[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pmdg/ - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 62

File: overkill.png (31KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
overkill.png
31KB, 256x192px
No kill like overkill edition. Old thread >>26385566

PSMD download: http://pastebin.com/uR5bKJkw

Check the guides at >>>/vg/hbg if you don't know how to install the game. You won't lose any online feature or anything doing so, don't worry. You will be able to do everything that you'd normally be able to and much more.

Blue, Sky, and an emulator (now comes with rom editor so you can have custom starters): https://mega.nz/#!TUEBhRQY!mfpcugVQp_aVbNVNDoJjElo3c__57V0s6O45ftnMSHQ

/vp/'s Mystery Dungeon guides: http://pastebin.com/Dbq61R5u

PSMD Wondermail codes: http://www.cpokemon.com/2015/11/24/todas-las-contrasenas-wonder-mail-

Super Mystery Dungeon FAQ: http://pastebin.com/aY45shVA

Super Mystery Dungeon Treasure List + Locations: http://pastebin.com/1xsZmqgJ

REMINDER: If you need a rescue, post your region. Due to a few things that make no sense, rescues are region locked. It's shitty, but be sure to mention if you're European or American. If you use the .cia in this post, your region should be listed as American.
>>
i cant believe palkia fucked anorith out of space itself
>>
It's a double negative, Anorith actually got healed.
>>
>>26445350
no heal like overheal
>>
So i heard SMD is actually good, like time/darkness good. Is that actually true? The link to the rom gets removed so i can't look for myself
>>
>>26445528
>http://pastebin.com/uR5bKJkw
Are all of them removed? I'm too lazy to check myself, sorry.
Anyway you can download it from Nintendo's servers now.
I think it's good, but your opinion is yours so I can't tell for you.
>>
>>26445528
It's very well worth playing. Story-wise, it's either on the same terms as Sky or simply not as good. Gameplay-wise, it's really fun especially with the added features and various revamps to the combat.
>>
Everything you need to know about PSMD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9_sopnjMY
>>
>>26446240
Yes that video is epic
>>
>>26444960
what kind of damage fuckery is this
>>
>>26447302
well you did ignore me before though
>>
>>26445528
I dont know, I didnt really like it but i think thats just me being a gay babby.
>>
Is anybody up for saving me from magma chamber floor 22? Otherwise I'll just try some other time. American PSMD (I'm european, but I haven't bothered reinstalling it since the EU version came out)
>>
>>26447758
Hey, there are people who still think Rescue Team is the best. Every game's got something for everyone, and Super probably just didn't suit your needs.
>>
>>26448328
every game's got something for someone*
>>
File: 1458326181962.png (90KB, 301x206px) Image search: [Google]
1458326181962.png
90KB, 301x206px
>>26448328
>There are people who think Gates is the best
>>
>>26448372
They probably like it for the plot or music, which were good. I haven't sen anybody being happy with gameplay and content. Though I have to say they actually tried to add some interesting features and some interesting items, and I hope both return in the future games.
>>
>>26448384
>tfw lookalikes may never come back
>>
>>26448328
I believe this, anon.
SMD > RT > Explorers > GtI
Come at me.
>>
File: image.png (53KB, 189x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
53KB, 189x200px
>three Pokemon only in a team
>no doubles of a species due to the new recruit system giving cameo characters instead of generic dungeon recruits
Well fuck, there goes half of my team ideas.
>>
I'm about to start a new game in Sky, but I'm bilingual and can't decide which language to play it in.
I remember playing the French localisation years ago and really enjoying the writing.
Do /vp/reons have any opinions about the English version?
>>
>>26449219
The english translation actually has some pointlessly unnoticeable small dialogues differences and I have no idea what they're affected by. Stuff like saying "yep" instead of "yeah" or something like that.

Anyway, I'd suggest you to play it in English just because you already played it in French. This way you play both of them.
>>
>>26449286
thanks! I'm finally going to play as a Skitty, like I was planning to back in '06!
>>
>>26449425
>Skitty
THE WEAK
SHOULD FEAR
THE STRONG
>>
File: skitty.png (431KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
skitty.png
431KB, 600x600px
>>26449425
Skitty a qt and actually pretty good
I'd be interested to hear if there are any noteworthy differences between the localisations.
>>
>>26449425
>>26449838
>>26449929
Is Skitty still top tier in Explorers like in Rescue Team? I remember Attract being really overpowered in RT and multi-hit moves being the best in both games, but that's about it. Don't enemy genders change depending on what floor you're on now?
>>
>>26450693
Skitty is nowhere near as broken as in RT, where an enemy one was the deadliest thing in the game, but it's still good.

Blizzard TM's are both actually possible to get and actually hit the entire room now, and it's the only starter that gets STAB off of it due to Normalize.
>>
Is Machop any good as a starter in Rescue Team?
>>
File: tidus.jpg (111KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tidus.jpg
111KB, 1280x1024px
>>26451187
>>
>>26451277
Guess I'll stick to Treecko
>>
Do I need Fast Friend in order to recruit Kecleon in Explorers of Sky, or does it just make things a bit easier? All the Pokemon I have that could get that ability are kinda shitty right now so it'd be a huge pain to train them to level 90+ and raise their IQ.
>recruiting Kecleon became really easy in SMD
>he's also shitty now
>>
>>26452532
You NEED Fast Friend. You cannot get it without Fast Friend, the recruit rate is so low you need every bonus possible to have a chance
>>
File: 1457239491880.png (667KB, 1000x2817px) Image search: [Google]
1457239491880.png
667KB, 1000x2817px
>>
>Aegis Cave puzzle
>don't have a surefire shot at recruiting the Regis
>every Unown form counts as a different Pokemon species
Fuck whoever designed this place
>>
Is Chikorita a good starter in Super? It was who I had gotten in Sky and I did fairly well with one, so I figured I'd double dip. Just curious.
>>
>>26451187
>>26451749
For an actual answer, no. A lot of bosses, including the last boss, are Flying type, so good luck hitting them with Karate Chop. Your best bet would be Rock moves, and even then, they're iffy. Grass Pokemon at least have the advantage of self healing and status moves, but if you're playing Machop you better be prepared to struggle.

Now that I think about it though, would using Machop be considered PMD1's Expert Mode? Something like a Machop/Grass Type partner would be nothing short of extremely difficult.
>>
>>26455452
Chiko is based due so long as you can grasp the idea of a defensive moveset. Give your partner ranged moves so they can attack behind you and you'll do great.
>>
File: mspaint is still all u need 2.png (27KB, 665x676px) Image search: [Google]
mspaint is still all u need 2.png
27KB, 665x676px
Oh good the threads are back

Last time I came back I saw that people were wondering where I went, but the thread was already dead and this was around the time the Sun and Moon starters were revealed so I didn't see pmdg for a while.

I'm sorry to disappoint but I never finished the two pictures that I teased earlier Although, excluding the background, they're both really close to being finished. But now that finals are over, I'll have more time to play video games and finally start explorers of sky. And finish the pictures. I'd like to just make a series of pictures to try and make up for disappearing, but I shouldn't promise anything like that...
>>
File: jonsnow.jpg (74KB, 355x800px) Image search: [Google]
jonsnow.jpg
74KB, 355x800px
I'm interested in buying the new Mystery Dungeon, but I've never played any before. Is the newest one good? What can I expect from the game.
>>
>>26456714
Super Mystery Dungeon is good.

For your first one, Super's not a terrible place to start. It's just that there are some references to past games that might go over your head since you never played them, but you're not missing too much in that regard anyway. I'm not really sure what else to say with regards to what you should expect. It's cute and fun.
>>
File: 54959314_p0.png (245KB, 520x987px) Image search: [Google]
54959314_p0.png
245KB, 520x987px
>>
>>26456693
Glad to see you're still here. Can't wait to see the final products.

>finally start explorers of sky
Cool! You could even post your progress if you wanted. The Snivy bully from last thread doesn't seem to be posting anymore, so you'd have the spotlight.
>>
>>26456714
Expect shitty tutorials, cringe worthy dialogue, and messages telling you to go to bed.
>>
>>26460319
>The Snivy bully from last thread doesn't seem to be posting anymore
I was just going to ask if he was coming back
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 540x304px
Who are the absolute best mons in each game? I know if you grind gummis and shit enough, then anyone can get good and have 255 of every stat (and 999HP if you're that insane), but in terms of moveset utility and abilities, who performs the best? I know Drifblim's top tier in Explorers, but I'm not sure about the other three games. Was guessing someone like Jigglypuff or Charizard in Rescue Team, because the former has Cute Charm and an okay TM movepool and the latter starts with an Heat Wave but I'm probably dead wrong.
>>
>>26460558
Skitty is the deadliest thing in Rescue Team, especially the Joyous Tower enemy. As a starter, it's the best. As an enemy, it's the deadliest.

In Explorers, Drifblim outclasses every other pokemon. If Arceus was in the game, it wouldn't be as good.

In Super, going for nonstarters, Drifblim still reigns supreme, with Hawlucha not far behind.
>>
>>26460675
>Hawlucha
Really? Why's that? I mean, I understand the inflatable terror that is Drifblim, but why Hawlucha?
>>
>>26460881
The same reason as Drifblim, Unburden.
>>
>>26460558
For Gates, the Litwick line are pretty great since there's a glitch that causes Flash Fire to absorb the Sp. Atk reduction of Overheat.
They also get Minimize, which is nice.

Flareon can also do the glitch, but needs a TM for Overheat and doesn't get Minimize.
>>
File: 1448060844645.jpg (26KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1448060844645.jpg
26KB, 480x640px
I'm about five hours into SMD.

When does it stop being a visual novel?
>>
>>26461092
I don't understand what you mean by the game being a visual novel, but I'm guessing you want to know when the first part is over. It's about five more hours. You'll know when.
>>
>>26461092
Don't worry, Anon. The VN portion will soon be over
And then you'll be playing Persona
>>
>>26461128

>Five more hours

Why is this game so dull and linear? I swear to god, the postgame better be a fucking fantastic adventure in befriending rare Pokemon.
>>
>>26461155
I don't know what your problem with it is honestly. Sorry you're not liking it I guess, don't know what else to say.
>>
>>26461092
"five hours" doesn't tell us where you are just like how the five hours hbg meme doesn't tell us anything
>>
File: 1461493879436.jpg (444KB, 510x773px) Image search: [Google]
1461493879436.jpg
444KB, 510x773px
>>26460377
Well, the PC is considered a kid, it's only normal that the dialog would be child-oriented, which could be cringy for us. Although, I didn't find it annoying, I actually thought it was kind of cute to befriend kids and be a kid yourself. It just made Serene Village a lot comfier for me desu
>>26461155
Calm down Anon, the beginning is supposed to be slice of life-ish. After you leave the village, you can blow as much stuff as you'd like with your level 37 charizard, lvl 54 Alakazam, and your lvl 55 Tyranitar.
>>
>>26461482
Going to school and being treated like a dumb child is still a really big step down from building your own town though. Still enjoyed it well enough since the school kids, teachers and the two dads were all very enjoyable characters.

