[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 31

File: 1440871396937.jpg (131KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
1440871396937.jpg
131KB, 490x490px
Previously on: >>55887370

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
>>55902693
What does /fglt/ think of BSD?
>>
Man, RMS is really starting to look like Santa Claus in his old age.
>>
>>55903009
He brings the gift of freedom.

https://www.stallman.org/grav-mass.html
>>
>>55903154
Stallman won't even have fun with even secular parts of christmas like Rudolph or Frosty, but grav-mass is just autism to a whole new level.
>>
File: 954634532.jpg (23KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
954634532.jpg
23KB, 200x200px
I broke my ubuntu install. how do I write over it with a fresh install?
>>
>>55903218
I can't hear you over the sound of science.
>>
>>55903250
With "broke" what do you mean exactly?
>>
>>55902975
They either have no problem with it or will bring a lynch mob to this thread.

Personally I don't see an issue with using it. I considered it a while back but decided to stick with GNU/Linux for the ease of use.
>>
>>55902975
I'm okay with GNU/BSD. I hope *BSD fans and us get along to fight the botnet
>>
>>55903250
Get an installation/live CD and reinstall.

If you need to get your data off load a live CD and mount your hard drive, then copy it all to an external or SCP it to another computer.

You can reinstall without wiping your data if you have a seperate /home partition (if you don't you deserve what you get). A wee bit more involved if you use encryption but it can be done.
>>
>>55902975
I don't really see the point of BSD. Then again, what's even the point of life.
>>
>>55902975
It's very slow to update, relatively speaking, and won't always have everything you want, especially as it comes to hardware support.
>>
>>55903309
This. Why should Linux and BSD and other Unix users be arguing amongst each other when we should be tearing down Microshaft and Applel?
>>
>>55903267
I tried upgrading it and it broke. Doesn't boot anymore, there were some broken libraries but when I tried to download new ones and dpkg install it still didn't work.

just not worth fucking with further, I grabbed the files I needed off of there and learned to never have important files not backed-up on a linux install without paying any consequences.
>>
>>55903370
Then a clean reinstall would do it I guess, since you already grabbed all your files.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (94KB, 1904x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
94KB, 1904x1072px
>>55902693

Newbie Linux user here. Using VMware Workstation 12 Player to run Debian 8 (using Debian's desktop environment) on a Skylake PC.

Almost running perfectly. Browsing on it using Firefox just fine. However, I cannot get Debian to auto resize when I go full screen on VMware. It just looks like pic related with the only options for size are shown. I know it can be made to stretch, but can't get it to work. I think is has something to do with VMware tools, but I've tried for several days Googling and watching YouTube vids and getting no where. The tools are downloaded in Debian, but every time I try to get Terminal to run it, it refuses saying tools is already running or something to that effect. But honestly, I'm not sure if this is a Debian or VMware issue.

Other than that, these are the only other issues I hope to resolve eventually.

>Figure out how to run a VPN on it. Already have server addresses ready to go

>Get my Logitech mouse to work on it (back/forward buttons don't work)

>Figure out why using my Wacom touchpad will random place place a "Z". So odd.

I'm doing this because I want to use my Windows on my PC for HTPC/gaming purposes and Linux for surfing (hopefully any viruses/malware I catch will be confined to just to Linux/VMware and won't spread to Windows). Don't want to use any other distro or desktop environment. It's either this or abandoning Linux for several more years (try every so often to get it to work).
>>
>>55903410
Gentoo doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>55903316
>>55903399
so I went to my liveUSB, tried to do an install, I have a dual boot with win7 so I selected "do something else" as opposed to install ubuntu alongside other OS's or rewrite disk. I selected the partition that has the broken ubuntu on it and selected the same partition in the boot loader drop down. but when I clicked install an error message popped up that said something like: "no root partition available, please change in the partition menu"

I'm stumped.
>>
>>55903410
you know that this is not a debian or general GNU/Linux problem right?
how about you dual boot and actually run GNU/Linux for real? that is a lot better than dealing with VMware.
>>
>>55902693
What laptop is he using?

And why does he always wear that same red shirt everywhere?
>>
>>55902975
openbsd is cool for network equipment
netbsd is cool for binary compat and a cool replacement for shitty old unices

overall the projects have provided us with great software and I am glad to see them still in use and frequent development

however I wish Theo and all the other special snowflakes would shut the fuck up and just develop

>Linux people do what they do because they hate Microsoft. We do what we do because we hate Linux.
>>
Everytime I install arch, I have a new problem. This time, I partitioned my drive so that one of the paritions was an EFI system partition. I installed grub on it without a hitch.
I reboot, and I'm sent to the grub command line.
Is something broken? Well, I was able to manually boot into my root partition from there. I was greeted with a strange "root device is not configured to be mounted read-write" message in the boot log, but then everytjing worked fine.

How do I fix this nonsense? I don't particularly mind since it adds to the l33t h4ck3r cred I have to onlookers, but it is annoying to do it.
>>
>>55903750
hard to say with what you've told us. you might have forgotten something like grub-mkconfig
>>
>>55903781
See, that's what I thought, but that isn't the case.
>>
Do I even need a swap partition if I have 16 gigs of memory?
>>
File: 1466320051902.jpg (800KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1466320051902.jpg
800KB, 1280x800px
also posted in /tpg/ but ill ask here too:
my brightness controls (fn+home and fn+end) as well as the sleep button (fn+f4) have stopped working correctly on my t420 with arch and openbox.
the brightness can still go up and down, but the lowest settings just turn off the backlight completely instead of getting dimmer. i can still bring it back up from there though
the sleep button does nothing.
i have no idea what i've done to cause this, as they were all working fine one day and not the next.
acpi_listen sees all of them just fine
if i log in as root (who has nothing installed) they all work perfectly, i suspect because of thinkpad-acpi included in the kernel.
any suggestions??
>>
>>55903867
8 GB here and no swap. Runs just fine
>>
>>55903920
Takk
>>
>>55903920
i have 4gb and it fine.
>>
>tfw no documentation for Void Linux
>>
File: ss.png (24KB, 244x677px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
24KB, 244x677px
Hello friends.

