[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How smart is /b/?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: coinsprob.jpg (45KB, 370x277px) Image search: [Google]
coinsprob.jpg
45KB, 370x277px
How smart is /b/?
>>
3/4
>>
>>724128812
50%
>>
>>724128812
About tree fiddy. Now stop being cancer.
>>
>>724128812
>>
>>724128897
>>724128898
>>724128962

All wrong so far. Jesus Christ, /b/.
>>
File: 71289051.jpg (101KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
71289051.jpg
101KB, 500x325px
>>
3/9
>>
>>724128812
Black guy grabs them in the air.
>>
3/4
>>
25% easy
>>
1/3

This is the actual answer to the question and how its asked. If you say anything else you dont understand the question or how propability works, its a trick question made to get you to say 1/2 which is wrong.
█░░░█░█░█░█░░███░█░░███░░▀█▀░▀█░█░░░██
██░██░▀░█░█░▀███░█░▀███░▀▄█░▀░█░██░███
██░██░▄░█░█▄░███░█▄░███░▄▀█░▄░█░██░███
██░██░█░█░█░░███░█░░███░░▄█░█░█░██░█░█
██████████████████████████████████████
███████▀▀░░░▄███████████▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░▀▀▀
█████▀░░░░▄██████▀▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
███▀░░▄█▄████▀▀░░░▄▄▄█████████████████
███░░█████▀▀░░▄▄██████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░
███▄░░░▀▀░░▄▄████████▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████▄▄▄▄██████▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████▄▄▄░░░▀██▀░░░░░░░░░░
████████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███████████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
>>
>>724129074
T/T - doesnt exist
H/T
T/H
H/H
out of the remaining three options, only one is heads/heads. so its 1/3, not 2/3
>>
File: yummy.jpg (62KB, 645x485px) Image search: [Google]
yummy.jpg
62KB, 645x485px
THIS THREAD
>>
>>724129222
oh. you fixed it. gj.
>>
>>724129222
retard nigger
>>
>>724129074
>>724129222
embarrassing. Everyone laugh at this guy
>>
Correct answer to OP is 3/4.

http://www.math-only-math.com/probability-of-tossing-two-coins.html

Don't just guess. Go learn you fucking imbeciles. You have this vast resource available, engines which will deliver any information you desired, and you can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to learn something. You just guess.

Disgusting.
>>
>>724129358
yeah i derped, havent seen this thread in a long time.
>>
>>724128812

Don't be pathetic, there's a formula for this and if you know the formula you just insert the figures like a fucking child in school. Go invent something, improve something or create then come back and say you're smart.
>>
>>724128812
33% if they are flipped and then someone tells you at least one is heads
50% if one always lands heads
>>
>>724129510
the fuck?
>>
File: 1481341149909.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1481341149909.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>724129510
>http://www.math-only-math.com/probability-of-tossing-two-coins.html

can you even read
>>
it's not quite 1/3 because the other coin had a small chance of landing on its edge
>>
>>724129461
>phone poster
Turn it to the side faggot
>>
>>724129510
All that talk and in the end you are wrong.

Go test it, it really is 1/3, you have 2 coins dont you?
>>
>>724129510
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit
>>
>>724128812
100%
>>
>>724128812
OP's question is worded in such a way as to give an intuitive answer.

>There are 4 possibilities of 2 coins being flipped. TT, HT, TH, HH.
>So the chance of one of them both being heads up is 1/4
>However the phrasing adds "given that at least one of them landed heads
>This removes the possibility of TT, so now you only have 3 possibilities, HH, HT, TH

So the answer to the retarded question is 1/3. But the odds of 2 coins both landing heads up, period, is 1/4. Now everybody fuck off
>>
File: coinsprobfags.png (16KB, 590x491px) Image search: [Google]
coinsprobfags.png
16KB, 590x491px
>>724129222
>its a trick question

It's a basic conditional probability question, you retard.

But you're correct, the answer is 1/3.
>>
>>724129510

You're a bit stupid, aren't you?
>>
>>724130128
well we understand it, i sayd its a trick question because a vast majority of these idiots dont understand it and claim its 1/2 with astonishing certainty.

Our intuition would say its 1/2 because propability is very counterintuitive.
>>
>>724128812
1/2 stupid cuck
>>
>>724128812

It depends. It's a complex balance between the metallurgic components of the coin, bacterial density of the air, and the coin tosser's limp-wristed faggotry percentage (it affects spin dynamics).

