[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BGG/ Board Game General - Licensed Games Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 35

File: board game general.jpg (356KB, 690x690px) Image search: [Google]
board game general.jpg
356KB, 690x690px
/BGG/ Board Game General - Licensed Games Edition

Previous thread:
>>54892528

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

---------

The Thing, Breaking Bad, Terminator, Game of Thrones, ... the list of board games based on movies or TV shows is long. What are some of the great ones and which ones are the worst offenders?

What games in your collection are based on a movie or TV show? How do you like them?

Which franchise would you love to have a good board game of that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
>>
File: 67456765.jpg (136KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
67456765.jpg
136KB, 744x1039px
Btw the OP pic is from here: https://twitter.com/ruleandmake/status/898167626521772032

Also gave me the idea for the topic.

And no it's not the same game as this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evildead2/the-terminatortm-the-official-board-game/

shudder...
>>
>>54919967
I own this, haven't played it with kids though. It's pretty simple, they should be fine at that age. Recommend house ruling 1 points card per fish caught, gives some incentive to keep trying once you've been caught.
>>
>>54920807
I have to wonder why instead of making shit board games like these make some Legendary Encounters: Terminator games?
>>
>>54920924

I would play the hell out of this but how would they do the first movie? The only playable characters would be Sara and Kyle.
>>
Just did a trade for Terra Mystica, coming in the mail soon. Did I get tricked by reddit / bgg or is this actually a great game. It looks like a lot of fun but I've only played the app a little and it's hard to get the feel of a real game via its app.

Either way I can always resell it if I don't like it I guess.
>>
>>54921067
If you like euros where you develop an economy and expanding your area, you are going to like it. IMO it's the best of the genre.
>>
>>54920913
what do you mean exactly by that house rule?
To give only 1 point cards and get rid of others?
From watch it played it looked like after being caught u still can gather your fishes so there is a point afterwards.
>>
>>54921089
I definitely do. So I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it. I'm just hoping I can convince / trick several friends into playing it because it "looks like Catan but with more stuff"
>>
>>54921153
If you like Catan, you will find TM so much better in all the right ways.
>>
>>54921175

I don't like Catan personally for a few specific well dead-horse-beaten reasons, but Terra Mystica seems to fix any issues I have with it and just be in general better. My friends are pretty open to heavier games and they liked Scythe which has Catan esque elements (in their opinion). So here's hoping it's a hit.
>>
>>54920770
>What are some of the great ones?
Star Trek: Fleet Captains is still a personal favorite.
Spartacus has worn a little thin on me finally, but it's certainly one of the better ones.

>Worst?
Probably the three million monopoly licensed editions.

>Franchise that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
-Predator
-Terminator
-Monte Cristo or Three Musketeers could be fun.
-Hellboy
-Judge Dredd / 2000AD
-Quake / Unreal Tournament / Tribes / Some other Arena Shooter. Titanfall is closer than most popular stuff these days, I could go for that. Frag and Adrenaline are about the closest attempts anyone's made, it's clearly a difficult genre to translate well.
-Blade Runner?

>>54920924
>cooperative terminator game
No, fuck you.
>>
File: pic3330230.jpg (18KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
pic3330230.jpg
18KB, 215x300px
Always interesting reading about Agricola vs Caverna, seems consensus here is Agricola. But I'm curious what /bgg/ thinks about Le Havre? I've only played a couple of games so far (one solo, one 2p), but it seems to be a lot of fun. I know it's not strictly comparable to Agricola but it's got a lot of similarities. Agricola is my favorite game of all time but Le Havre has some potential. Thoughts on it?
>>
>>54921372
>cooperative terminator game
>No, fuck you.

I got some bad news for you regarding that newly announced Terminator game...

>A cooperative game that involves miniatures, dice drafting and card manipulation, T2029 will see players commanding officers in John Connor’s army in the war against the machines. Players will work together to hold back the Terminator forces and allow John Connor enough time to reach Skynet Central Command. To win the game, players will also need to hack into Skynet’s Defence Grid, reprogram a T-800 and send it back to 1995 to protect John Connor.
>>
File: DT.png (150KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
DT.png
150KB, 480x270px
>>54921422
GOD
DAMN
>>
File: 1500049743123.jpg (181KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1500049743123.jpg
181KB, 750x750px
I wanna try pushing this for a few more threads. If it doesn't get any more interest I'll stop.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

It's a map to try and see if there's anyone in your area to play games with.
>>
>>54917904
Despite popular belief, Kickstarter games don't generally make money until they've officially come out and start making money in the real market. There's still an obvious incentive to want to make a good game, especially if you want to stay in the business and have money for your next game. There's too many good games right now to say we're going to see a videogame ET crash. If people seriously get too many bad games like the Terminator game, they'll just do research into what is actually good or leave, leaving boardgames with a slight growth from what the fanbase already is.
>>
>>54921634
Added me!
>>
File: the hell is this bullshit.png (4KB, 403x70px) Image search: [Google]
the hell is this bullshit.png
4KB, 403x70px
>>54921634
>>
>>54921868
It's called 'Not reading.'
>>
>>54921885
Oh.
>>
Why is it that deckbuilders are more fun than games like magic, yomi, and android netrunner?
>>
>>54922036
Because you can't get mad about bad matchups?
>>
>>54922036
It depends the deckbuilder. Hero Realms (2-player) and Clank! are fun as all hell, Dominion is fair but not suprising anymore, Ascension/Cerebus Engine/Hero Realms (3-6 player) got unfun.
>>
>>54922036
>>54922100
To follow that up regarding Yomi and Netrunner, it also depends on your playgroup. My place has a small Netrunner group, but no Yomi group. Guess which I played more of.
>>
>>54922036

I like a good deck builder but I will forever despise Ascension and the luck-sack common row bullshit it popularized.
>>
>>54920770

I have plenty of licensed games.
>Legendary Encounters : Aliums & Predator
Great shit, if you like coops and deck builders this is very hard to pass up.
>Buffy the vampire slayer : the game (Milton Bradley)
Surprisingly good, if a little antiquated. In many aspects feels like the prototype for Flying Frog's Last night on earth.
>Transformers Armada : Battle for Cybertron
Fun lite card driven skirmish game. Uses the "Star Wars epic duels" system.
>RISK : Game of Thrones
No idea why I bought it. It's alright I guess, but it's pretty much just risk with a few added rules and special powers thrown in.
>Star Wars RISK
The Queen Gambit remake. Shit I heard the game was light but I had no idea it was THAT light. However, the game does not outstay its welcome and is a fun two player diversion. I like it !
>Ghostbusters : the board game
This game gets a bad rap in my opinion. It's light and very random but not entirely devoid of strategy : clever placement and usage of the characters special powers is usually how you win scenarios (I'll admit, good rolls are pretty much mandatory too)
continued...
>>
>>54920770
>>54922343
>TMNT : Shadows of the past
The mechanics for the baddies and the turtles are very different yet both excellent (dice sharing for the turtles and card management for the baddies) and it's a lot of fun but I think the game could use more stuff. I dont think it's a very good seller for IDW so I'm afraid that's going to be it for the game.
>Star Wars Imperial Assault
Bores me to death. Gonna get rid of it soon.
>Resident Evil the deck building game
Kind of an interesting topic this one. It started out... horrible. I mean, slow and overlong, And gradually, as new sets and expansions came out it evolved and is now pretty decent. I mostly keep it because resident evil is like instant nostalgia to me.
>Beowulf
Got it for super cheap, it's an abstract. Got NOTHING to do with beowulf.
>X-wing
Same deal as Imperial Assault
I'm also waiting for a few KS : Evil Dead, Terminator and The Walking Dead No Sanctuary