I booted into my xubuntu partition for the first time in a while.

All I did was sudo-apt-upgrade and then installed a gtk theme. Then I quickly rebooted into windows to do something for a second, then booted back into xubuntu.

Now my desktop is a bit messed up.
The text on the icons looks weird and when I move an icon part of the white text gets stuck on the original position (as indicated by the Trash icon in the pic)

Sorry for this retarded question but what's wrong here?
>>
>>55903966
You lose the ability to hibernate your machine, but it's a fair trade for 500 MB RAM if you ask me
>>
>>55904024
Oops somehow the white text that gets stuck didn't capture on the screenshot.

Just imagine the white "Trash" text being under the "750GB Volume" icon instead of by the Trash icon.
>>
File: slack-penguin-color.gif (17KB, 258x303px) Image search: [Google]
slack-penguin-color.gif
17KB, 258x303px
so im trying to install slackware 14.2 on my laptop, but i keep running into issues trying to connect to the internet wireless. I have managed to get the network manager daemon to execute, but whenever i try to connect to the internet i get an error that says dhcp isn't running. so then i ran dhcpcd with my wireless card, and now im stuck with an error that says it cant receive an ip. any suggestions?
>>
>>55903671
>I use a Thinkpad X60 computer, in which the FSF installed a free initialization program (libreboot) and a free operating system (Trisquel GNU/Linux.) T
>>
>>55903671
>Not all my shirts are red or purple, but many are. I like those colors.
https://stallman.org/rms-lifestyle.html
https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
>>
>>55904147
That would explain why all the tshirts and hoodies are that colour on his shop.
>>
>>55903218
The best gravmass song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
>>
>>55832735
Thank you!
>>
>>55904147
oh god i just looked at fsf new shop design and why the fuck.
>>
File: Zeronet_logo.png (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Zeronet_logo.png
58KB, 600x600px
How to discover interesting things to do on ZeroNet?
>>
>>55904438
Caffaine search
>>
>>55904460
Is this a zite?
>>
>>55903510
I've never tried to dual-boot before, but I think this should follow the same principle as installing regularly - you should have the option to create partitions or have them made for you automatically (I'm assuming you select your Ubuntu parition and it behaves like an entire drive). You still need to tell it what to do. You've got the box, now you need to put dividers in.

But again, I've never dual-booted, so I could be talking out of my ass. Hopefully I only get called a faggot once if I'm wrong.
>>
Hello /g/entleman
I'm really looking forward to jump on linux and been looking for a distro for a while and need your advice.
I've hated ubuntu without even using it just by reading about it.
Debian seems like a good choice. It's stable - just what I want my laptop to be but has outdated software which might not be good for doing some stuff. I know there's branches I think they're called like testing and sid with newer software but I don't feel ready for that just yet.
Fedora and Arch seem pretty good too and have the latest software but kind of unstable so basically my question is

tldr - Is there a good distro that is at the middle of this stability <------> cutting edge scale?
>>
>>55904147
> bare HTML

Why, Stallman. Take the hour to make a decent CSS sheet. I will make one for you, even.
>>
>>55904591
I personally find Fedora perfectly stable (you need to use DNF to update the OS every 6-13 months, but that's not a huge hassle), but if you really don't like it, I'd recommend Antergos or Korora.

There are also spins of Ubuntu and Fedora if your only objection to Ubuntu is Unity.
>>
>>55904652
Thanks man.
Is the stuff I hear about Fedora being a test bed for Red Hat and controlled by the FBI just memes?
>>
>>55904601
Stallman browses the web in text. He follows a similar guideline to this: http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

I like this design ethic. Any customisation can be done clientside.
>>
>>55903279
>>55903279
Why are GNU/Linux users so tsundere towards BSD?
>>
>>55904703
> controlled by the FBI
Memes.

> test bed for Red Hat
It's upstream RHEL. They implement things early in Fedora and update and improve them for a few years before adding them to RHEL. The versions added to Fedora ARE complete and functional software, though, and Fedora is a complete and functional OS. It is well-supported, and quite stable.
>>
>>55904735
I can appreciate that approach, but just a small amount of colors, font variance, and formatting goes a long way towards making things look nice, and can be done lightweight and fast.
>>
>>55904735
God damn that guy is a nutjob.
>>
>>55902693
I got a question about GPG? How important is the key fingerprint? Often a program or OS doesn't have their GPG key fingerprint listed on the website, I'm paranoid if it's not the legit program or not the legit key if I don't double check to make sure the fingerprint matches what it's supposed to say.
>>
>>55904751
Good to know man. Thanks for the useful responses. Will give it a try soon
>>
>>55904529
yes
>>
File: cp-1.jpg (102KB, 576x1014px) Image search: [Google]
cp-1.jpg
102KB, 576x1014px
>>55902975
Tried it as a desktop OS.
Nope. Nope. Nope.
>>
>>55902693
what the fuck is wrong?

vbox-linux% sudo groupadd sftpusers                                     
groupadd: group 'sftpusers' already exists
vbox-linux% sudo useradd -m -g sftpusers -R /home/user -s /bin/bash user
useradd: group 'sftpusers' does not exist
>>
>>55904927
> How important is the key fingerprint?
Very important it how you find out who gpg key is. especially if your trying to find it on a pgp server.
>'m paranoid if it's not the legit program or not the legit key if I don't double check to make sure the fingerprint matches what it's supposed to say.
Usually the key is always legit. program just detects names sub names and keys and so on. And if the program is incorrect always look up the pgp server.
>>
>>55905442
well, check the groups file and see if it's there. if it isn't, add it.
>>
>>55905619
its in /etc/groups
>>
Which browser do you use?
>>
>>55905760
chrome.
>>
>>55905442
sudo adduser user sftpusers
>>
>>55905799
there is no adduser command
>>
What's the best Linux distribution for security?
>>
>>55905760
Firefox
>>
Recently installed fedora after unsuccessful Debian adventure. What is the program/command for displaying your OS + specs for your system? I see it on /g/ every once in a while.
>>
>>55905847
nevermind fucking forget it i give up on linux im tired of losing every day i boot it up to an error that takes me all day to fix for something that should be so fucking simple yeah im frustrated fuck linux, i hope it continues to fail and something that isnt broken shit that invents new problems every single day replaces it
>>
So when you disable the root user, what happens to the password? I'm going to install slackware, use password as a temporary password and when I make my regular user, disable the root account. What is going to happen to the root password? Does it get reset and I'll have to make a new one if I decided to re-enable the root user?
>>
>>55905847
useradd is sometimes valid
>>
Would this process work?

