[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/evn/ - Low budget edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 754
Thread images: 60

File: fxlXhO.jpg (525KB, 1725x967px) Image search: [Google]
fxlXhO.jpg
525KB, 1725x967px
Discussion about the making or playing of English Language Visual Novels, save for the ones from /ksg/, or games released originally in Japanese.

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
http://pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
https://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
http://pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
http://meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

Ren'Py Download:
http://www.renpy.org/

Last thread: >>140261015
>>
>>140872292
Directly from the end, as a sequel / continuation

>Good luck
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. We are aware that there are a quite a bit of expressions missing for some of the girls, but we had to make some compromises in order to have the time to produce a reasonable amount of CGs. It's not impossible that we decide to add some sprites for some of the minor characters though. As for the sprites themselves though, it's not likely we will rework on them, mostly because the next part will have new sets of sprites (and this time more clothes variations are planned).

For the RP thing, we've received both positive and negative reaction with the scene, so I guess it's really subjective. The intent here was mostly to show all the characters be happy together and worry-free (except for Yahiko) one last time before the ending, since I don't think the next part will have a lot of happy-go-lucky slice of life.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, it's much appreciated.
>>
Good morning, you dead bastards.
>>
>>140911110
That doesn't look so low.
It actually looks better than most $15+ evns
>>
>>140912596
It looks good, it's just that the developers have been making this without any budget so far, hence why.
>>
>>140913086
name the devs ?
>>
>>140913178
Lekasoft studios I think. Their game is called Lost Winter Nights. There's a very short playable demo if I recall.
>>
File: moue4.png (411KB, 452x999px) Image search: [Google]
moue4.png
411KB, 452x999px
>>140913741
Aw shiet.
Checked their demo. Unpacked resources, all expressions done as individual separated files, despite having 1 base body for each characters. Blinking textbox. Shit lags at start. Shit lags in "History" screen. And they have (!) 2 programmers according to lemma & fuwa threads.
>>
>>140914676
Yeah I saw that. The blinking textbox is really annoying and distracting. I'm surprised they didn't try to fix this first thing.
>>
>>140912268
ohayou
>>
>>140914676
>all expressions done as individual separated files
that's not too bad unless there is a shitton of characters
>>
>>140914676
>all expressions done as individual separated files, despite having 1 base body for each characters
In defense of that practice, I find it a hell of a lot easier to plot out scenes when the expressions are fully built in the images directory and I can go look at it and see exactly what the face will look like before coding the character to switch to it.

It's not like filesize is an issue with most of these games, if there's no voice acting. Even with every single expression saved as a png the game's still under 200 MB. I could shave that down, but why? Some customers get bitchy if the game file is too small, like it can't possibly be a decent game if it's under 100MB.
Blinking textbox, though, damn, I've refused to play games I got free copies of for that. (I assume you mean it disappears every time an expression changes? Annoying as fuck.)
>>
File: maybe bug.jpg (375KB, 1762x1038px) Image search: [Google]
maybe bug.jpg
375KB, 1762x1038px
>>140911640
I liked the RP part. It made sense and seemed like a good way to turn around the mood. I find kind of funny when people complain about little SoL segments in a medium rife with them.

More on the tech side of things, though, I stumbled across pic related in the amusement park. Seems like a sprite is missing or bad naming or something. I get this one whenever I leave the tech showcase event for last.
>>
>>140920085

Really? I couldn't stand it. It dragged on and on, was utterly mindless, and broke up the otherwise somber but optimistic end of the VN. Having the brief happy reunion in the hospital was more than enough, and felt way more natural.

I hated all of the SoL parts, though, so maybe it's just me.
>>
On the note of tons of files... Can someone explain live composite to me like I am 5 years old? Or link to a good tutorial?
>>
>>140920324
>I hated all of the SoL parts, though, so maybe it's just me.
My point, my good anon. If a VN makes a point of including SoL and they don't lie about it, well, the fault lies at you.

It's fine if you don't like them and prefer other genres. There are VNs out there that keep the SoL parts brief or non existant (although less abundant than its counterpart because interacting with nice and likable characters seems to feel a basic necessity that goes unquenched modern day Japan--and soon the whole world). Saya no Uta and Kikokugai, for example.
>>
>>140921342
*seems to fill
>>
>>140921342

That argument doesn't hold up. If halfway through Clannad you had to play Call of Duty for twenty hours before you could continue, you would be well within your rights to criticise that choice of direction, even if it was advertised that it would be included. In the same way, saying "This VN's sprites are drawn in crayon" does not then invalidate people criticising the VN for an unecessary and possibly distracting stylistic choice.

Fallen Snow can develop Lucid9 how they like (and I hope they do, overall it's been quite good so far). But I can also provide feedback on the experience, and my feeling is that it would be a much better VN if it was remade as a single-thread narrative, and not a multi-route dating sim.
>>
>>140922039
>That argument doesn't hold up. If halfway through Clannad you had to play Call of Duty for twenty hours before you could continue, you would be well within your rights to criticise that choice of direction, even if it was advertised that it would be included. In the same way, saying "This VN's sprites are drawn in crayon" does not then invalidate people criticising the VN for an unecessary and possibly distracting stylistic choice.
This argument doesn't hold up.
If you were warned that there was Call of Duty in the middle, you could still criticise its effect on the pacing of the story, because that's a secondary issue.

But if a VN is advertised up front as having crayon sprites, all the screenshots have crayon sprites, and then you play it and bitch that it has crayon sprites, you're as much of an idiot as the people who buy VNs and then complain that they're virtual books with no gameplay. YES THAT IS WHAT IT SAID ON THE TIN.
>>
>>140920812
Read the documentation.
>>
>>140922298

If I bought the game and then said "WTF why are there crayon sprites???? Gayshit lol" then I would indeed be an idiot. But if insead I said "Buying into the team's artistic vision of a visual novel sprited entirely with crayon, I found myself left cold. Unfortunately, the overall effect failed to properly convey the emotional state of the characters, and ultimately left me unable to take seriously the VN's more emotional moments" - then that is fair feedback that their aims fell flat.

With Lucid9, I acknowledge that the game was pitched as partly SoL. I am now providing feedback that I found those elements detracted from the experience, and that I believe it would have been a better VN without them. You are also welcome to provide feedback on your own experience with Lucid9.
>>
Selenon Rising now has a single review
It's negative
Poor bastards
>>
>>140924338
>Sekai Project
uh, aren't publishers supposed to market products they take on
>>
>>140924338
laughing so fucking hard here
>>
>>140924954
https://twitter.com/TheGamersTemple/status/726120671697203200
https://twitter.com/sekaiproject/status/726065272004685824
https://twitter.com/sekaiproject/status/725825359741083648
https://twitter.com/GraalFr/status/725588095853285376
What more could you want?
>>
>>140925214
>30% of your profits past Steam/taxes for two tweets
If any of you guys are dumb enough to sign with them, you deserve your horrible fate.
>>
>>140925347
The other tweets are them retweeing gaming sites posting about it, so they at least submit your press release to some 'journalists'

But yes. You could do this yourself, if you're not a complete cavedweller.
>>
>>140924338
That's what you get for making typos in game name.
How is it even possible to mispronounce Skeleton as Selenon ?
>>
>>140925757
Skeleton Raising
The new necromancer parenting sim
>>
>>140922856
>>140922298
If that can somehow help, as I said earlier, I don't think the next parts will focus on slice of life (if there is, probably much less than in Inciting Incident). That being said, I'm not sure you could argue that the game would objectively become better without the SoL parts. With all the feedback we've received, it seems that a majority of the people enjoyed the slice of life in the sense that it made them care about the characters. However, there is also a (non-negligible) minority who believes the SoL really distracts the pace of the game. I don't believe any group is objectively more right than the other, how you will react to this will depend on one's own sense of humor. I'll admit that the demographic we are targeting (at least with Inciting Incident) is probably younger than your average EVN? With all the internet culture stuff, memes and pop-culture references, it's most likely harder to enjoy the game if you're not really into it.

Anyway, my point is, different demographics, different tastes, different experience. While your feedback is definitely valuable, it relies on your personal enjoyment and tastes. Would removing all of the slice of life make the story better if a majority of people saw value in it? And if you were to replace those scenes, what would you include instead?
>>
>>140925214
>2 tweets
>17 likes and 13 retweets in total
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Oh wait, it's actually quite bad.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
>>
The crowdfunding campaign for Phantom the Rebound succeeded. Didn't this one fail before and relaunched later with a much lower goal for the same game?

And, from the creators of Sickness, comes Wander No More to Steam.
>>
>>140925889

Right. Everyone will naturally have their own opinion.

For me, I still didn't care about most of the characters, and at least for Inciting Incident, they had no reason to be in the story. Akira and Airi are very unrealistic, which makes them hard to take seriously. Akira's boundless optimism especially clashes awfully with the overall tone of the VN. Had neither existed, I don't believe Inciting Incident would have been any the worse, and I think the pacing would have been much improved.

Elizabeth is a more grounded character, but again, she doesn't serve much purpose in Inciting Incident that couldn't be easily glossed over. I don't think any of these three had any really emotional scenes, either. Maybe I'll change my mind after part 2, but looking at Inciting Incident alone, I think they could have served much more minor roles.

Misaki is a bit better, given her history with Yama, and her status as a red herring about Yama's past. But she also tied in weakly to the central plot. Amalgamating the essetial roles of Misaki, Airi and Elizabeth into Misaki would have solved all that.

The best parts of the VN are the tension of the mystery, and Yama's scenes with Rui, which not only felt the most natural of any of the heroines, but also led to the most depth. The two have a much deeper and more complicated relationship than almost any other I can think of in an EVN, and I think that was actually the greatest success of Lucid9. Needless to say, I'm not convinced the other 4 heroines will be able to measure up, but I'll reserve judgement until part 2 is out.

As you said, however, to each their own. I found the memes cringey and juvenile, but others may find them fresh and humorous. Ultimately, it's your VN, and whether you choose to incorporate or discard any of this is up to you. I did enjoy the VN, and I think it was one of the best EVNs I've played, but I think it could have been phenomenal, instead of merely good, and that leaves me disappointed.
>>
>>140926846
Fair enough, I can understand that. It would be unrealistic to try to please everyone anyway, though I'm still glad that you found value in playing the game despite disliking a good half of it. Regarding some of the points you wrote, I do think those scenes suffer from the lack of perspective that comes with only releasing part 1. While it's true that a lot of those moments are completely irrelevant to Inciting Incident, they are supposed to set up a non negligible amount of foreshadowing for the heroine routes, but since part 2 is not out, the reader has to take those scenes at face value, meaning that if you dislike the heroines, it will just bore you.
>>
>>140925347
look, this meme again.
>>
>>140914676
>>140916968
>blinking textbox
>lags at start
>lags in "History" screen
What are you guys talking about? The only thing that blinks in the textbox is the little arrow telling you to keep going, and there is no lag whatsoever unless you are playing it in a literal toaster.

This is beyond nitpicking, unless you are the devs and it's just a ruse to make people check it out. If so, it works.
>>
>>140928442
Each time a new sprite or expression appears on screen, the textbox flickers. It's really distracting.
>>
>>140928403
Hey Sekai apologist, how about you let the rest of the class know exactly what is it that they can do for anyone? We have a clear example of them not doing enough to warrant a slice of the pie, as shitty as the pie is.
>>
>>140929168
and can be fixed with literally a single line of code (unless it's a namebox, then you're shit out of luck)
>>
>>140929369

Where have you been the last few threads? It's clear that they partially funded ML, those 5k didn't come out of nowhere.
>>
Should I splurge some money on an artist to draw a cool looking cover and then do the in-game stuff myself, despite my lack of skill in that field? For a comparison of what I'm thinking of, think like the original Umineko releases.
>>
>>140929458
Wasn't that the point? That they have all these 'programmers' and still such a basic mistake put forward
>>
>>140929945

No, see a Wild Catgirl Appears. People will shit on it to no end.
>>
>>140928403
More like if you're dumb enough to sign with a publisher and expect them to do 100% of the marketing work for you. Sekai will basically post about your game as long as you create content they can share easily. If you expect them to come at you and ask you "Okay, so here is the plan for the next two months regarding marketing, we will need you to gather X assets, ideally Y newsletter and blog post, and produce Z original assets for a press release", you're really mistaken. Having Sekai as a publisher is a multiplier for your own marketing efficiency.

Making your own marketing plan twice as more effective is useless if the value of your efforts starts around 0. The EVN projects that teamed up with Sekai who knew how to market themselves but just lacked the audience received a very decent amount of additional exposure thanks to Sekai from what I've seen.
>>
>>140929945
You can do it this way if your total game budget is $50 and if you're really really lucky you might get some decent results, but in general people will bitch that the art doesn't look like the cover and demand refunds.

Unless it's free and then at least you might attract enough attention with your cover to get a few extra downloads.
>>
>>140930062
>Unless it's free
That's the plan. No way am I stupid enough to think people will want to buy it if I do that, I'm interested solely in scoring extra downloads to market myself. It's my hope that enough people aren't put off by the blatant bait-and-switch marketing that they like my writing (which they might not have checked out if not for the cover) and I can market myself more in the future (and maybe re-hire the same artist to do more than a single illustration).
>>
>>140929814
And that's very bad, you moron. They wouldn't have to fund their projects' crowdfunding at all if they were doing a good job advertising. Getting the funding to complete the project and not marketing/selling at all is a bad thing in a commercial project.
>>
I swear to God, some of you still think getting your game on Steam or other stores is making it. There is a big jump between that and getting people to play it and give a fuck about it.
>>
>>140930000
A lot of people bought it, though. They complained, but when you're starting from zero with attention, every little helps
>>
>>140930000
I checked the reviews and more of them are complaining about the writing and technical problems than the art.
>>
>>140930023
>If you expect them to come at you and ask you "Okay, so here is the plan for the next two months regarding marketing, we will need you to gather X assets, ideally Y newsletter and blog post, and produce Z original assets for a press release", you're really mistaken.
They're taking a share of the money.
It's not unreasonable to expect them to be a little proactive.

