[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 39

File: image.jpg (183KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183KB, 1280x960px
Previously: >>57102207

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>
I'm setting up Ubuntu. How many partitions are recommended for it? Just a swap partition and everything else together?

Is "double your ram" still the rule of thumb for swap partition sizes?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-10-16_19-31-02.png (299KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-10-16_19-31-02.png
299KB, 1680x1050px
just installed debian and i love it!
>>
>>57108947
2nd for fedora
>>
>>57108950
why not gnome

you could have been comfy
>>
File: 1446110606622.jpg (1MB, 1592x796px) Image search: [Google]
1446110606622.jpg
1MB, 1592x796px
>>57108901
>image.jpg
>>
>>57109014
xfce is pretty comfy.
>>
What has happened to Linux lately?

>Install Debian Stretch
>installing nvidia-driver installs a bunch of packages, but after rebooting I'm still in 640x480 because the install didn't actually work

>Install Antergos
>After rebooting, get a couple Nouveau errors and it locks up

Debian used to be my go-to distro, and it has been turning into shit for the past several months. For years, Debian Testing was stable enough to be used as a desktop distro but now it's being held together with duct tape. Debian Stable won't work because they won't backport the latest Nvidia proprietary driver so support stops just before Maxwell cards. My card is a GTX 960, which is almost 2 years old now, so you'd think this shit would be sorted by now.

The only distro that actually works in my system now is Mint, which I don't really care for since it's too bloated.
>>
>>57109086
install gentoo
>>
>>57109086
>I'm still in 640x480 because the install didn't actually work
Change resolution?
>>
>>57109047
That image is a treasure trove of early 2000's nostalgia.

>Blockbuster Video
>early 2000's hair style
>Hollister short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt
>those fucking mom jeans
>low end Dell laptop from the early 2000's
>cheap flip phone
>that disgusting furniture pattern
>thin-rimmed eyeglasses

Come on, it's literally impossible to pack more early 2000's nostalgia in one pic.
>>
>>57109136
I can't go into full 1080p because it's using some generic display driver. Nouveau hates Maxwell cards so I can't even use that.
>>
How do I remove the big X button when I press the super key in gnome. Ideally, I would like to change which side it's on or make it disappear. I know I can change the side it appears on by moving by titlebar buttons to the left and it will appear on that side but I don't want to move my title bar buttons. Is there any way to achieve this. I'm on fedora btw.
>>
File: amanda-wenk-196.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amanda-wenk-196.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>>57109158
>>
>>57108945
I like to have /home in a different partition.
>>
I got a new laptop and I'm going to run Windows 10, I kind of need to because I need to run Unity3D and it's not working well in linux. So I'm looking to have a VM run two things; spacemacs with gui and a nix terminal (the options in windows kind of suck). I don't really need much else, I don't mind running the rest of my tools in windows.

What do you guys recommend for a vm tool? Especially something that can provide decent 3D acceleration and can merge seemlessly into windows, such as having a window mode where I can treat a terminal window and spacemacs as two separate windows. Also, what's a recommended distro for this purpose? I'm not liking ubuntu because a.) I have to compile emacs to get v25+ b.) I've read stuff about ubuntu not being great to virtualize. Given that I need such a simple environment, what's a good distro?
>>
just got a fresh install of arch on my laptop
What de should I go?
I'm too dumb for wm?
>>
>>57109612
Also I prefer a light de since its an old laptop
>>
>>57109612
If you got arch installed, i don't see why you're too dumb to use a wm. I personally love i3 and it's not hard to use, especially if you're familiar with modal editing with vim. I've also heard good things about AwesomeWM.
>>
File: ginnutshell.jpg (314KB, 1795x709px) Image search: [Google]
ginnutshell.jpg
314KB, 1795x709px
>>57109298
>still waitig actual sexual images from that trap
A Man da wenk

somehow I refuse to delete that folder that probably was from >>>/rs/
>>
>>57109636
I'm honestly just too lazy
If I install a de, I should be able to switch to just wm later right?
>>
>>57108901
>>57109298
>>57109669
>tfw can no longer find her gallery rar hosted anywhere. TPB has it but no seeds.
>>
>>57109086
Slackwar64
>>
>>57109687
Technically yes, however, what's the difference between installing a vm and a dm? Do you just want plug and play kind of experience?
>>
>>57108901
>emacs
why is the GNU emacs tutorial so long?
How many fucking Ctrl key combos can there possibly be?
>>
>>57109086
I'm using a meme 970 as an external card hooked up to a monitor on my Thinkpad and I don't have any problems.
Try using smxi.
>>
>>57109689
>her gallery rar
is on the old "nas" sorry

this is something:
http://www.lazygirls.info/Amanda_Wenk/amanda_wenk_nvtjMlDh
>>
>>57109746
'C-h b' for the bindings in the current mode
>>
>>57109746
Check out spacemacs, it's an emacs configuration that focuses on evil (vim keybindings) and way saner key combos and whatnot
>>
>>57109810
http://s8.photobucket.com/user/javimoya/library/pics?sort=3&page=1
>>
>>57109810
yeah, there's lots on imagefap but I'll have to go through and save individually like its early 2000s again
>>
File: maximum_over_memes.png (77KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
maximum_over_memes.png
77KB, 1366x768px
I was just in the last thread asking about WMs and got recommended i3

thanks, this is the best use of 1366x768 I can get
pretty fucking comfy as well

But I know it has a good deal of work that needs to be done
anyone have any pointers?
>>
>>57109861
I could give you a mediafire password protected .rar like is 2006

>lrn2curk also

>>57109857
that photovucket has 3 folders
>>
/g/ I have both a .odt and a .abw document I can't open

What's a non-bloaty program to open both those kinds of files?
>>
>>57110018
dont you like libreoffice?
>>
>>57110049
New to linux and never installed it.
Try that?
Isn't there also openoffice,
any difference?
>>
>>57110077
yeah libreoffice is cool. it works with the odt. Abw im not sure, abiword maybe.

Libreoffice is a fork of openoffice becuase it is tainted by oracle now.
>>
>>57110115
alright then
>>
What distro will be best for a media server in my living room?

