[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 32

File: 1453513351577.jpg (110KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
1453513351577.jpg
110KB, 612x816px
Previously on: >>56476414

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
File: unix.jpg (22KB, 260x334px) Image search: [Google]
unix.jpg
22KB, 260x334px
Anyone know where I can obtain a copy of this book?
>>
first for gentoo

nuked lib/systemd with eudev-git but wpa_supplicaint does not work and libsystemd.so.0 errors

i was comfy with wpa_cli and dhcpcd, what do
>>
Can I buy a cheap laptop, gut out the HDD for an SSD and install a choice distro without many problems?
>>
>>56493714
install gentoo
>>
>>56493681
try libgen
>>56493737
sure why not
>>56493767
nice meme
>>
>>56493737
follow the rabbit https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S56184720#p56193118
>>
Are there any text-based browsers that support representing images as ASCII art, the way Ranger does?
>>
>last thread nearly 404'd without new thread
Aren't people interested in linux anymore?
>>
>>56493867
w3m supports framebuffer images (like ranger), for ascii - no idea. I'm also interested.
>>
>>56493867
pretty sure that's supposed to be ANSI, not ACII. Are you running ranger on a TTY? if so try doing unicode_start to get utf-8 support.
>>
hi /fgt/

i've been using linux for many years on servers for projects. i'm about to switch jobs where i'll be doing development on linux professionally (previously windows).

i can get around just fine, i've done gentoo in the past, but how can i discover the myriad of tools/tricks to be productive?
>>
>>56493910
>pretty sure that's supposed to be ANSI, not ACII.
man ascii
>>
Is it worth using networkmanager if you never really have problems with your static connection?
>>
>>56493936
>completely anonymous stranger tries to help
>you decide to point out his spelling mistake

ok m8
>>
>>56493985
I want to point out that that wasn't me (the Ranger guy), anon.
>>
>>56493985
Negative. The manpage shows you the ascii charset.
Just saying that ascii art is correct here.

For comparsion:
ansi art:
          ▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄▄
▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄
▄▀▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█
█▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█
█▒▒▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀▒▒▒▄█████▄▒█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▄█████▄▒█
█▒▒▒▒▐██▄████▌▒█▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐██▄████▌▒█
▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▀█████▀▒▒█▒ ▄▒▄█▒▒▀█████▀▒▒▒█
▒▒▐▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒█▒ ▒▒▀▒▒█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█
▒▌▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▄▀▒ ▒▄█▄█▄▒▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
▒▌▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒█▌▌▌▌▌█▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▐
▒▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒▒▀███▀▒▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
▀▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█
▀▄▒▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀
▒▒▀▄▒▀▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▒▒▒▒▀▄▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▐
▄▄▄ ▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
█ ▄▄ █▄▄ █▀▄█ █ █ █ █ █
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀

ascii art:
    _-`````-,           ,- '- .
.' .- - | | - -. `.
/.' / `. \
:/ : _... ..._ `` :
:: : /._ .`:'_.._\. || :
:: `._ ./ ,` : \ . _.'' .
`:. / | -. \-. \\_ /
\:._ _/ .' .@) \@) ` `\ ,.'
_/,--' .- .\,-.`--`.
,'/'' (( \ ` )
/'/' \ `-' (
'/'' `._,-----'
''/' .,---'
''/' ;:
''/'' ''/
''/''/''
'/'/'
`;
>>
anyone ever tried to compile something for the debian stable/backports repo? How painful the process is? I want to contribute somehow but since I have no programming skills I could use my pc for compiling some fresh software.
>>
>>56493514
I'm trying to send files to my cellphone using Blueman/Bluetooth but I'm getting this message. What's wrong this time?
>>
So i have 2 desktops with Linux, i didn't used them for a long time.
I was wondering should i put them into bitcoin mining?
I am illegally connected to electricity so i get 0 euros per month on bill,
What do you think? I they can be on 24/7
>>
>>56494286
>I am illegally connected to electricity
wtf
>>
Alright guys. For about a year, I've been running Debian alongside win10 on my T420.

I'm starting to get fed up with win10's shit, and I think I'm ready to make the switch.

I plan on installing Debian as the only OS on my SSD and setting up a VM for Windows 7. I need that because I need Photoshop and Illustrator. Those two are basically the only software that I need that are not available on Linux. (However, I occasionally play with Trackmania Nations. Do you think it will run okay on the VM?)

Do you guys have any tips for me? Apart from starting with a full backup of course.
>>
>>56494302
my apartment was illegally build, it is not in building plan. I have everything but i don't exist :D
Best part, it is duplex on the top floor of the building :D
>>
>>56494308
try Wine or VM first ,then decide if you want to do a full switch.
>>
>>56494286
or BOINC if you are intrested in contributing to science
>>
>>56494060
>>56493898
>>56493910
>>56493867
Just to expand on this, if there's no such browser, I'm going to try making it into a little project. There already seems to be a library called aalib with impressive renders (http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/gallery/), so I imagine it might just be as simple as writing a configurable converter with a small footprint. Is Lynx still the most popular text-based browser?
>>
>>56494286
from what I've heard bitcoin is basically impossible to get unless you own a big farm of up-to-date servers

try some of the cheaper memecoins like doge or ethereum maybe.
they can be sold for bitcoins still
>>
>>56494155
What distro?
>>
>>56493932
Which language?
>>
>>56493514
Thank you based Ubuntu.
>>
>>56493514
Oi I have a sweatshirt like that with a debian logo. It's comfy.
>>
File: 1471729967595.png (289KB, 352x386px) Image search: [Google]
1471729967595.png
289KB, 352x386px
I'm kinda curious about something guys.

