[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 44

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54661468

Fighter or Barbarian, which do you prefer? Why?
>>
>>54665347
How the fuck would you build a Halfling barbarian? I can't even see how they'd use the typical weapons a Barb's expected to.

Plus, I don't know if the guy actually knows about how typical Goliaths work.
>>
Reposting my response from the end of the last thread

>>54665006

What if your enemies had to make a WIS saving throw (becoming immune to this effect for 24 hours on a success) to hit you instead of their ally if you're within 5ft of their ally? Shapechanging to look just like their friend and confusing them in the process. Like one of those Hollywood "shoot him, I'M the real one!" Moments.

Would look like:
>Your ability to shapeshift in combat lets you take on the surface traits of your enemies in heated melee. Whenever an enemy attacks you for the first time each turn and you are raging, if you are within 5ft of another medium humanoid the attacker must make a [DC 8+Prof+Your Charisma] saving throw. On a failure, the attacker accidentally attacks the wrong target. On a success, the attacker becomes immune to this effect for 24 hours.

Also

>In addition, your duplicitous nature allows you to easily lie without breaking a sweat. You gain proficiency in the deception skill, and if you are already proficient, double your proficiency bonus for any check you make using the deception skill.

Gives the Barbarian an out of combat usefulness, (lying, as is in a skinwalker's nature), and in-combat their class identity becomes causing mass confusion in the enemy's line.
>>
>>54665383
Barbrogue.
>>
>>54665310
Barbarian. Fighter is a class that deals damage. Paladin is a class that deals damage and supports a little bit.

Barbarian is a class designed from the ground up to take damage. You can be the party "tank" as either of the d10 Hit Dice classes, but a Barb can take all the punishment an entire dungeon can throw at him and then some without needing a long rest at any point.
>>
>>54665110
>>54665311
Turn order is determined organically by the first round of combat.
Example:
>Barbarian with Feral Instinct goes first, charges in
>If his target still lives, it retaliates; otherwise, I call on a ranged party member to follow up
>By now, the nearest enemy to the barbarian has gotten to his side, unless the monk indicates she'd like to shadow jump
And so forth.
Second+ rounds usually just follow the same order as the first, unless I think something warrants a change (e.g. something joins combat, conditions change significantly for a character due to a trap or magical effect, etc.)
So far it's worked very well. Of course, I didn't use this system when we ran a huge siege with the old Mass Battles UA.
>>
>>54665389
That should almost definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt be an intelligence saving throw. Unless you're not really shapechanging, just creating a phantasm in their MIND that you're shapechanging.
>>
>>54665414
Then I'm goddamn stepping on two peoples turf AND I don't know how to handle multiclassing.
>>
File: Blaspheme.png (103KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
Blaspheme.png
103KB, 464x768px
posted this in another thread already, but I'd love some feedback on how to rebalance this monster. I have to use it on friday, it's a conversion from 3.5 (the 3.5 version had 28 Strength but I think reducing it to 20 was a good idea). Google it there should be a picture.
>>
>>54665383
You're the perfect height to fucking ruin someone's kneecaps.
>>
>>54665383
Wield a Versatile weapon, giving you a d10 damage instead of the d12. Not a huge downstep in damage.
>>
>>54665598
What level is your party?
>>
>>54665606
>people still don't want to go last

Funny, I have a player that ONLY wants to go last.
>>
>>54665383

Not him but because it's fun and makes for a fun character? Also, like he said, fastball special.

Also, high Dex AND Con means stupid-high unarmored AC.
>>
>>54665310

Barbarian, the only thing I love more than dealing damage is taking a shitload of it like it was nothing. Totem Path offers so many support options as well.
>>
>>54665681
>not a huge downstep in damage
>can't use GWM and or PAM
>>
How did you name your setting? I have a few sounds in mind that I keep kicking around to try and make them sound ancient and mysterious but I'm not sure.
>>
>>54665821
People within a setting don't really call it by its name for the most part, unless they're metagaming or it's spelljammer.
That said, I named my setting Enelia. Easy to pronounce for anybody, and also describes the setting's main conceit. In Hebrew.
>>
>>54665383
Use a Lance, it's a d12 weapon without the heavy property the only issue is backing off when people get in your face might cost your reckless attack or provoke.

I used a Goblin Barbarian, since disengage as a bonus really helped.
>>
>>54665615
But HOW?
>>54665681
I guess you got a point. The idea's just odd to me.
>>54665704
That's "why", not "how". Would they be able to actually do things when they're like that?

Oh, we'll be starting at level 5, and will have an uncommon magical item of our choice.
>>
>>54665821
You just have to pick something and stick with it. It'll sound fine after enough time has passed that it has become normal.
>>
Reposting since I didn't notice the new thread.

>>54664700
>>54664655
Our group uses LightShield-Shield-HeavyShield varients, but +1-3 Shields are out 4E style.

Light Shields are +1AC and the hand is considered free for small interactions, such as casting somatic components, interactions with items such as pulling a lever, loading a sling, grabbing a potion or holding a weapon, but not using a weapon to make an attack or grappling a foe.

Medium Shields are +2 AC, the Shield-hand is considered occupied.

Heavy Shields +3AC, but offer disadvantage on initative checks and require 15STR to avoid a movement speed penalty, as Fullplate.

We're still fleshing them out and getting used to them, but so far seems okay. Disadvantage sucks but doesn't make a huge difference in the long term combat, people still don't want to go last so if you're a Paladin who wants to get a spell ready, or a Fighter who likes to action-surge to crush a high threat foe in the first turn, you might take a Medium-Shield. If you're a Fighter who likes the versatility or being dynamic with the environment then you might even favour a buckler.

Also wanted to avoid having penalties to dex on the tower shield so for example if you wanted say a Spartan-Esque character in medium-armour with a tower-shield. They work great for goblins and other "Savage" races too since if you wanted them to have a better AC but without finding an excuse why there are so many suits of Kobold-sized half-plate around, you can give em a big ass wooden shield and hide armour.

I'll talk a bit about Light Shields next post. Would like some feedback if anyone wants to tell me I'm retarded and shilling.
>>
>>54665896
The main advantage for the Buckler unfortunately means you kind of have to be stricter on the things that it will benefit. "Well Fighter, if you want to drink that potion it's your item action to sheathe your sword and I'll let you use a bonus action for another item action to grab the potion but you'll have to draw your weapon again next turn." Wheras a fighter with a Buckler can just grab the potion freely. "No Ranger, you can't make an attack while climbing the rope since you've still got one arm holding your shield so the other is climbing, if you had a Buckler you could climb the rope with that hand and still have your sword free to strike.", "No Cleric, you can't cast that spell without putting your warhammer away you need a hand free to brandish your holy symbol and I'm not letting the "My shield has my holy symbol painted on" fly now that light-shields are avaliable, you should either use that, be more selective of your spells, or accept you can't have your weapon out at all times.".

We're considering removing Shield Proficiency and just having it tie based off Armour, but some of the issues I see are there would be no reason for a Bard or Warlock to ever not use a Light Shield, Rogues too but I guess most rogues TWF or use bows. The Light-Armor prof feat or Hobgoblin race might get some more use for Wizards as at least then getting Studded Leather and a Buckler will match mage-armour. Other Armour prof feats might see some use since it's not just better armour, but a better shield. Druids and Some Clerics will lose access to Heavy-Shields, which seems fine, but so do Barbarians and Rangers.

Mountain-Dwarves become possibly too strong for casters and rogues, since a Wizard can quite happily wear a suit if Halfplate and a Shield with their wand in one hand and sit as high as AC19.

Slings are a bit better since they can be used with a Light-Shield, which is great to see, but Hand-Crossbows get the same and they are already the best ranged option.
>>
>>54665444
Kind of curious: When people say this, do they bank on everyone being a Bearbarian for the half damage?

I'm playing a Barbarian in a game right now, and while I functionally end up being the 'tank' for the group, I don't really end up feeling like I'm shrugging off all of that much.

