[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bgg/ Board Games General: 'Rules Friendly' edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 33

File: Board Games General 082.jpg (256KB, 768x624px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games General 082.jpg
256KB, 768x624px
The new and gloriously improved (one link replaced with another) Pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K

The 'rules friendly' /bgg/ edition

> What game(s) do you own that have the best written and/or easiest to teach rules?

> What game(s) do you own that have the worst written / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?

> Are there games you would not buy because the rules have a reputation for being awful?

> What game do you own / have played that has caused the greatest amount of disagreement about the rules?
>>
File: bgg map.jpg (737KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
bgg map.jpg
737KB, 2448x1836px
>>54956335
RRRRREEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54956411
But Anon, only total faggots like MAP (Minimum Acceptable Pricing). You work for ANA don't you...
>>
Got into a really big argument about what exactly constitutes a deal and what is just talking/haggling in Sherrif of Nottingham.

Turns out the huge argument could have all been avoided because I read the FAQ/Errata on boardgamegeeks, and it described the same exact problem/situation and how to solve it.

Its still a great game that we all like to play, but for some reason the first time we played it, the owner didn't even read the rules so as we played the game we skimmed it. Turns out lots of shit we did was wrong (like how penalties are paid and which goods go through if the Sheriff finds contraband), so I have to be that rules asshole and show them the real rule and instance, because we played it wrong for so many games.
>>
>>54956411
>Screeches without linking map

Good show, chap.

>>54956335

>What game(s) do you own that have the best written and/or easiest to teach rules?
Arcane Academy is a dream to teach. It doesn't look like a stupidly simple game but everyone seems to wrap their heads around it FAST.

> What game(s) do you own that have the worst written / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?
Vast: the Crystal Caverns. It's not really Vast's fault since it's sort of five games in one and the rulebook is through, but when the player aid is a double-sided 8.5x11 sheet...

> Are there games you would not buy because the rules have a reputation for being awful?
Oddly enough, no. Just means I haven't head of any yet.

> What game do you own / have played that has caused the greatest amount of disagreement about the rules?
/bgg/ related, so not Magic: the Gathering? TI3. It's just so damn complex and there's a lot of asymmetry. Plus its long and interactive so something will come up somewhere. The worst complexity:Confusion ratio is probably Miskatonic School for Girls, though. Everyone likes that game but for some reason the same group that can get through Dead of Winter, EDH Magic, and basically whatever new thing I throw them without issue can never remember how the purchasing works nor how having class functions. (Protip: It's REALLY FUCKING SIMPLE in both cases.)
>>
>>54956446
This is why I always try and find out in advance how many players are coming so I can prep the rules for a couple of games. It's easier playing stuff that we've already played, but I don't want to play the same things forever. It's damn difficult to get anyone else to read rules in advance.
>>
>>54956335
>no map
>no previous thread

jesus chist anon do you hate anime so much you can't even be bothered to take 2 seconds and do this shit right?
>>
>>54956549
>Arcane Academy

I might have to look into that one.

>Vast
Yeah, I own that one, but haven't had a chance to sit down and really dig into the rules.

I've heard from multiple people about the train-wreck of a rules system that was Myth. I gather that the '2nd Edition' fixed some of the more egregious issues, but still wasn't fantastic.

> but when the player aid is a double-sided 8.5x11 sheet...

My 'Dead of Winter' sheets are like that. :)

> Miskatonic School for Girls

Man, I haven't played that in a long time - a friend bought it when it first came out. And it was a fairly straight forward system. Nothing quite like sticking your friends with the truly awful teachers.
>>
>>54956335
>What game(s) do you own that have the best written and/or easiest to teach rules?
Not counting absurdly light games like teaching Onitama, I'm impressed everyone tends to understand Seasons right away. I've got teaching that nailed down. Despite having to make major decisions from the start with the opening draft, the simple player phases make a fairly mid weight game simple to jump into.

>What game(s) do you own that have the worst written / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?
Star Wars Rebellion. I hate when a game makes the "advanced" game so obviously the full game and tries to detail it as a mod to the tutorial rules. They put the tutorial game for 90% of the rulebook and then when they get to the advanced rules it's like 3 pages. One of which is setup rules that instead of being full setup rules just say "Now go back to the tutorial setup rules and instead of doing step 3, do this and don't do this at step 5 and fuck yourself at step 7". There's so many different steps and you just have to keep flipping back and forth. It's like they expect you to have setup memorized after 1 play
>Are there games you would not buy because the rules have a reputation for being awful?
Nothing I can think of. It's usually a problem I run face first into.

>What game do you own / have played that has caused the greatest amount of disagreement about the rules?
There are rules that in my poor reading ability I've botched before. I missed our first play of Mansions of Madness how moving works which made the game advance at a snails pace. In Terraforming Mars I didn't notice that you only gain a victory point from forests because it increases air which lead to wild tree growing for point farming. Those both are my own fault however.
My group tends to be too methodical for games with a "don't be too obvious" social rule. Codenames tends to cause an argument. The Grizzled I'm afraid would cause an argument too.
>>
File: why would you do that.png (448KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
why would you do that.png
448KB, 800x600px
>>54956335
> What game(s) do you own that have the best written rules?
I don't really remember reading any rules and going "this is amazing!"

> easiest to teach rules?
Roll for the Galaxy, Evolution, 7 Wonders. A lot of it is in the teacher though- so many awful teachers out there.

> What game(s) do you own that have the worst written rules?
Adventure Time Card Wars. Seriously 60% of the rules are buried in the examples, never expressed as rules and have to be inferred, occasionally from an illustration not the text. At least some things have to be guessed at because not a single word or example exists.

> / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?
Yashima

Nope. Never.

> What game do you own / greatest amount of disagreement about the rules?
51st State because we didn't play my copy and I trusted someone else to get it right. I argued in game that some things didn't make sense and afterwards reviewed some youtubes and found out it was completely wrong. The rulebook fwiw was not helpful-clarifying anything during game- like you couldn't just pick it up and flip to something and "ah open production does produce like normal production" during the game.

> / have played greatest disagreement?
Anything with my dad because he willfully misundersands, misinterprits or forgets rules as it suits him.

>No dad even though the development says "Instantly get X" on the text you don't get X just because you put the card on your development stack, you have to actually develop it into your tableau.

Thankfully the Roll rules are clear. I could just point to where it said "you only get things when you place tiles in your tableau" and point to it to support my position. But seriously, every single game no matter how many times he has played.

Also, OP, what is your favorite sushi type / cats name / best material to cover your game table / play on?
>>
>>54957054
>Roll for the Galaxy, Evolution, 7 Wonders

Don't own evolution, but I think some games are just easier to catch onto conceptually. I may be playing both 7 Wonders and Roll tomorrow in fact. I like both, and one of my group asked specifically for Roll.

> 51st State - The rule book fwiw was not helpful-clarifying anything during game.

This is just frustrating, though apparently not as as bad as Card Wars.

> willfully misundersands, misinterprits or forgets rules as it suits him.

That is such a shitty thing to do - particularly when you're gaming with family. If anyone in my group tried this repeatedly, they would be uninvited in an instant. But I get that when it's family it can create more problems than it solves.

Also, OP, what is your favorite sushi type / cats name / best material to cover your game table / play on?

Spicy Tuna Rolls, Hamachi (Yellow Tail), Dragon Rolls, etc, but I'll try damn near anything. We have a cat called "Buster Keaton" (after the actor) because said cat is funny and fearless. He just walks up and flops over on our large dogs when they're sleeping (Boxer and Great Pyrenees) who look at me like "Dude WTF?" and then put up with Buster. As for gaming table material - I'm partial to the rubber backed neoprene stuff like mouse pads are made of. It's soft, less noise when rolling dice, and still helps hold the board in place if someone jostles the table while we're gaming.
>>
>>54954883
Probably because it's not really a "lifestyle" bluffing game. Most people in the BGG community want a game like BSG or Avalon or Secret Hitler that you can really game the system of hard, build up conventions among you, learn your friends, and struggle your way to a skilled victory.

Secrets is more of a ONUW, Mascarade, Mafia de Cuba kinda bluffing game. It's quirky and bananas and while you can totally game it, it presents itself as far more casual and silly than that - a game where you can't read an opponent because they don't even know who they are, a game where decisions are made purely out of fun-factor sometimes.

That said, I said it presents that way, not that it actually is that way. I think it looks far sillier than it is. If you game this game, I am of the opinion that you will be just as capable at dominating via skill as you would be in any "serious" game.

Also, it's still new. The ratings always start low.

>>54954235
I only played with 6 and 7 players, about equal amounts of each. I think I liked 7 better, but only because all odd-numbered counts get two Hippies instead of 1, and I appreciate what the role of Hippie does for this game tremendously.

(If one ends the game with less points than any other person at the whole table, they instantly win alone. Always puts everyone on their toes.)

I also enjoy that 7+ players start the game by all getting to look at the center chip, because that feels empowering, starting with three data points instead of just two. It also allows the first few turns to start more confidently and give everyone a role to track when the Diplomat, who interacts with the center, is played.

Otherwise, I feel like both operated similarly enough. I don't know if it plays well at 4-5, which would certainly be valuable to know! Nor do I know higher than 7. But I think I'd intentionally go for 7 next time I play. Being able to see the center chip and getting those extra Hippies are both great, great bonuses for me.
>>
>>54954100
Lanterns is my bf's favorite, I'm not a mega fan myself, but with the expansion, I do like it.

It's simple but surprisingly cerebral. It's the sort of game where denying is half the strategy, and if you let even one wrong card slip through, you may hand them the game. The actual goal is very simple, just exchange stuff for points. Constantly. Not enough moving parts for me, it's almost abstract in its simplicity. The expansion adds some euro-y multiple-paths goodness - it's the only way I'll play it.

Closest comparison to another game I can make is Jaipur. It's like Jaipur only quirky and spatial.

Unless you play with 3 or 4. At anything but 2, the luck factor raises significantly as you can't deny everyone at once, and the game suffers, imo.

Probably best for couples who both enjoy Zen games.
>>
> What game(s) do you own that have the best written and/or easiest to teach rules?
Everything published by Tuesday Knight games, their rulebooks are legendarily well made, I actually feel confident sitting down with one and learning the game in 5 minutes with no help.

