[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - science fiction and fantasy general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 55

File: 1462377427740.jpg (461KB, 2048x1437px) Image search: [Google]
1462377427740.jpg
461KB, 2048x1437px
starship troopers edition

Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9221588
>>9212630
>>9202214
>>9189440
>>9180806
>>9168106
>>
File: sourdough-bread-loaf.desktop.jpg (44KB, 617x347px) Image search: [Google]
sourdough-bread-loaf.desktop.jpg
44KB, 617x347px
>>9231981
what's some good /sff/ books with bread
>>
>>9231989
My good sir have you heard of Redwall?
>>
Female warriors ruin books with the sole exception of the female warrior in the Last Sacrifice.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
FIRST FOR CHARTS
>>
File: 1478368104869.jpg (78KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
1478368104869.jpg
78KB, 780x585px
>>9232077
the genres are all fucked man
>>
>>9232150
>forcing genres
>>
>>9232057
Deed of Paks is female warrior and it's great
>>
>>9232077
Tell me about Johannes Cabal, Kevin.
>>
>>9232259
(not chart autist)
First book is really fun, it's more of a black comedy that a straight fantasy.

Followups not so much. Author's other stuff is nautical scifi and pretty okay
>>
>>9232253
>female warrior
DROPPED
>>
>>9232314
>>9232057
If you think female warriors are bad, what about "strong female characters" in urban fantasy? I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop a show because some blond floozie in a leather jacket wheelies in on a street bike.

I'll take female warriors any day, thank you very much.
>>
>>9232319
>thank you very much
everyone who says this sounds like an absolute cunt
>>
>>9232323
well I only am sometimes.
nice get.
>>
File: a twig.jpg (60KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
a twig.jpg
60KB, 500x628px
>>9232319
I hate when the only way for a female to be tough is to take on men twice her size and make shitty emasculating quips. Especially when these women taking on men are skinny little twigs. Give me some muscle girls damn it.
>>
>>9232330
yes, exactly! I want women with more of a personality than "zingers about fighting like a girl dispenser"
>>
>>9232319
>in urban fantasy
Don't read lol
>thank you very much
everyone who says this sounds like an absolute cunt
>>
File: taloshelmets.jpg (363KB, 1600x1132px) Image search: [Google]
taloshelmets.jpg
363KB, 1600x1132px
Any recommendations for near-future military sci fi?
>>
>>9232345
man just go on the archie and search "near future military sci-fi"

people give tons of great reccs
>>
File: Suggestion Chart.jpg (699KB, 1000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Suggestion Chart.jpg
699KB, 1000x4000px
>>9232259
What old pulp books are you reading Vince?
>>
I get that they're popular, but how are the Malazan books? I'm looking to get into a good, deep fantasy series.
>>
File: Carpimp.jpg (110KB, 925x651px) Image search: [Google]
Carpimp.jpg
110KB, 925x651px
If you haven't read Lord of the Rings, please don't post in this thread until you read it.
>>
>>9232500
I don't read bad books.
>>
How many fantasy books should I read before writing one?
>>
>>9232566
>>
>>9232566
Two
lord of the rings
malthazan
>>
>>9232566
more than you ever will
>>
>>9232566
don't read any.
>>
>>9232319
I've posted about this before but it's really autistic how genre authors always take "strong female character" to mean "literally strong and tough" rather than "strongly written".
>>
>>9232793
Yeah. It's ruined a lot of books for me. In fact, I flat out refused to read books with females mcs for nearly two decades because of it.

Except, oddly enough, YA. For some reason, YA fantasy is the only genre that consistently has good female characters. Don't ask me why.
>>
>>9232454
Who?
>>
>>9232314
honestly you lot would probably like it

It's female author/female mc but the author is an ex-military no mosque on ground zero type and the book has a pretty blatant christian message.
>>
>>9232253
The first book anyways. The second and third are:
>paks repeatedly gets owned by the badguys

>>9232500
I read the R. A. Salvatore novelizations of the movies, do those count?
>>
http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

how legit is this site?
>>
>>9233020
It must be true. I've never seen someone use hyperbole on the internet and get away with it before.
>>
>>9233020
Utter garbage, just like when it was brought up a few threads back.
>>
So I'm reading Leviathan Wakes and I just got to the part where Miller and Holden meet up. Is it just me or has the writing just completely dropped off a cliff. It wasn't the best before, but it's starting to read like fan fiction tier now.

Really considering dropping the book because of it, which is a shame because 100 pages ago I was really enjoying it.
>>
>>9233017
Nah it's 1 book military fantasy 1 book of job/heroic struggle and then a magic fantasy conclusion
>>
>>9233147
HOLY SHIT GET OFF THAT FUCKING ASTEROID ASAP

But seriously just give it some more time. Only the last parts are bad/strange for lack of a better word but rather for story reasons and not the actual writing.
>>
>>9233147
it's all downhill from there, both as a single novel and a series
>>
>>9232476
Then maybe you'll like malazan.The first book might not be the best to get an idea,so I would suggest you to read at least at books 2 (or 3 'cause it will give you a lots of answers) .
>>
>>9232504
Haha made me chuckle, duder. That was one solid post!
>>
>mfw people said Sanderson writes good fight scenes
fuckin memes
>>
>>9233147
I like it. Powered through all six books in the last few weeks. Solid writing, well structured universe and the weirdness would only be off putting to someone with end stage autism.

The "weirdness" is most definitely in reference to alien technology that is eluded to but not yet explained... It is all just interesting side notes at the moment and I have no doubt that the writers are going to pull through.
>>
>>9233502
Why all the hate to Sanderson?
I can't tell by his another works (i didn't read it yet), but at least the way of kings is pretty good in my opinion (i'm going to start with WoR).
And yes, the fight scenes are pretty good too...
>>
Jerek from grim company is goat
>>
>>9232566
By law, none. But I reckon working authors will be familiar with the most well known works by Tolkein, Dunsany, Howard, Leiber, Wolfe, Le Guin, Gavriel Kay, GRRM. That's as well as a working knowledge of what contemporary authors (competitors) are doing.

Somebody like Brandon Sanderson knows them all and more. You just have to hear him talk to know that. And I don't think his Tarantino-esque appreciation of the genre is unusual among his profession either.

>>9233502
I've never read Sanderson (and I have a lot on my pile before then) but he did mention he liked Jackie Chan movies so I presume there's a little of that in his books?
>>
>>9233588
>>Somebody like Brandon Sanderson knows them all and more.
Not really. He's firmly rooted in post-1980 fantasy, I wouldn't give him familiarity with the Dunsany school of dreamlike descriptive fantasy or the Leiber school of adventure, and that's based on his work - if he has read them, they didn't leave an impression.

Now, Swanwick has read them. What he's done with them is something else but you can tell he has read them.
>>
>>9232566
You don't read fantasy to write fantasy.
>>
>>9233571
>do you know who I am
>some cunt

Bretty good
>>
I read Frederik Pohl's 1954 satirical short story The Midas Plague. Cheap energy and robotic industry means an overabundance of goods, and so every citizen must fulfill a consumption quota. By fulfilling their quota, people progress into a higher class of society where the amount of compulsory consumption is less. By this, the poor live in large mansions full of trinkets and grow fat while the rich live in simpler houses. The story follows a couple of newlyweds of a lower class as they negotiate and overcome the rules.

