[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 22

File: 1472691929441.png (11KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1472691929441.png
11KB, 256x256px
Previously on: >>56493514

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
Stop memeing about Fedora, it's a fine distro.
>>
>>56503148
This is /g/ so you are on team Arch or team Debian, anyone else is trolling. Good luck newfriend.
>>
What's a good distro for an ARM Chromebook?
>>
>>56503260
Debian Jessie
>>
When will the >gnome 3 is bad [spoiler][/spoiler]meme end lads?
>>
>>56503365
When Gnome 3 stops being so bad.
>>
>>56503423
Wew lad.
>>
>>56503365
It's not bad, per se. But Nautilus isn't my idea of a good package manager. It seems locked down for ui tweaks. There are good things about it but not enough for me to use it as a daily driver.
>>
>>56503751
>Package
Meant file.
>>
Is there a graphical fan controler?
Jesus, i just want to control my fans.
>>
What are some noob things to do to set up/improve your system after a fresh linux install?
>>
>>56503901
>set up/improve your system after a fresh linux install
Nothing at all. I use Ubuntu and it's great out of the box.
>>
>>56503901
Replace it with Linux-libre.
>>
>>56503916
I've been reading a lot about fonts and font rendering being a pretty common complaint, do you feel that's a non-ubuntu issue? Just installed Manjaro, btw.
>>
>>56503972
Yes, non-Ubuntu fonts are garbage until tweaked.
>>
>>56503945
Freetard pls go.
>>
>>56504058
fuck off pajeet
>>
>>56504103
Stallmanists will never win.
>>
>>56503901
What do you want to do with it? What are you working with? Your question is open ended to the point of being too broad.
>>
File: 1445922605499.png (19KB, 931x969px) Image search: [Google]
1445922605499.png
19KB, 931x969px
If Arch is meant to be simple, why doesn't is come with a simple installer?
>>
>>56504148
>If Arch is meant to be simple
[Citation needed]
>>
>>56504148
Because it's a troll distro. Install Debian.
>>
>>56504148
this, they are tricking their users with buzzwords like "simple" and "lightweight", but it actually isn't, packages are bloated, kernel is bloated, complicated install for normalfags <<< archfags think this is actually an archivement
>>
>>56503001
wtf is that pic OP?
>>
>>56504147
Just using it as a shitposting device, really. But what I meant was, what are some of the things YOU would do after a fresh install of your favorite distro? Is there any go to software you immediately would install? Configuring the de/wm? Idk, I'm a noob like I said. Just looking for recommendations on how to dig into the system a bit, I guess.
>>
>>56504332
png
>>
i got a refurbished thinkpad coming in the mail and i'm going to install debian on it. i'm going to be using it for programming away from home base. what editor should i use, vi, gedit, or emacs? http://www.strawpoll.me/11184492
>>
File: 1472614495935.png (186KB, 245x436px) Image search: [Google]
1472614495935.png
186KB, 245x436px
>>56504348
>>
>>56504335
Ok maybe I wasn't concise. What distro are you running/planning to run? What de/wm do you plan to/use?
>>
>>56504148
Simple in this case means "without features" or "the least amount of work for the developers".
>>
>>56504058
>>56504142
Fuck off troll.
>>
>>56504377
ed is the standard text editor
>>
>>56504382
Manjaro w/ xfce and whatever the default wm is, Xfwm4 I believe. Definitely open to trying other wm's, though. Tiling looks cool in screen shots, at least.
>>
>>56504200
>>56504227
>>56504390
Good to see the Arch memes are alive and strong.
>>
>>56503202
>thinking gentoo is as meme and is not actually the best distro around
>>
Can you change text size depending on what keyword it is and use a monospace font in vim? Can it be done in emacs. Disregarding carpal tunnel syndrome is emacs better suited for software development than vim?
>>
>>56504377

Here are some advice to get you going:

To edit a file, type "ed <filename>"
End all commands with an <enter>
To view the contents, type ",p"
To view a few lines around your current location, type "--,++p"
To go to the next line, type "+" (or simply press Enter without typing anything)
To go to the previous line, type "-"
To insert text, type "a". Give the text to be inserted. End with a "." (dot) alone on a line.
To append something to the end of file, use "$a".
To edit text on a line, type "s/oldtext/newtext/"
If you get lost, type a "." (dot). If inserting, it will take you into command mode; if in command mode, it shows the current line.
ed reports errors by "?". Type "h" to get an error message (does not work with all vi's).
To delete a line, type "d".
To search for some text, type "/text/".
When done editing, give the command "w", then "q".
>>
>>56504475
Do any Linux distros even distribute ed anymore?
>>
>>56504423
Tiling is fine if you don't mind a setup that looks like it came from the distant past/like ricing the shit out of your setup to make it look like a cohesive ui. I'm speaking from experience.

Can't say with Manjaro, I use vanilla Arch. usually I just reinstall any programs I would normally use, copy any configs from my backup and go. I usually install

>Smplayer
Ui for Mplayer
>Pcmanfm
A file manager I like
>Mpd + Mpc + Ncmpcpp
A cli music player
>Urxvt
A terminal emulator I like
>Compton
For compositing

That and I usually download icons I like, and a gtk theme that I enjoy.

But I must stress that you should experiment with different things and find out what makes you happy. There's plenty of choices for any of the things I listed. Pick for yourself.

