[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 402
Thread images: 42

File: 1476870503967.jpg (34KB, 524x617px) Image search: [Google]
1476870503967.jpg
34KB, 524x617px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:>>54994138

What does your party do in their downtime?
>>
Are there any relatively short primers on forgotten realms? I want to run some of the AL modules, but I can't find any short introductions to FR. I'm thinking about just converting them to Eberron
>>
>>55006004
>Are there any relatively short primers on forgotten realms?
The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
>>
>>55005957
Drink lots of ale and wine, they drank so much that I homebrewed a prismatic ale that gives them weird little effects on a failed constitution save.

They also like looking for Fighting Clubs and Fighting Rings to get some money, which is quite tricky to find considering most of the time they are illegal in most locations.
>>
File: konosuba-aqua-sulk.png (466KB, 1038x582px) Image search: [Google]
konosuba-aqua-sulk.png
466KB, 1038x582px
Has anyone tried to port the blackguard to 5e? I know technically Oath of Treachery is the new blackguard, but it doesn't feel right. Oathbreaker too, just feels like a necromancer paladin.
>>
>>55005973
Just make a small flowchart of what you think they might do in town. Don't be afraid to call a short break to do some more planning.
>>
>>55006184
Any of the oaths could be fluffed to blackguard, theoretically.
>>
File: aqua-72066.jpg (29KB, 300x415px) Image search: [Google]
aqua-72066.jpg
29KB, 300x415px
>>55006201
Right, but I'm not talking fluff, I'm talking mechanically. The toad/bat familiar, the harming instead of healing, all of that. I can't refluff cure wounds as inflict wounds.
>>
>>55006257
I would totally go along with replacing radiants with necrotics but healing isn't the same as positive energy damage anymore so not exactly a 1:1 kind of option. Hmm.
>>
Anyone have any story ideas for a very high level oneshot?

Should I do the oneshot railroady, or should I let it take place in a small demiplane which is sandboxy?
>>
Alright, I'm making a Kensei VHuman. I don't want the Mobile feat, so instead I'll be using this to take advantage of giving me 8/16/14/10/16/10 and some fun things to play with while fitting with my character. Originally I was going to take a standard human but holy SHIT they're garbage.

My options here are;
Human Determination (WIS/DEX)
Prodigy (WIS/DEX)
Perceptive (Already proficient)
Acrobat (Already proficient)
Observant (WIS, for 20 passive perception shenanigans)

Any ideas?
>>
>>55006321
Party is trapped in a demiplane kinda like a museum and hunted down by extraplanar spellcasters who want to add them to their "collection". The only way out is to get to a specific portal, kill the leader, or something else.

In the archive are things from magic items to living but frozen creatures. You could find a legendary sword or the Tarraesque. Could even free the other prisoners and lead a rebellion to get out.
>>
I want to expand on critical hits. Something more than just 'if you get a 20 double damage die rolls' For example maybe in addition to that you roll like a d6 and if you get a six something else may happen.
Does something like this exist?
>>
>>55006413

Since the early 80s there have been crit hit tables as a variant in everything from Dragon magazine to splatbooks. They are usually garbage that slow the game down significantly and lead to way to many swingy as fuck battles
>>
>>55006451
I want it to be rather than just a 20 though. Ive played with tables like that and they do not down the game, but I also like the idea of them. Maybe I'll do this d6 option or maybe a d8. That means they'll only get the table every 1 in 120 or 160 attacks.
>>
So, unfortunately it seems my usual group is falling apart. I want to get in to the AL group at my local store, but have a question about my character.

So, I know for clerics and paladins, the god they worship must fit in to the FR pantheon. Do Warlock patrons have to as well?

My warlock is a patron of a Great Old One, who I have flavored after Hermaeus Mora from the Elder Scrolls.

Will I be kosher doing this in AL? Or will I need to redo his patron?
>>
>>55006532
I want it to be what I was describing*
They do bog the game*
>>
Whats the most clever thing you've done /5eg/?
Heres mine
>Big boss fight in the campeign
>fighting demilich with the soul sucking sidebar
>barbarian's soul gets sucked
>I got lucky with my moonbeam and the demilich rolled low enough to get hit
>demilich is Pissed
>get a telepathic "you're next"
>being a moon druid I spend both my wildshapes to turn an earth elemental
>burrow through the earth
>he can't suck what he can't see
>pop out once a round to hit him and use my moonbeam
>tfw I outsmarted a demilich
>>
>>55006634
He could have just readied the action and waited for you among many other things.
Your DM must be as dumb as me, I always forget to play the enemies smart.
>>
What are some interesting homebrew mechanics that you or your dm employ /5eg/?
I'm looking for inspiration.
>>
>>55006712
I mean the wizard also had him held in place with Bigsby's grasping hand and the martials closed in a turn later so it didn't really have a choice but to figt the martials
>>
We're starting a campaign at lvl 7 and my DM is allowing revised ranger to replace the regular one and the new subclasses, i want to MC deep stalker and thief, should i go 4/3 or 5/7 or all 7 ranger to start? How do you guys think i should do this? Also, any recommendations on race?
>>
>>55006257
I would be tempted to say oath of conquest paladin, with magic initiate for familiar.
>>
>>55006790
>Multiclassing UA

NO.
>>
In an upcoming campaign I'm gonna give the group a chance to claim an old outpost/fortress as their own, albeit in a kind of run down state.

Has anyone actually run a game focused on a player stronghold of some sort? Any tips or advice (or storytime) that anyone can share?
>>
>>55006951
Once the caster gets stoneshape its going to to be a fully repaired fort
>>
>>55005957
Doing a Magic: The Gathering multi-verse campagin. Player wants to play a demi-god. He sent me the link to this https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Demigod,_Variant_(5e_Race), but it seems crazy OP. That said, I want to work with him on this. Do you think taking a PHB variant human but swapping the Skill Proficiency and Feat for Berzerker's Fury and either Colossal Size or Raw power from the "Descender of Rage" divine powers would be reasonable balanced?
>>
>>55007080
>letting anyone play anything from dandwiki
Anon you are better than this
>>
>>55006907
Is it that broken?
>>
Is 23 ac good enough for a land druid X dragon sorcerer 1?
>>
>>55007120
I'm definitely not letting him use the thing wholesale, but I want to work with him to make something reasonably balanced for a bastard son of Mogis. A 1/day Rage in place of a bonus Feat doesn't seem broken.

>>55006790
>>55006907
I too am curious about this. A different player is asking me about multi-classing from Artificer into UA Ranger.
>>
>>55006907
>>55006790
I'm pretty sure UA Ranger is perfectly fine for multiclassing- It's not one of the new subclasses, but rather a "fix" for the original. Not to mention it's the only addition allowed in Adventurer's League, which means it's more than approved.
>>
File: 1492742927928.jpg (154KB, 480x472px) Image search: [Google]
1492742927928.jpg
154KB, 480x472px
So my current character (a LN Ranger from fantasy!USSR) has come into conflict with one of the members of the party (NG Warlock) over various things.
So due to a lack of reason to continue travelling with the party, and frustration at the Warlock attempting to read his mind, the Ranger beat the Warlock into unconsciousness and left the party to follow his own goals (to come back later in the story).

So I'm currently down a character and wondering what other classes are fun to play. The party is a Hexblade Warlock, and a Totem Barbarian who is ridiculously broken and shits out DPS and is impossible to kill. There's also a rogue who doesn't show up half the time.
I don't wanna step on anyone else's toes, but I wanna play something fun.
Wondering what some fun classes are that won't clash with the rest of the party.
>>
File: KANGS, WE WUZ.jpg (27KB, 280x283px) Image search: [Google]
KANGS, WE WUZ.jpg
27KB, 280x283px
I'm DMing the campaign that comes with the starter set (Lost Mine of Phandelver). My group is going to go to Phandalin in their next session.

Any tips for a new DM for running towns, or specifically about this campaign? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>55007301
Have 3 session long shopping montages whenever you can
>>
>>55007251
UA ranger gets too much at level 1. Getting a dip in it isnt balanced.
>>
>>55007353
It is somewhat frontloaded, but it's totally legal.
>>
>>55007353
>>55007409
All the UAs are super frontloaded, "legal" varies. Multlciassing is still a variant ruleset.
>>
A question.
When positive and negative energy are brought together, an explosion occurs, right? Can one harvest or focus the energy released by the explosion in a single direction?
I have an idea for a setting, but I need an answer to see if I have to rework it.
>>
At what point does an AC become too high
>>
>>55007532
20+
>>
Do you think that the hide of a dragon in the (Young) bracket, completely and properly skinned, would be enough to make a set of Dragon Scale Mail?
>>
>>55007532
>>55007540
i.e. level 1
>>
>>55007013
...Okay? Well, yes?
>>
>>55007510
that's an odd question. if you're the DM, why don't you choose the answer that makes your setting work? AFAIK there's nothing in the rules about any of that so you're clear to go.