Yeahhh.... I'm a sucker.
>>
>>54921067
How's the TM app? I've wanted to get it but I see so many complaints that I am hesitant to get it
>>
>>54922462
Do you like TM and want to play it even when you can't get it to the table? Then sure. Is it worth 10 bucks... idk. That's perspective I guess. As for the app itself I find it plays well if a little slow at times
>>
>>54921146
Nah just a random points card from the deck as usual. RAW you're only trying to get your remaining fish to end the round sooner, but that only helps the players who haven't been caught.
>>
>>54922353
>I dont think it's a very good seller for IDW so I'm afraid that's going to be it for the game.
I would have bought it if a significant amount of content wasn't kickstarter exclusive.
>>
>>54922751
Ok I got confused but now it's clear. Seems like a valid point. I'm going to play it mostly with my nieces which won't understand the score system so much anyway. I hope the dexterity aspect will catch on them.
>>
>>54920770
>jump in before bump limit
>same font over image
>doesn't include the fucking MAP

good job OP keep it up
>>
File: file.jpg (95KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
95KB, 750x563px
>>54921067
bad timing
>>54921089
>best
not anymore
>>
>>54921634
Just added myself!
>>
>>54922688
I've never played TM but I want to because none of my friends would play. They get overwhelmed with Catan
>>
>>54922292
I get what the common-row is for in games like that, else the game gets stale (hi Dominion.) What it needs is to have strategies that are easy to access and reward players for following it. The Character cards from DC Deckbuilder that give you bonus power for buying certain cards showcase this concept but fail to execute it proper.
>>
>>54921634
yesterday the password was fubar

also you should put the password in the OP with the link not on the actual map itself
>>
>>54923260
So, you have already played it?
>>
>>54920770
>Which franchise would you love to have a good board game of that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
-Metroid
-F Zero
-Metal Gear Solid
-Megaman
-Transformers/Robotech/Zone of Enders/Zoids I just want fighting robots dammit
>>
With the buzz of TI4 my attention has definitely been piqued. Would anyone mind telling me what the difference between TI3 and TI4 is?

Are they just updating the art or is there more to it? What does 4 offer that 3 doesn't?
>>
File: pepe.jpg (120KB, 730x730px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
120KB, 730x730px
>>54923268
On the whole map two people will be within 20 minutes of each other and won't be you and me anon.
>>
>>54923533
I know the feeling pal ;_;
>>
>>54923518
They really aren't changing very much with the new edition. New art, a smattering of rules changes, and excluding some of the less popular variant options from TI3 + Both Expansions, but at heart it's pretty much the same game with a few lessons learned.

The simplified technology progression, deformalized trade agreements, changed up some of the strategy cards a little (rot in hell, Imperial I), disabled politics until someone takes Mecatol Rex, and futzed around with the racial abilities / flagships / techs to some unknown but nonzero degree.
>>
>>54923609
So for someone who hasn't touched TI at all but is interested in it, would 4 be a good purchase?
>>
Do any of you folks play deck building games like Legendary or DC Universe? I saw that Cryptozoic is throwing a few more brands out there. But what about stuff like star realms and that companies products. Has anyone tried them and liked them. They look more like a TCG than a DBG
>>
File: Time of Legends - Joan of Arc.jpg (360KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Time of Legends - Joan of Arc.jpg
360KB, 1920x1440px
I'm probably the only one here who even knows of this game, let alone being hyped for it... BUT I AM FUCKING HYPE!
>>
>>54923648
It certainly looks that way to me, if you can stomach the price. It's partially justified in that it has most of the components from the last edition's expansions other than additional colors of miniatures. . . But the game was never good above six players in the first place, if you ask me, so I don't consider it much of a loss.
>>
>>54923664
Star Realms is a nice and quick DBG. If you played with just the base game then I can see it getting stale after a while. It also has a free app you can download to try it out, that's what I did. If this helps you decide, I taught of friend of mine Star Realms and after two games she hopped on Amazon and bought a copy for herself.

I also have the attack on titan DBG and I really enjoy that one but I'm a fan of the show so I'm a little biased
>>
>>54923721
I appreciate your help
>>
I think it was last thread but one anon asked how long FFG was taking preorders for TI4. I emailed their customer service and they just wrote back:

>Thanks for reaching out! We are taking pre-orders while supplies last. You may be able to contact your local retailer to try to secure a pre-order as well. Thanks!

Hope that helps
>>
>>54923693
That's a big mini
>>
>>54923929
>mini
That word may not apply anymore
>>
>>54923929
The scale of the minis in the game is 15mm instead of the much more common 32mm, so larger minis automatically look even more imposing when next to those tiny humans. But still, the 21-inch wing span is almost ludicrous.
>>
>>54920770
I haven't played any of these but
>The Thing
great board game material but I strongly dislike social deduction soo
>Breaking Bad
bad board game material
>Terminator
bad board game material
>Game of Thrones
incredibly hard to make a good board game out of this but I get why they keep trying
maybe they'll actually succeed someday
>>54921372
>Star Trek
literally can only make fan service for this IP, fuck Star Trek
>Spartacus
now there's a social deduction game I would play (original movie as the IP of course)
>>54923398
>Metroid
Nah
>F-Zero
Yes
>MGS
Yes
>Megaman
I'm sorry anon, you...you mean you didn't know?
>/m/
Fuck off
>>
Threadly reminder that 7th continent is the best board game ever made
>>
>>54924608
Why?
>>
>>54924589
>Fuck Star Trek
Trek actually does better than most licensed properties in board games. There's absolutely plenty bad ones out there though.
>>
>>54924589
I know about Megaman, I just want one that isn't shit
>>
>>54920770
>Which franchise would you love to have a good board game of that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
- F Zero
- Harvest Moon
- Fate (Type Moon)
- Etrian Odyssey
>>
>>54923693
Nah, it was put up some threads ago and then instantly dismissed because the only thing going for it is "herfderf big model, model big, did we mention the bigness yet? BIG"
>>
>>54924711
So what exactly do you know about the gameplay besides nothing? You are no better than the "minis = good!" people with your ignorant "minis = bad!" mentality.

To others who are more openminded and are maybe a bit intrigued, watch this from 29:37 to find out more about the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrMP7LXb6JM
>>
>>54924794
And what does a big model like that actual add to the game that a smaller model can't?
>>
>>54924902
Gravitational Pull
>>
>>54924646
It has the best sense of exploration of any game I've ever played. Because the map isn't randomized garbage it feels as if you are exploring and actual environment that had thought put into its design. You might think that this would be an issue for replay value but the continent is so fucking huge that you're not going to go to everywhere there is to go on a single playthrough. It kind of feels like the same exploration you would get out of a metroidvania game. Its so fucking satisfying when you've explored a huge chunk of the map after a long play-session and at the end you get to look at this big beautiful map that's all laid out. The game also has the best "save" system I've ever seen in a game. Super quick to setup and put away. The gameplay mechanics are also tight as fuck. Pretty much all of the gameplay is handled through one deck of cards. The main deck of cards is your life total, how you obtain new skills, and also how you mainly pass stat checks before you get items and skills that help you with that. Whenever you do an action in the game there are two requirements. One is the minimum amount of cards you need to draw from the main deck and the other is the amount of successes you need to get. These successes are just star symbols drawn along the side of the skill cards. Some skill cards have full stars (1 success) and others might have half stars or no stars at all. Whats interesting is that you can draw as many cards as you want from the deck. so you can pretty much make sure that you're going to pass a check by drawing more cards but its going to come at the cost of your health. Not only that, but the cards you draw are also the skill aka "idea" cards that your character can use. So no matter the outcome of the stat check you are pretty much always going to get something out of it because you're allowed to keep one of the skill cards that you drew.

Its literally perfect.
>>
>>54924913
Is it going to suck the smaller minis into it until there's enough mass to turn into a black hole?
>>
>>54924902
Perhaps a feeling of epicness? Sure such games could use stylized meeples or cards or chits but sometimes just seeing something like that in a board game genuinely adds to the experience. Is it necessary? Of course not. But it being that big and detailed and imposing can really make a difference in how you feel when you play such games. You act like having such minis automatically means bad game. I don't agree with that.
>>
>>54924987
A game that doesn't need a fuckhuge mini to attract attention is typically a better game.
>>
>>54922036
>>54922125
How is Yomi a deckbuilder? Did anything got changed radically? Last I knew it was a preconstructed deck duel
>>
>>54925045
You make the assumption that it NEEDS to do that. How do you know? How do you know that the game isn't simply a good game and they decided to add that simply for flash and epicness? You know nothing about it besides seeing that dragon mini. If you make rock solid opinions about games with so little information then I'd be wasting my time in further conversing with you.
>>
>>54925085
You must have missed the original post where the Anon was pointing out that deck builders are more fun (to him/her) than preconstructed deck games like Yomi.
>>
>>54925045
Any mini game is no more than a miniature advertising ad in rulebook format. If you are lucky it's good, if you are unlucky it's WH40k.