On the other hand if you can't be arsed to prepare marketing materials for them to use or give them a reasonable time to hype your game before you insist on releasing it, they can't work miracles.
>>
>>140930858
The art has since been fixed. There were tons of complaints about the art when the game launched, we had multiple threads mocking how ridiculous it was.
>>
>>140930023
What is a publisher supposed to do? Publish. If you sign with them and you still have to put your game out there because they don't have a plan, you're not exactly getting a publisher out of the deal.
>>
>>140931013
What does the new art look like?
>>
>>140930889
>On the other hand if you can't be arsed to prepare marketing materials for them to use or give them a reasonable time to hype your game before you insist on releasing it, they can't work miracles.
This. Then again, if they have no QA and will just let you tank, it's very unethical that they'd take your money for a service they're not in condition to provide given the circumstances.
>>
>>140930889
>On the other hand if you can't be arsed to prepare marketing materials for them to use or give them a reasonable time to hype your game before you insist on releasing it, they can't work miracles.
True, but that's no excuse for them not even asking for anything.
>>
>>140930561
one of people's complains is that they don't fund their projects, and ML shows that they do. The only bad decision was using IGG and not announcing it at cons. Otherwise it's been advertised plenty.
>>
>>140931197
>>
>>140931667
>one of people's complains is that they don't fund their projects
And that's a retarded complaint, their job is to publish and market the VNs. Which they're clearly not doing effectively.

>Otherwise it's been advertised plenty.
Where?
>>
>>140931667
>advertised plenty
By ML anon, yes. By sekai? Don't make me laugh, sekai shill.
>>
>>140932901
see
>>140925214
I rest my case, Sekai-hater.
>>
>>140933192
Oh, you're just trolling. Carry on then.
>>
>>140934028
I miss the simpler, more earnest and genuine "you are trolling" times. Now everyone is too jaded and goes for the more coolgy "this is bait".
>>
>>140932901
>And that's a retarded complaint,
It depends on what you expect. In many cases video game publishers DO fund projects. Not always, though.

Really, it's up to the individual what contract they sign and what deals they make.
>>
Is voice acting, no matter how bad it is, mandatory for a VN?
>>
>>140930889
I'm not trying to white-knight them, I have my fair deal of complaints regarding how Sekai could do things, but I'm a bit tired of seeing people pretending they are scammers who will take your money for nothing. Their efficiency isn't great, but they are far from useless either.

>>140931032
But Sekai isn't the best suited to create a marketing plan, because they don't know as much as the devs about the game. Sekai knows where and how to advertise, but it's the dev's role to create and pick the content they want to be promoted. Sekai can't do that for you, and they shouldn't. A marketing plan is something for both the creators and the publisher to make.

>>140931413
It's honestly a bit naive to think that Sekai should dedicate their time and proactiveness toward small EVNs that won't bring them as much profit as JVNs at the end of the day. It's unfair, but money talks and they are a business.
Even if asking about a project isn't much from Sekai, I'm pretty sure most of the devs here can relate to their situation: imagine yourself being very busy with discussing stuff about crucial elements of your VN with some members (say art or music). Now, would you also take the time to check all the lesser jobs (such as editing, coding) and see if they are progressing as well? If you're too busy, you'd probably prefer them to come at you directly to brief you. It's the same with Sekai I feel.

It's true that it's not a real excuse, but if Sekai isn't making the first move, what prevents you from doing it yourself? Devs just need to know their right, have more self confidence and be a bit more pushy. Everyone benefits from it, trying to save some misplaced pride by saying "I paid so they must take care of everything without me having to say a thing" is really stupid.
>>
>>140935040
Yeah, I'm sure repackaging fan translations of JVNs from four or more years ago is hard work.
>>
>>140935020
No. If it is too bad I would actually advise AGAINST including it.
>>
>>140935040
I don't think Sekai are scammers exactly. I do think devs who sign up with them are mugs who could do the same job themselves with a little effort.

>>140935020
Of course not
>>
>>140935040
>But Sekai isn't the best suited to create a marketing plan, because they don't know as much as the devs about the game
>implying any publisher knows more about the game than the dev
just shut up
>>
>>140935040
>if Sekai isn't making the first move, what prevents you from doing it yourself?
The fact I'm giving them revenue to do it?
>>
>>140935854
Asking help from Sekai is more like a shortcut I feel. They are basically selling you their followers, and you get more chance for your announcements to snowball through social medias.
>>
>>140936501
Even under that assumption, you'd have to be pretty stupid to promise to give a share of your profits forever away over a few tweets.
>>
>>140936501
The problem is that everything Sekai does for you can be done in a day or two.
>>
>>140936913
Except the funding, on the cases where they actually do step up with some.

Anyway. Speaking only for myself, I'm not trying to attack them so much as trying to tell people to do it themselves. You'll make more money and feel more in control of your business.
>>
>>140936334
I mean, sure Sekai is at fault, but I don't understand either devs who are too butthurt by Sekai ignoring them to try to remind them that they exist and that they need to work together to make active promotion. Saying "I'm giving them revenue so they should take care of everything" is as stupid as the "customer is king" thing. If you are willing to be more cooperative and swallow your pride, and accept that Sekai might not put your project as a priority, but are still willing to help you promote it, everyone is a winner in the end. It would be a totally different story if Sekai just plainly refused to promote your stuff when asked, but I don't recall hearing of that ever happening (I might be wrong though about that though).

>>140936697
It's all a matter of exposure. Seeing their following, a simple tweet about the name of your game will guarantee you at least thousands of view, and it adds up with the number of retweets. Even if they don't pay attention to your project, they will be at least aware of your game existence. After people become more aware of your game, they are more likely to react when it's mentioned after. And in the end more likely to visit your download page. And maybe if they like it, they will talk about it in social medias or in different communities. It's all stuff that adds up to create a snowball effect. Getting as much exposure on your own is hard, not impossible, but it takes time and effort.
>>
>>140937932
I'm not sure the people bitching about Sekai here are actually the people working with them.
>>
>>140937932
>I don't understand either devs who are too butthurt by Sekai ignoring them
You're trying to defend a position with no merits whatsoever here. If you take a job to publish and market, you publish and market. The developers can afford to have no idea how this works; their job is to develop games. On the other hand, Sekai is offering a service based on how this works. Expecting all developers to understand the situation is stupid, but Sekai's whole business as a publisher depends on their ability to market.

You have no argument here. If they can't do their best because the dev is uncooperative, they should not sign with them. Anything else is just malpractice. You would never blame a surgeon for not being willing to operate on a patient rejecting surgery, but you would sue the hell out of them if the patient wasn't given the instructions from the professional on how to prepare for surgery and died as a direct consequence of that.
>>
>>140936913
Good luck getting an article on a bigger site if you are a first time dev, though.
>>
>>140939282
I did. It helps to target sites that might be interested in them and having a good looking game as well as a press kit rather than just going "HEY FEATURE US".
>>
>>140938948
This is the only place they can bitch about sekai. NDA with sekai forbids speaking out against them. A lot of people are very displeased with them.
>>
>>140938948
I work with people who worked under them on a release and will never do so again. Like >>140940026
said, NDA prevents them from saying shit in public, and I was told this in confidence.
>>
>>140940026
im fine with them
>>
>>140940159
Good fucking riddance, we don't want to work with anyone like you anyway.
>>
>>140940595
A little too on the nose, friend. Gotta be subtler.
>>
>>140940026
Then why do they keep publishing with them?
We've very rarely seen anyone leave. Only Winged Cloud, and they came crawling back.
>>
>>140941020
Because even if their management sucks, they remain effective in numbers I guess?
If my math isn't too wonky, supposing they take a 30% cut from your game, you just need to sell 42% more games than what you would have sold without them to break even.
>>
>>140941565
I doubt a random EVN is going to sell 42% better because Sekai Project retweeted them, really
>>
File: sasugasekai.jpg (212KB, 696x489px) Image search: [Google]
sasugasekai.jpg
212KB, 696x489px
>>140942635
But it does.
>>
>>140943372
Well, their non-Sekai game also sold like shit on Steam, so who knows, that might be an improvement
>>
>>140943372
I feel bad for them but it is also hilarious
>>
>>140944113
I also feel bad for the hordes of nobody game devs still complaining that Steam didn't "let them know" about the upcoming anime sale, and/or didn't feature their games on the main page.

I mean, it's sweet that you innocently think Steam cares about every little VN and is going to reach out to them personally to invite them into a sale event but... that isn't how the business works.
>>
>>140944491
How does it work? Do you go email them saying "hey next time there's a themed sale hook my game up in on that"?
>>
>>140944905
Might help, since the biggest problem is the 'nobody'.

If you have a game that has made a ton of sales, you are bumped up to a higher level of attention internally, and they'll automatically pay attention to you.

If you've made contacts within Valve so someone actually remembers you exist, then you might get some of that as well.

I have no clue how http://steamspy.com/dev/xinoro got a feature slot in the anime sale, unless it was just because they're actually Japanese.
>>
>>140937932
They should take care of everything they agree to in their contract, which I've not read. Maybe the devs are signing contracts that stipulate that SP will only tweet about you once, retweet you once and not bring your game to conventions and instead do "Online Exclusives", and that's on them. Maybe not.

However, I've worked for a videogame company that also published games from smaller studios and what we offered them included:

- QA
- Some of our devs to manage to hit deadlines
- All of their PR was done by my company
- Their trailers were done by my company
- Distribution
- Showing a working demo to various journalists so they could write previews about it

And probably other stuff that I forget. While some of these would seem a bit overkill for most EVNs, expecting them to post about the VN on several related sites and not just tweeting once about the release and bringing builds to conventions (which is what I understood they didn't do with ML) would seem like the bare minimum.

I'm bringing this up because what I'm getting from yours and other posts seems to suggest that it's the devs' fault exclusively that they get such a crappy deal. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sign with Sekai even if I were panicking about money for any reason, I'd rather ask for a loan or work a second and a third job and these devs should really learn their lesson and never deal with Sekai again, but Sekai itself isn't blameless in this. At best, they're incompetent fuckwits, at worst, they're knowingly pocketing money from the EVNs they "publish" for very little effort on their part.
>>
>>140946591
>expecting them to post about the VN on several related sites and not just tweeting once about the release and bringing builds to conventions (which is what I understood they didn't do with ML) would seem like the bare minimum.

It seems that they submit press releases and/or review keys to various blogs and sites even for little EVNs.
>>
>>140946591
>I'd rather ask for a loan

I agree with a lot of your post, but holy shit this is literally the worst idea.
>>
>>140947208
A surprising number of indie games are funded by maxing out a credit card as a starter loan.
>>
>>140946591
As>>140947065 said, they do make press releases and offer review keys if you ask them. The part irking most people being the "if you ask them", since Sekai really isn't proactive with their EVN.

Sure it's very little effort for them at this point, but I always saw getting published by Sekai being more of a "buy an access to their social medias followers" rather than "buy Sekai's efforts in promoting your game". It's probably just me though.
>>
>>140949794
Maybe I should offer a discount service. I will tweet about your game and I don't even demand a share of profits. Just $50 a tweet. Deal, right?
>>
>>140920085
>It made sense
>playing a game about killing immediately after the MC comes out of a hospital getting therapy for beating a girl almost to death
No it fucking doesn't.
Also for people who actually play tabletop roleplay games it didn't make logistical sense because there was no time at all spent on mechanics besides a simple d20 roll. Which it didn't make sense for Airi to use in the first place since it's a shit mechanic that only still sees use because of D&D. And it just didn't feel much like a real play experience.

>>140920324
>It dragged on and on
This too, I thought the length and suddenness of it were both inappropriate to the situation. And it didn't feel like the characters were that invested in it, which makes sense, but there was nothing else to make the players invested in it either.
>>
>>140950573
>bashing d20s
oh, it's on now
>>
>>
>>140952045
Sauce?
>>
>>140922856
I understand your position but disagree. While I can see that you might want to get to the meat of the situation quickly, I found that almost every scene contributed strongly to the characterization and the mystery, which are necessary for the player to be engaged in the central murder mystery premise. Furthermore, I think it's necessary to have a sort of a smokescreen of mundanity for the player to pick out clues from. If nothing happened that wasn't important to the plot, there would have been one or two people that would have been totally obvious as the potential candidates, purely by virtue of the abnormal degree of attention paid to them. Further, I found it necessary to contrast despair and normalcy, from the perspective of portraying the MC's mental health issues. If you want a fast-paced game, you can skip a lot of SoL scenes, but ultimately I don't think that this is a game which should be fast paced in that way. That's not to say it's perfect and couldn't be cut down a bit. In addition to the RP thing, I think there's too many options in the theme park bit. And the hospital visits seem just slightly over the sum total length than they should be. But those are a few specific cases.

>>140925889
>With all the internet culture stuff, memes and pop-culture references
While sometimes dumb, the characters felt realistically like teenagers to me. It was a kind of dumb that you seem it real life, I think it was well-written even though I wouldn't expect an adult my age to talk like them.

>Would removing all of the slice of life make the story better
Definitely not all. Removing some might, I think.
>>
>>140926846
Airi is unrealistic, but Akira? You clearly didn't spend much time with autistic loser females in high school. Also, she's not really optimistic, she's just putting on a brave face.

>Elizabeth
I enjoyed her banter and saw her as an outlet for Yama who was mostly separate from school. To me, that's worthwhile for the perspective it adds to Yama's character, in addition to her being best girl.

