[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 30

File: 02_day.jpg (269KB, 1280x824px) Image search: [Google]
02_day.jpg
269KB, 1280x824px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1253896
>>
>>1256804
Yes, at any major station you should be able to purchase a new one at a recharge/ticket machine.
>>
>>1256882
So memes aside, how is Kyoto actually? I have wanted to go there for as long as I can remember, I know it will be crowded and full of tourists, but that unfortunate but inescapable fact aside, how did those of you who have been there like it?
>>
>>1256895
Kyoto is nice.
>>
South Korea is better
>>
>>1256897
t. Park Tae-Ho
>>
>>1256897
>*South Korea (meaning Seoul and maybe Busan) is better if you want to engage in extreme degeneracy and party all the time OR you really like fermented pepper and cabbage.
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>1256882
Where was this photo taken?
>>
>>1256808
I will
>>
Going to japan and not the most amazing at Japanese. When you went how much did you know? How was it when you spoke English or your native language?

I basically know how to say where or what I need to go to, order food, and a few basic compliments/mannerisms. Is that going to be enough for most of my time, traveling to a few places outside Tokyo and kinda wondering what the perception would be like or any tips you guys could share.
>>
I must have not seen this new Japan General and posted in the old one, could someone please provide some feedback on my trip itinerary;
>>1256898
>>1256902

Thank you :)
>>
>>1256915
>South Korea
>better if you want to engage in extreme degeneracy

Prostitution is huge in SK, but I'm pretty sure Korea doesn't have happening bars or anything like that.
>>
>>1256932
How out of touch are you? South Korea is huge for expats who like to party. South Koreans are more open to that kind of thing than other East Asia countries too. People drink, go to music festivals, drink more, drink on the beach in Busan... There is even a nitrous craze in SK right now. I mean it isn't SEA but generally the people who like SK better than Japan are those types.
>>
>>1256932
>I'm pretty sure Korea doesn't have happening bars or anything like that.

You'd be wrong, faggot.
http://www.aljazeera com/indepth/features/2016/02/country-world-worst-drink-problem-160202120308308.html
>>
>>1256952
>>1256947

Kek they think "Happening Bars" means "bars that are 'happening'"

A misunderstanding on the part of the uninformed but still got a hearty lol.
>>
>>1256918
If I had to take a guess, from some building in Matsudo, but I could be very wrong.
>>
I'll be spending most time in Kansai and will be buying an ICOCA card but will eventually spend my last two days in Tokyo. Will my ICOCA card work in Tokyo or will I need to buy a Pasmo/Suica card?
>>
>>1256982
Yeah, ICOCA cards are part of the group of contact cards which have cross compatibility.

Full list, here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
>>
File: DSC_0262.jpg (1MB, 2144x1424px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0262.jpg
1MB, 2144x1424px
>>1256930
>get up early for the Tsukiji Fish Market auctions
People were lining up for the auction at 1am and filled up by 3~4 am when I went last august. You said you were staying in Shibuya, so I hope you have some way of getting there when the trains stop.
>>
>>1256992
Having been to the auction, why the fuck do people enjoy going? It felt like an even worse waste of time than Tokyo Tower.
>>
File: DSC_0351.jpg (1MB, 1068x1608px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0351.jpg
1MB, 1068x1608px
>>1256996
Enjoy? I doubt people enjoy losing an entire night's sleep for a 2 hour tour. But overall it was an interesting experience, plus it was free now Sushi-Dai, that's something I don't understand,, people line up at 3 in the morning while surrounded by several equally good sushi restaurants, feels like a fucking meme to me
>>
>>1256924

Went with my family last year, knew absolutely no japanese

Restaurants sometimes have english menus, and pointing at pictures always works.

We stayed entirely in Tokyo though
>>
>>1257007
How was the reception, I know most japanese are pretty friendly in person even if you don't know the language
>>
>>1256992
Yeah we understand we'll have to take a taxi. So you reckon we should line up earlier?

Also, I know it's summer but does it get cold inside?
>>
What is a free alternative to the Hyperdia app?
I don't think Google Maps is as good as Hyperdia for train timetables.
>>
File: 456.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
456.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>1256882
What are the chances of a Gaijin landing a government job? Also, on what side of the law does a foreigner stand on a general consensus? I've pondered the thought of moving there but I have a bad habit or reading horror stories.
>>
>>1257033
>What are the chances of a Gaijin landing a government job?

Without Japanese citizenship, zero. With Japanese citizenship, maybe, but you'd have to graduate from a good Japanese university, and your Japanese (reading, writing, speaking, listening comprehension) would have to be fluent.

>Also, on what side of the law does a foreigner stand on

The wrong side. If it's your word versus that of any Japanese person, you'll lose 99.99% of the time.
>>
>>1257036
That was within my expectations, didn't expect it to be easy, but even with citizenship and a good reputation with the community (pretty nice but keep to myself), I would still get screwed over? My concern is with situations like self-defense.
>>
Alright, so I'm 20 years old and don't have a driver's license. I'll be living in Japan for about three years (military), will I be able to get a Japanese driver's license?
For what it's worth, I already know I'm a fucking weirdo.
>>
>>1257046
I believe when I looked it up last, you had to have a drivers license from your own country then take an additional test. Could be different for military with ID and what not that you get, but I doubt it.
>>
>>1257046
How the fuck do you get a job in the military without knowing how to drive? Do you work in administration or something?
>>
>>1257044
>would still get screwed over

Yes, pretty much. If it's your word against theirs you're pretty certain to get screwed. But it's not too difficult to stay out of trouble in Japan, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

>situations like self-defense.

Then you're 100% screwed. Anyway, anon, no Japanese person is going to attack you unless you give them reason to. You're way over-thinking this.

>>1257046
>will I be able to get a Japanese driver's license?

Yes, but it will be a pain in the ass. You may have to attend driving school (really strict and really expensive), and then take oral and written exams, very possibly in Japanese. If you want to drive over here for 3 years GET A US DRIVER"S LICENSE! I can't emphasize this enough -- you're an idiot if you don't. With a US license, to get a Japanese license all you have to do is take a really easy 10-question multiple choice test in English and then a driving test (lots of song and dance, but easy to pass if you follow the steps).
>>
>>1257051
>If you want to drive over here for 3 years GET A US DRIVER"S LICENSE! I can't emphasize this enough -- you're an idiot if you don't

I'd also add exactly how much you want to drive vs public transportation. Unlike many places in the US, japans rail and bus system can basically take you anywhere as fast as a car. I think even top gear did a race across the country and it was basically the same as driving.
>>
>>1257051
I leave in a couple of weeks, so I won't have time. I guess I could get it when I come back for leave though.
>>
>>1257053
Check with your DMV state rules, some may be able to help you out
>>
>>1257056
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
>>
>>1257052
>japans rail and bus system can basically take you anywhere as fast as a car.

I really think this is a meme. If you're talking about big cities, or travel between big cities only, sure. But public transportation in the countryside, and to and between smaller towns/cities, isn't all that great (Hokkaido and Shikoku are good examples of this). If you want to get around and see places off the beaten track you really need to drive.

>>1257053

Take >>1257056's advice -- call your state DMV and pull the military card. Maybe they can help you out. If you can't, then ask at the base when you get here -- there may be some special military deal. Who knows? And if all else fails, get it while on leave. It's easy to rent cars in Japan and road trips here are fun; it's a shame not to take advantage of the opportunity.
>>
Going to Japan next week, this time Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima. Ive been to Japan before but only Tokyo area.
I remember we didn't get lost much in Tokyo, but is it the same for the other regions mentioned?

Gonna go cycling in Shimanami Kaido as well, anyone experienced it? One of our issues now is our luggage delivery since we don't want to carry it while cycling, ive seen delivery service but it depends on the hotel, also not sure if they rent out helmets along with the bicycle.

How is data there? i assume most are in 4G+/LTE Advanced? DO you get hakai'd if you torrent anything? stream anything? I don't remember doing that when i was there last time
>>
How do you meet people and hang out in Tokyo?
>>
So I'll be in Tokyo for 7 days Kyoto 3 and Osaka 3 and back to Tokyo for 1 day and fly back.

