[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 27

File: Film5489_08a.jpg (3MB, 3089x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Film5489_08a.jpg
3MB, 3089x2048px
New Japan General, Rain Season Edition

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1256882
>>
I'm going to glorious Nippon for the 4th time this August and I'm currently debating which region to go to this time. I'll have around 10-14 days and I was mostly considering Tohoku or Shikoku.

Can anyone who has been to either region weigh in on if that is enough time/anything they would especially recommend there?

Thanks!
>>
What do jap girls like please thanks
>>
>>1259455
not you
>>
File: IMG_20170604_074817081_HDR.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_074817081_HDR.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Spent the day with a Jap girl I met on penpal ages ago (but we never talked) now I'm depressed at the thought of traveling alone for another week.
>>
File: photo1jpg.jpg (65KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
photo1jpg.jpg
65KB, 550x413px
What was your favorite ramen in Tokyo?
>>
>>1259483
no Ramen in Tokyo particularly stood out but Hakata Ramen in Fukuoka was the shit
>>
>>1259478
Stop meeting girls then, you retard. Boys are more fun. fuck sex
>>
>>1259466
lol what a burn
>>
>>1259429
Sorry for not answering your question, but, if you don't mind me asking, what's your line of work? Anyone who is going to Japan for the 4th time is doing something right in my book
>>
Kyoto is a fun and awesome city
>>
>>1259495
lmao
>>
How accurate is this? Because if this is accurate I feel like people are over exaggerating about how unbearable it is.
>>
>>1259503
i just think it's harder to GET cool. in america you have central a/c so the building is a steady temperature throughout. but in japan they have window/room a/cs and it takes awhile to work. plus electricity costs a ton
>>
Hi all, I'm heading to Japan for the first time soon. I'll be going across most of the island in a calm holiday, but I'm wondering what Tokyo is like?

I'm under the impression that Akihabara is where you go if you want to see the more wacky things and stuff. Shibuya has good clubs but Shinjuku has more arse, while Roppongi is generally a catch-all for everyone.

Is this accurate? Can someone more experienced please sum up what the nightlife is like in each of these places? Perhaps recommend some stuff?

Thank you.
>>
This isn't a travel question exactly but more for curiosity. I recently read an old Japanese novel in which throwing oneself into a volcano was mentioned as a method of suicide. So I'm wondering if you guys are aware if this is something people actually do or did, and what volcanoes you can actually walk up and jump into a pit of lava
>>
>>1259503
It's usually hotter in August imo (something like 35°). Also the humidity is the actual part that people usually complain about (up to 90%).
>>1259505
Akihabara has no night life, aside from a few weeb clubs (e.g. Mogra). Everything else is dead. As far as wacky things, not really it's 90% weeb stuff (anime, manga etc.) and the rest electronics.

Most clubs are in Shibuya and Roppongi. Can recommend Atom in Shibuya, other big ones are Gaspanic and Womb. Roppongi has a bit of a bad name, but I heard the clubs are pretty good though I've never been myself.
>>1259520
people jump in front of trains these days, you can try that
>>
Asked this in the other thread, but anybody had luck with Pairs?
>>
File: image.jpg (154KB, 640x886px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154KB, 640x886px
>>1259529
Paris is quite nice, but I'd suggest going to champagne/rhone alps region, it's summer now so Provence works as well. You'll like the sea and the food. French toll roads are a bit pricey tho
>>
File: 1494363536072.jpg (20KB, 201x216px) Image search: [Google]
1494363536072.jpg
20KB, 201x216px
>>1259534
>>
Is there a service that I could hire to pick my lost and found stuff from Narita airport and send it overseas? I'm not in Japan and the personnel there won't mail my stuff.
>>
>>1259525
>people jump in front of trains these days, you can try that
No I'm not thinking of doing it. It just gave me an idea and I want to know if there's any background to it, like if it was once a common method of suicide and where people did it
>>
>>1259494
the first two times were while I was still studying, did some part time jobs to finance my trips (also a decently paid internship). These days I work in the news media industry in Yurop so I get 5 weeks of paid holidays/year. The pay is so-so but I get to travel to different cities 5-6 times per year as part of the job
>>
>>1259503
The humidity is the real killer. Anyone can stand 40°C in the desert, it's easy mode. Not anyone can stand 30-35° with 95% humidity, now that's hard mode.
>>
>>1259425
>getting your weeb fantasies crushed
Here I am. I've got a gf and I'm happy with her. But maybe I want to move on at some point and since I've been to different places in all of Asia and had an affair with a Chinese girl I can't think about anything else but East Asian girls.

I'm not a weeb nor am I really sympathizing with Japanese culture - but tell me about Japanese girls nowadays. What are they like? Is the prejudice that most of the girls are not interested in relationships at all, that they rather focus on their career? Also it's said that most Japanese people don't show their emotions in public, will it be different in private? Also, how well do well educated girls speak English?

>Living in Japan
I'm also thinking about Working Holiday in Japan in the next couple of years. If I'd plan to stay for one year, how much money should I bring to survive the first weeks until I found a job? Also, how easy is it to find a job? Which are the usual jobs people on Working Holiday in Japan do, is it as usual bars, hostels, restaurants, factories?
>>
>>1259503
I agree that people over exaggerate the heat and humidity.
>>
>>1259678
I think its because people don't expect tokyo to have that kind of weather. its hard to gauge where the city is relative to most American and European cities in latitude because of the ocean in between. I come from St Louis which is infamous for unbearable 90-degree and high humidity summers. I was shocked to find out that Tokyo is actually slightly more south than my city.

also, its right on the ocean. ocean usually cools and keeps the temperature stable, and makes humidity and heat more bearable with nice wind.
>>
>>1259684
*not right on the ocean, is what I meant to say

if you've never really looked closely on a map, but just at pictures of tokyo, you assume its right on the pacific.
>>
>>1259684
Yep, and people do end up climatizing after spending a few days in the humid and hot Summers.
>>
What is the proper greeting at convenience stores? I feel like a retard going into place and just nodding.
>>
What places should I visit when I don't give a shit about anime and I am interested in Shinto,Shrines,Nature and the general landscape and botany of the islands?
>>
>>1259697
IIRC unless they great you first with something you generally don't say anything
>>
>>1259697
Hai (yes in Japanese) can be used as an informal greeting, kinda like Hey in English
>>
>>1259703
>>1259704
How common is ossu (おっす) used in Tokyo for informal settings like a konbini? When I was in Fukuoka I stayed at a dorm for highschool and uni students, and the choruses of "ossu" still haunt my dreams.
>>
>>1259697
If you do anything other than a slight nod of acknowledgement you will look insane. Don't verbally respond you autist. Its perfectly acceptable to completely ignore them, especially in the city.

If you see the same worker a lot and you sorta know each other you can just greet them as you would anyone but don't make small-talk unless they start and don't hold up service.

>>1259711
Only for use with friends and close acquaintances. Very rude otherwise.
>>
>>1259697
When I went I used to respond with arigato to the irashaimase, because I'm a fucking retard and thought responding with "thanks" to "welcome to the store :D" made sense, when in fact the shopkeepers all looked at me like I just raped somebody.
>>
>>1259717
The second-hand cringe from this post actually ruined my mood.
>>
>>1259712
>>1259717
holy shit is japan that really autistic and unfriendly that you literally CANT greet shopkeepers when they welcome you into their store? what the fuck?
>>
>>1259623
>how well do well educated girls speak English?
They don't.
>I'm not a weeb
>I can't think about anything else but East Asian girls
>tell me about Japanese girls
1. Yes you are.
2. You're the worst kind; the deluded waifu chaser.
>>
>>1259738
>can you verbally respond to 'irasshaimase'?
yes
>will it be silly and awkward?
also yes.

Its not about being unfriendly, its just that you are customer 1027th that day (especially at conbini) and the greeting is an automatic formality of politeness, not an invitation to engage with them. They say it on auto-pilot when someone triggers the door ringer.

If its something more intimate like an izakaya or mom&pop you can be more cordial, especially if you are a regular.

A good rule of thumb is don't if its a franchise and/or has a lot of customer traffic. If you aren't an autist its pretty easy to read the situation and get a good feeling for how chatty you should be in any situation in Japan.
>>
>>1259738
Pretty much, yeah. There are fairly strict social mores and breaking them makes people confused and uncomfortable. It's like regular society, but turned up a few notches.
>>
>>1259743
>If you aren't an autist its pretty easy to read the situation and get a good feeling for how chatty you should be in any situation in Japan.

This. It's slightly different from western society but by and large very similar, and as long as you have the most basic understanding of human interaction (though I guess here you are, on 4chan) and the tiniest bit of intuition and adaptability (oh, right), it's easy as pie.
>>
>>1259743
>not an invitation to engage with them. They say it on auto-pilot when someone triggers the door ringer.
I don't meant to engage with them, or try to start a conversation, or bother them or anything else. I just meant saying a quick "hello" or "hi" back. To me, and most people, saying hello back IS auto-pilot as well.
It feels strained and autistic and rude to try to hold back a simple 5-second greeting like that.

I try not to judge other cultures traditions, but damn is that pretty ridiculous
>>
>>1259738
I never really say anything when I walk into most 711's/gas station type places in the states. Why would you in japan?

If I do ever say anything it is because they said something to me first
>>
>>1259752
neither do I, but the above posters and myself were talking about responding to someone who says hi or welcomes you to their store.

it just seems weird and forced that you're not supposed to respond.
>>
>>1259752
Not sure about the US, but in Australia we definitely more often than not will greet the shopkeeper, and will thank them and say goodbye even if we don't purchase anything.
It must be a cultural thing.
>>
>>1259748
If you were to walk into a Walmart and get greater with a "welcome to Walmart", would you respond?
>>
>>1259752
This >>1259754. It's like thanking a bus driver, you just do it because that's how you're raised.
>>
>>1259753
I mean, I only say "Hi" or "yo" to the person if they say welcome, but more than not I just look at them an tilt my head back a bit like "what's up", but rarely say anything unless like others have posted I am a regular at.

