[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could the Genesis handle a good port of Donkey Kong Country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

File: Donkey Kong Country.png (145KB, 556x532px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey Kong Country.png
145KB, 556x532px
How close it would look compared to the SNES version?
>>
I think the SNES was capable of lusher colors. Though I could be wrong.
>>
The faster CPU of the Genesis and the lack of any really heavy mode 7 effects would likely let you port the game almost completely intact.

The most obvious thing would be the limited color palette and lack of transparency. It's used quite a lot in DKC and would definitely be noticeable.

In my opinion, the largest downgrade would be the soundtrack. The original was so specifically built to the strengths of the SNES that I'm extremely skeptical about the genny doing it justice.

Vectorman was positioned as Sega's answer to DKC and it's quite impressive, but works more on the strength of its raster effects and fast pace rather than DKC's hugely colorful levels and detailed animation.
>>
If the NES demake can do it with all mechanics intact with just a sound and graphical downgrade then I am sure it can.
>>
>>3920087
As useless as this thread.

Toy story Used pre-rended tech as DKC. MD version has more contents better fluidity and larger display .
Vectorman is another exemple of that and the game turn awesome too.
But color on the snes are amazing. that the core of DKC art direction

So yeah the MD could for sure pull the same level of game graphics but less colorful.

For music it depend if you have a lazy fuck or not.
Zilog/YM couple outlived most others sound hardware on video games. Snes soundtrack converted to Z80/YM.
https://youtu.be/VMZJ6oQayAU?t=4m14s

And don't forget we are talking about the original hardware only cause if we take in mine the Sega/Mega CD or 32x well.

So hypothetically speaking yeah it could pull a good port of original hardware. with flaws like different soundtrack sound or less colorfull graphics. but it blow the snes version away on the 32x or sega CD.
>>
Protip: porting games that dont need to be ported is autism.

If you want to do something useful, create your own game or do a translation
>>
File: dkc2 as a genesis game.png (455KB, 597x1117px) Image search: [Google]
dkc2 as a genesis game.png
455KB, 597x1117px
I made some mockups of Genesis DKC2 once. Out of 4 subpalettes, 1 is used for backgrounds, another for the Kongs and bananas (also used by the ship foreground), and the rest reserved for enemies. They assume that the game will modify the palettes for effects like water.

It could look better (especially the water in the flooded ship) and it would be a lot easier if I had the original assets and could test it on a real system.
>>
File: non-retro example.png (1MB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
non-retro example.png
1MB, 1024x680px
>>3920165

>create your own game or do a translation

"Adaptations" instead of straight ports are almost always disappointing. Even if it's not a terrible game, you're left wishing you could play the original, downgrades and all.
>>
>>3920087
ITS CALLED SONIC 3D BLAST SHEEPLE!
>>
>>3920087
I think it would only have better colours
>>
>>3920197
I didn't mean create a new DKC game.
Meant like a brand new game of his own imagination
>>
>>3920112
I could see maybe Fear Factory sounding really good on Genesis but a lot of the more ambient songs would take a nasty hit, yeah.
>>
>>3920194

Nice mockups, thanks for sharing.

Wouldnt look too bad on a consumer CRT judging by those images.
>>
Wouldn't it be better to port it to the 32x instead of the stock megadrive
>>
>>3920252

Sorry, I thought you meant official ports instead of fan ports.
>>
>>3920087
the 32x sure could've
>>3920627
>>
>>3920627

Porting a 16-bit game to a 32-bit system instead of its 16-bit equivalent?
It'd almost definitely be easier, but it's almost cheating.
>>
>>3920770
they could add some hardware-intensive stuff exlusive to the 32x and call it a remake instead of a port
>>
>>3920775
Then it's not a port, and defeats the purpose of asking the question in the OP.
>>
>>3920781
>>3920770
Why don't you stop been stupid ?
>>
>>3920794
>how would a genesis version look compared to the snes version?
>>BUT IT COULD BE ON THE 32X!

Special.
>>
>>3920801
You are retarded? first because you asked the 101 bait question Nintendo newfags usually ask to imply the snes had better graphics.

You still got your answers based on similar graphics and sounds about the original hardware.
>>3920112
>>3920162
>>3920194

Then when people remind you about Mega CD and 32X
you called them cheating even if the two aren't new console but extensions that depend on the original hardware to work.