What day trips do you recommend from each place?
>>
>>1257093
I'd say take one day out from both places. Go to Nara and Kobe.
>>
>>1257093
Oh and from Tokyo, Yokohama and Kamakura.
>>
Would it be better to stay in Kyoto or Osaka if you are planning to explore the Kinki region?
>>
>>1257021
The warehouse where they do the actual bidding is refrigerated, but you'll only be there for 15ish mind so I wouldn't bother unless you are really sensitive to the cold.
Related link:
https://tokyocheapo.com/entertainment/9-things-you-should-know-before-visiting-the-tsukiji-fish-market-tuna-auction/
>>
Ok so I'm thinking of going to Tokyo from Oct. 23rd to Nov. 1st alone and I'm not sure about the accommodation situation. If my main interests are basically Akihabara (games, records etc.) and some sightseeing, would a hotel suit me best or would moving from guest houses/hostels to another be a better solution? Is the latter cheaper compared to just staying in one hotel for the whole trip? And how easy is it to find such spots without any reservations? I'm also not sure about the Japan Rail Pass, it'd be pretty expensive and I think I would just stay in Tokyo. Fuck, I want to buy the flights already but I feel like I should plan this way more before booking anything.
>>
Anyone keen to meet up with the bruddas? Hitting TKY in November-December
>>
>>1256895
Kyoto is nice, but you should prepare for a fuckton of tourists, as it is heavily sold as a tourist spot.
>>
>>1257154
Book an AirBnB, super easy in Japan and very reasonable prices. Search in Sumida area, as this is one of the most offered areas for tourists as it is near the SkyTree and also a few stops away from Akihabara. You can also enjoy the views of their canal(?) like the ones you see on chinese cartoons.
>>
>>1256895
I found it to be pretty relaxing when I got away from the tourists. Walking along the Kamo at night is comfy, and Fushimi Inari makes a for great walk at sunrise.
>>
>>1256895
The best part of Kyoto is the train platform that goes to Osaka
>>
>>1257033
>What are the chances of a Gaijin landing a government job?

try your own government first, embassy/consulate work
>>
>>1257142
Legend
>>
How fucked am I if I've been working here for a month but haven't applied for the national health insurance yet? Am I gonna get fined up the ass?

>>1257028
Google Maps' city train schedules, at least here in Tokyo, are accurate to the minute.

>>1257074
>Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima
All those places are extremely tourist friendly. You'll be fine.
>>
>>1256897
Good joke
>>
So, tell me, how bad is it now?

I went in 2013 when it was still not Zerg rushed by Chinese, but they still were everywhere.
>>
What's the latest you've booked a flight to japan with until you got completely fucked by prices?
>inb4 same day day before
>>
How do you spend your 1円? Because I've no idea how
>>
>>1257304
>1円
Saved it for memory sake
>>
>>1257304
Donation to temples
>>
>>1257287
Will you posturing faggots get over the Chinese thing. It's not THAT bad.
>>
>>1257318
Guess he has had experiences with them. Most I've heard/seen stick in their groups and rarely wander off unless they are in a closed off place like a park or stadium. They are among the worst tourists I believe given their history of just not giving to fucks about anything but themselves and other chinese.
>>
>>1257318
They are. Plus, with their number prone to invasion levels, they make hotels and shit unavailable, thus making them more expensive.

They're a nuisance, period.
>>
Hostels are so antisocial, man alive
>>
>>1257340
Well that's a first. Do tell.

Also are they also other foreign travelers or not
>>
>>1257343
Half and half. Maybe I just went at a quiet time
>>
Hey guys, I bought some tickets to watch several baseball games (Hanshin Tigers, Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters at Tokyo Dome, Yokohama Baystars). What can I expect and anything to look out for? Thanks.
>>
>>1257355
Well usually rule number 1 with socializing at a hostel is you need to talk to them if you want to be talked to.
>>
>>1256882
How long should I spend in Himeji? Planning to do Kyoto to Himeji then Tokyo after 2 nights in Kyoto
>>
>>1256882
went to the top floor of that building at sunset this past winter. insane.
>>
If they're in a group hostel people won't do much more than say hey to you in a hallway
>>
File: 342A5160.jpg (6MB, 4146x3204px) Image search: [Google]
342A5160.jpg
6MB, 4146x3204px
Took this my last trip to Tokyo and will be doing a lot of photography and wandering around again. In Tokyo from June 15th - 25th if anyone wants to grab food, take photos and just explore the city.
>>
>>1257082
Me here >>1257386
But basically just drinking at small bars, its hard to talk to people in Tokyo randomly as a foreigner unless you know the language and even then its a major city so most people are "cold" in a sense. I made some decent Japanese drinking buddies in Tokyo who added me on Facebook and want to hangout when I visit next. You just gotta be nice, buy someone a drink, communicate the best you can. Even making an attempt at broken Japanese is better than just not talking to someone.
>>
>>1257386
What gear do you use?
>>
I'm heading to Japan for a month (Early Nov-Dec) and as a fairly large surprise my nan called me the other day to tell me that she is joining me for the first week. When I was in the pre-planning stage back in January and asking everyone I knew if they wanted to come, her answer was "I'd rather die than go to Japan" (I checked and she isn't dying) so I never thought about places to take her.

Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do in Tokyo with a senior that doesn't know anything, or really care about, the culture?
So far my plan is to take her to one of the "super sento" (which would be better, LaQua or Oedo Onsen Monegatari? I think it'd be better than a smaller one since there'll be more for her to do than try and ignore a group of old Japanese women) and to do a bit of shopping/walking around Ikebukuro. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1257369
I was just at a game the other night at the Tokyo Dome. Giants vs Buffaloes. It was great, the crowd got into it
>>
File: IMG_2150.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2150.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1257369
I watched my first baseball game ever at the start of Golden Week, Hanshin Tigers vs Chunichi Dragons and it was surprisingly fun! (and I had just landed 4 hours earlier to boot)
>>
File: IMG_2161.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2161.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1257561
I was really surprised by how polite the fans were, I don't know how it is in america (being a eurofag) but Only the in-team's fans cheered and made noise, the defending team's fans were super quiet unless they did something good like catching the ball. Being used to football and hockey you boo as much as you cheer. But I really dug it. Bought like two plastic baseball bats linked on a chain like a nunchuck to bang together to support the Tigers and my girlfriend made sure we had these balloons to release into the air towards the end. I swear, when all of them released at once it was like a fucking Sony Bravia commercial. Don't know if that is a Tigers thing or general thing but check out the gift shop before hand and get some stuff for the team you want to cheer on, makes the game a lot more fun.
And oh! I don't know if it was because I just had gotten of a 11 hour flight but my ass hurt like hell after 3 hours in the nose-bleed seats, bring some fold out seat cover if you can.
>>
>>1257154
You don't need a JR Pass if you're just staying in Tokyo.
>>
File: retina_pixta_9515989_S[1].jpg (134KB, 640x292px) Image search: [Google]
retina_pixta_9515989_S[1].jpg
134KB, 640x292px
Does anyone know of any ryokan with onsen that does not restrict alcohols? As far as I know, there are some that even sell them on the onsen.
>>
>>1257390
Canon 5D Mark III and a 35MM
>>
>>1257578
You mean you simply want to drink in the bath?
I've only stayed in two of them but they both had shops with souvenirs, alcohol being one of them.
My biggest regret from my first japan-trip is not buying the umeshu they served for dinner, bought some in my own country and it was nowhere near that good
>>
>>1257586
Yeah, I've heard it's rare and especially more so for foreigners.
>>
File: IMG_20170604_085405559.jpg (5MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_085405559.jpg
5MB, 3120x4160px
Kyoto is actually really comfy. weekend material. Looking forward to going to Himeji and then back to Tokyo tomorrow
>>
>>1257631
I agree, I stayed at a little ryokan I found on Airbnb. I rod a bike everyday to get around. So comfy
>>
>>1257303
Three months, and even then it's not always good. Give yourself 5 months for best results and pricesnipe something below 1000. Keep in mind those prices don't last and appear randomly.
>>
File: hiroshima.png (1MB, 934x674px) Image search: [Google]
hiroshima.png
1MB, 934x674px
>>1256930
Anyone have more feedback on my itinerary?
>>
I just booked a tour at the Yamazaki Distillery. Do you guys have any other recommendations for cheap but fun tours in Tokyo and around the Kansai area? No anime related stuff, please. I'm trying to avoid all that stuff during my trip.
>>
>>1257665
Maricar tour
>>
>>1257654
To be fair the only had part is the tourists which is almost intolerable in low season so I don't want to know what it's like in high season.
>>
>>1257689
Yes I agree with that sentiment. Unfortunately, I think its just part in parcel with visiting Kyoto, which everyone travelling to Japan should visit at least once. Just know what you're going to experience and perhaps try your best to see the city in a more unique way, such as cycling around the back roads.
>>
>>1257063
I disagree on the account of needing a car. Japan is a country basically built to ride bikes in, and the route Hiroshima to Sapporo (or for the crazy, Wakkanai) with dozens of stops is perfectly doable, in addition of being super easy to mix and match with your train adventures. Granted, specially Hokkaido, you are either gonna have to carry a tent or pedal a lot, but either option isn't so bad.

