[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 35

File: IMG_1528.jpg (451KB, 1920x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1528.jpg
451KB, 1920x1278px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1186444
>>
File: Newyear3-740x463.jpg (106KB, 740x463px) Image search: [Google]
Newyear3-740x463.jpg
106KB, 740x463px
This shot was taken somewhere in Tokyo. Anyone have any idea where, exactly?
>>
>>1188218
You sure it's not Miyajima?
>>
>>1188212
Does anyone know where to get Kamado parts? It's a large egg shaped smoker grill thing. Mine are green and I'm looking for another top or any other accessories that will fit really. Google photo related, it's too dark to take pictures of mine which are older but probably the same.
>>
File: spot_img_06_l[1].jpg (198KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
spot_img_06_l[1].jpg
198KB, 640x480px
>>1188224
The only place I can think of off the top of my head is the Kappa-bashi area of Tokyo. They sell tons of kitchen and culinary supplies.
>>
When can I buy real Katanas from?

I've been to the Samurai museum, and had a look at the swords they had their, which where nice. But if the real ones aren't stupidly expensive then I'd like to get one.
>>
>>1188212
Going to Fukuoka next year. Any must see or do??
>>
>>1188051
>Why is the fruit here so good, brehs?
Why is the milk there so good compared to american milk? Fresh hakodate milk, so fucking delicious
>>
I want to stay at a Ryokan for a night but I dont know where and how to book one when I'm in japan next week. I dont even now where's a good spot seeing as how there's thousands of Ryokans.

Any recommendations that has a hotspring?
>>
>>1188238
http://fukuzumi-ro.com/eng/about/about.html
>>
File: 2080_05.jpg (106KB, 650x385px) Image search: [Google]
2080_05.jpg
106KB, 650x385px
Will post at least once every thread until I find someone who can share any experiences.

Has anyone gone to see any sumo wrestling tournaments or practices? Any tips?

I've read a few articles but I would like some input from someone here who has witnessed any sumo wrestling.
Thanks in advance
>>
>>1188237
>Why is the milk there so good compared to american milk?
Because it has a higher fat content. How's Hokkaido treating you so far?
>>
>>1188247
Oh, I'm not Hokkaido anon. Just been to Sapporo before through Hakodate and the milk up there is delicious
>>
>>1188246
I got tickets for Day 13 of the 15-day tournament last summer in Nagoya via this site:
http://www.japanballtickets.com/

There are six tournaments a year. Wasn't too tough to get tickets if you plan ahead of time. Did what the site recommended and sat in the upper ring (actual seats with backs, rather than sitting on mats).

It was fun, lots of pomp and circumstance. The sumos enter the arena on a red carpet.

You can watch the lower level matches starting in the morning, but most people started showing up between 2-3pm and the final match ends around 6pm.
>>
>>1188218
Not Tokyo, it's this at low tide:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itsukushima_Shrine
>>
>>1188248
LOL, sorry. I saw "Hakodate" and assumed you were the anon who moved there recently. It's a bit of an unusual destination for /trv/.
>>
File: IMAG3305.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3305.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
There is now a /trv/Japan LINE group!
If you would like to join, email your LINE ID to:
trv4chan@gmail dot com
>>
>>1188226
Look for Hatori Hanzo
>>
Okay guys so golden week will be happening during my 2 month trip. What's a decent plan for that period? Put up with the hassle of travel/accommodation and see golden week festivals/events or take my tent somewhere remote and wild camp for a week?
Will shops and supermarkets be open in rural locations?
>>
>>1188212
Is there job opportunities for languages other than english, like Italian? I'm thinking of moving to japan after graduating, and I'm curious.
>>
Going to Kobe today, any recommendations on places to go? I would of course like to try out the beef, but would rather not play tourist inflated prices. Where and what would you guys recommend for a day in Kobe? Thanks.
>>
>>1188388

I`ve seen ads for languages other than English but they`re sporadic. So make sure to check everyday on the usual sites like ohaiyosensei and gaijinpot.

Also /r/movingtojapan and the associated /r/japanlife are cancer, I`d advise against posting there.
>>
>>1188247
>>1188258

Hakodate anon here. Still in Sapporo for training, but so far it's pretty fantastic. Sapporo reminds me of my native Chicago both in weather and size of the city. The underground shopping area and the connection to the arcade and the JR tower is incredible though; it's like a massive shopping labyrinth. I legit spent 8 hours just looking around before picking up a refurbished laptop from a reuse shop.
>>
>>1188519
Sapporo is a great place, especially during winter. You're lucky since you'll be close when they have the snow festival in a few months
>>
>>1188522
Am I able to access the island with a JR Pass, or do I have to buy a ticket for a ferry or something?
>>
Is studying in Japan (Uni) a good idea? Can I get the anime experience? I would live in some bumfuck cheap area and have a fishing job.
>>
>>1188524
Access Hokkaido from honshu? There's an underground tunnel the shinkansen passes through that connects the two islands, your JR pass covers it. If you're going up there from Tokyo it's a fucking long train ride just FYI
>>
>>1188529
I went to an international school there, it was pretty fun desu. Of course, it's not exactly like your animes.
>>
>>1188533
>it's not exactly like your animes.

bbuut it is a bit...? I spent my teens escaping into slice of life anime. My own hs sucked but I cant help but feel nostalgic for hs thanks to anime.
>>
>>1188241
I'm not 1188238, but that shit looks neat. I booked it for me and my family in June. Thanks man!
>>
>>1188369
Shops and such will still be open. If you do want to stay in the city, get all your tickets and make hotel reservations now.
>>
>>1188535
Yeah, sure. Probably depends on what university you go to though. There are school clubs and festivals and that kind of stuff. Idk exactly what you're looking for but you should probably ensure you're getting a good education too if you want to live anywhere other than in Japan.
>>
>>1188212
will a salary of ~15million yen /year go far in tokyo?
>>
>>1188555
Yes? That's way more than most people make
>>
>>1188555
That's ~$132k USD.

So yeah, you'll be more than fine.
>>
>>1188545
I want to live in a rural remote village that has a local university. I want school festivals and all taht anime banaza. I want uniforms and everyfucking thing.
>>
Hey guys. I'm planning a trip to Japan for two weeks in late March and want to split it like so:

Day 1-7: Tokyo
Day 8-10: Kyoto + trip to Nara
Day 11-12: Kyoto/Osaka
Day 13: Kyoto/back to Tokyo

Is this a good use of two weeks? I also hear Disney Sea is good and wonder if anyone here has any thoughts about it. Thanks.
>>
>>1188579
Kyoto is only a half hour train ride from Osaka. I recommend you pick one of them (whichever has more interest to you, eg. Osaka has more nightlife, Kyoto more temples and shrines) and just book accommodation for all those Kyoto/Osaka nights in one place.
>>
File: mt-koya-jnto-1024x682.jpg (180KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
mt-koya-jnto-1024x682.jpg
180KB, 1024x682px
Has anyone been to Mt. Koya? It's south of Osaka, around Nara. I'll be in Japan late January to February for 3 weeks. 2 weeks in Tokyo and 1 split between Kyoto and Osaka. I'm trying to visit at least one mountain and I'm liking what I see from Koya as opposed to Fuji.

Also, if anyone has been there, can I do it in a day or should I book at least one night at a monk hotel thing?
>>
>>1188629
it takes a while to get out there so i would book a night at a temple. If they offer breakfast and dinner thatd be great. also join in in their morning prayer.
>>
>>1188632
Good to know. Thank you. I'll schedule two days for Koya-san.
>>
File: IMG_1609.png (951KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1609.png
951KB, 750x1334px
Where in Ueno park is this? I looked around but I don't see any pink looking trees. Is it because it's not the right season?
>>
>>1188660
Are you that same person who couldn't find the way to akiba?
>>
>>1188668
Akiba? I have no idea what that is.
>>
>>1188671
Got it, so this thread just attracts all sorts of retards.
>>
>>1188676
Thanks.
>>
Would the Gundam in Odaiba be better to visit during the day or night?
>>
>>1188682

Depends. Do you actually want to see it?
>>
>>1188471
>>1188471
>>1188471
>>1188471
>>1188471

Bumping this Q for interest.
>>
>>1188253
thanks for your input anon. I looked into that tournament for next spring and I won't be able to make that tournament.
Hopefully I find another tournament. Otherwise I'll be on the lookout to watch a practice
>>
>>1188690
Yeah, I really want to see it. I also want to get some good pictures of it.
>>
>>1188693
You could go in the dusk/early evening, try and get that golden hour, check out some of the stuff around it then come back in the evening for night shots. But if you want to be with it in the pictures, or really get to look at it go earlier in the day.
>>
>>1188694
Thanks. I'm currently at Kiyosumi gardens and it's about a 40 minute train and bus ride to Odaiba. I'll probably just wake up early tomorrow and take a train from Shibuya as it'll be quicker to get there.
>>
>>1188694
>>1188695
Oh wait shit. I totally mistook dusk/early evening for dawn/early morning.

Should I head there now, since it's almost dusk?
>>
>sit on relatively empty train returning home
>look around
>qt3.14 looking straight at my eyes
>stare back
>after an awkwardly long stare showdown where im too tired (/autistic) to do a proper smile she looks down with a sort of disappointed expression
>get off train
>check phone to see 20 yo cute girl on Tinder, look at all her photos
>its her
>out of daily likes

wew lad, at least I was man enough to last the several second long stare
>>
>>1188660
It's a national holiday in Japan. On the 3rd of February, Japanese families come together and paint the leaves themselves.
>>
hey /trv/, just got back from my first night in tokyo, it was fun.

if you don't care, here's a blogpost warning.

