[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 27

File: 1458878445490.jpg (700KB, 2304x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1458878445490.jpg
700KB, 2304x1536px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1184988
>>
Raves in Japan, what are some good places? Going there with a group for New Years.
>>
Those are probably weird questions, but if questions about where to cum on a prostitute are ok, I guess mine are also ok:

1) Where in Osaka can I buy a small overpriced designer vase to put just one flower in?

2) Where in Osaka can I buy a kendama of good quality and design?
>>
>>1186444
99 skyline gtr's get my dick hard

do cars like that drive around tokyo sometimes?
>>
>>1186441
Dai Sushi, Sushi Daiwa and Sushibun are the best trinity of Sushi shops in Tsukiji market.

Sushibun isnt known by tourists or foreigners and is where all the fishermen go to have their sushi, try there. Their lines arent as long.
>>
>>1186461
Yeah, we went to the one that was on the far left, the one with the huge line was on the far right. If it's really worth it to hit up the market again just to try one of the better ones, we might think about it.
>>
File: kfc.png (3MB, 1920x888px) Image search: [Google]
kfc.png
3MB, 1920x888px
Have you preordered your $40 bucket of Christmas Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Tick tock, time is running out.
>>
>>1186466
Dai Sushi's lines start at 3 am.

You gotta be prepared if you want to go there.
>>
>>1186468
Considering we're gonna be there during this upcoming month, is there anything you can only get in Japan only this time of year from KFC that you guys would recommend? I know they do a big feast from KFC and all that, but was wondering if any of the seasonal stuff is any good?
>>
File: original.jpg (55KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
55KB, 500x334px
>>1186468
>buying $40 worth of KFC
>>
>>1186470
Is it really worth getting out there that early for? I feel like anything with expectations that high is just asking for a let down.
>>
>>1186478
They serve sushi that are as good as restaurants that are over hundreds of dollars while being all english speakers and extremely friendly with excellent service. They are no.1 for a good reason at the market. If you dont plan to spend money eating at high class sushi places like I did with booking some michelin starred places and will only go have sushi at one place in japan, go to Dai Sushi.

Also Tsukiji market is shutting down next year, those shops wont exist soon.
>>
>>1186473
They always have seasonal stuff on their menu, and some of it is pretty good, but KFC is really overpriced. Even a small meal (like four pieces of chicken, medium fries, and a drink) can set you back $15.

McDonalds had french fries with chocolate sauce around Halloween. I didn't try it.
>>
So I asked about diving in Okinawa a couple weeks ago and I now have a follow up.

I'm planning on going snowboarding in December in Japan with some friends who have done it before, but I'm also wondering if it's possible to do some diving in Okinawa before heading over to Japan in December.
Are the conditions good year round?
>>
>>1186481
To be honest, I hated the experience of Tsukiji market. I guess I didn't fully think what it would be like, and just went there out of touristy compulsion.

On the sidewalks of Tokyo, I had to constantly avoid people on bikes; at Tsukiji, I had to constantly avoid dudes on these motorized carts. I just felt so in the way, although not as in the way and tacky as all the other foreigners who were stopping every few seconds to take pics with their phones.

Even the sushi I had nearby was only okay...Wasn't Sushi Dai, but I still had to wait like 20 minutes to get in...
>>
Anyone know of any cougar bars in Tokyo?
Google hasn't helped me out with that
>>
I need to get from Takayama to the Nagoya airport. How much leeway do I need to leave for delays etc, along with how early should I get to the airport?

My Flight would be at 11:30, and it appears the early trains are quite slow and would not actually save me much time compared to the one that would get me there at about 10 AM, is that cutting it too close?
>>
File: img_0853 (1).jpg (2MB, 1516x1011px) Image search: [Google]
img_0853 (1).jpg
2MB, 1516x1011px
>>1186444
Gotta love the older skylines.

Speaking of cars, anyone know of any car meets/drift events mid-late january?
I know the itashas in UDX and the Daikoku PA but thats about it. I dont think many drift courses are open due to snow.
>>
File: IMG_0006.jpg (1005KB, 2102x2999px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0006.jpg
1005KB, 2102x2999px
There is now a /trv/Japan LINE group!
If you would like to join, email your LINE ID to:

trv4chan@gmail dot com
>>
>>1186528
Is this one of those instant photo cameras?
>>
>>1186473
The KFC deal is good if you actually live in Japan since most people don't have real ovens and its hard if not impossible to cook a full chicken at home
>>1186485
KFC is not overpriced, food is just priced at what a normal person should be eating (you don't need four pieces of chicken for one meal).

If you go there on vacation you end up blowing a ton of money on food by trying to load up on meat. Once you live there you blow your first pay check on way too much food, shit sucks for a month when you adjust your diet. Then your stomach shrinks back to normal size, you lose a ton of weight, and realize you don't actually need four pieces of chicken, a soda, and fries to feel full
>>
File: 1480403241017.jpg (2MB, 2069x2959px) Image search: [Google]
1480403241017.jpg
2MB, 2069x2959px
>>1186528
Is the joke it's bright green because LINE?
>>
>>1186536
I've always had a BMI of 18. You don't need to lecture me on serving sizes.

KFC in Japan is overpriced. $8 for two bony pieces of fried chicken is a ripoff. Especially when you can get an equal portion of Lawson's karage-kun chicken for literally half the price, if not less. Hell, a legit ramen restaurant had a fried chicken appetizer equal to what you can get at KFC and it cost nothing by comparison.
>>
Sup

I'm going to Kobe to try their beef. Where should I eat? What should I order? And how much should I expect to spend? I'm fine with anything under $150. I don't give a shit about any extras -- just the steaks.

Also, is there anything else worth doing in Kobe? The stuff online looks pretty lame.
>>
>>1186509

Someone in the other thread was saying that the Sukiyabashi Samboa Bar was good for cougs. Upper-mid class single women who enjoy good whiskey, or something like that.
>>
>>1186546
Do they give you drumsticks, or is it a drumstick and a dry chicken breast
>>
>>1186554
At KFC it's one chicken breast with the bones and one drumstick.

Lawson's is boneless nuggets or breast. The ramen place I went to, the best IMO, was four pieces of boneless dark meat and a delicious spicy sauce for a little over $3, plus a slaw.
>>
>>1186551
Kobe beef is more a myth than anything else.
The cows aren't fed beer and massaged all day like some urban myths tell you, and in fact there are similar high-class beef brands all over Japan. Every second prefecture has some kind of classy brand-name beef, and most of them are pretty much the same - good-quality marbled meat. The Japanese usually don't spice meat or do it well-done, which makes high-quality meat more important - on top of that, the culture generally puts a lot of value on freshness and high quality in the individual ingredients.
In Japan, Kobe beef is considered a good brand, given, but Matsuzaka and Yonezawa beef are eaten much more frequently, and the former might just be the most famous brand. Western tourists used to the heavier spicing, less attention to ingredient quality and fewer regulations of American and European meat just bit onto Kobe beef and started pushing it as True Nipponese Delicacy Number One, when it's in reality just because it's easy to market to Westerners who then proceed to whack it in the oven with three different spice rubs when it just needs to be seared with salt and pepper at most.
Kobe beef is a trend used by rappers to sell CDs and American beef companies to sell ripoffs. The prices will be even higher than normal because everyone wants a piece of the tourist money, and the restaurants will be less likely to actually serve good food but instead pitch themselves on the most expensive meat.
If you want to find out all of what you just asked, sit down in front of the TV for two hours when you get there. There will be food shows on air, and there will be something about beef. The Japanese love their food, and if you want to know anything about it, just turn on the TV. On top of that, all food shows give the name and address of the restaurants featured, along with a few popular dishes.
>>
File: IMG - Copy (2).jpg (1MB, 1452x1749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG - Copy (2).jpg
1MB, 1452x1749px
>>1186533
Nope, it was a really old roll of fuji shot on an old pos.

>>1186541
Thanks for the edit! Hadn't gotten around to it just yet.
Not a joke, just really old film. Pic related.
>>
>>1186509
Go to a happening bar on a weekday.
>>
>>1186564
You are an idiot.

>1186551
The reason why Kobe beef is highly valued is because they raise the Wagyu breed which is able to achieve high marble scores. Wagyu beef is raised all over the country, so don't be too concerned about provenance.