(let me guess, spaceships?)
>>
>>55007560
Wyrmling young? They have to harden up a bit before they can make effective armor
>>
>>55007325
On a serious note, what are some good ways to make shopping interesting? I get really stumped in shops.
>>
>>55007589
Let them haggle a little but if they want, little things like that
>>
>>55007579
Young Adult young. Venomfang-tier.
>>
>>55007589
Make every shopkeeper an incredibly racist caricature of Jews or Indians.
>>
>>55007622
I still say older adult or ancient, its very rare its not going to be difficult to get
>>
>>55007631
This
>>55007657
I fucked that up real bad, you people know what i mean
>>
>>55007589
Shopkeeps are characters you have to roleplay too. Get a little table of character traits and roll for a few and go from there.
>>
>>55007622
It might be some decent leather/scale for like a potential +1 even without going full dragonsuit.
>>
In my setting some monsters are more susceptible to various materials. For example, monstrosities can only be killed by silver weapons.
What is a good material to use against Fey?
>>
>>55007604
>>55007589

haggling is good, you could also add random encounters to stores, they might run into a guard captain in an odd store or a noble buying some interesting items, you could have an NPC come looking to buy the same thing as the players and there only being one of such items left in stock
>>
>>55007693
gold
>>
>>55007693
Cold Iron
>>
>>55007693
Lead
Playing off the fact Fey are related to fairies, lead is poisonous and Poison is super effective against Fiary in pokemon
Also make it deal 50% of extra damage to elves, because of their fey ancestry
>>
>>55007589
I always flesh out my shopkeepers/shops but I think thats more cause I tend to run smalltown games. Naming the shop is the hardest part, actually filling an inventory that isn't a straight table copied from a book is another interesting way to go.
>Sober Dan's Sundries
Might have general supplies, maybe they've acquired some special shit over the years maybe he's actually a con man or any number of possible sidequest hooks.

His grandfather's sword that hangs over the counter? Maybe it's some good shit but he wouldn't ever sell it unless he was massively in debt to criminals and you helped to settle it
>>
>>55007589
A little economics. Adventurers go places that have stuff adventurers want, and the thing adventurers want most reliably is potions of healing. Potions of healing are hard to make, apparently grown from very rare and temperamental herbs that can't just be grown en masse in fields like wheat. Decide where these things grow wild, who makes them, and scale prices based on how far the ingredients have to travel to get to the end-user. A greenhouse where these herbs are grown would be a centerpiece of an adventuring community, and breaking one fragile pane of glass to let the chill in would be stirring up a hornet's nest of murderhobos.
>>
>>55007738
>>55007693
aren't fey all about the "cold" iron though?
>>
>>55007738
>doesn't know about traditional fairy vulnerability to cold iron in mythology, but does know about Pokemon
People like you are why vampires sparkle now.
>>
File: 1472426963371.png (121KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472426963371.png
121KB, 480x360px
>>55007774
>>55007762
I was just trying to give something different that the obvious choice.
>>
File: metzen-sama.jpg (36KB, 300x339px) Image search: [Google]
metzen-sama.jpg
36KB, 300x339px
What's the best multiclass option for a paladin? He's currently level 5. Oath of Treachery/GWM. And how many levels of other class should I take?
>>
>>55007774
>>55007788
what defines the "coldness" of iron is always open though. Maybe it's some special alloy or a lack of enchantment to make it extra mundane. Can totally stay in the theme without adding contradictory stuff.
>Lead/Iron alloys or gold/iron alloys have more density than iron
>somehow natural background magic enchantment affects them less making them MORE mundane
>Fey being made of magic are super weak to mundanity
"Cold" iron
>>
>>55007693
Iron, for sure.
>>
>>55007851
>>55007847
>>55007738
>>55007713
>>55007709

Can't believe I've never heard of Cold Iron.
Okay next question: farming community has been keeping a Fey creature captive and using it to grow more bountiful harvests.
What kind of Fey is it?

Dryad?
>>
>>55007892
>Dryad?
Probably
>>
>>55007892
A captured dryad would be pretty sweet.

Make her into a leshen once she's freed, so the party has to deal with doing the right thing.
>>
>>55007892
>>55007910
>>55007922
Easy to bind a dryad since they get stuck to trees and shit. Higher level stuff maybe a unicorn?
>>
>>55007892
Titty-cow elf with magical fertilizer milk.
>>
>>55007814
If your DM rules that Rage won't interfere with Channel Divinity/Smit, then Barbarian is always handy for martial types.
>>
>>55007947
Those are celestials tho
>>
>>55007985
really? thats some bullshit. They're fey as fuck.
>>
>>55007983
But what about AC?
>>
>>55007892
Dryads are fairly easy to bully around because each dryad is bound to a specific tree, and it dies if the tree dies. Find the right tree and you get unlimited extortion.
>>
What do I replace gnomes with?
>Lupin
>Aranea
>>
>>55008072
Rat-folk.
>>
>>55007983
Rage would absolutely affect divine smite and channel divinity
>>
>Downtime

People don't sleep and forage in dungeons and just keep going forever?
>>
>>55006257
>Right, but I'm not talking fluff, I'm talking mechanically.
>The toad/bat familiar,
magic initiate find familiar.

>the harming instead of healing, all of that. I can't refluff cure wounds as inflict wounds.
Smite.

it's all there, anon.
>>
>>55008095
Sounds hobotastic.
>>
>>55008095
i'd love to have downtime between dungeons so we could explore aspects of our characters that aren't just "i attack" but whenever downtime starts the whole party clams up
>>
>>55006413
They exist but I haven't found one I enjoyed. Personally, I like doing one of the following

- Critical hits instantly kill goons, bonus instead if target is a named npc
- Critical hits are the same as a normal hit but the DM gives you something extra
- Critical tables only affect PC's or named NPC's
- There are no critical hits
>>
My DM keeps making enemies ignore my Battlemaster because of his 21 AC. How do I force enemies to pay attention to me rather than ignoring me and attacking the squishies?
>>
>>55007814
I had two players run very effective Warlock/Paladins. Can't remember what the level distribution was.
>>
>>55008190
Goading attack, anon, it's in your archetype
you also have tripping attack, shove:prone action, and grapple action
>>
>>55008190
Better positioning is probably all you can hope for. I try to make a distinction between smart and dumb combatants and the smart ones would never engage something they couldn't hit if they have a softer option. Not to mention, 'kill the caster first' is usually sound strategy.
>>
>>55008190
Tunnel Fighter. May require a tunnel.
>>
Would there be any major issues with letting paladins/rangers ritual cast the rituals already on their spell lists? (They would still need to learn/prepare them ofc)
>>
>>55008354
Paladins/clerics only need to prepare the spells, because they know every spell from their book already.
>>
>>55008182
It's hard to measure what a 'goon' is outside its hit die which is basically what your damage is doing already.

>>55008190
You're a BM, you have maneuevers to make them not attack your friends. Thats your shit. You can use PAM w/ reach and Sentinel to double down on that if you're desperate.
>>
>>55008190
This isn't 4e, which means that enemies have free will rather than an irrational compulsion to attack whoever has the most "aggro." All you can do is place yourself well to make it harder for them to go around you. Even if you close distance with them, and even is you use Sentinel/Tunnel Fighter/Goading Attack/etc., they'll still ignore you and go for the casters whenever they can because it's smarter than doing exactly what you want them to do. Even if they're beasts or zombies or something like that, your armor probably muffles your scent to a degree, so the DM could justify some of them shambling past you to get to the softer targets.
>>
>>55006184
Oath of conquest in the UA fits very well
>>
File: fathom horror warlock v0-1.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
fathom horror warlock v0-1.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
New homebrew content.

Get it while it's hot.
>>
>>55007277
Play a wizard. If it comes to it you can probably kill the whole party with ease, provided you're prepared for it.
>>
>>55008562
I'm going to pre-post my hatred of this before reading it.
>>
File: 1462370859484.png (49KB, 180x210px) Image search: [Google]
1462370859484.png
49KB, 180x210px
Anyone got the Mike Schley Lost Mine of Phandelver maps uploaded somewhere? I really don't want to pay $10 for some digital maps.
>>
>>55007814
Sorcerer is a really good multi, as is bard.
>>
>>55008562
>>55008584
me too, i'm calling in a pre-emptive "It's shit"
>>
>>55008562
I hate it less than I thought I would, some notes:
Pact weapons always roll with proficiency so that's redundant in Anchor invoke
>magic resistance on a familiar argument starter
Not sure how Sea Serpent's breath weapon balances against the core Dragonborn one, obviously it has resource cost so should scale better but there is a baseline reference.
>Dragonborn 5d6@16th character level DEX for half damage
vs.
>1d8 to 11d8 +advantage
>using your statistics
>>
>>55008635
When multiclassing those with paladin do you want more paladin levels or more bard/sorc levels?
>>
Anyone else thinks there's loads of empty fucking space in the map of Barovia?

I want to play around and shit in places like Lake Zarovich or the endless svalich woods.

Give me dungeons 5eg, I need dungeons of spiderman!
>>
>>55008730
and as I read further
>The Treasure Tome has fixed DC
bad move. Might be better to scale it to overland movement instead of just '5000 feet.' The concept of there being infinite buried treasure literally every 5000 feet (or multiple times within the same 5000 feet) is kind of ridiculous. That's 15 minutes walk.

Spell balance audit is going to be painful and researchy so I'll just nitpick instead:
Red Tide
>either or or within a body of water
I don't hate them.
>>
>>55008411
That's fair. I usually just use 'goon' to describe an unnamed combatant that I have more than one of. That said, I'm usually more interested in speeding up combats so quickly dropping random dudes that are mostly chaff is desirable in my book. Your mileage will vary.
>>
>>55002128
>Girl is more comfortable, but I feel like a guy might fit in better.
>A butlers traditionally stoic attitude just doesn't mesh well with Rogue, though.
The hunter x hunter butlers should set your understandings straight. Rogue is a set of skills, not an attitude. You can be a butler with rogue skills. You have my permission.
>>55002840
Obviously you were involved in top secret spy ops during the war.
>>55002999
The healing rate is adjustable, PCs only survive if you coddle them, and the plot moves at the speed of raven. The problem isn't the setting, it's that D&D doesn't handle politics and war real well. It's more into exploration and skirmish. If the DM can make politics fun, then it should be fine.
>>
>>55008882
I kinda like the alternate affect idea but replacing normal+ to like roll for
>Normal crit damage
>extra move
>extra bonus action
>extra reaction
>consume an extra hit die of recovery in combat
or something. I like the idea of crits not being a static thing, maybe it was just a more efficient attack than normal and frees up some of that effort not necessarily going to speed shit up though. Balance roll statistics to taste/experience cause I didn't math it out.
>>
>>55008562
Mentioned it last thread, might as well mention it again.
>>
File: timur-dairbayev-octopus.jpg (286KB, 1700x1042px) Image search: [Google]
timur-dairbayev-octopus.jpg
286KB, 1700x1042px
>>55008730
>>55008850

>Pact weapons always roll with proficiency so that's redundant in Anchor invoke

Fair point. I felt it important to specify because an anchor is typically an improvised weapon, but I may remove that bit later.