Overall this is a buoyant piece of satire which humorously explores explores a single idea. Domestic troubles, boozy antics, robotic shenanigans and group therapists; a bit like crossing Mad Men with I, Robot and Philip K Dick. It's a brisk piece of fun which deserves four out of five dinosaurs.
>>
If anyone here is interested, I've made a horror general:

>>>9233795
>>
>>9233859
Make it Horror & Mystery at least, like this thread is Fantasy & Scifi.
>>
>>9233869
I really want somewhere to talk about pulp crime novels desu
>>
File: 1482607219580.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1482607219580.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>9233859
>>
>>9233859
I've always thought sffg should include horror.
>>
>>9233877
I've really been craving some good locked room mysteries myself.
>>
>>9232841
Read Library at mount char, Sabriel, City of Stairs, The Thousand Names, Black Jewel Trilogy.

All female Mcs all good. Enjoy.
>>
>>9233844
Read that last year in Pohl's Midas World compilation. I also thought it was pretty good.
>>
>>9233734
That line inspired the comment desu
>>
>>9233992
Don't care
>>
>>9233880
You fucking autist. Horror falls under fantasy and scifi. They falls under the fantastical.
They are all fiction, but horror falls under fantasy and scifi depending on what mechanics the author uses.

>Some magical shit making people immortal, turning them inside out and multiplying their nerve endings sensitivity a thousand fold so they can experience never ending pain?
Fantasy.

>Some organic symbiosis machine that attaches to a person's pain centre in the brain to be used as a form of punishment?
Scifi.

Fantasy and Scifi covers all the headings of fiction. Even history fiction is fantasy because it didn't happen. I don't know what it is with you people and semantics.
>>
>>9234113
You know there's horror without fantastical elements, right?

Hell, there's even horror non fiction.
>>
>>9234121
Once it's a fantasy aka didn't happen. It falls under fantasy. It doesn't have to have fantastical elements.

Non fiction horror would probably be all the Nazi and american human experiments, war trench stories etc. History. meaning it has no dealing in a fiction general. But all the shit that didn't happen or is speculated to happen if so and so condition is met is fantasy.
>>
>finally get home after long day earning money for my son's tendie and reading habits.
>walk in the door and turn on my favorite show I've been waiting to watch all day.
>take off my work clothes, and ask my son how his day was and if he did any writing today. I see him staring at a blank page like every other time I come home. I mention that I'm watching a good show and he should come join me. He never wants to spend time with me.
>he mumbles something angrily under his breath so I walk off.

God I can't wait for him to move out
>>
>>9234138
So should we discuss Nabokov's fiction books in sffg because all those stories were made up?
>>
>>9234139
>walking around your son naked
pls be my mommy or daddy
>>
>>9234113
>Even history fiction is fantasy because it didn't happen.
What
>>
>>9234113
Horror and fantasy/science fiction are not the same.
This is like the argument in which Biology and Physiology needs to be a field in the General Physics because all the life beyond of being constituid by cells it's constituid in molecules and atoms.
There's fantasy and scifi works who use a little bit of horror by creating a better and realistic world, but the horror it's not a part in the general plot.
There's horror works which are set in a fantasy or science fiction world. The horror conforms the plot and the intention of the author for handle the story according to it's point of view to present his/her perspective to scare (generally) and sink the reader.
The objective are differents in the three genres for obvious reasons.
>>
>tfw promotional quotes printed inside book compare it to Cherryh
I highly doubt it.
>author is a woman
Oh, of course...
>>
Does Stranger in a Strange Land hold up?
>>
>>9234425
A fantasy novel about fucking banking (Dagger and Coin) has a promo quote on the first book comparing it to game of thrones just because it's what people know

>>9234477
not imo

author was already a bit off the rails by then
>>
>>9234477
Not at all. Read anything of his from before and nothing after.
>>
>>9234492
Harsh Mistress came after and is considered his best tho
>>
>>9231981
vampire novel that isn't faggy or overly degenerate?
>>
>>9234502
Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin
>>
>>9234502
my diary desu
>>
>>9234502
Fevre Dream
>>
>>9231981
Hey /sffg/ what are some novels that immersed you in so much that you wanted to go to the places in the novels? Or maybe even made you desperately want to meet one of the chraracters
>>
>>9234482
>A fantasy novel about fucking banking (Dagger and Coin
>Dagger and Coin
Rrrrrrrrrreeeeeee
>>
>>9234477
I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Although I didn't read his other works, so I don't know if it's better or worse than the others. I give it 4 modern out of 5.
>>
>>9234498
Did it? OK, Harsh Mistress is pretty good. I don't consider it his best, he was already trying too hard, it's no Door into Summer, but it's pretty good.
>>
Guy who posted >>9231243 here. Can someone help me out?
>>
File: rothfuss2.jpg (222KB, 1296x730px) Image search: [Google]
rothfuss2.jpg
222KB, 1296x730px
DONATE
>>
File: cheeseballs-2.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
cheeseballs-2.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>9234647
>cheese ball in his beard
kek
>>
>>9234573
>standing in space on a spaceship
>>
>>9234662
It's a mic
>>
how long has it been since a readable sff book last came out?

certainly nothing since 2017 started, and we're almost a quarter of the way through
>>
>>9234691
It's a station, not a ship, and he's not standing on it.
>>
>>9234498
The ending just killed that book for me.
I just love AI's too much.
>>
>>9234708
>asking for recommendations, but in a cunt way so you can avoid having to actually read anything
>>
>>9234843
I'm not asking for recs, I'm complaining about how shitty sff has gotten
>>
Anyone else notice that the majority of Philip K. Dick's characters are very unlikable? They're all self-centered, arrogant and anti-social. They're all smart as fuck, and conniving too. What does this reflect on Dick's part? As far as I know he generally wasn't very similar to his characters in the asshole department (except to women, to an extent). What gives?
>>
>>9234864
Sff has always been looking for diamonds in a shit pile
>>
>>9234708
The Erstwhile came out like a week ago, if it's anything close to Vorrh it'll be well worth a read

Jan and Feb are months in every industry where only unwanted crap gets pushed out
>>
Grim company spin off when
>>
Could anyone recommend some good mecha content? I'm specifically looking for books primarily focused on walker 'mechs.
>>
>>9231989
The bibel
>>
are there any long novels based on the kthulu mythos?
>>
>>9231989
Literally the fucking hunger games. bread is fucking everywhere the country is named bread in latin the love interest is a bread baker and there is literally one sexy loaf of bread every book.

It's YA trash and unoriginal YA trash at that, but there IS a reason it got popular despite squatting in the grass over the love triangle that teenagers gobble up like skittles. Also, bread.

>>9235128
I know IT is part of the mythos.

>>9234901
yeah, but these days you're lucky to find a sliver of amethyst stuck to a corn kernel
>>
TUC excerpt when?
>>
I'm the guy who started Malazan and posted in the thread 4 days ago saying that after three chapters it was just contextless proper nouns.

Most people just attacked me, but there was one anon who said that it was the point of Malazan, to piece together the puzzle and try to pick up on all the hints and things. I just want to say thanks anon, you changed my perspective and I've really been enjoying it now (9 chapters in).
>>
>>9234708
Why did you word a recommendation post in such a way. Can't you ask like a normal person?
Do you think we are redshit and will fall at your feet spewing book names?
>>
>>9234940
Bv Larson Mech series. Enjoy.