That being said, asking "why does this game needs a fuckhuge dragon model" comes from the wrong basis. The house wanted to sell a fuckhuge dragon model, so they sculpted it and then made appropriate rules for their sales catalog, I mean game.
>>
>>54925130
Oh god yes, I am retarded
>>
>>54925136
That sounds like a recipe for a shit game.
>>
>>54924608
Thought mine would be here by now but still with the courier. Id say ill have it next week but wont get to play for a while

Glad I backed it anyways
>>
>>54925154
Wait, what? You can't just go around admitting that you made a mistake! This is 4Chan. That kind of rational behavior won't be tolerated! Not one bit! Mods! MMMMOOOODDDSSSS!!!!

I figured it was a simple mistake. No blood, no foul.
>>
File: Immagine.png (2MB, 1764x1075px) Image search: [Google]
Immagine.png
2MB, 1764x1075px
Posting stash and a question:

anyone know of any boardgame like Republic of Rome, where you have to cooperate to manage various board states and everyone gets fucked if the game meets some losing conditions, but everyone is also racing agaisnt players for teh victory?
>>
>>54925247
You perfectly described New Angeles.
>>
>>54925247
And also archipelago.
>>
File: 1498877799268.png (313KB, 440x485px) Image search: [Google]
1498877799268.png
313KB, 440x485px
post yfw you didn't fall for the time stories meme
>>
>>54923929
For you :^)
>>
>>54925284
Is it a bad game?
>>
>>54925348
Whenever I see this, I wonder how many people who post it actually remember the full quote.
>>
>>54925357
It is a box where you add expansions to.
>>
>>54925357
It's terrible, at least the story in the base box. You can't use your deductive skills at all because shit makes no sense, just poke around and do and redo stuff until you get it right.
>>54925258
>>54925274
I'll take a look at the both of them, thanks. Of course what I'd like is to find a copy of RoR...
>>
>>54925416
Is getting /bgg/ to banepost part of your plan?
>>
>>54925357
Its the worst board "game" I've ever played.
>>
Anyone here play Too Many Bones or Gloomhaven? Are they good?
>>
>>54924660
I assume you're a fan. Unfortunately all the stuff that's out for it is "remember this from the show?" Sure, there's systems and objectives with thematic tie-ins, but every Star Trek game I've played I'm just going through the motions without any payoff
>>
>>54925684
Star Fleet Battles, my man.
>>
>>54925684
Federation and Empire
>>
>>54920770
>The Thing, Breaking Bad, Terminator, Game of Thrones, ... the list of board games based on movies or TV shows is long. What are some of the great ones and which ones are the worst offenders?
Sons of Anarchy better be good because I bought it because of bgg

>What games in your collection are based on a movie or TV show? How do you like them?
Sons of Anarchy better be good because I bought it because of bgg

I hate even the idea, but
> Futurama
> Archer
> Princess Mononoke
>>
>>54926351
Oh I also have AT Card Wars, is a decent little game.
>>
>>54924924

Is it available for purchase yet? If not, when?
>>
>>54923693
I actually do like good production values but more detailed minis do pretty much nothing for me. I'd rather have a game like Xia where you have a few pretty derpy models and put more money into the boards and other components like money, cards, cubes, tokens, ect.

Minis are nice for bringing a creature to life, but I don't find the people actually playing the game care how far they go past a certain point.
>>
>>54925558
Of course!
>>
>>54921377
Better than Agricola IMO, but the theme is less appealing. Kinda long too.
>>
>>54924711
Our dragon is big, big I tellya. It is the best dragon we -and you know I mean this- the best there's ever been, and you know I've seen a lot of dragons. This dragon is big, so big - it is yuge, ok? You'd better get this game right now, because the dragon just got 30 ft taller.
>>
>>54926486
Well congratulations, the thread is now shit! What's the next step in your master plan?
>>
Help, a friend invited me over for dinner and whipped out Terraforming Mars, and I can't find the dice or machine guns.
>>
>>54927358

No gambling or gun violence allowed on Mars.
>>
>watch SU&SD video about Twilight Imperium
>most repeated phrase is that it "tells an epic story"
>>
>>54926351
> Princess Mononoke
Mah nigga
>>
>>54927651
It's an amazing property that will never be adapted because Miyazaki rightly has a bitter streak towards tie-in media, but dreaming I see a highly asymmetric area control game where the involved players can modify the areas and have different wincons. Like Lady Eboshi wants the Forest Spirit dead and Iron Town sufficiently under her control, Jigo wants the Forest Spirit dead and enough chaos on the board to get away with the head, Moro wants Iron Town leveled, Asano wants to conquer and hold Iron Town... This is slowly turning into not!Dune/Rex as I brainstorm.
>>
Is Xia anything like Mage Knight? Is the coop variant the expansion adds any good?
>>
>>54927358
I'm so sorry for you. You should remind your friend that this is 2 hours of your life neither of you will get back.
>>
>>54929519
He knows. I've been steamrolling cash economy boosts and card discounts the whole time and have more cards down than any two other people at the table.
>>
>>54929610
Congratulations, you drew better cards than him.
>>
>>54923260
What is this?
>>
>>54929778
Yeah, that's pretty clearly been the controlling factor. I almost got caught in the end scoring though.
>>
>>54927358
You need to think of bgg first buddy. We'll want a detailed center about what a shitfest it was.
>>
>>54930023
Poor STEEV.

STEEV: /bgg/ for 'Abuse Magnet' :)
>>
>>54928760
While I can't answer to the expansion - I'm going to have to say it has very little if anything in common with Mage Knight.
>>
>>54928264
Fuck I want this so badly
>>
>>54927578
>No gambling or gun violence allowed on Mars.

Unn... What?
>>
>>54930023
Honestly, for a euro, it wasn't too soul-crushingly horrid. Other than card draw clearly being a significant swing factor. Maybe playing with a draft would smooth that out? Player interaction is still kinda low though, and drafting might help with that a little.
Still, not going on my buy list.
>>
>>54930388
I wouldn't buy it either. My one play with it ended in a close game, but all I did was just buying cards, not caring about the board at all. In fact, all my cards that got me to actually place stuff on the board, interacting with other players got me point penalties.
>>
>>54927358
What's that game like?
>>
>Make your decisions first, then roll dice to see if you succeed

or

>roll dice first, then make decisions based on what you rolled

Which is better?
>>
>>54930684
Remove dive.
>>
Drafting is the only way to play Terraforming Mars. I never go without unless teaching a new player. It's an entirely different game.
>>
>>54930659
Primarily solitaire resource and card management and engine building, not real heavy but satisfying enough, with some minor take-that elements and some ability to block and interfere with other players on a central board.
>>
>>54930684
Second one.
>>
File: advershery.jpg (16KB, 590x421px) Image search: [Google]
advershery.jpg
16KB, 590x421px
>>54930693
>>
>>54930684
Second if you can alter via your engine. The first is D&D

Have you considered coming up with a game instead of random mechanics?
>>
>>54930684
Second. First is an abomination.
>>
>>54930684
How about everybody rolls their dice, you take out one predetermined thing from your own dice (all the ____ dice) and the rest go in a pool which are then drafted in turn order?
>>
>>54930684
>roll dice first, then make decisions based on what you rolled

So...yatzee?
>>
>>54930684
1-1-1-2-2-2 is better than 0-1-1-2-2-3

LMAO
>>
>>54930925
Have you considered taking meds for your autism?
>>
>>54930987
No. Roll for the Galaxy for example uses that mechanic. Catan on the other hand uses roll after forming a plan and it sucks because of it.
>>
>>54931018
Have you considered that maybe you shouldn't be a game designer?
>>
>>54931300
>hey guys which dice rolling mechanic do you prefer out of these two options?
>ugh what the fuck??? Have you considered coming up with a game and not just random game mechanics??? You think you're some kind of board game designer or something cus uhh you probably shouldn't be, sweetie...
>>
File: oogabooga.png (196KB, 640x715px) Image search: [Google]
oogabooga.png
196KB, 640x715px
>>54927642
>watch known shills
>they repeat buzzwords/phrases they were paid to repeat
>think this is worth posting on an anonymous romanian anal bleaching enthusiast forum
>>
Just bought Pandemic: On the Brink 2nd Edition

How much does the expansion add to the base game?
Is it worth it?
>>
File: pic3622382_lg[1].jpg (1MB, 1024x958px) Image search: [Google]
pic3622382_lg[1].jpg
1MB, 1024x958px
>>54928760
I'm not too familiar with Mage Knight. It is idea wise kinda similar. You're revealing tiles exploring a map and gradually upgrading as you go trying to find a way to victory. The difference, outside of being mechanically completely different in how you achieve any of this, is that Mage Knight seems mostly combat focused with a scenario system that gives you a clear goal. Xia tries much more to stress the sandbox nature, giving you a large variety of things to do as you go and just saying whoever reaches the fame cap first is victorious.

