[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 40

File: big goblin for you.png (733KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
big goblin for you.png
733KB, 1000x750px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54688270

Has your party ever been wiped out by goblins?
>>
>>54701787
I love goblins and kobolds but I've never seen them go full death god swarms myself.
>>
File: DGPMUMtUMAAxNt1.jpg large.jpg (301KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
DGPMUMtUMAAxNt1.jpg large.jpg
301KB, 1536x2048px
You wot mate?
>>
>>54701355
That's from the SRD text, to clarify. Also, permanent spells can generally still be dispelled. Compare Wall of Stone and Forbiddance.

>>54701487
I think the object -> creature transformation has to be into a creature of the same size, too, so that'd be one big spellbook.

>>54701522
>But you'll die to a dispel.
Technically, you'll cease to be a living creature. You wouldn't be dead, so it'd take a wish to bring you back, if anything.

Or as I like to put it:
>True Polymorph object into creature.
>Creature eventually has child.
>You can dispel the parent.
>Can you dispel the child?
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/893255239435927552

Apparently the revised ranger will be free.
>>
>>54701911
>cast dispel on child
>half of DNA disappears
>horrible prolonged death by disgusting mutations
>>
>>54701922
I hope it's on a book though, random pdfs from the internet do not seem like official content
>>
>>54701922
i think if it was anything other then free there would be outrage
>>
>>54701938
You know, I kinda feel that way about the EEPC when some of the spells don't make much sense.
>>
>>54701922
>>54701945
I was expecting something with XGE along the lines of "Variant Ranger"
>>
>>54701938
But it'll be an official document from Wizards, kinda like how Death House is also a separate (physical) pdf from the book but is also official.

>>54701945
True that, but it's good Wizards is still giving a free revised ranger as an act of good will.
>>
>>54701966
We c/should be getting those as well, they've been testing ranger variants in the UAs.
>>
File: UA_RevisedRanger.pdf (224KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
224KB, 1x1px
>>54701922
What do people want to see changed in the final release?
>>
>>54702070
I think it's too frontloaded as it is
>>
where can I get some cool dice sets for a good price? looking to at least four or five sets for <$35.

something similar to chessex pound of dice would be great too but not that because those ones are ugly.
>>
If I wanted to require downtime training to be eligible to multiclass, what would be a good time to require to do It?

It's still training, but there's not really any direct thing gained after since it would still need you to put in the level into whatever class. Training is typically 250 days at 1gp each

80 days? 100? I don't know
>>
>>54702070
Natural Explorer is strong as fuck, making the class too frontloaded. One level dip into Ranger and you get all that shit.
>>
>>54701787
That's a troll OP.
>>
Shield Master on a grappler?
>>
>>54702299
Works fine. You can bonus action prone than use action to grapple.

Just be aware this means one of your hands is never really available.
>>
>>54702299
Before you can get Multiattack, it's the easiest way to prone+grapple someone in the same turn and its a bonus action, so you can still use it once you get Multiattack. The biggest downside is that you can only grapple one mook at a time.
>>
>>54702406
Cool, yeah, I realize it means taking folks one at a time, but the Shove and extra Protection sounds nice
>>
>>54702630
>>54702406
And Rogue 2/Barb 1 is a comfy start? We get level 3 out of the gate. I kinda wanna go Zealot barb and cook folks in necrotic death energy
>>
My players (Party of 5, level 6) are currently stranded and are unarmored/unarmed. I want to throw a couple of giants at them to get them to think laterally and be creative instead of just move closer + best attack/spell. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to set this up in such a way that it doesn't feel completely unfair?
>>
>>54702070
Extra attack shouldn't be an archetype ability. Just give Beast Conclave the ability to give up an attack to allow their companion to make an attack as a reaction.
>>
>>54702678
>Does anyone have any good ideas on how to set this up in such a way that it doesn't feel completely unfair?
Provide clear escape routes or non-weapon options. Mounted ballista, the chance to set traps, or make it clear that the giants (don't know what type) can be negotiated with instead of battled.
>>
>>54702678
something with heavy advantage dark/light conditions for giant/creature. He can wipe them out if they go hand to hand with him but otherwise they can almost guaranteed evade.
>>
What is the holy grail of D&D? It's AC, obviously. Think about it. If no one can hit you, then it's very hard for you to die.
>>
>>54702811
It's impossible to get maximum defense though, by design. You'll always have a weak save.
>>
>>54702811
I thought the holy grail of D&D was to have someone actually enjoy your company for once.
>>
>>54702686
Is there any precedence to have someone sacrifice an *extra attack*? That's splitting an action in half, and I cannot think of anything that does that.

>>54702754
It's a pitch black night. Giants are carrying ... hooded lanterns? ... So that its super easy to see the giants, but it's hard for them to see anything unless they get the lantern on them. Players can work to keep the giants distracted, the light focused on something other than them, and get tactical.
>>
>>54702830
Well the best saves in the game are DEX, CON, and WIS so with my personal Monk+Barbarian multiclass you'll have all the important saves as well as 30+ AC.
>>
>>54702847
maybe some way to rig up a smoke/fog/mist or something to boost it further. Give them options to add to those strengths.
>>
>>54702686
>Extra Attack shouldn't be an archetype ability.
Bladesingers and Valor Bards both get them as Archetype abilities why not Ranger?
>>
>>54702811
I thought the holy grail of D&D was to have fun with your friends (new and old) in an awesome adventure and talk about it for years to come.
>>
>>54702891
i'm with this guy
>>
How do you keep combat interesting?

I get the whole concept of being descriptive and having the enemies acting realistically and being more freeform by making rulings on the fly when the players wanna try cool stuff, but I still find that a lot of combats end up as simply trading attack actions until the bad guys die. I'm not sure if it's because of mechanical simplicity (few combat options and we're still low level too), my players being uncreative, or my newness to GMing.
>>
>>54702884
its not a Full Attack anywhere and at least Valors have to also cast a spell so you're stuck MAD'ing if you go that route.
>>
>>54702921
You don't. After three hours I dumb down everything to "you hit/missed him."
>>
>>54702847
>Is there any precedence to have someone sacrifice an *extra attack*? That's splitting an action in half, and I cannot think of anything that does that.
Pretty sure you can never do that. "Extra attack" just means you make 2 attack rolls (or 3) as your action.

You can't make 1 attack roll and then do something else, as that's 2 actions.
>>
>>54702921

Probably some combination of all of the above. 5e has dramatically fewer options in combat than previous editions, especially at lower levels, and a player won't necessarily do some great, flashy move when he could kill the goblin just as easily by bashing it on the head.
>>
>>54702959
Ashamed to admit the same thing here.

I start out descriptive and fast, and it fades fast as combat drags on.
>>
>>54702921
make the environment more complicated, and the combat becomes more interesting. a room with pitfalls that are visible (or not). ranged attackers that are placed in a strategic position. enemies far too deadly, but crippled in a way to make it fair, blind giants etc.
>>
>>54702921
Make sure you have things to interact with in your maps

But in the end, it's always going to devolve into "you hit, you mids, you do 12 damage, you take 14 damage" personally I think it's better to have enemies that are very glass cannon like, so fights are very lethal and also very quick
>>
>>54702854
>with my personal Monk+Barbarian multiclass you'll have all the important saves as well as 30+ AC.
you don't know the rules for AC calculation friendolini
>>
>>54702921
my general rule is to have enemies surrender / escape when it's obvious the players are going to win, rather than having the players grind down the remaining HP of a fight they basically can't lose.

the other key is to put as much scenery around them as possible and try to keep them aware it's there. stuff that can be thrown, ducked behind, set on fire, otherwise interacted with.

mostly it's just important to have enemies act as realistically as possible, having thoughts like "this is taking too long" and "i am going to die" and "what is nearby that i can use to my advantage."

it's hard whatever you do because rpgs are slow by nature. just do your best.
>>
>>54702979
>You can't make 1 attack roll and then do something else

You can move in between each attack.
>>
>>54703012
You're right, that was my first draft. My second relies on a manual of bodily health and a manual of quickness of action.
>>
What's a good multiclass combo with warlock that isn't a sorcerer or paladin? I have Str 8 and Dex 16.
>>
>>54703048
Whatever makes sense for your character
>>
Feedback requested on how I might convert this NPC to D&D 5e:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/1120200-new-horror-little-morpheus
>>
File: Gonna sell you shit.png (145KB, 317x355px) Image search: [Google]
Gonna sell you shit.png
145KB, 317x355px
Reposted from the "that guy thread" for more visibility:

So I had one guy leave early for unrelated reasons and another guy leave in a huff before the end of the session, killing the mood. Am I a that guy DM? (Am new)

5e homebrew game:

>Have players heading through magic-fog forest that's full of undead every night.
>Encounter small hobbit-hole ripoff; a house built into the side of the hill
>They knock, door's unlocked and they're invited in.
>Pic related sitting behind a desk, magical items laid out on the table in front of them.
>cleric casts Detect Magic, immediately earraped by sensory overload of powerful magic.
>Party goes in anyhow
>spend the next hour asking "what more do you have"
>end up having them spend a chunk of their cash and trading small trinkets to get stuff made or purchased
>one guy has to leave early, not there for the aftermath
>sorcerer gets mad when the potion he drinks turn him into a chick, and threatens to the burn the place down if he doesn't get turned back immediately.
>player OOC getting pissy
>after a bit more haggling with other characters (very disorganized session), throw the guy another dose of the sex-shift potion
>was going to charge him an arm and a leg for it, but I wasn't going to have a player melt down over slapstick.
>party ends up clearing out the whole place despite trying to throw up warning signs—then get pissy when every single item is cursed (as I planned from the start)

Like I'm going to have my creepy fey give them powerful magic items at level 4 without some kinds of drawback. As I was writing out the item cards for them, one left in a huff before I got to the good part of his item.
>>
>>54701885
Yes I would but you don't have the book I believe.
>>
>>54703127
List of items:

>lightning-slinging bandoleer that reduces the number of barb rages per long rest
>+1 longbow that kills movement and defenses in melee range
>Dark Souls Ring of Sacrifice Ripoff that withers one hand and & gives vulnerability to damage from undead creatures
>Potion that "provides you with the oiled-up flexibility of athletes of old." Gives permanent +5 movement, vulnerability to fire damage, and oily skin
>Ring that lights up when undead are close—but forces undead with an INT less than 8 to attack the wearer.
>Shield of missile attraction—resistance to ranged damage but forces missiles aimed at a target within 10 feet to hit you instead
>mace that sacrifices health and exhaustion levels to become a +1/+2/+3 mace as you kill more people.
>3 bits of magic arrow that bypass undead fortitude saves, but only if they've used it once already during that encounter
>spell focus ring that lets you roll fire damage dice with advantage but does half the damage to you.

So am I a creative asshole, or is my party handling it badly? We're 4 sessions in and things are finally starting to pick up.

Also, how much to pay a remove curse service in 5e? Considering charging them even more for the removal, since I used prices in silver instead of gold for the fey enchanter.
>>
What's your current character? Mine's an Archfey Warlock 5/Life Cleric 2
>>
>>54702979
That's my point. He was saying that instead of making it an archetype specific extra attack, give all the archtypes extra attack, and then let them sacrifice an extra attack to have a pet attack as a reaction. Which as far as I know, would go against the general design of 5e - an extra attack trigger is just done off of making an attack action; you cannot spend an extra attack to do anything other than just repeat the attack. Splitting extra attack doesn't fit the design.

>>54702921
Someone posted this a few threads ago: http://theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/

I don't know how good it is, necessarily, I've never DM'd, but it does give some ideas. I would generally see solid points:

- Limit the amount of time players have to work with. If they are spending forever to do their action, combat is going to be fucking boring by default.

- Don't let it happen in a white room. They are in some sort of an environment when this happens; have the environment affect the combat in some way (and the players able to affect the environment). I'm not a big fan of critical failures, but I do advocate for things like "hey you accidentally punched a hole in an oil barrel, now there's flammable liquid leaking all over the place - and you're splashed in it" or some such. Basically, things that they can interact with / take advantage of / have to be careful of.

- Give secondary objectives, or things that they need to do while this is going on.

- Have enemies react realistically. Intelligent creatures probably won't fight to the absolute bitter end - they're going to get hurt and withdraw, or recoup, or try to figure something else out. I would be tempted to say have enemies come into combat with a goal / failure point. If the enemy wants to say, rob the party, when things go sour they are going to want to get the hell out of there. If you take out the leader, they will want to get the hell out of there.

- Emphasize ways around the combat
>>
>>54703152
Half-orc Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorcerer X.

Not mechanically perfect, but kicks ass with them maxed lightning bolts.
>>
>>54703144
>>54703127
They had to learn an important life lesson
>>
>>54703152
abjuration wizrad level 1. playing through curse of strahd for the first time with some fellow noobie friends.
>>
>>54703152
Game Master Forever 2
I think in about 4 months I'll be level 3.
>>
>>54703144
I really like that mace concept. Exhaustion IS sort of a resource... I haven't wrapped my mind around it quite yet but it's got so much potential.
>>
>>54702921
>>54703182

For the whole 'ways around combat'; if the enemies have a goal, can they be reasoned with / that goal met without the party having to murder them? Is the enemy willing to parlay?

Personally I do wish that there was more options that characters can take advantage of in combat - I believe the DMG has some optional things that you can use. Similarly I also wish that there was higher lethality - it does feel like a lot of the time its stat blocks mashing together.
>>
>>54703197
If magic items are cheap, they're probably too good to be true.

Good life lesson, thanks.
>>
>>54703152
A GOO warlock 1 bringing the brain pain in the Underdark.
>>
File: exhaustion chart.png (10KB, 767x340px) Image search: [Google]
exhaustion chart.png
10KB, 767x340px
>>54703230
Glad you like it!

Pic related as to exhaustion—basically when an effect gives you one or you don't eat&sleep through a long rest you go up a level.

When you do eat and sleep through a long rest you lose a level.
>>
File: Capture.png (10KB, 342x238px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10KB, 342x238px
>>54703127
>>54703144
Depends how shady you had the merchant act. Regardless the sorcerer player overreacted.
>>
>>54703282
Fucking fantastic chart, thanks buddy.

I agree, but I didn't want to tell him that.

His character is gonna end up chaotic evil at this rate, he keeps throwing out thaumaturgies to fuck with the 8-int goliath barbarian.

And yes, it's a tiefling sorc. Pretty fun character though, had a normal upbringing.

Gonna get to confront his fiery demonic ancestor if the campaign ever makes it that far.
>>
>>54703282
And I'd like to think he was pretty shady.

"Oh, you don't pay with *money,* my dear friends" should have tipped them off.
>>
>>54703282
This is prices AL uses. For those wondering, it's (spell level * spell level) * 10 + expensive material components, or a 10th of material component cost if it's not consumed.
>>
File: Necrosis Carnex.png (104KB, 480x768px) Image search: [Google]
Necrosis Carnex.png
104KB, 480x768px
Can you guys help balance these monsters for me? They are 3.5 converts, I will be dumping a few.
>>
File: Blaspheme.png (102KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
Blaspheme.png
102KB, 464x768px
>>
>>54702959
>>54702982
>>54702999
>>54703003
>>54703014
>>54703182

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I have been trying to implement all those suggestions best I can unfortunately. I've had a huge boner for OSR style play for a while after playing PF for years and hating it, but now it seems the reality of that style is much harder to pull off. I guess I need to step up my game if I wanna keep things interesting. Hopefully things get better as the group levels so both them and the monsters will get more complex.

Although a part of it too might just be that now that I'm GMing I'm seeing all the mechanics behind the scenes so is seems less interesting on my end while the players just see the cool effects.

>>54703239
Yeah, I'm also wishing that there were more options and things were more lethal. I've been into RPGs for a long time but it's only now that I'm GMing and I think I'm discovering my style preferences now that I'm finally playing rather than just reading.
>>
File: Blood Amniote.png (107KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Amniote.png
107KB, 464x768px
>>
File: Elder Black Pudding.png (149KB, 464x1057px) Image search: [Google]
Elder Black Pudding.png
149KB, 464x1057px
>>
>>54703408
Check the variant rules in the DMG. Honestly I don't really know them all, but there's at least some stuff that emphasizes a bit more tactical combat - even just basic things like flanking (or letting people disarm.etc.etc).