>>9234908
I heard grim company was a shitty black company clone and was recommended not to read it.
>>
>>9235315
... everyone told you it was the point of the book dropping you in the middle of the world and having you work shit out (me included). That anon just wrote a fucking thesis for you explaining why you should continue, which I didn't bother with because your ass looked like an infodump kinda cunt.

Anyways you're welcomed (it was my long ass post berating you for being a short attention span brainlet that made than anon post a longer ass post explaining why you should continue). I mean who just starts a book and expects to know everything?
>>
>>9235465
I didn't really know Malazan's or Erikson's reputation when I set out. I was going from having recently read Hobb/Nix/Sapkowski where things are explained more. Sure I'm used to holding things in reserve at the start to discover later, but the amount of things that need to be held in reserve seemed overwhelming and the chapters weren't linked at all at the time so it didn't seem like it was going to be revealed anytime soon.

Also the suggestion to read the Reread of the Fallen shit on Tor was great too, it made me realise that I was actually doing okay, and the things I didn't fully understand I wasn't supposed to yet.
>>
>>9234647
Why is DONATE a meme? Donate to what?
>>
File: pls associate me with this man.jpg (72KB, 254x191px) Image search: [Google]
pls associate me with this man.jpg
72KB, 254x191px
The lack of Wolfe-posting ITT is disappointing.

Just read 'Breakfast and Bed' and 'Petting Zoo.' It doesn't come up so much in his more well known works but Wolfe really seems to have a chip on his shoulder when it comes to modern society. I get the impression that if given the choice he'd prefer to have been a medieval peasant over a 20th century science-fiction writer and engineer.
>>
File: rothfuss.jpg (252KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
rothfuss.jpg
252KB, 1500x1125px
>>9235678
Worldbuilders, my charity.
>>
>>9235718
>aid for the developing world
spooky
>>
File: rothfuss4.jpg (34KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rothfuss4.jpg
34KB, 1280x720px
>>9235725
You're not a trump supporter are you anon?
Why haven't you donated to my charity?
>>
File: 1473564502071.jpg (50KB, 613x771px) Image search: [Google]
1473564502071.jpg
50KB, 613x771px
>>9235729
Is there a term for the fusion of neckbeard and numale? Nu-Beard?
>>
>>9234138
Are you retarded? As per your definition, all fiction books are fantasy or sci-fi. Every single one. What is wrong with you?
>>
File: rothfuss5.jpg (187KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
rothfuss5.jpg
187KB, 1200x800px
>>9235732
There's a term for people like you, and it's "disgusting biggot".
>>
>>9235747
He is right thou. All fiction is fiction. Meta-fiction?
>>
>>9235761
Yeah, but genre and definition are two completely different things and they're in no way interchangeable it's like saying everything edible is food.
>>
>>9234527
Daniel Abraham is an apostle ofGRRM. He wrote the graphic novels of the series.
>>
>>9235684
I feel I'm too dumb to read Wolfe. 95% of his references just fly past me. That map of Greece for Latro blew my mind though.
>>
>>9234908
As long as the fade and Sasha are never mentioned again.
>>
File: 81o0VcR+xzL.jpg (426KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
81o0VcR+xzL.jpg
426KB, 1200x1800px
Saw this at the bookstore and picked it up on a whim, having heard that the anime adaptation is good. It's... really bad.
>>
>>9236165
Apparently the prose is encyclopedic and moreover translations won't carry over the meaning of the original language anyway. Therefore, I'd give any translations of books a very wide berth.
>>
>>9236165
The translation is bad and to be honest the series is praised for being top tier anime rather than actually being good.
>>
File: 1368038294069.jpg (300KB, 640x2880px) Image search: [Google]
1368038294069.jpg
300KB, 640x2880px
>>9236191
>implying
>>
File: 515vQqS1G-L.jpg (55KB, 324x500px) Image search: [Google]
515vQqS1G-L.jpg
55KB, 324x500px
>>9235684
I'll attempt a Wolfe-post. I bought a copy of his retrospective short fiction compilation the other day. Haven't gotten around to reading it though. Skimmed the first story and it's written in second person... Interesting, because most of his novels are in first person, with the character supposedly writing the story; Severian wrote a memoir or something like that, Latro wrote memories on scrolls, Wizard Knight and Sorcerer's House are both letter correspondence. And speaking of medieval, all of the aforementioned books feature unconventional swords. Is Wolfe some kind of sword otaku?
>>
>>9234526
When young, Harry Potter.
>>
>>9235465
I'm the one who added malazan to my to-read list because of that altrucation. Currently a third through an it's interesting and engageing. And the audiobook narrator is great too.
Even though I feel I still don't think I completely understand what exactly a warren is.
>>
File: 1338260031278.png (235KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1338260031278.png
235KB, 1200x900px
>>9236165
Just watch the anime instead
>>
>>9236227
Wolfe is a medieval/classics otaku. And 'The Best of Gene Wolfe' is great. I read my university library's copy when I have free time between things. My favourite stories in it are 'Forlesen,' 'Westwind,' 'From the Desk of Gilmer C. Mertin' and 'Bed and Breakfast.'

The little paragraph notes following each story are great. Wolfe is a very funny man who believes some strange things.
>>
>>9236271
I don't think you're supposed to, I'm only a little bit further in than you. So far we know that there are different warrens, some of which are more dangerous, and they can be used for transportation as well as for casting different schools of magic. They also relate to gods/Ascendants somehow. Recently I also learned (different spoiler coz you're not up to this) that there are creatures that live in the warrens.
>>
>>9236309
That's most of what I've gathered. Adding that someone can be master of one warren somehow. And that warrens are sometimes enigmatic, appearing mysteriously.

I kind of like that magicians are often somehow older than a century, and that there is no apprentice wizard character so far.
>>
>>9236328
I really like Whiskeyjack and his band of soldiers, and I think the Darujhistan setting is really cool. Most of the non-Bridgeburner characters don't interest me yet, though I sort of like Kruppe just for being so different.
>>
>>9234573
You still here bro?

I polished off Echo a few months ago and I also found it terribly confusing. Try re-reading, or if that fails, Peter Watts did some great reddit AMAs where he answers specific questions. You'll be surprised how many religious references he packed in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SF_Book_Club/comments/2hzpmt/echopraxia_qa_questions_fended_off_by_peter_watts/
>>
>>9235773
>everything edible is food.
Are you that writer fag that goes on about flavors?
>>
>>9235315
they are actually really nice if you like that puzzle feel. I've only read to book 5 but when you get new pieces to solve old puzzles you are introduced to even more and deeper puzzles.

Another thing all books have in common is the conslusions being really epic, even if the first 800 pages are boring those last 100 - 200 pages are like on fire in every book.
>>
>>9236202
I see why people (whites) like this show so much. It's the same shit with dbz, ssj means going blue eye with blonde hair. This logh already got some blue eye white (not anime) fuckers.
>>
>>9236365
Everyone like Kruppe. He is like Glokta in first law series.
>>
File: 1456684008820.jpg (58KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
1456684008820.jpg
58KB, 500x448px
This thread has been allowed to progress too far without a Wolfe-post.