> get thumb drive
> installing Linux to laptop
> put boot partition on thumb drive
> laptop cannot boot without it
> added layer of physical security

What do you guys think? I also read something about putting the hard drive's encryption key on the thumb drive but I never could get that to work.
>>
>>55905965
> disabling root
Why in god's name would you do this. You can't delete the root account if that's your plan, and if you lose your root password you need to reinstall the OS if you ever want to use it again.

There was some process with a livecd to change the root password that way but I haven't used it since I was 15.
>>
>>55906025
I was referring to disable root login anon. You can do that and disable SSH root login.
>>
Is NetworkManager good?
>>
>>55906004
>Would this process work?
Yes.
>>
>>55905281
How I find this zite?
>>
Trying to install xorg-server, sys-devel/llvm-3.7.1-r3::gentoo is either stuck or taking a very, very long time to emerge. What's happening?
>>
>>55905760
Pale Moon
>>
>>55904782
It's irrelevant to him. He download the HTML and open on emac, he doesn't applies CSS, JS, Flash, Java, Silverlight, Shockwave, etc.
>>
>>55906109
Does it say it's fetching it? Do you have output? There's by default a lot of output. But llvm takes about 30 minutes on average for me.
>>
had enough with windows 10, what linux distro should I use?

I want something unified, somewhat stable, looks nice, etc
>>
>>55906183
Ubuntu - go look at GNOME, xFce, KDE, Cinnamon and pick whatever one suits your fancy.
>>
>>55906183
I just mean unified as in it doesn't feel clunky and weird just switching between programs
>>
>>55906183
Ubuntu or Fedora with KDE or Cinnamon.

Comfy as fuck.

> obligatory install gentoo
>>
>>55906183
mine :^)
>>
What is the purpose behind using opensuse? Is it a meme?
>>
>>55906153
How do I find this information? I've never installed before.
>>
My system clock keeps getting out of sync when I suspend my computer. Is there a way to run systemctl openntpd.service restart on wake or some other way to get this corrected? Using Libreboot/X200 combo.
>>
>>55906355
what's the purpose of anything? Is it a meme?

also don't like it because of lunduke, but no one here probably cares about anyone besides stallmeme or linus
>>
File: 1459123952651.png (52KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1459123952651.png
52KB, 203x209px
I'm using Xubuntu 16.04, and my mouse scroll speed is a little bit slow.

how can i fix this?
>>
>>55906429
>He doesn't use tourchpad
laughing_whores.jpg
>>
>>55906477
touchpad
>>
>>55906386
If you don't pass --quiet, --jobs (or some others) to emerge, it will print the entire compiler output.

To check if its running, look at top or something. If you are using 100% of your CPU, it's running.
>>
Is there a way to get diagnostic information on wi-fi connection? My laptop stopped connecting (despite detecting the access points just fine) and it doesn't say why.
>>
>>55906530
It just failed.
>>
How do you change the colour & text colour of minimised windows in tint2conf?
I can change the colour of everything else but I can't find the option to change this. I feel like I'm missing something probably obvious.
>>
I installed kubuntu and I can't figure out what the hell is going on with the Discover package manager. I search for 'zsh' and it gives no results. I look in the installed section and it shows 55 results. Is this broken or am I missing something?
>>
Which Thinkpad models does RMS use?
>>
File: Splash_screen_42.1.png (80KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Splash_screen_42.1.png
80KB, 800x600px
What is best beginner friendly Linux? Windows 10 considerably slowed down my computer after patch so I thought I'd give Linux a try in dual boot.
So I need one that is easy to use, supports dual boot and dual monitors, can have MPV, Trillian and Steam (for contacts, not games).
Friend recommended OpenSuse Leap, any better alternatives?
Thank you.
>>
>>55907049
mine :^)
>>
>>55907049
>Trillian
Does that exist for linux?
>>
File: 1470098627074.jpg (17KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1470098627074.jpg
17KB, 250x238px
Thunar or Dolphin?
>>
>>55907151
dolphin by a long way
>>
>>55907135
Maybe, but whatever the fuck protocol he was using is going to have a linux client anyway.
>>
>>55907135
there is pidgin
>>
>>55907151
gentoo.
>>
>>55907173
I know there is pidgin but that is not what he said his requirement is.
>>
>>55907185
whatever
>>
>>55907049
Opensuse is fine, stop wasting time and install it. If you hate it you can try another one.
>>
>>55907195
thanks
>>
>>55907049
Between last night and today I've bounced from CentOS -> Debian -> Ubuntu -> Fedora. If you dont like it, just switch - it doesn't take that much time.
>>
>>55907049
Don't dualboot. always virtual machine before you try. if you can't get the stuff working the way you want don't come back.
>>
>>55907185
I know Pidgin too and I asked Trillian cause I specifically use their protocol.
It is available on some Linuxes, but not sure about Opensuse:
https://www.trillian.im/get/linux/2.0/linux.html
>>
>>55907239
Because it has a rpm package means it'll work. just do (sudo yum install trillian.rpm) and your operating system bit
>>
>>55905912
scrot or screenfetch.
>>
>>55903316
>>55903399
don't tell people to reinstall, unless they are really noob.
reminder: this is the friendly LINUX thread, not the WINDOWS thread.
>>
Getting a new laptop tomorrow. If nothing changes, I'm installing Fedora with i3.

