[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 435
Thread images: 27

File: 1492025216691.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
1492025216691.png
557KB, 700x483px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55005957

DMs: What was a ridiculous boss idea that looked bad on paper but ended up being a success when you ran it?
Players: Got any "disappointing boss after great build-up" stories to share?
>>
>>55019254
Tempted to play a Kenku Wu Jen or Awakened Mystic attempting to correct the whole lack of creativity and unable to speak thing by elevating his mind. Would his races curse affect telepathy?
>>
>>55019396
Even if telepathy wouldn't work Mind Meld bypasses the language requirements and also gives you memories which is great.
>>
I wanna make a character that is an artist (more specifically, a painter), that either arted so hard it became magic, or arted so hard it impressed some fairies or some shit and they gave them magic.

Fey Warlock or Lore Bard? I'm not looking for the optimum here, I'm just going for style. Attacks styled as flinging magical paint at people from a magical brush, colorful abilities, that sorta thing.

Likewise I can't decide between half-elf (Drow Descent) for the aesthetics of Dancing Lights and Faerie Fire,
or VHuman with a feat I can't even decide.
>>
a friend keeps insisting on playing 3.5e because "5e is bad".
one thing he constantly brings up as bad is that clerics can 3d10 someone at lvl 1 and one shot any other class.
i told him "evaluating how good 5e is based on fairness of player vs player on lvl 1 is bad" but he just tells me "its not realistic then"
am i wrong here?
>>
>>55019424
I'd go with warlock. Paintbrush as a wand and EB is a blast of paint.
>>
>>55019424
Go the Gray Painter pact, page 17.
>>
What's you favourite UA been?

For me it's revised ranger. I love playing rangers, but the PHB one is sorely lacking.
>>
File: hahaha.jpg (14KB, 231x363px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.jpg
14KB, 231x363px
>>55019427
>"its not realistic then"
What a retard. Of all things he could complain about he complains about 3d10 damage and the reason is REALISM. Holy shit.
>>
>>55019456
Sorry, Gray Portrait pact.
>>
File: DH4XSQ7V0AE0inO.jpg large.jpg (419KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
DH4XSQ7V0AE0inO.jpg large.jpg
419KB, 1536x2048px
>>
>>55019427
No you're not wrong, your friend is a fucking retard and severely autistic.
If he thinks 3.5e is good he is fucked in the head.
>>
>>55019427
5e is the best designed the game has ever been, 3.5e is like festering horseshit, what the fuck is wrong with him?
>>
>>55019512
thats how i feel about 5e. but i can't make him and the rest of the group go for 5e because they only tried it once,
and i guess had a bad player vs player experience or something and now refuse to play again
>>
>>55019520
If they want to continue smearing shit on themselves, let them, they clearly don't understand what a well designed and intuitive game system is. The best bet is to run it at a higher level for them if they're as autistic as they seem, or just find a new group.
>>
>>55019441
My idea exactly, and I fucking adore EB. I'd like to reflavor basically everything as some sort of brush-stroke or something of the like.
But again, Half-Drow for the glorious aesthetic of dancing lights and Faerie Fire innately, or VHuman for something handier? I'm making this character for 100% flavor, so it doesn't matter how practical it is as long as it sounds cool or fits the character concept.
>>55019456
>>55019471
Only official material allowed unfortunately, but I DO adore it and would totally use it in a thing where homebrew is allowed.
>>
File: valerie_sheet_web.png (598KB, 800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
valerie_sheet_web.png
598KB, 800x1100px
>>55019441
Aw yis
>>
>>55019427
>implying that IRL you can't kill fighter with one stabbing of dagger
What a faggot.

>DnD and realisism
any edition, really.

It sounds like he's salty about not being able to play his favourite edition and is looking for artificial problems to convinces you to switch or cope with the fact that 3e is no longer relevant.
>>
Whats so bad about sorcerers?
>They can twin buffs/debuffs
>can subtle cast a spell to prevent an opponent counterspelling them
>Can move spell slots around
>Shit idk
But why do sorcerers get all the flak?
>>
File: Zeri (4).jpg (260KB, 1280x808px) Image search: [Google]
Zeri (4).jpg
260KB, 1280x808px
>>55019580
Artfus a good.
>>
>>55019618
They get all the spell selection of an Ethiopian child
>>
>>55019617
>>implying that IRL you can't kill fighter with one stabbing of dagger
Isn't that what sneak attack is all about?
>>
>>55019618
Because they are wizards, but worse.
>>
>>55019618
Garbage spell list
No actual spells known
They have literally 3 viable Metamagics out of 7 or 8, 2 of the viable ones are only useful for a total of 6 combos with spells
They have no ritual casting
Literally shit tier full casters
>>
File: Drow Sorc.png (459KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Drow Sorc.png
459KB, 667x1000px
>>55019618
>Sorcerer spell list is literally the Wizard spell list with all the rituals and good stuff ripped out
>Spontaneous casting is sold as a feature, but wizards can prepare more spells than a sorcerer LEARNS TOTAL
>Wizards have a powerful archetype for every school, often way more useful than any of the sorcerer bloodlines which are often pretty mediocre.
>So many classes already have Charisma as their main stat that a wizard in the party, who is the only class in the game to use Intelligence as a primary stat (unless you count Mystics) will often end up being far more useful on the skill side of things
>Meta-magic is far more useful for multiclassing exploits than it is for the Sorcerer itself, and alot of people hate multi-classing (especially when it involves charisma based classes) because of how much it shits on game balance.
>REALLY faggoty people hate sorcerer's "magical blood" flavor bcause it's too "snowflakey" or appeals to "dragonfags", while they play off Wizards as more "normal" characters. But I personally find this a really retarded reason to hate a class when BARDS can get magic just because they can blow a flute well and warlocks get DBZ energy blasts because they're some tentacle-demon's fuccboi.
>>
>>55019794
Notice, how all classes you mentioned as more retarded than sorcerer are all charisma casters as well.
>>
>>55019485

Got your hands on it??????

But supposedly it doesn't come until beginning of september....
>>
File: Bard Miku.jpg (106KB, 610x902px) Image search: [Google]
Bard Miku.jpg
106KB, 610x902px
>>55019819
Sure, but people love Bards (Muh amazing EXKSDEE SO RANDUMB DIPLOMANCY stories), and Warlocks are often touted as one of the most "flavorful" classes in the game (despite being about as mechanically fun to play a stationary turret).
>>
How to fix Sorcs

They now use spell points instead of slots

They now get a domain list of free spells that are thematic to their sorcerous origin

Empowered Spell now reads as: When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to roll an additional damage die for every die rolled its maximum result. You can add an additional number of damage dice in this way for a number of dice up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). Additional dice rolled from this Metamagic option can also grant additional dice of their own.

Distant Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater. you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell. When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 60 feet.

Heightened spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell. You can do so after the creature rolls for the saving throw but before any effects of the roll occur.

Extended Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can spend 2 sorcery points to increase its duration to 24 hours.

Careful Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

Sorc now occupies its intended niche of "Guy who casts a lot of spells in lots of different ways" without stepping on any of the other fullcasters' toes.
>>
>>55019618
Meta magic needs to be stronger and they need to learn more spells.

Oh and if you play with a small who uses the spell point variant casting sorcerer's become irrelevant. Literally all the other spellcasters are stronger than them at that point.

Honestly you want a good buff for sorc? Let them make 6th level and higher spell slots, but keep their spell list short as short as it is. Making spell slots is literally the only cool unique thing about them. Metamagic is just meh.
>>
File: 1465113629901.jpg (487KB, 1415x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465113629901.jpg
487KB, 1415x1000px
>>55019876
You forgot the part where you put useful rituals on their spell list (or just let them pick anything from the wizard spell list) and up their spells-known to be on par with what a Wizard can fucking PREPARE.
>>
>>55019485
PDF when
>>
>>55019907
I'd love to give Sorcs rituals too but this is already a hefty buff that I'd rather hold back any further on. Swapping their spell list for the Wizard one should be fine since it's literally the same thing but better though.
>>
Speaking of fixing sorcerer's... How would you fix or tweak the other classes?
>>
>>55019907
I gave them
>They now get a domain list of free spells that are thematic to their sorcerous origin
as well so that's an additional 10 free spells to help their pitiful 15 spells known total. That makes them about even with Bard's 22 spells known. Still nowhere near even with Wizard, but that should be fine.
>>
How do I stop making min/maxed characters?
I start by making something I think that I will enjoy playing then I ensure that every skill,class ability,spell, everything is optimal and It makes my characters feel like whet cardboard.
>>
>>55019876
Here's something else.
Every level they should be allowed to switch out a number of spell equal to their charisma modifier (minimum of 1).
>>
>>55019943
Make it with a DM who will buff weak shit if it's flavorful for your character.
>>
>>55019912
>>55019837
Could be wrong, but I think it was Perkins that tweeted that picture.
>>
>>55019943
The discrepancy between minmaxed and casual built characters isn't that great anymore.
>>
Yo.

At what point does a magical fire stop being magical?

I'm making a Fire Genasi Eldritch Knight, and I'm debating on whether or not to pick up the Control Flames cantrip, and it really depends if it applies to the Fire Genasi's inherent Produce Flame cantrip.

I know Control Flames can't affect magical fire, but if Produce Flame sets a chair on fire, wouldn't that become natural fire?

Is it like the Ship of Theseus? If a magically started fire is replaced by natural flames bit by bit, is it still magical?
>>
>>55019859
>don't take eldritch blast
>suddenly more fun to play
You might hear the rallying whine of "but my DPR" in the background, but fortunately you don't need to listen as there are plenty of other, non-EB cantrips out there, the Hexblade makes bladelocks not completely useless, and playing for something other than damage spam is fun.
>>
Give sorcerers a combined meta magic spell point pool, stop spells known progression at 5th, mimic warlock 6789 spell levels, let sorcerers up cast as level appropriate without arbitrary limit
More versatile, and gives them a specific niche, they can throw low level magic all day, or cast 9th level fireballs
>>
>>55020079
I'd rule that any flames which will continue to burn independent of the spell that caused them are, in effect, nonmagical.
>>
>>55020079
Can it be dispelled?
>>
>>55020079
Produce flame
Duration: 10 minutes
"...you can also attack with the flame, altough doing so ends the spell."

I'd say if you put something on fire, it is 'attack'.
Also, when you put the fire into empty fireplace, it won't magical burn on nothing - spell specifically mentions it remains in your hand for the duration. Flame leaving your hand means spell ending. After which, the fire is probably non-magical.

But you might want to check with your DM, if he sees it the same way.
>>
>>55019934
Short version:
>Fighters
All archetypes get combat maneuvers. Maybe not allow the same manuevers to be used twice in a row just to cut down on precision attack and the "power attack" feat spam.

>Bards
Remove their flavor focus being on music, leave that up to the player. Hedge mages, Witches, wandering Sages, and such are cool flavor. Make em support wizards and take away some of the regular wizard's way-too-many options.

>Barbarians
Rage no longer gives exhaustion levels.

>Druids
Remove wildshape. Yes, I know the point of the class is wildshape, but mechanically it's kinda shitty to have a character who spends all their time playing stat blocks of other creatures instead of their own character-build. The scaling is also broken as hell.

>Monks
Un-fuck the Way of 4 Elements Monk by making spell costs/action economy more reasonable. Maybe give Way of the Shadow more skill proficiencies to better fit their "assassin" or "ninja" profile.

>Rogues
Give rogues some kind of resource pool that can force Advantage or pull off tricky manuevers, so they're not screwed the moment they lose a flank-buddy.

>Rangers
UA already did a good job of this.

>Wizards
Bring back opposition-schools tied to the school specializations. Make Evocation a bit more powerful, move some of the "save or suck" and control spells into the Bard and Druid spell lists exclusively. Remove all spells that flatout replace entire skills or do them better than classes specializing in those things (Alter Self for Deception, Invisibility for Stealth, Create Food and Water for Survival, Knock for Lockpicking, ect).