Xfce is really straightforward and easy to use. It can be configured and all that, and you can always install something else if you like. The only thing about linux is that every ui has its strengths and drawbacks.
>>
>>56504564
mint seems to have it, just checked
>>
>>56504461
Just use evil-mode or viper-mode in emacs if you want vi-like bindings.
>>
>>56504451
>thinking anything besides Ubuntu, which works out of the box without tweaks, is worth the time wasted setting up
>>
I installed gentoo on my my new machine. How do I play vidya games?
>>
Any Icons or themes you guys would suggest. Using mint with MATE right now
>>
What web browser doesn't suck?
>>
>>56504650
>mint
I think themes are a minor problem here.
>>
>>56504615
I like modifier key schemes better personally because they feel more logical but sometimes emacs really go retarded. Just wondering if emacs has that little extra making it a better faux IDE than vim for developing. I know it's probably futile to ask since it fits under editor war but I'll make a try.
>>
>>56504658
GNU IceCat
>>
>>56504658
Qutebrowser I think, Chromium
>>
>>56504659
What's a major problem?
>>
File: wojak_linux.jpg (10KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
wojak_linux.jpg
10KB, 275x275px
>>56504659
>memes
>>
>>56504692
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
File: spidersleep.png (486KB, 778x617px) Image search: [Google]
spidersleep.png
486KB, 778x617px
Does using WINE make my system more vulnerable?
>>
>>56504711
If you use it to run proprietary programs, yes.
>>
>>56504618
You're not wrong.
>>
>>56504711
Windows viruses are not so likely to affect you. They won't be able to propagate.
>>
>>56503001
I needed to custom compile a kernel for graphics support. What can I do to make it run faster or more efficiently? Anything I can omit? This is a Dell Latitude D620 (Core 2 Duo, 64-bit).
>>
>>56504148
I like the slight transparency
>>
>>56504658
GNU IceCat as previously mentioned. Secure defaults, approval by the most privacy and freedom friendly organization.
>>
>>56504435
>Good to see the Arch memes are alive and strong.
it should be
Good to see the Arch meme is alive and strong.
go back to school, your grammar sucks
>>
>>56504790
>>56504675
I'm on Gentoo and IceCat isn't supported by Portage anymore. What did they fuck up?
>>
>>56504618
This is a meme thread, stop spreading good information.
>>
Reminder we have new content on the two threads over /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (NEW CONTENT)
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097

Ported videogames (NEW CONTENT)
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928
>>
>>56504806
>I dislike the manner in which he pluralized something I consider singular
>This means his grammar is poor
Is that where you got your false sense of superiority?
>>
If you need to check a USB for malware, how do you go about it without compromising your GNU/Linux system?

Assuming it's not just Windows malware, assuming it's one of those random USB's dropped at a hacker convention that is obviously ready to exploit something.

It's just curiosity, I don't actually have a random USB dropped at a hacker convention.
>>
>>56504902
mount it with noexec.
Even then, nothing is going to run unless you open it like an idiot.
>>
>>56504902
give it back tyrone
>>
>>56504902
how is it going to do any harm without knowing your su password?
>>
>>56504821
The gentoo maintainers are just lazy. Install yourself http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/38.8.0/
>>
>>56504923
setuid/setgid bit.
>>
>>56504902
I'd make an offline copy of everything. Plugin the USB device and then do an offline compare of files with the offline copy to ensure no exploit executed.

>>56504917
It may use an exploit that gives zero fucks about your noexec or you mounting anything.

>>56504923
Privilege escalation exploit
>>
>>56504970
>It may use an exploit that gives zero fucks about your noexec or you mounting anything.
Do you understand how operating systems work?
>>
File: Kiesza.jpg (157KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kiesza.jpg
157KB, 1280x720px
Music for this thread, Kiesza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnoz5uBEWOA
>>
>>56504670
I used to use vim, but recently started using emacs.

Emacs is more of a IDE than text editor (I think, I haven't used a IDE). I find it easier to manage a lot of buffers at once. You can run a shell, a scheme, python and haskell interpretor, find and grep files, image previews, display pdf files etc. I can now just have emacs maximised and it has everything I need.

It has a lot of features. But vim is more popular. People would argue that vim 'does one thing and does it right'.

If you are seriously worried about RSI, I assume you already use the caps locks key as control?
>>
>>56504475
>having to type keybinds when you open the TEXT EDITOR, to even be able to edit text

Yeahno
>>
>>56504992
are editor wars not allowed here? darn. I can say that switching caps lock and ctrl does help a lot, and just taking periodic brakes from programming can also do wonders (there is a package for emacs that reminds you to take periodic brakes, apparently scientific).

I think it has more to do with proper typing posture than anything Emacs related
>>
Installing Debian alongside Windows 10. What's the minimum size I should make the partition/swap? Have 32GB of memory. Installing it onto a 512GB NVMe drive that's around half full. Planning on using several other NTFS drives as shared.
>>
>>56504925
Aight senpai
>>
>>56504989
>>
>>56504985
Do you? You haven't stated that you prevent the device from showing up as a block device. At that point code has executed with input from the USB device. This means the USB device could be designed in a such way it exploits the code interrogating it.
>>
>>56505026
>having to change to INSERT MODE to even be able to edit text
Yeahno

also, you can just use
emacs -nw file.txt
>>
>>56505057
>having to memorize switches to be able to open a text file to edit
>>
>>56505057
>
emacs -nw file.txt

my nigga, that is in my ratpoison kebinds
>>
>>56504574
Ok cool, thanks for the input on tiling wm's and software recommendations anon.
>>
>>56505040
debian can fit on 10GB.
>>
Maybe we should make recommendations directed to normies too. There is a lot more new users coming that are not programmers or sysadmins, and they use gui music players and office suites.
>>
>>56504992
I don't really use vim or emacs for developing. I used emacs over 2 decades ago at school on some sun workstations and though it was OK. Since then I've been stuck with visual studio and more recently QT creator for C++. I don't really like qt creator because it has poor and slow auto completion for C++ and it's too infested with QT.

And the experience I have with vim is editing config files. I find that it's clunky and not having intuitive shortcuts. All dev environments nowadays run a GUI so I don't see the appeal in deving in a console because people had to 40 years ago. Emacs appears to be better than vim when it comes to turning it into a faux IDE.
>>
>>56505075
There's more to it than that to be sure. Tiling wms aren't bad though don't misunderstand me. It's just that some require a certain amount of knowledge for you to edit.
>awesome
>dwm
>xmonad
while others are editable in plain text.
>i3
>spectrwm
They're lightweight but aren't as feature friendly as a de. But keep in mind a de is just a set of programs that use common theming and are created to function in tandem. There are plenty of programs that use gtk/qt theming so you aren't bound to using any given one. You can even mix and match like having xfce with xmonad as a wm instead of xfwm4. Just don't go too far down the rabbit hole ricing. It's a time waster, and teaches you next to nothing but how to appreciate trial and error.
>>
What's your preferred music player? I'm using RhythmBox and it gets the job done. I was used to foobar2000 on Windows and was a big fan of that.
>>
File: serveimage.png (8KB, 220x162px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
8KB, 220x162px
So, I bought a new Nvidia card and I installed the drivers from Nvidia's site and now when I resume the computer from sleep, everything's messed up and I need to go into console and type reboot to actually quit the damn thing because everything's so unresponsive.