I think there's some 'grittier' combat rules with injury charts, but I don't know how well done they are or how well they are received.
>>
Why the fuck is spare the dying necromancy
>>
Hi I made a Kender Rogue, can I play with you guys?
>>
>>54703479
All the resurrection-type spells are necromancy.
>>
>>54703408
Try to keep the number of combatants down as well. Sure, it might be cool to rally a few guardsmen to help the party, but all it does is add bloat to any encounter. Lower enemy numbers is also helpful, but if you need to have a lot of them, look up the mob rules in the DMG for possible automatic hits.
>>
>>54703501
Sorry phb races only
>>
>>54703479
well it's not an evocation cast so it must be. It's not acting on a healthy living person, it's manipulating the body and shit outside of the life.
>>
>>54703527
But I have good character, he don't do nothing wrong.
>>
>>54703547
If you have a good character it wouldn't rely on being a certain race.
>>
Going to be DMing for the first time in a week, it's the first time any of us have played D&D. Do most DMs do voices and accents? I've been trying to practice some voices but it's just coming out as my normal voice. I'm worried it's going to be shit if I don't inject a bit of showmanship and acting, but I'm terrible at both.
>>
>>54702847
>Is there any precedence to have someone sacrifice an *extra attack*?
All over the fucking place? This would be Commander's Strike, but there's a ton of examples of giving up one attack to do something, like shoving, grappling, disarm, a few of the new skill feats UA stuff.
>>
>>54703527
>phb races only

Who does this?
>>
>>54703563
Every sane DM
>>
>>54703558
if you're good at it, go with it. If you're not good at it, skiiiip. You can change up your speech patterns fine though, obviously you can talk haughty or slangy depending on the character and it'll come out fine without full on accents. Story time not radio show.
>>
>>54702884
Surely you see the difference between rangers, bards, and wizards.
>>
>>54703479
Because it involves manipulating the forces of life and death, you fucking autist.
>>
>>54703563
People who don't have access to books that add more races

Dm's that don't want to include certain races in a setting
>>
>>54703556
>>54703580
I won't destroy your social encounters, pls allow the Kender, they fit thematically well.
>>
>>54703558
Just need to find your niche and work with it. I'm only decent at big dumb gruff monsters. Friend of mine only knows how to be a 1940's swindler.
>>
>>54703558
i assume this is in person right?
people will be impressed if you even have a character with traits that dont spill over into the next character trust me
voices are a step up not many people can pull off more then a few
and then beyond that its physical body acting i dont think unless you are a actual practiced actor it might turn out bad
basically if you are good at it go for it if not its fine to just develop character traits through basic speaking
as long as you dont have critical roll retards who expect professional voice acting from you you are good my dude
>>
>>54703558
Voices can be as simple as you just changing the tone of your voice, altering speech patterns, and things like that

All my kobolds and goblins that do know common talk in very high pitched, broken common unless they're actually intelligent like spellcasters, for example
>>
>>54703584
Yes, two of those are full casters while the other is half. I was making the rebuttal that there are archetypes that do in fact have Extra Attack as a feature and therefore it is not weird to have it for the Ranger Archetypes.
>>
>>54703580
>allowing Dragonborn while restricting Lizardmen

This is just stupid.
>>
>>54703677
The other way around is the only acceptable solution.
>>
>>54703689
Agreed
>>
>>54703563
Good DMs.
>>54703580
This. I am so sick of these fucking niggers who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a drow. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Drizz't so they have no excuse for wanting to play a drow, besides "lol it's different." Fuck different. Here's the thing: your race is the most boring fucking part of your character. Unless you do something interesting with it (which 90% of these stupid cunts don't do), then you are just weighing down the game. When you have a thri-keen, some homebrew furry shit, a tiefling and some fuck who wants to play kender, you know what? Fuck this. I made a setting that actually feels somewhat like the real world because it doesn't have 90 different races running around like it's motherfucking Mos Eisley cantina. It's not my fault that YOU are a bad roleplayer who can't be satisfied playing something out of the core book. Create an interesting character, and you can play as a human for the rest of your RPG career. I had groups that were entirely human yet they had personalities that seemed like real people. But no, no one wants to lump in 30 homebrew races plus 60 official wizards of the coast crapshit races they pump out like chocolate because they know it will keep people entertained and requires zero effort on their part. No DM worth shit wants to spend hours and hours putting that in his world. Play. A. Fucking. Human. You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first. You don't get the big boy toys until your prove you can be responsible for them.
>>
>>54704079
>You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first.

Good bait.
>>
>>54704079
The pasta is stale, but it has a point. A tiefling or a kenku does not an interesting character make. A good roleplayer can be a human or a dwarf, and be the star of the show every session.
>>
File: 18978e49217878178.jpg (267KB, 511x712px) Image search: [Google]
18978e49217878178.jpg
267KB, 511x712px
>>54704079
Old Gygaxian wisdom
>>
>>54704331
>Gygaxian wisdom
>implying gygax had wis above 8
>>
>>54704331
>le brainlet audience can only sympathize with humans XD argument
>giving ancient pasta a (You)
0/10
>>
Had all of my players walk out on me after they accidentally killed Stool by bringing him to the surface.
>>
>>54704563
Oh, christ. Poor Stool.

At the same time that's a pretty big overreaction, and I say that as someone who loves Stool more than any other NPC.
>>
>>54704581
I was very vivid about his death and wouldn't let them cheat their way out of it ("I'll just hide him in my backpack haha")
>>
>>54704642
Were you trying to make a point or just being an asshole?
>>
>>54704563
>Stool by bringing him to the surface
Why can't it be on the surface?
>>
>>54704687
Myconids die if they spend more than an hour in direct sunlight.
>>
>>54704676
Neither. It was the most natural consequence, and of course a well loved character is going to get a long, drawn out death.

>>54704687
Sunlight sickness.
>>
>>54704563
They wouldn't have known though.
>>
File: IMG_0160.jpg (33KB, 180x204px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0160.jpg
33KB, 180x204px
>my warlock gets declared as a god to a tribe of kuo-toa after killing their former god
>manage to abandon them
>start slowly transforming into a weird crab monster as part of the process of becoming their god
>grow weird eye stalks that give me -2 charisma
>need to either wipe out the tribe of kuo-toa or fake my death so they start worshipping whatever "killed" me to get rid of it
>party is currently trapped in a huge city completely taken over by undead
>stuck with -2 charisma through no fault of my own
>>
>>54701885
Ras Nsi is ALIVE?
>>
>>54704876
Man, that sucks.

When I was an OotA player kuo-toa that ended up worshipping a PC ended up letting him turn into a nerfed version of a water elemental once a day or something like that.

You got shafted hard.
>>
Do Clerics have any good ways to inflict the Restrained or Incapacitated conditions?
>>
>>54705162
They can get Hold Person. Which is paralyzed, not quite the same thing.
>>
>>54705188
Good enough for a low level solution. I'm playing a Zendikar game soon as a Vampire Death Cleric. For the awesome stacking of Touch of Death and Divine Strike on my Bite attack.
>>
>>54703090
Does anyone want to give this a shot? I'll be thankful for any suggestionyou might have.
>>
One of my players just asked if he's cool to play a Yuan-ti Monk. I can't tell if this will be OP or lame as fuck.
>>
>>54704642
Why would hiding it in a backpack not work?
>>
So my campaign ended last week, effectively, with an epilogue today.
Part of why it ended is my work schedule changed, and can only make every other week, instead of every one. This meant I wasn't there for the usual start time today. No drama, everyone else was ~3+ hours late, to my 5.
So I check my phone when I finish work, at they did the epilogue because everyone except me was able to be there, including the girl whose character died at the climax of the campaign, who would be the only person missing next week.

I'm kind of salty. I don't even know what happened to my character, because they all split before I got home, and I can't get an answer from people on skype (despite them responding about 3 minutes prior).
>>
>>54705414
>+1 int and +2 cha to a monk
Well it certainly won't be OP
>>
>>54704723
I would've had the myconid act very uncomfortable and anxious as soon as he was in the sunlight, to give the players a hint. Did you do that?
>>
>>54705417
Too far gone.

>>54705486
Of course. I also had him become delirious and move sluggishly.
>>
>>54705509
Eventually players have to learn that things aren't always going to go their way.
>>
>>54705509
>Of course. I also had him become delirious and more sluggishly.

Your players are just dense motherfuckers then.
>>
File: useatlatl.jpg (56KB, 929x379px) Image search: [Google]
useatlatl.jpg
56KB, 929x379px
>>54701787
Does anyone have a weapon stat block for one of these beauties or should I just make it myself?
>>
>>54705576
Nigga that's a javelin.
>>
>>54705576
Just use a javelin. Maybe pump up the range a little bit and add the Loading property.
>>
>>54705596
works for me.

>>54705595
true, though I had read something about how Atlatl could actually add something like up to 5 times more power (or something) behind a thrown javlin.

Thanks though, got a campaign starting in earnest tomorrow!
>>
>>54703035
>relying on magic items for a build to work
>>
>>54705621
>true, though I had read something about how Atlatl could actually add something like up to 5 times more power (or something) behind a thrown javlin.
And a sling has 50% more range than just throwing a rock.
>>
If you wanted to make the absolutly most min / max'ed character ever, what class / race would you be?

Using Only PHB, Volo's, the most updated UA, and the Storm Coast Adventure Guide for the base.
>>
so i rolled for stats and got some insane shit: 18, 17, 16, 15, 15, 14
give me something fun
>>
>>54706158
be a redemption paladin and play em as a drunken friar with fisticuffs
>>
>>54706144
Yuan-ti Pureblood Lore Bard.
>>
Are there any tools for randomly generating an npc's stats?

Like if I needed a 6th level druid npc right off the bat, is there anything out that that just randomly generates stats and spells for that person?
>>
Next session, the party is planning to raid a cockatrice nest and steal eggs, which they plan to trade to a wizard in exchange for a +1 wand.