I'm considering contacting Marc Arimini. I think I spotted something in The Fifth Head of Cerberus that he's never acknowledged that might be significant. I haven't read his big book, only what he's published online though so I can't be sure. Did he ever discuss the significance of the other prisoner attempting to contact Marsch/shadow-child during his imprisonment? The other prisoner's banging is described as almost sounding like an imitation of human speech rather than a logical code like that of Prisoner 47. Earlier, either in 'A Story' or in a comment by VRT it is mentioned that the Abos communicated over long distances by banging on tree stumps to imitate the sound of speech. Obviously this has led me to thinking that the other prisoner is an abo. Being an abo they're incapable of working a complex code system like Prisoner 47 or Marsch. Since we can work out from context that most of the characters in The Fifth Head of Cerberus are abos this isn't too significant, but it raises the question; if abos can't work codes, who is Prisoner 47? The only other human/non-abo in the city is supposed to be Number 5, who at the time is imprisoned outside of the city.

Has Arimini ever commented on this? Do any anons with fresh recollections of the story wish to weigh in?
>>
>>9236635
boring
>>
Did cosmerefag finally get fed up of Sanderson? Why doesn't he Map-post anymore? Did the bakkerfags drive him away?
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>9236635
I Wolfe post every thread anon.
>>
File: 1474777636120.png (250KB, 280x457px) Image search: [Google]
1474777636120.png
250KB, 280x457px
So I'm writing fanfiction again which means trying to find and read the best books that science fiction has to offer.

>Dangerous Visions edited by Harlan Ellison
This one's an anthology. In my opinion, there's way too much sex but the story you definitely don't want to miss is Flies by Robert Silverberg. It's kinda fanfictiony in the way it's written (short snippets rather than an overall) but this guy thoroughly knows his way through conclusions and beginnings.

The Jack the Ripper storyline was quite good too (read, pretty fugging GOAT) which reminds me of one Doctor Who novel featuring the Marquis de Sade or a version of him

Two other shorts which shouldn't be missed are the 'The Man Who Went to the Moon — Twice' lovely and melancholy in its writing and Judas which is fairly Asmovian in its take with lots of unique and inspiring ideas.

Altogether a lovely anthology.

>The New Space Opera - Gardner Dozois
I only read two vaguely interesting stories from this anth - Minla's Flowers (Alistair Reynolds) and The Emperor and the Maula (Robert Silverberg - surprisingly again? This story is a Thousand Nights with a ). The other stories didn't really seem to have a good grasp on characterisation and seemed pretty generic. Also Reynolds writing is quite loose and not tightly packed. In the Ellison anth there are very few long stories with compact writing and scenes whereas Reynolds sprawls out a lot more and as a result there are scenes when you wonder if that's all he can write.

>The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
I don't usually read military fiction but this one is a gem. The primary plotline concerns man vs taurans and chronicles the span of the protagonist's life. This book has remarkable scientific accuracy in mulitple places and provides a very refreshing view of life on the front in ways that I haven't seen many other novels do. There's a small amount of humour, horror, a very cynical perspective on tragedy and a sense of growing distance between protagonist and society that makes it unusually good to read.
>>
File: Patrick-rothfuss.jpg (27KB, 187x266px) Image search: [Google]
Patrick-rothfuss.jpg
27KB, 187x266px
Redpill me on Patrick Rothfuss.

I've read mixed reactions on the companion he wrote for Torment: Tides of Numenera. I had heard the name before but never read his stuff.
Is he worth reading? Wolfe is my favourite fantasy writer, will I enjoy Rothfuss or no? Why (not)?
>>
File: 1477321945377.png (395KB, 825x1585px) Image search: [Google]
1477321945377.png
395KB, 825x1585px
>>9236927
>>
>>9236831
As you mentioned Reynold's, I agree his writing isn't amazing and some of his work drips with cliche, but I'm a bit of a fan nonetheless.

If you've got some space time, maybe try Chasm City. I personally thought it was awful at the start but I he somehow kept me reading and I was enjoying it by the end.
>>
>>9236972
Reynold's conclusion to that story was quite good I have to say, and his writings had a surprising amount of staying power.
>>
>>9236927
>>9236930

I think he's an okay writer just fails to ignite the coziness which Tolkien crafted in his novels, he's trying to emulate him too much.
>>
>>9236976
I just remember reading CC and thinking from the start it was a real piece of shit, and while things improved as I read there were certain bits of stupidity I couldn't overlook.

Yet by the end I was loving it, and if someone were to ask me I would say I really enjoyed the book. Bizarre.
>>
File: 1480087854832-910959459.jpg (10KB, 200x244px) Image search: [Google]
1480087854832-910959459.jpg
10KB, 200x244px
>Sorweel could scarce breathe. His spit seemed gravel for swallowing.
>Two pale forms against depths of grey and water-green, the one slight upon the one hard, locked in a clenching, quivering embrace.
>Kissing as though the other possessed the sole breath.
>Grinding, their groins famished, piercing and knowing.
>Never had he witnessed such a thing, breath-stealing, filled with rage and horror and imperious lust. He was not who he was for seeing it. Not one of his concerns survived the trespass before him. Not his father. Not the Tear of God that would avenge him.
>Nothing mattered save this...
>The children of a god mating. The woman he loved betraying...
>His little brother called out for him. He found him, grasped him, cold fingers opposite a burning palm.
>And he coupled with the sinuous image writhing before him, arched in answer to the man's black-haired grunting, spilled his seed to the girl's high blonde cries.
>She lowered her head to his chest in carnal exhaustion and lay there, her breasts kissing the barrel of his chest, her back bent to the arc of an oyster shell. Sorweel stared, held motionless by the shock of his dwindling ardour. Shame. Elation. Terror.
>Knowledge that he could not move without alerting them robbed him of the ability to breathe. He stood stupefied as she turned to him and smiled.
>He ducked in abject panic and shame.
>"Who are we," she called out in a drowsy laugh, "for you to abuse yourself so?"
>>
>>9237071
>>9236664
>>9236635

jesus fucking christ can you pathetic autists stop posting this ridiculous shit
>>
File: 1468127593617.gif (189KB, 500x316px) Image search: [Google]
1468127593617.gif
189KB, 500x316px
I need sff books with grannys taking a dicking on the regular. Emphasis on sex with older attractive women where it is described and regularly.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>>9236930
So, it's as I feared, the exact opposite of what I like. Generic fantasy told by someone who has to spell out every single unimportant detail with ridiculous nouns and adverbs...
Welp, back to Wolfe it is.
>>
>>9237096
When we get new material.
TUC WHEN???
>>
>>9237096
Such great content you have there. You really added so much to the general with your post.
How about you give us quality shit to discuss. Now that cosmerefag is gone, only the wolfe and bakker posters remain. Give us new books to meme, discuss and shitpost about. Get off your ass and help mold the general in a proper direction.
>>
Is the ending of Prince of Nothing trilogy supposed to be so brusque and out of place? As if the whole thing beforehand had absolutely no purpose nor has it ever happened.
>>
>>9235315
I actually told you to drop it since you weren't enjoying it, but whatever I guess.