>Warlocks
Make short rests 5 minutes
Hex is now an Invocation that the warlock gets for free at some point.
Repelling Blast doesn't work on creatures of Large or larger size (sorry, but knocking around a full-sized dragon with your finger-guns is retarded as hell).
Stop trying to make Warlocks into fucking gishes, Paladins and EKs already exist for this, goddamn.
>>
>>55020139
It says it doesn't harm the caster or their equipment while they're holding the fire, so it seems it's magical and can likely be dispelled while in their hand, but it just turns into fire damage when thrown, so I think it becomes natural fire after that point?
>>
>>55019934
>Bard
I'd make it so their capstone is that they regain a use of inspiration every initiative count 20, and give them extra spells known at 20 level
>Druid
I'd make it so whenever your Wild Shape takes damage, your damage for that shape stays there until you finish a short rest. That means if your Polar Bear form goes to zero, you can't polar bear again until a short rest.
>Warlock
I'd make it so the blade Pact can transform into any "Improvised weapon" with which the Pact grants proficiency on. Turn it into a schizel and you can sculpt, turn it into a pen and you can write very persuasive letters.
>Paladin
You can find more powerful steed with higher spell slots. This includes beyond 5th level slots, in case the Bard or a multiclass picks it up
>>
>>55019943
>get friend who's good at theme and making interesting characters
>ask them to help you
>>
>>55020158
Please get a job at WotC.
>>
>>55020158
Some of these are ok, the rest are shite.

>>55020198
Are you fucking serious? You need to write more than a handful of slight changes.
>>
>>55020226
Right, that's Paizo I forgot.
>>
>>55020226
To be fair, anon did say "short version" at the top of his post.

I'm going to take some of the "shite" ones (like the druid) as "I have no idea how to actually fix these classes because they're broken beyond fixing without starting over" though.
>>
Running skt. What are some good ways, in chapter 3/4ish, to:

>foreshadow imyrith
>introduce klauth so the airship didn't just appear
>foreshadow slarkrethel
>>
>>55020241
Topkek.

>>55020243
I would suggest that you and others actually try to understand the system first before making modifications. This isn't meant as a slight, but going into the system with the presumptions of other systems or changing them because you think they're "broken" isn't a good idea.
>>
File: Every 5e warlock ever.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Every 5e warlock ever.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>55020243
>"I have no idea how to actually fix these classes because they're broken beyond fixing without starting over"

Kinda sums up my opinion of Warlocks. Trying to make a short-rest caster without using a spell-point system and saying "you get x amount of spell points back every short rest" was a mistake.

Vancian Casting as a whole was a mistake, but that's a Sacred Cow now and it'll be another 5 editions of DnD before anyone dares change it.
>>
>>55020280
Have you actually played warlocks or just looked at a bunch of opinions on the internet?
>>
>>55020280
The Warlock model has always seemed weird to me. Shouldn't Sorcerer's be the casters who rely on short rests, since they're pulling all their magic from inside themselves?

Warlocks are drawing from an external faucet, they should be able to cast ad infinitum as long as their patron is willing.
>>
>>55020323
They rely on their eldritch invocations and pact boon.
You can think of the warlock powers as always being on loan and hence needing constant resting and recharging.
>>
>>55020158
The Good:
>All fighters get manuevers
>Bards not music-focused
>Wo4E gets cheaper spells
>Rage doesn't give exhaustion
>Wizards get opposition schools
>Wizards lose skill-replacing spells
>Some Wizard control spells become Bard/Druid exclusives
>Repelling Blast has a size limit

The Bad
>Cant use manuevers twice
This is a fault of the feats that give damage boosts being too powerful, not the manuvers themselves. Reminder than manuevers are an option rule.
>Remove Wildshape
Might as well just remove Druids as a class DESU, because this is THE thing they're built around. Clerics do healing better and Bards do Control better.
>Give Shadow Monk more Proficiencies
The Skilled Feat exists. Monks aren't a skill-monkey class by default.
>Give Rogues a resource pool.
I'm torn here. The shouldn;t just feel like shitty fighters, and they're a non-resource class by default... but their inability to NOVA damage and the levels of suck they attain when isolated IS a problem. I almost always play Swashbucker to get around this somewhat. It needs to be adressed, but not with a resource pool.
>Make Hex a free invocation
If you want more damage, take Agonizing Blast. We don't need a version that takes concentration
>Make Short Rests 5 minutes
Honestly, this should apply to all classes, not just Warlocks.
>>
Anons? Do you think it's possible to make a non-gamebreaking PC writeup for Driders?

If yes, how? My kneejerk idea on the subject is to just say "take the Drow stats, but you replace Drow Weapon Training with Spider Climb 30 feet".
>>
File: auto turret.jpg (50KB, 736x721px) Image search: [Google]
auto turret.jpg
50KB, 736x721px
>>55020296
Yes, here's how 90% of the experience went.
>Combat starts
>Use Hex (1/2 of my spellslots are gone already)
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Hold on to my last spell slot so I have something to use in an emergency or not be fucked next fight (since the party won't wana take an hour break after this combat)
>Watch as the Wizard with way more spell slots than he will ever need consistently provides far more utility to the party both in-combat and out-of-combat while I keep blowing my load on single tasks waiting for the next time we have a rest.

Seriously, Warlock is the worst experience mechanically I've ever had in 5e except for the few times I played Barbarian. I could honestly make a crossbowfighter and be a turret with more options than the Warlock has.
>>
>>55020357
>Swashbuckler
Why is that? Are they better off by themselves? I think swashbucklers should get extra attack honestly
>>
>>55019427
As someone who doesnt really have a pet edition.
3d10 damage at level 1 is bullshit unbalanced.
Complaining about realism in a DnD ruleset is fucking retarded.
DnD is not a """""""realistic"""""" system.
It's heroic fantasy.
Your friend is a dumb cunt.
>>
>>55020428
Sounds like you listened to memebuilds and built a shitter without thinking for yourself. Although your spell refresh rate is dependant on your DM not being a stingy piece of shit.

I'm also playing a warlock and it's been mad fun. I get into their grill with greenflame blade after eldritch blasting. I also cast other spells including hellish rebuke and armor of agathys.

What pact and boon?
>>
>>55020428
The problem here is really you and you being a colossal retard. The warlock has many more options than you give it credit for.

Have you tried actually playing the warlock?
>>
>>55019427
>claims clerics are overpowered in 5e
>prefers 3.5, where clerics were famously one of the most overpowered classes in a wildly imbalanced edition
Um...
>>
What are the best gish classes/subclasses (besides paladin)? I'm new to 5e.

Eldritch Knight
Arcane Trickster
Hexblade

What else am I missing? What would you guys suggest as one that works best?
>>
>>55020589
>Gish
Reeee, fucking kill yourself
>>
>>55019254
Would Gaston be evil or neutral?
>>
>>55019876
>>55019934
>>55020158
More like:
All fighters get a basic set of manoeuvres with a d4/d6 and BM get's an extended list, or everyone get's all manoeuvres and BM gets progressively bigger die

Bards and, rogues should get a better capstone

Druids, and wizards are fine, although wizards could use some spell restrictions.

Warlocks should get some more ritual spells for a bit more utility.

Completely agree with monk and ranger.

Sorc should get one pool of spell points for both spells and metamagics. The pool increases as you level up, and perhaps some restrictions on how big spell levels you can create.
You should get 4 metamagics at 3rd, and an additonal two at 10th and 17th (or 2/3/3 or 3/3/2)

Bigger and better spell list, but not more rituals as like the flavour of sorcs being spontaneous casters-
>>
>>55020659
>Warlocks should get some more ritual spells for a bit more utility
Anon, warlocks with Ritual Casting literally cannot get any more rituals.
>>
I'm new to 5e (last played 3.5) and am going to be the party rogue. Someone help fill me in on how all the subclasses work out in practice please?

I don't want to min/max or anything but I'd like to play one with pretty useful abilities.
>>
>>55020158
Instead of removing wildshape, just say that the 'caster' form of the druid takes the full damage of an attack that pushes them out of their shapeshifted form.
Also make shape shifting cost spell slots: each level = 1 hour, except at level 20 of course.
>>
Back at it with making Dragonborn Paladin with Oath of Conquest in case I need a new character. Interpreting Oath of Conquest as more Oath of Law, making him devout of Helm (protection for those abiding by law, punishment for everyone else). He will be from some stern version of Helm followers, go on missions as tasked by the guild (currently our party is doing tasks for a trade guild, not too hard to imagine guild calling favours from church). The question is, what are good ideas for conducts that he would have to follow? Since once I declare this kind of thing, it should be permanent (unless I want a character arc), I'm cautious of writing myself into a corner.
>>
>>55020677
I worded that poorly. The base warlock should get some more rituals. Pact of tome or ritual caster would obv. net you more.
>>
>>55020681
I think the only really terrible subclass is mastermind.

Otherwise they are about on par. Assassin is a bit weak/situational. Arcane Trickster is a fan favorite because it gets familiar+booming blade. Swashbuckler is most self-reliant.
>>
>>55020721
The tome/blade/chain thing just shouldn't even be considered paths, just simple invocations. They don't combo at all, so there's really no reason for not being able to take any/all of them. Warlocks already got a "path" selected with the patron.
>>
>>55020741
> Not being an mastermind that use his familiar to attack and help action to cheer on them.

Do you even pokemon master?
>>
>>55020741
Why is Mastermind terrible? Also, how does thief stack up?
>>
>>55020323
I think of it as tapping into a stronger power, but it's harder to control. So they can't hold as much at once, but it's easy to get more to refuel.

Sorcerers run at the same fuel rate as barbarians. They both run entirely on long rests.
>>
I want to be a gish but I can't decided between...
Paladin 2 / Sorcerer X or Arcana Cleric. It's all came down to Nova Potential vs Utility right?
>>
>>55020589
Valor Bard, Bladesinger Wizard if you consider Arcane Trickster one.
>>
>>55020589
Clerics, more or less depending on your domain.
>>
>>55020748
>Do you even pokemon master?

Yes, I play summoner druids from time to time.

>>55020765
I only played an AT, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Mastermind is just not very good. It gets some tricks but nothing that makes it actually better, from what I recall.

You got to get creative with Thief, as he doesn't really get any straight combat boosts, and relies entirely upon items. It's the "non combat" option essentially.
>>
>>55020812
Arcane Trickster+ Bladesinger dip is a pretty good combo.
>>
>>55020830
Thief can throw Alchemist's fire and Acid as a bonus action.
>>
>>55020830
>Mastermind is just not very good. It gets some tricks but nothing that makes it actually better, from what I recall.
I want it to be an int based tactical chess master, but it's actually a cha based master of disguise. Their special combat ability requires you to get attacked by an enemy while you have cover from a different enemy, possibly in melee only, so you can divert the attack to your cover. So it sucks in theme and mechanics.
>>
>>55020838
I've played Arcane Trickster/Eldritch Knight and it's probably my favorite mix of "Magic and martial" because of the war magic feature
>>
>>55020839
>Thief can throw Alchemist's fire and Acid as a bonus action.

Wasn't it Sage Advice'd that they actually can't do anything that constitutes as an attack?
>>
>>55020721
Yeah but like, other pacts don't get Ritual Spell Casting.

That doesn't preclude the idea of them getting more utility spells mind you, just, you know..
>>
>>55020838
Is this just a 2-level dip into Bladesinger?

What order would you do it in?
>>
>>55020904
never saw that sageadvice. At least not from JC.
>>
>>55020589
Pure Bladesinger
Pure Arcana Cleric
Pure 8 INT 16 STR 16 CON Mountain Dwarf Abjuration Wizard
>>
Does bladelock fully suck? Does hexblade save it?
>>
>>55020939
I'd probably start wizard 1-2, rest into AT. That seems like the smoothest progression, with no sudden jumps in AC.