But I'm going to guess a large part of that is the fact that my DM never makes anything outside of mooks actually use slashing/bludgeoning/piercing damage, and those tend to die during the first turn(s) as part of cleanup, so trying to remember if I've *ever* taken half damage.
>>
>>54665896
Am I completely off here, or is this picture completely stupid? You only get like 2 inches of steel past the shield's edge, and good luck getting that close to an enemy's body.
>>
>>54665574
Barbarogue excels at grappling. You can play a pseudo-support role by rolling Wolf Totem (melee attackers have advantage to hit anything within 5 feet of you) and the rogue will love you, or you can prone things and hold them down while the party ruthlessly shanks it with Advantage.
>>
>>54665896
I like the initiative penalty on tower. Its that penalty I was looking for that wasn't too punishing but fit the profile.
>>
>>54666023
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aj-Q0brDtLkUaawz_kehlpkbdFwrw0L3n2Ew1ax87W8/edit#gid=0

also reposting armor rework to get feedback. Included some changes mentioned.
>>
I'm running a original 5e campaign soon and was wondering what the best resources for additional player races that don't break the game balance would be. I know I could use some rules of thumb to adapt them from Monster Manual but thats too much work, anything that is generally sworn by for additional races?
>>
>>54666068
>slight redesign
But seriously, why did you completely do away with light armor (full dex bonus)?
>>
File: 1501411022997.png (188KB, 383x353px) Image search: [Google]
1501411022997.png
188KB, 383x353px
>>54665857
Just seems really weird. Polearms don't seem like a "Barbaric" sorta thing to me.
>>54666020
That does sound hilarious, admittedly, though I adore the Sea-Storm Barbarian's lightning thing.

>>54665880
ALSO also, the Barbarian's weapon of choice is a Greatclub of Warning. His name is Club, and he's got 8 INT and is planning on living up to the whole "dumb barbarian" thing.

It's both him and the Druid's first time playing D&D period, so I feel it might help us, if I were to avoid stepping on toes.
>>
I want to make an unusual magic shop owner, what kind of creature should he/she be?
>>
>>54665383
>>54665681
Barbarians can also use Shields you know. If the rest of the party is front-line, take advantage of that with Trip attacks.

Shield-Master feat will let you prone people as a bonus action and give some minor defensive treats, or you can just use one of your attacks for it. If you reliably prone people, which you should, then you wont need to reckless often so keeping your high shield AC relevant.

Halflings are no worse than anyone else as grappling and proning, which barbarians are fantastic at. In fact, with the Squat-Nimbleness feat you can actually become a prodigial brawler capable of grappling that goliath and pinning him to the ground every time.

Start 15 Strength. At level 4 pick up Squat Nimbleness for Expertise in Athletics, +1 Strength and +5ft Movement. You'll have +9 Athletics with Advantage. To compare, a strong creature like an Ogre has +6 Athletics and no bonuses for his great size.

At level 8 you can grab Tavern Brawler for 1d4 unarmed attacks and the occasional free grapple or just take +2 Strength and use a Longsword or something to keep one hand free. Sure your damage will be lackluster comapred to GWF, but you'll be tripping people prone, elbow-dropping them and throwing them into a headlock and dragging them 20-30 feet through the dirt all while feeding your team control and advantagous strikes.

As a halfling.

To an ogre.
>>
>>54665998
You take half damage from everything except psychic as a barbearian.
>>
>>54666110
Aren't halflings restricted to grappling medium and smaller creatures because they're Small?
>>
>>54666100
Fluff it as something barbaric then. Make it a damned log, if you choose. Or I want to point you at the Hellion in Darkest Dungeon.

Remember INT 8 doesn't necessarily make you dumb.

>>54666181
Yep. I know that. That's why I was asking; does it assume that just everyone is going to be a bearbarian by default?
>>
>>54664105
I don't see it in the trove either.
>>
>>54666181
I think he knows that, hence
>When people say this, do they bank on everyone being a Bearbarian for the half damage?
>>
>>54666098
oops i redesigned on my excel, not the google doc. I took that away once people told me it was bad. I thought it would be interesting for light armor to have a limit on the Dex bonus so there was a purpose for wearing no armor. Also it was a power check on combining the light armor with the mail in case they get too much AC bonus with a full dex bonus. IDK if that was right or not. people seem to think its a bad idea.
>>
>>54665998
I think the vast majority of barbarians go full bear, which influences that a bit
>>
>>54665998
Hard to beat damage resistance when the other benefits are tracking and limited, non sustained flight
>>
Thinking about DnD is more fun than playing it.

Am I crazy or is this just true?
>>
File: 9997_db39.jpg (11KB, 252x221px) Image search: [Google]
9997_db39.jpg
11KB, 252x221px
I'm going to be running a campaign this weekend where one of my players is an Aasimar. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to deal with the whole Deva angelic guide thing. From what I'm reading I'm supposed to communicate to the Aasimar through dreams; visions and feelings and stuff. But what exactly do I need to communicate? I obviously can't just give them a vision of what they're supposed to do to to advance the plot. I'm really having a hard time figuring out how I'm supposed to deal with this.
>>
>>54666227
Are.. You comparing different tiers there?
>>
>>54666227
Nigga what
The alternate benefit is everyone getting advantage to whoever you're next to
>>
>>54666199
No, that's the OTHER person, the one playing the Goliath Beserker.
>>
>sell all of my DnD books but my PHB because none of the new content interests me at all
>Wotc promptly announces tomb of annihilation and finally a release date for the splat book

fuck

fuck

FUCK

I mean, it's fine, all that I managed to sell off were all of the spell cards and all of the dumb fucking shit ass campaigns I was never gonna run

god damn it

god damn it
>>
>>54666242
You're just crazy
>>
>>54666110
Which source book has that Squat Nimbless perk in it? I used to play halfling barbarian in 4E and want to bring that back for 5th sometime.
>>
>>54666100
>>54666110
If the other guy is playing the dumb thug barbarian, play ther over-competitive psyco barbarian.

The small guy "Come get some!" who knows every trick to drop any scrub who thinks they are tough onto the floor and how to put them in a armlock that will make them say uncle, the knife to the throat is just gravy.

Have a plan to grapple and prone everyone and everything you meet.

A Human Warrior? Knock him down and Grapple. Apply knife to throat.
A rampaging bear? Knock him down and Grapple. Apply knife to throat.
A lumberous hill giant*? COME GET SOME, Knock him down and Grapple. Apply knife to throat.
A Dragon? Have a guess. A beserking demon? You know it. Some nerd with an Squid face? Headlock!
The motherfucking Terrasque**? Knock. It. Down.

*Even a huge sized hill-giant has a mere +6 Athletics compared to our level 4 Halflings +9, not counting in his advantage when raging. Knock that fat bastard down and defy all laws of physics when a 40lb cackling halfling pins down a several tonne walking warmachine.

**The biggest baddest dude of D&D? Yeah +10 Athletics, counting in for our Halflings advantage our meagre level 4 psyco bastard will literally come out on top more often than not. At least until the Terrasque slaps the halfling into negatives with a single tail attack.

Can no one stop this mad man?

>>54666194
Nope, the only size-related advantage for grappling is inherently greater strength scores and creatures can move unimpeded when grappling something two-sizes smaller. Nothing stops, or even impedes our small-sized halfling from getting the lockdown on literal giants.