>Misaki
I agree in this case. I don't think she adds much and could probably have been fused with Elizabeth one way or another without losing too much of what makes either one useful to the story. At least for Inciting Incident.

>I found the memes cringey and juvenile
The characters are juveniles.

>it was one of the best EVNs I've played, but I think it could have been phenomenal, instead of merely good
Yeah, this is pretty much my perspective as well. Only a few small changes are needed, in my opinion, and they are generally the sort of thing that would be better with budget. But so it goes.
>>
>>140952715
https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=31548
>>
>>140950573
I have been playing tabletop RPG for more than 15 years now, and you are a fucking moron if you think the most important part of the experience is the mechanics. Or maybe you are an autist who can't even crack jokes or take a break during the game to drink beer and eat some pizza while commenting on some ridiculous situation product of a critical failure.

It didn't feel like a real playing experience, that it true. Probably because that would have taken too long and *then* it would have affected the pacing.
>playing a game about killing immediately after...
Yeah, that would trigger anyone. Just like angry birds man, poor peggies r being killd duh. You are not even trying.
>>
>>140954185
>the most important part of the experience is the mechanics
Of course it's not. But dealing with mechanics is part of the game, even in rules-lite systems. It's one thing they got wrong about it.The other parts are also wrong.

>that would have taken too long
It did anyway though.

>that would trigger anyone
Whether it actually would or not, we spent the whole game building up how sensitive this guy is, and then nobody even thinks of that possibility? Hell, at one point he attacks an enemy with a fucking pipe. If you don't think that would have put him off the experience, whether it "triggered" or not, you have clearly never so much as spent time with someone who's been in a bad situation.
>>
>>140954921
First you complain about not going about mechanics long enough and then you say the scene was too long anyway.
Would have been better if they just made cartagra, huh? And even better if they were japanese.
>>
>>140955959
I think it would be better to omit things that can't be done well. I don't see why that's an unusual opinion.
>>
>>
>>140954921
In retrospect, that was a mistake from our part since we actually wrote the RP before the climax (countless rewriting kinda made us loose our sense of appreciation regarding the pacing at the end and messed the writing order of some of the scene). The previous climax written before wasn't supposed to be as emotionally taxing as the current one. It's a scene that necessitated a lot of revisions, to the point where we ended up being kinda desensitized to it. And as a result the transition to the cafe scene can feel out of place. I still think the RP serves a purpose (if only to show off again the sightcode UI again), but we could definitely have made it better.
>>
File: Iori-sheet-Recovered1.jpg (1013KB, 3000x1209px) Image search: [Google]
Iori-sheet-Recovered1.jpg
1013KB, 3000x1209px
I will become the martyr of /evn/ by risking a 3 day ban in order to post progress that will get shat on.
>>
>>140958425
>bashing your own work over some admitedly minoritary opinions
So the cool and aloof attitude really attracts all the fangirls. Good to know.
>>
>>140959189

I like her, but the tits feel weightless. Maybe because it's not shaded yet?
>>
>>140959189
I would raise the levels of the colors. It seems too dark at the moment.
>>
>>140959189
Looking good.
>>
>>140959189
>still haven't recovered from one guy's butthurt
Looking good but I'm not really feeling the lipstick. It's too light and it blends in with her mouth.
>>
>>140959189
It's ok. the hair feels off, the bangs look quite bad. it's generic as hell, but not horrible.
>>
>>140959461
>>140959490
The shading will help a lot in those regards, but thanks for the feedback.
>>140959498
Thank you, anon.
>>140959849
The anal devastation was far too great for me to handle. It still hurts whenever I sit down.
I feel you, I requested the tongue color to be changed to a darker red.
>>
>>140960471
Might want to set her against a backgr\ound that isn't blinding white so she can be seen more clearly at this dark stage.
>>
File: Spaceship.jpg (802KB, 1367x768px) Image search: [Google]
Spaceship.jpg
802KB, 1367x768px
>>140960742
Well this is the background she'll be set against in game.
>>
>>140961525
I assumed it would be fine in game, it's just hard to look at for the moment.
>>
>>
>>140963454
This looks nice
>>
File: Che04lJUcAA8SaG.jpg (29KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Che04lJUcAA8SaG.jpg
29KB, 600x337px
>>
>>140967130
This, however, looks weird.
>>
>>140959432
I'm not taking all the feedback at face value from /evn/ either, but I've had other people complain about the RP scene in other places for similar reasons. So it probably means that it's a slightly more valid concern.
>>
File: 139915641250.png (57KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
139915641250.png
57KB, 600x434px
I just wish I had a single good idea, just one ;_;
>>
>>140971560
here's an idea: tits
>>
>>140971646
>>140971560
Ideas worth nothing.
but if you can provide me full design document, than it's a different story.
>>
>>140971560
Wouldn't help. Then you'd wish you had a competent team of artists to make the assets you need.
>>
>>140971926
>full design document
What's in those? Characters, setting, plot or more?
>>
>>140972932
I'd make them myself, but for the life of me I can't come up with a plot that isn't boring/cliched/shallow/plain retarded and/or would require a reasonable amount of assets.
Teaming up with free writers didn't end well either, they didn't finish their part of the job and what they have written wasn't lending itself well to VN format anyway (too many very short scenes, too many characters, very sparse prose in general but required a ton of bgs/cgs, I'm actually partially happy they've disappeared and I don't have to finish it).
The answer seems to be either to find a writer I mesh well with or drink myself to death.
>>
>>140974157
> be a game dev
> doesn't know what a design document is

anon please.
>>
>>140974945
I'm just a lowly artist fampai.
>>
>>140974945
They do vary by circumstances, studio, and target audience though. So if someone wants to see one and you don't know them, you might not know how much detail they need.
>>
Age of Decadence is the best evn released to date

prove me wrong. protip: you can't
>>
>>140924338
that's brutal. i think i'm going to pity buy the game
>>
>>
>>140926071

Good luck getting on sites like Siliconera without Sekai :^)
>>
>>140980024
>email 'journalist'
>'journalist' posts what you tell him to
gosh it's so hard
>>
>>140980217

>Email journalist when you're not a publishing company or friends with them
>Move to Trash

So dumb, so naive.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHCA1Pht8s
>>
>>140980024
>Siliconera
Probably should've used a better example site, because they'll run anything.
>>
>>140959189
I was in the middle of a month long break from /evn/ and what do I smell? A fucking tracer. God it stinks of tracing in here. I just couldn't handle it. So I load up my browser, pull up /evn/ for the first time in almost a month and what do I see? You dirty mother fucker.
>>
>>140982873
I love you
>>
File: lel.gif (228KB, 352x198px) Image search: [Google]
lel.gif
228KB, 352x198px
>>140982873
Thanks anon, I was starting to thirst for my daily dose!
>>
How much money should I be expecting to have to shell out to an artist?

I ask for a friend.
>>
File: 1460006475471.jpg (5KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
1460006475471.jpg
5KB, 250x232px
>>140982873
oh well the worst poster is back
>>
>>140983841
$180/sprite for pro level
$50/sprite for amateur
>>
>>140983841
Your firstborn child and virginity should cover it.
>>
>>140983975
>$180/sprite for pro level
post this 'pro level' you speak of.
>>
>>140984140
it would blind you
>>
>>140983841
75-150 for backgrounds
Some nice anon posted a spreadsheet of sprite prices from lemmasoft in an earlier thread.
>>
>>140984197
with its ugliness? Thought as much.
>>
File: beautiful.png (6KB, 264x367px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful.png
6KB, 264x367px
>>140984314
Tell me this isn't worth every penny.
Go on.
I dare you.
>>
>>140983880
Why would you say that about me? Do you have any idea how fragile I am?

Besides, it's pathetic how you all are letting these threads die so often without my help.
>>
File: even more beautiful.png (11KB, 543x444px) Image search: [Google]
even more beautiful.png
11KB, 543x444px
>>140984495
But can you top this?!
>>
>>140984895
best girl
best EVN I've ever played
it's going to have a general devoted to it that would run for 7000 years
>>
>>140984787
Whatever, Tracey.
>>
>>140985175
Call me by my full name...

DICK Tracy. Trace detective extraordinaire.
>>
File: beautiful.png (6KB, 264x367px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful.png
6KB, 264x367px
>>140984895
Psssh. Nothing personnel... kid.
>>
>>140974945
People actually use design documents?

also
>game dev

As if EVN devs come even close to game devs. They're better grouped as authors for books.
>>
>>140986338
>They're better grouped as authors for books.

Not me, I can only do art.
>>
>>140986338
I do but I actually do art for my games.
>>
So any new visual novel engines to mess around with? Any cool updates to existing ones? Any news on Live2D for Ren'Py?
>>
Anyone going to get into VRVNs? Saw one the other day and it looks pretty good actually.
>>
>>140988592
Can you explain how that would work? Are they still 2D sprites?
>>
>>140988592
Can you imagine trying to read textboxes in 3D for hours on end? No thanks.
>>
>>140980394
I'm not a publishing company or a friend. It still works.
>>
>>140988351
why would you want a new engine
to spend more time learning engines and not get a game written?
unless you want a vr engine or something
at least that would be new
>>
>>140991218
name game
>>
File: VR Meido.webm (3MB, 850x480px) Image search: [Google]
VR Meido.webm
3MB, 850x480px
>>140988592
You don't mean this one do you?
>>
First of all, to anyone wanting a VR VN scene.. They're going to need to fix text in VR, because the fresnel lenses they're using right now just don't cut it for reading. It really sucks. I do every bit of reading I need to do outside of VR and only use VR for limited reading or visual stuff. If there was a narrator, or the text was really huge it might work I guess.
>>
>>140991932
What is that and can you fuck her?

>>140991353
I want a new engine because Ren'Py is old and outdated... and people can just look at all your files without even playing your game. There's no Live2D, and the updates don't do much for it. There isn't a single good VN engine out there. We should have much better options.
>>
>>140992354
You could write it in Unity, no one is stopping you brah.
>>
>>140992354
>We should have much better options.
Why? EVNs are pretty niche, it's not that surprising no one else has produced a better engine.
>>
>>140992775
VNs in general are a joke. Have you seen those streamers just shitting on them?
>>
>>140992354
VNs are outdated. Why don't you try a real game genre.
>>
>>140992354
Why don't you just make your own instead of constantly whining about no one doing the heavy lifting for you?
>>
>>140992354
CM3D and you probably can.
>>
>>140992414
I know how to use Unity, and every other engine. I'm just lazy. I'd rather spend my time making the assets.

>>140992775
>>140992892
Who cares, most streamers are idiots anyway and their audiences are some of the worst people to ever grace the Internet. 10 year olds have nothing better to do these days than watch twitch streams all day. I don't think it's VNs as a genre that is shit, I think it's because everyone making them is a bit of a joke. Most Japanese couldn't write a story or proper characters to save their lives. Of course weeaboobs eat it up, but it's mostly shit to be honest. EVNs are mostly just copying Japanese shit, so of course they're going to suck as well. If you take a piece of shit and make more piles of shit based on it it's still going to be shit. The only thing that makes most of the Japanese ones less shit is they have higher budgets and more professional studios making them. Also they get weeaaboob points for being Japanese origin of course. VNs can be about anything. Why regurgitate the same stupid anime shit because that's all Japan can do? The only ones killing VNs are idiot creators.
>>
>>140992964
I remember when people thought books were going to go away because they were outdated. Good times. They're still here despite the modern tech.
>>
>>140993229
CM3D or CM3D2?

>>140992964
No.

>>140993168
No.
>>
>>140993492
>EVNs are mostly just copying Japanese shit
Have you seen some EVNs in here? People legit don't even want to do that. It's a good majority at this point who are doing western shit.
>>
>>140993701
>It's a good majority at this point who are doing western shit.
Oh nice. Show me some.
>>
>>140993168
Would people actually be up for a new engine?
>>
>>140993516
Nobody likes pixel art now that we have vectors
Nobody plays 2D games now that we have 3D graphics
Nobody buys games now that we have F2P
Nobody reads books now that we've invented hypertext
Nobody will read your VN on an engine that was written more than a year ago, god, you're so dumb.
>>
File: 94589.jpg (486KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
94589.jpg
486KB, 1920x1080px
>>140994150
>>
>>140993993
Only if it's actually good and tight and not some stupid shitshow like TyranoBuilder. It obviously needs Live2D support, all the obvious things that make VNs VNs, etc. It isn't that hard to get all the must have features together, and most of them are just text based features. Every engine that comes out is a joke in one way or another though. Enough of this shit already.

Also, the EVN creation community is pretty small, so I'm not sure you'd find worth in creating it. Who knows though.
>>
>>140994150
>Nobody will read your VN on an engine that was written more than a year ago, god, you're so dumb.

That's not the argument. The argument is that the features and the base it's built on suck and something else could easily be superior. It's more from a creator standpoint than a player standpoint argument, but could benefit both.
>>
>>140994812
Putting PyTom out of business when?
>>
so, time for another survey of what the most recent english releases on VNDB are

First, we have >>140994363 this weird thing, which looks like it's trying to rip off Japan in the 90s for artistic purposes.

Then there's Selenon Rising, which desperately wants to be Danganronpa.

Zeitlos Sigil isn't very japanese looking but it's hideous. Avoid.

Starlit Flowers is definitely in a more western cartoon art style.

Anomie... might want to be Stein's Gate? I'm not sure. At least it's not a moe high school.

Ciikos Bridge certainly feels anime-related but it doesn't look like a ripoff of anything in particular that I can see.

Rising Angels still wishes it were a Japanese series, but at least they're not weebing it up with Japanese dubbing.

Drusilla Dreams is somewhere between the east and west in its art attempt and came out ugly.