Mint Works is literally so completely unintelligible that pretty much everyone who owns it comments on how without Rahdo, nobody in the whole world would know how to play it.

Libertalia. That rulebook needs tons and tons of errata. Has none. Not one.
>>

Lords of Waterdeep, I would say. The writing is really just sort of passable, but teaching the game is unbelievably easy.

>What game(s) do you own that have the worst written / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?

Arkham fucking Horror. Jesus christ that game. The rulebook is ass cancer and the game itself is just such a clusterfuck of disparate arbitrary subsystems and upkeep.

Android's rulebook is also a goddamn nightmare, and that game's actually harder to teach because even with the strategy cards the learning curve is still fucked, and if you don't understand the strat you just aren't really playing the game at all.

>Are there games you would not buy because the rules have a reputation for being awful?

No, I avoid games because the game is awful, not because the rulebook is shit.

>What game do you own / have played that has caused the greatest amount of disagreement about the rules?

The new Star Wars Risk. We had to implement patches and houserules until the creators clarified stuff on BGG.
>>
>>54956335

>> What game(s) do you own that have the worst written / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?
The rules for Space Hulk: Death Angel are fucking horrific. Loads of referring further into the rulebook at the start, and referring backwards at the end.
>>
>>54957631
just read the middle
>>
>>54957579
>Everything published by Tuesday Knight games, their rule books are legendarily well made...

Hmmm, I've never heard of them that I recall. Thanks Anon, time to do some research.

> Mint Works ... without Rahdo, nobody in the whole world would know how to play it.

OK, that's funny and messed up. Rahdo is usually pretty ADD when it comes to his chaotic rules explanations. But I can't poke to much fun at Rahdo, his video did help sell me on Helionox.

>>54957619
> Arkham...

The stuff of memes. So many memes.

> Netrunner

I so want to teach this to my group because we'll be able to play casually without the whole net-decking competitive shiz (I hope) since I have a ton of the expansions and no one else will really need to invest in it.

> No, I avoid games because the game is awful, not because the rulebook is shit.

That's WAY TO LOGICAL! Guards! GUARDS!!! He's not one of us! ;)

>>54957631
On the plus side with Death Angle, I think there are some good player aids for it on Board Game Geek.
>>
>Family reunion this weekend
>Load the car up with games
>Leave guns home
>Everyone wants to go shooting
FAK
>>
>>54958594
STEEV! What have we told you about bringing board games to a gun fight?

Dayum! Board Gaming and Fire Arms? Couldn't you find a less expensive 2nd hobby? You know, something more reasonable like collecting yachts and high end sports cars.
>>
>>54958730
I'm in Idaho, man. It's basically a condition of citizenship.
>>
>>54959174
That may be so, but I'm pretty certain that when there are two dudes standing out in the middle of the street at high noon facing off against each other and someone yells "Draw!" - they aren't talking about Telestrations...
>>
>>54959340
I'm actually pretty annoyed, I own two guns I haven't even shot yet, and the cousins brought a case of tannerite exploding targets.

On the plus side a bunch did stay up until almost 2am playing Kenjin and King of Tokyo last night. Without firearms.
>>
>>54957054
>That pic...
Heterochromia where?
I feel cheated, sad and confused.
Officially triggered.
>>
>>54957631
What? I didn't think so
>>
File: the thing.jpg (3MB, 2176x2104px) Image search: [Google]
the thing.jpg
3MB, 2176x2104px
Rulebook is online.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0558/2081/files/TTIaO31_Rules.pdf
>>
Anyone played Banner Saga: Warbands? Miniature-driven shovelware or is there an actual game?
>>
File: it's schwarbage.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
it's schwarbage.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This game suuuucks.

It's the kind of game which planning and thought, but all the planning is thrown out by missions which kill dudes on the map. Dudes on the map give you control of a region for next round, where you will gain shit for free when other people use spaces in those regions. Going after everyone else gives you a huge advantage because it lets you clinch a vital region, or even use those kill cards to gain control of multiple regions over turns. Bidding money between rounds gives you access to ally cards which let you defer doing the important shit (placing your dudes) while fucking the opponent up. Regions are easily gained in the beginning, but change control seldom.

All in all, this card game has an odd dual problem: the leader will snowball ahead of everyone, but also the take that mechanics cause everyone who isn't snowballing to act out the Munchkin second-place-wins scenario, and putting shit in the blind cases doesn't fix this because a fair memory allows you to keep track of roughly who's got how much money.
>>
File: God bless TI3 part two.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
God bless TI3 part two.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>54962364
Oh, and I forgot to add that it's ridiculously over-produced. This game would be easier to grok at a glance with simple colored wooden cubes, cylinders, and meeples, but of course the theme is what the game is selling.
I only have room for one over-produced bullshit game in my life.
>>
>>54962384
TI4?
>>
>>54962677
I haven't decided what I'll do about 4. If I get away with it I'll probably call ANA and ask for "replacement" stuff I can use to upgrade 3 to 4.
>>
>>54959640
What guns? I bought a Beretta 92FS over a year ago and still haven't fired it. Tannerite is a lot of fun.
>>
Just found a new copy of Shards of the Throne for $99. Fucking score. Going to a cabin with friends for a few nights to check out the rennaisance fair, so I think I'm gonna take a night to pop our TI3 cherry.
>>
>>54963211
I was thinking about hauling out my CZ75b and CZ550 FS, neither have seen a single round in way too long. And maybe my izmash biathalon rifle for some .22 plinking.
>>
>>54959640
>Without firearms

Casuals
>>
File: 151796489.jpg (64KB, 500x599px) Image search: [Google]
151796489.jpg
64KB, 500x599px
I just started getting interested into boardgames and Im trying to remember the name of one some guy showed me a few years ago. I know its not "Cthulhu Wars" or "the Others: 7 Sins".
It might be Chaos of The Old World but im still unsure.

>very dark theme involving gods or the 7 deadly sins
>very detailed artwork on cards and miniatures, almost w40k like.
>pretty sure up to 7 players
>one character seemed to be female and embodied lust and torture, etc. while others resembled death, plagues, demons, and so on
>seemed pretty elaborate, id say 2-4 hour games.

I know those seem kinda vague but its all I really remember. anyone have any ideas or should i just stick with Chaos in the old world?
>>
>>54963802
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172047/others
>>
>>54963832
it not that one, i checked. Im pretty sure in the game I mentioned you play AS the 7 sins or gods the conquer the entire world or realm or whatever it is.
>>
I have a very important question. How do we turn Candyland into a euro while still keeping the core mechanic?
>>
File: Android_board_game.jpg (245KB, 648x442px) Image search: [Google]
Android_board_game.jpg
245KB, 648x442px
>>54958454

>Netrunner

No, Netrunner's rulebook is just fine, I said ANDROID.
>>
>>54964540

Define the core mechanic you want to keep.
>>
>>54964571
Well, in that case I'm glad. Thanks for the update.
>>
>>54963802
>It might be Chaos of The Old World but im still unsure.

CitOW only plays 4 (5 if you have the Horned Rat expansion).
>>
>>54964540
Tokaido
>>
>>54956335
>> What game(s) do you own that have the best written and/or easiest to teach rules?
Thanks to the use of tablet, I can explain Mansions of Madness 2nd edition in 5 minutes. Some questions will arise during gameplay but the game can be sufficiently explained in that time to start playing.
>> What game(s) do you own that have the worst written / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?
Probably Earth Reborn. I tried learning the game 5 times and I've pretty much given up now. If there's anyone in the south SF bay area willing to teach me the game, I'd jump on that opportunity in an instant.
>> Are there games you would not buy because the rules have a reputation for being awful?
Fallen City of Karez. I've played it once and it could be a good game but the rules are just a mess.
>> What game do you own / have played that has caused the greatest amount of disagreement about the rules?
Robinson Crusoe. So many tiny details it's easy to overlook and they're spread all over the rulebook.
>>
give a man who loves Mage Knight and Mage Knight alone some board game suggestions
>>
>>54964571
Check out the player handbooks on bgg.com, they have made some pretty great rule changes while keeping everything about the game intact. Haven't tried it out myself though.
>>
>>54965835
Mage knight expsnsions
>>
>>54965968

You mean the Director's Cut rules?

I like Android as it is just fine, warts and all. While the mechanics have weird interactions with the theme, I love the player interactions they create. I just wish it wasn't such an absolute beast to teach.

Arkham Horror is a game I regret. I enormously prefer Eldritch Horror, and Arkham Horror: The Card Game blows both completely out of the water. Android is a game I genuinely love, I just wish it would stop hitting me whenever it drinks too much, which is all the time.
>>
>>54965835
I suggest you go play Mage Knight.
>>
>>54966201
i have all of them plus star trek frontiers

>>54966223
i want to play a different game at some point though
>>
is the BSG board game good?
>>
>>54966212
I like the directors cut rules, but I also greatly respect the base rule set, while acknowledging things are not intuitive. There is no other game like it on the market, so having directors cut rules is almost like two seperate games for me.

>>54966297
Probably one of the best long-form traitor mechanic games on the market. Long form meaning its got meat on its bones, and isn't straight-forward traitor mechanic like werewolf or deception or anything. I wish I could get my group to play it more, because I like it a lot.
>>
>>54966322
does it need the Pegasus expansion to be good?
>>
>>54966368
Honestly I have no idea, I've only played the base game. I think that with just the base set you can adjust the difficulty pretty well by changing the starting resource values. If I ever played with my group again I'd give the humans extra resources in order to force the cylons to be more aggressive. I know for a fact though that pegasus expansion changes some rules (like there is an overlay for colonial one or something to change their abilities). Its my impression that yes it will make the game better, but the base game is pretty great on its own. Play it with your friends and if they like it and want to play more it would be a good investment.
>>
>>54965835
renegade is/ was on ks and made by ricky royal who does great mage knight videos. its very similar to mage knight in every way but theme and i think its only co op
>>
>>54966368
ill say my group and i have only played the base game and we love it. you will see the same cards over and over again even in one playthrough so i could see that annoying some players but there is still a ton of depth and opportunities for subtle deception that i would say its the favorite game in my group.

this last part might be really opinionated, but i dont see why anyone would buy dead of winter when bsg exists outside of theme preference. i think dead of winter is inferior in every possible way (again, excluding theme)
>>
>>54966297

As co-op traitor games go, it's the frontrunner for "literal best game in the genre". Even when the traitor's an incompetent fuckup it's good.