>>9235550
These books are very large and sometimes you only get certain perspectives a couple times per book. It can take a long time to put certain events in proper perspective. Also do not expect to fully understand anything Shadowthrone does for most of the series, he's playing like 20-D chess.
>>
>>9234502
They Thirst by Robert McCammon
>>
>>9237169
The holy war is won, and Kellhus becomes emperor.

What else were you expecting?
>>
>>9236295
That image is not how I imagined that scene. One of the foremost points of ridicule in the book is that the tactics should never work in 3-dimensional space. Obviously, there is no way to completely surround anything on 3 sides, except on a plane. But my vision of that part was more like two fleets 69ing, with each fleet simultaneously fleeing and chasing, shooting at the ass-end of the other fleet. Maybe the anime misinterpreted it.
>>
File: 132302933.jpg (25KB, 327x327px) Image search: [Google]
132302933.jpg
25KB, 327x327px
>>9237104
>>
>>9237877
You could have used the orouboros as an example instead you know.
>>
File: i.jpg (27KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
27KB, 600x400px
>>9232345
Genocidal Organ by Project Itoh
Basically Metal Gear 4 but written earlier by the guy who forced Riden in MGS2. Near future war on terror, with a mix of bio-punk, meatplanes, meatroads, NANOMACHINES etc. And no Clancy-like fap on equipment and american flag covered in jizz.
The only problem the MC is an introspective weeaboo, and his megatonnes of philisophical thoughts are the most unrealistic thing about and american military. Also, japs finally made a good anime based on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErbBU0gZnzI
>>
File: peripheral.jpg (194KB, 1022x1535px) Image search: [Google]
peripheral.jpg
194KB, 1022x1535px
Give me a quick rundown on picrelated.
Has the oldman finally revived the cyberpunk? Or this is old schizophrenic's crap? The description is completly uninspiring.
>>
>>9237923
Ouroboros is a single snake. I felt that 69 was a more apt analogy than autofellatio, since it takes two.
>>
>>9237908
>giving grannies some love is degenerate
>>
File: Jompjf.jpg (45KB, 257x431px) Image search: [Google]
Jompjf.jpg
45KB, 257x431px
Post weird shit
>>
>>9236227
>Skimmed the first story and it's written in second person.

There is a distinct reason for this. The last lines of the story are central to the overall vision of the story itself.

>"It's the same with you, Tackie. You're too young to realize it yet, but it's the same with you."

The story implies a subtext of Divine Teleology. The fact that "you" are a character in a story about a boy who loves a story which he knows will end in the eventual death of his beloved characters is itself a reflection of our own inevitable demise. Also just like the story, we will always exist within the grand divine plan and our story is itself a part of the overall story of humanity and mankind itself. Wolfe is suggesting that each of our lives are our own little stories, themselves part of a grander divine theologically consistent story, which will always exist within the Eternal Actual of Gods Omniscience and Omnipresence. It's Aquinas via a mix of H.G. Wells, Edgar Allen Poe, and Borges.

"The Last Thrilling Wonder Story" deals with this theme in great detail as well but I don't think it's in The Best of Gene Wolfe collection.
>>
>>9238256
I don't see you giving recs either way.
>>
>>9238167
I thought it was pretty good, but then I've loved all the rest of his books.
It is a neat take on time travel and completely stand alone.
>>
File: vb.gif (467KB, 350x337px) Image search: [Google]
vb.gif
467KB, 350x337px
wew
>>
>>9238948
>boobs 4 views
>>
>>9234647
Why does he always look like some dirty homeless man? Why do hack writers never know how to take care of themselves?
>>
Are there any fantasy books about mechanical geniuses like Dedalus?
>>
>>9239117
They are too busy being successful and writing to care about such frivolous things as hygiene.
>>
>>9239137
>Rothfuss
>busy writing

top laughter
>>
>>9239128
How about a gnome loli who makes a perpetual battery?
>>
File: wolfe-821x1024.jpg (146KB, 821x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wolfe-821x1024.jpg
146KB, 821x1024px
>tfw 85 years old
>might die soon

What do, /sffg/?
>>
>>9239181
Collect Pringles royalties cheque for the month.
>>
>>9239151
is it trashy?
>>
>>9239210
I enjoyed it. Was fun for me, mileage might vary.
The cogweaver trilogy
>>
>>9238326
Is that a ripoff of Behold the Man (or vice versa)?
>>
File: Red Planet.jpg (102KB, 396x640px) Image search: [Google]
Red Planet.jpg
102KB, 396x640px
>Find a cheap old paperback of Red Planet by Robert Heinlein in good condition, buy
>Begin reading
>Halfway in, it's pretty good, just a simple coming of age story about friendship in a cozy Martian setting
>Later find out it's not the authorised version but a print of the heavily censored original which cuts out references to sex and subversive ideas

Well at least the cover art is good. I'm still enjoying it a lot more than The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, which I dropped.
>>
Thoughts on Hammers slammers and Drake?
>>
>>9239770
>tfw I thought that spiky thing was the statue of liberty
>>
>>9239770
>sex is bad
>I enjoy censored books better
1. I bet you're an Americlap
2. I bet you love Sanderson
>>
>>9239945
Anon was complaining about not getting awkward Heinlein erotica. Not all sex is equal.
>sex is good
>so if you don't accept all hobo BJs and five-dollar whores you're a prude
>>
>>9239973
t. Catholic
>>
>>9234908
I've seen grim company mentioned a bit in here

Is it actually any good? The summary they gave on store listings made it sound like it was way over the top grimdark nonsense
>>
>>9240186
>I've seen grim company mentioned a bit in here
Like 3 times total for the year, 5 times tops. Some anon is shilling and doing a bad job of it.
>>
>>9240186
>>9240207
remembered why I've heard of it now

There's an old post on r/fantasy that points out just how many times the author decides to write about poop in the 2nd book of the series
>>
>>9234477
That is probably one of his worst works, it's famous because it's pretty basic/entry level as far as a s-f concept goes. Start anywhere else
>>
>>9234539
Definitely bis weakest/shilliest works, I've heard 100 times it was just slapped together for income. Read Starship Troopers, or Number of the Beast (the latter only if you've read a lot of s-f like Burroughs )
>>
>>9234502
'Salem's Lot
>>
Any recommendations from 2017?

I know it's a videogame but torment tides of numenera is great worldbuilding and storytelling highly recommend for the sffg crowd
They also published a book to go with it.
Numenera - the Poison Eater
anyone read it?
>>
>>9240186
It's decent. Two of the protags are insufferable until about the middle of the second book, when at least the guy becomes more likeable. Sword in the north is a always fun throughout the series, almost worth reading for his chapters alone.
>>
>>9240376
>Numenera
You mean the book Lord Neckbeard, Rothfuss himself put together?
>>
>>9239181
get houseled and shriven
>>
>>9240774
>Rothfuss
Your right I just looked it up he is involved in the writing. I had no idea.
It says he wrote one of the companions. Just happened to be the one I hated and told to fuck off, coincidence?
>>
>>9236635
I'm not sure if he's discussed that. But as long as you're polite, Marc is fine with communications.
>>
>>9236930
Jesus. I'm reading this at the moment and really enjoying it. The things i agree with are that secondary characters aren't really delved into and i hate the whole Kvothe-Denna relationship. It's kinda cringy reading those parts.

My circle of friends praise the book so much they gave me a copy.