C14 Dating has Deji's so-happy-shiny anime art, but the game is pure western Tumblr.

Normal Boots Club is obviously taking a western subject and applying "cute anime dating sim" to it.

Most projects are a bit of mix-and-match. I don't think any of those people are HERE though.
>>
>>140994976
Never unfortunately. Ren'Py is a passion project for him, and there's no money in creating an awesome VN engine because there just isn't a solid userbase for it. So we're stuck learning to make our own thing or use some dude's nasty jizz covered passion project.
>>
>>140995159
Heirs & Graces is coming out soon, but it has a terrible case of yaoi anatomy.
>>
>>140995159
Don't forget Brilliant Shadows and that series. Pretty firmly in the land of the western.
>>
>>140995640
If Clamp can get away with it, we can get away with it.
>>
I'm going to make a VN engine just so I don't have to hear bitching about muh Live2D ever again.
>>
>>140995796
Why not just move to a real game engine?
You can do the same thing, but better.
>>
>>140995715
Brilliant Shadows, a game that had plenty of advertising and exposure. Even got played by Dodger on her YouTube channel. The game appears to have high production value, or at least above average and has been released for around half a year at the less than 10 dollar price range. All this in mind, it is only estimated to be at around 4,000 total sales.

These things really don't sell well do they? Even the shittiest pixel platformers can easily sell 10k copies.
>>
>>140996236
It isn't anime. Problem solved, anon.
>>
File: IMG_20160503_210552.jpg (216KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160503_210552.jpg
216KB, 1024x576px
>>140995762
yeah, but look at this.
>>
>>140996691
Can you show me some good anime themed EVNs that sold well?
>>
>>140996764
At least the old lady looks pretty awesome. The middle guy looks mostly passable. The elf guy looks passable too, but yeah the faces are a little off. Coloring is naisu though.
>>
>>140996795
HRP raised 50k on Kickstarter
>>
>>140996795
The Sakura games are always a good fallback to that.
>>
>>140996236
>>140996691
Brilliant Shadows' selling point was ~diversity~.
>>
>>140996795
All Sakura games. They're the best EVNs got since no one else has sufficient budget or storytelling skills.
>>
>>140997315
... are you implying that the sakura games have good storyrelling?
>>
>>140997070
That makes me sad. We have to rely on being as close to animu as possible to even have a chance at being marketable.

>Sakura games
So huge boobs and overly generic animu girls? Wow, this world is full of surprises.

Were the Sakura games even any good? Was the budget spent wisely, or is it all just lolol quirky boobs in your face all day long?
>>
>>140997770
>We have to rely on being as close to animu as possible to even have a chance at being marketable.
That's not true and you know it. Stop making excuses for your own failure.
>>
Does Sekai Project help fund your game?
>>
>>140997770
>hasn't even played Sakura games
>shitting on them already
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>140993701
What general do you live in?
>>
>no one wants to play EVNs
>Sakura Angels, 100k copies sold, mostly positive reviews
>go to store page.. most generic boobie VN i've ever seen

Well, looks like I don't have to worry about not being able to make interesting characters or write stories since I can draw a pretty mean generic animu girl with boobs popping out.
>>
>>140998094
Yes
>>
>>140998205
So what's good about them exactly? Please enlighten me.

>>140997871
Prove me otherwise. Currently the argument is strongly in my favor because of steamspy. Go ahead, I'll wait.
>>
>>140998312
I mean, you could. But then you wouldn't be on /evn/, since that's clearly not what a person would join /evn/ for.
>>
>>140998589
Western art is shit. Not even westerners want western art. Generic animu is god's gift to the art world, visual novels, and boob lovers everywhere.
>>
>>140997439
Are you kidding? Look at all that PLOT!
>>
>>140998756
Westerners hardly care about art. They love choices though. Give them a hundred of them and they'll love your game.
>>
>>140998880
So base body, base face, tons of different colors for skin, eyes, lips, a few different hairs and lots of hair colors, some accessories like cat ears, tails, wings, horns, the usual, and make the boobs huge and styled after a boobjob surgeon's wedream? Also name the game something highly Japanesey by adding Sakura or something similar to it? I can see the dollar signs already.
>>
>>140998458
>stays true to Japanese roots
>plays the tropes right
>art has no flaws
>perfect atmoshpere
>that soundtrack
>>
>>140998589
>But then you wouldn't be on /evn/
I happen to love anime titty games, thanks much.
>>
>>140999209
No, they love realism. They don't like it when it's Japanese.
>>
>>140999312
>art has no flaws
It's hard to have flaws when you use such a generic style. The faces are basically cut and paste, mix and match. The body is 80% covered by the tits.
>>
>>140999543
>They don't like it when it's Japanese.
That's obvious bullshit. If you're going to lie make it less obvious.
>>
>>140995715
I was just listing off the literal most recent releases on VNDB. Brilliant Shadows was ages ago
>>
>>140996236
>Even the shittiest pixel platformers can easily sell 10k copies.
Honey. You are sadly mistaken. Every now and then we get these big news stories about a group of enthusiastic indies who got together and spent a ton of money making a platformer and then sold about two hundred copies.

They manage a few more after the boo-hoo article, of course, but the fact remains. It's absolutely not true that even the shittiest platformer sells 10K, or even that all mediocre platformers sell 10K. Honestly, mediocre VNs do surprisingly well.

Of course, it's hard to track legitimate sales these days because the absolute DREG games on Steam whore themselves out to Indiegala and Groupees and what-have-you to "sell" thousands of copies of their games in a bundle for $50 total, a week after the steam launch, because they've just realised nobody is going to buy their crap. So yes, there are some games tatht look like actual shit crawled out of the sewer that will show a high owner count, but not because people bought them.
>>
So if I just want to make money off of people like >>140999312
I should just copy Sakura Angels and games like that? I don't care about making a good VN that no one will play, I just want to make people give me as much money as possible for the least amount of work possible. It seems like boobie games are the only VNs that really sell.
>>
>>141000671
>Honestly, mediocre VNs do surprisingly well.
You might be mostly right about your post, but I am absolutely not buying that part. Steamspy is the most honest metric we have to go by.
>>
>>141000932
>caring about steam
Not all EVNs are on there.
>>
>>140997770
>That makes me sad. We have to rely on being as close to animu as possible to even have a chance at being marketable.

Do you know how to logic even slightly? Someone asked for an example of an anime-style game that did well. One was provided. Suddenly you say "Oh, I guess a game has to have manga art to have a chance at being marketable, sob sob"

So HRP raised 50K on kickstarter. Coming Out On Top raised 40K and it's not standard anime. 50K isn't even much money once a game starts selling. You can't grab some random data point and spin an entire conspiracy theory out of it.
>>
>>140999312
The art is generic garbage designed to be a pre-teen's first wet dream before they realize there's way better stuff out there. Acquire some taste you pleb.
>>
>>141000932
I don't think you understand what I mean by surprisingly well. I mean you can track that not-very-good VNs are still selling a thousand copies or two, without even involving bundles.

That's easy money, for a shit game.

It's hardly a hit but it's still 'surprisingly well'.
>>
>>141000672
>It seems like boobie games are the only VNs that really sell.

>I did my entire business model research by asking a 4chan thread what game sold the most and taking their word for it
>>
>>141000672
>It seems like boobie games are the only VNs that really sell.
All you need is some good old fashioned sex. Tits aren't mandatory.
>>
>>141001070
>>141001153
Yeah, because since they aren't on Steam they are making tons of money right? Must be nice living in fantasy land.

>>141001284
You do realize you have to pay Steam fees, taxes, and it's a royal pain in the ass to deal with that stuff right? 2,000 sales for something someone made in a couple hours spare time or barely spent any time on at a few bucks a sale is alright. Something selling 2,000 copies or less that someone actually spent time and effort on for a couple bucks or less is nothing. McDonalds would make you a millionaire in comparison.
>>
>>141001405
What do you consider to be the most successful EVNs popularity wise?
>>
>>141001405
You're silly if you think I'm basing anything on the opinions found here. I'm only adding them to my knowledgebase. You'd be surprised how small the audience for EVNs is.

>Tits aren't mandatory.
Not sure I can agree with that. Sales and people talking say otherwise.
>>
>>141001701
Katawa Shoujo
>>
>>141001430
If I sell a porn game with the sex scenes removed on steam and promote their addition via a download, does that really help boost sales?
>>
>>141001728
A BL game just raised $39k on Kickstarter.
>>
>>141001776
Not if it doesn't have tits. The tits all over the images and cover are what make people want the sex in the first place.

>>141001750
0 dollars earned. Yes, free games are surprisingly popular.
>>
>>141001560
>You do realize you have to pay Steam fees, taxes, and it's a royal pain in the ass to deal with that stuff right?

???

Steam deducts their cut before they pay you. You have to pay your taxes, yes, but you have to pay your taxes whatever job you have. I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'royal pain in the ass'.

>2,000 sales for something someone made in a couple hours spare time or barely spent any time on at a few bucks a sale is alright.

To the best of my knowledge the average price is $10, maybe around $7 after Steam's cut. 2000 copies times $7 is certainly not a good job's income, but if you make the game in a couple months of your spare time, it's not so bad.
>>
>>141001876
Link please.
>>
>>141002029
>you have to pay your taxes
NOT
CONSTITUTIONALLY
AUTHORIZED
>>
>>141001728
>You'd be surprised how small the audience for EVNs is.
At least 500,000 players. Small compared to what console games need to sell, but I can live with it.
>>
>>141002047
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11313010/seiyuu-danshi-english-bl-yaoi-dating-sim-visual-no
>>
>>141001876
SD was generic anime trash, though. Unless the final product is dramatically better than the demo, it's going to be the sakura of BL.
>>
>>141002164
>500,000
Source?
>>
>>141002029
Um.. You don't choose the price point that you sell your game at. Steam does. Also that steam cut is a whopping %30.
>>
>>141002241
Are you literally incapable of doing anything but being spoonfed? Where do you THINK those numbers might be coming from? Hint: publicly available data.
>>
>>141002408
So steam? Inaccurate data.
>>
>>141002164
Yet somehow none of them buy EVNs on steam, and a very very small subset of those people actually discuss them online. Hm, something seems weird about that figure. You do know I said EVN, not just VN in general?
>>
>>141002392
>You don't choose the price point that you sell your game at. Steam does.
This is completely untrue, where did you hear that?

Remember when Snow Light decided to set the price of their awful game to $99? Do you think that was Steam's idea?
>>
>>141002195
The point is you don't need tits to sell. Not a shiny balloon breasted creature in sight.
>>
>>141002592
Yeah, you need pretty boys. Nothing but pretty boys in sight.
>>
>>141002189
Fine, boobs, boy boobs and abs then.
>>
>>141002592
you need tits or dicks, it's the same idea.
>>
>>141002521
>Yet somehow none of them buy EVNs on steam

I am literally talking about EVN players on Steam
>>
>this is what /evn/ has come to
Feels good to not have to know who's behind the scenes when I play vns
>>
>>141002492
All data is inaccurate.

It baffles me that people are so invested in spouting nonsense. Is this some secret plan to try and drive out the competition, or a defense mechanism to protect your own poor reception, or what?
>>
>>141002560
I meant to say steam gives you a figure for what your price should be set at. If you choose to go over that, it's your own fault when your games don't sell.

Also that is true, it's from reading articles from devs who have sold their games on Steam.
>>
>>141002164
And how many of those are normies who bought a Sakura game ironically or have only played a couple EVNs because a friend told them it was a good game? I don't think you can count those people as a consistent audience.
>>
>>141002592
Yet... When I go to the campaign page and scroll down what do I see...

Guys with no shirts...

Abs popping out all over the place...

My eyes were practically gouged out by the sharpness of those damned abs.
>>
>>141003012
Not sure what that has to do with it being supposedly so hard to sell on Steam then, if all you meant is that they give you helpful pricing advice.
>>
>>141002726
Oh, that's nice. So go ahead and link me to some EVNs that have sold even 1/2 of that fanbase. A measly 250,000 copies on any EVN. Surely you can do that right? Or maybe just 100,000 copies. I'll take 1/5th of that fanbase. How come most EVNs on steam are 2k sales or less? That makes zero sense to have data like that and claim there are 500,000 people on steam right now that would love to play a nice EVN. Even as a joke number that isn't funny.
>>
Clearly the only way to succeed is to make a VN about pigeons with big tits AND big dicks, and have it published by Sekai Project.

Any other business plan is inherently flawed and doomed to failure. You may as well give up now.
>>
>>141003374
Are you serious? We're that unpopular? We should really do something about that.

Why doesn't every one work together on promoting the growth of EVNs? There's nothing wrong with having a dev team, but a group of teams could hold a great campaign that could potentially attract more people to the genre.
>>
>>141003374
>spoonfeed me
>spoonfeed me
>wah
>so hungry
>>
>>141003821
>Are you serious? We're that unpopular?
You are replying to a poster who openly admits to knowing nothing about the market.

Why the fuck are you pretending like he knows anything? Why the fuck are you pretending like I know anything either? Look at the godddamned public data!
>>
>>141004073
Boohoo, he doesn't know anything! EVNs are making huge money!

No they're not. It doesn't take a market expert to know that. It doesn't even take anyone educated.

>>141003919
I asked because I know you don't have an answer dipshit. There is no way you can answer because it isn't true. I don't need you to spoonfeed me, I need you to prove that what you said isn't bullshit, which it is. So I jabbed at you to get you to admit that you're an idiot. No surprise on the greentext of avoidance.
>>
>>141001750
Has sex and was free.
>>
>>141004458
Honestly I agree with you now but I wonder how things will change in another year or so once the dev cycle of games that started after or during the Kickstarter boom start to be released. I don't think many will reach anything a hundred k, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some sell upwards of 10k copies
>>
>>141001885
People always want sex. You just need sex appeal, which isn't limited to huge tits.
Unteralterbach certainly didn't become incredibly popular because of huge tits.
>>
>>141004458
> There is no way you can answer because it isn't true.