>trains trains trains
>prayed at sensoji temple
>ate pretty good tempura don for 5 bucks
>saw about as much of akihabara as one can manage in a single sitting
>gundam cafe was pretty disappointing
>HENTAI HENTAI HENTAI they're so open about it, it's neat
>climbed 8 floors of mandarake and bought some bullshit at the top
>was surprised at how many girls were in this sex toy shop with their boyfriends. they weren't pointing and laughing but seemed pretty interested, even a mom in one group
>picked up a tenga thing because why not
>stairs stairs stairs
>took a shit in a smart toilet
>and now i'm just chilling on a tatami floor about to go into the jacuuzi for a bit

wonder what i should do tomorrow
>>
Ended up eating at
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298562-d8870964-Reviews-Kobegyu_Koju-Kobe_Hyogo_Prefecture_Kinki.html
And feeling as though it was a real waste of $200. Premium beef on a stick in Akihabara was leagues better. What a waste.
>>
>>1188757
Figure shopping is one of my favorite parts of Japan.
>>
>>1188766
Yeah ofc kobe is luxury food like fugu, caviar, champange etc. and never worth it. Was about to warn you but you were already in Kobe. The power gap is between beef and wagyu, not wagyu and kobe.
>>
any of you nerds actually live there? are work hours 80 hours a week like alot of people are saying? is it like that EVERYWERE?
>>
Will be staying in Tokyo for a couple of weeks but would like to visit a good rotenburo in a snowy regions, if possible without going all the way to Sapporo. Any recommendations?
>>
>>1188771
Are you retarded?
>>
I am going to be visiting Osaka for a tattooing session- really like the person in question's work. My only problem is that I'll probably be going alone. I'm big into photography/urbex/rooftopping. Is there anywhere such as a social network I can go on to connect with people prior to visiting?
>>
>>1188771
Yes it is. Don't come to Japan.
>>
>>1188812
When are you going?
>>
I'm looking for a used book store that would have an English language section. Any ideas?
>>
>>1188827
If you want English books, how about you stay in an English-speaking country?
If you go to another country, no matter if it's France, West Timor or Japan, you have chosen to invite yourself to another culture for better or worse. You wanted to go to the country enough that you paid money for it - now actually face what country it is and enjoy it as it is.
Don't demand the country, the culture or the people to cater to you or even recognize your existence, or to be "my country but more exotic".
We live in a society in which no country has any choice on whether or not to let in tourists without being branded as an isolationist dictatorship - no economical concerns, cultural worries or native votes are enough to stop the slavering hordes of Murkan and European tourists from flooding other countries with what they think the country should be about (of course neglecting to consult the people who actually live there, work there and pay their taxes).
The least you can do is to admit that the country isn't going to bend itself out of shape for you, and in fact, if it does, it defeats any reasonable excuse for going there because you're no longer there to experience another culture, you're there to make those people bow and scrape to Mighty Whitey.
If you spoke fluent Japanese, were a Japanese citizen, had a well-paying job, paid your taxes, hadn't committed any crimes and didn't offend, discomfort or otherwise distress anyone who'd actually been contributing all their life, you would maybe have the right to ask for an English-language bookstore. You don't, so you don't.
It fucking baffles me why people seem to draw more joy from trampling all over a culture and its people than actually experiencing them. As the tourist, you should be the one shying away from things you understand from your home, and try the best you can to exist in the country as naturally as a native - it's of course not going to succeed, but it's the best you can do after smashing your way in.
>>
>>1188816

February/ March is when the appointment is
>>
>>1188660
>>
>>1188832
8/10
>>
>>1188827
jisho.org
英書 english literature
古本 used book
-> google.com
good luck!

Or just go to any large secondhand bookstore and try to ask. Worst case, the clerks will shun you because they don't speak proper English.
>>
>>1188660
>>
>>1188832
Shut the fuck up you faggot. English is the most important and widely used language today. They can either have an english language or gtfo off the planet. They are lucky they haven't been nuked again.
>>
>>1188832
Is it possible to ban this guy? He's a nuisance.
>>
>>1188832
Agreed
These neckbeards wanting to go to Japan and forget that there's no subtitles

Learn Japanese you fucking weebs

>>1188852
>>1188849
Btfo
>>
>>1188827
>>1188832
>samefag feeding himself.
>>
>>1188833
Why would you go to japan for a tattoo that had such a long waiting list as well? Not trying to shit just genuinely curious.
>from LA so there is no shortage of talented artist doing Japanese style tattoos
>>
>>1188855
B-but senpai.. Japanese is haaard
>>
>>1188845
Thanks, the book I'm looking for is an English language book about japanese railways written and published in Japan. It's rather expensive on eBay/Amazon and all of those listings ship from Japan anyways so I might as well look for it while I'm here.
>>
>>1188858
You forgot this one.
>>1188855
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 686x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 686x540px
>>1188866
Thanks. Nice trip dubs BTW
>>
>>1188863
Could you give me the title of that book?
I actually know a few railway fans with an interest in Japanese trains. I'm meeting them tomorrow around this time so I could ask if they have any idea where to look.
>>
>>1188872
https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Railway-Technology-Today/dp/4330672014
>>
Is a day trip to Ise from Osaka worth it?
>>
File: klm.png (476KB, 602x401px) Image search: [Google]
klm.png
476KB, 602x401px
Hey guys, might be losing my companion on my upcoming trip, so possibly going solo. Flying into Narita. Flights already booked, hotel has free cancellation.
Last time I stayed in Shinagawa, had great transport links due to Yamanote line, but after hours we had to get a taxi, which got pretty expensive (5,500 yen). Ended most nights in Shibuya or Shinjuku, but hoping to get out Shimokitazawa for some live music this time round.

My flight home is kinda early, so I'd be leaving Tokyo around 7am. I booked the Limousine bus last time as it got me door-to-door, but if I'm going solo and staying elsewhere, it'll be the NEX.

So what I'd like to know is what hotels you guys would recommend that are near the late-night party spots, but easy enough to get back to Narita early doors. Currently booked at 61,000 Yen for 2 people for 4 nights, so maybe talking 40,00 for a single room 4 nights? Like I said, not sure if I'm now travelling solo, but would like to plan a back-up. I've haven't stayed in a hostel in Japan before, but might be game for it to have a more social trip (plus it'd give me more spending money).

>Sorry for the long post, kinda drunk and trying to salvage my trip.
>>
Heading for Osaka today. Any recommendations on food/things to do? Checking out the Aquarium, Doutonbouri.
>>
If I go to one of those maid cafes in Akihabara or anywhere else with cosplayers, is it normal if I ask for a picture with them? I don't suppose it's a paid service is it?
>>
>most of the fuzoku systems require calling them
>don't have a phone

What do you guys do for phones there anyway? My fucking phone doesn't take sim cards, I suppose I should just sign up for a disposable one if they got it there?
>>
>>1188942
It is. You can get a set of lunch, drink, dessert and photo with one of the maids. It's cheaper if you buy in a set rather than buying them separately.
>>
>>1188947
I rented one from softbank specifically for that purpose, although they were super suspicious cause I only wanted voice and that's it
>>
>>1188955

Details? How much was it? This is like, my only lead and I really need one.
>>
>>1188957
I went to their store below tokyo station (which was a bitch to find let me tell you) and asked a rep if they had anyone who spoke english cause fuck doing it in japanese. Asked the guy if they had any phones to rent, gave them my passport and a credit card to put on file and they rented me a phone. I think it ended up being like $20 total to rent plus whatever per minute charge. Might have been less or more, I just remember it not being much.
>>
>>1188962

Sweet, I'll probably do this then, thanks man.
>>
>>1188964
No problem. Good luck finding their place, I don't know if it's because I'm retarded or what but I had a hard time finding it. It's underground.
>>
>>1188890

Osaka is crazy cool ... I spent almost a year in Kyoto 2014 just hanging out and I'd usually shoot down to Osaka once a week. My interests are gardens, museums, art, history - and so I'd focus on any exhibitions I wanted to see, and check out some of the gardens which are not nearly so good as Kyoto's.

At the moment I'm seeding a torrent of my pics - 200 high res images

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5e237571e9271cdd0af79bbaef7bc976be777e90&dn=KYOTO%20%202014-15

Forget learning any Japanese - just sayin konichiwa and they'll be babbling away and you'll never convince them you're not totally fluent. English is very rarely spoken by anyone so ya just have to learn your own way around.

Ask any questions, fags
>>
best hangout places in Osaka start at Namba and have a good look around there. Then maybe walk southeast through to Tennoji (a mile and a half - amazing shopping, electronics, secondhand, food, everything immaginable) - just walk randomly down the tiny streets keeping your goal in mind.
>>
>>1188885
If you want to take the Narita shuttle you have to transfer from Tokyo Station, so probably a hotel near the Yamanote line
>>
>>1188555
hoo god damn you'll be living the high life with that salary, good shit my man
>>
>>1188629
Koya-San for me was a pretty magical experience, especially because I'm really into that Buddhism stuff. Try to go when it snows, it's strangely peaceful when you're all alone in the graveyard when it's snowing.
>>
Has anyone been to the Robot restaurant? Is it worth it?

I feel like 8000 yen for entry is a bit of a steep price.
>>
>>1189037
Its one of those things where if its a serious hit on your budget you don't do it, but if its a toss up you should do it.
>>
>>1189038
I see. Yeah it'll definitely be a serious hit on my daily budget.
>>
I don't get the appeal of a maid cafe.

You go to some place to eat and your servers are dressed as maids.

The fuck is the point of that? If they don't suck your dick while you're sipping on your mountain dew then that's a pretty shitty fantasy/fetish.
>>
>>1189043

Why do people enjoy anything?

People have interests that may be weird to other people, news at 11
>>
>>1189049
Plus 90% of people that go just do it to say they did it. Its not a prostitute and its more socially acceptable than a hostess. Its a kind of fantasy and if you can't actually talk to them its their job to make you fall into it.
>>
>>1188212
I'm curious, can you actually join the Yakuza as a foreigner? I have no wish to do so, but it reminds me that I was researching this years ago and found no conclusive answer.
>>
>>1189054
Of course you can.
>>
>>1188890
Try takoyaki (octopus in a fried ball) while you're in Dontonbori. Shinsaibashi is very close and their winter lights are up now. Head into America Mura is you like alternative fashion and sweets.
>>
>>1188859
Not him but I want to get a waifu tattoo by Diablo art. I mean if you can link me to anyone as good as him please do.
>>
>>1189001
Thanks, heading into japan in 9 days and going to Osaka first.

