[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 58

File: 5596fe3e0c07ec8011154845fe5e9e35.jpg (854KB, 1570x1600px) Image search: [Google]
5596fe3e0c07ec8011154845fe5e9e35.jpg
854KB, 1570x1600px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9189440
>>9180806
>>9168106
>>9156349
>>9141959
>>9132584
>>9114658
>>
File: 1459813720421.png (178KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459813720421.png
178KB, 500x500px
Which sff novels have the most gratuitous scenes of emotionally scarring cuckoldry?
>>
File: 1450152106643.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450152106643.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
Gene Wolfe is objectively the goat sff writer.
>>
>>9202223
Pirate Freedom was disappointing. He completely skipped over the best parts of the premise.
>>
>>9202229
Haven't read that one.
>>
File: 500.png (269KB, 500x430px) Image search: [Google]
500.png
269KB, 500x430px
>>9202231
Well, it's about this kid who walks out of a monastery (in the 80s I wanna say?) and walks into the 1500s and becomes an awesome pirate.
Except he glossed over the kid realizing he's in the 1500s, glossed over him trying to figure out how things work 1500 years ago, what to do, joining a ship, becoming a pirate, all of the most exciting possible things to write about, and it's basically half a paragraph for each.

I realized something was wrong. I asked where the city was. The guy said this WAS the city, so I stole and apple and got on a ship a week later.

That's basically how it goes. Why? Goddammit, why would you do this to me?

Anybody got any decent time travel stories that aren't sci-fi?
>>
>>9202241
To be honest it sounds like I'd have the opposite reaction to that. That sounds like an excellent way to handle the premise and very Wolfe-like. The idea of somebody from the late 20th century having to learn how to live in a society with no cars or tv sounds like something out of a bad movie. The idea of someone with late 20th century values going to the 16th century and immediately turning to a life of violent crime sounds fascinating. I want to know what this 20th century person is thinking as they live out their crazy rebellion power-fantasy, not 'wow, you mean nobody in this city uses American paper currency? How wacky! I'm going to have to get used to wearing goofy new clothes too!'
>>
>>9202261
>The idea of somebody from the late 20th century having to learn how to live in a society with no cars or tv
Not like that- I mean, learning the language, the laws, the rules. Learning how to make money, that kind of shit. What kind of american bullshit are you on about that you think that's what I care about?

People learning to survive is one of my favorite things, and it has nothing to do with TV. I'm actually offended. Fuck you.
>>
>>9202261
What's the fucking point of sending someone back in time if you're not even going to use it in the story?
The MC could have been born then, and it wouldn't have changed the story in the slightest.
>>
>he fell for the brandon sanderson meme
>>
>>9202275
>learning the language, the laws, the rules. Learning how to make money, that kind of shit
That doesn't sound interesting. Any time travel story will give you something along those lines. Looking at the thoughts and character of somebody whose reaction to travelling 400 years back in time is to become a pirate is what I want to see. I'm getting the distinct impression here that you are the one who can't judge the potential of a premise worth a damn.

Walking out of a late 20th century monastery and then becoming a 16th century pirate. The fact that he chose piracy of all things is the story here. Not that he's in the 16th century. That could be anybody. How would the monastery fit into it? How can you see this premise and just wish it were a fish out of water situation? What is it about the late 20th century mindset that led to him becoming such an extreme character in the 16th century? I'm actually very excited to read this now.

>>9202300
It sounds to me like his 20th century mind is the point of the story. In interviews Wolfe has explicitly stated that he is a believer in the theories of Lamarck. Namely soft evolution, the idea that noticeable changes occur generation to generation, rather than only across extreme periods of time. Basically Wolfe believes that where you're from and what you're born into play a significant role in what you are and that someone born in the late 20th century would likely be fundamentally different to somebody born in the 16th. He doesn't just prefer to wear blue-jeans, his brain has completely different wiring. And this difference in wiring apparently drives him towards extreme anti-social behaviour. Does this not excite you?
>>
Reposting because no answer

Guys I just finished The Prince of nothing trilogy .
At the end the most dangerous of fags ran away with his second dickgirl.
Does he turn up in the next trilogy? He was one of my favorite characters.

Did conpheus turn into a boipussy at the end? Did I read right that he wanted another dicking?

Can one of you that keep screaming bakker related stuff plz answer.
>>
File: Lolwut.jpg (184KB, 533x594px) Image search: [Google]
Lolwut.jpg
184KB, 533x594px
>>9202320
>Basically Wolfe believes that where you're from and what you're born into play a significant role in what you are and that someone born in the late 20th century would likely be fundamentally different to somebody born in the 16th.
And with this sentence you argue that it would NOT be interesting to read about this person adapting to the 16th century?
>>
>>9202343
If he becomes a pirate it doesn't sound like he adapted at all. If he adapted he'd do what all of the other well-adjusted 16th century people were doing and not be a pirate. I haven't read it of course so I can only say what I think Wolfe would do, but it seems to me that Wolfe is presenting piracy as a late 20th century response to 16th century circumstances. The substance here is what it is about this kid's 20th century mind that causes such a radical reaction to new circumstances. That's why I now want to read Pirate Freedom.
>>
>>9202362
You're a dumbass, and you're arguing that it's not shit as someone who hasn't read it, against someone who has.

Obviously piracy isn't a 20th century response to the 16th century, that's fucking retarded. 16th century piracy is a response to 16th century circumstances.

I'm telling you, as someone who's read the book, the fact that he's from the future has exactly one single impact on the entire fucking story, and that's that he can speak spanish without being a spaniard.

He doesn't become a pirate as a first choice, he become a sailor and becomes a pirate like most people ended up being pirates: pirates boarded his ship and told him to join or die.

Wolfe managed to take a great concept and strip it of any and all magic by making the narrator dull, uninteresting, and by skipping over any and all interesting things. No, the fact that he's from the 20th century doesn't excuse fucking anything. It doesn't present any conflict, it doesn't influence his actions, it doesn't spark any internal debates. It's a completely superfluous fact and I think you're a retard for defending something you know absolutely nothing about.

It's a fucking fact that the entire concept of a time-travel story is a stranger in a strange land trope, and if it isn't even worked with, than there's no fucking reason to make it a time travel book.

And no "people learning to adapt in a strange place" is not "boring", it's one of the fucking cornerstones of storytelling you cockslap.
>>
>>9202343
>the fact that he's from the future has exactly one single impact on the entire fucking story
Isekai once again proves that it's the most cancerous genre.
>>
>>9202414
>Wolfe managed to take a great concept and strip it of any and all magic by making the narrator dull, uninteresting, and by skipping over any and all interesting things.
Yes, the point of the book is to paint a realistic picture of real-world piracy, which is dull, brutish and ugly. Wolfe explicitly said that 'Pirate Freedom' is his response to the Johnny Depp Disney movie about pirates.

>It doesn't present any conflict, it doesn't influence his actions, it doesn't spark any internal debates.
Read the book carefully, the narrator is actually his own father and grew up in a monastery cloistered away from the 21st century world. (But again, this is mostly irrelevant as the book is about the pirating lifestyle, not time travel paradoxes.)
>>
>>9202443
Are you the "Severian is his own father" dude?
>>
>>9202443
>Yes, the point of the book is to paint a realistic picture of real-world piracy, which is dull, brutish and ugly. Wolfe explicitly said that 'Pirate Freedom' is his response to the Johnny Depp Disney movie about pirates.
He can say whatever he fucking wants. The fact is, is that the book pissed me off so much, I'm never reading wolf again.

