[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 353
Thread images: 34

File: DwightpretendingtobeJim.jpg (20KB, 350x392px) Image search: [Google]
DwightpretendingtobeJim.jpg
20KB, 350x392px
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here ONCE and WAIT for a reply. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

>for Linux related stuff >>>/g/linux

READ THE STICKY FIRST >>51971506

GOOGLE BEFORE POSTING

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

Redirect any retard creating their own thread with >>>/g/sqt
>>
So when I was growing up the kit down the street with way too fucking much money had a switch on his television that allowed him to switch between all his consoles (and this fucker had em all let me tell you).

I want something like this for the modern day. My television has two HDMI inputs but that's not enough for all my devices. Obviously I can switch the cables out, I do it all the time, there is no reason I need my Blu Ray player, HTPC, and Xbox 360 and whatever else hooked up at the same time, but I had back surgery not to long ago and aside from that its a huge pain in the dick.

So I don't know whats its called, and I don't know what to search for.

Like if you have 4HDMI devices to choose from but using one HDMI input and you can switch between them.

What the fuck is this called and do you have any of them you'd recommend.
>>
My professor let me and my friend install GNU/Linux distro on PC. He chose Ubuntu (he's new to GNU/Linux). I'd normally go with Arch but our network speed is ~120KBps so I wouldn't be able to perform installation under 45 mins.
Which distro would you recommend? Not depending on network at school is top priority. Pacman would be preferred.
>>
does this 1463849131543 show when the file was uploaded to or saved from 4chan?

>>57219265
hdmi switch box
>>
I last bought RAM two years ago. Is it okay to buy a new set that doesn't match the old one and run them together?
>>
domains have several DNS "NS" records indicating their responsible domain servers, I understand that and know how to configure my domain with my registrar

now this post here
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12763974
tells me that you can have NS records with servers from different companies on your domains

Question: Can you just add any random DNS server to that list and it will magically work? Are these companies using free/paid services?

I guess AWS DNS is obviously for paying amazon customers, but I couldn't find any good info about it with my weak google-fu and ambiguous search terms
>>
I need some advice on connecting a wired Xbox controller to Android. When I plug it in it just blinks the whole ring forever and other than a small popup from my file browser saying something like "preparing USB device" there's nothing to indicate the phone recognizes it. It's a Moto X Play on the latest CM
>>
File: 20161024_134250.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_134250.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>
>>57219640
I need to know what size/type screws these are because no matter what I try to open them with nothing works. Need to get under the hood and replace ssd with a bigger and faster ssd 128GB isnt enough

computer is MSI GE62
>>
So my software engineering asked us this "Is user software/program/app a system software? Why?" Is the answer to this no?
>>
>>57219655
looks like standard philips screws? are they just very tightly screwed in?
https://youtu.be/6spEcQ4cZdk?t=70
>>
Will LibreOffice and MSOffice ever be fully compatible? Any addons for Libre? I'm thinking to fully switch to linux but this is holding me for now.
>>
i3 6300 vs i5 6400 for light gaming? civ 6, league, overwatch all the normie games basically. from what i gather they're pretty similar, with i3 lacking behind on fps. could be nice to save the few bucks
>>
File: youcandoit.png (195KB, 1337x1050px) Image search: [Google]
youcandoit.png
195KB, 1337x1050px
>>57219709
>>
Is it possible in Visual Studio to include libraries for an entire solution instead of doing it project by project?
>>
Where is the cyberpunk thread?
>>
>get a phone call for a job
>it's a headhunter company
>They ask me if I'm still looking for a job and when I'm available for an interview
>They don't want to tell me who's the company
>they don't even want to tell me what the job is about
>go to job interview today
>Talk to the director of the headhunter company about the job offer
>we talk about me
>I start asking questions about the job & company I'll be working for
>All I get is "you'll do some dev, they want you to be good with SQL and do some support"

Is this kind of offer common ?
>>
>>57219942
youre being set up
>>
>>57219952
I'm scared now
>>
does anybody have trouble with windows 10 not detecting iphones as portable devices anymore? I always transfer my pictures manually from the phone but this time something is fucked. itunes sees my phone just fine, literally everything is up to date but windows doesn't pop shit up. the only thing that helps is reinstalling itunes fresh. it works ONCE after that. then it's fucked again. is this some "le we fucked it up on purpose because we don't like apple + microsoft users" shit? holy fuck this is annoying.

>inb4 google

I tried literally everything. I'm not dumb. fuck off.
>>
>>57219942
Why did you even go?
>>
>>57219942
Recruiters and Headhunters withhold all the information until they send someone in for an interview or to start working. I worked at one place for 2 weeks through a recruiter before I realized that no one had even given me the phone number to the place.

If they give you the name, position, job description and phone number, there would be nothing stopping you from going around the recruiter and applying directly. The company pays the recruiters to be gatekeepers so that this does not happen.

The recruiter doesn't even get a full job description, they get like 3 sentences.

Source: Worked as a temp, friend worked as a tech recruiter. You're not being set up, the job market is just complete and utter bullshit and it's exactly as stupid as it sounds.

If you don't want to be contacted by recruiters, make your shit private on stuff like Monster and Indeed and what have you. Don't apply to shit on Craigslist and you should be good.
>>
>>57219265
>>57219468
AKA KVM

>>57219534
As long as both are same version of DDR# (# = 2,3,4) and your motherboard supports the total amount (RTFM).
>>
File: 20161024_143203.jpg (2MB, 3832x1804px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_143203.jpg
2MB, 3832x1804px
>>57219706
I thought so too but they wont budge. I watched a ton of videos on youtube with people very easily removing those 3 screws but it doesnt work for me

pic related is the screwdriver I've tried. Maybe I need a smaller one? This one already seems pretty small though
>>
>>57219668
>my software engineering lecturer
>>
File: 20161024_143227.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_143227.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>57220060
It works on all the other screws on the laptop except those three and all those youtube videos say all the screws of the laptop are the same size so idk
>>
>>57219534
You shouldn't... Replace entirely.
>>
I want to setup my new MX300 SSD in my PC but I need to backup my VMWare Workstation 12 VM, I need to keep it because that is the VM I use to go on the Deep Web.

How do?

Another thing that I am curious about is how to make the VM screen bigger, it's pretty small and surrounded by black bars. When I had a Windows 7 VM it wasn't like that.
>>
>>57220007
Things are a bit different in my experience.

I've seen two different things happen:

>company hires headhunter company
>company has NO in-house HR or recruiters, so you must go through them
>recruiter will tell you name of company once they have figured out that you might fit the bill (usually within 5 minutes of talking to them) and they know you can't circumvent them

or

>recruiter sends you an email with the job description saying that if you agree to some terms then they will send your info to the company
>you must reply with "Confirmed"
>then they will tell you the name of the company and more info
>the emails are apparently legally binding to say that you may only apply to that company through this headhunter for the next year or something
>if two headhunters do the same thing with the same company, you cannot legally be hired because they would conflict so BE CAREFUL if you work with headhunters

he's getting scammed imo
>>
>>57220078
wrong
>>
>>57220133
It sometimes works fine but it's recommended to just switch it out! RAM is fucking dirt cheap.
>>
>>57220120
If a company can't be bothered to pick up the phone and call you then it's almost definitely a scam.

Don't bother replying to job offers in e-mails. If they can't call you it's because they're not even physically in the country and the employer refuses to pay for international calling.
>>
How to into KMS without getting all that extra bullshit installed on my pc? Is there a better activator?
>>
I have a laptop with usb type c but its not thunderbolt 3

can I use external gpu enclosures?
>>
>>57220162
Usually in the 2nd scenario they will call first and explain the email thing. I have gotten emails with job descriptions written in poor english with no call, they want me to move to Smogtown, NJ and work in something I have no experience in. I just ignore those.
>>
>>57220175
No
>>
What is the name of that website that sells cheap windows 10 activation keys?
>>
>>57220006
I was curious.
>>
>>57220242
it went out of business when windows 10 came out
softcicle or something like that
>>
what happens when an hdd fails? you cant get the data at all?
Should I use ssd or hdd for my programming files?
Also what is the most reliable brand/model?
>>
Where do I go to buy a monitor panel, I broke my PG348Q and need the panel LM34WU2 by LG. Please tell me where I can buy one. Or is it better for me to send it to LG
>>
Bought an Insignia Bluetooth adapter for my PC and after installing their software, the PC would bluescreen due to usb3mon.sys every time I plugged it in. Would I have better luck trying a slightly more expensive one on Amazon (my employee discount gets it for $4, Amazon has them for $8), or should I just try cleaning out / fixing my drivers?
>>
>>57220303
Send it to Asus*

my mistake
>>
>>57219463
Anyone?
distrowatch.de gets me Antergos but I think it relies on downloading too.
>>
>>57220293
>what happens when an hdd fails? you cant get the data at all?
Depends on the type of failur. If the read/write head scratched the surface, then yes your drive is totally toast and your data is gone. If the motor has problems you might have a chance, but not always. Same with a broken electronics board.