Don't do it if you are a newbie biker, though.
>>
File: IMG_0191.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0191.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>>1257665
That tour is pretty good
>>
>>1257046
the military will give you a driver's licence after testing if you already have one in the USA. they have a special version.

better learn how to fucking drive before then
>>
what do i use to text in japanese?
>>
>>1257717
a mobile phone
>>
>>1256882
What are the best options to rent a pocket wifi while I am in Japan for 14 days? All the review sites I have looked at are really old
>>
Ok so we still havent planned what to visit in Kyoto and Osaka and we leave by wednesday next week, any recommendations? Must not miss like Osaka castle? 1-2 day itinerary

Also, anyone used Yamato luggage delivery service? we don't want to carry anything heavy while we roam around. (papers to fill, contact, branches etc)
>>
>>1257743
I used globaladvancedcomm. Picked it up at the airport and dropped it off at the airport. It only cut out once and that was on the bus heading towards the 5th station on Fuji and it came back as soon as I hit the 5th station.

Anyway I'm leaving Japan after a week. Spent 3 days in Kawaguchiko and 4 in Tokyo and not enough time to get the most of either location.
>>
>>1257749
Looks like they don't do hotel delivery for their pocket wifi. I will arrive at the airport too late to pick it up from the post office counter. Are there any other decent options for pocket wifi?
>>
>>1257755
Not sure about pocket wifi, but you could get a data sim earlier
>>
Was in harajuku for hours today and didn't see a single Goth or freak what gives?

Just a bunch of rich tryhards and tourists what a waste of time
>>
>>1257699
I'm going to the hishimi inari shrines at midnight tonight . Hopefully it's empty
>>
>>1257755
I used Japan Wifi Buddy. Device was delivered to my hotel before I arrived, and I had nearly unlimited 4g for 3 weeks for $100~. They provide both the device and a travel battery/charger. Returned it just by dropping the provided return envelope into a mailbox at the airport.
>>
>>1257719
i mean what app or what do you use to change the language?
>>
anyone got experience WWOOFing/homestaying around Japan?
interested in doing some long term for my next trip
>>
>>1257772
I assume you don't actually know that Harajuku/Omotesando is the fashion district for clothes that are actually good except for the small strip of Takeshita, but even there if you're a 14 year old girl its still pretty fashionable. If you wanted to see people dressed weird you should have gone the opposite direction and headed into Yoyogi park
>>
>>1257665
I got to Yamazaki too late for a tour, but the Nikka Miyagiko tour was pretty neat. And personally, Nikka's post-tour tasting room and gift shop setup was better than Yamazaki's.
>>
didn´t knew there was an actual Japan general
Well I ask here then, Im traveling to Japan on october for the first time for 2 - 3 weeks.
So any advice for my trip? I already think I can visit hiroshima, kyoto and tokyo, I know the basic japanese.

Any museums, restaurants or interesting places to visit incluiding the classic weeaboo stuff?
>>
>>1257908
Have you tried Japan guide? I know some people here hate for being too mainstream (with all the issues that brings), but it's perfectly acceptable to use to make plans. In general, focus one day on each location, and one day for any travelling longer than two hour one way. Yes, you will normally have left over time this way, but Japan is the best place to just walk around leasurely, for there's always some interesting sight somewhere.

But yeah, just go to Japan-guide and make a simple itinerary from the info there, and we can adjust it later.
>>
Anybody good at thrift stores and vintage / used clothing stores in japan? I've jotted down a lot of them in Koenji but are there any other big areas in Tokyo? I'm particularily interested in denim.
>>
>>1257743
I used cdjapan last time and just rented a sim-card.
I don't get this pocket wifi thing, but I guess it's good for people with locked phones.
>>
>>1257848
The weird thing about the yamazaki tasting is that they only served highballs, no straight
>>
>>1257934
>I don't get this pocket wifi thing, but I guess it's good for people with locked phones.
Some people just use a lot of data, and it's far more practical in large groups which aren't really supposed to be splitting.
>>
>>1257805
There's a Dane who comes to this thread sometimes and is doing WWOOF now. Hopefully he can tell you his experiences thus far.
>>
>>1257805
I have a woof account I paid for and still haven't used, which is dumb since I am going to Japan anyway this year. I don't need accommodation so I don't see the point, but I guess I could find someone who wants free labor in exchange for learning something interesting.
>>
ive travelled the world extensively, but never been to japan. someone sell me on it plz. i also might want to lump it in w a north korea trip
>>
Which city is better to spend more time in? Kyoto or Osaka?
>>
>>1257982
Talked to a few people and seen it posted a few times here as well.

Kyoto is good for very specific historical districts that you can knock out in a morning/afternoon with proper planning. Outside of that there isn't much to distinct itself from other places.

I'd say do a day trip in Kyoto, and enjoy the evening in Osaka
>>
>>1257971
Kek, is that the Danefag on the run from the Triads? lol.
>>
>>1257983
Would it be better to spend the night in Osaka then? Also, how good is the autumn colors around 10-13 November?

Is it worth doing a side trip to Shikoku? I've read that Shikoku is famous for it's foods like udon in Kagawa and katsuo no tataki in Kochi.
>>
>>1257772
Even on Takeshita Street? You may have just had really bad luck, but you'll generally see at least a goth Loli or two if you walk Takeshita Street. That said, for one reason or the other, Harajuku isn't quite what it used to be on that front just as Shibuya is not a gyaru Mecca anymore. Things change.

Also, yes, besides Takeshita Street, Harajuku is just a "normal" area for high end shopping. I think it's a common misconception that it's not.

>>1257982
Pretty much like the other anon said--I would say Kyoto is much better during the day and Osaka undeniably has better night life (although one night in Gion in Kyoto is worth it). Osaka doesn't really have much in the way of attractions,Tsutenkaku has nothing on Sky Tree or even Tokyo Tower. The Castle is a reproduction.

Spend the day in Kyoto and the evening in Osaka.
>>
>>1257933
Kinda interested in this as well, any place to buy clothes?

Going for a month with just a duffle bag and a backpack, wasn't sure what if any clothing store or department store to look for.
>>
>>1257982
Osaka and do day trips to Kyoto
>>
>>1257933
>>1258013
Shimokitazawa is best, here is a guide: https://tokyocheapo.com/locations/west-tokyo/shimokitazawa-2/
>>
>>1257772
When I visited Harajuku a few months ago, I didn't sea a single Harajuku girl. I saw more in other districts during my visit.
>>
>>1257797
Google Translate is probably best
>>
>>1258024
Takayama worth 1 or 2 days
>>
Anyone been to golden gai?
>>
Hey guys, need some clarification on something.

I'm planning out my 7 day JRpass travel map and it looks like to do everything I want without breaking my neck daily just to go to X place, that I will be about 1 day short of my JR pass life span. I was wondering it looks like some sites do bus rides without the need for a JRpass and I can get from Hiroshima(place my pass will run out at) back to tokyo for around 50-60 bucks. I know most people will say "just get the 14 day" but I am saving around 100-120 bucks this way. Looking at Japan Bus Lines, not sure if anyone here has used them before or know of any other cheap point a->b type of services. Not to terribly concerned with comfort or speed, just as long as I make it back to tokyo
>>
>>1258070
Why not pay for the train back to Tokyo?
>>
>>1258074
Bus is cheaper, but I figured it out. If I just take a bus out of tokyo to my first destination it is only 2500 yen, then I can use my JR pass to get back. Hope Takayama lives up to the hype.
>>
>>1256982
>>1256985
how about suica? i still have my suica from 2014, but were mostly on osaka Kyoto hiroshima area and only few days in tokyo, or better just get icoca?
>>
Kyushu or Shikoku?
>>
File: 1494628904314.jpg (266KB, 758x800px) Image search: [Google]
1494628904314.jpg
266KB, 758x800px
Is there a weebs guide to must see things in japan?
>>
>>1258099
literally hundreds
>>
Currently typing this from Narita Airport
>>
>>1258100
any weeb events next week in osaka kyoto and tokyo?
>>
>>1257936
What? I had nothing but straight whiskey when tasting at Yamazaki.
>>
>>1258087
The link I posted answers your question, but yes, your suica card should work as well. Do read upon why having an icoca might be better, but it all depends on what you want to do, and where you are coming through
>>
What's stopping me from going onto a nozomi shinkansen really? I have a JR pass and once I'm on the station I could just go on. They don't really check
>>
File: 1448384091121.png (1MB, 1856x1651px) Image search: [Google]
1448384091121.png
1MB, 1856x1651px
where's the best area to buy shoes? mine are too tight and fucked up my feet to the point where i can't go anywhere without pain
>>
>>1258154
They check on the train.
>>
>>1258154
They will check your pass on the train. I once got on a Nozomi train by accident because I was retarded, but the guy just explained to me that I wasn't supposed to be on that train then just left, so I guess I got lucky.
>>
>>1258110
サンクリ2017Summer is on the 18June in Tokyo
https://portal.circle.ms/Event/
This website shows a significant amount of anime events,good place to check out .
https://cafe.animate.co.jp/
The animate website shows flavor of the month anime character cafes,they're usually for a limited period of time .
not quite sure what you're looking out for
>>
>>1258155
gu sells shoes and clothes for cheap
>>
>>1257318
They are the worst. Lived in Japan the last 3 years. I've seen it all. Shitting in corners, making trouble and getting aggressive in konbinis, etc. But they also do shit like going to a ramen restaurant with their whole family and take 10 seats but staying there forever without leaving and buying anything new after they finished. Also they don't know how to walk, they don't look at ther surrounding, etc.