I want something really stable that I can just get up and running, and don't want to mess with a lot. Leaning towards Debian or possibly Centos, but open to suggestions.
>>
>>57110165
kodi
>>
>>57110176
???
>>
File: 1472929608009.gif (499KB, 350x198px) Image search: [Google]
1472929608009.gif
499KB, 350x198px
>>57109669
dat pic, my god, pure horror
>>
File: 1476057780062.gif (922KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1476057780062.gif
922KB, 500x280px
>>57109669
>pic
>>
I figured this would be the best place to ask after extensive googling. My headphones don't seem to be recognized by Ubuntu by default, reading as a line out rather than an output. I can't tell if it's because of the sound blaster card I have, or if it's something else.
>>
>>57109086
I have the same card and nvidia X only runs smoothly on Slackware. Literally anything else has tearing issues.
>>
>>57110267
do you use alsa?
alsamixer and umute perhaps.

also try other jacks.
>>
I installed raspbian and I typed
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The shit is downloading off of their archives at less than a kb/s
Are their servers really that fucking bad, or is there something I'm doing wrong?
>>
>>57110363
Yes I'm currently using alsa.
It doesn't seem to be helping, I've been trying the only other jack, but the same results, no audio through headphones, only external speakers.
>>
Why don't Arch users simply use Void instead? Do they really like the systemdick so much?
>>
Hey guys, I mainly browse /lgbt/ and /fa/ but I've been trying to broaden my horizons and look at other boards like this one

So what is Linux, is it just some kind of software that makes a PC's desktop look like a Macintosh? I'm super interested bc I LOVE the way Mac's look but can only afford a PC

I know it's free, and that's cool. I might want to install it because some of these Macintosh style desktops, although the text doesn't look very good, are very fashion forward and I like that
>>
>>57110438
Not an Arch user, but the AUR sounds like a very appealing feature to many people

>>57110474
There is a 99% chance this is bait, but try elementary linux /fa/ggot
>>
>>57110474
>So what is Linux
an operating system
>is it just some kind of software that makes a PC's desktop look like a Macintosh?
no, it's not windows software, it runs /instead/ of windows

if looks the main reason you're interested, you're going to be very confused/disappointed
>>
>>57110474
>>57110561
oh yea, it's worth noting that you can run Mac OS on non-apple PCs, though it can be a little involved and won't work on absolutely every machine

this is outside of the scope of this thread though, mac os has nothing to do with linux
>>
>>57110474
If this isn't pasta, now it is.
>>
>>57110474
Linux is a kernel, mostly used with the GNU operating system. https://www.gnu.org/
>>
>>57110474
linux isn't free software, it's just gratis
>>
Hey guys. I'm having some troubles understanding systemd's user and system instances/modes. It all started because I wanted to create a service of my own.

After reading a couple of guides and manpages, I now know systemd as a service manager can run as system mode (PID 1, init replacement) or user mode. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04, which uses systemd. To my understanding, that means systemd is running in a system instance.

Most system administrator guides teach you about the usual commands:
# systemctl start, stop, etc... foo.service
, and according to RHEL's guide, in order to create a custom unit, you have to create a .service file inside the
/etc/systemd/system
. This directory is full of all of my services. The systemd.unit manpage says there's another load path when running in user mode:
/etc/systemd/user
, which is empty in my system.

Now, I just discovered you can add a --user flag when using
systemctl
to start a service, and it won't require you to be root. The service I started was syncthing. Here's where I'm confused: syncthing's unit file is listed inside the [/etc/systemd/system] dir, but I was able to run it using --user. How come?

If I were to create my own service, where should I place the .service file then?
>>
>>57110718
I also just found out trying the same --user flag with a different service, say postgresql, doesn't work. stderr says: Failed to start postgresql.service: Unit postgresql.service not found.

I wish there was a much more comprehensive systemd guide, this is getting more confusing the more I look into it.
>>
how to install gentoo?
>>
File: 1476061944403.gif (3MB, 256x199px) Image search: [Google]
1476061944403.gif
3MB, 256x199px
>>57110874
It's called reading the Gentoo Handbook
But, if that's too long for you

www.tecmint.com/gentoo-linux-installation-guide/
>>
>>57110718
>>57110838

systemd runs as a system instance (systemd --system) at startup, to initiate the system.

There is a separate systemd instance that runs as user (systemd --user), which handles services per user, once they log in.

System units go indeed in /etc/systemd/system, while user units can go in a variety of directories, including /etc/systemd/user.

The reason why syncthing works using the --user flag (that is, running syncthing for you only) is because syncthing provides both a unit inside ~/.config and /etc/systemd/system.

References:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Writing_unit_files

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User#How_it_works

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/autostart.html
>>
Ubuntu isn't using SSL where they list the checksums for their ISOs. So I thought, just to be thorough and safe, I'd follow the full verification instructions with all that stuff about keys and gpg files (ubuntu.com/download/how-to-verify). I don't really understand how that stuff works and usually just get the checksum from the webpage, but I thought if I followed the instructions then I'd have a reasonable assurance that the ISO was valid.

Then I noticed that gpg is saying "no ultimately trusted keys found". The instructions have the same result, saying "GPG is only validating the integrity of the given file". Then what's the point of messing with the key to begin with? Why can't this be as easy as HTTPS?

What do I do now? Is there anyway to truly verify that I didn't get a malicious ISO? Just keep my eyes peeled for news about Ubuntu's site getting hijacked like Mint's? Pray that no one's doing a MITM attack on me?
>>
>>57111688
You use the key you obtained to verify the checksum file you downloaded (along with the signature .gpg file). If it has a good signature, you then proceed to open the file, read the shasum and compare it with your .iso.

>Then I noticed that gpg is saying "no ultimately trusted keys found".

The GPG keychain has a feature where you assign a trust level to your keys. The last of those levels is the ultimate level. This feature is available to conform a web of trust. It just means you haven't assigned a ultimate trust level to any of your keys.

My guess is that you haven't got the Ubuntu signing keys. Run this command to import their keys:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys FBB75451 EFE21092
>>
>>57111849
I believe I imported the keys correctly. I'm asking how I can be sure that it's really their key and not modified by a MITM attack.
>>
I think I've run into a bug with XFCE. can someone conform?
Try opening the file in this link
http://hastebin.com/qonakahumu.pl
The glyph in file name causes the panel to crash with error
xfce4-panel: cairo-scaled-font.c:459: _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy: Assertion `!scaled_font->cache_frozen' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
>>
>>57111904
You check their fingerprints. I believe the VerifyISO page is protected by https, so I you copied and pasted the command from there you can rest assure it's their keys.

