but that 4TB drive does not respond normally for some reason. Might be a sign of hardware failure.

>>57323448
I woudn't recommend any AMD processors before Zen is released. And Zen uses new AM4 socket.

So whether you're waiting for Zen or switching to Intel you'll have to replace your mobo to support processors made for another socket. You should also upgrade to DDR4 while you're at it.

>>57323415
Someone just felt like putting random symbols between uppercase and lowercase letters. Probably those were used to align letters nicely in the codepoint table they were using.
>>
>>57323529
i recently got new parts so i doubt there is hardware failure

i got i7 6700k, asus z170 pro gaming aura
>>
>>57317136
>Install/repair grub
>set ssd as first device to boot from in bios
>>
>>57323543
I mean that the external hard drive you're using might be failing.

Try disabling CSM from boot options. It might interfere with secure boot.
>>
File: 1453216607001.png (59KB, 174x200px) Image search: [Google]
1453216607001.png
59KB, 174x200px
>>57316580

I was running Cyanogenmod 12.1 on my Moto G 2nd Gen up until recently when it crashed and refused to work.

I'm now looking to install a new rom, but I'm not sure which one to use. Could anyone recommend me one?
>>
>>57323672
>Try disabling CSM from boot options. It might interfere with secure boot.
im a retard, can you explain what you mean ?
>>
>>57316770
You could easily do that by making a bash script that imports let's say an RSS news feed and plays it using text-to-speech.
>>
how do I disable the halloween skin?
>>
>>57322459
>If you're not planning on gayming
I do play in my spare time though. What are some better laptop alternatives? Couldn't find anything better considering $1000 limit.
>>
File: Sieppaa.png (185KB, 873x655px) Image search: [Google]
Sieppaa.png
185KB, 873x655px
>>57323750
This thing in your BIOS. Set it to disabled instead of auto.

>>57323779
If you want a gaming laptop that'll run latest titles without struggling then you'll have to invest 1500-2000 dollars to it. Consider a cheap laptop and a seperate desktop gaming pc instead.
>>
>>57323529
As I said, this is my secondary machine. Hence, I was curious if there is a way to replace CPU and enjoy BF1 w/o replacing mobo. If not, then is also fine.

So far, I see on videos, Phenom X4 and higher are able to handle BF1 on medium settings.
Now only to crosscheck with those available in shops.
>>
>>57323807
thank you I will try that as soon as my backups have done copying
>>
Why does my mouse feel worse after disabling Windows acceleration?
>>
>>57323807
>If you want a gaming laptop that'll run latest titles without struggling
Not at all. I no longer buy games and honestly I play them less and less nowadays but I have plenty of somewhat aged games in my steam library that I've bought and couldn't run like L.A Noire for instance.

> seperate desktop gaming pc instead
It's always the best solution obviously but mobility is a must for me at the moment.
>>
>>57323887
Switching from something you're used to, to something you're not?
>>
>>57322855
They are both the same, I can't use the \\hostname or \\ip, I've tried.
No idea what's going on here ;_;
It was working fine a few days ago, I didn't change anything manually..
>>
apparently i need to have the latest windows updates installed to play civ 6 but ive got the old Windows update that takes days to find new updates and gets stuck at 0% when downloading them. ive tried manually updating but that doesnt work, anyone got any other suggestions on how to fix this shit?
>>
What's a good colour scheme for terminal + vim?
>>
I have an issue which a lot of you may have had. My dad's flip phone broke and he needs a new phone. I'm from an ex-commie country, so we're quite poor here. Should I get him some weird flip phone for 30 euros or a cheap smartphone (I'm thinking about Lumia 435, it's 60 euros)? Suggestions?
>>
what are the main differences between DAC and MAC in linux
>>
my hdd is dying, any tips on how to back it up. or what to back up first.
>>
What's the best way to convert bits to bytes? Is there a formula to it?
>>
>>57324276