I've only started getting back into reading and i'm finding it an easy read. What should I read after i finish The wise man's fear?
>>
>>9239973
What kind of stupid ass equivalency is that? How is reading sex scenes even remotely demeaning to your character or putting yourself at sanitary risk? In the first place to equate reading a sex scene with actual sex acts you'd have to be a prude of monumental stature, as only an American can be.
>>
>>9241270
>what is a metaphor
>>
Is scifi just a sub-genre of fantasy?
>>
>>9241446
Fantasy is a sub-genre of sci-fi.
>>
>>9241459
So Beowulf was a scifi?
>>
>>9241460
For an alternate universe where dragons exist.
>>
https://youtu.be/t_mEpLK8cWE?t=5m20s
>kings were elected
you're repeating yourself, gene. that's something Jonas said
>>
>>9237071
literally spilled black seed to this post right here
>>
File: pjf.jpg (286KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pjf.jpg
286KB, 1041x1600px
>catgirl sidekick on his dick 24/7
>he never fucks her

Man, what a case of blueballs this book was.

Can I get a fucking book where the MC crushes some alien puss?
>>
>>9241663
Rogue Fleet has the mc fucking a cat
>>
>>9241712
Like a housecat?

That's not really what I'm looking for.
>>
>>9241217
Wise man's fear takes a huge dump on the series. I know there were a few oddities that you overlooked in name of the wind, but your enjoyment didn't suffer because of it... well book 2 is all about suffering.
If you want, read it and get it out of the way so you can rage with us.

Also what do you like? What draws you into the kingkiller universe? The magic? The magical technology? That whore Denna? Tell us what gives you a tingle and we can rec you books accordingly.

If it's magic school that got you (one of the things that also got me) try the magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman.
>>
>>9241663
How can you be on someone's dick.. yet not get fucked? I think you meant to say something along the lines of the guy getting teased and not giving in.
>>
>>9241663
Pick up a copy of "the man kzin wars" anthology. Dude has a whole harem of anthropomorphic cat chicks.
>>
Apparently TUC has some "big deal" of a twist that flips the whole series on its head.

What do we think it is?
>>
File: latest.png (246KB, 860x691px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
246KB, 860x691px
>>9241762
Inchis are the good guys.
I knew it all along.
Just look at this poor guy.
>>
>>9241762
what is TUC?
>>
>>9241877

The Unholy Consult, the fourth and final volume of the "Aspect Emperor" series by R. Scott Bakker.
>>
>>9241731
What I'm really into is the magic. I think the concept of sympathy is solid comparing to the magic of harry potter.
I really like the way that at the university there's different disciplines.

Thx, I'll check it out
>>
The Ember War Saga or the Three Body Problem Trilogy?
>>
>>9241902
3bp is better but you might find ember more fun
>>
>tfw been wanting to read a new fantasy series/novel for months, but haven't been able to find anything that tickles my fancy
Any fairly recent stuff with the ambition and scope of Malazan, but not the preachy bullshit that ends up making the entire series disappear up its own ass? Also above average prose would be super nice as well.
>>
>>9241975
no
>>
So you guys allow threads like this on /lit/ now?
That's depressing.
>>
File: A_Double_Shadow.jpg (52KB, 304x499px) Image search: [Google]
A_Double_Shadow.jpg
52KB, 304x499px
>>9241983
This is for you. Feel better soon :'(
>>
>>9241983
This is the one you have a problem with?
>>9233995
>>
>>9241983
This thread objectively has more actual discussion than the rest of /lit/

You may dislike the genres but people here tend to have actually read the books they're talking about.
>>
Alright lads, I'm currently balls deep in political theory (doing a masters). I want to keep up with fiction but I find that lately I continue to purchase stuff that's exceptionally "heady" so to speak and I find myself not having the patience for it - and yet I can delve deep into critical and continental theory for hours upon end with no problem at all, it's weird.

Anyway, recommend me something. A page turner so to speak. Or should I just buy a bunch of Lee Child books?
>>
>>9242053
>political theory (doing a masters)
I guess that's one way to end up in a dead end job.
>>
>>9242053
Heroes Die (Acts of Caine)
>>
File: Sffg memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
>>9241983
>not literature reported
Nice meme
>>
>>9237104
Anyone? Please? There has to be some of you that have a fetish for attractive older women?

Bakker opened a fetish I didn't even know I had. Please. Please.
>>
what are some books similar to dark souls????
>>
File: berserk___guts_sad_r.png (994KB, 1000x1016px) Image search: [Google]
berserk___guts_sad_r.png
994KB, 1000x1016px
I'm new to reading, are there any books like berserk?
>>
>>9241663
I need to write this one down.
Too bad I have the same cover you posted and not this one.
>>
File: The_Stone_God_Awakens.jpg (127KB, 466x640px) Image search: [Google]
The_Stone_God_Awakens.jpg
127KB, 466x640px
>>9242214
Something about the face is nausea inducing...
>>
>>9232314
>woman
DROPPED
>>
File: 1434719548804.jpg (945KB, 3464x2309px) Image search: [Google]
1434719548804.jpg
945KB, 3464x2309px
>>9242181
>>9242163
>>
>>9242245
>homosexuality is legal now
>>
>>9242059
Eh... I have the luxury of being able to pursue things I'm genuinely interested in as opposed to thinking purely about the career aspects of any given thing.
>>
File: Hey Pol.jpg (1MB, 3192x2124px) Image search: [Google]
Hey Pol.jpg
1MB, 3192x2124px
>>9242282
Hey
>>
>>9241663
>crushes some alien puss?
The Imajica by Clive Barker.
they bone in a prison, and keep everyone awake all night
The book is fantastic. I don't know why nobody mentions it more.
>>
>>9242348
Might pick it up..
>>
>>9242324
Politically I'm about as far away from /pol/ imaginable.
>>
>>9241762
The twist is the consult wins
>>
How bad is the preaching and/or philosophical ramblings in Bakker's stuff?
>>
Is The Dark Company good?
>>
>>9241663
Ringworld
>>
>>9234526
titus, worm ouroboros
>>
File: heinlein.jpg (123KB, 800x684px) Image search: [Google]
heinlein.jpg
123KB, 800x684px
>>9231981

Was it fascism? or simply autism?
>>
>>9242493
Please respond
>>
>>9242493
Not that bad. Really only happens during warrior prophet, and for only a page or so.
>>
File: ArmorOriginalCover.gif (19KB, 158x272px) Image search: [Google]
ArmorOriginalCover.gif
19KB, 158x272px
>>9232420
I read "The Red" off of one of the recc lists and it sucked balls.

But I'm currently reading pic related and it shits all over all other military sci-fi I've ever read before.