Besides, fingerprints are very difficult to forge, and by indicating gpg which keyserver to use (ubuntu's), there really isn't much risk.
>>
>>57111943
>I you copied

Sorry, I meant 'if you copied'.
>>
File: 1473821034575.png (150KB, 304x368px) Image search: [Google]
1473821034575.png
150KB, 304x368px
How can I map accentuation shortcuts? I use a keyboard with an average US layout.
How can I input characters such as éèëêē à üûùū îïī öōô ç œ and do on?

I can change the layout to emulate the one of foreign keyboards but it is fucking my touchtyping skills.

This is for writing course materials and slides. I am inserting the accents manually with latex but it's taking hours.

I also type them without accents and correct them afterwards but I often let slide mistakes and get interrupted by a smug little fucker about "Siiir, its 'à' not 'a' cause [...]".
>>
>>57112076
Use the US English international layout (Windows and Linux). You use right alt combinations to insert accents and other special symbols.
>>
>>57112076
I set right alt to be a compose key.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/358/how-can-i-type-accentuated-characters-like-%c3%ab/368#368
>>
>>57108901
She's so cuuuuuute
>>
>>57112122
>>57112130
Thank you. I'll look how to set this up.
>>
>>57108901
  ~ man 4chan
Install /g/entoo
>>
>>57109612

>too dumb for a window manager
Good luck using a computer then. How are you posting this now?

>installs an operating system but doesn't know what to do next
Sign that you don't need it. Also a sign that you're an actual retard.
>>
>>57111939
Anyone?
>>
When writing a function / alias in bash do I have to follow certain indentation style?
>>
>foot stool right there
>uses table

Surely I'm not the only one annoyed as fuck by this.
>>
How do I determine the right "bs" when using dd? When copying ISO images to flash drives for example, how do I know what the "correct" one is? Is there a correct one and how would they affect the outcome?
>>
>>57112724

Why would there be? Test it, if it works then it's good.
>>
>>57112831

Never mind, apparently there's no such thing as "ideal".
>>
>>57112670
You can use rsync to copy your setup to an empty partition. You have to skip certain directories, though. Google that.

If you then edit grub and fstab with the new partition UUID (or device name), you should be able to boot it right up.
>>
I just tried Unity 8 with Mir on the latest Ubuntu.
How come it feels so much snappier than my current setup? Not just Unity8 wit Mir, but also GNOME on Wayland felt significantly more responsive and smoother (visually too). My hardware from 2007 had no issues with stuff it usually struggled with (browsing the web for example).

Unity 8 in its current state is horrible for me though. It literally feels like a smartphone UI on my big computer screen. There's even a prominent switch to turn off "Desktop Mode".
I also couldn't install any software from Ubuntu's repositories. Why does using the Unity 8 session prevent that?
>>
>>57109086
>install debian stretch
why would you alpha test the installer? You install stable and then upgrade.
Sid works without problems for me.
>>
>>57111939
My sides.
>>
>>57112831
Write to the block device using dd with various different block sizes, see which is faster, done.
>>
Hi. Could you advice me an os level sandbox without hw virt
>>
I'm trying to write a function.
What's the difference between " " and ' '?
Considering the variables?
When using the command, it is advised to use ' ', but in the function /g/ says to use " "
Why is that?
>>
>>57109309
Why? Literally no effect if it's all on the same hard drive.
>>
is there any football manager crack on linux
>>
>>57113431
I'd kill to have that body in his age.
>>
I switched WMs at recently (from Unity to i3). I'm forced to develop with Eclipse and so far it's just been werking, but since switching I can't debug properly:
>set breakpoint
>run program
>reaches breakpoint
>program terminates with error "cannot connect to X server"
Any ideas? I searx.me'd it and only found people trying to debug remotely having problems with X forwarding; that shouldn't apply when I'm debugging locally, right?
>>
>>57113488

There aren't proper cracks which keep up with version updates for Windows, so I doubt there's a Linux version.
>>
>>57113726
at work*
>>
>>57113568
would you also excercise in a responsible manner every day and go outside a lot?
>>
>>57113761
>exercise in a responsible manner every day
I have bad knee, I can't go up the stairs without using the rails.
But I walk a lot, and spend most of my job standing and walking.
>go outside a lot
Does commuting 50 Km to work count?
>>
>>57114240
Stop making excuses for yourself you sad cunt.
>>
>>57113431
Double quotes preserve things like spaces and punctuation, while still replacing variables.

Single quotes won't replace anything, so it's safer, but you lose variables.

assuming you're talking about bash
>>
>>57114289
>Stop making excuses
What excuse?
I have shattered knee cap, only cure is joint replacement surgery.
And I can't afford it, and I'm only 25.
>>
>>57114319
Yes, I'm talking about bash.
You mean if I make a function like this
function (foo) {
youtube-dl '$1'
}

$1 will be passed as the URL?
SoI have to use ' '
>>
>>57110438
AUR
>>
>>57110438
I see nothing wrong with systemd. If you feel like being a vegan hipster go use haiku
>>
>>57110438
>hurr durr why won't they use my sophisticated distro
>>
>>57114240
I guess it gets close. Maybe get an arm powered bike so your knee doesn't get too bad. good luck.
>>
File: 1457259425685.jpg (114KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1457259425685.jpg
114KB, 640x640px
So my apartment is blocking torrents because they're disgusting fucks and I can't do much about it. The VPN I already paid for is slow as fuck and I can really only download things while I sleep. I'm trying to find a decent workaround.

I want to setup a VM and torrent on it with a VPN.

Would I be able to set this up so I can download something on the VM and play with it in windows immediately?
Can I get a recommendation on a good lightweight distro to do this on?