>Should I use ssd or hdd for my programming files?
I'd say go for SSD if your budget allows it, the speed alone makes up for it. But remember to still make backups. SSDs are not necessarily much better than HDDs for lifespan. When an SSD stops working it simply does stop working, there's no easy recovering.

As for HDD manufacturer quality, they are more or less equal.
>>
>>57220276
fuck, that sucks

Thanks for the help!
>>
>>57219463
What about Debian or Ubuntu netinstall? You can install a minimal system and it will pull the necessary data from the network, you don't have to download the whole ISO. Should be available for some other distros too.
>>
>>57219534
Just make sure the voltage, frequency, and timings match. Brand does not matter.

Your system should automatically choose the highest frequency that all DIMMS support, so the slowest stick will pick the clock rate.

I'm serious about the timings, exact fucking match. If you put one stick with 13-15-14-28 timings in with a stick that has 13-15-16-25 timings your system will not automatically pick the loosest latency(if a setting that matches both sticks even exists).
>>
>>57220327
Thanks. so whats the safest place to keep data as backup?
What are external hdds?
>>
File: 349-BP-5000-tmp[1].jpg (56KB, 900x350px) Image search: [Google]
349-BP-5000-tmp[1].jpg
56KB, 900x350px
Is a VCR considered a computer?

I've been sitting here trying to think of the very first computer I touched in my life and I think it might have been the family VCR in 1988.

VCR's contain microprocessors and according to google's definition of a computer

>an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

VCR's store data on VHS of course, but I'm getting a bit stuck at "instructions given to it in a variable program". VCR's often had the ability to in either SP/LP/EP. Is that not a variable program?
>>
>>57219600
I don't see why not. Your sites record would propagate to/be cached on some other companies DNS server eventually anyway.
>>
>>57220276
>>57220242
kinguin? but i wouldnt trust any of those sites, you should just pirate instead.

>>57220293
it's not always the same.
sometimes you can get some files back, sometimes a lot, sometimes almost nothing.
Hitachi, HGST, WD.

>>57220365
He just needs to set the fucking BIOS to the same speed as the slowest RAM.

>>57220409
No.
>>
>>57220429
>no

Not good enough.
>>
>>57220444
Deal with it.
>>
>>57220075
When you say they won't budge do you mean the screwdriver just turns without moving the screw? If that's the case then you might need a smaller/pointier Phillips.

If you mean they won't budge as in they are really stiff then just unscrew harder. Those ones probably have loctite on the threads to keep them from wiggling/vibrating loose on their own.
>>
>>57220409
no, VCRs are not user-programmable, which i would consider a key function of a computer

(and no, the "programmable" recording feature doesn't count, they call it programmable, but it's not the same usage of the word, this is more "configurable")

oh, and VCR's don't store digital data on tapes, it's all analog (inb4 someone mentions D-VHS)
>>
>>57219668
Some software provides both user and system functionality, some does not. You need to be more specific.
>>
>>57220394
>Thanks. so whats the safest place to keep data as backup?
two or more drives, preferrably in different locations (in case your house burns down... you get the idea)

>What are external hdds?
Movable HDDs not always attached to / screwed into your computer. Attached via USB or similar.
>>
>>57220004
nvm, finally figued it out. turns out the phone needs to be unlocked if you use a code/touch id before windows will detect it as a portable device. holy shit that's retarded.
>>
>>57220494
>>57220409
to be more specific, i mean the ability to enter/load/run arbitrary programs that make the machine do something it didn't already do out of the box

a VCR only does what it was made to do, you can't make it do something else
>>
>>57220528
so like flash drives but bigger?
That sounds convenient. Whats their fail rate?
>>
>>57220409
>Is a VCR considered a computer?
Yes. Assume it a VCR with an LED or on-screen time counter.

Then

>Input: pressing the play button
>time counter starts at 0
>VCR Microprocessor tracks time and speed of video, calculates new time stamp for each frame
>outputs new time stamp on its LED display or on the television

variable input>processing>output

It's a computer.
>>
Is there a simple way to save all texts with a selected contact on your samsung smartphone? Maybe to a .txt file or something like that, so I can then safely store it on a pc and keep em, since I'm planning to do a factory reset but don't want to throw away the millions of texts i've shared with someone.
>>
File: 1476150826107.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476150826107.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Is there a program that will either download my Spotify library or make a CSV or similar file of my library?
>>
I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu and motherboard, but I've heard of some issues with upgrades and windows 10.
If I get new parts will windows 10 keep working properly or will I have to reactivate it?
Also, what's the best way to go about doing that? A quick google search shows that the easiest way to do this is to make a microsoft account, and then link the key to it and just sign in to your account after the hardware upgrade. However, I don't really want to make an account or deal with ms support if possible. Is there another option for me?
>>
>>57220542
>i mean the ability to enter/load/run arbitrary programs that make the machine do something it didn't already do out of the box

That definition is too limited. If it were true it would mean things like arcade machines with ROM chips soldered in are not computers.
>>
>>57220550
>so like flash drives but bigger?
Yeah basically, a metal HDD as a usb stick, sort of
>That sounds convenient. Whats their fail rate?
A little higher than fixed HDDs I suppose. The USB board might break, they use cheaper HDDs inside the enclosure since you don't really a high-speed HDD externally (most of the time anyways). I've used two WD 1/2TB external HDDs for my backups, they've been running fine for over 5 years, but I use them maybe once a month.
>>
Installing SSD as my main drive. Anything extra I have to do?
>>
>>57220004
I switched to android long long ago but...

Are you trying to transfer though iTunes, or just expecting iTunes to set up windows explorer transfer capability/drivers after it's installed? You might have to do everything directly through iTunes or just jailbreak the phone.
>>
>>57220602
I fixed it already, thanks tho
>>57220536
>>
>>57220409
>>57220555
perhaps it would be better to ask if he meant "is it a /general purpose/ computer"
in the strict sense >>57220555 describes, yea, it's a "computer", as in it has input/process/output

but it can only run the program(s) it came with on ROM, it's not user-programmable, so it's not general purpose

i'm assuming the first guy was referring to general purpose computers, as that's what people normally mean when they say "computer"
>>
I'm new to programming.
How do I start learning Assembly?
>>
>>57220550
kinda except they're regular hard drives with spinning discs but outside your computer in their own case.
a flash drive has no moving parts.
depends on the brand of HDD they use inside and the controller. You could just get a regular internal and put them in a case yourself so you know what you get.

>>57220592
Most likely reactivate.
You will want to remove old drivers beforehand and download the latest for your new mobo beforehand just in case.
You should also make a windows install media in case the above doesnt work so you can just reinstall (this is recommended anyway).
You could just use MStoolkit and activate.
>>
>>57220494
If it's a VCR that allows you to do things like assign a channel a name like CBS, NBC, etc then it is programmable in the real sense. You're adding information from "outside the box" which is then stored and can be recalled later. This is even more true when you have favorites buttons that can be used to shortcut putting in a channel number.

I'd argue setting a custom recording starting and stopping time is programming as well. It's a set of instructions for the computer to follow that can be customized through input that results in an output (the recorded video data) You have to give a better reason why you think it isn't.

digital/analog doesn't really matter.
>>
>>57220109
Don't reinstall shit when you put the SSD in. Just clone the existing drive onto the SSD.

If the original drive is larger than the SSD then shrink the partition down before you clone it. You should only have to clone the boot partition, move some files off of it onto another partition if you're having trouble getting it small enough.

If you have black bars around your VM and it's not scaling the screen automatically then you probably need to install the guest additions/drivers.
>>
>>57219770
bump
>>
>>57220699
As of right now, there won't be a huge difference, but you should go with the i5. It will be much more future proof, and having 4 real cores instead of hyper threading is pretty great.
>>
>>57220646
Grab your nearest C/C++/Python/any high-level language not related to java book, you shouldn't start assembly until you get a grasp on how computers work, so you should start with a high-level language.
Programming is like a hole: If you run down too fast you may get hurt
>>
>>57220697
This.