>>55020947
https://thesageadvice.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/use-an-object-action/

By the same token, throwing an alchemist fire isn't using an action, it's making an attack with an alchemist fire, I think. You could "use object" to throw a dagger, if "using" meant attacking with it.
>>
If I cast Eldritch Blast and activate Human Determination, will it cause all of EB's attacks to be at advantage?
>>
>>55020158
>Bards
>Remove their flavor focus being on music
I always wanted to scrap the class.
>>
>>55020901
How did you distribute your levels?
>>
>>55020802
>>55020589
This is very important: in 5e, "gish" is a category so broad as to be meaningless. Classes that play completely differently are lumped together into this one overly broad classification. A valor bard or bladesinger plays completely differently from a paladin or eldritch knight because they have completely different strengths and different ideal methods of hitting things. It is much more useful to think of gishes in terms of "full casters who can also use some weapons" (valor bards, war clerics, bladesingers, core bladelocks) and "full martials who can also cast some spells" (eldritch knights, arcane tricksters, paladins, rangers, maybe hexblades depending on who you ask.)
>>
>>55021029
Wrong. Do you see where he has clarify that he is talking about magic item only and refer to DMG (and not other type of item)? Because "When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object Action".

Is Alchemist's Fire an object? Yes
Does it requires your action for its use? Yes

Thus using Alchemist's Fire = use object action.
>>
>>55019943
What are your character's flaws... if you have none - you've munchkin'd again. Great memorable characters have flaws that they have to work with / around/ through.
And if you cant trust yourself to pick spells fairly... consider rolling for them
>>
>>55021078
Then there's the melee warlock, which is its own thing.
>>
>>55019943
Describe the character in terms of the story and not in terms of whatever glitch in the rules you want to exploit. Then have the DM make the character for you. If he won't do that, use the elite array instead of rolling or being fiddly with point-buy.
>>
>>55020939
I'd start as Rogue for the 4x skill proficiencies, dex save throws, and rapiers. Get to 3, maybe take 4th for the ASI, then dip into Bladesinger. I don't think any backgrounds weapon proficiency, so you're stuck with shortswords as one of your best weapons, and only if you run a high elf.

If you only ever want up until 3rd level spells, then take the rest in Rogue. Otherwise you could just do 3 Rogue/17 Wizard and get up to 9th.
>>
>>55021123
Is Dagger an Object? Yes.
Does it requires your action for its use? Yes

Thus using Alchemist's Fire = use object action.
>>
>>55021172
Not quite. The official-books-only bladelock falls squarely under the category of "full caster who can also use some weapons." The UA hexblade tries to make the warlock's melee weapons as strong as his spells, but it never quite gets there because nothing else about the warlock is designed for melee.
>>
>>55020939
Rogue First two levels , obviously you're going to want that proficiency in Dexterity saves and cunning action is your whole deal.
Then immediately after take a level in Wizard. The sheer utility being able to throw Shield and Absorb Elements around, along with every single other level 1 Wizard ritual is pretty huge.

Then pick up the second level of wizard literally whenever.
>>
On the chapter 3 random wilderness encounters table in Storm King's Thunder you can encounter a ranger, how retarded would it be to have my party encounter everyone's favorite good boy Drizzt Do'Urden
>>
>>55021048
Fighter 11/Wizard 9

I probably would've gone something like Fighter 8/Wizard 12 if this DM didn't start throwing a bunch of magic-proof creatures at us.
>>
Is it worth going over 2 levels in Wizard for the Bladesinger dip to Arcane Trickster? I want to primarily remain a rogue.
>>
>>55021205
A dagger requires an attack for its use, not necessarily an action (i.e. You can't Extra Attack with vials of acid for example)

At least that's how I rule it. Makes no sense to me that a Thief can use med kits, wield scimitars and drink potions as bonus actions, but can't smash a small vial of perfume
>>
A concentration spell surrounds the target with gusts of heated, shimmering air, fouling both the aim of anyone who would fire on the target with a ranged weapon, and the flight of any missile that would strike them. The target never has an AC of less than 18 for the purpose of ranged attacks.

What level should this spell be? Barkskin is 2nd-level, for comparison.
>>
>>55021219
Clearly the warlock isn't a full caster, because it doesn't use vancian magic per se.
>>
I'm going to be playing a path of the ancestral guardian barbarian in an upcoming campaign. Any suggestions on fun things to do with it? Would taking a level in fighter to get tunnel fighting be worth it?
>>
>>55021288
Oh its definitely "worth it"

>Inteligence to Armor Class
>Shield, Mage Armor and Absorb Elements
>Every level 1 Wizard ritual, including Familiar
>Extra 10 feet of movement
>Advantage on Concentration checks
>Extra Cantrips
>Ability to use Spell casting focus
>Extra spell slots

Added bonuses at my table
>Arcane Tricksters still counts as an Illusion and Enchantment wizard for purposes of Spell progression

Yeah, it's the shit.
>>
>>55019254
how do you treat drow in your games? my new group has two people playing as drow and I'm not sure how to handle their interactions with the average person, like are drow just considered to be murdering creeps by everyone?
>>
>>55021323
>you can't Extra Attack with vials of acid, for example
Why not? It's an improvised weapon. Ain't no rule that says you lose your extra attacks with improvised weapons.
>>
>>55021377
Depends on setting. I stole Eberron Drow so mine are just dark skinned jungle Elves.
>>
>>55021372
How far would you go into Wizard?
>>
>>55021288
Is it worth having not getting hit by AC ever?
Is it worth having advantage on almost every skill check (and +5 to passive perception) via familiar?
>>
>>55021346
That's not what "full caster" means. A full caster is someone whose primary strength is in casting spells. In D&D it's specifically someone who can cast spells up to level 9.

Also, nobody really uses Vancian magic in 5e, but that's beside the point. Even in a campaign that uses the spell points variant rule, full casters are still full casters.
>>
>>55021323
>wield scimitars

wat?

>but can't smash a small vial of perfume

smash it, yes, make an attack with it, no.
>>
>>55019456
This homebrew makes me want to run a Warlock only campaign.
>>
>>55021377
I'm running a very loose version of Greyhawk from the first folio or whatever, from 1e I think. I'm not familiar with the setting at all. I haven't read much of it yet, though. Kind of just using the map for now.

We just finished up the Sunless Citadel from the Yawning Portal, so they haven't really been to civilization yet.
>>
>>55021404
Arcane Trickster 3 / Wizard the rest is superior simply because you are a wizard.
>>
>>55021404
No more than 2. Doing 3 is nice and all, and sure is tempting what with Misty Step just out of reach, but at some point I might as well be playing a Wizard.
>>
>>55021288
6 Levels of Wizard can get you Extra Attack and 9 can get you 5th level spells if you feel like Conjuring Elementals, Geas, Telekenesis, or Wall of Force.

If not then just go all the way Wizard 2/Rogue 18 for Elusive since your spell learning curve is already shot.
>>
>>55021339
Level 1, lasts 1 hour. Can be cast at higher levels to be applied to other targets.
Compare it to mage armour which lasts for 8 hours, grants less AC but works against melee too.
>>
>>55021437
At that point why even AT?
>>
>>55021408
Except the warlock's primary strength isn't in casting spells but an admixture of things. Hence it's its own thing.

And no, full caster actually refers to casting up to 9th level spells, so paladins, eldritch knights, arcane tricksters are the like are considered half casters.
>>
>>55021380
Because using Acid is not an attack action. The item require you to use an action to attack with it.

It's not improvised weapon, you just treat it like one.
>>
>>55021463
Booming Blade+Bladesong+cunning action disengage with 40 feet of movement?

In a 1v1 that's 4d8+dex+4d8 off a cantrip by 17th.
>>
>>55021380
For the same reason you can't Extra Attack when you cast Booming Blade.
You're using an object, and as part of using the object you make an attack roll, but that doesn't make it an attack in of itself
>>
>>55021432
Greyhawk has nothing unique about it because most of its classic features (the Tomb of Horrors, the Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.) have been long since scavenged by other settings.
>>
>>55021205
Dagger is an object. You can use "use an object action" to use it to cut stuff like rope. But to do melee attack or range attack with it, you need attack action.

Alchemist's Fire however specify that its action include attack. Specific > General.
>>
>>55021432
meant to reply to >>55021392
>>
>>55021526
If you check the Daggers description, it always mentions "making attacks", but if you check the acid vial you'll see the wording "as an action, you can use"

The wording is very intentional
>>
>>55021490
Thanks for proving that you didn't even read my post.

Core bladelocks are not an admixture of things. Like the valor bards, they get a full complement of spells and also a small amount of melee weapon ability that they have no reason to ever use. Hexblades are a little closer to being a mix because they get more potential for weapon damage than original bladelocks, but they can't compare to actual martial classes and are still sitting on that spellcasting ability that outweighs everything else they can do.
>>
>>55021380
Just look at other object that Fast Hand can use.
Healer's Kit? As an action, you can do X
Ball Bearings? As an action, you can do X

Same thing apply to Acid and Alchemist's Fire. It's just that their X include attack.
>>
>>55021573
Thanks for proving you don't actually know what a full caster is and you were just shooting your mouth off.
>>
>>55020158
Your Rogue complaint is fixed with Swashbucklers in the Swordcoast Adventurer's Guide

The rest of your "complaints" seem to suck all the fun and / or challenge out of the game... well done
>>
>>55019254
Hey guys, I used to play mostly WoD and D&D3.5 back in my teens and then I quit when my group fell apart. I want to get back into it but I'm basically starting from scratch and I'm not sure where to look for. I'm browsing games on roll20, is there anyone from here starting a campaign?
>>
>>55021573
I'm playing a core bladelock and am in the thick of melee most of the time, casting spells and eldritch blasting. You have no fucking clue what the fuck you're talking about. Thank you for proving you haven't actually played a warlock and were just talking out of your arse.
>>
>>55021576
>>55021515
Yeah, combine us two inputs

If you're a Sorcerer, you could Quicken Booming Blade with your Greataxe.
Does this mean you are now proficient in making weapon attack rolls as a bonus action? No, but it's how the mechanics of the special attack rolls objects turn out.

Same for full casters that can make weapon attack rolls as bonus actions thanks to the use of Bigby's Hand or Spiritual Weapon
>>
>>55021573
Warlocks don't get a full complement of spells, you fucking retard.
>>
>>55021638
Gee, someone had a bad experience.
>>
So basically the 2 level dip into Wizard for Bladesinger from Arcane Trickster nets you:

1. Bladesong
2. A few extra level 1 wizard spells from any school
3. A fuckton of cantrips (6, 7 if high elf which is probably the best race for this)

Seems pretty worth it then, right?
>>
>>55021667
Do you have any fucking idea what the fuck you're blathering on about? Actually understand the classes and things like full caster before talking shit.
>>
>>55021617
You invest 1-2 invokes in EB because thats the entirety of their combat ability. The rest is for non-combat. They're the cheapest build in the game and should arguably stay cheap or get completely redesigned. Warlocks are dumb in combat and interesting anywhere else.
>>
>>55021617
>I'm playing a core bladelock and am in the thick of melee most of the time, casting spells and eldritch blasting

Once again you prove my point for me. You don't swing your weapon even in melee because Eldritch Blast is still better even with disadvantage.
>>
>>55020712
Please respond
>>
>>55021701
You only play like that only if you're a retard. You're survivable in melee with complimenting abilities like fiendish vigor and the fiendpact dark one's blessing. Warlocks are surprisingly fun in combat, but shitters wouldn't understand.

>>55021703
Only if you're severely autistic do you eldritch blast spam.
Once again you prove the point that you don't actually have any clue what the fuck you're saying and only talk shit, and haven't actually played a melee warlock ever.
Try to be less autistic.
>>
>>55021679
Yeah, pretty much.
For future reference, the 2 level dip into most classes are worth it unless your endgame class wants a level 20 feature(like quad attack fighter). 2 levels of certain classes come with no downsides since level 19 features are usually just ASI which might be skipped too if you're skipping the 20.

