[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 365
Thread images: 53

File: 1459076336185.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1459076336185.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>Previous thread:
>>55331184

Does your table read the PHB?
>>
File: Bemused Hitler.jpg (66KB, 634x727px) Image search: [Google]
Bemused Hitler.jpg
66KB, 634x727px
>Making a new thread before arcana releases
JIMMY, PEOPLE GO TO HELL FOR THAT
>>
>>55337414
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf
>>
Reposting my findings for a new thread. Will only post maybe one or two more times for the 'night crowd' to generate discussion.

I haven't been in a 5e thread in a long time, so I don't know if this information has already been sorted out, but I'm going to post my findings. I've been playing in and out of campaigns, one-shots, small adventures, and reading through the different adventures, both official, adventurer's league, and house brew.

I've noticed that some skills are more valuable than others, and have separated them into this tier list. If there already is a tier list, I haven't seen it yet, so you can just take my findings as my own study. Because of word count, I can't explain all of them, so if you have any questions what the tiers mean or why a skill is in one tier and not the other, just ask.

GOD TIER
>Perception
>Stealth
>Insight
>Athletics

HIGH TIER
>Acrobatics
>Sleight of Hand
>Medicine
>Survival

MID TIER
>Arcana
>Nature
>Persuasion

LOW TIER
>History
>Religion
>Animal Handling
>Deception
>Tool Proficiency
>Thieves Tools - On the list simply because you can expertise into it and I find this is usually a bad idea

SHIT TIER
>Intimidation
>Performance
>Investigation
>>
>>55337414
Profusely. But mostly only the races, class, feats and spells sections
>>
Let's make a conclusive tier list broken down by subclasses. Go.
>>
>>55337446
TWO MINUTES, op. All you had to do was wait TWO MINUTES.
Also, jeez, is that an underwhelming arcana or what.
>>
>>55337414
The DM, I, our cleric, druid/barb/fighter/warlock/everything, and one bard did. Our other bard didn't and rolled fucking d20s for stats.
>>
>>55337446
YOU'RE SHITTING ME
>>
I'm really hype for Greyhawk Pillars of AC in the new UA
>>
>>55337474
Top Tier
>Lore Wizard

High Tier
>Wizard

Shit Tier
>Everything Else
>>
I'm trying to make a magical detective. What would be a good class for it?
>>
>>55337496
It's already out you dingus.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/race-options-eladrin-and-gith
>>
File: 1502447676862.jpg (64KB, 500x541px) Image search: [Google]
1502447676862.jpg
64KB, 500x541px
>>55337446
It's not fucking nothing but it's not a hell of a lot either.
>>
>>55337446
You're kidding me with this, right?
>>
Would the Raven Queen consider marrying a mortal warlock, if he was really loyal to her and rise to immense power (level15+)?

Could you make it the warlocks goal to marry his queen, without it being 100% delusional?
>>
>>55337514
Bard or Druid. Niggas aren't expecting you to bring a talking tree and two pots of moss onto the stand to testify.
>>
File: 1422308464438.jpg (62KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
1422308464438.jpg
62KB, 800x540px
>>55337446
I like it.
>>
>>55337540

There's nothing wrong with delusional goals.
>>
File: Mako.png (202KB, 646x382px) Image search: [Google]
Mako.png
202KB, 646x382px
>>55337446
>Gith ability is literally called "innate psionics"
>Uses magic system rather than psionics
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>55337514
I did it with a divination Wizard.

Other alternatives are Crown Paladin, Knowledge Cleric, and as always Lore Bard, aka Raspberry Pi
>>
>>55337540
Of course, considering she's a write in DevPC. I'm sure the developer would enjoy a romance line fixated on her character.
>>
>>55337559
Unearthed Arcana never interact with one another.

Save for some immense exception like seeker Warlock or revised ranger
>>
File: maid.png (469KB, 758x991px) Image search: [Google]
maid.png
469KB, 758x991px
>>55337459
Would swap Medicine with Persuasion
And put Animal Handling and intimidation in Mid-Tier.

Otherwise pretty much the same for my games.
>>
>>55337559
>>55337589
Also it seems easier to just use PHB analogues for those powers anyways. Have a minor form of telekinesis? Mage hand. Psychic ability to teleport? Misty step.
>>
>>55337540
It is delusional goal, but that's fine, Thanos has the same goal and the entire infinity gauntlet storyline is just about him coming to terms with the fact that his goal is unattainable and realizing that even becoming God doesn't satisfy his yearning for his love to be reciprocated.
>>
The new UA is a fucking joke. So many other things to be touched on, and they choose to feature two races that nobody plays. Fucking discarded.
>>
>>55337446
It's better than fucking greyhawk initiative or three pillar experience that's for sure.
>>
File: IMG_3832.jpg (453KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3832.jpg
453KB, 970x545px
>>55337540
...no. By all means have him be besotted by his patron, but she's a god of death. Literally the god of accepting the end of things. Lasting relationships aren't in her purview, and she'd just not be that into him.
>>
>>55337628
At least it's not Greyhawk Initiative revised.
>>
Friendly reminder: it took them a "month" to write this.
>>
Anyone got a list with all the races, classes and subclasses introduced so far by books and supplements (but not UA)?
>>
>>55337633
At least those were funny in a slow descent into nothingness kind of way.
>>
>>55337446
A whole lotta nothing, again.

Seriously Mearls, just quit while you're ahead.
>>
>>55337459
>tier list for proficiencies
Depends on the DM
depends on the setting, too
I'll agree that perception is typically universally good, though.
>>
>>55337446
Meh.
>>
>>55337644
Don't bully Mearls and Crawford, they're really busy with all this pride parades they visit and interviews to Jezebel they give. It's hard work.
>>
>>55337514
Divination wizard, lore bard, knowledge cleric.
>>
>>55337644
I bet you the twat writes it in a day.

Their best content was released weekly, you'd think a shift to monthly release woukd improve quality, but no.
>>
What did you guys want for a UA? No food and provisions
>>
>>55337446
>we waited two weeks for special snowflake shit your DM won't allow anyway
>>
>>55337678
More wizard dubclasses since xanthars is only bringing 1 subclass.
>>
>>55337678
Food and provisions. It would be funny if the meme actually got to WotC.
>>
>>55337633
What's wrong with 3 pillars? I'm using it in my current game.
>>
>>55337602
Medicine is high tier because not only does it gather great info forensically about corpses, allowing you a psuedo back-up detect traps, it also gives you functionality in keeping people alive. Persuasion sounds beneficial considering it's a roleplaying game, but ultimately, I find the usage of the skill is either for a slight increase of bonuses (negotiation or haggling), or if it is plot related, the DM/adventure will have a backup path for players to follow. There is also the fact that most good-great DMs will allow you to circumvent it entirely if you roleplay well enough.

Animal Handling is in low tier because it's information gathering can be easily replaced by nature checks and often is, or people use it for a niche use of training an animal which I find is rarely worth the effort. The animal training can also be cheaply circumvented by merely hiring an animal trainer.

Intimidation is in shit-tier because most DMs don't properly handle it, and in some cases, even when successful on the roll, some DMs will implement a penalty, such as alerting nearby guards. The classes that get it tend to not be Charisma classes as well, meaning it often fails in general.

Not to discount your experiences or anything, just explaining why I put them where I did.