Making them leave the plot entirely after leaving Serene Village was a huge mistake though
>>
>>26461556
At least you get to see them again and be kind of relevant to the story, although not in the best way. . Especially Nuzleaf
>>
>>26461556
Even as the friendly neighborhood Super shill, I agree that Serene Village should have been the whole game, with the Expedition Society taking interest in the main duo once word of their success reaches them.

>>26461600
Speaking of seeing them again I knew my girl Espurr was gonna be big. I wish she joined the Expedition Society in the end.
>>
>>26461622
How about the society rejects you because you're still too young so you and the school kids form your own one? Just takes advantage of using characters we already grew to know and like instead of awkwardly introducing a new bunch when you're almost half way through. Might end up pushing a Spongebob the Movie message, but I'd be fine with it.
>>
>>26461652
Aw man, I'd love a "We'll make our own Expedition Society! With blackjack! And hookers!" moment. That's even better, like the Expedition Society could have been rivals and the hunt for treasures would have made the two groups cross paths a bunch.
>>
File: 1457988367161.gif (152KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1457988367161.gif
152KB, 267x200px
What's the song that plays in Pledge Hill called?
>>
>>26461780
Illusory Hazy Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcl3rZkOdyQ
>>
>>26460558
Smeargle's a hilarious floor nuke with lock-on and perish song, if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
File: image.gif (47KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
47KB, 150x150px
How do I git gud and beat Zero Isle South? A lot of crazy stuff happens that screws up my run about 50 floors in, like a Fearow critkilling with Pluck. Any tips?
Destiny Tower's gonna be hell
>>
>>26462101
>read my guide
>use drifblim
>use minimize 3+ times per floor, vary as needed depending on how dangerous a spot you think you're in
>remove Constrict for Stockpile later on
>every item has a use so don't panic and look over your items when cornered
>>
>>26448771
Well, you can double up on later evolutions by evolving the pre-evos. One of each pokemon, plus one extra for pokemon with noticeable gender differences are recruitable.
>>
Considering if I should play it or not. I played Rescue Team when I was little but now more and more games started to come out. 4chan anons, is it worth my money?
>>
>>26462366
Are you talking about Super? Yes, it's worth it.
>>
>>26462366
>more and more games
The only ones you actually want to play are Explorers of Sky and Super.
After those you may try Gates to Infinity and Adventure Squad, but they're lacking.
>>
File: 1463369286105.png (87KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1463369286105.png
87KB, 800x600px
>>26448372
>>26448384
Gates is up there for me. I'm a bit biased cause it was my first (I've since played BRT, EoT and SMD), but the story and characters were great. The lack of Pokemon sucked, but I do miss being able to switch over to one of your team members to run separate missions, and it was the last game to let you name Pokemon you recruited.
>>
>>26448532
Nothing to come at you about. I respect that ranking.
>>
>>26462543
Yeah, Gates to Infinity is just lacking on the gameplay part, while still having some good enough bits here and there.

>I do miss being able to switch over to one of your team members to run separate missions
It's kind of different, but Super still does it in a way.
>>
>>26460558
In all of these games, Smeargle and Shedinja are great pokemon, as their weaknesses are irrelevant.
Rescue Team, Latias was pretty solid and small, Skitty has already been commented on.

Explorers, Palkia is great by virtue of its unique IQ group, and Spiritomb was good for the level 1 dungeons on account of its legendary-teir base stats, and fast experiance group. Drifblim unburden spam is also great.

Never played GTI

In Super, Smeargle is even better than usual, with so many broken moves. Mew is great as well on account of Transform being awesome. Giant Pokemon with many 10 space peircing moves, like Kyogre, Palkia, or Lugia are magnificent as well. Unburden spam is less powerful, since looplets and emeras are so much more powerful. Of the starters, 'Zard takes the cake for its movement type and wide movepool, though absorb tanks are good choices too.
>>
>>26463224
>Spiritomb was good for the level 1 dungeons on account of its legendary-teir base stats
The stats are good until you realize level has impact on damage taken/dealt outside of stats, and since Spiritomb takes forever to level up even once, its usefulness quickly drops off.
>>
>>26462016
>lock on and perish song floor nuke

can you use that to kill kecleons fast in rb/tds?
>>
>>26461684
>>26461652
>turns out there's a cave under the Hill With The Tree
>use it as home base
>solve a bunch of shit
>exploration society's like oh fuck they're solving all this shit better than us cause we're fucking incompetant
>>
>>26463313
Well, that was just it. It leveled up pretty quick on top of those stats. It did have a kind of shitty movepool without TM's, though.

To be fair, I might also be remembering it wrong. It has been many years since I last played it.
>>
>>26463497
I recall it needing over 1000 exp to level up once, which is very bad in a dungeon like ZIS. The stats also don't mean much if its movepool is small/has no utility
>>
>>26462794
Kinda, but I liked actually being able to run around as another team member. Being able to pause your main team's mission to go do a supply run as your backup team was really cool, really felt like a team effort was happening like the other members had things going on other than working with you.
>>
File: non-canon_locations_.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
non-canon_locations_.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
>>26444960
>>
File: non-canon_Pokémon_series.jpg (343KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
non-canon_Pokémon_series.jpg
343KB, 1920x1080px
>>26444960
Bossess
>>
>>26463602
>>26463560
They are canon to pmd.
>>
What even happens to the player character and partner from previous games? Almost all the NPCs show up in Super, but the main duo barely even gets mentioned.

It's probably to avoid giving away a "canon" starter but it's still pretty strange.
>>
>>26463560
>>26463602
Seems like we're at a fork in the series. The first two games had tower levels and legendary Pokémon for final bosses. The most recent games had less traditional but still vertical upwards final levels and concepts given a physical form as the final bosses.

It'd be great if the next was completely different on both accounts. A descent to the center of the earth where you fight a shitmon final boss.
>>
>>26463686
I don't know, man. It'd definitely be nice if the past duos got some credit for saving the world all those times. Not even stories about them are being told, no prophecy has been started about fated duos saving the world from disaster.

I just assume they stopped being active so they stopped being worth mentioning. Can't harp on the same event all your life, people have to move on. It'd be different if the characters got more than "thank you" for saving the world, as it is they're just treated like normal teams of normal Pokémon.
>>
>>26463697
i'm pretty sure that's a tower too, but you're right regardless
>>
>>26463697
>concepts given physical form as the final bosses.
Some form of a Legendary aren't the bosses anymore?
>>
>>26463686
>>26463827
They could have had GtI saving the partner/starter (and maybe even paradise) to extdata ("extra data", part of a savegame that's either saved on the sd card or on the console's internal memory, I guess the latter would be better in this situation) so that they could reuse it for Super (and if the extdata doesn't exist then you just wouldn't be able to access that part of the game)
It could have worked
>>
>>26464055
I know it looks like a tower but it's weird to call it one because it's a tree and it doesn't have tower in its name.

>>26464069
Don't worry about it.
>>
>>26464108
I guess so, but I was actually referring to the Great Glacier, the second visit is basically a bunch of tower with the last one being the biggest one
>>
>>26464139
Whoops, lol. You're right, I wasn't even thinking about that.
>>
>>26464108
>Don't worry about it
God damn it. I only just started playing EoS today, years after finishing EoT and now I'm hearing everything after Explorers is some crazy ass shit that piques my curiosity.
>>
>>26463560
>>26463602
fuck off richard
>>
>>26464170
Explorers isn't affected by my admittedly poorly masked spoiler.

And it's mostly just the final bosses of the recent two games.
>>
>>26464199
>>26464170
Didn't mean to downplay it. It's pretty cool what happens, definitely different.

I'm trying to tell you to play the games and see for yourself without me spoiling everything.
>>
File: 53140644_p0.jpg (124KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
53140644_p0.jpg
124KB, 1181x1181px
>>
>Rescue Team main menu music
this is extremely comfy
>>
>>26466356
All of the main menu musics are!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRrjhQDR24o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fs_fcNgDQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWieRFmI914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIKZmIPCZ_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_aql7p7YPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4LVBGaXxEs
>>
>>26466623
Explorers' is my favorite, but Rescue Team's is pure nostalgia and I love it.

Pretty cool that Super's Pelipper Island music sounds like the WiiWare theme, which sounds like the Explorers theme.
>>
>>26446240

This irony in this video is palpable.
>>
>>26466623
I knew I was forgetting something!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBmZOQk2FE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_0qL73XV1c

>>26466719
I think my favourite might be the Gates to Infinity one.
Adventure Squad has Pelipper Island as well, though it doesn't have music, just the sound of waves.
>>
>>26455384
Yeah, I almost dropped the game at Aegis Cave
Top butthurt
>>
File: chaw haw.jpg (136KB, 467x451px) Image search: [Google]
chaw haw.jpg
136KB, 467x451px
>>26467163
Aegis Cave is one of the only bad things i can find about Explorers. The Apple Woods fiasco is the other bit
>>
Are the wiiware Pokemon Mystery Dungeon good?
>>
>>26467274
Apparently they're the weakest in the series, but people say the same about Gates. Personally I'll probably never get to play them, considering they're untranslated. You'd have to have a guide to know what's what and run it on Dolphin to play it
>>
>>26467274
Gameplay-wise yes. Expect Sky in that regard. Everything else? Not really.

>>26467296
A menu, moves and items translation could be done. Though I don't know how to unpack and repack Wiiware games. If I did I would look if I can figure out the text structure, hoping it's as easy as it's in Gates to Infinity. But I doubt it. I also tried once, but couldn't find much info on how to do it, and even then it would still be a long job.