Here's your chance - shill your distribution of choice as hard as you can.
>>
>>55907454
mine os :^)
>>
>>55907467
My current OS is Fedora w/ Cinnamon. I want to try a new DE.
>>
File: Untitled.png (12KB, 675x425px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12KB, 675x425px
I'm kind of new to linux and I have a seedbox, How do I compile this?
I don't have sudo so I can't just use apt.
https://megatools.megous.com/

What would be the best way to install things without sudo?
>>
>>55907454
Why on earth would you install fedora just to put i3 on it?
>>
>>55907485
Why would you not have sudo? Just install it. Or log in to root shell with su.
>>
>>55907509
I don't have those privileges. That's why I'm asking.
>Just install it.
>>
>>55907501
I have a history of falling for /g/ advice and they said i3 is good.
>>
>>55907526
Your administrator probably wouldn't want you installing some botnet megatools crap then anyway.
>>
>>55907532
I think you missed the point.
>>
>>55907534
They don't care what is installed, they just don't give root.
>>
>>55907546
Sudo is not root.
It depends on what is installed. If it is just a binary then you can put the file in your $PATH. If not then it's becomes difficult.
>>
>>55907546
What sort of setup do you have where someone else controls what's on the computer? I know this is fairly common in workplaces with windows but linux? Just curious.
>>
>>55907579
I said it was a seedbox, I assume there are other accounts on the same server and it would be pretty horrible for all of us to have elevated privileges.
>>
>>55907485
run:
mkdir ~/megatools
cd ~/megatools/
wget https://megatools.megous.com/builds/megatools-1.9.97.tar.gz
tar xf megatools-1.9.97.tar.gz
cd megatools-1.9.97/
./configure
make -j4

you should see something like
$ make -j4
GEN mega/mega-marshal.list
GEN mega/mega-enum-types.h
GEN mega/mega-enum-types.c
GEN mega/mega-marshal.c
GEN mega/mega-marshal.h
CC mega/libmega_la-mega-aes-key.lo
CC mega/libmega_la-mega-rsa-key.lo
CC mega/libmega_la-mega-chunked-cbc-mac.lo
CC mega/libmega_la-mega-aes-ctr-encryptor.lo
CC mega/libmega_la-utils.lo
CC mega/libmega_la-mega-marshal.lo
CC mega/libmega_la-mega-enum-types.lo
CC tools/df.o
CC libtools/sjson.gen.o
CC libtools/http.o
CC libtools/oldmega.o
CC libtools/tools.o
CC tools/dl.o
CC tools/get.o
CC tools/ls.o
CC tools/mkdir.o
CC tools/put.o
CC tools/reg.o
CC tools/rm.o
CC tools/copy.o
CC tests/test-aes.o
CC tests/test-rsa.o
CCLD libmega.la
ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U')
CCLD megadf
CCLD megadl
CCLD megaget
CCLD megals
CCLD megamkdir
CCLD megaput
CCLD megareg
CCLD megarm
CCLD megacopy
CCLD tests/test-rsa
CCLD tests/test-aes

then you can make a symlink somewhere in your $PATH to use those executables
>>
>>55907454
You don't want me to shill to you, I actually fell for the gentoo meme back in the day and I run arch now.
>>
>>55907599
Thanks senpai. I appreciate your help.
>>
>>55907485
you can probably just extract the deb and it'll be fine
>>
File: 1467566105811.png (197KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467566105811.png
197KB, 480x480px
>tfw finally finished setting up Arch linux with Openbox to a nice "it just works" state
>Have pretty much everything I want including vidya
>The only thing I'm lacking is rice but I can rice whenever
Arch Linux/Openbox is so comfy once you set it up properly.
Why don't more people Linux this way?
>>
>>55907698
I use bunsenlabs desu
>>
>>55907628
I fell for the gentoo meme earlier this year. I didn't see any benefits but felt good about the lack of bloat.

Circumstances surrounding my switch back are detailed in the tech illiterate people stories thread.
>>
Should I use Fedora?
>>
>>55907546
Compile it locally, and then link your programs to use it
Same
~./bin

I had to do this a decade ago on some shitty webhosts, refused to install gd, so i just compiled it locally, and used ~/lib
>>
>>55907765
Yes. It's a high-quality OS and is used by Linis Torvalds.

Just don't use the GNOME version. Use a spin.
>>
>>55907796
I was thinking Xfce or LXDE
>>
>>55907698
Because openbox is pretty shit and arch is arch.
>>
File: gayshit.png (47KB, 463x158px) Image search: [Google]
gayshit.png
47KB, 463x158px
Thinking of putting some effort into trying Linux out. My main concern is gaming. I'd keep Windows 10 around for it I guess.

People probably ask this all the time but what dist should I install and why should I pick Linux over say, OSX or going back to Windows 7 or something?

I'm concerned about
>Windows 10 free update is gone, so if I change my motherboard or some shit and lose genuineness I have to pirate it or buy it now right?
>Windows 10 fucking spying on everything these days
>Windows 10 feels more and more bloated, newest thing is this pic related shit I can't seem to get rid of

I just want to browse the web and play some games, watch some animes on a reliable OS. All of a sudden I got really fucking curious and it seems like Wine makes even modern games go. But I know almost nothing about this Linux shit except obvious memes like "Install Gentoo".

What is /g/'s experiences with it? Ups and downs... be honest, is this some nerd shit that nobody in their right mind ever would actually want to use?
>>
>>55907765
If you are currently using Windows, yes.
>>
>>55907815
hey

hey anon

you're shit
>>
>>55907855
I used to use Ubuntu until I became disgusted with where it was headed.
>>
>>55907837
I used it as my sole OS and I don't programme and I'm not really a nerd. I produce music on it mainly (other than internet and regular normie stuff) and I will never go back to windows.
Downs...if you're gaming maybe you will see some there but honestly I don't see many downsides, moving away from windows and sticking with it when you are frustrated and need to learn how to do something differently was the best thing I ever did.
>>
>>55907868
your shit you'reself
>>
>>55907837
>Windows 10 free update is gone, so if I change my motherboard or some shit and lose genuineness I have to pirate it or buy it now right?

Nope, just phone MS up and say you needed to change your motherboard.