>>55337667
I take that into account. This list accounts for the majority of DMs I played under from Shit to Fantastic. The stuff at the higher end will be used very often by both good and bad DMs, while the stuff at the lower end of the spectrum will have more ways to be circumvented entirely by both DMs.
>>
>>55337711
wasting all that time when you could just use milestones
>>
Best Paladin oath?
>>
>>55337722
Treachery.
>>
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

Eladrin and Gith races UA.
>>
>>55337711
It was a one page PDF of extremely fucking obvious shit, and we waited a month for some unpaid intern to write it five minutes before the deadline.
>>
>>55337722
Oath of Previous Edition Paladin Rules
>>
>Looking at reddit's response
>"Hmm yes very flavorful yes"

Jesus christ these tards would be happy with actual cocksucking rules.
>>
>>55337742
>wanting 3.5e paladin
no thanks
>>
>>55337459
>tfw in 15 session my DM never had us roll for Insight but we rolled for Investigation 3x/session minimum
>tfw conversations rarely involved Persuasion but Intimidation was used constantly
>tfw I got a chance to use my Thieves Tools expertise every session
There's no such thing as an objective tier list for this kind of stuff, it all depends on your DM's habits and how they use them.
>>
File: Knight.jpg (168KB, 464x761px) Image search: [Google]
Knight.jpg
168KB, 464x761px
>>55337722
Devotion. No school like old school.
>>
>>55337678
-Better, clearer crafting rules
-Some more revised subclasses
-Another setting UA like what we had for Eberron a while back
-Something that would have taken a month rather than something I could poop out in a few hours
-Revised sorcerer
-More mounts
-More magic items
-Expanded list of suggestions for weapon and armor refluff
-More spells
-Revised started spells
-Fixed 4elements monk
-More epic-tier monsters
>>
>>55337750
You should be grateful for the immense manpower that's put into 5e.
>>
>>55337722
Vengeance and Ancients are really good. Oathbreaker is good if your DM allows it. Oathbreaker is also busted if your DM lets you pair it with a necromancer.
>>
>>55337754
>he thinks anyone was talking about 3.5
>>
>>55337757
I'd say Perception, Athletics and stealth are probably stronger than the rest since they have mechanics tied to them.
>>
>>55337754
2e paladins are the best paladins
>>
>>55337742
3.5 paladins were fucking horrible, why would anyone want that? You were always one step from falling and losing all your class features forever at all times, thanks to retarded alignment rules and omnipresent dickass DMs.
>>
>>55337719
I like that it's something of a balance between CR xp and milestones. Doesn't feel quite as subjective as milestones but it also isn't based entirely on murderhoboing
>>
>>55337802
>he also thinks anyone was talking about 3.5
nice oath of strawmen
>>
>>55337773
>Implying the devs don't spend 90% of their time jerking off about nerd pride
>>
>>55337773
Yes, manpower. Singular.
>>
>>55337786
>>55337811
>not specifying edition and just saying "previous edition"
it's like you struggle with autism or something
>>
File: 1412633843755.jpg (14KB, 329x321px) Image search: [Google]
1412633843755.jpg
14KB, 329x321px
>Unearthed Arcana: Black Powder and Flintlocks ft. Matt Mercer
>>
>>55337757
Like I said, I take multiple DMs into account and average the experiences. If you have one singular DM, then the better option is to metagame your specific DM on what they tend to do and include in their game. For instance, your DM seems to have an odd obsession with using investigation, whereas the norm seems to be most DMs will largely ignore it or call for perception. The list also doesn't really account for the oddball DMs that mix and match skills and stats, such as a Charisma(Investigation) check to gather information.

Also, just to mention it, insight is usually a check you ask the DM to make on your own, not one that is called for. The reason why it's so high up is because the information gathering abilities alone are almost campaign breaking, but many DMs will also allow you to stretch the definition a bit, such as getting actual insight into how a mechanical device works. A call I've been allowed by three separate DMs and have seen others do.
>>
>>55337843
>seems to have an odd obsession with using investigation
>An odd obsession with using skill checks as they're meant to be used
>>
>>55337446
Neat! I like em.
>>
>>55337446

I think I'll stick with DMG Eladrin, not that I wanted to roll one up in the first place. Gith seem decent enough though.
>>
>>55337678
Expanded Somatic Components
Alternative Stat Distribution
Random Tables for Determining Race and Class (PHB only)
Guide for Creating Backstories
Common Household Items and Their Weights
Varying Adventure Days by Season
Organizing Campaign Notes Unleshed
>>
>>55337833
Because all Paladins except 3X are valid, we're trying to be as inclusive as is reasonable here. I'm sorry 3.5 has had the biggest impact on your tabletop career, and I don't mean that in the "sorry you're an idiot" sense, but the "i actually feel bad that you grew up with a shit system and have been irrevocably damaged by it".
>>
>>55337879
Oh GOD.
>>
>>55337722
Devotion or OoA
>>
File: 2193108089812.png (88KB, 498x246px) Image search: [Google]
2193108089812.png
88KB, 498x246px
>Bonus Action
>A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

>You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Well shit, I've completely overlooked this and thought you could cast two spells at the same time as long as one was bonus action. How do I break this to my table? A lot of them love casting spells then casting another if it has the cast time of a bonus action.
>>
>>55337879
>Common Household Items and Their Weights
>tfw I'd actually want this
>>
>>55337879
>Varying Adventure Days by Season
I unironically want this one.
>>
>>55337879
>EARGCVO
what did he mean by this
>>
>>55337905
Don't blame yourself, it took me a while to find out too. They really didn't state this rule enough in the correct places.
>>
>that subclass/subrace that hasn't been made yet
What's it's name, /5eg/?
>>
General opinion seems to be that sorcerers suck.

Can anyone elaborate?
>>
>>55337905
>Remember how it seemed like your classes were really fucking good and managed to trivialize all the encounters? Turns out some of that wasn't intentional.
>>
>>55337459
Hugely DM and campaign dependent, and (especially for int skills) depends on how well your players can differentiate between player knowledge and character knowledge.

That said, this does seem broadly accurate to me. I've experimented with allowing players to 'double up' on modifiers to reward players who've taken the less used skills, with some success.

For example, a PC with both performance and persuasion making a rousing speech to the villiage could add prof + 2*cha to the roll. My group is pretty good nature, and not powergamey so it hasn't broken anything so far.
>>
>>55337935
They're fine

People spend too much time theorycrafting their perfect "build" to actually make characters
>>
>>55337934
Binder, if we're talking about "hasn't been made yet IN 5E"

>>55337935
We went over this last thread
Wizards are much better
>>
>>55337935
>Class that has the flavor of "you ARE magic"
>turns out you ain't so great with magic versus the class that has to study magic and the other one that has to WiFi his magic from some eldritch horror in space
>>
>>55337934
SWORDMAGE
>>
>>55337905
I take Matthew Mercer's homebrew rule.

>Casting two spells above first level on your turn, with one up to a maximum of 2nd level as bonus. (RAW only one non-cantrip spell is allowed on your turn, PHB page 202. For example, you could cast both Hold Person and Healing Word in the same turn under these rules. RAW the maximum you could do is a Cantrip + Healing Word.) The spells still follow the normal action economy of the casting time in the spell description - you cannot both attack and cast Dispel Magic in the same turn, as both of those are actions, but you could cast Dispel Magic and Healing Word (at level 1 or 2 only) under these rules.

If you don't want this at all, just tell them "I'm an idiot and I made a big mistake..." follow this anons idea >>55337942
>>
>>55337863
Within the 4 dozen adventures or so that I've read, I think I might have seen one or two calls for investigation skills. Even under custom-made adventurers, most DMs would rather have you actually interact with the puzzle or the area directly instead of making an investigation check. It's just a matter of rarity.

I call it odd obsession because even though he's using the game as intended, making three investigation checks per session when the norm seems to be almost never is quite odd to me. It sounds like he might have a bias against making perception checks all the time, but that part is just my conjecture.

>>55337946
>Hugely DM and campaign dependent
Again, I take that into account. I think I'm going to preface that into the text before I post it for the night crowd, provided the thread doesn't survive.
>>
File: i7HIOVX.jpg (62KB, 762x960px) Image search: [Google]
i7HIOVX.jpg
62KB, 762x960px
Hey lorefriends, am I reading the new elf wrong, or does it actually seem to actively encourage a lolrandom kind of character? Are these elves known for being out there in the lore?

>>55337905
I know some players that are not going to like this
>>
>>55337934
Swarm druid. Creepy fungus druid. Undead druid. Aberration druid. Anything related to druids that's not cookie cutter goody two shoes. For fuck's sake, paladin has THREE different evil subclasses. And paladin is supposed to be a champion of good!
>>
>>55337905
Tell them that they're fullcasters, and that they'll be fine.
>>
File: 1451542342409.png (113KB, 310x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451542342409.png
113KB, 310x400px
>>55337934
Arcane Half Caster.
Half Ogres.
>>
>>55337678
More weapons, armor and feats.
>>
>>55337934
Psionic fighter.
>>
>>55337934
Some sort of shamanistic druid, or some sort of evil druid
Some sort of ranger that isn't a spellcaster
Unarmored/lightly armored fighter
A cleric archetype that's based around standing back and casting from afar
Dimensionalist wizard

Alternatively, start taking classes from 4e and bring them over to 5th
>>
>>55337768
Yes but not high on the list with monthly UA
Always
Yes please
This would be great but they're too shit to manage it
Yes please, current one is a shitty wizard when they should be at least on par
Meh
Yes
Meh, roll it into something like a setting UA
Yes but roll it into another UA
Meh, especially with what they already gave us on this
Yes
Yes but roll into something
>>
>>55337934
>Magus/Swordmage/some class that can channel spells through weapons.