>which is dull, brutish and ugly
How the fuck would we, the reader, know that? The narrator doesn't fucking TELL US ANYTHING. He fails as a narrator.

>Oh, it's a good book because It's SUPPOSED to be boring.
Fuck you.

>Read the book carefully, the narrator is actually his own father
Yes I know, and it's stupid. Wow. So your plan is to abandon yourself in a monastery so you can make yourself your own cabin boy when you go into the past, and then have him marry your second waifu. That way, I get BOTH chicks. That's not how that works, by the way.
>>
>>9202454
Everyone is the "Severian is his own father" dude. Read the books he breeds his own grandmother, who makes his father, who breed severian himself.

Now please answer this post >>9202324
>>
>>9202463
>he breeds his own grandmother, who makes his father, who breed severian himself.
I've only read New Sun so I can't be certain, but I thought that Severian's father was born normally and was the son of Dorcas and the man he met on the boat who Dorcas finds dead at the end of the story. Does that guy turn out to also be Severian or am I just retarded? I remember Dorcas said that she thought she had a family before she met Severian and if his father was old enough it could make sense that he was born and they lived together as a normal family, then she died and he fathered Severian, then Severian rezzed Dorcas and she's now younger than her son. How wrong am I? I don't mind of Urth of the New Sun onwards gets spoiled. Plot secrecy is for plebs.
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>9202462
No Catholicism in the pages?

If I recall correctly, Absolute Aram(i think it was him) said the recent books written by wolfe were not up to scratch. Age got him, the Pringles is reaching his expiration so you can't expect it to still taste fresh.
>>
>>9202476
It's a stupid theory only he is supporting.
We know who his granmother, granfather and father are, the only missing link is the mother, because she died at childbirth. You aren't wrong. He just has a Borski tier reading of it.
>>
>>9202482
>Absolute Aram
Who is this? Do you mean Marc Aramini? I can't imagine him criticizing Wolfe.

>>9202486
Ah, so everything I wrote is as it is? I heard that Urth of the New Sun went in some strange directions but Severian being his own father sounded like a bit much.
>>
>>9202486
>not wanting to cuck your grandfather and breed your grandma's nubile womb
It's like you're a normie or something
>>
>>9202462
Arguing with rabid Wolfe fanboys is pointless, they will defend even the biggest pile of poo and bad writing he puts out.
>>
File: 1480112084832.jpg (20KB, 720x533px) Image search: [Google]
1480112084832.jpg
20KB, 720x533px
>>9202500
>>
>>9202462
Look: you misgenred the book, it's entirely your own fault for being an idiot, not Wolfe's. 'Pirate Freedom' is a book in the tru-crime-life-of-pirates genre, not the time-travel-shenanigans genre.

As far as pirate books go, 'Pirate Freedom' is a very good one.

>>9202482
>Absolute Aram(i think it was him) said the recent books written by wolfe were not up to scratch.
He's an idiot, 'Home Fires' is top-notch.
>>
>>9202507
>Absolute Aram
Again, who is this and why is what he thinks worth discussing?
>>
>>9202507
>tru-crime-life-of-pirates
no
>As far as pirate books go, 'Pirate Freedom' is a very good one.
no
>>
>>9202493
Urth didn't actually bring anything new thematically, it's literally a compendium of the plot in form of a novel.
New Sun is a complete work and ended where it needed to, Urth just unintentionally opened a few questions it didn't need to. I mean Wolfe didn't want to write it for a reason. Not that it's bad, it just didn't need to be. The whole New Sun is an epic of well a thomist view of the universe and a personal religious tale.
>>9202493
Marc likes his new stuff. Especially Land Across if I remember it correctly, but it is no secret he no longer takes upon himself to write the greatest sff stories out there.
>>9202512
He is soon to publish his second volume on Wolfe out of three. It will in total be somewhere around 2500 pages. He clearly thinks everything he wrote is worth discussing.
>>
>>9202214
Anyone got any True Detective (Season 1) type stuff?
>>
>>9202514
'No' what, you idiot??

Anyways, 'Pirate Freedom' is great if you're interested in pirates and history. Skip it if you're a fan of """genre books""".
>>
>>9202522
Ligotti
>>
I've never read any Wolfe because it comes across as 2deep4me, but I'm interested in The Wizard Knight. Will a dumb shit like me be able to enjoy it?
>>
>>9202525
The question then is why he would put time travel in a novel about pirates and history in the first place
>>
>>9202522
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/71245.HBO_s_True_Detective#13647086

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/87245.Books_Rustin_Cohle_would_have_read_#13647086
>>
>>9202525
>Anyways, 'Pirate Freedom' is great if you're interested in pirates and history.
No. As in you're wrong, moron.
Neither of those statements are true, and this one isn't either. Get fucked.
>>
>>9202526
>>9202530
Thanks, lads.
>>
File: The Devil In A Forest.jpg (89KB, 655x1000px) Image search: [Google]
The Devil In A Forest.jpg
89KB, 655x1000px
>>9202529
Probably because nobody read The Devil In A Forest. Time travel makes for a catchier blurb than 'here's an old timey person doing exactly what old timey people did.' A common complaint on TDIAF is that the blurb is an enormous exaggeration of what the story's really about.
>>
>>9202528
That's his only decent book precisely because it isn't as 2deep4u. Give it a go, but definitely ignore the rest of his library, not much of merit there.
>>
>>9202528
Wolfe isn't that hard. He always goes out of his way to deal with themes and characters, but he obscures the plot. Certain details are always strange and sometimes incomprehensible to many people, but it's always about Catholicism.
>>
>>9202528
>I'm interested in The Wizard Knight. Will a dumb shit like me be able to enjoy it?
Yes. (IMO it's Wolfe's most complex and most interesting work.)

>>9202529
>The question then is why he would put time travel in a novel about pirates and history in the first place
That has a simple answer -- because he wanted a neutral, blank-slate narrator. Anything else would have clouded the reader's view of the setting and historical facts.

>>9202533
Whew, laddie, you really convinced me here with your biting argument.
>>
>>9202537
There's no need for Wolfe in 2007 to rely on the blurb. DiaF was written 30 years before and back then he wasn't THE author of science fiction.
>>9202539
It has plenty of "2deep4u" going on, but you are too stupid to dig bellow the surface. All of his post New Sun novels split the plot from the themes in a way that plebs can follow, but patricians still have a lot of interesting stuff in.
This happened because people complained too much they didn't get it. Which is a shame, because his more dreamlike novels are usually better.
>>
>>9202550
Then a simple 3rd person would have done the job. It's a strange choice.
>>
>>9202550
>Whew, laddie, you really convinced me here with your biting argument.
You mean after the entire fucking hour I wasted listing, in detail, everything wrong with the book? Which you dutifully ignored like the cumgobbling little fanboy you are? Fucking neck yourself.
>>
>>9202555
Here you have a pretentious Wolfe fanboy in his natural habitat.
>>
>>9202565
When is the last time you read something that isn't a fantasy novel?
>>
>it's a pinky derails another thread on /lit/ episode
>>
>>9202559
>Then a simple 3rd person would have done the job. It's a strange choice.
No, because then it would have been a non-fiction book.