Ive done this a dozen times and its never been a problem. Only chumps rebuy windows all the time

As for gaming you are best to partition W10 on the system as well (depending what you want to play) You can fuck around and get it going with Wine and all that but its not a good solution and is generally just a absolute headache. Dont let anyone convince you otherwise.
>>
>Debian Sid
>tfw 4.7 kernel is still on experimental
>>
>>55902693
someone needs to get that nigga a shower and a new shirt
>>
>>55907952
What are you expecting from 4.7?
>>
>>55907804
Xfce ftw anon. Easy to use, low on memory usage. It's good shit.
>>
>>55908013
AMDGPU changes.
>>
>>55907881
>>55907935
Okay. Thanks.

When I meant nerd shit, I guess meant is it actually any better for the common user, you know. Or is it some shit people fiddle with all day just to have slightly less bloat and make themselves feel good, rather than actually just use their computers.

Windows 10 works but I haven't been a fan, like, ever. What dist though?
I assume I can just install and try it and see, which might be faster than asking all this shit but

List of random concerns:
>gaming (obviously)
>drivers for shit not working on linux
>what dist
>are there language options, (need to be able to type japanese or I literally won't use it)
>how well does it actually run in terms of startup and shutdown and shit compared to windows
>>
File: cool.png (547KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cool.png
547KB, 1024x768px
Hey, so I finally installed Linux after being fucked over by OSX one too many times. What should I get now? Any way to spruce this old looking shit up?
>>
>>55908039
getting an rx 480 when i can find it in stock, excited for those changes too.
>>
Is this going to give me any issues later?

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
>>
>>55908072
yes
>>
>>55908039
It's been in Gentoo's repo for a week.
>>
>>55908078
What kind of issues?
>>
>>55908072
Probably. I'd say Devuan, but that shit is till in beta. Embrace the sytemdick until there's an alternative, that is, if there is an alternative.
>>
>>55908072
just install the fork faggot
>>
>>55908095
I might as well :(
>>
>>55908048
Why're you using blackbox? That's pretty ancient at this point. If you like the format, use openbox, pair it with lxpanel if you want a windows-style taskbar that isn't bloated.

If you're looking for a GTK theme, I recommend Arc: https://github.com/horst3180/arc-theme
As well as the Faenza icon set: http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228

If you're looking to change the style of your window borders, search for blackbox themes (or openbox themes if you switch)
>>
File: 1468629176611.png (109KB, 717x642px) Image search: [Google]
1468629176611.png
109KB, 717x642px
>>55908092
Your entire system not being supported.
Systemd is slowly taking over every part of the system.
A shit ton of programs already dep on systemd, just to make it easier for them selves.
>>
>>55908105
Can I still migrate from Jessie to Devuan?
>>
>>55908042
Id only look at Ubuntu or Mint.

Ubuntu is the best for beginners imo as it has the most support forums and information out there for when you get stuck (which will happen)

Mint isnt too far behind but its desktop environment is very windows like
>>
>>55908116
>why're you using blackbox?
Uses less resources

I don't know how to change blackbox themes though, or gtk for that matter considering this is a debian minimal install. Will look into the packs though
>>
File: Konqui.png (27KB, 220x233px) Image search: [Google]
Konqui.png
27KB, 220x233px
Is KDE the most weeb DE?
>>
I'm getting a black screen after startx but my WM is working just fine (i3) because I can open my terminal and reboot via kb hotkey... any idea why?
>>
How do I transition from GNOME to KDE without fucking my entire system on Debian Jessie? I like GNOME, but I really want those thumbnails in the file picker.
>>
>>55908210
furry*
>>
File: worker.png (78KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
worker.png
78KB, 1152x864px
Try worker guys, is a file manager with a lot of options. Has image preview and is highly scriptable.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-31_16-28-17.png (973KB, 1179x994px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-31_16-28-17.png
973KB, 1179x994px
>>55905760
Firefox.
>>
>>55908215
post your xinitrc, I hope you are not putting startx in there
>>
>>55908168
I heard blackbox is easier to configure than openbox. Please post your progress because I am interested.
>>
>>55908276
>Hire Maurice LaMarche for one voice
>do a billion voices yourselves
TPMS are comedy gods but they fucked up there.
>>
>>55908153
I heard of both of those, I might try Ubuntu then. No idea what the difference is with any distro. All I know about linux is memes basically.

Ubuntu kinda looks like OSX though which I guess I'm not used to. I'll probably start with it anyway, ty
>>
How long did it take for you to get comfortable with Linux? I am running Fedora + Gnome and it seems like every day I have a fire to put out, does it ever "just work" or is this part of the 'fun'?
>>
First time using any non Mac/Windows OS. I successfully installed Ubuntu to a flash drive. I'm sort of getting the hang of basic terminal functions. So that's going fairly well. Now, I want to play around with some different themes, but I can't figure out how to get things I've downloaded from ubuntuthemes.org to play with Unity Tweak Tool. Any advice for me?
>>
>>55908217
You better unistall everything and stay with a minimalist wm like twm because you are need to erase everything.
>>
>>55908350
Using Fedora is asking for disaster. Is the beta test for Red Hat Enterprise and when one application has finally been debugged they change to another version. Distros like these are called "rolling release" (bad explained).

Really, is not a good idea to use Fedora as your first distro. No matter what Red Hat shills tell you.

>>55908353
Themes are used according to its "library" (sort of). Like the gtk2 themes have certain way to be installed. You need to understand the instructions given, like where to put the files.
>>
>>55908124
Using Devuan here. You won't notice the diference unless you want to use the GNOME de.
>>
Is it normal for Ubuntu Software to only have the applications that came pre installed?
>>
File: Selection_510.png (33KB, 761x438px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_510.png
33KB, 761x438px
I just installed Dolphin, but something is off.
Why don't I have any icons?
>>
>>55908440
What? You mean in the software center? Because you can always install more from the software center, you only need internet connection.
>>
>>55908447
wtf? i am not familiar with an option to use only text on dolphin, you might have fuken something

try installing some icons from gnomelook into your ~/.icons directory
>>
File: worker-config-ui-colors.png (28KB, 821x530px) Image search: [Google]
worker-config-ui-colors.png
28KB, 821x530px
Seriously, use worker. You can configure nearly everything and even ftp like in mc.