Pugilist/some strength based monk class that doesn't suck
>>
>>55337934
An Arcane Origin for Sorcerer
>>
>>55337934
Half-elf + Half-ogre
>>
>>55337966
Warlocks actually learn and cast just like Wizards, in-universe. The Charisma / Intelligence split is a mechanical thing and doesn't have any bearing on the fluff of how Warlocks learn their shit; they're still taught.

The difference is that a Wizard goes and buys his books from the Mage Book Store or sweeps the floor at the local Wizard Tower so he can sneak peeks from the masters' tomes,
while the Warlock is prostituting his soul to an eldritch sugar daddy with more magic audiobooks than God and is willing to feed that addiction in return for unspecified favors.

So when the Warlock's not listening to their magic lessons on tape while they sleep, he's out there trying to find normal books to supplement his sleep-learning, or score some space-coke for Cthulhu.
>>
>>55338069
This man gets it
>>
File: cardart_OLHH8309PB.jpg (53KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
cardart_OLHH8309PB.jpg
53KB, 700x450px
>>55338062
Circle of the land reads as pretty shamanistic to me, is there something I am missing here?
>>
My player asked me if there's anything he can do RAW that allows him to be able to summon a shitton of sword in the battlefield for him to use like from Unlimited Blade Works. I told him that's not possible with what the core rulebooks have and that we would have to homebrew something if that were the case. That said, I've said this on a whim since we were at a session so I'm gonna ask, is it possible? Can he mix some features and magic items to store a bunch of swords in some dimensional space then when it comes to it, he brings em out and starts using them? I can only think of Minor Conjuration and Pact of the Blade's Pact Weapon and probably the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond as the closest to recreating the "summoning weapons out of thin air and whacking people with it" that he is looking for.
>>
>>55337988
Elves are descended from Fey
Fey are fuckers
>>
>>55337978
That homebrew rule is really bad. Before, they could cast any spell without a level limit.
After someone cast 2 4th level fireballs in a turn, which trivialize an encounter, they nerfed it to 2nd level spell, because there's hardly any strong AoE at 2nd level.
Limiting it to 2nd level spells was their way to say "Yeah, you can do cool stuff, but not THAT cool, though."
>>
>>55337935
It's more that they suck compared to wizards, who do similar thing, but better. Wizards have broader and better spell selection, ritual casting and awesome subclasses. Socerers got... (limited) metamagic. Oh, and you can be half dragon, i guess.
>>
>>55338097
Fuck there's a spell that does just this, probably not in the way he wants because anime. Can't remember the name for the life of me
>>
I rolled all odd numbers for my Life Cleric. Should I use normal human or even then it isn't worth it?
>>
>>55337693
Elves win again.
>>
>>55338097
>>55338117

Drawmij's instant summons?
>>
>>55338097
Step 1: Bag of Holding
Step 2: Store all swords
Step 3: Toss Bag of Holding with an open mouth
Step 4: bone of my sword
>>
>>55338097
>>55338117
Blade Barrier?
>>
>>55337935
It sucks because half the time you're playing it you wish you had just been a Wizard instead. Exceptions include:
Wild Magic if your DM bends the rules to activate it more often.
Fire Dragon Origin can be okay because there's actually enough fire spells.
If you want to spread buffs twinned spells is glorious.
UA: Stormborn is fun as fuck when doing water adventures.
>>
>>55338117
Blade Barrier?
>>
>>55338097
>>55338117
>>55338142
Blade Barrier, just remembered the name
>>
File: 1412633838472.png (4MB, 1777x2513px) Image search: [Google]
1412633838472.png
4MB, 1777x2513px
>>55337991
How do you make a creepy fungus druid a subclass though?
>>
>>55338129
What matters is how high your key stats are. If they'd be high enough with the generalist array, then go for it.
>>
>>55338112
I just recommended it if the DM and Players enjoy the stronger casters.

>>55338097
>Conjure Barrage
>Blade Barrier
>Sword Burst
>>
Well, at least now we have a race that provides STR and INT.
>>
>>55338182
>http://www.wargamevault.com/product/173273/Druid-Circle--Circle-of-the-Deathbloom
Was featured on WoTC's front page.
>>
File: armstrongxsig.jpg (123KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
armstrongxsig.jpg
123KB, 1280x720px
>>55338090
>>
>>55338189
>>55338176
>>55338165
>>55338157
>>55338142
>>55338117

Wow this is actually perfect. Thanks, lads! Shame he won't be able to make that reality marble to keep his shit but hey this works.
>>
Newish DM here with a question

One of my players wanted to attempt to blind a giant he was fighting by getting up onto his back and sticking his dagger in his eye. I'm really bad at these creative solutions that aren't explicitly move + attack, how would you all have ruled on it?
>>
psionics aren't good
literally just refluff magic
you don't need an entire class for this stuff
>>
>>55338084
Wouldn't that just be half-human-quarter-ogre-quarter-elf?
>>
>>55338193
Almost like they're meant to be swordmages and eldritch knights, for some reason.
>>
>>55338315
No.
It'd be a half elf half ogre.
>>
>>55338285
lmao sure but every foe from now on will try to do the same
>>
How do I fluff a bard that isn't just the stereotypical "charming popular outgoing performer" type
>>
>>55338078
It's called Wizard.
>>
>>55338307
Divine magic isn't good, just refluff arcane magic. You don't need an entire class for this stuff.
>>
>>55338326
Skald.

Rapper.

King of Shadows who uses magic to manipulate the forces of magic as well as his foes and allies.
>>
File: file.png (534KB, 467x662px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
534KB, 467x662px
>>55338285

Use this and as for sticking the dagger in its eye, that's rather iffy since DnD's combat isn't balanced around specific body part damage. That said you can say "that's not how it works" but you can also rule that if they do a critical hit, they'll be able to do it. Alternatively, you can rule a -5 penalty to the attack roll if they want to do that. But yeah, warn them what this anon said >>55338322
>>
>level 7 party
>5 members
>want to make an enounter against a saint
>Not!Saint Martha
>would be rude not to have her mounted in a tarrasque
>realize its fucking overkill 3 times over

how does changing the size from gargantuan to huge and the stats to those of an adult white dragon sound?
>>
>>55338326
Play an old man diplomat
Use a component pouch instead of an instrument
>>
>>55338317
I meant to say that that was one gap I'm happy they've filled.
>>
>>55338285
Use the alternative rules for climbing onto bigger monsters (Page 271 of the DMG) then follow the alternative Injury rules on page 272 of the DMG, make it so it only happens on a crit and on that crit they follow the Lose an Eye rules.
>>
>>55338272
Mirage Arcane is the closest I can think of to a reality marble. Unfortunately it's full illusion as opposed to substituting reality with your own.
>>
>>55338307
sorcerers aren't good
literally just refluff wizard
>>
>>55338346
>Rapper.
kys
>>
>>55338369
An Adult White Dragon is already deadly to a 5-man level 7 party. Throw in St. Martha it'll just be overkill.
>>
>>55338442
kiss
>>
>>55338326
Playwright. You're just a writer, others do the performing.
>>
>>55338330
But anon, there is in fact no such thing as "divine magic" in 5e, and Clerics do indeed use the very same mojo power as Wizards, they just also have all those quirky Domain abilities, Channel Divinity options and full spell list access.
>>
Wish people would stop sucking off WotC and acting like they work hard.
>>
>>55338445
saint martha, as a saint, would be praying on top of the dragon/tarrasque, not fighting herself

although, the party is encouraged to NOT fight the creature directly and instead think of more clever solutions
>>
>>55338499
dubs confirm
>>
>>55337446
So... Planescape?
>>
>>55338519
Perhaps.