Gonna keep this in mind
>>
>>1189043
>The fuck is the point of that? If they don't suck your dick while you're sipping on your mountain dew then that's a pretty shitty fantasy/fetish.

But they do have ones where they do suck your dick while you sip on mountain dew.
>>
>>1188757
back with another blogpost, feel free to disregard

>getting the hang of navigating tokyo, pasmo+google maps makes it easy
>imperial palace was chill. didn't see everything but the gardens are beautiful
>took the train to daiba, spent a bunch of time there
>SAW THE BIG GUNDAM, IT WAS REAL BIG, wish i saw it with the lights on though
>the official gundam store was lit, but surprisingly they didn't have the kits i wanted
>watched a cheesy and awesome movie in the G-DOME, big robots punching each other
>had sushi in the diver city mall...it was way more mediocre than i was expecting. i've had sushi in taiwan better than that place
>lastly took a trip to fujiTV, had a surprising amount of fun there
>they had a parappa the rappa 20th anniversary in the dome
>mascots hanging from the ceilings, setups for every game in the series to try
>finally got out of daiba and headed to shibuya to close out the night
>basically just saw hachiko, jerked off in a DVD rental bar, and got mcdonalds

think i can call day 2 a success. it was fun

i missed out on hie shrine, hibiya park, yoyogi park, and meiji jingu. of those, are there any i should make time to see?
>>
>>1189103
oh forgot to say i walked on the beach near rainbow bridge and got a naan hotdog from this old lady, ended up talking to her sons, one of which went to california twice for surfing "SAA FING" he recommended checking out kamakura and enoshima as a day trip and then played cheesy hip hop on his laptop for us

i don't know if this is typical japanese hospitality or not

also it was cold as balls out
>>
>>1188241
I can't find it on their site but do they allow foreigners with tattoos in their hot springs?

I know most places don't but I'm sure I can find somewhere that does.
>>
I fucked up and booked a hotel that's 10 minutes from Yokohama and 30 minutes away from Tokyo. This will be my first time in Japan and the public transport system seems like a clusterfuck. From the looks of things, it'll cost me around $8 return trip to Tokyo each day - are there any cards that are capped per day that will make traveling cheaper?
>>
>>1189107
FRom what I've heard it's usually on a case by case basis. If you are white and have a small tattoo or two, you're probably fine. If you have giant Yakuza style tattoos or even normal full sleeves or more, you might be fucked. A lot of places don't give a shit anymore regardless though, tattoos have become more popular among non gang members than they were when they used to ban them.
>>
File: image.jpg (942KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
942KB, 2048x1536px
>>1189097
Wow, that's really great artwork. Now I wanna get one from him lol. Is he super busy? Where do you live? I've got my guy in LA he specializes in sailor jerry, traditional jap, and black and white portraits. Here's the one he did of miku and luka, it's been about 2 years ago since though, I'll have to take one of it in color later
>>
>>1189123
literally cringed
>>
>>1189123
nice phineas and ferb fanart
>>
>>1189129
Luckily I didn't get it for you.
>>
>>1189123
Obviously you can get a different style just mainly trying to show off some line work
>>
File: Busted_dance_14.jpg (26KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Busted_dance_14.jpg
26KB, 640x360px
>>1189131
>>1189123
thought i attached the image
>>
>>1189103
>jerking off instead of going to get your dick sucked
>>
>>1189103
Did you go to Joypolis? Think that's close to where you were.
>>
>>1189134
Points for originality haven't heard that one yet. Lol
>>
>>1189115
1. Keikyu is cheap with no passes covering Tokyo metro available.
1.1 Buy a Tokyo Wide Pass and take the Tokkaido line to Tokyo or through Shounan-Shinjuku Line west and Ueno-Tokyo Line north. Rely on JR. Can go further (see reach on site). Simpler network. Station access to destination may be a little more inconvenient. Have to change to subway for quite many of attractions.
1.2 Take Keikyu and buy a subway pass. Rely on subway. Unfortunately you will have to exit the station and re-enter a subway station using the pass after hopping off the train (Keikyu-Asakusa Line through service), so do it at Sengakuji (Shinagawa is the end of the actual Keikyu Line)
Needless to say recommend 2. If any doubts consult transit apps.
2. Cancel it.
3. Remake your itinerary and do Yokohama, Yokosuka, Kamakura around you instead.
More details of your stay?
>>
>>1189195
>Take the express train
>Yokohama-Sengakuji $5.5, you have to spend on inner city travel anyways.
>>
>>1188885
You spend so much time typing the post it doesnt contain any date.
>>
File: hm654654.jpg (22KB, 345x336px) Image search: [Google]
hm654654.jpg
22KB, 345x336px
>>1189123
>miku and luka
Those?
>>
>>1189123
Do you have any friends? Honest question.
>>
>>1189099
Well shit anon, you can't leave me hanging like that. What's it called?
>>
File: Senso-Ji.jpg (161KB, 1200x790px) Image search: [Google]
Senso-Ji.jpg
161KB, 1200x790px
New VisitJapan promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLIv7HnZ_fE

Questions to all:
>When is your next trip?
>Where are you staying?
>What are your plans when there?
>>
>>1189251
February
Sapporo, Morioka, Nagano, Tokyo, Naha
Snow Festival + Otaru, ski resort ryokan, snow monkeys, Nakano + Odaiba + Ueno Zoo + Asakusa, beaches + museums + parks + Churaumi; actually it's a group tour
>>
At Genki Sushi, the tea they offered was just an incredibly concentrated powder, any idea what I'd be looking for in a shop if I want something like that to take home? I'm also looking for some bonito flakes/konbu for making dashi broth at home. I'll be in the Kansai region a bit longer, and in Tokyo afterwards, for reference.
>>
>>1189259
I'll probably sound stupid here, but could you fill me in on how a group tour works? Is your whole trip (transport, accommodation etc) planned by a guide/agency? Are you going alone with a group of strangers? How much does it cost?

Also your itinerary looks great, hope you enjoy it man. Been before?
>>
>>1189267
Probably matcha. I bought some for a friend at the Narita free shop.
>>
>>1189203
At least two, Baka
>>
Where's the best place to go to get girls that want to fuck gaijin?
>>
>>1189269
It's basically a trip (transportation, accommodation, sightseeing) planned out and organized by an agency. You travel around with a group of strangers (unless you bring someone else along) with a tour guide from the agency.
In this case it's 3 weeks for about 4000€ (plus I'll need about 500-700€ more for food).

It's my second trip with this agency. It's run by an old (60-ish) Japanese expat who's been doing it for 30 years, and he's acting as the tour guide, too. Pretty relaxed and well organized, time to go off on your own, small groups (11 people this time), using public transportation (instead of a rented tour bus), and the price is decent (actually less than shorter, more mass tourism-like offers).

Last tour was the stereotypical tourist highlights, in October... Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, Takamatsu plus ryokan stays in Ueda and Ito. It was pretty awesome.

You can definitely travel for much less if you do all the organization yourself, though. I just lack the drive for solo travel.
>>
>>1188880
Ok, so while he didn't know about that particular book, he recommends to check out any of the larger locations book store (chains?) because they often carry a used book section. I think the name Yaesu popped up.
If you can't find it there, he recommends looking in the Jimbocho area in Tokyo, which has many used book stores.
>>
>>1189281
That seems fairly reasonable for 3 weeks. I spent under £1200 this summer (before the exchange rate tanked), which was spending money, flights and a high-end hotel, but that was only for 5 days. Sounds cool that it's relaxed and comes with ryokan bookings. What sort of group were you with last time?

Posted earlier in the thread that my friend might be dropping out of our upcoming trip (flights paid, hotels paid on arrival). Probably too late for me to jump on something like this, but I'm intrigued for my next one. I'm a big drinker so I'm not sure how well I'd fit with this set-up. I've got a knack for planning trips so it's not been something I've considered.

I'll be leaving Tokyo on Feb 3rd this time round. Thanks for your info!
>>
>>1189284
Well, accommodation was pretty standard - business hotels and small ryokan/minshuku.

The group was like 5 IT/nerdy job guys (including me), a gay couple of anime fans, a married couple on their honeymoon, all in their early 30s, a mostly stereotypical 20-something otaku with his girlfriend, two sisters in their late 50s who thought they'd try something new for a holiday and a sourly 40-something female museum curator who knew everything better. All in all it meshed rather well and was quite fun.
I don't think I stayed sober for a single evening, either (do go to a normal supermarket to buy sake/beer, it's cheaper than a conbini, which in turn is cheaper than restaurants), you just have to be able to still get up early the next day.
>>
>>1189251
>March/April
>Friend's apartment in central tokyo

Aside from Ueno park/Shinjuku Gyoen/Chidorigafuchi I don't really have anything planned to be honest. It's like my dozenth time in Tokyo, I like just wandering around different places. Maybe I'll go up into the Skytree this time.
>>
>>1189294
Sounds good, man. Didn't have any supermarkets near my hotel last time, only hit a combini once for beers, spent most nights in bars (which I think is why I spent so much). I'll obviously have to change tact if I'm going solo, so thanks for the tip.

Early start isn't and issue, I'm unfortunately used to drinking heavily and functioning normally for work.