Obviously I am recommending this to intermediate or advanced users.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (278KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
278KB, 1440x900px
>>55908440
I have an internet connection (posting here), but with the exception of inkscape, all of the applications came pre installed. There is no other content.
>>
>>55908452
>>55908511
>>
>>55904075
It's hard to explain what to do because it depends on your situation. Wicd just works so it will help you out until you get on your feet. Hop on another computer and get wicd from somewhere (slackbuilds has previously packages for it iirc) and put the .tgz or .txz on a flash drive, put the flash drive in the slack computer, mount it, installpkg the file, and run wicd, then wicd-gtk. This should work, unless you're 64 bit, in which case the install may have fucked up, which means you need to `cp /usr/lib/python-2.7/site-packages/wicd* /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages`. Now run `wicd` then `wicd-gtk`. This gives you a nice pretty menu to work with.

Manual network config can be hard if you've never done it before, so this will at least get you started and will at least confirm that there is no larger problem.
>>
>>55908511
Do you see the the orange bag icon with an a? Click it, is a free software "market".
>>
Can I
git-apply patch
to an installed package? Do I need the source code and compile it with the patch?
>>
What's wrong with ElementaryOS?
>>
>>55908575
Doesn't fulfill some geeks aesthetical expectations. Maybe use GMac instead, is just an Ubuntu theme.
>>
File: Screenshot1.png (437KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot1.png
437KB, 1440x900px
>>55908546
Thanks for the help, I understand what it's supposed to be. I just can't figure out why it isn't showing me anything other than pre-loaded applications. Here's an example of what I'm seeing.
>>
>>55905760
firefox ESR
>>
File: Weeb_background_in_my_wm.png (184KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Weeb_background_in_my_wm.png
184KB, 1024x768px
>>55908305
It actually is. At least you don't have to recompile to edit it. It's comparable to fucking with the CSS to 4chan
>>
>>55908618
Wait a sec, are you using a live cd?

Anyway, if you are not in a live cd, that shouldn't happen. You would need to reinstall the software center.
>>
>>55908651
ew those fonts
>>
>>55908651
Where is the config file? And, did you find any good online reference for customization?
>>
>>55908658

Yes! I am! Well, live usb drive--same thing right? Complete noob with this stuff. Just fucking around with this for the first time. Are you implying that I can't really use Software until I commit and install?
>>
>>55908667
Rendering really is shit, but I blame the resolution more than anything.

>>55908682
One guy did a "walkthrough" through it on the Ubuntu forums, and it doesn't have a conventional config file. It has a
usr/share/blackbox/styles
folder that you put .txt files into.
>>
>>55908700
Oh ok, no, is not the same thing. Either install it first in a virtual machine or commit to have access to the software.

>>55908710
Thanks bud. If I recall well, the only thing bothersome is the taskbar, which is not what I want, although there not many choices in taskbars out there.
>>
>>55908745
Ok, will do. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
>>
>>55908752
Don't forget to make a backup of important files, having the correct version (32 bit or 64 bit), installing the non-free repository (although this might come pre-installed), and installing pulse audio manager if the audio gives you any problem.
>>
>>55908570
>Do I need the source code and compile it with the patch?
Yes. Look at the diff file, it says at the top what file it's patching.
>>
File: Untitled.png (13KB, 144x336px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
13KB, 144x336px
wtf happened with my numbers?
>>
>>55908800
Ok, I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks again!
>>
How do I add things to a livecd?
>>
>>55908832
eww, your fonts
>>
Need some major assistance. I was using Kali, go ahead and laugh, just fine this morning until a while back when it stopped detecting my wired connection. I think that happened right after I had to close a135mb text file that hogged all the memory. I tried a bunch of shit and I ultimately deleted my network and network-manager folders, thinking I could reinstall it. Now I can't get them back in as Kali can't connect to the internet. What should I do?
>>
>>55908864
>download debian netinstall
>burn in cd
>install devian
>install katoolin
>???
>profit
>>
>>55908832
You're using a shit font
>>
>>55908422
What do you use it for? Did you update or was it s fresh install?
>>
>>55908832
DELETE THIS
>>
>>55908914
My main desktop. Wanted to learn GNU/Linux in depth before going and did a non DE install. I did tested a DE in a virtual machine and it works. Sure, some packages aren't present like GNOME, but everything runs fine and is more stable because that is the reason Devuan exists.
>>
>>55908851
>>55908899
>>55908943

>3 replies
>all shitpost

Guess I'll ask again later...
>>
>>55908981
Is your fonts.
>>
>>55908886
Is there ANY way to do this without burning anything onto a cd
>>
>>55909001
Burning a usb.
lsblk
cp /path/to/debian.iso /dev/sdX

where X is the letter corresponding to your usb, without numbers.
>>
>>55903410
export your VM to Virtualbox and see if it happens as well.
>>
>>55909016
Well I meant without having to use any physical storage device. Guess I'll just reinstall Kali tomorrow. That should fix it right?
>>
>>55909046
You do know Kali is a security liability because you use the root user all the time right?

But yeah, it should fix it.
>>
>>55908963
Where can I see if certain packages exist in Devuan.
>>
>>55908981
>gets answer
>thinks it's a shitpost
ok anon, good luck with that.
>>
>>55909069
If I recall somewhere in the Devuan page is a list. Try it in a vm like I did to see if it has all you want. Is adding a lot fast anyway, so remember to check often if you don't find what you are looking.
>>
>>55909063
I had heard something about that. Thanks
>>
Lads I'm having trouble trying to install windows and Linux.
I deleted all partitions.
Did a clean install of windows. Left space unallocated
Now trying to install Linux I'm stuck.
Idk how to partition the drive.
Dev/sda1 is the windows loader.
Dev/sda2 is the windows system.

Now what should I do?
Create a third big NTFS partition to store my files and be able to access them from both Linux and windows and then a fourth partition for Linux? Or what?
>>
I'm using VMware player (free) to virtualize Ubuntu, Mint and ElementaryOS on a Razer Blade 2016 version and every OS I try to run seems to have some kind of hardware issue.

On mint is doesn't recognize the full screen resolution (3200x1800)

On Ubuntu it crashes frequently, usually throwing a display error

EOS won't install at all.

