[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 371
Thread images: 30

File: Tarrasque.jpg (59KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
Tarrasque.jpg
59KB, 400x296px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>54762027

Has your party ever had to deal with a Tarrasque or some other kaiju-type monster?
>>
Largest creature they've ever fought was a spinosaurus from Tome of Beasts. They ran into a T-Rex running from one and had a Jurassic Park 3 homage battle with them.
>>
>>54771058
I once set my party up against The World's Largest Dwarf if that counts. It was just some guy. The beard was fake.
>>
>>54771222
My party did in fact meet the world's largest dwarf. He was 40 feet tall.
>>
>>54771058
The largest thing the party has pissed off was a deep sea eldritch horror the size of a cliff. The largest creatures they've fought were a Skeleton Titan just today (60ft tall) and a dragonlike creature a month ago (took up 9x9 square). They also fight alongside Kaiju, as during the latter fight, they had an Antimagic Wyvern the size of a house tanking attacks for them.

I run big encounters.
>>
>>54771241
Wouldn't that just be a giant with particularly broad shoulders and a barrel chest?
>>
>>54770917
>I've literally never had a combat take place in an area big enough for eldritch spear or spell sniper to ever be of use.

You're playing on a dry-erase map or with some other physical tool?

My group uses Maptool. It isn't at all unusual for battles to span hundreds of feat across.

My Gunsmith has the Sharpshooter feat and can fire at enemies up to 500 feet away, without disadvantage. Add a flying, giant, mechanical eagle mount... outdoor combat is great for me.

Less great indoors, but hey, everyone has weaknesses and strengths.
>>
>>54771287
No, he was actually a dwarf.
In my setting, dwarves don't ever stop growing, but they don't get too large before dying. That particular dwarf, however, was roughly 4000 years old because of reasons. So he got fairly large.
>>
Reposting from the last thread.

My DM is insisting that if a character dies (or you want to switch characters) that the new character is always level 1.

Would you guys play in a game like this? Can anyone play devil's advocate and help me understand my DM? Here's his justification in an email.

>>I think it's a variety of reasons. More than anything this feels right to me, the right balance between options and opportunity cost. It's described this way in the books, which always makes it more attractive to me, esp. when I'm not super experienced in the system. It also elegantly solves a lot of problems, like higher-level characters hand picking magic items (this is an incentive for players to switch spontaneously, which all-things-being-equal is not good because it is disruptive to the story line) and that it encourages builds that are only fun starting at higher levels (I admit this a personal gripe of mine).
>>I haven't found any rule that says you can't advance more than one level at a time. After enough adventures to bring a character from level 5 to level 6 a parallel level 1 character will advance to level 5. After enough adventures to bring a character from level 8 to level 10 a parallel level 1 character will advance to level 8. This doesn't seem game-breaking.
>>
I'm currently getting ready to start DMing a political intrigue game and wondering what you guys think makes interesting plot hooks.

Obviously backstabbing and misdirection will play a large part in it. I have 9 noble houses set up that all have their own goals/motives. But what else could I do? I want there to be moral ambiguity and to have a hard time choosing what to do.
>>
>>54771125
>t-rex
>running from a spinosaurus
Was it at least an adolescent male running from a fully grown female? An adult female t-rex should destroy a spinosaurus.
>>
>>54771058
Yeah, there was an artifact spreading undead-raising-miasma planted in a certain kingdom. The players took the direct approach of just destroying it right there, and the magical shockwave woke up the Big T who's been buried for aeons in that area. The fight wasn't too interesting except for the "oh shit Tarrasque!" factor, as in they just intercepted it, jumped on it and killed it, though not with ease.
>>
>>54771383
>I have 9 noble houses set up that all have their own goals/motives.

That seems like a lot of noble houses. I'd do 3 or 4. There should be other interest groups seperate from the Noble Houses too. A Blacksmith's Guild. The King's Wizards. The local Churches. Foreign interests too.
>>
Can someone post Wot4E rework?
>>
>>54771374
I can understand why some people would want new characters coming at 1st level (+- the survivors earned it / it needs to be hardcore), but I also strongly believe their opinion is fucking retarded and wrong. Such a mechanic is probably the least fun possible punishment for dying. I'd most likely quit the game, first because I can't stand the mechanic, and second because I'd expect the DM to have more rules/mechanics exactly opposite to what I find fun in D&D. Just a mismatch of mindsets.
>>
>>54771413
I have the campaign set in Neverwinter and based the nobles houses off the Neverwinter Nine. Each house controls a part of the cities infrastructure, i.e. one controls the standing army, while another controls the city/royal guard.

I'm planning on having plots happening even if the adventurers never get involved. Lots of moving parts behind the scenes and if the characters stumble upon something they might catch a hint that their are deeper things happening. I didn't want the world to be static or revolve around the characters.
>>
>Unearthed Arcana: More Pact Boons
What would you want to see in this?
>>
>>54771511
Anything not related to the Warlock because it's a shitty class, with bad fluff and an awful fanbase.

Seriously I'm more happy to have Drow, Aasimar, furfags or anything over the normal Warlock player. I know it's just my own hatred of the class, but then they always also ask for a buff or some kind of free benefit.
>>
>>54771566
>it's a shitty class, with bad fluff and an awful fanbase
ksy idiot
>>
>>54771511
I'd rather see more Patrons, but I'm sure there is room for new boons.

Pact of the Shield: Get special demon armor
Pact of the Cauldron: brew crazy shit in your cauldron.
Pact of the Telescope: I don't even know
>>
>>54771485
Yeah, he's really into this idea of the 'hardcore' nature of it. He initially had this whole ranking system and was promising high levels of character death. His concept was based around 'Actually Winning and Losing in D&D'. Initially it was going to be lots of solo adventures, with the players competing against each other in a kind of fantasy 'game show' format, something like Running Man or the Hunger Games.

We've ditched some of that already (people didn't like the solo stuff).
>>
>>54771639
boons require subsequent invocations to build up to, patrons are plentiful from the templates given
>>
>>54771601
>Completely depends on short rests to do anything
Even Monks and Battlemasters have things to do without a Short Rest
>Has spell slots that will only ever be used for combat
Gee, sure happy we have a Warlock over any other caster

>Fanbase
I googled "Warlock Character Ideas" and clicked the first 3 links. Here are the first 3 ideas from each link.

>Chef
>Wacky prankster gambler
>Character turned into a demon
>The Warlock is a god and his own patron
>Chef
>Immortal who was attacked by a GOO and became insane
>Fairy God Mother patron (This one is good)
>Son of the king and a nymph
>Geralt

These are the people I DM for at the game shop twice a week, you can understand why I have a sour opinion of it's fans. Then they either want magic weapons right away, demand I give out more spellscrolls and so on.

As for fluff, why couldn't making a pact with a creature be represented by Cleric, Paladin, Sorcerer or Wizard? Warlock fills a role that was already filled.
>>
>>54771397
In Tome of Beasts the Spinasaurus is much bigger then it should be. It's basically an all around improvement on the T-Rex in almost every way
>>
File: IMG_0361.jpg (102KB, 667x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0361.jpg
102KB, 667x667px
I'm trying to make a "pinnacle of physicality" style unarmed barbarian Primal Path- so please, tell me how retarded and broken it is- I'm not great at home brewing and need all the help I can get.

Level 3:
Brawler’s Skill
• You gain proficiency in Improvised weapons.
• You can roll a d6 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or weapon. This die changes as you gain levels, first to d8 at 5th, d10 at 11th, and finally d12 at 17th.
• When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with your bare hands, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn.

Level 6:
Crushing Strength
Such is the Brawler’s might that he does not merely grab his opponent- he lifts them physically into the air, tending them helpless before
• Whenever you make the grapple action, you may also Pin your opponent as a bonus action, making an opposed Athletics check. Upon success, they are restrained.

Furious Might
• When raging, your unarmed attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity.

Level 10:
World breaker
• You gain advantage on all strength based checks outside of rage.
• You ignore damage thresholds when damaging inanimate objects.

Level 14
Survivor
At 14th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.
>>
>>54771374
Ask him why he wants the party to babysit a level 1 character when they're level 15, or why this commoner that's adjacent to a fight suddenly grew five times more powerful the second the fight ended
>>
>>54771799
I should add on I don't inherently hate what the Warlock class is, I loved it in 3.5 and found it okay in 4e.

The 5e Warlock's just plain pointless however.
>>
>>54771799
>Even Monks and Battlemasters have things to do without a Short Rest
Eldritch Blast

>Has spell slots that will only ever be used for combat
Lol, it's the complete opposite, you have EB, you contribute even without spells.
>>
>>54771511
I'd like more at-will powers honestly. I've been having loads of fun with at-will Silent Image between fights. Gives him something to do without using those valuable spell slots. Even worked it into my backstory saying he worked at a theater as the special effects
>>
>>54771936
>Eldritch Blast
Is quite frankly not that great.

>Lol, it's the complete opposite, you have EB, you contribute even without spells.
Contribute isn't the same thing as being a decent class. One could argue a level 1 commoner can contribute to combat.

A Warlock at best has about +3-+5 average damage over a Sorcerer, caster Cleric or Evoker for most the game.... Except they all have a massive amount more spellslots.

If you want to get into levels 10+ then a Warlock is dealing good damage, sadly other casters are now at the point they can do ridiculous shit nearly all day long.

Also any martial does much more damage and in the case of Paladin and Ranger even carry a ton of utility effects.
>>
>>54772012
>>Eldritch Blast
>Is quite frankly not that great.
?
It's second only to Fighter for best ranged DPS in the whole game
>>
>>54771383
dull
>>
>>54772032
Ranger does straight better though? 1d8+DEX with +2 Attack and the ability to use Sharpshooter? Or Crossow Expert and Sharpshooter for 3d6+9+30 damage at level 5?

Not to mention Horde Breaker and later on Volley.

Also Rogues deal more damage, sadly they only do it to one target per turn but still more ranged damage.

Also anyone with extra attack can pick up Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter to deal way more damage then Warlock.
>>
>>54771266
Post stats? I could borrow that shit.
>>
>>54771397
T.Rex was about 14K lbs (conservative estimate, but a recent one) and spinosaurus was 14K-20K lbs.

So I betcha a spinosaurus could take a tyrannosaurus.
>>
>>54772080
>1d8+DEX with +2 Attack
In what world is that better than 1d10+CHA+Hex?
>>
>>54772127
To be fair, Ranger basically has their own hex with Hunters Mark
>>
>>54772127
>Sharpshooter
>Hunter's Mark
>Horde Breaker

Try harder.
>>
>>54771058
>Has your party ever had to deal with a Tarrasque or some other kaiju-type monster?

I've never actually run one as a DM, and I'm kinda intimidated by the idea, because I want to do it right, but also kinda disappointed in myself because I've been a ForeverDM for years and years now. Biggest thing they've fought is like a dragon or hydra.
>>
Am I right in assuming that the most optimal build for DPS if I wanted to play a fighter is 2 weapon fighting with the associated feat at level one? (I forget if I also get the +2 to a stat as well)
>>
>>54772215
>2 weapon fighting
Dual wielding is a meme, anon
>>
>>54771511

Elemental pacts with powerful djinns, efreeti, etc
>>
>>54772158
Spell Sniper with Hex is pretty fucking good, and Pact of the Tome and Pact of the Blade can be really good if you optimize them, and Pact of the Chain is a straight buffed version of "find familiar".
>>
>>54772387
That would be a patron, not a pact boon (blade/chain/tome)
>>
>>54772405
I really hate the boons that exist and their railroady line of invocations to make them not shit (or still shit) outside Tome which just makes them shitty wizards with eldritch blast. I think warlock desperately needs more boons but god do I hate all of the ones they have now.
>>
>>54771799
We literally JUST fucking talked about this in the last thread
Warlocks ARE NOT CASTER SUBSTITUTES
They are ROGUES that HAPPEN TO USE MAGIC
(consistent damage + consistent (resourceless) utility)
For fuck's sake, can we not have this conversation EVERY DAMN THREAD?
>>
>>54772437
I think you might just be retarded
>>
>>54772387
I was just thinking about that kind of Patron while I was on the way home tonight. Seems perfect for a return to the Lands of Fate...