Comparatively some 2 level dips get you all the best stuff if you've got the stats to multiclass in the first place. Warlock gets Eldritch Evocations, Fighter gets action surge.
>>
>>55021686
By your own definition, warlocks are full casters because they get spells from 1-9. The fact that they do it with Pact Magic and Mystic Arcanum instead of with normal spell slots is irrelevant. Warlocks are full casters. Not the best, but full casters nonetheless.
>>
File: Veigar Splash.jpg (220KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Veigar Splash.jpg
220KB, 1215x717px
Stat me, /tg/
>>
>>55021754
Usually that isn't true without a MC. So you don't take any EB invocations to make it vastly superior to any other possible combat? How many invocations does it take to even get that viable? Is it so many that you're worthless outside combat too?
>>
>>55021679
See above
>>55021372
It's pretty good, but looses it's value if you aim to grab Warcaster or Ritual Caster Wizard

>>55021686
I'm not him Anon, please control yourself. I know it's summer but the heat is no excuse.
>>
>>55021767
Full casters in the traditional sense of vancian casting, ie with all of the spell slots going up to 8th level. They're considered something else not strictly full casters probably pseudo-full casters.
>>
I need som help building a revised ranger BM hafling. Should I go for mounted, ranged or melee?
What feats or pets synergises the best?
DM has given a go-ahead to MC, if I do, I'm guessing rogue for some atk, druid or cleric for spellcasting.

Sharpshooter + xbow expert and hand xbow is a given for ranged. Archery fighting style. Depending on the party, ape, wolf, panther and boar are viable companions.

Given pack tactics, wolf is probably the optimal mount choice. Both a lance with dueling, defensive fighting style, or archery with hand xbow are viable here.

Mounted combatant doesn't seem that great given that my mount would be medium. How do you handle playing seperate initiative orders.

Regular melee, twf is probably good along with wolf (pack tactics) & knockdown, or panther for a better knockdown. Alternatively ape for ranged support.
>>
>>55021780
Why would you? You could but you must realize there are other ways to build a fun, survivable character without powergaming and without being an autist.
You are viable off the bat, from 1st and you're not worthless outside combat because you have good Str, Cha and ok Con and Dex, and there are eldritch invocations you can take when you get them to boost your Cha abilities and other abilities. Learn to actually build a character and not a spreadsheet.
>>
Which Paladin oath do you guys reckon is most powerful?
>>
>>55019427
How do you 3d10 someone?
>>
>>55021797
Damnit, 9th*
>>
File: IMG_1822.jpg (66KB, 541x429px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1822.jpg
66KB, 541x429px
>>55021259
Can I get an answer to this?
>>
>>55021848
inflict wound

>>55019427
5e wasn't made for PvP. It's a co-op game, not a penis measurement game. All PC are design as glass cannon. Monster and PC have separate rule set in 5e for a reason.
>>
>>55021797
Jesus Christ people, fine, I'll settle this shit for you. Warlocks are not full casters, because a standard Caster is a measure of relative progression of spells that go up to level 9 because thanks to mystras ban on magic, 9 is as high as it gets.
They are considered full casters as relative to that which is considered half or third casters for the sake of progression, and since warlocks don't count for that math, they are not what you consider a standard Caster.
They are rather a full Eldritch Caster, with a different slot Caster system, and yes, even half and 1/3 Eldritch caster progressions options open for new classes in the future or even your personal homebrews.

They are full casters. But they are so with a qualifier that makes it so the term is meaningless. So both of you jerks are wrong and can stop shitting up the thread your Autistic discussion
>>
>>55021780
>>55021701
>>55021703
I've killed more monsters in melee using a weapon as a warlock than eldritch blasting. What the actual fuck are you on about? Have you tried playing the class?
>>
>>55021839
That is a hell of a lot of madness, light armor, and no proficiencies outside pact of the blade which then requires another two or three invoke investment? Not really an option.

Fiendpack and DOB don't stack, just in case you were trying that.

EB is for being able to do things that aren't combat without having to be really shitty in combat. It's awful design.
>>
>>55021912
Confirmation Bias. Just because your DM putting on a baby wheel for your Warlock doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>55021900
Stop being so severely autistic.
>>
>>55021913
Which means you enter combat with armor of agathys up or cast fiendish vigor before combat, and no shit fiendish vigor, you mean fiendish vigor by the way, and dark one's blessing don't stack, you retard. Who was saying they were?

I've found eldritch blast to be a good ranged complement to my melee abilities, spells and eldritch invocations. Again learn to think of it as a character and not a spreadsheet.
>>
>>55021913
not fiendpack, fiendish vigor's false life. temphp doesn't stack. dont know where that came frompre-coffee
>>
>>55021925
Whatever helps you sleep better at night, buddy.
>>
>>55021925
I don't know man. There's something clever to an enemy that is a bloody thorn on your side hard enough to fuck with your forces, but never in a way that baits you to obliterate him over his compatriots, ultimately tipping the battle in their favor.

You're basically the hawkeye/black widow of your avengers team. I like it.
>>
>>55021913
I gave my Warlock player the fiendish vigor invocation for free after he figured out how to save the Wizard of the Wines

(works off how Lore wise False Life is basically you taking a swig of booze and gaining temporary hit points) fun stuff
>>
>>55021967
I didn't say they were, I just wanted to make sure you were playing the same game. I don't purposely play bad just because it's an option, the problem is that the optimum for warlocks is skewed vs. any nonoptimum. You're severely limited in invocations so those bonus feats should be picked with care so that you don't fall off and make your party think you're shit too.

I would happily play a commoner to 20 but if I'm playing a class I will use the class effectively. Everything looks shitty compared to EB spam unfortunately.

>>55022021
Totally fair, it's not a particularly well-scaling invocation so that's great that you're able to get that on the cheap for a feature that could otherwise cost you 1/8th of all invocations you'll ever get.
>>
>>55021219
The hexblade doesn't make the strongest melee weapons stronger, but does make eldritch blast stronger. It's not a fixed bladelock. It is an armored EB turret.
>>
>>55021797
Not a single spellcaster in 5e is Vancian. You're an idiot.
>>
>>55019943
>he doesn't create minmaxed characters and build a backstory around it

This is how all character creation should be handled.
>>
>>55021573
>Hexblades are a little closer to being a mix because they get more potential for weapon damage than original bladelocks
They what now? How do people live while being this wrong?
>>
>>55022061
You don't have to make sure, you severe autist.
You're only limited, and you only limit yourself, if you continue to think of their abilities in terms of absolute raw numbers and in a severely autistic manner. There are ways to complement your abilities, but if you always think of it autistically there's no helping you.
My party doesn't think I'm shit, in fact I'm in the front lines with my fighter buddy, getting healed by the cleric and helped out by the rogue.
I've dropped more enemies through melee and spells than eldritch blast, and you can't use eldritch blast in melee effectively anyway because it imposes disadvantage.

Maybe try actually to play a melee warlock for once before talking like you have a clue.
Hex looks good on paper, it's not the best use with a melee warlock. You only find this out through playing it.
>>
>>55022082
Did you read this bit >ie with all of the spell slots going up to 9th level or did you want to go full autistic anyway?
>>
>>55022061
Yeah, I feel sorry for the Warlock a lot, but also, at the end of the day, none of this matters because when play hits the ground running, things tend not to go according to theory, and the most powerful players wind up being those who were the best roleplayers

My Warlock player wanted to be a high society, devil prada wearing, cosmopolitan welding, harp playing magic woman that gave me so much pizzass to work off from, that I couldn't help but keep giving her freebies.

She wanted magical gown dresses, so I let her Refluff Mage Armor as exactly that, not really caring about AC, and then when she had to loose it for Pact invocation and got real sad about it, I went fuck it, and when hit Vallaki, had her be rewarded through amazing Role-play in a way that had her devil God mother Fiona teach her how to do just that.
>>
>>55022176
I don't have any problem with melee-locks except that they're just squishy and bad at melee. I have to assume you're using pact boon cause otherwise
>1 attack
>questionable proficiency
>MAD-only damage
and I don't know what you're doing for AC to not get obliterated since
>light armor
Temp HP is nice but there's not an easy source of decent amounts of it past level 5 or 6.
>>
>>55022061
Maybe before you made sure that he was playing the same game that you actually got the ability right.
>>
>>55022237
Thats pretty silly since Mask of many faces is just ridiculously good beyond what mage armor gets you. I really hate the feat-chains they're saddled with though. Feats were always a mistake.
>>
File: file.jpg (285KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
285KB, 1200x1650px
Fighter wants to mount an Umber Hulk from behind so he can stab it on the back with his dual-wielding weapons. Thing is, he wants it that when he tries to mount it, he imagines his character jumping on the large creature, thrusting his swords on the creature so he can latch unto the Umber Hulk. How do I adjudicate this? Thinking of doing it this way:

Roll for "Grappling" using his attack action and if he fails, he just falls off and lands adjacent to the Umber Hulk prone. If he succeeds, he successfully latches on. This does bring another concern since it involves the description where he imagines his PC using the two swords to latch unto the creature's skin. Do I just forgo rolling for damage (cause doing a grapple contest rule and reward it with damage when it's not an attack roll seems too much, I feel) or tell him to roll for his two swords damage? At one end, yeah, it's a big moment for him to do and I'd like to reward his approach so he feels his mounting of the creature dealt a chink to its armor but on one end, it feels odd that on the same turn he does an action to mount with his swords, he gets a chance to deal damage esp on a creature with AC18. Am I overthinking this?

Though there is another option is that when he rolls for grapple, instead of a grappling contest where Umber Hulk rolls against my Fighter with a check, the PC just has to fight against the AC18 number instead. What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts, anons.
>>
>>55022243
Yes, blade pact boon with fiend patron.
Armor of agathys, actually read it, studded leather armor, also dark one's blessing, with fiendish vigor up before combat. You want to get hit because you have hellish rebuke and fire shield.

You also get mirror image, command and the like, learn to think outside of the box.
>>
>>55022301
did you actually read that post? Are you pulling all these spell slots for things out of your ass?
>>
>>55022281
Yeah, but like, to her, Mage Armor was *always* a magical ball gown and *always* somewhat devil inspired.

Like, a high cut, plunging back black silk with red velvet lining by the thigh. And it always looks like this, whether she's in a meeting with a Burgomaste, or in the middle of Ravenloft.
So it added choice making and Role-play elements and substance factor that you sometimes are just missing when dealing with the idea of illusion magic
>>
What effects would a belladonna goodberry have?
>>
>>55022365
You realize short rests are a thing right? And that learning to make tactical decisions for the situation is a thing right?
>>
How accurate is this? Trying to give a new group a sense of what each class and subclass is good at in a way they'll understand easily.
>>
>>55022385
Sure, you realize enemies hit harder than 1d4+4 or 5 though per combat, yes?
>>
So I've got this scenario where my party is up against a fungus that kills, infests, grotesquely mutates and puppeteers dozens of innocent villagers. And I've got this level 8 cleric. And he wants to use Resurrection on what I've identified as the big bad main fungusman. How do I play this? His logic is that fundamentally it's a dead body killed by what's tantamount to disease, and which isn't undead because it's not actually reanimated in any way, it's basically just a vehicle for the fungus, so resurrecting it should remove the fungus (killing it). My logic is that since it's not undead and just being used by the fungus then the fungus on its own has agency and constitutes a monster, not a disease or illness despite the fact that it's dependent on the host corpse to live, thus Resurrect wouldn't just be bringing something back to life it would also be one-hit-killing a monster.

What do? I actually like the idea in and of itself but ultimately it trivialises what's meant to be a pretty major encounter.
>>
>>55022397
At low levels those are good even ideal, then you swap it out, do you need it to be spelled out for you?
>>
Would /5eg/ put drizzt in their campeign if the chance presented itself
it doesn't have to be a positive portrayal
>>
>>55022406
For what though? What actually generates temp HP or AC for a warlock into the mid levels?
>>
>>55022369
I actually also do run this rule.