>You'd have to have a guide to know what's what
Not really. I played them a bit and figuring out what is what isn't hard. For menus trial and error is fine, then you just remember their positions. For everything else you can use automatic translators and the websites with the english and japanese names. You may also remember how their written if they're common. I guess it would be hard if you haven't played PMD before, but I doubt anyone would start there,

>run it on Dolphin to play it
Not necessarily if your Wii is modded, which can be done easily.
>>
>>26467372
Mine's modded, but i can't get Bootmii onto it so i dont think i can inject channels into it. Apparently wiis made after a certain time can't use it. There's gotta be another way. least i can play GoD this way, distracted me from playing more Sky
>>
>>26467385
You don't need Bootmii to install them, I don't have it either and I can.
>>
>>26467243
What's wrong with Apple Woods?
>>
>>26467565
Really you could just say Team Skull in general. The fact they never actually fight your team ever and you always just lose in a cutscene to the three is what makes them so shit.
>>
Reminder that Super Mystery Dungeon was Persona + Okami.
>>
>>26467611
no it was mystery dungeon + pokemon.
>>
>>26462543
All things considered, I liked the gameplay in Gates better than the DS games. Since they ditched the IQ and added in-base leveling, it gave me an incentive to use pokemon that weren't the two leads, which helped things feel more varied. The design of the DS games made me tunnel in on only the two leads, so monotony and boredom set in faster.

I heard there was a great and expansive post-story game once you deal with Darkrai in Explorers. That's great and all, but I'm not interested in playing it, so it really well might not be there from my perspective.

The lack of content in Gates was such a terrible shame, but I still enjoyed what was actually there. Gameplay in Super was a big improvement over all three though.

Story was also easily the best in Gates, though that's more to do with Explorers's story getting way too much credit.
>>
>>26467611
>Okami
Explain your logic, because that seems like a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>26467659
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN9QKz4NZt0
>>
>>26467611
So is Dark Matter the partner's persona now?
>>
File: thatsthejoke.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
thatsthejoke.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>26467678
>>
File: 54484484_p0.png (881KB, 1300x910px) Image search: [Google]
54484484_p0.png
881KB, 1300x910px
>>
>die to silver wind spam at Sky Stairway
>stop playing
>>
File: Hold Him TIght.png (880KB, 1000x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Hold Him TIght.png
880KB, 1000x2392px
>>
>>26470241
CUTE
U
T
E
>>
>>26470241
Saying no to that choice makes you inhumane
>>
Explorers = SMD > GTI > Rescue Team.

Is this the commonly agreed on ranking? Personally, I think SMD has smoother mechanics but lacks the plot Explorers had (and fuck the Connection Orb), while Explorers has divine plot and reasonably good mechanics but could be smoother. GTI has godawful mechanics, but the plot is excellent and the music isn't half bad. Rescue Team is just "meh" overall; the plot could be better, the mechanics were made better in Explorers, and there's just no reason to play it over Explorers.
>>
>>26471088
I think I've seen Explorers>Super>RT>GtI the most. My personal ranking is Super>Explorers>RT>didn't play Gates.
>>
File: pmd poll2.png (9KB, 1131x144px) Image search: [Google]
pmd poll2.png
9KB, 1131x144px
>>26471088
>>26471119
Here's a GameFAQs poll on Super's board. Nostalgia aside, I wouldn't disagree that Gates is better than RT despite me not playing the former.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160809-pokemon-super-mystery-dungeon/73754470
>>
>>26471177
We should have our own Poll. With blackjack and hookers!
>>
>>26467659
Dark Matter is the embodiment of evil and hatred, and it takes the form of a sphere with a small glowing core to fight you. Yami, the final boss of Okami, is the lord of darkness and the source of all evil in the world, and takes the form of a spherical mecha to fight you. It's actual body is a tiny sphere with some weird fetus fish in it. Also in Okami, when you defeat enemies the world returns to life, so that's somewhat of an analogue.

>>26470241
Is there more of this?
>>
>>26471088
>Is this the commonly agreed on ranking?
>GtI over anything that isn't AS
>GtI over RT
It isn't. I'm not saying it's wrong, just not commonly agreed. And I don't agree either, though GtI does have its good parts.

I consider RT and Explorers to be on par, not taking the small mechanics improvements in consideration (which would put Explorers just a little over RT anyway).
>>
>>26471185
http://www.strawpoll.me/10309064
I held the blackjack and hookers for the sake of minor seriousness.
>>
>>26460558
Darkrai gets floor hit attacks, is one star size, can go over walls and has the best IQ ability in the game with Time Tripper.
>>
>>26471186
I fucking wish, it is really cute.
**I really liked the Super Partner, I want to hug him and never let go**

>>26471088
Super has the best gameplay
SKY has the story and content execution
While Super's base is better, SKY was better built.
>>
>>26460558
>(and 999HP if you're that insane)

Heh, my Time save had like 600 hours playtime and multiple mons with >700 HP, namely Celebi, Darkrai, Lucario, Dialga, Shedinja and Kecleon before I reset it (which I kinda regret now)

How? Celebi ( groups H and D I think), gets an IQ ability that lets it share eaten berries and seeds with the whole team. Sitrus Berry, Golden Seed, Lvl Up Seeds, Life Seeds, it's absolutely glorious.
>>
>>26471228
>Super has the best gameplay
Minus the Connection Orb, I'd agree. The challenge made you feel like a kid in impossible circumstances, but the items let you win anyway through strategy.
>Sky has the best story and content execution
I'll give you story, but the recruit rates for Sky were abominably low. The one thing I did like from Super about the Connection Orb was that if you completed a mission for a Pokemon, you got that Pokemon. Crawling through postgame dungeons for all eternity is not my idea of fun. If I beat a legend, I want to recruit it then and there - I don't need "just give it tea," but I don't want to be there forever.
>Captcha: Select all oceans
Flashbacks of Bottomless Sea in 3, 2, 1...
>>
Does anyone know a particularly efficient way to farm vitamins in Super? I'm using the freebie gold bars that you get from ranking up alongside an Excavation Looplet (plus I use the Water Looplet trick with the vitamins when I get them) but I'm approaching max rank and not finding an awful lot of bars to make up for the bars I'll lose from that method to buy more vitamins.

At the most basic, are there particular dungeons that are more likely to spawn Gold Bars and Vitamins? Am I missing something really basic here? I will also appreciate locations where Life Seeds and Sitrus Berries are common.

>trying to get my Piplup and Torchic starters to 252 all around because why the hell not
>>
>>26471416
You are using the Water Looplet, aren't you? It cuts down the amount you need to buy by half.
>>
>>26471453
Aye. I'm really surprised that the Water Looplet trick isn't listed in the PSMD FAQ, it's a stupidly useful exploit.
>>
>>26471515
I just say that because I had tons of extra bars by the time I maxed my stats. It seemed like every other box gave a Gold Bar, I guess I was just lucky. Have you been buying anything else with them?

I don't think there's really a good place to farm for Life Seeds and Sitrus Berries, I think Super Apple Forest might be a good place but I've never had good luck there. If you max all your other stats, MAYBE the food items will increase health. I just read that somewhere and never confirmed it.
>>
>>26471392
You know, I have being think about this stuff and I think that we should simply have both recruitment methods.
Also bring back infinite missions, balance the "restriction" dungeons
>>
Idk how super had the best gameplay, they made it nearly impossible to die because they gave you so many reviver seeds, in fact I had more of those than Oran berries. They removed many of the difficult parts of dealing with enemy Pokemon, though in some cases for the better (Drifblim). Hunger wasn't an issue during the story due to the shortness of dungeons and the multiple breaks in between them. The dungeon were shorter, and I have little memory of any specific one, compared to Explorers where I can recall multiple moments. The story was good, lots of good characters though Sky still beats it there.
>>
I can't wait for new Pokémon mystery Dungeon game.
>>
>>26471604
To be fair, I didn't realise I could use the Water Looplet that way until I'd sunk about 150, 200 bars, which probably explains a lot. Plus I have abysmal luck with getting chests for whatever reason.

>>26471392
I actually quite like the connection orb and the new recruit mechanic, but I wish you could get more missions than the set amount you're given. I don't like how I can see the amount of missions I have dwindling and the RNG assigning me missions that I can't just ignore in dungeons that don't pose me a challenge anymore.

The main complaints I personally have with Super is the dodgy difficulty fluctuations and the dungeons being too short. Okay, so a 50 floor dungeon with a legendary that doesn't have a 100% recruit rate at the end is taking the piss but I really liked going through the long dungeons in the 2D games. The Tree of Life being 16 floors with a break in the middle was a fucking disappointment in my opinion, especially when I found the final boss yawningly easy.

Sky is great and the Explorers games will always have a spot in my dumb sentimental heart (I have a Time Gear tat on my shoulder which I'm intending to incorporate into a PMD sleeve eventually and I still cry at the ending) but I feel the general mechanics were much better in PSMD, though I do kind of miss the species specific items. I also find the post-game of collecting all the 'mons and treasures more rewarding, and gives me something more to aim for than Sky did after the story's done. Which one you prefer really depends on what you want out of your game experience. Personally, I prefer Sky, but Super isn't far behind.
>>
>>26472003
Ah, okay, that does explain it. I only used a handful of vitamins before getting the Water Looplet.
>>
>>26469506
The initial escort quest unlocking Mt. Mistral is some of the most butthurt this game has ever made me
Drifblim is not so cool when an enemy
>>
File: 53865307_p9.png (63KB, 432x344px) Image search: [Google]
53865307_p9.png
63KB, 432x344px
>>
When you guys were playing through the pre-Super games, how did you know to stop taking missions and advance the plot?

When I was playing Explorers, I would grind missions until I ranked up so I could get more storage space (limited storage was a mistake and I'm glad it's never coming back), but never anything beyond that.

Rescue Team is weird. Zapdos almost pushed my shit in and I'm getting kind of worried. I've been actually grinding because the jump in difficulty between the previous boss and Zapdos worried me. Cubone/Pikachu shouldn't have had trouble against that boss.
>>
>>26475448
For Explorers, I jus played through normally, only grinding missions if they had good items like gummis, gold bands, or ??? which has a chance of recruitment. By the time endgame rolled up, my stats were near the 100s because of all the gummi stat boosts. Thought having a limited inventory was to make you more inclined to recycle instead of hoard, but then I remembered Time/Darkness don't have the Cafe.

As for Rescue Team, there's a pretty big difficulty spike at around Silent Chasm. It only gets worse from there. Also
>not recruiting Electrike to cheese Zapdos
>>
>>26475540
I actually didn't have Thunder Meadow, so I wouldn't have been able to recruit Electrike if I wanted to.