Though I wonder, What is a better expression of the Sha'ir? A Warlock Patron or an Arcane Tradition?
>>
Can an Eldritch Blast "fire" from my mouth and the verbal component of it be "Recoom Boom!"?
>>
File: IMG_0356.jpg (169KB, 470x633px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0356.jpg
169KB, 470x633px
>>54771906
Anybody? I seriously need the help.
>>
>>54772477
ask your DM, not us
>>
>>54772215
>>54772250
To explain, Two Weapon Fighting is only really good for low levels. At higher levels you're gonna need that bonus action for other things your class gives you, at which point the other fighting styles are much more useful
>>
Looking for some solid 1DM1PC campaigns, doesn't matter if it's too railroady.
>>
>>54771374
I had new characters in 3.5 come in with same XP level as the party, but without any gear beyond masterwork shit. So a high level 3.5 fighter might come in with masterwork plate and longsword, but no magic.
>>
>>54772533
It's also good for Swashbucklers, but that's more that their "basically the Mobility feet" is good for two weapon fighting.
>>
File: recoomecard.jpg (253KB, 426x568px) Image search: [Google]
recoomecard.jpg
253KB, 426x568px
>>54772510
The name's Recoome. It rhymes with doom. And you'll be hurting...
...all...
...too...
...soon!
>>
>>54771374
To get around the "Don't want chosen magic items" thing, ask to just get gold instead. That way he can stroll into a wizards tower and the GM can decide what's in stock
>>
>>54771058
Sort of related. My group is about to play a dark sun game with revolving dms and I'm thinking of including a remote but fairly well populated city built in a vast graveyard of giants and monsters that have been dead for millennia. A society of preservers will be trying to reverse the mild defiler taint in the area will accidentally rejuvenate the mummified heart of the tarasque at the center of the city and over a few months its going to come back to life in a weakened state. Still strong enough to lay waste to a city made of bones, but not so strong that the party can't figure out how to re-kill it or that the sorcerer kings can't just flick it out of existence if they decide they give a shit.
Thoughts?
What should I give them to fight it, other than a powerful item? Should I place another big monster in a fighting pit in the city or in the surrounding countryside? Should they seek aide from the giants descended from the ones that put it down in the first place? Just have it stomp off into the desert and leave them hoping they never see it again? I dont imagine they'll get beyond levels 7-10 before they have to face it.
>>
>>54771639
Pact of the cauldron sounds delightfully flavorful, I'd love that.
>>
>>54772459
yeah all the lock lovers have that sort of desperate clinginess with their class. No counterarguments, just wailing and gnashing of teeth.
>>
>>54771906
>Brawler's Skill
Not broken, maybe tone is down to d4 (using lvl 3 monk as point of reference).
>Furious Might
For a class dependent on using it's fists, why is it only when they're raging that they're able to bypass resistance?
>World breaker
Free 24/7 advantage on STR is pretty powerful for a grapple build. You don't even need to expend a rage anymore for optimal grappling. Hard to say if it's overpowered though, but I think you could put something slightly more interesting here. Maybe some sort of bonus damage with improvised weapons?

>Survivor
Constant HP regen on a class with bonus action resistance is nuts. At level 20, that's 24 effective HP while your raging at the start of your turn. I'd tone it down or replace it entirely.

Otherwise I think the archetype is fine. I'm biased toward unarmed/grapple builds though.
>>
>>54772695
Why would anyone provide a counterargument to a post with no arguments in the first place?
>>
>>54772737
Is there any excuse for pact of the blade?
Are blade boosting invocations not mandatory in that case?
Is there any excuse for pact of the chain?
Is eldritch blast not mandatory?
Are eldritch blast boosting invocations not mandatory?
>>
>>54772546
This definitely could have worked in 3.5, especially with looting the previous character corpse, but 5e doesn't rely on magic items as much and in general the same concept probably won't work quite as well.
>>
>>54772494
I liked it, but I'm pretty shit at balance, so take with that what you will.
>>
>>54772796
>Is there any excuse for pact of the blade?
fun
>Are blade boosting invocations not mandatory in that case?
No.
>Is there any excuse for pact of the chain?
Only a person who knows literally nothing about how useful it is can say this
>Is eldritch blast not mandatory?
Technically no
>Are eldritch blast boosting invocations not mandatory?
Of course they're not
>>
>>54772866
I mean even pact of the tome could get find familiar, but they can't get the big invocation to "boost" it ever so slightly. Everyone else just gets find familiar anyway. Fun isn't an excuse when shit's just weaker than comparable other classes.
>>
>>54772796
>Is there any excuse for pact of the blade?
Flavor and fluff. Also works well with the Hexblade patron since that allows you to add your CHA to melee attacks (And I get the sense you primarily care about damage)
>Are blade boosting invocations not mandatory in that case?
No. Not mandatory. Do they help with damage? Sure. Are they mandatory for a player to have the character they want or have fun? Naaah.
>Is there any excuse for pact of the chain?
Flavor and fluff. Some people may want a little Imp familiar because they're playing a Tiefling trying to become a full borne demon. Others may want a sprite for playing a slightly loopy chick who thinks she's a giant Tinkerbell.
>Is eldritch blast not mandatory?
No, because damage isn't everything.
>Are eldritch blast boosting invocations not mandatory?
No, because damage isn't everything.

If all you're doing is killing things, Warlock may not be for you. If your campaign actually allows for politics, intrigue, exploration, treasure hunting, etc....a Warlock is a versatile, fun class.
>>
File: 1502144642616.png (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1502144642616.png
8KB, 300x300px
>make rogue thinking I'll be able to pick locks and shit
>everything is magically locked with riddles and puzzles
>>
>>54772900
I legit couldn't care less about damage, just not getting locked in to the premade class path which seems like all warlocks get aside from amazing fluff. You could also grab shillelagh and add CHA to attack rolls with added damage in a similar manner in pact of the tome.

Just take a wizard with a pact background. Just take an eldritch knight with a pact background. Maybe even multiclass the two.
>>
>>54772896
>Fun isn't an excuse when shit's just weaker than comparable other classes.
There it is
>>
>>54772924
Take mining tools and dig through the wall next to the doors.
>>
>>54772932
What premade class path?
>>
>>54772951
reminds me of that pasta about how the DM had huge adamantine doors the players couldn't break, so the players just removed the surrounding walls and took the doors back to town to sell.
>>
>>54772995
>Roll sorcerer
>Spooky great old one backstory
>Magic initiate: Warlock Eldritch Blast, X, Hex
>Give Spear/Blast/etc invocations as feats for variant ASI
>>
>>54772082
Ayy, what do you want in particular? I got the dragonoid from here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPDATES

It is the "Repeater," a Monstrosity that is very powerful. I decided to have it take up a 9x9 square because it's stats were not mentioned.

The Skeleton Titan is a gargantuan sized creature with 390 hp, 30 strength, and one single attack that deals 12d12+7 damage and has a +17 to hit.

The Antimagic Wyvern is a major plot character that comes from icy mountains. It takes up a 7x7 square. Ignoring the werehuman qualities I gave mine, the base creature I drafted is as follows:

Antimagic Wyvern, CR 23
Gargantuan Dragonoid, Chaotic Evil
512 hp (25d20+250)
AC 20
Speed: 40ft, Flight 80ft
Statline: 30 10 30 6 12 10
Saving Throws: +17 Con, +8 Wisdom
Skills: None
Damage Immunities: Cold, Force; non-legendary Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing Damage that isn't Adamantine (yes, it is immune to most magic weapons)
Senses: Darkvision 60ft
Languages: Understands Common, but does not speak

Features: Immune to all 6th level spells and lower. Has advantage on all other saving throws against magic and has resistance to magical damage.

Siege Monster: Double Damage to structures.

Multiattack: One Bite, Two Claws, and can use it's stinger against something behind it. All attacks are made with a +17 to hit. Bite deals 7d10+10 piercing, the claws 7d10+10 slashing, and the stinger deals 7d10+10 piercing and forces a DC 25 con save or take 14d6 poison damage and are poisoned for a minute (repeat saving throw at end of turn). Half damage otherwise.

Screech (recharges 5-6): DC 25 con save for everything within 60 ft. Deals 10d10 thunder damage and deafens for 1 minute (repeat saving throw at end of turn). Deals Half damage otherwise.
>>
>>54773022
The DM was a pansy. Here's how you really railroad.
>The walls are also adamantine.
>>
>>54772712
>Not broken, maybe tone is down to d4 (using lvl 3 monk as point of reference).
I upped from Monk because the Barbarian is more of a frontline fighter- do you think the d4 progression is competitive?

>For a class dependent on using it's fists, why is it only when they're raging that they're able to bypass resistance?
I was worried that I might have made this level overly powerful and figured this was a decent place to tamp down. I prefer it without rage, so if you think that's alright I'll change it to constant effect.

>Free 24/7 advantage on STR is pretty powerful for a grapple build. You don't even need to expend a rage anymore for optimal grappling. Hard to say if it's overpowered though, but I think you could put something slightly more interesting here. Maybe some sort of bonus damage with improvised weapons?
Honestly, I included improvised weapons not as a main feature, but so the Brawler could use his foes as weapons, either by using other enemies as weapons, or tearing someone's limbs off and using them as clubs. The Path is supposed to be a warrior so mighty and tough he doesn't need weapons or armor- he can just smash through all before him with pure might. BUT I could specify that the str advantage only applies to lifting/breaking things etc and give doubled encumberance, allowing the Brawler to carry and move even bigger foes. Not sure what else I'd do- nothing springs to mind.

>Constant HP regen on a class with bonus action resistance is nuts. At level 20, that's 24 effective HP while your raging at the start of your turn. I'd tone it down or replace it entirely.

Fair. Maybe make it an action or bonus action instead? That way it's a choice between more damage or survivability. I specifically wanted an ability focused on combat endurance- allowing the Brawler to outlast others. My other thought was the ability to use a reaction to make a damage roll against an attack, reducing the damage you take by your own damage.
>>
>>54771906
>Brawler's skill
Reduce the unarmed damage. You should not do more damage per hit than a monk. ESPECIALLY if you then give the archetype the bonus attack action from Martial Arts.

>Crushing Strength
I think it's balanced enough (not an expert on grappling), except that the level 6 feature for barbarians should be an exploration feature (see Totem Warrior).

>World Breaker
No problems here.

>Survivor
Same as the Battlemaster ability, but 4 levels earlier? I'm really not a fan of that. From a balance perspective, it's an acceptable ability when characters have access to 9th-level magic, not 7th-level.
If you must keep it, tone it way the fudge down. But I'd recommend swapping it for something else.
>>
>>54772215
At level one, yes. At level 5 and beyond, no. Two-weapon fighting doesn't scale with level because you only ever get one off-hand attack, so it's much better at the lowest levels when nobody has extra attacks. If you want the biggest amounts of single-target damage in the smallest time, I recommend a paladin with a big two-handed weapon, Great Weapon Master, and maybe a couple of levels of fighter for Action Surge.
>>
>>54772712
>I'm biased toward unarmed/grapple builds though.
You might find this interesting: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkYF7N05E-
>>
>>54773065
Cont.

-the idea being you knock their attack aside, overcoming their blow with sheer might.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions by the way.
>>
>>54773065
Different anon:
It's not about competitiveness. It's about having a higher unarmed damage progression than the monk, which you basically shouldn't.

The reaction idea is interesting, because it has parallels with the berserker's level 14 feature. I'm in favor of that change.
>>
>>54773035
I'm still not following you. What is the premade class path Warlocks have built in? If you're talking about Eldritch Blast and Hex, those are optional. You don't have to take those. At All. Ignore them, pick up a light crossbow, and play a disgraced academic who fell into his or her pact by accident and is only adventuring looking for a way to break it, only to get more and more distraught as their spells get more powerful.
>>
>>54773035
Good luck casting Disguise Self and Speak With Animals at will, and having either dozens of rituals or a fantastic scout.
I agree that the warlock has some choices pre-made for him (Eldritch Blast package), but that's not the entire class.
>>
>>54773143
I think what he's going for is that if you wanna be a melee warlock you pretty much have to use all your invocations on extra attack and such to remain useful compared to other melee classes. Yeah, I get it, it's not about being the best damage dealer at the table, but when you're high enough level your fucking cantrip will be doing more damage to more enemies then your magic weapon summoned from the bowels of hell, and that's just dumb to me.

Really, I just don't like that I have to sacrifice most of my invocations to make the melee any good when I could be using it to get Alter Self for free or being able to see in magic darkness.
>>
>>54773215
Do you have thoughts on this: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkSFaLyGB- ?
I'm not necessarily 100% happy with where it's at, but comments about the general concept and balance would be appreciated.
>>
>>54773132
Serious question to you and>>54773066
- why shouldn't a Barbarian have a higher damage progression? Monks are, as I understand it, Skirmishers, not frontline warriors, and Monks have a TON of neat tricks they can do with a punch, from Flurry to knock back to stunning. Doesn't the lack of utility make up for the marginally higher damage?

It does sound like I should reduce it from what you guys say, but it just seems weird to me.
>>
>>54773143
I just hate everything about the design, the weak-feat-tier boons, the hacky spam path for damage parity. I don't care about keeping up the DPS but I wouldn't allow it for anyone but the noobest of players who can't comprehend a complete class's play style. Most invocations are just shitty feats but they refuse to allow them back in 5E even though they designed themselves into a corner.

I think some of the patron abilities are pretty neat but adding spells is just something they do with every subclass and doesn't seem to benefit fucking anyone, least of all not-quite-caster warlocks. I think the warlock is a great class that should have probly been merged with Sorcerer or something to create some not-theoretical-magic superclass with some mix-and-match options to boot. You've already fucking got ability overlap between invocations and metamagics, why not just fix it?

>>54773187
Not-at-will animal talk is not a big loss and illusion wizard is like.... god tier among all classes anyway.
>>
>>54773241
Frontline warriors don't inherently need to do more damage than skirmishers. What they need is less mobility and more tankiness. Damage has little to do with it.
Like, I'm not sure why you even think frontliners need higher DPS.
In either case, I give again the main argument that you simply should not have higher damage with your fists than a monk, similar to how you shouldn't have more attacks than a fighter or stronger sneak attack than a rogue.
>>
>>54773049
>http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPD
Was really asking about all of them, but that's a handy thread.

Probably gonna use that skeleton titan sometime, thanks mate.