The same way a familiar or a Celestial steed can be acquired through means other than spell casting (Role-play), or the Wizard can gain new spells in ways other than simply leveling up, or how 90% of magic items seem to be swords and hammers for fighters, it really feels like the Warlock design is meant for letting them gain additional invocations from role-playing, within reason.
>>
>>55021259
Pretty stupid. If anyone knows anything about Drizzt they will try to make him come along on the adventure, also why should your low level party be meeting such a "legendary" character. If the world is in trouble why wouldnt Drizzt be taking care of the problem instead of your party?
>>
>>55020681
Consider taking thief rogue. People gloss over it entirely in favor of the other subclasses, but it can be just as fun. Bonus action tossing oil on a guy then retreating so the party wizard can light him up, being able to jump up or climb somewhere mid-combat without expending resources, if your DM isn't shit like me and combat isn't in a vacuum having the ability to take any class's magic items, thief can be pretty good.
>>
>>55022459
Because our favorite purple eyed prick is busy with an even higher level threat
>>
>>55022459
Drzzt taking care of the problem *is* him meeting up your party
>>
>>55022486
So, your party is the problem???
>>
>>55022475
Then why would your party even meet him, why would he waste his time and why would the players then not try to follow him and help him out. It seems like a really bad idea to meet any super high level NPCs in a module, maybe after they are finished with SKT go for it, but I couldn't see my party meeting Drizzt or Elminster without fucking up the whole SKT module.
>>
>>55022474
I love playing Thief doctors/ alchemists

Bonus action Holy Water/Alchemist Fire/Vial of Acid, Sneak Attack on important organs, Bonus Action Medkit with Healers Feat and check out all this mobility for getting to fellow downed soldiers
>>
>>55022426
You can put it into ascendant step, mask of many faces or its latter ability, or any number of eldritch invocations.

You rely on dark one's blessing, if you bothered to actually read that entry instead of just mouthing off you'd know it scales.
You have mirror image which is like temp HP or AC.
You realize armor of agathys scales don't you?
Vampiric touch, fireshield to name a few. Obviously use them for the situation at hand.
>>
>>55022414
I might have my players bump into him as Gauntlgrym in Out of the Abyss, but for the most part, no. I don't hate him by any means, personally, it's just that the Realms is a big place and he's usually busy with his own shit.

The correct way to use famous NPCs like Drizzt (or Gandalf in LotR, or whatever) is drive-by cameos where they help with something minor and provide a bit of useful advice, but then get back to their own shit which may or may not be just as important as the shit your own party is up to. A good example of this would be how Drizzt was handled in Baldur's Gate - you run across him innawoods fighting a bunch of gnolls. You help him with the gnolls, he thanks you and asks what you're up to. You can say something to the effect of "trying to stop the bandits on the Sword Coast, want to help?" and he'll respond with "I do, but I have other engagements up North. However, I believe the bandits have an encampment somewhere to the north and east of the Friendly Arm Inn. if you want to stop them, go there." Then he goes off and does his own thing, while you now know where to go to continue the game's plot.

Ta-da~! Harmless and good cameo.

If used correctly, having Drizzt or some other known NPC show up, in the middle of their own shit, emphasizes that the world is a big place and stuff happens in it beyond what the PCs do or interact with.
>>
>>55022493
No.
It's just when you're a leader, you learn to delegate.
>>
>>55022405
Have it resurrect the host, giving a big penalty to the fungus as it's now riding a host that's actively resisting it. Maybe some minor damage as the host's immune system fights it.
>>
>>55022507
>implying good boys like drizzt don't do the d&d equivelent of make a wish where they go meet doomed parties
>>
>>55022515

Can't you kill him or steal his weapons? And when you meet him in the sequel, he'll get angry about it. And if you have a character in the sequel with the same name, won't he challenge you to a duel?
>>
>>55019772
How good is a 3 Sorc 1 Warlock compared to a 4 Sorc?
>>
>>55022474
Thief was honestly some of the most fun I ever had, mostly for Cunning Action and Second-Story Work (gotta love that climb-at-full-speed clause). Sneak Attack was honestly just icing on the cake; the former two abilities were the workhorses of my play experience.
>>
>>55022544
>Can't you kill him or steal his weapons
not if there isn't any lake around
>>
>>55022511
All of these things are requiring you to take hits to refuel your temp HP and you're not generating all that back even if they die. Mirror image is the opposite of taking hits, what do you actually do for surivability?
>>
>>55022544
Yes, you can kill him, though it's difficult because he's much higher level than is possible for you to actually reach in the first game (this is, after all, Drizzt at or around The Sea of Swords book, so after he had fought both demons and dragons on multiple occasions, including stalemating a maralith in single combat).

If you have a character in the sequel with the same name *and a low reputation*, then yes, he'll duel you since you're bismirching his name. Even a reputation of 8 or better (it's a 1-20 scale) is enough to avoid that, though.

I think he'll only fight you for killing him if you choose the dialogue options for it ("Wait, didn't I kill you?"), but I could be mistaken - I never killed him in the first Baldur's Gate so I don't know if anything like that carries over into the second when you import a character.
>>
>>55022572
The Lake thing doesn't even work in Enhanced Edition, either, though for a good reason - they improved NPC pathfinding and AI, so rather than just stand at the edge of the lake taking hits from you on the other side of it while trying to figure out how to walk on water, he'll instead run around its shore to you and dice you up, most likely faster than you can chew threw his hit points.
>>
>>55022596
No shit, you want to get hit, you retard.
Mirror image is so you potentially don't take damage yourself. But again, you want to get hit.
You can generate surviability through those methods, and you have the cleric potentially helping out, with your other team mates.

You can ensure surviability through casting command, do you know that? And you ensure surviability by doing what every adventurer does best.
>>
How bad would it be to take the attack maneuvers, remove superiority die, and just allow them to be generic attack options for everyone? ex: anyone can attempt to use a disarming attack, just have the str saving throw on a hit and no superiority dice dmg.

Would it be too broken? Maybe only allow them as options for people with a fighting style? Only fighters? Have fighters get the superiority die as well?
>>
>>55022596
What do other classes do for surviability with bounded accuracy?
>>
>>55022515
Lets say I use him for the ranger random encounter in Storm King's Thunder chapter 3, maybe have the party meet him and get some advice and if they're really in a pinch have him show up save their sorry asses, would that be a good use?
>>
>>55022676
It'd probably be fine, though it does pretty much remove the Battlemaster's reason for existence.
>>
>>55022550
I don't know, how good is it to have sorcery points that regenerate on a short rest, and maybe freeing up a couple of your spells known selection but higher level sorcery spells that always come just one level after every one else?
>>
>>55022705
Generally they avoid getting hit to an extreme extent and have a party supporting them.
>>
>>55022309
halp
>>
>>55022721
Yeah, that's definitely true. If I did that I would probably just outright delete battlemaster. I'm not very confident trying to homebrew alternatives. I just want to see people have more options with melee combat.
>>
>>55022730
You play as someone wanting to get hit so you can deal retributive damage and gain temp hp from dropping enemies, also with support from your party.
Actually play it for once.
>>
File: Drizzt.pdf (585KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Drizzt.pdf
585KB, 1x1px
>>55022711
222222222222222222222[

^
That's my cat's advice, apparently.

My own advice is that yes, it seems fine, and frankly it's difficult to think that the ublsihers weren't anticipating that some DMs would use the "ranger" opportunity to have the players run into Drizzt.

Storm King's Thunder is actually a pretty good place to put Drizzt because I'm reasonably certain that one of his favored enemies are Giants, given the glee he demonstrated when presented with the opportunity to fight them back in The Crystal Shard.

If stats are relevant, though, ignore the retarded thing that Wizards tweeted recently, that Drizzt is 8th level. He's not 8th level. The man has stalemated a maralith in combat, and maraliths are CR 16, so Drizzt has to be at or around 16th level. If for any reason Drizzt's stats are relevant, I recommend using this spell-less ranger version of him I cooked up on a whim (though I can't remember if this uses UA revised ranger or standard ranger, any in any event is only accurate up to The Sea of Swords, which was the last Drizzt book I read).
>>
>>55022405
It takes an hour to cast.
>>
File: S2EeOO0.png (1MB, 720x966px) Image search: [Google]
S2EeOO0.png
1MB, 720x966px
>>55019254
Hey 5e.

I want to run a planescape game with my 5e group. Very happy I'm starting to do this.

I'm trying to convert the old adventure "Umbra" but the PDF copy of the magazine I have is missing page 34.

Out of pure happenstance would anyone happen to have this? Scan it, take a picture of it? etc? I've found MANY pdf versions of this online but they are all missing the same page- I'm beginning to wonder if the page was missing from the physical copy.

Anyone help and Anon out?
>>
>>55022774
Thank you so much for the help anon, but whats up with the 2s at the top of yor post
>>
>>55022790
>God fucking dammit.
FROM Dungeon Magazine issue #55
>>
>>55022781
Not if its on a scroll
>>
>>55022793
My cat, like I said. He stepped on the keyboard. I kept it. I think he made some good points.
>>
>>55022805
Yes if its on a scroll
>>
I'm working on a new patron for Warlocks. Would being able to conjure a Chuul or other water related creature be OP as a 14th level ability? It would be once per long rest but the creature would stay conjured until death or banishment.
>>
>>55022765
I get it, I just don't think the high amounts of damage are going to go your way. Maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>>55022814
Definately did, probably smarter than alot of anons
>>
>>55022840
Oh and only one at a time of course
>>
>>55022309
I wouldnt allow this. MAYBE with daggers or picks but you wouldnt be able to do this with swords. Make him drop a sword and do a regular grapple and attack the next turn
>>
>>55022405
1) Resurrection takes time to cast, as others said.
2) The body is now a different creature entirely, which is alive. At this point you'd have to either kill *that* creature and use those remains, or cast True Resurrection which...honestly might just duplicate a living version of the dude whose body that is.

In any case it wouldn't work.
>>
>>55022841
You realize there are other people in the party don't you? And you have your own abilities.
What looks good on paper doesn't necessarily translate well to an irl game. You have enough surviability and you're also damaging enemies while they hit you.
>>
>>55022309
>>55022871
I don't think thats grappling since an umber hulk wouldn't notice. I think thats a really stupid DC climb onto a monster. Still, avoiding the eyes is the important part.
>>
>>55022912
That part I get, if your HP is all coming from a cleric that's not really 'warlock stronk' but the temp HP thing could be pretty cool if it actually scaled well. Trying to figure it out.
>>
>>55022914
Hes using his swords to stab into it and climb up, if he wouldnt notice that require a stealth check and an athletics check i guess?
>>
>>55022947
>wouldnt notice
>stealth check for recognizing you've been stabbed
I think you can safely assume he fails his stealth check.
>>
>>55022947
>>55022914
>>55022871
>>55022309

Can't anon just use this from the DMG?
>>
>>55022956
Thats the flaw with the whole stabbing into it to climb up thing, just require a stealth and athletics check to climb up normally without trying to be an edgelord about it
>>55022958
This is a much better solution
>>
>>55022958
I dunno, I have trouble with 5e's version of 'large creature' scale. I thought it would be like the DMG latter example but that seems to be reserved for truly fuckhueg things and not just filling-a-room tier large.
>>
>>55022943
Again read, dark one's blessing scales, armor of agathys scales. Dark one's blessing procs with every enemy you kill. Just don't be too much of a kill stealer.
>>
>>55022774
You're pretty stupid if you're actually trying to gauge Drizzt's "level" by what he does in the books. Reminder that he one shot a balor in his first appearance.
>>
>>55022997
>kill stealer
I get what you're saying but I don't think that barely linear scaling is going to cut it. I will concede I was totally wrong about it being bad at certain levels, it looks pretty great for a while but I'm not sure if it'll keep up.
>kill stealer
I guess it also depends on how many tiny things the DM is throwing at you vs. how many big guys for you. There's also a lot of UA invocations that I'd like to see combo
>Cloak of Baalzebul
>Chilling Hex
but again really combat-heavy invocation list which is always going to hurt.
>>
>>55022997
It's hard to stat someone without a level anon
>>
>>55023048
not sure about that Tomb of Levistus though, wasting a turn for 10xWarlockLevel temp HP is pretty sweet as an emergency reaction to buffer that heavy spike damage I'm scared of taking on a lock.
>>
>>55023048
You have your other abilities, don't forget about them. You are the sum total of your class mechanics, looking at any one in isolation is a bit stupid.