Did you have any Tokyo (or surrounding) highlights on your last trip? Always looking to add stuff to my map.
>>
>>1189300
Since you've been a lot and have friends there, can you share your favourite drinking spots in Tokyo? Pubs, bars clubs, whatever.
>>
File: PinkFestival.jpg (366KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
PinkFestival.jpg
366KB, 700x525px
>>1189000

hey fags,

Sorry about being retarded but somehow that torrent - the first I've actually done - got corrupted. Here's the new magnet

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4074c1de8cad2b284d78f84c6a67eedc4db2a676&dn=KYOTO%20%202014-15

>>1188660
yeah if you want to get there for the painting pink the leaves of the trees festival, April's the month to go
>>
>>1189168
i'm too much of a nervous wreck to go to a soapland or anything like that. this worked better for me

>>1189176
i walked into joyopolis, saw that all of the attractions cost upwards of 500 yen, and couldn't find an actual arcade inside, and promptly left. if there is an actual arcade inside i might go again, but taito game stations offer the same thing
>>
Any of yall know how common Tekken 7 is in arcades?
>>
>>1189320
saw it in a taito game station in akiba, they had at least 6 machines
>>
>>1189321
Ah right cheers bud
>>
>>1189301
Just the usual touristy stuff I'm afraid.
Asakusa, Meji shrine, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akiba, daytrip to Kamakura.

Nakano broadway (more retro-oriented anime stuff), Yasakuni shrine (I hear it's pretty), Sumida aquarium, Odaiba (maybe by sumida river cruise) are what I'll possibly check out this time (and more Asakusa cause that's where we're based, anyway - Ueno Zoo, Kappabashi, etc).

Some anon posted this old map with POIs a few threads back:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZdiPQwuWIXRpgMGNRFxnq9hit1M&usp=sharing

and there was also this list floating around:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AeiOKod93kNklWMTNZejBIR1k/view
>>
>>1188226
"Real" katanas that are well made are the price of new car and then some. A nice replica that's isn't completely shit might run you a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand.
>>
>>1188231
Eat ramen, but not from that ramen stadium thing, you would be cheating yourself. Spend some money, folks there needs it.
>>
>>1189326
Can you even buy one? They can't legally have an edge
>>
>>1189251
>When is your next trip?
April-May

>Where are you staying?
Tokyo, Nikko, Sendai, Kyoto, Miyajima, and Nagasaki

>What are your plans when there?
Going to try and be in Kamakura for the Kamakura festival, will be in Nikko for the Yayoi festival's closing parade. Will be hiking all over the place, as well as visiting museums, shrines, and temples. Hoping I'll be in Nagasaki for the Tall Ships festival.
>>
>>1188535
In the same way that saved by the bell and American power rangers accurately depicted highschool
>>
>>1189330
Yes. Generally the seller will help you through the registration and export process. Similar to purchasing a firearm in the US.
http://www.jssus.org/nkp/japanese_sword_laws.html
>>
>>1189248
It's called a Pink Salon ピンサロ
>>
>>1189330
Legally no. New examples are sold without an edge, but some knife makers, and artisans who make katanas will be able to refer you to a trusted company, artisan or swords smith in home Country who can "finish the job".
>>
hey anons, I'm about to go to tokyo in about 5-6 months and I plan to stay there for about 6 days. I have a budget of 4023.30 USD for me and my friend. I know, our budget is too low. But, this is part of my friend's bucketlist so might as well. Can you guys give me some tips on cheap places to stay, eat, and go to? I know cheaper isn't better, but the experience would make up for it. Thanks anons!
>>
>>1189358
Is that 4000 for the two of you including flights or something? Because otherwise that's way more than enough for six days.
>>
>>1189360
To be on the safe side, I'll say that the flight is not yet included, making it 3419.79 USD left.
>>
>>1189361
So $300 per roundtrip? With $3400 left, a hostel can be as cheap as $20 a night per person with the limit for accommodations being as much as you want to spend. Travel per day should be about $10-12 depending on where in Tokyo you want to go and how many stops you make along the way. Meals are anywhere from $5 for stuff from the convenience store to $50 at a decently expensive restaurant. To be honest if you aren't buying many gifts a budget of $250 a day per person goes pretty far.
>>
>>1189358
That's a lot of money, you guys could stay in Japan for like 40 days.
>>
>>1189363
>>1189364

Well, that's surprising! To be honest, I was expecting it to be around 500$ per person. Anyways, can you guys suggest me an itinerary? We want to make the most out of our stay so it's fine if we make several stops here and there. BUT, we would definitely have to go to akihabara sometime during our trip.
>>
>>1188212
Do I always have to book a mobile wi-fi hotspot in advance? Or are there options to rent on the same day I arrive?
>>
>>1189370
When will this shitty pocket wifi meme end?
>>
>>1189406
>shitty pocket wifi
lol
>>
I am a 26 year old (almost 27) Canadian, who is perfectly fluent in English and college educated to a degree. I do not posses a degree in English or a TEFL.

Are teaching jobs for me available in Japan? Is it better to travel there in search of a job and then return? or begin from home?

Any insight would be good...Can I even live comfortably on a foreign teaching wage, as I've heard Japan is 'like the New York of Asia'?

Thanks!
>>
>>1189413
>college educated to a degree
Do you have a bachelor's degree? If so, yes. If not, no.
>>
>>1189415
Sorry that was confusing. In Canada we have Diplomas and Degrees.

I have a Diploma in Marketing, not a degree.

Thanks for the response
>>
hey /trv/ planning to go to japan from 24 dec to 1 jan, and was thinking of splitting it up like so:

24 dec - 26 dec: tokyo
27 dec - 30 dec: kyoto
31 dec - 1 jan: tokyo (is celebrating new years here ok?)

is that good? also, would it be good take the train to different prefectures and then go back to your hotel when the day ends or would it be too time consuming and i'll not be able to see as much?
like i'll spend the first 1/2 days in tokyo and then the next 2/1 day i'll take the train to kamakura or enoshima
>>
Are there services to store your luggage that's not at the airport?
>>
File: naha-red-light-district.jpg (752KB, 2100x1402px) Image search: [Google]
naha-red-light-district.jpg
752KB, 2100x1402px
I'm going to Japan next July. I know its the worse time to travel there but its the only time that I'm available.

What places should I visit other than Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima? I'm thinking of either Okinawa or Hokkaido as well.
>>
>>1189418
I would remove one day from Kyoto, unless you also do a side trip to Nara. 4 days for Tokyo is already pretty little, I would just stay in the city (Kamakura is also mostly a summer/beach vibe destination, I can't imagine it really being fun in Winter)
>>1189434
Train stations
>>1189435
how much time do you have?
>>
>>1189442
About 13 days. I actually went to Japan for the first time earlier this year with some friends but only went between Tokyo and Osaka. So I have a grounding idea of what I wanna do next July. I'm basically trying to decide between spending a few days in Okinawa or a few days in Hokkaido.
>>
>>1189367
Bump on this one please
>>
>>1189103
day 3 blogpost, hide if you want

>tried to change a heavy ass bag of taiwan coins and found that's impossible, so had to go back and drop it off
>spent the afternoon in shibamata and was pleasantly surprised
>no white tourists, no overt commercialization, just a walk through a small town to the temple
>tried some kusa dango (brety good) and a soy sauce equivalent (salty as fuck)
>enjoyed taishakuten temple a whole lot. watched a prayer service, saw cute little girls wearing kimonos with their family
>went into an older candy shop filled with toys, sweets, and other neat stuff. shot an air rifle at prizes and missed >played a game of super mario on an arcade cabinet. game feels so much better with a stick compared to a controller
>checked out pokemon center mega tokyo, it was okay but not nearly as cool as i thought. just a store in a mall, not an experience unto itself
>bought my friend a popplio plush, played a game of pokken (sceptile rules) and then left
>i planned my whole trip months back counting on visiting tsukiji, then the day before i leave i find out it's closed all december
>decide to go anyways and walk around in the cold trying to find a good sushi place
>settle on one, they don't speak any english and make it tough but the food was good
>check out a manga cafe, smells like fucking cigarettes, can hear other guys fapping. still fap and then leave early
>take the train home and stop in a hole in the wall near my hotel for food
>get some really delicious ramen

and that's day 3. had it's ups and downs but a good day altogether. day 4 is my last full day and then i leave on friday evening.

lemme know if there's anything i should see before i go!
>>
>>1189442
yeah i guess that would be better i think i'll go to kyoto first. i'll have to see what attractions and spots to visit there are near tokyo and kyoto and take what you said into consideration (the family may not be able to keep up in the city) thanks for the help, i appreciate it anon!
>>
First time To Japan guy here

Its practically impossible for me to socialize or make small chat with ANYONE if I only know a little nippon, is it?
>>
>>1189443
I've only been to Okinawa so I can only comment on that. Would definitely recommend Ishigaki Island (direct flights from Tokyo or Osaka). Absolutely beautiful, tranquill place. Hokkaido might be nice too though, possibly escaping the rainy season
>>1189448
check Japan guide for sample itineraries
>>1189461
It's gonna be difficult if they don't speak English (as it would be in any other country in the world). That said, in Major cities you should still be able to find someone whom you can speak English with
>>
What is the cheapest place in Tokyo to rent a room for a week thats not an airbnb?
>>
>>1189473
airbnb
>>
>>1189456
Wait, Tsukiji Fish Market is closed all December?
>>
>>1189456
>blogging
Better than the autistic weeb with the walls of text filled with conspiracy theory.
>>
>>1189492
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

>Notice

>From December 1, 2016 to January 15, 2017, the busiest time of the year at Tsukiji Fish Market, tourists will not be allowed to watch the morning tuna auctions to ensure a smooth and accident free course of business. The rest of the market is open as usual.
>>
>>1189494
Given, what you do with conspiracy theorists is disprove them and see them crawl back into the cave.
This shitter is staying around because people aren't even trying to disprove his theories, which makes conspiranoids think they're winning.
>>
>>1189408
I have international phone so I can use any sim-card I want. So it's pretty shit to carry a device that needs its own battery and using wifi drains battery from phones.
>>
File: large_Joseph_Won..__Japan.jpg (126KB, 800x499px) Image search: [Google]
large_Joseph_Won..__Japan.jpg
126KB, 800x499px
>>1188629 here. Does anyone have experience booking a monk ryokan? The only place online I can find is japaneseguesthouses.com. It looks reputable but I figure I'll ask.