If you are looking for quality beef you can find it in any major city very easily. Check out online reviews of steak restaurants, pick a restaurant and look for a minimum marble score of 8 on the menu. Don't listen to that numbnuts, they cook it in beef fat and there is plenty of seasoning available.
>>
>>1186551
Try finding Matsuzaka, it's the only beef that you can find in japan right now.
>>
File: osaka.png (813KB, 859x873px) Image search: [Google]
osaka.png
813KB, 859x873px
Can the Shinkansen take me from Osaka Station to the station nearest to the dinosaur museum?

I don't think Google Maps shows routes for the Shinkansen.
>>
>>1186584
Google maps does show shinkansen, you need to select the public transportation tab. If there is no available routes, you may need to look into highway buses.
>>
>>1186585
Yeah, it doesn't show any routes for public transport.
>>
Sup nigs.

I want to buy a kimono. Not the whole fucking ceremonial outfit, just something to chill in, like my my man Danny McB here. Where should I go? What should I get? What should I expect to pay?
>>
Has anyone here taken a lighter/zippo with them from Melbourne airport to Narita?

Did you have any troubles/get it taken from you?
>>
>>1186586
Actually I stand corrected, you technically can take the shinkansen, but in terms of time it doesn't change shit.
Did you check the actual website and what it says?

https://www.dinosaur.pref.fukui.jp/en/info dot html
>>
>>1186589
Why would you need to? Just buy a lighter at any convenience store when you get to Japan.
>>
>>1186586
Actually it does. Assuming we're talking about the same dinosaur museum.
>>
>>1186591
Thanks. I haven't checked the website yet, looking at it now.

>>1186594
Yeah that's the one. It might be because I clicked on the museum instead of Katsuyama Station.
>>
>>1186592
I really like my zippo.
>>
>>1186589
I suppose it depends on the airline, but most do not allow lighters on board. Check your specific airline or airports for details.
>>
File: 1.png (27KB, 760x446px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
27KB, 760x446px
>>1186598
Melbourne airport's website doesn't really specify anything about lighters, but the Qantas website says this about cigarette lighters.
>>
So, going off my question last thread, if I speak fluent Japanese and joint the JET, is there any way to perhaps transition into a permanent teaching position somewhere?
>>
>>1186450
residentadvisor.net
>>
File: 1467962847100.jpg (208KB, 1050x779px) Image search: [Google]
1467962847100.jpg
208KB, 1050x779px
>>1186606
Do you honestly want to become an English teacher for the rest of your life? If you speak fluent Japanese and English, and have graduated from a university, you can do much better than teaching English. If you aren't completely incompetent nor socially awkward you can get a full time job teaching English, even if you don't know Japanese.
>>
>>1186606
Being fluent in Japanese actually works against you for most teaching gigs in Japan
>>1186613
But like this guy said use English teaching to get an easy visa and immediately start looking for a real job. The only people teaching English for 5+ years that you don't feel bad for are the ones who actually got graduate degrees in English that can teach at universities and such
>>
>>1186613
>>1186616

I guess I should have actually elaborated more, I meant do JET for a bit to perhaps get some sort of foot in the door to teach other subjects.
>>
>>1186606
Nah, mate. You'll need a certificate which means you'll need to go back to school (in Japan) to earn it and you would just be wasting your time. It's not worth it to live that kind of life, trust me.

Also, joining JET isn't that simple. I think their acceptance rate is something like 18%. Don't assume you being "fluent" will land you the job.
>>
>>1186552
Thank you my dear anon. Hopefully I'll be banging some fine coug because of your help
>>
>>1186573
>shooting old fujifilm with all the choices available in stores

y anon, I am literally dying because Natura is so hard to get by where I live ;__;
>>
>>1186597
Stop being autistic m8.
>>
>>1186637
Do you know where I could find Zippos in Japan?
>>
April a good month to travel around?
>>
Is JET really the only way to get that English teaching job in Japan? That shit is too competitive.
>>
>>1186645
There are hundreds of English teaching jobs in Japan. JET is just the best one.
>>
does anyone have any recommendations for someone who is interested in movies, in and around tokyo?
>>
>>1186215 #
No I'm from the Netherlands, I'm just visiting someone but that person is busy during the day.
Do you have line or something to discuss this?
>>
>>1186664
for
>>>1186215

I've been on this god damn imageboard for I dont know how long and I dont know how to link cross threads jesus.
>>
How doable is it to be booking a trip now to Japan over the holidays (Christmas & New Years)?
>>
>>1186681
Depends what you mean with doable. It has become rather expensive I believe. If money isnt an issue then of course it is doable.
>>
>>1186573
Haha that was an old film. Thanks aunty.
>>
>>1186576
>Wagyu beef

Marketing bullshit. It is average beef at best.

https://refinedchef.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/imperial-kobe-beef-vs-wild-rose-beef/
>>
>>1186641
IIRC That's when cherry blossoms bloom so it's scenic as fuck but fact check me
>>
>>1186724
yeah it is about then. Starts towards the end of March and works its way north. There are usually maps put out every year forecasting it. Awesome time to be there.
>>
>>1186551
Don't really need to eat kobe beef, wagyu in general is amazing. Bought a wagyu steak from a random supermarket and cooked it terribly in my friend's fish grill and it was still the best steak I'd ever had.
>>
>>1186681
Things not to do around new year's:

take any form of public transportation anywhere
>>
>>1186754
I'll be at Comiket and staying around the Greater Tokyo Area.
>>
>>1186757
Have fun, winter comiket is nice because the cold offsets the massive amounts of body heat from the crowd
>>
File: image.png (264KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
264KB, 1000x1000px
Reposting once per thread:

Tokyo meetup.
Dec 28th - dinner
Dec 29th - comiket/whatever we decide on 28th

Drop me a line to stay in touch:
Kensamameetup at gmail.com

Or catch me up in LINE group, name is Tokyo meetup op.
>>
>>1186649
JET isn't technically the best--there are better. My job is better. But yeah 95% of the time you cant really do better than JET.
>>
How much Japanese should I learn? Travelling in Feb.
>>
>>1186766
How many people have messaged you about the meetup?

I'm kinda interested in going to the dinner, but I don't want it to be awkward as fuck. I'll also probably be younger than everyone else in the group.
>>
>>1186775
Arigatou gozaimasu
Sumimasen
gomenasai

Perhaps

tasukete(kudsai)!

That you could yell in an emergency. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about learning a so much Japanese just for vacation and as soon as two months from now.
>>
>>1186775
It's possible to get by without any knowledge of the language.
Greetings and so on are nice as a courtesy.
A few common traveling phrases - really the same as everywhere - may come in handy.
If you want to go further, learn to read numbers and maybe Katakana.
If you're ambitious, check out that Daily Japanese Thread on /a/ (wait now, where did it go?).
>>
>>1186766

Did you guys do this last year? How was it, any pictures? I'll be in Japan with a friend during that time but are thinking about hitting up some parties, not sure which to do.
>>
>>1186787
Ah of course, seconding katakana and maybe hiragana.

Don't bother learning much more than this if it's just for the purposes of your trip for getting by. Even learning how to ask directions is probably too much. The reason being you're probably you're not going to be able to learn or grasp everything that goes into any person's reply in Japanese.

Even though it's as simple as you saying "(some temple) wa doko desu ka?" You probably won't be able to follow much of their response.

>konnichiwa
>arigatogozaimasu
>sumimasen
>tasukete(kudasai)!
>katakana and hiragana

And you basically should be set.
>>
I've been looking into this JET program and it seems really fucking competitive. I've got people in my college who seem like total annoying weeb nerds that complain about not being selected. How the hell did you autistic fucks get the job?
>>
>>1186786
It wouldn't hurt to learn kanji for "man", "woman", "entrance", "exit"..
>>
>>1186793
>I've got people in my college who seem like total annoying weeb nerds that complain about not being selected.

If I may offer you perspective... Have you stopped to consider that perhaps this is exactly the problem? Do you think the HR people of the JET program are saying, "Yeah, let's find the biggest dorks we can who just want to come to Japan because they looooove it so much."

Probably those dipshits just went on and on about how much they love Japan and Japanese culture in their personal statements. They probably neglected to fully address the *job* portion of JET. You are there to a be teacher. Well, at least a "teacher"---which even still does require some degree of poise and normie energy. JET doesn't want people they think are just going to fuck off and want a free ticket to Japan.