>magic resistance on a familiar argument starter

Comes standard with any of the Pact of the Chain familiars. I'm thinking that's one of the big draws - your precious familiar is less likely to be nuked by a fireball.

>Sea Serpent's breath weapon balances against the core Dragonborn one

That's not as much the point of balance here, as such. I balanced this against the warlock weapon "Smites" in the Warlocks and Wizards UA. I figured that was a good place to look for damage per spell level for an invocation.

>The Treasure Tome has fixed DC

I can't exactly have it go UP in DC as you advance in levels, that'd be counterproductive and feel like you're getting worse. Likewise, I can't really have its DC go progressively down, because your checks will just get better and better anyway and that'd be double-dipping at making it easier.

I figure the fixed checks are a good way to compromise, because you'll get better at achieving the best effects of the ability over time.

>Red Tide
>either or or within a body of water

Durp. Good catch, fixed it.
>>
Would Spell Slinger work with Animate Objects? Is there a list of spells it works with?
>>
>>55007187
You won't have 23 AC. What makes you think you will have 23 AC?
>>
>>55007251
>Not to mention it's the only addition allowed in Adventurer's League, which means it's more than approved.
Revised ranger is not allowed in AL.
>>
>>55009023
I've actually thought about pact'ing improvised weapons before because technically that would make ANY ITEM potentially a pact item not just a weapon.
>Pact shield
>Pact table
>Pact thieves tools
Possibly game breaking RAW.

The chain stuff is always starts arguments due to different variant familiars in different books.

The tome DC could still be anything circumstantial but if you're falling 5000 feet in the air you're guaranteed to find buried treasure somewhere in the void when you succeed. It's.... not a good mechanic RAW is all I'm saying.
>>
>>55008592
It's in the OP, dude
>>
>>55007187
you know different armor calculations don't stack, right?
>>
>>55007578
Almost.
It's an average lighthearted, medium-high fantasy setting. People are happy, life is good (despite its hardships), magic exists and is quite plentiful. A wizard studies in his tower tirelessly, fascinated by the Planes and their various properties. Then, one day, an experiment shows the interactions between positive and negative energy, and he gets an idea. After a myriad of failed prototypes, he finally creates the Planar Engine, and cuts down production costs enough to make it practical. Luck must be smiling on him when an adventuring party with some serious connections comes across him. They become close friends and agree to advertise and sell the engines for 50% of profits. One year later, they make the first flying machine. The campaign starts five years after their first sale, and no one knows how much the world will change.
It's basically an excuse to make a fantasy Ace Combat setting. It's just an idea, but maybe I'll be able to elaborate on it and make it into a proper campaign.
>>
>>55009091
I actually came up with this "fix" for the bladelock, improving it by turning it into a skill monkey of sorts

Turns into an object which you are proficient with. Turns into a bandore, you're proficient with it, turns into a paint brush, you're proficient with it too.
>>
>>55008960
What I don't like about making it a roll is that it's easy to introduce things that are situationally not useful. Like if you have a space constrained combat, that extra move is always a dead roll. Or an extra reaction on a character that can't use it for reason x or y.

Health and damage are almost always good. Something I do sometimes do is let a critical cause enemies to flee.
> be goblin
> watch follow goblin get cut in half
> decide not getting cut in half is a great idea
> flee

Other things you could put on your roll,
> enemy drops held item
> enemy has disadvantage on his next roll
> enemy's armor is damaged

Really you just want to avoid having a dead roll if you make a chart to roll on.
>>
>>55009145
Yeah that's fair, maybe a point-based buy for your crit die could work but thats sooooo many more rules to go through. Definitely the opposite of speeding up combat.

Also I personally hate stepping on class features' toes with effects so shit like disarms and trips.
>>
>>55008462
How many times do people have to be reminded that 4e never had "aggro" but 3e literally had taunt. UA swashbuckler had taunt too.
>>
>>55009035
I'm an idiot, I meant to type down Spell Sniper.
>>
File: Gintas Galvanauskas.jpg (102KB, 687x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Gintas Galvanauskas.jpg
102KB, 687x1000px
>>55009091
Always been a pretty big fan of pact shields. Lots of potential there.

I love the idea of being able to pull a table out of nothing and hurl it at someone. The only thing, I think, that makes me not like the improvised weapon usage of blade pact is that you might be tempted to use the item you conjure for its intended purpose, instead of clobbering an enemy with a conjured folding chair.

>The chain stuff is always starts arguments due to different variant familiars in different books.

Ah yeah, that particular debate, based on how the Monster Manual vs the PHB depicts familiars. That's mostly about applying the Magic Resistance trait to the familiar's owner, which the Sea Drake doesn't really do.

I actually asked Mearls to settle that back in the day. He said essentially that a warlock's familiar isn't really a "willing" party in that relationship, and as such the Chain familiars are as depicted in the PHB. If a wizard (or warlock too I guess) wants to hunt down a familiar and befriend it, though, THEN the receive the benefit of Magic Resistance themselves.

I realize I probably should've asked Crawford instead, but that's the assumption I always go off of in regards to warlock familiars.

>but if you're falling 5000 feet in the air you're guaranteed to find buried treasure somewhere in the void when you succeed

It's a long one, but somewhere in that mountain of text it states that if there's no treasure within 5,000 feet of you, the ability fails regardless of the result.
>>
>>54994138
>>
>>55009293
>Tome of Tome of Treasure
Oh so it does. Missed that, then I don't really see any problems outside of maybe explicit modifiers based on navigation.
>Foggy or shrouded region
>Hard to navigate
>Plant treasure to navigate by book
I mean.... that could be equally cool too but it still smells a bit ripe for abuse.
>>
>>55008961
looks tight as fuck
>>
>>55006337
I guess not.

On another note, does an Illusionist Wizard styled as a painter sound fun?
>>
>>55006634
I had a tavern from the very start called the Wolf and Raven. On the way to the town, the party found a dead Kenku, and when they got to the tavern, the blonde bartender asked if they'd seen a Kenku anywhere, her co-owner of the tavern. They handed it in as a quest and got some gold and forgot about it.

Cut to two months later, they're quite familiar with the bartender now. She's been giving them tips and guidance, most recently on the local werewolves who've been killing people. They track them down and kill the werewolves, only to find the murders still continuing. They didn't figure it out from the name, but it was there all along.

Bonus points: they encountered one of the other werewolves earlier on, and the tabaxi in the party tried to flirt with him. He said no thanks, I'm more of a dog person.
>>
I need a good idea for a magic item that sounds like a massive advantage for a player when in reality it'll do very little to sway odds in their favour - what are my options? I was thinking maybe the Sentinel Shield or possibly an elaborately described weapon that, say, caused the thing on it's receiving end to roll on disadvantage next turn if it crits. Any other suggestions?
>>
File: OB-quest-A_Brush_with_Death.jpg (207KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
OB-quest-A_Brush_with_Death.jpg
207KB, 1024x768px
>>55009504
Reminds me of that oblivion quest chain with the painting, brush & palette foci?
>>
>>55009512
Lucky for you I'm a dog lover
>>
>>55009512
>tfw your spoiler breaks
>>
>>55009536
>>
There's going to be an event soon where I most likely will have to detonate a bomb in the near-future. Its push-activated, and we have no idea what will happen after we push it. We just know that it will explode. Eventually.

I was thinking about just throwing it on the ground and casting banishment on myself. Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_1157.jpg (36KB, 328x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1157.jpg
36KB, 328x360px
>>55009562
>>
>>55009035
All spells where you roll a spell attack. So no saving throw spells
>>
>Game's players are between 20 and 30
>Player 5 for some reason is 50+

I really don't get why he's here. Its also been 4 months and he still doesn't understand how his character works. He hasn't once used his Paladin smite ability or whatever that charged-blade thing is. We got lucky on the 4th member, but the guy that ends up replacing previous awkward players always ends up being odd himself.

Meanwhile there's people from other groups that want to defect to our's.
>>
>>55008961
Ashen Wolf is awesome,and I'm using it for a villain.
>>
What are the best classes to survive Out of the Abyss?
>>
>>55007510
There are no such things as positive and negative energy in 5e
>>
>>55009871
I mean they're called radiant/necrotic now but they're literally identical. Like how electric/sonic are now lightning/thunder.
>>
>>55008085
No it wouldn't. Rage prevents casting (and concentrating on) spells. Channel Divinity and Divine Smite are not spells.
>>
>>55009531
Clarify? I don't think I ever did that in Oblivion, I never did get around to playing much besides main story.
>>
>>55009985
Oh it's just a painting done with a magical brush(?) that turns into a portal to a magical painty realm with paint trolls and shit.
>>
>>55010003
Huh. Kickass. But yeah, I think I'll be playing that character as a pure support.

But uh, any ideas on the Kensei thing? Anyone?
>>
>>55009916
Any form of water damage or is it just cold?
>>
>>55006716
Custom weapon creation rules. Base weapon starts at 1d8, each property after first drops the damage die by one step. Two hand starts at 1d12. We got like 20 some odd properties.