>>9202561
>Which you dutifully ignored like the cumgobbling little fanboy you are?
Do you have fetal alcohol syndrome? I agreed with your criticism, you mong. Everything you wrote about 'Pirate Freedom' is correct, except for the fact that it's a book in a genre where these things are positives, not negatives. Nobody wants exciting tales of boys living vicariously through adventures in a novel that aims for a mostly accurate depiction of complex historical periods.
>>
>>9202583
But you are claiming that the point is nonfiction- the history and lives of pirates. Hence, strange. It wouldn't be his first non fiction.
>>9202581
I just came back my man, haven't posted in a while. It's raining like hell and I can't get out of the apartment.
>>
>>9202581
muh Wolfe

muh Christianity gimme some of that jesus cock
>>
>>9202592
C'mon man I used to shill a lot more than just Wolfe.
>>
>>9202591
>But you are claiming that the point is nonfiction- the history and lives of pirates. Hence, strange. It wouldn't be his first non fiction.
You don't understand the difference between 'non-fiction' and 'historical fiction'? You a tard or something?
>>
>>9202583
>a novel that aims for a mostly accurate depiction of complex historical periods.
It's not an accurate depiction- it's fiction and too vague. You can't eat your cake and have it too. Either your goal is historical accuracy or it's a unreliable narrator. You can't argue it's supposed to be historically accurate, if Wolfe skips over all the interesting historical parts- which is what I was complaining about in my very first post! So no! You're not agreeing with me!
>>
File: Dino Squad.jpg (92KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Dino Squad.jpg
92KB, 950x534px
>our ""older"" users post their tributes to the Wolfe
>>
>>9202609
But he chose to write "historical fiction" with a time traveling guy because he just wanted to be impartial because it wasn't about characters or anything, just history. The usual historical fiction uses characters that fit the time because they help the authenticity and if anyone, Wolfe is used to creating characters that are incredibly authentic concerning the setting.
Is the fact that I find it to be a strange choice so hard to understandd? You a tard or something?
>>
>>9202611
>It's not an accurate depiction- it's fiction and too vague.
It's definitely not 'too vague'. If anything it's too autistically detailed.

>Wolfe skips over all the interesting historical parts
"Adventures 'n kicking ass 'n shit" aren't interesting historical parts. The interesting historical parts are e.g, how they had to make their own bullets, or how long a musket took to load, or the specific details of buccaneer lifestyle on Hispaniola.

>>9202623
>The usual historical fiction uses characters that fit the time because they help the authenticity and if anyone, Wolfe is used to creating characters that are incredibly authentic concerning the setting.
No, Wolfe understands how the narrator colors the narrative and 'helping the authenticity' (a.k.a. exoticism), is exactly what he wanted to avoid. Nothing strange about it because his Latro books used the exact same 'blank slate narrator' trick.
>>
Just picked up Grim Company.
>>
File: hyperion.jpg (289KB, 880x1360px) Image search: [Google]
hyperion.jpg
289KB, 880x1360px
anybody have any recommendations for science fiction books with a Bladerunner sort of feel to them?
>>
>>9202682
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
>>
>>9202324
He does, but late in the trilogy. Can't really say more without too many spoilers.

And Nah. Conphas is too delusional to accept a dicking
>>
Any good works of fiction with a little girl protagonist?
>>
>>9202804
Yeah but you won't read them anyway so I'm not telling you.
>>
File: 1445545050992.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445545050992.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>>9202807
>>
>>9202816
yeah, why not just read anime light novels?
>>
File: 1444936714890.jpg (93KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
1444936714890.jpg
93KB, 313x382px
>>9202837
Because I don't know Japanese.
Reading translations is an abomination.
>>
>>9202847
>Reading translations is an abomination.
I hope you're being ironic. You're going to have to choose one or the other, because pedophilia is illegal in the west.
>>
File: 1476988468660.gif (2MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1476988468660.gif
2MB, 600x338px
>>9202860
I didn't even ask the question in >>9202804 so the joke's on you.
>>
>>9202847
Learn Japanese then. It's easier than you think.
>>9202860
He's not wrong, especially when you're talking LNs. They don't have experienced masters like Jay Rubin in the lit world. Most LN translators are teens to young adults who can't be considered fluent in either Japanese or English for the most part. Plus there's very few translations in total, and most of them are crap. The true gems will never be translated.
>>
>>9202873
Yeah, I guess. I don't really care about light novels, because the concept seems suspect to me. What the hell is a light novel? Mostly dialog? 30 pages long? I have a translation of a Baccano LN on my kindle, and it wasn't bad- I actually thought it was pretty well translated and it got a chuckle or two out of me. But to be fair, I don't know who translated it. It was a rip, so it could be legit.
>>
>>9202872
>that gif
Wtf is this shit?
>>
>>9202709
Is there ever a dickgirl with a vagina in the series again?
How I understand it that one was special his first prize dickgirl
>>
Reposting Malazan question
>>9201684
>>9202034
>>
>>9202885
LN is a marketing term and doesn't mean anything really. The west has gotten a very distorted image of them because of popular anime adaptions thinking it's all harems or isekai stuff. It's best if you forget everything you ever heard about its definition on places like /a/.
Wanna know how LNs originated? People slapped anime covers on normal science fiction books in the 70s~. But there's also LNs without any illustrations, and books with illustrations that aren't LNs (did you know Fate/Zero is a normal novel, not a LN?). There's also LNs that are 600+ pages thick so size isn't a factor either. Hell there is one author who basically writes early 20st century historical fiction and sells it as an "LN" - when you read reviews of Japanese people quite a few of them complain it's too dense.
Basically like with books and anything else, most of it is bad and generic, but there's also a good chunk of greats. Unfortunately the former is also the stuff that usually gets super popular.
>>
>>9202947
>Hell there is one author who basically writes early 20st century historical fiction and sells it as an "LN" - when you read reviews of Japanese people quite a few of them complain it's too dense.

What's this?
>>
>>9202888
It's my gf.
>>
>>9202947
oh, ok. thanks. i always assumed it was like ya - you know, "light reading"
>>
File: Timeline - Michael Crichton.jpg (59KB, 452x633px) Image search: [Google]
Timeline - Michael Crichton.jpg
59KB, 452x633px
>>9202241
>Anybody got any decent time travel stories that aren't sci-fi?
"Timeline" by Michael Crichton although the time travel plot device is scifi. Crichton does well with demonstrating differences that I believe you'd enjoy although not anywhere near as good a job as he did in "The Great Train Robbery".
>>
>>9203005
Thanks. Read that one though. I liked it. I especially liked the part where they straight up murdered the guy just because he was a dick.

Seriously though, the guy didn't even do anything. He was just talking about cutting his losses, which, yeah, dick, but he always backed down and never actually even endangered anyone, let alone actually attempt to let them die. Bad end.
>>
>>9203005
Have you read The Eaters of the Dead? I really enjoyed that- about that 10th century arab that went of to live with vikings.
Do you know how Pirate Latitudes is?
>>
Will anything ever compare to LOTR?

I mean GoT is extremely popular right now but let's be real it will be some niche forgotten series in 30 years time where as LOTR won't be.
>>
>>9202241
>Anybody got any decent time travel stories that aren't sci-fi?
A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court
>>
>>9203056
read that too
>>
File: Island_in_the_Sea_of_Time.jpg (46KB, 287x499px) Image search: [Google]
Island_in_the_Sea_of_Time.jpg
46KB, 287x499px
>>9203080
Bamf!
>>
>>9202682
Neuromancer
>>
>>9203080
You could try the film the butterfly effect. It's not exactly what you're asking but not SF either. Find the director's cut.
>>
>>9203087
Ooh! Haven't read that one! Thanks, I'll def. check it out.
>>
What can you tell me about Robert Charles Wilson? Just read his short story 'Divided by Infinity' in an anthology and it freaked me the fuck out.
>>
Three Dark Crowns was pretty good despite the autistic reviews
>>
>>9203080
>Time slips featuring a child and a realistic depiction of an earlier period enjoyed a vogue in the UK in the mid-20th century. Successful examples include Alison Uttley's A Traveller in Time (1939) going back to the time of Mary, Queen of Scots, Philippa Pearce's Tom's Midnight Garden (1958) returning to the 1880s and 1890s, Barbara Sleigh's Jessamy (1967) and Penelope Farmer's Charlotte Sometimes, both slipping back to the period of the First World War, Ruth Park's Playing Beatie Bow (1980), where the slip in Sydney, Australia, is to the squalor of 1873, and Helen Cresswell's Moondial, where three times are involved (1988, also televised)
>>
File: Doomsday_Book.jpg (489KB, 1451x2393px) Image search: [Google]
Doomsday_Book.jpg
489KB, 1451x2393px
>>9203096
Also, perhaps this.
>>
>>9203089
thanks. I know it, but that's really not what I'm looking for.