The downside is that it takes hours, usually about 3, not including setup. Games like Dead of Winter and Dark Moon take various compromise approaches to try and imitate BSG in a much shorter time frame, to varying degrees of success.
>>
Lords of Xidit is probably the easiest non-20 minute game I can teach. It's surprising how fast it is to teach, how simple the game is and how strategic the game turns out to be.

Imperial Settlers has, I think, one of the clearest rule books.
Hands down Ghost Stories. The rulebook is attrocious, you can't find anything the rules don't seem to be organized in any way that can by understood by the human mind.

Both War of the Ring and StarCraft are hard to teach - they're not hard per se
they just have a lot of interacting rules and it's easy to get overwhelmed.
Bad/complicated rules => bad game. If it's only about presentation (like Ghost Stories) I wouldn't mind.

Recenl Portal Game's releases spring to mind wrt badly written rules. I wouldn't touch Cry Havoc with a very tall Pole because of the shitty rules.
>>
Scan of all the 17 Twilight Imperium 4th races, front and back (with background)
http://imgur.com/a/kfzt2

I really hate what they have done with Winnu, basically they are the race that's only good at taking Mecatol Rex... Let's see how important it is according to objectives

They also have a racial tech to swap influence and resources (the Yin racial in 3rd edition) so yeah, they went from a race that was techy and competent at everything to "those MR guys"
>>
>>54967982
Oh boy, let's make destroyers even *more* powerful.
>>
>>54968047
How so? They have the exact same stat line as in TI3, and they cna upgrade their combat roll and their barrage - again as in TI3
>>
>>54968071
It's been so long I've played that I've forgotten that destroyers already make the anti-fighter barrage.
>>
>>54968094
>>54968071
Although I'm sure that the Arborec got a huge fucking nerf.
>>
>>54968101
And I think the Letnev and the Yin got a slight buff.
>>
>>54968101
They are exactly the same, but from the rules it seems that units in a system pool their produciton, meaning that 2 ground forces now can produce another 2 for just 1 resource.
It also sems like units with production can move/invade/land and produce and that's a huge fucking deal for Arborec; in Ti3 they were a slowass race that usually could be stopped dead or rebuffed before it got its economy going, now they can invade your shit and set up shop in the same action.
>>54968125
The Letnev sure did, the L1z1x I'm not sure. They were kind of garbage in expansionless TI3, I guess it depends on how their racial techs were converted.
>>
>>54968220
Oh fugg, I didn't see that the infantry had the production.
I coulda sworn they flat couldn't produce but their ground dudes doubled every round.
>>
>>54961027
neat
>>
>>54962384
>grok
>meeples

kill urself my dude
>>
ded thread
>>
>>54971482
more like bored games hyuk hyuk
>>
I'm skimming through the BGG gencon interviews.

It seems Modiphius isnt communicating about siege of the citadel AT ALL which worries the shit out of me as a backer.

Other than that I'm not seeing anything that screams "gotta get that shit"
>>
Is Space Alert good?
>>
File: time of legends joan of arc.jpg (241KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
time of legends joan of arc.jpg
241KB, 1440x1080px
How much is too much?
>>
>>54973532

I dunno man, I'm sure even if it was half the size, it'd still look ginormous compared to these figures. Seems like a waste... and a nightmare to store that shit.
>>
>>54973576
At what point do you display a mini rather than store it? Make it big enough and it becomes a decoractive piece.
>>
Is there anything in TI3 that needed to be fixed? Is TI4 even necessary?
>>
>>54973605
At that point right there. But then again I have my painted fleet captain stuff on display...
>>
>>54973605

I need room for my lego, kamen riders, transformers and monster high dolls. You're going in the closet, dragon.
>>
>>54974162
>lego
>kamen riders
>transformers
>monster high dolls
>all those as decoration

Sounds like that dragon will keep you company in the closet.
>>
File: 1457447684372.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457447684372.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
>>54974350
>>
Love Letter, Ankh Morpork, Shadow Hunters
Dilbert: Corporate Shuffle (too busy being "funny" to explain shit) or Rule of Alchemist (genuine A WINNER IS YOU-level crap. I wish I was kidding)
Myth
Munchkin
>>
>>54968220
>Letnev
>Garbage

Naga don't know about double docking the Letnev home system for EXTREME production.
>>
>>54975579
I was talking about the L1z1x mate. Even if they got a very good HS too.
Speaking of which...
>>54967982
The thing this game didn't need was a Sardakk N'orr nerf. That +1 to combat wasn't relaly considered threatening by anyone who could bring fancy techs to bear and now they have to play catchup on the reds too.
>>
>>54975278
Oh, and My Dwarves Can Fly had a pretty bad rulebook. Most of the game is focused on combat, and it doesn't really explain how combat works
>>
>>54975694
Maybe they let them keep that broken racial tech in compensation
>>
>>54973770
Yeah the combat which they didn't touch
>>
How would you replace dice combat with another system? Would you use cards? Static values? Twister board?
>>
>>54977084
Way too broad a question. Are you talking about designing a game from the ground up or modifying an existing one? How does the existing one work? How much of the rest of the game do you want to have to change?
>>
>>54956335

Munchkin is definitely on the list. It captured many of the people that tried it with me. Bang! is the absolute winner for me, but people tend to get pissed at it.

>What game(s) do you own that have th
e worst written / layed out rules, or rules that are a pain to teach?

I would say Arkham Horror, but considered that before buying expansions I could manage to play a decent game, I guess it is alright for me if vanilla. Now, Tänhauser, that's a complete mess: some item descriptions are missing, and the few tgat are fully detailed make the game something of "who shoots first wins the game."

Secret Hitler, definitely. It always ends in shouting because we can never agree if the voting is only to elect the chancellor or for pick laws as well. The fact that more than not the Hitler player doesn't benefit from secrecy for real doesn't help as well
>>
>>54977404
>munchkin has great rules
>secret hitler has confusing and divisive rules
What the hell, does your whole group have brain tumors?
>>
>>54977498
No, but it has a couple of shit bluffers that try to cover it by trash-talking, then proceed to reee when the game gets cut short either because the fascists thumb their noses and elect Hitler by fooling them in saying "Ja" or the Liberals can outright declare who's who.
>>
>>54973770
>two official expansions that replace some components and rules as well as an unofficial fan made balance patch/rules tweak

What do you think?

>>54974350
Top kek.
>>
>>54964540
I've been working on "weaponized" candyland. I'd be further but my kids lost some pieces and it kind of interferes with playtesting.
>>
File: file.jpg (89KB, 1200x498px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
89KB, 1200x498px
>>54965835
do you also only like one song?

maybe tell us some games you played, didn't like and why (and please not "well because it wasn't mage knight")
>>
>>54973532
why are the mini minis three to a base
>>
>>54980992
Strength in numbers
>>
>>54980992
Typically multiple figures on a base represents a unit rather than an individual or hero.

Such a good day - got in a longer 7 player game of Citadels with lots of trash talking. Our 'unfortunate' player managed to assassinate both his fiance (twice!) and his mother. We might as well start calling him 'Mr Stink-eye' since he was on the receiving end of an awful lot of it again this game. I won that game as I was the first 8 districts, as well as having all 5 colors, and I had a number of high point districts. At least this game the assassinations were more spread out, and people are finally starting to catch on to the core strategies.

We also played 5 or 6 'four player' games of Fairy Tale. Good game with some interesting choices. The player who won our first game went on to win all of the rest of them. Solid game and a lot of fun. I just couldn't catch a break on the combo cards, but am looking forward to playing it again.
>>
Has anyone played any of the descent 2E co op scenarios? Thinking of picking them up for me and my friends since we enjoy descent, but aren't super into the 1 vs many aspect. Would also like to be able to play solo from time to time.

On that note, has anyone tried the road to ruin app?
>>

Anything small, really. Love letter is probably the simplest, but more often than not I'll start people off with Coup because it draws people in a little more. If you wanted to take it a step up and go for heavier games, maybe Ascension. My non-gamer friends have been able to catch on to it very quickly.

Mistfall. It's a great game once you know how to play but learning it is a nightmare. The second edition which is what I have is supposed to have more streamlined rules too, but they still aren't great.

Definitely not. As long as there exists some sort of resource to learn the game, and the game is good, I'll try it. Mage Knight was one of the hardest games I've ever had to learn, but through a combination of FAQ's, constant rulebook checking, and Ricky Royal's videos, I learned how to play and it was worth every second because the game is fantastic.

Millennium Blades. It's not entirely the games fault, because the core rules of the game are laid out fine. The problem is that there are just so many fucking cards that the number of interactions get ridiculous, and almost every time we play, there's usually at least one point in the night where we have to come to a conclusion as a group as to how something plays out because there's no real predefined rule for it in the given situation. Doesn't ever deter us from playing it (hands down my group's and probably my favorite game) but it's definitely caused some discussions.
>>
>>54982718
>there's usually at least one point in the night where we have to come to a conclusion as a group as to how something plays out
My group is so used to this, we rule until we can look into it further that the owner of the game gets final say and usually they will try to make as fair a ruling as their understanding can go, not trying to give themselves any kind of advantage.
>>
>>54982796
That's more or less how we do it too, but I'm also usually open to most votes, unless im adamant something plays a certain way in which case we'll look it up. If we can't find anything and I'm still outvoted, we go with whatever is being voted for. But generally they trust my judgement for how something works because they know I'm not gonna bullshit them.

It also helps that while I own all the games and teach all the rules, one of the guys is a "rules lawyer" to the extent that he usually ends up skimming through the rule books and finding things that I missed or got wrong. I don't always catch every detail in the rulebook or forget about a rule until part way through cause I'm always teaching them all these different games, but he helps in keeping us in line. It's good having a rules lawyer that isn't a dick about it.
>>
>>54956335
>> What game(s) do you own that have the best written and/or easiest to teach rules?
Any GMT game.