How come that when I only type 'sudo aptitude install' by itself and no package name or following it, I get this?

anon@anonlaptop:~$ sudo aptitude install
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libalgorithm-c3-perl{u} libclass-c3-perl{u} libclass-xsaccessor-perl{u}
libcpan-changes-perl{u} libdata-optlist-perl{u} libdata-perl-perl{u} libdata-section-perl{u}
libdevel-caller-perl{u} libdevel-lexalias-perl{u} liblog-message-perl{u}
liblog-message-simple-perl{u} libmodule-implementation-perl{u} libmodule-pluggable-perl{u}
libmoox-handlesvia-perl{u} libmro-compat-perl{u} libnamespace-autoclean-perl{u}
libnamespace-clean-perl{u} libpackage-constants-perl{u} libpackage-stash-perl{u}
libpadwalker-perl{u} libparams-validate-perl{u} libpath-tiny-perl{u} libpod-latex-perl{u}
libpod-markdown-perl{u} libpod-readme-perl{u} libsoftware-license-perl{u}
libsub-exporter-perl{u} libsub-install-perl{u} libterm-ui-perl{u} libtext-soundex-perl{u}
libtext-template-perl{u} libtype-tiny-perl{u} libtype-tiny-xs-perl{u}
libunicode-utf8-perl{u} unity-editor{p}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 35 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 3,762 MB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgetopt-long-descriptive-perl : Depends: libparams-validate-perl but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libsub-exporter-perl but it is not going to be installed
libb-hooks-endofscope-perl : Depends: libmodule-implementation-perl but it is not going to be installed

And then tries to present me with some dependency solving options

But my question is: WHY does it prompt me to remove these packages when no package name follows sudo aptitude install? I'm on Debian Sid if that makes any difference. This causes me no issues as I can still install things normally and all that, I'm just curious.
>>
>>56494822
DEBQUEENS BTFO!
>>
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 16 from a USB. The Ubuntu logo will show up with five white dots. After they fill up nothing happens no matter how long I wait.
What's going wrong here?
>>
>>56495023
they are unused libraries?
>>
>>56495044
I don't think so, because unity-editor appears there at the end and I'm most definitely using that
>>
>>56495052
have you installed it in a way that wrote it to your world file or however apt works?

maybe it was installed as a temporary package or maybe another package installed it and you no longer use that package, and apt thinks it is safe to remove
>>
File: Selection_052.png (35KB, 882x197px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_052.png
35KB, 882x197px
is this working or not?
cpu is on 100% but on site in workers tab i get 0 active workers
>>
>>56495133
It's an experimental build for Linux, so I installed as an external .deb file through dpkg.
>>
>>56495023
I think it's trying to clean. The output for apt autoremove looks the same.
>>
>>56495190
So what should I do? Let it clean and then re-install Unity to see if it keeps doing it?
>>
>>56495220
It's likely an older package that's now unneeded due to upgrading. So you should be safe. Of course, some distros break every time you update something, and I haven't used Debian Sid in a bit so I'm not totally sure it won't.

Basically every package has other packages it depends on right? The newer versions of some of the packages installed no longer depend on those packages, so apt can remove them. Whether or not apt is doing the right thing is a leap of faith in my experience but it generally is.

Basically, do you trust apt?
>>
>>56494822
Linus is awesome but I will never get it.
Debian is the same end-user wise ,it just has less bloat installed. Ofc if you are going to use everything Ubuntu has installed Debian makes no sense, but who needs shittones of language packs/chinese and other fonts/ facebook and google account integrations (especially since facebook is no longer supported in empathy), ubufox extension (what exactly does this do except the start page?), 3 guis for apt (auto updates, synaptic and gnome-software) in addition to apt-get and apt for cli (good thing they don't ship aptitude additionally), two web browsers (one Ubuntu app and Firefox), the list goes on.
I know that you have to do extra work if you really need to make Debian work like Ubuntu, but also have to do extra work if you want Ubuntu to be lighter/less bloated like Debian.

Comparing Ubuntu minimal with Debian netinstall is more interesting imo.
>>
>>56495345
Sure. Besides, if suddenly stuff breaks, it's generally only a matter of reinstalling what you removed

I guess I'll go about it out of curiosity when I have some time to waste. For now everything's peachy though.

And Sid is actually really stable, I've been using it for about a year and I've experienced zero breakage. apt-listbugs works wonders
>>
Guys, what are some nice themes for xfce? Arc is nice but eye-straining.
>>
>>56495371
>Debian is the same end-user wise
It isn't. Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>56494615
I'd edit w3m's source and replace (or add) w3mimagedisplay with img2txt.

I found an option for w3m to run external commands with ESC+M, a command looks like this:
w3m -o extbrowser=mpv <url>
This works to view videos, but no luck with img2txt since it doesnt embed it...
>>
>>56495384
Yeah my laptop runs it I just generally don't use it for much more than a tiny programming box for when I go places so it doesn't really see much change. But it's held up for two years with basically no maintenance.

And yeah that's like the great thing about Linux. If it breaks, eh. It can be fixed. Especially coming from being on windows as my main OS and using Linux for smaller things, switching over reduced the amount of problems I had to solve.
>>
>>56494822
Well, Linus being stupid is not new. People make a mistake when they think Linus knows about whats goining on in tech besides kernel development. I mean, he isn't even able to install Debian. Let that sink in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s
>>
How do I make it so my laptop wakes correctly from suspend and when opening the lid?
>>
>>56495538
>I want it easy to install, because I want to go on with my life
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
What's the best distro for learning about how operating systems work?
>>
>>56495466
>want to install something
use apt-get (or apt in testing/new ubuntu) (same as ubuntu)
>want a full desktop
install a metapackage or use tasksel (same as ubuntu)
>package names are the same
Only real difference is PPA availability on ubuntu, as well as having Unity, and some other restricted packages that exist only on Ubuntu (fonts etc)
All other non-free software / drivers is in the non-free repo (wow you have to add contrib and non-free at the end of the line so hard)

Missing polish (or bloat if you are an archfag) is not a bad thing if you don't need it. And yes there are cases in which you don't need it, for example I don't need a modemmanager.service active or even installed, or plymouth, or apt-daily or netowrkmanager-wait-online.service, or zeitgeist or anything unity-webapps-common can provide my (if we are talking about unity). Not to mention tones of codecs for quicktime flash and other shit that is installed when people check the ubuntu-restricted-extras tickbox at ubuntu installation because you want mp3 support.

>I don't need it so you don't need it too
I rather install what I need than remove what I don't need. If it was the other way around i would still use windows and deal with removing shitty acer/dell/asus/lenovo bloatware that comes with the pc.
>>
>>56495684
It's not just Linus

Heeere's Richard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM
>>
>>56495699
Every distro. Just use the terminal as much as you can. Dig in /proc/, read lots of manpages and the ArchWiki. Don't fall for the meme about "Arch teaches you Linux" tho.
>>
>>56495708
also me* and *tons , sorry
>>
>>56495699
You can do this on literally any.
Don't fall for the Arch meme.
>>
>>56495727
>>56495738
Ok thanks. I think I'll just install Mint then
>>
>>56495763
Don't. Just don't. Get at least Ubuntu. Mint is completly broken and insecure.
>>
Is there an equivalent to free download manager for linux?
>>
>>56495738
I don't think that Ubuntu will ever make you look up how a proper font config or language support can be provided when you don't have it out of the box.
Ofc this is not learning how a system "works" its just learning how to configure one.
>>
I think I'm too dumb to use Gentoo
I just emerged like a dozen of things manually trying to get lxde to work
I expected emerge to pull its dependencies and was totally overwhelmed when it didn't.
What's a distro I can use if i don't want to bother with dependencies (or drivers, which I also fucked up royally three times now) but still feel leet about using?
>>
>>56495763
Let me make what I meant clearer. You can learn about the OS on any distro. That doesn't mean you should install any distro. Mint is one of those 'big no no' distros, because their code is spaghetti as fuck and they (by default) delay security updates because they have to make sure it's compatible with their mess.