Just get a cheap flip phone. Cheap smartphones are really shitty. If you want a smartphone then always get flagship. Otherwise you're just throwing money down the drain.
>>
>>57324330
divide by 8
>>
>>57324330
n/8
>>
>>57324347
>>57324349
Oh yeah. Shit.
Thanks.
>>
>>57324314
Well first all your personal files, the ones you can't just download again. So your /home directory on *nix, or you Documents and Settings directory in Windows. Backing up anything else saves you some hassle, but if you lose them it's not the end of the world.
>>
>>57324372
Lol
>>
File: 1476044722607.png (435KB, 795x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1476044722607.png
435KB, 795x1022px
How the FUCK do i shut down this stupid fucking halloween theme christ why do they keep doing that.
>>
>>57323778
pls respond

>>57324547
this.
>>
>>57324343
Well, I myself own a Lumia 640, it's also a cheap smartphone.
>>
>>57324547
>>57324586
got it

https://s.4cdn.org/image/skeletons/*

https://s.4cdn.org/css/spooky.662.css

these two need to be blocked.
But if you're one of those "dark as muh soul" guys and use tomorrow theme you're shit out of luck
>>
>>57324603
Still fucked my theme up, arguably even more.

Thanks for trying though.
>>
What is the best torrent client for Windows?
Please with no ads and shit like that.

Thanks smartanons.
>>
>>57324669
qBittorrent
>>
>>57324669
qBittorent probably, deluge is (was) fine too
>>
>>57324396
ty.
I don't want to back up everything. I only want to save the necessary things, so I can "start fresh", but it makes me anxious just to think about all those files I will have to pick (or delete).
I think I also need to save my .bash_history and .bashrc and the bookmarks.
some overly edited config files, like mpv's.
phone back ups....

what would anons back up from their HDDs if only the essential was allowed?
>>
What's the best Blue Ray driver? I have a budget of 50-100€ to spend on it.
>>
File: 1452688744632.png (174KB, 562x389px) Image search: [Google]
1452688744632.png
174KB, 562x389px
I'm thinking about getting a new computer, and was wondering if it would be worth just keeping the same processor?

I read online that processors will outlive their worth and in the end the only reason they'll die is because someone's stupid with them or the motherboard takes them out with itself. Is this true?

I've got an i5 3570k and my only other option that fits in my price range at the moment is an i5 4500
>>
What's a good, preferably cheap tablet ? Me mum wants a tablet for just browsing and shit, so I guess a decent resolution and more than 1 GB of RAM so that android wouldn't shit itself
I've never looked into tablets so I have no idea what companies for them are decent, what companies are cancer ?
>>
>>57324720
if you will use the same socket type, sure, but if you will want to upgrade it a year later, you will have to purchase a new motherboard, new processor and probably new RAM, so basically you will pay twice
If your motherboard is fine, then the "new computer" argument is stupid, since you would only be changing a GPU and possibly PSU, nothing else
>>
>>57324747
Guess you have a good point.

Everything's 4 years old so I'm just worried about something breaking on me. Will my mobo and ram stay alive after living this long or should I just get new everything?
>>
>>57324688
>what would anons back up from their HDDs if only the essential was allowed?
My Documents folder, cause it contains all my college stuff (but more importantly all my reaction images), and my .vimrc. In fact, those are the two things I sync with Google Drive, so I'm 100% safe.
>>
>>57324811
>fucking 4 years old
Only my GPU and SSD is newer than 4 years in my PC, what the fuck are you worrying about, there's still some shit that is more than 10 years old that still work in my PC
>>
>>57324863
Ah alright, thanks anon.
I guess I'm just paranoid because one of my GPU's died the other month.
>>
How to delete this halloween skin?
>>
I use wifi from a WRT54G router from like 2005, maybe older.

Sometimes my connection drops out and I can't reconnect until I reset the router, but not the modem.

Is this problem coming from my Router or my ISP?
>>
Are there any sites that provide maps to print?
OSM have a limitation of scale 1:38500 for large area, and seems the only to provide.
Are there other options then screen-capping google earth and stitching the image?
>>
Does adding ram to a laptop improve gaming fps/quality?