There's no way that yet another mouth breathing troglodyte who beats it to Umaru-chan is preferable. My first job in Japan was AEON and I can tell you that I basically was hired based on the fact that I wore a nice suit (one weeb at my hiring session wore white athletic socks with his shitty ill-fitting dad suit, the other worse a fucking argyle zip up), and the fact that I chatted with the recruiters about normie shit like football before the info session began. (Most people just grabbed the papers and went into room like aspies).
>>
>>1186793

Is it really that competitive? I'm pretty sure the bachelor's degree requirement alone takes out most of your "competition". The remaining few just tough it out and deal with the process.
>>
>>1186716
Nice blog
>>
Semi stupid question, I know it completely depends on many factors but when going to japan what do you all averagely bring? Going to Comiket, not looking to buy too much stuff and planning for that con at the end of my trip so I don't accidentally blow my money and not have any food for the remainder of the trip.

I'm going in August for 16 days, thinking about bringing 2000(for some souvenirs and some anime stuff) and 1500 for food, so around 3500 in total. My stops are Hiroshima, Takayama, Fuji, Tokyo and Osaka/Kobe, which I am paying for outside the 3500 I plan to bring.

Guess some questions I have are:

Is alcohol pretty expensive in japan? I've heard stories of liquor/beer being quite expensive compared to in the US.

Any non US friendly places to stay away from? I know some pretty basic Japanese but nothing super great.

Is it better to do currency exchanges before or after getting into Japan(I assume before but never know).

Easiest way to bring things back or ship things back home that I buy in japan?

Is Maruyamacho really a tourist trap?

Thanks, kinda new to lurking these threads, apologizes if these questions have been asked before.
>>
>>1186716
Cringey as fuck.
>>
>>1186801
>I'm pretty sure the bachelor's degree requirement alone takes out most of your "competition".

I'd say this is false.
>>
>>1186805

>1500 for food

Holy shit are you going to eat out at an expensive ass place every 3 meals of the day?
>>
>>1186808
I'm more or less using it as a slush fund in which I can put to buying stuff. I do plan to eat some fine dining, but I always like to over estimate. Note, this is including alcohol purchases with the food. I am meeting up with a few friends in japan when I am out.

I'm estimating 100 a day but I doubt I am going to hit that mark every day, some days I might be over other days highly under.
>>
File: 1476121194557.jpg (74KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
1476121194557.jpg
74KB, 429x600px
>>1186716
This has to be one of the more pretentious things I have ever read about food reviews.
>>
File: 2080_05.jpg (106KB, 650x385px) Image search: [Google]
2080_05.jpg
106KB, 650x385px
Has anyone gone to a sumo wrestling tournament or seen any practices?

I'm heading over to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara next late March.
>>
>>1186805
I heard alcohol was pretty cheap in Japan, although I am from New Zealand so I don't know what it's like in America.
>>
>>1186444
So I recently came into a lot of money. If i start throwing some yen around, how hard would it be to get myself a qt jap gf? (Gold diggers are fine)
>>
>>1186704
:)
A lot came out a bit blurry. Got a few decent prints though.
>>
>>1186846
Aussie here alcohol was pretty cheap. It'll be cheaper for you because nz is expensive as fuk.
>>
Tell me about Okinawa guys, I'll be there for about 4 days. Is it worth exploring the other southern island chains? (Like Ishigaki) if I only have 4 days or just hang out on the main island?
>>
>>1186846
>>1186851

NZ and Austrailia both have pretty high cost of alcohol when compared to the US

Looks like alcohol is a about the same if you go to a liquor store but bar prices in Tokyo seem to be high, probably because it is a major city.
>>
File: image.jpg (355KB, 483x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
355KB, 483x604px
>>1186781
21, so real attendance will probably be around 10. Maybe a bit more, some mentioned they are with SOs/friends. Maybe less. It can be awkward, it can be awesome, I can't guarantee anything as I don't know the people. At least I can assure you no one cares much about the age as long as you act like an adequate human being.

>>1186789
No, that's the first time. You're welcome to join.
>>
I've messaged my AirBnB host twice now about sending me details on the apartment number and how to get the apartment keys, but I've yet to hear back from them. I'm going to be arriving in Tokyo on Friday. Should I be worried?

The other two hosts I've booked an apartment from have been responsive and helpful, but I'm worrried about this first one as I don't have anything planned as a backup.
>>
>>1186616

>real job
>as a foreigner in Japan

Yeah, working IT for 80 hours a week isn't my idea of a real job mate, even if they do offer company health insurance and pension.
>>
>>1186793
I'm not JET, but I'm in a similar position. I got my job because I volunteered at family-oriented events and worked at the same job for years which also dealt with multicultural children. I studied advanced English courses, made good grades, and am friendly. I also chatted with the recruiter, wasn't scared to ask questions, and I made an effort to organize a cheap lunch outing with other recruits. I think the recruiter really liked my past experience and seeing how easy going I was with people. I never mentioned anything about anime, because I'm a little indifferent to it. I did highlight how beneficial English is in today's world and how I would enjoy teaching that skill to others. Your priority should be how you can use your skills to benefit your employers, but don't over sell yourself or you'll be in my position where I'm a newbie in a veteran's position now.
>>
>>1186865
I'm not sure if its stated in the policy whether they should hand out address details immediately whenthey receive payment but this does seem very dodgy. I would bring some extra cash just in case they decide to cancel last minute
>>
Does anyone know if clothing chains like H&M carry the same stuff in Japan as elsewhere or if they have different collections?
>>
>>1186899
>I'm not sure if its stated in the policy whether they should hand out address details immediately whenthey receive payment but this does seem very dodgy. I would bring some extra cash just in case they decide to cancel last minute

It all depends on whether the host is reliable and Japanese hosts tend to be reliable, but that's not everyone of course. Have tried clicking through your itinerary? Many hosts leave additional information there.
>>
>>1186915
Yeah, I've checked everywhere and can't find any more information.

And all the reviews seem to be positive.
>>
>>1186918

Well then I'd just write him another message every day or so. If all the reviews are good, he'll probably respond sooner or later.
>>
>>1186921
Thanks. Hopefully they reply soon because there's not much time left, it's already almost Thursday here in Australia which means I've got 30 hours before I leave the country.
>>
>>1186914
http://www2.hm.com/ja_jp/index.html
>>
>>1186914
Check top floor at ginza uniqlo
>>
>>1186716
Lost my shit after "black tie and cocktails" part. I mean, does the author really think anyone would take his bs seriously given its written in such a laughable tone?
>>
>>1186805
>Is alcohol pretty expensive in japan? I've heard stories of liquor/beer being quite expensive compared to in the US.
Compared to the states, yes. At convenience stores you can get beer in a 350ml can for about 205. 500ml for close to 300. Beer is taxed higher than other alcoholic drinks because of a Malt tax. You can find pseudo-beers with lower malt content for cheaper. Whiskey from Japanese brands (700ml) start from about 600 (Tory's Black) and go up.

>Any non US friendly places to stay away from? I know some pretty basic Japanese but nothing super great.
Nothing in particular. People are generally kind and helpful. Typically it'll be the African touts in Roppongi and Kabukicho that might harass you a bit, but just don't be timid and they'll usually fuck right off.

>Is it better to do currency exchanges before or after getting into Japan(I assume before but never know).
No idea. Check the rates.

>Easiest way to bring things back or ship things back home that I buy in japan?
Easiest would probably be in your check-in luggage. Shipping from Japan is sort of expensive. Not sure what you're planning to buy though.

>Is Maruyamacho really a tourist trap?
Really depends what you want to do. As a local I don't typically go to that area unless I'm clubbing. That area in general is a bit dodgy though.
>>
Anyone in Tokyo during the dates December 12th to 16th? I have free time during the daytime and it might be interesting to meet up with other /trv/ people.
>>
>>1186791
It helps to have a map on hand.

Even if you can't get out something like "kore wa doko?", holding it while looking dumbfounded in a well visible space may attract helpful natives.
>>
>>1186606
My fluent friend who did JET out in the sticks now has a business consulting job in Tokyo pulling in six figures, you can aim higher than that anon
>>
File: aoi determined.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aoi determined.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>1187097

5 hours until I leave for the airport for my year in Japan. Nervousness covers me like a blanket, but wish me luck bros!
>>
>>1187102
What part of Japan will you be in?
>>
>>1187102
i hope you get cancer or something
>>
File: 1467631656765.jpg (58KB, 704x593px) Image search: [Google]
1467631656765.jpg
58KB, 704x593px
>>1187102
About 2410 hours for me!
>>
>>1187097
Six figures in yen that is
>>
>>1186978
>Compared to the states, yes. At convenience stores you can get beer in a 350ml can for about 205. 500ml for close to 300. Beer is taxed higher than other alcoholic drinks because of a Malt tax. You can find pseudo-beers with lower malt content for cheaper. Whiskey from Japanese brands (700ml) start from about 600 (Tory's Black) and go up.