That plus a tone of house rules.
>>
Just to clarify, burning hands and hellish rebuke are 4d6 and 3d10 when cast at 2nd level respectively?
>>
>>55006712
Do you have to announce, as a DM, that a monster is holding action? Wouldn't that tip off the PCs, and then meta game around it?
>>
>>55010602
Yep
>>
>>55010611
nope, you can just describe what the PCs are seeing. You might want them to roll Insight or Perception if they can see the monster preparing. If the actions are obvious (he shuffles backwards and points a crossbow at you) then they should be able to figure it out themselves
>>
File: IMG_0472.jpg (101KB, 900x1272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0472.jpg
101KB, 900x1272px
>>55005957
tg, I have an issue, I have a homebrew setting with a race of people who have an exoskeleton made of bone, part of their racial I want to be a natural armor if wearing no armor, is this too OP and if not what natural bonus should I give?

Thank you for your aid.
>>
>>55011064
Do 13+dex same as lizardfolk
>>
>>55011064
There's races that have natural armor already. Use that.
>>
>>55010611
Other anon here.

I feel it is fair game to declare it, but you certainly don't HAVE to.
>>
>>55009137
Kind of makes me wish it was "pact of the tool", with an emphasis on exactly that - and in turn "pact of the tome" allowing for proficiency in the knowledge skills. Make them damned versatile.

But that would be kind of ridiculous changes.
>>
>>55010611
If an enemy doesn't attack or take any kind of "Action" during it's turn, wouldn't it be natural for the players to assume that it's holding an action? There's no reason it wouldn't.

You shouldn't need to announce a hold action, your players should be able to make an educated guess.
>>
>>55006321
>one-shot
>sandbox
Why?
>>
>>55011161
Like a mini sandbox. They have a small demiplane to explore, but still have an imidiate goal to fulfill there
>>
>>55006540
In my experiences with AL, none of that will matter. Nobody cares about that, nobody tries to role-play. You just get railroaded through the adventures. Which is the point, I guess, but I didn't enjoy it very much. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>55011254
Sounds like you got delt a shitty AL hand
>>
Yo, my group's starting a new level 1 campaign sometime soon and I'm finally allowing myself to play a Half-Orc Fighter to be the rawest motherfucker I can possibly be.

Exile turned fuck-up mercenary (you know how halfies get treated sometimes) turned adventurer, planning on picking Samurai because the damage mitigation features fit the idea of a pissed off/sufficiently focused half-orc to a T. What are some cool God ideas I could use for this?
>>
>>55011374
You're a fighter, what do you need a god for?
>>
>>55010789
Sweet, thanks heaps bro!
>>
>>55011398
He wan't to be religious duh
>>
Oh yeah, Sorcerer fluff!

In addition to the random and blood-related ways of having sorcerer powers, I always have headcanon that sorcerers can get power by intentionally tapping into their origin as well. Like how bards get magic from music, a sorcerer can get magic by behaving like a type of dragon, or chasing storms, or just gambling like they really worship chance. So when power does manifest from them, there's the lingering question at the end "Did you act like a dragon to become a sorcerer, or did you act like a dragon because you were a sorcerer all along?"
>>
>>55011487
I don't want tumbles the draconic sorcerer, please leave
>>
File: immortals3.png (2MB, 970x3086px) Image search: [Google]
immortals3.png
2MB, 970x3086px
>>55011374
You're gonna have to tell us the setting, otherwise I'm just gonna say go with KA THE PRESERVER.
>>
>>55011487
>dragon sorcs are just otherkin
>>
>>55011398
Religion is often a very relevant part of most settings, so I feel it's a good way to flesh a character out.
The choice doesn't have to be static, and the intensity of worship can vary (still not set on the details), just like no class NEEDS to work under a god save for Clerics yet a lot of adventurers do regardless.

>>55011487
>acting like a dragonkin or stormkin
I kind of see what you're trying to do, but your choice of words is unfortunate. Reminds me of those gem-eating tumblrites.

>>55011546
DM just told me to pick whatever, so I'm probably assume he means FR just to save some time looking for something that suits.
>>
>>55011593
Well, you should still go with Ka because any god can exist in FR if you believe hard enough. The entire Egyptian pantheon showed up there one day.
>>
>>55011613
Source?
>>
>>55011546
>we need one more deity
how about homage to Ben?
>who is Ben?
our janitor
>oh, that guy! sure
but maybe just "Ben" sounds too ordinary...
>>
>>55005957

I'm starting a campaign with a heavy focus on 'stealth ops', where the party gets sent on various clandestine missions.
How do you make stealth more involved and what rules do I really have to get down to run this effectively? I feel like I've never really done the lighting rules well, especially since up until now my campaigns have been high action kick down the door murder everything in the room
>>
File: the beagle.png (622KB, 1024x621px) Image search: [Google]
the beagle.png
622KB, 1024x621px
>>55011619
The Mulhorandi are actual Egyptians from actual Earth who were Asheron's Call'd over by dickhead wizards of the Imaskar Empire because they wanted some slave labor. The Mulhorandi prayed real hard to their old gods, still stuck on Earth, and Ao the Overgod was like "yeah okay you guys can come over too". Poof, straight up Egyptian deities in Forgotten Realms.

Happened the same way for the Orcs (not native to Toril, came out of a gate some assholes stuck under a mountain) and the Dwarves (no one knows how they got there but they're also not native).

>>55011630
Benekander is the immortal reincarnation of a starship engineer from a system without magic who sacrificed himself to prevent his crashed ship's engines from going supercritical and blowing up half the planet instead of just an entire nation. The magic of the planet and the weird energy source powering the ship's engines interacted in some way that turned radiation into its own weird magic-eating power source and eventually kicks off a near-apocalyptic God War over whether or not that's cool.

He's the God of "Not Interfering With Shit", but he interferes with shit. Also, he's green.
>>
File: Lina_Inverse_GF[1].png (133KB, 265x379px) Image search: [Google]
Lina_Inverse_GF[1].png
133KB, 265x379px
>>55011593
>Reminds me of those gem-eating tumblrites.
The what now? Actually, it's probably best if I don't know.

>>55011557
They're all going to be special snowflakes one way or another. I'm just trying to answer what they do in their training that contributes to their gaining of new class abilities in a more concrete way than "nothing/they just get magic."

>>55011524
You don't want a vain, greedy sorceress with a short fuse in your party? Sorry if I triggered anyone.
>>
>>55011745
I might make tumbles my next character, it would hilarious
>>
File: Konosuba_04_17.jpg (384KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Konosuba_04_17.jpg
384KB, 1280x720px
>>55011745
"Vain and greedy" and "behaving like a dragon" contain vastly different connotations my dude
>>
>>55011648
This !
I'm a new to the game and I want to introduce my GF through a One-on-One adventure, based on stealthiness since she showed interest for the rogue class.
>>
>>55006790
Bumping for help, especially on the level distribution.
>>
>>55011863
I mean keeping a hoard and burning people who piss you off, not whatever fetish you're thinking of.
>>
Black Blade of Disaster as a 15th level Bladelock invocation

Some kind of superjuiced up Shillelagh
>>
What kinda music do you guys listen to while you play? I really want find some cool bardic type music for taverns.
>>
>>55011731
>Big and strong
>Green
>''even insulting him can potentially throw him into a murderous rage if he takes it hard enough''

That's fucking hilarious. I guess the appeal of some things (DINOSAUR GOD) is universal.
I'll keep the suggestion in mind, probably weave it into the character after we get some levels; a fucking dinosaur hardly strikes me as a popular kind of deity in a fractioned settng.
>>
>>55012164
>fucking dinosaur hardly strikes me as a popular kind of deity
It could easily be seen as the epitome of the natural world, worshipped by druids, as well as the originator of lizards for lizardfolk/.
>>
File: aghartha.jpg (81KB, 537x551px) Image search: [Google]
aghartha.jpg
81KB, 537x551px
>>55012198
>>55012164
Ka's a big ol' softy. He found the hollow inner earth and populated it with all the races that were going extinct on the surface, making a sweet cultural nature reserve.
>>
>Prepping for a campaign with players who like to do cinematic things like throw enemies through walls, smash load-bearing pillars and tear joists out of buildings
>Thinking about making a 3D map for all battle areas listing the material hardness of all surfaces and objects
This is actually pretty fun, I'm just a little worried about 5e's object damage rules
It's going to be pretty silly when the Barbarian manages to obliterate an Adamantium box with an AC of 23, and then fail to break a plane of glass or tear a piece of paper with their ACs of 13 and 11
>>
>>55012403
>giving a glass pane or a piece of paper AC and HP
Just stop
>>
File: Screenshot_20170822-225849.png (771KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170822-225849.png
771KB, 1440x2560px
How pedenatic a DM are you?

I was reading some errata and I noticed that Somatic components are entirely handwaved by most DMs.

>EK
>Shield in one hand
>Sword in the other
>Constantly casts shield as a reaction
>But wait he didn't have a hand free to make the symbols so he's been cheating for a year

or

>Mage versatiling a staff
>But casting spells at the same time
>Whoa hope you have a hand free buddy and you weren't two handing it
>Or even worse had a staff in one hand and a wand in the other
>>
>>55011941
You don't multiclass UA. Just don't fucking do it.
>>
>>55012443
That's just the recommended rules for object damage in the DMG
It's definitely pretty silly
>>
>>55012642
My dm lets me cast with a staff in one hand and a shield in the other
>>
>>55012642
Amazing anon it's almost like War Caster exists
>>
>>55012756
>An optional feat

It sure does anon.

Do 99% of players have it? No.

Does that mean they're breaking the rules? Yes.
>>
>>55012766
>Do 99% of players have it? No.
I think you may underestimate just how widely war caster is taken
>>
>>55012642
Using a weapon in two hands and casting is fine - you don't even need a feat or anything for that. You only need two hands on the weapon to attack, and you can take a hand off to perform the somatic requirements, then put it back on and continue whacking things when appropriate.