(ex I'd consider upgrading from 4gb solded to motherboard to 4+8gb)
>>
How do I get rid of the haloween meme?
It reminds me that I am alone.
>>
>>57325057
Nope, the GPU has it's own ram.
>>
Two questions.

1. Is there any substantial difference in quality or failure rate or etc between 2TB, 3TB and 4TB Seagate Barracuda drives?

2. Is there any reason to use a PCIE SSD if I only use my PC for gaming and Photoshop
>>
I've had Arch for a while, but still got this small issue
i installed some huge 50MB package to properly display chinese/japanese and some similiar languages. If I want firefox to properly display Thai, Hindi, Bengali, Maratchi, Bunjali, Sanskrit and few others, do I need to install more of those huge packages again?
>>
>>57325177
i tried to update my 6 year old 2TB hdd's

i ended up with a stack of broken 3/4TB drives

still using the 2TB drives
>>
How does MP3 encoding work?
Specifically, what's the header and what's the data?
>>
>>57318443
You probably just have the wrong package name
>>
>>57325216
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#File_structure
>>
>>57324669
I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say the-ancient-leddit-approved-version of uBotnet unfortunately.

Windows doesn't have any decent clients, at least for Windows XP.
>>
>>57318470
They compile a different executable for each OS
>>
>>57325216
the header is what tells the decoder "this is an mp3 file with this characteristics"
>>
>>57325270
Thanks
>>
>>57325057
If you're running out of RAM, yes. If you're not, it won't have any impact.
>>
File: tcd.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
tcd.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
Newfag here - I have a thinkpad T450 with intel i5 running on Win 7. I want to connect it to my really old tv using a VGA to RCA cable like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/1-5M-Male-Audio-Cable-Adapter/dp/B00OQ0G61C/ref=pd_sim_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1B59VN8DGNA6R14JA2Y1

Would my laptop support component video signal output function to do so? Google is giving me different answers.

Pic related

Thanks in advance
>>
File: 1469635717712.jpg (99KB, 830x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469635717712.jpg
99KB, 830x720px
Is Bittorrent a trustworthy software?

No piracy involved I'm a good boy and merely need to download some files legally
>>
File: A1IQl6q.jpg (550KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
A1IQl6q.jpg
550KB, 1920x1080px
Hello.

I have problem with komputer sometime.
My komputer have 2 screen.

>I start up komputer with 2 screen
>Most of time is OK all look good
>Sometime I start up komputer with 2 screen
>I enter passwort and get teleport to start screen with icon
>On main screen text blurry / fuzzy like skin of bear
>I yell and curse at komputer
>I turn komputer off
>I turn komputer on
>Everthing OK
>!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!!?

Why this happen? I literally press no thing and the screen sometime have weird text but other screen is OK only main screen weird text

I look in the setting of Windows and too in the setting of video driver both screen same setting

pls help
>>
I used my laptop and an HDMI cable to watch a movie on my TV. I forgot to switch the screen on my Linux and it's black after the password because it recognizes the TV screen. How do I switch display before startup?
>>
>>57325401
Probably, but you could just use qBittorrent or Transmission or anything else.
>>
>>57325413
Is qBittorrent the law abiding citizen's torrent software of choice?

I will use that then, thanks anon
>>
>>57325401
Sure thing salem.
>>
File: 1380859440340.jpg (973KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1380859440340.jpg
973KB, 1920x1080px
>>57325404
pls help
>>
File: 1470940553358.gif (2MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
1470940553358.gif
2MB, 300x164px
How do I make a twitter account without having to give them my phone number? I feel like I'm being shunned out of society from all angles. I'm not welcome anywhere anymore.
>>
>>57325379
Forgot to mention - the laptop has intel HD 5500 graphics
>>
>>57325504
http://www.receive-sms-online.info/
>>
>>57325544
Not him but aren't those numbers blocked?
>>
File: 20161031_01.png (21KB, 559x255px) Image search: [Google]
20161031_01.png
21KB, 559x255px
lastfm has this popup if you use an adblocker