>>9203103
thank you, I'll check some of these out. Though by the titles, some of them remind me of that outlander series (which irritates me, because that outlanders movie (from 98?) looks like it'd be good book, but I can't even find a novelization)

>>9203141
>A TOUR DE FORCE
thank you, I'll check it out too.
>>
File: Snowcrash.jpg (34KB, 205x350px) Image search: [Google]
Snowcrash.jpg
34KB, 205x350px
SnowCrash is awesome. It's like a full length novel based on those AnCap memes.

My main complaint is the annoying nu-male irony. Why do all the characters have to act like effeminate, sassy teenage girls? When did annoying, insincere characters become the norm? How do we fix this?
>>
>>9203203
Y-you do know that Y. T. is a girl r-right?
>>
File: YoursTruly.jpg (164KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
YoursTruly.jpg
164KB, 1024x768px
>>9203222
Would you fug? Benis in bagina?
>>
>>9203203
>When did annoying, insincere characters become the norm
around the same time depicting women as obnoxious, unloving harpies became a thing.

being a bitch =/= a strong female character
being a sarcastic asshole =/= cool, relatable male character

I swear to christ.
>>
>>9202847
Good news: light novels are fucking trash so nothing is being lost in translation.
>>
File: TheFrenchintheHighChateu.jpg (338KB, 1000x1363px) Image search: [Google]
TheFrenchintheHighChateu.jpg
338KB, 1000x1363px
>>9203255
Yeah, I've noticed PKD does that a lot. Why was the Dickmeister so damn bitter?
>>
>>9202219
if non-fiction is good too you should check out your diary to be honest
>>
>>9203269
Probably because he was going nuts in the head.

>Stanislaw Lem is a communist conspiracy and does not exist!
>>
>>9203233
It would be illegal :3
>>
>>9203278
>Stanislaw Lem is a communist conspiracy and does not exist!
This is hysterical.
accusing people who are clearly actual people of not existing is my aesthetic.
>>
Started up Leviathan Wakes. Isn't weird now when you can tell an author browses reddit by the type of humor they have use?
>>
File: solar cycle.png (2MB, 1140x1228px) Image search: [Google]
solar cycle.png
2MB, 1140x1228px
Rank them.

Pro tip: you can't
>>
File: AnCapBall.png (286KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
AnCapBall.png
286KB, 640x640px
>>9203286
>imblying
>>
>>9203312
1/10 for all of them, done
>>
File: lel.jpg (33KB, 463x424px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
33KB, 463x424px
>>9203286
But what if YT consents?
>>
>>9203319
"rank" and "rate" are two different words
>>
>>9203269
>>9203278
He also had three or four failed marriages
>>
>>9203343
We both know how this ends.
>>
File: Ayy.jpg (102KB, 537x554px) Image search: [Google]
Ayy.jpg
102KB, 537x554px
>>9203386
How what ends?
>>
Haven't read a fantasy novel since A Dance With Dragons in 2011

has there been anything good in the last 6 years?
>>
>>9203343
>that pic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB9fwJDweaU
>>
>>9202414
The future is a metaphor for forward progress of the soul. He can return to innocence or go backwards as Ignacio (fire) and damn himself, but true redemption is possible even for a casuist like Chris. Instead, he returns to his vomit, blaming god for regressing to ignacio. Lesage is probably his father, a "wise guy" who is becomes his enemy for greed. It is a morality play where the catholic priest fails and blames environment for his own free choices.
>>
>>9203452
>has there been anything good in the last 6 years?
No, and I am confused as to why this is such a popular question.
>>
>>9203269
About five failed marriages, multiple children, drug dependency, poverty and his only income being too little (often ripped off by genre publishers on royalties.)

The radio interviews are particularly illuminating on these points; having electricity cut off, driving a beaten up car, finding out that the new cashier, in an entry position, made much more money than him. But PKD considered himself fortunate even to be published, and even berates the snooty attitude of other SF writers who, as he saw it, used SF for their own ends and then renounced it (Vonnegut.)

Anyway, it is funny when you notice how the women in his books are always neurotic, capricious, and sleep around.
>>
>>9203686
Well that's just women in general.
>>
File: GatewayNovel.jpg (21KB, 220x328px) Image search: [Google]
GatewayNovel.jpg
21KB, 220x328px
any other ~"classic" scifi which still holds up today? Aside from the USSR references, Gateway could have been written in the last ten years

Suggestions?
>>
>>9203727
I've read some of Bradbury, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein and other golden age writers. Of these, Asimov's style feels the most contemporary; it's unadorned, dialogue driven, fast to read, and even the info dump parts and lore are written simply. His Foundation trilogy is the best example.
>>
>>9203018
>Bad end.
I agree. It was too clean. In reality, the other execs wouldn't have lifted a finger if it meant risking vested options before the IPO.

The Andre Marek character is the best part of the novel, in my opinion.

>>9203033
>Have you read The Eaters of the Dead?
Nope, but I will now. Thank you.

>Do you know how Pirate Latitudes is?
I found it disappointing. Even as a shallow Caribbean adventure novel, the plot is poor and there isn't much period-specific detail.
>>
>>9203808
Thanks a lot, I'm new to the genre but even I know Asimov's a big mover. I'll check him out.
>>
>>9203820
I hope you enjoy it, it's based on an actual historical document, that's sadly incomplete, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless.

That about PL is disappointing, but I suppose there's nothing for it. Thanks anyway.
>>
File: a3.jpg (155KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
a3.jpg
155KB, 1066x1600px
>>9202214
>the girl who played Lucy Pevensie is grown up
hnnnggg
>>
Anything that's so full of plot twist and modernism as Devilman?
>>
>>9203686
Sounds like he portrays women pretty accurately.
>>
>>9203861
I'm looking forward to it. I read Major Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" and was thinking about trying some of Burton's writing about the Sinai so this should be a nice tangent away from Arabia.
>>
Wolfe is very clearly brilliant but I can't help but feel that his writing is sort of lacking in some aspect; when I read Wolfe I feel nearly claustrophobic, as though the room were slowly, inevitably closing in on me. The intellectual challenge of deciphering his puzzles is stimulating, but as one unravels thread after thread, it begins almost to seem as though there isn't a single phrase left untouched by motivic construction and interpretation; it's like a puzzle-box, beautifully designed and masterfully crafted but, once you solve the puzzles and unlock the mechanisms (a process requiring great concentration and mental effort), there isn't enough left to hold your interest.

