[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 397
Thread images: 36

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54676412

The dracolich. What are your thoughts on this monster?
>>
I always thought dracoliches were stupid.
>>
>>54688294
Same here. You're already an immortal dragon with a shit ton of magic. Why do you need to go Lich?
>>
>>54688310
I've never been under the impression dracoliches are usually for the dragon's benefit.
>>
>>54688320
So they were forced into Lichdom by an outside party? For what purpose?
>>
Is playing a mounted character in Adventurers League a good idea at all? Is anything mounted even remotely viable in combat?
>>
>>54688328
To have a really big monster they can give orders to presumably
>>
>>54688331
Any time there's a hard transition (getting captured, collapsing into the Underdark, etc.), your mount is going to get the axe.
>>
>>54688331
The problem with using a mount is when you have to go into a dungeon or really any place you shouldn't take a horse. Otherwise I don't think there's really anything wrong with mounted combat, but you're investing into something that your character probably wont always be able to use
>>
>>54688341
That's....pants on head retarded. Who, short of a divine power, would even be powerful enough to issue orders to a Lich?
>>
Anyone here ever played or run an urban campaign? What did you like/dislike about it?

On a related note, I'm thinking about using Ptolus as the setting for my urban campaign. I seem to recall Monte Cook is generally hated around here, but the setting seems cool.
>>
>>54688328
>Ancient White Dracolich
>Intelligence: 10
>Commandundead.exe
>>
>>54688382
Taken from the monster manual
>Creating a dracolich requires the cooperation of the dragon and a group of mages or cultists that can perform the proper ritual.
A dracolich isn't the same thing as a lich. They basically have to trust a bunch of necromancers to not fuck them over at some point
>>
>>54688310
Who doesn't want to be extra immortal with even more magic?
>>
Is the Fanged Maw from the Lizardfolk from VGtM considered a weapon that you're wielding?

Since unarmed strikes are not considered light, and two-weapon fighting requires you to use a light weapon, but does not if you have the dual wielder feat, could I take that feat and then Fanged Maw + Other weapon (probably on a Barbarian) for an attack that adds STR mod?
>>
>>54688504
>>54688458

I don't, if it means having to trust a bunch of skullfuckers to hold up their end of a bargain and refrain from altering the ritual to make me their immortal bitch.
>>
File: Mephistopheles.jpg (89KB, 421x590px) Image search: [Google]
Mephistopheles.jpg
89KB, 421x590px
my warlock player wants to focus his spells on fire and hellfire. i read somewhere that hellfire warlocks where a prestige class in a previous edition, apparently it harmed the caster. what benefits did it grant?

im thinking of keeping it simple and letting him deal out extra damage on his fire spells in exchange for losing that same amount of HP
>>
>>54688555
It gave bonus fire damage at a faster rate than normal eldritch blast progression in exchange for ability score damage. It was popular-ish because there was some magic item that could basically nullify the downsides. It sounds like you have the right idea though
>>
Why does everyone dislike Wu Jen? Nomad's "swap out proficiencies every long rest" shenanigans I can understand, but I don't get why Wu Jen is also singled out.
>>
>>54688605
Because wuxia garbage doesn't belong in a western RPG.

Same reason why monks are shit.
>>
>>54688270
Does anyone use D20 Plus on roll20 for their games? It's like an app thing that adds a bunch of probably useless features. I remember someone bringing it up here like a month or so ago.
Anyway, the import monsters feature isn't working. Did something change with it?
>>
>>54688591
cool, maybe take away eldritch blast and add fire bolt with possible upgrades?
>>
>>54688706
Or you could just let him say his Eldritch Blast is stylized to look like fire.
>>
>>54688706
I wouldn't go that far. First of all I'm pretty sure they can get fire bolt already, but between fire being significantly worse than force and having multiple attacks that apply cha bonus damage it would never really be worth it.
A better route would be a fire version of hex that does slightly more damage
>>
>>54688270
>>54688294
>>54688310
I agree. While skeletal dragons are cool, that should just be a matter of a necromancer finding the bones of some dead ancient dragon and animating it, rather than turning a living one into something even stronger through rituals.

If you want an actual dragon that uses dark magic, just have the thing itself be a necromancer or be corrupted by dark energies. No need to make things convoluted with Liches.
>>
>>54688787
For your spooky corrupted dragon needs there's already shadow dragons. Dracoliches have always basically been the ones that became chumps for someone else.
>>
>Do you have a webcam, anon? We want to broadcast our play! It'll be so much fun!
Are all r20 groups like this or did I just got unlucky for my first time?
>>
>>54688936
Definitely just unlucky
>>
>>54688555
Fires of Mephistopheles, off of the warlock UA. Give it a read.
>>
>>54688936
Search for voice only, it's in the search options
>>
>>54688706
Personally I would make Eldritch Blast do fire damage, and let all the invocations that work with it do what they always do.
>>
>>54688969
That's a strict downgrade though
>>
>>54689029
Yeah. But if the player wants to downgrade themselves for cool factor, who am I to say no?

I might give them the "Flames of Phlegethos" feat from the "Feats for Races" UA for free and regardless of race. At least the "reroll 1s on fire damage" part.
>>
>>54688936
Ugh. I tried a Skype role play once because a partner of mine wanted to start up a game, and fuck was it painful.

I am sure not every game has kids running around screaming in the background and side chatter and people munching away but fuuuuuuck ever doing that again.
>>
Does anyone have any advice about playing the Zealot Barbarian? Never played a Barb before, so I was wondering if there were certain good feats to take, or thematically cool feats for a religious barbarian
>>
>>54689085
Yeah, thats the same as a game at a table though
>>
>>54689110
My tabletop experience has been limited but I've yet to experience that so far.

I wouldn't tabletop if that was the standard.
>>
>>54688823
Yeah, Shadow Dragons Iike a lot if you just want a double-evil dragon suffuse with necrotic power. Otherwise, a Dracolich just seems like a needlessly complicated version of a skeletal dragon.
>>
>>54688823
>>54689127

What if a metallic dragon becomes a shadow dragon? Are they still good or do they become evil? And if they stay good, how would they act?
>>
>>54689089
Personally I've had a desire to have an acolyte zealot barbarian running around in light armor (rely on barbarian ac) and brain the shit out of people via a giant iron bound religious tome (refluffed mace, or maul, or if your dm is being strict, improvised weapon wth tavern brawler feat).

Not necessarily the most optimal build though, as barbarian ac requires high stats - but it seems like a really fun thematic choice.

Other suggestions have been to have, essentially, an ancient warrior that is resurected periodically to fight battles for his people. But if you're level 1 .. wow the ancient dude sure is weak. So it becomes "why the fuck were your bones there instead of the ancient dude" ( since zealot barbs are so easy to true resurrect).
>>
>>54689089
Outside of that: there's barbarian guides out there. The rule of thumb is great weapon master is fucking absurd. That will break power levels and damage levels quick. Polearm master is also absurd - and sentinel is amazing if you want to lean tankier
>>
>>54689085
not using push-to-talk is at best inconsiderate and at worst actively rude. friends don't let friends use voice activation, and only the truly lost use always-on.
>>
File: 1499718133069.jpg (334KB, 1226x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1499718133069.jpg
334KB, 1226x1500px
>>54689151
General consensus seems to be that the ritual to ascend to lichdom requires a host that is pure evil of heart.

A metallic dragon could probably be resurrected as a skeletal or zombie dragon, but only a chromatic dragon (Or fallen/evil metallic dragon) could become a Dracolich

Slightly urelated; I'll be playing in a campaign loosely based off of the American West with traditional fantasy elements as background. Is a Skeleton Gunslinger a cool character concept?
>>
>>54689151
The monster manual doesn't really touch on it, but I'd imagine they'd try and stay in the Shadowfell regardless. At best, they might retain enough of their good nature to try purging evil in the Shadowfell, but more likely it would corrupt them and cause them to slide down towards neutral or evil.

Shadow Chromatics are a distinct possibility, but are a weird idea that's tough to handle. I think it depends how corrupting you want the Shadowfell's influence to be, but I'd say it's pretty drastic given that the dragons seem to accept it quite easily.
>>
How would you buff two weapon fighting?
>>
>>54689252
TWF
Both Attacks are made as part of your Attack Action (freeing up your bonus action)
Add Modifiers to both attacks
>>
>>54689252
>When you make an attack while dual wielding two weapons, you may take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits it deals an additional 10 damage of the weapon's damage type to the target.

There fixed
>>
File: 1486510569680.jpg (97KB, 967x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1486510569680.jpg
97KB, 967x1500px
>>54688270
Hey 5e general, I was hoping you can help me with a noob question.

I'm playing an arcane trickster. In a recent session my character got cursed equipping a magical bracelet that makes your stats flip negative. So if you got a +2 stat it becomes a -2 in that stat.