>>1259754
Mostly the same in most all places in the US unless you are going to a super local mom and pop type shop. For most all places a simple nod works fine or just acknowledging a greeting is more than enough. Most employees regardless where you are won't give two shits between customer 999 vs customer 1000 on a 8 hour shift.

Usually on checkout I will say something like thanks or if they say have a nice day I'll say you too. Anything more without being a regular or something is just weird.
>>
>I now realize there have and are many anons walking into stores mimicing what they saw off anime for when they walk into and out of a store.
>walking into stores trying to say japanese greetings no one cares about
>speaking to random people just trying to grab a donut for their long day ahead
>trying to show off their japanese to the cashier who just wants to get off their shift and go home
>saying stupid shit on the way out
>everyone wondering why Americans are so fucking stupid
>>
>>1259757
Pretty much, too be honest, the only times I wouldn't greet someone or say goodbye is if I we're in a big department store and there is nobody at the door.

>>1259761
>Mostly the same in most all places in the US unless you are going to a super local mom and pop type shop.
In Australia, you'd be having small talk with the server at the mum and pop shops, let alone just a greeting/goodbye.
>>
>>1259753
The key difference here is that Japanese people are incredibly high-strung in every social situation when they are in "society" mode.

To a westerner, being personally greeted in response to a formality is no big deal, you just smile back or shoot the shit if you feel chatty.

To a Japanese combini worker, its being caught off guard in a situation where you suddenly have to figure out the "approved" way to either end the exchange politely or somehow continue it and risk saying anything that you, in the role of a mere conbini clerk, shouldn't. And god forbid if you have Japanese customers waiting that are incredibly busy and impatient for any slip up in service.
>>
>>1259764
Yeah I worded that wrong, most small mum and pop shops will often want to have a small conversation with you here too, especially if you look like you are from out of town.
>>
>>1259765
to surmise, its about not being autistic and understanding the other persons position and comfort. Japan isn't know for impeccable service standards because they take an "adaptive" approach.
>>
>>1259756
either say "hi" or just nod my head in acknowledgement. ignoring people being polite and speaking directly to you is autistic or rude, at least in western countries.

>>1259765
why would you have to "continue"?
I feel like aren't quite understanding

>shopkeep: hi, welcome to [store]
>me: hello

that's all I'm saying. no further response from the shopkeep, nor chat necessary. takes less than 2 seconds. its harder to repress the urge to respond and just ignore someone than it is to say a quick "hi".
>>
>>1259505
>Akihabara is where you go if you want to see the more wacky things and stuff
Not really? Unless you think used electronics and anime figurines are "wacky".
>Shibuya has good clubs but Shinjuku has more arse
Shinjuku "has arse" in the sense that it is home to one of the biggest red light districts in Japan, but Shinjuku does not have traditional clubs.
>>1259623
Yellow fever weeb in denial is the worst kind.
>Also, how easy is it to find a job?
Not easy? With no Japanese ability what will you do? I don't really know what most WHV kiddies do in Japan. I think most of them find work at foreigner bars or whatever. If you have a degree, you can teach English. If you have no degree but can speak Japanese for some reason, have fun working at 7-11.
>>1259697
>What is the proper greeting at convenience stores?

>greeting the staff at convenience stores
Literally what. You don't say anything. Look at anyone else in there. No one is greeting the staff?? lmao.

Just smile and not when they're giving you your change. If you want to go the extra mile you could say "arigatougozaimasu" after you're done, but Japanese people don't really do this.

>>1259711
>How common is ossu (おっす) used in Tokyo for informal settings like a konbini?

Pfffft. lmafo.

>>1259717
I am crying right now. I can't. LOL.

This is like a more tame and acceptable second coming of that one autist who got mad at the Japanese girl and then Japan in general because the girl didn't respond to his conbini nampa attempt haha.

Anyone remember that guy?

Why do combinis bring out the autism like Hellmann's?
>>
>>1259767
To add to this, keep in mind the surroundings on how you engage people. A lot of people will be saying hi just to say hi, others if they aren't obviously busy might say hi and do a follow up question wanting a conversation.

>>1259769
interactions are different in japan and in Asian countries, a good amount will feel a need to respond to someone when addressed. It's just the way it is.
>>
Hello friends,

I was in Japan early this year and had this delicious plum wine from 7/11 or some other corner shop, it comes in a cardboard carton (similar to milk cartons) of about a litre or more for maybe $10 or so dollars. I cannot find it in Australia - does anyone know if it is sold anywhere here or similar/affordable plum wines?
>>
>>1259769
>why would you have to "continue"?
because people don't usually respond verbally, so its an unusual situation that requires some tact. Basically they were actually paying any attention to you until you responded back, and that startles them and makes them wonder if they missed something important or if there is an expectation from them i.e. perhaps they are supposed to remember you from somewhere.

Being obviously foreign can make it more or less awkward for them, depending. Of course there is a big difference depending on city or country.
>>1259770
>you could say "arigatougozaimasu" after you're done
No, don't do this. The clerk will have just said "arigatougozaimashita" when its time for you to fuck off. thanking them in the present tense after that is retarded. The most that would be acceptable is a considerate nod and MAYBE a "domo" as you are walking away. Its important to be nonchalant about it.
>>1259772
this guy knows whats up. I grew up in the USA midwest and we are somewhere between Southern and Northern manners and I find Japanese social interactions very normal, if not more highly tuned.

We have the polite formalities and consideration of others comfort, but also know how to keep personal boundaries and go along with our business, and assume other people are just as busy.
>>
>>1259503
The heat isn't so bad if you already live in a hot country, I'm in Australia and that's really not that far off our winter temperatures half the time, but the humidity would shock a lot of people from Europe and North America, I think. It's not unbearable but it's uncomfortable especially if you are walking a lot and want to see heaps of things or go hiking etc.
>>
File: IMG_20170608_173927_420.jpg (66KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170608_173927_420.jpg
66KB, 780x780px
Got tipsy with a bunch of guys in the hostel and helped a middle school kid by fixing the chain on his bike. It took me 5 minutes but the way he looked at me was hilarious he was probably scared a little. Had a bag of pineapple ciders with me too.
>>
Am I a crazy weeb for not wanting to blow my load and cash at akihabara?

Going with a few friends there and from the research I am doing most of the stuff seems to be cool as in (authentic, high quality, fresh on the market, obscure to fine); but the more I research the more it seems I can find the stuff on amiami or aliexpress for cheaper or just about the same price. I won't doubt that what you can get there is all that jazz, but paying for it and then having to bring it back at the risk of breaking some expensive shit seems eh.

Anyone else have this feeling about akihabara? I intend to buy some things there, but I guess I don't have the "weeb fever" or whatever most seem to have.
>>
>>1259776
>No, don't do this. The clerk will have just said "arigatougozaimashita" when its time for you to fuck off.

I should clarify. I meant more at the moment when you're handed your change. There's no reason you can't say "arigato gozaimasu" in that situation but it's not at all the norm.
>>
>>1259785
I would still drop the "gozaimasu" and make make sure the arigatou is quick and causal
>>
>>1259785
>>1259786

Generally, I'd only drop an "arigato" or something small when being provided a service such as a meal, drink at a bar, or such. Going into a quick store like 711 or lawsons(?), I'd just nod or smile.
>>
>>1259787
right, i would too. but a fast "arigato" wouldn't stand out either.
>>
Hi, I will to travel to Japan on October, but I want to set up the exact day. I want to watch the Akimatsuri or japanese autum festival on Tokyo, but I dont know where it will be held.

Anyone knows where will I find this festival?
Also is there kind of festivity or event on halloween in Japan?
>>
>Go into a Japanese combeanie
>Greater is a girl in her late teens, she says "Éireshymassa" and bows deeply (from my years worth of Japanese I took in college I know this means "enter my master"
>And so I do, but not before I kiss her on both cheeks and replied with a friendly but erotically-charged "bonsoir"
>Having broken the masquerade, she does not know how to respond; she starts shaking and proceeds to wet herself as I charge confidently past
>I grab a Suntory BOSS Coffee Rainbow Mountain Blend ® and some exquisite lolita eromanga and take them to the counter
>Taking note of the quivering mess I made of the greeter, the checkout operator dispenses with the pleasantries and endeavors to ring up my purchases and get me the fuck out of there post-haste, in a manner not seen since Perry confidently opened the country over a century ago
>"Oh genkey?" I query, but am ignored. "sensanbyakkugojewendesu" he responds
>"waaaahhhh hontoe knee?" I reply (he's doing well as it so happens) and I hold out a 2000 yen note
>Eyes bulging, sweat colonizing his brow, he accepts the note and places my change into a small ceremonial plate that deftly covers the void between his side of the counter to mine
>I ready myself for the grand finale
>"DOMOKUNARIGATTOGOZAIMASSEEEEEEEE!!!" I roar and just as I begin to fall to my knees in thanks for the glorious canned coffee and depictions of naked little girls that I am about to receive I bang my head on the counter and black out
>When I come to I am being escorted from the comblini by a trio of police officers while the two staff-members cry into each others arms, no doubt in thanks that their unique Yamato culture has been embraced so readily by foreigners

Japan truly is a beautiful country.
>>
File: 1485461240899.png (141KB, 502x502px) Image search: [Google]
1485461240899.png
141KB, 502x502px
>>1259796
10/10 and screened.
>>
File: 1482952731047.jpg (154KB, 540x936px) Image search: [Google]
1482952731047.jpg
154KB, 540x936px
>>1259425
>>Joining the Yakuza
explain. wouldn't it be impossible for a foreigner to join this?
>>
>>1259784
nah, I feel the same, im not a weeaboo so i didnt care for most of the stuff i saw at akihabara
>>
>>1259803
It is impossible, it's just a joke.

if you did go a a foriegner to the yakuza you would probably
>get drunk and drugged
>mess around with one of their hookers while they steal you money and ID
>kick you to the street naked
>leave you for the police to find you and kick you out of the country
>>
>>1259804
Don't get me wrong, I am into anime and such. I just don't really see the whole point of paying XX in over what I can get else where for just about the same quality.