While I'm holding myself up pretentiously I may as well go the extra mile and say that I feel like people who claim that Wolfe is their favorite author are either not very widely read or, more interestingly, are more interested in the feeling of edification that comes from unraveling the knotted tangles of plotlines and symbols than in the 'pure aesthetic pleasure' of literature -- whatever that means. Not to say, of course, that interpretation is all soulless (hardly!) -- it just seems characteristic of a fixation on details, one that tends to miss the forest for the trees (naturally one can argue that understanding the forest cannot be accomplished without first understanding its constituent trees, but if you will permit me a loose analogy here...).

Again, Wolfe is one of my favorite authors, and I greatly admire his talent -- but in some ways the overfixation on Wolfe seems like merely a much more grown-up version of people who like Egan and "hard science-fiction" in general (which is something I openly disdain; I really don't like Egan).
>>
>>9203996
To rephrase, it seems to be true in a sense that Wolfe's writing is almost "too rich"; that it's so full of allegory and symbolism that the explicitly constructed nature of the stories becomes more and more apparent upon detailed analysis. Maybe this is the purpose; certainly seeming "explicitly constructed" is not inherently bad, and all fiction can hardly escape being "explicitly constructed" by nature whether they reveal it or not; nevertheless I think that in the sense I mean it when describing Wolfe's writing, it is distinctly a quality which on balance which detracts more than it adds, and additionally is too often ignored by people singing his praises.

(For what it's worth, I just finished reading The Fifth Head of Cerberus; previously I've read Book of the New/Long/Short Sun and The Sorcerer's House.)
>>
>>9204190
I don't ignore it, I see it as an intentional expression of his worldview. The world for him is perfectly ordered and everything has a telos.
>>
The main character in the grim company is the most annoying fucker I've ever read about.
>>
File: TittyCycle.jpg (296KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
TittyCycle.jpg
296KB, 640x360px
Why has this thread devolved into /FantasyGen/? Why even have the name with scifi?
>>
>>9204328
sci-fi is patrician

fantasy is pleb
>>
>>9204328
People like both but Fantasy is more popular. If you don't like it then make your own thread. It will die ignominiously, just like the others.
>>
File: rothfuss.jpe.jpg (252KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
rothfuss.jpe.jpg
252KB, 1500x1125px
Have you donated to my charity yet anon?
>>
>>9204328
fantasy's pretty big at the moment. also without trying to sound rude I think sci-fi is easier to navigate and there's well defined subgenres and authors which allow you find common directions and themes.
>>
>>9204328
Childhood is reading fantasy
Adulthood is living sci fi
>>
>>9204382
Only when book three is out.
>>
>>9204245
But it's implausible to present multiple subjective windows into the world in which almost every detail is a perfect expression of the particular order which "explains" the plot, no more and no less. Even in a perfectly ordered world, to have these "puzzle-box" situations, where the level of detail and complexity is great but the mysteries, however complex, begin and end in the text, is implausible unless the world itself is explicitly constructed around the telling of the story, in which case the world is no longer interesting! This is especially true when applied to Wolfe's liberal usage of "unreliable narrators" -- why should their arbitrary, subjective perceptions of the world capture so much of the order necessary for the narrative, not more or less?
>>
>>9203312
I can, but I won't

Just as a test to see if anyone else can do it
>>
>>9204328
imagine pounding that MILF while she calls you her little boy
>>
>>9204599
no
>>
>>9203269
All I see in the thumbnail is DICK

all I see is dick
>>
>>9204564
>This is especially true when applied to Wolfe's liberal usage of "unreliable narrators" -- why should their arbitrary, subjective perceptions of the world capture so much of the order necessary for the narrative, not more or less?
That's the whole point. He's an epistomological realist and a Catholic, he's playing with postmodern tropes of an absence of truth, using the supreme subjectivity of his characters to paint a perfect order.
>>
Should I real Malazan Book of the Fallen, or The Second Apocalypse series?
>>
>>9202893
There are no consult creations with vaginas
>>
>>9204904
They're pretty different so just go with whatever seems the most appealing.

Keep in mind, malazan is an Xbox hueg series
>>
File: 1406745993055.jpg (49KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
1406745993055.jpg
49KB, 337x500px
Thoughts?
>>
>>9202682
Altered Carbon
>>
>>9205045
Reddit memes, you'll love him if you're a Rothfus fan.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 163x173px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 163x173px
>finally find somebody IRL who likes sci-fi
>he says Neal Stephenson is shit because his books are too long and keep going off on rambling tangents

Why can't people realise that's the entire damn point?
>>
>>9205045
Not as good as warrior prophet
>>
>>9202219
American Elsewhere has a dude getting cucked by an eldritch abomination, technically he's cucking it, but it's not presented that way
>>
File: 81kLBS8j1QL.jpg (471KB, 1400x2128px) Image search: [Google]
81kLBS8j1QL.jpg
471KB, 1400x2128px
I just finished reading The Dark Forest. This (with the preceding Three Body Problem) is my first time reading translated Chinese fiction.

I was really struck by the general pessimism of the whole thing. Most of the perspective characters appear to be psychopaths of some kind, and then it turns out the whole universe is full of psychopath civilizations and only the psychopaths don't get wiped out the moment they reveal their existence, so the only solution to the crisis is to threaten a double suicide with the Trisolarans.

Is this negative outlook a characteristic of the writer (who going by the afterword has been through a hell of a lot of shit in his life) or of Chinese fiction in general (since a lot of Chinese have gone through a whole lot of shit in their lives)?
>>
Only PKD, Stapledon, Lem and Ellison are of any good here.
>>
>>9202989
Why does it look like she is constipated and straining to bust a huge shit?
>>
>>9205126
they have literally nothing in common
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>9203727
Y-you want books that hold up today?
>>
>>9205472
>Neil Gayman

dropped
>>
>>9205530
You should read trigger warnings. It's great.
It's a bunch of short stories.
>>
/sffg/ how long and how often do you think most half-decent sff writers write before being able to write a novella?

>>9205183
Don't read the last one. not only do the books get progressively more depressing, they get worse. Literally the only part worth reading is the fairy tale in the middle.

as for your question, I haven't read enough chinese fiction to tell (pretty much exclusively stuff written by writers with the name liu). From what I've seen, it seems to be much more dark but in the realistic sense, not the edgy sense
>>
TUC when?

I'm literally grasping my absolute as I type this.
>>
>>9205472
>tfw you can never tell which charts are trolls or not
>>
>>9204190
>>9203996

I think that if you're so inclined to follow the string into the labyrinth, it does seem like Wolfe only writes puzzles, not necessarily stories. But then comes the paradox of if you're looking for that symbolism and underlying meaning, you'll find it, or at least traces of it, because he definitely does fill his stories up with that kind of stuff.

But if you dont keep your nose to the ground, his stories are quite enjoyable on their own. New Sun wouldn't seem too distantly related to Conan or Fafhrd & The Grey Mauser. Sorcerer's House is an interesting magical mystery told through letters, and so on.
>>
Hey /sffg/ I was wondering if you guys could help me find the name of a short story I read a while ago

It's about this girl in a bookstore, and she uses the internet to do something but that attracts a fairy which uses the internet to get around. There's also some kind of magical creature living in her house that helps her out. It almost leaves at the end but stays because it likes her. I think it was alluded that the story was part of a series. Can anyone help me find this?
>>
>>9202241
>>9203141
>>9203187

Seconding Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

There are some boring parts in the future/present that don't come off but the part in the past is vivid and compelling. Perfect bridge for the modern reader to the plague years.

I read it years and years ago and some of the scenes are still vivid in my mind today.
>>
>>9206037
Is your absolute also your little brother? Are you giving him a fine trashing?
>>
File: Suggestion Chart.jpg (699KB, 1000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Suggestion Chart.jpg
699KB, 1000x4000px
>>9206050
None are? I genuinely suggest all. They were supposed to be done like pic related so you could read easily from your likes (or the most asked subgenres in sffg). But editing charts are hard fucking work, and I'm lazy as fug.