Personally I feel as long as there's no real issue likely to happen, hand wave is fine. You can drop your weapon, cast, and pick it up for free - hand waving it let's you not have to deal with that bullshit. If there's something that would restrict them from just doing that, or there's some risk factor, yes they might need to actually deal with the somatic elements.
>>
>>55012642
They could just be leaving out the part where they drop an item, cast, then pick it back up since that gets really old to mention after about the second spell
>>
>>55012825
Sure in that specific example you could only have one hand on the staff as two handed is only a thing for attacking. But it doesn't account for all the classes that use DW or 1h and shield.

>>55012840
>Drop item

Sure thats doable. Its a free action to drop one thing but then a full action to repick it up on the same turn. But that means they don't have that item til their next round. Which means either a -AC or no AOO.
>>
>>55012890
Pretty sure picking something up counts as your free object interaction per turn m8
>>
>>55012642
I started handwaving all the inane subsystem rules the moment a player made grappling his focus and I realized that grappling doesn't actually work in 5e if you decide to follow the rules for grappling
>>
>>55012925
What about it doesn't work?
>>
>>55012890
Picking up an object is your free interaction; there's no cost for dropping something. You can drop and cast forever, really.

>>55012925
Good man. Item interaction rules are fucking garbage.
>dual wielding sucks
>gotta take a feat just to pull both weapons out on the first turn of combat
>archer can fire eight arrows in a round
>you can't throw three daggers or javelins
>two-handed weapons allow full casting, sword and board or dual wield casting requires feats
It's all horseshit.
>>
File: dergern.jpg (1MB, 1016x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dergern.jpg
1MB, 1016x1200px
>>55006073
I don't think there's any one book that can accurately depict the entirety of the Forgotten Realms. A ton of the wide of Toril, I feel, is up for individual interpretation and imagination. But as for the majority of the Sword Coast, the Adventurer's Guide is a great guide. Another potential boon might be Dungeonology.
>>
File: shields.png (397KB, 533x315px) Image search: [Google]
shields.png
397KB, 533x315px
>>55012965
>shields take a turn to equip or unequip
>they must be strapped to the forearm
>except you can't use the hand they're in
>so they must be held
none of the benefits of either shield style, all the penalties of both
>>
>>55012965
>>55012911
Interacting with an object is your free action. Interacting with a second object is an action.
>>
>>55006073
The Sword Coast is perhaps the second most boring part of Forgotten Realms. None of the books on it ever detail the actually interesting stuff in the region (the ruins of past civilizations), and the most interesting extant civilization there is Amn, which is on the ass-end of the second, broader definition of "Sword Coast" and still seldom covered in detail.

>>55006004
Honestly, you can just plug the name of whatever nation or city you see pop up in your AL book into one of the FR wikis and get everything there. It's such a dense setting that relies on details from a crapload of old supplements that you can't really cram it into anything smaller.

The best you'll do is regional focus books. The earlier AL stuff all focuses on the Sword Coast still, so you can use SCAG, or the vastly superior Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (the south shit) and Volo's Guide to the North.
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II (yes, II) go into more detail on some of the larger cities of the north and south Sword Coast, respectively.

For a broader overview of the geopolitics and history of FR, the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has you covered.
>>
>>55013112
Stop being fucking retarded. Dropping an item isn't an interaction, the same way firing an arrow or getting some magic pixie powder out of your component pouch aren't.
>>
File: 1454324938621.gif (1MB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
1454324938621.gif
1MB, 294x233px
>>55013198
>False equivalency
>>
>>55013272
It's still fucking retarded to make dropping something take your object interaction, which is the point
>>
>>55013013

Pic on left is the wrong way to hold a shield. That person would end up with a broken arm at best and dead at worst in a fight.

Strapped to forearm = bad (and dumb as all fuck)
>>
>>55013272
You're the one saying LETTING GO OF SOMETHING is equivalent to picking it up.
>>
>>55013112
You're obviously under the impression that "not interacting with an item anymore" is the same activity as "interacting with an item" and I don't know where you could have picked up that impression. Dropping prone costs no movement. Dropping a sword costs no action. All you have to do is nothing. Just. Let. Go.
>>
>>55012642
>All these people ignoring the relevant point of the picture
>A cleric can't cast cure wounds whilst having a shield and mace in both hands
>>
>>55013432
>ignoring the workarounds provided in this very thread
Read, black man
>>
Does Moonbeam cause a target under Enlarge/Reduce to return to nornal, or does it specifically only target things with the "Shapechanger" ability, ie: Succubi but not a human with Disguise Self?
>>
VERY new DM here
http://slyflourish.com/5e_encounter_building.html
is this a reasonable encounter guide?
how many encounters of this style would be appropriate for a party of 4?
>>
>>55013177
Thanks, that's fairly in-depth but it's just what I needed.
>>
>>55006540
>My warlock is a patron of a Great Old One, who I have flavored after Hermaeus Mora from the Elder Scrolls.

Millennial trash.

You have no idea what Hermaeus Mora is based on, do you?
>>
So I've seen the Mystic Falcon Punch posted a few times, but I have a question about it.
Turn 1-
>Paralyze target with Hold Person expy
Makes sense
Turn 2
>Bonus Action- Brute Strike
Is doubled by the Paralysis crit, also makes sense
>Action- Bestial Claws
Is doubled by Paralysis Crit again

Here's the question-
>Reaction on hit- Knock Back; "if target hits a wall takes 1d6 for every psi spent"

Does this get the extra Crit damage?
>>
>>55013509
No, shapechanger is a monster type
>>55013525
Don't stress. Eyeball everything and make it up
>>
>>55013927
You got a sauce on that shapechanger bit?

Not that I doubt you, I'd just like to have a link handy for when it comes up in game (as it's likely to next session)
>>
>>55013957
Monsters will be given the (Shapechanger) tag next to their creature type. If you look at the stat block for the Succubus, for example, its type is "Medium fiend (shapechanger), neutral evil". The explanation for tags is given on page 7 of the Monster Manual.
>>
>>55014076
I found it with some googling either way. Its not specifically what I was after but close enough.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/25/do-wild-shaped-druids-or-polymorphed-creatures-count-as-shapechangers-for-moonbeam/
>>
>>55012890
As other have said, opening your hand to drop something doesn't have any restrictions. Picking it back up does. So you can drop and grab an item on your turn and use your single free interaction.

>>55012965
Yeah. Won't deny, there's some wonky shit. I have no problem with things like dual wielding feat allowing non light weapons, but not being able to draw both items unless someone takes a feat is wonky - in the case of casting though, you can just drop and pickup with one hand. Which is wonky.

Throwing is a fucking disaster.

I'm not really a fan of how they managed the object interactions, and how 'basic' things are locked behind feats, which are supposed to be 'optional'.

>>55013112
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/29/what-are-the-rules-on-dropping-weapons/

You can let go of something all you want. Picking it up is what provokes your item interaction cost; opening your hand does not. That's why I am of the opinion unless there's something restricting the players from doing so, or there's some danger of doing so, it can just be implicit.

Keep in mind creatures can do things like ready an action to kick your weapon away the next time you drop it (or just pick it up themselves). Or maybe environmental effects are in place that sweep your weapon away from you. Or maybe there's no reliable ground to drop it on.
>>
How do I become the best warlock I can be? It seems like I can go the scourge blaster route or the deception illusion route, is this true?
>>
>>55014276
obviously, the best way is to be the best dick sucker the multiverse has ever known. Let your patron fill you with their essence.
>>
Anyone who rigidly polices item interaction and free hand spellcasting is autistic and should hang themselves

Who fucking cares if the cleric is holding a shield and mace and wants to cast cure wounds
>>
File: Ludwig.jpg (155KB, 1024x1307px) Image search: [Google]
Ludwig.jpg
155KB, 1024x1307px
My DM and I were discussing how we'd create this guy as a playable character, if we did a fun dumb one-off.
Race doesn't particularly matter, but we're unsure how to get his weapon in. I suggested PotB Warlock/Fighter re-fluffed to have his Eldritch Blasts be his beams, but I'm sure there has to be a better way. I'd really love any ideas you guys might have. Maybe there's an actual beam-shooting blade I'm unaware of or something.
>>
>>55014452
Hexblade Werehorse with an artifact greatsword.
>>
Has anyone run Forge of Fury? How did Nightscale battle go?

Kind of worried about my players are they are dumbasses who forget 75% of of their class abilitiies and never use tactics.

Pitch black darkness, fetid murky water with 10ft. sight range plus devious bastard hit and run dragon. I can easily see my players getting wiped from this guy even if they are over leveled
>>
The party meets an evil/neutral trickster creature that can turn invisible, in the Feywild. What is it?
>>
Joining a 5e campaign for the first time and I'm leaning towards a Rogue Arcane Trickster.

What would my role in the party be? I assume I can't do much face stuff as my CHA is not going to be very high.

Am I a kind of sorta DPS/utility/skill monkey?

What skills should I go after?

Help me build this, I guess.
>>
>>55014566
Cheshire girl
>>
>>55014566
fucking anything, it's the feywild. it's full of dicks.
>>
>>55014579
Take expertise in persuasion and insight bam face
>>
>>55014603
Aren't I better off doing that with stealth and slight of hand though?

Not entirely sure what the rest of the party will be, so the face role might already be covered. I might focus on the more dubious versions of that though, with deception.
>>
>>55013691
Not the same anon, but what IS Hermaeus Mora based on? I would like to know more.
>>
I want to make a setting where it's like, "the discovery of an ultra-rare mineral with magically limitless energy potential has spurred an enormous industrial revolution, and all the world's kingdoms are locked in cold war or active war over those minerals."

I basically want the mineral so I can have a reason for Mad Max-esque battlewagons, explosive tanks, automaton grunts, and facsimiles of modern tech like elevators to be in the setting.