Any tips?
>>
>>55909168
Didn't people trying to dualboot need to install Linux in FAT? It was because you need to install GRUB in the MBR.
>>
>>55909192
I did it years ago but honestly I don't remember.
>>
>>55909206
Yeah, long time since I had windows in my machine too.

Feels good ;^)
>>
Are there any good alternatives to play flash media without Adobe's plugin? Adobe Flash is giving me too many problems on Linux.
>>
>>55909227
If it is the audio install pulseaudio manager.

There is a way to be completely free and have a sane audio by default without pulsecrap but haven't got to do it yet.
>>
File: abrain.jpg (73KB, 776x768px) Image search: [Google]
abrain.jpg
73KB, 776x768px
Best Text Editor for Linux?

> Vi master race
>>
Just got manjaro on shitbook and while i can download and install packages i cant update the system or anything in general for shit also installed packages as well as already included shit cannot be launched
the only thing i could launch are settings, fireofx and the terminal
what the fuck
>>
>>55909179
Try re-installing, sounds like the boot was not installed properly.
>>
Fresh install of Debian Testing on my T420.

XFCE / i3 / MATE / OpenBox & tint2

Stuck for choice chaps, any recommendations?
>>
>>55905320
>class D water bender.jpg
>>
File: snapshot_7574.png (369KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot_7574.png
369KB, 1280x720px
Ratpoison + worker + sxiv = heaven
>>
>>55907485
>README
>INSTALL
did you try those?
>>
>>55909327
How much experience?
Just starting? Mate.
Advanced? i3.
>>
Fresh install of Debian Jessie 8.5 here. I'm wondering if I made the right choice by going with stable. Using the PC for every day use, mainly programming and other basic stuff. What is the main reason to use testing over stable?
>>
Any QEMU/KVM knowers here?

I switched to it from VirtualBox a couple of days ago. Its pretty nice to use but I was wondering if there was a way to increase the abound of video memory (VBox allows up to 256 MB).

Alternatively, I could use VGA passthrough since I have two GPU's. I have hardware I believe to be listed as comatible, but having followed this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Setting_up_IOMMU , I was unable to get it working. Specifically, doing 'dmesg|grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU' reports: that iommu is enabled, and on the next line: 'vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered).' Any ideas? I have enabled virtualization in BIOS and the BIOS should be of a suitable version, and I have iommu enabled in grub's kernel options.
>>
>>55909360
Have experience with all of them, just stuck for choice really, been using i3 on my main machine for 3 years and it's been solid
>>
>>55909388
Not wanting old as fuck packages?
>>
>>55909168
Lads pls halp
>>
>>55909428
Wait, you don' know how to partition the drive? Install gparted. Is also available for windows but I advice using gparted live, which is a distro to exclusively use as live cd to troubleshoot. You can partition then.
>>
> Running Linux
> Log onto Facebook from Firefox

Is Facebook stealing all of my photos and information? My drive is encrypted and I sometimes post funny pictures to chats.
>>
>>55909460
I do know. I just don't know if I should create a big NTFS partition before or after the Linux partition...my autism is killing me. Please.help.
>>
>>55909388
debian unstable means testing
debian testing means stable
debian stable means ancient

Unless you have a really good reason, like wanting to set up a server and never having to mess with it for a few years, you really should go with testing.
>>
>>55909426
>https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
Is this the right place to download testing? Just wanna make sure I'm getting the right thing.
>>
>>55909509
and if so, do I get Official, Weekly, or Daily? So many options, making me confused.
>>
>>55909509
You don't have to download testing if you already have Debian. Search a little bit more.
>>
>>55909580
Nice. This makes me happy, I really didn't want to have to reinstall. I found the guide how to do it. Thanks.
>>
>>55909338
you couldn't pay me to use that ugly ass setup
>>
Is there a web based ssh client?
>>
Who's that greasy hobo?
>>
Just stopping in to remind you all of Moebuntu.
>>
>>55909490
How can your autism not stop you from wanting to use a shitty filesystem?
>>
>>55909722
It works
>>
>>55909389
There is your machine`s xml file in /etc/libvirt/qemu
Just edit it by hand and you can put in more memory.
I have no idea why virt manager wont let you do it, but who needs guis anyway?

As for passthrough i set it up only once and it worked for me right away after following guide, so cant really help with that.
>>
>>55906853

Task buttons > iconified tasks tab
>>
>>55907698

Because normal people don't use the word comfy to describe an operating system. Normal people aren't suffering from idiocy like you are.
>>
>>55908072

>apparently i'm a power user who needs different system management tools
>but at the same time i am not familiar with the consequences of messing with the low-level and foundation of an operating system

Kill yourself, pretentious, "i-can't-think-for-myself-and-have-to-follow-the-latest-trends" idiot.
>>
>>55908447

Took me 12 seconds to find why by searching the internet.
>>
Another pleb here looking to get off the Windows ride. I've been distro-hopping and getting the basics for a couple of days, however I'm now going to install a distro on my main computer and see how it works.

Looking for:
>Rolling release, something that only needs updating instead of reinstalling the OS.
>Doesn't require regular maintenance, i don't mind if takes forever to set up the first time as long as i don't have to redo shit in the future.
>Stability, because as i said i don't want to reformat or having the OS randomly shitting itself
>Support for all my proprietary shit like Steam, gpu drivers, etc

Any suggestions?
>>
>>55910143
Share pls you're clearly smarter than I am.
>>
>>55910228
I hope you chose nvidia.
>>
>>55910259
Yeah, Intel + nvidia like a good goy.
>>
Ggg
>>
>>55910228
Antergos. It's basically Arch with an installer and a few extras. You can choose to install drivers and Steam on the installer, otherwise do it post-install. Also select the LTS kernel so you have a backup.
>>
>>55910247

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qt#Configuration_of_Qt5_apps_under_environments_other_than_KDE
>>
>>55909276
gedit and nano for most things.
>>
>>55909016
I prefer dd. Same result right?
>>
>>55910266
Arch has pretty much the best wiki in existence but non-linux stuff isn't going to be a cakewalk to set up.