Anyone know how to fix this? :(
>>
>>56505251
I use Audacious with the winamp skin for a gui player. You get to see the playlist like you want and more. Comfy.
>>
>>56505040
can you even dual boot windows 10? i thought it didn't allow it
>>
>>56505251
I heard DeaDBeeF is the preferred music player for foobar former users.
>>
>>56505251

Use mocp. Don't be a GUIcuck.

I used to be a huge foobar before going free-as-in-freedom. mocp has everything I liked about foobar and more.
>>
>>56505297
In order to dual-boot with win10 the only criteria is that win10 be installed first. Efi boot is irritating that way.
>>
>>56505123
>Maybe we should make recommendations directed to normies too
no. Last time someone made a recommendation picture it was shit and they couldn't stop recommending bloated / buggy / shit tier stuff.

Just tell them to install fedora or opensuse, those distro should come with everything they need.
>>
will making an alias "logout" for gnome-session-quit mess up anything? i'm new to linux
>>
>>56505409
Ubuntu is better.
>>
File: 1434296412112.png (331KB, 741x720px) Image search: [Google]
1434296412112.png
331KB, 741x720px
Does KDE even have salvation? I've been using Arch with KDE on my desktop, but I'm one week of my home and using Mint with Cinnamon on my laptop.

It just feels so much faster and smooth. What is wrong with KDE?
It feels like wasted potential.
>>
>>56505723
KDE is too buggy and bloated. I used to use Plasma, but changed over to i3 after I learned that reliability is better than eye-candy (and unity across computers is pretty nice too).
>>
If I install Debian alongside Windows 10 in EFI mode, will dual-booting be possible automatically? I thought that GRUB was BIOS only. Is there any configuration necessary or does it hold my hand?
>>
I just installed a fresh gnu/linux OS onto my laptop after not using it as anything but a server for a long while; am I crazy in thinking wget is supposed to verify SSL certs? Every single ssl scheme I try I get "unable to locally verify the issuer's authority". As far as I know it "just werked" assuming you had a functional install of wget/openssl.

Same problem with curl. Firefox and the likes are fine though, I thought it was my system time being off, but nope.
>>
>>56505763
You don't have to do jack shit.

>Windows 10 installed on EFI mode
>Free up space from Windows partition
>Install Debian on said partition (feel free to make your own partitions, just not EFI, since it will share it with Windows)
>GRUB is configured automatically at the end of Debian install
>Reboot
>IT JUST WERKS
>>
>>56505723
it is common knowledge that KDE is pretty bad, extremely resource heavy, buggy, and bloated

>>56505753
I use i3 on my laptop but GNOME on my desktop. I'll use i3 on my desktop too when I can work out certain extra quirks in my config, it's really amazing to have your own custom setup that works just the way you want it to
>>
how do i make the console launch on login? debian is killing me with having to click on activities and then click the terminal icon
>>
>>56505970
>ctrl+alt+F1
Thank me later
>>
>>56506060
do i look like an acrobat to you?
>>
>>56506098
kek, maybe try adding the terminal to your xinitrc
>>
i really don't want to dual boot windows 10 on my laptop, but i currently record music on my windows 10 desktop with an interface that's finnicky as is. do you expect the drivers to work with wine?
>>
>>56506138
Nope, not really. But you're welcome to try if you have the time to invest (or waste)
>>
>>56505970
You have a program called "Tweak Tool". Open it, on the left tab select Startup Applications, and add gnome-terminal. Voila.
>>
>>56506144
i googled it and i see people talking about a different focusrite interface saying it "just works" and you don't need any drivers because it's class compliant. is that a load of communist bullshit? idk what it means
>>
>>56505970
>>56506157
(assuming you're using GNOME, of course, which it sounds like you are)
>>
why doesn't /g/ have its own linux distro
>>
>>56506172
not sure if you stereotyped me as using gnome because i seem like a newfag but you're right and this works, thanks!
>>
>>56506166
I really have no idea what *you* are talking about. I'm just saying in general: if you're married to some software that's exclusive to Windows, and you can't do without it and none of the natively-available alternatives on Linux are of use to you, then you're gonna have to invest some time just to be able to know if it will run well (or even at all) on Wine or a virtual machine. And that's never a guarantee.

So I'm just giving you a heads up.

>>56506204
No I didn't stereotype you, don't worry. I only guessed because you said "Activities" and that's a GNOME thing. I use it too.
>>
>>56503001
what do I do if I want to fill a usb with random garbage
I think it has to do with the "dd" utility
>>
>>56506218
i'm saying that people on forums are saying the interface just works on linux. you plug it in, set it as audio input, and it works because it's class compliant. the official website says nothing about linux, but for mac it says you don't need any drivers because it's class compliant. i know that mac is more similar to linux than windows, but i'm starting to think that my current set up (using it with windows) might be the shitty one. since artsy, musical software is pretty much the only field where it's more targeted to mac than windows
>>
>>56506183
Well, there is lo/g/os. I'd argue we should do something more noob friendly.

I have an idea, lets list for a winrefugee friendly set of programs. That way we see in what we differ for defaults in a distro.

>Window Manager
IceWM. This is more easy to use than openbox, or windows. Can look good too.

>Music Player
DeaDBeeF. Good looks means noob friendly.

>Video Player
VLC. Good defaults and doubles as a music player too.

>Office Suite
LibreOffice. It has a word clone, powerpoint, excel, etc.

>Ebook Viewer
Okular. Watch your books in a beautiful way. Is big on Qt/KDE dependencies but noobs aren't generally interested in that.

>Drawing
Krita. Made by artists this is a professional grade software, but easy to use.

>Image Editing (a.k.a. "photoshoping")
Inkscape. Want to cut, crop or add text? Easy and fast.

>Burning CD/DVD
Xfburn. Easy, fast, reliable.

>File Manager
PCManFM. All you need to browse your computer.
>>
>>56506304
Well then go ahead and try it and report back, why not
It's not like you have any actual work to be doing since you're on this laotian monk singing board
>>
>>56506336
it doesn't come in the mail until the 22nd so i'm just going to post about stuff that pops into my mind of what i plan to do on it till then lol

then i'll be asking for help on why everything is breaking
>>
>>56506306
I have a better idea
>wm
twin
>music player
aplay
>video player
mplayer + framebuffer
>office suite
sed
>ebook viewer
sed
>drawing
sed
>image editing
sed
>burning
dd if=/foo/bar of=/dev/srx
>file manager
ls/cd/rm/cp
>>
>>56506306
>Inkscape
why not gimp 2?
>>
>>56506358
Sounds like business as usual
Just don't shitpost please, we get more than enough of our fair share of that
>>
>>56506306
(cont.)