Thanks anon, checked it out and liquor stores aren't so bad, a good bit of the english bars are up there. Might just get a bottle of booze and pre-game at my hotel prior to going out.

>Easiest would probably be in your check-in luggage. Shipping from Japan is sort of expensive. Not sure what you're planning to buy though.

Cool beans. Mostly buying some comic books, posters, basic tourist (I was here!) and maybe some figurines.

>Really depends what you want to do. As a local I don't typically go to that area unless I'm clubbing.

Any good areas you know for some drinks in a semi calm environment(similar to a pub)? No idea what japanese bars get like.

Appreciate the help anon, doing my research on google but trying to wade through posts of 3+ years ago got annoying on some of the forums I found
>>
>>1187127
Well meme'd
>>
I'll be going to a public bath today. Do I need to bring my own slippers to walk around inside or will there be slippers?
>>
No slippers at all
>>
>>1187149

So you just walk around barefoot? What about the way from the locker to the bath?
>>
>>1186896

Man that's alot of effort, but I guess that's what you gotta do when it comes to getting a teaching job.
>>
>>1187174
Okay, just shake the managers hand and smile. That will get you any job you really want.
>>
>>1187177

How's the job anyway? I guess I can google "Experiences teaching in Japan" but I'd rather hear it from you guys. Guess I'm really more interested in the day to day rather than the big picture shit.
>>
>>1187104

Hakodate, up in Hokkaido.

Planes about to go. See you on the other side!
>>
>>1186893
lmao are you brain damaged? do you not understand that nips need real people?
>>
>>1187185
Oh, the seafood there is really good. Good luck anon, hope you enjoy yourself
>>
>>1186528
>>1186766

>This same autstic faggot over and over
>Being this scared to expIore aIone

HoIy shit you are such a faggot, and the spergs in the chat are so fucking embarassing l wouId never want to be caught with a bunch of baId over weight Miku fans spouting me mes.

Why wouId anyone save thousands of hard earned doIIars to waste it with 4 homos sociaIIy retarded enough to do something Iike this?

AIso we know the Iine chat OP and meet up OP are both you, you dumb faggot.

>Using your oId e maiI as the new Iine e maiI

You are so fucking stupid for making that mistake.
>>
>flying from Osaka to LAX
>it's ITM (Osaka) to Haneda, then Haneda to LAX
>long story short it's easier for me if I can just skip ITM to Haneda and only board the second part of my connecting flight

Can I do that? Or who should I contact, ANA (the flight I want to skip), Delta (Haneda to LAX), or the website I booked tickets through?
>>
>>1187217
due take a chill pill lmao
>>1187231
I would try the website first and then ANA if they can't help you
>>
>>1187174
Not really. I just try to market the skills I have. It took me a couple years after school to get a better job. My old job was a dead-in job. I applied all over the world for positions after graduating and Japan just happened to get back first.

>>1187178
Most people generally assist a Japanese teacher that specializes in English. You'll make up worksheets or games for the students about the grammar they learn, then support the head teacher during the lesson. You'll get a few days to a weeks notice of your assignments. Sometimes communication is a little hard since not all Japanese teachers are created equally, but overall it's a fun experience. Some people complain about the light work load and free time. You'll work probably at 1 or 2 small or large schools from 8 :15am-4:00pm.

My position is a little different. I am the head teacher. I plan the lessons after I get my assignment and prepare the materials the morning of at the specific school. I get my assignments usually the day before, but sometimes a few days in advance. I have a Japanese teacher in the room sometimes, but they're not very helpful. Communication can be tricky for me too. I also retrain new assistant teachers (like above) as well as Japanese teachers that work in schools. It's a hot mess, but I do like most of the students. They're strange kids, but they teach me a lot about Japanese culture and I'm happy to experience it. I work at seven large schools, a different school each day. Sometimes I won't see a specific school for a month. My workday is usually from 7:45am-4:30pm. I'm sorry this is so long, but it's better to know what you may realistically get yourself into.

The hardest thing about this job won't be the job though. For me, I moved to an urban area that is kanji heavy with no one to help me out. It's a sink or swim move, but it gives you the ability to travel.
>>
Uh, Hi im new to this thread, ive been reading about how people dont want to work 80 hour work weeks, And ive always wanted to go to japan ever since I was a kid, I wouldnt mind being a teacher over there and working hard for a degree, But I sure as shit wouldnt want to work more than spend time with a potential family.

Im currently 24, and Have wasted the earliest years of adulthood due to depression and self loathing, funny thing is im not autistic and in fact im a pretty outgoing guy if I'm interested in something, any information about work hours? and wether or not I could teach and by pass all of that shit
>>
>>1187267
read literally the post above yours
>>
File: Reg show.jpg (12KB, 235x131px) Image search: [Google]
Reg show.jpg
12KB, 235x131px
>>1187272
I had this open for about an a hour posted my comment and left, just now saw it, thanks for the heads up tho
>>
Do I need to buy a ticket in advance for the Narita express from the airport to Tokyo?

Or can I get a ticket when I'm there?
>>
>>1186848
>came into a lot of money
gross dude
>>
>>1186521
Anime expo 2016?
>>
>>1187281
You can get a ticket when you get there, there's always plenty of room
>>
File: img_0889 (1).jpg (3MB, 2022x1348px) Image search: [Google]
img_0889 (1).jpg
3MB, 2022x1348px
>>1187305
yup. there were some nice itashas in there.
Hopefully i get to see some at Akihabara
>>
>>1186760
I can vouch for that.
>>
>>1187313
I took pictures of all the same shit. Lol. I saw a few nice cars when I was in japan but not much.
>>
What's weather like in Tokyo during the New Years? I always thought it was snowy but I guess that's really just in the north.
>>
>>1187134
>Any good areas you know for some drinks in a semi calm environment(similar to a pub)? No idea what japanese bars get like.

Japanese Pubs, or Izakayas are chill. Although unless you go to a smaller local one, it is hard to meet new people at them.

If you're looking for a British or Irish style pubs, there are quite a few in Tokyo. The most famous being the chain pub, called Hub. You're sure to meet people there, but it won't be a Japanese feel.

For a more Japanese feel I would recommend Shibuya Yokocho. It's this place in the center of Shibuya set up with a bunch of yatai-esqe restaurants indoors. As long as you're somewhat proactive you shouldn't have too much of a problem meeting people here.
Their website is:
shibuyayokocho.com
unfortunately it seems like its all in Japanese, so try google.

Also typically I'd avoid most western style pubs, bars, clubs, and lounges in Roppongi unless you know where you are going. There a lot of places that are really nice, but if you step into the wrong one, it may lead to a bad night. And never follow the touts.
>>
>>1187157
barefoot
>>
Hey guys, heading to Tokyo in a week, what chill as fuck environment can I meet new people in? Maybe make a couple friends? I was going to meet a pen pal there but the guy isn't going to be available for the whole duration of my stay, still-- I want to establish some connections there if possible. I can speak a bit of Japanese, but I'm really not used to using keigo or any form of politeness, but that isn't to say I'm a douche or anything, it's just tough to remember sometimes.
>>
>>1187396
small izakaya bars, those that are pretty much just a bench and bar on the street are often pretty social and welcoming, but as I recall they are mostly occupied by 30+ japanese salarymen
>>
>>1187351
>What's weather like in Tokyo during the New Years?

Atlanta.
>>
>>1187396
I meet people at noodle restaurants. Just sit down, wait for someone to sit next to you, say hello in Japanese, ask a few questions about where they work and if they eat here often. I've met some really friendly salary men this way.
>>
>>1187351
it can get snowy but it is on the same latitude as the east coast so it is somewhat similar. You can look up past years on accuweather to see what weather was like for the past few years back
>>
>>1187254
Not him but thanks for the response dude
>>
>>1187436
I would type out a long reply, but if you can say something like this without shame and without realizing what's wrong, you're already too far gone to help.
Can you read the word 迷惑 without any help?
If not, it's the first word you should learn to recognize, remember the exact meaning of and keep in mind at all times. What you're doing is the textbook definition, and what you're receiving in return is just good manners.
>>
>>1187443
please continue posting long, ranting replies it makes your autism easier to identify and avoid
>>
>>1187447
Please continue posting short, theatrically sarcastic replies. It makes your lack of arguments easier to identify and laugh at.
>>
>>1187451
>>1187443
Holy shit; shut up. Please, this is so just so bad. The guy is talking about just being a friendly person in general and it's not even anything close to inconsiderate or troubling.