Anyway. Now that my intelligence is 6 so -2 does that mean I can't cast my spells anymore until I get the bracelet removed like in earlier editions, or am I still able to cast my spells?
>>
>>54689278
>just make it GWF
Clever clever anon

>>54689272
This is better
>>
>>54689252
Make it work with Hand Crossbows/Firearms, and let you add your Modifier to all of the attacks.
>>
Any spell scrolls I should outright remove from a magic shop?
>>
>>54689272
wouldn't this mean you'd get to attack twice per attack instead of one extra time per turn

wouldn't that make it incredibly good compared to the other fighting styles
>>
>>54689326
All of them.
>>
>>54689326
>Magic shop

Don't do it anon.
>>
File: 1273427910251.jpg (190KB, 1259x801px) Image search: [Google]
1273427910251.jpg
190KB, 1259x801px
Hey hey is there a 5E supplement with a lot of Egypt-y shit in it? I want to run Notegypt and was looking for any new monsters or encounters to add.
>>
>>54689227
I was asking about Shadow Dragons, not Dracoliches
>>
>>54689338
You're right. But if you restrict it to (Light) weapons the damage increase shouldn't be too dramatic.
>>
>>54689288
There's no minimum ability score requirement to cast spells. You can still cast, but they're just going to be a lot shittier.
>>
>>54689252
Make it give a second attack with the bonus action somewhere around level 8
>>
>>54689348
https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf
>>
>>54689217
When I play video games with my buddies there are two of them that always have voice-activation on. One of them always has a fucking fan and a TV running in the background and he's constantly eating. No matter how much I ask them to use god damn PTT, they always switch back to voice activation and say "oh yeah I don't like having to push a button to talk it's too hard and I keep forgetting"
NIGGA BIND THAT SHIT TO MOUSE 4/5 IT'S NOT HARD, DO IT FOR 2 HOURS AND YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF PUSHING THE BUTTON EVEN TO TALK TO SOMEONE IN THE SAME ROOM AS YOU HOLY FUCK
>>
>>54688555
There was the Chosen (?) of Mephistopheles prestige class in the 3e Book of Vile Darkness. I mostly remember it because it appeared in one of those webcomics that was almost certainly the artist drawing their DnD campaign. If I were betting, I'd say she was the Half-Dragon Cleric. She's moved on to Widdershins, now.

http://www.darkencomic.com/

Regardless, the big thing that PrC had was the ability to ignore fire resistance and immunity, which you absolutely NEED to give a player in order to allow them to play a fire mage. Fire Dragonborn are fine, because fire is both the most common damage type and the most common damage resistance, meaning that if you're not getting your mileage out of your breath weapon you're getting it out of the resistance. But if you let a player in your campaign play a mage with Burning Hands, Scorching Ray and Fireball then you're setting them up for disappointment if you play the monsters as written.
>>
>>54689383
Awesome. I was worried I couldn't cast any spells or cantrips. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>54688555
Consider a Sorceor multiclass into Pheonix Sorcerer.
>>
>>54689481
No problem, but I'd also recommend reading the book
>>
>>54688787
Wouldn't the best form a dracolich be like, a wizard who uses the skeletal remains of a dragon to turn into a dracolich? That's what I was brewing as a villian
>>
>>54689541
You mean just a regular wizard who says
>fuck this, if i'm gonna be undead, i might as well be an undead DRAGON!
?
I'd play it.
>>
>>54689541
That makes a bit more sense, particularly if it was a draconic sorcerer lich seeking to 'upgrade'.

Reading the dracolich entry just makes the normal motives they give weird though. Only really narcissistic dragons do it, but also the only way to do it is to entrust your soul to a bunch of puny human mages? That doesn't really add up.

Personally, I'd still rather have skeletal dragons simply by animated bones of particularly dangerous size/strength, and use Shadow dragons if I need a dragon obsessed with dark powers.
>>
>>54689610
>>54689630
Right? I see the dragon form as a mech upgrade to his body. Or even a normal lich building a newer, better body to transition into.

Honestly I don't think there's anything that confrims dragons are immortal, so it isn't that strange to me that a dragon, being long lived and powerful, would be all that abject to becoming a dracolich anyway. I'd just change that they're doing it not some humons
>>
>>54689680
I think part of the issue is that spellcasting dragons are a variant, so having the default method of dracolichdom be done by the dragons causes some fluff issues.
>>
>>54689717
Well, maybe you tinker with it and have it be not magic casted, but perhaps a ritual of some sort, requiring materials to be gathered by a dragon. I think a dracolich or at least a dragon that wants such a thing would need followers searching for items. I think of all the strange things, a dracolich isn't that strange.
>>
>>54689753
I'm just trying to think of why they needed that specific caveat/explanation, and that's what made the most sense to me.

Hell, MOST dragons in my games are spell casters, and the ones that aren't are either young, surround themselves with minions, or get some other buffs.
>>
>>54688549
Yeah it does seem like a colossal amount of faith to place in one a group of mortals not even one
Two mortals who are more then likely strong enough to kill you
And you dont really gain anything from it
Dracoliches seem very weird if you ever think about how one could be made with permission
I forgot that it needed cooperation i assumed a bunch of necromancers dicked on a dragon and raised it up as a powerful pawn
>>
Religious Barbarian anon here, anyone got good art for one?
>>
>>54689680
Eh, I guess it's part of my preference, since the only dragons that would be concerned about dying from age would be super ancient, and a setting shouldn't have that many super ancient dragons anyway. Even if dragons only live 10,000 years, there shouldn't be a ton of 9000 year old dragons lying around.

Plus, it feels like an ancient dragon would have more success trying to True Polymorph itself into a young or adult dragon and then simply lying low.
>>
>>54688637
Im forced to side with you (not the guy from before)
Only because i assume the levels of commitment a monk undergoes is as extensive if not slightly less or more as a cleric goes through when convincing a god he is worthy of power
So how the fuck do monks happen?
people who would rather pray to the much more distant and less involved elemental's then nature? or even just any god in existence?
Feels like monks come out of a respect of elemental's over gods
How in the fuck does somebody uncover that shit far before they uncover d&d religion with gods granting blessings and miracles to their clerics
>>
>>54689810
Clerics, typically, are lifelong priests that espouse their gods will and are granted powers for their faith.

Monks are masters of their own mind and body, allowing them to push beyond normal limits and unlock secrets of the self.
>>
>>54688787
im like half sure their is a dragon god of the undead or some shit that was a dracolich it self in a previous edition
Dont quote me on it though
>>
>>54689810
because they are raised that way.
they have a buddhist zen type master or some shit.
why do monks exist in our world?
>>
>>54689779
Crusader types really fit the bill on a lot of levels thematically, but I doubt you'll find much of that featuring an unarmored dude
>>54689794
I'm pretty sure the only things that can make a character younger RAW aside from magic items are just the reincarnate spell and clone (but as far as I know neither really are meant to be used by dragons in the first place, so it's not impossible to say that they just outright wouldn't work outright).
>>
Can the Mystic's Brute Strike discipline crit?
>>
>>54689860
Does it roll against armor class to hit?
>>
>>54689877
It's an addition to the weapon attack.
"As a bonus action, you gain a bonus to your next damage roll against a target you hit with a melee attack during the current turn. The bonus equals +1d6 per psi point spent, and the bonus damage is the same type as the attack. If the attack has more than one damage type, you choose which one to use for the bonus damage."
>>
>>54689902
>>54689860
Yes, if the attack that gets the extra damage crits, the bonus damage is multiplied.
>>
>>54689860
Yes just as lethal strike and hunter's mark can.
>>
>>54689914
>>54689918
Delicious. Lovely to know I can just fucking vaporize someone if I were to grab Hex from Magic Initiate or something and crit on an attack.

I don't know if I should even be taking the discipline on my support slut Avatar admittedly, but I've gotten all the Avatar disciplines I want, and I can't think of anything else.
>>
What's a reasonable damage amount in a turn expected from a level 5 character in order to break out of a swallow effect?
Right now i have it at 20, but i think that might be too high.
>>
>>54690022
A 5th-level character could definitely pull off 20 damage in a turn without any resources, but if you're blinded/restrained inside it'll be hard.
>>
File: Void Fish.png (185KB, 464x1613px) Image search: [Google]
Void Fish.png
185KB, 464x1613px
>>54690042
It IS supposed to be a boss monster, but i'm worried that specific classes simply couldn't deal that much damage. Luckily i don't have to worry about a bard, since they'd be the worst off, but maybe i should drop it to 15, or even 10.

Fuck it, here is the monster where i have it right now.
>>
>>54689773
Maybe it's just an alternative punishment to straight up slaying that bitch. He'll say yes or he'll be dead.
>>
>>54690076
Still dont dragons have like a dragon heaven?
Sell your soul to necromancers to live eternally as pawns
Doesnt sound right
>>
>>54690142
Tiamat is stuck in the abyss, so i can't imagine her afterlife being a paradise.
>>
>>54690164
I guess then the idea "kinda" makes sense
Good dragons would just say fuck it if they are dying its time to go with bahamut into dragon heaven
the evil dragons however would sell their life in hopes one day their necromantic master dies and they can be free agian
>>
>>54689957
Yes. But you also need two turns to pull it off, since both of those features require a bonus action.
>>
>>54690216
Well if he's relying on a crit to pull this off then I think it's safe to assume more than one turn
>>
>>54688270
>The dracolich. What are your thoughts on this monster?
I like, but not necessarily exactly as writen in MM. For me they are the end-tier of evil, magically inclined dragons, and most importantly they do the lichdom ritual on their own.
>>
>>54690216
I don't think I'll actually bother doing something like that, I'll be happy with my booming blade+brute strike+weapon damage.

Just something silly to think of.
>>
>>54690249
I really do have to ask if there are any other methods of getting the secrets to lichdom
There is vecna's book which is basically just vecnas floating hand of influence that he guides where ever the fuck he wants after the person he sent it to has "learned enough"
Vecna himself has the secrets and would share them i assume in return for a binding contract of servitude
and orcus but that seems akin to attempting to talk a insane person into giving you their bank account number, Would probably result in more servitude
And then what else?
Other liches i guess but they most likely would burn all the books they keep on the secrets of it because if they write it down it can be stolen or divined, and their are few if any reasons for a lich to sell his trade secret to a mortal
All of those seem as impossible (if not more in some cases) to pull off as a dragon
>>
>>54690186
I've heard of dragons native to outer planes (like rust dragons on Acheron), but off the top of my head I can't think of many examples of dragons in any of the various afterlife locations that got there by dying. That's probably more a matter of my own ignorance than anything though
>>
>>54690293
Yeah but dragons do have souls so were the fuck do they go?
Does bahamut or tiamat reabsorb them or something?
>>
>>54690285
If you assume dragons are spellcasters, there isn't anything a regular wizard/lich can do that a dragon wouldn't be able to. So they learn about turning into dracoliches the same way as regular liches learn about their ritual.