Once those UA invocations are in Xanathar's, more choice would be given to warlocks and more warlocks would be taking them.
>>
>>55022774
I'd rather him be a Battlemaster fighter, given all the extra attacks he will get and the extra feat that can be taken. Also he was trained at the Melee Magthere, so having Superiority dice seems to fit perfectly with his wide range of abilities.
>>
>>55023089
They scale, you retard.
>>
>>55022309
You let the fighter do it because the wizard can just cast a spell and do the exact same thing, mechanically, and with a higher chance of success.
>>
>>55023108
If you use all your invocations and all your spells and your pact boon in combat you have very little left to fall back on outside of combat. Fiend is my least favorite patron because of it's stupid heavy combat focus when EB is there just being viable with minimal investment.

I don't like EB being there but I can't stop it. GOOlocks are my favorite but they clearly wouldn't make as good use of the temp HP gimmick and wouldn't be nearly as effective at anything but an EB based combat without MC.
>>
>>55023142
You shouldn't expend everything in the one sitting, especially when you don't know when the next short rest is coming, why would you do that?

I really like the fiend patron and I'm shaking up presumed notions of play for the warlock and it's been working well.
>>
>>55023142
Eldritch invocations like mask of many faces, misty visions, etc are at will.
>>
I'm having a hard time geeking out all the awesome nerd shit I'm doing in my games, but can't talk to any one about it because all my d&d friends are my players...
>>
File: 1503490183039.jpg (20KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1503490183039.jpg
20KB, 403x403px
What's your take on weapon switching? Been playing DnD for a while DMing for my buds and we've been running Lost Mines so my first foray into DMing has been going nicely. I did come across osmething that I'm wondering regarding weapon switching. My players have picked up the starter set characters so it never crossed their mind to switched weapons until one of my players picked up a greataxe in Phandalin. He asked if it takes an action to switch between his Greataxe and his longsword and at the time he asked, I said he can switch a weapon once a turn but it doesn't take an action/bonus action at all. Been looking around the net and it seems that people either don't bother and let players switch to their liking or some get very strict with it and say it costs a bonus action/action (for bigger weapons) and such.
>>
>>55023173
Still wihen those UAs hit
>Kiss of Mephistopheles
>Bonus fireball whenever EB hits anything
WotC clearly want EBspam to be the way to play and I hate them for it.

>>55023201
... Yes? If you're running bladelock you're already down a bunch of invocations anyway just keeping that damage scaling. Having to wait til level 9/12 just to get at will lower level spells is going to be problematic if you opt to never invest in eldritch blast. Otherwise you're all-in.
>>
Ah fuck I gotta work out the kinks of this really damn quickly here, I've got about an hour and a half.

My character's a VHuman Fey Warlock built for flavor rather than pure combat effectiveness and is support-focused for in combat, 8/16/14/10/8/16. The low WIS is purposeful. They're meant to be a painter obsessed with art and I'm refluffing as many of the spells as possible to be paint-related.

What's a good feat to pick for the theme?
>>
>>55023142
Get bladepact, get war caster. If enemies trigger opportunity attacks you can cast blade ward. More survivability.
>>
>>55023233
You have to drop your current weapon in order to switch. No, not sheath, literally drop it.

Why the fuck would you switch between a greataxe and a longsword in the first place?
>>
>>55023246
Keen mind is always good.
>Can accurately recall anything you have seen for a month
>Paint accurate portraits of anyone ever
>>
>>55023245
But you don't have fall for the meme. Get war caster when able and cast spells as reactions. You don't even need to go all in because you can get booming blade or greenflame blade with your melee attacks.
>>
>>55023273
Those are two completely different skills.
>>
>>55023042
His magic weapon one-shot a balor (he only swung it at Errtu the one time and stuck it in the balor, after that Icingdeath did literally all the work), and nearly got killed in the process. In fact I do seem to recall him passing out, which in 5e terms could easily be interpreted as him falling to 0 hit points and resorting to making Death saving throws to survive (which, of course, he did), while Icingdeath's ability to oneshot Errtu could easily be interpreted as it one being *much* more than just a simple frostbrand scimitar - some kind of anti-fire demon weapon - but its last charge ability to do such was used up on Errtu.

Or something. The point being that Drizzt has regularly throughout the book series accomplished feats in excess of what I'd peg an 8th level character to do.

This is as well the same book where he helped Wulfgar fight a centuries-old white dragon, the scimitar's namesake, which in modern D&D terms was probably an Ancient. The point being that Drizzt was not 1st level in The Crystal Shard, nor implied to be.
>>
>>55023298
Sure, thats an option if the UAs are available to you.

>>55023307
To an illusion heavy warlock/etc it will be stronk. It has other things too which can combo better like the Chainlock reading lips through his familiar + observant or something. I'd totally give advantage/disadvantage for having an accurate portrayal of an illusiory person.
>>
>>55022414
No, I've remove the Mary Sue characters from my campaign.
>>
>>55023112
Drizzt is a ranger. He's continuously, repeatedly, throughout every single one of his books, referred to as a ranger. Now if his books were unrelated to D&D, you might have something to stand upon, but Drizzt was from the ground-up conceived of as being a D&D style ranger. Not to mention that Drizzt becoming a ranger is a HUGELY important plot point of the third "Dark Elf Trilogy" book, Exile, when he trains under the ranger Montolio, who explicitly is training him to be a ranger and who says that he's a ranger by the end of said training.

And again, this is all within the context of a book series written for D&D - it's not like, say, Naruto, where the "ninja" are more like wizards than any kind of rogue or spy. Because Naruto isn't written with D&D definitions and terms in mind. But not having Drizzt be a ranger would be kind of like statting out Elminster as a Sorcerer instead of a Wizard.

Drizzt training in Melee-Magthere doesn't mean he's a fighter, either, it means he has had combat training. Note that during his "field" lessons in Melee-Magthere, and afterwards, he serves as a forward scout for drow parties, a ranger role.

People who claim that Drizzt should be a fighter are focusing way too much on the fact that he's a decent swordsman, and not enough on everything else about his character.
>>
>>55022840
If it's too strong just make encounters tougher.
>>
>>55023376
The question was phrased as so you could totally just have him get eaten by a dragon if you wanted, or at least thats how I intended it to be written
>>
>>55023384
when you luck into a solo balor slaying you get a huge XP advantage over your party.

>>55023405
right, my bad.
>>
>>55023345
His abilities are so inconsistent and have gone through so many different editions of the game that trying to assign stats to him is pointless.

>The point being that Drizzt has regularly throughout the book series accomplished feats in excess of what I'd peg an 8th level character to do.

The shit he does wouldn't even pass for a level 20 character in 5e.
>>
>>55023349
Wat, bb and gfb are in the SCAG.
>>
>>55022995
The idea at least works with anything big enough to ride, even if the rule doesn't say so.

>>55023089
>>55023048
>>55023142
At level 5, the character has about 45 HP, 17 or 18 AC depending on wealth, sports two attacks with a greatsword and 18 strength, and is backed up by strong short rest abilities. Clearly it's suicide to send this battle master into melee combat.
>>55023245
It takes one invocation at level 5 and one more at level 12 to fight as a bladelock. If you feel you'll use the ranged attack often enough, you can spend one more on agonizing blast anyway. Compare that to agonizing blast at level 2 and book of ancient secrets at level 3 and it's honestly a lot more flexible.
>>
>>55023233
It's not a problem often enough for me to devote brain space ruling over it.
>>
>>55023411
Even then. I'm playing with people who have no idea who he is or who any of the notable bitches of faerun are, so I just cut them out.
>>
>>55023440
I'm running a game for people like that and i just kinda want to put him in to see if they get it, if not they need to learn this shit somehow
>>
>>55023431
Or even 16 strength with war caster, if feats are available. You're playing a bad ass.
>>
>>55023246
Keen Mind, Inspiring Leader, Skilled, Observant...

May I suggest you suggesting to your DM a rod of the Pact Keeper Refluffed as a paint brush?

I assume your going Pact of the tone Refluffed as a portfolio
>>
>>55023384
>no favored enemy
>no real ranger training
>no ranger spells
>foil is a Fighter

But let's not pretend the books are consistent in how characters are described. Entreri is always referred to as an assassin despite being a Fighter/Rogue multiclass.
>>
>>55023431
Where are you getting 17-18 AC with light armor and a greatsword and 18STR and any CHA for lifedrinker@12?
>>
>>55023414
Off the top of my head, Drizzt prior to The Crystal Shard had already fought...

In the Underdark:
- Drow of various varieties, including at least one fully-trained Priestess of Lolth (his sister...Briza, I think?) and one wizard
- Tons of Underdark monsters, including a basilisk single-handedly
- A crazy human wizard
- Mind flayers, including an Elder Brain (I think Guen technically killed the Brain, but as Guen is a magic item in Drizzt's possession, he gets the XP)
- Some kind of revenant zombie thing that Zaknafein Do'Urden had become, to a standstill each time (although he should only get XP from the last encounter with Zak)

Once on the surface, he fought:
- Two barghests (which had been gorging themselves and were quite powerful, probably beyond the standard barghest in power) and countless goblinoids
- Countless orcs
- A number of giants
- A crazy human hunter
- Hephaestus, an ancient Red dragon

Technically he didn't fight Hephaestus directly, but rather made use of bluffs and misdirection to get past him. However it is worth noting that in D&D to get experience you only need to OVERCOME a challenge - you don't necessarily need to fight or kill anything. Thus Drizzt would have gotten experience for things he fought and overcame.

He lost most of his fights with Zak and circumstances arose to prevent Zak from killing him, so those weren't worth XP, but the final encounter where he got through to Zak and allowed Zak to throw off Zin-Carla for a few moments, allowing Zak to kill himself, would.
>>
>>55023273
That's definitely an option, I've been considering it for a while.
>>55023476
I don't think they're much of a leader-type. I was considering Prodigy instead of Skilled as well, but I dunno how well Observant would fit.
Only alternative I can think of is like, Magic Initiate for some more cantrip diversity, since a few of them are just for style and such.

Oh, and I was absolutely going to flavor my tome as a palette moreso, and the focus/rod as a brush, definitely.
>>
>>55023531
Variant Human or Mountain Dwarf and start with 17 Str, raised to 18 with Heavily Armored at level 4.
>>
>>55023572
>>55023476
>>55023273
Also, current cantrips after Tome are;
EB
Toll the Dead
Dancing Lights
Prestidigitation
Guidance (From Tome, swap for Shillelagh and beat people with a brush?)
>>
>>55023349
Nothing he mentioned is UA. Also not being able to use UA sounds awfully unfun.
>>
>>55023531
Alternatively, if you know what AL modules to play for example, Half Elf with Gauntlets of Ogre Power. Take 18 Dex at level 4. But that's harder on invocations.
>>
>>55023478
>no favored enemy

If you'd care to read The Crystal Shard, the glee he expresses when fighting several varieties of giants, and extensive knowledge of their tactics and abilities, makes a strong case for Drizzt's favored enemy being Giants.

>no real ranger training

Honestly I don't know why you're even taking part in this debate when you clearly haven't read the books. He had training in scouting in Melee-Magthere in Homeland; his practical experience living in the wild during his 10 years of isolation in Exile could also be used as justification; and of course there's Sojourn where, in fact, he explicitly receives training to be a ranger.