I've tried to block the element with uBlock Origin, but it keeps re appearing

what do?
>>
>>57325560
Blocked by whom?
The carriers?
>>
>>57325569
Reek anti ad-block
>>
>>57325578
twitter
>>
>>57322365
It's a Sandy Bridge HP laptop from 2012.
I read that it might be related to the kernel on Ubuntu 16.04 that Mint uses, but I found no mentions of update in the distro
>>
SOMEONE MAKE THE CLOVER DEV SUPPORT SOCKS5 PROXIES
>>
File: 123123123.jpg (61KB, 440x612px) Image search: [Google]
123123123.jpg
61KB, 440x612px
I reinstalled PC and fonts and colors are fucked. eg. fonts are pixelized and fuzzy, and appear to be thiner and smaller than they should. Pic related is an example: on the left is the image generated on the fucked up PC, on the right is the image generated on normal working laptop. However, if I open the pic on the right on the PC it displays it normally! The pic is generated on a site that I use to track calories.

Monitor is not the problem though. I have tested monitor pluging it on laptop and it displayed fonts normally. Also, I attached old (but working) asus monitor on the fucked up PC and it too diplayed fonts in this broken manner.

Is this the graphics failing?

My configuration:
i5-4460 with integrated graphics
mobo: H81M-P33
ram: 16gb
>tfw fell for 16GiB
>>
Is it worth upgrading from a 3570K yet?
>>
I've uninstalled my network adapter drivers in safe mode because I thought they were faulty. When I restarted windows started to work like shit (more than always), it was slow and it took literally HOURS to turn off the system. I turned off the PC by psu and now I'll try to format. Can I do that installing another windows? I had w10 and will use w7
>>
What is a good way to store an external hdd?

Im gonna put an external hdd full of backups at my folks house. I'm probably never gonna need it, only in case of when my house gets destroyed by a fire or a flood or something.

What is the best way to store it? Wrap it in bubble wrap? Should I wrap it in aluminium foil too to prevent idk static shit or something?
>>
>>57325828
I'd wait for cannonlake at least.
>>
>>57325869
oh and also in case there ever is a breakin and someone steals my shit or maybe when someone destroys my shit on purpose

i got over 15 years of collected digital data on there, games, movies, pictures, music and I wanna secure it.

How do I store an external hdd so it still works 10 years from now?
>>
>>57325869
Use an SSD instead, put it in an antistatic bag and store it in their attic. Also encrypt everything and back it up to at least two cloud services, Dropbox and Google Drive are reliable. Only back things up you can't find and download in 5 minutes, if it's on Steam or Netflix or iTunes, don't bother.
>>
Meant to ask this here >>57325975
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-31+at+01.15.22).png (11KB, 353x454px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-31+at+01.15.22).png
11KB, 353x454px
I cant figure out how to use loops in a useful way in c++
Say i have 12 variables and i need to let the user input each one
Is there any way i can use a loop for that or do i have to just continue typing out
std::cin >> 1;
std::cin >> 2;
>>
>>57325938
Not who asked, but i've been using MEGA for like a year and it's pretty good + you get 50gb for free
>>
Did YouTube just broke?
>>
>>57325837
Anyone?
>>
>>57325938
sorry but I dont have money for 10tb in SSD's

how to I store an external hdd?
>>
>>57325994
yeah I forgot to mention I got several terabytes of data

+15 years

so I can only use these external hdd's I already have for this job

how do I store them?
>>
im trying to play CSgo and my ping fluctuates like crazy making it basically unplayable

i tried using a routing program but it still fluctuates all over the place, but they do help keep it lower. it just jumps from 30 to 120 over and over again and i cant figure out why

is there anything that i can do about this
>>
>>57325989
Arrays bro
int sqArray[size];
for (int i = 0; i < size; ++i){
std::cout << "Store: " << i << endl;
std::cin >> sq[i];
}

However this shit might broke with wrong input, but You get the idea.
>>
>>57325869
>>57325905
Really hard to say, nobody really studies these kind of things. But as long as you keep them away from vibrations/shocks, moisture and temperature changes they should be fine. You could wrap them in tinfoil if you want to but I doubt it affects anything. No harm in it though.