The nearest thing is that there may be some question on if encumberance and push/pull limits apply to moving a grappled creature, but as the weight of larger creatures is inherently massive no one would be able to budge anything larger than a bugbear even with prodigial strength.
>>
>>54666253
PLS RESPOND
>>
>>54666363
>GRAPPLING
>When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple. If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them. The target of your grapple must be no more than one size larger than you, and it must be within your reach. Using at least one free hand, you try to seize the target by making a grapple check, a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you succeed, you subject the target to the grappled condition (see appendix A). The condition specifies the things that end it, and you can release the target whenever you like (no action required).
>The target of your grapple must be no more than one size larger than you
>>
File: Read Nigga Read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
Read Nigga Read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54666363
>Nothing stops, or even impedes our small-sized halfling from getting the lockdown on literal giants
>>
>>54666363
And how would I do that? Rogue 4/Barb X? With a shortsword so I actually can get sneak attack?
Also, "The target of your grapple must be no more than one size larger than you and must be within your reach. "
>>
>>54666335
Unearthed Arcana: Feats of Races.

Although the same effect can be applied with the Brawny feat from Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills which gives +1 Strength, Expertise on Athletics and count as medium for carry capacity which changes nothing.

Generally you can do the same thing without unearthed arcana by taking 2 levels in Rogue or Bard to get Expertise in Athletics, the "Barbarogue" has been around for a bit and is an grappler withour peer, but these new feats let you get the expertise without needing to multiclass and come with +1 Strength.

Small size has no drawbacks to grappling other than not getting a racial +2 Strength like some do but that doesn't make a huge difference in the long run of a Halfling having 18 Strength at 8th level but the Half-Orc just hit 20.

Assuming of course the GM doesn't turn around and say "Uh no thats stupid no grappling large things as a halfling." but that comes down to Martials not allowed to do anything unrealistic or heroic spellcaster master-race.
>>
What's a good reason for members for the Cult of the Black Earth to attack members of the Cult of the Eternal Flame? Would they see the use of forging and warping natural minerals as an affront to elemental earth?
>>
>>54665684
4th & 5th but there are like 7 of them plus they have help.
>>
>>54666363
I genuinely wish you were right, but there's a reason the secret halfway viable grappling build is Bard/Eldritch Knight Fighter multiclass with a medium race so you can cast Enlarge on yourself.

Or Mystic but nobody allows REEE ANIME CHARACTER REEEE.
>>
>>54666444
isn't it just whatever you want? it's a flavour thing so I don't think it's supposed to be Useful so much as Interesting/Entertaining.

could provide reassuring dreams, or minor trivia about the world, or baking recipse it's come up with.
>>
What's the most powerful class at later levels? As in, 15+
>>
>>54666537
Wizard
>>
>>54666537
Wizard.
>>
>>54666537
Wizard.
>>
>>54666541
>>54666543
>>54666555
I think I have my answer...
>>
>>54666541
>>54666543
>>54666555
Why though
>>
>>54666253
I have an Aasimar. I'm going to give him vague visions of a sea of blood. As the campaign goes on he'll have another nightmare that'll show the sea of blood shrinking and a town on fire. It'll vaguely point him to a town that his group decided to ignore to save yo become treasure hunters. Then they'll fight against a prophet of blood and he'll piece it all together that this blood prophet is the reason the town he heard was cursed is now destroyed due to his treasure hunting.
>>
>>54666253
Whatever the fuck you want. If you want to make it tangential to the plot, give them a sub-goal or something that would 'advance the celestial host' or whatever bull. It doesn't have to be "HERE'S HOW TO ADVANCE THE PLOT", it can be things like "While you're chasing down the big bad, you're plagued with horrific visions of what happens if he runs unchecked" ... "while in pursuit of a cult, you receive visions of a foul altar dedicated to dark purpose surrounded by robed figures. You must stop them."

It doesn't tell you *how* to go about doing it, it doesn't tell you *where* it is, it just lets you know of things happening - and it can give better flavor and urgency to the group.
>>
>>54666571
Wizards(possibly Lore Bards too?) eclipse everyone by the time they can cast 7th level spells at the latest. Simulacrum is especially significant here, but by no means the only factor.
>>
>>54666537
Wizards.
>>
>>54666253
>>54666444
Does the Guardian Deva have a significant stake in what the Aasimarr is doing right now? If not, why would the Deva care enough to send a message? What information would it NEED to communicate.

Would your cleric have his god pop in to give hints every night at 11:15pm?
Would the warlocks patron be sitting on his thralls shoulder saying "Yeah yeah, do that." to every decision?

The only time our cleric ever "communicated" to his god was when the Dragonborn Cleric of Bahamut was confronted with a clutch of black dragon eggs and was conflicted on what to do, so took the decision to destroy them because he did not feel he had the time and resources to foster them in the hopes that they can overcome their nature and become good, but did not want to afflict the countryside with the threat of three young dragons claiming dominion as they grew older when he had a chance to stop it.

In the night he had a dream where he basically saw a vision of Bahaumet as a platinum scaled dragonborn with golden birds fluttering around his shoulders, who said nothing and just patted him on the shoulder reassuringly. The Cleric awoke with the feeling that while the decision was tough to make, neither outcome was ideal and which ever had been chosen would have been acceptable so long as it was considered heartfully.
>>
File: AkkoRetarded1.png (266KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AkkoRetarded1.png
266KB, 665x574px
>>54666363
>>54666527
>>54666468
>>54666467
Ah shite. I even went and checked the book over before making this post looking for any advantages larger creatures had, couldn't see anything in either grappling or shoving nor the shitty pinning feat nor the FAQ/Errata bits.
>>
>>54665723
Can still use PAM with a quarterstaff.

Can also use the ASI saved on getting better defenses, like Resilient or higher Con/Dex.

Or in the case of the halfling, "1" more ASI on strength, but the Stout's Dex/Con wasn't wasted so whatever.
>>54665880
>and will have an uncommon magical item of our choice.
You could choose Gauntlets of Ogre Power while you build up your natural strength?
>>
File: stats.png (1KB, 231x213px) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
1KB, 231x213px
>>54666709
I might be able to convince the DM to let me grapple Large creatures as a Barbarian or with a feat or something.
>>54666755
I rolled pretty good. As in, I rolled THIS good.
>>
Is burning hex not very good? (Design wise and everything).
Fires of Mephistopheles is retarded good.
>>
>>54666709
It's ok fellow Halfling Barb enthusiast. We can just have our pet wizards cast enlarge on us or be sure to have a Potion of Growth on hand for those Ogres and Giants. The strat still works on Medium sized targets at least.
>>
>>54666507
pls respond
>>
>>54666020
>Small memer-barb for grappling/shoving
How about not setting him up to fail?
>>54666110
>Halflings are no worse than anyone else as grappling and proning
>>54666363
>Nothing stops, or even impedes our small-sized halfling from getting the lockdown on literal giants.
Except for not being able to shove or grapple large creatures. But I guess I'm late to the party.

A halfling can use the Climbing on a Bigger Creature variant more often though, and that can be fun in its own way.
>>54666265
Or Dashing as a bonus action with OAs taking disadvantage against you. Or increased speed or jump distance from SCAG.
>>
>>54666571
Simulacrum, Clone, Symbol, Demiplane, Teleport, increasing duration on Mass Suggestion/Geas/Planar Binding, Dominate Person, Dominate Monster, Wish, True Polymorph. The general ability to turn time and money into power in a very BBEG sort of way.
>>
>>54666907
Lucky always gives you a better chance to roll anything but a 1, at least.
>>
>>54666814
You could go Dwarf isntead of Halfling, still has the psyco smol dude aspect but medium sized so can grab large guys, or just ask your GM to allow but then the "I made this quirky build that can judoflip ogres." becomes "The GM let me judo-flip ogres."

Dwarves also have the Battlerager archtype to get a splash more to your grapples.

What Level are you building if I missed it and someone said 1 magic item?