Try CloneZilla.

>>57220699
I agree with >>57220709 if you can afford it, you save money in the long run.
And with the right mobo you can even OC for extra performance for almost no extra cost.
>>
>>57220751
>you can even OC for extra performance
he was looking at a non K processor.
>>
My case's side panel is vibrating, and making an annoying buzzing sound. How can I stop that? I'm guessing attaching weight to the inside of it somehow? what would be the best way to do that?
>>
>>57220751
>>57220709
I see. which version should of i5 should i grab? or is 6400 enough? I mean generally I prefer fps over graphics, so playing on low graphic settings is no problem for me. Also since 6100 is only 100dollars, i could ultimately upgrade in few years with i5, assuming my mobo is still fine. Then again, i dont have much knowledge on any of this, othet than what i found out in the last few hours.
>>
>>57220783
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiGJCUANbA

>>57220820
put some rubber spacers on it
>>
>>57220845
i meant 130dollars.
>>
xbox 360 wireless gaming reciever won't sync with my 360 controller on new windows 7 install
I set up the unknown as common controller, just won't sync
ideas?
>>
>>57220293
Use two disks in RAID1. All the data is mirrored on both drives so if one fails you don't lose any files.

HDD's will survive more writes than SSD's will. SSD's are more durable than HDD's. SSD's are faster and more expensive per GB. SSD's use less power and often are smaller. Proper wear leveling should help SSD's from losing data after they eventually pass there maximum number of writes, but they will still not sustain as many writes as a HDD will before they fail. Theoretically a HDD should last longer but in practice they are far more prone to mechanical failure.

You should keep a backup of your programming files on a separate drive or backed up to a server/cloud storage or just use RAID1. Use all three if you're paranoid.
>>
what's the difference between non-blocking and asynchronous I/O
>>
>>57220820
well, first you should figure out why it's vibrating. If something is hitting against it then you need to make it stop hitting the side.
If it's vibrating because it's loose or something, then yeah. The best option would probably be to just shove something next to the panel to stop it from moving around.
>>
>>57220845
the 6400 is fine.

>>57220861
you'll lose almost as much by getting an i3 now and upgrade to an i5 later

>>57220867
raid is not a backup
>>
>>57220303
Just RMA it. Don't take it apart and fuck up your warranty unless you are completely sure it's not covered/out of warranty. Sometimes warranties extend beyond the listed amount of years.
>>
>>57220848
like washers or something between the screws and the panel?

>>57220879
I have tried tightening the screws. That didn't seem to do anything.
>>
How can I automatically turn electrically off (in the same way as unplugging it from socket) a device, in my case a monitor, when I shutdown my PC and turn it back on when turning my PC on? Would I be able to set a Wemo or TP-link wifi socket to do that?
>>
>>57220305
Lookup the chipset inside the adapter and find another driver that works with it. The supplied driver is just shit.
>>
>>57220923
yes or where they are touching the rest of the case.
>>
>>57220697
>>57220751
I want a clean install of Windows, I don't mind installing the few applications I use lol.

>install the guest additions/drivers
Will do. How?
>>
>>57220536
It's not retarded, it's called security. What's retarded is not having an option to disable that feature. Newer versions of android have the same security feature, but we're allowed to disable it/set individual computers as trusted.
>>
>>57220929
They make power strips that have one outlet that switches all the others. When power is drawn from that one outlet, the rest of the outlets switch on, when that power draw goes away, they turn off. These can be had inexpensively from your online electronics retailer of choice. They're usually sold as "smart" or "energy saver" power strips.

The only problem you might have is that a PC does draw some power even when off - a few watts of it. This powers the 5v standby rail and is why you don't have to change your CMOS battery every year.
>>
>>57221008
Just backup your VM files then.
The guest stuff is on their website.
>>
>>57220599
If you use gahnoo slash loonix, add "discard" to your mount options in fstab for every ssd partition.

If you put your home directory on the ssd, remember to put your browser cache on another drive/ramdisk. Symlinks are your friends (on Windows too).
>>
How would I go about specifying a range for random numbers read from /dev/urandom? eg 1-255.
>>
Fresh Windows install, need a Torrent client. What do the cool kids these days use?

I used utorrent 2.2.1, but haven't looked around for anything better for a while.
>>
>>57221102
Qbittorrent or transmission.
>>
>>57221102
>What do the cool kids these days use?
idiot kids still use utorrent
>>
>>57221117
>DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

you are not entitled to an answer
>>
File: 38wloPF.jpg (288KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
38wloPF.jpg
288KB, 960x1280px
Why has no one written a compiler that takes in x86 machine code, and compiles it down into, let's say ARM machine code, or any other architecture machine code? It should be possible, shouldn't it?
>>
>>57221159
Because people who learned x86 assembly should have no problem learning a RISC assembly like ARM.
>>
>>57221117
fuck off
>>
>>57221158
>>57221190
there, it's deleted gosh
>>
>>57220599
Make sure your controller is set to AHCI and is passing TRIM and S.M.A.R.T. commands. Maybe turn off your page/swap file if you have enough RAM.
>>
>>57221169
Not sure if I understand your answer? I mean, with that compiler, you can take any binary blob, like drivers, any proprietary software, and run it on for example ARM CPUs without emulation.
>>
File: 1475765291218.gif (4MB, 317x317px) Image search: [Google]
1475765291218.gif
4MB, 317x317px
I'm trying to bypass Factory Reset Protection on a Huawei p9, I followed several methods on the internet to the letterm but they all seem to be patched unless I'm retarded.

For example, I can get in to the settings menu, and normally you should be able to enable developer mode by tapping the build number 7 times but it doesn't enable.

I also tried using a tool from hardreset.info, but it was more than 6 months old so I guess it got patched.

I tried using quickshortcutmaker to get to the account manager but it missed the change password option.

Please help, any suggestion is welcome.
>>
File: 1467401914607.jpg (50KB, 448x330px) Image search: [Google]
1467401914607.jpg
50KB, 448x330px
I think Chrome is killing my PC

After opening a lot of tab, everything slows to a crawl on my SSD

What's a goat browser these days?
>>
>>57221280
Get more RAM.
>>
>>57220750
Maybe if we explain interpreted vs compiled languages he will start to understand why assembly is such a pain in the ass.
>>
why is there little talk of the massive ddos? seems like i would be a hotter topic. patches, updates, affected devices, etc.?
>>
If I already installed a custom kernel on my android and I want to try a different one, do I need to do anything with my build.prop?
>>
>>57220880
allright, thanks for the help mate
>>
File: 1462288636934.jpg (46KB, 776x602px) Image search: [Google]
1462288636934.jpg
46KB, 776x602px
>>57220536
>holy shit that's retarded
>>
>>57221345
In general you just have to flash the new kernel and wipe cache/dalvik cache.
You can check on the XDA thread for the kernel if there are any specific instructions, but in general you shouldn't have to change anything in the build.prop.
>>
>>57221269
>you are not allowed to fucking factory reset your phone

sell it and buy a new one. This shit is ridiculous on way too many levels. You are literally being shat on by the chinese botnet.
>>
How to properly interpret TDP value for CPU?

To be more precise, I want to know, if my i7-6700k, reaching spikes of 85C under heavy load and uusually hand around 70-75C around that, 50-60C under most cases and 27-30C when just standing there with CP turned on, is properly cooled or not.
>>
Has anyone had any luck with Kalman filtering GPS data from phones for tracing human movement?

Is the momentum too low?
>>
>>57221457
Lol, it's because it's a """"found"""" phone.
If you factory reset a phone it demands you to log in with the last used google account before you can use it. I don't have that account.

I'm trying to bypass that so that I can put my own google account on it.
>>
>>57221102
Deluge is the best hands down
>>
>>57221070
Yup just did, thanks.

>The guest stuff is on their website
I'll take a look, thanks again.
>>
>>57221198
> page/swap
I'm on Windows.

>Make sure your controller is set to AHCI and is passing TRIM and S.M.A.R.T. commands
How do?
>>
>>57221026
Thanks!
>>
>>57221429
Thanks anon-senpai
>>
in google chrome in incognito i can search my bookmarks, however in opening the "bookmarks manager" to see a tab of all my bookmarks, it opens in a non-incognito tab

is there any way to open Chrome's "bookmarks manager" tab in an incognito window? I don't see the purpose in the browser seemingly disallowing this. Manually copying the "chrome://bookmarks/#1" URL and pasting it into an incognito tab opens a normal tab of the page.
>>
>>57221607
Why Incognito? Just delete history daily.
>>
>>57221621
I only use Chrome for the cookies in a NSFW flash game I play. Manually deleting the browsing history of everything but that page seems a nuisance when I logically should be able to just do my sex stuff in incognito without worry.