Expansion has a solo mode and some 2 player stuff but no coop. If you play 2 player coop in solo, you will crush it. The expansion mostly serves as a heavy rebalance with lots of ways to mitigate luck, adds new shit to find, and adds events to spice things up each game.
>>
File: IMG_1080.jpg (24KB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1080.jpg
24KB, 300x208px
>>54926486
>>
>>54923664
The Cryptozoic DBGs are called "Cerebus Engine games," because that is the system which they are all built on. Except for a few gameplay and balance tweaksc, they are all one and the same, and it gets old fast. The licensing is neat and does opens up some fun fan ideas (Lord of the Rings + Street Fighter. Think about it. Samwise Gamgee beating Shelob with a Thousand-Palm-Slap is the greatest mental image you will have all year.),but beyond that it's "second verse, same as the first."

Star Realms, or any of the Realms DBGs for that matter, stands out a bit more. Buying cards and the "commmon row" is akin to the Cerebus Engine, but the game plays more like a fight than a race, since your goal is to reduce your opponent's life points to 0, and that makes quite a difference.
>>
>>54930388
>Maybe playing with a draft would smooth that out?
Fuck draft. If a game has draft and isn't based around it it's shit.
>>
>>54930684
Why not both or either depending on what exactly you're trying to do?
>>
Anyone have a suggestion for a skirmish miniatures game that can actually use larger monsters and doesn't require a specific line of miniatures? I already know about Song of Blades and heroes and am not entirely interested in it.

Are there any other games like what I suggested even out there?
>>
>>54932387
battlelore?
>>
>>54931781
Is this game good? I'm not huge on dice but I don't mind them if the luck required can be mitigated. Is there any luck mitigation in Xia? I heard the expansion adds this.
>>
>>54931117
The first thing you do in catan is roll the dice. THEN you get to do stuff. Have you ever even played it?
>>
>>54931681
Yes. 2 out of 3 of the modules are good and the little dishes are a nice touch. Where'd you get it from? Not that I need one, but it is OOP. I actually had to hunt down the only copy in the Chicago land area from a barnes and noble.
>>
>>54932548
If you really want to remove luck out of the game completely, Xia is not the game for you. The game is very much about pushing your luck. You'll have a trade path you want to complete between 2 planets. There is a 100% safe path but you need to go around a lot of shit which will require a lot of movement and rolling high on the engine rolls. You can shorten the path to barely anything but that requires going through asteroids, debris, and risking getting a bounty and taking damage by illegally bypassing the planetary shields, all will be dice rolls. The game in a lot of ways is very much about patience vs taking risks, like how you can stop to scan sectors around you or you can keep your movement you have and blind jump into the next sector hoping it's not a sun.

The expansions luck mitigation mostly address the things players were most annoyed at being luck dependent. Rolling for movement for example, you can now buy a mod that takes up a spot on your ship and costs 1k but adds 2 to all rolls for movement per chip, not going over the max roll. They added another chip that makes 1 shield spot always roll max rolls when you use it for environmental stuff but only once a turn per chip of that you own.

I really like the game, but luck never bothered me so long as I'm still making meaningful decisions and I always feel like I have decisions to make.
>>
>>54932778
Amazon
>>
File: microexpressions-disgust.jpg (28KB, 524x336px) Image search: [Google]
microexpressions-disgust.jpg
28KB, 524x336px
>at dragon ball super tcg tournament
>group there plays board game almost entire tourney
>it's cyanide and happiness
The DBS TCG is actually pretty good, it addresses a lot of problems I have with other TCG's.
>>
I want to get catan but I also want to get the expansions. Are there 2 that I can buy that can combine together for a better game experience?
>>
>>54932881
Is that the one based off the random comic generator? I suppose I like what it produces more than CAH, but yeah, you'd be surprised how long people will play that shit. I suppose part of it is that people can keep dropping and joining at any time, but people spend way longer doing that than they would doing the majority of other boardgames.
>>
>>54933098
The same five or six people played for all four hours I was there. I can see using it as some light filler but as a main course? It's like twelve courses of ice cream. Shouldn't be done, and those who do are sick in the mind.
>>
>>54926351
>Sons of Anarchy better be good because I bought it because of bgg

I like it, for whatever that's worth
>>
>>54925684
Star Trek: Frontiers is basically a slightly-streamlined Mage Knight, so at least that game doesn't rely on fanservice.
Though it is entertaining to see Picard burning planets down for VP.
>>
>>54932387
>Anyone have a suggestion for a skirmish miniatures game that can actually use larger monsters and doesn't require a specific line of miniatures?
Reaper Miniatures' system looked interesting, check that out.
>>
>>54926952
And the eurogamers are going to pay for it.
>>
>>54932847
awesome, sounds good for a fun time. definitely on my wish-list.
>>
>>54925247
Outlive kinda fits.
Game gives you some negative events that affect everybody which you may or may not want to negate. Everybody competes to have the best bunker at the end and there is a interaction between players.
>>
does anyone played darkness comes rattling? (wyrd games)
>>
Got new stuff.
Based on your comments /bgg (well, also the dice tower reviews).

I hope I did good.
>>
>>54934680
>been recommending Raptor for the last couple of weeks

I'd like to think that I had something to do with this purchase decision of yours. If you're gonna like it even half as much as I do you're gonna have a blast. By far my favorite 2-player game in my collection.
Can't comment on the rest because I haven't played any of them.
>>
>>54934790
Actually It's the only game, in my history of lurking, I can't recall anybody complaining about. Literally no bad comment.

And yeah, it's possible that you were one of the anons that made me buy it.
>>
>>54934835
>Actually It's the only game, in my history of lurking, I can't recall anybody complaining about. Literally no bad comment.
YdDMrncAy4U
>>
>>54932387
Frostgrave?
>>
Do you guys usually wait a few years for game reviews to die on hype and have people play them enough to find the balance flaws or if a game looks good are you the adventurous type to buy it immediately?

Related: is Scythe good, or overhyped because of good components?
>>
>tfw bought twilight imperium because hyper autist who loves super in depth games/4x's and multiple sources I trust say it's the granddaddy of those types of tabletops and worth an own if you're into them
>nobody I know wants to play it because I tell them it's like a day long to play it and I'm not the kind of person to lie about that information since it usually just makes people miserable once they get bored
>130 dollar (maple leaf fake currency) paperweight on my shelf
>sometimes set it up because it looks really cool and just leave it on my table for a bit
>still don't know how to fully play it because the rulebook is badly worded and you need to play a game to fully understand it
any similar experiences /bgg/ with games never getting plays?
>>
>>54935010
>of good components?
beautiful artwork and setting
shitty wooden components
please, the latter just spoils the former.
>Do you guys usually wait a few years for game reviews to die on hype and have people play them enough to find the balance flaws or if a game looks good are you the adventurous type to buy it immediately?
This is a hobby where plenty of autists are present and they will analyze each game to death. As soon as they get their hands on a game, I think quite fair reviews are written each time to give a real picture about a certain game.
>>
>>54935010

I think Scythe is fantastic.
I hate Eclipse and also love Puerto Rico, Chaos in the Old World tho.

So if you like worker placement games it might be just in your alley.
>>
>>54935168
I have, a lot. I started with a group thinking Dominion got complicated with expansions, so I have given up on ever getting heavy games played.

I still buy them though, if only to get a game collection that I can like and be somewhat proud of.
>>
>>54935010
Overhyped. At heart it's a mediocre game. Like, it's not terrible but it is excessively long and kinda unsatisfying at the end. Sadly it's become a meme thanks to the Kickstarter Effect and Hype Backlash creating a huge gulf between "Scythe is the best thing since sliced bread" and "Scythe is complete garbage" camps, so it probably won't be quietly forgotten like it deserves.
>>
>>54932750
They're referring to the part of catan where you place down settlements and roads before the game even starts.

When you place these down, you are planning on collecting those resources early on and using them to build more things quicker.