Or just settle for a Halfling Barbarian who can choke out any Medium-motherfucker around and plays with Climbs-On-Bigger-Creatures when fighting anything larger.
>>
>Mystic with Burly, Tavern Brawler, Brute Force, and Giant Growth
Name a better grappler. Pro tip- you can't.
>>
>>54667321
One that a DM would allow
>>
>>54667321
Anyone who gets more than one attack?
>>
>>54667321
Make him a Bugbear.
>>
>>54667334
Not every GM is a fun hating autist, anon
>>
>>54667321
One that's released and had broken combos edited or removed.
>>
>>54667393
You rite nigga. Really I feel like Soul Knoife and "maybe" Immortal should get Extra Attack, Soul Knife especially since it doesn't get any bonus disciplines.
>>
>>54667422
I don't feel like number of disciplines known has that big of an effect on their balance of resource-limited activities and at-will activities.
>>
File: Path of the Skinwalker.pdf (235KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Skinwalker.pdf
235KB, 1x1px
Made this up during last thread. Have at it anons.
>>
>>54667270
Halflings interest me more than Dwarves, myself.
I'm starting at level 5, and I can get any 1 Uncommon item.

Who the fuck actually pays attention to the racial limitations on classes?
>>
File: 1499928622782.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1499928622782.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54666709
>>
>>54667564
>spoiler
Autists and AL, and they aren't mutually exclusive. Playing in a homebrew setting is better than a published setting like 90% of the time anyways.
>>
>>54667599
This DM tried and managed to play a Small-sized tree-man race for one campaign he was in (and just happened to die in the second session because his character did something unfathomably dumb), so I'm sure he'd allow the feat to let me grapple Large things
>>
File: 1492559075563.jpg (40KB, 472x339px) Image search: [Google]
1492559075563.jpg
40KB, 472x339px
>>54665310
Anyone have the mega.nz link to the trove? I can't get rem.uz to work for me for some reason. My downloads keep failing
>>
>>54666012

Yes. Not to mention that trying to wrap your hand around both the dagger hilt and the shield grip virtually guarantees it's going to go flying the first time it encounters resistance.

I hold hope, though, that it was only posted to point out that a shield hand can still temporarily hold a smaller item, which is almost always true. Regardless, 5e frequently places balance and ease of play over simulation.
>>
>>54667771
The mega got DMCA'd and there are no live mirrors currently afaik
>>
>>54666487
>>Small size has no drawbacks to grappling other than not getting a racial +2 Strength
Also the fact you can only RAW and RAI grapple something 1 size larger then you, so you know, you really can't grapple large things as a Halfling.
>>
>>54667771
That picture is always so fucking depressing.
>>
>>54667855
perhaps you should be the cat.
>>
>>54666537
Wizards.
>>
>>54667771
>>54666308
>>54666308
>>54666308
>>
>>54667797
That's alright. I've figured out can get it to work if I download it in portions. Thanks for the info
>>
>>54666537
Bard or Druid.
>>
>>54666467
That must be the most popular image in this damn board.
>>
>>54667959
I wonder why
>>
>>54667560
bump for I have no other means of validating my existance
>>
What are some good ideas for a dungeon themed around Elemental Fire?
>>
>>54666637
I dunno. I'm starting Storm King's Thunder so I guess the Deva could be urging her to put an end to the giants bs before more people get hurt
>>
>>54668046
The floor is fire. No, really. If you see a checkered floor plan, use True Seeing on that shit or else you'll get one hell of a hot foot.

Objects that are shaped to look like fire actually burn here. Hope you didn't have any flaming tattoos.

Roll for heat exhaustion if wearing anything heavier than light clothing.
>>
Do hags actually care for their sisters in a coven or do they care more for the power derived from the bond?

Our party may or may not have murdered a Hag we had a burgeoning quid quo pro relationship with's sister, wondering if I should try to salvage it with some loot we got from elsewhere or just board the murderhobo train
>>
Just DMed probably the best session my campaign has had thus far. Party of level 5s battled a Glabrezu and several cultists before several of them were teleported away by a teleportation circle that one of the cultists drew.

How is everyone else's campaigns going?
>>
>>54667564
Kobold Barbarian at 6 Strength with Gauntlets of Giant Strength who screams whenever anyone even thinks about touching her gloves, and they are, she can tell with them looking with those grabby eyes.
>>
>>54668305
Hag's generally don't care for their sisters, and only group up with them for more power, as well as, as the MM says, if two hags get into an argument, there's always a third one to break it up.
>>
>>54667599
>>54667655
*and play Battlerager and Bladesinger unrestricted
>>54668327
That sounds hilarious, but at worst they'd actually only have 8 strength by default because of how strong my roll was.
>>
>>54668324
Pretty good, my group of 6, level 7-9 characters just killed an Aboleth accompanied by a horde of Deep Ones. After the fray, the parties Assassin's weapon upgraded and due to its effects, he almost killed himself and his friends.
>>
>>54668324
My bugbear ranger just got turned to stone by a Medusa, but in his last moments as he started turning due to failing the first save, he threw down his weapon, lunged out and grappled her.

So he turned to stone while lifting her off the ground in a headlock trying to choke her out.

DM ruled she was restrained and unable to use her gaze until taking an action to squrim her way out giving the remaining party the chance to finish her off.

No one on the team able to cast Greater Restoration, so I'm rolling a new character and years from now someone may stumble upon a lair filled with statues of cowering peasants, and in the center, a statue of an angry bugbear with his arms raised clutching a skeleton by the throat.
>>
>>54668434
That is fucking awesome
>>
>>54667560
>>54668037
Neat shit, man. I don't know balance though.
>>
Making an Artifact Weapon that uses a point-for-spell system like the Staff of Defense and others. What cost should I give Battlemaster Maneuvers?
>>
>>54668482
That's cool. As long as someone like it.
>>
>>54668484
I like the idea of it just doing a small amount of damage each time in a sort of "pushing them past their limits" sort of way. It's hard to say what the right amount would be though. Maybe 1d6 or just 5 each time?
>>
>>54668542
I mean what should the spell point equivalent to a superiority die be
>>
>>54666507
It depends on your point in the game. Black Earth and Eternal Flame already hate each other on a neutral level pointed out in the breakdown of the groups (they hate their personalities and how they solve problems).

Eternal Flame cultists do not like to preserve anything, they want to burn anything and everything which would include minerals and the alike. I like your take on it though and I think it fits a good narrative as long as you can twist it without it being over-the-top or incredibly foreseeable.

I am running PotA and my party started their long journey by going to Feathergale Spire first. Instead of having fun with the manticore raid, I did a take in-which one of the Marlos wanted to stir bad blood with between the Wind and Fire cultists by having his cultists posing as one the Fire cultists and attack them during their party using the Manticore and the gnolls in the valley. All and all, I thought it went pretty well and it led to an interesting encounter (to me), but what the fuck do I know?
>>
oath of vengeance more like oath of bullying
>>
Is Drunken Master Monk any good?
>>
File: 1f2.jpg (47KB, 600x905px) Image search: [Google]
1f2.jpg
47KB, 600x905px
How do you get players, /5e/? I don't want to play with you all because you're experienced and would point out all my mistakes in newbie DMing and I don't want to play with the faggots on roll20 because they're all munchkin rogue chaotic neutral assfucks. I have one friend from a few years back who'll play, but no one else is interested. Anyone else we've brought in played for one session or was a complete dick.
>>
>>54669120
Have a local game store? Go hang out there. Get new friends, join other people's games, get to know people.
>>
>>54669120
straight up just say you're a new DM looking for new players, and make 'em do a short application/questionnaire and pick from that. Also just fucking kick people if they won't cut the lulz randumb ecks dee crap.
>>
>>54669107
No
>>
File: Screenshot_20170802-004659.png (996KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170802-004659.png
996KB, 1080x1920px
As a dm, I always struggle to make compelling "many vs. one" fights for my party.
The party (5 level 4 characters) is about to fight a duelist villain who I'm thinking will be based off the Gladiator stat block.
He's probably going to have potions on his person, so how do I make the fight fun ?
>>
File: 1498971383208.jpg (40KB, 432x426px) Image search: [Google]
1498971383208.jpg
40KB, 432x426px
>>54669151
NYC doesn't have many of em, unfortunately. Unless you count Games Workshop, but no one does.