>Image Viewer
GThumb. A powerhouse of image organizer and not just an image viewer, triples as a video player.

>Web Browser
IceCat. Secure by default, can have firefox addons, also fast. Disable the LibreJS addon because it can be annoying for noobs.

>Chat, Voip (skype)
Pidgin. Can connect to all chats, videochats, etc.

>RSS Feeds
Liferea. Do yu read feeds? You should.

>IRC
HexChat. Be comfy on one of the oldest ways of shitposting.

>Search Engine
YaCy. Is time to leave the botnet, host your own search engine.

>Java
IcedTea. Launch java natively without losing freedom.

>Virtual Machine
Virtualbox. So you can start distro hoping.

>"Emulation"
WINE. To launch photoshop and play gaymes.

>Download Manager
JDownloader. Download from everywhere without recurring to the command line.

>Torrent
Transmission-gtk. Easy and reliable, don't need more.

>Accounting
GnuCash. So you can keep track of the bucks you are saving when using free software.

Do I miss anything?
>>
>>56506367
I actually use dd to burn cds myself.

>>56506373
Haven't try it yet.
>>
I'm trying to install a Java IDE on my Ubuntu laptop and I keep getting a "Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"" error. I've tried apt-get install unity-gtk-module and a few other things but I'm fairly new and lost
>>
File: latex.png (140KB, 523x480px) Image search: [Google]
latex.png
140KB, 523x480px
>>56506306
Office Suites are deprecated.

Use LaTeX.

(Seriously though, memeing aside, if you don't know LaTeX and you have to prepare documents for work/school, what the hell are you doing with your life)
>>
File: pizza anime.png (1MB, 1280x720px)
pizza anime.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>56506375
i'm too intellectual for shitposting

>tfw
>>
>>56506367
cont.
>image viewer
sed
>web browser
wget
>chat
irssi
>rss
sed
>irc
irssi
>search engine
wget + google
>java
you don't need it
>virtual machine
the os will be run under a zen hypervisor
>"emulation"
see above
>download manager
wget + sed
>torrent
wget + rtorrent
>accounting
sed
>>
>>56506425
Man, I love using LyX, which is a LaTeX.

>>56506433
Dude, you are hardcore.
>>
>looking up how to reformat an external hd for my future docking station
>find this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_FeRZNmLo
>>
>>56506456
*which is a LaTeX editor
>>
>>56505930
>IT JUST WERKS

Not this time.

Got the "Installation step failed: Failed to install GRUB boot loader."

Evidently this is a problem with GRUB/NVMe drives/Debian?
>>
>>56506591
I have installed Debian on EFI mode multiple times on many different machines
I have also installed Debian on EFI mode dualbooting with Windows 8.1 and 10 on EFI mode, also multiple times on many different machines

I can confirm that it IS supposed to Just Werk(TM)

Things to check:
First the obvious - are you sure Windows is installed in EFI mode?
Second - Let's look at your partitions.
>>
File: 2016-09-08_23-35-59.png (51KB, 1844x1073px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-08_23-35-59.png
51KB, 1844x1073px
>>56506613
It is most certainly installed in EFI mode. The 9.77GB partition is what I attempted to install Debian on. Was originally unallocated. Formatted as ext4 in "manual partition mode" in the installer. Left everything as default. Made no swap.
>>
>>56506668
Okay, let's see.
First alarm bell: Why do you have two EFI partitions? You're only supposed to have the one in Disk 1, the one that is 100 (well, 99) MB.
>>
>>56506306
>WM
dwm/herbsluft/awesome/openbox/etc

>Music Player
mpd + client of your choosing or cmus

>Video player
MPV

>Office Suite
Google

>Image editing
GIMP

>Burning
dd

>FM
Thunar/Naut
>>
>>56506714
That 200MB EFI partition on that old external is from a Mac I had ages ago. I actually unplugged that drive before I began installing.

Evidently this is what I need to do. Fingers crossed.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/280440/grub-and-lilo-both-fail-to-install-to-nvme-hard-disk-when-installing-debian
>>
>>56506433
>>java
>you don't need it
kek
>>
My apt-get update, upgrade, install and everything runs very very slow at first (it kind of freezes for 1/2 a minute) before trying to do something. I'm running debian and I tried with cleaning all PPAs and changing repos but nothing. I'm running debian sid, can anyone help me?
>>
>>56506668
>>56506714
Just re-read your post. Oh. You left everything as default. That's a bad idea when you're dualbooting, you're lucky you didn't get your computer's dick chopped off. Never trust the defaults on a partitioner if you already have something installed on your computer, you might get burned by that someday. Not on Debian, but someday with something else.

Here's what you should do. if at all possible, free up more space. 9.77 GB is really not enough for a solid install you're actually gonna use (Because I'm assuming you're gonna use it and not just fuck around with it - if you were just gonna fuck around with it for 5 minutes then I'd advice you just use a liveUSB). You'll want 25GB - 30GB for / (root) alone if you're planning to use your computer. And whatever else size you want for your /home partition, where you will keep your personal files and all that. Go back to the installer, delete the 9.77GB partition and leave it as free space. The legit one is the one Windows made, the 99 MB one in Disk 1. Your Linux is gonna share that with Windows, so there's no need to make your own, like the installer did for you because it didn't know any better.

Here's a handy guide I wrote for Debian partitioning. Tell me if it's useful
http://pastebin.com/Cr4XfwdS

>>56506824
And also try that, I guess.
>>
>>56506887
>>56506824
And portion of that post I read before reading the second one. If it was a Mac EFI and it wasn't even plugged in then disregard that bit about deleting the other EFI.
>>
I'm not getting any sound from my laptop's speakers and there's fizzing coming from the headphone jack, though I can get sound from it. Playback device is ALC3246.
>>
Im trying to install debian stable and at the part where it detects network hardware it says i need non free firmware to operate.

The missing firmware files are rtl_nic/rtl8411-2.fw

I googled it and didnt see that exact one. What do i do in this situation?
>>
>>56506887
>>56506939

Thanks man. I'll follow that guide. Definitely helpful. The NVMe/GRUB updating portions of the installation seem like they may offer a bit of a challenge, but we'll see how it goes. All of my shit is backed up in the cloud so worst case scenario doesn't involve a loss of data.
>>
>>56507084
Here you go champ. You need the realtek firmware.
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/all/firmware-realtek/download

If you have another USB handy, just download it, put the .deb file as is there, and plug it in while installing when it asks you for it.

