[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ Leaderboards: Shmup Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: dodonpachi.jpg (235KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
dodonpachi.jpg
235KB, 1008x756px
I'm just a regular shlub who likes to play spaceship shootin' games in my spare time. How does your personal best compare to mine?

First up: Dodonpachi
Score: 6,699,550

This is the Saturn version, arcade mode, no adjustments to difficulty or continues or anything
>>
File: border down.jpg (341KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
border down.jpg
341KB, 1008x756px
Next up we've got Border Down. Don't know why I went for the lazy "A_ _" initials for my personal best, but there you go.

Score: 21,886,767

This is on a Dreamcast, arcade mode, standard everything as far as options/variables go.

As an aside, the initial screen music is comfy af: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_IJ3gIVZHw
>>
File: tf4.jpg (269KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
tf4.jpg
269KB, 1008x756px
Doing Thunder Force 4 next. The Genesis cart doesn't actually save high scores when you power down the system, so this screenshot is from the Saturn version. Even then this might not be my absolute best since my Saturn lacked a battery for a good portion of the time I was playing the game heavily, but at least the one time I did play it after I got the battery it was an All Clear so its probably close to my best.

Since its the Saturn version, its also a little harder because there's no slowdown. Again, all stock as far as options go - just powered on the game and pressed start.

Score: 1,402,760

This is another one with really chill initial entering music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZ9EhSA6xk
>>
File: salamander.jpg (222KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
salamander.jpg
222KB, 1008x756px
Last up for now is Salamander.

I've beaten the NES version of Life Force a few times, but I dont have my NES hooked up and I assume it probably doesn't save high scores anyway, so here is the Saturn port of Salamander. Haven't beaten this bastard yet, but its not for lack of trying. In my high score run, I got to the last hori level.

Standard settings - 1 credit, 3 lives, whatever the stock difficulty is.

Score: 537,900

I might try to dredge up my other Gradius high scores, they aren't anything to brag about but I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything.
>>
>>4024392
>inb4 git gud

None of these fags play games, OP.
>>
>>4024392
>ohaiguise check out my blog
no
>>
>>4024572
>wanting to discuss actual gameplay experience on a retro games board
>bad

Why don't you fuck off to one of the 3 dozen crt jerkoff threads to whine about component vs composite?
>>
Yeah well I played through Gradius on the NES and I'll have you know I only died once.

Ironically enough that actually makes it harder because the game punishes you so hard for it.
>>
>>4024585
>blog = discuss
lel
>>
>>4024786
I was kinda hoping you'd get off your ass and post some high scores if you had any you wanted to show off
>>
>>4024889
Believe it or not some people don't feel the need to show of by blogging on a gook toon image board.
>>
>>4024913
Once again, "some people" can fuck off to the same tired crt and emulation vs hardware threads they always stick with. This thread is for the 2 or 3 of us that actually play games.
>>
>>4024651
B-but muh rank systems!
>>
>>4024572
>highscore thread is blogging
>on a retro gaming board
you're literally the cancer killing /vr/
>>
How abouy you focus in one game instead of shitplaying many, OP.
>>
>>4026496
Faggot can't even get through stage 3 in Dodonpachi, he really should focus more in one game.
>>
>>4024465
I appreciate what you're trying but pretending you're someone else and insulting others isn't the way to get their interest OP.
>>
>>4025034
blogging is blogging anywhere champ
>>
>>4025034
She's not the one trying to stroke her dick over a score in a game he can't even beat yet.
>>
>>4024392
I did something like 9mil on dodonpachi when I was 13, I was playing this game everyday for like 1 year (arcade ver on mame). Not sure if i set the high score with the Red or blue spaceship, I know for sure it was with laser mode tho
>>
File: 99.jpg (39KB, 568x500px) Image search: [Google]
99.jpg
39KB, 568x500px
>>
what are some shmups that are considered must play?
>>
>>4027074
Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun.
>>
>>4027293
>must plays
>>
File: 6b6.gif (2MB, 343x196px) Image search: [Google]
6b6.gif
2MB, 343x196px
>>4027293
>Treasure shmups
>>
>>4027464
>>4027494
You need to go back.

>>>/b/
>>
>>4027501
Say what you want about their action games, the fact is that it is universally agreed upon that Treasure shmups are overrated.
>>
>>4027519
Apparently pointing out Treasure games are grossly overrated constitutes LOW EFFORT according to him. Do you want me to write a wall of text on why these games suck, you faggot mod? Well fine, Radiant Silvergun is poorly balanced, the scoring mechanics suck due to color chaining and by the way they are required in order to level your weapons up which too fucking many for a game like this, seriously you didn't need that many weapons, it just makes using them even more obtuse since if you neglect using them they are underpowered and useless and you risk getting stuck, there are too many armored bosses that you can only damage with the sword and the Saturn mode is too long and grindy.
>>
>>4027501
>redditor's first crosslink
>>
>>4027534
I shit on the colour chaining system BECAUSE YOU'RE FORCED TO DO IT IN ORDER TO SURVIVE
>>
>>4027575
At least you admit, I sure love me long sessions of score milking when I want to play a quick match of an action game.
>>
Sure you're not forced to chain in Ikurrga but the level design seems to be constructed to accommodate that, you really feel like you're missing out if you don't combo and there's a stupid robotic voice going CHAIN CHAIN CHAIN to warn you're playing it wrong.
It's clearly not the intended method of playing.
>>
>>4027603
That's the Saturn mode, ain't it? THAT MODE IS TOO LONG
>>
>>4027534
>>4027293
What's actually good about Radiant Silvergun? I don't want to sound like some contrarian hipster, but I've started playing it recently and I'm having a hard time finding what's supposed to be fun about it. Should I be playing on arcade or saturn mode?
>>
>>4027841
>What's actually good about Radiant Silvergun?
The soundtrack, I guess. Although it doesn't really fit in a shmup.
>>
>>4027518
>>4027559
Listen if you don't leave immediately I will get upset and trust me kiddo you wouldn't like me when I'm royally ticked off.

>>>/tv/
>>
File: IMG_0973.jpg (877KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0973.jpg
877KB, 2016x1512px
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.