>>1189034
The more I read about it the more excited I get. I'm looking to book at Shojoshin-in because it's right next to the cemetery. Really hoping it snows, but I'm not sure if that area experiences regular snowfall in the winter because it's so far south.
>>
Accidentally got loads of time off work over Christmas. Is Christmas/New Year a good time to go?

Nothing's guaranteed (and I may just go somewhere closer to home) but I'm just getting ideas.
>>
>>1189503
>and I might just go somewhere closer to home
Then what about you stay home and save everyone involved a lot of trouble?
Going to another country, especially one that has serious problems with foreign tourists and has a huge culture gap that causes misunderstandings and distress for the people who live there, is not something you do because "you had time off work".
What's in the way of you staying in your own country? Do you truly enjoy causing misunderstandings and obliging people to go out of their way for you by exploiting a national guilt complex and a beleaguered, bound-and-gagged political situation?
Do you enjoy not being understood?
Do you enjoy eroding the culture and national integrity of another country simply because the ttongsul-mired US media told you that everyone has the right to go and act like a howler monkey (for the sake of their allies in a certain Chinese barony with a falsified history that conveniently forgets that the Japanese modernized their country for free)?
Do you like misunderstandings, awkwardness, hassling people, passing the blame and generally making a nuisance out of yourself by acting like you have the right to barge into a foreign country when no one asked for you?
If so, go.
If you have any decency, though, you'll stay in your home country, doing things you know and understand together with people you share values with. You'll support your own economy instead of a clusterfuck of international conglomerates, fraudsters and Korean criminals funneling the money straight into government pockets.
Is your own country, the people you know and the culture that raised you not enough for you? Did you really earn that money just to use it to harass people? Don't you feel ashamed for turning people's culture into a consumer good?
This might be /trv/, but telling people not to travel is also travel-related. Help your country and your people instead of using the money you earned thanks to your country on spitting on it.
>>
>>1189507
Damn bro I think you need to get out more
>>
>>1189283
thanks!
>>
>>1189512
Except this is what I've realized from actually getting out. Actually learning Japanese and knowing what people actually think - on their own TV shows, on their own websites and when they think the foreigners aren't listening - tells you exactly how big a nuisance you're being, and exactly why the Japanese aren't allowed to raise their voices about it (quick answer: a certain country to the west that the US constructed on historical revisionism to have a way of suppressing Japan politically and profiting off its technology without actually allowing the Japanese to benefit from it).
I've spent a lot of my life, from the literal month I was born and regularly since then, traveling to both tourist traps and out-of-the-way places, and I know exactly what tourism does to a country - it trivializes and commercializes the culture of the country, providing easy job opportunities for scammers and fraudsters while ensuring that the whole country becomes obliged to cut up and market the culture and country that bore and raised them because of the profit margin. Worse than that, when tourism really catches on, towns and villages start being tempted towards tourism profiteering by the naïve Murkans and backpackers throwing around money because they want to feel like Mighty Whitey in Darkest Africa.
The economy of the town and then the region starts changing to accommodate the tourist hordes, forcing entrepreneurs to go into tourism instead of services for the natives. These people then proceed to start buying up native businesses and people's homes when the tourists bring their friends and family, and when the bubble bursts because the tourists butchered and greedily swallowed all the actual native culture that was there in bite-sized, over-spiced portions instead of savoring it like it's supposed to be enjoyed, everyone's unhappy.
>>
>>1189512
>>1189519
The difference is that the tourists will be crying "racism" as soon as they can't smash into another country for their own cheap enjoyment, while the natives actually suffer from their culture and national identity being eroded and the opinions of the natives being shut up in order to please the tourists.
This is not a good situation, and what actually makes it racist and exploitative is that the natives have no choice. If the Japanese people, all as one, were hypothetically to decide that they wanted all foreign nationals and all naturalized foreigners to fuck off for perpetuity in order to protect the Japanese economy, media and culture against (respectively) industrial espionage by A Certain Nation, political subversion by Guess What Country and butchering by fraudsters and traitors to the nation, do you really think they would be allowed to do it? If even one tourist being thrown out is a matter that gets blown up into "racism" by the New Seoul Times, you can imagine that the Japanese would never be given the right to tell people that they've had enough, thank you very much.
What's in the way of a country choosing, theoretically, to completely and utterly refuse all foreign natives save for diplomats entry of any kind for perpetuity, doing their trading and political maneuvering through diplomats while protecting the country from thousands of ills?
A trend traveler or gaijin smasher who thinks that other countries exist solely for their own masturbatory pleasure will have a problem. An actual traveler with respect for the country will rejoice and enjoy the fact that at least some kind of culture will remain when the crass globalist hyper-individualist consumerism of second-hand American "culture" has consumed the rest of the world's languages and cultures.
>>
Holy shit man, your autism is off the charts. Seek help, you are seriously mentally ill.
>>
Guys, please don't reply to Autismo-sama, we always managed to keep the Japan General somewhat shitposting free in the almost 2 and a half years of its existence, let's try to keep that up!
>>
>>1189521
Are rational explanations, personal experience and basic human decency not enough to break through your entitlement?
If you're really so hung up on your own Mighty Whitey delusion that you start calling people mentally ill, please explain why. I've never heard any of you tell me exactly why what I'm saying is so bad, or why what I've seen with my own eyes must be a lie because you want to nurture your Animeland fantasies.
The only thing I see in your replies is the burbling, slavering flailing of a five-year-old with Down's as it fails to comprehend that there are other people in the world and they aren't all NPCs created for its entertainment.
Tell me why you have the right to invite yourself to another country.
Tell me why you have the right to not be thrown out, treated like shit or even just killed when you're exploiting and harming the country without having contributed or even being able to constructively interact with the natives.
Tell me why it's so bad that you should stay in a country filled with people you understand, share values with and actually help by staying there.
Tell me why it's right that no country in the world has the right to protect itself and the things it's created with its own national values and principles by shutting itself off and requiring some meaningful effort to get into.
Tell me exactly why the zainichi interference in Japanese media through Softbank and Lotte is a lie and why Choe wasn't actually bribing K Sports, Asahi and many other Japanese news outlets in order to spread anti-Japanese propaganda.
Tell me why industrial espionage and the zainichi media lobby is actually a lie.
Tell me how it isn't an issue for someone who actually likes other cultures that they're being trampled underfoot one after the other by the US' cancerous, parasitic individual-worshiping "culture".
I only need an explanation.
The only thing you're doing is waffling.
>>
>>1189507
Shan't be reading that. I skimmed your ramblings. Wanting to go to Japan isn't "spur of the moment", but going in a few weeks is. I have wanted to go for years and this is the best chance I have to go for a reasonable amount of time.

Get a tripcode so I can filter you, you insufferable cunt. Anybody that's not a fucking idiot got anything else to say on the matter?
>>
>>1189523
Alright, shit has gone far enough. I'm going to start taking you seriously now. You definitely have some truth to what you're saying. But you extrapolated it to the point where it makes me wonder if you're actually autistic.
>Tell me why you have the right to invite yourself to another country.
No one is saying that it's a right. It's definitely a privilege. Legally traveling to another country is not "inviting yourself". You show your passport after you get off the plane and you're allowed in.
>Tell me why you have the right to not be thrown out, treated like shit or even just killed when you're exploiting and harming the country without having contributed or even being able to constructively interact with the natives.
Here's where the retardation starts. There are definately cases where white people do some stupid shit. (e.g happenings around military base in Okinawa) But most people are quite harmless. The fact that the word "gaijin smashers" exists shows how novel they are. Otherwise they would be synonyms with foreigner. Japan is a very developed country if you get charged with any crime, you'll most likely be convicted and deported.
>Tell me why it's so bad that you should stay in a country filled with people you understand, share values with and actually help by staying there.
Because that that's a unhealthy mentality. When you visit other countries and actually try to get invested into the culture you become a more well-rounded person( less narrow point of view).
>Tell me why it's right that no country in the world has the right to protect itself and the things it's created with its own national values and principles by shutting itself off and requiring some meaningful effort to get into.
This is definitely with many 3rd world countries sadly, but 90% of the time they would be worse off isolating themselves. A lot of wealth is still situated in the West and East Asia.
>>
>>1189523
>Tell me exactly why the zainichi interference in Japanese media through Softbank and Lotte is a lie and why Choe wasn't actually bribing K Sports, Asahi and many other Japanese news outlets in order to spread anti-Japanese propaganda.
Explain this bullshit.
>Tell me why industrial espionage and the zainichi media lobby is actually a lie.
Same as above, sources my man.
>Tell me how it isn't an issue for someone who actually likes other cultures that they're being trampled underfoot one after the other by the US' cancerous, parasitic individual-worshiping "culture".
Okay, so you're a special snowflake then? Fuck you, I'm sure they're a few people in this thread just as invested as you are without talking down to people. If it was just some
>muh white dick
Then maybe you'd have a point. But you're not even giving people a chance.

I'll also accept Japanese sources as well. So you can't pull any bullshit.
>>
>>1189532
Well, check your budget, check where you want to go when you visit Japan, and duration of stay there. I personally haven't been to Japan but I believe that 17 days is long enough for the things I have planned, may be excessive, may be too little, who knows.
If you want to do it, act on it, and see where it takes you.
From the looks of it, /trv/ is a board where people ask questions they can't find from google and act based on personal experiences that other people had experienced in the country they want to visit.
>>
>>1189551
fuck off
>>
>>1189507
>the Japanese modernized their country for free
wrong
>>
Back to Japan questions and away from autism.

I would like to contact Japanese people online before I make my trip.

Can anyone recommend any reliable apps or websites to be able to this?
Thanks
>>
>>1189507
>Japanese modernized their country for free
You mean at the cost of two nukes, a capital flattened by firebombs and the ability to keep their own military force? We Americans defend them militarily because of the conditions we forced them to agree to at the end of WWII, seems like some people have forgotten that.
>>
>>1189520
>adopts western technology, organisations and customs
>whitu piggu go home!
>>
>>1189568
Japanese people don't want to talk to you.
>>
>>1189413
I want to know the same thing: is it better to travel there then get a job, or have one lined up before you make the move.
I've been looking at jobs in Japan for a while now, (teaching Eng jobs) but alot of them require you to already live there.
>>
>>1189589
Second this.
>>
>>1189589
>>1189590

Getting a visa can take up to 3 months and I believe you need to turn it into an embassy in your home country, so apply online. Yes, that excludes you from a lot of the online ad postings, but that's part of the hustle; come here first, then get a better job.
>>
>>1189568
HelloTalk. There's few American English speakers so most people will reply to you. Just ask a bunch of random guys/girls (max 20 per day) and you'll set.