>>9238082
So it's a film? I'll check it out anyway. Thanks anon.
>>
>take literal years to get beyond chapter 2 of a book
>read the rest of the series in 3 days
This has happened a few times now, some sff authors suck at intros
>>
Any opinions on David Gemmell?
I only read his first book, but I've also read it's his weakest.
>>
>>9242592
>you know what this society where anyone can vote if they complete military service but regular people hate the military reminds me of?
>this other society where nobody can vote but everyone loves the military
>>
>>9242918
He popped my fantasy cherry. There's nothing particularly fancy to his writing; I'd say he was like a blue-collar, working class type of fantasy writer. But he's extremely solid through pretty much every book. I've read all his stuff and I'd say none of his books are bad. Some are just better than others. His Rigante series is my personal favorite.
>>
>>9242918
He's the fucking best

Like not all of his books are great but the ones that are good are the template every action fantasy since tries to copy
>>
Just started reading The Darkness That Comes Before

this thing with Kellhus isn't going to end well is it
>>
>>9242230
Why spend any time looking at it? I didn't.
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56KB, 537x540px
>>9236655
Nothing to post and nobody seems to read the other shit I read. Also busy
>>
>>9242852
This is the book, they've made an anime of it recently.
>>
File: Supox_comm.png (14KB, 243x107px) Image search: [Google]
Supox_comm.png
14KB, 243x107px
>>9242522
Ringworld aliens don't count. They're literally just humans that look slightly different.

Aliens = Star Control aliens

I want a man going balls deep into a Supox.
>>
>>9243492
I like covers. The cornier the better. The subject here is very feline in shape, texture, and pose. The face, however, appears painted on and clumsily so. The facial features to head size ratio also looks off. Kinda like they took an image with a fully feline face and drew a human face over it. Most distressing.
>>
>>9243627
>Ringworld aliens don't count. They're literally just humans that look slightly different.
>he only read the first book
>>
>>9243639
What? Are there puppeteer handjobs in the sequels?

Spoil me.
>>
>>9243639
He's being ironic, Star Control aliens are Known Space aliens with the names changed.
>>
>>9243658
>puppeteer handjobs
I don't think so.

In the sequels Niven decides that all inter-species diplomacy must begin with yiffing, to refuse would just be rude.
>>
>>9243283
>not trusting your friendly neighborhood Anasûrimbor
>>
>>9231981
>halfway through Blindsight
>nothing has happened
I mean, I like it, but when does stuff actually start to happen in the story?
>>
>>9243283
What's the matter?

Afraid he might take yo girl?
>>
>>9243690

He called it rishathra,
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishathra
Some days I'm certain this genre is a wasteland.
>>
>>9243914
Yes, I know. I use yiffing because it gives people a good idea of what I'm talking about without having to look it up. Honestly the whole thing annoyed me, so I enjoy making fun of it.
>Some days I'm certain this genre is a wasteland.
What do you mean?
>>
How did Wheel of Time even become popular, it's bloody awful
>>
>>9236927
I'm late to the game, but I'll take every chance I can to deride Patrick Rothfuss. The man is the hackiest hack to ever write, and he's praised by most everyone. He can't write characters well, he can't tell a story, sometimes he does manage to have beautiful descriptions but most the time his write comes across as a cringey attempt to be poetic. He's a hack who thinks he's a genius. There are plenty of hacks who know they are hacks, and work with that. But Rothfuss really does think he is brillant. A lot of the scenes of his books consist of him taking traditional fantasy elements and "deconstructing" them. But the deconstruction aren't clever subversions that make readers think, they are obvious and stupid, like having a coked out not-dragon instead of just having a dragon or have a magic system based on "Science."

I once saw someone on the internet say that Rothfuss' sympathy magic is better than how most authors do magic because it's more realistic. But that's not true at all, all Rothfuss did was mention some scientific principals in a way that barely makes sense when infodumping about magic. Also it's fucking magic, it cannot and should not be "realistic" because there is no such thing as magic.

People say that Rothfuss knows what he is doing, that by the third book it'll all turn out to be a case of unreliable narrator. I don't believe that. Even if he does use an unreliable narrator it doesn't make up for telling a bad story.

Rothfuss is like Eragon for adults. For some reason people read his stories and are amazed.

Just read this, this guy did it better than me: https://ronanwills.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/lets-read-the-name-of-the-wind-an-introduction-of-three-parts/
>>
>>9244209
>his write
I'm worse than fucking Rothfuss. At least what he writes is grammatically correct.
>>
Well, I finished Robert Heinlein's Red Planet from 1949 and it was an altogether enjoyable read. The young and timid protag lives on a Martian colony with his exotic pet and staunch best friend. They are all whisked off to a Martian boarding school where they encounter a draconian headmaster and a rapacious company scheme which would be disastrous for their colonist parents back home.

It's a simple coming of age story of friendship and overthrowing authority. The Martian landscape is full of exotic plants and creatures, as well as an enigmatic race of natives who throw up some unanticipated plot twists. There's also a recurring subtext about the nature of a frontier society, the general idea being that these people should not live by the same ideas as settled societies. Here, colonists should be more daring, self sufficient, distrusting, and even children should carry guns and be prepared to fight in the name of freedom.

All of these unfashionably red-blooded fancies, traditional storytelling, exotic visuals and unabashed masculine displays won me over completely, and so I must bestow four dinos out of five on this book.
>>
>>9244417
>There's also a recurring subtext about the nature of a frontier society, the general idea being that these people should not live by the same ideas as settled societies.
That is my favorite thing.
>>
File: fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg (72KB, 1024x563px) Image search: [Google]
fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg
72KB, 1024x563px
>>9241762
The twist: Shaeönanra was right all along.
>>
>>9242592
Was not, Heinlein liked to write about radically different societies and how they might come to exist, besides the TF were based on Switzerland of all things IIRC
Anyone who calls him facist probably would call him a libtard for Harsh Mistress or a hippie for Stranger
Fucking love Heinlein
>>
I originally wanted to make a manga or VN but I fucking suck at drawing and am occasionally okay at writing.

What are some examples of books that are obviously anime/appeal to the otaku crowd but aren't just straight up YA fiction drivel?
>>
>>9244544
Kino's Journey.
>>
>>9243830
It's got an explosive end.

Watt's himself says if he could change anything about the book, there'd be more action in it.

echopraxia is a thrill ride start to finish, though
>>
I can't believe I fell for the Sanderson meme. Way of kings was so painfully mediocre. Someone recommend me some good fantasy please . I like Abraham, Wolfe, Peake, Hobb, Leiber, Le Guin , Feist etc
>>
>>9244586
The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson.
>>
>>9244177
*folds arms beneath breasts*

You wanna say that to my face, wool-head?
>>
>>9244417
I'll do it. I'll find some way to make a macro about dinosaurs as units of measurements.
>>
>>9244586
>I like Abraham
>m-muh price
>m-muh bank
Fuck off
>>
How successful can weird / dying earth fiction be? I'm on a Wolfe and Vance kick, but it's hard to believe that they actually profited off their works. Is it simply a different time?

I've been trying my hand at a more episodic tale in the same vein as the genre, following a surveyor of a weird apocalypse, but for all the effort I put into it, I start to feel discouraged, knowing it's an idea that's lost steam since the '80s and would probably be passed over by retards who'd rather read another GRUM clone.
>>
>>9243941

I wasn't referring to you personally in any aspect of my post, so lay your hackles down if they were up.
>>
>>9244962

Aren't Wolfe and Vance best known and respected for their mastery of language? The setting of the Dying Earth seems to me to be incidental.

If you mean to attempt to emulate that mastery of language, then you relegate yourself to a sliver of the available market in an ever more illiterate age.