Then the game starts and you roll dice and hope the resources you picked earlier get rolled or else all you can do is sit there and watch everyone else play
>>
>>54935235
>Excessively long
What the hell how long are your games?
Scythe is the only eurogame that you can take two games in night because it doesnt last even 3 hours.
>>
>>54935168
Pretty much half my collection is like that
>>
>>54935389
>only eurogame that doesnt last even 3 hours.
what the fuck games have you been playing?!
>>
>>54935389
What have you been smoking? Not even Terra Mystica takes that long.
>>
>>54935168
>it's like a day long to play
When you don't have to contantly reference the book and master the ability to plan for contingencies in advance so you don't get paralyzed every time the board state changes, it's 60 minutes per player, maybe less. (assuming you don't use the long victory track)

Still long, but pretty far from the "plan for a long weekend" that some believe about it.
>>
File: HIS.jpg (128KB, 600x795px) Image search: [Google]
HIS.jpg
128KB, 600x795px
>>54935168
>any similar experiences /bgg/ with games never getting plays?
Pic related. At one point our group was consistently 6+ players 1-2 times a week so we all went searching for various games that were highly rated with 6 or more players on BGG and I ended up ordering this. Tried it once and only I and one other out of six had read the rules (to be fair it is 40+ pages of pretty dense rules...). It didn't go well, and people got a bit scared off by it. Still lobbying for it, esp. since this year is the 500th anniverseray of the reformation.
>>
>>54932323
If you say so. In the case of TM though it's straight out of the rulebook.
>>
>>54935168
>any similar experiences /bgg/ with games never getting plays?
majority of my collection, since I am too lazy to organise game nights and we always play with my friends'collection (who has great games, but a bit different ones than me).
Struggling to play a normal game of REX as well.
Last time I played it with my socially autist friend who decided to not to help me and do nothing at all, so the other team won on turn 2.
>>
>>54935168

Orléans

That shit just devours the table upon setup.
>>
>>54935168
All of my longer games. Primarily Millennium Blades and Forbidden Stars. Surprisingly I get tons of plays out of Eldritch Horror though due to my game group.

Probably for this reason I won't get TI4 or Argent the Consortium despite desperately wanting to play both.
>>
>>54935010

I want to say overhyped but I'm actually a sucker for the plastic mechs and leaders. You definitely get your money's worth out of the box. I also enjoy playing it. It perfectly perfectly balances the line between turn speed and length of play. My friends and I once finished a game in a little over an hour.
>>
>>54924924
I would probably really like this game but my first impulse is to ask "when's the app coming out?" It's not that I don't have the patience or the time for a solo tabletop game, I just feel like a digital version would be better. If it does anything compelling with its storytelling, that's how I'd like to experience it.
>>
>>54935168
Pax Pamir
It's probably not as hard to teach as Pax Porfiriana but I don't have the energy or enthusiasm that I did with Porfiriana
>>
Ok /tg sell me on TI4 edition - I really want to buy it because its history and I like adding classical games to my collection (ok Ameritrash king game is also a classic in this case).

What does it do that Eclipse doesn't?
>>
File: starship samurai.jpg (482KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
starship samurai.jpg
482KB, 2048x1536px
Plaid Hat Games shared a picture of Isaac Vega's new miniatures game. Thoughts?

Looks like gundam samurai.
>>
>>54936756
Eclipse is an economy-heavy eurogame with a space veneer. TI is an epic space opera.
>>
>>54932858
Ah, so you paid double for it? Suckerrrrrr
>>
>>54932898
Yeah, cities and knights
>>
>>54936756
>Space cats
>Actual politics and trade
>Tech tree that isn't drawn from a hat and stolen by the guy with initiative that round
>Ground combat
>Death Stars
>No plasma missile spam
>More interesting objectives
>More interesting racial abilities
>Map isn't going to RNG fuck you in the ass
>Space cats
>Twilight Imperium space plants are way more badass than eclipse space plants.
>>
>>54936766
what is the game in the background? with the skeleton guy
>>
>>54936260
It sounds like you have good taste anon. I'd game with you
>>
>>54936859
Crystal Clans
>>
So,

Xia or Merchants and Marauders?
>>
>>54936766
>Fat mexican gay weeaboo shits out another unimaginative hastily written broken system

No, thanks.
>>
anybody watching the ffg presentation?
>>
>>54936954
link?
>>
>>54936885
Thanks my man. But you'd have to drive to Beer city USA which should be a positive.
>>
>>54936984
team covenant are streaming it on their facebook. not sure if literally anyone else is
>>
>>54936766
I'm completely in on theme. I'll need to see the rule book before I buy it though. I need mecha games. Where is my Space Alert style super robo game with different robots for different numbers of players?
>>
I unironically enjoy Dark Souls amd am looking forward to the expansions. You could set up some intricate tile laouts with enough variations on aesthetics.
>>
>>54937997
Okay?
>>
>>54936911
What are you looking for? Merchants and Marauders is probably the more solid of the two when it comes to pickup and delivery style games. Xia is good, but can be a bit long. The expansion is supposed to fix some of the problems players noted in the vanilla base game, but I haven't seen / tried it myself.
>>
>>54936992
I live in the south unfortunately :/
>>
This Twilight Imperium 4E announcement basically killed any chance I had of picking up Shards of the Throne for a decent price. Cocksuckers.
>>
>>54939087
So just get 4E, it has most of the SotT content.
>>
>>54939212
I heard it's missing a lot of the optional rules.
>>
>>54939212
It literally has nothing from SotT but three races and the Gravity Rift system.
>>
>>54939087
Wait a bit, odds are there will be a fair few TI3 items on the market / ebay after TI4 hits the market.
>>
>>54939212
>>54939281
Oh, and flagships, to be fair I forgot about those.
>>
>>54939314
And racial techs
>>
>>54925784
>>54925867
You must both be out of your fucking minds if you think combat damage spreadsheets and simulative space warfare is fun
>>54933235
that's fine I guess but I'd get the original every time due to better component quality, better expansion support, and to support a better publisher
>>
>>54940172
They're both published by WizKidz
>>
>>54938554
The expansion does not address the length. It doesn't particularly add to it, but the games will still run 2-4 hours depending on what you set the fame point goal to. That being said, they seem to both have around the same playtime.
Things the expansion fixes are:
-Luck mitigating mod chips you can buy to make several strategies more reliable.
-Economy board makes resources finite so lucky tile alignment doesn't make trading an absurdly fast way to win.
-New exploration tokens to replace the old explore token rules. Now instead of a 1/3 chance of being great and a 1/3 chance of being literally nothing, you get a minor boost for picking one up and when you pick 2 up, you trade them in for guaranteed money or fame, your choice.
-Buffs third tier ships to be more worth it.

I like Xia a lot more after the expansion but that is a major thing to consider. The base game was fun but a big diamond in the rough. Everything I mentioned was fixed was a genuine annoyance with the base game. Which I like more between the 2 is up in the air comparing base games. M&M is a more solidly designed game but Xia does the jack of all trades freedom thing better. M&M is a good deal cheaper though. Haven't played M&M's expansion, but after Xia's expansion I know which I like more pretty clearly, but that is a considerable investment and 2 rulebooks to read.
>>
I couldn't comment on the best ones, and there's no shortage of bad, so I'll just say that I own Ghostbusters, Ivor the Engine, the new Star Wars versions of Risk and Monopoly, Star Trek: Fleet Captains and the Thunderbirds co-op.

>Franchise that doesn't already have one or only has a shitty one?
Let's see what your old Uncle Minifig has rattling round his noggin... Wait, noggin?

Noggin!

>Noggin the Nog
>Basically it'd be like Key to the Kingdom, only not shitty nostalgiabait and instead of saving the kingdom you're making sure Nogbad doesn't ruin Knut's birthday party... AGAIN.

>Lucky Luke: The Daltons Are Loose!
>A co-op game where you play as The Dalton Brothers from Lucky Luke. The big twist is that you KNOW you will always lose and get caught by Lucky Luke (you're playing as The Daltons, after all), but you try and pull off your nefarious schemes anyway, because you're the Daltons, consarn it. Quick, and you win by scoring how much mischief you got up to before you got caught

>Die-Hard
>An asymmetrical dungeon crawler where one player is John, the other is Hans and his cronies.
>>54924589
GoT: Hand of the King is pretty good, imo
>>
>>54920770
>What are some of the great ones and which ones are the worst offenders?
TV and Movies, huh? I can't give you any good ones outside of the generic answer "Battlestar Galactica", and I haven't played a bad one, only heard about them. Generally I don't think good things when I see a licensed game on a shelf.