I'll soldier on, no point grinding every time I hit a wall.
>>
>>26475448
I don't remember ever stopping to grind or anything. It probably depended on what I wanted to do at the moment though.
>>
File: hey, that's pretty good.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
hey, that's pretty good.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>buy explorers of time years back
>me likey
>lose the copy
>me no likey
>buy explorers of sky
>me likey
>lose that copy too
>see a cheap copy at FUCKING GAMESTOP
>have the number to a guy with a premium account for a discount
>can trade in dragon quest shit for money
>mfw
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 196x204px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 196x204px
>Lairon: Let's talk about ramming into eachother.
LEWD!
>>
File: girl marth.png (1MB, 1484x1066px) Image search: [Google]
girl marth.png
1MB, 1484x1066px
Who did it better?
>>
>>26476561
>Comparing shitty timetraveller to literally waifu material
Grovyle was WAY more interesting. Lucina was one concept repeated ad-nauseum, delivered on a character less interesting than the cardboard she was cut from.
>>
>>26476561
>dumb bitch that tries to kill you even if you're her husband and can't get shit done right, bland and has nothing interesting going for her besides being debatably attractive, brother's a retarded manslut who contributed nothing in not just one but two games and their other future world-saving buddies are useless and don't help a bit, Robin does all the work while all of them stay useless
>competent time traveler who almost succeeded in doing almost everything alone, becomes bro tier, gets shit done unlike Lucina and actually has a risk to take where he'd die if he saved the world, prevented future Dialga from going back to the past and fucking your shit up, his future partner also contributed unlike Slutnigo and co.
Gee I wonder
>>
>>26476362
Can you stop posting like a niggerfaggot and just fit in please?
>>
>>26477302
>fit in
Great joke
>>
>>26476623
>>26476711

But Lucina is cute CUTE!
>>
File: I am not Celebi.jpg (272KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
I am not Celebi.jpg
272KB, 650x800px
>>26477382
Grovyle is cuter
>>
>>26477502
If time starts to break down again I know who is to blame
>>
>>26477302
I don't likey.
>>
>>26477586
Darkrai?
>>
Hey guys, I can't decide.
Who should I use as a starter in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon?
I used Chikorita in Sky and I had great success then.
However this time around I'm torn between Chespin and Chikorita.
My reasoning is that if I use Chesnaught in Super I can use things like Drain Punch just to keep boosting my health, etc.
>>
>>26478735
>evolving chespin

chespin a cute dont do that
>>
>>26478781
Chesnaught and Meganium are my favorite finale-evolved starters, I just can't decide.
>>
>>26478800
Chespin's better if you just care about moves. If you don't care about that it's just personal preference
>>
>>26478819
I think I'll try Chespin for something new then.
Now I'm torn between Fennekin and Charmander for a partner.
>>
>>26478866
Charmander

Fennekin is A shitty design
>>
>>26444960
I have PSMD in my 3DS but for the love of Arceus I just can't get motivated to play it. This is the first time I've ever not marathon the whole pokemon game the moment I bought it and I don't know why. For Dialga's sake, I got through Gates of Infinity but PSMD is just so boring. What the heck is it with this getting into a school shit. Just let me work on my own already. This is why Red/Blue MD is still the best for me.
>>
>>26478735
>>26478866
Are you the guy from yesterday on /hbg/?
>>
>>26479904
The school part is cute though
>>
>>26480427
Other Anon here, i just bought the game and despise everything i saw so far. Why does everyone treat me like a retard?
>>
>>26480630
>everyone
>>
>>26479904
Keep playing, it gets better. And then everything's thrown out for a poor copy of Explorers but with DARKNESS as the story continues to hold you back from exploring the world. Expect to have unlimited free rein with your partner after the postgame story.

>>26480630
You're treated like a retard because you look like a babby starter who should be in school, according to Serene Village's standards.
>>
>>26463697
>It'd be great if the next was completely different on both accounts. A descent to the center of the earth where you fight a shitmon final boss.

I've actually been writing out a story like that where the villain and final boss is an old human-turned pokemon partner of yours who saved the world alongside you before the main game and seeks to destroy the world because they don't want to be a pokemon and want to defy their fate Only issue is what pokemon the villain should be.
>>
>>26480861
This is actually insulting. I'll refund this waste of time then, thanks for the heads up.
>>
File: 1448950925179-1.png (354KB, 642x721px) Image search: [Google]
1448950925179-1.png
354KB, 642x721px
>>26478866
>>
>>26481287
lol
>>
>>26481269
Maybe it could be something comedic like Caterpie, make it really feel like they got a raw deal.

Or Zoroark so that they could put on the illusion of a human, but it's only temporary and they're still a Pokémon beneath it all.
>>
>>26481269
I'd personally say one of the starters from the old games that didn't return in the later ones, like Skitty, Cubone, Axew or Vulpix. Heck, you could even make them a Phanpy, which is still the oddest choice I've seen for a PMD starter. Fits the saved the world before and human theme pretty well imo without veering into overkill, keeping the villain as a peer. A fight between two equals is more interesting than one with one far stronger than the other. Either way, good luck!
>>
I almost wish Xerneas was the main villain, just for the novelty of calling its final form Final Xerneas. Then we'd REALLY be Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>26444960
Just got a used copy of EoS. Should I delete the save?
>>
>>26484524
Yes. It's the only way to start a new game.
>>
>>26484524
Not yet, tell us about its previous owner first.
>>
>>26484524
What's on it, i want to know. What was their team, how far were they, did they get anywhere in it?
>>
>>26484552
It was a girl or a guy into pink and female onky.
>>26484556
She got all the way up to the point where Manaphy was crying for Blue Gummis at the guild. Had some of those exclusive items from the swap shop, and hadn't hunted for legendaries. She recruited a few pokes, though. All episodes unlocked, but some were unfinished.
>>
File: 20160526_144301.png (1MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20160526_144301.png
1MB, 720x1280px
>>26484592
A pic of what we she had to work with too.
>>
>>26484645
>not nicknaming their partner

Disgraceful.
>>
>nicknaming
>ever
Eat shit.
>>
>>26484677
I never nickname my partner, Gates being the exception. It just feels weird feeling like I'm giving them a name they've presumably had their whole life. It's not the same in Gates or the main games where I'm giving them a name right there on the spot.
>>
File: no-fun.png (112KB, 421x446px) Image search: [Google]
no-fun.png
112KB, 421x446px
>>26484699
>>
File: 1461663845942.png (24KB, 313x193px) Image search: [Google]
1461663845942.png
24KB, 313x193px
>>26484739
>censors aren't thorough
>'funny' or 'joke' names are derogatory or in bad taste
Nicknaming is a mistake.
>>
>>26484776
>>
What does max IQ look like in Explorers of Sky? I remember one game displayed MAX, while another had a certain number of stars displayed.
Trying to max out to strengthen Return.
>>
>>26484952
The sprite gets a little bigger when you reach max.
Your max IQ mon gets bigger too.
>>
>>26484973
>telling lies
>>
>>26484952
Ten stars, though Return's damage is maxed out from seven stars onward. What do you need fixed 45 damage move for?
>>
>>26485027
It's still 45 even at ten stars? Fuck, thought it was actually gonna be worthwhile if I kept grinding, guess it's just better to leave another move on instead.
>>
I want to fug Chatot.
And then have him fug my boipussi.
>>
File: Get back to work.jpg (54KB, 1080x800px) Image search: [Google]
Get back to work.jpg
54KB, 1080x800px
>>26485048
>>
>>26485042
Yeah, it's kind of useless. At least Frustration's good for level 1 dungeons.
Though if you hack your IQ over the limit it turns into an OHKO move, so you weren't all that wrong about it getting better.
>>
File: 1463363603302.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1463363603302.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>26485093
>>
>>26485093
>talk to him in the postgame
>pretty much says "thanks for your jewgold"
Even after saving the main characters in Brine Cave, he's still pretty unlikeable.
>>
>>26485048
Wigglytuff already has dibs on Chatot's boipussy, anon
>>
>found Attract TM in Lapis Cave
Roll credits?
>>
File: you need money.png (110KB, 479x474px) Image search: [Google]
you need money.png
110KB, 479x474px
>>26485217
>use the star cave method for money

suck on that, chatot
>>
>>26485301
Still not Skitty tier, since you're missing out on multihit moves. God forbid your partner's Treecko (or any other grass type) when facing Articuno, since he can still oneshot him with Powder Snow after Attract wears off.
>>
File: 1463458081027.gif (479KB, 490x315px) Image search: [Google]
1463458081027.gif
479KB, 490x315px
>>26485280
Just make it a threesome with Perfect Apples on the line and we good.
>>
>>26485323
>playing as Cubone
>2x weakness to Ice
Gonna be fun!
>>
File: 4f32db4f33e72ab4dbd6aa0ccd84a36d.png (776KB, 1024x1300px) Image search: [Google]
4f32db4f33e72ab4dbd6aa0ccd84a36d.png
776KB, 1024x1300px
>>26485093
Chatot wanted a good dicking and just couldn't bring himself to say it.
>>
>>26485406
delete this
>>
>>26485413
I wonder who could be behind this post.
>>
>>26485381
Nothing a Flamethrower TM and abusing Bonemerang/Bone Rush can't fix, gotta love all those STAB multihits and ranged moves Cubone gets!

>Cubone best RT starter
>>
>>26485510
>THis artstyle
Ah yes. When Scott Pilgrim got so big everyone starting mimicking Lee's artstyle
>>
>>26485510
All right, I'll keep a lookout for Flamethrower. I'm only level 17 right now so I don't have access to Bonemerang unfortunately.
>>
>still need to go back and fill out the Connection Orb in SMD
>remember how much of a grind it was turning into
help
PMD is the last series I would want to burn myself out on
>>
>>26484847
Why would anyone like people doing things they don't like?
>>
>>26485765
Maybe try fitting some legendary battles in between the missions? Focus on the treasure dungeons first?
>>
>Moltres' Fire Spin
Aaaaaaand I'm gonna take a break from that.
>>
>>26485672
Better than the time everything was Adventure Time style desu
>>
>>26485765
Fight all the legendaries you can. That's what I did before setting the game down
It's a shame you don't fight a lot of legendaries in this
>>
>>26485849
Ain't it the truth. at least Lee's style had a, well, style
The whole AT style is nothing but sticks on boxes. Basically modified stickmen
>>
>>26485694
I usually end up finding one around Lv25-Lv30, so if wonder mail generator scumming doesn't fill you with hate it might be worth doing that to get the TM if you're not at the running portion yet. Fuck Articuno, seriously.
>>
>>26485985
I just beat Moltres, so I guess I'm SOL either way, huh?

I'm sure the power of resetting will save me.
>>
>>26486048
It is possible to win against Articuno without Flamethrower as a Cubone at Lv17, but you're gonna need a buttload of Reviver Seeds and Sleep Seeds and hope they don't spam Powder Snow. If you pick up a Brick Break TM, use it as it will do more damage than Headbutt. It may be worth going through the Forest portion multiple times before attempting the Grotto as well.