If you don't have an extra USB handy, you're gonna need to do the installation while connected with an ethernet cord. And then install the Wi-Fi firmware by doing a simple 'sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install firmware-ralink'.

If you don't have an extra USB handy and no ethernet cord, then I recommend you try your luck with the unofficial net installer, which includes non-free firmware for convenience.

(Assuming you have 64bit architecture, if not, go back in the URL and find your architecture)
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/

This is what I recommend to everyone anyway. If you're super strict about only using free software though, you use the official one

https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>>
Debian is a bad beginners distro.
>>
>>56507147
It's a bad "omg what do i do now lol"-tier-beginner distro, because it assumes the user has the ability to look stuff up and generally Read the (Fucking) Manual.

It's a great distro if you're capable of doing both of those things mentioned above. You don't need super powers to use it aside from that
>>
does /g/ have the desire and know-how to come up with their own distribution? Would you install it if it was available?
>>
>>56507222
fuck no x2
>>
>>56507222
Nope x3

I like /g/ being like a bar I frequent. I don't want my home to be like that bar.
>>
>>56507222
most /g/ linux users know how a generic gnu/linux distribution is put together and that any distribution can be stripped down to its core and reworked with different software, kernel versions, toolkits, and anything else. With great difficulty you could migrate from one distro to another without ever actually reinstalling the base operating system.

So I really don't think /g/ gives a shit about having a distro. Most people pick the one based off of the package update frequency and release cycle they like and then strip it down and build it to what they want.
>>
>>56507253
This bar is filled with /v/ spillover and /pol/.
>>
>>56507222
What would a /g/ distro look like? What kind of software would be included?
>>
File: moebungo.png (383KB, 800x561px) Image search: [Google]
moebungo.png
383KB, 800x561px
>implying /g/ doesn't already have a distro
>>
File: 1465560844649.png (833KB, 731x512px) Image search: [Google]
1465560844649.png
833KB, 731x512px
>>56507298
I know, which is why /fglt/ is really the only thread I like in /g/. It tends to be more quiet here when the shitposters aren't awake
>>
Is it possible to emerge LightDM without gtk/kde use flags? I don't want either but it's forcing me to pick one.
>>
I can't find this kind of info anywhere so maybe you guys could help out. What are the limitations of using an old Linux kernel? Could I run, say, Debian Jessie or Fedora 24 with KDE or GNOME on an old kernel without issues? If not, what kind of issues? Do they apply to having an old version of X server as well?
>>
Hey guys, newfag here. I'm a CS major right now and I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop to dual boot between Linux and Windows(I was too lazy to do Arch, which I have on my desktop wayyy back home). Aside from my school work, which uses Git, what can I do in Linux? Thanks in advance for responding to my vague question
>>
>>56506306

>Window Manager
Mate, easy to use, elegant, lightweight

>Music & Video Player
VLC, Audacious Mplayer

>Office Suite
LibreOffice

>Image Editing
Gimp

>Pdf Editing
Inkscape, LibreOffice Draw, PDFMod

>File Manager
Caja
>>
>>56507856
Is that supposed to be a satire alluding to >>56507810? Because there's absolutely nothing of vague in it.
>>
>>56507856
You can be free of the botnet.

You can develop in C in a sane environment.

You can exercise finer control over your computer.

You can do pretty much anything that other computer users can do -- niche software and many games being the exception (though Wine and VMs mitigate this).
>>
>>56508022
I didn't read that post LOL, but by vague I meant that I really don't know what I can do on Linux - I have it all set up, and I'm using Vim at the moment, it's just a matter of figuring out what I can do
>>
>>56507856
>I just parked a GNU+Car in my garage alongside my Ford Fiesta
>Aside from driving to school, which uses the freeway, what can I do with this car?
>>
>>56508104
I guess you could put Car Spoiler: Greatly Offensive on your car. It's kind of fun.
>>
In other news

Did you guys know there's a literal Windows 7 general?

>>56505012

Jesus christ. RIP.
>>
>>56508022

Welcome to 4chan, the place where you'll find it difficult to tell if one's being sarcastic or unironically retarded.
>>
>>56508166
You're not going to enjoy life if you get ass blasted over things like this.
>>
>>56508104
>>56508176
Samefag. You may stop it now, this is a friendly thread.
>>
>>56508211
>samefag
oh you

But if the light-hearted ribbing is really too much for you, my actual samefagging response was >>56508048

Can we still be friends?
>>
>>56508166
Windows is just an eroge OS. It was never meant to be used for anything else.
>>
>>56504618
>supporting canonical
>thinking anything "based on" is as good as the original
>>
>>56503802
Use the UEFI/BIOS b0ss.
>>
>>56508255
Can't I just run my eroge on Wine though?
>>
>>56508166
W10 is hell on earth, it doesn't surprise me that people want to downgrade. it's a legacy OS and 7 fits that role best
>>
>>56504423
I get Arc-dark and Numix-Circle, install terminator and get Solarized Dark Higher Contrast for it, install zsh and an oh-my-zsh theme, then I install neovim, vin-airline and I get a nice theme for it.
>>
>>56508285
>>thinking anything "based on" is as good as the original
I'm going to assume you can foresee the ways in which that statement might backfire on you, friend.
Kindly give it a second thought.

Friend
>>
>>56503022
I am trying but it is so complex. Spent two days, wasted two days.
>>
>>56508310
In my experience windows 7 has a higher success rate of working without problems.
>>
Whats your personal email client of choice. I have a fuckton of accounts and I want it centralized without forwarding.

I don't need extensive features, I'd rather have a fast client. I'd prefer GUI/not CLI , but recommend whatever you want.