Need to use Chrome for this since I use Chrome on mobile, and my porn bookmarks there are synced with my Google account, so Firefox (my main browser, tho it pisses me off) can't serve this purpose.
>>
>>57221331
because this isnt >>>/news/

>>57221568
you can set page/swap on windows....
>>
>>57221644
>my porn bookmarks
Lol, is it so hard to remember a few sites my nigga?
>>
how do i make both of my monitors have the same colors? preferably if i can make my main monitor look the same as my other monitor
>>
>>57221660
Ok, how do I do all of that then?
>>
>>57221644
I love reading about advanced porn setups.
>>
>>57221669
I have fuckin miles of porn bookmarks, dude. My poor 8GB storage space tablet can't hold all the porn vids, though I sort and xfer all the images I save.

And sometimes vids get deleted so it's cool to visit a bookmark and see which got a takedown request.
>>
How do I install Lav filters in Wine correctly?
>>
>>57221689
disk management
>>
>>57221660

you're right, it's not /news/. that's why I'd expect more than just a short news story
>>
>>57221692
Maybe you just need to torrent porn.
>>
>>57221698
Disk management can do all of that?
>>
>>57221687
Quick and dirty: play with the color, brightness, and contrast settings in one monitor's built-in menu until it looks like the other.
In-depth option: Color calibration. Photo and video people commonly do it, requires a piece of hardware in order to do properly.

Check before doing either of these: The default color space for TVs is smaller than that of computer monitors - put a TV and a monitor side-by-side displaying the same image and the TV will often look a bit washed-out. Some video cards and drivers assume anything plugged in via HDMI is a TV and use the TV color space. So if your problem is that a monitor using HDMI has dull colors, poke around in your drivers and see if that's going on.
>>
>>57221710
BRUH. When it comes to vids I only fap to cocks and pussy from behind. High quality vids would be great for pussy, but professional stuff seems to usually be plebeian sex and maid-takes-off-uniform-seconds-into-the-video stuff. Not what I'm looking for. But yeah, might be cool to explore it.

Still being cockblocked by the bookmarks tab forcefully opening in a regular tab, though. Perhaps I can delete the browsing history entirely while still keeping cookies, but incognito Chrome is easier on the eyes. Would prefer not to be cucked by Google into staring at white.
>>
>>57220938
Yeah it was a strange website it sent me to, never heard of it before and it seemed outdated. Didn't think of that though thanks
>>
>>57221750
Don't know then my negro
>>
>>57221729
>In-depth option: Color calibration. Photo and video people commonly do it, requires a piece of hardware in order to do properly.
fuck
thanks though
>>
So I have been having an issue where randomly my computer gets a black screen and whatever sound is playing just gets a static like repeating. I asked in a different thread and an anon said to change up the order of my RAM. I did that but it still has the issue. Now when I put the ram in the other two empty slots, the computer boots up and shuts down on an infinite loop. Now I have no idea at all what to do.
>>
>>57221280
chrome does actually kill your ssd with file caching
>>
File: file.png (8KB, 148x153px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8KB, 148x153px
>>57219213
I've been getting some random stutterings on everything that's on my ssd and I opened crystal disk info and got pic related which I assume is what causes the stuttering. Can I do something about this? Will formating the drive help or do I just need to find a new one?
>>
further, you'd think that ISPs would send notices to owners of affected devices. since it's apparently easy to remove, mailing out a few letters would be a small price to stop potentially disruptive future attacks
>>
>>57221008
Well you have to put the backups somewhere/preserve the existing files. If you don't have an external drive/another disk you could just shrink down the exiting partition/delete what you don't need. Or just leave that shit intact.

The easy way to do it would be to just install a new copy of windows on the SSD without touching the existing drive. Plug the SSD into the SATA port labeled 0, or 1 if there is not a port labeled 0. Or stick it in the M.2 slot, or PCI-E slot, depending on what kind of SSD you have. Then set as the first boot device in your BIOS, might not even have to if you used the first SATA port. Make sure you plug the old hard drive back into a SATA port after installing Windows, use port 2 or 3.

The default location in Windows for your VM files(the ones you want to backup/preserve) is the "My Virtual Machines" folder in "My Documents". If you can't find it after the clean install go to whatever letter the old drive gets assigned and look in :\Users\(your old username)\My Documents. If you're on linux it should be in /home/(your old username)/vmware. That's assuming you did not set a custom location, if you did set one then go into the VM options to find out where the hell you put them.

To install the guest additions just click on VM-Install VMware Tools in the menu at the top of the window while running a VM. Or download the ISO and mount it to a drive on the VM.
>>
>>57221764
Try the first option before doing calibration. Calibration is best for if you need to make something IRL (like a printed photo) match the colors you see on your monitor.
>>
>>57221765
get dust out of the ram slots, try one ram stick at a time in each slot to see if it works.

run memtest.

>>57221789
isnt that number just the % of the bits that is healthy? it should not impact performance at all.
formatting will probably not do much if the drive is actually dying, but doesnt hurt to try.
if you mean defrag, just dont even think about it, it will rape your SSD even worse.

>>57221790
who are you talking to?
>>
Anyone here have any experience with Kinguin or G2A Windows 10 Keys?

How trustworthy are they? Especially since you can reactivate them if you know what you are doing, rendering others PC's useless.
>>
>>57221857
>it should not impact performance at all.
That's what I thought, but the stuttering is real, and I've had the same kind of stuttering on my old hdd right before it died. It's a shame I bought it like 1 year ago and it's already fucked up.
>>
>>57220820
You might have a fan that's going bad. Maybe you just need to tighten the screws connecting the fan.

You could get some rubber washers/spacers to stop the vibrating.

If your ghetto you can just fold up some paper/cardboard and wedge it in gap between the side panel and the case. If the panel slides on just hold the folded paper against the inside edges when you close it.
>>
>>57221803
Thanks anon! Is there anything in specific that I have to do after installing the SSD? Like to get it at full speed.

>>57221857
You can't defrag an SSD on Windows 10, it does something else.
>>
>>57221877
Hey, I can't help you, but when you say "Especially since you can reactivate them if you know what you are doing, rendering others PC's useless", do you mean as a brick? Or by merely giving a "not genuine" tag if some sorts? If it bricks your PC that is horrible and I would never fuck with it, just to avoid having that over my head, just saying,
>>
Excuse my retarded-ness,
Why doesn't Copy/pasting an .exe's hex values into blank file work?
(It shows a cpu architecture error or something).

How would I go about converting an executable file into a byte or string form which can then be converted back?
>>
>>57221905
Not Genuine. If W10 Bricked PC's like that Microshit would be out of business by now.
>>
>>57221915
Cheers. Sorry I couldn't help you and just used you to extract info from you...
>>
File: Ab02Y00T (1).jpg (52KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ab02Y00T (1).jpg
52KB, 1024x768px
>>57221824
ive tried that but i just cant make it look good.

i want the left monitor to look like the right one got any ideas of what settings might be off?
>>
>>57221857

thinking aloud. not a crime, is it?
>>
>>57220864
Turn the controller on, then push the sync button on the receiver, then push the sync button on the controller.

Try another USB just in case it's not getting enough power.

Install the fucking drivers. https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/gaming/xbox-360-controller-for-windows/52a-00004#techspecs-connect
>>
>>57219213
how to torrent on school wifi? each student has a unique login, is a vpn good enough?
>>
File: Mf2shv8.png (141KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Mf2shv8.png
141KB, 1400x1400px
Alright, I need to temporarily clog my entire upload speed. I've tried doing that by uploading big files to youtube, however that didn't use up all of the upload speed. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 1473389737578.jpg (54KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1473389737578.jpg
54KB, 612x612px
seriously, what in the fuck....

this is so fucking strange.
>>
>>57221888
Did you optimize your OS for SSD use?
You still have warranty in case it dies so start backing up important stuff.
Maybe you're just unlucky and got one made on a monday.

>>57221900
Make sure you set user files/temp/swap/page to another drive.
There are some guides on the web for win7 but on win10 you shouldnt have to do most of the steps.