Any Vlaada Chvatil game and the more complicated FFG games after they switched to the two-rulebook format.

>> Are there games you would not buy because the rules have a reputation for being awful?
You mean the way the rules are written? Fuck no, worst case just read a BGG restructuring.

>> What game do you own / have played that has caused the greatest amount of disagreement about the rules?
Godfather, they say "majority" but the example clearly demonstrates a plurality.
>>
>>54973407

If you play with people who pay attention and don't get upset about losing a game sometimes and can laugh about it then yes.

If you play with fuckwits who don't pay attention and want to play a a full game in "turn based/slow mode" outside of real time(for what purpose.png) and/or if you have people who get mad at other people for doing certain actions then no.

I have no idea what your playgroup is like. I pretty much stopped playing Space Alert with one of my friends because I seriously think he has figuratively smoked himself retarded from too much weed. I play it with everyone else though. The fun in Space Alert comes from the chaos and somehow accidentally doing the right thing, not on whether you succeed through absolute perfect play.
>>
>>54974350

It's pretty comfy in there.
>>
>>54956335
Besides simple games like Love Letter / Coup? Probably Carcassonne.

Archipelago was a nightmare to teach since every mechanic is somehow connected to another, the rulebooks not bad though.

Absolutely, if I can't understand the rules how am I supposed to play the game?

Hmm, not sure really. Probably some ambiguously worded piece of shit game we got rid of.
>>
>>54956335

Small games are generally easy to teach. As for something a little more meaty that's still very easy ? Hmmm... Maybe them d&d adventure games.
Best written ? No idea.

I hate teaching roll for the galaxy, mechanics are pretty unintuitive. Worst rulebooks : Fantasy flight can be pretty bad but my most consistently AWFUL experience has been with Queen games. I remember I was reading the french rulebook for Shogun (because I'm french, of course) and some of the instructions didnt make sense to me so I thought "Im going to cross reference that with the english rulebook" and some of it still didnt make sense so one of my buddys at the table picked the german rulebook and finally we've been able to piece it together. Also the rulebook for Escape from zombie city is even worse, with rules missing ENTIRELY.

Nope, but since lots of people mention myth, storytime : I backed it and in the looong time it took for the game to finally arrive, I watched lots of preview and reviews for the game and found out I already hated the game without playing it, when it finally arrived, I checked if everything was there, resealed the box and sold it back (found a buyer the very same day)

That hasnt happened in years. Last time it happened was way the fuck back when we were all playing heroclix (when it was first released in 2002). Turns out we were ALL wrong.
>>
okay /bgg/ it may be solitaire, but does anyone know about Last Seven Days?
>>
>>54956335
I don't really remember rulebooks too much. My only quality on rulebooks I think about is how easy it is to find a rule you want to refresh yourself on or answer something very specific. And for that case I would cite a number of Fantasy Flight games, in particular Fury of Dracula 3rd ed. Yeah the reference is nice, and you'd bet that it's a nice compilation of all the rules, right? Wrong. There are still numerous important rules that are only stated in the 'how to play' book and are tucked away in tiny paragraphs between images.

I'm assuming you mean rules layout or way they teach the rules. In that case, no. If I think it's going to be a good game, I'll get it and struggle through the rules.

If you just mean the gameplay rules in general are awful, then that would mean it's a shit game.

Most rule arguments from my group are from pen and paper RPGs, but that's just what happens in those. I can't really thing of any major rule disagreement we've ever had about board games that wasn't solved by re-reading the rule for that situation.
>>
>>54974112
Gief Pics

>>54973770
Where do you think shattered ascension came from?
>>
I'm waiting for my copy of forbidden stars to ship...excitement is an understatement
>>
File: SSF2T_Zangief.gif (13KB, 404x440px) Image search: [Google]
SSF2T_Zangief.gif
13KB, 404x440px
>>54986389

>Gief Pics

Sure thing dude.
>>
>>54956335

Chinatown, Lords of Waterdeep, 7 Wonders.

Hegemonic, Starcraft and to lesser extent Power Grid. These aren't bad games at all but you reference different parts of the rulebook a fair amount. Power Grid only confuses some players sometimes because of the timing of the phase 3 card kind of messes up a few things and that the first turn is different to the rest of the turn in regards to turn order. I also found Cargo Noir to be somewhat confusing in the layout but figured it out after a while.

None. I will play anything.

Only on a minor level and that was oddly King of Tokyo with expansions. Turns out there was a printable FAQ online and that solved all the power up interaction questions.
>>
>>54982089
I'm just saying/asking did they make everything a unit because they're too small to function as individual minis?

This is my big problem with the whole
>can't use imagination we need smaller minis
meme, the minis are too small for my fucking arthritic hands
>>
>>54965835
If multiplayer, Duel of Ages II.

If solitaire, dunno.
>>
>>54984137
>Absolutely, if I can't understand the rules how am I supposed to play the game?

>2017
>reading the rulebook is the only possible source of information
>>
>>54989675
IIRC some of the heroes are individual minis.

As for me, it's my eyes that are getting old. I've now got a couple of giant magnifiers / lamps on stands so I can actually see what the hell I'm supposed to be painting.
>>
>>54990024
>tfw you can't make out which cards are up for draft

You should get some 2.0x reading glasses. I can't do anything detailed without a headlamp and my granny glasses.
>>
>>54972517
There was not a whole hell of a lot that was "HOLY SHIT" levels at Gencon this year. The crowd wasn't even crazy, which makes sense since they just released numbers and said around 60k unique badges. There was a definite ramp up in fucking over the consumer though, lots of booths weren't dropping prices at all until Sunday, CSI didn't do any of their regular price drops in the Ding/Dent, assuming people would come back after waffling on a purchase. There were a few nice freebies/promos when you bought, but that's always the case when you pay full retail to publishers at a con.
>>
>>54956335

Probably either Race for the Galaxy, or one of the COIN games from GMT.
Legendary Alien & Predator. Love the game but the rules are cancer.
Not really.
Never really had that much issues with rules.
>>
File: myth busters giant baby.gif (2MB, 201x145px) Image search: [Google]
myth busters giant baby.gif
2MB, 201x145px
Does someone else gets really turn off by kickstarter games? nothing makes me avoid a game more than the fact that the game have tons of impossible to get content.

I just discover this game, Masmorra, that looked interesting as a light dungeon crawler game, only to discover that 1/3 of the game is impossible to get.
>>
>>54993335
Yeah, that's pretty much the consensus around here. Go ahead and make exclusives if you want, but make them special sculps or alternate art or something else fluffy instead of HALF THE DAMN GAME.
>>
>>54956335

Century: Spice Road

7 Wonders Duel

Can't think of any, but I definitely wouldn't buy something I couldn't figure out how to play

Don't recall
>>
>>54993335
>buys CMoN game
>it's locked behind KS bullshit
How is this a surprising thing? It's why they split from SPM, it's why it was HUGE NEWS they were releasing all of 30 games in 2016-17 that weren't KS, it's why people buy games from them at cons (each X spent = y tickets to buy KS exclusives with as a bonus). CMoN is just as evil as Asmodeethulu it's just a different type of evil
>>
>>54993611
I just found out about them today. Still they just needed to add a pdf with the rules of the extra things and keep the physical representation of them kickstarter, as it stands now I don't even want to buy the game for half the price.
>>
>>54993699
>pdf with the rules of the extra things
They've done this off and on with some of their games, Masmorra just came out in like March, so it wouldn't be surprising if they haven't bothered to put up scans or the BGG community hasn't gotten around to it yet.
>>
>>54956335
Anyone want to recommend a game for me? im liking agricola and i also like dice games (eldar signs).

will i like scythe?
>>
File: ASMDiceForge.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ASMDiceForge.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>54994493

Scythe is a good euro game with worker placement like Agricola. Heavy but the turns go really fast since you can only do one thing. No dice rolling though. For that, I recommend pic related. You can custom your starting dice by buying new ones in-game and popping the faces off. It's also really simple.
>>
>>54995111

Actually, scratch that "like Agricola" part. You're still placing a worker every turn, it's just the same one and only on your player board. Still good though.
>>
>>54994493
Dark Souls
>>
Red Dragon Inn 5 boss mode is actually p fun
>>
>>54994493
Scythe is dull and mediocre. You won't derive no enjoyment from it, but neither would it really be worth your while

If you like Agricola and Elder Sign, consider Stone Age or Champions of Midgard. They're lighter and more forgiving than Agricola and implement dice in a decent fashion. You might also like A Feast For Odin.
>>
>>54987583
Nice, hope your group likes it as much as mine does.

>>54989949
If you can't be fucked to write your primary source of rules in such a way the average person can learn to play from them, prepare to have your game forgotten within a month. There is so much coming out these days nobody has time for badly written rules and cross-referencing 3 different BGG interpretations in order to play a game, no matter how good it might be.
>>
>>54994493
I can tell you my group's experience with it, which was that the first time we played, we all felt kind of "meh" about it and we shelved it for a little while but did want to pick it back up since we sort of felt like we weren't really sure what we were doing. A few weeks later we brought it back out and had a WAY better time of it since we had a better idea of how the game actually plays out and what we should be doing at any given time. I think the number one thing I can tell people about it is that it's not a combat game, which I think a lot of people going into it think because of the mechs. It's really a resource gathering, worker placement game with the possibility of light combat. Combat itself is more about who has more "combat resources" than any actual skill and has very little strategy to it. You often end up stockpiling power and combat cards and sort of eyeing each other, until one person suddenly amasses 2-3 mechs on one spot and moves in.

TLDR it's a fun game, but one that didn't catch on with us at first, so if you do get it, give it a chance before dismissing it if you don't outright hate your first playthrough.
>>
File: IMG_0376.jpg (723KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0376.jpg
723KB, 3264x2448px
It's not board game related but I got to see the total solar eclipse today and I wanted to share a photo with you all. It was really awesome!
>>
>>54997851
pretty sweet pic actually, ty for sharing
>>
File: 1413927673550.jpg (53KB, 800x706px) Image search: [Google]
1413927673550.jpg
53KB, 800x706px
>>54997851
>>
Looking for a good 2-player game and I'm trying to decide between Onitama and Raptor. Thoughts? I'll probably end up picking the one I don't grab this week some time next month
>>
>>54998737
Raptor so I can play vicariously through you
>>
So if I can find a group of people who are willing to spend a whole day playing a single game, is Twilight Imperium worth it?