What's the context? One time I did an adult dragon fight, it was when the PCs were at the walls of a fortress and had to man balistas while the dragon was unleashing havoc at the chaotic battle below. Then it would fly and burn the battlements in which the players had to find cover.
>>
>>55338272
Reality Marble could be done as a demiplane/maze.
>>
File: Phoneshop-ep-3-Pay-as-you-Grow5.jpg (263KB, 2835x1876px) Image search: [Google]
Phoneshop-ep-3-Pay-as-you-Grow5.jpg
263KB, 2835x1876px
>>55337459
>Insight and Medicine more important than Investigation and Arcana

Uh... okay
>>
>>55338307
anger isn't good
literally just refluff fighter
>>
>>55338319
An Ogre-Elf!?
>>
File: 1492032830575.jpg (429KB, 1589x646px) Image search: [Google]
1492032830575.jpg
429KB, 1589x646px
>>55338582
>tfw to intelligent too use int skills
>>
>>55338611
>Only class that needs INT is Wizard and sometimes Fighter.
Really dropped the ball on that one.
>>
Ill be honest I feel 5e has too many classes that compete.

Some classes should have been subclasses instead of full blown classes.

Sorc and Warlock could have been merged
Druid and ranger merged
Ect
>>
>>55338547
>What's the context?
do you REALLY wanna know?

its an ERPG campaign that parodies castlevania. One of the bosses, situated on the castle spires/heights, is the corrupted saint martha, who summons the tarrasque with dragon stats, but because it can't fly the creature is at a really heavy terrain disadvantage with all the spires/towers and small bridges, having to jump to move. The party is supposed to completely ignore the creature and go directly for saint martha most likely in a sexual way like "fuck the demon out of her"
>>
>>55337602
From the thumbnail I thought this was a sheep girl in a very full diaper. I'm not even into that, the internet has ruined me.
>>
>>55338677

It will never be as bad as Pathfinder's archetypes.

>what if every class had a gun-wielding subclass?
>what if every class had a rogue subclass?
>what if every class had a monk subclass?
>>
>>55338636
Don't worry, we will get two more Q4 2018
>>
File: bait too much.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bait too much.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
>>55338677
>>
>>55337934
Unarmored fighter
>>
File: 5ca.jpg (260KB, 570x558px) Image search: [Google]
5ca.jpg
260KB, 570x558px
>>55338695
>From the thumbnail I thought this was a sheep girl in a very full diaper. I'm not even into that, the internet has ruined me.
Sure buddy, totally believe you on that one
>>
>>55337678
>Feats that grow based on character level
>More Feats
>More Spells
>Sorcerer rework
>Monk rework
>And admittance that any class with the word "lore" in it is broken and should be banned
>>
File: 1561641.png (431KB, 624x447px) Image search: [Google]
1561641.png
431KB, 624x447px
>>55338689
your Martha better be pic related
>>
>>55338705
I hope not, still though, Sorc could have been merged with monk, or been a wizard subclass.

Ranger and druid could have been one class.
>>
>>55337905
Has it negatively effected your game in any way? if the players are still being challenged, tell them what the actual rule is for the future, but allow them to continue as you have been.
>>
File: 113164613.jpg (93KB, 876x783px) Image search: [Google]
113164613.jpg
93KB, 876x783px
What stat block from MM/Volo's that matches this motherfucker?
>>
File: thas rite.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
thas rite.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>55338759
I'm not sure if to have her as an elf or human
>>
>>55338582
Insights' ability to detect lies is so useful in every single interaction with any NPC you have that DM's have to counter balance around it, because the ability to detect lies will change how you handle situations and prevent yourselves from getting trapped. That alone would make it high tier, but it extends into god tier because it is surprisingly easy to talk a DM into using other interpretations of insight, such as insight on a situation, or insight on the workings of a mechanical device, which I've been allowed to do by 3 separate DMs and have seen others successfully use.

Medicine is mentioned in this reply here: >>55337718

Investigation is so low because after reading 4 dozen+ adventures, there is a disproportionately low amount of calls to make investigation checks in general, and most DMs I play with tend to almost never call for it, and when they do, it's usually after a perception check. Most DMs I find would rather have you engage with the puzzle on a narrative level rather than have you roll investigation on it. There's also a very, very low chance that failing an investigation check will put you in a worse situation than before, whereas missing a perception check can have you miss out on entire sections of maps or get ambushed.

Arcana is hit or miss. It becomes much more useful if your DM allows you to use it to detect magic, but I find that most DMs will, at best, only allow you to detect if there is magic to detect, and detect magic as a ritual spell is infinitely more useful in that regard. The information gathering aspects of Arcana will usually have the DM put a back door plan behind it so if you fail the check, you'll have other means of finding the information you need.
>>
>>55338801
>sexual themed campaign
>not making her an elf

anon, it's in the stars. this is literally h-doujin material
>>
>>55338689
>erpg
So fuck the dragon, what's the problem?
>>
File: Weavetouched 4.0.pdf (638KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Weavetouched 4.0.pdf
638KB, 1x1px
>>55338078
Don't mind me, just shilling!
>>
File: b14.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
b14.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
>>55338840
>You guys go on ahead! I'll subdue the dragon!
>>
>>55338840
I really wanted to, you don't know how much
but
martha summons a tarasque, not a dragon, those do not have enough intelligence to be seduced
But you have given me an awesome idea that I can surely bullshit: the feelings of the saint and the tarrasque are connected, so by fucking the dragon they get to also affect the woman, it might work
>>
>>55337459
Investigation, deception, history, religion and arcana are high/god tier in my campaigns. Intimidation and performance are not total shit in them, either.
>>
>>55338873
>not have enough intelligence to be seduced
Polymorph into a she-dragon in heat.
>>
by the way, about the erpg campaign, I'm kinda unsure of what to make the final boss, who is supposed to be "the dark lord", I'm not sure if to make it:
-a vampire loli
-a charismatic devil lord
-a futa demon
-A pair of brother-sister twins that have perfect bodies
-a pair of twin girls
-something else

thoughs?

>>55338899
>polymorph into dragon at level 7
>>
>>55338892
When does performance come up in your campaigns?
>>
>>55338918
Leave this thread
>>
>>55338918
Wizard gets 1 lvl 4 spell slot at lvl 7. Make it count.
>>
>>55338873
No half-measures

turn the tarrasque into a tarrasque-girl and get on with it
>>
Hey /5eg/. I rolled an animated shield for my party at the end of an upcoming dungeon crawl through a mine that's filled with rust monsters. I was wondering what you guys thought about anyone being allowed to use it, not just those that are proficient in shields.
It'd be great for the whole party, since the sorcerer has low AC (poor bastard didn't take shield or mage armor), the rogue isn't well-optimized and doesn't sneak attack often, and both the barbarian and the paladin use 2-handed weapons.

I also want to make it a boisterous,
sentient item containing dwarf soul trapped by a hag he pissed off , so I feel like the enhanced autonomy there would make the animation work a little better.

Thoughts?
>>
>>55338918
brother-sister for those incest gay orgies
>>
>>55338319
Ogres don't mate with elves. They eat them. Stated very clearly in the MM.
>>
>>55338954
Giant women are my magical realm. DO IT
>>
File: Gunslinger.png (925KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Gunslinger.png
925KB, 816x1056px
r8
>>
>>55338873
Big dumb barbarian broad named tara, give her swallow whole. Somebody at your table will jerk off to it.
>>
>>55338954
>tarrasque-girl
oh boooi
>>
>>55338992
>surprise round
>5e
>>
>>55338992
no such thing as surprise round monami
>>
>>55339011
>>55339024
Some gms still use it.
>>
>>55339036
And some GMs still use 5 ft steps. Get that shit out of here.
>>
>>55339011
>impling there is a DM who doesn't bend the rules to add suprise rounds
>>
>>55338636
The primary reason INT checks suffer is because they're heavily reliant on the DM not only for their usefulness, but for the situations in which they can even be used. Too many people are too focused on combat. When you have a DM who hides hints in the description of the area, int checks can give you have an easier time with encounters. There are other ways to make it useful, particularly in city intrigue and dungeon crawling, but again it's incredibly reliant on the DM.
>>
File: oh boy.jpg (57KB, 188x220px) Image search: [Google]
oh boy.jpg
57KB, 188x220px
>>55338954
>there it is, the legendary tarrasque that saint martha had tamed
>but there is something odd
>the dark magic of the castle has transformed the creature
>not it looks like a giant womans standing 7 meters tall with scaly arms and legs, spikes on her back and a powerful tail
>more odd is the fact that she doesn't seem interested in devouring the party members
>at least not in the literal sense
>roll init
>>55338985
you fucking bet
>>
File: 1492076935009.gif (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1492076935009.gif
3MB, 800x450px
>>55338985
My nigga
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.13.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.13.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
Hey, are we doing this?
>>
>>55339058
make her look a bit confused and rather apathetic for that tough exterior only to realize she has a squishy interior where she gets embarrased
>>
>>55337446
...I have to say, I'm very much not impressed.