And I appreciate the writeup! Good stuff.
>>
>>54773244
I disagree with a lot of what you say about the warlock, but I also think merging the warlock and sorcerer into a single class would be interesting. Not anything I'd bother to homebrew, because there's literally no way to do it in a way that won't piss everybody off, but we do have too many "mage" character classes. (Even though the warlock in 5e is a rogue substitute, not a wizard substitute)

>>54773241
>>54773291
If anything, skirmishers should do MORE damage, because they use hit-and-run tactics.
>>
>>54773232
I like what it's going for, but it seems to just delete the Tome and Chain pacts as far as I can tell, and if not I don't agree with giving Bladelocks the option to chose one of those on top of what they have already.

This here is also straight overpowered
>You may learn invocations that require knowledge of eldritch blast. If you do, their effects apply whenever you attack with your eldritch weapon.

So you're saying my 2d6+DEX eldrich greatsword can ALSO get Agonizing Blast, making it a 2d6+DEX+CHA on top of a hex? At level 1?
>>
>>54773291
I tend to think of skirmishers as having more tricks or doing higher damage under specific circumstances while frontline warriors do more consistent damage.

But fair enough- I'll reduce it. Be a bit retarded if I wasn't willing to take the advice I asked for.
>>
>>54773049
What CR is the Skeleton Titan, btw?
>>
>>54773313
Glad I could spread the joy of giant monster mayhem! I just used the Skeleton Titan today in an encounter where the party faced it and exactly 1000 skeletons all at once! It was great fun.
>>
>>54773351
The philosophy is that the warlock pact boon should be a utility thing, not a combat thing. And I think not being able to use eldritch blast is an acceptable tradeoff for getting a slightly improved pact of the blade.

As for invocations:
1. You can't get invocations at level 1.
2. Dex + Cha won't be THAT high until relatively high levels; a typical level 1 character with this option will have a Dex + Cha of 4, or 5 in some cases. 2d6+5 at level 1 seems reasonable when you compare the survivability (or lack thereof) to a fighter doing 2d6+3.
3. By the time Dex + Cha becomes very high, fighters have 3 attacks, paladins are smiting often, and rogues hit like a truck - see the last page for comparisons.

Does that do anything to sway your opinion on balance? I'm not married to the concepts, but I'd rather have a bit of back-and-forth before making any changes.

>>54773388
You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Your heart is in the right place, unlike too many homebrewers. Let's see which type I am...
>>
>>54773329
well wizards took sorcerer's deal with not-prepared spells and bards became godly powerful and interesting and still versatile so literally nothing was left of that husk of a class anyway. Sorcerers in older editions were always sort of mystery powered anyway so pacts wouldn't be a huge difference in theme.
>Well I have dragon blood deep in my ancestry
>but now there's Dragonborns so no you don't
>Well I can cast without preparing
>Nobody prepares spells anymore, some of them can even do magic AT WILL
>Fuck it, demons did it.
Fits perfectly. I agree that warlocks could be cool but they're contradictions in the 5e design.
>We don't rely on feats in 5E
>We just call them boons/invocations for this one class that still heavily relies on bonus feats
>And there's less combo capacity since they mostly just extend the first one

I think having a single feat-based class isn't even awful but I hate the concept of just stacking them vertically. Also sorcerer's need a home and there's some extra versatility that could be salvaged from combining them.
>>
>>54773389
It certainly isn't proper, but the CR is about 17. Also, it's attack should deal 12d12+10 damage, have a +17 to hit, and 30ft. reach. My bad. Beware of it's crits!
>>
DMs, do you ever feel bad when one of your players gets fucked by an unlucky crit?
What about when you are getting ridiculous rolls and crit your players like 6 times in one encounter?
How often do you fudge rolls in your players favour when shit goes sour?
>>
>>54773464
>Beware of it's crits!
>it is crits
>>
File: IMG_0362.jpg (101KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0362.jpg
101KB, 850x1100px
Right, here's what I've got post criticism, any more suggestions?

Level 3:
Brawler’s Skill
• You gain proficiency in Improvised weapons.
• You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or weapon. This die changes as you gain levels, first to d6 at 5th, d8 at 11th, and finally d10 at 17th.
• When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with your bare hands, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn.

Level 6:
Crushing Strength
Such is the Brawler’s might that he does not merely grab his opponent- he lifts them physically into the air, tending them helpless before
• Whenever you make the grapple action, you may also Pin your opponent as a bonus action, making an opposed Athletics check. Upon success, they are restrained.

Furious Might
• Your unarmed attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity.

Level 10:
World breaker
• You gain advantage on all strength based checks outside of rage while lifting, pushing, pulling, or breaking objects, and your carrying capacity is doubled.:
• You ignore damage thresholds when damaging inanimate objects.

Level 14
Overwhelming Power
As a reaction you may, whenever an enemy damages you, reduce that damage by rolling your own unarmed or weapon damage and subtracting the result from their damage total.
>>
So Storm King's Thunder expects a party of 4 level 5 players to beat an encounter with 3 Frost Giants and two winter wolves. That encounter is worth like 26200 XP adjusted. A deadly encounter for 4 Lvl 5s is only 4400xp. Is this doable?
>>
>>54773482

I don't know about you, but Skeleton Titans are both crits and tits in my book.
>>
>>54773482
>it is crits
Damn, I'm tired. Still, beware its crits! 24d12+10 is no joke!
>>
File: Combat Scenery.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Combat Scenery.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
So, an anon posted this a few days ago and I fell in love with it. Already used a table for one of my combats since then.

Anyone want to help build a few more tables for other locations like: City street, Tavern / Building, Jungle, Temple, etc. etc.?
>>
File: wind-scar-o.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
wind-scar-o.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>54773232
>You may learn invocations that require knowledge of eldritch blast. If you do, their effects apply whenever you attack with your eldritch weapon.

>ELDRITCH SPEAR
>Prerequisite: eldritch blast cantrip
>When you cast eldritch blast, its range is 300 feel.
>>
File: 1492832977529.png (1MB, 1485x1892px) Image search: [Google]
1492832977529.png
1MB, 1485x1892px
My buddy is introducing his 9-year-old sister to the game and I'm kind of lost. I normally put a lot of work into my characters and their stories, but I don't see the point if it's probably going to be a sillier sort of game.

What sort of character would you build for a campaign you know won't be too serious?
>>
>>54773436
Especially since "infernal" and "fey" are sorcerer bloodlines in various games/homebrews anyway, there's no reason not to combine them (mechanically) with the corresponding pacts. The player can fluff it as a bloodline or a pact.
How about something like:

Sorcerer
*d8 hit points, light armor
*Charisma-based casting
*Eldritch Blast as a class feature (we still want the fight mechanics to be different from the wizard)
*Full spellcasting progression (or maybe half?)
*Every level or 2 or 3, select an ability from a list that affects your spellcasting, anything from casting a spell at two targets once/short rest (maybe a particular spell?) to casting a particular low-leve spell or cantrip you know without expending slots (but at the lowest level)
*Archetypes are power sources - fey, demonic, draconic (fluffable as pact with ancient dragon), chaos (fluffable as pact with primordial), far realm, etc. This will free the warlock from ALWAYS having their personal quests related to their patron, but still make it an option for players who like that narrative
*Archetypes obviously add spells to the available spell list, including sometimes giving access to spells strongly associated with a particular class

Thoughts?
>>
File: Reinhardt-victory-pose-3-flex.png (703KB, 800x981px) Image search: [Google]
Reinhardt-victory-pose-3-flex.png
703KB, 800x981px
>>54773527
Make a character that will work well with a child. Don't make them broody, make them loud, fun loving, and a friend to all

Basically, make Reinhardt
>>
>>54773464
Jesus fuck, that's nasty.

What are its ability scores, movement, and AC?

As well as, y'know, everything else relevant haha.

I'm totally using this as a boss monster sometime.
>>
>>54773491
I'd make the level 14 feature always use your unarmed damage progression, because it's more flavorful - you shrug off the damage due to your badassitude. Either way, by that point your damage die is d8 and you have +5 to strength anyway, so it won't make a huge difference.
I like that you make the strength checks not affect grappling without mentioning grappling by name. Positive design!
Overall, looks good - but, again, I'm not an expert on grappling.
>>
>>54773522
OK, no need to be anal. Obviously that one would not be allowed RAI. I'll make a note in the document.
>However, you may not increase the range or reach of your weapons using these options.

>>54773553
>Honor! Justice!
>>
>>54773542
I think full spellcasting progression should be an option in some subclass but they need to just turn some of the invocationfeats into something that limits spell slots or something. I don't know how SPs would fit into any of it though. Maybe turn the per-rest abilities of patron stuff into a SP cost. Maybe make some invocations cost some set of spell slots so the more you go into say bladelocksorc feats the less spellcasting you get out of the class.
>>
>>54773602
>you may not increase the range or reach of your weapons using these options
Why not just say you can apply Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast to your pact weapon attacks?
>>
>>54773603
Sorcery points were a design mistake in my opinion. I purposely left them out. Spell slots are a much better resource because they're already there and you may not need them for combat.
Speaking of melee options, the best solution would probably be an invocation/whatever that just uses whatever properties your class-feature-eldritch-blast has to attack with a summoned weapon.
>>
>>54773522
>>54773623
Just make Eldritch Spear affect only Thrown flagged weapons. A literal spear that you can throw 300ft, then knock them back 10 more feet.
>>
>>54773519
>>54773519
Sure, I could try throwing some ideas in.

City:

1. Loose cobblestones: street (but not sidewalks or porches) is difficult terrain. Requires a passive acrobatics skill of at least 11 to not have a 50% chance to trip and fall prone for every 5ft of movement.

2. Dung piles: the smell of horseshit is distracting. All creatures that can smell roll a DC10 Con save or be poisoned for the first round of combat. Replace with plague corpses or similar as needed.

3. Runaway animal: horse enters the battlefield, trampling anything in its path.

That's all I can think of now, but it's a start.
>>
>>54772123
>implying the body structure of a spinosaurus at all lends itself to fight a tyrannosaurus rex
>implying the jaw of the tyrannosaurus rex isn't a massive boon
>implying a tyrannosaurus rex wouldn't on average be more experienced fighting other dinosaurs while a spinosaurus has been eating some fish with its spindly fish eating adapted jaws
>>
>>54773623
In case future options come out that modify EB (although they probably wouldn't). Also, in general, I believe ability phrasing should be as generic as possible.

>>54773655
Interesting idea.
>However, you may not increase the range or reach of weapon melee attacks using these options.
>>
>>54771058
I'm preparing to run Curse of Strahd.

Anything you wished you'd known before you ran the module? Anything you think that would make your life as a DM better when you ran it?
>>
>>54773688
So are you saying that Eldritch Spear already does that? Making non-melee attacks should be... fine?
>>
>>54773712
Eldritch Spear wouldn't give you the ability to make a non-melee attack with a weapon that doesn't have the ranged or thrown properties.
Unless we start talking about improvised thrown weapons...
Fuck it. Simplicity (and original design intent) say no eldritch spear. Allowing it would step on Eldritch Marksman's toes anyway.
>However, you may not increase the range or reach of your weapons using these options.
>>
>>54773638
What did you do about metamagics, or to make up for the loss of sorc points? That sounds interesting.
>>
>>54773553
Reinhardt is the basis for my next character. Should be a good time.
>>
>>54773557
I really should stat it out more:

Skeleton Titan
Gargantuan Undead, Neutral Evil
HP: 420 (24d20+168)
AC 17 (Nautral Armor)
Statline: 30 10 24 5 10 5
Saves: Dex +7, Con +14, Wis +7
Immunity: Poison
Vulnerability: Bludgeoning
Senses: Darkvision 120ft
Languages: None

Unavoidable Destruction: The Skeleton Titan has advantage on attack rolls.

Seige Monster: The Skeleton Titan deals double damage to structures.

Attack: Giant Club, +17 to hit. Deals 12d12+10 damage.

That should do it!
>>
>>54773527
Play a Halfling for starters, a very short one. Much shorter then her character.

Unless she wants to be a short race, in which case play a very big one.
>>
>>54773762
If you can't use your proficiency on an attack, you shouldn't be able to eldritch it up generally.... But then you've got the pact weapon ALWAYS being proficient, which I always thought could be interesting if you had creative interpretations of "weapon."

Also turning the pact weapon summon into a bonus action boosts the throwable power too way more than RAW bladelock's action.
>Throw+Summon back
I think it should totally be an option somewhere because it's fucking cool but I agree it does not fit into that homebrew's setup.
>>
>>54772215
Wield a polearm with PAM GWM and Sentinel
>>
>>54773813
Also combining those two things I just realized playing Eldritch Captain America would be fucking awesome.
>>
>>54773803
I almost forgot! It's movement is 60ft.
>>
>>54773803
Bless you friendo.
>>
>>54773841
May it reign terror in another game. I created it on a whim to give my single-target damage dealers something useful to do while the AoE burst people fought the 1000 skeletons (exactly 1000 skeletons).
>>
>>54773770
Nothing. But I kept the concept of invocations, except they should apply more specifically to the spells on your spell list, or your eldritch blast.
Maybe Pact Boon should be kept - both for some utility, and so invocations could boost them.

So warlock, but with full casting, and with a sorcerer spell list, and with flavorful archetypes that can be fluffed as either bloodlines or pacts or exposure or anything, really, and with some invocations that duplicate metamagic at the cost of extra spell slots.

>>54773813
So if we give up on spear, do you think the document is sound?
Re-link: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkSFaLyGB-
>>
>>54773866
Heh, nice.