And they are smelly. Was sitting next to one in the nightbus to Kyoto. He was biting his finger nails and spit it around.
>>
>>1258173
gu?
>>
File: 3918765547_2c72849181_z.jpg (108KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3918765547_2c72849181_z.jpg
108KB, 500x375px
As someone who already went to all the sightseeing places in and around Tokyo: Do you know anything special to see? Something that isn't in every tour guide?

Also what is your favorite ramen place? Mine is Karashibi (pic related)
>>
>>1258177
google it fucktwad
>>
So, I might be in for a spot of trouble; I'm currently in Japan, all is well, yeah? However, on my way back, the airline I'm flying has decided to cancel all flights into Qatar, where I currently work. So have all the other carriers in the region. Qatar dun fucked up, and I have no love for them, but I still need to get back. Any ideas?
>>
>>1258177
I feel like being nice so
https://www.uniqlo.com/jp/store/feature/gu/men/shoes/
gu is pretty much uniqlo's sister brand which is cheaper
>>
Shinjuku is so fucking wet right now, fuck
>>
>>1258186
Sumida is pretty moist as well, senpai.
>>
First time to Japan, I'm going with friends in a couple months time and am interested in food and fashion, any suggestions?
>>
I bought a pair of shoes at "ABC MART ".
>>
omg it rains during the rainy season like who would have ever thought amirite???
>>
>>1258181
Well shit. Have you tried calling the embassy or, if you're in Tokyo, visiting it? Good luck anon.
>>
>>1256895
Kyoto is cool, I'd definitely recommend going there
>>
>>1257018
Most Japanese people were pretty friendly to me, especially in areas near the airport...I'll just warn you now not to go to a maid cafe unless youre ready to spend a fuckton of money (they scam you hardcore)
>>
>>1258311
Maid cafes are not a scam. You're paying for the entertainment, not the food
>>
If you want to see Yakuza let 's go to Roppongi at night. But there is no guarantee of your life.
>>
>>1258311
Looking at the menu and cover costs they don't seem that unreasonable 500-700 yen for booze? Sign me up
>>
File: IMG_0201.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0201.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1258112
Really? They only served us highballs
>>
Anyone got any suggestions on places for groups in Tokyo? Going with a few friends and I know some japanese places can be small/not happy to see large parties just show up.
>>
>>1258315
>>1258331
maybe we just got trapped in a bad one or something, but we got charged like $80 for two drinks and maybe 15 minutes of being in there..
>>
>>1258347
LOL you got had my dude, most will want some kinda cover but nothing that big.

Holy shit man what one did you go to, or did you walk aimlessly in
>>
>>1258347
Where the fuck did you go to spend 80 on two drinks and what the fuck did you order. You got had bad
>>
>>1258181
When are you returning? Call the airline you were flying with if it's within the next couple days, they should book you on an alternate unaffected carrier at no cost.
>>
>>1258332
Was that free or paid tasting? I did the paid one since I didn't get on a tour. Hibiki 17 and 21, and Yamazaki 12 and 18.

That being said, Nikka gave us several whiskies to taste, our choice of straight, rocks, or highball, and also apple wine, with more available at a charge.
>>
Can I bring protein powder with me without going to jail?
>>
>>1258368
Why not just eat the riducously cheap fish/chicken that is on every fucking street corner for protien?
>>
>>1258366
Ah, don't remember anything about any paid testing. But that explains it.
>>
>>1258181
Switch to Qatar Airways I guess, they traffic KIX and NRT and go straight to Qatar
>>
I went to Tokyo with a few friends a few months back and we all did our own language research to keep us going. I recently remembered one of my friends saying 'iya' for no while I said 'iie'. I looked it up and it turns out she was using the not so very polite version. Any chance she pissed people off while doing that? She practically looks like a doll if that helps and she was always smiling and trying to be pleasant.
>>
>>1258155
What kind of shoes? Like Harajuku/Jingumae is the best place to buy sneakers, but just for shoes in general I'd say try Ikebukuro Sunshine Dori. There are two ABC Marts there as well as a couple other shops. And an Adidas store is within walking distance. ABC Mart is a pretty solid option for just any kind of shoe.

>>1258174
I've lived here for going on 4 and I just haven't seen any of that, personally. The worst of I've seen of a Chinese tourist was a couple was letting their small child shit in a gutter (which is BAD, but it was like a two year old) and that was actually in Korea, not Japan although that doesn't really matter. If you claim to have seen adult Chinese shitting in the open in Japan I'm pretty inclined not to believe you... They travel in obstructive groups and speak loudly sometimes, but beyond that I feel like it's like the other guy said, they're not THAT bad.

>>1258178
For ramen I like Gottsu and Koisaimen (both within walking distance). Gottsu is in the Michelin Guide, or was. For something that most tourists don't do I would recommend seeing Kabuki or better, Noh. (I personally prefer Noh).

>>1258278
>am interested in food and fashion, any suggestions?

Way too general, but yeah. Tokyo has the most Michelin Star restaurants of any city for what its worth. Get a Tokyo Michelin guide. For fashion again I don't know what you're into but go to Harajuku/Omotesando/Minami Aoyama. You will find there Supreme, BAPE, flagship Adidas store, Yohji Yamamoto (Y-3 and brand), Rick Owens store, etc, pretty much anything. Also go to Gina for the lux brands like Gucci, Coach, etc.

For vintage/second hand areas, try Shimo Kitazawa and Koenji.
>>
File: sapporo.jpg (315KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sapporo.jpg
315KB, 1024x768px
Are there any other otaku-related stores and things to do in Hokkaido other than Animate and Mandarake?
>>
Is it worth to visit Niigata?
>>
File: IMAG0876.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0876.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
>>1258395
I got mine from the tasting bar on the bottom floor of the gift shop/museum building. Pic related.
>>
>>1258429
I crossed going to this off my list because I couldn't find much of anything that made it stand out(though I am coming out of tokyo).

I am actually doing Nagato, and then shooting up to Joestu, and you can shoot to Takayama really quick which is so worth it in history.

Joestu is a bit smaller but given the fact I am going to hiroshima, tokyo(for 2.5 weeks), Osaka, and some other places I would like the quiet towns moreso.
>>
Are there any things that are recommended to buy because it doesn't exist oversee or is very expensive?

Thought about CDs from some Japanese artists I like and cup noodles so far.
>>
>>1258181
What did Qatar do? I thought they were relatively moderate.
>>
>>1258311
I don't get this "maid cafe is a scam" meme. Maidreamin, the chain I went to, was relatively cheap (15-2000 yen for meal + drink), including the polaroid and free lucky dip gift at the end. I felt way more ripped off by the Robot Restaurant.
>>
>>1258414
>What kind of shoes?
something i can walk in without pain - going for sneakers. i don't see how my footwear just fucked me over like it did. i'm trying for lunchtime. was leaning towards tokyo station, but that ikebukuro idea might work better - closer to where i am
>>
>>1258413
I thought "iya" would be more like "nah" in English. If you were trying to be formal/polite you wouldn't even say "iie", you'd pussyfoot around saying "eetoo... chotto...." and avoid giving a firm negative response.
>>
>>1258413
"Iya" is a casual, colloquial "no". Also "iya da". In a formal situation it would sound crass and rude.