>>57221909
compile/decompile
>>
Apologies for my inexperience. I'm ripping a lot of DVDs to put on my NAS, with my laptop's SSD as a middleman. The way I'm doing it is this:
>create 1:1 disc image to an ISO with Brasero
>convert to video with handbrake
>delete ISO
>move video file to NAS

Will this kill my SSD? The reason I ask is because I've read that:
>If your SSD has a block size of 256KB, then it would have something like 480000 blocks for a 120GB drive. Assuming a P/E endurance of 5000, a program can destroy your SSD after 300MB of data written to it by writing one bit to each cell, and then erasing it.

While the above was on the Google product forums about moving Chrome's cache to an SSD, I'm nevertheless a bit concerned about all the writing/erasing I'll be doing.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-10-24-23h11m45s284.png (1MB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-10-24-23h11m45s284.png
1MB, 1280x738px
This looks terrible. Why is it, /g/?
>>
>>57222099
>Did you optimize your OS for SSD use?
Not really never knew that's actually a thing
>start backing up important stuff.
Already started the second I noticed the stuttering
>>
>>57222177
i see jpeg artifacts around the numbers in the sky at the top left corner, for one
>>
>>57222099
>comile/decompile
No but you see I don't want the code to be seen,
what if for example it's a third-party executable and I don't have access to it's code.
>>
>>57222177
Turn off motion blur
>>
>>57222243
It's set to 80; do I change it to 0 then?
>>
>>57220876
Asynchronous I/O does not input/output in the order/sequence it appears to be listed.

Non-blocking I/O refers to inputs/outputs that let other inputs/outputs happen/start before the first set finishes.
>>
>>57222177
cus you're retarded and took a screenshot of a video
>>
>>57220923
Stuff some little chunks of folded cardboard around the screws before you tighten them down. Ghetto washers/spacers.

Maybe cut out a little square piece of cardboard and poke a hole through it, then put the screw through that.
>>
>>57222243
>>57222316
It's set to 80 again!
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (121KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
121KB, 1536x864px
will this work? the turntable is a usb model and i only have one set of good speakers and they are currently being used by my pc through a lepai amp.

yes, i know im retarded.
>>
File: Capture.png (45KB, 1003x512px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
45KB, 1003x512px
I can't delete this dumb fucking file.
It shows up in the explorer, it lists it in cmd, but it insists that it's not there.
>>
>>57220929
I think some UPS/battery backups let you program sockets through the data link.

Just set the monitor to go into standby(but not power off after a set timer) after it loses signal. It should wake up again when it receives a signal. Turn the power/status LED of the monitor off completely, it will pretty much look like it is off. Those things draw pretty much zero power in standby.
>>
>trying to install lib32-rtmpdump

>fails

what exactly am I missing

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /lib/../lib/libz.a when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libz.so when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libz.a when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.2.1/../../../libz.so when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.2.1/../../../libz.a when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libz.so when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libz.a when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.2.1/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.2.1/../../../../lib/libgcc_s.so.1 when searching for libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /lib/../lib/libgcc_s.so.1 when searching for libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libgcc_s.so.1 when searching for libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.2.1/../../../libgcc_s.so.1 when searching for libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 when searching for libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.2.1/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:92: librtmp.so.1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/worm/.cache/pacaur/lib32-rtmpdump/src/rtmpdump/librtmp'
make: *** [Makefile:76: librtmp/librtmp.a] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...
:: failed to build lib32-rtmpdump package(s)

using arch
>>
>>57222438
Put the filename in quotes.
See how it says
>Could Not Find D:\Games\Worms
and not
>Could Not Find D:\Games\Worms W.M.D.
?
>>
>>57222474
I've tired that
>>
>>57221511
>>57221269

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRUp09bXnDA
Okay I found the solution. You can just download and install an old version of the account manager to bypass the security updates kek.

I recommend subbing to this dude in case you ever need to break in to a found phone.
>>
>>57221753
Yeah a few hundred different brands will use the same chipset/module just in a different case/package. A lot of the time even the case/housing is completely identical except for the logo/branding.

Probe the hardware/lookup what name/Mfg it reports as with no drivers installed, or lookup the device/usb ID. Or just google a teardown/spec sheet of your device and make note of the chip used.
>>
File: powerboard.jpg (397KB, 500x2082px) Image search: [Google]
powerboard.jpg
397KB, 500x2082px
So I got a 30m Cat6E cable. Goes from one modem inside house to my own old linksys modem in caravan. Stops working suddenly two days ago, I fuck around with cables and modems, resetting them constantly, changing ports cables are in etc, then it suddenly works. Now it has stopped working again and I didn't change a single fucking thing I know it. Why this happen?

I literally just ran inside with my 30m cable and plugged it into the computer next to my modem and it works fucking fine, but as soon as I run the cable outside to plug into my own modem it doesn't work. Does anyone hve any ideas? I don't got the money to buy new anything, tried two different modems (exact same model though) and I'm seriously getting frustrated. Just want to lie down and fucking read. Please help I'm at my wits end here

pic unrelated just a powerboard i got
>>
so I guess 4chan got a new image host some time recently

images from i.4cdn.org load up fine but images from is.4chan.org load like shit. Is there any way I can make this not shit or does the new image host just suck?
>>
>>57222415
unfortunate

must be a console port. This shit would not be usable in something like CS:GO.
>>
>>57221900
Just make sure your disk controller/SATA ports are set to AHCI in the BIOS. Turn on S.M.A.R.T. if you see an option in there for it.
>>
>>57222529
Running standard cables outside is a good way to super shorten their life. Your cable's probably dying. Alternately check if there's anything that might be causing interference like florescent lighting.
>>
>>57222549
Scratch that, I can change it to any number except for 00. I tried 40 and it got better.
>>
>>57222584
I checked all that, had it running right behind a fridge where the compressor was at one point and that didn't really affect it at all even. The cable is about 6 months old maybe and only about 3m~ of it outside unexposed.
>>
I have a python script that is supposed to update a sqlite database.

It works if I run it manually. But the systemd task I created seems like it works, but does not actually update the database.

systemd script:

[Unit]
Description=Python instance for updating bordfinneren.no database
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=username
ExecStart=/home/username/myproject/bordupdater.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

This is the bash script that activates the python virtual environment and runs the python scheduler script.

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/username/myproject
source myprojectenv/bin/activate
python clock.py

Here is output from systemctl

● bordupdater.service - Python instance for updating database
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/bordupdater.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sun 2016-10-23 14:47:10 EDT; 1 day 2h ago
Main PID: 1363 (bordupdater.sh)
Tasks: 12
Memory: 27.9M
CPU: 2min 41.328s
CGroup: /system.slice/bordupdater.service
├─1363 /bin/bash /home/username/myproject/bordupdater.sh
└─1377 python clock.py

Oct 24 17:07:33 bonto bordupdater.sh[1363]: Added new reservations to database
Oct 24 17:07:33 bonto bordupdater.sh[1363]: Sleeping to avoid database conflict
Oct 24 17:07:33 bonto bordupdater.sh[1363]: Removed deleted reservations from database

^LIES

Am I doing something horribly dumb somewhere?
>>
File: photoshop.png (81KB, 1263x880px) Image search: [Google]
photoshop.png
81KB, 1263x880px
How can I fix this? When I use photoshop, all the menu text and layer label text is missing.
>>
>>57222584
But why would the 30m cable work fine once brought inside though? Once in the caravan I tried the 30m cable straight into my PC, laptop and 2 different modems, none of them worked, yet when I tried the 30m cable on a PC right next to the modem it worked fine. Could it be something to do with not being grounded inside the caravan? I've given myself electric shocks before by standing outside on the cement barefoot and touching the radiator while it was on...
>>
>>57222449
I'd do that if the monitor wasn't emitting very high pitched noise (coil whine maybe?) when not in use, doesn't matter if in standby or completely off but still plugged in.
>>
>>57221090
I don't know, just truncate the part of the number that's too big or small. Or drop all the numbers that don't fit the criteria.

Just request one byte if you want a value between 1 and 255. There are 8 bits in a byte, 8 bits can be arranged in around 255(actually 256) unique combinations.
>>
What's the best configuration for VLC 2.2.4?
>>
>>57222099
>user files/temp/swap/page to another drive
Why?
>>
I've been trying to install Windows NT for days.
Made the three boot floppies, but install would crash. I then made a floppy with the latest atapi.sys driver and that got me further in the install but it crashes when trying to load the keyboard drivers.
My question is
>What are the essential drivers that I need just to get me through the install and can I fit them on all on the one floppy I have left?
>>
>>57222580
Smart is in the bios as well, correct?
>>
Is getting a refurbished laptop worth it? Thinking about getting a refurbished Thinkpad.
>>
>>57223013
Yeah
>>
>>57219213
If I setup a platform for hosting wordpress sites using an Ubuntu server on digital ocean can I put cloud computing on my LinkedIn/resume?
>>
>>57221159
You might have to decompile it into an intermediate code or the original code it was compiled with first.