It's absolutely silly and dumb, but I could see a great game being made out of Scooby Doo. A great number of style of games could work for this and we've joked about rethemeing some games like Fury of Dracula and Mansions of Madness as it. I watched the original as a kid and the only enjoyable one since then has been Mystery Incorporated, so I can't say I really love the IP, but it is just full of possibilities for games.
>>
>>54941530
Thanks for the great write-up I hope it helps the other Anon make an informed choice. I've got the Xia base game, but missed the KS on the Embers expansion much to my regret. Hoping it will be available soon for the general public.
>>
>>54935003
Doesn't let you have monsters and it's fun but essentially just a wizard and his student with some random normies looking for books. Want something on the mordheim kind of scale but with the ability to take a dragon or something.

>>54932503
Looks neat, but seems like you need special dice and stuff.
>>54933255
Might try adapting some things from this when I find a system that works really well with what I'd like.
>>
>FFG is reprinting TI with a 66% price hike
>Includes just a few bits from expansions
>Most of the content and components will be practically identical
>Soon they're going to announce they're releasing the expansions as well
>No doubt there will be a price hike on expansions that already have pieces stripped out for the base game
>People will still lap that shit up
>>
>>54943241
I have held back on getting into descent because I have no idea if they are just going to release a 3d edition soon.
>>
>>54943241
>a few bits from expansions
That's not how you spell "virtually everything remotely worthwhile from both expansions".
>>
>all this hype over TI4
What's up with that new Exodus expac?
>>
File: This kills the STEEV.png (8KB, 88x65px) Image search: [Google]
This kills the STEEV.png
8KB, 88x65px
>>54943437
>That's not how you spell "virtually everything remotely worthwhile from both expansions".
>>
>>54943241
I was interested in TI4 because I don't have a space empire game in my collection, until I heard that combat is "chuck them dice". Fuck. That. Noise.
>>
>>54943648
The only alternatives are 1-for-1 annihilation and "chuck them cards," and honestly they're all about equal to me.
>>
>>54943648
this.

Is there a way to housrule this so the combat resolution isn't like fucking Risk?
>>
>>54943679
Games where combat is more involved than simply chucking dice or cards, or removing units on a ratio basis, tend to be *about* the combat.
As in, good combat would slow this game down and actually make it worse, imo.
>>
>>54943646
Yeah, those are getting houseruled right the fuck back in. Most of the other missing stuff doesn't bother me though. I'd like to see Councillors back, but I have no illusions about them adding more clutter and time to the politics than they're worth.

>>54943648
Pretty much universal in the genre, I'm afraid.
But it's pretty easy to just use total hit range / 10 for hits generated each round if you really, really want something more deterministic.

>>54943679
See above.
>>
>>54943993
>But it's pretty easy to just use total hit range / 10 for hits generated each round if you really, really want something more deterministic.
Sorry I'm math retarded but how does this work?
>>
>>54944561
A ship that hits on 9 or 10 has a hit range of two numbers (2). A War Sun hitting on 3s (IIRC) would have a hit range of 8 numbers (and war suns get 3 shots so that's a range of 24). If you have a ship that hits on 10 and 10 only, that's 1.

If you had 3 9-10 ships, two 10 ships, and a War Sun your total hit range would be (3*2)+(3*8)+(2*1) = 6+24+2 = 32. So you would do 3 hits and, depending on your choice of rounding would either bank 2 for next round or roll a single die looking for a 9-10 (range of 2) to see if you get a 4th.

Sounds complicated but really what you'd do is convert the player aids to show range rather than die value so you could just add.
>>
>>54944561
So in TI, each ship rolls one or more d10 to see if it hits a ship in the opposing fleet each combat round.
Each ship class has a different combat score which determines how high it has to roll to land that hit. A fighter might have to roll a 9 or 0, a dreadnought might have to just roll a 5 or better.
These ranges are easy to convert into a score = the number of die faces that would be a hit for that ship. So a fighter has a score of 2 and a dreadnought has a score of 6.

The deterministic system I outlined has you total this score for all the ships in your fleet, and divide the result by ten. This comes out to the average number of hits that fleet would generate using dice. Carry any remainder score over to the next round, or roll a single die with a range of that remainder.

Example: Fleet has three fighters (3x2 points), a cruiser (3x1 points), and a dreadnought (1x6 points). This totals 15 points, so the enemy fleet recieves one hit on the first round, and you have remainder of 5. You either carry that over to the next round (where you would have 20 points and get two hits, assuming no recieved casualties) or roll a single die for this round that would hit on five faces (6 through 0).

Make sense?
>>
Speaking of TI3, I wish I could find somebody who'd trade my Shattered Empires for their Shards of the Throne.
>>
>>54944799
No one is dumb enough to do that. SotT is a collector's item.
>>
>>54945019
What makes it more collectible than SE?
>>
>>54944684
>>54944746
Hey, that's cool.
My group hates houseruling and likes the A&A battle system though so it;s too bad I'll never get to use that rule.
>>
>>54945055
My lack of research, that's what.
>>
>>54945087
Oh. I have the base game and SE but I'm missing SOTT. My local store has a copy of SE still. I should buy it for trade fodder, considering it's OOP and a must have for TI3.
>>
>>54945126
Buy that shit now dude, you can sell it for $100 *easy*
>>
File: utter_disgust_pirate.jpg (76KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
utter_disgust_pirate.jpg
76KB, 479x720px
>>54936911
>Not choosing to plunder and pillage your way across the Caribbean, risking everything for fortune and glory.
>>
>>54938554
>>54941530
I'm looking for a sandbox game. The divide I have between Merchants and Marauders and Xia is the amount of luck. I've seen people describe everything as a dice roll. I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of /everything/ being decided by dice. I know M&M has dice but isn't it more focused as it's determined by your Captain and ship?

I've also heard the npcs in m&m are more active and I like that idea of hunting down other ships like you would in Sid Meiers Pirates. On Xia's side, however, I like the ship customisation and the more varied things you can do. Biggest issue is while I can import Xia for a reasonable price (120 AUD), its expansion will be hard to get here in Aus. By comparison, I could get M&M and its expansion for $130.
>>
>>54945716
I don't own either, but Xia is fucking beautiful. Hand painted ships, very high quality components, nice metal coins.
>>
Every time someone mentions Xia I'm just deeply disappointed it's not a game about kung fu chinks beating the shit out of each other.
>>
>>54944684
>>54944746
That makes so much more sense, thanks guys
>>
File: file.jpg (41KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
41KB, 355x355px
>>54946034
>kung fu chinks beating the shit out of each other

then make it so there is facing, everything is based on facing, facing has special rules and exceptions but DON'T PUT ANY FUCKING FACING INDICATION ON THE MINIS

I would like a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon game or any kind of old kung fu shit. That would be awesome. I mean well done it would be awesome. Unlike pic related
>>
File: IMG_0651.jpg (1002KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0651.jpg
1002KB, 3264x2448px
Snagged it for $20
>>
>>54946415
Nice!
>>
>>54946119

>I would like a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon game or any kind of old kung fu shit. That would be awesome. I mean well done it would be awesome. Unlike pic related
Sure thing! I'll let you know when I have the PnP ready for my game.
>>
>>54946597
It was sitting in my LCS's bathroom for nearly a decade.
>>
>>54946665
Bathroom? That might explain the condition the box is in...
>>
>>54946864
It's really more a storeroom with a toilet and sink
And was more than a decade, owner got the game before release at gencon
>>
>>54946864
I'm assuming it's one of those back room bathrooms that came with the building but there's not enough room for stock so stuff goes in there on like pallets to keep it of the floor and people avoid using it because the bathroom door is stuck open from too much stock.

I might've worked at a store with a similar situation. If it makes you feel better, the stock room bathroom was kept clean.
>>
>>54936681
>It's not that I don't have the patience or the time for a solo tabletop game

But you don't have to play it solo?