Better to use Ubuntu, which Mint is based on. Or Debian, which Ubuntu is based on. Or Fedora. Or openSUSE. I've heard good things about Manjaro too.
>>
>>56495799
>FDM
that takes me back

nowadays most large downloads i do are torrents, so transmission (or any torrent client really) has taken the place of FDM/download managers for me
>>
>>56495810
that depends if you want to feel leet configuring it (arch) or feel leet using it (anything else).
>>
>>56495806
Exactly, so you won't learn more about how the system itself works. Just about ricing, which most people don't bother with because they just need for productivity
>>
>>56495810
It's been a while since I've used Gentoo, but doesn't emerge automatically pull dependencies?

Did you pull X11 before trying to pull lxde?
>>
>>56495843
ideally I'd want something I don't have to configure a lot, but I still want all kinds of funware like toilet or lolcat, which aren't available on my unironic distro (fedora)
>>
>>56495864
it pulls some dependencies, but apparently not all of the needed dependencies to run something.
I got lxde to work now, but why do I have to install the xserver and lxde seperately when lxde very clearly needs X and should thus automatically install it as dependency?
>>
>>56495784
They are drawn to Mint because Cinnamon looks more like Windows. Sent Mint refugees to Kubuntu or Ubuntu Mate.
>>
>have ubantoo 14.04 on vps
>decide to distupgrade to 16
>when done ssh server or even reboot doesn't work
Turns out they changed from upstart to systemd and the distupgrade didn't migrate what should start at bootup. Had to rollback to a 14 template and reinstall everything and config everything up. I should just make a script to do that.
>>
>>56495875
you can try Debian testing or unstable. Usually just the installation process is painful, later its ok and you have both of those packages in repositories. Also you can compile stuff you don't have.
>>
>>56495924
>Debian installation
>Painful

End this meme
Even my little brother could do it without any help
>>
>>56495899
You've fucked up your installation and config something fierce if Portage isn't handling that for you.
>>
File: jahanselfeeding.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
jahanselfeeding.gif
2MB, 320x200px
When will they create an aqueous OS that can change it's form

OS Cookie transforms into OS Fortune

like an Ubuntu wants to transform into a Mint but can't
>>
>>56495899
because xorg is only one of many available x servers
>>
>>56495899
That's a pretty good question. Maybe because of Wayland?
>>
>>56495921
Just backup your home partition and reinstall, senpai.

Ubuntu sucks when upgrading between versions
>>
>>56495921
Upgrading to a newer distribution without an reinstall is usually buggy from my experience. Tried ubuntu, fedora, debian, never worked perfectly (in some cases just creating a new user and moving personal files to it worked but that means default configuration)
>>
>>56495814
I've also heard good things about Manjaro.

Xubuntu is pretty great anon. Also remember that you can just install other wms, so if you get tired of xfce, you can just switch over to something else. I'm running openbox and love it.
>>
So i have a laptop with nvidia external gpu setup.

Will it work with Ganoo/Linux? Antergos to be precise, it's the only distro that caught my attention.
>>
how dangerous is it to install ssh server?
>>
>>56495931
Well testing / unstable installation can be painful if you upgrade from stable or use an older install cd.
Once you read the installation/update instructions PROPERLY its easy, but most people never actually do this and they call Debian unnecessary because they can one-click-install Ubuntu (>>56494822)
>>
>>56495988
...not at all
just look up how to use SSH keys and use a port that is not the default
>>
>>56495952
>Just backup your home partition and reinstall, senpai.
There where nothing except a user with a ssh key there. What's important are all config files in /etc/. At that point I feel it's better to just set everything up manually again.
>>56495964
Yeah dist upgrades sucks. I find just updating a program can fuck up its configuration due to new options being introduced breaking everything. Wish there was a better alternative than config files and that maintainers had a better strategy to upgrade config files without killing your current setup.
>>
Is there a login manager I can pair with i3 other than SLiM? It doesn't seem to be developed any more
>>
>>56495988
just disable password auth (use keys)
>>56496009
i wouldn't bother changing ports unless you're anal about keeping your logs clean, it's just more pain on your part needing to manually change the port number each time you set a client up and only stops the laziest of scanners (which are gonna get booted each time anyway since they're trying to get lucky with common passwords, which is meaningless when password auth is disabled)
>>
>>56496045
lightDM?
>>
>>56495988
Shouldn't be a problem. I follow this https://plusbryan.com/my-first-5-minutes-on-a-server-or-essential-security-for-linux-servers
>>
>>56496072
Nice find m8, thanks for sharing
>>
File: DeepinScreenshot20160908114543.png (373KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DeepinScreenshot20160908114543.png
373KB, 1920x1080px
How can I get this file? The steam page only tells me how to figure out that I don't have it
>>
Just installed arch with ratpoison.
Now can't do shit. Tell me again why do you brag about working with this wm?
>>
>>56496387
>arch
found your problem
>>
>>56496343
>couldn't load .dll
>linux
Kek they didn't even bother updating their asserts. I like that the installer also tried make a minidump file without having breakpad installed. And for your problem I have no idea. Maybe a PATH error. Try searching for it on your filesystem.
>>
>>56496343
https://github.com/curl/curl.git
>>
>>56496387
>arch with ratpoison
are you autistic
>>
So i got a gayming laptop form my brother, are there any distros that ignore the dedicated card so it consume less battery?
>>
>>56496562
If you mean like NVIDIA Optimus, look up Bumblebee. It's a program, not a distro. it's kind of a pain in the butt tho
>>
>>56496427
>>56496528
I started using arch 2 years ago, no regrets. I'm talking about ratpoison, what's so great about it? Its simple and robust but I see a big learning curve to actually make it work.
Is it still an option or just for autistic kiddos with nothing else to do?
>>
>>56496634
>arch
git gut kiddo
>>
>>56496634
It's for autistic kiddos, so it should be right up your alley
>>
>>56496483
I already have this installed
>>
>>56493737
What kind of retard asks this sort of question?
>>
>>56496691
A friend who is asking a friendly question in the friendly gnu/linux thread.