This is socially adjusted people can and are able to interact with each other.
>>
>>1187463
The foreigner is the guest and everyone in Japan is the host.
If you invite yourself into someone else's home without asking, the very least you could do is let them decide whether or not they want to deal with you.
Japanese manners pretty fucking firmly prohibit acting disinterested or breaking off the conversation, much less telling you off.
It's an obligation, and you can at the very least give them a choice to whether or not they want to take it.
Pushing an obligation onto someone without their consent is the textbook definition of "inconsiderate" and "troubling", gaijin smasher.
>>
File: 1474305347722.jpg (50KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474305347722.jpg
50KB, 499x500px
>>1187468
>If you invite yourself into someone else's home without asking, the very least you could do is let them decide whether or not they want to deal with you.

Literally why would you EVER invite yourself over without a reasonable sign that they want you to come over.
>>
Anyone have experience going to concerts in Japan? How much of a pain in the ass is it to get tickets?

From brief reading it sounds like you have to order on a site, which gives a a code, which you then go to some machine in lawson or something and use the code on that..?
>>
>>1187217
Please come to the meeting to laugh at how off your projections are
>>
>>1186846
From my experience beer and whiskey is what will cost you. I got a Moscow mule in a pint glass during happy hour and it was close to 250 yen.
>>
>>1187490
Yeah I noticed Vodka(and some rum) based drinks are stupidly cheap, wonder why.
>>
>>1187469
whos the artist? reimu looks amazing
>>
their drinking culture is pretty fucking strange, chatted with a salaryman who was drinking shochu+water drinks, and hoppy(beer flavoured alcohol free water)+vodka since it's slightly cheaper than beer..
>>
>>1187523
I've heard drinking in japan is common after work and for social events to prove you are a "fun happy person". Not sure if true, I know SK/Chinese red face is a thing, haven looked into if it is as bad for japs though
>>
>>1187526
oh yeah they usually come in gangs of 4-12 salarymen who get absolutely shitfaced and party hard, some of the shit they drink is pretty strange
>>
>>1187528
What are weekends for bars like in japan if you have ever been. From a navy town originally and they can get pretty crazy, I've heard everything from it's pretty peaceful to foreigners beware.

I guess it depends where you go too, but I've read crazy shit about downtown tokyo.
>>
>>1187529
people get very drunk and party until late morning. of course they never get violent, at least not more than regular drunks. if you are looking for something more or less calm just go somewhere else, you are spoiled for choice in tokyo
>>
>>1187468
Oh look, it's someone who's never actually been to a small bar in Japan.
>>
File: IMG_0413.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0413.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
In Tokyo until 12th of December with my buddy, we're not sure what to do yet, except for climbing Mt. Fuji. Any ideas? Anyone wanna meet up?
>>
>>1186848
>If i start throwing some yen around, how hard would it be to get myself a qt jap gf?
Pretty hard, as most Japanese women aren't attracted to material wealth, like western women have become, but moreso to strength of character, and a loving, caring disposition

I recommend just putting yourself out there and letting the real you shine through, people are attracted to those that feel naturally happy with themselves
>>
>>1187566
>climbing Mt. Fuji

Except maybe...don't do that now? It's technically closed unless you're a legit mountain climber. Lake Kawaguchiko is a cool little resort town you can day trip to if you just want to see the mountain, however.
>>
>>1187566
climbing mt fuji in december is a death sentence.
>>
Is the only way to get around via train in Japan the JR pass? I'll only be there for 5 days, so I don't think it'll be worth it.
>>
>>1187569
>>1187573
Then I guess I'll pass on that, gonna check that, gonna check that town out though thanks!
>>
>>1187567
>most Japanese women aren't attracted to material wealth
Holy shit, this guy.
>>
>>1187567
>just bee yourself :^)
>buzz buzz

Is this fucking bait?
>>
>>1187442
No problem. It was a good question and I have an update about it too. A lot of the assistant teachers I work with were telling me how they teach roughly 10-17 classes a week. That can give you an idea of how often you have to help lecture.

It's an overall good experience and I recommend it to anyone willing to study about another culture.
>>
>>1186444
Hello Anons, long time /trv/ler, but first time in Japan is coming up in a few weeks.

Although I am planning to take a trip specifically to Japan in the coming years it turns out I have a layover in Tokyo for 10 hours!

I made the mistake of spending 14 hours in an airport once because I was paralyzed with fear about missing my flight, well not this time, Tokyo is too great of a city to miss so I'm thinking why not a quick preview of what's to come while I'm waiting for my flight out?

If you were in Tokyo from 5AM to 4:30pm, what would you do or where would you go?

I'm thinking it might be nice to visit Akihabara. When I return to Japan I will go with my mother and I think she has no interest in that place.

Anyone know which trains to use from N airport/how to buy?
>>
>>1187591
If anyone wants to hang out
>>
How's the acceptance rate for Working Holiday visas?
>>
>>1187591
>download and install Tokyo subway map
>go to nearest subway
>buy a passmo card at a computer, just hit the English button
>passmo costs $5 + however much fare you put on it. $40 should be plenty, maybe just $20 if you're only going to the airport to Aki and back>go wherever you want, sounds like Akihabara
Akihabara has some nice cat cafes. Lots of restaurants in Tokyo are expensive, but Ichiran is a chain restaurant found next to a lot of train stations at the most touristy parts, like Harajuku and Asakusa. They really just serve tonkatsu, but it's cheap and fast. There may be one in Akihabara. Blow your money on creepy anime bullshit. Gashapon make for cheap souvineers.
>>
>>1187577
No you can also buy normal tickets
>>
>>1187591
Narita isn't really in Tokyo, it's ~100km or so, so keep that in mind. Use Hyperdia.com, it'll spit out the route.
If you want to see Akiba, your best bet location-wise would be to hang around the Imperial palace, Ueno and Asakusa. But that doesn't really matter much since you can get to pretty much any tourist attraction within max 30 minutes.
>>
What's a good club in Roppongi?
They all sound shitty.
I just want to dance with Japanese girls tonight, was looking on Yelp and I'm thinking Sound Museum Vision looks cool.
>>
Finally made it to Tokyo, and I'm now sitting in the bus on the way to my apartment in Shibuya.

I've been waiting for this for so long that it doesn't even feel real.
>>
>>1187606
Fucking tell me about it.

I've been working literally every day for 2 months to save enough money for applying for the Working Holiday visa. Finally had enough yesterday, and applied for the visa.

It's fucking unreal. I'll be spending a whole year in Japan.
>>
File: redbean-taiyaki.jpg (35KB, 470x290px) Image search: [Google]
redbean-taiyaki.jpg
35KB, 470x290px
let's talk taiyaki

i'm a fan of red bean and would love to try some. are they sold like it's no big deal in convenience stores, or are there really famous places known for their fish bread things. tokyo only, that's where i'm staying

alternatively, lemme know any japanese food worth trying out
>>
>>1187612
Depends on the season, but right now, you can find taiyaki in many convenience stores. You can probably find them year round at stalls inside shopping centers, as well.
>>
>>1187613
cool, appreciate the info

any other snacks you'd recommend trying?
>>
so ive got off mid december to mid january
whats there to do in japan?

i mean, something to actually do, not just like some touristy shit of aimlessly walking around taking pictures and being gouged along the way
>>
>>1187632
Smash nip poose ;)
>>
>>1187635
no i mean something to actually do
>>
Is kamakura worth adding as a daytrip?
>>
>>1187632
Komiket
>>
>>1187632
Hike, go eat.

Feel nature.
>>
So I'm in Japan, and all the powerplugs have two metal things. I bought an adapter to convert the Australian to Japanese, but the adapter only has the two metal things. So while all my other devices can be charged, my laptop cannot.

How do I fix this? I need an adapter that has three metal thing slots that converts to two Japanese metal things.