>but it's not authentic
Oh no a chinese knock off that likke 99% of the real thing! how will I live with the 30 dollars I saved!
>but it's not from the land of weeb
The only person who would know and most likely care are so hardcore weebs that I probably wouldn't give two shits about their opinion.

Didn't mean to vent, just been dealing with some hardcore banter for some time
>>
>>1259805
do yakuza mess around with foreign women as well or do they just fuck over the men?
>>
>>1259807
In Tokyo Vice there was plenty of foreign girls who get roped into being prostitutes in yakuza-owned places, but it's hard to know how much of that book is true and how much is Edelstein talking out his jew arse.
>>
>>1259809
>foreign girls
i feel like that would happen more to girls from other countries in asia if anything, not ones from europe or america.
>>
>>1259807
Slavic and shit-Asian: yes
From a country that would give a shit: absolutely not

In fact all but the lowest types of Yakuza tend to avoid getting involved with tourists because it could draw too much attention and could pull back the curtain
>>
>>1259807
Fairly certain, men are more of a target since "oh foreign man big penis" shit is something people will slurp up. I imagine women can get targeted as well but single men are usually much easier to swindle.
>>
>>1259813
>>1259813
Oh yeah I guess in places like Roppongi and Osaka you might get some of that. Its meant to be relatively harmless sex work solicitation from guys with heavy balls and wallets.
>>
>>1259812
>In fact all but the lowest types of Yakuza tend to avoid getting involved with tourists because it could draw too much attention and could pull back the curtain
i see. that makes sense.

>single men are usually much easier to swindle.
i figured.

can you usually tell when someone is part of the yakuza though?
>>
>>1259820
anytime a Japanese person (or Japanese speaking Asian) goes out of their way to be chummy with you on the street they are at least yakuza adjacent, if not the lowest type of grunt.
>>
>>1259815
Yeah, it's much more likely that you'll get invited to a love hotel for X price after some drinks, then quickly find out after that the actual cost is XXX. Rather than beaten and obviously left out in the open, easier to work behind the curtain than anything. Not like you are going to run to the police about a hooker that ripped you off.

>>1259820
>an you usually tell when someone is part of the yakuza though?

If something seems fishy it probably is, doesn't mean it is yakuza, could just be some gang of thugs. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. The bait will be in the open, the muscle will be in the shadows.
>>
>>1259823
>>1259822
i see. thank you for the detailed answers.
>>
So this is my fourth time to japan.

I booked my flight in september. Thought, most tourists will be gone by then.
I have visited most big sites in central japan. And wanted to travel to hokkaido (from tokyo)

I have 2 weeks.
My plan was

Nikko
Sendai
Aomori or hakodate.. wichever is better.
and sapporo.

Does anyone have any tips?
Places around that area worth while. Or cities i am overlooking that is totally worth it?
>>
>>1259806
>Oh no a chinese knock off that likke 99% of the real thing! how will I live with the 30 dollars I saved!

When you decide you're done with this hobby and try to sell your stuff, then wonder why nobody is buying your shitty bootleg figures for 120% of the original cost of the authentic ones.

t buyf/a/g

In all seriousness though, bootleg figures are 99% shit. Gathering recasts are pretty much the only exception, and even then it's hit or miss. Just go on to myfigurecollection and look at some of the comparisons to see for yourself.
>>
File: sadder.jpg (48KB, 500x618px) Image search: [Google]
sadder.jpg
48KB, 500x618px
>>1259915
Just let the retard enjoy his bootleg figs.
>>
>>1259794
I have never heard of that festival...there is an Autumn Festival in Kyoto that's held on October 9th though
>>
>>1259770
>>1259525
Thanks again for the answers. Is there anything really important I should know about Japanese night life? I'm mature enough to not get stinking drunk and fall over the place. As some other posters have said such as >>1259822 for example, should I be wary of Japanese people suddenly speaking English and getting friendly? I'm savvy enough to know that pockets are dipped and whatnot, but is it that bad in Japan?
>>
>>1259929
>should I be wary of Japanese people suddenly speaking English and getting friendly? I'm savvy enough to know that pockets are dipped and whatnot, but is it that bad in Japan?

Pickpocketing is not an issue in Japan. What is an issue in the nightlife scene is kyakubiki or touting and scam bars. As a foreigner, Japanese touts most likely will leave you alone but you will be accosted by African touts. It goes without saying that you should never follow a tout. Just ignore completely or politely but firmly say no thanks and keep walking. Don't make eye contact or anything like that. Don't say anything other than "no, thanks" to them if anything.

Actually a lot of the African owned bars in Roppongi are good and fun but you just have to know where you're going in advance.
>>
A few weeks ago I bought a delicious ready-to-go noodle menu at 7/11. The noodles were dark brown and had egg mixed with them. There was some meat and some sort of pink decoration stuff on it, too. Does anyone know how it is called?
>>
>>1259964
Also, is there a western name for these triangles?
>>
>>1259965
>a western name for these triangles?
thee-z try-hangulls?
>>
>>1259534
It would've been funny if I actually misspelled "Pairs" a popular Japanese dating app.
>>
>>1259483
Stumbled into a rather clean place around the robot restaurant and it was the best Ramen I ever had
>>
I thought Japanese girls were actually ugly, I see cute girls everywhere I look though, goddamn these schoolgirls make me want to commit a crime. Just yesterday I rode a train in peak hours and this cute high schooler had her hand on my crotch the whole time since she was squished into me.

I'm guessing they age badly though because all the milfs are like 5/10 at best
>>
>>1259915
>When you decide you're done with this hobby and try to sell your stuff
Honestly wouldn't care for selling it or how much I get back, most all the anime figures I buy are just from the bonus cash I get at work anyways

>Gathering recasts are pretty much the only exception, and even then it's hit or miss.
generally buy stuff at cons, so I get to look at it first anyways

>>1259917
Never had anything like that come from aliexpress/amiami
>>
>>1260074
>generally buy stuff at cons, so I get to look at it first anyways
>generally buy stuff at cons
>cons

You are hopeless. I've never seen legit figure at a con that was cheaper than preordering from Japan or buying used from Manda/Amiami/other used Japanese resellers. And I've seen a shit ton of bootlegs at cons, alongside the legit items, going for as much or more than you'd pay for the real thing.

Having bonus cash does not mean it's a good idea to blow it on overpriced poor quality bootlegs. Put that shit in an IRA or a high yield savings account or something.
>>
>>1260076
> I've never seen legit figure at a con that was cheaper than preordering from Japan or buying used from Manda/Amiami/other used Japanese resellers

Meh they look good enough to me and look close to the online real thing, so I am fine. Hell I'll order shit off amazon.

>And I've seen a shit ton of bootlegs at cons, alongside the legit items, going for as much or more than you'd pay for the real thing.
Paying for convenience

>Put that shit in an IRA or a high yield savings account or something.
Implying I need to put my bonuses in there on top of what I already do.
>>
question for people who have stayed in japan for significant amount of time (not just a brief traveller) :
did you encounter many southeast asians or islanders? do some areas have decent sized immigrant communities of people from there? how are they viewed / treated among the native populace? are they mostly poor and in ghettos, or is it more prosperous similar to chinatowns?

I know I couldn't google the hard statistics and stuff, but I'm more curious about personal experience and observations.
>>
What is a good place to go clubbing as asian gaijin in tokyo alone?
>>
File: dispImage[1].jpg (200KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dispImage[1].jpg
200KB, 640x480px
>>1259964
Was it yakisoba?

The pink stuff is beni shoga - pickled ginger.
>>
>>1259954
>A level headed post about Roppongi touts

What the fuck
>>
>>1260094
I was in Japan for 6 months. I did meet a few working at conbinis and ethnic food restaurants. I has dinner at a Indian restaurant and it turned out everyone was from Nepal. The waiter was nice and gave me and my friend extra drinks while complimenting my shut Japanese. I've never seen ghettos. There's a place in Tokyo called Korea-Town I think.
>>
So I'm two years in to my bachelor's degree, and saving up money working part-time job and working during the summers. My ultimate goal is to get a nice gig teaching English in Japan (or Korea, if I can't get into a Japanese program) and keep that for anywhere from 5-10 years while enjoying myself and saving up what money I can.