>>9206232
Kinda sounds like a ya trash story by Julia Kagawa.. but the internet (iron) fairy was onto her before. It's not that is it?
>>
>>9205045
it sucked
>>
>>9205126
>>9205137
>>9206512
Thanks for warning me lads

I had that one saved in my book folder and was thinking about getting around to reading it
>>
File: 1487609165389.png (93KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
1487609165389.png
93KB, 250x237px
>read Book of the New Sun
>get sad that I am not genetically engineering to be a tall ruling class like the exultants with their beautiful skin on blue eyes
>"oh wait I'm white"
>>
>>9206586
engineered

just for the record i type fast so when i see the zaggy lines i right click the word and have google correct it for me
i am not to blame
>>
>>9206543
>starting on the third book in the series

???
>>
>>9206037
Literally July

As long as they don't push back release by a few weeks like last time
>>
>>9206597
How would I know it's the third one?

I would have looked it up before purchasing of course
>>
>watching first ep of season 2
>just realized the fox scene passed
>there was no "that will never fit" part
>there was no belly distended part
>there was no extended scenes of her moaning on the dick
>there was no turns a soulless whore part
RRREEEEEEEEE
Hollywood can't even get a rape scene right?

You think he writing another GRI urban fantasy books guys?
>>
>>9205363
I asked her to keep it in until I give her an enema.
>>
>>9206603
>July
Reeeeeeeeeee i have 2 more books to go before I can read TUC. I don't know if I can make it guys.
My truth is weak.
>>
>>9206636
the fuck are you talking about/
>>
>>9206636
>Hollywood
Are you sure you are on the right board?
>>
File: 1452372972825.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452372972825.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>>9206636
>>
>>9204947
Then are all skilvendie faggots? ((((She)))) said she was amongst the most dangerous of fags' people for years as a ""woman"". I think you would notice or be concerned as fug if your wife had a dick just like you (or even bigger) and got an erection whenever you did.
>>
>>9206648
>>9206651
>>9206658
The hints are supposed to be glaring enough.
>fox god
>rape
>"that can't fit"
>soulless whore
>>
File: IMG_2270.jpg (42KB, 400x430px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2270.jpg
42KB, 400x430px
Fuck you guys for making me read this trash
>>
Someone tell me why I should read Malazan.
>>
>>9206812
It's a decent fantasy novel series.
>>
>>9206818
Not really selling me on it. I have plenty of other options right now, including other decent fantasy novel series.
>>
>>9206849
Then dont read it faggot why should we care
>>
>>9202682
Pretty much every PKD story is a better Blade Runner than Blade Runner. Some of my favourite ones are ''Flow My Tears,' The Policeman Said', The World Jones Made and The Man in the High Castle.
>>
>>9203044
Book of the New Sun
>>
File: DEVILMAN_v01c05_p234-235.png (410KB, 1530x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DEVILMAN_v01c05_p234-235.png
410KB, 1530x1200px
>>9203882
Devilman is a masterpiece. There's nothing else quite like it.
>>
>>9203996
His stories are often loaded to the top with allusions, hidden meanings and puzzles but as others have said you don't have to focus on them just because they're there. His stories are very entertaining taken as straight fiction, you don't have to drive yourself mad trying to work out Veil's Hypothesis or whether or not Weer fathered a child in his life. Book of the New Sun can be just as fascinating and entertaining as Eyes of the Overworld/Cugel's Saga taken as a straight adventure through a weird landscape full of talkative freaks. And he occasionally does write some straightforwardish stuff. The Devil In A Forest is a great straightforward adventure/coming of age thing.

Also on the topic of simple writing for children, I just read an interview where Wolfe said that he enjoyed the first Harry Potter book and said that it was great for children. Wolfe or Bloom. You have to pick a side.
>>
Yesterday was the 7th. What new releases did you get?
>>
>>9204382
Commie jew fuck...
>>
>>9202901

He was the man-eating beast that has multiple versions of himself(d'iver was it called?) the sequence shows him basically coming back to life, being introduced as a calamity. He keeps eating people and gaining more clones of himself, but at some point he meets Iskaral Pust and get thrashed
>>
File: IMG_0404.jpg (4KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0404.jpg
4KB, 100x100px
Can someone recommend me more sci-fi like Blindsight? I already read everything else by the author.

I wouldn't mind better prose!
>>
>>9207630
How about you start by writing what you like about it
>>
File: 1469750885363.jpg (59KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1469750885363.jpg
59KB, 640x426px
>>9207634
I like that it's dystopian hard sci-fi with a somewhat unusual take on things.
>>
File: ui_asteroid_all_01_02a.jpg (381KB, 2542x1078px) Image search: [Google]
ui_asteroid_all_01_02a.jpg
381KB, 2542x1078px
>>9207630
Greg Bear doesn't come close, but he comes closest from what ive read

Watts is pretty independent in the genre.

Assuming you crunched Rifters and Echo, you tried his short stories? They banged.
His websites full of misc. stuff too, just select fiblets from the dropdown on the right
http://www.rifters.com/crawl/
>>
File: 1458573861220.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1458573861220.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>9207663
I read "Beyond the Rift, which is a collection of short stories. I'll check out the website.

Which Greg Bear do you suggest I start with?

Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
File: 1420563442969.jpg (408KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1420563442969.jpg
408KB, 1920x1440px
>>9207630
Alastair Reynolds tackles similar themes, and I was reminded of him when reading Blindsight for the first time this year. Although their styles are different. You could try Chasm City or The Prefect or something, to see if you like the author. Or maybe the novella Diamond Dogs, as the plot is a little similar to Blindsight
>>
>>9207688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60swM-5oLms
Posting the link to Diamond Dogs, the first half of the video or so.
>>
File: 1487461183038.jpg (327KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1487461183038.jpg
327KB, 960x1280px
>>9207688
>>9207693
I read most of Reynolds. I liked the first two books, but things go downhill after that and the ending to the series is extremely unsatisfying. Diamond Dogs was cool too.
>>
>>9207698
How about his thematically different Poseidons Children trilogy?
>>
>>9202214
Any tips for writing scifi that reads like a myth?
>>
>>9207687
blood music or darwins radio
>>
File: Chasm_City_cover_(Amazon).jpg (14KB, 220x316px) Image search: [Google]
Chasm_City_cover_(Amazon).jpg
14KB, 220x316px
>>9207688
chasm city rocks, although i really didnt enjoy the rest of the revelation space stuff. I think chasm could be read as a standalone novel and still really enjoyed
>>
>>9207621
But that's in The Bonehunters?
>>
File: Reynard the Fox – 1092389.jpg (15KB, 214x235px) Image search: [Google]
Reynard the Fox – 1092389.jpg
15KB, 214x235px
>>9206636
He was supposed to be in fox form when he raped her. But they can't show that shit on tv. The feminist and legal sjw activists would create a shitstorm. So they had to keep it as vague as possible.
We probably have to wait till the uncut dvd comes out. I mean their is no fucking cussing. Shit's PG.
>>
>>9206704
I think they have retractable dicks iirc
>>
>>9208017
I think it more or less is a standalone, as with the prefect, until the prefect sequel comes out this year. the Revelation Space universe has the main storyline, but also many other stories set in there, sharing settings and sometimes characters.
>>
>>9207630
>picture for ants.jpg
>>
>>9208042
which
fucking
show?
>>
>>9205740
How do you get more depressing than the dark forest model of galactic civilization?
>>
>>9207698
>>9207630
>>9207641
>>9207687
Why do you look like a certain tripfag tranny from /lgbt/???
>>
>>9208044
Sooooo you're docking when you "fuck" one in girl form?
Why not just bugger them then?
Also why didn't "i can't trust anyone but you mother, you know this" didn't retrace his? Things would have been so much easier if their was a phallus to grasp...
>>
>>9202214
pretty good art, but wtf @ the candle. it's supposed to be a gas lamp.
>>
File: punched the wall.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
punched the wall.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>9208008
Thanks.