>no ranger spells

There's such a thing as a spell-less ranger. It was literally one of the first UA's that came out.

>foil is a Fighter

His foil is, by your own admission, a Fighter/Rogue, the Rogue aspect of which is almost certainly the Assassin kit.
>>
>>55023584
K, well that is definitely more along the lines of a melee fighter. I kept bringing up AC throughout this and all I got was tempHP & mirror image in response.
Also got
>play the character not the spreadsheet dont need to minmax
We all know that's not true. Of course it's possible for any class to get pretty ridiculous AC when you focus it hard enough.
>>
Does the Revised Ranger Beast Master companion benefit from all features of natural explorer, or only travel pace?
>>
>>55023384
Much like Minsc, Drizzt is a victim of the rules for rangers changing from edition to edition. In 5e it doesn't make a ton of sense that Drizzt never casts spells and his animal companion is clearly a magic item and not a class feature. But whatever, he's a legacy character. Characters in D&D novels have been breaking the game rules since Raistlin.
>>
>>55023644
As a quick aside, Drizzt might be better served by being a Fighter/Ranger multiclass, but I personally prefer him as a single-class Ranger, and in any event in any Fighter/Ranger multiclass build for him he should almost certainly have Ranger be the more prominent of the two classes.

He spends his spare time wandering the wilderness, for Chrissake, or at least that's what he as of Sea of Swords (which is, again, the last Drizzt book I read).
>>
>>55023644
In AD&D 1e you didn't pick a favored enemy; it had to be giants. So that still makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that a ranger of his level should get both cleric and wizard spells. Yeah, rangers were weird.
>>
>>55023625
Shillelagh is a gift to gishies, not sure you should attempt that as a supportlock. Otherwise ask DM if your brush is a club.
>Giant two-handed paintbrush doubling as quarterstaff
>>
>>55023645
Not that it'd be the end of the world to trade one or two AC if you're getting crowd control or prodigious amounts of temp HP instead.
>>
>>55023572
Inspiring Leader doesn't really have to be about Leadership. You could for example Refluff it as Refluffed version of the Bards song of rest feature, where you take the time to tell your party about the beauty of the world around them the way you see it.

You can even Role-play the speech out by "DMing" at your party members

>Look at what an odd place we're in fellows. The way clouds sprawl over the cerulean skies, like fingers of a gentle God caressing the heavens into a nightly slumber. I wonder if tonight there'll be stars.
>Oh friends, didst thou truly see the face of sweet Ireena? The way her lips curl down her ivory cheeks, the sway upon the lines of a defiant heart? She who in a world of downcast backs stands proud and righteous? There is Beauty in the world and finally the gods have given us men of ugly lives the chance to catch it!
>>
>>55023725
No, totally not the end of the world but I'd still require a character to have SOMETHING to disengage/mitigate spikes of damage. Disengage, that tomb invocation, something. Low AC is where the shit can turn bad in melee (or ranged) combat fast.
>>
>>55023625
If you grab Shillelagh, it gives you the chance to reliably Green Flame Blade
>>
>>55023667
Rangers have cast spells since they were first created back in the 70s, so the fact that Drizzt never casts spells but is nevertheless supposed to be a Ranger has never made much sense; it's got nothing to do with edition changes and more to do with the fact that Salvatore was trying to make Strider in dark elf form, not a spellcaster. In any event, the spell-less ranger variant in 5e is a simple enough solution to the problem.
>>
>>55023713
>>55023754
It's more of an "emergency backup plan"
And I've already sorted out that it could be allowed as a club/quarterstaff, too.
>>55023732
My character's a bit uh...nonsensical unfortunately, I'm not sure if they would, but you've definitely made it a good bit more convincing. It'd probably just be a rant that sort of just goes on and on without much stopping, gushing about every little thing they see and the possible applications for ART
>>
>>55023644
>If you'd care to read The Crystal Shard

Not even going to deal with you when you bust out /v/-tier arguments like this.

Drizzt was always a thrill seeker in the early books. Might as well say dragons were his favored enemy too.
>>
How hard would it break Storm King's Thunder if I gave the Barbarian a Giant Slayer Axe?
>>
>>55023824
Would be helpful, but I don't think it would break anything too hard
>>
This might sound stupid, but could someone who practiced Necromancy - in a place where Necromancy was illegal - still be Lawful Good?
The character himself is one of the nicest guys ever and would never use necromancy for anything bad.
>>
>>55023840
As in a Wizard necromancer?

Sure. I mean, if someone didn't study Necromancy, how would you competently stop all the bad necromancer going around?
>>
What should I do if I'm LFG as a player in 5E? I haven't played in years
>>
>>55023894
-Ask your friends
-Go to FLGS
-Search online for RPG groups in your area
-Find a Roll20 (or similar) group (never done this, so I don't know where to go for this personally)
>>
Anons? Do you think it's possible to make a non-gamebreaking PC writeup for Driders?

If yes, how? My kneejerk idea on the subject is to just say "take the Drow stats, but you replace Drow Weapon Training with Spider Climb 30 feet".
>>
>>55023981
Take the Mongrelfolk stats in Curse of Strahd and adjust to your liking
>>
>>55023981
>homebrew
>in /5eg/
You're gonna have a bad time.
>>
I want to make a PDF for my campaign setting, what would be the best program to do it in? I want it to have a semi professional look.
>>
>>55022676
Everybody can already disarm, shove, and trip. Battlemasters advantage is that they can do it AND deal a "crit" worth of damage in one attack, rather than choosing to disarm OR deal damage.
>>
File: rs-171124-139042159_10.jpg (87KB, 660x657px) Image search: [Google]
rs-171124-139042159_10.jpg
87KB, 660x657px
Are sorcerers OP if you have them using Spell points, merging the pool with Sorcery points?

Pic related, player I'm DMing for wants to go for a shrink sorcerer.
>>
>>55023761
Aragorn cast spells. The whole reason nobody knew the medicinal pelroperties of athelas was that it isn't a medicine at all; it's a material component for a spell.
>>
>>55023961
Oh I meant online, I live in a hole in Europe where nobody plays TTRPG... are there no threads here on /tg/ dedicated to this sort of thing? Is it worth looking at roll20?
>>
>>55024056
No it just means past level 10 or whatever they get even more potential 1st-5th spell slots. They can only make 1 spell slot of the higher tiers.
>>
>>55023873
Yeah, a Wizard.
Now, unless my DM lets me play as a young human, what fits the "innocent kid" look better; Halfling or Gnome? I'm aware Gnome has better stats for a Wizard but I'm more into the character idea than I am into the stats.
>>
>>55024056
They're certainly stronger, unless you give them fewer points than normal, because as written they experience diminishing returns when exchanging slots and points, and also they can't create a slot higher than 5th level. And they're already good, so I'd say don't do it
>>
>>55020589
Warlock. It even has War in the name!
>>
On one of these threads a few weeks ago, there was a bunch of roll20 macros. Do any of you wonderful people have a link to those?
>>
>>55019458

Forge Cleric, Lore Master, Drunken Master.
>>
>>55024023
I mean, the obvious answer is InDesign, but maybe you don't want to go all the way professional.
>>
I played with a group at my FLGS where a houserule was that a player can dual wield a non-heavy weapon and have a light weapon on the off-hand even without the Dual Wielder feat. Apparently, something about how it's not too farfetched for a rogue to wield rapier in one hand and a dagger on the off-hand.

At one point, I see it but on the other hand, I can't help but feel this might be too much esp at level 1 where a player can do 2-12 damage with a rapier/dagger combo.
>>
>>55019876

How to fix sorcs: remove them and give metamagic back to everyone else

We have enough cha casters as is.
>>
>>55024245
>Lore Master
kill yourself.
>>
>>55024291

We need a generalist wizard.
>>
>>55024305
yeah but what we don't need is that overpowered piece of shit.
>>
>>55023840
It's possible, but it's a cliche at this point that you may want to avoid.

As far as a lawful good character breaking the law, you have to be sincerely, openly opposed to it on moral grounds, and you have to have a specific, self-consistent native law or code of conduct that you follow in its place, and you have to view civil disobedience as a last resort when it is the only way to avoid doing evil. As part of his respect for legitimate authority, a lawful good character will even follow laws he disagrees with if he doesn't actually believe the laws are evil. Your lawful good necromancer may believe that laws against necromancy are silly and misguided, but he should still accept them because they're made in good faith for the purpose of preventing evil things such as corpse theft and uncontrolled rogue zombies eating people's brains.
>>
>>55024313

The last two features and the expertise aren't bad though.
>>
>>55024373
except it's straight up stealing the bard's schtick.

Lore wizard needs it's own thing, not stealing the best stuff from the other casters
>>
>>55024413

Bards get to permanently add spells from other classes at levels as low as 6 with lore bard.

Lore master gets to cast a spell from another class once per long rest, and only once they reach level 14.

I think bard's fine. Honestly the whole point of "Lore" subclasses is having knowledge that goes beyond others of your clads.
>>
>>55024305
Yeah, that's the Arcana Cleric with the ritual Caster Wizard feat.
>>
>>55024464

I think you forgot the WIZARD part there m8.

As in INT CASTER
>>
>>55024413
>it's straight up stealing the bard's schtick
"It steals the bard's spell stealing" is really the weakest objection to the tradition.
>>
>>55024497

Bards steal completely, wizards borrow for 1 casting per day.
>>
>>55024354
What if he understands why the law exists, but he's just naive and expected people to be okay with him doing it because his original intent was just to try and bring his parents back (Which he fails). Unfortunately for him, rumours about it began to spread so he lost all his friends and everyone in the city began to fear him, so now he just uses necromancy to summon himself a few friends that won't abandon him.
Maybe Neutral Good instead?
>>
>>55024266
Well I mean the rogue can just start as a variant human and use two rapiers from get go.
>>
>>55024072
Again, I don't really know as I don't do online RP. I know there is a dedicated thread on a certain Other Chan (not sure if mentioning them by name is still a bannable offence).
>>
>>55024514
Yeah, that is not a lawful character. Also not an intelligent character.

How did he learn enough magic to cast Animate Dead without learning that it's not the same thing as Raise Dead?
>>
>>55024472
Then if you simply must go UA, there's always Theurge Wizard: Arcana Domain
>>
>>55024602
That's just a cleric wizard, not a generalist.

Imo a generalist has improved flexability through either an expanded spell list, ability to reprepare spells, ability to force saves to fail.
>>
>>55024685
Thing is Anon, asking for a versatile Wizard is like asking for a Charismatic Bard.
The very term is redundant
>>
>>55024732

A wizard whose features apply to ANY SPELL as opposed to only spells from a specific school.

A wizard that doesn't feel like he's missing out on any of his features by not casting a certain school.
>>
>>55024514
Breaking the law because you think you won't get caught is very chaotic evil.
>>
>>55024758
well what sorts of features could you get that wouldn't just empower one school/style of spell?
>>
>>55024778

Disagree on the evil part, but it is chaotic
>>
>>55024778
chaotic NEUTRAL
>>
>>55024593
Neutral Good is fine anyway. This is why I'm asking here, got a lotta kinks to work out.
Like the intelligence thing you mentioned. He'll have to be smart, but I was thinking maybe low Wisdom could represent his naivety.
He's not learning exact spells, he's learning through trial and error. He has no tutor or clear-cut spellbooks, only unclear musty old tomes.

>>55024778
Not because he thinks he won't get caught, but because he thinks the guards would be kind and go "Oh, ok, I understand why you're doing this."
>>
>>55024792

Well, lore master already has some good ones, like swapping out a prepared spell for another prepared spell, or being able to alter saves every now and then (though they should have made it limited to physical can only become physical and mental can only become mental.)
>>
What the fuck skill do I make my players roll to make a forgery, please respond ASAP
>>
>>55024793
>>55024800
Breaking the law because laws are constraining is chaotic neutral. Breaking the law because you know you can get away with it is chaotic evil. A chaotic neutral character would disagree with the law because all laws are bad. A chaotic evil character could agree that the law is in everyone's best interest, but break it anyway because everyone else's best interests don't matter as much as his own.
>>
>>55024758
Which is why I said Arcana Domain Theurge.