Once you become close enough with them, get a LINE and ask their IDs.

Good luck getting that tight azn pussy, haha.
>>
File: ........jpg (42KB, 252x415px) Image search: [Google]
........jpg
42KB, 252x415px
>>1189595
>Good luck getting that tight azn pussy, haha.
>>
Can someone recommend me some places to visit or places to eat at in Tokyo?

I'm on day 8/12 in Tokyo and I pretty much visited all the main tourist attractions and parks and stuff. At least, the ones I had on my itinerary.

I'm really interested in museums, but I've only been to the Samurai museum. Are there any more I can check out?
>>
Do you guys know any net cafes where Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is playable?
>>
Anyone know how to get a card for playing taito games? I'd rather just get one instead of having to throw coins in every time.
>>
>>1189622
Seriously?
>>
>>1189507
This fucking guy
>>
>>1189643
Yes I want to shoot some Japs, I get too high latency to Japan from my place. It would be a good opportunity to speak some Japanese too.
>>
File: 0d73501eefe8313a2cad2a5feeffb75c.jpg (129KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
0d73501eefe8313a2cad2a5feeffb75c.jpg
129KB, 736x1104px
>>1189614

Did you check out the fish market or piss alley?
>>
File: 20161016_143648-1.jpg (283KB, 895x601px) Image search: [Google]
20161016_143648-1.jpg
283KB, 895x601px
>>1189595
>mfw you read my intentions
Thanks anon
>>
>>1189060
More info, please.
>>
>>1189662
I checked out the fish market alley, yeah. But not the piss alley.

What's that?
>>
>>1189662
>>1189678
Actually on second thought, I think I may have walked past that area unknowingly. It's in Shinjuku right?

I remember there being a lot of small restaurants on either side of the path.

I walked through it during the day though, not at night.
>>
>>1189662

Its a collection of little bars and eateries. I mean some only seat a couple of people. I first saw it on anthony bourdain's show so I had to go see it. Its definitely a night time thing as it comes alive and you can see inside. Some charge a cover charge.
>>
File: 2016-04-09 10.15.53 1.jpg (6MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-09 10.15.53 1.jpg
6MB, 4000x2992px
What's a good modern high rise hotel with a good view in tokyo? preferably under $200/night
>>
>>1188241
How come ryokans charge so much more for more people? I am reading that right, right? Like $200 for one person, but a total of nearly $400 for 2 people in many of the rooms.
>>
>>1188246
A few years ago when I was skiing in Canada, I found a digital camera buried in the snow up on a mountain. No one from the resort claimed it, so I kept it. On the memory card were ~300 pictures from a young couple's trip to Japan. They went to a sump match and took lots of pictures. It looked like a lot of fun, I would recommend it.
>>
>>1188629
I'm also interested in more info about Koya-san. I'm planning on putting it in my itinerary for my trip in July.
>>
>>1189694
It includes a traditional multi-course meal for each person, sometimes both breakfast and dinner.
>>
So guys. Tokyo Bay's annual New Years fireworks has been cancelled because of the Jewlympics.

What alternatives are there in Tokyo for New Years Fireworks? Or should Ijust give up?
>>
>>1189195
Thanks anon. We can't cancel the hotel unfortunately but I honestly would if I could. We'll be in Osaka/Kyoto for 5 days, then planning on Tokyo for around 12 days (a few day trips such as to Hakone, Odaiba) but my sister and I are mainly keen on food and animal related places.

Since we're only going to be in Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo, we had no intention of getting a JR pass (we'll probably be flying from Osaka to Tokyo which saves us $50 each)
>>
>>1189501
I stayed at Daien-in which i found through Japanican. It's really relaxing and breakfast and dinner is included. There's a morning prayer but its like 5:30am and breakfast is at 7. Their onsen is clean and nice. The cemetary is like 7-10 min walk away.
>>
>>1188629
Getting to Koyasan is pretty simple. At Namba station just follow signs for Koya line. Buy a World Heritage pass which includes a bus pass (unlimited rides thats good for 2 days) which youll need and a ticket back to Osaka, should cost like $30. The train will stop at Gokura-something station which is the last stop and everyone will get off. This is where you get on the cool cable car ride and enjoy some sweet elevator music for like 5 min to Koyasan Station. At the top you'll hop on a bus and ride down to Koyasan and youll show your bus pass to the driver.

Getting back is easy, wait at a bus stop and get on the bus to Koyasan Station. Ride the cable car down, get on a train and back to the rat race.

Enjoy!
>>
>>1188212
I'm planning on traveling and visiting Japan soon with the goal of moving there around next year.

I'm planning on moving there and living there but I'm scared of how people will treat me as an European. I have my first Japanese class tomorrow and I'm planning on studying it a lot so that once I'm there I can at least have a decent conversation.

So /trv/, what is your experience with what Japanese people think about Foreigners and what places do you recommend me to visit for tourism and what cities to maybe look for a place to live in (I'm fine in smaller cities)?
>>
>>1189730
They are nice to foreigners. You have to visit Tokyo.
>>
>>1189731
I'm planning on visiting Tokyo and staying there for around a month maybe 3 weeks, but I'm really unsure about living in Tokyo because of the high rent costs and general living in such a big city isn't for me. I'm planning on traveling to different cities and staying there for maybe a week or two and ask for rent prices, how low do you think I can go concerning city size? I finally got an internet business that earns good money so I can move someone without caring about the job market.
>>
>>1189614
Go to Ueno for art museums, miraikan in Odaiba for robots and science shit, roppongi for other art shit. I think mejiro for parasite museum. If you're with friends eat all you can eat samgyeopsal and all you can drink alcohol at tomato in shin okubo.
>>
>>1189732
Not him but I lived in Saitama for a month. Loved the place. 45/50 minutes from Tokyo, and the rent cost will be lower for sure.
And about foreigners, I was treated really well so unless you go acting like an ass you'll be fine.
>>
>>1189734
Thanks for the helpful post. I always read horror stories about people (even on 4chan) getting treated really badly, but I think it's just language barrier and different cultures that lead to a misunderstanding.

How much did you pay for rent?
>>
>>1189730
>what Japanese people think about foreigners
Japan is xenophobic in general but on an individual level they either don't give a shit or will hide their feelings to save face. Especially in a place like Tokyo where foreigners are common as fuck. It will be harder to find a place to rent and cost more than if you were Japanese for sure though. Also be prepared to lose like 5 months worth of rent in fees when you start renting. Lose meaning it won't go towards your rent at all.
>>
>>1189733
Thanks.

I've already visited the art museum in Ueno, but haven't seen the other stuff. I only went to Odaiba to see the Gundam and then left. I probably should have stayed and looked around.
>>
Why the fuck do so many of the channels on tv say:

>Failed to receive broadcast ____. Weather such as rain and snow may interfere reception temporarily

There's no rain or snow anywhere. Just display the fucking channels, I want to watch my gibberish anime.
>>
>>1189735
I used homestay so maybe it's not a very useful reference but I paid something like 800 usd.
And yes, most likely it's the language. Most people I met were surprised to see I spoke japanese (I imagine most tourists don't even bother to learn at least the basics), so speaking their language may help you connect with natives more than what you'd expect.
>>
>>1189503
Christmas isn't anything too special, but New Year's Eve is a great time to visit a shrine. Besides that, no, NYD and the following days are a really big holiday were everyone goes home to their family's house. Many businesses will be closed.
>>
>>1189456
day 4

>hung out in ryugoku and had a good time
>the edo japan museum was huge and had some cool historical exhibits
>plenty of miniatures of edo-era villages and other stuff
>checked out the sumo museum at kokugikan which turned out to just be a gift shop
>had some dope squid chanko nabe at chanko tomoegata, highly recommended
>spent the rest of the day back in akihabara, mainly figure hunting
>looked through the amiami and kotobukiya buildings, got a kirby nendo for 6500
>checked out gera-gera manga cafe, found it better than comcom but still fucking stank like cigs
>trying to find some fucking LVUR kamen rider ex-aid shit
>finally found the ones i wanted at yodobashi but didn't have enough money (fug)
>checked out a hole in the wall udon shop near my hotel
>ended the day with some really good tempura udon

tomorrow's the last day, flights at 7pm. i wonder what else i should do
>>
>>1189748
I pay around that much here anyways.

Thanks for the post, I hope I can learn a lot of Japanese through the next year.
>>
>>1189507
tldr
>>
>>1189691
Im ight suggest booking something around shinegawa then, but that isn't "Tokyo" enough for most kids.
>>
>>1189757
Go to a soapland in Yoshiwara. There are a few gaijin friendly ones.
>>
Any electronics or other goods with a considerable enough increase in quality to warrant browsing them in Japan as opposed to the U.S. while I'm over here? Examples being keyboards, headphones, etc. I'm in the market for a new mechanical keyboard, but would it even be compatible with my PC back home?
>>
File: IMG_20161125_143547.jpg (5MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161125_143547.jpg
5MB, 4608x2592px
cbf replying(sorry) but I went to Koya a week or two ago. I'm living in Osaka right now so didn't feel the need to stay the night, just spent the day there. To be honest I did no research on it, just heard it was nice and then went cos a friend was. Was expecting a climb of some sort, but it's more about the temples and stuff which is cool too.
Navigation is easy, just use Google maps. Once you get to the top of the cable car there are buses but me and my pal are cheapos so we just walked everywhere, then got a bus down. Particularly enjoyed the graveyard place, with all the moss. Friendly reminder it's kinda not cool to take photos of graves, as great as they look.
>>
>>1189818
pic related btw
>>
>>1189807
yes pcs are the same everywhere... your best bet for value is looking at a used electronic shop in akihabara for example, but they sell the same shit as everywhere in the world,
most tech is made in asia.

you can get some good bargains on used stuff, when i went there in 2012 i found PS3s for 50$
>>
File: IMG_4995.jpg (8KB, 197x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4995.jpg
8KB, 197x180px
I'm visiting Japan in a few weeks.