>>9207721
The description didn't interest me that much.

>>9208088
That's not me, and it's a real girl.
>>
>>9208063
>reynard the fox
>rape
>season 2
You don't actually read books here do you... that book has been shilled up and down, recommended left and right, but you still haven't read it?

It probably falls into the "shit" category yall like to spew here, so it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>9208121
Is this a fucking game to you? Just say the fucking title!
>>
>>9208131
:3
>>
>>9208100
Theyre soulless perversions of life, so I can assume buggering occurred.

And his mother's skinspy didn't because it had already decided to kill him. They wanted Conphas off his leash.
>>
>>9208131
The Magicians
Here is where you say "oh, that shit. Didn't read lol/kek/praise"
>>
>>9208142
thank you
>>
>>9208141
If a skinspy came to you looking exactly like the person you wanted to fuck the most... would you?
They would grow breasts etc, have hips, ass, thighs.. but keep the dick... would you fuck them?

Your answer will shed light on how long you were on 4chan, and how much it has affected you.
>>
>>9208149
That is not what I expected....
>>
File: blood mirror.jpg (29KB, 225x346px) Image search: [Google]
blood mirror.jpg
29KB, 225x346px
What went wrong?
>>
>>9208258
inordinate focus on the tightness of tisis's vagina

the plot barely moved in the grand scheme of things
>>
File: 1478151042861.jpg (167KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478151042861.jpg
167KB, 1024x768px
>>9208258
Weeks met a girl with tight pussy syndrome. So he wrote this book in an attempt to moisten her wet walls, and slacken the strings that hold the drawbridge to her heart (and thus pussy) close.
>>
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/04/brandon-sanderson-heralding-a-new-era-of-fantasy.html
>>
>>9208258
T I G H T
I
G
H
T
>>
>>9208365
>2014
>news
>3 years later
>slowpoke.webp
>>
>>9208304
Why didn't he just fuck her ass instead?
>>
>>9208304
Someone should post this pic to breeks twitter or website and document his response.
>>
Is it just me or is Red Rising a piece of shit?
>>
>>9208374
I think weeks had enough of ass fucking in Night Angel Trilogy to last him a lifetime.
>tfw no tight pussy syndrome gf that I would never cheat on because every time is gonna be like the first time
>>
File: 1484843163953.jpg (156KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1484843163953.jpg
156KB, 1024x768px
>>9208389
Just you
>>
>>9206797
What good books does this place actually recommend though? I don't know what you're expecting. 90% of recommendations from this place are complete trash
>>
>>9208389
It's edgy YA what do you think
>>
File: 1488657061876.jpg (48KB, 459x308px) Image search: [Google]
1488657061876.jpg
48KB, 459x308px
>>9208390
You can never have enough ass fucking.
Especially when you start to get into scat.
>>
>>9208070
Remainig quiet wont save you if the dark forest is on fire
>>
>>9205740
>/sffg/ how long and how often do you think most half-decent sff writers write before being able to write a novella?

One million words
>>
Do any of you listen to anything while reading?

I mostly put on some white/brown noise to drown out the background sounds but every now and then I'll put on a low key space ambient mix if I'm reading sci fi or fantasy ambient mix for reading fantasy. Some of the jeremy soule soundtracks from the elder scrolls games are what my catalyzed my love for fantasy desu.
>>
>>9208653
no
>>
>>9208653
I can't think/read while being aurally stimulated.
>>
Is Neon Genesis New Weird?
>>
>>9208395
I read Tigana off a rec and am currently reading the worm ouroboros off a rec. very happy with both.
>>
File: peltor.jpg (254KB, 389x450px) Image search: [Google]
peltor.jpg
254KB, 389x450px
>>9208653
I always wear these while reading so I don't get distracted.
>>
>>9208692
It's from the 90s, so no.
>>
>>9208709
I've used those for sleeping but it makes my ears sweaty.(Optime 2 though)

>>9208770
Well, there are New Weird works from the 90s and even before the 90s. (Virconium)
>>
>>9208692
I thought this said 'is New Guinea New World?' and thought what an astute question. I'm still not convinced there isn't some kind of relation. They match so neatly.
>>
>>9208796
I think I'm misunderstanding what "new weird" is
>>
>>9208796
I've actually got Optime 2 too but I just took the first image off of google for "Peltor".
I get sweaty ears sometimes too but it's a small price to pay to read in peace.
>>
Are there any books that center around defending a castle or outpost with a last stand mentality?

Kind of like if the entire Helm's Deep battle was focused on the micro level or an Assault on Precint 13 in space kind of deal.
>>
>>9208709
I used to have something like these but they hurt my ears after an hour or two.

Do you not have that problem with these?
>>
>>9208853
Nah, Peltor Optime 2 are pretty good.
>>
>>9208842
Good question. These happen a lot in Feist's Riftwar Cycle, but I can't think of any standalone books where it's the central theme.
>>
>>9208943
>Feist's Riftwar Cycle,
I'll take what I can get. Thanks.
>>
>>9208842
The first law trilogy has some of those.
>>
just read this
it blew
>>
>>9208974
>it blew
Are you blue?
>>
>>9208957
There's at least one in Magician, but I have a feeling you'll like the major one in Darkness at Sethanon.
The much maligned Shannara series likes this trope as well. Give the original trilogy a try if you don't mind dusty and mediocre fantasy.
>>
Why aren't SJWs all over Wolfe's The Wizard Knight?
>>
>>9209009
Too hard to read.
>>
>>9209009
Why was it that Orson Scott Card was such a rightist but Ender's game romantisized interracial gay pedophila
>>
File: 67.jpg (904KB, 1250x2044px) Image search: [Google]
67.jpg
904KB, 1250x2044px
Anyone read the sequels of Gateway, aka The Heechee saga ?

Currently at #4 with Heechee Rendezvous and this one including everything after Gateway are so shit. But I keep reading because Gateway itself was so good and for some reason it makes me think that the series will become good again somewhere down the line. But I guess it won't because Pohl ruined it...
>>
>>9208389
It's OK if you're mentally not quite an adult yet, or want to read aomething simpler for a change.
>>
>>9208165
Why would they keep the dick? They're literally copies of face dancers from Dune, there's no reason why they can't change their sex as well as their faces.
4chan has nothing to do with liking trannies. That's related to jacking off to so much shitty modern porn that your brain started associating other mens' dicks with arousal.
Anyway, yeah would fugg.
>>
>>9208842
I haven't read it yet but the plot of Legend by David Gemmell is like that.
>>
>>9209276
I read the 2nd and 3rd books.
Second wasn't so bad, adds more world building about the aliens. But the characters just got worse in the third book and I didn't really feel like reading any further.
>>
>>9209468
Yes, the world is interesting yet the characters are real shit. I mean Robinette was a hilariously fucked up dude who turned into a responsible CEO and a loving husband, what the fuck is up with that?
>>
>>9208974
>female warriors
DROPPED
>>
you guys should read, "Camouflage," by Joe Haldeman
>>
>>9208842
There's a great tower defense in The Power That Preserves, but it's only one chapter in the third book of a trilogy and the rest is nothing like it.
>>
>>9209940
That's not how you sell books. Either write a (short) review or don't post at all.
>>
File: statue-of-boudica.jpg (151KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
statue-of-boudica.jpg
151KB, 800x600px
>>9209920
This is becoming a fixation, anon.
>>
>>9209956
sry
>>
Anyone ever read any Charles Stross?
>>
>>9208842

Battle of Wits. There's like 5-10 minutes of framing story, and then just nonstop siege.