I'm considering giving it a multiattack with one club, one stomp. Thoughts?
>>
>>54773789
How are you building him?
>>
>>54773867
I think the Vanguard stuff is pretty solid, 5th level seems weird just cause everything else is standardized to 6th isn't it? I think giving a Dex-based attack/damage might get super cheesey if you combine like a greatsword w/ rogue multiclass though.
>>
>>54773519

>>54773666
I love those! I'd want to work on the severity of em for my personal taste, but I love the direction.

4. Small child runs into the fray chasing a runaway cat / pet.

5. Basket of (fruits, chairs, barrel of beer, whatever) spills out into a 10ft cone, causing difficult terrain or potentially knocking a player prone vs. a DC10 Athletics check

6. Guards step in attempting to detain ALL parties involved.
>>
What would be the best way of making an urban druid?
>>
>>54773919
A rogue still wouldn't be able to sneak attack with a greatsword, because it's not a finesse weapon. Same reason monks don't get "finesse" to unarmed strikes. No cheese potential here.
>>
>>54773879
Hmm, here's an idea: What if it still only has one attack, but has a "trample" ability and can walk through the spaces of Large or smaller creatures, force them to make a DC 15 dexterity saving throw or take 6d6 bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone?
>>
>>54773947
Sewer druid, rats & mold. Maybe get your DM to approve some Land based bonuses, thats only like 8 spells. Maybe replace Stride with that wall-walking on cut-stone or something for epic parkour.
>>
>>54773955
I like that! If they make the save it just walks around them/they dodge the leg bones, no problems.
>>
>>54771906
Trash for all the usual reasons. Yes, I will keep repeating these as long as people keep doing it wrong.

>Scaling unarmed damage
There's a flat difference between a weapon and your unarmed damage, so you need a flat benefit for your unarmed damage to be balanced, not scaling.
>Grapple action
Not an action, but just terminology.
>Do a contest then do another contest as a bonus action.
Just slows down the game. Ditch the extra roll.
>Furious Might
Unnecessary. No other barbarian path gets "bypass magic resistance with your attacks" either. Pick something else.
>World Breaker
Actually not awful.
>Survivor. On a barbarian. Earlier than the champion
No.
>>54772451
>For fuck's sake, can we not have this conversation EVERY DAMN THREAD?
No. What do you really expect?

>>54772932
>not getting locked in to the premade class path
>I just want to be different
>>54773035
But proving you have no fucking clue what you're doing.
>>54773215
>I just don't like that I have to sacrifice most of my invocations
It takes two invocations by level 12 to nearly have equivalent at-will melee as a paladin. If you dipped 1 level in fighter, you even get the fighting style too. That's one invocation equivalent to agonizing blast and a second invocation equivalent to voice of the chain master or book fo ancient secrets. So it's the same number of invocations as a tome+EB, with a higher level requirement. But that's too fucking much for you. Boo hoo. I'll agree that it's too weak and/or plain, but it's not too costly.

>>54773241
Barbarians shouldn't have a damage progression at all. That's what Rage does. They don't need to steal the monk's thing as well.

>>54773232
The general concept is dumb and the balance is screwed. Two level dip for Dex greatswords and +Cha to melee damage. It breaks early game and doesn't fix late game.
>>54773388
>But fair enough- I'll reduce it
Bless your doubles heart.
>>
>>54774055
Bypassing magic resistance with attacks is necessary because other barbarians get magic weapons.
Other than that, I don't really disagree with the rest of your commentary.

>What do you really expect?
I expect people to finally understand the warlock and stop repeating stale memes about it. But I guess that's too much to hope fore.

>The general concept is dumb and the balance is screwed. Two level dip for Dex greatswords and +Cha to melee damage. It breaks early game and doesn't fix late game.
1. Why is the concept dumb?
2. Why is dex greatsword +dex +cha broken? What build could abuse it?
>>
>>54773950
Yeah, I'd have to think harder on it but it still smells off being able to in-all-but-name finesse any weapon type. Plus you'll still have the lifedrinker CHA bonus in there somewhere or is that replaced with the agonizing-on-weapon effect? Dex+2xCHA from Lifedrinker+Agonizing on hit would be a bit much.
>>
>>54774074
Why can't an unarmed character get magic weapons? Or hell, pay 100gp and get silver plated gloves?

On monks it at least makes sense because of Ki manipulation.
>>
>>54774055
>two warlocks in party
>they're either completely the same in combat or one massively outperforms the other
I can't see any upside to this class design.
>>
Has there ever been an official ruling on using the Familiar Quasit or Imp from the MM when you cast Find Familiar as a Chain Warlock? It seems like they were specifically intended to be the options used by mages that gain them as familiars.
>>
>>54774113
They were pretty much designed for that in older editions, now it's not an option. Is there a need for a ruling? Tomelocks can't get them either.

Frankly sprites seem like they'd destroy the quasit/imp options.
>>
>>54774077
>in-all-but-name finesse
That's exactly the point, though. If it's not called "finesse," it's not finesse. At best, it lets a class attack with its defensive stats, but other than the rogue, there's no class that could make much use of this (most other classes require more than one stat); and the rogue can't use it while sneak attacking, making this a non-starter.
Lifedrinker no longer exists, at least effectively, because it has "Pact of the Blade" as a prereq, and "Pact of the Blade" is no longer a thing. You can't double-up on charisma using this homebrew.
I appreciate the troubleshooting, by the way - you might very well find something I missed.
>>
>>54774055
I'm unsure of flat unarmed damage, mostly because of monks as my example for unarmed- if so, I dunno, 1d8 sound good?

Roll-less pinning sounds kinda overly powerful, are you sure that's okay?

As for furious might- the brawlers spirit strikes with every blow? I dunno, I just don't want the Brawler to have to wear armor or use weapons.

Agreed on Survivor, what do you think of its replacement?
>>
>>54774128
1. Chain warlocks are able to choose quasits, imps, and pseudodragons as their familiars when they cast find familiar.

2. The MM has additional rules written about bonuses granted when an Imp, Quasit, or Pseudodragon is a familiar.

3. When a Chain Warlock chooses one of those three, they gain the familiar variant of the monster that's detailed in the MM since they are the familiar variant of the monster.

Seems clear cut to me.
>>
Warlock is where my dreams go to die
Fey warlock is horribly unexplained in 5e to the point were anybody new the the games would have 0 idea what they are
Fiend warlock is pretty ok not bad not great either
GOO warlock just feels useless
Pact of the chain is a scout god (to bad druid does it better a level earlier, then agian when does druid not do it better)
Pact of the tome is a lot of utility but still feals useless compared to if you just played a fucking wizard (with feats)
Pact of the blade is actually viable what a amazing thing that out of the 3 concepts the worst and most basic one makes it into fun to play territory
Every time i want to play a warlock i get stuck because i want to have fun in and out of combat and have a class backing my idea but there is 0 point in 5e warlocks are just worst wizards unless you play pact of the blade
Plus in your average game of 3-4 other players besides you, the dm just does not have enough time to spend making the backstory interesting and you get lead down the path of either Rebellious teen warlock (im edgy and dont like getting power from the thing i get power from)
Or completely domesticated demon worshiping faggot (just a bad idea)
>>
>>54774022
Oh yeah, if they make the save, then I'd say they "dodge" it's legs. Maybe the damage can be tweaked to be more scary, though it should be decent with the whole prone thing.
>>
>>54773883
Mechanically, he's just a fighter with the great weapon fighting style. He'll likely utilize the Champion archetype once he's level 3. I'm looking to get some plate armor as soon as I can.

Role-playing wise, I'm playing as an older dude who's looking to get back into adventuring after being retired for 20+ years. He's a bit eccentric and trying to recapture the glory days of his youth. Nothing grimdark---just genuinely trying to do some good.
>>
>>54774225
As usual, heed the Mearls guy on this http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/
>>
>>54774233
Not that I disagree with most of this stuff but what's unexplained about the Fey? Literal fairy tale shit.
>>
>>54774271
Thats my issue with it though is that in 5e thats all it is while in earlier editions they had way more depth but in 5e they feel so tacked on
As this weird thing taken out of actual medieval Europe and thrown into a game with fucking dragons and a literal shadow realm
>>
>>54773491
>This die changes as you gain levels, first to d6 at 5th, d8 at 11th, and finally d10 at 17th.
When will it end?
>>54773602
>Obviously that one would not be allowed RAI.
What, no. If you make a shitty homebrew, you should at least let people have fun with it.
>>54774074
>Bypassing magic resistance with attacks is necessary because other barbarians get magic weapons.
Not as a class feature.

>>54774074
>1. Why is the concept dumb?
Does nothing for a half-orc warlock. It strictly supports a Dex/Cha build only.
Does nothing for high level warlock melee balance. Still end up dealing 2d6+10 damage for two attacks at level 20.
Screws low level warlock melee balance. The warlock needs to deal no more damage than a fighter, paladin, or barbarian in melee.
Their version of ranged combat would be making one attack with a simple ranged weapon. It basically trades eldritch blast for one of the other pact boons. I just don't like this.

>>54774220
>restrained sounds kinda powerful
I don't think you can balance the restrained condition by counting on a barbarian to fail an athletics contest. If restrained is okay at all, it's okay all the time. I mean you have to balance it with the action cost. Bonus action seems okay to me.
>what do you think of its replacement?
I like it. You might even look for the finished Ancestral Guardian path and have the reaction also deal some damage to the attacker.
>>
>>54774220
>Roll-less pinning sounds kinda overly powerful, are you sure that's okay?
No.

>>54774225
No. As >>54774270 points out, the familiars in the PHB are the ones you should be using.
>>
>>54771222
>>54771241
"[Dwarfcountry]'s Largest Citizen, Dave" was a recurring character in a campaign I played in.
Fuckin' loved Dave.
>>
>>54774284
well you can blame 4E for that, I never liked the concept but it's an up and coming theme in plenty of the teen-fantasy literature nowadays. Still they are notorious for making one-sided deals like the fiends. Why is warlock even a thing again when a pact with a devil is a Bad Idea?
>>
>>54773022
>playing an Alchemist Artificer
>infinite acid bottles from my stupid pouch
>burn through the ceiling of the ancient crypt, bypassing the rest of the dungeon entirely
>>
Is there any homebrew of an arcane bloodline for sorcerers?
>>
>>54774328
That is the question i ask my self everytime i look at the class
Devil deals or demon deals 100% bad ideas (also edgy)
Fey deals (i guess it depends but i still have trouble figuring out what the individual fey stand for) seem like druid pacts on the seelie side and on the unseelie side is just like here is some spooky stuff woo
and then GOO's can never work well if you attempt to actually have your player interact with one just make things subtle or not so subtle to influence the plans it needs done
and thats all the cool in warlock bad ideas and even worse mechanics
>>
File: medicalboot.jpg (67KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
medicalboot.jpg
67KB, 450x300px
so many weeks back there was some autistic argument about boots here and whether it's possible to craft something that would be both sturdy enough to resist caltrop penetration but also allow you to walk
one guy was talking about sliding plates and another guy was like reeee that doesn't make sense, if nothing flexes you can't walk

well i tore a tendon in my leg and foot recently and when i was finally able to walk again they put me in this piece of shit
it's solid, non-flexing plastic and rubber on the bottom with a slight curve
you can walk in it just fine

so what i'm saying is everyone should go craft armored boots of caltrop ignoring
>>
>>54774290
>I don't think you can balance the restrained condition by counting on a barbarian to fail an athletics contest. If restrained is okay at all, it's okay all the time. I mean you have to balance it with the action cost. Bonus action seems okay to me.
Fair enough.

>I like it. You might even look for the finished Ancestral Guardian path and have the reaction also deal some damage to the attacker.
Maybe EITHER inflict Str bonus in damage on your attacker, or inflict any damage the overflows their damage minus yours? Posssibly both, but that seems a bit much.
>>
>>54774380
I like the GOO style but it's really not the same sort of Pact as the rest. Lost knowledge tied to some old god worshipping cult being a hazard to KNOW let alone use is a cool thing but it just doesn't fit any of the mechanics and there's literally no drawbacks to ANY of their abilities. It's all built into the pretty cool fluff but that could be done for literally any class.
>Barbarian makes a pact with some spirits
>Wizard spends years preparing an ironclad contract with a devil just to not get fucked
>Warlocks (non-INT/WIS-based) fumble into something unknowable/activelyhostile and everything turns out mediocre/okay
>>
>>54774344
likewise, fabricate and stone shape can lead to some serious shenanigans
>>
>>54774271
They're just Changeling: the Lost fey.
>>
>>54774425
the curved metal sole is one of those things I'd never have thought of myself but is incredibly obvious now I'm looking at it
>>
>>54774436
yeah its just that most dm's dont predict how cringy it can be to try to discuss somthing the entirety of a multi-verse away from you and all this other shit
im trying to find a good way to make a GOO warlock who would slowly set its plans into place
you know stuff like setting a profane book deep in a great library somewhere so that 50 years from now another follower can find it and use it
i think dreams is the typical way so i might do that
>>
>>54774487
And if you line the curved metal with standard treads you get past the awful slippage issue of the old hobnail stuff.
>>
I'm sad about Warlock.

If you can only do a couple things compared to other people's many things, the couple things you can do should be worth picking up. Instead it feels like the true casters get both the versatility and the power while Warlock's main draw is being simple to deal with.