I've never known a linux distro to be inherently unstable, but you'll probably want to avoid gentoo because (my experience from several years ago) setting the wrong compile flags or whatever can be a real fuckin' pain and lead to instability.

Nothing really requires maintenance or updates all that often. Maybe if you're going to be running services, or not behind a layer or two of NAT you might need security updates super-often.
>>
File: Selection_511.png (66KB, 766x457px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_511.png
66KB, 766x457px
>>55910311
Well that kind of worked. Fixed some icons but I'm missing thumbnails on literally everything.

I have all the image file preview packages thingies from here installed too. So I have no idea what's going wrong.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dolphin

Maybe I'll just use Nautilus or Nemo instead.
>>
>>55910307
Noted, dl'ing it now.

>>55910344
From my distro-hopping experience i had issues with Ubuntu and openSUSE which is why i stated "stability" as a point.

Ubuntu and Xubuntu were occasionally popping up windows about things crashing or stopping unexpectedly completely unrelated to what i was doing, for example a package crashed when browsing with Firefox and prompted me to restart.

Also i never even managed to log into openSUSE because it kept getting stuck when it was loading things at the start.
>>
>>55910501
I've had those errors come up (mostly on Ubuntu) but the LTS versions are much more stable (16.04 and 14.04). You can disable the error reporting shit and usually you can just log out and back in if something really fucked up.
>>
>>55910501
It should be noted the gaming experience is better suited for Windows 10. Better to dual boot and onpynuse Windows for gaming.
>>
>>55910588
I remember reading about using my iGPU for Linux and the normal GPU for a Windows VM for near native performance. Can i do this with Antergos?

Also i don't play anything that uses dx10 or higher so I'll just use 7 if something doesn't work on Linux.
>>
>>55910631
If you cpuld domit on Ubuntu, you can do it on an Arch based distribution (maybe slight differences in the way that can be achieved as I found out when trying to update GRUB).
>>
new on manjaro, recommended software thats good to have?
>>
>>55910651
Damn sucks typing on a phone.
>>
>>55910657
gnome-disks
>>
File: 1470165554108.png (447KB, 930x718px) Image search: [Google]
1470165554108.png
447KB, 930x718px
>>55910108
Sounds like somebody couldn't install Arch.
>>
>>55907698
>arch systemdnix/openbloat feminismanager
>"comfy"
>moeshit yurifag anime

Wow look at this scumbag

Void/dwm master race
>>
Sometimes when everything freezes, how do I stop or restart my DE/WM?
>>
>>55910777
Wow take your hipster trash somewhere else, insecure faggot
>>
>>55910863
Ctrl Alt Backspace, otherwise make a keyboard shortcut to terminate the session/logout.
>>
>>55910863
>facebook filename
>>
>>55910882
What happens when the keyboard shortcuts don't work? If the DE is frozen, they won't work as well
>>55910884
You can't track the post back :^)
>>
>>55910891
Who is delty?
>>
How is Slackware these days? Is there any reason to use it over the alternatives or is it just for oldfag nostalgia?
>>
best musicplayer on manjaro?
>>
>>55910876
Better than your shitty not-fedora distro and trash WM that's more bloated and less featureful than all of its predecessors

>hurr but crunchbang used it
>>
>>55910897
IDK
>>
>>55910917
Speak English, autistic shitstain
>>
>>55910947
That is English. But you're retarded enough to use arch+memebox, so I wouldn't expected you to understand anything.
>>
>>55910986
>slipping up in this post of all posts

welp

it's over

see you in gensokyo
>>
How can I select text in weechat? Looks like default bindings for left click dragging is to switch buffers.
>>
>>55911044
read the weechat manual
use a wrapper like tmux
give up on legacy tech like terminals and use GUIs
>>
mpv was working with ac3/dts passthrough yesterday, and I have no idea what i've changed other than rebooting.
>>
>>55911065
>give up on legacy tech like terminals and use GUIs
Look at this newfag right there.
>>
>>55911065
Well, thanks for nothing. ;_;
>>
>>55911044
When mouse support is enabled, you need to hold SHIFT and then select like you normally would.
>>
New Thread: >>55911201
>>
>>55911149
Thanks!
>>
>>55904591
If you want AUR and like the Arch wiki try Manjaro or Antergos.
Got Antergos on my laptop for 3 months or so now and not a single thing has broken yet.
>>
>>55902693
>Friendly
>/g/
TOP KEK
>>
>>55907837
>>55908042
>gaming (obviously)
If you really wanna play games, steer clear of Linux. It just isn't the same as on Windows. Harsh truth. But then again, running Linux and complaining about not being able to run games well is the same as buying a bulldozer and complain that it is not as good as a stationcar for taking the kids for hockeypractice. Different tools for different jobs.
Me personally run Linux as daily driver and those once or twice a week I want to play a game of whatever, I boot into my stripped-almost-naked-with-only-the-bare-essentials-for-gaming Windows installation.
Works better for me than trying to get a game to run halfway decent on Linux.
To reiterate: if you mainly want to play videogames don't install Linux. Not worth the trouble.

>drivers for shit not working on linux
Almost everything works perfectly out of the box.

>what dist
If you're doing babbys first Linux, go for *buntu or Mint. They are very user friendly and easy to use. Lacks some functionality though but for first Linux the ease of use more than makes up for it imo.

>are there language options, (need to be able to type japanese or I literally won't use it)
Never checked but yeah, I guess so.

>how well does it actually run in terms of startup and shutdown and shit compared to windows
Better. Or well, better than win7 for me at least. Never bothered to 'upgrade' to win10

>Or is it some shit people fiddle with all day just to have slightly less bloat and make themselves feel good, rather than actually just use their computers.
Well, there are many such Linux users. Special little snowflake for using Linux you know...
>>
>>55902693
rms looks like a drowned man from the iron islands
>>
>>55903410
>>55903642

Yep, you were right. I finally did figure out how to fix the resize window issue, but running just one YouTube video showed me VMware shouldn't be used.

At least I now know I can install Debian when I get around to configuring a dual boot.
>>
>>55909241
What on earth does pulseaudio have to do with flash content?
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.