Some instructions/instruction set equivalents might not exist(probably don't exist) for both machines. It would have to work around that with extra shit that you would probably need the original code for. You would need to pull in/find all the extra stuff that was used to compile the code for the target architecture in the first place.

You're not talking about compiling down to, you're talking about decompiling then recompiling.

That code could have been compiled using one out of a few hundred different languages, all of which used different library's and shit. Some of those languages might not even fucking support compiling code for the architecture your are trying to port to.

It should be possible, but in some instances this theoretical compiler would basically be building an emulator for another architecture. It may only have to emulate some stuff and may optimism the rest, but at that point you might as well just use an emulator in the first place.
>>
I have an access point from my isp. One computer is using Ethernet over power. The other is using a wireless signal. Some reason the computer using a wireless connection losing its connection and gets back on when the Ethernet over power adapters are switched off.

Could it be the adapters itself alter the connection to the computer with the wireless connection, or is it more likely the computer with Ethernet is doing something with the connection like using the bandwidth?
>>
>>57221203
That compiler would have to emulate the instructions that it can't translate. Which would add a lot of overhead.
>>
How do I install this:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/karies/cling-all-in-one/master/clone.sh

I've ran the code in both Python and cmd, and nothing has downloaded. I've never downloaded from GIT, so I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>57222069
Seed some of those wikileaks files
>>
>>57223155

I've tried seeding torrents too, but it takes a while for them to even ramp up and start using up my bandwith. I need something that would work instantly.
>>
>>57219213

How do I download apps to my 6.0 android without using Google Play?

Every time I try to install the .apk file from downloads, it says "cannot open the file". I have ticked the third party download thing from my phone's settings.
>>
>>57221689
Hold down the windows key then press Pause/Break, click advanced, then click performance setting, then click on advanced, then virtual memory. You can control/set the page file from there.

You can set the disk controller/SATA ports to AHCI in the BIOS. You can get into the BIOS by pressing/holding down DEL/F1/F2 when you first turn your system on. It's a different key for different motherboard but you should see a splash screen when you boot up that tells you what key it is.
>>
>>57223195
Are you using a screen dimmer (like Twilight)? That may be the problem.
>>
>>57223199
>Pause/Break
What is that? Also sorry for being a complete noob. What should I set the page file to? I have 16GB of RAM.
>>
>>57223213
Twilight? The phone is completely new, I haven't installed anything besides the newest system updates.
>>
>>57223246
Use fdroid.
>>
I did a windows reinstall and for some reason everything seems smaller than before. What could it be?
>>
>>57223331
You need graphics driver
>>
>>57223341
Of course nigga. I got that already. I have setup my PC like it was before but for some reason it is smaller, I notice when going through the file explorer, and in browser as well.
>>
>>57221269
You can hold down vol up, vol down, and power while turning it on to get into recovery. You can do a factory reset from there. That might not bypass the hardlock(anti-theft).

Even if it only lets you flash signed images/files you can still overwrite everything with factory files. Flash the OS, bootloader, recover, etc. to stock. Everything. Unless it only lets you write a newer image, then you might be screwed.

Why don't you just log in to the account it's locked to? Did you steal that phone? Did someone steal it, then sell it to you. Or did someone sell it to you without realizing they have to log in once after they factory reset it. I factory reset my old nexus before I sold it and it wouldn't let you do anything past the welcome/new user screen until it was authorized/released using my account info. Good thing they check it before they bought it, I had no idea they started hard locking devices after factory resets.
>>
>>57221280
Set flash content to only run after clicking on it. Turn off javascript if you don't need it.

Buy more RAM or move your page file off of the SSD.
>>
>>57221345
Need to? No, but you know you want to.
>>
>>57223296
Is this something similar to google play store? But does not require login and is safe and more "spyfree" compared to google play?
>>
Why would anyone use their RTC in anything other than local time, and why is Linux so anal about this?
I mean, I get it if you're one to travel a lot to other countries with your laptop, but for a desktop computer I really see no reason for this.
Anyone care to enlighten me?
>>
>>57221490
TDP is just the max wattage it will pull under stock clocks at full load. If you are worried about temperatures look up the max/recommended safe temperature limit for the socket and the cores. I don't know what it is for a 6700k. If you go over that under full load/stress testing then you need better cooling.
>>
>>57223195

The file itself might be messed up. I'm guessing you download it from a notviruses.ru type site so that can happen. Have you tried installing anything else?
>>
As I understand, TunnelBear routes all your traffic through a specific port. After installing it, even when it's off, my internet feels laggier than it was on my ThinkPad x220. It's used but freshly factory reset as of a couple weeks ago, and i'm running on a 5.0 ghz band of wireless.

If I uninstall TunnelBear regularly, should I have any problems with my 'default port'? Will my machine work as if it didn't have TunnelBear on it? I just bought this laptop and am concerned why it's already having issues with video streaming and light gaming.
>>
>>57223479
Yeah, it's like Google play, but only allows open source apps. It's safe and doesn't require login, but as a compromise it doesn't have most stuff you would find on Google play.
>>
>>57219265
A HDMI switcher
>>
>The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2.
what the fuck do I do? I have endless bluescreens, they happen at completely random times with zero patterns
How the fuck is asus even slightly recommended when they're so fucking shit? Their bullshit drivers aren't even uninstallable, they come back after every boot
>>
>>57221607
It's a local page that's hosted in the browser. Less of a page and more of a menu actually, it just presents itself as a page for UI reasons. All it does is access bookmarks. It doesn't even give the next page a referral/last URL value. It doesn't even have a qualified URL. It does not need to be run in incognito. Just right click on the bookmarks in there and open them in an incognito window/tab.
>>
>>57223564
Thank you very much for this, I was already banging my head into a wall for making the mistake of buying an android.
>>
>>57223224
It's a key on your keyboard. Look around the top of the numpad/to the right of the F1-F12 keys.

You can turn it off to try and save SSD writes if you/your system doesn't regularly try to use more RAM than you actually have. Or just move it to a different drive.

When the system runs out of ram it starts using space on the hard drive as RAM, which is slow as fuck.
>>
>>57223665
Oh okay, well I figured it was that, tried pressing it already but nothing.

it's the media key right?
>>
>>57219770
6300, 6500, or 6600k. Buying a 6400 is an incredible waste of money.
>>
>>57221765
Put the RAM back into the slots it was originally in. If it's still boot looping after that then reset the BIOS/CMOS. If you can't find the jumper that clears the CMOS just pull the battery(flat circular watch battery) out and let it sit for a few minutes with the power cord also unplugged. Then pop the battery back in and plug it in.
>>
>>57221789
When SSD performance degrades, for example when you use them on a RAID controller that does not support SSD's, they slowly lose speed/throughput over time. They don't stutter. I think it's a software problem. What else is accessing that disk? Is some process spiking CPU usage in the background randomly?
>>
My Nexus 4 randomly stopped charging and won't turn on. Wat do?
>>
>>57219770
I play all those games easily with an i3-4160
>>
>>57219855
Cyberpunk is dead
>>
>>57219770
>>57223847
Nevermind, different socket of course.
>>57223831
Remove lint from charging port, if no lint then sent for repair?
>>
>>57223863
No lint. I was just using it yesterday to pull files over adb since my phone was stuck in a bootloop. I guess it died overnight and now that I went to go charge it it won't turn on.
>>
>>57223887
Won't turn on or charge*
>>
I have a Q.

Using Ubuntu live session with a USB stick, mounted my winblows HDD. Cant replace the damaged .sys-file that gives me BSOD.

What to do smart anons?
>>
>>57221909
What ever you read the "hex values" with did some formatting before or after you read/copied it. Or what ever you used to paste them into a black file formatted it incorrectly.

You can't just attempt to run part of the already compiled bin.

If you're very smart or lucky you might be able to modify a few values in it. Your screwed if the whole thing checks its self for integrity before running.

Find out what language it was compiled with and look for a dissembler/decompiler.
>>
>>57219213
how do I webm in Edge?
>>
>>57221943
Brightness, contrast, and black levels.
>>
>tfw you have to sacrifice 68 days of uptime because of Dirty CoW
Why did you fail so hard, Linus?
>>
What do you use to read your mongolian wood carvings?
>>
>>57222069
Upload some big files to google drive, then delete them. Rinse repeat. Write a script to do it automatically.