All this while talking about an imaginary port that never happen.

Yeah. you are retarded.
>>
>>3920824
If you didn't want to answer the question, why even open the thread?
Don't get mad at everyone else because you can't read.
>>
He clearly just wanted a nintendo circle jerk thread. Back to /v/ nintoddler
>>
>>3920112
>The original was so specifically built to the strengths of the SNES
The original was built despite the SNES' weaknesses. The soundtrack is only using sampled synths and what does the Genesis do!? FM synth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwkZiaz3KiQ
>>
>>3920824
While I do believe that the idea of being a fan boy for 20 year old consoles is ridiculous, the fact remains that the SNES had better hardware all together. That said, what sort of moron STILL limits himself to one console from a generation that past - again - 20 years ago?!

The Sega CD and 32x WERE life support. Those tumorous masses do not and did not remedy the issue that the Sega Genesis was woefully underpowered compared with the SNES. And please, go ahead and link to some horribly obscure game that no one has ever heard of

>B-BUT VIRTUA RACING!!
That shit game had none of the charm of Star Fox (which it was obviously a "look at us, we can do it too!!!" by Sega). And, the included expansion chip more than doubled the price

>B-BUT THE CLOCK SPEED!!
Doesn't matter and doesn't compensate for the lack of colors and lack of in built scaling

>THE GAMES ARE B-BETTER THOUGH!
Do you mean Sonic? Or some other obscure "gem" that no one has ever heard of

Don't get me wrong, I love the genesis. But that doesn't mean that I have to say that it's better than everything else
>>
>>3921256
>(which it was obviously a "look at us, we can do it too!!!" by Sega)

Virtua Racing was released in arcades a year before Star Fox, and the 32x version is still much smoother and faster than Star Fox as well.

>hey guys aren't console wars dumb
>now I'm just going to be an obnoxious Nintendo fanboy here, but console wars are silly, right?
>>
>>3921256
>That shit game had none of the charm of Star Fox
It's an arcade port you dumb shit

>Doesn't matter
Many multiplatform games like Toy Story were gimped on SNES due to its slow CPU. Many games like Road Rash didn't get ports to SNES only because of its slow CPU. Many shmups and action games (e.g. Super Ghouls n Ghosts) have horrendous slowdown due to its slow CPU.

>lack of in built scaling
SNES hardware scaling is very limited. It only works on backgrounds. When it comes to scaling sprites the SNES is SOL because its CPU is so slow.
>>
>>3921282
I know that it's an arcade port you mongoloid, I was talking about the genesis version.
You could buy two games, one with the FX1 and another with the FX2, and it would STILL be cheaper than Virtua Racing

>>3921280
>listing literal facts makes you a fanboy
this is an 18+ site kiddo. If you actually limit what you buy based on a 20 year old console war, than you literally need to kill yourself. I love both the SNES and the Genesis
>>
>>3921256
>That shit game had none of the charm of Star Fox

What's the matter, it didn't have enough edgy furry leads in it for your satisfaction?

I mean you bring up Sonic as the "better Genesis game", so obviously furries are all you care for.
>>
>>3921291
>You could buy two games, one with the FX1 and another with the FX2, and it would STILL be cheaper than Virtua Racing

iirc VR was $100 at a time when your average game was $60-$80. fucking Super Street Fighter 2 retailed at $80.
>>
>>3921293
>calls someone else a furry instead of actually responding
>>>/v/
>>>/b/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>3921256

>a console released almost 3 years later has better hardware

Damn......
>>
>>3920101

You're right. Up to 256 onscreen colors at once, vs only 64 on Genesis.
>>
>>3921291
>>3921256

The worst is nintoddlers are still eating the same shit for 30 years. And so assume others people do the same as them.

If those retards continue to be faithful to this day to the same brand . you already know you are wasting your time.

Like any extremists Each time you give them tangible facts, they will pull opinions out of their asses and fart them as facts. Like this mongoloid >>3921291
>>3921256
comparing a slideshow fest to a smooth 30fps game. lying about double price tag out of nowhere and adding the "charm" in the balance.
Sincerely fuck off and this is coming from a kid who grow up with an Snes and a 64 after that. and didn't play sega consoles until the DC.
>>3921315
>Inb4 4096 glorious colors on DKC and bs scanline trick.
>>
>>3921332
>The worst is nintoddlers are still eating the same shit for 30 years. And so assume others people do the same as them.