"Iie" means "no" and is more polite but it's not used as a denial a lot because it's simple and blunt so too straightforward. This isn't much different than in English right. English speakers don't just say "no" in a more formal or polite context they say "No, thank you" etc.

"Iie" is generally used in a context where it means "don't mention it" or "no, not at all." Like if someone apologizes for potentially being in your way or something you might say "Iie, Iie". (Oh, no it's fine).

>>1258456
Just "chotto..." with nothing else after it, like "Ashita wa chotto..." can potentially come off as too casual and rude. This is fine for most conversational familiar contexts but I wouldn't do that in a formal polite sense.
>>
Flight leaves in 3 days. What are some things that someone would usually forget to bring, or what's something you wish you brought with you?
>>
>>1258474
earplugs and an eyemask.

of course for the plane, but also city noise and lights can be bad and I think their theaters are so loud it causes hearing damage. earbuds so you can listen to mobile devices without bother people, make sure its turned down even then to not bother anyone.

Its rainy in Japan right now so a collapsible umbrella.
>>
>>1258477
Thanks, I got earplugs but I hadn't considered getting an eyemask. Planning on just buying an umbrella there to save space on the flight in.
>>
>>1258478
i wouldnt be surprised if its raining right out of the Airport, its monsoon season. cheap ones are fine but people steal them (its a social contract in Japan that a cheap umbrella in a stand is fair game to anyone) where as collapsible probably wont be.
>>
>>1258479
Alright, then I'll get a collapsible one for carry on. Thanks again!
>>
>>1258479
>its a social contract in Japan that a cheap umbrella in a stand is fair game to anyone

I've literally never had this happen to me. My experience has been that they always leave shit that doesn't belong to them alone.
>>
>>1258488
true with everything but umbrellas, in my experience. more taken than I can count
>>
Posting this in a bit of desperation;

I posted earlier about staying in Sapporo for a month to do a language school with a friend, and my accommodations just fell through. I happen to be leaving this weekend.

I have all the obvious sites open like airbnb, tripadvisor, ect. but I was hoping someone here knew a more obscure source of a weekly/monthly apartment rental that I could check out. I have some "last resort" places that are really not idea but will have to do in a pinch but any other direction is appreciated.

The only requirement is that it needs to be an actual apartment, I have guest/communal options on standby but its not idea for the two of us.
>>
>>1258517
Why does the place need to be "obscure"? What's wrong with Airbnb or your "last resort" places?
>>
>>1258491
>>1258488
Only the super cheap ones that cost a few hundred yen, though. Anything fancy looking and they'll leave it where it is.
>>
>>1258519
Yeah talk to some airbnb people, a lot of the time if you just talk to them about extended stays they will be accepting
>>
>>1258519
>Why does the place need to be "obscure"
Because I was looking for sites I wouldnt already know about.

Obviously I have my airbnb options I just would like to make sure I am not missing another source that may not be indexed on google or listing sites.
>>
Why is it so expensive Autralia to Japan?

It's right there, but the only tickets I can find are like 3 stops and $500+
>>
I'll be leaving soon for Japan, gonna be bouncing between Tokyo and Osaka-Kyoto. I want to purchase my friend a gift. Are there any specific places where I could pick up art supplies that are somewhat souvineir like? I mean, I want her to be able to use them, but I want them to be unique.
>>
>>1258526
Jetstar does a sale a few times a year where you can return flights from Sydney/Melbourne for about $400, or even as low as $250-300 return from Cairns. However, I don't think it's been as cheap as it initially was in recent sales.

The cheapest I've found from Qantas and JAL are around $700-$800.
>>
>>1258527
Pigment is an interesting art store in Tokyo. It's about a 5 minute walk from Tennozu Isle station.
>>
>>1258528
Any idea why? America to Japan I can understand, but why is it $500-$1000 from everywhere?
>>
Looking to buy business class seats from the US to Japan because fuck being in economy class for 10+ hours and I luckily have the money. Which has the better seat and service: JAL or ANA. Also, Singapore Airlines has a daily flight from LAX to Narita, so I'll take them into consideration as well.
>>
>>1258531
Maybe because of low traffic, there are only about 20 million people living in Australia, whereas Japan gets over 20 million tourists travelling there annually.
>>
>>1258530
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Lifesaver.
>>
>>1258532
Any of the three airlines you mentioned will have sufficiently sized business class seats for your fat Yank ass, and great service. So pick whatever is the most convenient for you.
>>
>>1258456
>>1258468
Thanks for the feedback on this. You don't think she managed to piss people off on our trip do you? She tried her best to be polite, I almost don't have the heart to tell her if she left a string of annoyed people in Tokyo.
>>
File: Bl9f2AbCMAA6y1o.jpg (35KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
Bl9f2AbCMAA6y1o.jpg
35KB, 599x337px
thanks for the help with the shoes everyone! these new balances from abc are allowing me to continue on my travels
>>
Guys I'm in Tokyo right now. Where are some cheap places to shop for clothings and such not so far from Ueno?
>>
>>1258557
Good choice!
>>
File: Milk.jpg (132KB, 310x440px) Image search: [Google]
Milk.jpg
132KB, 310x440px
Enlighten me as to what the fuck you are supposed to talk about with Japanese girls.

>ask about dream
>"i didnt have a dream, japanese people dont have dreams lol"
>ask about previous bf
>they dont talk about previous relationships in japan
>ask about family, friends
>"why are you asking about that?"
>anything even remotely flirty
>"you say to every girl / iya / hentai / blocked"
>any sort of joke, sarcasm or humor whatsoever
>"mendokusai" or they take it seriously and judge you severely
>what are you doing today?
>"working"
>after work i mean
>"i'll take a bath and go to sleep"
>on the weekend
>"see my friend"
>want to hang out this weekend?
>"busy / too early to meet you / have a plan / dont know my plan"
>what food do you like
>"i eat anything"
>stick to generic questions about favorite movies, music, color, etc
>"boring" or little to no conversation because even they think its boring
>tell me your most embarassing moment
>"tsumaran / boring / nothing"
>what kind of guy do you like
>"nice, normal"

>the off chance things are going great
>suddenly never contacted again out of the blue at any random point in the relationship, before excited date, after date, before/after sex, before/after becoming couple

>go to china, taiwan, korea, thailand, america, europe, north korea, anywhere else on the planet
>people talk like normal human beings. whether or not you date or fuck you have normal human interaction

I'm losing my fucking mind
>>
>>1256882
Yeah, so can I go to Japan, rent an apartment, and find a part time job that will give me visa sponsorship? Could I maybe work like 3-4 hours a day and get a visa so I could stay there for a year or two?

Is this something where I would have to be hired from oversease first or could I do it upon arrival? Issue is mainly I don't want to do a 12 hour workday.
>>
File: smug.jpg (46KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
46KB, 800x682px
>>1258567
>he doesn't know how to talk to Japanese girls
>>
>>1258577
the answer is you dont

you just agree, nod and say sugoi to everything. if youre attractive theyll like you.
>>
>>1258571
No.
>>
>>1258585
i don't like you.
>>
>>1258591
You don't like me for giving an honest answer to your question?
>>
>>1258571
Get a working holiday visa (note that if you're a US citizen, you cannot get a working holiday visa)
>>
>>1258596
ah ok sucks bc i'm a us citizen but thanks for the info
>>1258592
sure, whatever you say
>>
>>1258601
There are other options for working in Japan.
I also found it surprising that a working holiday visa isn't available for Americans, particularly because of their influence on Japan. But Canadians, Australians, Kiwis, British, etc can all get working holiday visas pretty easily. My theory is that because most weebs reside in the US, they will stop them from living in Japan by not allowing a relatively easy-to-get working holiday visa.
>>
>>1258536
Keked
>>
>>1258604
The US doesn't allow working holiday visas for people to go there, so other countries got pissy and decided not to allow US citizens to get working holiday visas for their countries, too.

Can't we all just get along?
>>
>>1258607
Well I sure as hell wouldn't give working holiday visas to US citizens if I was running my country.
>>
>>1258609
And as an American I wouldnt give a working visa to any middle easterns, africans or europeans (aka middle easterns)

oh no we cant go to belarus and ukraine ;(
>>
>>1258362
>>1258352
I was in Akihabara, we only had like an hour to hang out there before we had to go somewhere so we just picked a random one, went up an elevator in an electronics store to get there.
I tried arguing over the bill but my Japanese was not good enough at the time to break the language barrier.
>>
I love games and anime and all that but whats the big deal about Akihabara? Even the first time I went i was just like "ok..."