PS: Yes, I looked at the clients outlined on installgentoo, I'm asking for your opinion.
>>
>>56508479
Microsoft Outlook
>>
>>56504377

>i won't be doing anything, but please give me attention and answer my poll so i can feel smart
>>
>>56506306

>image editing — "photoshopping"
>inkscape
>image editing with a vector graphics editor
Idiot, why do you even post?
>>
>>56508479
Mozilla Thunderbird. (Icedove, if you're on Debian. Same thing, different name)
>>
>>56506458

>that awkward intro with the staring
>expect it to be satire
>it's actually serious
>>
File: 2016-09-09-08:33:36.png (23KB, 604x123px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-09-08:33:36.png
23KB, 604x123px
>>56506458

Why is Paul so angry?
>>
>>56508613
Bass players don't get laid.
>>
>>56508613
And here we find a terminal Windows user in his hospital bed. We're afraid he doesn't have much longer.
>>
>>56508166
this thread is cringe-worthy. these people seriously think windows 7 is worth defending
>>
File: 1469904297754.jpg (40KB, 557x612px) Image search: [Google]
1469904297754.jpg
40KB, 557x612px
Taking an Intro to Linux class in a few months, and I've never used Linux (Windows babby). Am I fucked?
Basically, what is the hardest part of transitioning between Windows and Linux?
>>
>accidentally compiled gcc again

Fuck this shit
>>
>>56508705
The moment you have to boot back to Windows.
>>
>>56508705
Learning how to do things with the terminal.
>>
>>56508705

>intro to linux class
That sounds like it won't teach you anything. There's so much wrong with it.

Linux is a kernel and by the way you worded your post I doubt you signed up for a kernel developing class. That means it's a class to teach you how to use "Linux". There are so many different things that could mean.
>>
>>56508705
Mostly things like the file structure, permissions and so on

If you're a tard babby like me who just used winblows well into their 20s it's a bit of a leap to go to system where hte file structure actually matters
>>
>>56508750
Probably a credit filler like these diversity credits (not even joking, only three required though) I have to take.
>>
Are tiling WMs just a meme? This seems like a major pain in the ass so far.
>>
>>56508705
Package management.

On Windows, you install things by downloading .exe's from websites. You're trusting these .exe's to not completely fuck up your entire computer. That's a lot of trust.

On Linux, you install things through the repositories of your chosen distribution. Repositories are basically databases curated by the people in charge of your chosen distribution. If you want to install firefox, you don't download firefox_installer.exe from mozilla's site and run it. You install it directly from your distribution's repository with a command (let's say 'sudo aptitude install firefox'). You don't have to visit any websites to do this.

That is not to say you can't install things from the internet. You can. Specially git projects, experimental builds of things, source code of things you can compile, etc etc. But the best practice and rule of thumb is to stick to installing programs from your distro's repos.

On Windows, the code is usually not released for the programs you install, except in the cases they are open source. You normally have NO IDEA what they really do under the hood. Nor does anybody else. On Linux, what you will find in the official repos is open source (with exceptions of non-free repositories of course). They are open to scrutiny from anyone, including you, should you be so curious. What does this mean?

Think of it this way:
Being on Windows and installing something is like a shady friend of yours asking you the favor of hosting a friend of his to crash your couch for a few weeks, and in exchange he'll cook for you. You have to trust that when you leave your home, he's not going to go through your house looking for valuables.

On Linux, it's a trustworthy friend asking you this favor, and the whole town vouching for this dude. And when he arrives at your house, you can literally read his mind and know he's not going to do any bad things.
>>
>>56508821

No, but you're an idiot who starts using things he doesn't even need just to appear "cool". Using "meme" to describe everything tells us that you're an idiot too.
>>
>>56508821
Don't use them if you don't need them.
>>
>>56508821
Use a DE like a non-autistic person
>>
This should be required watching for any prospective posters here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2efSysPvy8
>>
>>56508929
You could running a Gentoo system in the time it takes to watch this video.
>>
>>56508821
you, watch this
>>56508929
>>
>>56508929
>kek syndicate
>>
So if I just enable the RPMfusion on Fedora, I'm all good?
>>
>>56508929
>He actually took the /g/ banters seriously
Newfags, I swear
>>
Can any Gentoo beards tell me specifically what
emerge -avuDN world
does?
>>
I have a question. I'm running a 1 week fresh ubuntu 14.04 for development. I'm using a lot the terminal, but it sucks it doesn't support tabs, like when I used kubuntu. Do you recommend and specific terminal to replace the ubuntu default?

I'm also thinking to change unity, but I'm afraid as I had broken the desktop environment the last time I did that (on ubuntu 12.04). What are nice desktop environments to try, other than i3 or similar?
>>
>>56503148
No
>>
>>56508731
>boot into windows
>none of my keybinds work
>vi or nano is not installed
>have to use a mouse for the most basic tasks
>shell doesn't support readline
>some hipster contrarian coreutils

Super frustrating.
>>
>>56504148
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Principles
>>
>>56509075

man emerge
look for the flags and their explanation
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-09_17-35-02.png (26KB, 175x387px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-09_17-35-02.png
26KB, 175x387px
>Xfce broken
Guess what the distro is

Protip: Not Arch
Protip: Not Fedora
Protip: Not Gentoo
>>
>>56508993
That should give most packages you need yes. However there still won't be as many packages available as say Ubuntu or Debian, so you may still need to compile more obscure things from source.
>>
>>56509242
Will I be able to get broadcom drivers and non-free codecs
>>
>>56509077
ctrl+shift+t
>>
>>56509131
Read this kid https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>56503001
Ok so i'm trying to copy data from a DVD to my computer - DVD is quite scratched - when it gets to 7:22 it can't read like 4 frames - so when my computer is copying the file it stops at those 4 frames and says error.

How can i skip the error when copying the disk data?
>>
> stuck to watching videos on Windows because on Ubuntu the sound gets weird
I couldn't find anything about this problem while googling. An equalizer helps a little, but I don't have to use one on Windows.
>>
>>56509241
It doesn't matter which distro, it's probably xfces fault. Do a bug report instead of complaining here.
>>
>>56509326
No wonder you find nothing if you don't provide any relevant info. Was it a normal audio output? alsa or pulseaudio?
>>
>>56509258
Yes those are both in the rpmfusion repo.
>>
>>56509351
>Was it a normal audio output?
Yes. I tested some mp3, youtube videos and mkv videos with mpv. The distortion is more noticeable with mkv videos.
It sounds like the low frequencies are too amplified, so the equalizer can help a little by attenuating them, but it doesn't solve the problem.

>alsa or pulseaudio?
I have alsamixer, pulseaudio volume control and pulseaudio equalizer installed. I don't know how to use alsamixer, and I installed pulseaudio to try to solve the problem.
I'm new to linux, so I'm not sure if this is what you asked about.
>>
>>56509324
bump
>>
>>56509463
i was asking if you were using hdmi output, because that is a common issue.