The Decadent Mastery feature doesn't feel at all appropriate for the traditionally highly xenophobic and racial supremacist githyanki.

Monastic Training is just... lazy as hell.

The "Gith Psionics" racial traits are underwhelming.

Fuck it, I think MY Gith statblocks are more interesting and flavorful than this!

>>55337648
The 1d4chan page on D&D 5e has been listing every UA and sourcebook class, subclass and race since it came out:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_5th_Edition
>>
>>55339011
>>55339024
So, just to check - the round during which some creatures are surprised counts as "the first round of combat"?

>If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action
on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a
reaction until that turn ends. A m em ber of a group can
be surprised even if the other m em bers aren’t.

So maybe just word the feature as

>if you have not acted during the combat
>>
>>55339071
>wish fulfillment the class
>waaaaaah why doesn't EK or bladelock get the best of everything with no weaknesses
>>
>>55338924
When someone hopes to draw other people's attention away from something, giving a lecture, standing out in a crowd, having sex, protecting your friends from forced March exhaustion...
>>
>>55339071
>3 features at lvl 2

Nah

typical bloatshit
>>
Where were you when you realized Wizard will always be the best class
>>
ToA pdf where?
>>
>>55339135
When I opened a book for the first time and saw all the utility spells.
>>
>>55338966
I don't see a reason not to.
>>
>>55338775
I wholeheartedly agree. We could definitely drop the class list down, and expand on archetypes or available options for each class in a way that makes much more sense than it does now. Cleric / paladin, ranger / druid, bard / warlock, etc.
>>
>>55337988
It sort of depends. Back in AD&D, they were Chaotic Good Exemplars (you know, angels/fiends), so they could kind of be like this.

In 4e, they were a lot different. Need to grab my 4e corebook... Ah, no, 4e Eladrin were basically the "eerily calm" elven archetype and were known for being emotionally detached, inhumanly patient, thoughtful, and observant.
>>
>>55338992
>frighten and deafen
>at will
>no DC
>Just run up to someone, shoot, then disengage
>Do full damage while doing this
>>
Anyone here played a Rune Scribe? I'm thinking about trying it out but I'd like to hear what other people have to say about it first.
>>
>>55339071
>yfw this class could be perfectly emulated by a Paladin oath that gets an arcane oath spells list + an option to make their smite do elemental damage
>>
>>55339096
Alright, thanks!
>>
>>55339136
>>
File: 1504809789831.jpg (13KB, 272x153px) Image search: [Google]
1504809789831.jpg
13KB, 272x153px
>>55339206
>>
So I'm playing a fairly casual game with noobs and a forgiving DM, I already have the stats (started OP for sure) for it so what I'm asking is that I should definitely multiclass my primal path barbarian with druid for the sick ass flavor right?
>>
File: good people card.jpg (41KB, 336x476px) Image search: [Google]
good people card.jpg
41KB, 336x476px
>>55339206
>>
>>55339110
What do you think should be weakened? I know that it's too versatile, and efficient, but you have to balance design, play/readability, and power.
>>55339123
It's an arcane variant paladin.
>>
>>55339206
Listen here you lil shit
>>
>>55339206
Nice, thanks anon!
:^)
>>
>>55337446
...You know what? Screw it: anons, comparing my Gith to WoTC's Gith, which version sucks the least?

Githyanki
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Blades of Gith: You have Proficiency in the Greatsword. When making melee attacks with a Greatsword, you can use your Intelligence modifier to determine your damage modifier.
Mind over Matter: You can cast the Mage Hand cantrip, although your version is invisible. Additionally, you always count as having a running start when making Jump checks.
Hate Breaks All Shackles: You have Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Stunned effects, and on saving throws to end those effects.

Githzerai
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Graceful As Thought: When you Dash, you can ignore the effects of non-magical difficult terrain. You also have Advantage on Acrobatics checks.
Inertia Armor: When not wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Wisdom modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
The Knowing of Self: You have Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Stunned effects, and on saving throws to end those effects.
>>
>>55338918
Female requests the heroes to go on quests to foil big bads plans. Their successes are bittersweet, stopping the obvious plan but inadvertently helping something bad happen. Big bad is always referred to as male. Eventually it's revealed the female sending them on quests is actually the big bad, who was referred to as male because futa. This whole time she's been using them to stop the red herrings, using them to obtain or get access to things she wouldn't have been able to without their attempts at "doing good".
>>
File: foushan.jpg (277KB, 727x1000px) Image search: [Google]
foushan.jpg
277KB, 727x1000px
Decided to name my not!asian cleric Fou Shan and found this art online.
Am I memes yet?
>>
>>55338924
Bard uses it as distraction / to get into a noble court and listen to rumors / to inconspicuously signal the others / impress certain monsters (a giant decided to let the players pass because of his performance)

I agree that it's a niche skill, but it can be utilized if you're creative.
>>
>>55339050
Here ya go.

>>55339173
Until the end of the turn. It's honestly weaker than what swashbuckler gets.
>>
>>55339226
You could pick land druid and match up your storm herald territory. Not only do you channel the magical powers of your homeland, you emit it when you rage.
If you ask me, arctic circle and tundra herald would work best together. Operate as a caster and then fuck shit up in melee when the going gets tough. It's pretty MAD, but it could work since your DM is forgiving.
Hell, see if he'll let you have a set of medium armor that's reflavored to be never-melting ice to fit with the druid nonmetal requirement.
>>
File: Gunslinger.png (919KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Gunslinger.png
919KB, 816x1056px
>>55339263
whoops
>>
File: 28q2ayydrqkz.jpg (69KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
28q2ayydrqkz.jpg
69KB, 768x1024px
>>55338899
>heat
Now you're talking my language.

>>55338918
Gonna go with Vampire Loli
>>
>>55339250
How is that guy asian?
>>
I am DMing in two hours my weekly game, today we (might) close the first Arc, they'll face the first villain. Unless they run in circles like they did last session and do not get to him.

I am excited, the encounter I have planned is going to be very hard but they have intel and I think that they can do it. After this session a lot of things will make sense to them if they decide to properly loot the area where the villain lives.
>>
>>55338069
>>55338090
>>55338254
>>
File: ToA.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
ToA.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55339206
>>55339136

well, there's a low quality scan i scrounged up but i'll get back to it to a better one
>>
>>55339273
>guns
Nah
>>
File: N'djatwa.jpg (832KB, 1066x1383px) Image search: [Google]
N'djatwa.jpg
832KB, 1066x1383px
>>55338983
>>
How would you play a Lizardfolk?
>>
>>55339315
There's literally nothing wrong with guns as they are in the DMG. Early firearms are super useful for classes without extra attacks but trash for classes with extra attacks. There's no better way to do pike and shot era.
>>
>>55339308

There has to be a way to make a non-monk unarmed fistfighter that doesn't involve "ki" or anything resembling it.
>>
>>55339188
You still heal, cure the sick, and hunt undead. That's a theurge.
>>
>>55339308
>Tfw DM won't let me run it
If only my man
>>
>>55339339
I wouldn't
>>
>>55339315
If you're in an era where full plate and rapiers exist you're also in an era in which guns exist.
>>
>>55339350
There is, but it's shit since you're forever stuck with d4 damage die.
>>
>>55339370
d4 non-magic damage dice.
>>
>>55339339
>con +2 race
Probably not.
>>
So I'm running a campaign setting and my table agreed to put in a Dinosaur-humanoid race in the setting so I've been looking around for Saurian ideas since I cant' seem to have a good lick of sense when I balance. I saw this in the DMGuild though and I wonder if this is any good? Any suggestions though? Or should I just reskin some of the races from the core books?
>>
>>55337934
A martial Commander/Leader that doesn't suck
>>
>>55338992
>>55339108
Yes. In 5e there's nothing officially called a "surprise round". It's just the first round of combat. Whoever or whatever is surprised cannot make reactions that round until after their turn, and on their turn they can do nothing.