I have a US one, but I'm not pulling out the grounding metal thing.
>>
>>1187600
Thank you anon, should be enough time for one cat cafe, then turn around and come back

Subway map where? App?
>>
>>1187650
yes
>>
>>1187661
Just pull out the grounding pin and buy another power cord for $5 when you get back.
>>
File: toco.jpg (117KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
toco.jpg
117KB, 800x534px
[previously posted in last thread before new one started]
Anybody here ever stay at the Toco hostel?
https://backpackersjapan.co.jp/toco/english.html
If so can you recommend/advise against?
>>
Google has given me nothing So I guess I'll ask here.

So I'll be doing home-stay with a really nice family. And they're excited to see me and everything but I'm actually banging their daughter. Any tips on not getting thrown out? I know it's stupid that I'm doing this but it was a great opportunity to save some money. I know that acting anything more than friends is a no-go. But parents usually have some psychic ability when it comes to these things.
>>
>>1187685
Just some other stuff I did:

I was sure to by my family omiyage as well:
I gave the father American flag socks.
I gave the mother a scarf that I bought from my school's store.
I gave the younger brother a Nirvana shirt.
I also passed the N2.
How is this shaping up brehs?
>>
>>1187680
looks like it's in a decent area but I haven't stayed there
>>1187685
>>1187687
Option a) don't bang her
Option b) bang her but make sure they don't find out

That's around it. Like, I really don't understand the point of your post otherwise
>>
>>1187688
Advice on option b please.

Also do you think they wouldn't care if they knew?
>>
>>1187691
get a love hotel, that's what most couples do

As for the second question, you ought to know them better than a random anon on 4chan, so you should be able to figure that out
>>
Anyone else here been to Genki Sushi? I found the sushi itself to be okay, not bad for the price. I've yet to be blown away by any Sushi I've had here yet, though. Tried a place in Tsukiji and wasn't too wowed either. Any suggestions in Kansai region/Tokyo? Been having a hard time finding good, fatty white tuna too.
>>
>>1187468
I think you should stop assuming the Japanese are spineless chumps. It's utterly disrespectful to them and you look like an autistic retard SJW.
As a face culture, they have mastered ways to tactfully reject or avoid you if they're actually bothered.
>>
>>1187708
Ways that are mainly understood by Japanese people or Westerners who are conscious enough of politeness and manners to not randomly start bothering someone in a bar in their own home country (across an embarrassing language barrier, no less).
The Japanese aren't spineless, that's true. The Japanese have plenty of ways to politely reject you.
What makes it sticky is that most foreigners won't understand those ways, and will get loud or at least loudly questioning if they're faced with someone trying to avoid them but not being able to say it clearly. This is an embarrassment that's the individual's responsibility to clean up - and now you've saddled them with the responsibility of calming you down or keeping you occupied.
The Japanese really don't have much freedom in how they treat foreigners. The core of it is the face culture, which establishes that the foreigner is the guest and the Japanese person is the host - and this isn't a cultural trait from the postmodern era, but one from an era in which you'd get Tsushima'd if you tried to enter uninvited. It doesn't work in a world where the US and the rest of the First World have started treating tourism as a God-given right.
Then there's the zainichi Korean media lobby, recently proven firmly by a certain Ms. Choi, who was funneling Korean government money given as "presents" into left-wing media painting even remotely nationalistic or non-Japan-hating Japanese people as murderous racists.
There's the New York Times, which is not only a major media outlet trusted by those Americans who don't distrust the Japanese in the first place, but also an outlet for vile anti-Japanese propaganda and biased, shoddy revisionist journalism.
Then there's the Japan Times, which is about the same. Then there's the historical revisionists in the DP. Then there's the Korean sponsorship lobby in the form of Softbank and Lotte.
In a face society, would you want all this to come down on you?
>>
Some creepy looking old guy approached me today in a side street in Shibuya and asked if I was interested in "adulto entertainment". Anyone know what that was all about?
>>
>>1187612
probably the biggest surprise was the curries. hardly high brow eating but go go curry(the one with the gorilla) is great comfort/fast food, the sauce is fantastic and you can get huge meals for cheap if you want. the curry is uniquely japanese as well, nothing like european or indian.
>>
>>1187708
don't respond to the insane autist and he'll go back to the redneck thread
>>
>>1187720
you probably almost got laid
>>
>>1186587
>like my my man Danny McB here
daiso might have something like it
>>
>>1187716
Aside from the crazy autistic conspiracy shit, you're making a lot of really dumb, condescending and racist assumptions here...

A Japanese person sitting down next to a foreigner is unlikely to be bothered by foreigners, so they are not likely to be bothered much by conversation, either. For all we know that's what they wanted, or at the least they may derive satisfaction from being a good host.
And the foreigner in question is able to make conversation and is frequenting some noodle joint, so obviously they've done some homework on the culture and language. It's unlikely they'll behave like the stereotypical wrecking balls out of some family vacation comedy you seem to think they are, and they can most likely take a hint without causing a scene.
>>
>>1187680
I've had a friend stay there, he really recommended it. I have myself only stayed at a affiliate hostel Nui. It's got a bit of indie/hipster style and the facilities were nice.
Toco has got a more Japanese style to it which I've wanted to test, but they were fully booked the last two times I went.
>>
I just arrived for training in Sapporo but I got 3 days ahead of me before it actually starts. Anyone got good plans on what to do in this city? I'm about to go buy a laptop/try to get a cellphone but otherwise I'm not sure how to spend my time.
>>
>>1187720
Could have either been one of those small jap places where they only have a couple girls, or one of those ripoff Chinese massage places where they upcharge you like fucking crazy one you're in the room
>>
>>1187735
Try and open a bank account? I'm assuming you have a multi year visa so they'll probably let you do it
>>
Black guy who wants to goto Japan, is it worth living there? I wanna get away for awhile. Also can you tell me tge best places to love in your opinion? I have 22Gs saved up from odd jobs and casino wins so money doesn't matter.
>>
>>1187747
>is it worth living there?

good luck without a contractor bringing you over or JET.
>>
>>1187720
Oh shit same here man, I was one guy and two different girls asking if I wanted a blowjob in Shibuya. I didn't even realize until I left the alley that there were billboards of half-naked girls on it. The alley was so crowded I thought it was a normal place.
>>
>>1187671
But that's dangerous anon. That's why I don't want to do it.
>>
>>1187756
Go to an electronics store and just buy a Japanese power cable for your laptop.
>>
>>1187755
Where in Shibuya? I wanna look for it next time I'm there
>>
>>1187756
It's not dangerous. An adapter would do the exact same thing.
>>
>>1186716
this blog has me in stitches
>>
>>1187760
It's an alley next to Don Quijote. I was trying to look for a 711 when I found it. So it'll be close to that to. I think once you see the billboards it'll be hard to miss.
>>
>>1187759
Do you know of any electronic stores that'd sell it in Shibuya?
>>
Oh also, I'm at Shibuya crossing right now, does anyone know where I can get a nice breakfast?
>>
>>1186716
>>1186576
Wagyu is great, incomparable to western style beef. it's not nip ninjutsu magic, it's the fact that the cows grow slower and are older which gives them time to build up marbling. The difference between kobe and other kinds of wagyu isn't significant though, the big difference is between wagyu and normal beef
>>
>>1187772
Akihabara has them cheap in the electric market if you're going there anyway.
>>
>>1187776
Thanks. I'll have to head there today or tomorrow then, been meaning to visit it soon.
>>
>>1187468
>The foreigner is the guest and everyone in Japan is the host.
holy shit this is funny
>>
>>1187778
It's comedy gold, someone should compile them and use them for copypasta.

>>1187777
If you're going to explore the area it can be worth to not buy them right away. I looked around for a bit and found adapters for like 200 yen instead of 500 which I paid right by the subawy.
>>
>>1187632
american anon here with time off in january/february as well and the opportunity to go to japan. i'm sick of doing the same old tourist stay at a hostel thing. i want to maybe apply for an internship somewhere because i don't want to teach english. really into music. any ideas?
>>
>>1187781
wwoof maybe? unless you can play at venues
>>
How do I get a pasmo card?

I'm at Shibuya station and there's this line of machines that I assume you get them from. But it's all in Japanese.
>>
>>1187789
i got mine at a stand in the airport. not sure you can get them from machines
>>
>>1187751
I do have a friend that owns a restaurant over there does that count? I also have my bachelor's in culinary arts.
>>
>>1187790
Well shit. I can't even get a normal ticket because nothing has any English text on it.
>>
>>1187789
>>1187793
Okay never mind I got it. There was an international button on the machine that changed the text to English.