How badly should this go for them?
>>
>>54706265
Depends on the amount of cockatrices and how awake they are
>>
>>54702070
Honestly, if you Took NE and applied the ranger's limits to it from the book it would be fine. One area is okay, saying that you NEVER slow down from difficult terrain is absurd
>>
>>54706144
Yuan-Ti Loremaster Wizard
>>
>>54703239

Once had a skeleton mage type go about burning a spell book with a hoard of skeletons inbetween us and the book burner.

Sure you could try to force yourself through but then you'd take attacks of opportunity ect.

An enemy could threaten to drop some treasure down an (apparently) endless pit, or destroy some such treasure (a potion) if you don't let him live ect.

Some decent roleplay can happen fast if you're smart about it (and if the idiots decide to take a paladin)
>>
>>54706282
Pretty sure the point of the change is to never have to ask, "does this count as a mountain." In other words, fuck that.
>>
>>54706265
give the wizard alzheimers - he meant to say basilisk eggs, and the location of the nest is just that. A might bit scarier than a pile of cockatrices that need to get a few bites in to turn you in to a museum piece.
Oh, also mating season is happening - let the basilisk swarm commence.
>>
>>54706219
NPC's don't usually have class levels, anon.
>>
>>54706380
They do when they're people with spellcasting.
>>
>>54706219
Donjon does have some stuff for generating class-level npcs - although, for spells, I typically just have a list of regularly used and easily referenced/memorized spells that I can use for chaff spellcaster characters.
>>
>>54703144
>Ring that lights up when undead are close—but forces undead with an INT less than 8 to attack the wearer.

The "downside" sounds like it could totally be a powerful advantage if you were prepared (luckily it glows you might just be).

Ring starts to glow? "Alright blokes form up in zombie killing formation"

Person with ring hangs in the back while everyone else gets free attacks of opportunity and flanking damage.

Or if things look bad just pop the ring off (I assume that wouldn't work and the effect would linger)
>>
>>54703144
Try a magical hat that's able to cast some kind of useful spell, but ends up cursing the PC with only understanding and speaking one language picked at random.

Fun occurs when the PC starts shouting out expletives in abyssal and everyone just assumes they're possessed by demons.
>>
Speaking of curses, are characters always aware that they're cursed? Like if they were cursed to suffer disadvantage on everything, would the character realize this?
>>
File: strahdcarriage[1].jpg (384KB, 1177x1047px) Image search: [Google]
strahdcarriage[1].jpg
384KB, 1177x1047px
Starting a Curse of Strahd campaign soon, anything I should know or prepare for ahead of time outside of the usual?
>>
>>54706515
After a while they'd figure it out.
>>
>>54706517
Definitely try to touch Victor's butt.
>>
>>54706192
>>54706283

Unfortunately, they're not a playable race in any of the things mentioned.
>>
>>54706560
Play them anyways
>>
>>54701787
>>54672099
>>>54672000 (You)
>Not gonna work.
>Use the 5e guidelines for defense/offense based on level, and then just rip the abilities out.
Why wouldn't that work?

If there is a pattern to 4e monster stats (there is), one should be able to convert that pattern to fit in the 5e number scale / monster guidelines by level with some spreadsheets, which you could then refer to for stats by level, no?

If no, why is that not possible?

Because to me it really just seems a matter of "has someone crunched the numbers to do it yet?"

I mean, there's a converter for 3e that automatically converts most of a statblock for you if you paste it in, and that seems like a task that would take way more math.
>>
>>54706517
Make Cleric, Cast Spirit Guardians
>>
>>54706560
They're in Volo's.
>>
File: AmIRetarded.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AmIRetarded.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54702854
You don't get extra saving throw proficiencies from multiclassing, anon...
>>
>>54706560
>Using Only PHB, Volo's,
>Volo's
How are they not playable?
>>
Do monster obey concentration rules? If so I may have to keep bashing DM in the head to make him remember concentration rolls
>>
>>54706640
Technically: yes.

But if your DM is a dickbag, it's in his purview to throw the rules out the window when it comes to NPCs.
>>
>>54706515

Not obvious or Insidious curses are best curses.

An item that is generically good (1/2+) but it also makes the character more susceptible to sickness. After a game day he might get the flu or a cold or something much much worse (bad stuff in dank dungeons). PC's might think that its just part of adventuring or something they did in the dungeon to cause the illness.

Or a helmet that makes the DM lie to the playr how much damage enemies do, when you're hit in combat the DM tells the player that the enemy does a bit less damage than what was actually rolled and keeps a secret total. let them or their party make will/observation checks to notice that he is actually way more beat up than he thought.
>>
Any good Sorcerous Origins homebrew?
>>
If I have a monastery on a cliff side facing the sea it's pretty unlikely they'll have a well within the monastery right? I kinda imagine they'd just use their magic to desalinate the sea water and drink that but...
>>
>>54706938
Probably depends on how much magic is in your world.
High magic they'd possibly just conjur it, low they may not want to waste magic on something so mundane.
>>
File: Weavetouched 4.0.pdf (638KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Weavetouched 4.0.pdf
638KB, 1x1px
>>54706876
WELL LET ME SHILL MY SHIT

I think it's fun, been playing so far and seems pretty alright. The elemental ability was created before loremaster came out, I think mine is more balanced. Also has an expanded spell list, and I will post the new metamagic pdf next.

Expanded Spell List:

Eldritch Blast
Puppet
Arcane Lock
Remove Curse
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
Wall of Force
Contingency
Forcecage
Antimagic Field
Invoke Magic

They seem to fit the flavor.

I love criticism, tear me up, senpai.
>>
File: New Metamagic 2.0.pdf (665KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
New Metamagic 2.0.pdf
665KB, 1x1px
>>54706983
And more metamagic options.
>>
>>54706969
I mean like there being an actual well on the cliff naturally,if not they'll just magic up some potable water
>>
>>54702854
This seems relevant if your goal is to stack AC.

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54537050/#q54545611

These things do stack, and you can get your AC up into the 30s on demand, well before you start adding on magic items.
>>
>>54707290
Ranger+wizard+cleric, for the classes.

Inb4 that guy tries to autisticly argue that RAW isn't RAW because they personally wouldn't allow this class combination in order to prevent AC stacking; and clearly their personal views are universally applied to everyone in every campaign everywhere.

The options you can take are between you and your DM, as always.

But these published options stack together very well.
>>
>>54706517
The guy with the sister is dope.
>>
I just had a fun session. First 5e game as a player. We're in Faerun, no spellplague and set just a few years after Neverwinter Nights 2.

We escorted a silver caravan from Waterdeep to Neverwinter, and fought off a few Gnolls and a troll- killing one gnoll and the troll, via me picking it up and roasting it on a fire after our corpse friend knocked it out.

We're a party of 3-
Myself, an Ogrillon (refluffed Volo orc- because powerful build and no light sensitivity fits ogrillon better) brawler-monk homebrewed to use Strength instead of dex, a veteran of the Neverwinter-Orc war on the orc side and worshippers of Baghtru, god of strength and stupidity

A vengeance paladin of Kossuth, traveling and questing-

And an undead Goliath, former Greycloak, who was killed and raised as a death knight by a necromancer, before breaking free and killing him.

When we arrived in the city, we split up- the paladin revitalized a rundown shrine to Kossuth, the death knight went to a temple of Selune to try and find a cure for his corpseness, and I went to the Sunken Flagin, got drunk, started a bar fight, beat up half a dozen people, including the owner, Duncan, and the leapt out a window carrying a full leg of beer when the guard showed up... only to run into an orc Baghtru worshipper in a slum house who punched me into a wall and offered to show me how in return for beer.

I'm hype aaa fuck for next session. After all the high fantasy political nation building games I've played recently, some pure adventuring is NICE.
>>
>>54707290
>>54707346
My big issue is it requires constant 1st level spells and for creatures to be hitting more then twice per round each to actually work. It's really pretty shit.

Then without all those highly specific circumstances working you require plate which costs 1,500gp and even then only have 21 AC.

Also anyone who uses magic items in their theory crafting is dumb, considering they're considered a variant rule and the ones in the DMG are just Examples.
>>
>>54707526
Since when the fuck are magical items considered a "variant rule"?
>>
>>54707577
>Since when the fuck are magical items considered a "variant rule"?
When the book outright states that magical items are not necessary and says that players can go through entire campaigns without finding one

When monster stats are almost entirely based around players not have magic items, and nearly every monster in the game can be taken down without someone having a magic weapon
>>
>>54707577
I guess he means variant in that they aren't reliable for theory crafting because they aren't going to have fixed stats if you're using them correctly.
>>
>>54701956
Such as?
>>
>>54707526
What's a better way to get more reliable high ac?

I'm pretty sure included magic items are listed as a wish list, rather than a requirement.

Anybody who is building a character should have a wish list of the kinds of gear they intend to search for in game, just because it s a useful thing to consider, you're unlikely to get your perfect set, but that's not the point.