>>>/out/
>>
I've installed Antergos with GNOME and have some minor bugs like screen brightness not working and just don't really care for the look and feel of it. Is there an easy way to change my DE and WM or would I be better off reinstalling? Also recommend me a DE and WM for a noob. I'm interested in ricing but would like something that works from the start.
>>
Does anyone here srsly use vi or emacs?
Why would you use that, while programming most of the time you need to alt tab to search on google anyway
text of a program is not highlighted
>>
> use xmobar
> looks nice enough and informs me
> if I load a fullscreen program (like mplayer) it blanks xmobar after I close it

I'm so close to having everything I want. How do I fix this?
>>
>>56496789
>would like something that works from the start
KDE
Xfce
>>
I installed manjaro and sound is much quieter than on windows.
On windows I had realtek driver installed, maybe that is the issue?
>>
I can't really think where else to ask this since the rest of /g/ isn't that useful these days, but can anyone here explain to me how C++ can benchmark faster than C at the same problem? I've heard this claim a few times now and I can't wrap my mind around it.
>>
>>56496825
Most of us who are professional devs have several monitors. I have two and that's abnormally minimalist. One screen for the text editor, the other screen for resources like you mention. Extension in both vim and emacs can cover syntax highlighting and a number of other features.

IDEs are called for in some cases, particularly when your employer demands it, but as someone who has to jump between half a dozen languages on a daily basis for various projects I find vim is the best default.
>>
So I have a system with Mint and W10, got tired of W10 and wanted to install W8.1.

Long story short, I was unable to do so since I did a fresh install thus I find myself with Mint + empty partition where W10 will be.

Do I fuck up Grub if I install Windows AFTER having a Linux OS?
>>
>>56496825
It's like 40 year old technology lel
>>
>>56496825
Emacs+SLIME is really nice for lisp because of the repl, but otherwise Atom, sublime or whatever works well enough.

So definitely use emacs if you're doing lisp otherwise eh. I've heard Vi is good for C but I don't do much with C so I can't confirm or deny.
>>
>create a window manager theme
>don't use it yourself
>other people use it

It's kind of an abstract feel.
>>
File: 7866934634758.png (36KB, 810x629px) Image search: [Google]
7866934634758.png
36KB, 810x629px
Is there anyone else still using debian oldstable? I've been putting off updating for a long time because it's such a hassle
>>
>>56496825
You don't need to know anything about text editors like vi or emacs, but if you do then you can dramatically improve your general work-flow and make yourself a huge asset through devops which are going to be a terminal affair.

My pay grade jumped 20% after I got a good handle on vi because I was that much more productive at work. Once I became well known in the company for devops I left and did subcontract work so I could work from home and spend more time with my kids.

90% of people will never use text editors and 90% of people will never make a decent salary working from home. If that doesn't bother you or the effort is too much, forget it, nobody is going to chase you down. But if you want to be in that 10% living a better life and/or making more cheese then you should acquire text editor skills because they're extremely relevant to well-paid devs.
>>
>>56497160

>a text editor is good for specific languages
Why would Vi/Vim be good for C programming? What could C programming possibly demand that only a certain editor can provide it?
Kill yourself, myth perpetuating idiot.
>>
what is the best linux distro for someone who knows very little about linux
i wanna get into it desu
>>
>>56494761
languages are ruby and go, my background is in ruby and C++
>>
>>56497278
Linux Mint
>>
>>56497235
idk I read that it was years ago and then never really got into it. Or maybe it said it was designed to help C programmers, not sure. I loaned out the book.
>>
>>56497114
>>56497208
Not the guy who asked, just a beginner vim user. Barely gone through vimtutor a couple of times to become familiar with it.

What would you folks recommend in the way of plugins, syntax highlighting, tab-completion, config options, etc for vim? I'm on a vanilla install of it. Barely turned on the default syntax highlighting in my .vimrc

Also, how can I set the backup ~ and ~.un files to always go to a certain directory in my /home ? I hate it when they're littering all over the place.
>>
>>56497290
Seriously. If you don't have any idea, don't recommend things.
>>56497278
Get Ubuntu. Mint is the worst distro around, don't fall for it.
>>
File: 1465071013493.png (186KB, 1233x957px) Image search: [Google]
1465071013493.png
186KB, 1233x957px
>>56497290
>>
>>56497208
>I could work from home and spend more time with my kids.
How do you do that? I turn into an unproductive neet that works maybe 2 or 3 hours a day.
>>
>>56497354

>Also, how can I set the backup ~ and ~.un files to always go to a certain directory in my /home ? I hate it when they're littering all over the place.
Why don't you search the internet? THere are thousands of results when you look it up. Why do you need someone from on here to spoon-feed you?
>>
>>56496825
>>56497114
>>56497146
>>56497160
>>56497208
>>56497235

Same as any other job and tool, sometimes an old tool is useful or better than a new one, and sometimes not. IMHO most of the time it isn't, but then you get down into taste and which tools people like, preferences, etc. Shit gets muddy. Flame wars erupt.

I'm a simple webdev (cue mockery) tending my CRUD apps and small contract jobs. I've been doing it for about three years. It makes little difference what tool I use so I stick with Vim because I like it.
>>
>>56497413
Because I tried one of the solutions and it didn't work.
You don't have to answer if you don't want to, that's okay. I'm hoping somebody else will
>>
>>56497407
>>56497374
What's so bad about Linux Mint?
>>
>>56497452
Next OP should seriously have this among the copypasta things.

It's soul wrenching to watch people have to explain this so many times to so many people across so many threads
>>
>>56497408
I don't know. I just have a schedule and stick to it. It gets easier with repetition.
>>
>>56497354
I highly recommend "syntastic" for code linting, syntax highlighting is buildin with vim. Tab-completition is also builtin (CTRL+P).
>>
>>56495699
Installing gentoo is a decent excercise.
>>
>>56497452
Mint highjacks packages, which means they use package names, which are already in use in the Debian repos. It comes with loads of proprietary stuff out of the box, hacked together in a way that the system will break when the user updates specific program, so they decided to simply blacklist these packages, included: the linux kernel. This is actually a huge security flaw since Mint users woun't get security updates for blacklisted packages.
>>
>>56497611
What if I use it in a VM?
>>
im just gonna install fedora desu
>>
>>56497632
VM is okay. Don't get me wrong, you can use it for a while and play around with it, but I wouldn't recommend it as daily driver.
>>
>>56497634
fedora is alright, you just have to install rpmfusion packages and fedy for fonts and codecs
>>
>>56497611
right, yeah, that is pretty bad.
>>
>>56497611
Well, the user can enable these updates in the settings, but they are flagged as "dangerous" so nobody knows if things will break.