At least it's a decent multiclass option I guess.
>>
>>54774425
I cast heat metal, now dance monkey! DANCE!
>>
File: rice clogs.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rice clogs.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>54774487
The Dutch were walking around in wooden shoes just fine, and the Japs fought wearing ridiculous wooden sandals. I don't know why anyone would think that, in a ridiculous fantasy world of fire-breathing dragons, super dwarf smiths, and magical materials, you couldn't make a functional solid-bottomed or sliding plate combat boot.

On that subject, how the fuck do rats damage someone wearing full plate?
>>
>>54774525
>tfw leather and cloth padding make ideal insulation and I don't even notice the boots got hot until after the spell ends
>>
Do you consider the Paladin Oath a game mechanic or a fluff piece? I have some ideas for characters that I think would work best with Paladin if they either didn't have their oaths or I at least reworked them specifically for the character.
>>
>>54774527
They climb into your armour and bite you from the inside! Aaaaa!
>>
>>54774527
what he's leaving out was that they were arguing for a fully enclosed steel boot that you could manage to put your foot in and walk around AND somehow NOT be affected by the spell Spiked Growth, NOT caltrops like this anon is saying.
>>
>>54774548
It's a fluff piece now because everything else about Paladin has been stripped away and ground into the dirt so anyone can play anything they fucking want with the power and toolkit of the Paladin class, just like all the Bards who just yell "fuck you" and the Wizards who hate to read books.
>>
>>54774425
but if you have two and they're both curved standing would be a pain in the ass, and it would hard to regain your footing when you fall over
>>
>>54774566
>being a fighting man in the D&D universe and not being able to kip up
>>
>>54774560
Aren't bards the wizards who hate to read books and yell "fuck you"?
>>
>>54774586
Wizards are too intelligent for books.
>>
>>54774558
Caltrops were definitely part of that argument. It went a lot of weird places, like walking through trees and how Spike Growth interacts with rafters.
>>
>>54774548
If you're playing vanilla 5e, then I'd say it's a game mechanic, in the same way a Cleric domain or Druid land or Wizard school is.

If I were your DM and you wanted to reskin it as something else I wouldn't stop you though. So I guess ask your DM.
>>
>>54774560
>Wizards who hate to read books

>yeah i'm playing a wizard
>but he's a real jokester and doesn't take anything seriously
>no, he didn't apprentice, he's self-taught
>yeah ha ha he hates reading and is totally not interested in solving magical puzzles or researching some ancient mystery or whatever
>um is it okay if i don't have a spellbook
>>
>>54774586
Bards fluff does not make that much sense to me
so sombody correct me if im wrong but
i think they collect anicent folk tales that because the world is magical are real or whatever, they also collect secrets (i think) basically they value very high magical things and say fuck it to reading or understanding the weave
Which is why they are a arcane caster with access to healing i assume they are able to recount the tale of how a great healer rescued a warrior in his gravest moment to their party members and it inspires them
>>
File: psion.jpg (99KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
psion.jpg
99KB, 400x550px
>>54774592
>TFW too intelligent to read books
>>
>>54774548
I personally don't allow evil characters in most of my games, so I don't allow Oathbreakers or anything like that unless your character actually has a roleplaying reason to break his oath down the line.

As for the normal Oaths, I would allow changing of the exact vows but would still expect them to be Paladin-y. Like the list of common Paladin vows in the SCAG.
>>
>>54774620
>is it okay if i dont have a spell book
>takes nothing seriously
Now the first one i have no problem assuming you have a good backup like tattooing when you find new spells or some shit is the most common one i have heard
But jesus christ making a wizard who is just like "fuck magic" just sounds like the gayest shit
>>
>>54774636
>this motherfucker floats into the bar and telekinetically slaps your healbitch's ass
what would you do
>>
File: Rheno.jpg (53KB, 950x264px) Image search: [Google]
Rheno.jpg
53KB, 950x264px
Can someone explain to me the mechanical difference between Conjure Animals and Conjure Woodland Beings? One is a level 3 spell and one is level 4 but they seem to read as the same spell?

Am I missing something important here? Why would I cast Woodland Beings when I could Conjure Animals and get the same spell with a lower level spell slot?
>>
>>54774656
Go to an AL bar that he's not allowed in.
>>
>>54774625
Lore bards are all about reading but they don't have the SAME training that a wizard or divine caster would have. They sort of reverse engineer what spells they know and make it work for them personally, like sorcerers used to. Tying it into performances was like a mnemonic to keep it straight in their head rather than learning how to formulate or actually comprehend it. They're the jack of all trades so they don't really see anything unreasonable about doing that to divine OR arcane spells and just sort of jury rig some spell that works out in the end.

Actually doing the tales/music/etcperformance parts with inspiration is just sort of their innate metamagic but not really a SPELL. Way back in the greek traditions music was taught as a science which had a direct connection to souls so this isn't that far fetched.
>>
File: 1384863266543.jpg (153KB, 900x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1384863266543.jpg
153KB, 900x1126px
>>54774625

Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense unless music is magic and producing music is the same as producing magic.

Then again, it's all pretty loose. Why is the weave equally available to woodland recluses, library-dwelling scholars and god-worshiping warriors who clearly can't all share the same methodology? If all you need to cast a spell is a certain series of motions, words and maybe some materials, why is knowledge of it restricted to a handful of people? Seems like anything without a material component would be really easy to replicate and teach to others.

Best not to think too much about it.
>>
>>54774681
Stuff like this makes me really happy these threads exist and then really sad that no fucking where in 5e do they explain what bards are based on so you can have a better experiance playing or running a game for one
>>
>>54774697
>The weave
Dont say my trigger anon
dont make me remeber about how the weave has all of a paragraph devoted to its depth over the course of 5 edtions and what must be over 100+ books by this point
>>
File: cr 2 or lower fey.png (10KB, 509x410px) Image search: [Google]
cr 2 or lower fey.png
10KB, 509x410px
>>54774665
Animals summons Beast-type creatures.
Woodland Beings summons Fey-type.
You can call a Clefairy instead of a Rattata.
>>
>>54774270
>>54774320
RAI, but not RAW. Twitter is far from an official errata. I'm keeping my magic resistance thank you very much.
>>
>>54774643
I wasn't really going for an evil character. I'm toying around with an unarmored brawler type that I think Oath of Redemption would be perfect for, except the character I have in mind cares more about having a good fair scrap, talking with his fists and a well groomed mustache than things like peace, innocence and patience as the Oath outlines.
>>
>>54774741
Make the redemption more of a fair go thing. Where he's willing to give people a chance to prove themselves and etc.
>>
>>54774713
>summon two Dryads
>have them create 20 Goodberries for the party
>each of them maintains Barkskin or Pass Without Trace and stays behind, hiding inside a fucking tree
>you've broken the concentration economy
>you can double this nonsense by casting it at 6th circle
>>
>>54774713
It's annoying because Conjure Animals are fey too, just in the form of beasts. Doesn't actually go into specifics if this counts for Favored Enemy (Fey) on that account but I'm going to assume No.
>>
>>54774758
The best part is when you DM takes the "random creatures" stance then the only other CR1 option is Quicklings which waaaaaaaaay stronger then CR1.
>>
>>54774425
>plastic
>>
>>54774797
Do you think this stops working if you make it out of metal instead? Do you think D&D doesn't have like 20 fucking plastic analogues, just without the injection molding capability?
>>
>>54774754
"I am a man with no armor and one weapon. If you can defeat me in single combat, truly the gods have vindicated you.

I shall provide you with a fair fight to prove your innocence. Ready yourself!"

Something like that'd be fun, I think.
>>
File: chaos star 2.png (282KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
chaos star 2.png
282KB, 900x900px
How much shit would I take if I tried to make a GOO Warlock whose patron is the Chaos Gods? The DM could punish me for falling too far out of favor of one of them so I'd need to balance my abilities and actions according to the values of each of the four.
>>
>>54774824
What are they?

Adamantine and Mithril are both explicitly metals.
>>
File: 1453795412820.jpg (151KB, 568x898px) Image search: [Google]
1453795412820.jpg
151KB, 568x898px
What are some of the best ways to engage in PvP while keeping it fun for everyone and not damaging the group dynamic?

My Battlemaster was having a heated argument with another party member so I hit him with a disarming strike, kicked his weapon away and threw mine to the side and assumed an unarmed fighting stance. I think that's one too many item interactions than I was allowed but the DM allowed it anyway for the sake of the scene. Then we duked it out and when he regained conciousness we were in the local tavern where I bought him a drink.
>>
>>54774906
so in other words
>dm pls create a entire fleshed out homebrew system around me
or
>dm pls port this thing over from black crusade
Wont work my dude
>>
>>54774911
Probly some sort of insect carapace would work, maybe a tree based resin would work. Various weird creature leathers should have similar properties. Alchemically/magically solidified Ooze?
>>
>>54774918
Challenge them to a game of cards.
>>
>>54774919
Jesus, dude. Do you actually need written out rules for everything you do? The DM can just decree that I haven't been "Tzeentch" enough and turn off a random cantrip for a while or something. Assuming the DM is a bit knowledgeable in regards to the Chaos Gods he could make those kinds of calls on the fly. Now if the DM doesn't know shit about the Chaos Gods, then it's not going to work out as well.
>>
>>54775060
That would be very off the cuff for how you seemingly expected the idea to work
Agian what the fuck do you mean by not being "tzeentch" enough do you not honor him during the game by collecting arcane secrets?
do you not honor khorne by just killing everything you come across?
Do you not honor nurgle by poisoning a towns well with disease to bring them your gods "gifts"
This is a terrible idea and it would require far to much work to insert into d&d even doing a rules lite version of it would be deciding which spells belong to which gods
and also just "turning off a cantrip" is the stupidest way to weridly insert the chaos gods into d&d please stop with this bad idea
>>
>>54774708
Isn't the weave forced to be vague because it just doesn't fit with how D&D rules have evolved over the years?
I could be remembering wrong, but as I recall in some of the earlier writings it was just stated that in theory anything and everything could have access to magic, but magic was inherently chaotic/destructive/unsafe, so the weave was created not to limit access or give access, but to make it so it wasn't potentially world ending on a daily basis.

Which fine, kind of works with the idea that anyone can multiclass into a mage, and FR books often featured segments such as "This is a chart to role on that can determine if your PC or NPC has access to a random spell or super power such as being able to parry magical spells."
But doesn't really work when you consider how novels would talk about how one had to be born with magic and how D&D tried more and more to say "No some people just aren't magical."
It didn't help that later definitions of the weave turned it from "safety to make sure the world doesn't blow up" to "magic is super rare and hard to use and it's basically training wheels."
>>
>>54775169
plus onto all this shit i enjoy making up shit in my games i enjoy adding in the weirdness that comes with being in a fantasy world with demons and devils and fey creature and dwarves and all that shit
But then you go over to the weave and its just "magic is here and yup"
does anything live in the weave? is it a place that can be visted? how does a god control it? do all other gods draw from it? do followers of the god of magic draw from it? is the weave both divine and arcane magic? does it overlay the material realm?

on the same topic as the weave is the far realm were i know its just a love craft "unexplainable' rip off but i still want to know more about it
>>
>>54775049
What are the stakes?
>>
File: yugiyamiv4kymicon.png (123KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
yugiyamiv4kymicon.png
123KB, 235x235px
>>54775222
The loser gets sent to the Shadow Realm.
>>
>>54774776
> take "random creatures" stance
but that's how the spell work anons. It's not a stance.
>>
Anyone got a .pdf of the D&D 5e starter set?
>>
>>54774730
the magic resist is a variant rule though. it's for when you bond with one of the creatures outside of the find familiar spell, not when you use find familiar to conjure one up. they even explicitly state the pseudodragon and the quasit can leave whenever they want, and that the imp can leave if you violate whatever agreement you had with it.

you don't get the magic resistance RAI or RAW.
>>
>>54771799
Most of these sound like things that should be Sorcerors or just shouldn't be. Also surprised chef was so popular.

That said, Warlock also works for Jedi and Magical Girl archetypes, or derivations thereof.

For instance, I had a character who was an orphaned street urchin who was gullible enough to believe the (admittedly relatable for her) sob story of an Aboleth. "Boohoo, the gods are big bullies who took my watery home and stuck a bunch of populated islands in it, they're meanies who don't care about anyone but themselves, help me dethrone them. I won't even make people have to leave I'll merely become their new, caring and just god. Here is some magic with which to do my thallasic biddi- er, help me bring about a new age of light"
So she became a mahou shoujo blithely carrying out the will of a mind-controlling tentacled lamprey abomination that should never be reasonably trusted, in the name of bringing about the kind of justice she felt was lacking when she was kicked out of her missing parents' home.

She actually succeeded in overthrowing a few tyrannical minor island gods and converting a simplistic indigenous hobgoblin populace to exoneration of Den'nis Qua-tlothcine Altrubsrear, Sovereign of the Primordial Sea, or as Aggie, unable to pronounce that lengthy jumble of consonants simplified it (to his chagrin), "Mr. Fish."

I suppose technically you could have designed the character as a cleric, but mechanically Warlock fit so much better, what with its heavy emphasis on subterfuge. Short rest Invisiblity and Detect Thoughts got us out of SO many out of combat jams, not to mention allowed me to accomplish so much more of my covert operations without the party becoming aware.