>I'm wanting to visit Aokigahara to walk through the forest and the ice/wind caves.

I have managed to find directions from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko but I can't find any routes to get to Aokigahara from Kawaguchiko.

I read online that I take a bus but I can't find any more info. Do any of you know how to get there?
>>
While I'm in Tokyo I am wanting to buy a watch. One that is expensive ($150 - $200 USD). Something that looks nice but isn't crap (sort of like Fossil watches).

Would malls in Tokyo be the best place for me to find a decent watch in that price range and are there any good Japanese watch brands or will most of the watches be imported?
>>
>>1189825
>one that is expensive
>$200

Adorable.
>>
>>1189805
Soaplands are fun, I'm flying to hk so I can take a boat to Macau this time though. Those saunas are supposed to be amazing
>>
>>1189825
You'll have trouble finding anything for that price.
If you want a watch that tells the time, buy an off-brand one in a design that you like - it's not like people will be looking too hard at it, and if they look at it and care, they'll realize it's a cheap one.
The reason watches are seen as cool and fashionable is that they're a status symbol, and a $200 watch is as good as a $5 one if you want to show status - as in, it matters jack shit. You won't be cool if you buy a $200 watch even if that's a lot of money for your high-schooler ass, because below a certain price range and outside of a certain dozen or so brands, watches are just ways of telling the time.
You can do that on your smartphone nowadays without seeming like the kind of goon who walks around with a flask, cane and pocket watch in a Chesterfield coat - a really cheap watch makes you look cheap because it just advertises that you wanted a watch but didn't have the money for a proper one.
If you want an "expensive" watch, look at $20,000 and up, up, up. The bottom limit for a "tasteful" watch is at least $1000 to $2000, and even in that case you'll look a bit cheap because you settled for second-best.
And anyway, no one under 18 ever looked cool because of a watch.
>>
>>1189823
I want to do that too, you need to rent a car to get there easily. The other way is to do a tour to visit the ice cave then take a detour to Aokigahara. If you're in Japan at the end of december, I will go with you.
>>
>>1189826
I meant to put "isn't"
>>
File: IMG_5132.jpg (125KB, 880x1020px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5132.jpg
125KB, 880x1020px
>>1189829

A lot of Fossil watches look great and very stylish and they run between $150 - $200.

I'm not wanting a name brand, just something that I think is visually appealing.

>pic related
>>
>>1189831
I want to go December 29th or 30th.
While I'm in the forest I will be putting up anti-suicide signs as well (which will take about half an hour).
>>
>>1189838
Shit I'm in Tokyo at the time, I'll go with you. I really want to go but it's too spooky to go alone.
>>
>>1189839
I don't think it's as spooky as it is boring to travel to the forest alone.

I just figured that if a few hand made signs can help at least one suicidal person walk out of the forest then it's worth the trip (plus the caves).

My line ID is adayfullofjustin
>>
>>1189823
The buses are pretty simple. Go to Kawaguchiko Station then you can pay for a day pass or just pay like 500yen to ride there. There's 3 lines: red, green, and blue. Only the red wont take you to the ice caves.
http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/pdf/heritagetour/routemap_retro_omni.pdf

Stop 71 on the green trail gets you to the caves and that green area is also Aokigahara. Shitty thing is the last buses tend to stop at around 5 for the town.

>>1189838
Please don't. There's already signs around the forest and aside from being the suicide forest it actually is a lovely piece of nature. And any unsolicited signs put up in 30 minutes are almost surely going to be removed within the month by officials anyway.
>>
How fucked am I if I go to Japan without speaking Japanese fluently? I've been considering to travel to Japan for quite some time now but I'm afraid that the language might be a barrier once I get there
>>
>>1189868
you're screwed, without japanese you cant buy food and thus starve to death.

Hell, even trying to find a place to live without japanese is impossible, they all have no gaijin policy if you dont call ahead and trick them with your fluent japanese. There's a reason why the only people who go to japan are the ones who speak fluent japanese.
>>
>>1189852
>And any unsolicited signs put up in 30 minutes are almost surely going to be removed within the month by officials anyway.

You sure? If I put the signs at December 31 2016 at night 11:59:59. You think they will be teared in that one second?
>>
>>1189872
>they all have no gaijin policy if you dont call ahead and trick them with your fluent japanese
tfw this is actually true for most outcall places, in addition to them blocking VOIP numbers
>>
File: victory.jpg (144KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
victory.jpg
144KB, 900x675px
>>1189822
>>1189807
The real bargains are in the seondhand items. They can be purchased with confidence as quality is something the Japanese take great pride in as is serving well.

In a year in Kyoto I replaced/upgraded lots - 10" eReader, laptop, headphones, SSD HDDs ... all secondhand and not one issue. Streets to purchase in Kyoto are Terramachi just south of Shijo and in Osaka the three or four blocks on the main street north from Ebisucho subway stn.

I'm still seeding my 200 high res torrent of Japan images 1.5Gb - mainly gadens, historic sites etc
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4074c1de8cad2b284d78f84c6a67eedc4db2a676&dn=KYOTO%20%202014-15
>>
>>1189868
You won't be fucked.
Just remember that everything you can't phrase is something someone else has to figure out for you, and everything you can't do is something someone else has to do for you.
You know what you call people who can't look out for their own ass and have to get other people involved for it? You know what they're called in every country around the world?
They're called leeches, retards, slackers, good-for-nothings, nuisances and a host of other unpleasant things. Just because you're in a different country doesn't make it better or more excusable that you can't watch out for yourself, and for fuck's sakes you should have more human dignity than being the equivalent of a child or a retard for the people who have to deal with you.
Of course, a large part of it is also basic communication ability - if you're good with people, you'll be able to get through a fair amount, though still nothing more than going through daily necessities. I've yet to meet someone who said they were good with people who actually was, though.
TL;DR: You can survive, but do you really want to cause a nuisance for everyone who has to talk to you, not be able to properly reciprocate when someone chooses to bother with you and in general go to a country just to not be able to communicate, not be able to contribute, not be able to feel at home and then leave the country knowing that both you and the Japanese nation are worse off for it?
If you had a bag thrown over your head and were taken to Japan at gunpoint, or even if your family took you along, you shouldn't feel ashamed about getting by on what you know (though you should still start cramming before you go).
If you have your trip in your own hands, though, there's no excuse to not wait until you're fluent.
People will shit on this, of course, but just read it through once more and consider whether or not any of your fundamental human rights have been broken by asking you to mind people around you.
>>
>tfw spending all my savings on 5 weeks in Tokyo next month
feels good
>>
>>1189872
>>1189875

Guess I'll keep studying then, my jap is pretty intermediate
>>
>>1189877
>10 inch ereaders

woah there

i want one of those. Do they have lots of em? how much was yours?
>>
>>1189885
By outcall I mean escorts btw, you don't need any Japanese to survive there
>>
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+151552
lol
>>
>>1189879
>cause a nuisance
For the majority of people you're in contact with as a tourist dealing with customers is their fucking job that they get paid to do.
>>
>>1189888
quick write a story about your experience with an escort in japan
>>
>>1189895
>spend half an hour searching for SoftBank at Tokyo station because of conflicting directions as to what level it's on
>rent voice only cell phone for $20 for a few days
>go to Uguisudani and pick a love hotel to use
>go inside and get a room for a couple hours
>call agency on phone, fumble through reservation in Japanese
>girl shows up at room 15 minutes later
>fuck her
>>
>>1189898
they serve gaijins?

Im thinking of just going to a soapland instead or using those delivery health things
>>
>>1189890
Paid just as much as for dealing with normal people.
Paid without being given a choice as to whether or not they can tell a foreigner to fuck off if they're causing a nuisance.
Paid by international agencies and multinational companies that contribute nothing to the Japanese economy.

You don't see Japanese people overseas smashing into stores and public places like howler monkeys, dragging around two wailing kids, a wheeled briefcase and a stroller inside museums and shrines.
You don't see groups of Japanese men traveling to the US and cornering American women, causing a huge fuss and embarrassing the woman if she doesn't immediately bite.
You don't see Japanese people going to other countries and casually breaking manners without apologizing or even getting mad that the natives have the gall to tell them how things are done in their country.
On top of that, people being paid to offer you a service is not the same as being paid to stand there and smile while a red-faced American woman screams slurs and threats in their face because she hadn't remembered sales tax and is now trying to get free food. A normal employee isn't paid to take shit day in and day out in situations where their actual training is useless because the other party is refusing to communicate. Just like in literally every other country in the world, it's in and out. You state clearly in a language that the employee understands exactly what you want, after which the employee provides it or tells you why they can't - and you need to be able to reply to this. You need to be able to address every question you would reasonably be asked, because that's communication, and a travel parlor can't let you do that.
If you were working in an American McDonalds and someone without any actual handicap came in, still choosing to only make chimpanzee sounds and snarl at you instead of speaking English, do you think you'd be able to smile and serve dozens of customers like this a day?
>>
Please just ignore him.
>>
>>1189890
On top of that, you're not only going to be dealing with employees (who you seem to treat as robots who can't feel distress on the job and whose pay automatically fixes all stress, guilt and negative emotions they have while protecting them from all embarrassment ever), but with real people.
If you're not doing that, you're treating the country as a consumer good and just barging into someone else's country (friendly reminder: unlike what some people think, a foreign travel company and predatory ticket sharking websites that buy up rooms at a loss for the owner by implying that no tourists will come if they don't roll over do not hold anywhere near the authority of the Japanese government or embassies, nor even a Japanese national) while causing distress and confusion around you that you think you can fix with money.
This is the literal definition of the Mighty Whitey fantasy - the idea that because of the status, money, appearance or anything else that it grants you to be white, you have the right to receive preferential treatment or be let off scot-free from something that other people would have to take responsibility for).
If you're not just there for the shopping and for your hollow fantasies of being fanned with palm leaves by geisha while having one anime schoolgirl after the other passed onto your pasty white dick, you in turn have the responsibility to be able to communicate with other people like a normal human being. Considering the amount of miscommunications that occur between people who speak the same language, it shouldn't be hard to understand why you should at least be able to speak the language of the country you're gatecrashing.
>>
>>1189902
Or you could try to see what I actually want people to do.
If you're really interested in the culture, if you really "like Japanese media and history", if you really have enough respect for the country to pay money to go there, it should really be piddling.
I could even write a fucking checklist in completely neutral language if it's that, post it every time someone spouts more entitled postmodern wailing. It'll also make it harder for people to pretend they didn't read the post and didn't care even when they bothered to read the contents and post a fitting reply.
>>
>>1189880
Good decision.
>>
This might be a stupid question, so I'm sorry if it is.