I mean you can buy games, consoles, manga, anime on dvds maybe, figures, and other electronics. But other than figures you can get all that shit anywhere, including the internet (including figures). They have arcades but those are everywhere anyway? Just the imagery of anime characters everywhere? Maid cafes that are just overpriced normal cafes with a (not always) cute girl doing silly things? Not like you can fuck them or anything

Am I just a cynical fuck?
>>
>>1258613
>Am I just a cynical fuck?

I went today and thought the same , regardless I spent about 5 hours there until pissing off to explore shibuya
>>
>>1256992
I'm headed to japan this August, is the heat really as bad as people make it out to be?
>>
>>1258567
I'm sorry, but I don't think they like you or see you as a serious partner. If they keep avoiding you or keep having plans it's because they don't want to see you again.
>>
>>1258621
i used to think that until over half of my relationships started like that.

in japan people are actually busy when they say that.

so sick of hearing this comeback. yes, true some of the time, but not even most of the time
>>
>>1258621
>>1258622
in fact i'll add that if they arent interested they will 100% of the time just stop communication altogether
>>
>>1258621
>>1258622
>>1258623
and thirdly of fucking course you skip over the main point and everything else there.
>>
>>1258622
>in japan people are actually busy
yeah they are so you have to deal with that shit, especially if you are in a city.

There are standard answers people give to quetions here all the time, I don't always agree with them. Basically women aren't the same everywhere, and relationships aren't the same everywhere. You have to really get into the culture and figure out the formalities for getting close and getting a real gf in a foreign country. All the stuff that's pissing you off might be an indication you don't mix well with japanese women, or maybe there is just an angle you need to find to make things work. I can't help you find that angle though, sorry.
>>
>>1258577
>>1258567
that sounds like most all women tho
>>
>>1258639
you dont have an answer because the answer is they are insane psychopaths whose culture has bred them to fear, hate, and alienate everything and everyone.

you wonder why they have so little sex but so much suicide
>>
>>1258517
Use airbnb.
I stayed in Sapporo using airbnb my first 6 weeks here. Rent for most places is super cheap, and walking distance to the city centre. The places in question are generally pretty good/fairly spacious for the price too. If worst comes to worst, go to an APA hotel.

I dont know what you mean when u say u have other "obscure" choices, but do yourself a favour, and choose airbnb.
>>
anytime you say something negative about japan or its people theres always the same three people.
>lol you got rejected >>1258621
>lol its like that everywhere though i dont understand relativity >>1258642
>no way japan is amazing even though i havent been there

2/3 so far
>>
>>1258414
Any yea the food was way too general, specifically interested in fresh seafood.

Thanks for the fashion info that's exactly what I was looking for, yohji and Rick in particular
>>
>>1258450
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt, and UAE felt that Qatar was meddling with their affairs and causing instability in the region, so they broke off diplomatic ties with them.

Yeah they fucked up big time.
>>
File: vpi93b.jpg (22KB, 577x435px) Image search: [Google]
vpi93b.jpg
22KB, 577x435px
>>1258567
>>
>>1258532
Cheapest of those options I saw was ANA on LAX-HND for $2800, flight was leaving early April and returning late May this year. Time of that sale price was Black Friday last year.

t. Bought too early and paid $3500 for the flights.

That being said, i did see other airlines (US, Chinese, and Asiana) down to $1800 RT for business.
>>
>>1258620
pretty much. That is coming from someone who likes that type of heat though so I find it comfy.
>>
>flight paid for
>only have 440,000 yen for the month
>still need to find hostels

SHIT
>>
>>1258613
It's anime/weeb Mecca. I enjoyed it despite the tourists, and you can and will find things there that you won't find online.

For example, both AmiAmi and Mandarake don't put all their inventory online. I bought a couple WonFes exclusive figures from AmiAmi's physical shop that were not on their website. My brother bought a new, sealed copy of Utawarerumono from Traders for 3500 yen when the cheapest available online was upwards of $200.

And yes you do sound cynical as fuck and unable to enjoy the things you say you like.
>>
>>1258710
Nigga what the fuck? 440,000 yen is heaps of money, I spent ~200,000 yen in one month.
>>
>>1258613
>Just the imagery of anime characters everywhere?

that's a big part of it. also being among like minded weebs/otaku is kind of nice. And as far as shopping goes, I usually go in without a specific plan of what I want to buy so it's more like window shopping. Oh and also hearing anime OPs/EDs in stores is a cool experience
>>
Anyone here with wells fargo know how much you can get out per day from 711? Was thinking about getting out around, 500 bucks or so a week
>>
>>1258722
Call your bank dumb dumb
>>
>>1258733
Bank is fine with 500/day, my question was more towards the 711 atm withdraw limits in japan. Can't seem to find it on google, wasn't sure if someoen knew who already went there
>>
>>1258567
The different is that 99% of Japanese women don't take the prospect of dating a non-Japanese seriously. They are blowing you off because they aren't that interested, the best you could hope for is casual sex until she gets bored and drops you but anything beyond that is difficult unless she is damaged goods or considered ugly/fat by Asian standards.
>>
Why does everyone think Japan is some fucking made-to-order bride shop? People keep asking me if I'm going there to find a gf or nudging me to remember to wear condoms ;^).

They do realize Japan is a 1st world country right?
>>
>>1258739
Bottom-barrel western men think that asian = easy because they assume they are from shitty poor countries and waiting to jump on dat white cock for social advancement.

They don't realize Japan considered themselves above us at this point, and race-mixing would be shameful for all but the lowest class Japanese woman.

You could get away with it if you were hafu or in the celebrity world but not for regular Japanese folk.
>>
>>1258739
because comedians "OH MISTER AMERICAN MAN SO BIG PENIS!" is a gag.

Tinder can work if you look good and know some japanese. Depends on the time and place though
>>
>>1258739
Most people formed their opinions of Asia from the people that were there post WW2 when it was a war torn and ravaged land. That usually breeds women who are just trying to survive and also have a shortage of men.

I get asked whether my gf is just looking for a green card, how i like the lack of hot water, aren't i scared of war, etc etc etc

It's fucking annoying because in the meantime I'm over there trying to convince the girl she won't get shot the minute she steps off the plane and sets foot in the USA.
>>
>>1258755
>implying she wont get shot
I mean, her chances go up at least 1000x as soon as she lands in LAX or SFO
>>
>>1258739
In my experience there is definitely an "exotic" bonus for white men trying to casually meet women in Japan or Korea. This is not a phenomenon exclusive to these countries though, the right foreign accent and look are often interesting to potential dating partners all over the world.

Of course, if you are the kind of guy that women in your own country would not be interested in, don’t expect easy hookups in Japan or Korea either. You better go to a country where women are poor enough to not have a choice and know that the ones actually interested in meeting you are bottom of the barrel, bar girl material.

For serious relationships you will usually be at a disadvantage. There is potential shame in dating a foreigner, especially if he turns out to be a scumbag.
>>
>>1258739
Because you're the yellow fever guy.

You all are.
>>
>>1258809
>you
>not "we"
>>
>>1258536
>t. tanned brit
>>1258532
i went with ana. i thought the seat was nice, but it was nothing stellar. the big advantage is it is alittle easier to fall asleep, which means you'll be ready to handle all your transfers after you land.

the part that sucked for me was there was no personal vents on the 777, so i felt hot and that makes it harder to sleep
>>
File: 1491937586867.png (545KB, 607x926px) Image search: [Google]
1491937586867.png
545KB, 607x926px
>>1258739
>Going to Japan later this year, talking to mother about how the girls dress cute rather than sexy like in the West
>"Well just make sure you don't fall for one! She probably wants to come out here and live!"
>Don't tell her if I did meet a Japanese girl I liked I'd seriously consider marrying them just for that sweet sweet spousal citizenship
>>
>>1258710
Isn't 500USD/55000yen a week still living comfortably even without factoring in hotel costs? 7 days in a hostel is probably like 22000 yen for a week, then 33000 left over for fuck all. So you'd have to be averaging like ~45 dollars a day in spending. That's pretty steep unless you are eating like a pig all the time and refuse use your feet. There are a ton of free things to do in japan that require little to nothing.