Here's an older article about it: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/11/answering-controversy-stability-vs-security-is-something-you-configure/
>>
>>56497730
When stability conflicts with security, something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.
>>
Why does it feel so good to guess something and get it right first time? I had an intuition that shift + letter would help navigate menuconfig faster and it turns out that's exactly what it does
>>
>>56497730
>>56497611
>>56497752
don't forget that people come straight outta botnet, using mint instead of windows is still an improvement
>>
>>56493714
Use ethernet and emerge systemd?
>>
>>56497785
In the same way suffering burns on half of your body is better than suffering burns on all of your body.
>>
Is it normal to be able to chroot into a system from a live CD without a password?
>>
>>56498030
yes

it's the same for any OS, user account password are only a block from within the context of that OS

if you want to password-protect the actual files outside of that context, use filesystem encryption
>>
>>56498030
Of course. The opposite would be stupid.
>>
Why is the Gentoo wiki so godlike?

>literally helps you daemonise a terminal
>>
>>56498211
Because gentoo is godlike.
>>
>>56498211
>daemonise a terminal
What's that?
>>
File: 1466015015428.jpg (77KB, 586x493px) Image search: [Google]
1466015015428.jpg
77KB, 586x493px
>>56498284
it's for people with ram below 512k
>>
File: 1470605278835.jpg (124KB, 676x673px) Image search: [Google]
1470605278835.jpg
124KB, 676x673px
Could someone bring this meme up to date? :^)
>>
What should I use to listen flac songs on my manjaro
>>
File: fug.png (17KB, 657x592px) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
17KB, 657x592px
fug
>>
>>56498451
vlc
>>
>>56498451
mpd
>>
>>56497663
>fedy
enjoy your broke system
>>
>>56498454
Well done.
>>
Will being adept in Linux get me a job?
>>
am I stupid or does the debian netinstaller not work from a zip disquette?
It keeps asking for a cd-rom, even though I booted it from stick and it should do the rest via netinstall. There doesn't seem to be an option to select the stick either.
>>
i recently installed titan quest ae gog version through wine and i don't have any text in menu or in game. i'm running 64bit antergos any help?
>>
File: costanza.png (545KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
costanza.png
545KB, 640x640px
>>56498646
>zip disquette
>>
>>56489349
answer pls
>>
I had this function in zsh which meant that I could get completions for the kill command, how would I do the same thing for bash?
zstyle ':completion:*:*:kill:*:processes' list-colors '=(#b) #([0-9]#)*=0=01;31'
>>
>>56499039
No it's not common, something is wrong.
>>
File: 1452726353113.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452726353113.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>56498859
>he doesn't say zip disquette
>>
>>56498646
seriously, I tried the netinstall and the CD install now and they both ask for a goddamn CD
why do they do that when the installation was booted from stick?
I don't even have a CD burner, where do I get a proper bootable medium for this shit distro now?
>>
>>56499230
What did you use to create the USB?
>>
>>56498646
Never asked for cd for me, read the (fucking) installation manual.
>>
>>56499419
the fedora live usb creator.
it worked for fedora and gentoo.
>>
got this when trying to upgrade today

what do i do so nothing breaks? i tried to upgrade nvidia-utils and nvidia individually but it doesn't work

ive already managed to upgrade nvidia-libgl
>>
>>56499230
You downloaded the wrong version.
>>
Just installed Fedora 24 as my first linux distro. Anything I should set up other than the gnome-tweak-tool/Fedy stuff?
>>
This is my psensor readings. I'm a noob when it comes to tower PCs (I've used laptops for most of my life) so can someone pls tell me if these temperatures are in the safe range.

I plan on using this machine to run a lot of OCTAVE code on the GPU so it will get hot...

Thanks for any advice /fglt/
>>
>>56499539
>arch
>nvidia
>lts
>kde
found the problem
>>
File: 1470747601493.png (220KB, 564x459px) Image search: [Google]
1470747601493.png
220KB, 564x459px
>>56499539
seems to work for me
>>
>>56499572
Fedy isn't necessary. Just install rpm fusion and freetype-freeworld, then enable lcdfilter in the Xresources file.
>>
>>56499612
removed nvidia-lts and its working now

now i wanna know why you're so against it
>>
>>56499688
unless you've been living under a rock you'd know
>>
>>56499688
>removed nvidia-lts and its working now
I >>56499615 am still downloading.. german internet is so fucking slow
>>
>>56499700
yes i have now can you link your article/whatever the fuck you're paranoid about?
>>
can I install a 64bit linux on a system with x86 cpu if said cpu supports 64bit address extenstion?
I got 64bit loonix to run in a VM on a 32bit windows host.
>>
how do I remove SElinux from fedora?
call me paranoid, but I don't trust software developed by the NSA.
>>
>>56499539

>archlinuxfr
You remove an unsupported 3rd party repository.
>>
is the IRC still active? it says the channel is invite only and I don't see anything about that in the OP. I'm a /g/ newfag
>>
>>56500029
how do i remove the archlinuxfr from pacman?
>>
File: crazy person.png (203KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
crazy person.png
203KB, 640x360px
How does wget work?
Because when I download something with it, The file I get is named exactly as the link.
While if I download through a browser, the file is renamed.
Why is that and how to achieve it in wget?
>>
>>56500011
You're using Fedora. You're NSA's bitch
>>
>>56500011
Then pick a different distro.
>>
>>56500011
SELinux is secure. it's been heavily audited since it was made free software
>>
>>56500109

The same way you added it.
>>
>>56500207
WHO AUDITS THE AUDITERS
>>
>>56500109

>average arch user
Let me guess, you installed it by following a shitty infographic and just blindly typed in stuff.
>>
>>56500122
use -O or
--output-file=

wget 'https://example.com.ru/totally-not-a-virus.exe' -O 'cute-tranny-shagging-horse.mp4.exe'
>>
>>56500248
>as i wiped my cheese-covered fingers off on my lap, my excitement could not be more excited by the fact that i, a fat NEET with a love live blueray collection, just installed one of the most superior distros in the world
>then i blindly tapped more keys and continued to follow the infographic as my doritos cooled off in the corner of my table

yep, you got me right there
>>
>>56495799
Fatrat. Seamonkey has an integrated download manager
>>
>>56500109
How did you include it?
Why did you include it?
>>
is there a command line toy that overlaps two text outputs like layers in gimp can overlap?
if nothing similar exists that means I have a new hobby project.

to clarify:
it should act like
overlap input1 input2

to produce output like in pic related
>>
>>56500122
man wget
wget --help

seriously ?
hint: theres an option to get the filename from the header and a option to specify the output filename
protip: you can even search the manpage or use grep to get to the part you need without reading everthing
>>
>>56500227
End users
>>
>>56500227
3 letter agencies
>>
>>56499520
RTFM and use dd, cp or win32diskimager
>>
>>56500431
code it anon
>>
>worried my fail2ban setup isn't working
>check back 14 hours later
>3 bans
Phew it appears to be working. Those are only ssh bans. Does fail2ban by default also protect against other stuff like port scanners?
>>
>>56500599
>he doesn't use ssh keys
>>
>>56500647
>but I do
>I even disabled root login from ssh and password login
>>
>>56500599
do u use failban on your VPS or your local machine?
>>
I'll ask once more because I didn't get an answer a few days ago:

Should your local user (sudo) and root passwords be actually strong when it's just a home computer / laptop and not a server people will be connecting to?