Any advice on how to do this? It's gonna be high magic and kind of kitchen sinky, I've done several grounded campaigns before but my group and I are really itching for something off-the-wall and over-the-top.
>>
The party is made up of a bunch of criminals/outcasts: Burglar, Conman, Excommunicated Monk and Druid (Druidic magic is outlawed by the ruling government). It's more than likely we'll be committing multiple crimes over the course of our adventures. When trying to think of a flaw for my character I thought of the saying "Honest to a fault".

How badly is this going to go? How long before the party leaves me bleeding in the gutter?
>>
would sticking your sword in the ground count as dropping it?
>>
>>55014726
That would be up to your DM. I would say that it wouldn't be the same as dropping it - just because its securely anchoring it.
>>
>>55014726
What about me sticking it up your arse
>>
Making a party and we've got a Druid and a Monk thus far. I think there might be 2 or so more people joining after me.

What's a good role that I could fit in right now and which class/subclass should I pick?
>>
>>55014579
>Am I a kind of sorta DPS/utility/skill monkey?
Pretty much. You should definitely try to discover what are the other people playing and choose your skills around that.

Definitely pick Stealth, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Perception and Investigation. Aside from those, you should try to pick any that the rest of the party lacks. Deception, Persuasion and Insight are always good too.

As for Expertise, Stealth and Perception are the obvious picks, but since you're an AT sleight of hand is much more useful than it normally is. When I played my rogue (1st character btw) I picked Stealth and Acrobatics, then Perception and Investigation at level 6 Sadly the campaign was dropped shortly afterwards

>>55014588
Wasn't there a module that put people in Wonderland, where caterpillar was a Behir and Mad Hatter was a Lich? Can't remember what the cat was, though.

>>55014558
Then maybe you should make the enemies start to use tactics against then before they face the dragon? That way they either shape up or continuously keep almost dying. You may be surprised to see they could rise to the difficulty.
>>
>>55014276
Bumping for aid
>>
>>55014742
Well, 5e doesn't have too much in the way of specific party roles. What do YOU want to play? What kind of character?
>>
>>55014843
I've never really played 5e before, so I'm not sure how everything works with it.

It looks like we have a healer/utility and muscle, so I assume we still need skill/face/magic?
>>
>>55014871
Like I said, party roles aren't really thing. Druids can tank, heal, and damage, monks can CC or DPS, all at any time. Anyone can be a face with enough CHA or Persuasion.

So what do YOU want to do? It's really fucking hard to make a bad 5e party.
>>
>Keep in mind creatures can do things like ready an action to kick your weapon away the next time you drop it (or just pick it up themselves).

heh
>>
File: 1377566896181.gif (674KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
1377566896181.gif
674KB, 245x180px
So since casters typically have an arcane focus either in their hand or as a necklace.

What roll would you use to get an enemy and/or player to knock it off/steal it?

No focus no material component.
>>
>>55015024
Dex attack against AC (necklace) or Dex save (hand).
>>
I'm considering a bard dip, 3 or 4 levels. What are some spells on the Bard list, 1st or 2nd level, that stay useful without the higher-level spell slots or caster levels to scale them up?
>>
>>55014842
>>55014311
gets it

get those lips puckered
>>
>>55014994
It's entirely legit. Same that it's entirely legitimate for you to do it to them - but yeah, it's kind of hilarious. War Caster does exist for a reason, but I really do wish that the reason was for things like advantage on CHA saves, not just "you can cast things with stuff in your hands". There tends to be a lot of stuff I feel is pointlessly locked away.

>>55015024
There's a Disarm rule in the DMG. Use that.

>>55014871
Agreed with other anon's. Do what YOU want to do; ideally you take up an element that others are not necessarily focusing on.
>>
What's your ideal party composition in terms of either classes or roles?
>>
File: 1476315964002.jpg (139KB, 685x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1476315964002.jpg
139KB, 685x1024px
Which class interferes with or has the most control over the battlefield.

i.e. stunning, disarming, knocking prone, moving creatures.

Is it monk?
>>
>>55015203
Man I forgot about disarming and how it's an action that everyone can use. I'm totally going to try and disarm the Wizard in my game now since he just uses a quarterstaff with a focus in the end.
>>
>>55015346
pick any full caster
>>
File: Screenshot_20170822-211856.jpg (1MB, 1440x2091px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170822-211856.jpg
1MB, 1440x2091px
>>55015346
Assuming you're asking about Martials, Battlemaster has a lot of control too. Shield Master makes it even better.
>>
>>55014670
Magic crystals, crystals are always good for that kind of substance, unashamedly steal a name like magicite. Have everyone in a state of cold war or entwined in a clusterfuck of alliances ala Europe pre ww1 since trading for the shit is easier than killing for it. Start the PCs off on a simple courier mission.
Turns out they were delivering a crucial part of the magical Manhattan project and the nation they delivered to now has the means to create magical nukes that put 9th level spells to shame. Other nations figure out what's being done and scrape together their own versions but since they're rushed they're essentially dirty bombs, the fallout induces a sort of magical insanity, starting weak and eventually turning people into full babbling psychopaths and completely fucks with the magic in the area, with intricate things like golems either breaking down or going berserk, and only simple and more robust things like transportation still working with any degree of reliability With magitek equipment being so commonplace in life the area is double fucked leading to a complete collapse of society where they're used. So the PCs regularly travel between magitek utopias and fetid ruined hellholes with magitek golems and shit that've gone haywire. Around these dead zones are the refugees who rapidly devolve into raider gangs robbing people and scavenging the ruins for unbroken gear or the odd rare chunk of magicite to keep their homes powered.
Throw in some kind of isolationist nation who never really had access to magicite so was therefore ignored and is now moving into the shattered rectum of civilization with a conventional force armed with just mundane weapons and shit for added funsies.

You probably have your own vision mind, but that's how I'd run a world like that.
>>
>>55015320
Fighter
Cleric
Thief
Wizard
>>
Has anyone actually ran tomb of horrors, whether it be in 5e or not? Can you describe your experience with it? Its been called one of the greatest dungeons ever, do you think it lives up to that?
>>
I want to make a PDF for my setting to give to my players and also distribute for free in case anyone else wants to use ideas from it. Which program would be best for this and does anyone know what programs modern companies use to format their books with?
>>
>>55015505
I ran the first part of the mega dungeon in 4e, it was fun. I've never ran the meat grinder though.

I've read experiences that it was full on retard because you can beat it by just sending in herds of animals and also people who say it's the greatest ever. Just make up some characters for a one shot and run it.
>>
>>55015320
Paladin
Wizard
Rogue
Ranger
>>
>>55014558
I just played it it two weeks ago. We had a fair warning that there is a dragon therr because we talked with the Duergar. We still went in there even though we had no reason to.

Needless to say with level 4 on these conditions its pretty much an unwinnable fight. Miraculously we lost one PC, as he was a monk that came the closest to escaping with treasure from the dragons hoard.

He got melted by the dragons acid breath after climbing the ladder back up. Our fighter used the opportunity to dash away.

I for one had a really awesome moment. I played a thief who has a rivalry with our warlock because both of them want to loot everything. After I stole some shit from the dragons hoard the warlock went unconscious, and I pretty much wanted to sacrafice myself by trying to help him. I stabalized him and carried him as fast as I could (Thief Tabaxi are FAST) while the dragon was away chasing the monk.

I jumped into the stream to gain even more distance and was able to stealth myself and the warlock with good rolls in a corner of the cave. After I waited a few minutes I got a Nat 20 on perception to hear that the dragon is walking on his hoard, probably angry because I have some of the treasure. With another good stealth roll I was able to climb the wall (again Tabaxi) and ignore the ladder which could have made sound.

Really intense but fun, not only saving myself but also the warlock who had already given up hope of surviving. Sometimes overcomming a situation without winning directly can be satisfying.
>>
>classes that have only one compulsory or semi-compulsory feat tax (Paladins, rogues, monks)

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>55015634
>Miraculously we lost ONLY one PC

To add to this, noone in our party would have been angry if we wiped, because it was our own choice to walk into a dragons lair. We took the risk, and got punished, even though it could have been alot worse.
>>
Is Hexblade viable? Seems like you have to choose between STR or CHA for your build due to conflicting elements of the features.
>>
>>55015662
He's a minmaxer and should be ignored at all cost
>>
Can anyone give me an actual 5e monster that fits >>55014566 ?
>>
>>55015724
>open Monster Manual .pdf
>Ctrl+F "Fey"
>>
>>55015724
Nereid.
>>
>>55014994
>>55015203
>>55015362
Reminder that disarming doesn't really work without a concerted effort because you cannot enter a creatures area in order to actually take the weapon from them, and it's just an object interaction for them to pick it back up.
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>55015840
>you cannot enter a creatures area in order to actually take the weapon from them
>>
>>55015840
Nigga you dumb.
>>
>>55006004
Most of AL is focused around the Moonsea, right? I don't know if reading up on the Sword Coast will do you much good (besides the general stuff like the races and gods and stuff).

Just read the wiki's on Phlan, Mullmaster and Hillsfar and you'll be fine.
>>
>>55015840
Under that assumption, you also cannot melee attack an enemy because you are unable to enter the space to reach them. Enemies are not generally 5x5 foot cubes, and the square they take up is a disambiguation - they drop their weapon, you knock them back a step or two, you grab their item, you retain being in both of your respective squares.
>>
File: wat.jpg (20KB, 428x501px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
20KB, 428x501px
>>55015840
>you cannot enter a creatures area in order to actually take the weapon from them
>>
>>55015975
Nah, daggers are 5' long.
>>
>>55015840
>>55015975
>>55015988
Quick reminder that using the grid is a variant rule in the first place
>>
>>55015840
>disarm someone
>use your object interaction to kick the weapon away from them
>if they try and grab it you OA them
>>
>>55016031
That's the beauty of it.