Also I'd like to know how dumb this idea is.
>>
>>57108901
got some free server resouces and quite a bit of traffic available, what should I host with it ?
>>
>>57115040
>arm powered bike
Of the 50 Km I walk about 5 Km.
Even if I get a bike it will probably get stolen, or I get run over.
Thanks anyway.
I'm thinking of getting a cane, but I'm embarrassed.
>>
>>57115092
>good lightweight distro
puppy.
>>
>>57115226
Badass canes can be pretty badass. i wouldn't mess with some guy with a cane.
>>57115156
Wiki mirrors, leaks, databases
>>
>>57114431
Correct script would look like this:

foo() {
youtube-dl "$1"
}
>>
>>57115805
Thank you, K&R is confusing.
So I should use " " instead of ' '?
what if I want to run more than one URL?
Do I just use foo URL1 URL2 ?
>>
>>57115861
If you want to pass more than one argument, you replace the 1 with a @.
>>
>>57115877
>@
Where can I read this basic shit?
I might need to modify the command to have more than varibles
>>
>>57115861
I'm really retarded.
" for variables
' for hard strings
var0='hello'
var1="$var0" # this works
var2='$var0' # this not

Check the OP copypasta list for the shell pasta. There are lots of ressources.
>>
>>57115897
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/abs-guide.html
>>
>>57115943
Are you confusing me on purpose ?
That's pretty kuzu anon.
>>
>>57116006
>http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/abs-guide.html
This link is a bad advise. It teaches a lot of bullshit.
>>
>>57116025
var=faggot
"$var" is faggot
'$var' is $var

Double quotes validate things inside it, single quotes means literal.
>>
>>57116030
Yeah it has some pitfalls, but over all it's a good resource.
Though http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide would be better.
>>
>>57116069
Agreed. wooledge wiki is better.
>>
>>57115897
watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHjc7hlqd0
>>
File: john_Carmack_working.jpg (41KB, 468x332px) Image search: [Google]
john_Carmack_working.jpg
41KB, 468x332px
I've tried every single linux distro and they all suck. Is there another good free OS I can try, or should I just give up an use windows?
>>
>>57116139
Use Windows.
>>
>>57116139
You install one distro, learn to use it and customize it so it doesn't suck.
>>
File: gotta_catch_them_all.png (2MB, 2020x7474px) Image search: [Google]
gotta_catch_them_all.png
2MB, 2020x7474px
>>57116139
>>
I can't get my Proprietary nvida drivers to start with X. When I run nvidia-xconfig the config file it creates prevents x from being able to start. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>57116241
Install the drivers properly?
>>
>>57116241
Also, in KDE that little icon that would pop up in the upper left corner of the screen if you moused up there is now gone. The one that you could click on to make all of your desktop windows pop up so you could select them graphically
>>
>>57116268
I followed the directions. What could I have done wrong?
>>
>>57108901

Will amdgpu-pro drivers for Ubuntu 16.04 work with Ubuntu 16.10?
>>
>>57113568
See
>>57113761
I'm 47 and still in good shape. Lean muscle tone tends to be out of reach with a lot of men past 40 but you can still look very good well into your old age if you're eating clean and doing maintenance exercise. Don't lift too hard though. I've blown out my shoulder twice in the last three years.

>>>/fit/ if you're serious about making it. We're glad to have more oldfags.
>>
Recommendations for a "fast" distribution?

A few years ago I was tinkering with Arch Linux and I was really impressed how fast it booted and worked. However, I didn't really like tinkering with it so much. I want something that "just works".
>>
>>57116327
>I didn't really like tinkering with it so much.
then don't?

Distros don't have much to do with speed anyway.
>>
>>57116368
Then what made it so fast and snappy? Any other distribution I tried was much slower. I even used GNOME at the time and it was still faster than Debian with GNOME or anything based from Ubuntu.
>>
>>57116406
It has less things installed.
>>
>>57116406
Proprietary drivers? Hell if I know what you do with you system.
>>
>>57116427
kek
>>
>>57116270
>>57116283
I'm just going to go ahead and reinstall both KDE and the NVidia drivers and hope I don't fubar my entire install.
>>
things which make a good distro:
- best
- lightweight
- user-friendly
- fast and snappy
>>
>>57116570

Ubuntu
>>
File: 1447038712781.gif (1MB, 225x157px) Image search: [Google]
1447038712781.gif
1MB, 225x157px
>>57116570
+ functional
>>
File: 1451508273221.gif (1MB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1451508273221.gif
1MB, 200x180px
>>57116596
>>
>>57116229
Is there one of these that is current?
>>
How can I generate 1mb of random data?
>>
>>57116796
dd if=/dev/urandom of=random.bin bs=1M count=1
>>
>>57116855
Thank you.
>>
File: Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg.png (4MB, 2000x8643px) Image search: [Google]
Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg.png
4MB, 2000x8643px
>>57116742
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution#History
>>
What's the best looking free Linux distro?
>>
>>57116139
Tried Debian?
>>
>>57117314
he's baiting
>>
>>57117258
Manjaro maybe
>>
>>57116327
>Recommendations for a "fast" distribution?
That would be a system operated by someone who knows what they're doing, I.E. no one here.
>>
>>57117427
rude
>>
>>57117427
my sk!llz are better than yours
>>
>>57116570

You forgot "webscale". It has to webscale, I refuse to use anything that doesn't webscale.
>>
>>57117493
and MODERN, my distro has to be MODERN
>>
>>57117258

A distribution has nothing to do with looks. Every distribution can look the same.
There should be a requirement of things people have to read before posting on here. Topics to include: what actually constitutes a distribution. Just that and about 80% of all ridiculous posts would be eliminated.
>>
File: SWaddict.gif (14KB, 432x360px) Image search: [Google]
SWaddict.gif
14KB, 432x360px
I'm currently trying to set up a Slackware system with 1GB of HDD on-board.
Essentially I want to have it X11, gcc and network interactions. What should I install? What should I delete?
No experience with Slackware earlier.
>>
>>57117258
Linux-libre
>>
>>57117628
install gentoo
>>
>>57116139
In the Linux world your distro sucks because you suck
>>
File: (24).gif (1MB, 214x180px) Image search: [Google]
(24).gif
1MB, 214x180px
>tfw you have been using linux for so long now that you don't even notice it
>tfw everything is set up permanently, no experimentation, not even changing themes or wallpapers