I may be being a bit naive here, but I just can't see the benefit in making your local passwords actually strong but inconvenient to type in when physical security isn't really a concern (I have no fears of anyone breaking into my apartment anytime soon in a large building with guards), and my laptop's hard drive is encrypted

Again, I'm not arguing about online passwords, those are obviously supposed to be strong or under a password manager. I'm talking about local-ass passwords that you use to install updates and packages and whatnot.
>>
>>56500489
>theres an option to get the filename from the header
If you're taking about -o then
>Use of ‘-O’ is not intended to mean simply “use the name file instead of the one in the URL;” rather, it is analogous to shell redirection: ‘wget -O file http://foo’ is intended to work like ‘wget -O - http://foo > file’; file will be truncated immediately, and all downloaded content will be written there.
>>
File: 1454839520569.jpg (1MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1454839520569.jpg
1MB, 3000x4000px
>>56500431
$ cat overlap
#!/bin/sh

f1="$1"
f2="$2"

a=$(wc -l < "$f1")
b=$(wc -l < "$f2")
c=$((a/b))

cat "$f1" | sed "${c},\$d"
cat "$f2"
cat "$f1" | sed "1,${c}d"

$ cat top 
i
ii
iii
iiii
iiiii
iiiiii
iiiiiii
iiiiiiii
iiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiii

$ cat kek
penisvagina
vaginapenis

$ overlap "top" "kek"
i
ii
iii
iiii
penisvagina
vaginapenis
iiiiii
iiiiiii
iiiiiiii
iiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiii

There.
>>
>>56501091
Use it on a VPS. The plan is to setup VPN on it so I can cheese netflix into believing I live in murrica. I want it secure though.
>>
>>56501226
Well done, anon
I wish to be a script wizard like you someday
>>
>>56501170
>Should your local user (sudo) and root passwords be actually strong when it's just a home computer / laptop and not a server people will be connecting to?
no
>>
>>56501268
Okay. And follow-up question:

When someone gains physical access to your computer, and the hard drive isn't encrypted, it's basically gg from there right? It's always possible to change the root and user passwords from tty?
>>
>>56501205
wget(1)

--content-disposition
If this is set to on, experimental (not fully-functional) support
for "Content-Disposition" headers is enabled. This can currently
result in extra round-trips to the server for a "HEAD" request, and
is known to suffer from a few bugs, which is why it is not
currently enabled by default.

This option is useful for some file-downloading CGI programs that
use "Content-Disposition" headers to describe what the name of a
downloaded file should be.
>>
>>56501315
if someone has physical access to your computer and the hdd isn't encrypted you can easily overwrite the passwords with a simple texteditor
>>
>>56501255
Just some math and sed.

To get the center:
line numbers of file a / line numbers of file b

Then just cat the first half of file a, file b and then the second half of file a.

For sed, read this: http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html
This article is magic.
>>
>>56501401
Is the same thing possible on Windows machines if the hdd isn't encrypted?
>>
>>56501445
ofcourse
>>
>>56501226
Autism fix.
#!/bin/sh

f1="$1"
f2="$2"

a=$(wc -l < "$f1")
b=$(wc -l < "$f2")
c=$((a/b))

sed "${c},\$d" < "$f1"
cat "$f2"
sed "1,${c}d" < "$f1"
>>
File: 1450200885863.png (406KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1450200885863.png
406KB, 601x601px
>dozens of times previously
>plug in kobo ereader into usb port on my laptop to put new ebooks on there
>works perfectly and it just pops up after I give it permission to connect
>fast forward to today
>plug in
>nothing happens
>nothing pops up
>not in mnt
>only able to charge off my pc
AHHHHHHH I DIDNT CHANGE ANYHTING
>>
>>56501170
>Should your local user (sudo) and root passwords be actually strong when it's just a home computer / laptop and not a server people will be connecting to?
If you have a decent firewall in your router I'd say no. I however more or less treat my local network as if the computers can't be trusted. After all people visiting expect me to give out the wifi password and I'm not really in a position to decline.
>>
I just noticed there is config.bin file in my home directory.
Is it safe to delete it?
>>
>>56501466
Okay, thank you

Oh and one more thing - if this is the case, that by gaining physical access to a machine you can just circumvent the passwords, how do sysadmins with server racks manage to deal with the possibility of someone just waltzing into their computer and totally fuck their shit up?

Just by having tight physical security on site?
>>
>>56501315
It's gg regardless of password length without encryption.
>>
Is there a way to disable the hardware eject button on a dvd drive in linux?
>>
>>56501535
How can I tell if my firewall is 'decent' on my router?
And yes, I suppose that's true.
>>
>>56501674
If it's on by default. Honestly closing all ports you wont ever need and NAT is going to protect the average user's network from Chinese hackhurrs. I'd worry more about the router's default password being leaked from your ISP or manufacturer. And that the management interface on the router provided by your ISP is horribly secured.
>>
>>56501788
who the fuck uses a router provided by his ISP or is retarded enough to keep the default password ?
>>
>>56501788
talking about this, I've been meaning to set up my SSH to work externally from my network. It works locally but it would seem that my ISP doesn't assign me an actual public IP that I can use. When I brought up my troubles in doing this, someone said a few weeks ago "something something evil global NAT" or something to that effect.

Is there any hope for me asides from buying an actual public IP from these bastards?