What else should I be doing in these next 2 years to prepare myself? Try to apply for teaching internships? My major isn't related to education so it doesn't really help me. I know a little bit of basic Korean (can read much better than speak) so I plan on learning some basic conversation Japanese as well to round it out.

tl;dr what should I be doing to prepare myself for teaching english in Japan besides saving money?
>>
>>1259784
Nah, your instincts are spot-on. Buying weebshit in Akiba is like buying I <3 NY merch in Times Square. Sure, it's right there, it's convenient, it's a famous location for that activity, but you're gonna get the worst prices in the whole city. Definitely go somewhere else (Nakano Broadway is pretty cool) for the same collectibles at a much better price.
>>
>>1259796
This is more-or-less standard conbini etiquette. Thank you for putting that tiresome debate to rest.
>>
I'm gonna be heading to nippon first thing tomorrow morning.
What do you guys recommend to buy as good omiyage for family/friends?
I want to get something they can't possibly buy elsewhere
>>
>>1260129
I saw some pretty good prices in Akiba while I was there, but it helps I was looking for specific things and knew how much I could get them for online.
>>
>>1260134
True, if you have a goal in mind and have some knowledge ahead of time you won't really get scammed very bad. But if you just *show up* and think "okay, time to buy animu merch" you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
are the nips into foreigners?
>>
Do you guys know of any good stationery stores in Tokyo? Trying to buy some fancy letter paper and fountain pens.
>>
>rainy season general
>like 3 rains in the last 2 weeks

Yeah
>>
Would it kill japs to put some trashcans every few blocks?
>>
>>1260188
You want to put bomb in it?
>>
>>1260188
>Japan is so clean!
>no trashcans anywhere
>every morning there's 100s of trash bags just lying on the street instead of neatly in dumpsters

Why can't the "Japan is clean" meme die? But also, carry your damn trash for a while.
>>
>>1260194
I asked a Jap girl about bins and she said the same thing
>>
>>1260199
>every morning there's 100s of trash bags just lying on the street instead of neatly in dumpsters

And they're gone before you can say "stop being a disingenuous faggot."

>"Japan is clean" meme

Ha "meme". I like how you can only talk about trash bags.

Casual, free liter is basically non existent in Japan. I don't know where you're from but Japan is very clean.
>>
>>1260113
Any person who says like "the guy followed me a block, etc." clearly was a retard who allowed some kind of in for the guy. If you make eye contact, hesitate, etc. these guys smell blood. They will take you for a vulnerable mark and think you are worth pursuing. Also answering any questions is really a rookie mistake too.

"Hey brother man how you doin' tonight."
If you say like "I'm good, thanks." even if you keep walking they will probably follow you.

>>1260094
>did you encounter many southeast asians or islanders?

There are pretty fair amount. You can go a while without seeing any casually in the street but there are many Filipinos who work at snack/girls bars, etc. and also Indians and Nepalese who run the curry restaurants. South Asians working at conbinis are also around (it's especially common in Ikebukuro not sure why). But I'm not really sure what they're story is. If they're students or what.
>>
Driving on the highway in Japan is so peaceful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jH5Hjt6lJQ
>>
>>1260122
There's not really a lot to prepare yourself for. You just need a bachelor's degree.

Obviously working on your Japanese and/or Korean is also something you should do--but that for the most part will just be for your own convenience and enjoyment. Korean and Japanese ability is generally not required to get ESL jobs. (although once in country it may help you get some different opportunities).

Honestly m8 my best advice would be if you're only half way done with your bachelor's degree and this is what you're set on for a number of years *switch your degree to education and become a state certified teacher* You can still do ESL but your opportunities will increase. Certified teachers can find work in better international schools and stuff.
>>
>>1260201
>Casual, free liter is basically non existent in Japan.

This is nonsense. The other anon is right -- "clean Japan" is a meme. Trash is everywhere if you know where to look. Only the most crowded areas are really clean, only because there's always somebody there/watching -- as soon as nobody's around to see it, the Japanese dump all kinds of shit anywhere and everywhere. Huge stretches of their coastline are absolutely disgusting because of this.
>>
How do I become friends with strangers in Japan? It's really hard to become "friends" with them as a traveler. The only lads I was able to befriend in this country was some gaijin tourists.
>>
if i have enough money can I just buy a house in japan and live there? im a Canadian and us citizen. Im getting close to having enough i can just go be a neet forever. do I have to pass some kind of test
>>
>>1260144
ask for washi
>>
File: 171.jpg (19KB, 339x246px) Image search: [Google]
171.jpg
19KB, 339x246px
How feasible is this? Looking for ways that I can move to Japan and have an actual job/career, instead of just fucking around with some language classes and teaching.

>work at an airport as a technician
>have mechanical and electrical skills, work on my car/bike
>be 26
>Learn jp on and off because no clear goal/motivation, basically can only read kana and a few kanji, w/basic ass grammar
>know Russian and English
>fux with computers and /3/

Any thoughts will help. Thanks.
>>
>>1260206
>switch your degree to education and become a state certified teacher
will that be a significant advantage in pay?

I thought about doing this, but at some point in the future I kind of wanted to go back for a Master's in my field (filmmaking) to become a professor. Living in japan would be more of a temporary experience
>>
>>1260238
Go to language meetups and have passable Japanese
>>
>>1260281
How feasible is this? Looking for ways that I can move to America and have an actual job/career, instead of just fucking around with some language classes and teaching.

>work at an airport as a technician
>have mechanical and electrical skills, work on my car/bike
>be 26
>Learn english on and off because no clear goal/motivation, basically can only read 1/10th of the alphabet w/basic ass grammar
>know Russian and Japanese
>fux with computers and /3/

What would you tell a Japanese person trying to have "an actual career" with these qualifications?

>>1260285
(in terms of japan)

To answer your first post, literally just volunteer once or twice a year and make sure you're good friends with at least one of your professors. (two and/or a boss at work if you want to apply for JET)

For your second post, not really. Especially if you just plan on dipping out in like 2-3 years anyway.
>>
>>1260335
Why do you think i can even answer that? Hard time just figuring shit out here.
>>
>>1260361
Replace America with whatever country you're from
>>
Going to Tokyo in a few days for 1 week

Won't be going there again for a long time, so I want to do everything I can while I have the chance, but don't know what to do - any suggestions?
>>
>>1260382
That wasn't the point, I am in America. But i don't have the experience do give that kind of advice.. hence why im looking for advice.
>>
>>1260390
The short answer is no, you can't, it's not happening.

Longer answer depends on who you are, but since you "don't have the experience" to figure out whether or not it's feasible for a foreigner to live in your country with the same abilities you would have in Japan, you're fucked. You have no chance.

To pull it off is a feat of heroic difficulty. You either have to get incredibly lucky, be incredibly determined and awesome, or have someone baby you. Since you can't assess on your own, you are forced to ask for advice, and thus take our word for it. Our wisdom says your current preparation is not enough, not even close. Try harder.
>>
I got sick the day after I got here and now I'm seriously regretting getting a dorm room.

If anyone has never stayed at a hostel I would advise against a dorm room and stick with a private one. The lounge is nice though.
>>
>>1260285
In certain cases yes. Certified teachers who work for certain places like ASIJ and Sacred Heart make very good money actually. In most cases probably not so much but it would potentially open doors.

>Living in japan would be more of a temporary experience

But you said 5-10 years which while temporary is still a very considerable time. I would say if you spend 10 years in Japan you will not leave at that point, so don't plan on that long.

>Master's
>become a professor

You could teach at a community college or in some places be an adjunct. If you are an adjunct you will make ESL pay (or worse) and in addition have an extra debt load from your Masters.

You can't become a professor with just a masters. In some cases community college instructors can make OK money but I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>>1259503
How's early September? Going on a work trip there and looking to some exploration of Tokoyo
>>
File: Masashi-Wakui-01-900x599.jpg (113KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
Masashi-Wakui-01-900x599.jpg
113KB, 900x599px
Where are some good comfy alleyways in Tokoyo? I wanted to explore those narrow alleyways with cafes, noodle bars, etc accompanied by the colourful lights of signs and such.
>>
Finally booked my Tokyo trip later this year. Looking forward all the trains and going to the train museum. I really want to see some trains.
>>
>>1260390
>>1260400
This is what i was getting at, yeah.
>>
I'm thinking going to GODZ in shinjuku next Thursday of Friday, do someone recomend it? and is it safe to go?
>>
>>1260194
Memes aside the real reason is because of the strict waste/ recycling laws. Throwing away trash is a pain in the ass. And people would put their shit from home in outside cans if they were common.
>>
>>1260437
Just literally explore they're everywhere.
>>
>>1259864
Pretty solid plan. If you have been to Tokyo multiple times, you'd be experiencing something like a fatigue the city brings. Going north or anywhere not sold as a major tourist spot is definitely the way to go. Tohoku area is great during fall and winter, as you can experience a ton of snow.
>>
whats clubbing like in tokyo
>>
Why is osaka so shit with absolutely nothing to do at daytime
Unrelated anything particularly interesting in Nara?
>>
>>1260441
I used to live near an American military base. I would consolidate trash for a weekly run to dump it on the base where no one gives a shit about recycling.
>>
>>1260460
>anywhere not sold as a major tourist spot
Are there any places like that in the Kansai/Chubu/Kanto area?
>>
>>1260335
>To answer your first post, literally just volunteer once or twice a year and make sure you're good friends with at least one of your professors. (two and/or a boss at work if you want to apply for JET)
is this assuming I switch my major to education? or do you mean I should volunteer teaching children even as a film major?

>>1260434
I know 5-10 years is a long time and a big range, but from what I've heard on 4chan the pay isn't tremendous relative to the cost of living so it might take me a while the save up the money I need to move back to the west. I doubt I could live in japan for the rest of my life though, I would miss western society and european culture.

also good point about the degree. You're right I would need a doctorate. I just wasn't thinking when I said that.
>>
I went to Harajuku at the bridge at noon today and I didn't see a single cosplayer or harajuku girl. I was there at 12, 12:30, and 1.

I think sites need to stop advertising that as a thing because that meme seems to have died.
>>
>>1260506
By no means I know where these places are, but a surefire tell would be the apparent lack of big ass tourist buses lingering about the area. I'd bet places near the mountains/nature in general would be pretty tolerable.
>>
>>1260470
The deer park and Todaiji is a fine day trip.
>>
What are some good substitute for nature walks like Kamikochi? I went there on my last trip and was blown away on how the place was really beautiful.