Also, crippling big enemies and giving the party a source of DPS, because the MAD bow fighter/moon druid multiclass and the "I want 24+ AC" paladin certainly weren't accomplishing that.

They're basically face rogues that cast Sneak and Force Longbow.
>>
How is everyone's campaigns going? What did you do and/or plan to do in your next session?

Any good recent stories?
>>
>>54775512
I've been DMing Lost Mines of Phandelver since March

help
>>
Browsing Roll20 games because I'm desperate. Naturally, I've found nothing but shit. One gem that stuck out to me:

>setting involves ONE TRUE GODDESS who KILLED ALL the other gods several hundred years ago
>the entire world is one nation ruled by some sort of queen-pope

I don't even see what the appeal of this kind of setting is. Woooo, the entire world is some human-dominated monoculture.

I don't even understand what you would do in that kind of game. Seems so limiting and boring that I just closed out entirely and stopped browsing at all.
>>
>>54775512
it's going really well and I hate it because I didn't previously like dungeons and dragons and I wanted to be validated in that.

i am playing a firbolg druid and my buddy is playing a human paladin. he brought me along to help find out why bodies were showing up in the canal, and we ended up following the trail to a set of document that revealed the corruption in this city reaches all the way to the aristocracy.

we then decided (immediately, and without very little discussion) that the solution is to burn down anything connected to the crime syndicate and cut down anyone who tries to stop us.

so i'm looking forward to that.
>>
>>54775482
It isn't a variant rule. The book never uses the term variant rule, It's a variant version of the Quasit, but it isn't a variant rule. It's the Quasit, Imp, and Pseudodragon variant that is used when a mage takes one as a familiar.
>>
>>54775595
>I don't even see what the appeal of this kind of setting is
Magical Realm
>>
>>54775597
*with very little discussion i should say, because we both had a moment where we decided we were sick of this nonsense and agreed the only solution was to burn it all down.
>>
>>54775259
Yep, most DM's still haven't realised how gamebreaking the spells are and let the Druid pick though.
>>
>>54775259
i remember reading the intent was that the player would pick the tier and the dm would choose the actual creatures. in which case you could never have the dryads spawn and just always give them the other thing.

that'd be rude though.
>>
>>54775512
Slowly. It's been three 3-4 hour sessions and so far 2 out of 4 PCs have met each other and teamed up. Hopefully after the next session our party will actually be formed and we can start doing stuff.

That isn't to say that I haven't been enjoying myself, but it is definitely a slow burn. I've also done literally nothing but roll like 12 charisma checks since the campaign started.
>>
>>54775639
>Quicklings
Only if the DM has Volo's Guide to Monsters handy, also they get 3 attacks per round and all attacks against them have Disadvantage.

Honestly CR1 Fey is currently the safest choice every time.
>>
>>54774918
Nah it's fine.

1 Action (attack, disarming strike)
1 Interact (the kick)
Dropping your own weapon is free.
Fighting stance is non-mechanical body language, i.e. talking ergo free

>>54775122
>>54774906
My only question is, considering they are literally gods, why are you not using Cleric, which handles god-human interactions already?

Tzeentch is Knowledge or Trickery.
Khorne is War, obviously.
Nurgle... eh, hard but Grave or Death might do with enough refluff. Nature also gets insect plague, so eh maybe.
Slaneesh is Trickery as well, though I remember seeing a very reasonable homebrew Lust domain a while back.

Seems so much easier.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 219x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 219x250px
My party is going to do a battle royale after our campaign is over. I could probably take most of our party: a swashbucker, ranged Assassin rogue, gunslinger and forest druid. But my main problem is a 7barbarian/3fighter who currently is an unstoppable monster resistant to anything but psychic damage.

I am currently a 10th level necromancy wizard. Any tips/spells that I can use to stop this monster? Any tips on dealing with a druid or long range stealthy Assassin?

I'm fucked if I don't have a plan for each of them
>>
>>54775602
What matters isn't the difference between Variant Rule and Variant Creature, it's that you're taking something outside the stat block for the creature. While it certainly does have the word "familiar" in its title, it is clearly a separate process to using the Find Familiar spell.

It's made most obvious by the fact a Variant Imp Familiar requires a contract, and a find familiar Imp does not; and that a Variant Familiar can leave at any time, while a find familiar cannot.

The variant rule is clearly intended to cover making willing contracts with potential familiars without using the find familiar spell. You could argue a Warlock could try to make such a contract with one of these creatures after summoning it via find familiar, but it is not guaranteed.
>>
>>54775706
turn yourself invisible and wait for his rage to run out.
>>
>>54775739
You can type all you want, but until you're just speaking in opinions. Sorry chief, but as far as RAW is considered, I can take my quasits MR as a chainlock/
>>
File: 2321198689_9d78e9d386.jpg (112KB, 368x500px) Image search: [Google]
2321198689_9d78e9d386.jpg
112KB, 368x500px
>>54775512
13 sessions in to an Eberron game coming from a long-term homebrew campaign and it is already the best game I've ever run or even been part of. Long-term plans have been revealed (Atropus is coming, evil artifacts can be used to hearken the end), we're getting party art commissioned once our selected artist is free, and we're streaming every session and people love it.
>>
>>54775701
Not what he wanted a werid system of "did i honor this god today?" which is gay and the reprucussion he wanted revovled entirely around him
it just did not make sense it port over 1% of the chaos gods and leave the rest and just figure out the rest with d&d mechanics that make no sense
"oh you did not poison the well with your diseased blood? you lose insect plague"
"Oh you did not save the magic books that were on fire and you instead honored khorne so you would not lose your weapon and armor profiencies? you lose identify"
Just a gay system all around that doesnt work for khorne mainly
And honoring the chaos gods is edgy and edge does not normally have a good place in your average d&d game
>>
File: 1402593578160.jpg (68KB, 900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1402593578160.jpg
68KB, 900x1000px
>>54775706
>>54775752

Turn invisible, wait for everyone else to die and throw a fireball at the last one standing? Or raise a skeleton or whatever it is you weirdos do?
>>
>>54775512
Last session we took up a mission to calming a rabblerouser down. Since they pay additional for bringing him back we decided to do it stealthy way, visited local apothecary and I (druid) used his shop to make a sleeping drug. I'm level 3, haven't declared my type of land (land druid) and not sure what to prepare for this mission (still can choose, since we ended on a night in tavern). Currently packing Fog, Hold/Charm Person, Entangle, Pass Without Trace and Cure Wounds.
Second session (at all) and so far so good. First one was introductory dungeon crawl (future party got kidnapped by a goddess to explore dungeon for amusement), now we're in country of traders with no rights, no documents.
>>
>>54775762
Are you baiting me with this "you're just typing words" nonsense or do you genuinely think "I am right and you are not" was a clever thing to post?
>>
>>54775706
Hit the barbarian with a hold person since he's unlikely to have persistent rage at that point. Hold person is about the scariest sentence you can say to a barbarain without it
>>
>>54775214
far realm is outer space.
the weave is not a place at all. It is, as the name suggests, woven into everything.

You cast spells by tugging on certain "strings" in the "tapestry." Technically speaking, anyone can do it. But also technically speaking everyone can code a superintelligent A.I. that outpaces all of humanity this very moment, but as evidenced by my post registering, Skynet has not arrived. Even with the best training, it takes a certain aptitude to wrap your mind around something so unintuitive. A few species understand individual threads instinctually, as do descendants of such (still no idea why Sorceror's don't cast through spell-likes). But for the most part you either have a head for programming or you don't.
>>
How would you do a stress system like in Darkest Dungeon?
>>
>>54775832
> like darkest dungeon
badly LOL

seriously though you could probably repurpose exhaustion for that, right? make it Mental State instead of whatever.

i think 5e has sanity rules somewhere in the DMG too.
>>
>>54775832
Maybe use a system similar to exhaustion, where after spending X amount of time in a dungeon everyone makes some kind of mental saving throw check and if they fail they suffer 1 level of stress. Stress can be reduced by resting like in Darkest Dungeon.
>>
What are the best control spells in 5e?

My vote goes to wall of force and watery sphere
>>
>>54775595
I mean... 1. Humans can have multiple cultures you know. Earth, for instance, is a setting with a lot of that. Even individual nations can have vastly different cultures in different areas, especially if they did not join by choice but were forced together by some conquering higher power. Who needs elves and dwarves?

2. if she's a malevolent tyrannical queenpope (50/50 chance she unified by force not diplomacy) then obviously you take her down and free the world.
>>
>>54775859
Everyone will desperately beg for bards to help keep them sane while deep exploring,
>>
The Barbarian in my game is insistent that he is still allowed to use multiattack when he uses the Charger feat. Is he right? As far as I can tell, he's not taking the attack action, he's taking the dash action, so multiattack shouldn't apply.

HE says that he gets to take the attack action with his bonus action when he uses charger. I say that the bonus action attack isn't actually the attack action, it's just a weird bonus action attack, like when you are dual wielding.
Which one of us is right?
>>
>>54775915
You are, you get one attack with your bonus action when you use the Charger feat
>>
>>54775915
You are right.
>>
>>54775915
They should have just kept the Full Attack name, fucking 'gotta be different' 5e rules
>>
>>54775832
Madness and Sanity, DMG. Start everyone with 10 Sanity, whenever they pass a Madness Save then their Sanity goes down 1 point. Each long rest at a nice camp gives +1 Sanity up until 10 and resting in town gives +3.

You can of course do things like drink alcohol and pray at a church for a temporary buff to Sanity. You get Proficiency in Sanity Saves to represent growing more resistant to mental horror as time goes on.

Use either then normal Madness tables or make your own.
>>
>>54775824
>A few species understand individual threads instinctually, as do descendants of such (still no idea why Sorceror's don't cast through spell-likes). But for the most part you either have a head for programming or you don't.

This is part of the issue with the weave and forgotten realms magic in general though. Retcons throughout the years have gone from between 1 and 2% of the non-caster population are inherently magical but just need something to help them trigger said hidden potential, to you can only access the arcane if it's strong in your blood and/or you have a master's degree in theoretical physics.
Likewise some of the older lore suggested that literally anyone could learn the basics of magic, because magic in itself like a science has simple fundamentals, just the more complex stuff actually takes study.
However, this is written from the perspective of Volo, who believes there is a conspiracy of archmages who are hellbent on keeping magic out of the hands of the common man as it might upset the power and influence mages have on people.

Though Grand History of the Realms actually kind of confirms the conspiracy might be true, with a section of Elminster ordering a top secret mission to destroy all the guns and murder the people who discovered how to make them, out of fear that such technology could not only revolutionize warfare but make large-scale battles no longer about who can afford the better wizard. Which is a pretty weak sauce explanation, but they had to do something because Forgotten Realms Adventures said by the time that 3e takes place guns would be common place in the setting.
>>
>>54775906

the wu-jen mystic stuff is pretty great. wall of wood in particular seems helpful.
>>
>>54775785
Mmmm. Maybe he just wanted to be punished for being a bad, bad girl.
>>
>>54775706
Dude just fly and hit him with save or sucks.

I'd be more afraid of that druid.
>>
>>54775706
>gunslinger
???
>>
>>54775948
Well the way I look at it in the context of 5E, anyone can do RITUAL magic. They can lay out the required formulae and materials and make magic work itself. Wizards and their spellbooks do something similar only they've got some sort of shorthand for all the formula bits inside their minds. Sorcerers are still bullshit powered innates, warlocks are powered by someone else's bullshit.
>>
>>54775832
nigga a sanity meter is literally in the DMG
>>
>>54775706
>Barbarian/Fighter
You could literally cast Fly and throw Firebolt and there's pretty much nothing he can do to match you.

>Assassin
Animate Objects, make 10 chairs get up and beat the shit out of him. He can only attack once per round so it's going to be much more effective to make tons of little creatures to attack him.

>Druid
Now there's the real issue. Play it defensively and keep your Counterspell and Dispel Magic handy because I have no doubt he'll conjure a boatload of creatures.
>>
Is it normal to have played for 100 hours and only be level 5
>>
>>54775948
I feel like untapped 1-2% and strong in blood/prodigy are pretty synonymous, anon.

one is an explanation of the other.
>>
>>54776028
65 hours in this game and I'm level 3.
>>
>>54775979
To put it lightly, the druid took several sessions before he realized (because somone told him) shape changing could be useful in a fight

I'm not worried, but not enough to disregard any tips on fighting him
>>
>>54776028
Roleplay heavy campaign I assume? The GM should be awarding you XP for RP stuff and accomplishing goals.
>>
If I am wielding a longsword and a shield and have multiattack, can I make two longsword attacks with my action and then an offhand attack with my shield using a bonus action? Obviously it would be an improvised weapon.
Asking RAW here, if there are any solid rulings on this.
>>
>>54776042
well at least he's not a moon druid
>>
>>54775785
Never said anything about some "Did I honor this god today" bullshit. You came up with that on your own. All I meant was that if I ever did anything particularly outlandish that might invoke the ire of one of them, that the DM could use that in some way. It was an incredibly loose idea that you seem to have run with in a way that you clearly dislike and proceeded to throw a fit.