>>56501839
M-me, senpai. i'll go change the default password when I get home
>>
>>56501577
>disable the hardware eject button on a dvd drive
http://askubuntu.com/questions/571068/how-do-i-disable-laptop-optical-drive-eject-button-and-assign-eject-to-a-keyboar
>>
>>56501788
>>56501863
Clarifying, my SSH port or even custom ports always appear closed to nmap from outside networks, despite me allowing them on my router's firewall and in my ufw rules for both computers
>>
>>56501863
>but it would seem that my ISP doesn't assign me an actual public IP that I can use
wtf ? what does whatsmyip.org say what your public ip is ? (just obfuscate the last 2 bytes it you are paranoid)
>>
>>56501955
It always gives me the same one, 201.141.xxx.xxx , but the problem is that, like I mentioned here >>56501947 , it doesn't obey firewall exceptions or anything of the sort that I set up locally, so I'm inclined to believe it's some sort of ISP-generic-IP or something like that, that I can't control. So since I can't control the rules, I can't SSH into it from outside
>>
>>56501839
I do but I use another password. I doubt it can protect me because the ISP have full remote control over it from another interface. If I plug something else in there my connection gets blocked. They use a whitelist. The router also provide phone and IPTV services so losing that is an issue. I use a fanless powerful minipc with dual gigabit interfaces as gateway/firewall/vpn/adblocker.
>>
>>56501863
>Is there any hope for me asides from buying an actual public IP from these bastards?
Reverse SSH tunnel. You would probably need a VPS as a bridge to accomplish that.
>>
>>56493681
Amazon
>>
>>56501942
Thanks
>>
>>56502039
use the ISPs router as a modem and plug a "real" router/switch into it ?
>>
>>56502080
I'll look this up. Thank you anon
>>
>>56501492
>c=$((a/b))
needs actually a +1 since it's counting from 0
c=$((a/b+1))
>>
What's the best distro? I don't want to fall for the memes.
>>
>>56501955
>wtf ?
Having a NAT/reverse proxy is/was a common technique employed by some ISPs to save IP-address. With some people posting cheesy pizza and getting banned from half the internet the practise isnt' that popular anymore.

>>56502005
Check if you have IPv6. Otherwise you could probably call your ISP to have them unlock port 22. Otherwise just set your SSH server to listen on some other unblocked port. I'd bet more or less all ISPs also block port 25
>>
>>56502142
The one I (me) use
>>
>>56502093
What part of
>I use a fanless powerful minipc with dual gigabit interfaces as gateway/firewall/vpn/adblocker.
didn't you understand?
>>
File: 1462225146405.jpg (36KB, 727x412px) Image search: [Google]
1462225146405.jpg
36KB, 727x412px
>>56502142
Debian. We have the chicks.
>>
>>56502144
I checked with nmap. They were blocking basically every port except maybe 21 I think

I don't have IPv6. I guess I'll try contacting them. I'm afraid that I'm gonna be greeted by some guy that's gonna go "What's a Linux?" and have no idea what I need...
>>
>>56502144
>Otherwise you could probably call your ISP to have them unlock port 22
Also many ISPs block certain port ranges because you are a "private" customer. To unlock certain "server" port ranges they want you to upgrade to a business line.

>I checked with nmap. They were blocking basically every port except maybe 21 I think
You sure that isn't your router dropping the packages?
>>
>>56502142
Gentoo/Funtoo is honestly the best. Funtpo is a little better because of it being easier to install and being testing branch by default instead of having to recompile everything after switching.
>>
>>56502142
Ignore this guy: >>56502150 his distro is broken, insecure and basically SJW.
The one I'm using is the best.
>>
>>56502142
Ubuntu minimal, i3
>>
>>56502227
It honestly could be, but I have no idea why. Like I said, I opened up the ports I needed (22 and another random custom one, 7851) and they also were closed.

That's what I'm afraid of, that they're gonna ask me to upgrade my line just for basic port functionality (since I'm sure 99% of their userbase doesn't need this stuff)
>>
>>56502227
>Also many ISPs block certain port ranges because you are a "private" customer. To unlock certain "server" port ranges they want you to upgrade to a business line.
is that even legal ? who would agree to such a retarded contract ? thats like .. a half internet service.
>>
>>56502142
short beard: ubuntu
medium beard: manjaro
long beard: gentoo
female: debian or arch
>>
>>56502301
I wasn't asked. It's the ISP and the contract they have for the apartment I'm renting and that's that
>>
>>56502142
It's literally Fedora.
>>
>>56502142
Void. Sane autism between a better Arch and less timesink than Gentoo. The golden middle.
>>
>>56502337
Nobody is using Fedora except people who use it because nobody is using it.
>>
File: 1472587459351.jpg (35KB, 480x480px)
1472587459351.jpg
35KB, 480x480px
>>56495799
I am not sure why I laughed so hard to that haha
>>
>>56502289
>It honestly could be, but I have no idea why. Like I said, I opened up the ports I needed (22 and another random custom one, 7851) and they also were closed.
You need something to listen on the other side. Just forwarding 7851 in your router to your computer without anything listen on it will have your built in firewall drop/refuse the connection. Try setting your ssh server to listen to 7851. If that doesn't work you have an ISP that drops all packets that doesn't originate from you. And that is a bitch that requires you to VPN to VPS or do reverse ssh tunnel.

>That's what I'm afraid of, that they're gonna ask me to upgrade my line just for basic port functionality (since I'm sure 99% of their userbase doesn't need this stuff)
Yeah it might be in their ToS. Honestly though most ISP at least have some ports open because of multiplayer gaymen and shit.
>>
>>56502337
>see screenfetch
>it's always one of: gentoo, debian, arch, ubuntu, manjaro, mint
>sometimes void, devuan and funtoo
>once in a blue moon opensuse
>it's never fedora
>>
File: test (1)-001.webm (2MB, 492x492px) Image search: [Google]
test (1)-001.webm
2MB, 492x492px
>>56502363
Anybody else encounter these types of graphical glitches for video in chromium?
>>
>>56502416
>chromium
found your problem
>>
>>56502301
>is that even legal ?
Depends on country I guess. No one forces you to enter a contract with the ISP.
>who would agree to such a retarded contract ? thats like .. a half internet service.
There might only be one ISP providing services in that area. And yes it might be in their ToS. Historically blocking ftp, smtp, http etc ports was something that once upon a time was important to combat infected windows computers from spreading more e-AIDS and setting up pirate servers on home computers.
>>
>>56502387
Now that I remember, this is the setup I tried:

Desktop (SSH server) connected to home network
Laptop (SSH client) connected to external phone hotspot network

Open both 22 and 7851 ports on both the router rules and each computers' ufw rules(Both incoming and outgoing)

Start up nmap from my laptop and scan ports in Desktop public IP (which is not really public I think, like we mentioned before). Get closed ports (but no mention of 7851). Scan port 7851 specifically. It doesn't appear as closed, it appears as "filtered".