I mean I didn't think food was really that expensive, unless you go to the "american style" restaurants where they obviously will overcharge. Could be wrong, but I felt most portions were fairly decent especially if you are okay with seafood.
>>
>>1258757
Statistically, as long as she isn't in gun free zones, she shouldn't get shot.
>>
>>1258564
>cheap
Uniqlo, it's everywhere
>>
Climbing mount mitake from the bottom (no cable car) on Friday. Any tips? Can I wear running trainers?
>>
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here. Me and my gf are planning to go to Japan in 2019, probably during September! I know that I want want to go to Tokyo, Akibahara, visit the Tokyo Sky Tree, the Robot Restaurant, and some other places and even, but that's only me, do some workshops to learn some dishes and things like that in Tokyo. The problem is, when I begun to see other places to go like Kyoto I started to feel kinda lost, without direction. There is a lot of temples and castles to go! I want your help to stabelish some priorities.

Where should I go? Which places could give me the experiece of the Japanese Life style? Shoul'd I try to see more things to do like the the "dishes experience" that I saw in the Airbnb experiences tab? Or should I see some tours to go?

We are estimating to be there for 15 days!
>>
>>1258567
As a German I think the Japanese are as autistic as we are when having smalltalks. I mean, we don't do smalltalks that much either in Germany. Either we don't know how to answer the question such as "how are you doing??" or we wonder why you want to know about my family, my weekend plans, etc. if it's not really your business.
Surprisingly I never had any problems talking with Japanese people while I lived there for about 3 years. It always worked. Maybe stop with your nonsense talk and talk something that actually matters. As if you are honestly interested in her previous bf, about her family or her most emberassing moment, holy shit.

>>1258604
>particularly because of their influence on Japan
What influence are you talking about? Destroying whole cities and then bringing Mc Donalds, marines and donuts to Japan?
>>
>>1258875
Another thing: Wich souverniers would be the best to bring from Japan? "The cat with the pawn up" statue for example? What about one yukata?
>>
>>1258875
Shibuya, Shinjuku, maybe Ikebukuro, Ueno park, Harajuku, Edo-Tokyo architectural museum, Tokyo Tower, etc. to name some. Would not recommend Robot Restaurant, it's expensive and mainly for tourists. Also go to Karaoke, eat lots of ramen, go to Tsukiji (not sure if it's still there around the time because they relocate), Odaiba, etc.

Definitelly also Kamakura. One day trip and you can see a lot and people say it's small Kyoto.
>>
>>1258878
Also check out Japan guide, it has all the nice places to visit. You could buy chopsticks, ceramics, used CDs, toys, handmade stuff, fashion from Harajuku, food, etc. It's also fun to buy that plastic food they put infront of restaurants and look like real (pic related)
>>
>>1258875
Oh and you have a lot of time to plan so I recommend watching some documentaries, keep an eye on /trv/, read a book about Japan and maybe even pre-check some spots with street view. There is really a lot so it mainly depends on your preferences. You can't really do wrong in Japan as everything seems to be special somehow. I guarantee you that if you don't plan anything and you just walk around the streets randomly, it would still be a kick ass experience you wouldn't wanna miss
>>
>>1258875
Why are you even thinking about planning a trip so far ahead?
>>
If there was one thing you did in Tokyo that you regretted paying for what was it and why?
>>
>>1258890
Tokyo Skytree

Currently in Osaka, will head soon to kyoto, slightly rainy here today senpais
>>
>>1258567
1. What medium are you using? Tinder?
2. Be 100% honest with us (not so we can judge you, but so we can help you): are you ugly?
>>
Is it true most japanese don't do 'breakfast' the way most people think of it? I was looking up some places in tokyo for breakfast but can't find much out of the way aside from pastries of bread/muffin/beagle places. Aside from shit like mcdonalds, which I would rather avoid chains, not seeing much.

I usually like to eat a decent breakfast as I don't feel stupid hungry throughout the day. Any advice?
>>
>>1258903
Most nips I know either make stuff at home, have leftovers or skip it and grab lunch. I personally just grab lunch since it's only a couple of hours difference and more places are open.
>>
>>1258905
Hmm that kinda sucks, looking around I did find some breakfast places but they are stupid expensive. Kinda hoped for something more but oh well, might just do some WcDonalds and grab something. Nothing against pastries but seeing how foot will be my main mode of transportation, I'd rather eat something in the morning of some kind of substance.
>>
>>1258903
Cafes in Japan often have set breakfast meals they offer, typically both a Japanese-style breakfast (rice, miso soup, fish, maybe natto) and their take on a Western-style breakfast.
>>
>>1258908
>WcDonalds
At least get some local fast food like MOS Burger or something.
>>
>>1258911
Not limiting myself to just there, just using that as an example of a fallback
>>
>>1258880
>>1258883
>>1258885
Thanks a lot, guys. I'll certainly check all those tips. =)

>>1258887
Ah yes, sorry the delay. It's the time I calculated to have enough money to have a nice vacation over there! Since our economy isn't helping much (BR), I have to save enough for me and to help my gf (she's currently an intern in a accounting office)
>>
Hey guys, are there any good jazz clubs or any other live music venues in Tokyo and Osaka worth checking out?
>>
>>1258920
In the apartment building I stayed at in Osaka there was this comfy as fuck Jazz bar thing on the ground floor of the building, I went there every night to get some drinks. Can't remember the name though.
>>
>>1258903
If you don't mind spending 2k yen a meal, Bill's in Omotesando is open for breskfast and gives you a lot of good food. The ricotta pancakes are great.
>>
>>1258926
I might do that once but for the most part I want to spend 500-700 yen idealy and save most my money for dinner with friends and drinks
>>
What's a good level of fluency for making friends in Japan?
>>
>>1258934
as long as you can understand each other then it's enough.
>>
Anyone use T mobile in japan? Looks like I get free unlimited 3G and text in all the places I am going. I was thinking about just using that for most of my trip since it looks like free wifi is pretty common in most the area's I am visiting and for those places not I can deal with 3G for basic stuff.

Was wondering if anyone has done this before, sadly my phone isn't dual sim so I can't get B mobile.
>>
>>1258920
I was thinking of going to JZ Brat at the Cerulean hotel.

Anyone been there?
>>
>>1258952
Relying on free wifi is going to be painful, even in Tokyo. All the subways have free wifi, a relatively new thing, but walking around its relatively difficult to find wifi spots unless you already have a phone plan.

Why not unlock your phone or just get a pocket wifi
>>
File: 1388634613654.jpg (111KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1388634613654.jpg
111KB, 960x540px
>>1258920
Are you by chance going to be in Tokyo until 24th of June? I'm arriving Saturday with going to jazz bars as my main activity
>>
>>1258961
Sorry, I'll be arriving in Tokyo on July 2nd
>>
So I'm looking through Air B&B, what's this cleaning fee on some of these places?
>>
>>1258874
Yes it's mostly paved road. I'd recomend the cable car though, there rrally isn't much to see along the climb from the cable car station upwards. However, from mitake station, make sure to walk along the gorge to the cable car, very comfy
>>
>>1258971
I was wondering if this is included in the price it shows, like if the price shown is $20 a night and there's a $7 cleaning fee, are you paying $20 or $27 total?
>>
I'll be for the first time in Japan for 2 weeks, visiting Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and Nara.
I'm not getting all the fees in Hyperdia, should I buy the JR Pass or not?
>>
File: total.png (86KB, 403x574px) Image search: [Google]
total.png
86KB, 403x574px
>>1258975
>>1258971
It's fairly straight forward. The listing price would be X per night, then there is cleaning and service fees, when you click on it the total will appear on the right side. pic related, you would pay the sum of room + cleaning fees + services fees.

Think of it like ordering a pizza from somewhere shitty that says the pizza is 10, service fee is 2, delivery is 3. The total cost would be 15 dollars
>>
>>1258952
i wanted to, but unfortunately i had pre-paid and getting post-paid took another sim card, but i tried to set it up the night before my flight
>>
>>1258952
I used Tmobile in South Korea and had no problems. There were times where the internet speeds were slow, but most of the time I had no problems using my phone without wifi.
>>
>>1258976
Depends how long you are staying. I am doing a 30 day trip to japan but taking a bus to my first destination, then activating my JR pass to the remaining 5 spending a day or so at each before riding back to tokyo to fly out.

I went back and did a rework lining up the shortest routes between each point to maximize time there. I also found I could take a bus for 2500 yen to my first saving me from having to buy a JR pass for over 7 days or cut my visiting short
>>
>>1258978
That makes sense, I was just wondering because when I would check the additional prices the cleaning fee was like $1,000 or more.
>>
>>1258979
>>1258960

Basically everywhere I am going(with a group mind you so we might all chip in for a mobile hot spot) I am just using google maps with the offline mode enabled, discord, google translate, and maybe google hangouts. It looks like T mobile has a way to add "HIGH SPEED" option for the time there so activating 4G TLE for 5 GB @ 10 dollars isn't bad.