FUCK Articuno. It's easily the hardest boss in the game in my opinion, even if you're a Fire type. It's kicked my ass so many times over the past decade; I've never once beaten it first try.
>>
>>26486238
Went through the Forest a few times like you suggested, got a surplus of items and leveled up to 19.

>HP is 67
>Powder Snow did 103
wew

But it only got one in! Only one Reviver Seed used, but a couple Oran Berries for Pikachu. Combination of flinching and paralysis did the job. Maybe a little Attract mixed in somewhere. Rescue Team is making me feel weaker than Super did when I was being super conservative with items.
>>
File: giphy.gif (569KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
569KB, 500x360px
>>26487379
Good job, mate! Mt Freeze should be pretty easy after that.

Wait, if you're Cubone/Pikachu, are you >>26475448? I was trying to type out Cubone advice out for that earlier but it wouldn't post. :/

I'd guess my advice for you now is not to bother with Flamethrower so much as Ice Beam, as Ground/Ice will get you neutral on everything. Wide Slash is also an excellent move for Monster Houses that doesn't have the risk involved with Earthquake. Can't give you much for Pikachu since I've never used one in PMD.
>>
I'm on the sheer cliff dungeon in SMD. How do I stop getting two-shotted?
>>
>>26487649
Thanks! Yeah, that's me. And thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. Ice Beam and Wide Slash sound like a plan.
>>
Finally got all the Unown types. Do I need to get any of the other mons different forms (like Shellos and ones with different genders) for the game to consider them all recruited, or no?
>>
>>26487743
I remember Sheer Mountain Range being a common difficulty spike for people. I think the best course of action if you can't fight is to just run. Use your wands/seeds to get out of fights you don't think you can win.
>>
>>26487743
Gonna need more detail than that. Who are you playing as? Generally speaking, using wands like they're made of water (especially Petrify and Stayaway Wands) and abusing long range moves are the way to go in PSMD to avoid getting damaged.

Really though, getting two-shotted is the name of the game in PSMD.

>>26487757
No problem! All I have to say is that you won't be able to get Wide Slash until the post-game unless you wonder mail it in.

??-9 SKX? ?865
7P?8 6476 K??W

will give you a mission with Wide Slash as a reward, since you'd have to get to 50F in a water dungeon otherwise and whilst it's fun when you get to it, jesus is it time-consuming for just one TM.
>>
Why aren't PMD fanfics that use mission codes as a part of the story a thing?
>>
>>26487863
I'm a Cyndaquil and my partner is an Oshawott.
>>
>>26489251
Because they're all from the point of a set main character and partner duo, and would need a save file with the same choices.
>>
>>26489336
Yeah, that duo is pretty big on close range moves and you're really in need of some long range ones. I think your best bet at surviving if you're really struggling is to either a) use the Pelliper island to generate some Reviver seeds and more wands b) set tactics for your partner to get away from here to keep them healthy and to avoid fights.

Once you get to Lively Town your life should get a little easier: there's a shop that will let you trade gold bars for TMs and they have both Flamethrower and Ice Beam. You can also buy vitamins to boost your stats there, but I would wait until you get the Water Looplet to buy those and save the bars for some PP drinks to boost the PP of Flamethrower and Ice Beam for now, as they start with 10PP each (I believe). A Speed Looplet will make your long range moves hit more often and make your opponents more likely to miss you.
>>
>>26460675
Why skitty? Status healing, sing and stab double slap?
>>
>>26490138
For the dungeon variant, I'll set the scene for you

>you're recruiting pokemon in Joyous Tower
>you're about level 13 or so at floor 25 or so
>you find a Skitty
>think it'll be easy to recruit
>Skitty is at level TWENTY-TWO on a floor with pokemon half its level
>level has a pretty sizeable effect on damage dealt
>Skitty can 1shot you with doubleslap, and 1shot you instantly again in the same turn
>attacking skitty means Cute Charm can activate
>it can use sing
>you can't outlevel skitty

Kecleon and Mewtwo pale in comparison because you prepare for those. As a starter, Skitty has a chance to just straight up immobilize the enemy for upwards of 5 turns due to cute charm. It gets Doubleslap which is brokenly good, and sing. Simply put, the enemy doesn't stand a chance.
>>
>>26482017
Caterpie wouldn't have much seriousness, and Zoroark would be too obvious though.

>>26482148
That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure how good that'd be since they appear to your partner as their first stage and after that they evolve to further disguise themselves from your partner since they'd recognize them from the first meeting as is . I thought about using Eevee and Sylveon, but then I feel like I'm using obvious fan favorites.
>>
>>26490232
That's amazing. I haven't played the first PMD in a while and I just Blue from a friend. I've been pretty stuck on what to start with so thank yoou~ <3
>>
>>26463697
>A descent to the center of the earth where you fight a shitmon final boss.
Sounds like Magma Cavern
>>
>>26490232
Oh also do you have any tips for what partner works the best with Skitty?
>>
>>26491117
That was the Darkrai dungeon, right? That's what I had in mind.
>>
>>26491127
No, Groudon in red/blue.

Darkrai is Dark Crater iirc

That is actually the hardest dungeon I've ever gotten to in a PMD. Never actually completed it either. Having a Charmander and a Treecko with an underleveled Cresselia as a guest member is pure hell. My best move to tackle the deep part was literally Lava Plume.
>>
File: 1463733671682.png (4MB, 2016x1608px) Image search: [Google]
1463733671682.png
4MB, 2016x1608px
Haven't played any of the Explorers games. Is Sky the Explorer's equivalent to Platinum?
>>
>>26491190
I'd say so, but I've never actually heard anyone else's opinion on it.
>>
>>26491190
Yes
>>
>>26490921
Hmm, I'd personally say a Slyveon is a bad choice due to the evolutionary requirements, needing to be extremely and genuinely affectionate towards someone to pull it off the evo. From what you've put so far your villain seems pretty detached and bitter, so I can't see them being able to actually get to evolve into a Slyveon, Espeon or Umbreon. Maybe Glaceon to show how cold hearted they are now? Jolteon to show how prickly they are?

Also, if you want an Eevee, I STRONGLY recommend they are female to fit the human starter theme - you can't play as a male Eevee nor have a male Eevee partner in PMD.

Do you have any more stuff for what you have in mind? I'm writing a PMD fic myself and I love discussing them like the huge dork I am. Writing stuff for PMD is pretty challenging to get right, but it's good fun.
>>
>>26491190
Yes. The only thing Time/Darkness have over Sky is that you can play as Meowth and Munchlax.
>>
>>26491190
Short answer; yes.

Long answer; Sky has more dungeons, a wider range of starters, added story, the side-story episodes, more items (especially the species exclusives, whew) extra streamlining features and most importantly doesn't take 50 years to save like T&D did. The only reason to get T&D over Sky is that T&D are much easier to pick up on the cheap if you want to give Explorers a shot.
>>
>>26489387
You could recruit them specifically for it. They could also be used for more simpler stuff like "please save us" missions too.
>>
File: 1460561480304.jpg (43KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
1460561480304.jpg
43KB, 640x636px
>>26491369
I was going to go balls deep and get them all anyways. Thanks anon
>>
>>26462120
(Not that Anon) Can Drifblim beat those Weaviles around floor 40? I think they know Faint Attack.
>>
>>26492313
why would you want to beat Weaviles? just let them over take you Anon, they're perfectly fine
>>
>Gee, Mawhile, how did you know it wasn't the real bunnelby?

>Obvious. Bunnelby would have never said something like that! He would have said 'I saw it', whereas this impostor said 'I WAS ABLE TO MONITOR LIVE SURVEILLANCE FOOTAGE OF IT VIA MY VIEWPORTS>>.'
>>
File: 57091747_p8.png (125KB, 510x431px) Image search: [Google]
57091747_p8.png
125KB, 510x431px
>>
>>26492313
Should be fine, just use Gust on them/use your orbs. I've beaten ZIS about a dozen times with Drifblim
>>
For the time I played Explorers of Time a while back, I only ever tackled the Zero Isles probably less than 5 times. And I spent a fuck ton of time in the post game. Was anyone else ever too scared to ever go there. It was just completely different territory and I saw myself doing nothing bit getting my shit stomped. What was even the payoff of those areas?
>>
>>26494883
Very good items, the best in the game, are found there. North you just powerlevel for, everything else you have to have a different method. I'm a fan of the "just use drifblim" strategy, but you can use others and do it
>>
>>26494950
How many floors were there to complete them? I'm playing Explorers of Sky and I just want to be really fucking psyched for when I finally reach that point. I don't want to be the little bitch I was in the past.
>>
>>26494985
75 for North, enemies hit level 90 near the end
40-45 or so for West/East
99 for South
50 for Center, you can prepare for this one but enemies hit level 99
>>
>>26495006
Well shit that isn't as bad as I thought. Always assumed that they each had 100 floors and some crippling as fuck handicap. This is a lot easier in my mind.
>>
>>26495135
The only 99 floor dungeons are ZIS and Destiny Tower
>>
File: 1462266345921.gif (821B, 46x36px) Image search: [Google]
1462266345921.gif
821B, 46x36px
>>26491205
Probably, but then again I don't think you have to follow the game's mechanics exactly.

Yes actually (still drafting though; lengthy)
>story revolves around the hero trying to find their memories as to why they're a mon
>they have 2 partners, a mon who wants to become a legendary hero and the other wants to explore and research mystery dungeons
>the key to the hero's memories lies within a heart locket that is tied to mysterious locks around the world
>the old partner villain wants these locks open so they can gain control of the earth to destroy the Pokemon World (some ancient mechanism is able to do this, but is sealed with the locks)
>they can't unlock these locks due to having an impure heart
>only a pure hearted human can
>that includes not only the hero, but one of their partners is also a human turned mon
>each time these locks are unlocked, part of the hero's memories come back
>but the ancient mechanism is slowly unlocked each time
>the old partner villain isn't exactly evil, just frustrated with their fate as a mon and the hero no longer on their side
>they feel that destroying the world is defying their fate; basically undoing what they fixed
>they don't care if it means dying, they just don't want to be a mon forever

Kinda an odd idea, but its still a draft
>>
File: imactuallyasciencemajor.jpg (8KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
imactuallyasciencemajor.jpg
8KB, 227x222px
>>26495509
I'd say a heart locket is a pretty naff macguffin personally, even with the pure-hearted thing making it a decent idea. The MC's motivation being to find their memories will be good to start, but I think another motive will have to come in later, perhaps brought in by their broken memories coming back. I really like your premise, though - sounds like a good JRPG and I'm a sucker for those.