You can give it a more sinister spin though: the dragon enslaves a weaker dragon and forces it to breed. Then it experiments on it's own children, and after the ritual finally works, murders the child-dracolich, destroys the phylactery and attempts the ritual on itself.
>>
Are there any magic item glaives or halberds in the game?
>>
>>54690405
I don't think there are any specific ones in the DMG at least.
>>
>>54689779
What about a tattooed barbarian? Seems like an easy thing to search for. You won't find specific holy iconography, but you will find burly dudes with symbols on them.
>>
>>54690412
damn :(
>>
>>54690444
There are a lot of magic weapons in the DMG that say the item can be any melee weapon, and some that say any melee weapon that deals slashing damage. These items could be glaives or halberds if your DM chooses.
>>
what's the best build for a polearm fighter /tg/?

race/spread?
champion or battlemaster?
feats?
>>
>>54690070
At a glance, I'm a bit concerned about its mobility. Its max speed (barring its limited Legendary Actions) is 40ft, but the average adventurer can move at 60ft. The context of the fight against it is going to mean a lot, since the party can just jog away from it and they're safe once they get out of the 60ft reach of its ray attack.

What situation are the players going to encounter this thing in? And does any of them have a character who's handy with a longbow? When designing bosses, fear the anticlimax.
>>
>>54689810
Monks are basically Fighters who decided to git gud at using their body. Sadly the magical power of the body doesn't like stuff touching it or some shit so they can't use real weapons or armour.

>>54688605
It's because of the Wizard spell pinching and awful fluff. The fact they can put Necromancer Wizards to shame and Counterspell for days just makes them even more retarded when you consider the fact they can also pick all the broken as shit Mystic stuff.

Really the Mystic is doing alright, but needs a fair bit of a nerfing over quite a few abilities that they've said they plan to do. My big issue is that it combined the fluff of a bunch of different Psionics and said "There you go, that's a Psionics User".

I would've liked it split over 2-3 classes. One focused on the more Telekinesis/Elemental fuckery, one focused on the Mental/Psychic stuff and another for the Melee ones.
>>
>>54688936
I personally stick to Text only because I've got a stutter, so far it's going good though. The DM might not be able to make people's voices sound different but it makes it easier to focus on the game.
>>
>>54690524
Bugbear Tunnel Fighter Eldritch Knight with Pole arm mastery, sentinel, Great weapon master, and make sure to take ENLARGE
>>
>>54690524
Depends on the level.
That said, BM and feat order should be PAM, GWM, sent if you want sent.
>>
>>54690524
Polearm Fighter is pretty much defined by how good those two acronym feats are, so you might as well name your character Gwmpam or Pamgwm and play a variant human so you can have both by level 4.

No guarantee you'll even get to level 6, but it's not as farfetched as level 12 so you might grab a more exotic race. Personally, I like Goliath Fighter as the guy who just never runs out of hit points.

Always pick Battlemaster. It's more complicated, but if you're thinking about builds then you probably don't mind. It's just more fun as an option than the Champion, Mr "I attack".
>>
>>54690524
Take PAM, take GWM if you feel like playing a more savage less disciplined character and then pick anything.

Really it's impossible to fuck this up as long as you take PAM. I'd probably go Knight for fun or Monster Hunter for raw power.
>>
Playing a vengeance polearm mastery pally with battle master fighter fluffed as a witch hunter with that anti mage feat, a light cleric that creates a lot of zombies for a holy man and a lore bard. That feel when my pally must in character keep an eye on the bard to stop them doing shit that could get us all killed.
>>
>>54690662
That's the bard's job though. Also getting yourselves unkilled through even more elaborate and insane bullshit.
>>
>>54688538
Technically no, so it can't be used for TWF and would qualify for any fighting styles. Officially, ask your DM.
>>
>Can't use curses as a plot point because the party can cast 3rd level spells
Fuck magic
>>
>>54690894
>The curse's power is so great that it can only be broken by Remove Curse cast at Xth level.
There you go.
>>
>>54690894
make it a bitchin magic item with curse for tradeoffs, or just make it otherwise unable to be removed mundanely.
>>
Bladesong lasts one minute. What are some good one minute songs?
>>
>>54690894
So don't be such a pansy with the rules and have it work differently for your definitely real and actually happening campaign that isn't an excuse to complain about the rules of a game you aren't playing.

Specifically, call whatever's happening to turn the princess into a striga or whatever a malediction or a noroi or a DOUBLECURSE, so your players know what they're about to see isn't in the PHB, then let them go fairy tale logic in order to break it. Sometimes curing a disease isn't as simple as casting Cure Disease. As long as sometimes it is that simple, and you let your players feel awesome when it is that simple, they won't feel cheated when it isn't.

You know, your players who you definitely have, for that game you're running.

Don't forget to defend yourself against that accusation, wouldn't want to lose face when you're posting as Anonymous.
>>
>>54690941
It's 1:14 but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2SXcXPLwgs
>>
Question about CoS
There is no full sunlight right? I was running a few vampire spawn the ones in the coffin makers house and the players forced some of them outside during the day. They still regen/dont take damage right? I wasnt sure, so I removed the regen but didnt take damage
>>
>>54691012
Barovian daylight is bright light, yet it isn’t considered sunlight for the purpose of effects and vulnerabilities, such as a vampire’s, tied to sunlight.
>>
>>54690941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wytqqfzC5E8
>>
Rate these Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade like spells for a class that has War Magic, or anyone for that matter.
>>
>>54689860
The better/followup question is "can you use brute strike after you hit but before rolling damage?"
>>
>>54690070
I think the breakout damage is for higher level characters to use when this thing is no longer a scary boss fight.
>>
>>54690941
https://youtu.be/wBMIA2jvc1A
>>
So I'm thinking of doing an Eldritch Knight with a dip in Bladesinger to try and capture the old Bladesinger style. Would Bladesinger 2/EK X be the best way to do this? Or maybe EK 7/Bladesinger X?
>>
>>54691152
"Can I use a bonus action during an attack action to retroactively buff my previous attack with something that empowers my next attack?"
yeah nah
>>
>>54690535
>would've liked it split over 2-3 classes. One focused on the more Telekinesis/Elemental fuckery, one focused on the Mental/Psychic stuff and another for the Melee ones.
But it's all classically psionic piwers. They could be separated more, like cleric domains, but they're using the cleric's basic framework already.
>>
>>54691203
AT/Bladesinger works a lot better. You don't lose out on blade cantrips when you attack.
>>
>>54691607
Yes but it feels weird the "Mystic who focused on manipulating the mind" can just go and pick up melee powers.

If Wizards combined literally every spellcaster and said "well it's all classically magical powers" then people would pissed. I'm not a huge fan of Psionics but I want it to be treated equally to other things and mashing it into a giant build-a-bear class is so wrong from a balance and fluff stance.
>>
>>54691652
>If Wizards combined literally every spellcaster and said "well it's all classically magical powers" then people would pissed

This is literally my main problem with wizards.
>>
>>54691681
He means if wizard/druid/cleric/bard were just wizard
>>
>>54691652

>If Wizards combined literally every spellcaster

Don't wizards get access to the melee spells?
>>
What are your favorite magic items of each rarity?

I like the boots of speed or whatever it's called.
>>
are the duergars enlarge and invisibility spell like abilities?
>>
>>54691883
They sure sound like spells.
>>
>>54691883
They're spells, there are no SLAs in 5e.
>>
File: tumblr_om4z3eIGjJ1qldlmoo1_1280.jpg (299KB, 1267x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_om4z3eIGjJ1qldlmoo1_1280.jpg
299KB, 1267x1920px
For all of you Rogue players out there who don't know of ways to get Sneak Attack two times per round allow me to list a few ways in which you can. Remember Sneak Attack is once per turn, not once per round. (On your turn and another's turn)

>Attacks of Opportunity
>Have the Sentinel Feat and an ally is attacked within 5 feet of you, you can make a melee attack against them.
>Have the Mage Slayer Feat and a spellcaster cast a spell within 5 feet of you, you can make a melee attack against them.
>While Hasted, attack using your Hasted action and ready your action to attack on another person's turn.
>If you are also a Fighter use your action surge feature and ready your action to attack on another person's turn.
>If you are a Battle Master/ have the Feat Martial Adept and you have the Riposte Maneuver you can make a melee attack if someone misses you with a melee attack.
>If you are a Path of Berserker Barbarian and you have the Retaliation feature and someone deals damage to you while within 5 feet of you, you can make a melee attack against them

I think I got them all, add to the list if I missed anything anons.
>>
>>54689449
What the fuck is mouse 4
There's only three buttons on a mouse
>>
File: windsoul.png (136KB, 328x188px) Image search: [Google]
windsoul.png
136KB, 328x188px
Does this ability gives you the power to fly?
>>
File: g600-gaming-mouse-images[1].png (69KB, 521x342px) Image search: [Google]
g600-gaming-mouse-images[1].png
69KB, 521x342px
>>54691918
>>
>>54691935
Yes. Yes it does.
>>
>>54691946
Thanks
>>
>>54688294
>>54688310
>>54688320
>Even as long-lived as they are, all dragons must eventually die.
Dragons don't cast in 5E...
Do you people even play the same game?
>>
>>54691936
Why the fuck would I want that
I have more buttons than fingers right in front of me plus I use a laptop
>>
>>54692037
>and I use a laptop
Then stop complaining about hobbies you don't take part in?
>>
Why is Out of the Abyss so good?
>>
>>54689326
>magic shop

You've already failed.
>>
>>54692030
>Dragons don't cast in 5E
ACTUALLY...
>>
File: Fey'ri.jpg (102KB, 400x417px) Image search: [Google]
Fey'ri.jpg
102KB, 400x417px
>>54691108
Arcing Arrow might be a bit slow to actually play, since you have to wait and see if you succeed and then roll again if you didn't. Vortex Dart is even worse, since it could potentially trigger a whole series of extra rolls. Fungal Bloom is also relatively complicated for an At-Will, which is essentially what these are. Whisper it, but I liked 4e as well. I think a good attack cantrip should only ever require one roll, whether that's a single attack roll or a single saving throw. (Glaring at you, Eldritch Blast.)

All that said, I do wonder about these spells. They're essentially just better Attack actions for any character that has War Magic or doesn't have the Extra Attack action. That's true of Green-flame Blade and Booming Blade as well, but it doesn't mean that it's not power creep. The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide seems to be full of it, with the at-will flight Tieflings and the AC limit breaking Bladesinger.

Any GMs here that feel iffy about the SCAG? I wouldn't ban the thing entirely, but I've read it; I can see a GM who hadn't read it saying "core only" if I brought them a winged Tiefling Bladesinger.