>>54669169
I suppose; I'll need to come up with some arbitrary criteria. How do you prevent people from just leaving after the first session other than asking them not to? I think they feel like there's less obligation to come back and give feedback on the longevity of the campaign but rather just fuck off.

My problem with getting players from /tg/ is most people here probably would rather be polite and give no feedback and rage internally and post a greentext rather than bring a problem up and that's one of my fears, and roll20 I've tried to play in like 3 campaigns and all of them the players are munchkins.
>>
File: flysword.png (371KB, 373x521px) Image search: [Google]
flysword.png
371KB, 373x521px
>>54669240
animated weapon allies
>>
>>54669240
Environmental issues. Secondary goals/distractions/things that they need to deal with. Legendary actions (or whatever the fuck they are called). Keep the *pace* of combat going. Someone posted in a (thread or few ago) this - http://theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/ - and I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it, but there's some potential ideas to mine from that.

Largely I would say emphasize making it so you're not just fighting a solo dude in a white box, basically.
>>
>>54669268
Go to the forums, pick up players saying they're new comers. You can't stop people from leaving just like you can't stop people from being fuckwits in general, so don't waste energy worrying about that. Focus on who you get to stay. Check out games that are already up on the group listings and what shit they ask - ask questions like what would you do if you disagreed with the DM', or 'do you prefer to skip sessions when missing a person or work around it? Just right away: what kind of characters do you tend to play? What split of combat to roleplay, humour to "serious" do you want fromt he campaign? You can just outright ignore anyone who plays shitty CN rogue types.

Looking for feedback? Send them a PM/email/discord message with some questions. 'What do you like, what wasn't as interesting, where do you want to go next', give them specific questions instead of a vague 'hey feedback please'. If they don't answer, ask them why, ask if they're not interested/invested in the game enough, and what would get them involved enough to give feedback. If they can't answer that, boot 'em since they don't care.
>>
>>54665310
When's the next UA anyone know?
>>
>>54669497
Next Monday most likely
>>
Will I have fun as a Roguebarian grappler?
>>
>>54669633
How are we supposed to know what you find fun?
>>
Just finished a session where I
>kissed my evil reflection on a magic mirror
>compared my butt to a bunch of gorilla butts
>sang a lullaby to ease my party into sleep
>asked Unseen Servant to gently caress mine and another party member's head as we sleep

Is this how it feels to be a bard? I'm loving it.
>>
File: 1436581216054.png (148KB, 526x454px) Image search: [Google]
1436581216054.png
148KB, 526x454px
>Will-o'-Wisps can remain invisible during a fight and continuously ready an action to use Consume Life whenever a PC drops to 0
>>
>>54669704
>Shadows exist
A single Shadow getting loose in the sewers of a decent size city could spiral out of control rapidly.
>>
File: manacles.png (44KB, 374x146px) Image search: [Google]
manacles.png
44KB, 374x146px
What does the action to apply these look like? Same as grappling?
>>
>>54669727
Think of playing a wu jen mystic what's up with the shadow why are they seen as such a threat?
>>
>>54669777
Shadows can create more shadows by killing people. One shadow set loose on a couple of commoners can become an epidemic.
>>
>>54669777
shadows drain STR, being reduced to 0 kills the target, a new shadow forms from any (not evil) humanoid that is killed by one
>>
>>54669769
Use An Item action.
I've had fun using them with a Thief to bind enemies in combat.

>Attach one end of manacles to something heavy
>Sneak up on enemy fighting ally
>Slap a makeshift ball and chain on their leg or weapon arm
>>
>>54669777
Every time they hit they sap 1d4 STR. If the target gets to 0 STR they fucking die outright.

That's in addition to spreading like a plague
>>
>>54669633
Depends, do you have fun playing a Roguebarian Grappler?

Seriously, its all relative. Do you find the idea fun? What are your expectations?
>>
>>54669816

So there's no chance at all for them to avoid it? It just automatically succeeds?
>>
>>54669991
I have no idea what the actual rule is (if there even is one) but we use Sleight of Hand if being sneaky or Athletics if not contested by Acrobatics or Athletics.
>>
How does Kensei stack up to Open Hand? Is it workable, or is it a poor alternative?
>>
>>54670063
More damage, less control and utility. Less interesting mechanics too, unfortunately.
>>
>>54670063
It's basically the same except instead of having the redundant ability to automatically knock stunned enemies prone, you do a shitton more damage.
>>
what stops a lich from hiding his phylactery in a demiplane so others just can't find it on material plane?
>>
>>54670175
Nothing, though it does mean they need to access the demiplane to feed it.
>>
>>54670175
Paranoia? Arrogance? Convenience?
>>
>>54670175
This was done in the olden times, but a Diety saw this and called it, as it was, a 'dick move' and banished him and the technique.
>>
>>54670250
"Eh, I COULD stick it in a series of nested planes six levels deep... OR I could just stick it under my mattress. Yeah, the second one sounds easier to me."
>>
>>54669991
No actual rule, as far as I can recall off handily. I would rule it as a basically second grapple check, personally. So if you're already grappling, you can roll another grapple check to see if you restrain them.
>>
>>54670285
"Who the fuck's gonna think to check there anyway?"
>>
>>54670175
Make up some magibabble about how it couldn't work because plane bullshit and have a long-bearded bespectacled wizard explain it to the players during the session if it ever comes up
>>
>>54670175
why would you stick around on the material if you've got planes to move in generally?
>>
>>54670307
I wanna see a lich who WAS super evil and ambitious, but kinda just suffered burnout and mostly just wants to chill. He has some skeletons kidnap enough people to keep his phylactery okay or whatever, but he mostly just sits around smoking weed or playing bridge with zombies
>>
>>54670175

I'm not solid on the lore, and I haven't read up, but I wonder if there's any restriction for the lich having to be on the same plane as his phylactery?

Like, if you die and your phylactery is on another plane, whoops, you cannot 'reach' it and be reborn. You're (re)dead now, and its still waiting for your vital essence.

Or as >>54670250 said.
>>
File: DMG_Bag-of-Holding.jpg (761KB, 1500x2121px) Image search: [Google]
DMG_Bag-of-Holding.jpg
761KB, 1500x2121px
Have you ever stolen a players Bag of Holding?

Think about it. They store so much shit in there and they assume its untouchable, completely safe.

Its not even subtle, its a massive smiling bag, any thief worth his salt would know what it was.

>Player gets stalked by the thieves guild of the city
>Players always go to the same bar
>They always order the same drink
>Basic knock out poison and several +12 slight of hand rolls later its gone
>>
>>54670403
because its not DM vs Players.
If you wanted to do that have it be a not-so-subtle plot hook leading to a thieves guild where shenanigans unfold. Intend to give it back to the players or have them earn it back, something like that.
>>
>>54670351
>Like, if you die and your phylactery is on another plane, whoops, you cannot 'reach' it and be reborn. You're (re)dead now, and its still waiting for your vital essence.

This is nonsense because the Phylactery *is* the Lich. The Lich is basically just a puppet for the Phylactery, and that's why when the Lich is destroyed the Phylactery is able to generate a new one given time.

There are also no restrictions for the Phylactery and the Lich to be in the same plane of existence. A DM may rule it so, but there's nothing about it on the lore or inherent with the way Liches function.