I really liked hiking in japan. So far i've only been to Norikura, Shin Hotaka and Kamikochi
>>
>>1260516
Yeah when I was in Japan last November, I did not see a single Harajuku girl in Harajuku, I did see a couple around other places of Tokyo though. Will be back in Japan in 3 weeks so I will give them another chance.
>>
Don't go drinking in Okayama.
>>
>>1260531
Why?
>>
>>1260533
>>>/r9k/37636937
>>
Does anybody know of any kind of Full Service place in Nagoya? Everywhere here is japanese only.
>>
I guess my question has been answered thousands of times but I couldn't find anything clear, so sorry in advance.

Is there any official website to buy the Japan Rail Pass? I find a shit-ton of but I'm not sure where to buy it and which are the most reliable one.

Thanks anons.
>>
>>1260562
Yes, JTB. The website would depend on the country you're in, just Google "JTB Japan Rail Pass".
You don't actually buy the Japan Rail Pass, you buy a coupon that you will then exchange for the pass at a ticket office once you arrive in Japan. There is a full list of these exchange ticket offices on the website, but there is an office at every terminal at every international airport in Japan if you plan to exchange immediately when you arrive. You can choose to activate the pass at a later date.
>>
>>1260518
Cheers mate, spent a full day there
Cool place especially the view from the mountain, so much deer shit everywhere though baka desu
>>
File: IMG-426890218.jpg (120KB, 801x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-426890218.jpg
120KB, 801x960px
We plan to go to Japan this Oct. We're going to stay in Tokyo and see all the usual things like Zao Fox village in the North, the Nara deer Park in the south and food and drink in Tokyo.

Should we rent a car, take taxis, buses or get the expensive JR rail pass? Or pay as we go for the train?

I think the rail pass was $500 for two people. We're staying 4 nights.
>>
Also, is the Maricar dead? Did Nitendo when their lawsuit? I wanted to do this.
>>
>>1260513
No, just volunteer anywhere. Make it clear you like helping people out around the community.
>>
>>1260595
There's no way. I got a 5 day in 14 day rail pass for 100 bucks not too long ago. The rail pass is better if you want to go to the fox village. You'll spend more time going there and back otherwise
>>
>>1260572
Great, thanks mate.
>>
>>1260596
That shit can't die soon enough. It's loud, stinks and only the cringiest weebs do it.
>>
>>1260596
i hope so, shittiest tourist trap ever, along with the robot restaurant
>>
>>1260441
Then why did they have tons of trash cans before they experienced one of the largest terrorist attacks pre-9/11

You're making up a reason for something that is well documented.
>>1260464
Shibuya clubs are nicer but Roppongi clubs are more fun.
>>
>>1260596
https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/867364280563146754

Still at it as of two weeks ago
>>
>>1260645
Did he say "that bitch"?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170611-134246.png (522KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170611-134246.png
522KB, 1440x2560px
>>1260605
Yeah, 259 each USD. Are we talking about two different things? Or is this what you got?
>>
>>1260680
He's proba ly talking about regional passes. Yhere are passes for Tokyo-Tohoku, Tokyo- Kansai, etc. Sorry I'm a bit fru mk. They onlh work in the areas outli ed for each pass, not nationally.
>>
>>1260470

Botanical garden if that's your cuppa tea. Or go check out the Den Den Town or the ghetto: Shin Sekai.
>>
Shimanami Kaido cycling was worth it, though for a first timer like me, i had to stop from time to time because of the gorgeous view, also helped some Japanese along the way because they had bike trouble, they made endless bows that made me embarrassed a bit,
>>
>>1260516
>>1260521
Harajuku is not what it used to be in that regard--things change, memes die, etc.

However, I usually see people dressed wacky in and around Takeshita Street. Usually girls dressed really foofy frilly doll-like Loli style.
>>
>>1260596
As far as I know, it's still going on.
>>1260614
>>1260616
>triggered by people having a jolly time riding go karts around the streets of Tokyo

NO FUN ALLOWED HURRR
Bet you buzzkills are the fucking life of the party.
>>
>>1260136
I found some nendoroids in good condition and alot of old classic anime stuff in some discount bins when I was there. Stay away from the main strip in akihabara. Overpriced.
>>
>>1260516
lol maybe like 10 years ago. Yoyogi Park had some greaser type guys when i went there with pompadours. The park is near harujuku station maybe like a 5 minute walk from there.
>>
>>1259700
Kyoto, Sapporo, Mt Fuji.....
>>
If I land at Haneda at 2pm, can I make it to Narita by 6pm in time for my international flight? I know the bus schedule won't work for that, but the trains should run much more regularly, right?
>>
Fuck guys, I got out at a wrong station. Now I gotta wait 2 fucking hours until my shinkansen arrive. Had to buy a new shinkansen ticket. I fucking hate this country, the train announced that I was at the right station. Fuck this gay shit
>>
>>1260853
You must have been mistaken. Train announcements are never incorrect.
>>
>>1260853 #
Had you tried to get refund ticket fee?
You may be get it back even if it was totally your fault.
>>
>>1260853
>There was a problem with the train that wasn't clearly and completely explained

You're a god damn liar
>>
>>1260817
Harajuku is not Yoyogi Park

Harajuku and Omotesando are where people buy cutting edge fashionable clothes that normal people would actually wear. Even Takeshita street is 99% stuff that is highly fashionable for 14 year old girls
>>
>>1260853
Then you just wait for the next train at the station. Don't leave the platforms
>>
>>1260846
Assuming no delays on the first flight, yes. It will take around 2 hours to get to Narita by train, you can find the exact cost/time/route by plugging your arrival and departure stations into Hyperdia.

That said. Are both of these flights on the same ticket? If not, I'd want more time. Delays happen, and I'd hate to miss the second leg on a separate ticket because the first flight was delayed for weather, maintenance, ESA attacks, or a host of other reasons.
>>
I'm going to Japan between July 7-21 and I'm going be in Tokyo (7 days), Kyoto (3 days), Osaka (3 days) and Iga-Ueno (1 days).

How difficult is to get Shinkansen seats from Tokyo to Kyoto and from Osaka to Tokyo without reservation?
>>
>>1260875
Get to the station before the first Shinkansen of the day and wait until there's a spare seat.
>>
Where is a volcano in Japan where I can walk up and look into a lava pit?
>>
>>1260869
Are you daft man. Like I don't know what I'm talking about. Lolis are still a presence on Takeshita street and when did I say Harajuku and Omotesando arent that way? What is your issue?
>>
So I'll be staying at Japan for 3 months. October to January

I was googling getting an apartment and apparently it's pretty hard to get an apartment for 3 months for foreigners.

What do you guys suggest? For the anons that stay for long duration. Did you guys do hotels, apartments, share house??
>>
Anyone in Tokyo want to check out some jazz bars? I'm lonely asf

LINE ID is muzujazz

>>1260881
Give it a rest
>>
Went to Japan a few years ago.
Think it would be ok to go during the Olympics in a few years?
>>
>>1260834
I saw them
>>
>>1259796
Erlich Bachman?
>>
I'll be in Tokyo in 11 hours, what should I do? Anything at all.

Also, what Michelin Star eateries are worth checking out?
>>
>>1260885
I went with a share house from Sakura House (though only for one month).
>>1260893
if you want to see the olympics yes. If you want to see the country, it doesn't make sense going during the period with most tourists where accommodation prices might go through the roof
>>
I'm not enjoying my stay at Hakodate at all. The locals are trying to scam the shit out of me all the time. I guess I'll just stick with the sight seeing and not associate with the locals.
>>
>>1260910
how are they trying to scam you?
>>
>>1260912
Charging me extra for food. The price was clearly stated outside of the restaurant but the owner tried to charge me 700yen more. I said wtf kind of ass pull ya trying to do and he said he will discount 500 yen. I just paid and left, fucking island monkies.
>>
File: PkCxaU0[1].jpg (220KB, 1035x668px) Image search: [Google]
PkCxaU0[1].jpg
220KB, 1035x668px
Hi everyone! So I'm visiting Japan at the end of the month for 23 days. I'm going with my girlfriend and her little brother who are half japanese half cantonese. We're between the ages of 22 and 26. My girlfriend knows how to speak japanese which makes navigating alot easier for me. Our vacation would focus mainly on shopping, culture, food and experiences.

I would like to get some advice and recommendations on shops and areas to visit, things I must definitely go to and stuff.

My interests:

>(hand made) Avantgarde fashion
>Classic art
>Final Fantasy
>Artisanry
>Quality food
>Sightseeing and photography

My planning:

28-06 - 08-07: >Tokyo
08-07 - 16-07: >Osaka
16-07 - 20-07: >Tokyo

We've already decided to do some of the following things:

>Climb Fuji
>Go to Disney World
>See a wrestling show in Nagoya
>See the Hakata Gion Yamakasa race
>Visit the Tsukiji fish market

I'd also like to know if it's viable to go to the beach there from Tokyo and what'd you recommend?
>>
>>1260913
that sucks, had something similar happen to me at a Izakaya in Tokyo where they had an extra fee just for sitting. Best bet is to go to restaurants that have vending machines for ordering
>>
>>1260871
They're on the same ticket. Hopefully I can change it then. Thanks.
>>
>>1260914
From Tokyo you can take a train to Kamakura and then another train to Enoshima. Kamakura has a very famous Shinto shrine you can stop by. You can walk straight from the station along this crowded market street filled with shops and yattai. There's a Ghibli shop as well if I remember correctly.

Enoshima is a beautiful island with a shrine and these old religious caves just above the sea level. If it's a clear day, you can see Mt Fuji in the distance. There's a couple of beaches there, but I didn't do any swimming so I can't vouch for the quality. Even if you don't go swimming, it's worth a day trip from Tokyo.