>Nah, dude, it's totally Faerun-legal because he's a Fey'ri. Look it up. Also I have Disguise Self at will because it fits my character.
>>
File: 25990-30295-23015.jpg (88KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
25990-30295-23015.jpg
88KB, 960x720px
>>54691761
>>
File: Rocktopus.jpg (104KB, 842x948px) Image search: [Google]
Rocktopus.jpg
104KB, 842x948px
>>54692143
It's really fucking good.

I think it's because it combines the best parts of railroad campaigns + funhouse dungeons with the best plot ever.
>>
File: RTFM.jpg (62KB, 497x471px) Image search: [Google]
RTFM.jpg
62KB, 497x471px
>>54692030
MM p86, in all its janky OCR glory

VARIANT: DRAGONS AS INNATE SPELLCASTERS
Dragons are innately magical creatures that can master a few
spells as they age, using this variant.
A young or older dragon can innately cast a number of
spells equal to its Charisma modifier. Each spell can be cast
once per day, requiring no material components, and the
spell's level can be no higher than one-third the dragon's
challenge rating (rounded down). The dragon's bonus to
hit with spell attacks is equal to its proficiency bonus+ its
Charisma bonus. The dragon's spell save DC equals 8 +its
proficiency bonus + its Charisma modifier.

But in all seriousness, no, we don't play the same game. If your GM wants dragons to cast spells, they do. If your GM thinks vampires should be able to walk in daylight and don't have to be evil, take note of the nearest exit but don't actually make a break for it until the DMPC arrives.
>>
>>54690941
You do know that a spell that lasts one minute is actually about ten rounds of combat, not one minute IRL.
>>
How much of an undead presence is in Out of the Abyss?
>>
File: 1491473001801.png (71KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1491473001801.png
71KB, 900x900px
>Party easily takes down a bandit ambush.
>Two surrender, one of the surrendering bandits is murdered anyway by one of my party members.
>I protect and heal the last one, but only enough to keep him from dying from his wounds.
>Drag him with us, I won't kill him but I'll make sure he turns himself in at the nearest opportunity.
>Get into another fight before said opportunity arises.
>He tries to save my life during it while still badly wounded himself.
>Can't bring myself to turn him in when our journey finally reaches its end, let him stay with me.
>While talking with the DM post-session, he says he wouldn't have an issue with me keeping him, he'd even make the guy a character sheet.

I got a pet lads.
>>
>>54691208
You can use a bonus action at any time on your turn of its timing is not otherwise specified, and read Brute Strike again. It says your next damage roll, not your next attack or next hit.
>>
>>54691652
>Mystic who focused on manipulating the mind" can just go and pick up melee powers.
That is often how psychic powers work. "If you have one, you should be able to learn others." Other times they're natural gifts like mutant powers and you get what you get, but that's more sorcerer's fluff.
>>
>>54691911
If someone in your party is a BM with commander's strike or PDK, they can let you make an attack as a reaction. Or is your list supposed to be self-only stuff?
>>
>>54692825
Not much, it's mostly demons.
>>
File: Stool.png (95KB, 259x317px) Image search: [Google]
Stool.png
95KB, 259x317px
>>54692902
Well that's precious as fuck mate, I'm happy for you.

Pic related, it's my last pet. Stool is a previous baby.
>>
>>54692551
SCAG stuff wasn't all playtested the same way, and it shows.
>>
>>54693056
PRECIOUS GOD DAMN IT
>>
>>54692902
I'm in a very similiar situation. I recently became a baron, and made the bandit we've dragged with ourselves for past fifteen sessions my seneshal.
>>
>>54693056
Not him, but I'm trying to make Stool my pet. He's having none of it. Doesn't help that I'm a warlock.
>>
>>54691108
I think Arcing Arrow is okay in terms of flow but not in terms of damage output. I think it should only do 1d6 not 1d8 at the range it sits at. Same thing with Rime Strike except that one cuts your movement speed in half for a cantrip which is pretty ridiculous.

Spell Shattering Strike can be really powerful if it hits a concentrating caster if it's not a concentrating caster then Booming Blade is a better option.

>>54692551
>Any GMs feel iffy about the SCAG?
No not really the Variants are a nice touch, and nothing really comes off as overpowered as far as I can tell.
>>
>>54693094
Aw bummer, man. That's shit. The adventure guide actually says he'll tag along with you and love you if you're nice to him, not sure what your DM's deal is.

I was a light cleric of Pelor, he should have fuckin' hated me. But we got along great. He lived in my backpack for the whole game. Ended up taking a level in druid.
>>
File: The Cuddle Lord.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Cuddle Lord.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54692902
>>54693056
That's pretty cute anons, but not quite as cute as Snuggle Ram.
>>
>>54693135
Nah, it's all good, I'm playing a skivvy character and it's good the DM isn't making Stool act out of the character.
Although your situation was pretty fucking adorable. I might have to use your idea of having him live in my backpack.
>>
>>54693182
Wat.
>>
>>54693258
Yes, anon it's a creature of hopping and hugs. It is so cute that when it gets hurt others get angry and want to kill the thing that hurt it.
>>
>>54693243
That is to say skevvy* character.
>>
>>54693182
>>54693258
>>54693362
Honestly, it's not a terrible homebrew. The only thing I'd get rid of is the total overall damage resistance at 12th level.
>>
>>54690436
I love the story the tattoos on his chest are telling.
>>
>>54694191
I wonder if pic related could be done in a TTRPG. It would be pretty boss.
I guess my character could just get a tattoo every time he does something, but having them appear naturally is more fun.
>>
>>54691911
Multiclass to something that can pick up Tunnel Fighter if the UA's allowed. Sneak attacks for DAYS.
>>
>>54691935
>you gain a flying speed
does I fly tho
>>
File: 1487860723662.jpg (129KB, 1069x748px) Image search: [Google]
1487860723662.jpg
129KB, 1069x748px
>>54692902
I get bored of giving my players gold and magical items, and every time I give them art items they think it's something incredibly important, so I've steered away from it. Instead, I've been giving them pets... so far they've had an imp (died on purpose to escape the contract), a bone dog (doesn't follow orders, just follows the party around), and attached, which I saw as an image online and shoved into the game because I needed something to fill a box.
>>
>>54694693
Maui was brought up as a character concept a few times on /5eg/. Check the archive and you might find something.
>>
Could you use Contact Other Plane to communicate with a PC in another plane?
I know that it's not RAW at all, but it makes sense to me that you could.
>>
>>54694861
You're welcome.
>>
>>54690444
>take the sunsword
>make it a sunhalberd

You're only ever limited to your imagination with magic items.

Speaking of magic items, is there a higher level version of http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php ?
>>
>>54695145
My fisherman barbarian asked a marid (water genie) to enchant his axe, so he got an Axe of Fish Command.
>>
>>54693649
An AC calculation of 13 + dex + cha is pretty bad. I stopped reading after that point assuming it was more of the same though
>>
>>54688310
Dragons are not inherently immortal.
>>
>>54690405
No, PAM fags don't deserve magic weapons
>>
Anyone know of any decent homebrew rules that remove Wild Magic surges from the DM's whim?
>>
>>54695407
Roll a d20 on every non-cantrip spell they cast. On a 1, trigger wild magic.

After Tides of Chaos is used, trigger wild magic on a 5 or lower.
>>
>>54688270
>The dracolich. What are your thoughts on this monster?
That illithids can make braineater dragons, and certain heretic illithids can practice necromancy and become liches called alhoons.

I want to see an alhoon dragon.
>>
File: DariaFire.gif (495KB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
DariaFire.gif
495KB, 480x362px
>>54695317
The only thing PAM fags deserve is death.
>>
>>54695519
Alhoon lich dragon
>>
>>54694812
Apparently yes according to >>54691946
>>
Why are variant encumbrance rules so shit? You're guaranteed to have at least 1 stage of encumbrance with just your starting gear on level 1, and that's as a fucking warrior.
>>
>>54695223
I must've missed that. Let me rephrase then: I like the concept of the subclass, but would need to rework it, because it's broken in it's current state.
>>
>>54695524
Why?
>>
Minor Conjuration says
>you can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object in your hand or on the ground in an unoccupied space within 10 feet of you

my question is, can a deck of cards be considered "an object", or is it many objects? what about a chess set? or a cup full of dice?
>>
>>54696388
RAW a single chess piece is a single object. Not sure about RAI.
>>
>>54696388
Feel like this is pretty heavy 'talk to your GM' thing. I would agree with other anon that RAW, no, that's several objects. But I would likely be persuaded to be okay conjuring "simple" objects in groups like that.
>>
File: FaceOnDesk.gif (608KB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
FaceOnDesk.gif
608KB, 375x211px
>playing d&d at flgs/cafe
>find out one of the rules is buying something from the store gets you a free reroll
>mfw d&d is now pay to win
>>
How much control do you have over the fine working of objects conjured with Minor Conjuration? Could I conjure a weighted die?
>>
>>54696548
Probably, but at the same time it's probably easier to just by a weighted die and use cantrip to sneak it in
>>
>>54696472
but I could use it to summon a weapon like a sword or hand axe right?

what about a crossbow, assuming I have the ammunition to load it?
>>
Rolled 26 (1d100)

>>
>>54696520
Why would you go on the internet and lie?
>>
>>54696548
>conjure weighted die
>win a few rounds of dice
>immediately get questioned on your obviously magical glowing die
>get run out of town

good thinking anon
>>
>>54696548
Yes, but its also an OBVIOUSLY MAGICAL ITEM - so you're going to be like "hey guys lets use my totally not suspicious glowing magical dice for this that seem to work in my favor". It doesn't pass as mundane.

>>54696631
If it takes damage, it vanishes. If it deals damage, it vanishes. I believe it actually vanishes during the attack (so it vanishes before it deals damage), but I cannot recall at the moment.