But if they have any other weapons on them, its a free action for them to draw it. So make sure you're not disarming the rogue with a hundred daggers, because he can keep that shit up all day. So it works best on things like
>Nope fuck your focus
>>
>>55016031
Why kick when you can throw it at someone else?
>>
File: 29324-7231-32318.jpg (357KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
29324-7231-32318.jpg
357KB, 1920x1280px
>>55015505
I've ran it... three times in my life. Twice in 3.5, once in 5th edition.

The Tomb of Horrors is not fun. It's not enjoyable, it's not rewarding, and it doesn't even make for a good story to tell.

The Tomb of Horrors is not fun. It's one death trap after another, insane "gotcha!" traps and puzzles, and an unwinnable fight at the end. It was designed as a way for Gary Gygax to punish those players whose characters were overpowered min-maxed cheese sandwiches.

The Tomb of Horrors is not fun. Don't play it.
>>
>>55016079
Because you already used your action to disarm and throwing it is an attack
>>
>>55016079
Because throwing isn't an object interaction, it's an action. If you want to throw it, you have to spend your interaction to grab it, then spend an action to throw it. Which you probably spent on disarming them.

Theoretically possible if you have extra attack, though.
>>
>>55016093
>It was designed as a way for Gary Gygax to punish those players whose characters were overpowered min-maxed cheese sandwiches.
Come on, it was for Gencon murderfests where people made throwaway characters and were expected to die in ridiculous ways, which is reasonably the only way a large amount of people could play with Gygax in one day. It was what he was known for at cons, but not the standard way he ran D&D.
>>
>>55007693
Cold iron, you uncultured philistine.
>>
>>55016148
Eh, it was probably a little from column A, a little from column B.

Yes, Gygax ran these meat grinder dungeons at cons for hordes of neckbeards, but you can't deny there were plenty present who wanted to show off their special snowflake OCs.

Tomb of Horror isn't fun, regardless.
>>
File: bladesinger.png (2MB, 794x1290px) Image search: [Google]
bladesinger.png
2MB, 794x1290px
The Bladesinger is the best wizard archetype, right? Is there anything the school specializations give you that top bladesinging?
>>
>>55013318

/his/ here, your completely wrong. The two most common forms of shield use were forearm strapping and centre gripping. In addition centre gripped shields would often have a light strap that would go around the fore arm to help stop the shield being levered from someone's grasp.

This is pretty basic equipment knowledge so I'm not sure where you got yours.
>>
>>55016303
Divination's portents are pretty spectacular, and arcane ward puts in work too
>>
>>55007693

Cold Iron is classic Feybane
>>
>>55016303
Illusionist is retarded at higher levels, abjurer is nuts for anyone gishy and I dunno about divination. Seems strong but limited, being able to throw dice fucking anywhere could be nuts. Bladesong seems more like a defensive blaster than a strong melee move. I guess with an extra attack and the int mod it could work but you'll really miss abjurer's wards.
>>
>>55007847
Isn't cold iron just Iron which hasn't been worked using heat?
>>
>>55016303
It's not that great.
Yes, it will make you harder to hit and give you a bonus on concentration checks. This is neat.

You can also protect yourself with the song of defense, at the cost of precious spell slots.

Your melee capabilities will never be that impressive, so you'd probably rather stick to casting spells.

Meanwhile, you lose the benefits of an arcane tradition. Arcane traditions are usually pretty great.
>>
>>55016303
Evocation's stuff is kinda neat depending on level if you just want to blast things.
>>
>>55016466
Cold iron isn't a real thing but that's kind of a silly option since iron ore is shitty. It was probly just another term for iron (rather than steel) at some point but fuck it do whatever you want.
>>
>>55016305
You're right, but at the same time not putting forward the most common use for arm strapped shields, which was mostly for cavalry use to keep a hand on the reigns. There are other main examples like hoplons, but few are really applicable to D&D.

No matter what type of shield, the entire action to use one isn't defensible from a realism perspective. It's clearly just to avoid any gaming of the system.
>>
>>55015505

Ran as an experiment with a large group of new players using pre-generated characters.

They wiped on hallway 1 by systematically all crawling into the demon's mouth.
>>
>>55016482
Booming Blade scales pretty decently if you have the mobile feat to 1v1 people. At 5th you're already doing 1d8+1d8+dex+2d8 if you have some way to move without an opportunity attack, like monk or rogue can give. That's better than blastlock's 2d10+charisma eldritch blast.
>>
>>55016515

Completely agree with all points, I didn't mention the cavalry point simply because you rarely get to mount up for combat in D&D. I also agree the rule is necessary for preventing the "I drop it as a bonus action" "I equip it as a bonus action".
>>
>>55013484

It shouldn't require work arounds, WOTC could have done their homework and known that shields are strapped to the arm.
>>
File: nope.png (161KB, 405x242px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
161KB, 405x242px
>>55016126
>Action
>Disarm

Nope.jpg

Its a special attack which can replace one attack in a multiattack such as grapple, shove, disarm.
>>
Can I ask a homebrew question?

One of my favorite things about 4e, back when that was a thing, was how teleportation was easy to get for most magically-inclined classes. In particular I remember a feat that straight up gave you teleportation 10' as a basic movement mode.

I want to do something like this in 5e, and I think I want it to be a warlock invocation (nightcrawler bladelock seems cool to me because I'm immature). I'm thinking teleport 10' to a location you can see instead of normal movement, no requirement except for warlock level 7. Too powerful, too low level, what do you think? Skip the part where I'm retarded for even thinking of this, please.
>>
>>55016633
Does teleporting trigger OAs?
>>
>>55016633
>move 30'
>or
>or
>hear me out guys
>teleport one third of that
Seems pretty shitty honestly
>>
>>55015634
You swam to the island? Surprised you weren't eradicated
>>
>>55008786
Depends. My preferential build is pally 11 and sorc 9. After level 6 pally you start 6 sorc levels.
>>
>>55016663
Nope.

>>55016664
See above. Also see you can no longer be trapped by anything, ever, unless they think to blind you.
>>
>>55016664
Could teleport 10 feet straight up though. Into a tree or onto a ledge, then only a reach/ranged weapon or climb can close the distance

I guess theoretically you could also teleport yourself underground though that sounds like it would have consequences.
>>
>>55016466
Cold Iron is a poetic name for iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore

It literally just refers to iron that has been shaped and is no longer hot.
>>
>>55013484
>>55013432
>>55016582
WOTC could have included something about Shields in the Don/Doff section of the Armour table.

Either

>A Shield is strapped to your arm
>It takes 1minute to put on or remove

or

>A shield is tightly grasped in one of your hands but is not technically attached to your body, in this way you can be prone to disarming

Solves all problems.

Instead we get arguments about what historically shields would be like and players demanding they're just holding them and can drop them/pick them up at will.
>>
>>55016664

Teleporting doesn't triggef AoO and you can still move another 20 feet afterwards.
>>
>>55005957
Why do wizards have more spells prepared than sorcerers know?
Level + int mod (let's say 3) is far greater than the sorcerers 2-15 spells known throughout their career.

This is made even worse when you consider the wizards ability to swap out spells prepared (because they know even more spells, and may learn more if they find spell books). And the fact that the wizard spell list contains spells that sorcerers can't even get.

Sorcerers should be able to use a spell they don't know by expending their metamagic points, or they should just flat out get more spells known based on their charisma or something. Maybe one free spell per spell level that doesn't exceed your charisma mod.
>>
>>55016711
Because unlike wizards, sorcerers were criminally under-playtested during D&D Next, showing up during only the earliest playtest revision.
>>
>>55016690
It's not latched on, it might involve a bit of wiggle to drop but it's still droppable if it's strapped on. Definitely no more than drawing a weapon and that's already given for swifts.

Honestly their not separating types of shields is what causes problems, there's tons of shields that are strap-held but not in such a way that will even take a hand, but they're way tinier than the similar-statted shields that are way bigger.
>>
>>55016711

Because sorcs were a mistake and should have been dropped for 5e when innate casting was removed, but nostalgia boyes would have complained.
>>
>>55016727
It's really a shame. The sorcerers strength is supposed to be their versatility. But right now their only versatility is their metamagic. Meanwhile, the wizard will have access to a more versatile list of spells each day, and they can change this list from day-to-day.
>>
>>55016741
Why are they a mistake? I agree that the concept totally overlaps with warlock, and they should just have been one class.
>>
>>55016711
I honestly feel like sorcerers should have less spells than wizards - but more non-spell powers based on their bloodline to compensate.
>>
>>55016745
Most of the sorcerer's problems, I've found, is giving them a set of thematic bonus spells like storm sorcerer had.

These are the lists I use: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJtjLlDw-
>>
Speaking of donning/doffing shields, tell me how stupid and overpowered this idea would be:
In my game I have a Fighter that likes to grapple, but he also has the Shield Master feat and likes to shove fuckers. He's level 7. I want to give him a magic shield where he can say a command word and have the shield contract into a watch or a gauntlet or something. Saying the command word when the shield is in watch/gauntlet/whatever (I haven't decided yet) mode will make it expand into a shield.
Basically I want to give him the ability to Don/doff this shield using a bonus action rather than a full action. No other effects like AC boost or anything like that. That way he could switch between grappling and shield mastering during a fight if he wanted to, rather than deciding which one he's doing at the beginning of the fight and doing ONLY that.
>>
>>55016761

Innate casting was their thing in earlier editions, there is no innate casting anymore.

Meta magic should have stayed universal.
>>
>>55016780
If it requires attunement then it's fine as far as I can tell.
>>
>>55016765
Hmm, I have a list very similar to that, think I might compare notes.