At least >>54775701 is trying to engage in a constructive criticism.
>My only question is, considering they are literally gods, why are you not using Cleric, which handles god-human interactions already?
I'll admit that I'm not a huge DnD buff. I'm looking at playing a GOO Warlock and have been spitballing ideas for a while. The PHB mentions gods as possible patrons while saying a patron is not a god per se, so it seemed a bit grey-area to me.
Disease isn't Nurgle's only realm of influence. His power stems from despair, perseverance, survival, entropy & rebirth. The plague stuff is just what's played up in games.
>>
>>54776055
Very RP heavy, yes. He only gives us XP for combat, with the occasional 100xp for "cool points."
>>
>>54776070
Only if you have a feature that would allow you to make an attack as a bonus action
>>
>>54776070
You can't do two weapon fighting with a longsword and shield because those are not light weapons
>>
>>54776070
If you had the Dual-Wielder feat.... then maybe. I don't really know how Improvised Weapons interact with Dual-Wielding.

You 100% can't without the feat though because they're not light weapons.
>>
>>54776087
>>54776088
Ah, light weapons totally didn't cross my mind. Duh, thanks guys
>>
Why give XP for roleplay if talking to people and convincing them has nothing to do with combat advancement (extra hp, more damage, possibly higher ability scores, class features, spells, etc.)
>>
>>54776110
did you forget skills exist?

if you kill enough rats you become able to take more arrows to the chest. XP has always been a broad abstraction and unless you start using Elder Scrolls levelling it probably always will be.
>>
>>54776110
cause you also get proficiency which is literally all around ability.
>>
>>54776081
XP should be rewarded based on obstacles overcome.
Especially in a campaign where a significant portion of the obstacles are noncombat.

Tell you what, there's a UA in OP addressing just this sort of thing, talk to him about it. Might help.
>>
>>54776079
There isn't anything about gods being possible patrons what are you talking about.

Also, have you talked to your DM about this? Does it fit in his setting? Is he okay with inserting those gods?
>>
>>54776087
>>54776082
>>54776103
Would the Two Weapon Fighting feat count?
It's a onehanded (improvised) weapon.
>>
>playing 5e
>be ranger
>get bored of tracking arrows constantly
>DM and I discuss a way to make it balanced
>after every dungeon crawl, I need to fill my quiver with 100gp of arrows for base arrows, and then I just "have arrows" until the end of the next dungeon crawl/hex crawl.
>basically every time I stop in a town I pay an arrow tax
>everyone agrees this is fi-
>Wizard player is suddenly EXTREMELY FUCKING BUTTHURT ABOUT THIS
>NO THATS STUPID AMMO CONSERVATION IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF PLAYING A RANGED CHARACTER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>he bitches and whines so much that we give in
>but then the DM goes "well okay then Wizardfag, from now on you will need to manage your components pouch"
>makes him a little sheet where he can list his components and also account for storage space
>n-n-no this is different wizards dont really need to start accounting for components until level 6 spells
>no wizardfag, I insist
>fine lets let the fucking ranger do his fucking arrow tax
>everytime I go off to spend money on arrows he lets out the single more aggravated and longest sigh ever
>literally halts the game and everyone stops and stares at him
>nothing, it's fine, carry on
>refuses to help me in combat
>"anon you have infinite arrows you're fine :^)"
>getting frustrated, thinking of quitting
>>
>>54776244

>after six sessions of this shit, girl player at our table starts texting me about wizardfag's bullshit
>play it cool, act like it doesnt really bother me, don't want to come off as a whiner
>girl player is pretty cute for a bigger girl, but wizardfag had called "dibs" on her, plus I wasnt really looking for a relationship
>start hanging out with girl player lots
>we smash after a month or so of this
>wizardfag finds out because he
>literally
>drives past her house every single day and sees my car there, gets out of the car, walks to the side of the house
>and honestly
>truthfully
>catches us fucking
>literally bangs on her front door and barges in past her sister
>bursts into the room and tries to fight me
>Im not exactly strong but I've had aggression training(nurse) so I just sort of slap his hands away over and over while telling him to calm down
>wizardfag kicks me in the testicles, slaps girlplayer and then storms out
>Later that night, at home
>police show up at my door and have me come to the station
>he fucking called the cops and told them I fucking raped her
>clear up the mess after 12 hours of bullshit, they even interrogate her, bring in counsellors and shit to be like "you're safe you can tell us we'll put him away for ten years"
>fucking wizardfag
>Text gm about the drama
>dont ever text this fucking number again you fucking rapist
>wut
>wizardfag told everyone I fucking raped her
>including my parents, my boss, everyone
>takes weeks to sort out of the mess
>wizardfag keeps texting girlplayer the whole time, calling her a slut, a whore, used goods
>while also sending her dick pics for some reason and telling her she can date him if she licks his feet and apologizes for. and I quote "letting such a knavish man desecrate her sacred flower"
>>
>>54776252

>girlplayer and I have no real idea what to do, having trouble sorting out emotions, due to the fact that our relationship has been derailed with these retarded accusations
>she's also not super please about everyone acting like she's a fucking retard who doesn't understand she was totally getting raped
>eventually, manage to not get fired, manage to get the cops to believe my story, and we give everything over to wizardfag
>wizardfag's dad is a cop, which is why it took them so long to believe us and why they responded to a third party rape accusation
>press charges on wizardfag and hit him fucking hard
>managed to get an extremely light sentence in exchange for almost ruining my life because daddy is a cop
>like 200 hours of community service and a written apology and confession that he did in fact lie about the rape for no reason
>DM finally decides to forgive us and let us back into the group
>admits to me over a few beers that he didn't actually believe wizardfag, he just was super pissy that I fucked girlplayer because he had also called dibs on fucking playergirl and it was not "in the bro code" to something like that, but it was "in the bro code" to agree to testify against me if it had gone to trial that I had acted extremely aggressively to her in a sexual manner
>straight up just walk over to his board game shelf, grab my DnD books and two board games and walk out
>>
>>54776263
God, with what kind of retarded people are you playing with anon? calling dibs on a girl? sheesh.
>>
>>54776228
Shield bashing is never addressed as having any damage potential. Look at the feat "Shield Master" if you want shield bashing RAW
>>
>>54776244
>>54776252
>>54776263
>calling dibs on a chick
Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>54776263
>>54776252
>>54776244

Hmm no didn't happen
>>
>>54776263

>WHAT? I SAID I WAS FUCKING SORRY YOU FAGGOT HOLY SHIT
>girlplayer is now girlfriendplayer though, so that's nice
>she may be overweight, but the sex is fantastic, she's an amazing cook and this is the first time in my life a female has expressed some kind of attraction to me, acts like I'm some kind of chad(i am a chubby hairy manlet) and wants to smash all of the time
>so there's that
>fast forward six months and we're living together
>occasionally still have the rape accusation thing flare up, have to keep proof of my aquittal on my person at all times because people will occasionally try to throw me out of a business or deny my service
>thinking of moving to another state because of this shit
>haven't wanted to play a tabletop game in months because that was my first fucking group and my first ever fucking game of DnD and two months in my entire life was almost completely destroyed for no reason whatsoever.

So what was your first 5e experience like, 5eg? At least I got a gf from it, and experienced the joy of blowjobs.

Wizardfag actually managed to get completely shitstomped at a nightclub(he is fat, doesnt shower often and is socially repugnant, loves to do XD random highschooler shit even though he's 26 like shout NIGGER really loudly for no reason) because he walked to a group of black people and screamed WHAT'S UP MY NIGGERS really loudly at them, and when they got in his face he started screaming "my dad is a cop, my dad is a cop they'll fucking kill you jiggaboos" while reaching for his phone. They broke his nose in three places, his shoulder socket, collarbones and one of his kneecaps. I'm a buddhist so I try not to celebrate violence but it made me very, very happy.
>>
>>54776244
>>54776252
>>54776263
I'll take mildly entertaining greentexts that definitely never happened for 1000, Alex.
>>
>>54776300
Okay anon, now tell us what actually happened.
>>
>>54776300

My first DnD group was pretty good. The DM had never played a tabletop game before so we kind of tricked him into showering us with magic items. There's something about being level 5 and being so hopped up on magic items and having a +11 to your attack that you gangrape it with only martials that makes you smile.
>>
>>54776300
next time leave out this post, I half believed you until this post.
>>
>>54776330
Assuming you were playing 3.5, not even unreasonable. You needed it.
>>
>>54776300

my first tabletop game only had one problematic player who tried to rape someone we were supposed to rescue, but the DM put his foot down, looked him right in the eyes and said "Cut that shit out right now or you can fuck off." Dude never came back, bitched and moaned about SJWs on facebook an hour after the session ended and blocked us all. So..not as bad as you
>>
>>54776346

Nah, it was 5e. This was back in 2014. I'm pretty new to tabletop RPGs in general, but that DM was pretty cool and super gay, we ended up hooking up a bunch
>>
>>54776358
the DMG wasn't released until dec 9 of 2014, I find your story dubious at best.
>>
>chilling out with college friend
>overhear friend's roommate's friend talk about dnd (5e)
>agrees to DM for us two and some other people
>went to a college tabletop club week before
>seemed like an alright club when i was there playing board games
>decide to go to the club to recruit
>recruit two guys and a qt
>qt looks like she could be weird but i didnt judge
>have fun making characters
>one of the new males does gross shit (biting scab in public), but I look past that for now
>go to dining hall with party sans gross dude
>we all sit around cracking jokes and generally getting along
>crack joke about simulating brothel scenes with a fifty shades of gray simulator
>girl immediately starts to hyperventilate or something idk what she was doing
>quickly covers her face with paper towels
>thought she was sneezing but she wasn't
>"y'all are trash"
>literally gets up from the table with her food and moves to the adjacent table
>newly recruited apparently SJW guy gets up and joins her without a word
>this all happens in less than a minute after i make the joke, my friend and new DM friend just look eachother stunned
>eventually just leave the dining hall because of how weird the situation was
>later that day cancel the group with the girl, weird guy, and SJW
>>
>>54776219
>There isn't anything about gods being possible patrons what are you talking about.
"The Great Old One
Your patron is a mysterious entity whose nature is utterly foreign to the fabric of reality. It might come from the Far Realm, the space beyond reality, or it could be one of the elder gods known only in legends."

>Also, have you talked to your DM about this? Does it fit in his setting? Is he okay with inserting those gods?
No, everyone is getting together on Thursday so I'm still just spitballing ideas for where I want to go with my character. I do know our setting will be a "whatever we feel like importing from any setting" kind of thing.
>>
>>54776393
might have been homebrew magic items. Some groups were using those until the real ones came out.
>>
>>54776393

I know, that's why most of the magic items were bullshit like +7 swords, because, as someone who knew nothing about DnD, he wasn't aware that a +3 sword was fucking godlike and that a +7 sword is actually flat out game-breaking.

Since all he had was the Monster Manual and the PHB and the Starter Kit....
>>
>>54776401

>my friend is a super nice guy/pussy so he doesn't like the idea of cancelling the group at all
>"don't worry friend, you won't see them again often"
>still want to play dnd
>recruit only people we know and steer clear of the club
>finally get a good looking party
>meet up at ground floor of dorms for session 0 of sorts (first time any of us played so it was confusing) one day after cancelling last group
>while working on characters, SJW dude walks in
>recognizes me, friend, and DM and just looks at us
>the situation was so awkward/funny that my new group just eventually leaves and heads upstairs for someone's room
>die laughing in elevator ride
>>
>play my first session of dnd 5e
>we start with character creation
>rolling for stats

i detest doing this, it only causes a person to have really shitty stats or really good ones, there is generally no balance to this.

>we continue on down the line
>"ok time to choose your personality"
>"uh... what?"
>"your personality. You chose a scholar right? so you have to pick these 4 things to describe your character from now on"
>shows me the book, a generic list of character traits for generic backgrounds
>"can i choose my own? from other backgrounds? i sorta want my own personality"
>"no"

Should i be mad? This isn't our first time playing dnd at all, its just this system.
>>
>>54776491
Yes. Even if the rules somehow stated that you HAVE to take those personality traits, DM is still an asshat for enforcing what would be a shitty rule.

But the PH says on page 126 "A background contains suggested personal
characteristics based on your background. You can
pick characteristics, roll dice to determine
them randomly, or use the suggestions
as inspiration for characteristics of
your own creation." i.e. you can take whatever personality traits you want.

Not to mention you can make a custom background to do whatever you want anyway.
>>
>>54776491
Sounds like a jackarse. I tell my players they can roll, pick, or just do whatever, as long as they try to keep their character consistent.
>>
>>54776244
>>54776252
>>54776263
>>54776300
despite the fact that none of this ever happened I never understood why any guy would want to date a girl in their game group, there seems to be a million and one reasons it can go wrong and ruin the group
>>
>>54776564
because that's often times the only non familial woman that they talk to on a regular basis
>>
>>54772924
You don't even need to be a rogue to pick locks anymore
>>
File: uI39.books[1].jpg (71KB, 750x243px) Image search: [Google]
uI39.books[1].jpg
71KB, 750x243px
>>54776402
Lovecraft kind of Elder God. Proper noun.
As in Cthulhu and Hastur, not 'gods who are old.'

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_Gods
>>
>>54776419
>Since all he had was the Monster Manual
There are things in the monster manual with weapons. He could have looked at what they had for comparison.
Or just looked at the math.
>>
>>54776564

wherever opportunity knocks, man
>>
>>54776491
At least he didn't make you roll for personality traits. There's tables, it was possible.
>>
>>54776564
shared interests, similar culture.
>>
>>54776515
>>54776552
To be fair, I think that he thinks that we as a group have trouble getting into the mind of our characters, and RPing everything out.