Feels good.
>>
>>57117529
you should kill yourself for being such a pretentious faggot.
>>
>>57116229
Why are all the ones based on redhat so short lived?
>>
>>57117628
- MariaDB
- Apache
- MySQL
- zenmap
- Games category
- KDE
- Fluxbox
- Python/Ruby
- Java (I don't remember is comes installed by default)
>>
File: 1475371398583.jpg (26KB, 422x376px) Image search: [Google]
1475371398583.jpg
26KB, 422x376px
Hey /g/, I'm searching for a lightweight and user-friendly modern distro, which is fast and snappy, functional and easy to use, looks nice out of the box and just werks.
>>
>>57117890
No freedom?
No gaming support?
No systemd concerns?
>>
As a developer, why would I bother downloading any other distro when Ubuntu works right out of the box?
>>
>>57117916
A developer wouldn't need to ask this question.
>>
>>57117916
I don't know. Is someone forcing you to do that?
>>
File: 1453547577726.jpg (186KB, 565x319px) Image search: [Google]
1453547577726.jpg
186KB, 565x319px
>>57117890
No webscale?
>>
>>57117890
No clean design?
>>
Arch Linux
>>
File: 1475592655135.png (99KB, 950x750px) Image search: [Google]
1475592655135.png
99KB, 950x750px
>>57117992
>>
So I understand that under /proc there's a file called kcore that takes up 128 TB but isn't actually there, so it just looks like it takes up 128 TB but is empty. If you try to copy it, though, it starts actually copying data as if it's there. (so if an unsuspecting user tries to backup the /proc folder, he'll need more space than the hard drive the computer actually has). How exactly is this possible? I know the point of kcore, I'm just wondering how it's actually possible for the system to lie about the file size like that, and I'm even more confused as to why it starts taking up data if you try to copy it.
>>
>>57117916
"As a developer <something stupid no developer would ever say>"
>>
>>57117940
>>57118084
why not?
>>
>>57118053
You aren't supposed to backup /proc, /dev, /run and some others. Basically when "everything is a file" you need some special files, for example /dev/urandom, it's purpose is to have an infinite source of random data, if you try to backup /dev/urandom it would take forever because it's infinite.
>>
>>57118053
Sparse space. Not allocated, but the system thinks it's something.
>>
>>57118053
Everything is a file
The concept of free space is also a file
>>
I want to install GNU/Linux on an old computer, but its graphical card is very weak, which DE/WM would you guys recommend?
>>
>>57118224
Something that doesn't require 3D.
>>
>>57116907
Thanks
>>
>>57118224
LXDE, LXQt, xfce are all lightweight DE's you could try.

You could go with i3 if you want to go more lightweight than those.
>>
How do I become good enough a programmer to be able to commit & help with software?

I just want awesome 3.6 to be released faster. The git version isn't cutting it for me.
>>
>>57117848
None of the above.
Should I post a list of installed packages?
If so, how do I print it?
>>
>>57118393
Learn whatever languages are required and play around with them, then if you want to add something to the library or program or fix something, clone it, change it, then compile it and see if it works well, then ask for a pull request.

If you want to actually become a dev for that program, then your best bet is either sending them an email, or hoping they contact you after submitting tons of pull requests. If they say no, it's not like it's written in stone.

>>57118501
>If so, how do I print it?
I think it's this:
ls /var/log/packages
>>
What is a good application for note taking? I'm using ubuntu 16.04.
>>
File: pkgs.png (70KB, 2000x400px) Image search: [Google]
pkgs.png
70KB, 2000x400px
>>57118544
Here it is
>>
>>57118933
GNU Emacs
>>
>>57118990
Nothing stands out as anything you should delete or uninstall, as most of those are general utilities (tar, grep, bash, etc).

I would install python and java, though. It's completely up to you how you want to set it up.

I'm not the guy who posted that list, though.
>>
Where is tumbler and how to restart as demen?
>>
>>57118933
Emacs org mode
>>
>>57118933
echo
>>
File: orangoutan.jpg (25KB, 579x329px) Image search: [Google]
orangoutan.jpg
25KB, 579x329px
>>57119207
This list already takes almost 800 megabytes out of 945M, I can't believe there is no way out
>>
>>57119018
>>57119224
why do you /g/ nerds always have to choose the hardest software to use? just gimme a simple fucking application you god damn fucking fagggots.
>>
>>57119324
mousepad
>>
File: 19084359343.jpg (35KB, 282x377px) Image search: [Google]
19084359343.jpg
35KB, 282x377px
>Install KDE
>Network applet shows up once and disappears
>Can't set my VPN options anymore
Fucking KDE. Every time I try to use it there's always a new problem that pops up. First it was the DE making my laptop overheat, then it randomly deleting programs (eg the file manager), and now this.
I'm convinced that baboons manage KDE at this point.
>>
>>57119324
Its not hard to use at all. If you're such a mouthbreather that you can't spend 30 minutes learning about org mode to make your life 100x easier then use a pen and notebook
>>
>>57118990

You don't need udisks and udisks2 most likely (for mounting).
You don't need os-prober if you don't want to automatically generate GRUB configs when having multiple OSes installed.
You don't need mcelog if you're not troubleshooting hardware crashes/failures.
YOu don't need lm_sensors if you don't want to keep an eye on temps.
You don't need dmidecode if you don't want additional system information.

Removing those would give you like 5MB of additional space. What you want to remove are the manpages and package documentation and development headers.
>>
>>57119324

Notes are text, so any text editor will work.
>>
>>57119324
echo "install gentoo" >> ~/todo
>>
>>57109669

>year ago
>new roommate at uni
>stumpy chubby asian kid, moved in with nearly no belongings other than a laptop, a bucket, and a fist full of clothes
>thats it, no bedsheets, no food, nothing.
>tells me he's also a CS major
>5 minutes after we had that conversation, he comes tapping on my door, asks me to help him set up his internet
>still busy unpacking, just tell him he has to go to the school site and enter his MAC address
>"but i use windows"
>...
>set it up for him, give him the BOTD and assume he's as new as they come, hasnt actually taken a CS course yet
>later learn he's even farther along with his degree than i am
how?
>>
>>57118933
Don't take notes. You'll end up with a huge list of stuff you don't want to do. Now or never.
#yolo
>>
When I try to download files with rsync it wont let me cd into the directory afterwards. When I use dir to see what is going on the directory created by rsync is highlighted in red and has an @ sign at the end. Does anyone know what is going on?
>>
>>57119694
@'s are symbolic links
use ls, read the docs:
info ls
>>
>>57119748
So why is it down loading to symbolic links? Its supposed to be downloading the directory? Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>>
File: Selection_002.png (841KB, 1918x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_002.png
841KB, 1918x1066px
>>57109893
this pajeet and 3-part youtube series got me started
http://kumarcode.com/Colorful-i3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4
>>
>>57119748
>>57119773
Okay so I tried to use cd -P to get into the symbolic link but it says therr is no such directory
>>
Help anyone?
Compare the output of both commands and explain what the -al options do for the ls command.
Both commands being ls -l and ls -al
>>
File: me.png (151KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
me.png
151KB, 1024x768px
who /odd machine/ here?
>>
>>57119592
Where are headers?
>>
>>57119878
see >>57119748
>>
File: WHSfIcc.jpg (153KB, 1098x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WHSfIcc.jpg
153KB, 1098x1200px
>>57119878
Bruh its pretty simple homework just run the two different commands and compare and contrast them. How old are you?
>>
>>57119592
>>57119924
Oh well, I removed kernel headers.
150 megabytes available.
What can I do more?
>>
>>57119924
>>57120000

I meant the additional development stuff which some distributions bundle with packages. I don't know how Slackware handles that. On debian for example it's split up and you can choose not to install it if you don't need it.
Remove man pages and documentation.
>>
Would .bash_history be considered a hidden file?
>>
File: cback.webm (667KB, 652x272px) Image search: [Google]
cback.webm
667KB, 652x272px
>>57119686

Why is this so funny?
>>
>>57109893

The best use for 1366×768 certainly isn't tiling. Nice [whatever the psychological condition is that you're displaying].
>>
>>57120082
All dotfiles are hidden files.