General ideas to think about with that draft that you've probably already considered:
>why do the two partners and the MC collaborate? Do they know each other before the story starts or will they meet the MC during the story? Why do your partners have these motivations?
>How does the ancient mech control the world? Does it control the continents? Can it affect natural processes like the cycles of the moon? Is it something that modifies emotions? You probably already know what you want, but you should think about how it does this.
>Is the human partner mon aware of the fact they were originally human, or will it come as a surprise to them?
>How does the villain take out their frustration on others, if at all? Do they take it out on themselves? How do they treat others outwardly? Will they come to reason or die for their ideals?

I find the best way to lay out plans for writing is to ask questions about the plans you have, and how characters will respond to certain scenarios.

Saying that, I tend to have a basic framework for a story myself but highly detailed analyses for characters which allow me to effectively plan out how they will react to a basic scenario, then flesh out the scenario as I write it.

I can't believe I'm doing this but uh, here is what I have so far of my fic, which is a general rehashing of the actual story in PMD that will eventually go pretty tits up. http://archiveofourown.org/works/6475414 I've got a long way to go to being a good writer myself for sure, lets just say that. I do try, though.
>>
>>26479681
>>26481312
I got Turtwig in the quiz instead, so I decided to go with Turtwig/Charmander. So far Turtwig is pretty strong and charming.
>>26480419
Thats not me.
>>
File: 234234234.jpg (143KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
234234234.jpg
143KB, 1024x576px
>>26496270
It's nice to see more writefags popping up and tending to the ancient art of self-indulgent PMD writefaggotry. That kind of shit keeps threads healthy and alive.
>>
>>26456382
To be fair all of the bosses are a JOKE if you link two damaging moves together.
>>
>>26496270
Did somebody say PMD story rehashes?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6421734/1/Pokemon-The-Unknown-Continuum Just finished this bloated mess last month. Just took the idea of the protag reaaaallly not wanting to be in the pokemon world and just running away with it. Thinking of doing a Super rehash soon, but it'll deviate very heavily until it's barely recognizable

I actually chucked more than I should at Cu-BONED
>>
File: Kiss me, Anon.png (69KB, 411x327px) Image search: [Google]
Kiss me, Anon.png
69KB, 411x327px
>>
>>26497648
Speaking of PMD story rehashes, I've got an idea that I'm currently working on when I can find time. Tell me if it's way too edgy:

>Celebi, Grovyle, and the MC were ambushed the first time Celebi tried to send them back in time, and they all died
>Darkrai won and the dark future came to pass
>The world is forever dark, locked in an endless, moonless night
>Nightmares plague any who fall asleep, and if you stay in a "bad place" too long you risk being driven mad and feral
>The central Time Gear was shattered and scattered into the mystery dungeons of the world to consolidate Darkrai's rule forever
>Dusknoir is Darkrai's high priest, and rules in the shattered remnants of a town from the Daylight (not Treasure Town, somewhere else farther away)
ALL HAIL THE LORD OF NIGHTMARES, PRAISED AND FEARED BE HIS NAME. MAY HE CONSUME AND RULE OUR SOULS FOREVER.

>But there is still hope
>Strong Fairy-types can repel Darkrai's aura, and nightmares are stymied by mystery dungeons
>Wigglytuff is one of those strong Fairy-types, and the Guild's defensible position means that ferals can't get in easily
>They are the last bastion of civilization, and what everyone turns to

It is into this world that a human arrives. It is up to him what he does.
>>
>>26497769
I take more of an issue of the fairies than the edginess.

On a serious note, edginess is fine, it's how you use it. While it doesn't seem to fit this particular fic, edginess is often better served when it doesn't start off edgy, so we get a chance to appreciate when things are going well (or at least not badly) for the lead characters, so when things go belly up, it has more of an impact.

Just don't start off with gory death scenes, and you're good to go.
>>
>>26497838
Closest thing we get to "gory death scenes" is a Glameow inflicting a rather serious gash on the partner Eevee's side, and then getting punched so hard in the chest it goes down by the MC Riolu.

Oh, and I got the fairy thing mostly because I wanted to abuse Wigglytuff's power and some stuff with a Sylveon, although that will come later. It would have been any other type, but a Fighting-type defensive aura just doesn't make sense, and a Dark-type anti-Dark aura is just pointless.
>>
I'm about to start Super Mystery Dungeon, is Bulbasaur any good in it?
I just feel like being Bulbasaur for some reason.
>>
>>26495509
Maybe you should resolve why undoing the locks makes the MC recuperate his memories, maybe the ancient mechanism doesn't destroy worlds per se, but can freely manipulate anyone and everyone's memories?
The villain wants to use for deleting everyone's memories putting them in a catatonic state, including itself
The "Pure of heart" thing is hella cliche to be honest
>>
I can't stand Espeon's idle ''animation'' on RT
IT'S LITERALLY NOT LETTING ME ENJOY THE FUCKING GAME
HELP
>>
>>26498512
hey, I dealt with it for a while, though I'm glad they fixed it in Explorers, really, there was no way I could deal with that for the whole game
>>
>>26498512
>he evolved
>he picked eevee
>>
>>26498846
It's my 4th run of RT and wanted to try something new
N-no bully
>>
>>26498512
>>26498750
What is it? I played Marowak in Rescue team.
>>
File: espeon.png (1KB, 97x31px) Image search: [Google]
espeon.png
1KB, 97x31px
>>26498846
>doesn't like eevee
bad opinion desu

>>26498932
Pic related. It's completely static.
>>
>>26498973
it's not that i dont like eevee it's just it has to evolve to have anything really, and i dont like evolving starters
>>
>>26498973
Oh, thats great. So Espeon just stays still but does those little 'bounces' huh?
>>
>>26498973
The one in which Espeon looks at the front looks so fucking odd.
>>
>>26498991
espeon has no idle animation in RT. In Explorers its tail moves around. Also

>Growlithe's idle animation
>>
>>26499200
So it doesn't even do that bounce that inanimate pokemon do? holy shit
>>
>>26499258
Growlithe does a tiny twitch upwards. Espeon is just frozen
>>
Any psyduckbro here?
>>
>>26499359
Cubone Bro here.
I stand in Solidarity with you.
>>
Does anyone have a list of the personality descriptions from when you take the quiz? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>26499548
I got this from the game files themselves, but I guess it isn't in order
http://pastebin.com/T1ePx2GW
>>
File: jirachi and archen.png (114KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
jirachi and archen.png
114KB, 500x500px
>>
>>26497648
Shit, all the puns were supposed to be irredeemably awful, especially the Time/Darkness puns for the main two. I'm still trying to balance Having a 1st person perspective and having a main character who uses wordplay a lot but not have it be cringy, especially with the shiny bull. Not sure how I'm doing, to be perfectly honest.

The shiny bull is a mechanic I'm using to give a reason for the main pair to want to associate at the start as well as give them an opposition that will bring the pair closer together, as shiny pokemon are discriminated against in the world I'm writing up for being 'unnatural' and 'dirtying the gene pool' and shit like that, yet people want them because they're 'unique'.

Having a read through that now, now sure how I feel about the MC so far since he's kind of an unlikable scottish ass and I'm an unlikable welsh ass so me and him clash on a very basic level. Surge is a better person than I am.

>>26497769
I feel strong fairy types being able to outright repel the aura of Darkrai is a little too convenient, and that Dusknoir is unlikely to follow someone other than Dialga. Eevee and Riolu is one of those overused pairs in PMD pic as well and probably isn't a good idea.

>>26498988
In RT yeah, but Adaptability in Sky is killer as is Helping Hand. Eevee isn't the best starter but damned if it doesn't hit hard.
>>
File: gonnadoit.jpg (19KB, 640x365px) Image search: [Google]
gonnadoit.jpg
19KB, 640x365px
>>26501658
Shit, forgot to take my trip off from me being in the draw thread.
>>
>>26501658
As for the shiny mechanic,I had a mildly similar idea to a Super PMD rehash. Since humans are considered world-saving mythical creatures, they could be flat out treated as gods. Either that, or they're seen as doom-bringers, since disasters often coincide with them arriving, kind of like absol, so there'd be a stain of keeping the human thing a secret. The partner could believe that the humans are evil, so while on the surface the two leads get along much better than Floyd and Serge initially, there's a hidden strain in it.

As for the shiny idea, it's an idea that has potential, and I'd like to see where it goes.

Serge was designed to be the more likeable of the two. I think he ended up being a bit vanilla, at least for the first half, but I think he, at the very least, plays a decent straight man to Floyd's crankiness. Guess it could be a nice change having the 'safe' character not be the POV one.

As for Floyd himself, I can see him being super divisive.
>>
>>26501475
That Nichijou reference
>>
>>26501725
Floyd ain't my cup of tea, yeah, but I can see people not liking Thyme either because she's a little eccentric, if ridiculously adaptable. Different stories need different MCs.

I'm intending to run ol' Thyme through the mill to take her from a cheerful and lighthearted snarker to a more cynical and closed off one that will require intervention more than once as she will become recklessly flippant towards herself. Ness is outright autistic (like, not in the insult sense, in the clinical sense) and her arc involves her having to learn to think before she leaps and stop putting her obsessions and self before others. Thyme will spoil Ness at first, especially after seeing how the village kids treat her, but as Thyme begins to develop feelings for Ness she will begin to start to have to acknowledge that Ness isn't perfect and needs help to change.

Man, that dude going on about self-indulgence weren't kidding were they. I'm having fun, though.

To actually keep us on topic, heh, do people here choose their starters based on their ability in game, go with whatever the quiz gives you or use the pokemon you like the most? I played as Piplup in Super since Piplup is my favourite and Fury Attack, Brine, Ice Beam and Bubblebeam served me really well. Brine is a really good move in PMD, especially after you've gotten a Bubblebeam or Ice Beam in. Quarter Wand + Brine is a great way to dispatch 'mons that run to the stairs after you attack them.
>>
>>26501974
I pick whatever Pokémon I like regardless of their abilities, manipulating the quiz in past games to get what I want. I'm glad I like so many of the starters that I'll never have to leave it up to the quiz, and I make it a case to have a different team every game. Pikachu/Squirtle (then Cubone/Pikachu on replay), Riolu/Torchic, and (first Froakie, then Chespin, and finally)Treecko/Fennekin have all served me well.