>>1258980
Thanks, mostly checking to see if it is usable for basic tasks. Any and all photo uploads I will probably do at my hostel/airbnb, which usually always have free wifi of some kind that I know is better than 3G.

>>1258983
Cleaning fee is only what is listed by the host. IIRC the host is responsible for getting insurance for any unforeseen cleaning or other damages. It's a calculated risk that 9/10 airbnb guests will just need beds washed, it's just that one that comes in drunk and barfs everywhere
>>
File: Screenshot_20170607-002303.png (25KB, 539x592px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170607-002303.png
25KB, 539x592px
>>1258984
>Cleaning fee is only what is listed by the host
This is what it says, but after booking it has a more reasonable price.
>>
>>1258985
Someone had to have mistyped that or is really off their rocker. No one would charge a guest 15/night and then 1300 cleaning unless you are going to a known hooker or whore house
>>
Has anybody had luck with Pairs?
>>
>>1258984
For basic tasks, Tmobile is complete fine.The one thing I noticed is that Google Maps was unusable at times, so having Google Maps on offline mode would be a good idea. I dont think activating 4G LTE is worth it, unless you're planning on streaming music/videos or any other task that requires a lot of data.
>>
>>1258972
I'm trying to Dave money since I went way over budget the last few days
>>
>>1258992
Save
>>
>>1258992
in that case, you might consider going all the way to Okutama and then hiking up towards Mitake. Might be a better way up than along the cable car and you only have to go down on the cable car side
>>
>>1258368
I fucking hope so, hahaha. I'm bringing about 15 pounds. I'd never even considered that it would be an issue.
>>
Spent the day with a Jap girl I met on penpal ages ago (but we never talked) now I'm depressed at the thought of traveling alone for another week.
>>
>>1258633
I am sorry my comment bothered you so much. I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings on this sensitive topic. That's just been what I've noticed. Sometimes people aren't as interested and they phase out. I agree with you that people are busy. I know I have to plan something as simple as a kissaten meetup weeks in advance to fit my own schedule. It's tough to make plans, but when we chat on Line or in person it's always been really easy for me to talk to women and men.

If we're on the subject of dating, then it is a little harder because >>1258738 is right. If you're not Japanese you may not be taken seriously in a relationship.
>>
>>1258903
Places like Matsuya serve breakfast, although in a Japanese sense that usually means miso soup, rice, and some kind of fish. That never sounded appealing to me first thing in the morning, so I always just got breakfast from a Family Mart.

If you want a western breakfast, also check out the family restaurant chains, like Johnathan's, they might not have English menus though.
>>
How does security deposits on airbnb work?

>>1258981
Would you mind sharing your itinerary? Where can I find information on buses?
>>
Any of you guys use draw string bags in Japan? I'm going in July and think that probably might be the best type of bag to use while walking around, especially in the heat.
>>
>>1259074
can't carry much of shit
>>
>>1259074
they're not very popular over there but I used it (and also use it wherever I'm travelling).
>>1259077
those things can fit a surprising amount of stuff. At times I was walking around with drinks, an umbrella, a tripod, a DSLR and 3 camera lenses in mine
>>
>>1259064
>How does security deposits on airbnb work?

You're suppose to get it back the day your airbnb ends, however I've heard horror stories about it being iffy and slow process where the host found "damages" or is slow to get around to releasing it.
>>
>>1257933
Book off in Shibuya was decent
>>
>>1259034
Jonathan's had an English menu.
>>
>>1258644
This seems like a completely sane and reasonable statement to make. You definitely aren't mad and holding a grudge right now or anything.

Japan isn't perfect, not trying to claim that, and the Japanese are a bit unique, but don't you think that maybe you are over exaggerating a little bit right now?
>>
Anyone ever climb mt fuji? looks like a 5 hour climb, more than physically up to it. Wonder if anyone had tips on places to stay around there.
>>
>>1258878

Japanese Kit-Kats are always a good item to bring back.
>>
>>1259257
I thought about those kit kats, but here in LA you can find them in many stores.
>>
>>1259181
So, it's actually deducted the moment you book? I've read about it on the airbnb page and I thought that they won't actually charge unless the host makes a claim?
>>
>>1259282
Even sake, wasabi, and strawberry shortcake flavors?
>>
>>1259257
I've just read about it, dude! And what's the deal with the banana sweet? Is it really that good? I've seen many people talking about it.
>>
>>1259291
Then they may have changed it, last I heard and remember was that the security deposit was taken and put on a hold until the host okay'd the room.

Though given how many problems were with it and complaints I heard, I figure they would have changed it. I usually avoid places with deposits especially if traveling far because it is your word against theirs and that never ends well
>>
>>1259332
I see, thanks for your insight. I'll play it safe as well and try to avoid places with security deposits.
>>
>>1259342
99 out of 100 places will be fine unless you really fuck something up, don't get me wrong. If it's changed that is good, but when I like to travel security deposits are one of those things I'd rather not just have to worry about when traveling. I'd rather just book a hostel or the like, and not worry about a "surprise take out of a security deposit".
>>
To anyone that has climbed Mt Fuji in mid august, how is the weather?
>>
>>1259350
I am doing it mid august as well actually, debating if I want to pay the 7000 yen to stay overnight at the top.
>>
>>1259292
Several stores have the sake flavored and I personally dont care for wasabi, but I'm intrigued on the strawberry shortcake kit kats. Looks like the more unique flavored kit kats are only available in Japan, so I'll keep an eye on those. Are there any other chocolates or sweets to check out?
>>
To the guy who was looking to buy traditional crafts, check this channel out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3N0EPxNFKDFKHFNhB9YaZw/videos
>>
File: map.jpg (897KB, 962x1348px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
897KB, 962x1348px
>>1259412
>>
>>1256895
Go there so you can get your obligatory instagram selfies (good luck getting them without any randoms in it) and tick it off your list
>>
This isn't a travel question exactly but more for curiosity. I recently read an old Japanese novel in which throwing oneself into a volcano was mentioned as a method of suicide. So I'm wondering if you guys are aware if this is something people actually do or did, and what volcanoes you can actually walk up and jump into a pit of lava

>>1256924
Just learn charades and you will be fine. I had a phrase book but all I bothered with was "arigato" and the occasional konichiwa.
>>
>>1256895
Everytime kyoto is posted here I think the general consensus is that it is worth the day trip to see some old buildings and history. Which unless you are a huge history buff you can knock out most in a morning and afternoon.

My plan is basically

>arrive 9ish in kyoto
>hit up the palaces and tours first
>grab or maybe skip lunch
>hit up some of the land marks on the way to a museum or two
>catch the 5 or 6 pm train to Osaka
>enjoy the nightlife and check into my hostel/airbnb
>go back on the 1 hour train ride if I feel like I missed anything
>if not hit up the deer park, dick around in osaka, maybe bounce to kobe for a meal and swim in the ocean

like >>1257162 Kyoto is heavily sold as a "must see! ancient japan!" for tourists, I mean I'd be bullshitting you if I told you I didn't fall for it originally.
>>
>>1259419
>not going to Fushimi Inari
>>1259415
>obligatory instagram selfies
What are the meme selfie locations in Kyoto?
>>1256895
It isn't bad but I'd say that 3-5 days is enough for the average person. 3 days at a ryokan or 5 days at a normal hotel, then explore to your heart's content.
>>
>>1259422
>Fushimi Inari
Hence the "hit up some land marks", I would consider that a land mark
>>
>>1259422
>What are the meme selfie locations in Kyoto?
Fushimi Inari, the bamboo forest and the golden pavilion all spring to mind
>>
New bread >>1259425
>>
>>1258875
For the airbnb experiences, you have more than 2 years so who knows what will be available then. But I did do a sushi class from it and I think it was a worthwhile experience. So yeah I'd say do one of those if you get the chance.
>>
I'm in Japan now on my way to K's House in Tokyo. Anyone wanna hang out? I feel in over my head and yet kinda excite. So many cute schoolgirls.
>>
>>1259419
I disagree on the daytrip, as the main things to see are not located so close as to make it feasible, and especially not in a 9-5 trip, unless you want to constantly run from place to place or be very selective in what you see.
>>
>>1259462
I'm staying the edo-tokyo museum I can hang if you want. Also going to mount Mitake tomorrow if you want to come with.
>>
>>1259481
Kyoto deserves at least 3 days from my experience.
>>
>>1258961
I'll be in tokyo from 13th to 17th.
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.