I'm not sure how he meant for it to be, but I'm guessing he wanted something along the lines of "During the first round of combat, if a creature takes an action or bonus action before your turn and you are not surprised, you may use your reaction to draw and fire a firearm of your choice with the following benefits:"
>>
>>55339401

Why not just lizardmen? Can't imagine how much different a dinosaur man would be from a lizard man.
>>
>>55339401
You can use the Lizardmen from Volo's Guide.
>>
>>55337934
unarmored priestly divine caster
>>
>>55339247
>+2 Dex
>Greatsword proficiency
Are you retarded?
>When making melee attacks with a Greatsword, you can use your Intelligence modifier to determine your damage modifier.
>Separate bonuses to attack and damage
Shit
>You can cast the Mage Hand cantrip, although your version is invisible
Arcane Trickster feature as a racial? Shit.
>>
>>55339350
Make a campaign setting where melee weapons, armor and magic have yet to be invented.
>>
>>55339350
bring back unarmed strike damage increases, and give them lots of abilities that make disarming/tripping/grappling etc better. No points, no resources, everything is at will. Maybe also make them considered a different size category for the purpose of calculating all that junk.
>>
>>55339403
Something like what the mantle of command gives Mystics? Or Battle Master maneuvers?

>>55339401
Try lizardfolk.

>>55339350
You have to have a way of fist being magic at some point which has a tendency to relay back to some type of points system.
>>
>>55339386
Yes
>>
Can GFB/Boomblade be cast with natural weapons?
>>
>>55339456
>You have to have a way of fist being magic at some point
Magic brass knuckles
>>
File: tortuga.jpg (83KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
tortuga.jpg
83KB, 800x1067px
>>55339339
Playing a lizardfolk land druid at the moment, it's pretty sweet.

Just remember a few things:
- can't show feelings
- tribal mindset
- you could eat most people you'll interact with without much second thoughts, or at least their friends/families, which makes them "pets" more than anything
- don't let all that get in the way of being a "nice" person (through sharing resources and acts of selflessness) or an interesting character (with proper motives and complex thoughts).
>>
>>55339430
Githyanki had bonuses to Dexterity in literally every edition prior to 4th, which made them a Con/Int race.

Greatsword is literally the most iconic racial weapon of the githyanki, as important to them as the bow is to the elf or the axe is to the dwarf.

Invisible Mage Hands are literally the exact same thing that the UA Gith both have.
>>
File: Brass Knuckles.png (162KB, 668x330px) Image search: [Google]
Brass Knuckles.png
162KB, 668x330px
>>55339475
Good answer!
>>
>>55339428
>build cleric with high DEX
>take level in Monk
>gain unarmored defense
>???
>profit
>>
>>55337934
Zen Archer
>>
>>55339473
>material component: weapon
You tell me.
>>
>>55339494
I know Greatswords are iconic Githyanki weapons, but it doesn't make any sense to give them a Dex bonus when they won't be using it at all for their intended weapon, previous editions be damned.

>Invisible Mage Hands are literally the exact same thing that the UA Gith both have
Are you fucking retarded? Can you read? They get Mage Hand but it's not fucking invisible you illiterate autist. That's exclusively an Arcane Trickster ability.
>>
>>55339533

zen archer and some kind of holy archer pls
>>
>>55339547
Aren't natural weapons, well, weapons?
>>
>>55339533
Kensai
>>
>>55339350
2W Fighter and refluff weapons into fist weapons such as metal knuckles, cesti, gauntlets, baghnakhs, claws, etc. Match the damage types with what makes sense.
>>
>>55339550
What is a Dex bonus + proficiency with greatsword + the ability to use Dex to wield their greatsword? Wouldn't that be far more appropriate than shoehorning a Strength bonus onto a race that never had it before?
>>
>>55339583
>What is a Dex bonus + proficiency with greatsword + the ability to use Dex to wield their greatsword?
It's fucking retarded, that's what it is.
>Wouldn't that be far more appropriate than shoehorning a Strength bonus onto a race that never had it before?
No. Now get over your grognard nostalgia and stop trying to overcomplicate something as simple as using a god damn greatsword.
>>
>>55339557
It's pretty easy to make paladin work at range.
Just nerf something in their toolkit like d4 or d6 on holy smites instead, and there you go.

Or play a refluffed ranger. I mean, it's not rocket science.
>>
>>55339559
They're non weapons that can make weapon attacks.
>>
Should I give level 7 players +2 weapons by now or are their +1 weapons good enough.
>>
File: QTiFCeY.jpg (51KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
QTiFCeY.jpg
51KB, 640x360px
>Gonna be playing a Barbearian in an upcoming campaign
>Using a warhammer because I like look in my mind
>Decided to pick up a shield because why not
>Just realized with shield master can reduce damage to zero if pass Dex save
>Only take half if I fail
This is going to be fun
>>
>>55339610
What's fucking retarded about it, you stupid ignorant cunt?
>>
>>55339635
i'm calling the police
>>
Just so I'm clear, for effects that say "when a creature enters its affect for the first time on a turn" ala Spirit Guardians, Cloud of Daggers or Create Bonfire, if I Thorn Whip them into the area, they take the damage right? Same as if I shove them in/grapple and drag them in?
>>
>>55339633
Up to you. I ended up giving my party the Sun Blade from Curse of Strahd at level 5, and while it's made the Ranger in my group pretty powerful, everyone seems to be enjoying it.
>>
>>55339635
Is that how that works? I would have assumed you took 1/4 the original damage
>>
>>55339646
It's overcomplicating something incredibly simple for no reason other than "MUH OLDER EDITONS DI DIT" you mongoloid. It's completely counter to what 5e is supposed to be.
>>
>>55339668
For shits and giggles I gave a newbie group to DnD the Deck of Many Things on their first session at Lost Mines when they defeated the bugbear boss in the goblin cave. It was amongst the treasure hoard.

Their first draw was the Knight card. I think I'm gonna enjoy this umpteenth Lost Mines run.
>>
File: AcroRd32_2017-09-11_15-25-44.png (143KB, 468x117px) Image search: [Google]
AcroRd32_2017-09-11_15-25-44.png
143KB, 468x117px
>>55339669
The only reason to make that assumption is if you literally could not read
>>
>>55339677
"You can use Dex for Greatswords instead of Str" is complicated? Seriously? You clearly have never actually PLAYED anything other than 5e.

As for running counter to 5e... dude, the game sells itself AS "the nostalgia edition". The whole point of this edition is that it's supposed to be a "more accessible" version of AD&D.
>>
>>55339666
Yes. Also they have to be the one moving into it, even if they're shoved. If the field can move, or be placed on them it doesn't do damage until there's some kind of trigger at the start of their turn, or if they're moved into it.
>>
File: 1458062818535.jpg (761KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1458062818535.jpg
761KB, 750x1000px
You guys are good at coming up with characters, right? Can you give me some ideas for characters with the noble background? Any race, any class.
>>
>>55339456
>Something like what the mantle of command gives Mystics? Or Battle Master maneuvers?
something like purple dragon knight but not shit.
>>
>>55339699
You should try hitting them with the Tarokka Deck of Many Things.
>>
>>55339717

Right, so EB'ing someone into a Moonbeam or Flaming Sphere won't do anything, but right into a Blade Barrier or Wall of Fire and they're taking damage, yeah?
>>
>>55339715
>"You can use Dex for Greatswords instead of Str" is complicated?
Along with the "use intelligence mod for damage" which replaces Dex anyway? Yes, it's overcomplicated and stupid. Just fucking use Strength you autistic retard.
>>
>>55339723
What's the setting you want to put him in?
>>
>>55339517
The point is to NOT be heavily armored. I want a class for squishy white mages.
>>
>>55339473
Yes. Natural weapons are weapons, the spell requires a weapon.

Unarmed Strikes are weapon attacks that don't rely on weapons it's confusing but it bears out. A weapon is one thing, a weapon attack is like a separate other
>>
>>55339715
>"You can use Dex for Greatswords instead of Str" is complicated?
Not that guy but that sounds broken as shit. GWM Battlemaster is already pretty strong, making them single ability dependent would get dumb fast.
>>
>>55339652
I honestly didn't set out to make something like this, just liked the idea of using a warhammer to crush skulls with, and figured might as well grab a shield. Then when I mentioned it last night in a thread someone mentioned grabbing a shield while I'm at it.