If instead you mean to write GRI degeneracy in a Dying Earth setting, then I would not be surprised to find it popular.
>>
>>9244962
Nightwings is a superb story in a dying earth setting by Robert Silverberg. It's like a more lyrical and less loquacious Vance.
>>
>>9244586
>>9244622

Easily, some of the best.
>>
File: 28481.jpg (24KB, 238x400px) Image search: [Google]
28481.jpg
24KB, 238x400px
>>9244586
Death Gate Cycle by Hickman & Weiss
>>
>>9244962
Dying Earth was always a very niche subgenre, and I think the reason nothing much else has been written since the 80s is because BOTNS is such a high bar to clear.

Going full hack and becoming the John Norman to Vance's Burroughs might be worth trying.
>>
>>9244962
There's actually a minor revival going on in that vein right now, look up Cirsova magazine. They'll open for submissions again soon. Weirdbook is along that line but I don't know much about it. You could also publish direct on Amazon, there are people looking for dying earth.

But as for getting a traditional publisher to pick you up and hold your hand and make you the second coming of Vance, yeah, give up. You can certainly get read by a lot of people though.
>>
File: TheWayOfKings.png (146KB, 220x334px) Image search: [Google]
TheWayOfKings.png
146KB, 220x334px
>>9244962
There's only one way to make money in publishing, anon.

And trust me.

You aren't

Going

To

It
>>
>>9244511
I've only read Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land. Honestly, not too impressed, especially with Troopers. Don't get me wrong I thought the best parts were the political discourse between MC and the teacher. I have 2 smaller books of his to read, then I'll tackle a longer one, what would you recommend?
>>
Are there any (ANY) women worth reading in fantasy, /lit/? And don't meme me with Le Guin.
>>
>>9245063
Door into Summer if you want wacky time-travel hijinks, zeerust, and good feelings, Puppet Masters if you want to kill some evil aliens, Citizen of the Galaxy if you want a coming-of-age space adventure, and Have Space Suit Will Travel for all of the above.
>>
>>9245066
Diana Wynne Jones you fool.
>>
>>9245126
Cool, saved. Thx anon
>>
Why do writers decline in quality? You'd think you'd just get better at writing after doing it endlessly

>>9245066
Valente, Wecker, Jesmin, and the old classic, Rowling
>>
>>9245256
Writing for the check, trying to write what pays most. Forcing yourself to write when your ideas really are exhausted and you're not in contact with humans anymore. Trying to break out of their mold into something they're just not as good at. Breaking into something they're just as good at but you don't like. Getting old.
>>
>>9231989
library at mount char
>>
File: r budd dwyer.jpg (274KB, 1324x1169px) Image search: [Google]
r budd dwyer.jpg
274KB, 1324x1169px
>>9241762
>>9241831
>>9242425
>>9243906
>>9244426
I was given an advance copy of TUC, don't read any farther unless you want it spoiled. Kellhus meets Cnaiur, who reveals that he has the Heron Spear (the only weapon that can defeat the No-God), and will give allow him to have it on the condition that Cnaiur can pound his ass. Seeing no alternative, Kellhus agrees, and Cnaiur violently rapes him for like 4 chapters, only to reveal that he doesn't actually have the Spear. Achamian goes insane and starts eating his own shit. Mimara eventually mercy kills him. Finally, the Fanim march on Momemn and Esmenet is beheaded.
>>
>>9245338
I might be wrong, but aren't of the things considered to be the best examples of literature were made for the sake of buying more whiskey (although whether they are actually good is something I'd care to debate)

That said, I wonder how much of it is psychological. What states of mind are conducive to good writing? Do pride or shame cause a decline in quality?
>>
>there will never be a Wheel of Time live-adaptation
>you will never see the Dragon reborn
>you will never see Elayne's, Min's and Aviendha's tiddies

>on the other hand you will never have to hear Egwene

Its an emotional rollercoaster
>>
>>9244968
No hackles Donkey-kun, just terse in my manner of expression :3
>>
>>9245361
When PKD needs more liquor because he's nuts and he's self-medicating, he puts his best effort on the page and it's still DADOES because he's nuts. When Steven King needs more liquor because he's paranoid from his childhood poverty and he doesn't trust his wealth to last, he just scribbles whatever because he knows he sells by weight, not quality.

Sometimes being nuts is good for your writing, sometimes you're at your best when everything is right (or you can make everything right because you're just that competent and you're good at writing too). Like most aspects of our success and failure it is most likely frustratingly tied to genetics.
>>
>>9245066
Andre Norton is good if you like old pulpy stuff.
>>
>tfw the female MC convinces her husband to supply weapons to the gender equality terrorists because she's afraid of pregnancy and they offer their services as expert genetic analysts
>>
>>9245367
Don't forget:
>you will never see scantily clad women in those silver neck things
>>
>>9232766
This. Read history before you write fantasy. Not other fantasy.
>>
>>9245611
>tryndemere vs phoenix aatrox.jpg

>>9244968
I can't believe I'm feeling friendly towards a tripfag. All these years on 4chins and camaraderie is extended to a tripfag. Weird times.
>>
>>9245711
I anonymize, I highly recommend it.
>>
>>9245066
you're the one memeing, friendo
there's a long list of established women in fantasy.
See other anons-
Anne McCaffrey, Susanna Clarke, Robin Hobb...
>>
>>9242852
Armor is a strange book. I read it a couple of years ago and still can't decide if it's garbage or great.
>>
>>9245066
Robin Hobb you fucking fool
>>
>>9245062
I'm not that anon pls explain this I feel like it would be funny if I understood.
>>
>>9242852
>>9245855
just finished this audiobook a few minutes ago. can't believe how much it gripped me and kept me up a few nights in a row. any other military sci-fi PTSD simulators I should listen to? I haven't even done Starship Troopers to be honest.
>>
>>9245907
Animorphs.
>>
>>9245907
Red Rising. Not even joking.
>>
>>9245907
>can't believe how much it gripped me and kept me up a few nights in a row
Exactly the same for me.

>sci-fi PTSD simulators
Yes, I really want more of this too. I've read one series like this before, but it has dog-people in it which most people here would find disagreeable.
>>
>>9246031
>but it has dog-people in it which most people here would find disagreeable.
this is sffg
>>
>>9246039
Parts 1 to 4 (short story collection:
>http://www.mediafire.com/file/62ws3bg0jre7ttq/MalcolmCross-WarDog_MarginalizedPopulations_PavlovsHouse.epub
Part 5, the novel:
>http://www.mediafire.com/file/vfiqaap32abc670/MalcolmCross-DogCountry.epub
>>
>>9246052
nice
thanks
>>
>>9245907
Just read a review that suggested to skim the Jack Crow sections. Would you agree with this?
>>
>>9246165
You should absolutely read them. The ending won't be as good if you haven't.
>>
>>9246165
If you just want a better written 40k-novel skip the Jack Crow sections. They're painful to read through but it's at least somewhat deliberate. It all comes together nicely.
>>
Monosaccharides.
>>
>>9246734
Disaccharides
>>
File: 1447730820136.png (137KB, 341x369px) Image search: [Google]
1447730820136.png
137KB, 341x369px
>>9246750
>>
>>9246791
P O L Y S A C C H A R I D E S
>>
File: 1445152115410.png (103KB, 481x539px) Image search: [Google]
1445152115410.png
103KB, 481x539px
>>9246792
N-NANI?
>>
Some cunt bake some new bread.
>>
Fresh out the oven.
>>9246955
>>9246955
>>9246955
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.