>I just feel like a digital version would be better

I disagree. I feel like board games that are overly finicky would be better digitally. Games like Mage Knight or Kingdom Death would benefit greatly from being digital. But the 7th continent is so simplistic in its design that it wouldn't really make that much of a difference.
>>
>>54936260
What if you tried teaching your longer games a little bit at a time? Teach them one round of say Forbidden Stars and then pack the game up and play something else. Then next time take it a little further and keep doing that so they can digest things slowly. Anyone have experience doing this with any of their longer games?
>>
>>54948160
>finicky
Fuck, meant fiddly.
>>
>>54948635
No, because I don't play with brainlets.
>>
>>54948635
i would be furious if someone did this to me. the whole idea of "gateway games" is bullshit. I taught my mom and sister how to play a distant plain because they were intrigued by the idea of coin games and they had no problem picking it up. sure it was complicated to them and they had a ton of questions but a little patience and some free time is all it takes to teach anyone any game.
>>
>>54949272
>iamverysmart.jpg
>>
>>54949910
>you need an ivy league doctorate and invitation to Mensa to play board games harder than tic-tac-toe.
>>
>>54949937
So, tell us what a brainlet is and why you won't play anything harder than tic-tac-toe with one.
>>
>>54923664
Marvel Legendary is a ton of fun, but the core can get a bit stale. Start with Villains then go for secret wars 1, dark city, or noir. The DC dbg left a bad taste in my mouth after a few games, and I haven't touched it since.
>>
>>54949985
anyone who needs a board game spoon fed to them one rule at a time over the course of several nights like >>54948635 is talking about.

I wouldn't play with one because that's a colossal waste of time.
>>
File: double trouble.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
double trouble.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>54946415
So I can just jam together every component without a unique name, right?
>>
>>54950055
Fair enough, I avoid the type as well for the same reasons. I'm not a smug faggot about it, though, and will at least try to teach a game to a person who is genuinely interested.
>>
>>54950122
well if you don't want to be a smug faggot talking shit to anonymous strangers I don't really know why you're here, but whatever man, you do you.
>>
>>54950187
You're right, apologies.
>>
>>54921372
How I imagine a Terminator board game would work:

>Two boards, one for future one for past.
>Actions send resources to the past
>Actions in the past affect the future
>Terminators win if they conquer the past by killing John Connor
>Humans win if they conquer the future
>>
>>54950110
Pretty much, yeah. If you're a DIY kind of guy you can make foamcore trays to hold all individual players' units, counters and tech cards and organize the action, planet and political decks, it'll speed up setup and takedown.
>>
>>54950262
Tried that before, turns out I'm a measure twice, cut once, adjoin badly kinda guy.
>>
>>54923664
Star Realms is pretty nice.
Though I got to admit in the App, some campaign scenarios are almost insanely stacked against you to win you got to be both really lucky and skillful. (Especially if you want the achievements)

What is nice about the game is that its core game is very solid and mostly balanced. Some people complain about deck thinning being OP, but I like to think gambits and quick play cards compensate a bit. (Using them together can get you high level units early so you can overwhelm thinners with sheer force and card draw)

Honestly its very very hard to win by only using one type of unit.
>>
>>54950110
I've decided not to dump the Domain tokens together, I'm also using the expac ones and I don't wanna fuck up the ratios. Same reason I'm not dumping the extra command and flag tokens with the factions stuff.
Still, a crap ton of extra ships and generic tokens is worth the $20 imo, especially as I now have a spare of literally everything in the base set.
>>
>>54945716
I really want to say Xia as one of my favorite games, but you honestly might like M&M more. I've talked up a lot about luck mitigation this whole time, but that's very much an expansion element, and you will want to take risks to win, which is going to involve leaving your fate pretty hardcore on dice. a 50% chance to go away from an asteroid unharmed and the rest of that roll will be between 1 and 10 damage, which is a very large spread of how fucked you could walk out of that asteroid, and activating your shields for that damage without the mod is no guarantee to block most of it, that's a dice roll of it's own. You take 9 damage and you are limping back to a planet for repairs.

M&M has some dice but it also has a lot of much more solidly set in stone mechanics and calculable risks while doing a good chunk of the same stuff. Plus that price difference. It's a shame the expansion isn't easy to import yet.
>>
>>54950232
thats exactly the latest terminator game
>>
>>54950431
The only other way I could see it is in a race format.
>One long board
>one player is robots the other is humans
>Humans have to get to the end as fast as possible whilst robots have to slow their progress and stop them from reaching the endgame.
>>
>>54950528
that sounds fun but like it would be really abstracted
>>
I can give you a run down of a bunch of Star Wars games! Not much else in the way of licensed shit, but I can say Battlestar Galactica is great, though we all already know that.

>X-Wing

Fun enough, but I only really like it when neither player is a particularly great pilot. The clusterfuck of ships bumping each other is part of the fun for me. I came close to winning a store tournament in 2015 off a Lando/Wedge strategy best described as "Hi, I'm Lando, and I like warm hugs".

>Queen's Gambit

Great game, and as someone who actually likes the prequels I love how they managed to bring the battle of Naboo to life here. The one downside is that it's easy to think the Gungans actually have a chance in the field battle and try too hard to win it -- they don't, the whole point of them being out there is as a diversion to lure the droid army out of the city so the Queen can do her thing. You're better off playing the Gungan fight as pure "survive as long as possible" while focusing most of your efforts on the palace.

>new Star Wars Risk

Solid, not as strongly thematic as Queen's Gambit but it's easier for noobs to pick up.

>Epic Duels

This game is great, everybody knows it, it's like a tabletop Star Wars version of DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi

>Clone Wars Risk

It's better than just playing normal Risk, but only marginally.

>Empire Vs. Rebellion

Dorky little CIA vs KGB clone, worth MAYBE one play. Don't bother.

>Star Wars LCG

Love it, the deckbuilding system forces a degree of variance and clumsiness into every deck that makes it hard to have ridiculous blowouts and usually means both players have a fighting chance, though the theme can get a little weird here and there.

>Destiny

Trying too hard to be tabletop Star Wars Hearthstone, just not my thing. Epic Duels does a better job with the same "let's you and him fight" concept.

>Jedi Unleashed

Actual cancer
>>
>>54950604

Fuck, that tournament was 2014, my mistake
>>
>>54950405
This is a tough choice.

I've managed to find an Aus retailer selling the base for $120 and the Expac for $80 which isn't horrible for a kickstarter game. My main objection to dice stems from Twilight Imperium. I hate spending 7 hours building an amazing fleet only to have it reduced to rolling dice anti-climatically. I've read more about Xia since my last post and certain things like the Impulse engines + the ship powers have me convinced that there is likely sufficient mitigation to be enjoyable.

What do you think about the combat in Xia? I've heard it's not as good as M&M's.
>>
File: God bless TI3 part one.jpg (770KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
God bless TI3 part one.jpg
770KB, 3264x2448px
>>54950398
>>
File: God bless TI3 part two.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
God bless TI3 part two.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>54951083
>>
>>54951088
I think my best course of action right now is to wait for TI4 to come out and tell ANA customer rep that I got some shit wet and I need all the player boards and cards and hope they fall for it.
>>
>>54951083
Nice bag tag.
>>
>>54950552
I dont think its that abstract if you keep it somewhat simple and have clear goals in mind.

Say you have X amount of days to get to skynet and shut it down before its too late, and protect John Connor.

Robots actions waste time or do damage to the party. Humans actions protect John or themselves, or save time.

Robots win if they either kill John or stop you from getting to skynet in time. Like in the movie.
>>
>>54951222
The way it balances out for the hikans is that you dont necessarily HAVE to get john to the end. Just keep him safe like the Terminator does in the movie.
You can move faster without him, BUT hes very vulnerable without you.
>>
>>54951045
Combat feels like just another piece of the machine. It's nothing standoutish on it's own, just another system you can activate really. You choose to swing and with how much, the defense picks how much shields to use. It does get a little interesting once damage starts accumulating, the opponent has to pick where to put it on the grid and any damaged system gets worse. I've used combat before so they put damage on cargo forcing them to jettison cubes for me to steal, but that's more of an overall result of combat. The cost itself was as simple as just each side picking resources to spend on more attacks or more defense.
>>
>>54951625
So it's viable? Saw some posts about needing to use missiles and that blasters weren't very good by comparison
>>
>>54948635
>>54936260 here

It's less to do with complexity and more to do with time. What's worse is people show up late then complain about not enough time to game.
>>
>>54948635
>What if you tried teaching your longer games a little bit at a time?

That's sort of like telling someone you'll feed them a 4 course gourmet meal, and then giving them the appetizers and saying "Oh, I'm not going to feed you all 4 courses tonight. If you like the appetizers, then I might feed you the first and second course some other night." I'd be quit ticked off if someone did that with me without being up front about it. And even if they were, I might well say no. Eating the appetizer alone tells me little to nothing about the overall dining experience."