Im fascinated by a game that takes a whole day and is really in the thick of it with everything. Reviews look promising and im excited about a new edition
>>
>>54998737
Both are excellent 2 player games, so I think what you need to choose between is whether or not you like abstracts with perfect information (onitama). Otherwise I'd get both because they are both really tightly designed games.
>>
>>54998752
if the idea of the game looks appealing to you and you are willing to learn a game with a fuckload of stuff going on you will love TI
>>
>Play lords of waterdeep for the dirst time
>Have a lot of fun throughout
>The two people I was against had around 118 vp
>I ended up with nearly 140 vp
I should play this more often. It's like during midgame, you think you're out because you're way behind and then you complete a quest that awards you 25 vp. I like that.
>>
>>54998737
I think Hex and Santorini are both better than Onitama, but thats just me. Onitama is fun, but it gets stale quicker than those games because its simpler.

Never played Raptor.
>>
File: dennwut.jpg (46KB, 470x626px) Image search: [Google]
dennwut.jpg
46KB, 470x626px
>>54998851
>Onitama is simpler than Santorini
>>
>>54997851
The eclipse is totally /bgg/ related, tons of gamers likely missed it traveling back from Gencon, and those who didn't were able to stand outside for more than the time it takes to walk from their car to the blacked out LGS.
>>
>>54998844

When I'm playing Lords of Waterdeep, the only player I'm sure won't win is whoever appears to be in the lead, and then only if they're leading by a margin of 10 or less.

Anybody can score a massive come from behind late in the game off a valuable quest, but their Lord card can also just be a gigantic swing, especially if nobody's been competing for (or hatedrafting) their quests. If the leader's choice of quests leaves you scratching your head as to what he's going for and he doesn't own many buildings, he's probably getting fuck all from his Lord, which means everyone else will have a chance to catch up.
>>
I've never played it before, but I'm considering taking the plunge and getting TI4. Any TI3 vets have any advice? Does the new edition look worth it? Should I wait for the price to drop?
>>
>>54999658
Yes, it's worth it. If Twilight Imperium looks like a game that you'd like you'll probably going to love it if you're willing to put the effort in to play. And I said "play" and not "learn" because the game isn't hard to learn, it's just time consuming. If you don't mind that, it's fantastic.
>>
STEEV!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1834192/complete-ti4-ability-breakdown

Would you say the races are more balanced now?
>>
>>55001097
https://imgur.com/a/kfzt2#tOsuiwZ
>>
>>54999658
TI ha a duration that can go from 1 hour per player, if everyone is on board, almost never needs to reference the rulebook and does not take too much to take their turns, to probably 2 hours per player when learning.
Make sure your group is willing to commit before spending the money.
>>
>>54998752
TI is quite shorter than "a whole day", but if your group has that kind of time you can't go wrong with Civilization, which might jsut be the best boardgame in history.
>>
>>55001337
>TI ha a duration that can go from 1 hour per player, if everyone is on board, almost never needs to reference the rulebook and does not take too much to take their turns, to probably 2 hours per player when learning.
IME those times are more like 45-90 than 60-120.
>>
>>54999658
I really want to get TI4 but none of my friends would be up for playing it.
>>
>>54999102
We got back from Gencon just in time to go watch it, but we were up in DC so we only got partial totality. We could have stayed in the line for the total eclipse, but then we'd get home at night and be miserable today.

Well, more miserable than we are. I caught a nasty case of con crud, but I'm out of vacation time so I've gotta work anyway.
>>
>>54993392
Seconding the Spice Road, I love the flow of that game but how is 7W Duel a pain to teach ?
Win with 7 science symbols, or Military or Points,
your turn : pick card, build it, sell it , wonder it.
2 same science symbols you get a progress token
and if you don't have a resource pay 2 bux + X where x is the production difference between you and me

Tought it to so many people without issues
>>
>>54994493
If you are an Agricola guy stick with Uwe games and try Caverna or even A Feast for Odin.
If you love a really theme heavy and beautiful worker placer, take a look at Viticulture I love that one.

Scythe is pretty good but I would hardly call it a real worker placer as you have quite limited descisions in that one
>>
>>54998737
Out of those 2, Raptor BUT if you can get a demo or try it out take a look at the 2player Caverna Cave VS Cave game, really loving it ever since it came into the store a month ago.
>>
>>54999658
The new edition looks like a really good place to get into the game if you think it's something your group can enjoy, yes.

>>55001097
I want to see the racial techs and unique promissory note before I can say for sure, but so far it definitely looks like a step in the right direction for most races. A couple changes that don't make sense to me, but I'm with holding judgment on them until we have all the information.
>>
>>55002746
Gotcha, I slept late and had a 4hr drive back to Michigan so I was parking my car just as it ended, figure there's another one coming to the midwest in ~2024 it's around WYC I should get to see that one with a bunch of gamers

>con crud
I feel for you, had that back in April, this time I just got away with massive exhaustion. Got like 4hrs of sleep a night due to 7 people in a house with 1 bathroom, combined with another friend showing up two nights to hang out and not recognizing when we all wanted to go to sleep at 10-11 instead of 2am.

On the other hand I got a couple of really lucky grabs in the consignment store and got to embarrass the hell outta my friend via the CMoN booth so definitely a successful Gencon
>>
L5R LCG

Yes?

Is this a bbg topic even?
>>
>>55003289
Definitely on topic, but not sure how many will have in depth opinions on it since it just released in Indy on Thursday. Not sure how soon it's going to be in local stores, but CSI still has it as a pre-order status
>>
>>54998752
Also consider Here I Stand and Virgin Queen, you could play them back to back and make it an entire weekend
>>
Anyone know of a good place to buy d10s? I'm really interested in TI4 and I'd like to get different colored d10 for all of the different units (blue for fighters, red for destroyer, etc). That way players can roll all of the dice at once and know what die represents what ship.
>>
>>55003518
Chessex is the easy answer, either on their shop or Amazon.
>>
>>55003518
>>55003688
Chessex would net you 10d10 sets if you bought individually, there's a lot of generic brands out there too, Amazon just had a bunch up during prime day (including a massive 20 poly 7 sets) but if you're looking for multiple dice colors you might try your luck with one of the "pound o dice" since it has a mix of colors in all the main poly types. They are factory seconds though, so they might not be perfectly even rolling (but for that you'd want GameScience levels of autism).

If you just want simple colors guaranteed to have at least 6d10? Wiz dice are pretty basic but only like $20
>amazon.com/Wiz-Dice-Random-Polyhedral-Multiple/dp/B009R6J8RY
>>
File: IMG_1687.jpg (257KB, 1424x859px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1687.jpg
257KB, 1424x859px
Received my GBII Kickstarter deluxe edition. Spent the whole afternoon sorting all that shit so it fits in the two boxes.

I'm pretty worried about this new game. I heard some of the scenarios werent properly tested and are borderline unwinnable.
Hooray for fucking FAQ and erratas. I love those. Kill me.
>>
>>55004240
>Kill me

No no anon, kill yourself.
>>
>>55004240
Untested content in kickstarter releases that needs faqs and erratas?
Unheard of!
>>
File: 1499434392648.jpg (243KB, 812x810px) Image search: [Google]
1499434392648.jpg
243KB, 812x810px
>>55004240
>Cryptozoic KS
Wait, you bought this after seeing the clusterfuck that the first one was?
>>
>>55004275
Sounds like a lot of work, if you aint gonna help, I'll just have to keep on living
>>55004340
Yup, and still I'm a sucker... I still back games !
>>55004387
You havent even heard the last of it : I also backed their Walking Dead game. Stayed through the entire traiwreck of a campaign.
>>
File: 1485062778569.jpg (85KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1485062778569.jpg
85KB, 442x650px
>>55004427
Ok since you seem to have some sort of learning disability then I'll explain this as simply as possible
>DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CRYPTOZOIC
Renegade is fine though, that's a spin off brand that's done quality work
>>
After years of being a Munchkin (though I did have tons of fun with it), I decided to splurge on HeroQuest for my siblings so we could play together. I do, however, wish there were a bit more classes and quests, so does anybody know a good supplementary site for it?
>>
>>55004451
>DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CRYPTOZOIC
For what it's worth, I think Epic Spell Wars is neat in a dumb kind of way, and Word Whimsy is the best CAH replacement you've never heard of.
>>
>>55005600

I fucking love the art in Epic Spell Wars. And the game is fine.
>>
>>55005600
That's fair, there's always exceptions to a rule; let me reword this. Never buy anything directly from Cryptozoic; it means you avoid their shitty KS half finished games, the licensed garbage, and the overpriced half decent games. They've clearly got a couple decent guys on payroll, how else would they have been able to develop decent games before spinning off Renegade; but it requires sifting a lot of shit.
>>
File: 20170821_205613.jpg (880KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_205613.jpg
880KB, 2048x1152px
>finally make it to board game group
>new guy insists on playing TtR:euroshit
>everybody else hates TtR to some degree
>new guy has played it once but just INSISTS
>sets it up
>doesn't explain shit
>what are these train stations tho?
>don't know we didn't use those
>what are these gray/black border routes?
>don't know we didn't use those
>what are these other gray with an engine silhouette?
>don't know we just ignored those
>other guy is speed reading the rules trying to figure this euro shit out
>none of us actually remember the basic game play anyway
>new guy is like can't we just ignore the special routes and treat them like normal gray?
>everybody: fucking no
>start playing
>new guy keeps all his minor routes and draws twice more and keep all of those

we got going eventually and I fucking crushed it, 102 next nearest was in the 80s. New guy is green (fucking amazing he didn't do worse. Red didn't even complete his first two tickets the poor punter.