In any case, the Phylactery being hidden in a different plane of existence is little different from being in a very hard to reach lair or whatever. There are ways for a capable and dedicated enough crew.
>>
File: 1333015432385.jpg (18KB, 396x403px) Image search: [Google]
1333015432385.jpg
18KB, 396x403px
>>54670426
>Intend to give it back to the players
>>
What is a logical enemy for Satyrs or Fey in general? I want the party to get fucked up with them when something attacks them. Preferably something that knows the Satyrs are partying and hates it. Is there anything on material plane that just outright hates fey?
>>
>>54670428
the point where you can control your corpse puppet across planes is some point well into/beyond epics though. These aren't questions that should concern mortals. Once you're a demigod I don't think you have to give fucks about them.
>>
>>54670403
Why would I? Everything in it is going to look and smell like death because they refuse to actually see what's in the bag and left chunks of bear in it.
>>
That anon with difficulty picking something to go with for the "everyone is frontline" class, should I maybe try a Stone Sorcerer? I want to play something melee, but I also don't want to dick the party over when it comes to dealing with ranged stuff, and also help balance out INT-related things.
>>
>>54670403
Why do you think they assume it's untouchable? PC's in general tend to get kind of murderous when it comes to things like magic items. Personally though if I can I avoid having Bags of Holding if I can. I'm always afraid of the various ways it can explode or disappear with all your shit
>>
>>54670449

If I remember my Irish mythology correctly, that would be the Fomorians.
>>
>>54670449
Well if the feys represent nature then I suppose the opposite would be some artificial mechanical force?
>>
>>54670505
>hide different bags of holding inside a second magic item
>reward it to PCs

For real though I'd rather have a headquarters to store my shit in if it's all the same.
>>
>>54670403
No, buy my DM had an orphan kid steal *through* the bag of holding (like .. Nicked an item that was stored inside of it, and run off).

Also, outside of that:

>Untouchable
Doesn't it basically implode if its damaged in any way? It's great, and super useful, but holy fuck do you want to be careful with it.

>>54670428
Like I said, I am super rough on the lore and just musing some ideas for why it could theoretically be possible.
>>
>>54670505
>Why do you think they assume it's untouchable?

The same way a characters possessions are perfectly fine all through combat/being swallowed by a dragon/hit by a fireball.

>Anything you're wearing or carrying is untouched
>>
>>54670428
Psst
Depends on the setting
>>
>>54670579
Well there is some appeal to walking around with a shit ton of tools or whatever. I generally wouldn't use it for non-mundane items unless I had to though
>>54670682
Enemies targeting equipment never ends well for anyone in the group
>>
>>54670490
Stone Sorc looks fun, but...
>help balance out INT-related things
What did you mean by this? Sorcerers are Charisma casters.
>>
>>54670746
I know, which is why I'm so torn up. I want to play what I want, but I also want to not lean in to the (several) new players' space, and I also want to help round the party out.
I'm torn as hell.
>>
>>54670726
Yeah, tools I can see. I wouldn't go to a dungeon without a cart full of them and some hirelings or something. The value of bags of holding in most of my campaigns though would prohibit them from being carried willy nilly into dungeons and shit. Ritual teleportation or conjuration seems like it would be a safer bet.
>>
>>54670776
I'd say play what you want. Having a weak spot in what skills the party can cover leads to interesting challenges.
>>
>>54670776
You could play 100% utility wizard to support the party because I'm sure they don't want their new characters to die.
>>
>>54670913
Not him, but Stone Sorcerers can do quite a bit to directly protect others in the party
>>
>>54666199
8 Int does make you dumb
>>
>>54669806
Ohhhh if I play him as a evil character that could work nicely.
>>
>>54670981
you could just be illiterate and completely uneducated but not retarded. Ignorant.
>>
In my current campaign I found a magic item that says it'll give me a single wish in exchange for eating a portion of my lifespan.

What should I wish for assuming it's telling the truth?
>>
>>54671011
>you could just be illiterate and completely uneducated
Dumb
>>
>>54665310
I really like multiclassing them, actually.
>>
>>54670449
Other Fey, Orcs, Undead? Fey don't really have any enemies but themselves, if you want to give them one choose some bestial race that cares more about eating things than they do about tricks, parties, and contracts. I vote gnoll

If you want a fun group that might hate them maybe Bullywug. Bullywug are fun because they take themselves so seriously it is ironic. I could see them hating creatures that aren't serious
>>
>>54671044
Eternal life.
>>
>>54671116
Yeah I can't see that backfiring at all.
>>
>>54665310
Usually I frown at people playing uncommon races because at my table there's not a decent roleplayer in sight, me included. So them just playing humans with ears, horns, scales whatever is too noticeable.

However, now I'm playing and I picked Dragonborn Bard mostly to make this very point to the DM.

Suddenly got into the idea, gave him a roman name and roleplay him as a polite but strict commander (fluffing sing-songy stuff after warlord). After a few actually interesting interactions, what would be some sources of inspiration for fleshing him out a bit? I'm not into portraying fictional cultures at their fullest, not at the actual game table, just trying to think of some mannerisms and quirks that vaguely roman Dragonborn would have.
>>
>>54671135
He'll have plenty of time to unfuck it up.
>>
>>54671152
>So them just playing humans with ears
shit every human I've every played has had ears
>>
Next UA is this coming monday, right? Any idea what it might be? What do you want it to be?

I want UA Warlock v2, we don't actually hate this class edition but I know Mearls' autism won't allow it. Plus I believe all the upcoming UA are subsystems.
>>
>>54671198
Warlocks will always be hated as long as they're a forced meme class.
>Guys who lost out in a deal with Devils: the class
Shoulda just gone wizard and won.
>>
>>54671198
>>54671223
Warlocks are fine ya dorks
>>
>>54671168
Christ, learn to up your roleplaying.
>>
Hey /tg/ my DM likes making us really strong so in return for pledging myself to a young god my wizard has been given the level 2 abilities of a loremaster. In the spirit of having fun with all that I'd like to ask ideas on visual fluff for both spells with substituted energy and substituted saves. Something like
>Radiant blight instead overloads the target's body and their eyes glow a bright white. if it kills they become charred
>strength save enchantment effect taking the form of a snake wrapped around the victim. it looks into their eyes and they must break free before it beguiles them
that sort of thing
>>
>>54667560
>>54668037
Added to my ever growing lexicon of fairly well balanced homebrew PC options.
will be very entertaining when the party happens upon a tribe of native American inspired Skinwalkers on the edges of the territory.
>>
>>54671235
>Warlocks are fine
>Warlock THE 'take two to three levels and never go back' class is fine.
>The class that has maybe two optimally effective meme builds that aren't even pure Warlock.
>bladelocks.

Fuck off back to plebbit, trashbasket.
>>
File: Gold Dragon.jpg (235KB, 1000x1294px) Image search: [Google]
Gold Dragon.jpg
235KB, 1000x1294px
Why do Gold Dragons look so goofy? You'd expect more thought into their design and art, since they're the most powerful metallic dragons. Just looking through all five, the Bronze one looks so much better.
>>
>>54671294
>muh dps is all that matters in a roleplaying game
>le meme builds
>has probably never even played a Warlock
Come back when you know what you're talking about, mong
>>
>>54671325
Gold Dragons are awesome
>>
File: 1499380359244.jpg (158KB, 1890x812px) Image search: [Google]
1499380359244.jpg
158KB, 1890x812px
>>54668434
Metal. He has left a silent but immortal legacy.
>>
>>54671325
Copper dragons have objectively the best art of 5e metallics
>>
>>54671326
>>54671294
They've got a great theme but really shit mechanics. Like how sorcerers have nothing going for them anymore but still too much to fit into a single wizard subclass.

Still thematically better than rangers.
But a million times worse mechanically than literally Multiclass: The Totally Single Class
>>
File: Gold_Dragon.jpg (21KB, 350x255px) Image search: [Google]
Gold_Dragon.jpg
21KB, 350x255px
>>54671325
there was supposed to be a mild eastern design with them, but the image you picked is admittedly terrible. the 3.0 MM image is probably the best image of a gold.
>>
I was just over at my friends place who has a 196 page Dark Sun PHB homebrew for 5e that he says he downloaded. But I can't find it for the life of me on google. It has like the talents from UA: Mystic, so it must be fairly new

Does anyone know where to find it?
>>
>usually play Paladin as want to go through the Oaths for the hell of it
>friends find that going Paladin is stale, but they shrug it off due to the fact I RP well

I think that RP is the saving grace, though I usually choose my class last to see if anyone wants to play more front row in the party and nobody does. So I just end up going Paladin out of enjoyment.