Do I really need to bring up all the 3D Sonics? It brings me no joy to twist that knife
>>
>>3921338
Like I said you are assuming people are retarded like your kind and still buy games to follow a brand.
>>
>>3921349

But you do
>>
>>3921315
>Up to 256 onscreen colors at once, vs only 64 on Genesis.
Which is pretty much the only real advantage SNES hardware has. Everything else is worse.
>>
>>3921352
Sonic games failed. cause even the fans didn't buy them.
On the other hand any shit even a lazy reskin of a wii game will still sell.
>>
>>3921357
genny lacks actual transparency effects and every software emulation of mode 7 it's capable of thanks to much stronger processor still pales in comparison compared to snes' hardware accelerated offering
snes has also much more robust color palette to pick those 256 colors from

you can say snes' soundchip makes muffled ass midi sound, but that's much akin to saying sound produced by sega is farts
>>
>>3921380
I think you could mimic transparency effects within certain limits by mid-scanline palette changing. By limits I mean it would need to be basic shapes like a square or a circle or a triangle. It would also need ridiculously tight timing but it might be possible.

Alternatively if you are fine using only a light white or light black transparency, you can use Highlight and Shadow modes, like how Vectorman did.
>>
>>3921380
Transparency is related to color. There's no need to beat that dead horse further.

Genesis can do "Mode 7" albeit at a lower framerate. It'll be better at doing pretend Mode 7 than the SNES would be at sprite scaling.

Sound chip is pretty subjective, yes. But in a quantitative sense, the Genesis has 2 more sound channels.

2 years of progress, Nintendo style.
>>
It doesn't matter what the Genesis had or didn't have hardware wise, what mattered and still matters can be summed up with two words: no games

Besides sonic, name me 5 classic Genesis games that even a hipster normalfag can identify with
>>
>>3921418
Streets of Rage 2
Revenge of Shinobi
Phantasy Star IV
Toejam and Earl
Shining Force 2

Are you saying the biggest problem with the Genesis is that it doesn't appeal to hipster normalfags? Fuck, what a letdown.
>>
>>3921391
you can try to do some scanline shenanigans, but it's rather difficult and in the end you're left with 512 possible colors to choose from, 1536 with shadow/highlight modes
>>3921407
transparency is hardly something that can be just packed together with palette
it opens a world of possibilities when it comes to graphics, not unlike the sprite scaling you're trying to push when it comes to genny - about which i could say "it's related to processing speed, there is no need to beat that dead horse further"
when it comes to sound, snes has 8 pcm channels, while genny has only 6 fm channels - it all boils down to your chosen arbitrary criteria, there is no easy comparison

>2 years of progress, Nintendo style.
your fanboyism is showing
>>
>>3921424
Do you actually think that people outside of retro game circles have ever actually heard of those? Genesisfags are absolutely dilusional
And no, I'm just saying that the reason - why unlike SNES - the Genesis isn't remembered because it has no games worth remembering
>>
>>3921428
The point I brought up sprite scaling was to nullify that so called Mode 7 advantage for SNES.

Genesis has 6 FM channels, 4 PSG channels. Games like Streets of Rage 2 take advantage of all 10 channels at once.
>>
>>3921430
You're saying that Genesis isn't remembered because it doesn't have muh Mario and Zelda. No surprise that Sonic is the only other thing you can think of, likely because it's been on Nintendo consoles.

People that don't have their heads firmly lodged up Miyamoto's ass aren't members of "exclusive retro game circles"
>>
>>3921430
Only reason people have heard of more SNES games is that Nintendo keeps milking the exact same series until the present day, or refers to them somehow.

No normalfag knew about the existence of Earthbound until it was promoted in an N64 game: Smash Bros
>>
>>3921438
>The point I brought up sprite scaling was to nullify that so called Mode 7 advantage for SNES.
the graphical effects snes can do thanks to hardware mode 7 are unparalleled by what sega can do in software in lower framerate
these more specialized capabilities give snes a certain edge above sega - it is a real advantage snes offers above just raw color count
>Genesis has 6 FM channels, 4 PSG channels. Games like Streets of Rage 2 take advantage of all 10 channels at once.
indeed purely in terms of channel number genny wins, but you can also choose to consider that psg channels are much more limited compared to fm ones, which makes judgment more difficult

overall the point i want to make is that both platforms completely obliterate themselves in some fields and there isn't really a clear winner overall
>>
>>3921448
>the graphical effects snes can do thanks to hardware mode 7 are unparalleled by what sega can do in software in lower framerate
Unparalled? But it's literally just smoother scaling/rotation of a single background. That's it. That's literally all it is.