And despite not being "required", most dms still give out magic items as per the guidelines for random loot drops in the game. The published adventures include lots of magic items.

Magic items are "optional" like feats. The games without them are few and far between, at least out of the games I've seen.
>>
On the topic of magic items, my party has now assembled the following items:
A mirror that allows you to cast Astral Projection for 1000gp per user (6 at a time max)
A censer that creates a 20foot radius of invisibility while in the Astral Plane, and
A stone that can be used to cast Word of Recall once per week.

What sort of fun adventures can we undertake with these?
>>
>>54701787
oh yeah. fuckers ran into a cave full of them and tried to play Rambo
>>
How would you fix Orcs, tg? Being the only -2 race with worse benefits than Goliaths blows chunks. Should they get some half-orc traits on top to make up for it?
>>
Dual wielding on bard?
>>
>>54707900
Fix orcs by playing half orcs

All the good traits half orcs get are given to them by the not-orc half.
>>
>>54707900
Remove the -2 Int, then make Con +2 instead of +1.
>>
>>54707900
My approach was to ditch half orcs and Volo orcs and make new orc subrace writeups, based on half orc, orc, and previous edition orc writeups, for the 6 distinct orc types in faerun.

At this point I don't have half orcs at all, but if I add them back it'll be by taking some stuff from human and swapping it into the orc types.

But more or less I'd suggest dropping them and do new orc writeups that match what you want in your campaign.
>>
Are there any good, calculating character sheet tools for 5e people can recommend?
>>
File: 120.jpg (543KB, 806x950px) Image search: [Google]
120.jpg
543KB, 806x950px
>>54706560
>Unfortunately, they're not a playable race in any of the things mentioned.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54708142
They're not playable because good DM's don't allow furry anime shit at the table.

List of Good DM Approved Races:
Human
Dwarf (short human)
Elf (gay human)
Halfing (human child)

And that's it. Obviously all of these are going to be white, so no Drow.
>>
>Have the nerve to say that I don't like fumbles
>Everyone else in the group starts circlejerking about how crits shouldn't be a thing if fumbles aren't
Why are fumble-fags so retarded?
>>
WHEN IS THE NEXT UA

WHEN WILL THEY PRINT MORE BARD SPELLS
>>
>>54708174
>WHEN IS THE NEXT UA
Monday, most likely

>WHEN WILL THEY PRINT MORE BARD SPELLS
Never, cuck
>>
>>54708172
Fumbles are in the same league of "DUDE NAT 20 I CAN DO ANYTHING."
>>
>>54708183
I have to keep explaining to my players that nat 20s on anything that isn't an attack doesn't mean anything.

They don't care. They see that green number on roll20 and get all excited.
>>
>>54708127
I have yet to find one I like.

I have been working on one myself, for my next campaign, but I have limited time and it won't be done for a couple weeks (we'll, I hope to have the player sheet done by Tuesday, but the rest won't be done for a couple weeks)

Google sheets. I'm setting it up to forward data to a dm hud, and to a shared party hud for stuff like party notes and some other shit that could be handy for the whole party to have access to.

If you want to keep an eye out for it I'll mention it here, on the discord, and will also share it on my blog, Circumstancemods dot blog spot dot com, when it's done.

Im making it mostly for my own group, but maybe other people will get some use out of it.
>>
>>54707900
Orcs aren't broken. If you'd rather play goliath, play a goliath.
>>
>>54707803
>What's a better way to get more reliable high ac
Bladesinger with a dip into Fighter for Defence fighting style. High AC means very little in this game because anything you get consistantly won't be all that great.

Having a 21-24 is generally considered great, you'll be shrugging off a lot of attacks. Saving throws are the real fucker up-er and the only way to be able to completely demolish them consistently is to be a level 14 Monk.
>>
>>54708191
NAH DUDE I HAVE A 5% CHANCE TO DO LITERALLY ANYTHING

DM I ROLL TO CUT THE WORLD IN HALF OH SHIT I DID IT XD

DM I ROLL TO CONVINCE THIS GUY I'M A GUARD OH SHIT NAT 20 I'M SO PERSUASIVE I CONVINCED MYSELF I'M A GUARD HAHA EPIC DUDE XD
>>
>>54708191
I've got a session 0 tomorrow with a bunch of new people and am going to hammer this in right away about rolling.
>>
>>54708197
>>54708127
Use this.
>>
What does /5e/ think of monks? Are they good, and if so, what at?
>>
>>54708158
This is a meme post.

There is no fixed list of races good dm allows.

A good dm allows races that could make sense in their setting and campaign premise.

Sometimes that will be the races you listed, other times it may just be "drow", or "orcs, half orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, and gnolls" or "yuan-ti and lizard races" or whatever.

And a good dm isn't always gonna run the same tired shit, they'll mix it up sometimes.

Hell, I ran an arcane age campaign one time where the races were high elf, wood elf, half wood elf, half high elf, fey'ri. The campaign was a lot of fun, and the group enjoyed it.
>>
>>54708215
That format is atrocious.
>>
>>54708215
Eh. It's a sheet, I guess.

>doesnt work on a phone.
>isn't stored online where the dm and player can both access and change it live.
>i cant pull the data from it in real time for a dm party overview or player party overview.

Glad you're happy with this but it doesn't do what I want from a high tech sheet.

Ill keep working on the one I'm mostly done in Google sheets.
>>
>>54708265
>>doesnt work on a phone.
Good, get off your fucking phone during a game you piece of shit/
>isn't stored online where the dm and player can both access and change it live.
This can easily be done by you, you're just lazy.
>i cant pull the data from it in real time for a dm party overview or player party overview.
What does this even MEAN?
>>
Man. Im pretty hyped for Tomb of Annihilation. What say you, 5eg?
>>
>>54708620
Yep
>>
>>54708127
https://www.orcpub2.com/

Go! Have fun and make tons of characters.
>>
>>54708127
There's barely anything to calculate, buddy.
The roll20 sheets are fine.
>>
>>54706165
>>54706158
I read it as duke nukem.
>>
File: IMG_0356.jpg (169KB, 470x633px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0356.jpg
169KB, 470x633px
How would /tg/ go about changing the monk class to be more of a strength based brawler class? A frontline pugilist, rather than an agile monk.

So far ive got
-switching out strength for dex effects like unarmored defense
-increasing hitdice

But I'm piss awful at balancing home brew, so I'm unsure what to fiddle with to keep the class reasonable.
>>
>>54708789
This homebrew class was made specifically for this.

If this is not to your liking, Barbarian/Fighter with the tavern brawler feat.
>>
>>54701938
>random pdfs from the internet do not seem like official content
who cares. does it work? is it good? is it fun? are the only questions of substance.
>>
>>54708789
1. Give all monks a d10 hit die, because that's what they should have had in the first place
2. Pump strength instead of dexterity
3. Refluff as necessary.

There's nothing in the Monk class as far as I know from skimming just now that requires you to use Dex for any of your attacks. Don't use the shitty pugilist homebrew from DMsGuild.
>>
>>54708789
Ask your DM to swap Unarmoured Defence for Heavy Armour proficiency and let it work with your abilities.

Now your STR based and will in no way over or under shadow a normal Monk.
>>
>>54708814
Is this reasonable and decent? I'm fucking awful at identifying balance due to being retarded. My gm is forgiving, but for that reason I don't want to screw up.

>>54708826
I'm unsure I could convince him to give me a higher hitdie without giving something up.
>>
>>54708870
>without giving something up
You are though. You're making a Monk, which is the most MAD class, even more MAD.
>>
>>54708870
It's not like monks are broken right now. Giving them an average of 1 more hp per level (and more health back at short rests) is nothing.
>>
>>54708814
>d8 hd
>ki replaced with "moxie"
>no actual replacement for unarmored defense
How cancerous.
>>
>>54708870
>Is this reasonable and decent?
Yea it's fine, it does a little more damage than the monks do but they suffer in terms of defensive play as they have to balance doing more damage or playing on the defensive. They also do not have Stunning Fist and the Utility of a monk which is a big deal, what they do have is a vast amount of temporary HP and more damage, and tanking.

Show it to your DM and see if they are okay with it.
>>
>>54708789
Be a Minotaur for the sweet d10 attack you can use unarmed. Seriously a Minotaur Barbarian is amazing fun.
>>
>>54708757
I like the presentation, but I keep finding corner cases that irritate me. Get used to pressing the Homebrew button (which feels a bit like bribing an otherwise strict GM with a beer).
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
Where can i find crystal dragons, yellow dragons etc? Are they in the Monster Manual?
>>
>>54708918
>d8 HD
With the amount of Temp HP these guys get this is not a problem. Smart Pugilist players can tank like a barbarian if they play their cards right.
>Ki Replaced with Moxie
Yes and? There is a difference from swagger and focusing your inner being.
>No actual replacement for Unarmored Defense
These guys can reach an AC of 18 with studded leather and a CON score of 22, 17 otherwise. They should have lower AC in return for how much they can tank.