Would like to go wizard next time.
>>
>>54671368
>>54671325
They look like Chinese sages.
>>
>>54671349
>>54671368
>>54671336
Dude, the silver is majestic as FUCK. in 3e, though i agree with the 5e.
>>
>>54671392
I like the RP parts to classes most too but optimization of shitty classes is a side-hobby. I'm almost sick of bards winning all the time in 5e since I played them way back when.
>>
File: 1232121342132131.gif (829KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
1232121342132131.gif
829KB, 500x213px
>>54671325
>He doesn't like asian dragons with moustache
>>
>>54671406
exactly
>>
>>54671410
I like the asian amphibian/lizard moustache trope. They're old and occasionally sagey too so that counts in their favor. It's silly for them to be stuck looking all the same though considering theme and shapeshifter stuff though.
>>
File: 5d4eff5ce49687c2f5428bfc85455f5d.jpg (234KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
5d4eff5ce49687c2f5428bfc85455f5d.jpg
234KB, 1191x670px
>>54671429
>>54671407
why the fuck aren't my images posting?
>>
File: 1501608283162.png (179KB, 558x592px) Image search: [Google]
1501608283162.png
179KB, 558x592px
DMs, what are some good resources for DMing that you use? Got any toolboxes I can steal?
>>
File: do_you_have_wood_for_sheep.gif (4MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
do_you_have_wood_for_sheep.gif
4MB, 500x281px
>>54671326
I've been playing a Bladelock since before the Hexblade came out, shitgargler and all I can say about the experience so far is that it has been utter suffering. I have had to constantly keep myself at a much higher tier of optimization in relation to my party to contribute meaningfully in combat in comparison to the TWF Bearbarian or contribute meaningingfully outside of combat in comparison to the Lore Bard.

'Lul it's a role-playing game not a rollplaying game, it doesn't matter' gargle poisoned horse semen and die painfully you softbrained cook canoe, the game isn't fun when I'm just sitting here wondering how Main Character-chan the Bard is going to solve the next problem with little to no interaction from the party. Again.
>>
>>54671455
Stay mad, cuck
>>
>>54671198
here's an idea: Next UA consolidates options by rolling Barbarian into Fighter.
>>
>>54671478
That would be nice but I think it's too late, they've gone down too far down the path of D12
>>
File: 9a6.png (327KB, 323x454px) Image search: [Google]
9a6.png
327KB, 323x454px
>>54671478
For why? Barbarian has enough of its own class identity already and there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>54671476
>I'm too much of a brain dead vegetable to come up with an actual rebuttal or even something original and clever to insult this person with
>better call him a cuck

I hope you get raped by a black man with AIDS.
>>
>>54671621
Remain angry, virgin
>>
>>54671621
>>54671476
You two getting this mad over a class in a tabletop game?

Remember rule 1 of /tg/, faggots.
>>
>>54671518
Ancient /5eg/ meme.
>>
>>54671223
My issue is that if I wanted to make a deal with a god of some kind I'd be a Cleric, if I wanted some obscure knowledge character I'd be a Wizard, if I wanted to be serving a Fey I'd be a Druid and if I wanted to have the power of some great creature I'd be a Sorcerer.

Warlock's filling a niche that didn't need filling, and it doesn't even do it all that well.
>>
>>54671368
That's what I was actually trying to get, better Gold Dragon art. Now to find it in a bigger size...

>>54671410
>He doesn't like asian dragons with moustache
I do, though, I just think their art in the 5e MM looks goofy.
>>
>>54671692
Not only does it do it poorly it's counterintuitive. Like warlocks powers COME from these pacts and yet without the pacts they're completely worthless. Why would they get "great" powers if they're not trading on being great without it?

That's always been the reason for devils and them making contracts with wizards, they SERVE in hell. Or wherever, the favor you owe in return from a fey is something they EXPECT to cash in on. If they're a weakling in the first place WHY do they need a favor from them?

>Warlocks in the lore have always been powerful wizards/sorcerers/etc before ever being labeled for their dealings
>Warlocks in the gameplay have none of that
>>
>>54671155
Eternal life evil genie fuck ups are the worst. They always leave you in some sort of endless hell where you can't really do anything
>>
>>54671135
>>54671155
>>54671735
If there's no ironic torture in it for you they'll leave you alone.
>Ask for the ability to control your own lifespan
>Eternal torture
>Fine I'll just die then, fuck you
That's how you win against genies.
>>
>>54670828
It just seems that "everything INT-related" is a pretty bad gap.
>>54670913
I'm just scared as fuck to play Wizards, I find them too much to keep track off.
>>
>>54671044
>>54671772
Wish for a deck of many things and immediately draw a ton of cards. Fuck the DM over for trying to fuck you over.
>>
Best way to build Roy Mustang?
>>
>>54671900
Phoenix Sorc
>>
>>54671886
Deck of Mutually Assured Destruction
>>
File: Antimage.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Antimage.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
How do I go about making an anti-mage type character? I mean melee who's specialised at fighting casters? Is it even possible?
>>
>>54665310
Has anyone done the math needed to be able to run 4e monster statblocks in 5e?

Ideally im looking for a handy numbers conversion table that converts things "good enough", such that I can just keep it on an index card and then use 4e monster stat blocks.
>>
>>54671996
Assassin with Alert and Mage Slayer. Basically kill them in the first round and failing that kill them when they cast a spell.
>>
>>54672000
Not gonna work.

Use the 5e guidelines for defense/offense based on level, and then just rip the abilities out.
>>
>>54671294
At least they aren't sorcerers of the 20 levels to get back 4 sp on a short rest.
>>
>>54671881
>It just seems that "everything INT-related" is a pretty bad gap
How so? Arcana and Religion are barely useful skills as it is, and History and Nature are moderately important at best. Investigation is the only really good INT skill, and you can find a way to take proficiency in that anyway.
>>
>>54671881
>>54672109
If you're that desperate for skillchecks AND Charisma then Lore Bard is your guy. Jack of all trades is fucking OP too.
>>
File: Sovereign-3.jpg (538KB, 1280x1725px) Image search: [Google]
Sovereign-3.jpg
538KB, 1280x1725px
If someone wanted to play a hellish warrior with maybe some fire abilities what build would you recommend?
>>
>>54672132
Being DM
>>
>>54672132
Fiendlock with Hellish Rebuke
>>
>>54672132
Sorclockadin with GFB?
>>
>>54672066
Is that all there is? That's a little disappointing, I was hoping for items or something. Oh well thanks anyway
>>
>>54672164
People don't tend to recommend items because there's no guarantee of items - they are entirely up to DM discretion. When you start talking about 'what items would you recommend', you're best off just going to the DM and going 'Hey so this is the concept that I have, could I get some items to work towards that'?
>>
>>54672164
Generally relying on your DM's ability to give you items makes a build weak. You want to establish the core of the build, being your abilities and feats, which can not be decided by the DM so you are guaranteed to have.

Obviously, a wand of Counterspell, Dispelling Rod or Amulet of the Abjurer would make you more powerful at killing mages, but your DM is not guaranteed to give you those.
>>
>>54665857
I really wanna see a sketch of a halfling barbarian wielding a lance.
>>
>>54672125
>>54672109
Our Swashbuckler already has 19CHA so the CHA isn't inherently an issue.
What's playing a Bard like anyhow?
>>
File: KhaBeleth_full.jpg (441KB, 1235x2000px) Image search: [Google]
KhaBeleth_full.jpg
441KB, 1235x2000px
Okay, so looking at it would a 1 fighter/ 19 warlock be a good idea? I'd like to start with armor proficiency + it lets me role play making a deal with the devil. I guess I'd spend more time blasting spells than actually fighting though
>>
>>54672310
Pretty good, but it's worth going fighter 2 for action surge.

Could also consider Paladin for smites.
>>
>>54672299
See: >>54669701
>>
>>54672299
>What's playing a Bard like anyhow?
Fuckin' magical
>>
>>54668324
Pretty good. We have great weeks and OK weeks, had an OK week just past.