I fucking hate TtR more than ever, and now I can honestly say I also fucking hate the euro version.
>>
>>55003688
>>55003928
Thanks guys
>>
>>55005829
TtR can eat a bag of dicks
>>
Anyone know when TI4 will be available to purchase in stores or online?
>>
>>55006259
Probably pretty late this year, around christmas, they're still listing it as at the printer.
>>
>>55006378
Awesome, thanks!
>>
>>55005829
Maybe he is new to board games, and his previous mates were shit.
give him some credit on it, if he comes to you, he propably wants to learn something new, but dont know how to do it, because of his previous experience
>>
>>55004427
>>55004451
>>55004387
>Tales of woe?
What's wrong with crypt again?
>>
>>55001356
>TI is quite shorter than "a whole day"
Maybe for experienced 3-4 player, but for new 5+? It's gonna run at least 8 hours w/ explanations.
>>
>>55004451
Disappointed as fuck that I missed Clank in Space. It fixed most of the problems I had with Clank.
>>
>>55007555
One of the primary reasons not to play with 5+.
And to link people to the rulebook beforehand.
>>
>>55006746
Their catalog is mostly licensed games (Rick & Morty, DC, Adventure Time, Ghostbusters, etc) which sell on the IP more than the mechanics. Some of their stuff is really good (Spyfall) some is decent and good casual fun (Epic Spell Wars) some is just atrocious (Archer: The Danger Zone). They're just one of those companies that puts out games just good enough to make them money back on the license, rather than putting out something truly wonderful; which lets other publishers do the same, and the customer is the one who suffers.

I don't think there's inherently a problem with being a "licensed IP publisher" and that being your bread and butter, but you need to get better over time and they seem to be slower at it. Like how CMoN started out as "check out all this fucking plastic" and then started putting out more offerings and better ones (though they've got a ways to go still); or Iello solely as kids games to start but now moving more into other fields with grabbing foreign rights. Hell even AEG moved out of RPG/CCG territory into board games, and while Love Letter/Smash Up are clearly the franchise there, they put out a lot of other games.
>>
>>55007594
Did they even KS that? I was under the impression that Renegade wasn't going to use that tool. Either way when it releases this fall it shouldn't have any exclusives, hell the only thing listed for it not in the core is a single promo card.
>>
>>55007680
Nobody ever reads the rules beforehand
>>
>>55008277
A man can dream.
>>
>>55008381
I'm with you
>>
File: CUNTPASTINGkek.png (23KB, 653x400px) Image search: [Google]
CUNTPASTINGkek.png
23KB, 653x400px
>>55004240

btw, since we're talking about this game, I have to post this gem I screencapped during the campaign.
>>
>>55007877
I mean at GenCon. They did a soft release at their booth, and it was sold out by the time I realized it existed.
>>
>>55008277
>Nobody ever reads the rules beforehand
>>55008381
>A man can dream.

So much this! On one hand I'm fortunate that my regular gaming group is willing to try a lot of different games and are generally quick to pick up the rules of play when explained to them. On the other, it's a chore at times to teach longer and more complex games because no one else reads the rules in advance. And then people complain that they didn't do well in the game. No duh! You are extremely unlikely to grasp subtle things or figure out advanced strategies when you are still trying to learn the turn order and base mechanics.
>>
>>55009383
Gotcha, I stopped even looking at releases the last couple years made the whole event too stressful. Hell this year I took a 2hr lunch every day rather than try to maximize my time in demos/exhibit hall, best Gencon I've had yet, even if I didn't get enough sleep.
>>
File: Oglaf.jpg (98KB, 911x910px) Image search: [Google]
Oglaf.jpg
98KB, 911x910px
>>55009118
Technically BGG is board gaming porn... Right? So they must be talking about a 'Bio-Shock' board game and Little Sisters...
>>
>>55009604
Sounds like a good plan for next year. I did have a lot of fun with the exhibit hall, and don't regret going through the list of things to try there, but I honestly think I had just as much fun when I spent a couple of hours at the Mayfair and Rio Grande tables trying a bunch of ten year old games I'd never played because nobody I knew owned them. And way more fun at either than the way too long I spent in the Dealer's Room.
>>
>>55009604
I let my friends worry about getting the new and shiny, and spend my time eating, playing the new and shiny they buy, and buying shit I actually want at CoolStuff. Bought Comancheria and Time of Crisis, and the rest is just eye candy.
>>
>>55009785
Yeah it took me a couple years to figure out what worked best for me, at this point I don't mind walking around all day even if it's not really walking (gf came for the first time, she's a marathon runner and the "trudging not walking" kicked her ass). I have to limit myself to ~7 hrs of gaming per day though, or else I find I'm too brain dead to really figure out if I liked something or not. My sister and her family just bring snacks (brother in law even sits there doing math to make sure he brings 1500kcal) but I can't just eat some beef jerky and a power bar and call it good, plus getting out of the crush for an hour and going someplace quiet really helps.

With you on the demo'ing old games rather than trying to get in on the new hotness, I tested out stuff from last Gencon (The Networks, Potion Explosion, Santorini, Dragon & Flagon) or older (Legends of Andor) since I never see them at any of the smaller cons or from other gaming friends. Nice to help pare down my buy list before the older stuff goes on crazy markdowns during the holiday season.
>>
>>55009931
I was kinda disappointed in the CSI ding/dent this year, most of it wasn't really damaged, just torn shrink (which is fine) but they didn't discount like normal. Also seemed like they brought less, and reloaded their shelves fewer times, but maybe it was just people buying faster this year. The consignment store had some excellent finds, just didn't get up early enough Saturday to grab any of them; that line was a good 45 minutes all day until around 5pm.
>>
>>55009981
And here I didn't even realize there was a consignment store. I don't think it's worth spending 45 minutes in line for anything, though. Well, except maybe a copy of Glory to Rome being sold sans markup.
>>
>>55009118
>More pedos on kickstarter
Almost as many keks as Khell getting wrecked in the Dropfleet Commander kickstarter comments.
>>
>>55010172
It's off to the side of the auction house, anything that doesn't sell gets put in (along with games put up solely for consignment sale) with dropping prices from Thur-Sat. The line on Sat morning at 9am when they opened was awful, stretched back past Cardhalla and they only let in a few at a time (due to checking bags) so unless you're really early you miss out on the best things that dropped $5-10 overnight. I was hoping to grab Shadows Over Camelot for $32, or Memoir '44 for $30; no dice. Did get World of Yo-Ho for $20 and Bisikle for $19 though, and a shitload of puzzles for the gf, some even in shrink for $2-3 each and that was at 530pm.

There's always shitloads of old RPG books/modules though, some crafts/toys, and way way way too many copies of Risk/Monopoly/Trivial Pursuit. Hell last year I almost snagged a copy of LotR: Confrontation Deluxe, but another gamer picked up the box while I was blocked by a landwhale for 20sec in the aisle. Course last year seemed to just have better games in every shop (Fire in the Lake/Thunder Alley for 50% off because of no shrink was really hard to pass up)
>>
>>55009118
Does he actually expect anyone to believe him? Or is it just some weird face-saving ritual people do, like claiming they meant to trip and fall on their ass?
>>
>>55011703
It sounded more like "oh shit what if mom reads this" to me.
>>
Any of the more casual anons here got an opinion on NY Slice? Been thinking about grabbing it for family get togethers
>>
>>55014292
I've seen it and I'm slightly intrigued but I haven't really looked into it yet
>>
asked previously to no avail, anyone know where i can find a printable version of citadels?
>>
>>55014720
Check pdf share, 8ch, and BGG files. If it's not on any of those you'll have to take pictures at a game cafe and bust out gimp to make your own cards
>>
>Buy descent 2nd ed
>After transport/import fees and taxes it comes to €140
>Still only half of what the cheapest local jew resellers asks for
>Still a significant chunk of a salary
Living in non mainstream countries sucks.
>>
>>55015094
thanks for the tip anon, found a list of cards listing their abilities and quantities which is more than enough to make a rough but functional version. cheers.
>>
>>55015422
Happy to help, there's a lot of good stuff in the BGG file sections, sometimes requires a bit of sifting or translate tool, but helpful if you want to PnP your own editions.

Now if only I could find where everyone who made their own white box Glory to Rome got the files I'd be happy
>>
I'm not the only one who has to wipe down sleeved cards after a particular person in their group uses them because their unusually oily hands makes every other card stick to the ones they used even if they only held the card for a few seconds, right?
>>
>game based almost entirely around cards
>want to sleeve them to keep them in good shape
>sleeves are either too small or just large enough to make the cards no longer fit in the insert

Has anyone noticed that FFG sleeves are always long at the top? Apparently Mayday might be the sleeves that will fit the bill but literally no store near home carries them
>>
>>55016370
From the pastebin:

Card Sleeve References

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Card_Sleeve_Reference

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/102880/item/2042318#item2042318

And yes, I too find it annoying that some of the sleeves are long and the cards don't fit after being sleeved without having to carefully trim them all down by hand. Hopefully the links will help you find exactly what you need. I know CSI, Miniatures Market, and a couple other places carry a fair number of different sleeves.
>>
>>55005829
I actually like Ticket to Ride, and he does sound just generally new, but that is a bad situation to be in. Usually someone should pick up if their suggestion isn't being well received. No good can come from making someone do something they don't want to do.
>>
>>55015323
Eastern Europe?
>>
>>55009118
>tfw you stop fapping for a quick conversation about ghostbuster scenarios

>>55011703
Face saving. Especially with such an embarassing title. Could've been something vanilla like "busty bitch gets fucked hard" but it had to be both "little sister" and "creampie" fetish porn.
>>
>>55019070
>Not pretending that's the GB scenario you wanted to discuss.
Dude was obviously low test.
>>
>>55016370
FFG sleeves are purposely cut long; the idea being they top edge isn't anywhere close to being exposed and more protected. Also if you're doing Mayday get the magnum/premium line, the regular ones split like crazy just putting cards into the sleeves.
>>
>>55020905
I have never gad a Mayday standard sleeve split on me.
>>
>>55021052
You been lucky, their standards are well known for being cheap/splitting/manufacturing irregularities. Literally just bought a pack of french tarot from them at Gencon, had 8 split sleeving For Sale and another 3 the first time I shuffled the deck. The upside is they have wonderful service and replace any packs that are defects
>>
>>55021202
I've never had them split on me either, but I do tend to find a defective sleeve or two in each pack that has a noticeable build up of plastic on a spot near the top. Usually there's an extra sleeve or two in the pack though.
>>
>>55022553
Yeah I think they just use a manufacturer who's cheaper so you see more variance than some of the higher priced sleeves. The actual Mayday people are really quite good though, even with the shady past, and seeing their new Crokinole boards in the flesh last week they seem to have figured out their problems with that one too.
>>
So we've seen pretty much everything in the TI4 box now except the political agenda cards, and I think, overall, I'm pretty happy with the revisions. A couple races got nerfs that seem unnecessary, but I've been wrong before.