So you can threaten someone with your magic item, but you cannot attack with it. OR some DM's may let you attack with it, but the item then immediately vanishes.
>>
>>54696655
Is that really so unbelievable?
>>
>>54696708
the conjured item last until it takes damage, the spell ends, or the spell is re-cast

RAW, weapons never "take damage", neither does armor, unless somebody uses the attack action against that object specifically

so RAW, you can make shields, weapons, breastplates, etc. Obviously no DM would actually allow stupid shit like that, but RAW it's perfectly legal.
>>
Hello, D&D noob here. I want to convert an NPC from another setting into 5e, and I would like suggestions and tips. If anyone is willing to help, please tell me.
>>
>>54696808
You know, not mentioning the setting is going to make it pretty fuck-hard to figure that out.
>>
What is the minimum number of players for you to enjoy a game? I think 5-6 is the sweet spot, DM'ing for 3 people just feels weird to me
>>
>>54696808
5e is pretty transparent with their guidelines for making NPCs or whatever. Without actually giving details there's really no help to give though
>>
>>54696823
I was testing the waters. I figured I should see if anyone cares before giving more details. The setting is Chronicles Of Darkness and the NPC can be found here:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/1120200-new-horror-little-morpheus
>>
>>54696824
I would prefer 3-4 range. Maybe 5 *MAX*.Currently we have like 7 goddamned players, which is only helped by one of them being someone who works out of town a hell of a lot, so they play a temporally displaced minotaur who essentially pops in and out of reality as needed.

Which would be a lot more interesting if we, I don't know, ever had a chance to roleplay. Ever.

Seven people sucks for that.
>>
>>54696824
If you have active enough players I'd say 3-4. Otherwise 5-6
>>
>>54696824
I'm a rich shut-in white kid in a third world brown shithole, so I will ever only get to play with the same two other pasty losers like myself, one being the DM. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.
>>
>>54696877
>Being racist
>Complaining about lack of players
You have only yourself to blame, really.
>>
>>54696891
Possibly. I'm too far detached from reality at this point to realize how to change.
>>
>>54696877
Just .. Play online?

I've liked my online games far more than my in person game, so far, the upside is in person I can fuck the other players I suppose.

Also, going for post D&D beers occasionally.
>>
>>54696853
So a quick skimming over it makes it seem like he's basically Freddy Kruger meets Peter Pan.
>>
>>54696911
Fuck other players, as in, having sex with them, or as in, destroy their game?
>>
>>54688270
To repent for the namefagging in this thread I am offering up my expertise.

Anyone want some custom homebrew for your campaign? Hit me up.
>>
>>54696909
Realizing you need help is the first step in getting help
>>
File: 1492175936114.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1492175936114.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
>>54697099
I wasn't complaining.
>>
>>54696956
Way more Peter Pan than Freddy Krueger. What might his sheet look like in 5e D&D, in your opinion?
>>
>>54697098

Can you please offer some suggestions and tips on how to convert >>54696853 to D&D 5e?
>>
>>54697087
Have sex with them. I'm sleeping with our Bard - this definitely makes post D&D more fun. Sadly the other people are in a relationship, but, hey.

Destroying the game just sounds like a dick move. Not about that.
>>
>>54696854
But with 5 players you can have many story arcs and overlapping plot lines etcetc. when there are 3 people and their story lines are totally different it barely feels like a D&D game to me
>>
>>54697087
Definitely sounds like Anon is talking about sex.
Which isn't too strange, even. One of my players is an occasional friends-with-benefits. Definitely not "DM's girlfriend" though because I have literally no reason or desire to show her favoritism.
>>
>>54697145
Technically having sex with a player is more of a dick move than destroying their game.
>>
>>54697155
Literally all that takes is some form of session zero, or the smallest effort to unify the party in some fashion. Work the story lines you want to use into the game - if peoples story lines don't fit, it doesn't matter if you have three or five or nine.

>>54697162
Technically correct, which as we know, is the best kind of correct.
>>
>>54697162
I comprehended that which you endeavored to accomplish
>>
>>54695722
Fix to 10+DEX+CHA and we're good.
>>
I'm playing a vengeance paladin at the moment and a friend is playing a dwarf gunslinger, he's a bount hunter, and only fares about gold. At the moment we have a member of a bandit group captured and he wants to torture him to find out where his friends are, as a good character I'm against the idea of torture but he says he will do it regardless. What do i do? How far do i take it to protect this prisoner? Do vengeance pallys care about torture?
>>
Do the damage dice from Divine Smite get doubled on a crit, or does the extra damage get applied after the crit is resolved?
>>
>>54697308
>Do vengeance pallys care about torture?
Depends on the paladin.

What you've got is a classic case of conflict within the party that happens all the time to basically everyone. You're going to have to either talk it out in-character, or if that doesn't work discuss it out-of-character, because if in-character talks break down they could lead to in-character violence, which is not typically desirable.
It's a messy situation and I personally haven't been able to solve it very effectively. I hope other anons can chime in.
>>
>>54697308
first off
>dwarf gunslinger
cancer

second
>cast zone of truth on yourself, dwarf, and bandit
>"now listen, I'm not a big fan of the whole torture thing. But we need to know where your buddies are hiding. We'll know if you're lying, so you might as well give them up, right? Of course, you could always just remain silent. But this dwarf over here has a real hankering for that gold you guys have been stealing, and I don't know that I could stop him from getting the information the hard way
>roll persuasion with advantage
>???
>profit
>>
>>54697308
>What do i do?
Kill the dwarf
>>
>>54697308

>By Any Means Necessary. My qualms can't get in the way of exterminating my foes.

I believe the Oath of Vengeance covers that sort of thing, but your character needn't necessarily approve.
>>
>>54697308
Vengeance was probably made at least partially with edgy paladins in mind, but that's no reason to not be consistent with how your character should act.
Also fuck the concept of a gunslinger class. A class that revolves around equipment that has no real reason it can't be used by other people makes no sense
>>
>>54697409
All damage dice is doubled on a critical hit. You're attaching it to an attack, not making a new attack. There's a reason people wait for crits to smite.
>>
>>54688270
Where do you guys get your minis? I'm looking for bulk and cheap.
>>
File: 1501091296930.png (73KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1501091296930.png
73KB, 184x184px
Hey /tg/ anons, one of my really good friends (who I am a player with at my local comic book shop) will be a player in my campaign and we both have relatively the same experience level, he plays in 2 other groups and the one I will be DMing will be his 3rd but the only problem is he wants to play an evil warlock. His whole thing is he wants to go to the abyss but as a first time DM, I don't want to tailor a campaign for that and would much rather do generic stuff. The other players in the group are 2 unexperienced who have never played, one who has dabbled occasionally but never too seriously, and one who plays in the campaign at my local shop. I'm kinda convinced that because he's not a first time player he just wants to play whacky shit and I can't help but feel like he's gonna mess up the campaign. What do? I don't want to exclude him and I feel like I take away from the game if I say "no you can't do that"
>>
File: IMG_20170726_113325.jpg (3MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170726_113325.jpg
3MB, 4048x3036px
>>54697582
Miniature market, the days of cheap minis are done, however you can get the boardgames for d&d for a great collection and order singles of the boardgame pieces. Pic related, my collection.
>>
>>54697514
>A class that revolves around equipment that has no real reason it can't be used by other people makes no sense
Isn't the concept of a gunslinger to be a person who's able to get more out of guns than any other class? Because I'm pretty sure you'd be able to make the equipment argument about Fighters, since they revolve around using equipment in a way most others cannot.
>>
>>54697646
are those blue ones from risk?
>>
>>54697629
Going to the Abyss is not something you do at lower levels anyway. You can do it much later on, and it's okay to focus on him for a bit if everybody else also gets personal quests and everybody helps everybody.
>>
>>54697697
Nope, they're Wrath of Ashardalon minis
>>
>>54697650
What? No, fighters can use any weapon and armor. A better equivalent is if there were a blademaster class, which there isn't, and for a good reason.
If you want to master weapons, you play a fighter. If you want to gunsling, literally just play a battlemaster.
>>
>>54697650
Gunslinger makes as much sense as there being a sword-swinger class that gets more out of swords. Fighters have a much more open concept than that. Gunslinger at best should either be a fighter subclass, or a ranger one if they wanted it to be more of a cowboy thing
>>
>>54696792
Read the errata, fag
The conjured item disappears if it deals damage
>>
>>54697710
I didn't make it clear but my concern was him being the only evil player as well. Why would a party of good heroes aid an evil warlock in getting to the abyss?
>>
>>54697821
Depends why he wants to go there.
>>
>>54697745
It shouldn't even be a subclass. If it exists at all, it should be just another ranged weapon that people can use. AD&D and onward taught ayers that they have to specialize to get ahead, but restricting yourself to a single weapon is not fun because it's monotonous and it means you can't use the vast majority of magic weapons you find.
>>
>>54697913
>but restricting yourself to a single weapon is not fun because it's monotonous and it means you can't use the vast majority of magic weapons you find
Tell that to PAMfags
>>
>>54697745
>fighter subclass
Yeah, I didn't think of that. Much like Arcane Archer is it's own archetype, gunslingers should be as well.
>>
>>54697913
When I say it should be a subclass I mostly mean the themes around gun users. A musketeer theme could work without a bunch of features that are just bonuses to attack and damage
>>
>>54697940
Arcane Archer, properly done, should be usable with ALL ranged weapons. Including guns.
>>
>>54697828
So should I ask him this in session 0? If it's just evil shit should I just tell him to play neutral?
>>
While astral projecting, If your cord is cut, do you continue to wander around as a projection being that it's not a concentration spell?
>>
>>54692902
>Tfw my character is a Monster Hunter fighter from a clan of them
>We nearly get our shit kicked in by a goblin ambush when it turns out, to everyone including the goblins' surprise, that surprise! One of the goblins was actually a shapeshifting demon in goblin form from Volo's or something
>All but one of the surviving goblins run
>Everyone but my character gets their shit kicked in, down to myself and one other party member still conscious, my character constantly tripping it and shit while the other one makes sure the other two don't fucking die
>While the goblin is just peppering him with arrows and somehow hitting everything
>And eventually it's just me and him and it
>And the goblin screams out a battlecry after it's apparently run out of arrows, charges the thing with a dagger and manages to fucking kill it
>Not only is it surprised we're not killing it, but my character offers to get him in to some proper training as he thinks he has potential, possibly even induct him in to the clan as an honorary member
He's now someone else's actual character in it and I love it.
>>
>>54698151
No. If the cord is cut, you die instantly.
>>
>>54698053
If he has evil plans, tell him to keep them for another game, another day. It's not going to work out.
If he wants to topple Demogorgon for the glory of the Nine Hells, you can maybe work something out that good characters will play along with.
>>
>>54698157
It's a monster hunter, Anon, not a monster tamer.