Trust me, I'm an amateur chef.
>>
>>724130001

>conditional probability is retarded

Damn, you're a dumb motherfucker.

But yes, the answer is 1/3.
>>
>>724130275

Being too dumb to understand the question and the solution does not mean the question is trying to trick you.

It's a pretty basic conditional probability question. No tricks needed. people just get it wrong because they're unfamiliar with probability.
>>
it's rigged: 100%
>>
>>724130506

I rigged your mom last night.
>>
>>724130491
yes, because its counterintuivite, like i sayd, im glad we agree.
>>
>>>/y/o>>>/lit/isten>>>/u/p>>>/h/eres>>>/a/>>>/s/tory>>>/a/bout>>>/a/>>>/lit/ittle>>>/g/uy>>>/t/hat>>>/lit/ives>>>/i/n>>>/a/>>>/b/lue>>>/w/orld>>>/a/nd>>>/a/ll>>>/d/ay>>>/a/nd>>>/a/ll>>>/n/ight>>>/a/nd>>>/e/verything>>>/h/e>>>/s/ees>>>/i/s>>>/jp/ust>>>/b/lue>>>/lit/ike>>>/h/im>>>/i/nside>>>/a/nd>>>/o/utside>>>/b/lue>>>/i/s>>>/h/is>>>/h/ouse>>>/w/ith>>>/a/>>>/b/lue>>>/lit/ittle>>>/w/indow>>>/a/nd>>>/a/>>>/b/lue>>>/c/orvette>>>/a/nd>>>/e/verything>>>/i/s>>>/b/lue>>>/f/or>>>/h/im>>>/a/nd>>>/h/imself>>>/a/nd>>>/e/verybody>>>/a/round>>>/c/ause>>>/h/e>>>/a/int>>>/g/ot>>>/n/obody>>>/t/o>>>/lit/isten>>>/t/o>>>/i/m>>>/b/lue>>>/d/a>>>/b/a>>>/d/ee>>>/d/a>>>/b/a>>>/d/ie>>>/i/>>>/h/ave>>>/a/>>>/b/lue>>>/h/ouse>>>/w/ith>>>/a/>>>/b/lue>>>/w/indow>>>/b/lue>>>/i/s>>>/t/he>>>/c/olour>>>/o/f>>>/a/ll>>>/t/hat>>>/i/>>>/w/ear>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/s/treets>>>/a/nd>>>/a/ll>>>/t/he>>>/t/rees>>>/a/re>>>/t/oo>>>/i/>>>/h/ave>>>/a/>>>/g/irlfriend>>>/a/nd>>>/s/he>>>/i/s>>>/s/o>>>/b/lue>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/p/eople>>>/h/ere>>>/t/hat>>>/w/alk>>>/a/round>>>/b/lue>>>/lit/ike>>>/m/y>>>/c/orvette>>>/i/ts>>>/s/tanding>>>/o/utside>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/w/ords>>>/i/>>>/s/ay>>>/a/nd>>>/w/hat>>>/i/>>>/t/hink>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/f/eelings>>>/t/hat>>>/lit/ive>>>/i/nside>>>/m/e>>>/i/m>>>/b/lue>>>/d/a>>>/b/a>>>/d/ee>>>/d/a>>>/b/a>>>/d/ie>>>/i/>>>/h/ave>>>/a/>>>/b/lue>>>/h/ouse>>>/w/ith>>>/a/>>>/b/lue>>>/w/indow>>>/b/lue>>>/i/s>>>/t/he>>>/c/olour>>>/o/f>>>/a/ll>>>/t/hat>>>/i/>>>/w/ear>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/s/treets>>>/a/nd>>>/a/ll>>>/t/he>>>/t/rees>>>/a/re>>>/t/oo>>>/i/>>>/h/ave>>>/a/>>>/g/irlfriend>>>/a/nd>>>/s/he>>>/i/s>>>/s/o>>>/b/lue>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/p/eople>>>/h/ere>>>/t/hat>>>/w/alk>>>/a/round>>>/b/lue>>>/lit/ike>>>/m/y>>>/c/orvette>>>/i/ts>>>/s/tanding>>>/o/utside>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/w/ords>>>/i/>>>/s/ay>>>/a/nd>>>/w/hat>>>/i/>>>/t/hink>>>/b/lue>>>/a/re>>>/t/he>>>/f/eelings>>>/t/hat>>>/lit/ive>>>/i/nside>>>/m/e>>>/i/m>>>/b/lue>>>/d/a>>>/b/a>>>/d/ee
>>
>>724130355
>You explained the answer but pointed out that, in this context, it is shitty
>Better call you dumb
In this context if IS retarded, because it is a question selected to elicit argument over an incredibly simple probability. It doesn't make the field stupid, it just IS stupid.