Or do it the right way and cap it to like 2kbps with your router. QOS
>>
I have one gtx 1060, which has 1 hdmi port. 3 display ports, and one dvi port. I want to hook up two tvs for moniters. But the both only have hdmi ports.

How do I solve this?
>>
>>57222172
You could just set handbrake to save the files directly to the NAS. Fuck it have Brasero write the ISO's to it as well. It's not like a disk drive will max out the connection to the NAS. And I know you don't have the GPU power to encode files fast enough to max out the connection to it.
>>
File: 1399319813532.jpg (1MB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1399319813532.jpg
1MB, 2400x2400px
A couple android questions.

1. Is there a list of apps that check safetynet and/or a list of what causes safetynet to fail right now?

2. I bought a nexus 6p and I don't have a way to connect it to my computer.

Is there a way to unlock the bootloader with no usb cable, or a way to connect to ADB using wireless?

Thank you for your time, enjoy this core memory
>>
>>57222177
Is that interlaced? Why are you using a setting designed for old school TV's?
>>
>>57222421
Sure if you change the direction of the arrow between the PC and the turn table, and move the arrow currently in between the lepai and turntable to in between the lepai and the PC.

Unless the turntable actually supports audio input from USB.
>>
>>57223983

but router changes require you to apply them, wait 30 sec while being internetless after which you get the desired effect

I'm pretty much looking for an effective lagswitch
>>
File: 12.jpg (184KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
184KB, 1080x1349px
>>57223906

Bumperino
>>
>>57219213
>hey anon can u fix my pc
>whats wrong with it
>don't know
>drop it off i'll have a look
basically its an alienware desktop, seems to be psu is fucked
pulled the psu out and it has no fan space top or bottom in the case, just front to back.
also the psu has a fucking yellow refurbished sticker on it.

so the question is should i just throw it in the trash now or give it back to him
>>
>>57222764
Just buy a relay, cheap part less then a dollar. Pull 5v from USB to activate the relay, and have it trigger the 120v to turn the monitor on/off. Even easier if you can hook it up to the DC part after the monitors power adapter.
>>
>>57224107
Girl would be a 10 if here eyes would've been aligned better...
>>
>>57222454
A fuck load of dependencies.
>>
>>57219213
Anyone here /t420/? I've been trying to write to an sd card through the reader but it is taking forever. Anyone else ever have this issue?
>>
When you make a index for a table in a database do you have to do anything special to use it? Or will the database automatically search search using the created index?
>>
>>57222710
The cable loses less signal when coiled up. It also picks up less interference when coiled up. Inductance/capacitance
>>
>>57224015
the transfer rate is ~2.5MB/s, from my laptop to the NAS so it might take a while, kek. I'll try it though. thanks.
>GPU power
I started to use Intel QSV. It was a mistake with my sandybridge.
>>
>>57223510
System time in GMT is standard for most OSes other than Windows, avoids any fuckery when moving bewteen timezones, or when daylight savings happens.
>>
I want to install Linux as a secondary OS to my Windows 10 game machine.

When I attempt to load it my monitor just says "out of range".

I googled, and I still don't know the answer. Most of the posts tell you to go into terminal and do "X" but I don't know how the fuck I'm supposed to do that when my monitor doesn't even recognize the signal. Also booting into the recovery mode (that is included in Ubuntu and Mint) just gives me the same message.
>>
>>57224439
I've never heard of this problem before.
Do you have photos or screenshots, or a more detailed description?
>>
>>57224145
but the dependencies (listed here https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lib32-rtmpdump/) I already have so that can't be the case
>>
second year cs student here
what is the best european country that pays well and u can get along just with english so i move there after I get diploma?
>>
>>57224453
I mean, I can't take a picture of it. I mean I suppose I could instagram kid it and use my cell phone.

Basically the display on the monitor (unknown model, an Asus from like 8 years ago but its still good) where it will show your menu for contrast/brightness adjust or your input just constantly displays an "out of range" message.

I've never seen that on this monitor before.

It seems to be a common enough issue, and people have fixed it, but if I can't GET to terminal I don't know how.
>>
>>57224487
do you have another computer? If so, you can ssh into the live CD session.
>>
>>57224461
sverige is shit now so probably noreg
>>
>>57224502
bruh

Yeah I have a blank laptop I play on, how do you do this?
>>
Does Debian need non-free repos for using ethernet on Realtek LAN cards? I saw there's a r8169 kernel module for it but just wondering
>>
>>57223510
In addition to what >>57224413 said, Windows' keeping the system clock in local time is a historical accident. It only does that because that's the way DOS did it long ago. This never got changed because it might break things. And an important chunk of the Windows customer base is businesses running bespoke applications from the 80s to which the source code has long since been lost, and without which the business goes bankrupt.
>>
The motherboard (not CPU) fan got choked with dust and now sounds like a damn jet engine, and even after I cleaned it (read:blasted it with compressed air and watched dust fly all over the place) it sounded the same. Speedfan said it was at 0RPM, is it basically fucked?
>>
Best Z77 1155 ATX mobo replacement I can get from Amazon that is not GigaShit? Because Anon asked before, I have been burned by a combo of bad build quality and bad customer service from GigaShit so I prefer not to support them. If there they happen to be the best viable option I would still consider it.
>>
File: Capture.png (534KB, 719x435px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
534KB, 719x435px
I'm not good at shopping for cell phones and I have a tight budget. (<100) I need a nice phone that's gonna be compatible with google cardboard and is le cheepo
>>
What's the best cloning software?
>>
>>57224529
I don't know for sure, but usually wired ethernet Just Werks(tm). Try it and see, it'll probably be fine.

Wireless cards pretty commonly need non-free firmware packages, though.
>>
>>57224517
Actually, first off I want you to try something else.
once the live cd is booted, press ctrl+alt+f2. See if anything comes up.
If not:
This is going to take a bit of finagling, welcome to linux.

Download an ssh client for your laptop. PuTTY is standard
What is the name of the linux distro you're trying to install?
>>
Does running a laptop in 'High Performance' settings shorten the laptop's lifespan? I can hear the processor spin up when on higher settings, so i'm not sure if I should be afraid to fry it.
>>
File: fw1vI.jpg (22KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
fw1vI.jpg
22KB, 500x285px
>>57224701
> I can hear the processor spin up
>>
>>57224721
Sorry, i'm pretty high. It's the fans.
>>
>>57219463
Just use Ubuntu.
>>
What is some essential /g/ literature?
>>
So my PC hasn't been able to recognize my two RAM sticks since ever, but for some reason when I booted it up after messing with the BIOS voltage settings for my CPU and DRAM it was recognized. My PC ran noticeable better but after starting up H1Z1 it promptly crashed when I was about to be put into a game.

My BIOS recognizes all 8gb, Windows sets 4gb to "hardware reserved" and uses the other 4gb. My PC won't boot when I put one RAM stick into the last 2 slots, but the first 2 work. The BIOS still recognizes all the RAM no matter which slot it's in, but will only boot to it if one is in the first two. Updated the BIOS, still nothing.

That was just a fluke, right?
>>
File: 1394040213649.png (272KB, 682x530px) Image search: [Google]
1394040213649.png
272KB, 682x530px
I am absolutely livid.

Long story short, we were having faster internet installed in our house, guy shows up, leaves for 3 hours to find a ladder, then comes back. I had to leave to go to my college classes, so the rest of my family were the only ones here.

The dude closed ALL OF MY TABS. Then opened a new window, and closed that.

Is there anything I can do? I didn't keep backups because I'm the only person that ever touches this computer. It took me months to accumulate all those tabs.
>>
>>57224929
Forgot to add, my browser is firefox.
>>
>>57224929
Yeah, use bookmarks next time, dumbass. That's what they're there for, so you don't have to keep a thousand tabs open.
>>
>>57224955
I had actually pruned them somewhat recently, down from 300 to 70. But those 70 were the ones that were actually important to me.