Long Live The Queen and Sakura Spirit have both sold over 250,000 copies. It takes three seconds to find that out. Sakura Angels is around 100K and that was already mentioned in this thread to which you are replying and not reading.

They are outliers. Most EVNs do not sell that well.

However, when one refers to the size of the market, you generally mean the size of the potential market, NOT the number of people who can be guaranteed to buy any dogshit the day it comes out no questions asked. And if you want the size of the POTENTIAL market, the most interesting figure is the install base for Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius.

Yes, that's a free game, it didn't sell those copies. It does, however, demonstrate that there are at least that many people on Steam who are potentially interested.

Also, fuck you.
>>
>>141004640
>I wouldn't be surprised to see some sell upwards of 10k copies
Have you looked at how many games have already sold upwards of 10K copies?
>>
>>141004862
Not the person you're responding to, but I think it's worth noting that LLTQ and S:MoA also have gameplay aside from strict VN-ness. Yeah, the quality is debatable, but it's still a selling point.

Sakura Spirit is literally a meme, which helps its case.
>>
>>141005071
This is true.

And the biggest winner is if you have both gameplay and tits. See: HuniePop.
>>
>>141002834
>this is what /evn/ has come to
We've always been shit. This is not a new development.
>>
>>141005315
Really, I don't see why more people here don't try cloning HuniePop. It doesn't have to be Bejeweled exactly. Just... get some gameplay, add cute girls, whittle your story down to the essentials but make it more interesting than just plain "wanna fuck?" and you could have a bonanza.
>>
>>141005520
Frontwing, a major Japanese developer (made Grisaia) is already doing that. Look up "Purine Party." I'm too lazy to bypass the spam filter.
>>
>>141005829
Maybe after Japan does it we'll think it's cool enough to copy
>>
>>141005520
I don't see a point in adding gameplay if it's completely unrelated to sex, the story, or the characters. Huniepop is just a puzzle game mashed with a higher budget newgrounds dating sim. I'm surprised so many people seem to like it, even without factoring in the questionable characters.
>>
>>141005520
The devs here are off lazying with something, I swear.

>years to make a game
>with fucking just text and assets made by artist within a month

I literally do not know what the fuck you guys are doing, but you guys are slow as fuck.
>>
>>141006683
I'm adding gameplay to the point where I'm not even sure if it qualifies as a VN, and I'm doing it all by myself. Have mercy.
>>
>>141007135
For it to qualify as a VN, just call it a VN. Done deal.

It's like artistic freedom.
>>
How do you tell your artist their CG sucks and they need to redraw it without coming off as an asshole and making them leave?
>>
>>141008636
Tell them what's messed up. It can't completely suck, if it does, that means you hired a bad artist and that's all on you.
>>
>>141008636
Post it, and we shall come up with a suitably eloquent and reassuring statement for you to relay back to them.
>>
>>141005520
Huniepop actually has a emphasis on gameplay and it's simple but addictive with quite a bit more depth if you're going for challenge runs. Any hack can make a shitty Bejeweled clone, but to make a fun one is a different story.

>>141005969
The characters are fine and even nuanced, but the real issue is that there's no story. Huniepop was originally presented as a dating sim/visual novel, but in the end its basically a porno puzzler.

I mean, it's a really fucking great puzzle game that has tons of depth to it, but yeah.
>>
File: 1425257791917.jpg (25KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1425257791917.jpg
25KB, 400x462px
>>141008895
>The characters are fine and even nuanced
>it's a really fucking great puzzle game that has tons of depth to it
>>
>>141004667
Don't you dare bring up that god forsaken pedo game in the sanctity of 4chan.
>>
>>141011374
It's hard not to when it's the reigning champion of EVNs.
>>
>>141004862
>Long Live The Queen
Why is it that LLTQ can sell so many copies and completely dwarf nearly every game since it came out? Where did all those purchasers go?
>>
>>141011646
Normies play LLTQ
So figure it out.
>>
>>141004862
RO private servers have had hundreds of thousands of players. Ragnarok Online didn't see a cent for most of them. They're called Brazilian freeloading scum. Counting them and their ilk in a potential userbase is retarded.

Also, fuck you back.
>>
>>141011646
It's far more mechanically complex than your standard VN for starters.
>>
>>141011610
Based on what? Your raging pedo boner? I wouldn't call that a sound metric.
>>
>>141011927
>mechanically complex
It's literally trial-and-error raise X stat to not die.
>>
>>141012085
And?
>>
>>141012146
It's no more mechanically complex than a dating sim or regular visual novel where you pick choices to get a desired outcome.
>>
>>141011982
Have you played it?
>>
>>141012085
>It's literally trial-and-error raise X stat to not die.
Wow, it's almost like that's the most basic of a mechanic.
>>
>>141011927
Judging by the screenshots and the video it doesn't seem that complex. What is complex about it? The stats? Don't many VNs have stats and such? That still doesn't explain the overwhelming success. It makes no sense to me. Everything about it looks pretty generic from the outside. Maybe it was the narrator dude's voice.
>>
>>141012280
Dating sim, sure. Standard visual novel? Absolutely not.
>>
>>141011646
>>141011812
Name one other EVN that totalbiscuit has done on Youtube.
>>
>>141013470
Why the fuck would I know?
>>
How do I get normies and TB to play my EVN?
>>
>>141014120
Innovate the genre.

Play it risky all the time.

Pump out games every 3 months.

The more games you have, the more exposure to your existence.

The more people know about you, they'll start talking, even if you're trash.

Any kind of publicity is good publicity.

Take advantage of it.

Perhaps aim at niches then gradually group up more people as you get more known.

Learn how to make kick ass trailers.

Be a good guy.
>>
>>141011982
Think what you will about lolis, but it's hard to argue against how polished and impressive it is. Especially considering the guy made everything himself in under two years.
>>
you have 5 seconds to name the evn that's going to sell 500k copies and revolutionize the industry
>>
>>141015480
>tfw no tablet
>have to use paper and scan it
>have to render with mouse
I want to join his ranks as a yes-dev.
>>
>>141014120
Find the cure for cancer
>>
>Make a free game
>People complain the budget is too low
>Try to charge peanuts from your game
>Everyone pirates it anyways.

This is why /evn/ is shit.
>>
>>141015520
Pages of Citrus
>>
>>141015520
the human reignition project desu senpai
>>
>>141015520
Dark Dirt
>>
>>141015636
Why bother, continue to make more games and show them that it doesn't matter how low a budget is.
>>
>>141015738
What is that some kind of Kiznaiver clone?
>>
>>141015609
I did already in my VN.

It's happiness.
>>
>>141016113
are you just making words up now
>>
>>141016113
Yes, it's a clone of something that didn't even exist when it was started.
>>
>>141016113
The fact that you don't know it, just goes to show how bad it is going for them since they've been in development for a while.
>>
>>141016740
Not that I'm defending them, but saying you're doing badly because a random on the internet hasn't heard of you is silly.
>>
>>141015607
You'll need more than a tablet
>>
>>141017367
It's almost as if people around here want it to do badly. Envy is an ugly thing.
>>
>>141019476
>y-you're all just jealous
>>
>>141019476
I think people are still butthurt about their selling point being that they're aren't like those other shitty evn, and then proceeding to have all the problems of said other evn.
>>
You guys think a long, plot intensive and (hopefully) well written VN would benefit from added tits and torrid sex?
Or that would alienate both those genuinely interested in the plot and the ones who only care about "PLOT"?
>>
>>141023384
literally why add something that you a) obviously don't want to b) wouldn't improve the work in any way
you're not a JVN dev, don't have to shoehorn some good old mollusk action because your audience aren't quite as degenerate
>>
>>141024519
>your audience aren't quite as degenerate
That is highly debatable.
>>
>>141024659
my post is poorly phrased, I meant to say that western devs don't necessarily feel the need to make every VN an eroge for otaku appeal and aping JVNs in this regard is silly
>>
>>141024519
>quite as degenerate
Have you ever seen a weaboo?
>>
>>141024519
The thing is... I actually want to do it, but as I say, the sex is really not the main point and the average wanker would have to wade through 10+ hours of world building and char development to get them, only to find the real story has just kicked in, which undertandably might not be what this demographic is looking for.

I could refrain from because I know the story won't suffer too much from it... but I'd prefer putting it in. Unless that makes the sales bomb between the "mature/serious/holier-than-thou" demographic.
>>
>>141025165
>but I'd prefer putting it in.
>>
>>141025206
Oh my, unintended pun ;^)
>>
>>141025165
I give you my permission and blessing.
>>
I feel like what I'm writing is shit.

Where do I go to get shmucks to test-read my shit and give me feedback?
>>
>>141027898
Post it here, of course.
>>
>>141028143
No, you guys just troll and shitpost writing dumps from what I understand.
>>
>>141028215
Then fuck off to lemmasoft or tumblr. If you want a pat on the back and a hug, this isn't the place for you.
We're serious here.
We chase tracers.
We sell games.
We're anonymoose.
We're legion.
We do not trace.
>>
>>141028215
>>141028324
>fuck off to lemmasoft or tumblr.
This.
99 of 100 comments on lemma are: "I like your art" or "Your art is beautiful" or "I like the premise" or "Can't wait to play your game".
>>
>>141028518
the last 1 of 100 is Taleweaver bitching about something.
>>
File: 1431316185354.jpg (158KB, 508x590px) Image search: [Google]
1431316185354.jpg
158KB, 508x590px
>>141028324
I don't care if you criticize my stuff as long as it's constructive.
>>
>>141028630
Then post it fagit.
>>
>>141028518
Uh. Dis is actually good. I can use lemma to raise my spirits and evn whenever I want to actually improve my writing. Only 1 out of 10 posts would offer valid points and not just shit based on their personal tastes, but still.
>>
File: 1434349862433.jpg (42KB, 605x454px) Image search: [Google]
1434349862433.jpg
42KB, 605x454px
>>141028686
I changed my mind, but thanks anyways.
>>
>>141028215
That's not true, but you haven't actually been in these threads long enough to know.
>>
>>141029179
Pussy.
Now I can say your writing is shit, since you can't prove otherwise.
>>
File: 1431407208610.png (169KB, 723x475px) Image search: [Google]
1431407208610.png
169KB, 723x475px
>>141029361
That's not how it works, friendo.
>>
>>141029405
Is this art for saint-bl vn ?
>>
File: 53671.jpg (189KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
53671.jpg
189KB, 800x600px
>>
>>141031679
Gaaaaay.
>>
>>141016584
Woah, you don't know that time traveling wasn't involved.
>>
File: 53695.jpg (134KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
53695.jpg
134KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>141029506
it's a metastatic /pol/ meme, stay away
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vogue/dont-forget-our-esports-dream-a-starcraft-visual-n

Will it make it? Place your bets now.
>>
>>141040062
I think it will.
>>
>>141040062
I want to bully vogue
>>
page10
>>
>>140984301
please repost it
>>
Given Selenon Rising, how easy is it, in your experience, to clone Dangit Ronpaul? I'm asking as a coder with very little experience.
>>
>>141045429
So you are basically asking us EU to shitpost just to keep the thread bumped until murrican wageslave release time?
And then you'll have an excuse to complain about poor quality posts. There is no pleasing you guys.
>>
>>141045950
>So you are basically asking us
No, I'm not asking anything, I'm just bumping.
You little arrogant prick.
>>
>>141046098
Ah, so tsun tsun. I like you.
>>
>>141045921
>coder with very little experience.
No one likes your kind.
The only thing you can do is:
-Ruin someone's game
-Call yourself a "real coder with a lot of "evn" experience", after ruining someone's game.
>>
>>141046276
>Ah, so
racist
>>
>>141046407
Yeah, I dealt with one and didn't like him much either.
>>
>>141045921
well,
>clicking on shit to gather evidence - easy
>inventory, notes, etc - easy
>dynamic court room talks - easy
>mini-games (debates, hangman, panic talk etc) - eh ranging from quite easy to moderately hard
talking about renpy here fo course, no idea about unity
you might want to take a look and Y;N The Adventure Game to see how they implemented some AA-esque elements
>>
>>141046984
Will do! Thanks for answering my question, I'll take a look at that. Yeah, this is gonna be ren'py through and through.
>>
>>141046416
Now you are just mean
>>
>>141047557
I like to make people cry and then soothe them, it is my fetish
>>
>>140979965
Can you steal the deaf guy's hearing aid then NTR him right behind him?
>>
>>141047195
Your biggest problem is just going to be getting decent art. And the walkaround 3d, if you wanted that part.

What a lot of this stuff comes down to is artistic vision and finding a good way to obscure any technical weaknesses from the player, while juicing up the interactions that they DO have so that they feel cool and rewarding.
>>
>>141048754
I can see how you might find it kinky to steal the deaf guy's girlfriend right behind him as a male protag, but with a female protagonist, I'm not sure why she'd date him and then set out to intentionally try to fuck behind his back.