>>55339669
Nope use your reaction to take 0 damage
>>
>>55339723
A travelling Bard Merchant from a well established merchant house whose wanderlust has gotten the better of him in his younger years. He tries to make connections for his family in towns and cities he visits, and tries to build a name for himself so when he settles down he'll have a wide array of experiences to pull from, as well as personal contacts all over the country/world/solar system.
>>
>>55339742
>Right, so EB'ing someone into a Moonbeam or Flaming Sphere won't do anything
The post you're responding to said literally the opposite of that

>>55339756
>The point is to NOT be heavily armored
The post you're responding to literally says to take a Monk dip for UNARMORED Defense.

I swear, 5eg just cannot fucking read today.
>>
Thoughts on implementing casting times, or spell failure to balance casters vs. martials?
>>
File: thanks.jpg (13KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
13KB, 225x224px
>>55339312
>>55339206
>>
>>55339753
It's Forgotten Realms
>>
>>55339787
At that point it'd be less work and probably more fun to just play a different system.
>>
>>55339787
>Thoughts on implementing casting times
???
>spell failure
Fuck off with this bullshit
>>
File: moonbeam.png (31KB, 507x435px) Image search: [Google]
moonbeam.png
31KB, 507x435px
>>55339742
They're being moved into it, so it does damage. They consider 'moving into a zone' being you moving into it, willing or not, not it moving into you. There's no relativity.
>>
>>55339633
+X weapons are boring. Give out other weapons with different effects
>>
>>55339776
>I swear, 5eg just cannot fucking read today.
sorry, it's late here

>The post you're responding to literally says to take a Monk dip for UNARMORED Defense.
What I meant to say was: the point is to NOT have a high AC easily. I want a divine squishy full caster.
>>
>>55339776

So I was wrong on the wording of Moonbeam, but not mistaken about Flaming Sphere. RAW, shoving someone into a Flaming Sphere shouldn't do anything, as it doesn't have the "when a creature enters its space" clause.

>>55339808

Alright, good. I wanna make a Tomelock who picks up Thornwhip so I can pull and push people into hazards.
>>
>>55339814
>I want a divine squishy full caster
What's stopping you from playing a Cleric that just doesn't wear armor?
>>
My friend wants to go Bladelock. Got me curious in them cause I remember 5eg always going full-skub on the build so I wanna know exactly why does it cause such talk? I've read on it and I guess it looks pretty fun to play but why does it cause so much debate over it? Does it break games? Is it those "Why waste your time on that when you can just roll superior <class>"? I don't seem to understand the mixed bag reactions toward it.
>>
>>55339428
I want this too. Theurge is as close as it gets.
>>
>>55339723
A douchebag rogue aristocrat who knows how to play the game well and is attempting to secure a place in a world of backstabbing, political power plays, and extravagant fanciness. Inside your circles you have a sharp tongue, and nobody can prove your dagger is sharper. On the outside, you're a dashing hero using his adventures as a way to secure allies through fear and favor.
>>
>>55339814
Favored Soul, don't use mage armor or shield?
>>
>>55339633
I'd say stick with +1 weapons, honestly.
>>55339756
Just refluff one of the domains, I guess? See if your DM would let you trade the Life Domain's heavy armor proficiency for another skill proficiency or something and then just stick with priestly vestments or light armor. It's not perfect, and I think I see what you're getting at in terms of what you feel is missing, but DnD as a system doesn't really account for having low AC without being a walking nuke as a tradeoff.
>>
>>55339844
>why do we need the monk what stops you from just playing a fighter without armor or weapons
come on anon
>>
>>55339666
>>55339717
>>55339742
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016
To clarify what second anon said, creating the spell effect on top of them or moving the spell effect on top of them will not trigger the damage. If the creature is inside the area of effect at the start of its own turn, it'll trigger the effect. If the creature is moved into the area of the effect, whether by another spell or a grapple drag, it triggers the effect. The trigger can only happen once per turn. So if you did something like mind controlling them and walking them in and out of the area multiple times in one turn, they'd only trigger the effect once.
>>
>>55339889
Because fighters don't get any Monk features that make a good unarmed, unarmored fighter.
If you want to be a divine full caster that doesn't wear armor, then you can be a cleric that doesn't fucking wear armor. There are no special features you're missing out on that would warrant an entirely new class or archetype.
>>
Alright peeps, how are my 4 lvl4 PCs supposed to not die from the 4 vampire thralls in the coffin maker's attic (Curse of Strahd spoiler)
>>
>>55339845
It's dependent on 3 different ability scores (CON, DEX, CHA) right out of the gate, 4 if you want to use anything other than a rapier. Couple that with the fact that the other two pact options have HUGE utility while blade pact is just "you can fight in melee now, but you'd be doing more damage spamming eldritch blast anyways" and you've got a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>55339870
Doesn't the Celestial Warlock get neither Mage Armor nor shield?
>>
>>55339914
rebalance the encounter if you think it's too lethal for them, anon.
>>
>>55339936
but i secretly want to kill them

just not crush them :^)
>>
>>55339914
let them learn something about vampires and attempt to stake them in their sleep for a 1 hit kill.
>>
>>55339870
That's what I've been using so far. Just would be cool to have a caster with actual mechanics backing up his divine status.

>>55339849
I prefer favored soul

>>55339912
>just ignore your class features bro it's cool bro just ignore that many cleric spells are intentionally touch spells bro I know what I'm talking about bro
>>
>>55339914
By having warning beforehand and by playing smart

>Some of them get staked on round 1
>Some of them get turned by the cleric
>Some of them get pinned by the druid water shit
>Some of them get cut to bits

The game is hela dangerous anon, they should be keenly aware of this by level 4
>>
>>55339946
>secretly want to kill them
Why?
>>
>>55339963
>just ignore your class features bro it's cool bro just ignore that many cleric spells are intentionally touch spells bro I know what I'm talking about bro
Are you legitimately autistic? Clerics do not have ANY features that require you to be armored. You can cast touch spells just fine. Stop begging for special features to cater to your snowflake character idea.
>>
File: 5156416461631.jpg (227KB, 897x867px) Image search: [Google]
5156416461631.jpg
227KB, 897x867px
Shit so I'm running Storm King's Thunder and made an off-hand flavor description that one of the cities have a tournament and my players took that small detail and ran with it saying they want to join to prove their strength that they can face the rise of the giants.

They're done with Triboar from chapter 2 so they're in the chapter 3 part where it's a big sandbox and it looks like this is their plan of action. I was hoping they'll do some things but I imagine spending time in the city with the tourney will take us some time and I was thinking of tying some of SKT's plotlines to the tourney to cut a lot of shit. So far I have these ideas:

>Harshnag, being part of Force Greys, is nearby the tourney venue for reasons that he is seeking people worthy to his cause in going to the Eye of the All-Father
>The Kraken Society are at large in the city trying to thwart the tourney proper (since the society is written to be somewhat affiliated with the BBEG, I think this sounds like a good way to connect them in and the players had a run-in with them in Yartar)
>Tourney has a prize and perhaps it's an old relic worth lots but it turns out it's one of the relics from the spirit mounds. Maybe Harshnag is there cause he knows it's key to the Eye. PLayers can win (or steal it if they happen to lose or not join the tourney) it cutting the fetch quest portion of chapter 8.
>I can perhaps drop lore points here and there
>Many players met some NPCs since their travels and enjoyed who they met. I think a tourney arc is a good place for them to meet these NPCs again.
>Tourney is a straight rip-off from Trial of the Grand Crusade in WoW where they face off beasts of the Savage Frontier
>Divided on this but I think the tourney should be interrupted in the finals where giants come in (thinking of making them Fire Giants since I like the mecha plotline of theirs and my players love that shit)

Any SKT plotlines that I'm missing to tie into it?
>>
>>55337414
As an alchemist artificer, does using the satchel count as an attack?
I'm in a debate with another player over this, since I've been using the satchel instead of moving on some turns, then still attacking an enemy in front.
If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but the page just says "You may take an action."
>>
If I cast major image is it stuck in a 120' sphere from where it was originally cast or can I move it further away from its original cast point?

Do I have to be within the illusions 20' cube or do I need only be within 120 feet of it to move it?
>>
>>55340107
I think you try to tie the tourney to way too much shit. Just take a few things like Harshnag and the relic and leave the rest be. Otherwise its almost too convinient (almost all plotlines have something to do with the tourney the players chose to enter?) and feels railroaded.