One more question though, can the pasmo be used in Osaka/Kyoto or can it only be used in Tokyo?
>>
File: 7969219[1].jpg (71KB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
7969219[1].jpg
71KB, 427x240px
>>1187626
Anything you can find in the refrigerated sweets section of a convenience store is usually worth trying - daifuku, dango, warabimochi, etc. Just keep your eye out around town, especially for food stalls - those usually produce some great finds.
>>
>>1187661
Are you staying at a hotel? If you ask at the desk, they might lend you one.
Also, check in electronics stores for converters.
>>
>>1187794
You are already there, ask someone.
>>
Where's all the anime and game shit? I'm in what is Akihabara according to google maps and all I see are grey buildings.
>>
>>1187834
Find your way to the area around Akihabara station
>>
>>1187834
>>1187794
>>1187789
>>1187793
Turn off your phone, nobody can be this inept at travel.
>>
>>1187835
Fuck, now I've got to walk all the way back. I must have gotten off on the wrong side. Thanks though.
>>
>>1187836
Japanese is hard my nigga. It takes a couple tries to get things right.
>>
>>1187837
>>1187838
>sign that says Akihabara electric town exit at the station
>exit out the wrong side
>>
>>1187841
I must have missed it
>>
>>1187842
It's ok anon shit happens. I just think it's funny.
>>
People are telling me that I can get Australian 3-pin to Japanese 2-pin plug from an electronics store but I seriously cannot find them. I looked in stores in Akihabara and in Bic Camera stores. I can't even find 2-pin Australian to 2-pin Japanese, even though I don't need that.

Where else can I look?

I don't want to remove the grounding pin, because I don't want to risk fucking anything up.
>>
>>1187779
>It's comedy gold, someone should compile them and use them for copypasta.
I already have been doing that senpai.

Can dump if someone wants it.
>>
>>1187855
The US 3 prong is the exact same thing as the Japanese 2 prong except with the circular grounding plug beneath it. Just pull it out of the adapter, like other anons have said buying a different adapter would do the exact same thing. I'm assuming you won't be using the australian to US adapter anytime soon
>>
>>1187855
Australian plugs are identical to Chinese I believe
>>
>>1187735
Eat kaisen-don, also get some lamb yakiniku
>>
>>1187747
It is possible. I knew of a guy that did something similar to that. Saved 19k and lived in Japan for 9 months illegally. Every 3 months he would go to Korea for a weekend to get his tourist visa renewed. It maybe hard to find a place to stay in the beginning, and getting a cell phone or bank account will be basically impossible buy once you get settled you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Also a lot of smaller private English schools pay in cash so you can probably make money like that.
>>
>>1187886
>illegally
>got visa renewed as needed
Uh
>>
>going to live in Japan for a year
>try to get info in this thread about small questions
>no help at all
>go to the Japanese thread on /int/
>google translate my questions
>the Japanese there are more than willing to help me with my questions

tl;dr you guys are useless for anything but info on railways and how to get Japanese hookers.
>>
>>1187891
because we're tourists you stupid fuck

go on gaijinpot or something if you want questions about living in japan
>>
>>1187855
From what I've researched while I was there,they only sell 2 prong to 2 prong. Either you're gonna have to cut that 3rd one off or just buy another cable while you're there. Unless you can find some obscure electronic parts store they could have some universal adaptor by luck.
>>
>>1187726
A Japanese person sitting next to a foreigner in a gapingly empty bar is likely to want to make conversation, yes - since they have the choice to not do it.
If there's just one more person in the bar, though, that collapses. That's where people start feeling obliged to sit down next to the foreigner and invite the splatter of spaghetti and regurgitated media kimchi on themselves as the foreigner uses their hamhanded Japanese to force themselves on someone who just didn't want to be leered at by a whole izakaya because they avoided the gaijin smasher, the mouth-breathing weeb or the loud-voiced, flabby American meshback dad.
I really have to wonder if you've ever been in Japan, because it sure as hell doesn't seem so. The foreigners who enter local restaurants and call out to random Japanese people to sperg all over them because this is their Nippon Animeland and social norms don't apply to them if they don't know them are not likely to be good at Japanese or understanding of Japanese manners.
One who was would sit down and wait for, you know, the host's choice, and would also either be cooking at home or eating with friends instead of going to a restaurant alone just like the Japanese do (in case you couldn't understand it, that's sarcasm - if you don't want to be seen as an ignorant freak, at least try to pick up on how people live and act).
Western tourists in Japan are composed of the wrecking balls and the ones you never notice. If you even doubt this for a moment, you have never been in Japan. If they're not gaijin smashers, shrieking weebs, selfie-stick-waving backpackers or red-faced, shouting American families, they know how to not stand out, and part of that is not accosting random Japanese people at bars.
If the Japanese really want to talk to you, they're going to. As you said yourself, the Japanese aren't spineless and can talk to you yourself. Protecting your own excuses for gaijin smashing doesn't match with what you said earlier.
>>
>>1187888
90 day tourist visa
>>
Is it just me, or do Japanese people tend to be talkative towards foreigners?

One example is when I was sitting at a McDonalds yesterday and this homeless guy comes up to me and starts talking. I try to explain that I don't speak Japanese. so he uses hand gestures to to explain that he's hungry and that it's cold outside. All I can do is smile and nod.

Then he offers me napkins and shows me his Gucci pouch. I felt kinda bad for him so I gave him my fries.

And just before that I was wondering why there was a guy in uniform guarding a door that said that access to the upstairs seating area is only for people with McDonalds food. I can see why now.
>>
>>1187886
Well it's not illegal to live in a country and do visa hops, but it's a problem if he does work without working visa.