Though cheek aside: I'm glad your party is having fun but I admit it seems a bit weird to me from the standard "monster hunter" backgrounds to go "hey monster who was traveling with a demon, from the way you killed my friends I can see you're really great at killing people. You should become a monster hunter, like me! The dude who killed your friends!"

Also, outside of that:
Has anyone had to deal with a PC that just tries to fucking tame everything? Kind of getting annoyed at a dude in my party

>Wyvern swoops in
>"I roll animal handling. It would be a sweet pet!"
>>
How to deal with non-whites wanting to play a full armor knight with a poleaxe yet he is brown as shit. I told him to play a barbarian so he can be some sort of jaguar warrior but he got offended the PC bitch.

What do?
>>
>>54698334
DESU if you use animals as enemies too often and without reason you should sort of expect this. Animals aren't murder machines. They shouldn't attack without good reason, and if the reason isn't good enough, it should be feasible to end the battle early.

>>54698417
Did you write that bait yourself or did your racist father help you with it?
>>
>>54698334
Had a PC once who thought he was a Pokemon trainer or some shit. Quickly disabused him of the notion within a few encounters and a rabies infection.
>>
>>54698417
What kind of brown? Druids use scimitars, so maybe that's more his flavor.
>>
>>54697646
Thanks I'll look into it.
>>
>>54698334
Eh. Character views them as people, if green and with a tendency to be dickish. He rolls with Tieflings just and other shit fine enough. His problem is when they cause problems for other people, he let a Weretiger go along her way once because she gave up on fighting the group and she was just working for the money as well.
Gobbo surrendered and the rest of his little gang abandoned him while we were fighting, we only killed like two of them, but eh. The goblins instantly panicked when they saw the one dude turn in to a goblin, so they clearly had no idea it was a Barghest. Don't even think he hit any of us while it was just "gobbos VS party".
And I stated more specifically that my clan was specialized more for dealing with fiends,
undead, and the life
>>
>>54698436
To update that description slightly:

>A wyvern with an armored rider swoops in.
>Monk leaps 20 feet into air via Acrobatics check
>Stunning Strikes Wyvern, so it crashes to the ground, punches rider a bunch
>Next round: "I roll animal handling, it would make a great pet!"

I kind of shake my head at this because its kind of like trying to befriend a police dog *after* you punched it; and that's ignoring the fact its a far more angry animal.

I have no problem with dissuading the animal, but it just seems really fucking silly. To be honest, think I'm mainly just griping about a dude treating it like a video game where you can just roll success and suddenly you have this pet that just obediently follows you around and no one bats an eye at. Wondering if anyone else has had to deal with weird shit like that, and what stories people have.
>>
>>54698552
And, to add, trying to befriend a large police dog after you punched it, and while actively trying to murder its handler. Right in front of it. While covered in the blood of the like eight people we killed seconds ago, who were part of the same .. Pirate gang, or something. Not entirely sure.
>>
>>54698552
>Player telling the DM what they're rolling rather than what they're doing
In addition to wanting to be a pokemon trainer, this player also doesn't understand the game.
>a dude treating it like a video game where you can just roll success and suddenly you have this pet that just obediently follows you around and no one bats an eye at
Yeah, exactly.
>>
I need a crazy setting to run a crazy game in. Give me something weird.
>>
>>54698499
Some spic anchor baby
>>
>>54698189
You die, but your spirit is already out and about; as well, dying doesn't end non-concentration spells afaik.
>>
>>54698607
Everything is made of jello
you said weird not interesting
>>
>>54698640
It's not about the spell being concentration, it's just that you die. Your spirit and body die. It's simple.
>>
>>54698642
>jello world
>not interesting
>>
>>54698607
I know exactly the setting you want.
>Neighboring cities have diametrically different cultures
>A given village might have 10+ intelligent species
>A given continent might have over a hundred of them, and most wouldn't be considered all that weird
>The world is full of incredibly powerful creatures who literally do nothing, ever
>Alignment is taken so literally that you can be a terrible person and still be considered objectively "good"
>So many official retcons that nobody knows where the metaplot is
>So many dragons per unit of area that it's a wonder wealth exists outside of their hoards
>More than 50 standard deities that somehow still have broad portfolios
It's the weirdest campaign setting but it can still work if you're willing to REALLY suspend disbelief.
>>
File: Ebberon.png (36KB, 965x647px) Image search: [Google]
Ebberon.png
36KB, 965x647px
>>54698607
Best setting walking here
>>
>>54698675
"Your soul and body are separated," it doesn't say anything about your soul dying (actually destroying a soul is a very different thing than dying.)
>>
>>54698799
"Your soul and body are separated, KILLING YOU INSTANTLY." It doesn't say anything about your body specifically dying either.

Dude, I can't explain this any more simply. If the cord is cut, you die. YOU JUST DIE. Fuck.
>>
>>54698679
>the world is jello
>nothing is sentient
>can't play anything
>the DM just goes on to list things made of jello
>>
>>54698705
>dragon hoards
That's how you fight inflation anon
>>
>>54695317
>the superior choice of weapon shouldn't have magic weapons because I'm autistic
Fixed that for you
>>
>>54697431
Any setting with plate armour but not guns is retarded, cucklord
>>
>>54698675
When you die, your soul is still alive and is still merrily travels about in other planes or wherever it is that souls go. Your soul does not die, nor is it destroyed.

For example, True Resurrection says
>You touch a creature that has been dead for no longer than 200 years and that died for any reason except old age. If the creature's soul is free and willing, the creature is restored to life with all its hit points.
>>
>>54698957
True, but any setting with guns shouldn't have a deidcated gun class. If anything, gunslingers make sense in settings where guns are rare. When they're common, every adventurer should know how to use them.

>>54698969
No, when you die, your soul is drawn to move on to its final reward, whatever it may be. A disembodied soul is not the same thing as a free-willed ghost.
Of course, this could depend on setting, but the assumption in most standard D&D settings is that if you die, your soul moves on.
>>
>>54698998
How does True Resurrection work, then?
>>
>>54699021
It calls your soul back from its eternal reward. Your soul isn't destroyed, it's just not free to roam around anymore.
Basically think of heaven. When you die, you go there, but you can still be called back. The trick is, you have to consent, and if you've been dead for too long, you stop caring enough about the mortal world to want to go back.
>>
>>54698969
>>54699021

I've always interpreted that as meaning "If your soul isn't held by something, and you're willing to be resurrected. If Asmodeous holds your soul, or its trapped in something, that's sure nifty that you want to cast True Resurrect, but it ain't going to do shit.
>>
>>54698815
I don't think you really understand what I'm trying to say, but that's fine.
>>
>>54699076
>>54699021
>>54698969
I think it's FUCKING AMAZING it's only got a 1hour cast time. I second the "free" part, lots of the afterlife mythos in settings is waiting in various purgatories so that'd be cool to res from but shit like post-city-of-judgement or wall of faithless you're gone.
>>
>>54699118
Another anon here: Pretty sure he does, it just seems daft. "You die." "Yeah but by souls not iN MY BODY, CHECKMATE." "Yeah but your soul is still sustained by your body. The tether to your body is destroyed. You're dead."

It seems really daft to argue that when it says your character dies they just mean your characters BODY dies. You can house rule it however you want, but I don't think its a reasonable assumption that that's how most people will read it, or how it was intended.
>>
>>54699197
>Death Saving Throws: Roll a d20: If the roll is 10 or higher, you succeed. Otherwise, you fail. A success or failure has no effect by itself. On your third success, you become stable (see below). On your third failure, YOU DIE.

In your mind, when you fail your 3rd death saving throw, your body dies and you soul dies too, rendering you unable to be resurrected?
>>
>>54698705
I dunno, sounds kinda sketchy
>>
>>54699521
Tell that to WotC :^)
>>
isn't all this death & dying and souls stuff up to the DM and the situation?

If you're trying to make judgements on this from raw, I'm not even sure that being "dead" by raw prevents you from becoming conscious and taking actions again
>>
>>54699197
>>54699511
If your soul is in your body, it's tethered to it and reliant on it. If your soul is not tethered to your body it's floating free for forever into astral planes and is worse than dead.
>>
>>54699511
Your mistake is that you don't understand what the soul "dying" means in the D&D sense.
It does NOT mean that it is destroyed. It means that it moves on.
A "living" soul requires a body to be tethered to, either by occupying the same space or via an astral silver cord. Without it, there's nothing keeping it around, and it "dies" - it move on to some Outer Plane, where it plays baseball with Corellon or some shit. This is what "dying" means to the soul.
When you fail your third saving throw, this is what happens. Your soul doesn't just hang around and haunt your party members. There's a reason ghosts are relatively rare.
>>
>>54699557
huh
>>
>>54699599
I'm not even sure how ghosts are POSSIBLE outside of punishment/blessing from the gods. It certainly isn't a willpower thing. Maybe a curse on the soul rather than the body could hold them/maintain itself for some period of time or something.
>>
>>54699649
That's why so many types of undead are described as still having a task left to finish or being obsessed with a particular location. It takes an incredibly strong counter-pull to prevent a soul from drifting on.
>>
>>54697466
But do you think that bandit group is his hated foes? If not, he basically gets to treat them as his conscience dictates. They aren't covered by his oath.
>>
>>54698894
>dragons taking over dwarf holds is necessary to prevent the devaluation of gold and mythril
Sounds reasonable, actually.
Shimmergloom did nothing wrong
>>
>>54699775
maybe in combination with some gods being sympathetic to their cause and cutting them slack rather than direct intervention.
>>
>>54699841
I don't think even gods can normally interfere with this process (at least not in Forgotten Realms). That's just how souls do.
Gods who are sympathetic can, of course, simply restore your body and then send your soul back to it.
>>
>>54688328
>>54688382
>>54688549
>>54689773
Dracoliches from faerun were a benefit to the dragon because not only did it better guarantee immortality, but allowed them more time and capability to research into greater magics.
For the mages who did it, they were part of a cult built around the mad ravings of one of the greatest mages to live in the current age (at least the current age back in AD&D era), where he said the world would effectively end only to be ruled by the dead dragons or some shit like that, so the cult is preparing for that day by ensuring there are enough dead dragons to rule, and that they're friends with said dragons to ensure they live as well.
>>
Would it be weird to run a mostly theater of the mind game, and use maps only for combat?
>>
>>54698029
>They're all playing Arcane Handcrossbowmen?
It'd take a Lucky Diviner to have predicted this development.
>>
>>54699890
That's how most D&D games are run as far as I know.
>>
>>54699861
But there's various gods of UNDEATH and shit so while the 'natural' process is to take the whatever death route the setting has there has to be some leeway for those other gods to exist too.
>>
>>54699890
Not at all. In fact, that's pretty standard.