As a bonus, you can stop at Hase station, it's between Kamakura and Enoshima, and see the Daibutsu. It's a giant Buddha statue that you can pay a nominal fee and go inside if you like.
>>
>>1260914
>(hand made) Avantgarde fashion
Probably Shibuya. I think Shimokitazawa might be good too.
>Classic art + Artisanry
Probably the Taito area north-east of Ueno
>Final Fantasy
Akihabara
>Quality food
>Sightseeing and photography
pretty much everywhere and scattered

>28-06 - 08-07: >Tokyo
>08-07 - 16-07: >Osaka
>16-07 - 20-07: >Tokyo

umm do you know what you will be doing for 8 days in Osaka? Because there really isn't that much there desu. usually 3 days max are what I would recommend. You could and should definitely spend 2-3 nights in Kyoto, with that time perhaps even 1-2 nights in Hiroshima (get the rail pass to save money on trains).

>Climb Fuji
you'll have to spend usually 2 days on that (up in the afternoon, back the next day by mid day). Bring a lot of warm clothing, it's freezing cold on the top.

>I'd also like to know if it's viable to go to the beach there from Tokyo and what'd you recommend?
Yes, go to Kamakura/Enoshima, there's a nice beach there
>>
>>1260914
>8 fucking days in Osaka

Even with trips to Kyoto, Nara and Kobe that's still a lot.
>>
>>1260910
>>1260913

Google "table charge"
>>
>>1260891
do you know where they are, or are you asking for help finding them?
>>
>>1259425
Re: teaching Japan, I have a bachelor's degree and can BS some teaching experience, but is taking TEFL courses worth it? If so, does it matter if I take them online (cheapest option) versus signing up for actual classes?
>>
>>1260516
The cosplayers are in Yumenoo Bridge, Odaiba. Saw lots of photo shoots there.
>>
>>1260832
That main strip also has many discount stores.
>>
>>1260885
It's not hard to get unless they all are booked. I was 30 days in Sakura House, got own small apartment but it was far away from many places and was quite costly. After the 1 month I just stayed in hostels for 50 days for cheaper and better location + I did not have to houseworks like in apartment.
>>
>>1261104
Does this still happen in Sundays?
>>
>>1261003
You don't need a TEFL certificate. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>1261003
If your degree is in teaching then no, but if not it wouldn't hurt. I did a 120 hour course (20 hours in class, 100 hours of online modules/assessments) for $400 and got into JET this year.

It's mainly about trying to be well-rounded/fill the gaps in your application - my degree wasn't related to teaching either (but I had some experience working kids as part of my degree) so I felt doing the course would improve my chances a bit.
>>
so how hard is it to find a decent job with a CS degree in Japan?

would like to possibly live here for awhile but I'm not going to teach english
>>
>>1259503
Growing up in FL, 29C is an average day
>>
Hey guys, i was planning on buying a 14 day JR pass. I used the JR pass calculator and my trips added up to to 45000 Yen, just a few yen shy of the regular price. Should I still buy the JR pass for convenience or am I better off buying individual tickets for each train ride?
>>
>>1261128
Its actually surprisingly easy to find a job AFTER you have a visa, but its very difficult to get someone to sponsor the initial visa. Despite what the English companies will tell you during orientation you basically have the entire length of your visa to find a job and its surprisingly easy to switch visas if you're qualified for the job. Otherwise you're only option is going through some where like Rakuten

Get an English gig and then attend hackernews etc meetups
>>
>>1260913
100% guarantee that charge was written all over the menu and on the outside and you went in without reading. Good chance you were drunk

Scams aren't a thing in Japan unless you're trying to pay for pussy
>>
File: 1465680790756.gif (2MB, 537x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465680790756.gif
2MB, 537x400px
>skype call with school in Nagoya on Friday
Anyone attend a language school in Nagoya? I'll be there for around 2 years starting in October, any recommendations for cool stuff to do in the city while I'm there?
>>
>>1260935
>Can't fill your time for 8 days with trips to surrounding cities in one of the largest cities in the world.
>>
>>1261152
>what is zainichi
>>
>>1261152
>100% guarantee that charge was written all over the menu

Probably it wasn't, as the extra charge is typical in izakaya so customers expect it. But it's not a "table charge" as >>1260942 suggests. It's for the small dishes of food that are automatically served once you sit down. I agree that it's annoying, and the price/quality/quantity combination isn't that great in the majority of izakaya to begin with, but it's the cultural norm and you have to accept it if you eat in these places.
>>
>>1261154
To teach or to learn?

I live in Nagoya, I could recommend you some stuff. Don't have that much time at the moment though.
>>
Oh shit, I forgot to buy tickets for the sumo tournament of july in Nagoya and now it's getting expensive.
Are the tickets sold the same day at the entrance cheaper or should I just buy one now.

I will be there the 11th or 12th.
>>
>>1260918
Expanding on Enoshima, especially if you are going with your girlfriend. At the top of Enoshima there is a bell that supposedly if you ring it with someone you will be with then forever. People also bring a padlock to the top and you write your names on it and lock it to this like metal fence thing to symbolize your love. During late July and August the beaches around Enoshima have lots of people and lots of beach hut restaurants and stuff to eat at. Totally hit Kamakura and Enoshima/Fujisawa.
>>
>>1260913
>>1260910

Hakodate teaching anon here. You still in town bro?
>>
>>1261193
Oh, also looking at the time you will be here, if you do head down to the beach, if you go to Hiratsuka station, which is a little bit past Kamakura and Fujisawa, on the weekend of July 7th you can see the biggest Tanabata festival in Kanto.
>>
>>1261195
Yeah, I'm leaving tomorrow though. I'm around Yunokawa hotel area
>>
>>1261155
>one of the largest cities in the world
>pop. 2.7m

I want Osakaboos to leave
>>
how hard it is to become a language teacher in a school?
I want to teach french by the way, not a weeb at all but I want to leave this country and do something somewhere else
>>
>>1261221
the demand for French is comparatively low, so to get a teaching position, you're gonna need a teaching degree and relevant experience
>>
>>1260516
Yep, dead meme is dead, I was there a few days ago, and the only thing out of the ordinary that I saw was a dude dressed in Lolita.
>>
>>1260596
Maricar is still going at it, saw a group maybe an hour ago.
>>
Need some help here. I'm going to be staying in Tokyo for 20 days and take my time going around and seeing/doing new stuff. I've nailed my living place down to two choices:

>http://www.the-ascott.com/en/japan/tokyo/ascott-marunouchi-tokyo/apartment-types/studio.html
>https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17051394

The Ascott looks much nicer and is probably amazing to stay at. But the Airbnb place looks pretty good too and it lets me make my own food easily, and it's also half the price.
>>
If I got a connecting flight with like a 6 hours layover and they give me the boarding pass for the second flight and don't have to go through customs etc instead I get left in the departures lounge in the layover location, does that mean I'm stuck in the airport? Or can I still go out for a bit?
>>
>>1261250
>$191AUD a night Airbnb
Bloody hell, anon, why would you want to spend so much on accommodation for just yourself (it's a different matter completely if you're going with a significant other)?
If you cut half that off then you'd have almost $2k to waste on pachinko.

>>1261252
Unless you want to deal with customs both ways then you're better off staying in the airport.
>>
hakodate teaching guy, wanna grab a drink?
>>
>>1261253
Not planning on spending a ton of money otherwise other than food at restaurants and some bar drinking. There's a Japanese friend that I'm going to Rock in Japan with and I'm slightly interested in Comiket. But other than that I just want to walk the streets, take in the sights, maybe do some light shopping and whatever. I'm not rich so I'd like to have a little bit fancier place to live than what I'm used to.
>>
Has anybody been to Naoshima? How much time is recommended to spend there? I am considering if two nights is too much
>>
I'm only on my 5th day here and I've done so much walking my IT Band is killing me and I can barely descend stairs. I've got like 9 days left. How fucked am I?

I really regret not getting travelers insurance.
>>
Planning to go to Japan with my sister from september 12th to october 5th.
We want to go to Mt Fuji area for one or two days, is housing in Hakone or Atami a good idea or should we stay in Tokyo and do the trip from there?
>>
>>1261250
>>1261261
I wouldn't trust anybody on airbnb personally. There's a lot of money involved, and in order to get something as nice as a hotel room, you often need to pay close to the same price for an apartment.

Then there's also the fact that, at least in my country (Norway) it's much, much, much cheaper to buy a flight+hotel package than it is to buy flight and hotel separately. Like we're talking $1500 difference.
>>
>>1261199

Damn. Worked today and tomorrow starting at 2PM.

Pretty hard to meet up in that case...
>>
>>1261280
just get a cab m8 I don't know where you live at, but won't take much time
>>
>>1261281

Sorry mate, too tired.
IF you want, take a cab to a bar called TCV. English speakers there and they usually stay open until midnight/1AM
>>
>>1261282
cool, sleep tight
>>
>>1261276
I used airbnb for the first time this last trip and it was pretty nice. Probably as expensive as a hotel room yeah, but I was in the area I wanted to stay at and had a balcony on the 13th floor, overlooking Tokyo (I could see the entire Skytree from there)
>>
>>1261238
>the only thing out of the ordinary that I saw was a dude dressed in Lolita.
well, was he cute?
>>
>>1261261
>I'm not rich
then get the $30/night rooms on airbnb not the fancy-hotel rooms
>>
Ok guys, so I'm starting planning in detail my trip (even though it's still a bit less than 3 months to go, but I'm hyped as fuck, it will be my first time in Asia).

Now, we don't want to rush from one place to another but at the same time we want to see as many things as possible. It sounds contradictory but you know what I mean.