There's a difference between hidden files and, for example, stuff in root.
Things you don't have permission to see are not hidden to the users/groups that can see the, just you can't.

Hidden files on the other hand, are hidden for everyone (unless you use -a etc.)
>>
>>57120082
Yes
>>
>>57120082
Starts with a dot, it's a hidden file.
>>
File: star trek stalagtite.jpg (39KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
star trek stalagtite.jpg
39KB, 400x300px
Reminder we have more content in the two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (NEW CONTENT)
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097

Ported videogames (NEW CONTENT)
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928

We also need a thread on /vg/ for gaymers because year of the GNU/Linux desktop motherfuckers, here is the pasta
http://pastebin.com/BkEwKnmY
>>
>>57120082

Considered, yes. But bear in mind that it actually doesn't change anything about the file. It's just a convention that everything is mostly adhering to — treating files that start with a dot as hidden. File managers and ls from coreutils do that.
>>
>>57120070
You can choose what packages to install with slackware.
>>
What is the worst distro?
>>
File: 2414332460_bb710ed7b3.jpg (106KB, 404x500px) Image search: [Google]
2414332460_bb710ed7b3.jpg
106KB, 404x500px
I gotta switch to Linux. What would you recommend for my main desktop PC? I mainly do web surfing, some multimedia, programming, need virtualisation for some Adobe software, would be best if GPU passthrough was available. I have some experience with Ubuntu Server, a little with Debian and Arch(not such good experience with Arch). A three monitor setup, no unusual hardware, maybe except some audio USB interfaces. Not much into ricing and tinkering with my OS, I just need something relatively stable that will work and will not be Winblows. On the other hand, I am not a total beginner, I will handle tasks like manually mounting stuff / editing configs / managing daemons etc. Just prefer to not have to do this every day.
>>
>>57120070
I removed kernel headers.
>Remove man pages and documentation.
>160 M free at overall
wew
>>
File: 1476489871536.png (337KB, 398x582px) Image search: [Google]
1476489871536.png
337KB, 398x582px
>>57120110
>being this butt-blasted about a resolution
>>
>>57120250
install gentoo
>>
File: file.png (409KB, 491x496px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
409KB, 491x496px
>mfw The Talos Principle (Windows version) runs better through Wine with OpenGL than it does on Windows with DirectX 11
>>
>>57120334
>file.png
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>57120250
opensuse, *buntu, fedora.

pick one
>>
>>57120362
kek
>>
>>57120334
doesn't the talos principle have linux builds? why did someone go through the effort of doing this
>>
>>57120334
Isn't there a native port and a vulkan version as well.
>>
Why is it that, using compiz with vsync enabled, moving windows around doesn't produce much lag, but compton does?

I try using compton and windows seem to have some weight to them when dragging them, goddammit.
>>
>>57120250
Slackware64 is exactly what you are looking for. Alien bobs guide on a multilib setup is easy to follow. Litteraly cut and paste your way to multilib and then slackbuilds.org for virtualbox
>>
>>57120328
I don't want the hassle of compiling everything I wanna use. It's not necessary.

>>57120362
Opensuse and *buntu seem like they are going to limit me somehow because they are beginner-orientated. Gotta look into Fedora though. Isn't it too unstable? Will stuff break after updates like it would happen to me when I was using Arch on my laptop?
>>
How do I escape `find` filenames' special characters, other than the obvious workaround of putting the name in quotation marks
>>
>>57120429
Just use Slackware then its litterally what you are asking for see: >>57120420
>>
File: slackwar.png (6KB, 478x113px) Image search: [Google]
slackwar.png
6KB, 478x113px
OK, how do I check how many space uses any package in Slackware?
>>
>>57120465
apt-get --assume-no autoremove mpv | grep be\ freed

something like this?
>>
>>57120465
What? I think you made some grammar errors.
>>
>>57120465
The du command.

du -h folder-with-packages/*
>>
>>571205>>57120465
What sure you run man on any commands these guys give you before using them so you dont fuck your install.
>>
>>57120420
>>57120450
Slackware sounds interesting. How does it compare to Debian? Does it have the same stability? Will buildscripts for some pieces of software compile for an entire night like I heard they do on Gentoo? Also, is Slackware64 a separete distro or is it just an x86_64 version of Slackware?
>>
>>57120465
>>57120506
This includes dependencies, if you want only the package itself

apt-get --assume-no autoremove mpv | grep be\ freed

Or simply
apt show mpv 2>/dev/null | grep .-Size
>>
>>57120546
>>57120506
He's using Slackware, no apt.
>>
>>57120506
>>57120546
>Slackware
>APT
>The shitty caliphate of me
>>
>>57120429
opensuse won't limit you at all, ubuntu might. fedora isn't unstable.