Maybe some sort of rape scenario where she's afraid to get his attention? Perhaps he can only see her upper half shuddering and can't see what's being done TO her, and she struggles to keep her face still so he can't read it?
>>
>>141048917
The walkaround is not that terrible. I don't know about unity, but you can literally do that in less than a week in jmonkey using some basic blender models and a few free textures. The difficult part would be adapting one of those proper game engines to do all the other VN specific things that are automated in renpy.
>>
>>141048917
>And the walkaround 3d, if you wanted that part.
Yeah, that's not happening, I'd rather focus on a more traditional point n click adventure for those parts because I know

>getting decent art
Will be the biggest challenge already, I don't need to add onto my asset woes of sprites, backgrounds, and CGs.
>>
>>141049269
>but with a female protagonist, I'm not sure why she'd date him and then set out to intentionally try to fuck behind his back
>>
>>141049734
Were you going to comment?
>>
>>141049615
learn to draw cute girls, read uncle Mugen tutorials to make fast and cheap BG or/and hire someone.
>>
>>141049883
>read uncle Mugen tutorials to make fast and cheap BG
Almost assuredly what I'll do because I know my skill level for drawing cuties is way too low right now.
>>
>>141049875
That's my wife's fetish
>>
>>141050284
>>>/tv/
>>
>>141050284
>wife
You've had years to disappoint her and drive her to seek solace elsewhere! Totally different situation.
>>
>>140987103
Then with illustrators for books.
>>
>>141051358
Illustrators tend to do like three pictures and call it a day. On the other hand, comic book artists work much harder than VN artists. It's a unique category here.
>>
>>141011646
This is like the World of Warcraft problem. Traditional marketing suggests that if people like World of Warcraft, they should like something which is similar to World of Warcraft, and it's possible to compete away that market. But the fact is, with video games, people don't necessarily want something like it but not it. Long Live the Queen built up its popularity through a critical mass of marketing and name recognition via being a novel thing that harkens back to things that could be called "retro" and nerdy in a trendy sense. It's also a very well-done and high quality example of what it is. That means it drew in people from the general market (normalfags) who were interested in dipping their toes into this specific case. It doesn't mean that they're general VN customers, or that they have any real interest in the general VN market.

tl;dr: LLtQ is a meme game.
>>
>>141029405
Yes it is. The writers who produce nothing are the worst writers of all.
>>
>>141040062
My math says it's trending to just barely fail. Which is a shame. It's a good enough project that it really does deserve some funding. If they can get some last minute marketing boost it'll make it.
>>
>>141040062
>no sekai project
failure
>>
>>141052323
I have never worked with a VN artist who could do more than three good pictures in a day.
>>
>>141053194
>three good pictures in a day
Those third worlders are something else.
>>
I don't see Rising Angels Hope on Steamspy anymore. I wonder if it just dropped off on its own, or if it was delisted due to showing how poorly it sold.
>>
>>141056147
I see it just fine.
>>
>>141056330
Weird, it wasn't listed with the rest of Sekai's releases anymore at http://steamspy.com/dev/Sekai+Project.
>>
>>141056692
It's because SteamSpy can't confirm numbers because of how poorly it is doing. It puts it into a limbo state when they can't confirm.
>>
>>141057196
the evns are dyin', Cloud!
>>
>>141053194
Sorry, I meant 'call it a day' as in that's the entire amount they do for the book, total
>>
>>141052948
Just-barely-fail usually means "will definitely make it at the last minute when the dev kicks in out of pocket, or nags someone else into doing it"
>>
>>140939675
What sites? Polygon and Siliconera?
>>
>>140974496
What plots have you came up with?
Where are you recruiting these free writers from?
>>
>>141059628
from the curb
>>
https://dischan.co/blog/dismae
New engine by Dischan.
>>
>>141063324
>getting our hopes up needlessly

That's not a new engine. That's a post about maybe sort of possibly in the future building a new engine and here is my Hello World implementation.

It's the foundation for what might someday be an engine, if dischan were capable of finishing anything, ever.
>>
>>141063324
>New engine
AHahahhahaHAHHAhahahahhahhaha
ahhahahahahAHHAhahHAHA
HAhahhahahahhAhahHAHAhahaha
>>
>>141063580
>maybe sort of possibly in the future
Dischan in a nutshell. It's all talk. He tried to reform the group last year and it didn't pan out then either.
>>
>>141059404
Kotaku, RPS and a bunch.
>>
>>141064324
What game?
>>
>>141064397
Cavern Kings. Not an EVN, but also by a no-name dev with us having no budget to promote the KS.
>>
>>141064549

Surely you see the difference between getting sites to cover a rogue-like and getting them to cover a visual novel (non-ironically, at least).
>>
>>141064889
Nope, because those sites also cover their fair share of VNs and are very indie-friendly. So long as you have a good looking project they think it's worth showing because it will appeal to their market, they'll run an article. Presentation is everything.
>>
>>141065068
>So long as you have a good looking project
Well, there's the problem, then.
>>
Here's a sketch, can I have $4k?
>>
>>141067767

ugh, that face is too small for her body. Either that, or her tits are saggy as fuck.
>>
>>141067767
>literally telling you in the description "you have quite the interesting girl"
There's bad writing and then there's this.
>>
>>141067767
>Yume
>Ai
>Jung
gee can't lay it on thick enough, can we
>>
>>141067767
Hate korean names.
Will report your kickstarter
>>
>>141070246
Racist
>>
>>141073461
It's not racist. Korean is a truly ugly language.
>>
>>141073585
This guy is right.
>>
>>141067767
Oh shit. This is actually a thing.
https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=38404
Hurry! Someone call Taleweaver. They posted kickstarter link without a demo !
>>
>>141074747
>that question section
Probably should've figured that out before you launched the KS, dude
>>
>>141074747
> doesn't even have an artist on board

look at them, look and them and laugh.
>>
>>141074747
Nice, kickstarter link without a CG artist.
>>
>>141074747
Shit is still up.
I will start my own thread with my kickstarter now.
>>
>>141042031

d-dame!
>>
>>141079350
They released a previous game though, so it may not be technically against the rules
>>
>>141081704
I've made 5min long VN, 5 years ago. According to you, I can start my thread.
>>
>>141053896
Are they really? I've been hesitant to hire one since they might be a shit person.
>>
>>141082536
Is it morning in murrica already? Time to go to bed then.
>>
>>141082273
He said released, not made.
>>
>>141082760
It's 3 PM here in Canada, been morning there for awhile, bro.
>>
>>141082273
All I said was that I know threads have been allowed in the past if there was a previous release, so if the mods DON'T take it down that might be why.
>>
>>141074747
>14% Story progress

Not only do I think it's too early for a Kickstarter, I feel it's too early for a WiP thread.
>>
>>141087682
no wonder they don't have an artist yet.
>>
>>141087682
How do you even measure % of story progress?
You think like "oh, I've gotta make a vn with 50 000 words, and I've got 5000, that's just about 10%!"
>>
>>141088476
Well, you might have an outline first and be talking about the percentage of outline you've converted to real text?
>>
i cant believe i wrote 70k words about getting cucked!
>>
>>141089185
hi anthony burch
>>
>>141045602
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qeq2YeSUsN0ua_8ieJLSTYcoXhHNUU6C6MWK24ANJ1c
Averages at the bottom.
>>
>>
>>141067767
Something about that bio just sounds awful to me, but I can't put my finger on it.
>>
>>141067767
>these responses
It's no wonder people are scared to post here, jesus.
>>
>>141095618
He looks like a serial killer whose skin is falling off his arms.
>>
>>141095618
yaoi hands
>>
>>141095618
what the FUCK happened to the best free?
>>
>>141098550
That's what life does to you, man.
>>
>>141098550
That's not Gou, anon.
>>
>>141095797
It rhymes with very few. Just like her flaws.
>>
yo did anyone play Ace Academy?
>>
>>141096528
Why? It was pretty obviously not posted by the actual dev, it was posted as bait.
>>
Don't die
>>
>>141103071
Does that really matter?
>>
>>141101969
I'm waiting for it to be out of Early Access.
>>
>>141106232
You expect us to be a hugbox to not-even-half-an-ass attempts at begging for money, from people who aren't even HERE?

Yes, I think it makes a difference. When people are relentlessly nasty to a poster who's asking for feedback, they make this board less useful. If they have to be so insipid that they can't criticise something blatantly stupid, it's also not useful.
>>
>>141092291
Thanks!
>>
Would it be offputting having a story that introduces a deuteroganist, ie. The love interest about halfway through?
>>
File: Empty-Wallet.jpg (289KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
Empty-Wallet.jpg
289KB, 849x565px
>>141092291
It shouldn't hurt this much, but it does anyway.
>>
>>141107204
>You expect us to be a hugbox
A groundless assumption. Nobody here is expecting a hugbox, and if they were they don't last long. Hugboxes hinder development, but so does the opposite which is what I see here far more often than not. Both extremes are detrimental, find some middle ground.

>When people are relentlessly nasty to a poster who's asking for feedback, they make this board less useful.
And you think people are going to feel comfortable asking for feedback when they come in and see people trashing and laughing at the failures of others? This is a general where if you praise something, you have a good chance of being labeled a shill and the work you praised insulted. Considering there have been only 44 posters over the span of a few days in this thread, we're lucky to see anyone with the balls to share some of their stuff.
>>
>>141110343
we have plenty of usual progress posters, they just happen to be busy right now.
>>
>>141111416
I'm not saying there's nobody who posts progress, just that people would be more inclined to do so if they didn't automatically assume that their work will be shit on.

I can only think of a few people who have directly posted progress themselves more than once in the last couple of months.

ML
SC2VN
>>140959189
Locked Souls
Yuri Rance
And Loli Incest

There must be more, but that's all I remember right now. Who am I missing?
>>
dear h-scene developers, please consider that my hands may be busy and nowhere near the keyboard, and do not require me to drop everything to come back and choose 'come inside' / 'come outside' when I was enjoying a nice handsfree autoplay scene

there has to be another way, like a default preference in options or something
>>
>>141113510
>hands
What are you doing with the other one?
>>
>>141113881
Gripping the mattress.
>>
File: option.png (4KB, 590x65px) Image search: [Google]
option.png
4KB, 590x65px
>>141113510
Good games have that in the options.

Who knows why it's an option, though, because if you don't come inside what's even the point?
>>
>>141110343
Man, you hit it right in head. Now I'm wondering what's really the purpose of this general.
>>
>>141117719
The purpose is just to let of steam about shit, I guess.
>>
>>141117719
Discussion about the making or playing of English Visual Novels, save for the ones from /ksg/, or games released originally in Japanese.
>>
>>140992354
Pssst... secret. Everyone will be able to look at your files if they care enough. Any popular engine will have an unpacker for it in no-time. No format is safe.
>>
File: muh dick.png (827KB, 957x2455px) Image search: [Google]
muh dick.png
827KB, 957x2455px
Why do I want to fuck their side characters so much?
>>
>>141122053
It's okay, I wanna fuck her too
>>
>>141122053
You have terrible tastes.
>>
>>141122053
>that nose
>that line quality
>that coloring quality
>that hand
>>
>>141128432
What is this, /ic/?
>>
>>141128432
>that nose

so you can tell time

>>141128432
>that hand

think about how big your dick will look
>>
File: 1462424868856.png (931KB, 957x2455px) Image search: [Google]
1462424868856.png
931KB, 957x2455px
>>141130534
No, I can't even draw
>>
File: 1376202332423.png (123KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1376202332423.png
123KB, 300x300px
>>141063924
>Dischan in a nutshell. It's all talk. He tried to reform the group last year and it didn't pan out then either.
That would be because Dani is a sociopath who uses and dumps people for his Vision. He sees people as tools, not teams. I feel sorry for everyone he's fucked over, and nobody - nobody - he's worked with has deserved the treatment.

Feeling a little scootenfroody at his bumbling attempts to try and draw water from the well he's poisoned.
>>
>>141063324
all i see is a 502 gateway error
>>
>>141114553
I'll make a VN where you always come inside no choices given. Anything else is heresy.
>>
I'll make a vn about keeping this place alive.
It'll be the most boring vn ever.
>>
>>141138836
no, it'll have a hook, just sho the hell is that one anon that always bumps the thread when it reaches page 10 with the same phrase??? And then he disappears, thread is about to die, and a group of bumbling neets decides to embark on an adventure to find him.
>>
>>141141054
Wow. You just... oh man, this is actually a nice idea. If I tweak it a little it could easily become the starting point of chapter 7.
>>
File: yandere-chan-5.png (631KB, 1184x657px) Image search: [Google]
yandere-chan-5.png
631KB, 1184x657px
Mia best yandere
>>
>>141109171
Don't forget that you may have to pay four background artsits to do the work in order to find ONE who won't just take the money and run
>>
>>141145220
If only there were artists who could believably insist that they always get their work done on time, the same way that the musicians in the thread react when we insult their honor
>>
>>141145220
>>141146846
Oh, tortured writers are here again.
>>
>>141147882
Maybe it's worse. Maybe he's a manager.
>>
>>141141947
I expect royalties my man
>>
>>141148136
Or an idea guy double tasking as a manager.
>>
>>141147882

I shrillscreamed, riven by the gnarled, milky claws of The Artist. It's fetid limbs forced their way into my ragged pants, through to my slender wallet. Retching in triumph, it tore open its prize, my few, hard earned coins spilling like crumbs to the unforgiving stone.

"You'll draw the backgrounds now, won't you?"

My plea was met with only wet, mucoid laughter, as the artist dissolved into the stuff broken promises are made of. As its final residue oozed between the cracks, I heard a voice like chopped worms writhe in my brain.

"I'll definitely have it done by next week!"
>>
>>141145220
>who won't just take the money and run

Wait, aren't we suppose to finish the job and THEN take the money?
>>
>>141149712

You have a fine grasp of the basics of capitalism.