So you use pulseaudio. Please show us how your pavucontrol tabs look like.
>>
>>56509324
>>56509538
try polishing your dvd. worth a shot.
>>
can anyone tell me how to install Debian from usb?
I've tried three different isos now and one even said usb on it and it still asks for a goddamn disk during installation every time
>>
>>56509553
already did that - it's and old DVD. Lots of scratches. Problem is it's literally 2 episodes per season that can't be read - but only for a slight second.
>>
>>56509241
Debian or Xubuntu?
>>
>>56509563
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/
>>
File: tabs.png (164KB, 1923x1380px) Image search: [Google]
tabs.png
164KB, 1923x1380px
>>56509551
They look like this.
>>
>>56509563
>debian
found your problem
>>
>>56508825
I agree in that its better than random window binaries, but package management in certain distros can be rediculous, broken mirrors, 3rd party code, needless dependencies, or distro dependent garbage. I honestly believe going directly to upstream source code is better security wise, you can verify signatures make packages from the code, or configure it to however you want. Granted its more of a hastle but then you not bound to whatever the distro decides to do. I'm just saying that people shouldn't be too quick to put that much trust into repos especially with how some of the more "user friendly" distros have a tendency for spyware or are somewhat unscrupulous when it comes to users data.
>>
>>56509647
the x86 version of the netinstall you posted was actually the first iso I tried.
It boots and somewhere along the installation it tries to detect a DVD drive for additional programs and shits the bed when it doesn't detect one.
>>
>>56509702
>>It boots and somewhere along the installation it tries to detect a DVD drive for additional programs and shits the bed when it doesn't detect one.
ah so you never gave us important information.
LIKE THE FUCKING ERROR MESSAGE
how about you give us that
>>
>>56509241

>complaining on here for weeks
>not taking it upstream and reporting the bug
>not having them explain a fix to you, because i saw someone else with that problems elsewhere and there was a fix

How do you even live your life when you can't deal with such a simple issue?
>>
>>56509241

Which icon theme is that?
>>
>>56509728
sorry for that.
>No common CD-ROM drive was detected.
>You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from removable media, such as a driver floppy. If you have such media available now, insert it and continue.
>Otherwise, you will be given the option to manually select CD-ROM modules.
>Load CD-ROM drivers from removable media?
after clicking either yes (upon which it tries to detect a non-present cd-rom) or no it throws me to the installation step section, while giving me the error message
>An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else.
>The failing step is: Detect and mount CD-ROM
from the installer menu I can not continue. The only choice from the menu that remotely looks like it would progress the installation is
>Load installer components from CD.
>>
>>56509807
forgot to add
>choosing to load installer components from cd of course tries to detect a non-present and non-relevant cd-rom drive again.
>>
Ok, as an OS X user, why should I make the 100% switch to linux. I already know a decent amount about the linux kernel and bash from my job and from classes. I just need to see that it would be actually practical to make the switch.

My understanding of os x is that it's a unix-like system that just werks. I've worked extensively with ubuntu and xubuntu and I can say the same there. But why would I disregard the huge functionality that OS X gives me, in exchange for using relatively more free software?
>>
>>56504451
gentoo is a meme if you compile it to look/work/use the same components as Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora.
And since 80% of time this is the case , yes it is a meme. Other than that its a perfectly good distro.
>>
>i know a decent amount abou the linux kernel
>says something superficial and vague like "My understanding of os x is that it's a unix-like system that just werks."
>apparently doesn't know something as simple as the difference between ubuntu and xubuntu, but is a kernel hacker

Why are you lying on the internet?
>>
>>56509929

Meant for >>56509897
>>
>>56509897
install it in a VM and decide for yourself
I can recommend fedora for the Just Werksâ„¢ experience.
Tons of different DEs to explore on linux.
Also different package managers with different advantages/disadvantages.
Just try it, the worst that could happen is that you learn something new.
>>
>>56509897
>why should I make the 100% switch to linux

Only do it if you want to only use one thing and want to not use what you are using now ever again. Why you'd ever want to use just one thing is beyond me. Are you trying to prove that it can be done?
>>
>>56509929
Because I know OS X doesn't use the linux kernel and you can't treat it is as the same as a linux distro

Also not claiming I'm a kernel hacker at all, just familiar with the kernel because my operating systems class focused on the linux kernel
>>56509940
I've done that, and yeah as I said my job required me to basically be ssh'd into a server running ubuntu/xubuntu all the time. Are other package managers that much better? I don't care about autistic Arch and Gentoo shit because I don't mind a negligible amount of bloat.
>>56509948
I would use FOSS if there were an OS X FOSS alternative but as of right now that doesn't exist. Right now I get all of the functionality out of OS X that I want, with the minor exception that OS X can't do visual studio.
>>
>>56504711
I have seen ms viruses affected linux systems due to mono.
>>
Dual boot or VM?
>>
>>56509984
I personally really like dnf on fedora.
apt does the job but there are better options.

If you like to be in control over your system and are comfortable with reading through a buttload of documentation to initially edit your configs then emerge is pretty great too.
>>
>>56503802
graphical? dunno, but i use fancontrol (part of lm_sensors)
it has a guided command line configuration (pwmconfig), so you don't need to even know how to write the config file
>>
>>56509807
>>>You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from removable media
just use the nonfree installer or connect ethernet.
>>
>>56509563
How are you making your install drive?
>>
>>56505040
debians' root depends entirely on what you plan to install on it, just a basic graphics desktop with little else can be done with about 1G
for swap, do you want to be able to hibernate? if so, make it 32G (same as ram), otherwise just make it a couple gig as you'll only otherwise use it if you run out of ram