>>57120537
slackware64 is just a pure 64bit version of slackware, hence someone else giving you multilib instructions earlier in the thread. if you want to feel like you're really just stringing your system together, go with slackware.
>>
>>57120537
Slackware is actually known for its stability. Its more stable than debian. How long a package takes to compile depends on the size of the package and your computer. Ive never had it take all night to compile on my w530 though. Longest two compile times were virtualbox and wine for me. Niether of them took a night, both were completely bearable.
>>
>>57120520
It will give only compressed size values.

pkgtool gave me sizes of uncompressed packages, but I want them just in one list.
I don't wan't to run through all the packages in folder just to check how many space one or another package is supposed to use.
>>
>>57120568
>>57120554
>>57120465
He could download slapt-package

But looking at the docs, slackpkg info should work
http://slackpkg.org/documentation.html
>>
>>57120429
fedora's been pretty stable for me and three monitors worked out of the box. If you don't like gnome check their spins page.
>>
>>57120277

First of all I'm not "buttblasted". Secondly, it's not the resolution that idiotic, it's people tiling windows into tiny windows for ants which don't fit any proper content. THen they believe that's smart, desirable or even the point of tiling. Hint: it's not.
>>
>slackware
what year is it?
>>
>>57120585
All of the suse distros trace their roots back to slackware. The first suse was a slackware based distro.
>>
>>57120630
that's cool
>>
>>57120627
Its the current year and slackware is still popular whether your booty blasted about getting btfo or not.
>>
worldoflinux.org
>>
>>57120250

Yes, there's totally a distribution out there which is tailored to those not-so-specific demands. Totally. It's not like there are only a handful of distinct distributions that people are supposed to configure to their specific needs. Totally. Yeah.
>>
>>57120627
slackware is going to become a fad here, just watch.
>>
>>57120655
Not really.
>>
>>57120663
There has always been slackboos here.
>>
>>57120671
Keep telling yourself that. Its a major distro whether you like it or not.
>>
>>57120627
based on the earlier wenk posting 2003
>>
File: 1470297865569.gif (871KB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
1470297865569.gif
871KB, 245x230px
>>57120554
Originally I was going to install Debian, but it didn't seem to give me any control over the installation process, so I gave up and tried to setup Slackware.
It seems to be cool, maybe I'll be switching to Slackware sometime.
>>
>>57120429

>a distribution holding you back because it's "beginner-oriented"
No, a distribution cannot hold you back with its "beginner-orientation". Mostly because there is no such thing like "beginner-orientation".

>Will stuff break after updates like it would happen to me when I was using Arch on my laptop?
You weren't using Arch or you were an idiot. Something is telling me you were an idiot who installed every package from the AUR and then complained about stuff "breaking".
>>
>>57120701
There a definitely beginner oriented distros.
>>
>>57112221
jason$ man 4chan
No manual entry for 4chan
(Alternatively, what manual page do you want from section 4chan?)
>>
>>57120700

Define your "control over the installation process".
>>
>>57120627
>he never installed slackware
laughingGirls.png
>>
>>57120712
Not him, but there are User-Friendly distros that are more accessible to begginer
I don't think there are any distros who are made specifically to soften the landing from Windows and is supposed to be used as a gateway to real distros
>>
>>57120712

There's nothing you can't do on those distributions that you can on "advanced" distributions.
What you have there is just another guy who doesn't know what defines a distribution. He's looking at irrelevant things which he can get on any distribution while throwing around some common myths about every distribution.
>>
>>57120724
Setup program on the Slackware let me choose what packages I want.
I didn't see such an option for Debian.
>>
>>57120762
What?
Literally Debian netinst, the most common version of Debian install
>>
>>57120745
>>57120756
Some distros stick to the unix philosophy more than others.
>>
>>57120779
Also debootstrap which gives you even more control.
>>
>>57120779
I'm sticking with Slackware now.
>>
>>57120801
I'd reccomend Debian, but it's up to you
>>
>>57120762

Maybe you should have informed yourself better then instead of blindly doing potentially stupid things that make your life harder. See this >>57120779 and >>57120792.
>>
>>57120801
You're going to love it.
>>
>>57120788

How does a distribution stick to the Unix philosophy? Explain, because I have a feeling that you're going to say something ridiculously retarded.
>>
>>57120813
>Installing a distro I don't like is unacceptable
>people can't be allowed to do this.
>>
>>57120823
Are you stupid? Do you even know what it is?
>>
>>57120835

Improve your reading comprehension. No one claimed that people aren't allowed to do things. All I did was point out his ignorance.
He's most likely a gullible person and went with the first, ridiculous, most likely even "troll" suggestion from someone on here.
>>
REMINDER: This is a FRIENDLY thread.
>>
>>57120823
>how can an operating system stick to a philosphy directly related to operating systems
Do you think that every package and every distributions custom code sticks to it or something? Why are you accusing others of saying something stupid?
>>
>>57120856

No, YOU are supposed to explain how a distribution can stick to the Unix philosophy.
I assume you mean the famous "do one thing and do it well" quote. That's for software. There is absolutely no way you can apply that to a distribution. Look up what a distribution is. If we somehow did apply your crazy claim, then no distribution is sticking to the Unix philosophy because they're all most likely bundling software like Firefox which isn't adhering to the Unix philosophy.
>>
>>57120920

The Unix philosophy applies to SOFTWARE, not distributions. At least the quote he's most likely talking about.
>>
>>57120892
No you got upset because he didnt choose your favorite distro. Secondly if a think a suggestion of a distro that fits what hes looking for exactly is a troll suggestion then you need to improve your reading comprehension.
>>
>>57120948
Distributions are made up of software packages. The Unix philosophy comes from the development of the Unis operating system.
>>
>>57120971
Unix*
>>
Why does Linus use Fedora? Is he retarded?
>>
>>57120930
No I mean the entire philosphy not a qoute. Are you challenged? Do you even know what the Unix philosophy is or where it comes from?
>>
>>57120987
He doesn't give a fuck basically.
>>
>>57120971

Okay, so how do you decide if a distribution is Unix-like according to you? Also, when you say Unix-like, what do you exactly mean?
>>
>Unix philosophy
>proprietary software philosophy
>>
>>57120930
So you put words in someones mouth then rule out their argument based off of the words you put in their mouth? Do I have to link you to the unix philosophy? You clearly have no idea what it is.
>>
>>57120892
>and went with the first, ridiculous, most likely even "troll" suggestion from someone on here.
That would be Gentoo or Arch then.

I installed netinst at first, but there was nowhere written where can I tune up packages I want for my first run. Also I had problems with network.
I know Slackware already for many years and I know it's pretty stable. I wanted to give it a try, well, I finally gave it. I liked Slackware setup tool more than Debian setup tool and there's nothing anyone can do with it.
>>
>>57121010
Linux is based off of the Unix philosophy.
>>
>>57121036
>>57121002

He made the claim, he's supposed to provide proof.
I'm interested now, show me all of the Unix philosophies and we'll see how it can make one distribution stick more to it.
>>
>>57118544
dpkg -l
>>
>>57120987
Linus has no idea about distros, he's just good with kernel development. He said in a talk that he doesn't use Ubuntu because it's too difficult to install.
>>
>>57120357
GNOME screenshot calls it "file.png" when copied to your clipboard

>>57120379
>>57120390
Yes, there are Linux editions of The Talos Principle, but I already had it installed on my Windows partition and didn't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling.
>>
>>57121009
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
Oh and read past thw intro. Wikipedia's intro to it sucks. Read the whole article and then look up a couple other articles on it then look into plan9.