>>54699897
Might be fine, depending on how the archetype is structured. And if it's fine, it would be rad.
>>
>>54699915
Only settings I know of that go into that, usually say that intelligent undead is either acquired through curses (vampirism, wights), dedication to the appropriate god (mummies, revenants), or are just unintelligent raisings without a soul actually bound to the body (zombies, skeletons)
>>
>>54699890
Why else would you need a map?
>>
File: Bombardier.pdf (183KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Bombardier.pdf
183KB, 1x1px
I know there's a homebrew thread but its dead.
what do you guys think of this rouge archetype? Made it cause I was bored and because artificer alchemist is lack luster. Any criticisms? I've never played a rogue so I'm not sure how this is balance wise. How would you change it /5eg/?
>>
>>54699915
"Undeath" refers to any process that allows either the body or the soul function without the other, or without the biological processes that normally power the body/mind combination.
You'll notice that the body existing without the soul is BY FAR the more common - zombies, skeletons, etc. Depending on the lore, even vampires are sometimes described as soulless - essentially intelligent blood-sucking machines.
Souls that operate without the body are far less common. Note that this doesn't include ghosts necessarily - a lot of ghosts aren't actually souls but just a psychic surface copy of a soul that's actually moved on. Most disembodied souls are stuff like wraiths, which are completely fucking insane and refuse to move on because of incomplete tasks and such.
AFAIK, even gods of undeath don't typically let souls run around willy-nilly, if ever.
Also >>54699974.
>>
>>54699974
>>54700016
Yeah all good points. Not all of the undead would fall under classic necromancy or even death.
>Ghost of someone who's still alive
Could happen.
>>
>>54698637
Reach deep into the past and he can roll a Breastplate-d ConquiSTRanger with PAM.

A hispanic in the United States probably has as much link to European archetypes as you do. It's not the racism that bothers me as much as the goddamn ignorance.
>>
>>54699995
* weak hand - RAW, no such thing. It's fine to let them lob bombs off-handedly, I think.

* Doesn't really make sense that bombs that explode low have bigger splash than bombs that explode high, but that's not really a rules/balance concern.

* The DC for Blinding Bomb should be 8, not 10, + prof + int

* Offhand hurl makes direct hits only do 2 more damage than splash hits. I'd remove the proficiency bonus from the splash.

Overall, it's not overpowered by any means, because bombs can't sneak attack. I think it might be workable, but do note that you're creating something with more flavor than power.

Also, consider adding an interaction ability for either level 9 or 13, as is typical for rogue archetypes.
>>
>>54699557
I recall checking that, and they've covered their bases this time. Feel free to double-check though.
>>
>>54700054
>>Ghost of someone who's still alive
Creepy and awesome. I'm totally going to use this to mess with my party.

>>54700073
>It's not the racism that bothers me as much as the goddamn ignorance.
/tg/ at its finest.
>>
>>54698417
>>54698637
(You)
>>
>>54699511
I have absolutely no idea what your stretching my stance to. Your soul 'dying' doesn't mean that you're not able to be resurrected, you're only not able to be resurrected if your soul is beyond reach (that is to say, things like 'its been way too long', 'your soul is in possession of something else', yadda yadda).

If you die, you can be resurrected. If the link between your soul and your body is cut, you die, but you can be resurrected (unless there's some specific rule against that that I'm not aware of).

When you die, you die. You can be resurrected, but you're not BETTER-dead because you died while astral projecting - you're just as dead as the dude who took an axe through the face and died. And the game mechanics for fixing that are inherently the same, with the same restrictions.
>>
>>54699890
That's how most people run games. I've been in far more games that use total theater of the mind than games that use maps, and the ones that use maps usually only use it for set pieces or combat.
>>
>>54700305
word up. we agree then. I thought you were saying your soul gets annihilated when the link is severed
>>
Looking for a good d&d show to watch (though if anybody has any non-d&d shows id be cool with those aswell) just mass suggest ill check out whatever
>>
>>54697582
>>54697646
Seconding the 4e boardgame minis. They're expensive but it's a good price overall, plus floor tiles if you don't have that covered.

I also highly recommend the new Nolzurs/DeepCuts unpainted line. They're still made of that soft shitty wizkids plastic, but the minis are nice enough, cheap enough (I think $4 US per 'pair' box), and all the hero ones come in pairs for alternate weapons or 'levelled up' looks.
>>
>>54700452
But I can't cast 6th-level spells yet
>>
File: Bombardier2.pdf (183KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Bombardier2.pdf
183KB, 1x1px
>>54700133
actually for offhand hurl i didnt mean to add any modifiers, i added that because i got in the habit of it over the course of typing it out

I agree about blinding bomb

heres a revised version without weak handedness
>>
File: 1471669793279.jpg (121KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
1471669793279.jpg
121KB, 500x393px
>>54700493
>>
>>54700509
Bump the foot DC to 8 instead of 6 (for the sake of consistency with the rest of the game). Maybe add a Sleight of hand check to plant a bomb?
>>
>>54700586
feels kinda weird to tie an ability check to a class feature. maybe require a sleight of hand check to get it as a bonus action and if it fails it takes a full action?
>>
>>54700452
Acquisitions Incoroporated and Dice, Camera Action has godly dm'ing by Chris Perkins, with ungodly role playing by e-celebrities (save for a few exceptions here and there)
>>
File: Librianknightmagda.jpg (28KB, 205x369px) Image search: [Google]
Librianknightmagda.jpg
28KB, 205x369px
So I'm pretty damned new to roleplaying, finished my second session yesterday, and already I need to reroll since my last character got shot off a rooftop while basically playing Bloons against a horde of daemons by stationing the town watch on flat roofs with bows and explosives. Possibly not my smartest move, but it did work.

Anyway, given that the party is currently staying at a university, I thought I'd make my new guy an academic who wants to write a book on cultural differences across the continent like an Edge Chronicles Librarian Knight, since the party has four major cities to visit and the other academics are pretty insular.

Basically, how do I Lore Bard? Bearing in mind I only know the bare minimum of what makes things good in this game, could I theoretically pull my weight or will I be sitting there with all my knowledge and unable to actually do helpful stuff with it?
>>
>>54700680
I get where you're coming from, but if you let a player plant a bomb on someone's person without a check, they'll reasonably ask why they can't plant other items on them.
If you can't reconcile those, you might have to change the feature. Maybe make it explicitly a sticky bomb or something.
>>
>>54700707
Bards are godly strong in 5e, especially Lore bards. Shouldn't be any problems pulling weight. ASIDE from knowledge and lack of knowledge(jack of all trades) you still get like 90% of the spell power of a wizard (within limits). Better healing than full clerics (at the same time) with some builds.
>>
>>54700738
the only reason i stayed away from making them sticky bombs was i didnt want this to be something that had to be prepared ahead of time. I think this should work fine though
>if you are hidden from a target, as an action you can sneak a bomb onto their person. If you successfully perform a Sleight of Hand check while planting, this ability becomes a bonus action (the DC is the target’s Armor Class).
>>
>>54693056
My players fell in love with Stool literally as soon as I loaded the map of the drow prison cell once they noticed a smaller token next to the orc ront. These days they spoil Stool, letting him soak up the blood of their fallen foes for "nourishment".
>>
>>54700822
That's not workable within 5e's action economy, though, because it would require that you have both your action and your bonus action still available despite only using one of them.
To be honest, I don't like the feature. The entire purpose of it seems to be "make an extra attack with a bomb as a bonus action."
>>
>>54700707
An Eldritch Knight might suit the idea of a paladin of Athena.

But the answer to your question: "How do I lore bard?", well, however the hell you want.
Just remember what it is that you want, and keep focused on that.

You want to play a reporter that speaks truth to power?
A naive youth that has a weak spot for a certain type of people that reminds them of a certain type of character?

Maybe it helps on what function you want to excel at. Lore Bards are great Mage Breakers, if they pick up counterspell, so maybe you want to be a an abjurist bastard, that breaks aughty clerics over his knee, and holds warlocks by the balls while you do the talking.

They also make great illusionists and charmers, or alternatively, great talkers.
If you specialize in "getting the word out" you can pick up sending, animal messenger, misty step, dimension door, message, comprehend languages and speak with Dead or Plants.
At high level, pick up something like Glibness, and casually lie to Gods and Dragons.

Seems like you want to be the diviner though
A sojurn detective that has low constitution but high passion for taking down crime.