They won't last forever though. If the data is important to you you might want to keep multiple backups. Possibly on different locations in case of house fires or whatever.
>>
>>57326076
Forgot, do You need to provide size? If so, then ya need to make dynamically allocated table.
>>
>>57325994
Yeah, but it's only been around for a few years, and it has a reputation for being overly generous and shady. Use it as an option sure, but maybe not the only one.

>>57326019
Like I said, narrow the data you want down to way less. Backing up music or movies is fairly pointless because you could just store a list of torrents from the Pirate Bay, and chances are they'll still be active 10 years from now. If not, just find a different tracker or get a subscription to whatever streaming service. Those things won't be LOST just because you do not have access to them. I doubt for instance that you'll have trouble finding a copy of a Beatles album ten years from now, so don't waste space with a FLAC version of it. Save, and only save things that CAN'T be found anywhere else. Obscure indie music that doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, home movies, etc. Maybe consider not storing things as 7GB AVI files and 5MB PNGs either.

If you need to back up 10 TBs of data, you are doing something wrong. Also, you can't do much besides wrapping it in bubble wrap and hoping for the best. Put it in a metal safe or something sturdy, and store it in a cool, dry place.
>>
>>57326076
Thank you
>>
>>57326085
yeah im gonna put a few external hdd's at my folks house who lives a city away so I guess thats pretty safe unless both are cities get nuked or flooded or whatever but then i dont really care much about the data anyway

i thought maybe because of electromagnetism or something it would be good to put them in tinfoil/faraday cage but I have no idea if that really matters.

also I thought tinfoil would save it more from temperature changes or it might make it worse?

maybe when hdd's get cheaper I will make another set of backups and store it on another place too but for now 2 locations seems more than fair

>>57326096
nah man I have been collecting shit since I was like 12 years old, its not only because i cant find it anymore its also because it has alot of emotional value, i also have lots of game shit, mods, savegames, videos, pictures, movies, tv shows, i just wanna keep it all because its mine and has been after all these years

of course documents, pictures get saved double on the external hdd's but i also want to take with me my games and movies
>>
>>57326113
Btw, before applying for developer, I've studied this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321714113/?tag=stackoverfl08-20
>C++ Primer (5th Edition) 5th Edition
>Lippman
It's fucking great.
>>
Super stupid question: as my PC takes long to turn off i've tried to press the power button in my case but nothing happened, then I used my PSU's power switch, is it the same pressing the power button than holding it?
>>
I want to format my HDD and go from w10 to w7, I have w7 in a usb stick, if I boot from there will I be able to delete the previous windows and all the data I had?
>>
>>57326170
Depends on the motherboard, usually it's a bit more graceful. I'd consider using sleep mode or something instead, even if you shut the PSU off afterwards.
>>
>>57326234
Yeah, just select the existing partition and delete it/make a new one in its place.
>>
>>57326240
Why?
>>
>>57326122
Out of curiosity, could you run something like WinDirStat on your data? I'm interested in the breakdown.
>>
>>57326273
no thanks im not gonna break down all my data im trying to save it
>>
>>57326261
Mostly because of hard drives. I'm talking out of my ass here, but I think most OSes sync things before sending the computer to sleep so your shit doesn't get corrupted by interrupted transfers.
>>
What's a good app to download torrents on android?
>>
>>57326170
What the fuck, nigga? You're damaging your hard drive hard by doing that. Just reinstall windows if the current installation is that messed up.
>>
I know during the association of a client to an AP the AP assigns a client a "Association Identifier". There are only 2007 available numbers though. Why are there 2007 specifically?
>>
File: crabs.png (595KB, 526x769px) Image search: [Google]
crabs.png
595KB, 526x769px
>>57316580
I bought a new cpu/mobo combo recently, and I don't know what I have to do to install it.