>>1187921
Beggars are same in any country.
>>
>>1187921
Most of the time its because they want something from you. Usually English practice, in the case of homeless guy it was because Japanese people never give anything to the homeless. It could actually be a great system (You almost never see Japanese homeless in crowded spaces, they tend to stick to their homeless villages in parks)
But they also are completely fucked over by the government as well and basically receive no assistance getting out of it once they become homeless.
>>
>>1187910
Yeah, there's still nothing wrong with leaving for three days and then renewing your visa. If it were illegal they wouldn't renew it
>>
>>1187905
The autism continues
>>
How easy is it for a white guy to get laid in Japan?
Does being blonde make it easier.
>>
>>1187905
how do i politely invite myself into a japanese household?
>>
>>1187957
nice try, dracula
>>
>>1187957
You don't "invite yourself". That's an oxymoron no matter where you are.
You are invited by another person, and that's how it is. Anywhere in the world, anywhere you go, the only valid invitation is the one you receive from the person with the right to invite you (to their house, to their hometown, to drinking together with them, whatever) without using coercion, pressure, threats or really anything else.
Considering Japan is a face culture, it becomes very difficult to refuse or even take distance from a foreigner if they take the contact themselves (at least if there are any other people there - feel free to call out to Japanese people on lonely back roads, as you can't embarrass them badly and they can deck you if they feel like it).
You get invited to more or less everything in Japan by not being a pushy, disrespectful rape-and-pillage tourist who thinks it's their right to be fanned with palm leaves and have coconut wine poured into their mouths by the primitive natives (which describes the overwhelming majority of tourists who follow the Lonely Planet Kimchi Bible and go to Japan completely misinformed and with a skewed, caricatured picture of the country's culture and past).
You go places on your own - stores, restaurants, shrines, whatever. Go there, see or buy what you want and go to the next place. Don't squawk at random passersby for attention and sex. Don't get mad because things aren't like at home. Just shut up, enjoy that you were let in and leave the Japanese people's reaction to themselves instead of forcing them to deal with your weeb ass personally.
And if you're really that wonderfully interesting because you're white, if the Japanese are really that unquestioningly servile and open as the other shitter implies, then you'll get talked to.
Japanese people are interested in foreigners - just not every single last one. If you appear to be quiet, polite and civilized, you'll likely get talked to.
>>
>>1187965
i asked you that question to see if you were lying which you were, when i went ot hokkaido i spoke to some old lady on the stret and she invited me to stay with her family when i followed her into her house, her family were very interested to hear about Lubbock in Texas where im from
>>
>>1187967
and i got free accommodation for 8 days!
>>
>>1187965
Do us all a favor and stop posting autismo-kun
>>
>>1187955
f you're willing to lie, cheat and exploit your foreign status among sex-starved OLs, obsessively left-wing Westaboos and meth-addicted B-girls, yes.
The problem is that the reason that people score more in other countries is that they're not bound by the opinions and backlash of their home culture, and thus feel free to lie like a waterfall and not mind people's emotions in the least.
Of course you'll get laid easier that way, but as a travel board, it's the responsibility of the /trv/ natives to make sure that yet another gaijin smasher doesn't exploit the possible foreign appeal (which is more or less entirely due to scars in the national spirit left by WWII, resulting in a national self-esteem complex which is only just healing) to exploit Japanese women for a quick lay.
You can get laid easier if you want to, but you'll be the equivalent of the guy who brings roofies to a college party back at home. Exploiting people is the same in any country, and it's not the duty of a travel board to advise people on how to hurt a country's culture and people.
There must be some grotty *chan with a /pillage/ board somewhere. Go look for that.
Ripping up scars in a nation's psyche that have irrevocably damaged a whole generation (the one you're fucking women from) and severely handicapped the freedom that people have to tell foreigners off in order to fuck women is the same as forcibly having your way with them on a moral level.
>>
>>1186444
i mentioned i visited yasukuni shrine to some salarymen in a bar yesterday and they all freaked out, whats their problem??
>>
>>1187967
The meaning of the words "obligation" and "face culture" - not to mention "generation gap" and "rare case" - seem to escape you.
Try pulling that shit with every Japanese person you meet, especially younger men on the street at night. You might get some lucky strikes like the one you got - but half of those are out of obligation, to keep your face in front of other people.
Older people tend to not see as many bad examples of foreign tourists, be more interested in other countries and be more hung up on ideas of responsibility and hospitality. If you go out on the country - and Hokkaido is the country - it becomes even more likely.
You might strike gold once in a while. There are always rare cases. However, for every single one of those once-in-a-lifetime stories you talk about, there are hundreds or even thousands of times where you'll saddle someone with a responsibility that they didn't want to take, cutting into their already busy lives and placing the burden for any mistake on them.
You also really sound like you're from Texas, and in fact from the story you give, I'm almost completely sure there was a lot of bother and trouble behind the scenes (for example that the family felt obliged to bother with you for eight days and you didn't deny it, pay them back or offer to help around the house).
Look, I seriously want you to go out and test that Mighty Whitey philosophy on random people all over Japan and see how long it takes before you're spitting teeth. No country's native culture appreciates or glorifies people from the outside trying to exploit them and cheat them out of free services without fulfilling the fundamental criteria for living in that country in the first place. You were catered to because of face culture, and as a Murkan, you can't understand the idea of a "non-Murkan culture".
If you took out the face culture, you'd get a fist in the face because you can't get a clue.
>>
>>1187977
Are you actually Japanese? Or just a self-hating white dude?
>>
>>1187977
>as a Murkan, you can't understand the idea of a "non-Murkan culture".
face it if american culture werent superior we wouldnt be colonising the world's minds, the only region that rejects american culture is the backwards as fuck middle east
>>
>>1187950
The illegal part isn't so much the visa, but having the intent of working and living there full time.
>>
>>1187977
I completely agree with you. I don't understand how guests of a country can actually be so self unaware and downright rude.

I'm going to Japan this coming year, are you going anytime soon?
>>
>>1186444
Are there unis in Japan where I can take english language engineering courses as a visiting/exchange student?
Only one I've found is Kyushu University but they don't accept exchange, only 4 year degree seekers
>>
File: 200_s.gif (58KB, 333x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
58KB, 333x200px
>mfw all this autism on Japan threads recently
>>
>>1188028
It's only one guy, just ignore those kinda posts.
>>
Why is the fruit here so good, brehs?
>>
>>1188051
what are the best fruits to eat in japan? gonna be traveling to various parts in late March.

I noticed the fruit was pretty good in taiwan too, tons of brightly lit fruit stalls at the night markets.
>>
>>1188064
I'm just going off the handful of convenience store apples and persimmons I've had so far, I really don't think you can go wrong with whatever sparks your fancy.
>>
>>1186444

damn those cheeky gtrs
you can almost smell that when the light turns green they will put the pedal to the medal and accelerate insanely fast to 40 km/h and keep on driving at that speed while in the city
just imagine what will happen if these beasts hit the highway - they might go as fast as 100 km/h, which is a fucking 20 over the speed limit the absolute madmans
holy crap
>>
>>1188064
For me personally, strawberries, citrus fruits, grapes. Melons are not that amazing unless you spend some serious coin.
>>
Could someone explain the train system real quick?

I see that there's two option, the JR line and the Ginza, Fukutoshin, etc. line.

Now, I have a PASMO card, so I can get on the normal train lines. Do I need a JR Pass to use the JR lines for small trips, like say from Shibuya station to Shinjuku station?
>>
>>1188064
According to foodslink, the in-season fruits of March and April include the following:

>strawberries
>kiwi
>apples
>various citrus fruits
>melon
>biwa
>pineapple

Really, though, it'd be a neat idea just to stop in a grocery store and pick up whatever looks interesting.
>>
>>1188113
If you have a JR Pass you should be able to use it for any trip length so long as it is on JR.

So yes, you can use it on JR but if you'd rather use the Pasmo then you can use that too. But if you already paid for the JR pass, use that. Or do whatever you want.
>>
>>1188133
Thanks. I've got a JR pass but I've set the start date to be a week from now, as I don't need to travel anywhere outside the Tokyo area for the moment.
>>
>>1188095
LOL, so true. GTRs are amazing cars, and speed limits in Japan are amazingly retarded.
>>
>>1188145
>setting limits on driving speeds for the safety of drivers and pedestrians is retarded!!

Nice one.
>>
>>1188151
LOL, nope. Speed limits in Japan have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with giving Japanese cops an easy way get $$$$ by handing out tickets. There's no other explanation for an 80km/hour limit on a modern 3-lane highway.
>>
>>1188156
Didn't you watch Tokyo Drift? If your car can go faster than 250km/h then the cops won't even bother to chase after you because they can't keep up.
>>
I need to get to Nishidai, Itabashi from Narita airport, how do I accomplish this in the quickest way possible?
>>
For anyone that's traveled in Japan with a chipped card. Do most ATM's (at least the ones in like 7-11's) accept them? I know I've heard if you're looking to draw out money you probably want to go to a post office or a 7-11, but with that in mind I just want to make sure there won't be any hassle with a chipped card.
>>
>>1187987
>f american culture werent superior we wouldnt be colonising the world's minds,
Damn your so ignorant I'm surprised you found yourself on this board.

I think this would be more your speed
>>>/int/

>>1188000
Sasuga autismo-chan, nice samefagging.
>>
>>1188178
>Damn your so ignorant
>your so ignorant
>your ignorant
>your
The pot calling the kettle black.
>>
Anyone got any nice documentaries about japanese cities and/or nature. I wanna get the feel for the regions.
>>
>>1188179
>One of the most common English mistakes
>All it takes to make me just as bad
Fuck off with your false dichotomy. The post I quoted didn't use capitalization or punctuation.
>>
>>1186444
Can I ask about the 7 days pass of shinkansen train if you chose a certain line (hiroshima-yamaguchi) can you use it to other lines like (kansai-hokurika) area? Or should I buy another pass?
>>
>>1188178
As a side note, the person you're calling out for being ignorant is a false flag. Americans don't use the British spelling for "colonise."
>>
>>1187468
We should name this guy since he shows up in every thread with this same song and dance.
>>
>>1188182
The JR Pass can only be used on lines that are labeled JR. However if you want to use the regular subway lines you'll have to buy a Suica/Pasmo card. Those two cards can also be used to travel on JR lines, but only in the city. You won't be able to use them to get from say Tokyo to Osaka.
>>
>>1188188
>song and dance
Domo arigato, Mr. Autismo?
>>
How do you pronounce "Kore onegaishimasu"?

Is it Kor-eh oh-ne-gaishimasu, or something else?
>>
>>1188214
the masu is sort of like -mas in thomas
>>
New thread >>1188212
>>
>>1188214
>kor-eh oh-ne-guy-she-mahs
>>
>>1188216
>>1188220
Thanks.
>>
>>1188199
Thanks
>>
>>1188181
>>All it takes to make me just as bad
yse, it does
>>
>>1188159
>quickest way possible
A helicopter.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 455x396px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 455x396px
>>1187962
That was actually pretty funny
Good job sir
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.