But more importantly than all that, think of what you want to be bad at. That shit is a god send
>>
>>54700880
Y'all... y'all know "stool" means "poop," right?
Oh wait, blood in stool joke. You know.
>>
>>54700900
I'm fairly certain one of the players was testing the waters for what happens if a Myconid is exposed to blood. I'll fully admit I never really stopped to think how/if the things eat. We really aren't at any of the Myconid heavy scenes yet but some of the underdark races in the party are aware of them. Anyway I'm fully expected this evil son of a bitch to try to expose Myconids to demon blood. Expecting warcraft style results. For the purpose of....hell if I know.
>>
File: majorimage.png (526KB, 362x594px) Image search: [Google]
majorimage.png
526KB, 362x594px
>>54688270
holy tity fucking christ anons, this spell has limitless applications. lets come up with some! ill start:
>illusionary strip club with fake whores generating huge amounts of cash flow
>illusionary architecture becomes a major school of learning, fake windows, fake high ceilings, fake everything makes even shitty buildings appear luxurious.
>an entire illusionary geographical feature
>illusionary pets
>illusionary library stocked with illusionary versions are every book you can think of, and serviced by illusionary librarians

illu
>>
>>54701071
It's so much better with 14th illusionist.
>20 sq foot lead cube above enemies
>real for 1 minute
>gravity
>>
>>54701101
Can't harm anyone but it's still fun as fuck. Channel your inner looney tunes.
>>
>>54701127
Not him, but
>Put your enemy into an illusory cage
>"It's actually a real cage"
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/rJe7tDzMw-

Anyone have any criticisms for this monster?
>>
What do you think of DND beyond?
Also when their spell descriptions do not match PHB w errata what wins out according to you?
>>
>>54701071
>>illusionary strip club with fake whores generating huge amounts of cash flow

This is why you cant touch the dancers, anon.

Also, I feel like you're banking on a SHIT TON of casts. You can only affect a 20 foot cube at a time. I would also imagine that you cannot make things that are going to ape sentience - you can create an illusion, but its not going to respond independently. So you can make dancers that are going to dance eternally in cages, or on stage, or whatever, but they cannot independently interact with customers.
>>
>>54701144
You should link to the page the Share button opens instead of the edit link.
>>
>>54701146
It's in beta, is it not? I imagine that they are just lifting originals, not including errata text. I've not really looked into it, but people were complaining about it not having all the archetypes for each class. I imagine that's similar - it's placeholder shit
>>
>>54701162
>Also, I feel like you're banking on a SHIT TON of casts
well yeah, but you can do that since they last forever.
>>
>>54701144
Now it shows on my profile we're sharing this homebrew. Congrats, anon.
>>
>>54700900
It could also mean a chair.
>>
>>54701143
>create an illusion of the actual landscape around enemy party
>set fire to the entire area around them
>SURPRISE
>>
>>54701146
Orcpub2 is way better and it's free.
>>
>>54701071
One thing I never understood, could you use it to send a message? Like scouting ahead and having the illusion show the other players what's happening.
>>
>>54701218
orcpub is supposed to be releasing an app right? any idea when?
>>
>>54700764
Nice. Might just pick one of those things, since the Cleric has the healing down even if he does have a bit of a thing for Thunderwaving as many things as possible.

>>54700887

Well, given he's both spent his life in a Mage's College and dislikes open and flashy wizardry, grabbing Counterspell sounds pretty shiny. We'll probably need one too, GM is fond of his daemonic nonsense and Warlocks. I wouldn't exactly be holding them helpless and reciting cutting speeches, since we have a witchhunter type dude as party leader, but given he's gotten smacked down by every witch we've yet ran into before he can do his "reaction shot at spellcasters" thing he probably needs the help at least once.

As for the actual character focus, he mostly wants to learn as many things about people as physically possible, up to and including poking and prying, so subtle illusionist sounds pretty fun.
As for flaws, he's staying the hell away from healing and direct combat magic because he dislikes bludgeoning down problems with that, and he's overconfident as all hell when he actually feels like he's winning against a "cheating" opponent who actually does use that stuff. Basically, he thinks that everywhere has or needs to have a history-book complicated system to it, and he's addicted to trying to be complicated and clever to fit in even when "fuck it, explosives" would be far more convenient and cleverly predicting and tracking your opponent's escape would be less useful than whacking them over the head with a club.
>>
>>54701187
Yes, but you're heavily banking on spending a bunch of time to gloss up an area for some benefit, then having it be proven to be false if anyone touches it, looks too close at it, or wonders why people are not able to do any independent actions.

It's a damned powerful spell, absolutely, but once someone figures out what's going on, it kind of collapses down on itself pretty damned quickly.

You're better off basically opening the equivalent of a zoo, or a theater. You absolutely could open an actual functioning bar and give it MASSIVE thematic elements, but you still need the base structure to build off of, and actual staff.

But you would be the damned coolest bar around.
>>
>>54701209
>>54701071
>create the illusion of a warm cozy fire in a illusionary house
>there is a blizzard outside.
would a creature not feel the blizzard because of the illusionary heat from the fire?
>>
>>54701252
You would feel the heat from the fire, up until you realized that its an illusion and that you're actually freezing to death.

Bonus points if you get to the feedback point where people freezing to death actually DO feel warm.
>>
>>54701249
>You're better off basically opening the equivalent of a zoo, or a theater. You absolutely could open an actual functioning bar and give it MASSIVE thematic elements, but you still need the base structure to build off of, and actual staff.

>But you would be the damned coolest bar around.

that was the plan
>>
>>54701233
Probly, its only 120ft range though. I guess you could go with spell sniper maybe if thats your deal but you can ALTER a (even minor) illusion at will if you're in visual range of both. Make tiny hologram of things far off, repeat with multiple 6th level wizards to create semaphorey TV.
>>
>>54701252
>>54701271
Maybe combine with some sort of bard enthrall performance to sleep them.
>>
>>54701144
>Condition Immunities poisoned
Generally, a creature immune to poisoned condition is also resistant/immune to poison damage.

>Multiattack. The Questing Beast makes one bite and one claw attack or breathes its posionous cloud.
If the Poisonous Cloud takes its entire action, you don't need to state it on Multiattack.

>Poison Breath
Forgot to add the average damage (35).

>Legendary Actions
You're supposed to calculate the damage output from legendary actions as well. With extra 2 claw attacks per round bumps the creature's CR 7-8.
>>
>>54701181
No they have written in something that I cant find anywhere else on the true polymorph spell.
They say it can allways be dispelled even even after having become permanent.

>The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled.

The last part I can not find anywhere else, and it seems so strange that they would just have put it in there for no reason...

What it shuld say is
>The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent.
>>
>>54700705
Does it balance out well?
i assume by ungodly we mean shit right?
>>
>>54701355
Your version from earlier prints of the PHB. Later prints have the version that D&DBeyond uses. Their version is correct.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/723569059640401921
>>
>>54701340
Ah I forgot to add damage immunity, but it was intended. Thank you.
>>
>>54701398
"Ungodly" actually means "very good" in modern American vernacular.
>>
>>54700705
Chris Perkins is a fucking amazing DM, but the story he's telling with DCA is a bit tad and emotionally traumatic. YMMV.
>>
>>54701407
Well I guess that destroys my cool concept of a former spellbook that was given life :(
>>
>>54701487
Talk to your DM about it. There's always exceptions to rules; maybe you were true polymorphed by a spell above that level. But that becomes a question: Why the hell did someone do that to you?

Also - you can conceivably just play that character ... But you'll die to a dispel.
>>
>>54701486
tad dark*

>>54701425
>>54701398
>>54700705
The e-celebs can sometimes be fucking annoying but they're usually alright.
>>
>>54701556
>>54701425
Sick ill check it out thanks for the reccomendations
>>
>>54701564
There's like 58 eps of DCA so far, but they're all not bad. There's some sound quality issues in the beginning but that can be fixed with equalizing your volume.
>>
>>54701413
Please, could you copy this brew over a new link and delete it, it's showing on my profile and I'm afraid deleting it will remove it for you too.
>>
File: U7Hiz.jpg (491KB, 1123x1532px) Image search: [Google]
U7Hiz.jpg
491KB, 1123x1532px
So I'm having a hard time picturing an oath of the ancients paladin. Is it basically just a nature paladin? Like a militant druid?

Like what kinds of adventures would an oath of the ancients paladin get extra invested in?
>>
>>54701609
I love the lawful evil/anti-city return to nature druid shtick myself.
>sorry guys but I can't go into that city unless you want me to burn it to the ground. I'll be out here.
>Unless you want to burn it to the ground, I am cool with that.
You just have to avoid being a that guy about it.
>>
New thread when?
>>
File: 1500494159855.jpg (88KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500494159855.jpg
88KB, 640x960px
>Read a setting
>Think it's alright, do some research and then determine that I'd rather homebrew a setting
>Go seek out more splatbooks and take notes, but never actually run anything because I'm too busy reading and taking notes
>Rinse and repeat
How do I escape from this trap? I always go halfway writing something up and then lose it. I don't even want to run a full campaign, just some short games. I don't NEED a full world but I keep trying to put one together

I guess I see the splats with details on the whole world and think "I need a setting!"
>>
>>54701609

Well, they're pretty solid against fey, fiends, and magic users, so they're probably keen on protecting the realm against otherworldly enemies. The flavor seems to lean towards ancient pagan powers-deep magic, possibly druidic in nature, designed to keep some really nasty things out of humanity's backyard.
>>
>>54701609
They are more like Paladins of "Pure good" were as the one before ( i forgot its name) is a general paladin who is inclined to do good but can tilt towards evil sometimes to do good
And vengeance paladin is "fuck good and evil ill do whatever it takes to purge evil"
i think all in all they would draw from the whole thing of "positive energy plane creates nature and life and happiness"
So i basically just take the nature part of them very lightly and focus more on the spreading good and happiness part
They are really applicable to any adventure not dealing with evil they deep in their hearts want to protect the good hearts of the common people
>>
>>54701609
it's an elf paladin/chaotic good paladin. you basically play it like a normal paladin but more flamboyant.

it has more association with fey pact warlocks than druids i would say.
>>
>>54701601
Yeah sorry senpai it's copied
>>
>>54701700
>>54701695
>Well we could go to war with this evil lich that's tormenting the village
>Or we could plant a nice flower garden for them
>Maybe sing some kumbaya
>These are equivalent priorities
>>
>NEW THREAD
>>54701787
>NEW THREAD
>>54701787
>NEW THREAD
>>54701787
>NEW THREAD
>>54701787
>>
>>54701700
its weird but having looked it up Oaths pallys can turn fey. That's... weird but could be interesting mechanically.
>>
>>54701695
oath of devotion is the "pure lawful good" paladin of old, oath of ancients is hippie paladin, oath of vengeance is the "can tilt towards evil", oath of conquest is probabl the closest to "fuck good"
Thread posts: 397
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.