I'm a very little bit disappointed in the racial techs, they're a more conservative than the more ridiculous Shattered Ascension ones I've become acclimated to.
>>
>>55005015
bump
>>
>>55022625
I need to find money to get myself a copy
>>
File: facebook_event_139043683200754.jpg (74KB, 720x411px) Image search: [Google]
facebook_event_139043683200754.jpg
74KB, 720x411px
Hey /bgg/

I was given Colt Express recently and it looks like a ok "crazy" programming game.
I decided to look up if they have any expansions and I see there are two off them out.
Both of them look really bad. Am I missing something?
So here is my question, has anyone here ad any experience with the expansions for Colt Express, are as bad as I think?
Also does anyone here like this game?
>>
>>55024775
It's fun; I definitely find it a better programming alternative to something like Robo Rally, which can be good but frustrates a lot of people. Dragon & Flagon might be better, I really enjoyed testing that one last week, but it required a lot more focus than Colt Express does (it felt like you had to be on the ball the entire 45 min). Haven't gotten a chance to play with Marshalls/Prisoners expansion but Horses & Stagecoach are fine, it's not amazing it's just more of the same as base Colt Express. Nothing that's massively changing, and honestly you could teach with that expansion right from the start without difficulty, it's not going to kill you to have it or not.
>>
>>55024775
Have you seen Lords of Xidit. Definately my favorite programming game.
>>
Tabletop Simulator. Can 2 players hotseat on one PC if we're playing with others online?
>>
>>55026895
Should be alright as long as player picker isn't locked.
>>
File: aHFoS_md.jpg (177KB, 358x500px) Image search: [Google]
aHFoS_md.jpg
177KB, 358x500px
>>55022625
>I'm a very little bit disappointed in the racial techs, they're a more conservative than the more ridiculous Shattered Ascension ones I've become acclimated to.

Pfffttt! That's easy to fix. Just start adding the special powers cards from Cosmic Encounter. How hard can the balancing issues be? ;)

I'm stoked! I just got notification that BGG will be shipping 'A Handful of Stars' soon. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it will be a 'Sci-fi Few Acres of Snow' without the latter's balance / flaw issue. Mythtopia is supposed to be very good, and this implements that same rule set with more polish.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197320/handful-stars
>>
So I just preordered Twilight Imperium 4 from my FLGS Ive got at least 3 other people willing to give it a go and if they like it we can probably play like once every 2 months.

Is it worth it /bgg/? Its still a lot of money for that and while it seems to be a fun game with lots of replay value im still hesitant on it.
>>
>>55027466
As long as you don't end up hating it for some reason, I'd say six plays a year is more than enough to justify it.
>>
>People always calling bullshit on kickstarter, pre-order culture, and the rising price of games

>TI4 is announced and people are cutting off their left nut to pre-order a copy

Thank you, you are doing us a great service by showing companies they can keep getting away with taking advantage of us.
>>
>>55027945
I think the thing is the TI is proven to be good while games on KS are a crapshoot
>>
>>55028416
am
nd full of exclusive content.
>>
>>55028416
See I don't think you even need the argument of "good" on this one, we're talking about a 20yr old game with a small but strong following, getting a new edition 12 years out from the last one. That's nothing out of the norm, and the pre-sales will be very good, but peanuts (in terms of units sold not $ spent) compared to something like a new X-wing wave. TI4 won't outsell Splendor, or Pandemic Legacy; it will sell lots of copies to fans, and the refresh will expand it's audience but it's really nothing to freak out about for any reason.

>>55027945
ANA is going to hit people hard on prices whenever they have something popular, it's what FFG did, it's why the bankers left Petersen in charge. This is just a P500 restock that's been waiting a long ass time, and won't have an open ended fulfillment date, we know when it's coming and what's in the box already. Don't get worked up about it, life's too short to complain about plastic spaceships that other people want to pay good money to play with.
>>
>>55027945
People are retarded.

Just look at Steev and his inability to understand any game where you don't autisticly negotiate terms for 2 hours between turns.
>>
>>55029415
>implying STEEV isn't a massive fan of Reservoir Dogs the board game
Clearly you've never really talked to the guy he just requiress the opportunity to stab/shoot/bludgeon the person in the next seat in his gaming
>>
>>55022625
I am sorry, have we seen Action Cards? Where?
>>
>>55029522
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pziT_7fKJsQWDvyDOBsybKbq
>>
>>55022553
>>55022578
My opinion on this:

fuck Mayday. I've bought them for the longest time because where I am they used to be the only option for sleeving Euro-size cards. Every pack - every pack - the sleeves are cut uneven on both lengths, with some being cut so narrow that they end up bending the cards. They changed their sizes somewhere around when Dominon: hinterlands came out for absolutely no reason at all, adding like 3 mm on heigth and 1 mm on width and making half of my Dominion non-shuffable with the other half. (I shuffle them together anyway, I am not quite enough OCD to have less fun for that reason, but the difference is noticeable when glancing at the deck)

Their other sizes are mostly good, it's only the euro that they always fuck up.

Nowadays even here in pizzastan there are other options for that card size, only not as cheap, but I will be glad to never buy another euro-size Mayday pack all my life.
>>
>>55029586
>>55029522
Hadn't seen the cards yet, but there was a good unboxing put up post-Gencon
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxdJPP5N6MU

>>55029609
>pizzastan
Nice. I honestly think Mayday just had leadership who had no fucking clue what they were doing for a few years. Look at their website what do they sell? Sleeves in every size for cheap, wood replacement pieces for other games, and imports of Korean stuff. They tried doing Crokinole boards, and put out an incredibly shitty product, had to apologize/refund a lot of people, and then cancelled the line for 3-5 years while trying to find a manufacturer who didn't sell them garbage.

They likely did the same with sleeves, and while they seem to be better on the whole now (and their magnums are better for sure) you're getting a discount product made in a country where discount means shoddy QA, not just lower price. It's definitely a case of caveat emptor, but they're still the go to place for the oddest card sizes.

Luckily as you said, there's plenty of other brands for mainstream card types (euro/mini/full tarot/square/etc)
>>
>>55029522
>>55029793
Sorry, that link got cut off for some reason.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pziT_7fKJsQWDvyDOBsybKbqoYF6UThiv-39-TIgRWs/edit
>>
>>55029838
Many thanks
Hey, what do you think of Arborec being able to produce on the move and getting the discount from Sarwen Tools with GFs?
>>
>>55029980
Potentially pretty damn scary ability to maintain a deathball fleet as long as it doesn't lose. Certainly making me more excited to give them a shot as a super high aggression race.
>>
File: 1502744571013.gif (83KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1502744571013.gif
83KB, 720x720px
So I got my copy of Dark Souls from my FLGS yesterday (didn't kickstart it).
Anybody else have a bunch of damaged components? Two main bosses are broken from the base - Is that grounds for a replacement (figures only, not the whole box)?
>>
>>55031871
I once contacted Z-man over a single missing meeple from Carcassonne so I wouldn't have to go buy a whole bag so someone could play red. If you've got damaged/missing pieces it's always worth contacting.
>>
>>55031871
I've only sent away for components 4 times, and each time the response has been amazing.
And in the case of Battlecon Devastation, they sent me a new copy entirely.
>>
>>55031871
It can't hurt. The worst they can do is say no and then you're no worse off than you are now
>>
>>55031871
did they only have 1?

I'd take it back. Supporting your FLGS doesn't mean taking it up the ass with no lube.
>>
>>54956335
Apex Theropod. I still don't understand entirely how that game works. Pathogenesis is a distant second, which is a shame, because it's actually fun.
>>
>>55027092
Let us know how it is. The box art has me interested
>>
File: 1450358280185.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1450358280185.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
>haven't gone through BGG auctions in a while
>I'll just look at the first page of recents
Someone got Gears of War for $30.... Fuck why did I stop looking at these daily?
>>
>>55032394
Pretty sure if something is faulty in the game it's not your FLGS responsibility to replace - but with the manufacturer.
Unfortunately I really want to play the game and the next shipment at any local store is in November (and that's on pre-order).
>>
Finally scored Shards of the Throne for TI3 this weekend. My wife and I have a yearly tradition with our best friends (another couple) where we rent a cabin and go to the rennaisance festival every year. They're bringing a couple of their friends this time and so I'm thinking it's a great time to bust out the game and play for the first time. What are some of the optional rules/variants you guys like? Especially some that you could recommend to a group of new players.
>>
>>55033368
Flagships are a must, always. Relics are pretty nice.
Most of the rest I don't think you need too much for a first time group.
I'd avoid the distant suns / domain counters, facilities, mercenaries, twilight council, and mines.
>>
>>55032844
Will do - it's probably a week or two out still, but I'm excited. I'm also itching to play another game of 'The Arrival' by Wallace as well.
>>
>>55033267
Shit was broken in the box. The box you bought from your FLGS. How is that not FLGS's responsibility?

I mean you could at least go in, show them what's up and try to get some bucks knocked off. Because if you return (which obviously you don't WANT to but should still be ABLE to do if you choose) they're either going to ship it back to the manufacturer, throw it on the discount bin or add a little superglue and re-shrinkwrap it again.
>>
>>55033973
i agree with this guy. they have no obligation to do shit, but it will be really hard for them to say "tough luck, fuck off" to your face if you bring this to them in person. try to go when its crowded in the store, really add to the social pressure. i know flgss near me would be way more likely to do something to help someone out if there are a few regulars around to watch their reaction when you point out the issue
>>
>>55033973
>How is that not FLGS's responsibility?
You're ignoring the fact the game was likely printed in China, brought stateside via container ship, unloaded and loaded onto a shipping truck, housed by a distributor who then shipped it via ups/fedex/etc to the LGS, who then got it. There's a lot of steps wherein the product could've been damaged well before the retailer got it. Add in most game inserts these days do an excellent job of keeping the game safe during shipping, so the most likely time for a component to be damaged is while it's being packed initially or when it's in a giant cube o' games on a pallet. If the box wasn't dented that means the LGS owner wasn't kicking it around the store, he's not the culprit.