So go suck an irrational dick
>>
File: education has failed.png (17KB, 862x525px) Image search: [Google]
education has failed.png
17KB, 862x525px
here, even visualized for downies
>>
>>724128812

2 in 3.
>>
>>724130869
this
>>
P(A) = 50%
P(B) = 50%
P(AnB) = 25%
P(B|A) = P(AnB)/P(A) = 0.25/0.5 = 0.5 = 50%

Yeah, if you interpret the prompt a different way you get 33%. If you ever take an actual statistics course the prompt won't be some vaguely-worded trick bullshit and the answer will be 50%
>>
The enitre premise that there are 4 outcomes stems from the idea that T H and H T are seperate results. Therefore, if we're taking out T T we also have to take out either T H or H T depending which of the coins landed heads, because if say the left one lands first as heads, the outcome couldn't POSSIBLY be T H. So even after this nonsensical equation of probability, the answer is still 50% even if we're playing by the equation's rules.
>>
1/3
>>
>>724131313

>not including the condition in your Bayes' solution

Absolutely disgusting.

>What is the probability that BOTH coins landed heads, given that AT LEAST ONE coin landed heads?

So here

A = "both coins are heads" = {(HH)} = 1/4
B = "at least one coin is heads" = {(HH), (HT), (TH)} = 3/4

P(A|B) = P(A∩B)/(P(B)) = (1/4)/(3/4) = 1/3
>>
File: coinss.jpg (119KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
coinss.jpg
119KB, 1600x900px
>>724131537
>if we're taking out T T we also have to take out either T H or H T

No you don't, you retarded cunt.

HH, HT, and TH all satisfy the condition of having at least 1 heads coin and are therefore legitimate and equally probable outcomes.

You'd understand this if you were mathematically literate but you're just a fool who is convinced he is correct even when you are presented with

>Punnet square
>Bayes' solution
>probability tree
>Venn diagram

KYS, lad, or at least try to understand probability before posting pure shit like you just did.

Pic Related: 1/3
>>
>>724131537
the trick here is that we dont know which of the coins is the one that was told to land heads, the question doesnt tell us that, therefore T H and H T are still 2 separate options.

You can even test it if you can 2 coins, just start flipping, ignore TT and see how many of the remaining flips are HH, the answer is 1/3 because TH and HT take the other 2/3.
>>
File: coinsprob (2).jpg (15KB, 461x366px) Image search: [Google]
coinsprob (2).jpg
15KB, 461x366px
50% fags BTFO

1/3
>>
>>724131670
You know what? You're right. I fucked up. Thanks for explaining it instead of just calling me a retard
>>
>>724132021
>trick
There is no trick

>which of the coins is the one that was told to land heads
>told to land heads
What?

Look, anon, you're right. the answer is 1/3, but try to explain it more clearly please.
>>
File: 1487676245020.png (902KB, 624x601px) Image search: [Google]
1487676245020.png
902KB, 624x601px
>>724131923
>Coin 1 lands heads: possible outcomes -> H H, H T

>Coin 2 lands heads: possible outcomes -> H H, T H

Still 50%, get cucked
>>
>>724132296
You listed 3 possible outcomes.

HH is 1 of them.

1 of 3

1/3

Congratz on proving me right without even realizing it, moron.
>>
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

If one coin is guaranteed to be heads already you can just remove it from the equation.

The remaining question is what's the probability of heads or tails for one coin which is 50%
>>
>>724134162
like told earlier, we dont know which of the coins is the heads, go test it with 2 coins, its quite simple after you get it.
>>
>>724134162
>If one coin is guaranteed to be heads

no. At least 1 coin is heads. it could be either coin, meaning either coin could be tails, just not both simultaneously, which is why you can't
>just remove it from the equation

Flip 2 coins. there are 4 equally probable outcomes possible:
HH
HT
TH
TT

At least 1 landed heads. Only TT no longer satisfies the condition. The other 3 outcomes do satisfy the condition and are equally likely to have occurred.

1/3
>>
>>724134657
Ok lad answer me this; if H T and T H are completely different outcomes, then surely H(1) H(2) is different from H(2) H(1), and likewise T(1) T(2) is different fromm T(2) T(1) in which case, surely the final chance of probability should be 4/6, should it not?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.