Sure, there are games where you can teach the base game rules, and add in advanced rules over time to increase complexity. But teaching 1 turn of Forbidden Stars and expecting the players to remember the rules 2 weeks or a month down the road seems very unlikely to succeed. A big part of learning for most people is repetition.
>>
File: pic3464549_md.jpg (89KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pic3464549_md.jpg
89KB, 500x375px
Secrets, the Bruno Faidutti/Eric Lang game that came out a few days ago, is really impressive. Played it about a dozen times already.

It takes Bruno's Mascarade mechanic of everyones' roles flipping around constantly mid-game, only he makes the roles much simpler - just Red Team vs Blue Team and a "Tanner/Jester/weird role guy".

Then he throws in the Cockroach Poker mechanic - "Here, have this card, or you can not trust me and not take it, up to you. But of course it's what you want. I'm doing you a favor here. Take it, c'mon."

The cards you do this with have abilities and point values. Your goal is simply to make your team collectively have the most points. Some cards are negative points, some are high valued. The most negative card in the game gives you the best power, of course. And these powers are what allow the players to gain information on everyone else's roles, swap roles, let everyone see their role, etc. So, you may take a card that's -1 point, and use its power to swap a guy with high points onto your team, thus getting a net point gain.

An especially interesting mechanic is that, after the first ten minutes, it becomes trivially easy to automatically end the game whenever you want, because the end condition is simply putting any one person at the maximum card limit. So if you think your team is currently coming out ahead on points, you can just give the next card you draw to a friendly player who already has 3 cards, and say, "here m8, this'll put you to 4 and end the game, I think we'll win"

And you could be totally wrong because your best team member could have actually been on a totally different team the whole time and you just lost track. Then everyone will laugh at you. But it's the fact that you can do this that counts.

I really adore this design.

Also, the components include poker chips the size of a child's hand. They're massive and heavy and loud and gorgeous, and they single-handedly raise my BGG rating for the game a whole 2-3 points.
>>
>>54953443
does the game come in two boxes?
>>
File: 20170819_112343.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_112343.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>54953634
Nah, that's an image of a couple empty folded prototype boxes from back before the game released. Notice the perforation on the edges, they're not actually even made of board game box material. I pulled it off google images, because I couldn't find any images of the actual release box.

I'll take a pic of my copy. Here you go. Seems to be identical.
>>
>>54954039
I see Lanterns in the background. How is it? Been looking for another game to play with my wife.
>>
>>54953443
Player count and how many did you play with during your dozen times and what's the best player count?
>>
File: bgg map.jpg (737KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
bgg map.jpg
737KB, 2448x1836px
Reminder to put the maps in the OP

>bgg fight, fuck, play map

don't be this guy
>>
>>54954295
>https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

While I hope it works out, I probably won't put my info in for example simply because I'm already in a couple of gaming groups.
>>
File: file.jpg (58KB, 552x732px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
58KB, 552x732px
>>54954457
you poor fucking bastard

>be me
>have two board game group options
>both meet the same time monday night
>first one takes about 300% of my free time weekly
>still put myself on the map

because maybe some bgg faggot will be able to join the group I do manage to go to and we can fuck
>>
>>54954295
>Scroll wheel doesn't work on map
A source of continual frustration
>>
>>54954457
>>54954295
how do i use this map
>>
>>54954654
At the top there's an option of 'addition' add a simple marker to your city or something.
>>
>>54954654
>open map
>upper right click Map Access
>enter password
>upper left tab menu
>additions > add marker - simple
>put in your full name address ssn and kik

congrats you've been doxxed
>>
>>54953443
I'm interested in this game. It looks very cool and sounds like a lot of fun. Why do you think it's only 6.8 on BGG?
>>
>>54952764
>people show up late then complain about not enough time to game
I'm normally a pretty relaxed person but nothing makes me want to inflict bodily harm more than this
>>
>>54920770
pls don't make new thread till it reaches bump limit
>>
>>54955056
>five people show up
>pull out 7 wonders
>start explaining and sorting decks
>another person show up
>start explaining all over and resorting decks
>two more people show up
>three break off to play something else
>two new people join 7 wonders
>start explaining again and resorting decks
>two more fucking people show up
>the three are already several turns into their game
>throw all the 7 wonders cards together and
>start explaining all over again

another time

>four people show up
>guy pulls out king of tokyo
>teaches us
>another person shows up
>reteaches game
>another person shows up
>reteaches game
>totally new guy shows up
>reteaches game and I get to sit out

sometimes I think being co-host of the meetup is the only thing that has kept me from being kicked out since I have to be on normie behavior even when this shit pisses me the fuck off

>>54955230
yeah uni-font over dull image guy has been popping off right around now, that's why I posted >>54954545 pre 300

I'm not sure he reads the threads tho
>>
>>54955254
I'd make those late fuckers sit and watch everyone else play a game and then teach them along the way
>>
File: muh nigger.png (448KB, 708x847px) Image search: [Google]
muh nigger.png
448KB, 708x847px
>>54955311
no exactly that is what sucks ass about being host

and if they were regulars I totally would but when they are completely new to the group I have to pretend to be nice
>>
>>54921377
Strictly better than Agricola IMHO, but the artworks and the general feeling is "meh" at best.
Also quite long and not casual-friendly.
>>
>>54955254
>>two more fucking people show up
>>the three are already several turns into their game
>>throw all the 7 wonders cards together and
>>start explaining all over again

I still would not have started over. I would have simply explained to the new folks what was happening with the original group. If they're adults, then they can grasp the concept of good manners and not expect everything to come grinding to a halt because they showed up late. Hell, when I teach 7 Wonders, I always tell new players that they won't really understand the game the first play through. Then it will click with them on game 2. I've been very successful at teaching it and having people want to play it again later.
>>
>>54955230
I just updated the pastebin with the link to Game Caddie since the old gaming selection site went down.

https://pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K
>>
>>54955254
Here's what you do: we start games at this time. If you come later, you are on your own.

It's that simple.
>>
File: 21531268731`2798.jpg (70KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
21531268731`2798.jpg
70KB, 700x393px
>Are you guys ABSOLUTELY sure that we, who have all played 15+ games of Battlestar Galactica, should be playing with this brand new player even though we apparently only have the time to explain the most cursory aspects of the rules to them?
>"Yeah it's fine if he has questions he can just ask, we have enough experience to answer whatever he needs answered"
>Okay, if you say, guys.
>Two and a half hours in
>UH, HEY GUYS?
>WHAT DOES THIS "SYMPATHIZER" CARD DO?

I have never been more angry at board games
>>
>>54951788
As with a lot of things, more viable in the expansion. Base game you're rolling attacks vs shields and it's equal dice on both side for the investment. The reason people say missiles is the missiles use 1 die up for the cost, but can only be activated once per turn. If you could fit a max missile onto your ship, it was a d20, so a fair chance it could beat the shield for damage.

Piercer mods give a -4 to shield rolls so players don't just feel safe with the shittiest shield. The shield mod is also specifically worded to not work against attacks, only environmental things. There's also another small change they made where assassination missions don't need the player to die at your hands to be turned in. There was an annoying time I didn't quite finish someone off and they just killed themselves to stop me from getting the reward. That change is so simple it can be just ruled in, you don't need the expansion for that.
>>
File: rage.jpg (76KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
76KB, 900x600px
>>54956044
Holy crap tho.

That was a little like my first shadows over camelot game. The traitor who perpetually misunderstands basic rules anyway got all bent out of shape because the "you may reveal you're the traitor" card came up in the second turn. So he freaks out we all delve into the rules to understand the card (may being the key word) and of course it's totally obvious now.

Also King Arthur was a frigging git and never passed a single card to anybody. God I hate playing games with people who can't get the fucking game right.
>>
>>54920770
New thread up at >>54956335

Pros: No anime, no porn, no 'Monopoly', no 'Your taste in games is shit' in the Thread image.

Cons: No Jaipur in thread image....
>>
>>54954100
Not him, but lanterns is... OK. It's a fairly fun light game but the strategy follows a fairly simple rule: Always be Dedicating. Seriously, don't worry about what your dedication is (too much) just attempt to make a dedication every turn if able.
>>
>>54956358
no fucking map
>>
File: Cannot into board gaming.jpg (238KB, 950x476px) Image search: [Google]
Cannot into board gaming.jpg
238KB, 950x476px
>>54956044
Pic very related...
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.