As for Tokyo, I'd like to know if it would be possible to visit all this in one day:

>Asakusa + Senso-ji temple + Skytree + Akihabara

And the same for Kyoto:

>Fushimi Inari-taisha + Katsura Imperial Villa

I've got everything pretty much sorted out but I'm worried these two days we'll have to rush.

And last thing, does Himeji castle het really overcrowded on weekends? I think we could only go there on Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks anons, any help or recommendation will be welcome.
>>
>>1261296

Doable, although I would recommend the order Skytree - Asakusa/Sensoji (Sensoji is in Asakusa)-Akihabara. This is of course depending on how much of a weeb you are.

don't know what the villa is but Fushimi inari is doable in half a day so I reckon it's enough

>And last thing, does Himeji castle het really overcrowded on weekends?
probably, it's a very famous attraction
>>
>>1261270
Take a day or two easy. Try to seriously cut down on the walking. Grab a knee brace (or two) from a pharmacy if your knee is hurting. My knees were killing me for about 5 days after hiking Mt Takao, taking a day off and using knee braces for the next week and a half helped a lot.
>>
>>1261296

Not sure on the Villa's location, but if you get to Fushimi Inari early (think 6-7 AM) you can walk through with no crowds. I did the entire circuit, walking slowly, in about 1.5 hours.

>And last thing, does Himeji castle het really overcrowded on weekends?

It was crowded, but not unbearably so, when I visited midday on a Thursday back in April. Weekends would probably be worse, though I don't know how much so.
>>
>>1261299
>>1261322
I see. Thanks guys.
>>
Is there any place in Japan that is similar to the Nordic arctic area where one can go hiking? Getting a bit bored of the European nature and want to see something new.
>>
>>1260238
>How do I become friends with strangers literally anywhere
You don't? I don't know if you've ever made a friend before, but generally you have to have some sort of shared interest, or any sort of starting-off point. You will have absolutely zero success poaching randos on the street or even in stores ("hey uh, we're both in this animu merch store; you like naked girls too, huh?"), and going out to bars will generally make you "friends" for one night. Like the other anon said, look for meetups relevant to your interests. Language meetups aren't a bad place to start, but if there are any specific meetups (woodwind instruments, craft beer, juggling, whatever), maybe try for those.
>>
>>1260437
Google the word "yokocho" and I think you'll turn up a few places.
>>
>>1260516
Yup. You'll see some goofy folks on Takeshita street, but honestly nothing much weirder than you might see in the "happening" parts of a big city in your own country. Harajuku is no longer a good destination for peoplewatching, but it's still a pretty cool place to get fashionable clothes (if you're the size of a japanese girl).
>>
>>1261221
If you're not a weeb then why not go somewhere else? There are dozens of countries that are cheaper to move to and live in.
>>
>>1261252
6 Hours isn't much time, anyway. If you're at Narita, for example, there's nothing nearby anyway, and you'd have to waste literally half of that time getting to/from an actual city.
>>
>>1261270
Take a day to rest. Walk only to the grocery store and back, turn on the AC, and spend 16 hours jerkin it to your waifu of choice.
>>
>>1261360
>when you love skyrim and anime equal amounts
>>
>>1261261
>I'm not rich
Wonder why...
>>
>>1261296
Easily done, I walked that whole way from north Chuo and I started at like 13 o'clock.
>>
Does Japan have these stores where it's basically a room full of washing machines where I can wash my clothes? I don't want to carry too much, so I thought I could just wash my clothes once or twice instead of packing a lot
>>
>>1261397
Yes, you can find coin laundries that run whole day.
>>
>>1261393
Great, thank you!
>>
>>1261397
The only town I couldn't find one of these was Nagasaki.
>>
File: 1466121319543.jpg (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1466121319543.jpg
33KB, 250x250px
>>1261423
>That's where I'm going to teach English

Coin laundromats not withstanding, how did you find Nagasaki?
>>
Anyone ever stay at the top of mt fuji?

Seems fun but reviews are a mixed bag that I find. Obviously I know the hut, are just that so not expecting anything outside of a roof over my head
>>
>>1261449
Really neat place. It had almost a small town feel to it despite the harbor and shipbuilding facilities. A lot of different architecture styles scattered around the city, probably thanks to it being the main trade port of Japan for a long time. My hotel was actually right next to the old British embassy building. I definitely want to go back so I can try more of the little hole in the wall restuarants.
>>
File: qfvwoul1ddg7dcgekiqq.jpg (305KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
qfvwoul1ddg7dcgekiqq.jpg
305KB, 640x400px
Hey guys, I'm going to Japan in a couple of weeks with my senpai and we initially were planning to try to watch the tuna auctions at Tsukiji, however, I have read online that it's a bit overrated and you have to wait for hours just to watch 20 minutes of men yelling. So we've decided to just visit the outer and possibly the inner markets, but I have found mixed information online regarding the opening times for tourists for both the outer and inner markets.

Could someone clarify the opening times for both markets?

I have already confirmed that they will be open on the day that we'd like to go.
>>
>>1261180
To learn, I'll also be working part time while I am there. I would love some recommendations if you're willing and have the time!
>>
What are some good beaches to visit in japan, mostly staying around tokyo, but don't mind doing some bus travel
>>
Has anyone gone to theme parks in Japan? Not saying just going to Disney world, but some other smaller places. Just wondering if they were worth it or anything to look into while there. It's been ages since I have been to a theme/amusement park
>>
>>1261491
Kamakura/Enoshima
>>
>>1261502
Nagashima Spaland is great if you like coasters. FujiQ has some awesome ones as well, but Dodonpa is currently having a lot of construction work done. Both are worth a visit if you have the time.
>>
>>1261379
Japan is more than moe animu and mango believe it or not.
>>
yay my Ghibli museum tix have been successfully booked
>>
>>1261556
How quickly do they normally sell out?
>>
File: IMG_20170613_175041.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170613_175041.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Heading to Hiroshima for a couple of days on Friday. Anything specifically worth doing/visiting?
>>
>>1259807
Overall, foreign women don't typically travel alone or seek services in yakuza areas. If they realize that maybe you're not a tourist they might try to grab your wrist and talk to you, but just yank your hand away and walk away. I think most western women would be fine because they're raised to be more on guard around strangers.
>>
>>1261562
I'm not sure, this is my second time I haven't had an issue yet but I hear a full month usually goes within a few hours of them being released
>>
>>1261578
Hiroshima yaki
>>
File: IMG_20170614_135003243.jpg (5MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170614_135003243.jpg
5MB, 3120x4160px
Leaving Japan today :( quick 2 weeks. Really want to go back being able to speak a good bit of Japanese now. I really don't want to go home though
>>
>>1261612
How different is it from the ones in Kansai?
>>
>>1261578
Okonomiyaki-mura. Yamato museum if you like history and model ships. Mt Misen hike for an amazing view of the Seto Inland Sea, or just take the cable car if you're a wuss.
>>
Guys, I really miss Tokyo. Everything was convenient and interesting there and there was no lack of cute girls to leer at. Now that I'm in Kyoto all I see is old people and Chinese tourists, and it all feels fake like Disney.

Not to mention that my leg is seriously giving me hell so I'm isolated in my hostel room and can't even see all the sights I came to see.
>>
Sorry in advance for the blog-ish post. I'm not very well-travelled because I'm pretty insecure about languages being my one academic weakness and don't want to inconvenience people. I also work full time and study part time and unfortunately don't have a lot of time to dedicate to learning a language.

I sucked it up and went to Tokyo with my partner, and that was after a year of spending 10-15 minutes most days jotting down Japanese phrases and etiquette in a notebook. The notebook served me well, but about 10-20% of interactions were awkward. I felt bad because at the end of the day it's their country and their language, I don't want to come to a country and make people feel awkward. I vowed that I wouldn't be back in Japan until I knew more of the language.

My partner enjoyed it so much that he wants to go back in a few months. I feel like a hypocrite for going back on my word, but I honestly wouldn't mind going back so soon myself. As there are people here who live in Japan, is there any sort of consensus on tourist behaviour? We were on our best behaviour and only spoke Japanese, but that was limited. Is it a case of 'As long as you try, it's okay'? This probably sounds like insane rambling, I just hate the idea of inconveniencing people or making people feel awkward through my faults and lack of knowledge.
>>
>>1261619
You are autistic, go see a doctor
It's not a troll/bully post btw
>>
>>1261628
Autism is based on the inability to reciprocate with people and identify their thoughts and feelings. I'm not sure how you got that from a post entirely regarding minimising other people's discomfort.
>>
>>1261619
>and only spoke Japanese
Why would you do that?
>>
>>1261635
A combination of reading that fewer people will speak English than you assume and not wanting to be a shitty tourist. We saw several shitty tourists while we were in Tokyo and it made us want to cringe out of our skins. These people work hard and their level of customer service is the best I've ever seen, the last thing they need is Yankee Doodle Dandy yelling at them in English, which I saw one too many times for my liking
>>
>>1261616
>>1261612
Thanks
>>
File: IMG_20170614_223119.jpg (14KB, 241x233px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170614_223119.jpg
14KB, 241x233px
>>1261619
>>
>>1261631
That post is the very definition of how you don't reciprocate with people, as every normal person will think you're a "strange" person at best. You just...Don't think about stuff like >>1261619.
>>
>>1261631
Another example would be sending a poem to a girl you love. You are, in fact, expressing your feelings but it's something only an autistic person could do
>>
>>1261651
I recognise that my language fears are dumb and irrational, but I don't see the big deal about the rest of it. I probably wouldn't be asking this if I didn't see for myself just how badly behaved tourists can be in Tokyo. We saw a crowd of frat boys slowly yelling 'WE. ARE. FROM. AMERICA. WE. CAME. FROM. FAR. AWAY.' to get into the Ghibli Museum, only to then try to sneak through a window when they were turned away. We heard a girl talkly loudly about getting fingered on a hostel floor on the Yamanote Line full of salarymen who looked like they hadn't slept in years. Part of me feels like part of the problem by coming to the country and only knowing as much Japanese as I can jot down in a little notebook. I'm just interested in hearing from people who live in the country as to whether they view people like me as a headache and whether I'm maybe being selfish for not making more of an effort to learn the language.
>>
>>1261658
Seriously just stop.