Is it a returnable item? Sure (depending on the store, most have policies written out somewhere), but game publishers are just as responsible for the safe delivery/completeness of their product as anyone else. Also if your store is re-shrinking games they don't deserve an F, assuming you're talking about friendly and not fuckwits.

>>55033267
Depends on the store policies, but usually either the retailer or the publisher will make good if you ask them to, since both want to keep your business. Just depends on whether you feel like dealing with a person or an email form, and whether your LGS is run by decent shopkeepers or cave trolls.
>>
I've been on a spree recently and bought quite a few roleplaying games - Palladium Fantasy RPG (with two supplemental guides), the RIFTS corebook, D&D corebook, Trail of Cthulhu, Baker Street RPG and Finnish "Age of the Tempest".

I just haven't been able to play any of them yet since it's tough to find roleplayers in this country. fml

I'm kind of curious about something... would anyone happen to know any issues of Rifter that contain RIFTS scenarios set in the Nordic countries? Or whether a supplemental RIFTS book contains any information on what happened to them after the rifts opened? I live in Finland and would love to come up with a scenario set here.
>>
I'm close to buying Xia and its expansion. Anyone able to convince me otherwise?
>>
>>55034434
This thread's for board games, not RPG's
>>
>>55036855
...Oh crap. That's what I get for not reading titles correctly.
>>
>>55036775
Have fun my dude!
>>
>>55033670
>Relics are pretty nice.
I thought for sure a veteran like you would have hated another floating source of VP increasing the points you can gain in a single round bubble victoru
>>
>>55033670
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm fairly new to this general. Have you played a lot of TI3?
>>
Sell me on TI4 - is it better than Eclipse?
Also what is the hype about Arkham horror the card game - finished dunwith campaign and from fluff perspective it's a total disaster - didn't think any of my choices mad ANY impact at all. I took and keep the Necronomicon - what is my reward at the end of the campaign?
>>
>>55037992
TI3 isn't really comparable to Eclipse, in my opinion. They share a theme but are pretty different. I've only played one game of each, though. Eclipse plays quicker with a faster setup. More focus on combat whereas TI3 is about diplomacy (but obviously has combat). I've not played the fourth edition. Maybe someone else can weigh in.
>>
File: oh boy.jpg (228KB, 2048x1447px) Image search: [Google]
oh boy.jpg
228KB, 2048x1447px
>LGS is doing a 10x10 challenge starting in September
how fucked am I /bgg/?

John Company is pre-ordered and 1849 is my next purchase along with 1889 so I can learn how to play 18xx
>>
>>55037939
It's something else people will fight over.
Increase the victory cap you're playing to by a few points to compensate and the bubble victory isnt any more of a problem with relics.

>>55037973
More than most here, if I had to guess.
>>
>>55038122
I'd argue it is, because it's not about how much time you spend building up to that point, it's about how many VPs you can pull out of your ass in a single round.
>>55037992
>>55038020
Eclipse has Euro wooden guys on a box elements, most of the early-mid game is allocating resources to build an engine to maximize the number of actions you can take in a turn.
>>
>>55038080
>Triumph & Tragedy
Absolutely fantastic game.

>Civilization (Avalon Hill)
Never played it, but I've heard stories about it going on for 7+ hours.

Is the LGS going to be hosting these games?
>>
>>55038163
I figure if whether you won with eight points of objectives, or eight points of objectives and three relics, everyone's had just as much playtime and someone was due to win that round or the next anyways. Maybe I'm just less bothered by "bubble" wins than some people. The SA rule awarding trade goods to the VP leader each round based on their lead certainly helps.
>>
>>55038206
not sure if each game needs to be played at my LGS or not (I do track my plays on BGG) but I'm the only person to have written a list so far

I could get away with using the abridged game mode with AH Civ that only takes ~4 hours, as it will be literally impossible to host a full game during the opening hours

I definitely need to get more T&T games happening, my one full 3P game involved a Atomic victory by the USSR and there was no DoWs at all
>>
>>55011703
Its saving face. You still have deniability, while if you just say you fucked up you admit you watch that type of porn
>>
>>55038206
>Never played it, but I've heard stories about it going on for 7+ hours.
Civ is the kind of game you set aside a day for, although if you put a time limit on trades you can speed it up.
>>
>>55038080
But the FFG civ is better
>>
Just managed to buy a KEMET from a guy for about 55 euros.
Any experiences with it? I've been eyeing this for a time now, and quite excited to play it - read good reviews everywhere
>>
>>55037973
STEEV is our go-to for combative games, Minifig is here for a punching bag, JFH is a generalist, anon does a great job bitching about dice/KS/autism, comic sans is for triggering people with rec charts (Minifig doubles for this too)
>>
>>55038947
Nice, thanks for the explanation.
>>
File: Board Games (8-24-2017).png (5MB, 1866x2488px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games (8-24-2017).png
5MB, 1866x2488px
Need to do less collecting and more playing.
>>
>>55038917
It's a good game, but can become meta-dependent. Getting Slaves off the bat can be a backbreaking good play, to the point where one group I play with it houserule swapped its cost with the +1 Pyramid level between turns power.
>>
>>55039029
With some of those fine examples there, I wouldn't do any playing or "collecting" if I were you.
>>
>>55039029
I know that feeling anon; I only came back from Indy with ~5 games (half of which were expansions) and I still felt guilty about putting more stuff on the shelf when there's others that haven't been played often enough.

>>55039339
It's a bit casual but he's got some definite keepers in there. Also Jaipur for when you have to play a game with a random autist on a maglev train
>>
File: 1452544975405.jpg (17KB, 281x246px) Image search: [Google]
1452544975405.jpg
17KB, 281x246px
>>55039029
>owning cards against humanity
>>
>>55038793
How and why?
>>
Listening to a podcast about board games and here's an argument one of them just used to justify CAH:
>It's ok to make fun of white people because they've had power. They've killed people over spices so it's ok to make fun of how they can't dance.
>Transgenders have been marginalized and so it's not ok to make fun of them
>>
>>55039609
I instantly disregard anything that mentions internationality or feminism.

CAH is simply a bad game.
>>
>>55039609
If white people really do turn out to be nazis and go full race war they're gonna be awful sorry they made fun of the dancing.
>>
>>55033670
Are you against mines/facilities/mercs in general or just first game?
Do you use all the mentioned above if it is the latter? Do you mean voice of the council or political intrigue option when referring to "twilight council"?
My group tends to avoid mercs as trade III is rather lackluster doesn't add much quality compared to trade II. Same goes with political intrigue, I dont like the rock-scissor-paper mini game that overrides influence, which is already bad enough compared to resources.
>>
>>55039756
I wish I wasn't against mercs in general, specialized unique units are fun. But they're just more work and time than they ultimately end up adding to the game, and like you said, Trade II is better.
Mines and facilities I generally like once people have a grip on the game.
Agreed on political intrigue. It's thematically fun, but takes too much extra time and undermines the value of influence planets with a swingy and unpredictable minigame.
>>
>>55039609
I don't know why you think you're going to get any kind of decent discussion on 4chan of all places. But it doesn't matter, because CAH sucks no matter what your take. It's a sense of humor substitute for people who don't have one of their own. It's one step removed from just yelling pop cultural references.

If you want a CAH substitute, go for Word Whimsy or Superfight. Word Whimsy requires you to at least use a modicum of creativity to connect the phrases you get, while the fun in Superfight is explaining how your stupid superhero would still win anyway.
>>
>>55040539
>It's one step re4moved from just yelling "butts penis butts pussy"
Fixed that for you
>>
>>55039609
My take on it is that it's OK to make fun of everyone. Whi9te or black, cis or trans, hetero or gay, humor is humor. There's nothing harmful about it.
>>
>>55040539
>Superfight
You might as well play Blank Marry Kill, it's still trash. Say Anything, Dixit, Telestrations, Spit It Out, Concept are all better CAH party replacements
>>
NEW IMPROVED THRED
>>55040816

IMPROVED NEW THRED
>>55040816

THRED WEW LAD
>>55040816

>I know I'm early but yall keep fucking up the OP
>>
File: rage_sm.jpg (162KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
rage_sm.jpg
162KB, 650x800px
>>55040831
Driven to madness eh?
>>
>>55040865
Must be, dipshit keeps posting the thread 5-10 early and on one of the slowest boards
>>
File: 1457309421120.jpg (368KB, 840x700px) Image search: [Google]
1457309421120.jpg
368KB, 840x700px
>>55041056
Are you not clear that I posted early BECAUSE the dipshits keep posting early and somebody needed to fix the god damned pasta for next time?

Plus you know.
>>
>>55041167
Nah I'm just messin with you OP, been on vacation most of the last 2 weeks, so I sure as hell wasn't baking. Didn't even notice the OP in this thread til just now.
>>
>>55038793
Are we talking old or new Civ?
>>
File: Space 4x list.jpg (2MB, 1050x2314px) Image search: [Google]
Space 4x list.jpg
2MB, 1050x2314px
>>55037992
This might help a little...
>>
>>55042724
is there a 4x game good with 2 players?
>>
>>55036775
It's a good game. Full disclosure that it ain't for everyone with it's luck, but especially with the expansion it is a really fun space adventure with an actually good take on the sandbox style. I wish you luck on learning the rules. I want to say you should use the expansion right away because it just fixes so many fundamental things, but the expansion re-writes a good handful of rules which makes digging for rules require 2 books. Probably best to just get a core game outta the way first at a low famepoint count like 10 before adding the expansion.
>>
>>55042794
Despite it's flaws, Eclipse can be very enjoyable for 2 or 3 players. There won't be a lot of down time once everyone gets the hang of game, and you can plan your turn while watching what others do during their turns.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.