Tabs are easier to manage than bookmarks.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (18KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
18KB, 409x393px
>>57224929

> letting other people use your computer
>>
>>57225001
Not willingly. I wasn't there. I don't know why he didn't use one of the other 3 computers in the house. it's not like you need to use a desktop just to check if the internet is working.
>>
I'm trying to receive files from my old chromebook's hard drive. I'm trying to open them on windows 10 but I'm getting a file system not recognized error. I know why it's telling me this, but how do I get them? pls help
>>
How do I change my default search engine in palemoon? I fucking hate duckduckgo so much, I just want to use searx
>>
what are some good ways to protect privacy online? I don't do illegal things but I don't like that sites can use analytics software and view my user agent and IP address and store cookies on my computer, or that the websites I visit are cached and stored in my history and logged in my router and logged by my ISP and logged by the websites themselves, or that my phone has a complete history of the locations I've visited, or that links in mail clients and stuff use path information for marketing campaigns and engagement statistics, or basically everything else I encounter on a daily basis
>>
File: shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.png (8KB, 601x197px) Image search: [Google]
shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.png
8KB, 601x197px
http://pastebin.com/4FLqfbTn

Trying to get the output to display a single number from the array that is chosen with the input of intStartingMonth

ie putting in month 2 would display 28

right now it is displaying every field of the array
>>
>>57223601
>Just right click on the bookmarks in there and open them in an incognito window/tab.

that is far less convenient than ctrl clicking to open in a new tab... which will open it in a normal tab, not an incognito tab.

So it's impossible, then? Thank you for the reply, though. Cheers.
>>
File: 1464566760700.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464566760700.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
So recently I've been getting hard reset crashes (pc instantly powers down then resets, no warning signs whatsoever, no BSOD) when playing games, or even occasionally simply doing standard web browsing and video playback.

CPU and GPU temps are fine across the board.

am I correct in assuming my PSU is dying? Anything else that could be causing this sort of crash?
>>
How do I make a video file size smaller and keep the resolution? Can I define the output file size?
>>
>>57225339
You can encode it at a lower bitrate and the same resolution, but you will still lose quality.
>>
File: IMG_20161025_045540.jpg (4MB, 3560x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161025_045540.jpg
4MB, 3560x2992px
I took my pc apart and cleaned it for the first time in years.

Now the motherfucker won't turn on. I've quadruple checked everything but it will not make a sound.

So I'm pretty sure I broke something. The most likely candidate is the mobo right? It's also been through a lot.
>>
I am building a $1400 computer. Is it worth $210 for a UPS?

Not a lot of power outages here.
>>
Is there any way I can get my keyboard to work on a TI Nspire? I have a mini usb to mini usb cable, but it doesn't read the peripheral.
>>
>>57225351
Check the front panel connectors (those little bastard pins that usually plug into the bottom left of your mobo). If that's not it, reseat your 24-pin and make sure that your fan cables are sorted.
>>
>>57225351
Plug the graphics card in you fucktard.
>>
>>57225473
NIGGA HE DIDNT PLUG IN THE 6 PIN HOW IS EVERYONE BLIND? IS THIS A TROLL? I'M SO TRIGGERED.
>>
>>57225493
A GPU won't keep it from booting though...
>>
/fa/ here can someone help me find a large format scanner so that I can scan pictures from oversized magazines
budget isn't an issue but sub-$1000 would be ideal
I didn't read your sticky and I sorta assume this thread gives me a free pass from that =)
>>
>>57225511
Uh yes, it fucking will. It depends on the board. And I'm guessing his meaning of boot is no signal to the monitor. Hmm wonder what would cause that? But the fact that he claims he checked everything and the GPU is unplugged probably means he forgot it.
>>
>>57225521
>The motherfucker won't turn on

Pretty sure that you can get a computer the turn on without a gpu on almost all modern boards
>>
File: 0.png (11KB, 304x209px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
11KB, 304x209px
Left is a 4chan thread. Right is a YouTube video.

Am I missing something here? Why is it so high? Sometimes it goes to over 100. I assume it's not blocking 100 ads because that's ridiculous. What exactly is being blocked and why is it happening so much?
>>
File: keyboard.webm (222KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
keyboard.webm
222KB, 800x600px
What kind of keyboard is that and where can I get one?
>>
>>57225585
Maybe an ergodox if you want to have it mechanical
>>
I need antivirus with real time protection, really good virus databases, quarantines and everything, the whole package, for free, and without fucking ads. I've been using clamwin but I've been paranoid lately of shit slipping through. I fucking hated the popups with avast and avira, too.
>>
I need a discord bot that supportss nsfw gif/image searching through a source other than rule34 and e621
Discoid can do reddit but it's fucky with gifs
Anyone know of anything to help support my porn channel on discord?
>>
>>57225350
Thanks, bitrate is the key!
Using something like this
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -b:v 2200k -b:a 200k output.mkv
>>
>>57219213
My nvidia-drivers somehow broke on my Ubuntu box.

>Repeated attempts at "sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*" and "sudo apt-get install nvidia-367" did nothing and it continued to fail
>Installing drivers from within Ubuntu's software installer fixed everything

What happened?
>>
File: 1.jpg (113KB, 450x873px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
113KB, 450x873px
>>57225649
Heh, righteous man! I too am paranoid, friend. What is it that you are paranoid about friend? Give as detailed of a description as you can. Do you have the good stuff? I sure would love some of that """cheese pizza""" send it over to me at agent#[email protected]. Thank you friend. I sure do enjoy the pizza, wink wink.
>>
>>57225730
I'm paranoid of viruses, not getting caught breaking the law. I'm not a goddamn pedophile, I'm just addicted to hentai.
>>
>>57225618
Neat. Thanks.
>>
>>57225493
I only put the GPU in for the picture. I was trying to troubleshoot it with minimal components plugged in. Shouldn't matter anyway.
>>
>>57220174
No. Stick with KMS. I personally downloaded it from a page called intercambiosvirtuales. It's a Spanish page but I really trust it. You can also try and look for the cracker's team page and dowload it from there. I did that with several programs.
>>
How does core temp display updating system tray icons? Trying to make a system tray application that will show the current ping without having to hover over the icon every time.
>>
How do I know what kind of UPS I need for my computer?

It uses an 850w power supply, and I know it doesn't use the full 850w when it's powered on.

I just want it on long enough to turn my stuff off safely when there's a thunderstorm that knocks my power out.

Will one of the smaller ones be OK for that or do I need to drop 100-200 on a decent one?
>>
>>57225351
Ok boys. It was the case wires. I just managed to turn it on manually poking at the system header pins with a screwdriver.

The way you put the power switch pins on the mobo, you can't really fuck that up as long as you know the right pins right? Which way it is shouldn't matter? And anyway I tried it already both ways multiple times.

So something is fucked up with the wire or the connector? Maybe the mobo pins are slightly twisted, look into that maybe?

Or maybe I just power up with a screwdriver for the next few years.
>>
How do i make my linux mint mate look like all of your desktop posts
>>
>>57223966
Pirated moon reader pro on my phone
>>
>>57222055
i do it all the time

obv no one cares

ask if you have data caps or something
>>
>>57224929
>restore tabs
Probably doesn't work for all your gay nigger tab bullshit
>>
>>57225117
>what are some good ways to protect privacy online?
Encryption
>>
>>57225520
>/fa/
>mannerisms
What the fuck
>>
File: naJ4Fq7.gif (524KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
naJ4Fq7.gif
524KB, 130x130px
i have a little netgear USB adapter for wifi, but it can't pick up a 5ghz network connection an iPhone SE can

what's my best option for wifi connection? something internal would be p dope

i know the adapter is supposed to pick up the 5ghz signal because i can get it using the adapter on my laptop in the other room
>>
>>57226001
Mine probably looks like yours if you got xfce mint
>>
>>57226001
install i3, download someone's dotfiles
>>
>>57226316
>linux mint mate
>>
>>57226338
Thank you.
>>
My new mouse is firing off double clicks when I click once pretty frequently all of a sudden. What do.
>>
What keyword would I use to find one of those disc drives that sucks in the discs instead of having a tray that comes out
>>
>>57226849
slot loading
>>
>>57226925
Thank you!
>>
I need 4k monitor suggestions, I have been out of the loop on who's making quality monitors. Last I heard Dell was making quality stuff.
>>
Why do I sit around all day while my life falls apart. I feel utterly apathetic as though I wait for death.
>>
>>57224929
Should've used Session Manager.
>>
>>57227077
New
>>57227077
Thread
>>57227077
>>
>>57226990
Dell monitor are pretty solid
You'll want to look into TN vs IPS and freesync vs gsync
>>
>>57224929
just roll back to the last session in Session Manager

no self-respecting tab hoarder would not be using it, after all
>>
>>57224929
>didn't lock your workstation
asking for trouble right there
>>
>>57225684
you are very new to this, aren't you?
Thread posts: 353
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.