In general I think it's a great idea to give the sorcs more spells based on their origin. I treat them like cleric domain spells (don't count against spells known), which I think is how they're used here?
>>
>>55016780

It's fine.
>>
>>55016763
At that point you're treading Warlock territory.
>>
Is there a way to get your int back after it got devoured by an intellect devour (not wish)?
>>
>>55016807
Yeah. As >>55016761 said, they do kinda overlap.
>>
Warlock should've staysd an int caster.
>>
>>55016780
It's basically a slightly nerfed Animated Shield.
>>
>>55016763
>>55016807
should have merged sorcs and warlocks, metamagic as a boon that gives sorc spell levels and various sorc sources as patrons. Invocations could be more versatile bonus feats instead of being that must-have-chain per boon and max eldritch blast.
i posted it again
>>
>>55016813
Greater Restoration
>>
If artificer is being made for eberon then it's all wrong since artificers aren't spellcasters.
>>
I've never played bard before but I have to support a group of players who barely know how to play

What's the best way to carry them/compensate?
>>
>>55016813
Ask your DM
>>
>>55016870
Oh, I forgot it did that. Thanks
>>
>>55016828
I houserule that players can pick either one as their casting stat.
>>
>>55016797
>>55016799
Awesome
>>55016837
Basically what I'm going for, animated shield is a little TOO strong for a level 7, but a bonus action shield might be just right
>>
>>55016884
You're years late for that train. The Eberron UA had artificers as a wizard archetype.
>>
>>55016934

Which is one of the many reasons why it was a failure
>>
My DM is new to dming and had mentioned that he started because of Matt mercer. I have no doubt that he won't kill any PC's for fear that it will ruin his narrative. How can I fuck with this because playing under the guise of invincibility is mind numbing.
>>
>>55016950
if you roll stats, dump con as hard as you can, especially if you play a wizard
>>
>>55016950

Try and ride all the monsters.

Thunderwave is the only spell you need
>>
>>55016950
Try and talk your way out of everything. Mercers baddies are bags of HP and like to monologue, so turning everything into a debate should be easy.

Alternatively, be Keyleth. Do increasing stupid, suicidal acts under the guise of playing your character, with a mary sue story that you insist is the most important and deserves the most time.
>>
>>55016728
Presumably if it's strapped on it requires two hands to undo, which is why it takes an action. Versus drawing a weapon is a single interaction.
>>
>>55017190
Don't forget to suck the DM's dick on a regular basis. That lets you get away with anything.
>>
>>55017295
Nah, the second strap is just a second point for rotation. They're guaranteed to be looser simply because the skinnier part of your hand has to fit through. Lots of shields don't even have that.

Could still probly hold something in your hand with your biggest shield grip like a spell focus but obviously not attack with a weapon or something. Also a heavy fuckin shield doing spell movements would get pretty tiring.
>>
>>55016950
How about you don't kind of a dick to the guy running the game for you
>>
File: woman eating cereal.jpg (172KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
woman eating cereal.jpg
172KB, 1024x1024px
>>55008961
I know shitty homebrew is the norm, but sometimes you see something that makes you want to play it.

Any other homebrew favorites, /5eg/?
>>
>>55017809

Keith baker's warforged race.

I trust the guy who literally wrote eberon.
>>
>>55017783

Nah, it'll teach him to stop trying to run the game like a book.

Mercer doesn't run campaigns, he runs improv groups.
>>
>>55017809
I usually only use my own, I rarely trust people to make stuff that suits my games. There are some that have tested out really well in my groups though, like Eberron race reworks and a custom action points system that makes it more dynamic/cinematic than just a d6 on some rolls.
>>
>>55017975
What's the difference?
>>
>>55008961
This is utterly fantastic.
>>
>>55018140

If you're running your game like mercer, stop it.

Stop it now.
>>
>>55018193
I don't know if I am, that's why I asked.
>>
>>55018193
Calm your autism.
Why?
>>
>>55018209

Because like >>55017190 said, the baddies are meatbags and everything is a roleplaying scenario.
>>
>>55018274
>everything is a roleplaying scenario.
Sounds cool. Wish we had more of it in our group.
>>
>>55018274
>everything is a roleplaying scenario.
Isn't Dungeons and Dragons a roleplaying game?
>>
>>55018324

It's an rpg, I come yo roll dice and make a character that can get lots of fucking loot, not act like a faggot infront of a group of people, this ain't a fucking drama class.
>>
>>55018341
>>
>>55018369

Maybe, but I find all the people who get into character like that to be cringey and no better than LARPers
>>
>>55018397
Just because you dislike something doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. If people enjoy playing the game in a narrative driven style there's no problem with that, just like if people want to limit RP to a minimum and play it like a wargame is fine too.

Naturally people will find a group that fits to their playstyle. No point in trying to ruin someone else's fun because you think it's cringey.
>>
>>55018397
Well yeah, they're viewed in society as such.

As a comparison, you're basically going to an anime convention and hoping you don't get associated with the weeaboos. At the end of the day, anyone will still see you as a dude who went to an anime convention.
>>
>>55014830
>Can't remember what the cat was, though.
If it wasn't a purple Rakshasa then I don't know.
>>
>>55018341
>>55018397
I really don't get it. Why do we bother with story, if drama and RPing isn't important part? Why don't you play videogames instead?

I mean no offense, but possibility to RP is THE one thing that makes TTRPG different from all other games and i wonder why there are people playing them, without playing roles.
>>
>>55018487
Not that anon, but i did post the mercer bashing post.

The issue isn't that RP happens. Good encounters should involve at least some level of character motivation on both sides. The issue is that Mercer leaves all tension to the RP, and has his fights long and non-threatening as an excuse to promote RP tension, making the actual combats boring.
>>
>>55018504
He could do with a reread of Tucker's Kobolds, now that I think about it.
>>
>>55018504
Oh, right, that makes sense.

>>55018542
Maybe DnD should stop pretending it is ROLE PLAYING game, if it isn't one.
Also, kys.
>>
>>55018487 #

If you're playing DnD then combat should take priority over rp.

If you want rp focused games go play some rules lite shit like fate.
>>
>>55018341
Maybe you can indulge your severe autistic tendencies with Pathfinder.
>>
File: nah.png (256KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
nah.png
256KB, 600x447px
>>55018603
>>
>>55018602

If you think roleplaying game means anything other than lots character customization then please off yourself with haste.
>>
>>55006257
Go back to /pfg/. You obviously dont belong here with you inflexible mind and anime girl posting.
>>
>>55018602
>>55018602
You can do a lot of roleplaying with 5e, more so than in previous editions and even other game systems, the system of 5e itself encourages it. Maybe you should actually try to play it rather than vomiting shit and shooting your mouth off with something you don't know about.
>>
>>55018707

Oh I have played it, and by far the best way is a westmarches/hexcrawl.
>>
>>55016685
(Probably in that link) it's equivalent to the modern hot lead and leas modern cold steel.
>>
I'm gonna run a Find Steed Bard with a dip in cleric.

What race should I go into, and what cleric domain?
>>
>>55018757
You should play a game with non-autists, but that'll exclude you.
That's only one way of playing it and if you think that's the best way you have no fucking idea what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>55018780

I'd join an acting class if I were playing dnd for any reason other than for the mechanics.
>>
>>55014686
just change your fucking character, jesus.

If you have a character trait that doesn't fit the party, then obviously it won't go well.

A criminal who never lies is going to go about as well as a drug dealer who won't sell to additcs.
>>
>>55018823
Why are you this autistic. What the actual fuck.
>>
>>55018823
Just don't bring your shit drama into any game.
>>
>>55016690
Shields are in the don/doff section. I'm not sure what you're asking for.

>>55016728
A lot of stuff about shields is clearly for ease of game balance. It applies to the dex/str balance, for example, by making it harder to switch from SnB to bow than it is to just pull out a javelin to chuck.
>>
What's something I can use as a symbol for a summer god that ISN'T a sun

Because I don't want him to basically be a carbon copy of Pelor, except I inadvertently made Pelor when looking at domains, alignment, etc
>>
>>55016884
>artificers aren't spellcasters.
They are not spellcasters in not name only, and thanks to infusion, one could still play like they aren't casting any spells.
>>
>>55018955
A flower, a lion's mane, a dot inside a circle.
>>
>>55017744
>Also a heavy fuckin shield doing spell movements would get pretty tiring.
You might be able to flip someone the bird or do the force push motion, but a force choke would be harder, and you wouldn't be defending yourself with the shield at the same time, for another problem. You really need to keep a shield in proper position to benefit from it.
>>
>>55018955
A brick. Make some convoluted bullshit story that while being summer/sun god he also happens to be a patron of masonry and is worshipped greatly by people of the trade. You can be sure they won't mistake him for Pelor now.
>>
>>55018955
A hill with a tree on it depicting a breeze.
>>
>>55019035
He uses the brick to smash faces in because he isn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>55016950
you can just tell him why it's a bad thing and showing him what's a good way of approaching DMing instead of being that guy

you can still save him
>>
>>55017783
I don't intend to be a dick in a malicious way. I just see this as an opportunity to play recklessly like I never have before

Really liking this option >>55016976
>>
"Recovered Memories
At 1st level, you learn to dissolve the bodies of the dead and learn from their lives. As an action while standing adjacent to a corpse, you can produce an iridescent acid that consumes the corpse over the course of one minute."
What the fuck is this?
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>55016303
>best wizard archetype
>not lore

brb, gonna use my +5 int for initiative and then make the rogue save against STR to avoid my Fireballs
>>
>>55019254
>>55019254
>>55019254
>>55019254

new thread lads
>>
>>55019035
Sun-dried, hardened mud bricks baked in the summer sun.
Thread posts: 402
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.