Clearly you're ineligible to become a true artist.
>>
>>141132165
Did you have experience with him?
>>
>>141145220
>once dealt with an artist who drew three (!) backgrounds when we needed 20, then bolted and keeps insisting even now, long after we replaced him, that he'll draw again, just "he has a busy schedule"
Maybe you should free up your schedule so you can focus on things, you lazy fuck.
>>
>>141151813
>hire third worlders for a spare change
>cry like a bitch
If you gonna cry like a bitch, you're getting slapped like a bitch.
>>
>>141148324
I'll probably include a special thanks section in which I commend /evn/ for their support... kind of. That's all I can promise.
>>
>>141152904
>third worlder
It's a first world guy.
>>
>>141152948
>>141152904
Third worlders doing their job to survive, while first worlders doing it just for the lulz, since you can live for unemployment payment
>>
>>141153276
>>141152948
>>141152904
Where is second world ?
>>
>>141153426
Aussie and Canuck shitposters.
>>
>>141149712
Many artists take payment at sketch stage and then fuck off.
>>
>>141154671
Are you for real?
>>
>>141148869
This is beautiful. I think we have a new Lovecraft on our hands.
>>
>Not bringing in mexicans across the border and teaching them to draw moeshit for green cards
>>
>>141154826
Go on, find a professional artist who will wait until everything is 100% done before expecting any payment at all.
>>
>>141155647
Better do it now, before Trump builds his wall.
>>
>>141155802

This reminds me how fucking annoying is that "passion project" post that's been going around on twitter/tumblr. I agree that no one has to work for free, but it's one big strawman post (hell, even the commissioner is drawn ugly!) and I've seen artist argue that they should retain their right... ha ha fuck no, you can't get both things. You either want upfront payment or you want rights.
>>
>>141156075
what
>>
File: tumblr_o6mo3v0FXG1s4q1vio3_1280.jpg (476KB, 955x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6mo3v0FXG1s4q1vio3_1280.jpg
476KB, 955x1920px
>>141156189

This thing. Like, imo you lose all legitimacy when you draw the people you're trying to correct like THAT.
>>
>>141156476
Yeah, it's ridiculous and insulting, not conducive to a good relationship at all.

If you don't want to work for profit-share and you only want upfront pay that's a valid way of working. Of course, there really are projects where you stand to earn a LOT more by signing on as a partner and taking a share of profits. That also comes with more risks. If you're not good at evaluating the risks, or if you CAN evaluate the risks and a project is too risky for you, don't do it, but don't brush it off as always wrong for everyone.
>>
Lishy's project had it's script restarted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4hwvox/how_has_steam_impacted_visual_novels/d2tju12
>>
>>141156075
>You either want upfront payment or you want rights.
Eh, depends. I reserve myself some rights even with upfront payment. If you don't agree with that, just find someone else. I have enough of a brand that I don't need to settle for every person that offers me a gig. I get more than enough with people who want to work with me and understand it's not cheap.
>>
>>141156896

Exactly. An artist with a good business sense could negotiate a profit share of a game and end up making more money than if paid upfront.

Hell, I'd argue that in reality, a lot of AAA artists would kill for a chance at profit share.
>>
>>141132165
He liked them enough to pay them salaries until the money ran out.
>>
>>141156896
>>141157646
>profit share
The only people who offer profit share are the ones who have never released shit and have no idea about it.
>>
>>141157646
>Hell, I'd argue that in reality, a lot of AAA artists would kill for a chance at profit share.
In addition to upfront? Yes. As a replacement, fuck no. Even if it's fucking Rockstar.
>>
>>141157858
I don't want to offer profit-share because the bookkeeping is a nightmare and also I like keeping all the money for myself.

If an artist wanted to be on board as a partner, I would expect more out of them than just drawing the list of assets I request.
>>
>>141158021
Like what, blowjobs?
>>
>>141153624
Commies. At least that was the original meaning, not sure if still applies today.
>>
>>141158150
Like playing the in-progress game and making suggestions for improvements on their own.
>>
File: sebastian_datesketch.png (916KB, 2004x1252px) Image search: [Google]
sebastian_datesketch.png
916KB, 2004x1252px
Posting progress. Sebastian remains the favorite of most people that played the demo, and it makes me both glad and a little bit concerned.
>>
>>141159341
gay
>>
>>141159504
on other news, water is wet.
>>
>>141159504
love won
>>
>>141160262
what if i want to love two or three at a time?
>>
>>141160828
Why wouldn't you? Love won, go nuts.
>>
>>141161064
it was a terrible pun, senpai
>>
File: screenshot0006.png (377KB, 916x687px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot0006.png
377KB, 916x687px
>>
>>141163457
>916x687
HOLY FUCK. Someone doesn't have widescreen yet ?
>>
>>141159332
Would you make sure they don't spend more time on the game than you?
>>
>>141156075
Just for your info, in case you want to hire people: if you hire anyone from Germany it's actually not possible for them to hand you all of the rights. It doesn't matter where you are.

As for having both rights and upfront payment: usually people work out things as they discuss their terms. Typically, if you want all rights to the pictures, you're going to pay more. If you can't pay that much, you and the artist can work out a different agreement. For example, you could get the rights for the pictures only for a limited amount of time, or they can sell prints (maybe only for some pictures, so the story isn't spoiled by going to their store) and so on and so forth. Noah Bradley has a lot of interesting info about this sort of agreement.
>>
>>141165116
Or you can say "Fuck off" to that artist, and find someone else.
Honestly, if you are getting paid, you need to stop arguing and bitching, unless you are godlike artist.
>>
>>141132165
>His vision
>Tried to reboot Cradle Song with an outside dev group and they left because all he talked about was how to monetize it.
>>
>>141166302
where'd you hear that?
>>
>>141113397
I'm >>140959189 and that is for the "yuri rance" project.
>>
>>141165625
>Honestly, if you are getting paid, you need to stop arguing and bitching, unless you are godlike artist.
shhhhh
show us where the artist bad touched you and made you so unreasonably triggered by the idea people aren't slaves
>>
>>141166496

I can't find the original tweets but last year a couple of the Salty Tears guys were talking about getting asked to remake the game but didn't like how the Kickstarter was being handled and other problems.
>>
>>141167610
Sounds like you think you are special and irreplaceable.
>>
>>141168181
Not him, but you sound like a retard or an edgy 13 yo.
>>
>>141168181
Not even implying anyone is irreplaceable, just that your feelings on the matter are very clearly clouding your judgement.
>>
>>141168181
>>141165625
There's a big problem with all the college vn "devs" here.
>>
>>141164483
I'm not running a punch-card cock
>>
>>141165625
Laying out your contract terms is not arguing and bitching.
Agreeing to terms and trying to change them later, then telling the artist to fuck off if they don't like it, on the other hand...
>>
It seems pretty straight-forward to me: artists can be awful and their clients can be awful.

i.e., people can be awful. Now let's all get naked and kiss and make up/out.
>>
>>141170626
No. I hate fags.
>>
and then I saw a job posting asking for someone to mimic the Sakura art style "as closely as possible"
>>
>>141170734
hehe ooo~ I'll be gentle~
>>
>>141170626
All artists are scumbags. In my entire life I haven't seen a non-shit artist. They're all full of themselves, have no humility and are horrible human beings in general.
>>
>>141171363
By far, the least skilled /evn/ goers are the trolls. Not even good at being subtle ^///^
>>
>>141171210
I'm looking forward to it.
>>
File: 1455922214672.jpg (165KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1455922214672.jpg
165KB, 439x550px
>>141171363
This is the truth. Every artist I met was like that when they are in their own circlejerk.
>>
>>141171513
It's easy to spot the "artist" here.
>>
>>141171513
It's the truth though. Can't count the number of artists who have supposedly died or didn't have internet, but kept updating their social media and were attempting to get more contract work.
>>
Dischan died forever ago it feels like and the guy behind it all just can't stop trying to string people along. It's not even the Dischan people remembered, since people were mostly interested in Doom's art.
>>
>>141167728

It was implied that the writing Dischan had done for it wasn't any good either.
>>
>>141172627
But we keep dignifying it by calling him by that name
>>
>>141154913
It's purple as fuck and clearly intentionally overdone.
>>
>>141175487
nobody can tell purple prose from good writing

its all subjective. kill yourself, writer
>>
>>141175487
Exactly. Lovecraft.
>>
>>141176356
earlier Lovecraft is fucking impossible to read, it's like he was writing a parody or something
>>
A Little Lily Princess' beta is out now. If I read about it right, you can buy it now.
>>
>>141178074
Buy what? Beta ?
>>
>>141175487
Meh, I have seen worse. At least you can read that in one go, without needing map and compass mid-sentence.
>>
page10
>>
bump bump
don't eat my post again 4chan
>>
>>141177629
I think it's charming. I find a lot of Lovecraft's stuff overblown and ridiculous, but it adds to the atmosphere. Maybe because it's so consistently overblown, and seems pretty earnest about it.
>>
>>141179708
The game's basically complete and it's cheaper at beta than at official launch, so if you care about getting the best price.
>>
>>141187994
Tell me about devs.
Should I support them, or should I pirate their game ?
>>
>>141188757
it depends on if they're a big guy
>>
Support all devs
except your team because they're jerks
>>
File: street_scene_full.png (561KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
street_scene_full.png
561KB, 800x450px
>>
>>141193489
looks slippery
>>
>>141193731
The better to bowl lolis with
>>
>>141193871
lolis are not for bowling
>>
>>141198083
What are they for then?
>>
>>141198371
Head patting, hand holding, earlobe nibbling and impregnating.
>>
>>141198943
The fuck man, they're not old enough to be a responsible mother yet.
>>
>>141199717
Even better. It means you'll have more control your future batch of lolis.
>>
>>141198083
You don't think it's fun to watch them roll around on the floor?
>>
>>141113881
One for the back and one for the front.
>>
>>141167565
Knew it seemed familiar, but I couldn't place who it was.
>>
>>141205268
What if it gets stuck in there?
>>
>>
>>141207937
Is this from Black Sands?
>>
>>141208705
Don't be silly. Baseball is a Russian inwention.
>>
>>141171363
>>141171620
Yet you'll still see artists post their stuff here despite knowing they're not going to hear anything pleasant.
A few scummy artists and those who can't handle criticism do not comprise all artists. The truly good ones are never satisfied and value both positive and negative feedback.
>>
File: 1462479842793.png (616KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
1462479842793.png
616KB, 1280x722px
>>141208797
You sure? Seems Black Sands to me
>>
>>141210513
You just think all blacks look alike.
>>
>>141210702
Not really, but I'm very bored.
>>
>>141210896
I admit I was mostly fishing for "Well, isn't that true?"
>>
>>141211186
That goes without saying.
>>
File: 65361.jpg (285KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
65361.jpg
285KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>141213652
The Arkh Project is looking good
>>
File: AwaF__Patch_Up.png (627KB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
AwaF__Patch_Up.png
627KB, 1067x600px
>>
Does anyone know about CC 3.0 licenses?

I found some music and it had this license:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/deed.en

The no derivative part confuses me.
Does that mean i can use the song in a project if i don't make any money off of it and source where i got the music, or is the music saying i can't reuse it anywhere and can only listen to the song for my own leisure?
>>
>>141215640
>Under CC licenses, synching music in timed relation with a moving image is always considered an adaptation, whether or not it would be considered so under applicable law.

No derivatives rules out use in a game, afaik. You can freely listen to the song yourself and redistribute it to others with credit to the original artist, but you can't use it as part of a project.
>>
>>141217195
Cool thanks
>>
>>141213652
Is the one on the right female?
>>
>>141219264
why does that matter bigot?
>>
>>141219264
The blond?

The appropriate question is: Is he gay or European?
>>
>>141219601
>Is he gay or European?
What's the difference?
>>
>>141219775
Gays at least had the courage to step out of the closet.
>>
>>
>>141219390
Back to >>tumblr
>>
File: tumblr_o6opd81vGd1rsl2hwo1_1280.png (438KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6opd81vGd1rsl2hwo1_1280.png
438KB, 960x540px
>>141221770
tumblr, land of VNs even more vacuous and money-grubbing than the Sakura series
>>
>>141221638

>Progress

>STORY
>Prologue: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Common route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Darc's route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Kita's route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Korra's route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Nova's route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Tessa's route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Fira's route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Dina's friend route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Tierra's friend route: rough draft 0%, script 0%
>Epilogues: rough draft 0%, script 0%

Impressive.
>>
>>141222431
>Elvish Dictionary: 0%

what did she mean by this?
>>
>>141222431
It looks kind of nice if everything has the same numbers.
>>
>>141222431
Sounds like they are ready to launch their Kickstarter!
>>
>>141222603
World-building! Proper fantasy requires at least one conlang. Maybe several.

Important tasks like costume design and GUI design and elvish languages are much more interesting than scripting the story.

It will be the most exciting commercial EVN ever.
>>
File: ZdUS+Q.png (1MB, 1275x716px) Image search: [Google]
ZdUS+Q.png
1MB, 1275x716px
>>
Here's a question for writers. What approaches do you take to opening and ending scenes?
>>
>>141226582
When I'm starting a scene, I usually set the scene up with the thoughts of the current character before any dialogue begins. It varies from time to time, however. As for ending, I just let the scene end on its own accord.