We were getting much better at it, until our last campaign got cancelled and we started this one.

On a separate note, I pitched this at him, which I thought would be easy to RP.

Grognak the barbarian, a half-orc who speaks like a caveman and has a hatred of little people. Behind the scenes he is actually an aristocrat, but only speaks with his real voice and name to nobles. He was the adopted son of a politically powerful wizard, but he did not have the spark of magic in him. He learned science, astronomy, and the martial arts while living with his father, but this all stopped when the father was killed by unknown, but small sized, assassins while he was unable to help.
He now travels the countryside searching for vengeance, and to prove himself.

I thought that was enough personality to go by, so I wouldn't have to default to my own personality, and he would approve. Scholar was closer to what I wanted than noble, so I went with that.
>>
>>54776679
>acts retarded, but secret noble
I wouldn't even approve the character to begin with. He apparently is learned and, assuming martial arts means combat oriented and not purely meditative/traditional, yet he acts with abandon and acts like a moron?
>>
>>54776704
Not retarded, and not towards the group.
Mostly just because I thought it would fit the setting, that a half-orc would grab less attention in mostly human lands if they didn't dress and act like nobility.

Barbarian referred to the fact that he does not wear armor to fit in, so he looks like a barbarian.
>>
>>54776624
Be'Lakor it is, then.
>>
>>54776704
maybe in hiding?
>>
How much damage should an unarmed strike from a giant be? I know technically it would just be 1+STR but I really can't justify a giants punch only doing like 7 or 8 damage
>>
>>54775910
good
>>
>>54776861
if memory serves, you double dice for every size increase.

Assuming 1 doubles to 1d4, a Hill giant is Huge so 2d4+Str.
>>
>>54776861
Treat em like natural claw attacks but have them be bludgeoning. I say use the troll's 2d6+str
>>
>>54776741
There is a huge gap between noble and savage.
>speaks like a caveman
is annoying enough in any character, but then to flip it and say "but i'm actually smart XD" is a major red flag.
>>
>>54776906
just make him roll for it, I think a character who pretends to be a savage and everyone sort of panderingly accepts this without believing it is much stronger.
>Grug liketh yon art.
>Yes... well... Alright then.
>>
>>54776741
perhaps tone down the extremes on both ends?

"dumbs down his speech when around bigotted peasants" is fine, but caveman is going too far.

"abnormally high education for a half-orc" is fine, but "is a secretnoble" is outlandish, unless he's Orc nobility, in which case how did you obtain an education, or a Nobleman's bastard child he tries not to acknowledge, in which case why did he pay for your education?

Simply put, you sound like a completely implausible egregious snowflake. Try dialing it back some.
>>
>>54776906
Its more like playing a spy, with a different "face" personality used for npc's than the personality you use with the group. The DM knows, the players know, the only one who doesn't know is the tavern keep who's experience of orcs is limited to "don't use big words with them and there wont be a brawl."

I thought it would be quaint to add some flavor that the DM could use for plot points, like for example: other orcs become suspicious of me, because I'm acting more like how a person who never lived around orcs imagines them, or perhaps someone catches me acting normally during downtime with my group, and decides I'm affluent enough to be robbed.
>>
>>54777001
>"lol it's cool"
OKAY BUT WHY DOES IT MATTER? THERE IS NO SOUND REASONING FOR IT. WHY DOES HE BOTHER WITH THIS LUDICROUS AND DEMEANING ACT WHEN NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT BUT HIM?
>>
>2015, first time playing dnd
>first character i made was a barbarian
>got him to level 4 or 5 before TPK
>new campaign
>make a ranger
>later asked the DM to let me change my character from ranger to a barbarian (since it fit the concept and i was semi-familiar with the class) after playing the PHB ranger to level 7 or whatever
>get barbarian to level 8 or something before campaign dies
>fast forward to current game
>roll up yet another barbarian because im a fucking idiot and determined to "truly get the grasp of barbarian" or whatever my justification was
>extremely boring low combat game with lots of really uninspiring rp with stupidly aggravating npcs
>despite having a three charisma classes in our party (paladin with 20, sorc with 17, warlock with 18) the barbarian with 6 charisma is the party face because everyone else is too beta to step up in front of the party and fucking roleplay
>as i mentioned, game is low combat
>talk to dm about it, mention that im not having fun because im playing a character that is pretty much exclusively good at combat
>dm tosses me a bone by adding one combat encounter like 2 or 3 sessions after i complained to him
>the combat is agonizingly boring and long, idk what's wrong with my dm but his game is mind-numbingly boring
>mention to dm that i'd like to change classes because the game is very roleplay heavy and i want to play something with higher charisma and more out of combat utility
>dm tells me "your character is really good though and drives the story forward"
>IT'S BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE IS WILLING TO STEP THE FUCK UP AND TAKE ANY GODDAMN INITIATIVE
>game is currently on hiatus right now due to everyone being busy irl (except me)
>apply to a game on roll20, seems fairly decent
>i just want to play
>rolling up a bard
>get super excited just making the character

I really love martials. Fighters and Barbarians are awesome. I'm afraid, however, that once I play Bard, I'm never going to go back to mundane classes again.
>>
>>54776861
Probs 3d4 or 3d6
>>
>>54777001
Sure, but do you have the charisma and deception proficiency that a spy would have? Going by your backstory, and assuming you didn't drop your 3 core stats, your drop stats are charisma and wisdom, 2 things needed to pull off a long con.

Plus, even if you speak eloquently to nobles, you would lack experience in the standards and customs expected of them, since you don't regularly practice them.

If you want to play a many faced character, i recommend sticking to the classes and backgrounds designed for it, rogue and spy being the most obvious.
>>
>>54776891
A giant totally knows how to throw a real punch the same way as a tavern brawler or monk would, for a base 1d4.

Also you only add a new die, it's not double. So 3d4.
>>
>>54777048
Bards, especially at low level, are vastly overrated. Mind you, where they shine its amazing, but, especially if you are expecting to go lore bard, most rounds of combat will consist of Vicious Mockery+Bardic Inspiration unless fighting humanoids. Sleep and the other CCs are good, but rarely are they good to use on consecutive turns.
>>
>>54777048
>IT'S BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE IS WILLING TO STEP THE FUCK UP AND TAKE ANY GODDAMN INITIATIVE
Right? Like how do you fix this?

>>54777048
>I really love martials. Fighters and Barbarians are awesome. I'm afraid, however, that once I play Bard, I'm never going to go back to mundane classes again.
Go Warlock instead. They're basically martials that basic attack through cantrips. (almost) none of the annoying caster paperwork, all of the fun of having charisma as a primary stat, with spells tailored around softening up enemies and spy utility, that with a Rod of the Pact Keeper you can pop off about once per combat.
It's great.
>>
>>54777121
Glamours are pretty fly at level 3 but less as you go on, plus if you dip that cleric around then you can make those lore secrets really matter too. Life Bardic Aura of Vitality is OP.
>>
>>54777191
The earliest you can get Aura of Vitality is level 6, staunchly into the mid-game, and if you dip life cleric you need level 7.
>>
>>54777215
Sure but even a Life Bard Goodberry is great early building into that, less so mid-combat. 5th-6th is still early game but under 3 is pre-game.
>>
>>54777191
>>54777191
throw the medic feat on there for some downright obnoxious amount of healing during rests.
>>
>>54777037
Bandits, political enemies, etc.
I'd assume those are the common things a noble on the road would be afraid of, would they not?

I thought it was a common fairy tale/ mythology/ fiction element to have a noble on the run pretend to be a commoner. I guess it would help if I had a concrete person that is out for me, but saying "assassins of unknown race but of small stature" is generic enough that I can treat plot lines as a possible personal motivation.

IE:
>"(x of short race) has done something, go investigate."
>"wow that could be relevant to what my character is interested in, I should investigate."

>>54776998
Sorry, I exaggerated. Probably due to condensation of character explanation. Caveman is too far, my character isn't yelling "GROGNAK NO LIKE LITTLE PEOPLE!" Perhaps the best way to explain it is a bad act of an orc, because he is unfamiliar with orc commoners.

Though the more I talk about this character, the more I can see my take on him shifting.
>>
>>54777248
Considering most games end in the early teens or earlier 6-8 is definitively mid-game. You would, at best, get that combo at 5 on a bard, unless you were variant human, at which point the bard is irrelevant. Nothing you have said is generally better than Vicious Mockery+Bardic Inspiration/Cutting Words anyway.
Heat Metal, Charm Person, and Hold Person are still nice vs humanoids, but in combat vs monsters? You throw out a concentration spell then cantrip.
>>
>>54777191
>>54777215
>>54777248

Slap Medic on there to stack it with Song of Rest for a truly obnoxious amount of healing.
>>
>>54777095
Str 17
Dex 9
Con 14
Wis 12
Int 10
Cha 16

I added to strength cause I am a martial character, it's what I do.

Charisma is what I took second, cause I knew bluffing would be a bit of my character.
>>
>>54777269
So he's like a black kid adopted by white 1% country clubbers and has basically never met another black in his life, who whenever he has to travel through bad parts of town acts super negative stereotypically black because that's how he thinks they act, as an attempt to not get mugged.

Am I mapping that to a modern situation more or less spot on?
>>
>>54777313
So you have a 10 intelligence, the same as a commoner. Most commoners aren't taught astronomy, and couldn't grasp it if they tried.

I appreciate you are taking a mechanical hit for flavor, but having a negative dex is really impactful on a barbarian.

Frankly, i still stand on the side of
>No, change some shit
But i'm not your dm, and if you can pull it off, whatever.
Personally, i think your backstory is too complex and isn't encompassed by your actual class and stats.
>>
>>54777328
Not exactly, but I can't really deny that, yes, that is basically what it is.
>>
>>54777378
Carlton the orc
>>
>>54777378
So, why barbarian? Even if you leave everything else the same, Fighter makes far more sense with the backstory. It also means that having a -1 in dex isn't nearly as detrimental, since you can use heavy armor.
>>
>>54777399
>It's not unusual to be loathed by anyone
>>
>>54777399
>Orc Carlton vs Orc Uncle Ruckus
>>
>>54777339
Ah you're right about astronomy. I was considering that wisdom because of survival, but I guess its more knowledge nature. At the same time, it also wouldn't quite fit a learned character to be average, but i felt with a narrow enough scope it would make sense.

And I probably WILL change stuff, but at the same time I would like to see how the first session or two pan out, and perhaps changes can come as a way for character development, mechanically or socially.
>>
>>54776263
>>54776252
This is not where I thought you were going with >>54776244
The only response I really wanted to make was that a 100 GP tax every time you return to town is really fucking expensive. Do you have any idea how many arrows that is?
>>
>>54777414
Barbarian was mentioned as a description of the appearance of the character, and I'm taking it as a dip, because I'm gonna be unarmored anyway. I haven't looked into how multiclassing works yet, but i was thinking of barbarian/fighter to reflect the martial side.

I was hoping for relying on magic items to not die, but a little danger makes it a little more fun.
>>
>>54777488
Protip, when discussing a game, avoid using game terms when not referring to what that term means.

Fighter 1 gets you heavy armor, which fixes most of your mechanical issues though.
>>
>>54777048
>I really love martials. Fighters and Barbarians are awesome. I'm afraid, however, that once I play Bard, I'm never going to go back to mundane classes again.
I've played a bard, a barbarian, and a ranger in 5E. I've played a fighter and a sorcerer in 3E. And very briefly, a bard in 4E. I love the options that a high strength opens up. I keep trying to break things with my ranger.
>>
>>54777249
I feel like Healer gives a ton more healing per rest. I'd only take Medic because of its more broad benefits, like being a half feat, even though it gives much less health.
>>
>>54777507
Wouldn't a shield be enough for AC?
With a mound of HP and resistance to most melee damage, I'm sure I could get by.
>>
>>54777584
Barbarian's HP and Rage resistance exist to compensate the fact that their damage boosting mechanic, Reckless Attack, fucks up their AC.

They need as much as they can get unless you have no intention of ever doing damage. And a Barbarian that doesn't do damage is fucking garbage.
>>
I've been playing a stone sorcerer, just at the third level right now, and I'm basically playing him a lot like a paladin. He's got high armor, he runs up into people's faces and smacks them with a Warhammer, and smites them. I'm considering rerolling as a different sorcerer subclass and multiclassing paladin, though. I understand that if I were to go to Paladin, eventually I would get a second attack and a fighting style, but I was wondering whether or not more metamagic options, more spell slots, stone's aegis and arguably better spells are worth a significant dip, and also if I'm overlooking any significant pros or cons.
>>
>>54778329
>rerolling as a different sorcerer subclass and multiclassing paladin, though
You won't get heavy armor proficiency if you do this, just so you know
>>
>>54778417
Huh, never knew that about pallies. I guess I could start pally and MC into sorc? That's probably more recommended, right?
>>
>>54778455
That would definitely be the way to go for armor. What level will this character be starting at?
>>
>>54771058
Where are the books I thought you guys had a mega link for all the books?
>>
>>54778712
The mega got DMCA'd
>>
New thread when?
>>
What sort of class and build should I go for beside a generic Barbarian or Fighter for an Orc who aspires to be a warchief of his own tribe/clan/warband after he finishes a few years of adventure and self discovery with a adventuring party of various races? I need ideas.
>>
>>54779038

New thread now

>>54779094
>>54779094
>>54779094
>>54779094
Thread posts: 371
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.