Don't stop posting about your fanfic, I love reading all this. I wouldn't say it's too far off-topic since it's still PMD.
>>
>>26501974
Doesn't matter if it's self-indulgent if you enjoy it. I enjoyed writing The Unknown Continuum when I felt creative, but not in a musical sense
>>
>>26501974
Always the ones I like most.
I went with Snivy and Charmander in Super. They also make a nice little duo of "starters who are almost dragons".

Some people in this general were saying Snivy was complete shit and made them restart because it was so awful, so I was prepared for the worst. It was actually pretty good. Growth lets you fight more evenly with the overpowered Pokémon in dungeons and Pursuit is a good follow-up to status-inducing wands that hits harder than a STAB SE Vine Whip.

Charmander starts with Flame Burst and kills things. Lots of things. In the end I gave them Sunny Day, which lets me boost more easily and powers up Fire-type moves.

>>26502361
>Don't stop posting about your fanfic
Seconding this, it's interesting.
>>
>>26501725
Other ideas I had for a Super PMD rehash fic

MC is trying to find his older sister who he found out was summoned to the pokemon world about a week before him. Given he has no idea what species she is and that revealing a human identity could be dangerous, it proves difficult. Given there's something summoning quite a few humans, they're not the only ones there.

Partner dreams of being an actor in Lively Town (possibly going by another name) since civilization there is just starting to put together more professional entertainment, rather than an explorer of some kind, since wanting to being an explorer or the equivalent in PMD is about as standard as it gets It also might be a small hint to what he really is

Dark Matter being retooled into a different entity called The Devourer. Doesn't have anything to do with negativity, but still has the whole brainwashing/petrification/voidlands thing. Spreads its control through others trusting one of its 'proxies' or 'puppets' or whatever you want to call them. May not have a physical form. Mostly designed for maximum spoopiness and most of all, paranoia, since it could be anywhere, within anyone. Including the partner, and maybe even the MC for a short while It's only goal is to feed off pokemon by trapping them in its 'stomach' (the void) then going around to different planets, viewing the star system as a giant farm.

A fairly large segment will involve the characters going back in time to actually see what happened in ancient times, where the previous incarnations of the lead characters are met.

Think any of those basic ideas are worth working on?
>>
>>26502793
>>>/vpwt/
>>
>>26503133
nah
>>
File: maiden08.jpg (50KB, 319x240px) Image search: [Google]
maiden08.jpg
50KB, 319x240px
>>26502361
>>26502506
>>26502504
Shucks guys, thank you! I'll write some more stuff since you asked.

>>26502793
The multiple humans thing is a plot point in Gates, so perhaps a combo of both Super and Gates' world would be good as well, with people making rumours about Paradise and that you can be anything you want to be there; your partner could be excited to one day visit and perform there. Paradise has a real up-and-coming city vibe.

With the Devourer thing, it could be spread by Deoxys across the galaxy. Deoxys IS a mutated space virus, after all.

Continuing with my trash fic shite, although what I've written with Thyme in her Cubone form so far makes it seem like she's gotten pretty well adjusted to it pretty quick, she really ain't and only has such control in the early story because she's bipedal with thumbs. She's completely illiterate of footprint runes, has no idea what moves she can perform outside Ice Beam with no idea how to find out her moveset and keeps forgetting her tail exists until someone hits it or grabs it. She'll misjudge distances a lot and underestimate elemental weaknesses against her for a while until she learns the hard way. She'll also try to take her skull of at one point too to the horror of everyone because what Cubone does THAT?

As for the school section in Super, Thyme is going to get herself and Ness expelled pretty damn quick, which allows them to stay at the Expedition society permanently without complaint as they take over the kids' education. Thyme will do poorly due to her illiteracy, so the guild will teach her to read and write first and foremost, but she'll always struggle with reading.

Ness on the other hand is actually pretty book-smart, well versed in legends, geography, geology, ecology and ancient history but has zero interest in subjects like maths since they don't relate to her obsession with exploration and mysteries. She's pretty min-maxed.
>>
>>26501658
>Eevee/Riolu is overused
It's what I played in Sky, and Eevee is necessary for some plot development later remember what I said about the Sylveon? Also, she's a young female, it's a dystopia, and the Sylveon is a evil cuntwaffle who leads a small gang of bandits via his ability to repel nightmares. Riolu has a small advantage over Darkrai yet still loses to Dusknoir for drama, and it opens up the "how do I shot aura sphere" plot thread. It also leaves him as fairly similar to human, letting him walk around as a biped and have hands and be a mammal, yet still leaving him as inarguably different. It also lets me make references to that Braver fic as an in-setting myth, because I loved that fic way too much and was sad when it ended.

>Dusknoir is unlikely to follow someone other than Dialga
Dialga is currently dead by Darkrai's hand. It wasn't even really a fight, it was more like a man putting down a rabid dog. Darkrai then offered Dusknoir the opportunity to serve him as a priest, to regularly give him sacrifices to feed off of and maintain a population to feed off the nightmares from. Given that the other option was "get mindfucked by nightmares and do it anyway," Dusknoir took it happily.

>Strong Fairy-types being able to outright repel the aura of Darkrai
They can't. They can only mitigate it. Where the nightmares would drive someone insane, the Fairy's effects can minimize the effect, so they only wake up screaming and drenched in sweat but still sane! Really, it's the best you get around here. I'm just using it as a plot device to explain why nobody in the Guild has snapped and tried to kill everyone. Besides, it only works because Darkrai's attention isn't on them. If the Dark Void consumes you, you're dead. If you're lucky.
>>
>>26503502
Sylveon should be male only.
>>
>>26503479
Sirrah, you intrigue me. I love the concept, and wish I could write half as well. I was going to write a Super fic at one point too, where Ampharos refused to let you into the Guild (or is overruled by Mawile calling a vote, I'm not entirely sure which). Point is, the MC and partner are forced to go home, dejected...and then the partner realizes that an anonymous someone at the Guild slipped a little note into their bag:
>Well, it appears that you couldn't get into the Society, and I do apologize for that. But it occurs to me that there's no reason a sufficiently well-equipped pair of Pokemon couldn't start up their own Society. Seems like something you two would like, hmm?
>PS: It would appear some gear has gone missing from our inventory. My, my. I wonder how that could have happened?

You can no doubt guess what they find in there - an Expedition Society gadget, fully upgraded, and a number of the other tools they saw at the Guild. The MC and partner decide to establish their own Expedition Society in Serene Village, recruiting the schoolkids and a few adults who have a slight craving for adventure. They make contact with Dedenne, who "oddly" doesn't really care that they more-or-less stole a Gadget and some tools, and is more than willing to coordinate with them. Eventually, the real plot happens, and they keep being dragged around, although most things happen from their outpost in Serene Village. I only stopped writing it because I realized that I hated the way I'd written the MC as an overconfident, snarky cockgargler, and couldn't figure out another way to go that wouldn't clash harshly with the partner. I'll probably rewrite it eventually.

>>26503577
Well...this one in particular is. He's such a dick about it that he scares Aislin so much she doesn't want to evolve for fear of becoming like him.
>>
>>26503479
If I was inserting Gates stuff with the lots of humans being hunted thing, I think it'd make sense that the partner would want to move to GTI's paradise place, since it'd likely be 'the place to be' as you mentioned, and most likely to be the first place to host entertainment events such as primitive theatre productions. Plus, it's more of an exciting move when it's across continents.

I was thinking about Deoxys as well, makes sense that he'd be an unwitting carrier from the last planet the Devourer feasted from. Being able to survive in space, The Devourer would want to keep a deoxys host close to avoid being stranded on a planet.

So I'm assuming footprint runes in your fic is also in mordern writing as well, even though they speak English (or it at least comes across as English. Maybe there's translator shenanigans?)

I always figured that humans turned pokemon would really suck at being a pokemon initially, but would have some skills that would be really odd to the local pokemon. I like the idea of Thyme knowing ice beam seemingly out of nowhere but sucking at more conventional cubone fighting. In the Unknown Continuum, Floyd had to rely on Serge to do the heavy lifting in fights until he got more used to his body.
>>
File: a normal bulbasaur.png (319KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
a normal bulbasaur.png
319KB, 640x480px
>>26494279
>>26497687
>look up artist on pixiv because I used a TotoChes duo too

>not one
>not even two
>3 (THREE) lewd doujins
>every one of them about Mr. Nuzleaf
>>
>>26503502
Fair enough, I see your idea better now you've fleshed out more but don't add a 'its a dystopia all girls are exploited now' angle, seriously. That shit is nasty, overdone and talking as a girl myself kinda gives me the creeps.

I do like the premise and the Slyveon pursuing that particular Eevee is fine though, make it obsessive. Scumbags tend to obsess over the things that get away from them. You seem to have a good premise in mind so I'd say run with it. I really like the Super idea in >>26503650 too, but I agree you'll need to rework your MC if you want to make it work.

Also jeez, I'm not that good, but thank you!

>>26503669
I'm thinking about how the spoken lingo works. I think I'm probably going to go for a 'language is the same, text has changed' scenario as if there is an auto translator it wouldn't make sense that Thyme is illiterate.

Thyme will never learn how to fight with a club, but learns how to use wands instead from a Braxien, which will cause her to get the nickname 'Bone Witch' later on as well as 'fucking coward' and 'come back here' due to her tendency to use Petrify Wands and peg it before spamming Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Earth Power and all that good crap where she's safer. Thyme is a bit of a chicken but a talented ranged fighter. Ness is a natural close range fighter who uses her vines like a pro without Thyme but the pair together is a pretty scary fighting combo.

World building wise, I have the idea that most Pokemon will not level up as they never fight, but evolve over time anyway unless items are involved. Pokemon that do fight evolve faster. However due to plot shenanigans neither Ness nor Thyme will evolve until the entire plot is resolved, which causes a rift with their peers as they mature mentally but are trapped in a child's body, even when said body is approaching level 90 and their friends are all mid-stage at least.
>>
File: Treasure_Town.jpg (1001KB, 2000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
Treasure_Town.jpg
1001KB, 2000x1414px
It's nice to see other writefolks posting their stuff. I finished a long something earlier this year (a long time coming), so it's fun to be on the reading side of the exchange for once.
>>
>>26504162
Eh, it's not a "it's a dystopia all girls are exploited," not really. The scenario is less "dystopia" and more "Mad Max but somehow worse," and what do you expect when Caligula the Sylveon bandit king meets a girl of the same species, especially when said girl is young, injured already so she can't fight back well, and naturally fearful? Honestly, it'd be weirder in this situation if that DIDN'T happen, or at least wasn't threatened.
>>
File: LISA.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
LISA.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>26504360
>"Mad Max but somehow worse"
>>
>>26504360
Rape and implied rape is a very hard topic to handle without it ruining a story, especially in Pokemon fic. If it must be included, you're going to have to handle it very carefully and respectively and think about how such an act will affect your Eevee partner mentally and socially.