This "filtered" clue, can you make anything of it?
>>
>>56502433
But I locked myself into the chrome ecosystem back when a single tab in firefox would crash the whole browser. It might be fixed now but its going to shit and turning into a chrome knockoff
>>
File: 1472590044646.jpg (39KB, 329x461px)
1472590044646.jpg
39KB, 329x461px
Recommend me a distro
> Please no memes
> I have used mint
> Right now using ubuntu
> Decided to wipe the system because somehow I think I fucked up the package repository or someshit that I cannot install wine on this one for hours

> Fuck arch
>>
>>56502503
Four suggestions that might be right up your alley m8
>The
>One
>I'm
>Using
>>
>>56502503
Fedora
>>
>>56502467
>ufw
Stop using that shit please.
>>
>>56502526
>p-please tip your hat with me, i-it's fun! See?
>>
>>56502503
Go to the root of Mint and Ubuntu: Debian Sid.
>>
File: 1472662686935.jpg (90KB, 640x604px)
1472662686935.jpg
90KB, 640x604px
>>56502503
I'll download and install the first post
>>56502526
Okay I see the winner here. Let's roll
>>
>>56502536
Why? What's wrong with it? I thought it was just a sane front-end for iptables
>>
>>56502568
You're correct. Other anon is just stupid.
>>
>>56502467
Have you actually tried to connect to 7851 from the SSH client? What happened is basically you issue a SYN to that port and if the server does not reply, or replies with ICMP error : it means that the port is filtered. I'd say it's likely an IDS / stateful firewall blocking your request.
>>
>>56502565
and thus another tipper is born
truly a majestic sight
>>
What are my options for DAWs?
>>
>>56502578
Yes, I've tried connecting from the SSH client. The attempt timed out every time (whereas when connecting through the local network it was basically instant)
>>
>>56502568
iptables -I INPUT 1 -j ACCEPT

And ask to ufw if your firewall is still secured and not compromised.

That shit is coded by moronic people you should never use it.
>>
>>56502611
Did you use your external IP address?
>>
>>56502548
Well memed
>>
>>56502503
in the real world there are only 2 distros that are actually used: rhel/centos and debian.
so just pick one of them
>>
File: 1472721922150.png (15KB, 300x300px)
1472721922150.png
15KB, 300x300px
>>56502521
>>56502526
>>56502549
>>56502565
Before I wipe this system could you tell me the places to get a backup for ex i have these places in my mind:
> ~/
> ~/Documents
> ~/Downloads
> ~/Pictures
etc..
>>
>>56502653
>Not putting all your data in ONE folder.
>Smart
>>
>>56502549
don't tell a clueless beginner to use a unstable distro. at some point a dist-upgrade will fuck something up and beginners shouldn't have to deal with that.
>>
>>56502624
Yup, 201.141.xxx.xxx . I thought it was a dynamic IP but then I noticed that when resetting the router this didn't seem to change. Like I said earlier, this led me to believe it's a generic IP provided by the ISP.

>>56502619
Um, okay, I guess I'll try this when I get home
>>
>>56502653
drag and drop, cp, rsync,
>>
>>56502363
>>56502400
Why though? Because the hat meme scares off normies and the fact that it isn't needlessly obscure scares off autists?
Everyone says it's an intermediate distro, but I installed it easily and everything just werked.
>>
>>56502604
Buying a Mac. Linux options are incredibly weak compared to any of the major DAWs.
>>
>>56502653
how about you just don't format your fucking home partition ?
>>
File: 1472693950406.png (123KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1472693950406.png
123KB, 785x757px
>>56502736
stfu asshole i am still learning this be kind
>>
Recommend me a good distro for gaming.
>>
>>56502679
>Yup, 201.141.xxx.xxx . I thought it was a dynamic IP but then I noticed that when resetting the router this didn't seem to change. Like I said earlier, this led me to believe it's a generic IP provided by the ISP.
If that's the case you probably share the same IP with a few hundred customers. You can try calling them for opening ports but if you are behind an ISP wide NAT then you are fucked.

Option 2 that might be free is checking if there is a ipv6 enable option in your router. If not contact your ISP and see if they can hook you up with IPv6. I just realized I was using IPv6 like yesterday when I went to a whatismyip service and it showed a IPv6 address.
>>
>>56502843
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>56502843
windows
>>
Man, after using Linux so much, Windows 10 is a gift sent from God. I always had problems with software on Linux, I can't trust Kdenlive or RawTherapee not to crash and GIMP is slow as kek. Just wanted to say this :)
>>
>>56502889
MODS
>>
>>56502889
Thanks Ranjeet! 2 Rupees has been deposited into your Microsoft™ account.
>>
File: 1471885844956.jpg (194KB, 1280x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471885844956.jpg
194KB, 1280x1080px
>>56502889
>>
>>56502907
You guys do whatever you want :) I don't come here too often since I started using Windows again, I have more time for running and my hobbies. When I was using Linux I always checked new things, reddit, 4chan, news about kernel, etc. Lost so much time that I regret it. Sadly Linux is good just for some simple users. If you want to do something professional, it's a waste of time. I like Arch but even the fresh software has problems.
>>
>>56502853
Will do, I'll try my luck. Thanks for assisting me anon
>>
File: 1448295374981.jpg (31KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
1448295374981.jpg
31KB, 620x372px
>>56502889
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>56502959
>arch user
why am i not suprised ?
>>
>>56502979
As long as I can do my work without any problems, I'm fine with it. :) I gave Linux so many chances, still can't rely on it.
>>
New Thread: >>56503001
Meme edition.
>>
>>56502994
Because you are a faggit. I used Ubuntu for a long time, and Fedora. The Linux community is so shit. The Windows community is too but at least they don't attack themselves like fuck. What if I used just Ubuntu? What then? Community. A fucking joke.
>>
>>56502503
Fedora and Ubuntu are the only distros worth using. Sounds like it's time for you to try Fedora.
>>
>>56503037
Linux is a kernel. A kernel has no community.
>>
>>56503056
Linux is becoming more infect day by day. The problem is the community, it's full of retards and autists. There are good people who know what they are doing and don't talk shit but they are rare.
>>
>>56502965
Here's a link for reverse ssh tunneling.
>http://xmodulo.com/access-linux-server-behind-nat-reverse-ssh-tunnel.html
>>
>>56502304
My beard goes to my chest and I use gentoo.
>>
>>56493514
Just finished installing Mint on an HDD while a Windows 7 is running on another.

Unfortunally, I think the Grub is broken because I cant make it recognized that there is two OSs and give me the option of choosen what to use it.

Anyone whant to gib sum help to a noobie?
>>
>>56493681
Buy UNIX Power Tools, it the best desu senpai.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.