>these more specialized capabilities
These? What other capabilities does it have other than already mentioned color and the related transparency?

The answer is absolutely nothing.
>>
>>3921448

None of the DKC games make any real use of Mode 7, outside of maybe the title screens.

The real stumbling block would be background-based special effects, like snow or falling leaves. The SNES has 3 layers, the Genesis only 2, so on the latter you'd have to sacrifice parallax scrolling. >>3920194 doesn't really show it.
>>
>>3921465
>The SNES has 3 layers, the Genesis only 2, so on the latter you'd have to sacrifice parallax scrolling.
Not true. The layers on Genesis are much more powerful than those on SNES. They support tile independent row scrolling so each layer has the potential for very sophisticated parallax.

Properly configured, 2 Genesis layers can easily match, if not exceed 3 SNES layers in parallax complexity. The only caveat is that the effect may look slightly different.
>>
>>3921418
imajority ofpeople have never heard of earthbound or chronotrigger. Nintendo is unknown to most people
>>
Nintendo is a really obscure brand, if it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't know about them!
>>
Given unlimited time and effort, you can do lovingly-crafted Genesis port of most SNES games that, aside from palette, are great ports, maybe even superior.

But that's not what actually happened. Both platforms had unique games that only came out on one platform, because first party obligations or business reasons. Multiplatform game developers were either on deadlines, were ignorant of the "right" way to do things, didn't give a shit, or all three. The SNES and Genesis are both dead consoles and their library is spoken for, with only hobbyists doing anything serious with them.

Could DKC been done on the Genesis? Maybe. But it doesn't really matter, because such a thing would never have been done. Trying to call one console "better" than the other based only on specs is an intellectually dishonest pursuit. You cannot separate the platforms from their games.
>>
>>3922042
i was Talking to people about games and they didnt even know what the switch is
>>
>>3920194
this looks pretty nice

loved the honey stage, clever use of dithering techniques
>>
>>3921430
>giving a shit about what hipsters like instead of enjoying the games
Bet you're a reseller
>>
>>3920087
No colors
>>
>>3920087
I'm always amused by questions like this. It demonstrates just how jelly segatards are of the SNES library.
>>
File: vomit.jpg (42KB, 441x312px) Image search: [Google]
vomit.jpg
42KB, 441x312px
why is gba so washed out compared to gbc
>>
>>3927536
To compensate for the screen.

The original GBA has a very dark screen.
>>
>>3921256
Here is the fact of the matter with nintendo vs sega form this era

Sega had many great games, some of them have gone down as classics if not greatest games in the genre in the case of phantasy star or shining force, but for the few games sega had, nintendo had several in each genre that were classics or contenders for best of the era, if not best of the genre even to this day.

then if you want to go to n64, you have games that today don't even control as good as mario 64 does, almost every game on the console touched by nintendo is the blueprint for 'this is how you make these games retard' for other companies.

Hell, just about the only thing nintendo did not perfect in the genre that everyone should look at and learn from was fps controls on a console, halo did that, though an honorable mention to nintendo for goldeneye and perfect dark, they proved fps were viable on consoles.
>>
>>3926998

>game not related
>>
>>3927610

Wait, if you put Phantasy Star and Shining force as best in their genres(RPG,SRPG), what other genres does SNES have that were best of the era?
>>
>>3927629
those were sega games, however you want nintendos side, they counter with ff6, mario rpg, and chrono trigger, the game I personally see as one of the finest jrpgs ever made, and earthbound/mother2 which this is just hard to classify, as there is nothing else like it other then other mother games, (yes its a jrpg, but its hard to call a jrpg just because of setting and style)

you have platformers, which nintendo basically made their bread and butter off of. sega had sonic, but personal preference made me never like the style of the games, or how busy the background were in some stages that obscured the play area.

nintendo had contra, sega had a version of it, but I think the nintendo one was the superior one.