A Mozi warrior (basically an ancient jedi) is summoned to defend a small city against an invading army.

It's a book and movie if I recall.
>>
>>9209963

She lost. So did Joan of Arc.
>>
>>9209009
Strict roles that people have to play as parts of an orderedd hierarchy.
Catholicism.
>>
>>9208070
Blindsight.
>>
>>9202241
>1500 was 1500 years ago
Feels old man.
>>
>>9202463
Speak for yourself, I'm a "Severian raped Phoebe" guy myself.
>>
>>9209993
She liberated France and is a saint, that's a significant victory.
>>
>>9209963
If female warriors in fantasy were more like Boudica I'd be happy enough. Getting everyone under their command haplessly slaughtered then running away is far more believable.
>>
>Severian is his own dad
I might be too dumb for that one

From reading BotnS I have gathered the following
>The fat inkeep is Dorca's son and Severian's dad
>Dorcas is Severian's grandma
>the crazy old man that searches for his wife in the botanical gardens might be Dorca's husband and Severian's grandpa and she might be sitting at his deathbed when Severian sees her for the last time in the ruined city maybe?
>the inkeep makes some allusion to someone who might be Severian's mom but she's gone and with the vibe I get from Wolfe she might very well be any mom aged character in the books like the Pellerine in Thrax for example

What am I missing?

I had a hard enough time wrapping my mind around the Severian playing in his own grave and how it has the coin symbol in it stuff
>>
>>9210161
>She liberated France
Captured and burnt at the stake in 1431. The war continued until 1453. I suspect her later canonization wasn't much comfort to her on the pyre.
>>
>>9210161
She got turned into a BBQ 20 years before the war ended.
>>
>>9209920
A sign of your latent homosexuality.
>>
>>9210201
Nothing. You got it right.
>>
>>9210208
I'll fuck you up the ass then shit in your belly button we'll see who's a fag then
>>
what are some books in the style of the arabian nights?
>>
>>9210261
catalog control f "tales"

that thread has stuff like that
>>
Is three body problem a meme book

I read the first chapter and it was awful.
>>
File: gormenghast.jpg (755KB, 1600x902px) Image search: [Google]
gormenghast.jpg
755KB, 1600x902px
Name one (1) better fantasy book series

you can't
>>
>>9210385
resoundingly "meh" and unfinished as well
>>
>>9203005
Is Michael Chrichton /lit/ approved?

Are his books /sffg/ approved?
>>
>>9205183
>can unfold protons into multidimensional supercomputers powered by infinite energy
>can manipulate the strong force to create unbreakable space probe that runs on bullshittium
>can do all kinds of ludicrous shit that makes humanity's loss inevitable
>still can't figure out a way for their shitty planet to avoid falling into one of their suns
Are the Trisolarans the dumbest ayyliums in all of sci-fi?
>>
>>9210366
I'm having a hard time trusting newly translated works. It seems like a lot of these books are getting hype just because they're "exotic."
>>
>>9210385
literally who
>>
File: 1436723727989.gif (360KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1436723727989.gif
360KB, 500x375px
>>9202520
I know Wolfe didn't choose to write Urth, but damnit he wrote one hell of a novel-length Epilogue. It has some of the most beautiful passages in the entire series.

>“How is it you speak? What sound is there here?” “You must listen to my voice,” she told me, “and not to my words. What do you hear?” I did as she had instructed me, and heard the silken sliding of the sheet, the whisper of our bodies, the breaking of the little waves, and the beating of my own heart. A hundred questions I had been ready to ask, and it had seemed to me that each of the hundred might bring the New Sun. Her lips brushed mine, and every question vanished, banished from my consciousness as if it had never been. Her hands, her lips, her eyes, the breasts I pressed—all wondrous; but there was more, perhaps the perfume of her hair. I felt that I breathed an endless night … . Lying upon my back, I entered Yesod. Or say, rather, Yesod closed about me. It was only then that I knew I had never been there. Stars in their billions spurted from me, fountains of suns, so that for an instant I felt I knew how universes are born. All folly. Reality displaced it, the kindling of the torch that whips shadows to their corners, and with them all the winged fays of fancy. There was something born between Yesod and Briah when I met with Apheta upon that divan in that circling room, something tiny yet immense that burned like a coal conveyed to the tongue by tongs.

>mfw
>>
>>9210385
Zimiamvia
>>
>>9208842
The thousands names series.
>>
File: Not Approved.jpg (491KB, 1600x1137px) Image search: [Google]
Not Approved.jpg
491KB, 1600x1137px
>>9208974
I hope yall asses will start listening to me.
>>
>>9210104
>"Severian raped Phoebe"
Are you mixing catch 22 with botns?
>>
File: Gormenghast Park.jpg (257KB, 1080x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Gormenghast Park.jpg
257KB, 1080x1599px
>>9210385
>>
>>9210767
it's called a joke you donut
>>
I feel like every 2010s fantasy is just cashing in on GRRM never publishing his next book

It's not even like GRRM is a great writer, but even he puts every modern fantasy writer to shame
>>
>>9210767
Damn it kid, you're blowing my cover here. It's all a little test I set up, see, to separate the memelords with the folders full of Pepe recolors from the true Wolfe scholars like you and me, guys who manually crushed our unwanted boners after Severian diddled that Gorean peasant girl on the floating island, tuned out our idiot roommates waving their copies of IJ about like so many howler monkeys, and powered through the mental fog to realize that yes, Baldanders is Pontius Pilate. Now I gotta start all over with some even wilier shit like "Crash! Father Inire made pancakes!" to weed all these plebs out.
>>
>>9211049
:3
>>
>>9210385
oh does it get good in the end
>>
>>9210784
It's a shitpost you snocone.
>>
>the neuromancer meme
>>
Man, I can't even give a shit about writing anymore. It's too hard and I like creating stories and fantasizing about being famous for it more than I do actually writing them and getting shit on for it

>>9210962
that's just epic fantasy, for which /sffg/ is a tasteless echo chamber. real fantasy is out there, you just have to read any of the dozens of other subgenres. I recommend magical realism and mythic fantasy, which are generally of much higher quality though rare
>>
>>9210705
Urth was my favorite entry in the series tbqh.

>also mfw
>>
>>9211217
>fantasizing about being famous for it

That's a fucking dangerous trap, my dude.

You need to castrate yourself of that habit before it ruins you, and it will.
>>
i want a new thread but i am not sufficiently motivated to make one myself
>>
>>9210385
I always imagined the castle looking smaller and gloomier. Too much sunlight.
>>
How do I write a dragon's dialogue? How would they talk? What sort of speech structure would they use?
>>
>>9212075
Go to the writing thread retard.
Or go actually read books with them and find out yourself, stop asking to be spoonfed because you're a failure as a writer and can't do anything yourself.
>>
>>9212075
just let me phone up my local dragon expert oh wait they aren't real, dragons are fictional animals and you have to make that shit up yourself
>>
>>9212075
20s Chicago gangster slang.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>9212630
>>9212630
>>9212630
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.