I know how to plug it in and all that, but software wise what do I do? I use AMD currently and I'm not quite sure what to do.

I uninstall the AMD drivers, right? Then plug in the new stuff, then install intel right?
>>
>>57326481
just backup your data files and format windows
>>
>>57326491
I don't want to, I'm in the middle of a semester and I have a ton of shit I'd have to back up and my external is back at home.

That's what I'm trying to avoid
>>
>>57326446
Oh fuck, thanks
>>
>>57326481
If the CPU and the chipset are different, chances are Windows won't boot without a reinstall. It's dumb but the drivers have to be compiled/packaged during installation or something. Either get a new hard drive, back things up online or hold off on upgrading until you can do either.
>>
>>57325404
>>57325502
davai komrades you can do this
>>
where can i find pirated versions of windows xp ?
>>
>>57326481
If you're not reinstalling windows (which you should do, windows installs processor architecture specific stuff) then it's just plug and pray mostly. You might want to download ethernet/LAN drivers for your new motherboard though, it's a bitch to get them without any connection.

>>57326511
You should probably wait for a vacation then.

>>57326544
It's probably detecting a wrong pixel format. Might be a sign of damaged or badly connected cable, but most likely just a random windows or driver hiccup.
>>
>>57326541
>>57326607
I don't have the ability to reinstall windows from a disc/usb drive, is there some where I can just like factory restore my windows or something so I can install the intel drivers?
>>
>>57326607
Spasibo friend!
Cable I buy new lately, so I update nvidia driver because was old one.

I hope this is repair.
>>
>>57326701
my radeon card would do that when it was overclocked but only during game loading screens. set clocks to proper speed and it stopped entirely, check temps
>>
>>57326647
Use the sysprep tool (windows/system32/sysprep/sysprep.exe) to generalize your windows. This should remove any hardware-specific things from your windows installation. After you've done this just swap parts and start your pc and windows will try to figure out what it needs to get the system running.

It's still recommended to reinstall windows. If you're not doing that at least back up your most important files.
>>
What's the best drawing tablet I can get for under $85? New or used, doesn't matter. I did loan a Wacom Intuos Pro once, and while the tablet was fine, the drivers froze up my shitty laptop every time I drew.
>>
File: 1468353077374.jpg (30KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1468353077374.jpg
30KB, 400x267px
My girlfriend used Macs in college to do art shit and she wants to get an iMac for art shit. In a previous thread I asked about this and was told that that is retarded basically any computer can do art whit like she does (wacom drawing shit, whatever). Anyway, I was thinking of getting her a Lenovo Ideacentre 700 and putting Elementary Luna on it and putting Krita and Gimp on that bitch. Would this sate her?
>>
>>57326928
>Would this sate her
No because it's not a macbook therefore it's shit lol!
If your girlfriend isn't stupid it should be okay.
>>
>>57326325
hardware buffers need to be flushed, as hdd's are powered off during standby
however, filesystems are still "open" in standby, so it's not completely safe to turn off the machine from standby

in linux, you can remount everything as read-only, which closes the filesystems, making it safe to power off (you may loses application data if applications are left open, but at least the filesystem won't risk corruption)
not sure if the same is possible in windows

of course, all of this is worse than shutting down proper
>>
>>57326770
Oh that'll help a lot, thanks a ton.

Anything else I should know before I get to it? My parts don't get here til thursday but I'll go through my shit to backup what little I can (I have a flash drive that's only 4 gigs)
>>
>>57326966
>If your girlfriend isn't stupid
She's not she is just really comfortable with the paintshop shortcuts on Mac and is impatient with learning computers, I guess. I don't mind financing a Mac I guess but it just seems silly to be wasteful.
>>
how do i get rid of this theme but keep the skeletons? nothing in this or any other thread has worked
>>
>>57327065
Tell her no, or she can come up with her own money and buy it.
>but keybinds
You can remap all keybinds
there are even projects that you can download that make gimp 100% keybind accurate within gimp
>>
New thread
>>57327195
>>57327195
>>57327195
Thread posts: 365
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.