Get your Core wizard shit, your generic Arcane shit, your cleric shit for extra versatility, hit level 14, grab the ability to cast Wish and whatever the fuck is the 8th level equivalent of the Wish Spell, and then múlticlass into whatever you want like Sorcerer for Meta Magic your absurdly generalistic Wizard spells, or Bard for Jack of All Trades, or Druid for the only ritual spells you're still missing, or Cleric so that you can write down all the Cleric Spells in the world that your missing into scrolls, and then copy those scrolls into your spell book, and then prepare them as a Wizard caster.
>>
>>55024881
Pure int check.
>>
>>55024881
>>55024901
Forgery is like the ONE use of INT outside Whizzards these days.
>ASAP
>Still going to take a week to forge shit
>>
>>55024890
then the CE in your example isn't breaking laws because he can get away with it, he's breaking laws because "fuck everyone else"
There is a difference.
>>
>>55024881
SKILL CHALLENGE AHOY

They are crafting a product, not making a check.
Put a value onto the product of their craft, think of how long does it take for someone to craft something of that value with no time constraints, think of how hard would it be to make a rush job of it.

But then comes your question, what type of rolls? Well, let them suggest you!

Inteligence to make sure they caught all the details, dexterity to make sure all the signatures are in place, Charisma to make sure forensic caligraphists won't notice the handwriting came from a girl!
>>
>>55024881
Proficiency with Forgery Kit. And i bet you though tool proficiencies to be stupid, huh?
>>
>>55025053
Take all their ideas, all their failures and successes, and then adjudicate the product of this items Deception DC that an Inteligence Investigation check would have to pass in order to identify it as a forgery!
>>
I'm running SKT right now and we just got to chapter 4.

The party mostly skews good right now, should I just skip the whole Burial Mounds thing (defiling ancient burial grounds seems bad?) and give them immediate access to all the Giant Lords?
>>
File: 1484639951142.jpg (152KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484639951142.jpg
152KB, 1280x720px
>>55019254
>GM or Player
DM
>System(s)
D&D 5e +
Anything not in Core PHB requires my A-OK approval
>Time availability
Every Sunday at NOON (EST / GMT -4)
>Text or Voice
Voice in Discord
>Contact Information
Discord: https://discord.gg/qUDyCZG & @dnd
Roll20: https://app.roll20.net/join/2315169/R6_lZg
>Additional Information
it says Part 7 because its the 7th Campaign I've ran doing Dark Fantasy Dungeon Crawlers
you haven't missed anything don't worry

Basically a really edgy bloodborne ripoff where the players are hunters fighting beasts

any and all are welcome to attend
I require 4+ people for a session to start

@ Me in Discord when you get in, and I'll get you your roles & sheets
>>
I haven't played D&D in a long while.

Sell me on 5e, what does it have going for it?
>>
>>55024153
They sorta suck when compared to bards and wizards, really.
>>
>>55025121
NO, looting the mounds is fun
>>
>>55025142

Easy to learn, simple to run.
>>
>>55025142
It's like 3e and 4e had a mutant baby. For real though it's a lot of slick streamlining and more room for fluff DESPITE the classes being more static in progression.
>Every class has features at specific levels
>Every class has subclasses
>Every subclass has different features at specific levels
Very quick to run through, not a lot of inconsistencies in the splatbook-styled-pdf shits though very very inconsistent balance and false options throughout but that's not even new.
>>
>>55025155
I'm not 100% sure how to run them. Does the party just fly up in their airship and then root around for like 8 hours?
>>
>>55025249
Yep, its a super good time
>>
For a new DM would you consider making your own campaign or grabbing one of the adventure books?
>>
>>55025284
Probably a book
>>
>>55023694
Seriously? Why?
>>
>>55025284
grab one of the premades that isn't Horde of the Dragon Queen or The Ride of Tiamat
>>
>>55025284
Grab a book, that way if/when you fuck it up you can blame the book.
>>
>>55025311
Well, I MEANT The RISE of Tiamat, but you probably don't want the Ride of Tiamat either, unless you're a filthy scalie.
>>
So which book would you recommend for a group that's all pretty new to 5e, though not new to RPGs?
>>
>>55025338
>not wanting to have a good time with the queen of evil dragons

You baby would be a very powerful sorcerer or a half dragon or borh
>>
>>55024554
Aight thanks!
>>
File: aboleth_by_nanya.jpg (333KB, 744x850px) Image search: [Google]
aboleth_by_nanya.jpg
333KB, 744x850px
What are some interesting motivations for an Aboleth who wants to ascend into godhood by consuming the essence of a GOO?

I mean, revenge against the gods is out of the table since, in the setting, there's no actual proof that the gods exist, or that they had any part in creating/transforming the world.
>>
>>55024900

Honestly? I love bard mechanically but I prefer the flavor of wizards, and the usage of INT to cast simply because I prefer a bookish person to a charismatic one.

If they're going to make a cleric subclass for wizards, I'd like a bardic one too, which is why I like the concept of Lore Master.
>>
>>55025387
while the 5 headed blowjob is enticing, it's also 5x the nagging.
>>
>>55025434
Is it a good idea to have a one night stand with a literal goddess, it would be fairly easy for her to find you
>>
>>55024881

Dex if it's for a signature, int if its for a whole legal doccument, cha if it's for a letter impersonating someone
>>
>>55025451
my greek mythology says it's a terrible idea.
>>
>>55025121
It's up to you, the other option is that they have to go to the tribes and convince the chiefs to give them the items I guess.
>>
>>55025426
>Plan is to ascend to godhood by consuming essence of a GOD
>There's no actual proof that the gods exist, or that they had any part in creating/transforming the world

That.. Seems a bit weird of a motivation then. Unless you mean it in a more metaphorical sense. But. Yeah. Doubly so for an Aboleth, that has racial memory back to the dawn of time.
>>
>>55025284
Use premade adventures but make your own world/use a world your familiar with. Having an idea of the lore of the world makes dming a WHOLE lot easier
>>
>>55025491
GOO. Great Old One. Interdimentional superbeings.

The aboleth means to ascend in power, not in the sense of being worshipped into a pantheon or something.
>>
File: Enutrof_male.png (111KB, 365x300px) Image search: [Google]
Enutrof_male.png
111KB, 365x300px
How would you play a prospector/treasure hunter?
pic related
>>
>>55025451
>one night stand

>not making romantic love to her by candlelight
>not eloping with her and getting married
>not raising beautiful half dragon sorcerer children with her
>>
>>55025568
Whoops, read it wrong. My bad.
>>
>>55025596

Pretty much any character with Investigation and a love of money, probably. Possibly History if he goes after known treasures.
>>
What would bringing an old god back to the world do?
>>
>>55025387
>>55025434
Tiamat in human form would probably be hot. Would fug the evil goddess
>>
>>55025651
the BEST case scenario is a heavenly struggle for old domains between old and new god(s)

which is, in a word, bad.
>>
Can we expect artificer to be in the guide to everything?
>>
>>55025635
Nature too. Got to understand them rocks.
>>
>>55025651
Depends entirely on the setting.

For example, in Toril that shit happens literally all the time and nobody cares anymore. In Krynn it would completely destroy the world unless another god of the same alignment chose to step down because muh balance
>>
>>55025725
hopefully not "as-is"
>>
>>55025725
No, mystic and artificer are going to get a revision via DMs Guild later this year that will be AL legal for wider playtesting. Don't expect them published til the end of next year at the earliest.
>>
>>55025306
Don't ask me; ask Gygax's ghost.
>>
>>55025044
If you fully accept that a given law is best for everyone else and choose to break it anyway, then by your actions you are indeed saying "fuck everyone else."
>>
>>55025841
so jaywalking is evil?
>>
>>55023694

Giants are a fucking menace, anon.
>>
So what classes/subclasses do you guys think will make it into XGE?
>>
>>55025306

Because Gygax was fucking stupid.
>>
>>55025871

*Meant for >>55025306.
>>
>>55025596

Inquisitive Rogue?
>>
>>55024881
A forgery kit is a tool. As such it does not use a skill proficiency; it uses a tool proficiency. To use a forgery kit you make a Dex check, plus your proficiency bonus if you're proficient in forgery kits. Int is irrelevant because no matter how smart you are there's no way you're going to memorize every detail of an official document without having an original on hand to copy from.
>>
>>55025725

Nope, no new classes in Xanthars.

People think they're being made for a Eberron player's guide, but the thing is the Artificer is all wrong for Eberron, since Artificers aren't meant to be casters.
>>
>>55025919

Well, it's possible they'll get retooled-no guarantee any of the UA options will see "official" release without modification. I would be interested in seeing an Eberron book, but God knows how long that'll take at this pace.
>>
So, our party managed to convince a midboss-tier CE drow cultist to safely guide us to his boss' base in return for not slaughtering him like we did his minions, what precautions should I take to make sure he doesn't murder us all in the middle of the night?
>>
>>55026026
Restrain him? Geas? Put yourself in a space where he cannot attack you, like Tiny Hut?

This shit is meaningless unless you tell us levels and classes involved.
>>
>>55025859
Yes. In a small way, it's violating a principle you know to be best for everyone because it promises a small benefit for yourself.
>>
>>55025306
Part of the reason was the lack of templated creature types in AD&D. Thete were no "humanoids," for example, so the Charm Person spell had to literally list every race it could affect. Same with rangers' bonuses against giants. This resulted in no features that let you choose a creature type.
>>
>>55025679
Literally shit tier, only one head
>>
>>55026200
yes but you'll never accumulate enough "evil points" to ever register as evil from jay walking, just like you wouldn't from stealing. Willfully breaking a law is not enough. being willing and eager to break laws only nets you "Chaotic"

"Evil" requires something more, not merely being selfish, you have to have a desire to cause suffering, even if you never actually act on that desire.

The character who was originally be talked about had no desire to harm others, he broke the nation's laws, yes, but Good people, even LAWFUL GOOD people can break laws.
>>
>>55025623
But like tanon said
5x the nagging
>>
>>55026393
>trapping immortal souls inside undead abominations ISN'T causing suffering

I want all you filthy necromancy apologists to leave.
>>
>>55026393
You can't detect alignment in 5e, so you won't register as 'evil' in the first place. Detect Evil and Good works to show extraplanar entities.

But yes, occasionally breaking some minor laws won't make you evil.
>>
>>55026680
it's up to the DM to decide if casting such a spell is an innately evil act. I'm just saying that the character's motivation was not inherently evil, certainly not enough for his alignment to be "evil"
>>
>>55026681
>You can't detect alignment in 5e
Yes you can.
You just gotta true polymorph/shapechange into a sprite and use heart sight and have them fail the dc.
Easy.
>>
>>55026681
you may not be able to detect it, but there are still a handful of things that react one way or another to alignments, even in 5e. Certain magic items, for example.
>>
>>55026784
or just be a third level chain warlock and ask your familiar to do it for you.
>>
QUICK SOMEONE MAKE A THREAD, WE'RE GOIN DOWN
>>
>>55026681
>>55026393
D&D alignment isn't utilitarian; it's about intention. Plenty of evil characters have never murdered, just as plenty of good characters have never sacrificed themselves to save another. If your intention is 100% about yourself at the expense of the dignity of all other sentient life, you are evil whether that mindset leads to genocide or only to being loud in a theater.

If you want an RPG where no amount of jaywalking will corrupt you past a certain point, play World of Darkness.
>>
New thread:

>>55027108
>>55027108
>>
How does ritual caster work, If I have 13 wis can I take wizard rituals and vica versa
Thread posts: 435
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.