Honestly, me and my players have really enjoyed this class. Not all of us want to nerf ourselves by playing a STR monk or playing a Barbarian or Fighter which does not always fit the theme we are looking for. To each his own I guess.
>>
>>54708968
I don't usually use the homebrew option as there is no option to build our own classes and subclasses.

I know the creator is working on that as he continues to add more UA material to the program.
>>
>>54709009
Moxie is a terrible name.

As for unarmored defense- why shouldn't the big bruiser be able to shrug off blows like a monk or barbarian can? Why must they rely on armor?

Also I don't like any class features that rely on exhaustion, because it's fucking nasty and a bitch to get rid of.
>>
>>54709083
>Why shouldn't the big bruiser be able to shrug off blows like a monk or barbarian can? Why must they rely on armor?

A stylistic choice I guess? These guys are not supposed to be dexterous individuals just hard hitters who have a lot of staying power.

>Exhaustion
True it's a nasty condition and again adds to the idea of them choosing to play more offensively or defensively. Also, Brace Up and Bloodied but Unbowed is a part of the tanking nature.
And of course, if all else fails you could go Pugilist/Barbarian and become even stronger.
>>
>>54702921
Everything the others said plus:

Combat is interesting when PCs can die from it.
>>
>>54708814

Iron chin is kinda not well designed. You'd be better off copying the Barbarian's Unarmoured Defence to make it less 'Put in these 2 stats and no others'. Even Barbarians try for 3.

Leather Jerkins are also utterly useless for the pugilist, as it can wear light armour.
>>
>>54709159

>Also, Brace Up and Bloodied but Unbowed is a part of the tanking nature.

They don't really have any ways to enforce that (Even squared circle can just get a single dude).
>>
>>54703375
not bad low to mid level monster

>>54703391
not bad mid level monster

>>54703409
ooze that deals necrotic damage
not good
just remove the necrotic damage and leave everything else as it is

>>54703428
make magical weapons roll a saving throw or get a penalty
>>
>>54709159
Seems to me you'd be better of just switching most dex based abilities of the monk with str, increasing their hit die by one size, and starting their damage dice at d6.

In return.., drop unarmored movement? I dunno.

I like monk, I just want a frontline brawler instead of a skirmisher.
>>
>>54704079
You sound like a good DM
>>
How do I deal with oozes as a low level melee character?
>>
>>54709007
More dragons in the Tome of Beasts
>>
>>54709319
By not fighting them. Lure them. They are slow and dumb.
>>
>>54709007
Crystal Dragons are not in MM or >>54709326 (Though there are some pretty cool ones like the Void dragon)

This is a homebrew Crystal Dragon if it helps.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkydNfua
>>
>>54709276

I really liked the 4e monk on that front.

They were Dex/??? (With the secondary stat varying by subtype). So all monks were agile but some of them were wise masters who manipulated the battlefield, some of them were charismatic firebrands and some of them were strong motherfuckers who could dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

Dex/Str were nasty melee brawlers (Their flurry of blows had reach to it and yanked them towards the monk, with added slowing to keep them from getting away next turn.) They also got some odd stances like 'Have a bonus to all defences BUT you are Slowed while you stay in this stance' with an upgraded one of 'You are immobilised but you got resistance to all damage'
>>
Quick poll:

Do you actually use UA in your campaign?
>>
>>54709372
Yes.
>>
>>54709372
Yep, I have a Fighter Knight and Revised Ranger in my game. And someday whenever the parties Rogue Assassin dies I'll have a Mystic in as well.
>>
Would dropping unarmored movement be worth an increase in hitdice and unarmed die size? If so, how much? d10, d12?
>>
File: Cap.jpg (206KB, 978x387px) Image search: [Google]
Cap.jpg
206KB, 978x387px
>>54709359
>then even creatures with darkvision are unable to see

Literally why?
>>
Was thinking of creating a CG haunted one fiendpact warlock going into bladelock and acting essentially as a masochist in combat, is this actually a good idea?
>>
>>54709602
To make the Light Cantrip feel impactful?
>>
>>54709602
It's better to say "magical darkness" like that than to just refer to darkness and suddenly realise that the party was relying on ambient light and nullify only the characters without darkvision. Not to mention, given the number of DnD variants I've played, if I were GMing I'd have to stop play to check who has darkvision. You might be surprised, especially if you played 3e DnD where basically only humans had no darkvision.
>>
>>54702070
I think its pretty good except for the lvl 1 terrain ability, should be higher level, arround lvl 5 is fine, and the lvl 20 ability which is still "just dip 1 lvl in another class" tier.
>>
>>54708826
What's requiring you to use DEX is your need for AC
>>
How do you decide between cleric and paladin
>>
>>54709370
4e was terrible and everything it did is bad
>>
>>54702135
I suggest "whatever makes a reasonable price at the time", multiclassing is to be handled carefuly and characters spent their whole lives just to obtain one, some NPC spend all their lives without even gaining a single level on a character class.
>>
File: Vexahlia2.jpg (79KB, 600x603px) Image search: [Google]
Vexahlia2.jpg
79KB, 600x603px
>>54702070
Natural Explorer needs some work as it gives way to much at the start. Split it across other levels or change the abilities. Also, specify that the Animal Companion's ability scores increase with Ranger Ability Score increase, not any Ability Score Increase.

That reminds me would you guys want an animal companion to have feats on a case by case basis?
>>
>>54709372
Yes, revised and spell-less ranger
>>
File: file.png (289KB, 400x554px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
289KB, 400x554px
What creatures would have some serious beef with a tribe of Thri-Kreen?
>>
>>54704079
If the race doesn't matter, why get this assmad?
>>
>>54709933

Why is that bad? Beyond 'Being in 4e'?
>>
>>54710138
Aarakocra, my nigga
>>
>>54709933
It isn't all terrible.

its great for stealing ideas and putting them in 5e
>>
>>54710148
It's a shitty MMO pretending to be an RPG
>>
>>54710195

I was talking about the idea of monks having multiple stat options, not 4e.
>>
>>54709477
Is this reasonable? Pair this with replacing dex abilities with str and I figure you've got a solid brawler monk.
>>
With the fiendish vigor invocation, can I just safely dump Con a bit?
>>
In a tight lipped town where the knowledgeable people dont visit taverns, whats the next best source of information?
>>
>>54710342
Gossipy elderly women who don't give a fuck what youngins think, or prostitutes.
>>
>>54710311
playing a 7 CON warlock right now, level 2

in my case, max HP on levels 1 and 2 + max Fiendish Vigor gives me only 20 HP
>>
>>54710342
Beggars and street urchins are traditional sources of information. They typically come cheap as well.
>>
>>54710138
Tarrasque sized Ant-eater.
>>
Alright, /5eg/. What's your ideal supervillain entrance spell combination? I want the ability to go full Megamind up in this shit.
>>
>>54710541
Bro, why did you dump Con all the way down to 7?
>>
>>54710605
>>54710541
In any case, was thinking of just leaving Con at 10. Or I could dump Wis to 8 and raise Con to 12.
>>
>>54710599
Hallucinatory Terrain for something huge and ridiculous
Thaumaturgy for added effects

With those two you could justify a ton of ridiculous bullshit. A giant stone statue of yourself rises out of the ground, spews fire from the mouth while belting out a rock ballad as lightning and thunder crash in the background and you appear in the outstretched hand.
>>
>>54710660
Magnificent.
>>
>new dnd adventure
>its ANOTHER tomb of horrors
>great.. thats not gonna be tiresome
>ALSO SET ON JURASSIC ISLAND

I actually am looking forward to this.
>>
>>54701787
Post your Bards traveling, battle, and inspirational music!!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sn2MfJblJA&t=517s&ab_channel=ZXApocrypha
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmoRT6nPiJA&ab_channel=ZXApocrypha

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBRKz8OUs8Y&ab_channel=StuC2699

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx0U9UsUgpI&ab_channel=Belzifer

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKskuvJTcs&ab_channel=Belzifer