for racing games, you had fzero and mario cart, on sega i would argue only for road rash, but that has a special place for me, raving games outside of nintendo's first party in general did not become a thing outside of arcades for me till n64/playstation

then you have the... the fuck is the genera called the shooting games... they weren't bullet hells, cant think of what they are called. area 88/un squadron is hands down my favorite one of these games, others may surpass it, but for me this one is nearly untouchable.

there are likely more im not thing of off the top of my head but for almost any game on sega I can think of as good if not better on nintendo and in higher quantities.

if you just look at it from a history stand point, nintendo wins hands down, but personal taste + child hood really makes you favor sega over nintendo, at least from this era.
>>
>>3927665
>yes its a jrpg, but its hard to call a jrpg just because of setting and style
Not only is it 100% a JRPG, it's absolutely by the numbers too. Nobody gives a shit about it's gameplay. It would be entirely forgotte or worse, shamed for it's gameplay, if it weren't for it's story.

SNES also had Top Gear, though Genesis did get 3 of those aswell, but nobody cares about them. OutRun is pretty important. In general, Genesis had a lot of great arcade ports.
>>
File: cage.png (205KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
cage.png
205KB, 500x333px
To give the conclusion to every Nintendo fanboy-ism thread "Nintendo is the best at everything because that all I know about everything"
>>
>>3927684
I know its a jrpg, but its one of those games that I find it really hard to call it jrpg. I got burnt the fuck out hard on jrpgs after I plowed through something like 70 in half a year a while back, but there are a few I can still enjoy playing, chrono trigger, earthbound, and mario rpg.

of those, earthbound is the one that is easiest to go and play, there is not a single jrpg you can use to describe the way it plays, at least to my knowledge, haven't paid attention to jrpgs for the better part of 10 years.

as for top gear and outrun, its hard to tell you how much I hate that style of racing game, mario kart and f zero are the two that come to mind, i'm not sure if there were other ones on consoles at that time that were like it where the track is there, I can see around it, and i'm not limited to straight down to road with the illusion that i'm turning the car to make turns. road rash at least as I remember it is a bit like that if not like that, but it had more going for it then just straight racing. Here, I cant tell you the type, but I can tell you what you can do, if a racing game wont let you turn around, go the wrong way and possibly go off track, its almost 100% of the time a racing game I hate. not sure if I can discribe it any better then that.
>>
>>3927665
>you have platformers, which nintendo basically made their bread and butter off of. sega had sonic
Oh so you're one of those ignorant idiots who think that the only platformer on Genesis was Sonic.

Why should we take your opinion seriously again?
>>
>>3920197
I still want to play that.
>>
>>3928306
lets make a distinction, if the game has a gun like contra, mega man, or lets say you have a sword/whip as the main weapon, those games are not what I think of when I think platformer.

If you have a ranged attack at all, it's a special not something you have as default, and the normal way to deal with enemies is like any platformer, you jump on them.

the other games are platformers just because what the fuck else are you going to do when all you have are going to do when you only have a 2d area to work with? to me they are action games.

once you do that, you narrow down what snes and sega had for platformers quite a bit, but even then, you have to go out of your way to find bad ones on nintendo not made by a seriously who company, but on sega you have a far harder time even finding mediocre ones, with the few that sega had, just getting forgotten by the glut nintendo had.
>>
>>3920197
just want to point out, the call of duty games on the wii were if I remember right, better then the ones on the main consoles.
>>
>>3928320
>lets say you have a sword/whip as the main weapon, those games are not what I think of when I think platformer.
By this stu[od logic even Aladdin on Genesis isn't a platformer.

Neck yourself and then actually learn something about the Genesis library.
>>
>>3928306
Holy shit calm down.

Using the doll could you please show the court where Nintendo touched you?
>>
File: pc.jpg (18KB, 480x333px) Image search: [Google]
pc.jpg
18KB, 480x333px
>>3928306
We don't that the good thing.
The Nintendo brain-dead think their opinions are fact thanks to their large number.

But really like this morons >>3928320 >>3927665 they just clueless lazy fuck who know nothing else. just flapping their mouth and using Wikipedia when needed.
>>
>>3928290

Earthbound is a pallette swap of Dragon Quest with rolling HP bars and a modern day setting. It's one of the most basic JRPGs on the SNES.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.