my desktop arch install (root) is currently 8.7G
>>
File: 1467362222416.png (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467362222416.png
151KB, 1920x1080px
>>56507222
/g/ already did a distro back in the days.
https://install-logos.github.io/
https://github.com/install-logos
>>
>>56510506
waste of a perfect 10/10 logo.
>>
>>56503001
>Friendly
Why are you spreading lies on anime board?
There is nothing fucking friendly about it.
>>
>>56510525
go away newfag tb h
>>
>>56510525
"Friendly" is only valid in direction to newcomers who search a holding hand; when no newcomers are around, we like to get naked, and shit on each others distro of choice - pants on head, obviously. These events are very private and not related to the thread title. Please respect our privacy.
>>
>>56510525
>anime board
This is a technology board.
>>
File: a4j2XZw_700b_v1.jpg (50KB, 700x588px)
a4j2XZw_700b_v1.jpg
50KB, 700x588px
Why is it better to run -Syyuu than running -Syu?
>>
>>56510196
I take the .iso
use it as input for the fedora liveUSB creator (which worked for gentoo's systemrescueCD as well)
and then I take that bootable zip disquette to boot the debian installer
I think I fucked up on three other ends though which are unrelated to the current problem, so I'll try to fix those first.
>>
Why do people seriously shill pacaur? It's so fucking slow.
>>
>>56510730
>>use it as input for the fedora liveUSB creator
stopped reading right there.
read the manual and follow it, it can't be that hard.
>>
>>56503260
Arch. Or debian, since almost everything in the x86 repos has been ported to arm
>>
Is there some midpoint between Gentoo autism and Ubuntubuddy bloat? It's completely pointless to keep recompiling the kernel and the network setup on this machine when it never changes, but it takes just as long to pull the wires out from a distro with a preloaded DE or whatever
>>
>>56509563
Nigga, just use rufus to make a liveusb
>>
File: 1468691726649.png (16KB, 563x166px)
1468691726649.png
16KB, 563x166px
>>56509131
>>56509309
#rekt
>>
>>56510858
install gentoo
>>
>>56510858
>It's completely pointless to keep recompiling the kernel and the network setup on this machine when it never changes,
If doesn't change, you don't need to recompile it.
>>
holyshit i can't believe how retarded you are
kys
>>
>>56507222

Why would you install a distribution which is nothing but an already existing core distribution at best with a different theme and wallpaper slapped on? Name one reason.
>>
>>56510680

Who said it's better?

>>56510858

You don't really know what the main benefit of Gentoo is, don't you? Neither do you know what "bloat" is or what it allegedly means in terms of Ubuntu. Nor do you know anything about Ubuntu, like its netinstaller for example.
You're nothing but a meme and myth perpetuating idiot. Just do yourself and everyone a favor and stop posting.
>>
>>56510925

You most likely forgot to quote someone specific, but that's like the standard response which fits for 90% of the posts in here.
>>
>>56510955
Retard
>>
>>56510801
Never used it, I just use packer
>>
>>56509653
Fuck linux.
>>
>>56510955
>Who said it's better?
/fglt/'s arch fags
>>
>>56509653
why is it turned all the way down?
remove the hdmi output.
>>
So I have a small problem. I am trying to install RVM which needs a key from GnuPG. I have tried to get it from cli which failed I think because of my firewall, so I tried adding it manually which seems to have worked but it still throws the same error when I try to install RVM again. Not really sure what to try next...

Halp?
>>
What's your opinion about linux libre and liquorix kernels? Are they any good?
>>
so, recently I've settled down on elementaryOS for my laptop OS. But i have a problem. the default terminal emulator sucks. it memory leaks and slowing my system to an eventual complete hault in some cases.

so I'm in the market for the better one, specifically one that can run vim with at least 256 colors. but also, i need something I can scroll up in and has a good copy paste integration with the system.
>>
>>56505273
you cant start with telling us what distro you use.
you need have headers to your kernel installed, preferably dkms , build-essential things, you need to manually blacklist nouveau, if debian you need to do
update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`
after blacklisting and then install it with no other nvidia driver installed from repos.
, if fedora follow this
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/
if ubuntu i have no idea, its messed up and you should just use PPA's
>>
>>56511432
there are many guys with linux libre, i know two of them irl. but noone of them can connect to the internet.
>>
Whats the advantage of using fedora or opensuse over, say, ubuntu?
>>
>>56511563
DNF is a good package manager and Apt is god awful, but go with Fedora, openSUSE is a bloated mess
>>
>>56511563
> no fucking unity
> no fucking apt
>>
>>56511349
It is all the way down because I don't like loud volume.
I'm not using the computer now, but I pretty much gave up.
>>
>>56511579
>Unity
>gnome instead
either way id use mate or xfce or something.
>>
>>56511563
Fedora > OpenPEPE or Poobuntu
>>
>>56511560
So it's pretty much unusable? I've wanted to use linux libre but I'm worried about how it'd run.
>>
>>56511660
OpenPEPE has a good package manager.

It probably has issues with non-free drivers
>>
>>56511438
Install Lxterminal
>>
File: MyWindows10.png (111KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
MyWindows10.png
111KB, 1366x768px
>>56508325
>>
>>56507222
Only if its directed to noobs, not for me.
>>
>>56511967
Clean up your icons, it looks like a big mess.
>>
>>56507420
Truth has been spoken.
>>
>>56507856
Do some ncurses programming or bash scripting for fun.
>>
>>56511432
It is awesome if your hardware works with it.
>>
>>56511990
I agree it looks a bit messy, but I like to think of it as sacrificing aesthetic for convenience.

- In the start menu are shortcuts to all the programs I use with any frequency.
- In the taskbar are just my currently opened programs, only cmd, explorer, and Firefox are pinned.
- In the tray/notification area, I have all those shown because it's more convenient to view them all instead of hiding them under an extra click.
>>
>>56510013
VM. Learn to use QEMU with KVM, then slowly ascend to pci passthrough.
>>
>>56511660
Fedora is a rock solid and well-designed distro that comes at the expense of being NSAOS
>>
>>56510929
Make something more noob friendly. Just look at /g/, we see what newbies complain about.
>>
>>56512190
>When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performance by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU.
Thank you anon
>>
>>56512261
np, maybe try using QEMU from the command line by looking at the wikibook, is far more easy than using a gui like aqemu is you get the hang of it, but if you want to go easy first try aqemu, looks pretty much like virtualbox.
>>
>>56511657
but gnome is usable
>>
>>56511890
depends on hardware. some wifi cards don't work without proprietary firmware
>>
>>56504618
>what is OpenSUSE
>>
What are good Wifi adapter that works with open drivers?
>>
NEW THREAD >>56512897
>>
how do I find out what proprietary firmware I need for my wifi on debian and how do I install it?
total newb here
>>
>>56512925
install gentoo
>>
>>56507138
Sorry fell asleep last night.

My Wifi card actually works fine and I was able to connect to my network to finish the install. I updated apt and tried installing firmware-ralink but it says it could not find a package with that name.

Everything works fine so im not too worried about it.

Thanks for the help though!
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.