Either way, we're at bump limit so it's probably time to start a new thread.
>>
The thread will still last a few hours, we're just on page 4
>>
>>26504654
It's not going to actually happen, there's going to be interference before it does, just because I don't think I could do it justice. Sure, she's going to be traumatized by being kidnapped and threatened, but that's the kind of thing you get over especially when you've seen your parents die for you and you relive the most horrible events of your life every night while you sleep.
>>
>>26504162
I was thinking for the MC (Might call him Basil, for the sole purpose of making a pun of calling himself 'The Fawlty Brush' so that his sister could identify him while everyone else thinks he's talking about a literal faulty brush) that he completely sucks at combat for most of the story, or at least fights in a real human-way. Ergo, being much more of a tool user. Blast wands could be used like makeshift shotguns for example, which he'll rely on for defence until he finally learns to fight like a pokemon

As for general backstories, Basil will be a failed trainer. Really good at strategy, but couldn't raise pokemon to save his life. Melinda was the opposite, so she got Basil to strategize for her and ended up becoming very successful as a result. Parallels into her learning far quicker to living like a pokemon compared to Basil. His sister would likely be the one to teach him how to fight like a pokemon, since she was already good at that in the first place.

As for the partner, The moment he gets taken over by The Devourer is the part where very subtle changes in personality take place, such as being a bit of a yes-man to Basil to make himself more likeable and thus getting Basil to trust him more.

On a side note, I don't think you did this on the three chapters I read, but one thing that takes me out of any pokemon fic is speaking in game mechanics, especially mentioning levels in-story. I went to the other extreme in The Unknown Continuum. Floyd barely knows a thing about training since he never enjoyed watching it let alone doing it himself, so even the attacks are rarely, if ever, mentioned by name.
>>
File: Basil-Brush-Show.jpg (273KB, 734x396px) Image search: [Google]
Basil-Brush-Show.jpg
273KB, 734x396px
>>26504751
If Basil isn't a Vulpix I will never forgive you, boom boom.

I do use levels, but the mechanic I have is that people that explore will be tested regularly on their strength using something akin to the big connection orb in the exploration soc that tests their experience in fighting, compares that data to an archive and assigns them a level between 1 and 100. Most citizens will have a level under 10, so anyone over the level of about 20 is considered pretty strong. Pokemon that enter dungeons as a living are tested about once a week, and the school in Serene Village will have physicals where they are tested after going through school forest.

To not give too much away, Thyme wasn't a trainer as a human, but she was very well acquainted with pokemon so has a good knowledge of most pokemon and their abilities. She knows very little about mythical and legendary pokemon from outside of Sinnoh, though, which is why she didn't recognise Meloetta.
>>
Question for everyone: So long as we're discussing fics, does anyone use a different system of measurement? All people have roughly the same size of foot - give or take a few inches - but Pokemon vary much more widely. Metric just seems arbitrary. What should I use instead?
>>
>>26505040
Use metric. Literally everywhere but the US uses it. It's the simplest and easiest means of measurement. Unless you want to make up your own thing for the sake of being unique to Pokemon.
>>
>>26496270
I'd like to make it an actual hack with PMD's engine, but it'd be a long time until tools come up (and a lot of writing and tweaking still needs to be done)

I did consider those
>1st partner finds MC and kinda doesn't like them very much (as their first encounter lead to a battle w/MC winning). 2nd partner is nicer and offers MC to join them since they have nowhere to go+claim to be a human, which fascinates them. 1st partner wants to become a hero cuz they think they have the skills for it (being a human originally and called to the Pokemon world for a reason) and like being famous. 2nd partner doesn't think they're very strong so they want to make something of themselves with MD research
>mech is an axis-thing that holds the world in balance with smaller separate parts that are connected to certain areas and allows it to be manipulated (closest would be like terraforming its landscape in a way). On its own it holds balance, but one day started to malfunction and MC+old partner fix it by restarting the parts and controlling it manually back into place
>not sure exactly if I wanted them to be aware, but I thought of them being aware and kinda wanting to know why they're in the Pokemon world and what they can do
>villain attacks others in frustration, especially those on their side if they show the smallest hint of doubt or resistance. Forces others to comply with what they want. Willing to die for their ideal since they don't have anything else (MC was all they had until they sealed the mech and themselves). In public, they're friendly and act like an air head to hide their true personality

I like to do the plot first before doing characters, and then work on both together once some things are set, then edit as needed.
Not a bad fic 2bh, like your 1st person perspective
>>
>>26498354
I'm aware that it's really cliche, but I'm not sure what would make it not (sure I could take it out, but it means the villain could just open the locks with ease once they knew the location. I wanna make it a struggle and different from that. Everything's pretty cliche nowadays 2bh its difficult to make something that isn't)

>Reason is because the MC made those locks in the first place to prevent the old partner from getting the mechanism working. They used their memories (and themselves as a lock for the main one that leads to the device) to create the locks with some other mon(s) and made those specifications so it wasn't easy for the villain to get their way.
>MC and old partner saved the world before by using this mechanism to prevent the world from being destroyed (it’s controllable and keeps the world in balance, but it can be used for the opposite if someone desired). MC choose their memories so the partner couldn't influence them in any way and tell the location of the other locks. The other locks also can't be opened until the main lock with the MC is by the same specifications.

Your suggestion is interesting too. Another for my drafts.
>>
File: Basil Fawlty.png (247KB, 630x332px) Image search: [Google]
Basil Fawlty.png
247KB, 630x332px
>>26504947
I'm not sure about that, but he somehow always finds a way to remind the local Hydreigon family that their ancestors were responsible for razing Post Town to the ground many decades ago.

If you can find a way to make it sound like a system of measurement that the pokemon of the world use rather than a strict mechanic, then it could open up some interesting ideas.

Mulling over whether I should write out the school completely. The only thing I think I could really work with it is comedic situations. A potential idea could be that Basil is sent there to do a few exams, only for him to fail spectacularly in physicals/fighting, but do extremely well in something like maths. The partner (I'll call him Murphy. Another slight clue that something goes very wrong with him) would likely be about leaving age, so perhaps 16 years old, whereas Basil would be a few years older.

As for the whole segment in ancient times, I'm wondering what can be done with the Basil's past incarnation and Mew. I'd imagine the ancient human might come from ancient Greece, so if they brought civilization to the savage pokemon at that time, the ancient language might be ancient Greek instead of foot runes. I'd also imagine the bond between ancient Basil and Mew being more of a one-sided thing that might end in tragedy.
>>
>>26505040
Really depends. I use inches and feet for height, miles for long distances distance but metric for pretty everything much else. It's not a deal breaker for making a good fic bad, so I'd go with whatever feels most natural for you.

>>26505240
Basil Fawlty Brush is going to be a very british walking disaster and I can get behind that, also being a very british walking disaster.

I'd assume Basil will probably correct anyone who mistakes him for a child, thus would not end up in school at all.

Hmm, I've already referred to levels in-fic so I've locked myself into that. In my world, most pokemon see levels as a general power scale and for bragging rights, but explorers use the levels to determine what pokemon can go into each dungeon safely. It's been standardised for safety reasons, really, as before the system was invented explorers tended to overestimate themselves and end up ever so slightly dead. I'll probably have that tibit exposition in-fic to make it seem more natural.
>>
>>26505448
But how do they know their levels
>>
>>26505448
It depends on whether he'll even be a first stage pokemon. Actually toying with the idea of him being a cinccino. A very manly cinccino. Could be funny, and would also likely make him not even want to try fighting like one, since, even though in the PMD games they're really good, I can imagine them being on the weaker end compared to other pokemon if they were 'real.' Other possibilities include croagunk and heliolisk. Something I used in The Unknown Continuum was Floyd being too old to be a snivy, and as a result, was ageing faster than he should have been (Serge to a lesser extent), so while Floyd and Serge were 21 and 19 respectively, they were at least in their 40s in snivy/cyndaquil years, and would likely die in their 30s if they got that old. If I do go for the mistaken as a child thing, he'd likely cause a big fuss, but wouldn't be a big a drama queen as Floyd would have been.

I might base the landscape of the water continent around the bayous of Louisiana. In fact, Basil mistakes it for said state initially before he realises he's in a completely different world.

Considering making Murphy a Charmeleon. Only evolved recently, so he'll likely act a bit more youthful for his age, since the body and mind needs some time to adapt to the new body. Other possibilities include Breloom, Marowak and Quiladin. It's all animal farm here - two legs better. Mostly because it's easier to write characters with arms and legs.

Like I said before, if you can find a way to make it feel and fit naturally, it should be fine. It's more a pet peeve than anything for me, so don't put too much stock in my opinions there.
>>
>>26505598
See >>26504947
>>
>>26505643
Cinccino sounds pretty amusing. I personally would make Murphy into a mon that will evolve again, since he's a teenager still in education.
>>
>>26505785
Charmeleon also runs into the same problem of why I made Serge a cyndaquil and not a charmander - that flaming tail makes it impossible to hide, which was a big part of the 'dark future' chapters. I'd say if Murphy's about 16/17, he should be a recently evolved second form in a 3 evo line or a soon to evolve first form in a 2 evo line.

Read most of The Unknown Continuum and making notes of what worked well and what didn't. Will make Basil more likeable than Floyd, Murphy less vanilla than Serge, and make the pacing better. Want it to be better than TUC. I think I'll start writing it once I finished reading my own story through
>>
new thread

>>26506444
>>26506444
>>26506444
>>
New thread up:

>>26506433
>>
>>26506449
Whoops, seemed to have made these simultaneously. Go to this one.
>>
>>26506467
wow way to go you fuck

for real though that's some bad timing, you should probably delete it or something
>>
>deleted threads at same time

come the fuck on
>>
Shit, the other anon deleted their thread too.

Who's remaking it? I feel like we're gonna end up doing this shit twice if we don't make our minds up.
>>
>>26506565
i'm the dumbass that deleted the first thread. Someone else make it.
>>
>>26506582
Okay, I'll do it. Gimmie a minute.
>>
New thread

>>26506649
>>26506649
>>26506649
>>
FUCKS SAKE FORGOT THE TITLE I GIVE UP
>>
File: Chaw-haw.jpg (224KB, 868x825px) Image search: [Google]
Chaw-haw.jpg
224KB, 868x825px
>all this bullshit with new threads
>>
I think I finally got it this time

>>26506691
>>26506691
>>26506691

WHEEZE
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.