As for an example of a software package that would deviate a distro away from the Unix philosophy: SystemD
>>
New thread when? I'm only here for the boobs.
>>
>>57120801
Have fun with no auto dependency resolution
>>
>>57121068
If you think someone is going to spoon feed you the entire Unix philosophy then your nuts. The linux kernel is based off of it. You should already know this.
>>
>>57121117
>The linux kernel is based off of it.
KEK
>>
>>57121115
If you can handle running more than one slackbuild script you have issues. This improves stability.
>>
>>57121115
you just make sure the library set gets installed in your initial install, and then chances are you'll never run into a problem if you use slackpkg+ and sbopkgs.
>>
>>57121124
It is. The GNU naming convention references the Unix OS itself. Linux was designed to be Unix-like.
>>
Need some help, very new to Linux/programming in general so bear with me.

Had Windows 7 running on my old HP G6 laptop. I had some security concerns (long story), and decided to break into Linux. Originally I downloaded the desktop installer for Lubuntu, figuring I'd go simple over something like Gentoo for my first experience, but apparently my computer hates me. Lubuntu and Ubuntu-Mate wouldn't install, would get stuck at their loading screens. Eventually I decided to do a complete system restore via BIOS, which reverted me back to Windows 7 with no updates. From here, I downloaded plain Ubuntu, which first failed in the same way as the previous installations, but then somehow unstuck and loaded the graphical installer. I got to the part where I would select which part of my drive to install the root system, but after this the installer crashed. I could boot to BIOS but if I let it load anything more I'd just end up with a black DOS style screen with a blinking underscore.

Used another computer to load Debian onto a CD. The installation took, although there is some strange compiling during bootup, something to the effect of denied permissions (I can look again). So here's the real problem.

There's no program to connect to wifi, or via an Ethernet cable. Any time I try to access the network config via the terminal I'm met with permission denied, and was met with this numerous times throughout my attempts to connect at various points. The only network tools I have access to are Network Monitor, permission denied for network interfaces via config too, using the root account. WTF is going on lol, is this just me being babbies first Linux?

BIOS virus or me being reeeeee?
>>
>>57121156
>linux kernel
>kernel

GNU is part of the kernel?
>>
UNIX: macOS

not UNIX: GNU, Linux
>>
File: torvalds.jpg (16KB, 294x304px) Image search: [Google]
torvalds.jpg
16KB, 294x304px
>>57120987
“Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's my choice, dammit.”
>>
>>57121094
>>57121117

>Make each program do one thing well. To do a new job, build afresh rather than complicate old programs by adding new "features".
I don't see how a distribution packaging software has any relevance in this.

>Expect the output of every program to become the input to another, as yet unknown, program. Don't clutter output with extraneous information. Avoid stringently columnar or binary input formats. Don't insist on interactive input.
Neither for this.

>Design and build software, even operating systems, to be tried early, ideally within weeks. Don't hesitate to throw away the clumsy parts and rebuild them.
This might to some degree, but you didn't specify or give examples how some distributions differ in terms of this.

>Use tools in preference to unskilled help to lighten a programming task, even if you have to detour to build the tools and expect to throw some of them out after you've finished using them.
Again, this doesn't apply to a distribution's tasks.

>As for an example of a software package that would deviate a distro away from the Unix philosophy: SystemD
You CANNOT possibly claim that the software available in a distribution's repositories is any way relevant to the ridiculous claim that a DISTRIBUTION is "Unix-like".

tl;dr: you're claiming that if a distribution has systemd in its repositories it's not Unix-like. That's enough for any normal person to not take you seriously.
>>
>>57121178
both unix but at&t had a shit fit about others calling systems not their own unix. But unix-like and *nix they where okay with.
>>
>>57121168
Thats not what I said. Do you not even know what the gnu naming convention is. Linux uses the gnu naming convention for its name Linux is Not Unix.
>>
>>57121192
You need to learn how to read pal.
>>
inb4 this thread 404s because noone creates a new one and /fglt/ dies
>>
>>57121212
>Thats not what I said.

>>57121117
>If you think someone is going to spoon feed you the entire Unix philosophy then your nuts. The linux kernel is based off of it. You should already know this.
>linux kernel
>kernel
>>
>>57121232
We will never figure out which is the best distro anyway. Nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>57121239
NEW THREAD
>>57121239
NEW THREAD
>>57121239
NEW THREAD
>>57121239
NEW THREAD

(With no tits because fuck you sex-obsessed morons. Go to a porn-related board.)
>>
>>57121192
>tl;dr: you're claiming that if a distribution has systemd in its repositories it's not Unix-like
No, he said that it deviates away from Unix philosphy and he is right systemD does. Its kind of pathetic how you can be spoon fed a link to the philosophy and still just simply not get it. Did you read past the intro?
>>
>>57121235
Yup, the linux kernel is based off of the Unix philosophy whats your point? Thats not what I said I didnt say. I said I didn't say that the linux kernel includes GNU which I never did. You're doing some serious reaching here.
>>
>>57121261

We're talking about distributions deviating from the philosophy, NOT SOFTWARE it's packaging, like systemd. See this post >>57120788.
>>
>>57120701
I have never used AUR. I was using KDE, I followed the official installation guide and the official graphical environment installation guide, after that I only installed updates through apt. One of the updates broke IntelliJ's graphical interface. That's when I switched to Debian. I am still, citing you, "an idiot", when it comes to Linux, my only point is that Arch requires more of user's attention and ingerence to operate smoothly. I wouldn't be complaining if I had installed any unofficial packages. I am not saying that Arch is a bad distro, I recognize its pros and cons, my sentence you mentioned was about my experience with Arch as a person who doesn't want to be forced to pay attention to every official upgrade in order to not make stuff just stop working. Which happened.

What you're saying is vague and I don't see your point besides wanting to call me an idiot.
>>
>>57121351
>apt
It was pacman, obviously.
>>
File: 1455807679633.jpg (41KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
1455807679633.jpg
41KB, 500x402px
>>57119680
>how?

AZN
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.