How late at night does the transport system keep running for?

I want to watch the midnight release of Rogue One on Osaka but I'm not certain on whether the trains will be running at ~0230
>>
File: huawei.jpg (874KB, 2488x3568px) Image search: [Google]
huawei.jpg
874KB, 2488x3568px
>>1189886
yeah, they had quite a few. Obviously a corporate purchase of surplus from Docomo. It's Huwei manufactured with a marvelous screen for viewing photographs. 6Gb. It cost secondhand about $110. I love it.
>>
>>1189901
lol, someone has never actually been to a place with a large Japanese tourist population. They're just as bad with English as they are with Japanese and have no problem "causing a nuisance" to English speaking service workers because it's also their fucking job to serve whoever comes in the store. Holy shit how autistic can you fucking be.
>>
>>1189932
they won't

last trains are at midnight
>>
>>1189939
He is like that because he is yet to leave his hometown.
>>
Remember, the first rule of Japan general is "do not reply to autismo kun". Second rule is "do not reply to autismo kun".
>>
>>1189877
>>1189822
Nice! Thanks, guys.
>>
>>1189960
This, if we could all just ignore him, he might disappear in his own frustration.
>>
>>1189520
Hey, I'm dutch and we have hordes of japanese tourists taking pictures of windmills and people in costumes. What do you think about that?
>>
>>1189963
We've tried ignoring him. He just targets new people who unknowingly feed the (you)'s that keep him going.
>>
>>1190000
Nice quads but go fuck yourself. Don't reply to autismo kun
>>
>>1190009
I like autism kun. I just wish his thoughts were written without the edge, he has some good points even if you people say otherwise.
> caring about repeating numbers
The autism is also with you.
>>
>>1190007
This is true. My "you should get out more" post got 2 replies from him. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>1190021
>thoughts were written without the edge, he has some good points
Agreed. However has a habit of exaggerating problems and always assuming the worst of people. I think we should still ignore until he corrects this.
>>
Has anyone had any experience with b mobile tourist sim cards?
I was told you need to be a citizen to get any other sim card
Should I hold out and get the b mobile or buy a prepaid or travel sim before I leave?
>>
>>1190040
Get one in the airport once you arrive, you'll get better deals there. There's actually plenty to choose from but you do need to be a citizen to get a phone number. Otherwise you'll be be paying $7 dollars a day.. http://service.ocn.ne.jp/mobile/one/visitor/en/
Is one of the cheaper ones.
>>
>>1189879
Let me guess, the only country you've been to is Japan? Americans who know Japanese/have been to Japan are always suffering from this superiority as if they did something groundbreaking. People travel all over the world without knowing the local languages, get over it
>>
>>1189825
Fossil is crap, Japanese brands in your price range are Seiko, Orient, Citizen and maybe Casio if you want to go the cheapo route
>>
>>1190060
see
>>1190007
>>1189960
>>
>>1189825
Seiko my nigga.
>>
>>1190067
noted, also some people that I know will be coming to Japan, we'll spend a couple of days and then they'll go on traveling around the country. I've been planning to tag along, however how hard would it be logistically? I never stayed at hotels here so no idea about how it works, are reservations necessary during late December-early January in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto? Also from what I know the charge is usually per person, but is it possible to just sleep on the ground?
>>
>>1189879
What are you on about...?
Majority of tourists won't speak the local language of the country they visit. And it's not even expected, however they will appreciate if you try and actually use a few phrases.
There would be no torusim if language was a requirement...

>>1189868
Just go dude if you want to. Backpacked Japan for two weeks all alone with no japanese. Been to small towns and big cities, I've had zero problems getting my point across and vice versa. Hotels/hostels will naturally have english speaking employees and you don't really need japanese to buy shit in the 7elevens either.
Altough japanese aren't the best english speakers, there are more and more who does. When I was in Kyoto I've been approached by grade school kids who studied english and they spoke quite well, so it is a matter of time now till english will be wide spread. Also met in Tokyo a group of elderly people talking to tourists studying english. Japan is preparing for the Olimipcs in it's on way.
Bottom line is, if you act as a human and have respect for the cultural differences you will not have problems traveling in Japan. Japanese are respectful and helpful I found.
>>
>>1190040
i walked into haneda, went to a vending machine, and bought a j walker sim card for 2500 yen. 1.4gb for 7 days.

there are other options if you google around a bit
>>
waiting for my flight home after a week of travel and a year working abroad

coming back to america is gonna feel weird, isn't it?
>>
Hey guys,

I live in Tokyo and my cousin and his friend are visiting me for 10 days next week.

I've been debating whether it is worth it to spend a day down in Yokohama? I usually don't go down there but do you think there's enough to see to justify it?
>>
Hey anons.

I was wondering if you guys can check my budget for 2 on a 7 day trip on may 30-june 4 in tokyo.

So,
1,085 $ - back and forth flight & hotel for 7 nights

523 $ - jr pass with shipping expenses

3,517$ - 7 day budget

Is this too much? My partner and I are planning to go to several places and eat there.

Thanks anons!
>>
What's the best time to go I mean this as in time when least amount of tourists will be there?
>>
>>1190091
Spent a total of 3k including everything for 2 weeks in tokyo so 5k for 1 week 2 people sounds good
>>
>>1189837
Kek thats disgusting
>>
>>1190094
Were you guys on a high budget?
>>
>>1190102
Looking at my budget document it was actually around $2500, 500$ on airplane tickets, 600$ on airbnb apartment, leaving around $100 per day in spending money. I was solo and I would say it was a moderate budget, eating out every day but at mostly cheap places for $30-40 or so, $6/day for subway tickets spending the remaining $50 on activities, partying and shopping.
Should note I spent heavily above my intended budget of $50 per day. $100 per person should be enough, you can't budget too much money.
>>
>>1190050
>>1190081
Thanks guys have a better idea now
>>
>>1189879
>TLDR
>Longer than the actual post

This is some next level trolling m8
>>
File: 1453482539193.jpg (57KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
1453482539193.jpg
57KB, 567x561px
>>1190149
Don't reply to him man. But yeah, I wrote one line, he replied back with a wall of text and at the end of it accused me of waffling. Pic related.

On topic:
Has anyone here renewed their tourist visa from within Japan before? I'm considering doing that but I don't know much about it/how easy it is.
>>
>>1190151
>renewed their tourist visa from within Japan
It's not possible. You have to exit the country and get a new tourist visa.
>>
>>1189829
>>1189837

I just wanted to say that this kind of thinking about only the thousand dollar watches is by no means true for all, or even most, social circles.

If you're looking for a $200 dollar watch then I take it you're not doing it to show off wealth. You're a bit low for the commonly suggested good stuff but like another poster said, citizen, seiko, orient, are all Japanese brands that have good watches in your range.

If you're looking to buy fossil there's no real point in going to Japan for it, as far as I've seen prices only get marginally better, if at all. And if the fossil aesthetic is what you're into, well, you'd probably be better off just getting a fossil.
>>
>>1190093
During the Summer in Japan. But you won't want to be there either. It starts to get bad around June.
>>
>>1190165
I'm just wanting a watch that I think looks nice and $200 USD is as much as I'm willing to pay. Brand name doesn't matter to me but being that I'm Tokyo, I thought it would be nice to buy a watch as a souvenir. I don't want a souvenir that will just sit on my counter.
>>
File: ishiyamadera.jpg (121KB, 400x313px) Image search: [Google]
ishiyamadera.jpg
121KB, 400x313px
>>1190282
Have you thought about a Rado watch? Some of those very flashy secondhand brandname shops have them very cheap. They are wonderful Japanese design, there's some interesting vintage/retro styles around, and the ceramic ones have the casing of ultra hightech Kyocera ceramic. Worth considering in my view as an option.
>>
New thread >>1190320
>>
>>1190218
Not the guy who asked, but why?
>>
File: DSC03141.jpg (4MB, 2880x1921px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03141.jpg
4MB, 2880x1921px
went to Tokyo, took some pics.
>>
File: DSC03130.jpg (4MB, 2880x1921px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03130.jpg
4MB, 2880x1921px
>>1190694
>>
File: DSC03116.jpg (3MB, 2880x1921px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03116.jpg
3MB, 2880x1921px
>>1190695
>>
File: DSC00584.jpg (4MB, 2880x1921px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00584.jpg
4MB, 2880x1921px
>>1190697
>>
File: DSC03288.jpg (5MB, 2880x1921px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03288.jpg
5MB, 2880x1921px
>>1190700

I got a bunch more but that covers it nicely. Fun town. Will go again.
>>
>>1190704
shit dude, those are some sweet pics

what's your camera setup? did you shop the pics at all?
>>
I have a JR pass and will be spending a couple of days in Tokyo as base, I am planning to do a day-trip to areas covered by the pass, like the snow monkeys in Nagano for example. Anyone did the same or planning something alike?
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.