Live and let live. The Japanese probably couldn't give a shit if you learned some of their language. Just be a polite respectable decent human being and that's enough.
>>
>>1261658
Amerilards are like that in every country they visit, not just Japan.
Also the other anon is right, you sound like slightly autist and insecure, since you're non-stop talking about yourself and how you are perceived by the others. You talked japanese? Great. You did some mistakes? Who gives a shit, you're a damn tourist.
>>
>>1261659
This really.It's considerate that you're trying to be polite and learn the language. That is enough. It's the same as any other country. Making a small effort to ease communications and fit in is entirely fine. They'll know you're a tourist and don't expect the world from you.
>>
>>1261658
Japan had 20 million tourists coming to the country last year and they are actively promoting it. How many of those do you think speak more than konichiwa?

nobody gives a fuck really
>>
Lived here for 8 months (Sapporo).
Feel free to ask any questions if you want.
>>
>>1261658
Maybe you can use HelloTalk or something to speak to more natives. Maybe you'll feel more comfortable that way, because it's helped me a lot. I know others are calling you autistic, but I can relate to how you feel. I felt like I was being disrespectful if I didn't attempt to learn some of the language before going there. They appreciate that you're trying to learn their language and will ask you "why?" a lot, but as long as you make an attempt, it's ok.

Also there are always going to be assholes who think that shouting will make others understand them.
>>
>>1261667
How popular are sports (basketball specifically) in Japan?
>>
>>1261613
qt blurry birds

I love urban parks
>>
>>1261613
I went to that same place (not that exact spot though) and saw the same thing; old man feeding birds on his hands.
>>
>>1261658
Get your Canadian flag patch
>>
File: hex-484541119.jpg (71KB, 486x729px) Image search: [Google]
hex-484541119.jpg
71KB, 486x729px
>>1261658
>We heard a girl talking loudly about getting fingered on a hostel floor on the Yamanote Line

Did she look like this?
>>
So am I basically fucked if I can't eat gluten?

I have Celiac disease, I imagine staying in a hostel with shared utilities would be a disaster for cross contamination when cooking my own food.

I guess I'll basically miss out on all good Japanese food, maybe I will live off fruit for a week and white rice?
>>
>>1261777
How weird, she looks kind of like that girl I fingered in a Sydney nightclub last weekend.
>>
>>1261787
Just go to some ramen shops m8, it would probably be just about the same for 5-800 yen
>>
>>1261658
No one will give a shit. You'll obviously earn some bonus points for knowing some japanese and being able to order stuff/ask for directions/say thank you an such; but no jap worth anything will care as soon as you are out of their sight. Obviously not being a shitty tourist is what you should always do, but it really is not hard to not be a shitty tourist.
>>
Where can I find Japanese prostitutes in Tokyo?
>>
>>1261619
Honestly, you're already better than 90% of the weebs who make it over there. Most people don't learn any japanese, don't attempt any communication outside of pointing gesturing, and don't care very much about the comfort of the locals. Just learn a tiny bit more and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1261667
What attractions are there in Sapporo? Like museums, botanical gardens, etc.? I'm considering a visit, but don't want to go if there's nothing to fill my time with.
>>
>>1261835
1. You can't. 99% of the sex workers in Japan are trafficked in from other, poorer asian countries.

2. Read the OP.
>>
>>1261835
Walk around the red light district and have tons of cash
>>
So if I'll be in tokyo for about 30 days as a tourist whats the best way to pay for trains? All the rail passes seem like they're for traveling between cities, which I probably wont be doing. Is there a monthly or weekly pass deal, or will I be stuck paying for the train daily.
>>
>>1261820
>ramen

has gluten in it
>>
>>1261864
JR pass will get you most anywhere, check the OP. There are also a large amount of bus services that can take you most places fairly cheap, but if you are doing a lot of stops a JR pass is almost always cheaper
>>
If I know only a pitiful amount of Japanese and just dive into a random noodle shop in Tokyo, how easy is it to figure out what to order?
>>
>>1261910
Just look at a few places prior to going, import the characters into google translate and have it pronounced and practiced a few times
>>
Just got into Tokyo today, but we traveled east from the US with a layover in Switzerland; the jetlag is not as bad as expected, but we are laying low for now.
Do you guys take a nice easy day for day 1 visit, or do you go in fast and hard?
>>
>>1261916
Depends on how long the trip is. If it's a weeklong trip I'll jump into it, because I'll need to manage my time pretty efficiently to get the most out of it. If it's a 2+ week trip, I can spare a day to rest (walk around the immediate neighbourhood, hit up a grocery store, review plans for the rest of the trip, etc.).
>>
>>1261916
Depends when my flight gets in, my upcoming trip lands around 1pm. By the time I go through everything and get into tokyo I think it would be around 4-5. If I was landing earlier I might go out more but if it gets that late I'll just rest the rest of the day, get a few goods from a local store and get to bed early
>>
>>1261899
It seems like a JR pass is $500 for 21 days worth, that sounds like way more than within-tokyo train fare could possibly add up to. Is it really actually cheaper for just stopping between parts of the city?
>>
Anyone in central Tokyo right now that wants to grab a bite?
Bit of a green traveler here.
>>
>>1261864
JR pass is not worth it of you're only staying in Tokyo. The JR pass pays off when you take the Shinkansen for intercity travel, such as Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto and Hiroshima
>>
>>1261942
I'll be in tokyo in a week if you'd still be down to eat then.
>>1261943
Thanks, is there a better way to go about it than just buying individual tickets every time i ride the train?
>>
>>1261864
Also, Tokyo Metro has 1, 2 and 3 day passes for tourists, so that's something you can look into.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/
>>
>>1261943
My bad, check out my other post for Tokyo metro passes. >>1261945
They look affordable, but it might be a hassle buying a pass every few days.
>>
>>1261944
I'll still be in Japan but I may be in Osaka. We'll see.
>>
>>1261948
There are busses that can get you to Osaka and other cities relatively cheap
http://japanbuslines.com/en/

if you are only going to one or two places outside of tokyo it will probably be the most effective way. Biggest issue with doing a bus pass is just it takes a while to get from point a to b.
>>
>>1261477
really fucking early
I want to say it was 4am
>>
Give me a good place for breakfast near Tokyo station.
What is a common Japanese breakfast anyways?
>>
>>1261864
holy shit how has nobody given him the answer yet. Get a Suica or a Pasmo and top it up with money
>>
I'm staying in Okubo area until 18th if anyone is interested.
Maybe tomorrow I'm going to either Asakusa/Ueno zoo or Akihabara.
>>
File: IMG_20170615_162956.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_162956.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
In Kyoto atm, heading to Hiroshima next. Any recommendations for other cities to visit and stay? Osaka? Fukuoka?

Got a JR Pass btw
>>
>>1261944
Il be in Tokyo on 21 - 23rd if anyone wants to meet for a beer?
>>
>>1261969
Also got JR pass
I'm more into nature sight seeing, along with Hiroshima and Shimanami Kaido cycling in (onomichi and imabari), Osaka and Kyoto, went to Nara and Yamanashi area (not sure if theres much JR line in there). Only went to Yokohama to visit a friend
There is this bunny island somewhere in hiroshima, we didn't manage to go there though, along with the jetboat from matsuyama to hiroshima
>>
>>1261864
Just buy a pasmo and charge it with like ¥10000 yen. It's got a super strong chip so you can just stick it in your wallet and swipe it when you enter and leave a station. Easy peezy.
>>
>>1261673
most people love it. any bar with a tv will favour having the baseball on over any other sport. you see alot of adverts, billboards, clothing etc... related to it. So pretty popular.

>>1261837
Sapporo isn't exactly the most thrilling place to live in Japan. There are some points of interest, but they pale in comparison to most other areas in Japan. My gf was born here, and kind've hates it (but she lived in tokyo for 3 years). On the plus side it's not overly touristy. Another anon disagreed with me in another thread, but i personally hardly see any other gaijins walking around (which i like)
>>
When does Japanese Amazon usually deliver? I'm leaving on the 24th at 1pm and the item I want to pre-order will be delivered on the 24th
>>
New bread >>1262029

Sorry for the flipped picture, by the time I noticed it was too late to delete the thread
>>
How difficult is it to get a general range of materials in Japan? I am big on home crafting, electronic tinkering, and general crafting projects. Would they be harder to get than it would here in the States?
>>
File: 1425856445884.jpg (161KB, 1400x730px) Image search: [Google]
1425856445884.jpg
161KB, 1400x730px
how can i run off to japan and find the love of my life
>>
>>1259483
Asakusa, before you head out of the little market to go to that big ass shrine.
>>
I will be traveling from Tokyo --> Mt. Fuji --> Kyoto --> Osaka

>August
>never been in Japan before
>travel by public transport

What I like:
>Sightseeing nature (especially with good views like on a mountain)
>Fascinating structures like big temples/buildings
>City skylines

I already thought of visiting gardens and temples in kyoto, and the bamboo forest. In Osaka, the Osaka castle, and I want to go to Mt. Koya.
Looking for more cool things to visit.
Do you think Nagoya is worth visiting? And what about Hakone?

If you have any recommendations for me, please let me know, I'll highly appreciate your help :)
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.