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByC8sRdL-Ro&ab_channel=pengu
>>
>>54710693
New dinosaur statblocks excites me. I'm hoping we get a ton of new beasts at a variety of CR's to help give druids a bit more range.
>>
>>54710660
>Hallucinatory Terrain has a 10 minute cast time
>Thaumaturgy is cleric-only
i'm going to make this work god damnit
>>
File: my nigga.jpg (26KB, 680x447px) Image search: [Google]
my nigga.jpg
26KB, 680x447px
>>54710716
>that last one
>>
File: Good Knights Rest.png (330KB, 848x942px) Image search: [Google]
Good Knights Rest.png
330KB, 848x942px
>>54710629
Low WIS for a Warlock kinda makes sense to me.
You have to be pretty devoid of common sense to go for these kinda pacts.
Or be super smart and wise by outplaying otherworldly super beings.
>>
>>54710743
Tieflings get Thaumaturgy for free, so a Tiefling Illusionist could set it up just for the sake of an entrance.
>>
>>54708789
Add some custom knuckledusters to the weapon table. There, now you can punch dudes with a barbarian. Multiclass Fighter or take Martial Adept for some maneuvers.
>>
>>54710778
I assure you anon, the vast majority of my vicious mockeries and insults are from that song.
>>
>>54710743
>>54710795
Magic initiate will get you 2 class cantrips + 1level spell.
>>
File: Gauntlet like items.png (156KB, 428x320px) Image search: [Google]
Gauntlet like items.png
156KB, 428x320px
>>54708789
>>54710811
Ripped right off the Pugilist if the class itself is too much.
>>
>>54709932
>devotion to a God
Cleric
>devotion to an ideal
Paladin

Or more simply
>PURGE AND SMITE
Paladin
>TURN AND BUFF
Cleric
>>
File: 1501344422271.png (287KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1501344422271.png
287KB, 540x489px
>>54710795
>mfw i'm a human wizard
Current working idea is to open with a fog cloud, use thaumaturgy to create ominous whispers around it and amplify my voice. Insert taunt here. Give it a second to sink in and then use Thunderwave or Gust of Wind to blow the fog cloud away before starting combat.
Does thunderwave even do that?
>>
>>54710856
Then Magic Initiate it is so you can pick up Thaumaturgy and another cleric cantrip along with a 1st level spell.
>>
>>54710873
An excellent idea.
>>
>>54710856
>In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell's effect
Presumably fog could be construed as "unsecured objects". Gust of Wind explicitly disperses gas or vapors though.
>>
>>54710856
if you're illusionist you can manipulate your illusions on the fly, don't need a separate spell to clear the fog.
>>
>>54710977
Technically Fog Cloud is conjuration, not illusion. It's real water vapor rather than a magical image of vapor.

You might also want to look into Unearthly Chorus from the UA Starter Spells article. It's a first level spell that gives you musical accompaniment, bard only.
>>
>>54711019
>i'm going to have to multiclass into bard AND cleric
fuck my shit UP
>>
>>54711040
The best one I can see is to be a Tiefling Wizard, take Magic Initiate into Bard to get two cantrips and the Unearthly Chorus as your 1st level spell. That's the combo that gives you maximum Supervillain Entrance potential.
>>
>>54711056
i mean either that or enslave a party member to follow me around whistling the imperial march really badly
>>
>>54710856
Fog Cloud is concentration? So you could just stop concentrating on it.
>>
>>54711095
I mean, yeah, but then it wouldn't explode.
>>
>>54711102
If you cast gust of wind, you'd lose concentration on fog cloud too. Thunderwave is worth it just for the boom anyway.
>>
Oh /5eg/ of /tg/, I have come to seek your wisdom on matters pertaining to Crawford advice.

Crawford has ruled that thrown weapons are still melee weapons, and thus does not proc sharpshooter feat's -5/+10 portion, in sage advice.

Doesn't it mean on that flip side of the same coin, you can get Tavern Brawler (Proficiency with improvised weapon), and smack Crawford with a crossbow in melee for Sharpshooter damage bonus (Which admittedly requires proficiency in said ranged weapon)?

Furthermore, doesn't that mean Archery works in melee given that you are using a ranged weapon as improvised weapon? You don't even need Tavern Brawler for this.

In fact, with Crawford ruling, can't you load the crossbow you are smacking someone with, and use Crossbow Expert and Hand Crossbow to fulfill the last bullet point, causing you to become able to smack someone once again with a bonus action?
>>
File: 1491619028445.jpg (2MB, 1944x2052px) Image search: [Google]
1491619028445.jpg
2MB, 1944x2052px
>>54711516
Who gives a shit about Crawford.

The only ruling that matters is your DM's. Hence, the only person you should be discussing this with... is your DM.

But I'm getting the feeling you're one of these guys that shitpost here without actually playing. Probably the majority here.
>>
>>54711552
Ah, I am actually the GM, pointing out the interaction with a friend whose character (rogue human, raised by dorfs) has tavern brawler and finding it to be rather underpowered. I suggested to him that he could take sharpshooter and smack people with a crossbow, and then had to explain it to the poor sap, while noting that while I normally wouldn't allow for it, it's hilarious enough that I'd let it fly if he wanted to.
>>
>>54711593

... To expand a bit more on the matter, I am mostly making fun of about Crawford and his inane and shitty rulings, and I welcome people's thought and other stories of how Crawford's ruling might have unforeseen consequences.
>>
>>54711516
>Doesn't it mean on that flip side of the same coin, you can get Tavern Brawler (Proficiency with improvised weapon), and smack Crawford with a crossbow in melee for Sharpshooter damage bonus (Which admittedly requires proficiency in said ranged weapon)?
Yes.
>Furthermore, doesn't that mean Archery works in melee given that you are using a ranged weapon as improvised weapon? You don't even need Tavern Brawler for this.
Yes.
>In fact, with Crawford ruling, can't you load the crossbow you are smacking someone with, and use Crossbow Expert and Hand Crossbow to fulfill the last bullet point, causing you to become able to smack someone once again with a bonus action?
Yes.

If a ruling specifies an attack with a ranged weapon, all it cares is that the weapon is in the Ranged category, not what kind of attack is made. Conversely, making a ranged weapon attack only cares that you're taking a specific action, not what the attack is being made with.
>>
>>54711516
>Smack someone with a Crossbow and Sharpshooter them.
I would rule no as the weapon has no ranged properties during this action and is being used as an improvised weapon, not its intended purpose. But ask your DM and you may find a different answer.

>Smack someone with the crossbow as both an action and bonus action.
Sure? Don't know why you would want to do either of these things but sure.
>>
>>54708291
>>1. The sheet doesn't function using a phone as the device.
>Get off your phone you piece of shit!
You're clearly retarded. See #3

>>2. it's not stored online with live multi-person editing capability
>hurr it could be but you're just too lazy
I can't confirm this 100%, but I didn't think form fillable pdfs worked on Google drive for multiple people to edit simultaneously. I'm even less confident about leaving comments on pdfs in Google drive. (one drive could also work, but would be less convenient since my group all already have Google drive. Mostly it's #3 that's the issue, see below.

>>#3I can't pull the data from it in real time for a dm or player overview
>what does this even mean?!
Well you see, numbnuts, it means I'm a dm whos group uses tools to store gaming stuff, and I want a sheet that will work on a laptop or tablet, because we aren't a luddite "MUH PAYPUR Sheets!" group - I expect digital character sheets which can't be lost and which everyone has the most current copy of at all times, and every player has ALL the rules on hand in case they want to look something up. I also want tools that will be useful to me as the dm. Specifically, a "Google sheets" spreadsheet can grab data from other Google sheets. I'm using that to grab all the information from ALL of the players' character sheets, collect it in one place, and then format and display it for me as the dm. So I can see everyone's hp, ac, and dpr, with statistics like max, min, and average in the group or total party dpr against a given ac and damage reduction value, and even fucking graphs if i decide I want them. I can use this when designing encounters to know much more accurately how hard an encounter will be instead of having to eyeball it. If they update their character sheet, my dm tool updates its data automatically. Another page collects point form character info and personality traits to remind me of how the party is likely to react to stuff.

(cont'd...)
>>
>>54702921
Personally I'm not afraid to let my monsters use PC tactics. If the temple of evil is lit up by braziers, some clever cultist will knock one over to burn an unlucky PC. (It's a great way to introduce new players to creative terrain use, too.)

Also, focus on map flow and terrain effects. A large stone boulder isn't just scenery, it's full cover, it's something you can bash a PC's head against, it's something an enemy archer can climb and fire arrows from, etc.
>>
>>54709933
Oh come on, I know it's different, and I prefer 5e too, but if you think of it as a different game (D&D Tactics, essentially), then it's fine for what it is.
>>
>>54712058
that would be enough except for the setting rape that just made more confused bullshit floating around
>>
>>54711975
I have another spreadsheet shared with the players, which presents all of the information the *party* would fine useful.

One page collects all the party's notes in one place, in case someone isn't there and they wrote down something important.

Another page collates and sorts the player's inventories in one big sheet they can all see, for a "what do we have for supplies? " scenario.

A third page gives them a visual display of the party's hp and a couple other stats I decide the whole party could be aware of, below portraits, because why the fuck not.

And if I think of any other party summary that would be useful either to me or the party, I can easily add it.

I can't do any of that with your ugly, shitty pdf, you rude, illiterate twat.
>>
File: autism.jpg (57KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
57KB, 567x561px
>>54711975
>>54712081
>>
>>54712126
You mean you don't get off on insulting retards who start shit and don't know wtf they're talking about, as you explain why they're retarded?