This part of the adventure is supposed to introduce the players to more characters and quests. It's supposed to free them of the feeling of railroading, so let them have their fun before they meet Harshnag.
>>
>>55340175
each turn you have
- a reaction (irrelevant)
- a movement (up to your speed)
- a bonus action
- an action

features saying "you may take an action" refers to the latter.
so, not, you cannot, thank gods.
>>
>>55337613
That's mostly because PSIONICS IS JUST MAGIC WITH A DIFFERENT NAME PEOPLE.

YOU'RE ALL SHEEP
>>
>>55340215
Okay, thanks dude
>>
>>55340214
True but I'm trying to accommodate the fact some of my players will start working abroad by December and with how timezones are he has admitted that it's not looking good in our DnD time that even Roll20 is almost out of the picture. The table's wish is to at least reach the conclusion to SKT. But you are right, I shouldn't railroad them too much but perhaps I can still add them and it'll be up to the players to figure stuff out. That said, you do make a good point I just forgot with the sandbox nature of chapter 3, I panicked when they said they'll go for a tourney and ignore everything else. (This is the kidn of group that takes their time in sessions too)
>>
>>55340175
It's not an attack, but it does take your action, which attacking also does
>>
>>55340215
Don't forget you also have an object interaction
>>
Can someone help me stat a blade made from a sphere of annihilation?

A sphere was created in an accident with ancient technology, the PCs stabilized it and it's befome a tiny little crack in reality that's held in place by a rune.

One of my players wanted to make a dagger with it by tying the rune to a hilt, and while I liked the Idea I'm not sure what it could do.

I was thinking perhaps it dealt 1d4 force damage and treated enemy armour as 1d10+DEX, but it seems a bit boring and kinda weak for a level 10 party.
>>
>>55338992

>Nimble Fingers
This really implies that you should be dual wielding, even though dual wielding rules only apply to melee attacks.

>Quickdraw
Overlaps a bit with Sharpshooter.

>Point Blank
Deafened AND Frightened EVERY attack with NO SAVE?

>Fan the Hammer
Suddenly you're deafening and frightening 4 enemies/round, about 9 times per day. Also goes a bit against the rogue design philosophy of mostly not having resources to keep track of.
>>
>>55340181
It has to remain within 120 ft of you.

Answer to both questions
>>
>>55338992
I prefer this.
>>
File: da good succ.png (69KB, 372x108px) Image search: [Google]
da good succ.png
69KB, 372x108px
hey guys what happens when a moon druid under wild shape gets reduced to 0 hit points by pic related?
>>
New thread:
>>55340396
>>55340396
>>55340396
>>55340396
>>
>>55340274
I can understand where you are coming from with the time constraints. But adding more to the tourney than necessary will just draw out the adventure in the long run as you open more plot points.

But I have to admit that introducing Harshnag here could be really cool. Maybe he could even join the tourney himself, and players could get rekt by him in the finals. It would also clearly set him apart from other giants they probably met so far.
>>
>>55340385
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-july-2016
>What happens if a druid using Wild Shape is reduced to 0 hit points by disintegrate? Does the druid simply leave beast form?
>The druid turns to dust, since the spell disintegrates you the instant you drop to 0 hit points.
So most likely the druid just dies.
>>
>>55340385
RAW, they die, RAI however tgey reverg back to their original form.
>>
>>55340385
They die period. It's the same thing with Power Word: Kill. Wild Shape puts you into a different form, and if that form loses enough hit points it reverts, but if you die, you die. This has always been something you need to watch out for as a Druid whenever going up against high level undead.
>>
Can halflings cross breed? And if so are they half-halflings? Quarterlings, if you will?
>>
>>55340438
Halflings aren't "mixed breed" races, the half just refers to their stature. They're short.
>>
>>55340454
So half-halflings would be three-quarterslings, being half as big again as the original halfling?
>>
>>55338097
its just a bunch of swords? just reflavor the pact weapon to make lots of sword. its not affecting damage ouput or anything so i dont see what the problem would be.
>>
>party consists of:
> a hunter ranger
>two clerics, one war and one death
> an assasin

I suppose it no longer matters what I pick since there will be 5 players, but any suggestions?
>>
>>55340381
Best gunslinger I've seen for 5e.
>>
>>55340557
Wizard.
>>
>>55340557
>No wizard
The choice is clear Anon
>>
>>55340317
>This really implies that you should be dual wielding, even though dual wielding rules only apply to melee attacks.
That's the idea. I guess I should expand that section to make this more clear.

>Overlaps a bit with Sharpshooter.
This was adapted from the fighter sharpshooter archetype and that bit was left in. I know that a simple unconditional advantage would negate half cover, anyway, but I don't think you should be getting more crits (and sneak attack) on someone behind cover.

>Deafened AND Frightened EVERY attack with NO SAVE?
Until the end of the turn. The only times this will come in to play are OA, Legendary Actions and if you have haste on you. Disadvantage on OAs is weaker than what Swashbuckler gets at level 3, anything with legendary actions is likely to be immune to fear and if you have haste on you I guess they have disadvantage if you try to grapple them.

>Suddenly you're deafening and frightening 4 enemies/round, about 9 times per day. Also goes a bit against the rogue design philosophy of mostly not having resources to keep track of.
Four OA with disadvantage or one prone enemy when your surrounded? Why would you elect to stay there?
>>
>>55340381
Oh boy cumbersome resource mechanics.
>>
>>55340403
fuck off, plenty of life in this thread.
>>
>>55339248
nah, the entire setting and campaign has already been though
the idea is literally porno castlevania: the palace where the royal family lives has been overtaken by an ancient evil that is awakening and its presence is affecting reality around it in perverted ways (must be because of a morning wood) turning the palace into a castle and the residents into horny monsters. The party is sent to vanquish the evil (fuck it back to its slumber)
>>
>>55339715
Not them, but that sounds remarkably broken and unnecessary. I would suggest opening yourself up to critiques instead of simply they're all shit, and actually listening. What you have is remarkablyworse than what was presented in the UA.
>>
I want to create an NPC as a boss against a level 7 party, so around CR 10-11
If I create this boss NPC like if it was a PC what level should it have, 15, 16?

DM's manual gets too complicated with this question and I don't understand yet monster creation well
>>
>>55337540
I made a joke character who was a cleric who loved the Raven Queen (And by that I mean bang but he gets them mixed up.) but she wanted nothing to do with him. So every time he died he was excited because he got to see her but because she was super annoyed with his attempts she brought him back to life each time. He thinks she's playing hard to get.

I had fun with that fucker.
>>
>>55337905
We had a Gishy Dragon Sorcerer who loved closing into Melee for Greenflame blade + Quickened Greenflame Blade.

Later in the campaign, they used to devestate using Invocation of Flame, since first off they would quick cast it and immediately throw out the flame-action attack. And every other turn would quicken-cast and flame action. Burned through points quickly but dished out the pain and made for very memorable and fun moments.

They also threw out tricks like Quicken spell + Dodge or Dash action when in tough spots.

>>55337988
>>55339172
Eldarin are High Elves, but the fey-step was a big feature that the current high-elf race didn't have. I'm surpised they just didn't add "At 5th level you can cast misty step once a short/long rest." to High-Elf subrace because an extra cantrip is nothing to write home about except to rogues hunting that BB or GFB.

But rather than leaving it at that, they rewrote Eldarin as chaotic season elves instead to appease people crying "Where my Eldarin, High Elf don' count!"
>>
>>55337905
Yeah, I know what you mean. I play a Druid and it always kind of sucks wanting to throw a Healing Word to my ally but knowing that means I'm going to be stuck to casting a Cantrip. Or wanting to Misty-step out of daner but knowing I won't be able to follow it up with a strong spell to press the advantage.

To be honest it's only really an issue for Sorcerers who wanted to throw out Fireball + Quickened Fireball to pie-plate encounters away, so I wouldn't care much about restricting people wanting to Misty step and cast Entangle.

Some rules like that are just a bit awkward, I recently rolled a Duergar Barbarian and had to sweet talk the DM to let me maintain conentration on being large while raging (And also allowing me to Enlarge + Rage without IMMEDIATELY ending my rage for not attacking.) as a Hulk out mode. We're doing the Underdark campaign and I'm so going to suplex some lords of the abyss.
Thread posts: 365
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.