It's all just generally instincts for me, going with the flow.
>>
File: JeffEdwards.png (2MB, 1259x1441px) Image search: [Google]
JeffEdwards.png
2MB, 1259x1441px
It feels extra dead tonight. Here's another character write up that I finished the other day.
>>
>>141234528
Did you draw these as well?
>>
>>141234830
I wish. I've never taken the time to really get serious into drawing.
>>
Do you guys do prototypes?
>>
>>141225370
Is that back-tit on demon gril ?
>>
what if my evn sold 10k copies at full price
>>
>>141240551
steam will take your 30%.
sekai project will take you 30% of what is left.
your government will take 30% of what is left x2.
your bitchy artist will take the rest, and then he will try to sue you
>>
>>141240551
Then you wouldn't have to use a low budget anymore and could stand at the top with JVNs.
>>
>>141240758
but I won't use steam or sekai project
although can't help the government part
I'm the artist anyways
>>
>>141241071
Then you won't sell 10k copies.
>>
>>141241129
but what if it did
>>
>>141241162
No.
>>
>>141241071
>be a scumbag
>admit to being an artist
It's like everyone here has always been right!
>>
I reached my wordcount goal for the day.
Good night, /evn/. Do your best.
And try not to die.
>>
Bump after downtime
>>
Don't die
>>
File: listentomymixtape.jpg (30KB, 802x278px) Image search: [Google]
listentomymixtape.jpg
30KB, 802x278px
>click random fuwa thread about evns

errytime
>>
>>141249768
We make gaem about nigas.
We use unity.
We kool nigas.
our game launches for 5 min, and lags on $10k rig
our game is about niggers
>>
>>141249768
I'm looking forward to the day he releases his VN.
And reality knocking him down 10 pegs.
>>
>>141250224
i think its more that the dude is a compulsive shill than that his game is a hotep fantasy
>>
>>141241162
even mangagamer can't sell 10K copies without steam
>>
>>141250983
If SP takes a 30% cut, how much of a cut does MG take?
>>
>>141250819
I'm more annoyed by the fact that he seriously thinks things like "all egyptians were black".
>>
>>141234528
Do they fuck?
>>
>>141252737
Nobody but winged cloud would know

>>141253437
That's a very particular thing to be so obsessed with. Do you also get really angry when JVNs have married nuns?
>>
>>141253437
Are you annoyed that Japanese characters in anime and VNs have any other hair color than white?
Are you annoyed when films about egypt show all characters as white?
Are you annoyed when Jesus or Moses are white guys with blue eyes in films?

Perhaps you should cut your dose of /pol/ and stop being such a cucked loser.
>>
>>141254083
Look, man, I generally don't care about inaccuracy in media. But this guy keeps selling the game as a black power thing (literally, check out his twitter).
>>
File: Runes.jpg (189KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Runes.jpg
189KB, 800x600px
What's the point of writing Japanese in English, what kind of shity translation is this?
>>
>>141254328
Yeah, I'd just rather focus attention on his obnoxious shilling persona than his personal beliefs.
>>
File: s24Kq4V.png (476KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
s24Kq4V.png
476KB, 800x451px
>>
>>141254778
eh, I assume those pseudo(?) latin words weren't translated in the original and they wanted to keep the confusing factor in? Also
>/vn/
>>
>>141257156
Will she fuck me ?
>>
>>141257406
Is fucking allowed on iOS?
>>
>>141257560
yes
>>
>>141254083
What about "dharker studios"?
>>
>>141258984
True. I just don't think anyone who's worked witht hem posts here, though I could be wrong
>>
>>141259096
Guess I'll have to be the first, then.
>>
>>141259307
Your game's porn, then?
>>
File: screenshot0002.png (1MB, 1090x659px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot0002.png
1MB, 1090x659px
>>
>>141260471
> that rib cage

oh god why
>>
File: Promo.jpg (2MB, 1920x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Promo.jpg
2MB, 1920x1024px
http://sovietgames.su/en/and-yet-another-post/
>>
>>141260568
Same. Maybe it's supposed to be horsey?
>>
>>141260086
Yup.
>>
>>141260723
WTF is wrong with this thread ?
First nigger shit with BS.
Now this slav shit.
Which shit is better?
>>
>>141261282
Unlike americans, slavs actually make good vns. So, Slavshit.
>>
File: comrade.jpg (39KB, 680x464px) Image search: [Google]
comrade.jpg
39KB, 680x464px
>>141261621
Only if you can read their runes.
>>
>>141260723
Is that the GUI sample? I'm too retarded to tell.
>>
>>141261758
I'm pretty sure slavs will also translate their shit to English at the release.
>>
>>141261764
Well, it certainly looks like a menu, so, yes?
>>
>>141263346
>>141262446
You alright?
>>
>>141263454
Dislike mistakes in my posts too much for my own good.
Otherwise, I'm quite fine, thank you.
>>
>>141261764
Well, it certainly looks like a menu, so yes?
>>
>>141264009
Well, it certainly looks menu-like, so yes?
>>
http://vnsnow.com/nanoreno-2016-round-1-match-4/
>>
>>141264875
fuck off jp
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/454690/ Well, the Russians seem excited at least
>>
>>141267180
And apparently they have more sales then SkeletonRaising by SekaiProject
Fucking hilarious
>>
>>141268264
I'm guessing they talked it up in their circles and had people interested in the project, instead of dumping it out of nowhere?
>>
File: 1408671732394.jpg (47KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1408671732394.jpg
47KB, 330x319px
>Doomfest calling out Jiro Hiroshi for being a scam artist
>>
>>141269713

Dani pls
>>
>>141269713
where/when?
>>
>>141269713
Who and who
>>
Some EVN discussion here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112281

Mostly about Lucid9 right now but it would be a good environment for anyone looking to shill.
>>
>>141269713
But we already know that Jiro Hiroshi is Omniknight.
>>
Updated: https://www.storydevs.com/talent
The search actually works now & the home page thumbs are auto-generated! There's only a handful of profiles atm since I hand-picked them all, so a lot of search combos will yield few results for now. (Also, some artists' profiles don't account for the extra fields I added later.) Nonetheless, it demonstrates how quick and easy it is to filter for what you want.

I'd like to have a few more available folk, so if you're an artist of any flavour (characters, environments, gui, logos) and do work roughly on par with the artists already on there, I'd like to add some more profiles.

The account system doesn't allow for making talent profiles atm, so you'd have to make it via me. The details I'd need are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13reBSyRWdei4xDR4lYzgAqnoMxP4lluyhWMSKPQp-tY/edit?usp=sharing

>>141270293
>>141270612
It was on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Doomfest/status/728086195993878529
>>
>>141271190
Let us know when you add the widget for music, I'll make a profile.
>>
>>141272264
Will do :)

---

Also, I just found and fixed a bug that was causing mailing list confirmations to be sent out instead of handle reservation emails. This was actually just a cosmetic bug—the text says the wrong stuff but the link in the email should still work. Sorry about that; I feel like a moron after finding it!
>>
File: Sample+Dialogue+UI.png (267KB, 998x499px) Image search: [Google]
Sample+Dialogue+UI.png
267KB, 998x499px
>>
>>141274832
>putting a caron on English letters
Why? Do you even know what sound ǐ makes?
>>
>>141275069
Judging from their UI they just like pointy bits
>>
>>141275069
It made me pause at every one before I even read your post
>>
>>141275069
They're obviously meant to be taken as hearts.
>>
>>141274832
I like it, but I don't think the assets work well together. The gui and the sprite look like they belong in two differenr games.
>>
>>141279243
I think they look fine together.
>>
File: 65187.jpg (186KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
65187.jpg
186KB, 1024x576px
>>
>>141281608
>girl
where ?
>>
>>141280113
Yeah but we know what your track record is like.
>>
>>141268971
Why? I hate hype. "Dumping it out of nowhere" should be the gold standard.
>>
I tried out the old violet hill demo. It was pretty enjoyable, I hope they manage to finish it.
>>
>>141285857
Thing that is bad about Selenon Rising is that it's been in development for awhile, I played the demo when it was called Moonshot. They had tons of time to drop little hints here and there and garner any type of attention. It's baffling to me that they didn't. I thought the project had been thrown out since I heard nothing about it for almost a year, and then all of a sudden saw this "Selenon Rising" thing. There wasn't even a post about the name change.
>>
>>141285857
Stealth releases only work if you're already a big name. A literally who indie studio doing a stealth release is just pants on head retarded.
>>
>>141286351
Jeez, why didn't they keep the name?
>>141286556
Well, when you put it like that, I can see what's bad.
>>
>>141286556
>stealth release
B-But they had Sekai Project!
>>
>>141287006
Fuck off shitposter.
>>
>>141287651
Name one way I'm shitposting.
>>
>>141285857
Eh. Overdone hype is annoying, but hype done well is extremely effective marketing, and no hype at all means no one even notices your game exists.

There's been a ton of VNs released lately, and there was a big sale on at that point taking up all the attention. I'm not sure how many people outside of /evn/ know it even existed and we only talked about it to bitch about SP.
>>
Looks like that kickstarter sketch thread got locked
>>
>>141290407
Good. It already had 500(!) dollars pledged to it with nothing but a promise that they could do it based on an extremely short VN.

How much did it even cost to get that up on steam?
>>
I am kind of torn on the whole crowdfunding/Kickstarter thing.
Do the people who can't even raise like $5k not advertise their games at all? Do they just pop out of nowhere to the platform they're using without any preliminary marketin? If not, how come others manage to gather so much more?
I mean, I need quite a significant amount and I think I have a pretty decent plan for my pre-KS campaign, but I am still not sure if it's good enough. Is there some kind of secret technique or something for achieving your goals for bigger projects that strive for like $30k+?
>>
>>141292236
>something for achieving your goals for bigger projects that strive for like $30k+?

> fap material or otherwise porn
> dev with a previous good track record
> ks somehow goes viral
> really good assets
> japanese or pretending to be

these are obviously not all the ways, but they are the most common
>>
>>141292637
> ks somehow goes viral
What are the most common ways? I mean, besides someone terribly famous in the appropriate circles saying good things absout your game.
>>
>>141292236
>some kind of secret technique
It's called marketing
>>
>>141292926

being REALLY outstanding in one of the other mentioned aspects or becoming a meme.
>>
>>141292957
So the authors of failed projects really are just fucking stupid and clueless?
>>
>>141292957
But where? How?
>>
>>141293098
Marketing is hard, anon.
>>
>>141293118

Everywhere. All the ways.

Jfc, anon.
>>
>>141293379
But that doesn't tell me anything! What do I do? Shill on /evn/ (because 4chan's marketing potential is dead as dust these days), talk it up on lemmasoft, run to reddit? Tweet everybody I know and people I don't about its existence?
>>
>>141293560

ALL. THE. WAYS.

If you can think of it and it's not dumb/annoying, do it.
>>
Is Secret Agenda for sale anywhere else other than Patreon?
>>
https://sekaiproject.com/jobs/
Who's applying?
>>
>>141293220
No that hard, not really. You just make your game look well enough and shove mentions of it everywhere even remotely approprite hoping that they stick.
>>
>>141293650
You should probably ask him, maybe he'll put up a for-sale somewhere
>>
File: TheWindow.jpg (138KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
TheWindow.jpg
138KB, 1000x563px
>>
>it's a you become discouraged and are considering quitting episode
>>
>>141293790
Me. I'm experienced, programmer, my main language is Ren'Py.
>>
>>141298438
Take a small break, watch a movie, do something you normally wouldn't.
>>
>>141298438
As if episodic games weren't already the worst
>>
>just left a team on good terms which was showing all the "We are going nowhere" signs
Feels good
>>
>>141299479
How long were you stuck there, friend?
>>
>>141299479
Was it free project ?
>>
>>141299479
Spotted the scumbag artist.
>>
>>141299749
A year.
>>141299774
Yes.
>>141299816
Nice try, but you're right.
>>
>>141300042
NAME AND SHAME
>>
>>141300042
Than it's ok if it was free.
but everyone still will hate you.
>>
>>141300178
We're in good terms still, so it wasn't a big deal at all. I let them know that I left specifically because nothing was being done.
>>141300165
Never!!! But if a kickstarter opens up with a extremely generic premise and lots of feature creep stretch goals, it's that one.
>>
>>141300042
How much was done by a year?
>>
>>141300042
>A year
Lucky. I stubbornly clung to a dead project for three years before I finally gave up.
>>
>>141300530
Ouch.
>>
>>141300530
Sorry to hear about Missing Stars.
>>
>>141300365
>feature creep stretch goals
What is this I don't even
>>
>>141300559
Saddest part about it is that they're still going. They still think they'll be able to have everything they want with just more time.
>>
>>141300401
Lots of "concept" planning. Nothing actually written on paper besides ideas and how to make it The Best(tm).
>>141300530
I was in the same boat, friend. That's how I recognized the signs.
>>141300643
"If we get 20k we will add ESCAPE ROOMS. If we get 25k we will add DEBATE SECTIONS." That kind.
>>
>>141300612
What is this project? Their site gives no info at all and I've seen it mentioned here in passing when the topic moves to ded projects. Why were people so hype for it?
>>
>>141300946
It was Katawa Shoujo but with mental disabilities instead.
>>
>>141300790
for me irl, debate sections quickly become escape rooms
>>
>>141300790
>a year with only concept planning achieved
That is technically an achievment in itself.
Just not a positive one.
>>
>>141300946
It was right after KS came out and had a similar premise, and they also had a lot of REALLY good artists (who then left) including Mike Inel and Naso4. They actually have a gallery of all their concept art and stuff http://somnovastudios.org/yearbook/

I know a few of them moved on to Alienworks to work on HRP and Highway Blossoms.
>>
>>141300985
>with mental disabilities instead
But KEY has been monopolizing this cliche for years. What makes anyone think they can do it any better?
>>
>>141301114
To be fair, I'm only talking about the writers. The musician got pretty much the entire soundtrack done, even if it was a big mish mash of trying out different styles. Another artist that was on did a lot of art before leaving.
But yeah. Most of the chat was "Wouldn't it be cool if" or "What if we did X instead of Y"
>>
>>
We're going to need a new thread really soon. If I make it, it's going to be shit. I will make it if nobody else does, this is a threat.
>>
>>141304802
Okay, okay, I'll make it.
>>
Happy?
>>
File: 1459853005118.png (444KB, 664x498px) Image search: [Google]
1459853005118.png
444KB, 664x498px
>>141305603
Not if I make it first
>>
>>141305937
>>141305793
>>141305603
Doko?
>>
New thread:
>>141307056
Thread posts: 754
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.