I find it cathartic.
>>
>>54712372
How about you stop being a piece of shit.
>>
Can I wield a spear in two hands while casting greenblade?
>>
>>54712563
No somatic components and the material is the spear so you don't really need your hands free
>>
>>54712622
Amazing. Thanks heaps bro!
>>
I've only just seen the dnd beyond character builder. Why is it so bad? The new orcpub one is lightyears ahead in like every way.
>>
>>54712541
What you mad that I had a response for your bullshit back in >>54708291?

If you don't want to be shown to be a stupid twat, either don't pick fights, or learntohavevalidcriticisms instead of making yourself look like an idiot.

In the meantime, I, like many on the internet, find arguing entertaining, so if you insist on picking fights with people, I'll be around to hop in and insult you whenever you make yourself look stupid while you're being a jerk.
>>
>>54712824
Red tape I assume. D&D Beyond has to run every fucking tiny thing past the people at Wizards and Hasbro to make sure they don't fuck something up on a legal level. Orcpub has a lot more freedom in that regard which allows for a faster development pace. Compare an indie game updating daily on Steam to a triple A title trying to get a new build past Microsoft or Sony's patching requirements. Of course it's also possible that the programmers at Wizards are just incompetent.

>STOP Gare
You got it, captcha. Stopping Gare will be the next campaign.
>>
File: demontrump.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
demontrump.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
Hey 5eg I'm gonna DM for some tumblrina's I know.

I need a name for a villain that rhymes with "Donald Trump". Any ideas?
>>
File: EzinCalderiCHARSHEET.pdf (892KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
EzinCalderiCHARSHEET.pdf
892KB, 1x1px
Hey /5eg/

In my current game I died through a pretty heroic means, (Half Orc Barbarian used a cursed great axe that summoned a crazy demon after me using it a bunch of times, so he sacrificed himself for his party)

I have a new character that i'm rolling out tonight. What do you guys think? Sorry about the cut off on some of the skills/feats
>>
>>54713201
And I just realized my additional feats and traits are cut off.

Fuck.
>>
>>54713193
Drumpf
>>
>>54713221
Even tumblrtards can see through that, and they're the opposite of subtle.
>>
>>54713232
Sblumpfeltiltskin
>>
>>54713193
Sir Reginald Honeylump

>>54712081
Sounds fancy, what are you using to do this? Just google docs?
>>
I'm putting together a sorcerer, and it's looking like the combination of Extended Spell Metamagic and Enhance Ability is really damn good.

Does that 24 hours still require concentration? It doesn't say.
>>
>>54712126
>spreadsheets are autism
If you've ever worked an office job, you'd know that they're incredibly convenient.
>>
>>54713193
Grogald Garump, a ruthless half-orc warlord and self-nominated mercenary king
>>
>>54713311
You double the duration, so enhance ability would last 2 hours, not 24. And I would assume it would still require concentration, since the metamagic rules don't say it removes that requirement.
>>
>>54713406
Is "Duration: 1 hour" same as "Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour"?
>>
File: 1471091223488.png (728KB, 1165x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1471091223488.png
728KB, 1165x1075px
Rate my character

>lore master with mastermind sub class
>half elf, son of two half elves not a human and elf
>noble
>lawful
>prodigy feat
>fluent in a fuck ton of languages
>character wants to be famous so bad that he comes off as almost suicidal in terms of his willingness to face danger
>pretty much no one on earth has his respect and is rather two faced
>blames others for his failures but is condescendingly nice when others fail in front of him
>pretty much the biggest dick on the planet
>thinks he has a lot of friends but he actually has non.
>despite being a charasmatic and half-elf rogue he turns women off almost as soon as he opens his mouth.

will this annoy other players or does this sound amusing. not trying to make a ebin comic relief character just a character that can potentially cause a few funny moments.
>>
>>54713345
Spreadsheets aren't autism. Being autistic about spreadsheets is autism.
>>
>>54713444
>pretty much the biggest dick on the planet
I think that gives you the answer mate
>>
>>54713444
>hey guys I want to play in insufferable shitbag this is a good idea y/n?
Figure it out.
>>
>>54713474
>dick characters are annoying
>god I hate the villian in this show he's always getting in the way of the heroes
>grrrr the evil step mother is so agitating, she's such a bitch.
>>
>>54713444
This gets a response

but >>54713201 doesn't get anything

Never change /5eg/
>>
>>54713547
It's low effort to tell someone they're retarded.
>>
>>54713547
maybe because the character sheet is fucking trash

find mpmb you scrub.
>>
>>54713521
Being a dick and being evil aren't the same. Try again.
>>
File: 3c.png (6KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
3c.png
6KB, 209x241px
Tell me about the character you're playing now, /5eg/.
>>
>>54713406
Makes sense, thanks.

>>54713433

Fair enough. There's my answer, thanks mate.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>54713613
all i can picture is you saying this shit then going on to make their 4th loner druid or zelot paladin.

fuck you my character is perfect like me.
>>
>>54713658
Half-orc Storm Sorceress w/ 2 levels in Tempest Cleric for that Channel Divinity feature.
>>
File: why2.jpg (26KB, 400x562px) Image search: [Google]
why2.jpg
26KB, 400x562px
>>54713201
>multiclassing TWO UA classes
>playing the Mystic at all
>Shortbow when proficient in Longbow
>>
>>54713709
You asked if it will annoy the players, and I said yes. If you're really into it then by all means play the character, there's definitely worse that you could play.
>>
>>54713658
Gregg, half-orc with criminal background.
My gang and i did some nasty things. I thought those fuckers were my friends, for they talked to me and paid me attention. I was starved for it, since noone really likes half orcs. Anyway, we were stealing, robbinng people and didn't let anyone to touch us.

But once, i tried to rob this dude. He beat me up, and instead of turning me to authorities, he talked to me. He could totally break my neck or something, but instead he talked to me. Then i realized that my current friends are just exploiting me for my strength and they don't care for me as much as this stranger cared for me.

I turned my effort to adventuring then, for it seemed like way to repent for my transgressions. I hope i can do some good. And hopefully make some more friends.
>>
>>54713658
V. Human Veteran Wizard 1.
Joined the war, fought the good fight, king and country and all that rubbish. Learned basic magic in the trenches, decided to study it seriously after the war.

Currently caught up in big city street-gang "politics." Sometimes things need to go boom.
>>
Hmm, about to go level 4 as a Monk. Deciding on whether or not to get a stat increase or get a feat such as Lucky or Alert.

Picked Variant Human, took Mobile as first feat, current stats are STR 10, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 8 (Did 4d6 drop 1, used the points to shore up CON and WIS)
>>
>>54714024
Which tradition?
>>
>>54714073
Open Hand
>>
>>54714024
I'd go for dexterity increase. 5th level monk have 3-4 attacks per round - attacks whose damage adds dexterity modifier. That's pretty neat bonus.
>>
>>54713590
mpmb is awful
>>
>>54714112
Seconding. The all-around benefit of 20 dex is hard to pass up for Monk if you can get it that early.
>>
>>54714124
give me 3 reasons why you contrarian
>>
>>54714112
>>54714178
Alright, will do that.
>>
>>54713286
Google sheets, yeah.
>>
>>54714190
It just doesn't look nice and an autofilling sheet isn't required for something as simple as 5e
>>
>>54714477
well that's two shitty reasons.
contrarian confirmed.
have fun typing out your spells.
>>
>>54713658
im a forever DM
>>
>>54714537
>typing out spells
Surely no one does this. It isn't hard to remember what a spell you have does
>>
>>54714537
>typing out your spells.
I write them down on a notecard with a pen
>>
I've got a level 4 sorcerer for a game in a few days, and I've gotten everything worked out everything but the metamagics. What should I pick?

Spells are

Shocking Grasp
Gust
Prestidigitation
Lightning Lure
Fire Bolt

Ray of Sickness
Ice Knife
Feather Fall

Aganezzer's Scorcher
Shatter

I was thinking about Empowered Spell and Twinned Spell to start out, then Heightened Spell and Extended Spell at higher levels.

Thoughts on that and the spell list?
>>
>>54714880
Sounds good fampai
>>
>>54713450
>doing cool shit with spreadsheets is autistic
lol ok duder
>>
OK FINE, I'll make a new thread.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>54715028
>>54715028
>>54715028
>>54715028
>>54715028
>>
>>54714880
Empowered Spell is ok, but both Quickened and Subtle are a bit more useful, at least in my experience. Twinned is obviously the most useful, and I would honestly hold off on taking Heightened at all.
>>
>>54715069
I thought about Quickened, but since I'm playing a Storm Sorc I'll be spending most of my bonus actions flying 10 feet without OoAs.

But I'll think about it.

I can see why Subtle Spell is good, even though I don't think that I personally would use it much. My sorc isn't very sneaky.
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.