The week before that, the party divided heavily but we actually had a really good session.

The main bulk of the party staged a casino heist where they... mostly just murdered all the casino guards. But they had fun.

One guy went off and broke an innocent man out of prison.

The last person was trying to recover a body for speak with dead to prove the innocence of the man in prison, but it was washed up on an island guarded by a kraken. I made sure the kraken destroyed her boat so she washed up on the mainland, but her assistant (a nervous man who follows her around because he has a crush on her) seemed to die, until he washed up on the island.

He made it back with the body, but her familiar was permanently killed (for reasons I won't go into) in order to help him back. She was so emotionally drained by the experience I thought she might cry.
>>
File: bleckbard.jpg (1MB, 2645x3186px) Image search: [Google]
bleckbard.jpg
1MB, 2645x3186px
How would I go about making a pirate class? is there one already in one of the other books? if not, how would you do it?
>>
>>54672376
Look up the Swashbuckler Rogue archetype in SCAG
>>
>>54672299
A jack of all trades master of spellcasting, skillmonkeying, class-comboing, bullshitting, and merrymaking. Gives you a serious excuse to keep a wardrobe full of disguises and props as well as fine tune your skills with "worthless" illusion and fluff cantrips and spells.
>>
>>54672331
What kind of paladin takes a deal with the devil? I guess oathbreakers can still smite, though
>>
>>54668324
We haven't started yet. I'm kinda eager to.
>>
>>54672548
>What kind of paladin takes a deal with the devil? I guess oathbreakers can still smite, though

Avengers, if it means they can kill more evil.

There's also two more evil archetypes in UAs.
>>
>>54672332
>>54669701
>>54672387
>>54672341
This shit makes it sound awful tempting but I have no idea how I'd play them and I have the feeling I'd be expected to sing and shit
>>
>>54672593
>I have the feeling I'd be expected to sing and shit
Bards can be instrumentalists just as easily as singers, poets, or even dancers. If you're not comfortable singing then don't be a singing bard.
>>
>>54672593
That's the best part, you don't even have to do musics. Performance could be anything, acting or poetry or oration and shit. Stage magic? Maybe even writing though not sure how easy that would be to work into a game.
>Proficiency: Ventriloquism
>>
File: Kha-Beleth_Heroes_VI.png (539KB, 596x739px) Image search: [Google]
Kha-Beleth_Heroes_VI.png
539KB, 596x739px
>>54672565
I actually kinda like the idea of paladin's smite as it gives me an excuse for my armored warlock caster to actually be in melee. So I guess I go Cha>Str>Con>the rest?
>>
File: Banjo.png (8KB, 164x214px) Image search: [Google]
Banjo.png
8KB, 164x214px
>>54672613
>>
File: how2bard.gif (928KB, 245x170px) Image search: [Google]
how2bard.gif
928KB, 245x170px
>>54672593
every time my party expects me to sing ICly I laugh at them. My character knows how to sing, and also how to use a sword and cast magic. I don't expect my druid to turn into a bear IRL.
>>
>>54672646
There1s also a "warlock smite" in UAs, if you want to go looking.

I think you'd be primarily STR (unless you go Hexblade or Shillelahgh), and smites don't scale off of CHA, so I'd go STR>CHA>CON
>>
Progress on expanding the herbalism mechanic is going great. The low-level blind bard is happy since he has something to contribute to the party instead of accidentally wandering into a shithole and becoming the princess in the castle, the monk is satisfied because he can pick how to help the others instead of being just another source of DPS the entire campaign, and the pirate rogue feels he is more independent now with different sources of buffs and heals. The cleric didn't care much since he doesn't have proficiency in herbalism, but appreciated the effort.

At its core, the skill can still be used as it's written in the book and nothing changes, but if a player decides to be elaborate about it, he can pick some advantages in exchange for higher difficulty, and it's still very lore-friendly.
>>
Here's a question. Does Cloak of Flies charisma advantage/disadvantage affect Necrotic shroud's modifier positively or negatively?

As far as I can tell it's negative is it doesn't specifically say Necrotic shroud is an intimidate, merely a Charisma check
>>
>>54671455
>I have to spend more time optimizing in order to do two things in the party that two other players built their whole characters around doing.
You're just mad the party doesn't need you.
>>
>>54672593
You don't HAVE to sing. Do so if you think it's appropriate/funny without being too annoying, or just if you want to.

There's a lot of kinds of bards. Crazy charismatic rockstars, prissy theater types, wandering storytellers, tortured artists, anything you can justify performing in some manner.
>>
>>54672658
weak
>>
File: 1500387573758.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1500387573758.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
>>54672674
Thanks for all the advice man. I definitely wouldn't go hexblade, while it's cool I'm looking for more of a fiery feel and the whole deal with the devil vibe of the char. Now I just need to find a fun background for my tiefling and I'm all set. Sadly no more demon sovereign art, so have a landscape
>>
>>54672769
Hmm, wonder if you could manage a wandering gourmand. Chef'ing it up in the royal courts and forever seeking NEW FLAVORS. Searching the depths of ancient libraries hunting recipes and shit.
>>
>>54672789
I'm happy to throw my voice around dramatically and ham it up, but it's better for everyone that I don't try to legit sing.
>>
Where can I find a crash course on writing songs/poetry that are subtle and symbolic so I can bard it the fuck up
>>
>>54672791
No probs.

I prefer to look at the mechanical angle, so the absolute maximum fire you could do would be something like Undying Light warlock (CHA to fire damage) + Fire Dragon Sorc (CHA to fire damage again) + Paladin of your choice (Armore, weapons, smite, optionally searing smite).

You'd need really high stats and lots of levels to pull it off though, so probably just infernal warlock + paladin works better.
>>
>>54672863
Limericks and haikus, fraud it up.
>>
>>54672895
>>54672863
Limericks would go well with vicious mockery
>>
>>54672899
I don't have vicious mockery yet
I'm not comfortable coming up with good insults on the fly yet and I'm not sure how my character would do it

>>54672895
Limericks are cool and I'd definitely consider throwing them in but they feel too whimsical for anything serious
>>
Who's been catching up on Dice, Camera, Action?
>>
>>54672939
I don't feel like coming up with a new insult every time so my bard ends up yelling stuff in a language no one else in the party knows, and the party gets a kick out of it. Something like 'he lets out a string of Infernal, and the only word you understand is 'Doug'", that being the name of the dickarse rogue of the group.
>>
>>54672939
Yeah, I don't think I could pull enough insults out to master the Valor Mock+Attack style. Would need practice.
>>
What's the best animal companion for dungeoneering revised ranger?
>>
>>54673148
Giant Badger
>>
How are the 5e classes in combat? Disappointing or?
>>
>>54673148
Giant weasel. Dungeons are basically just big rabbit holes.
>>
>>54673162
Yeah, they're incredibly disappointing. That's why no one plays this edition.
>>
>>54673162
Yes. All of them are disappointing. They're all disappointing at every other pillar of the game as well.
>>
>>54673162
Honestly out of all the 5e classes I think the 5e classes are average at best at combat
>>
File: haha.jpg (5KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
5KB, 480x360px
>>54673209
>>
File: 1494181345904.jpg (30KB, 514x536px) Image search: [Google]
1494181345904.jpg
30KB, 514x536px
>>54673172
>>54673182
>>54673209
>>54673238
>>
>>54673158
>>54673170
Am I missing something? Wolf seems like the best one. Better damage than giant badger, the passive trip (low DC but still), pack tactics, and the same smell passive, that also works on hearing.

The only advantage the badger seems to have is slightly higher HP.
>>
>>54673158
Would you rule a small creature could ride the badger while burrowing, or follow it through it's tunnel?
>>54673170
Apart from their speed, seems pretty lackluster compared to say panther
>>
>>54673162
I don't know. Didn't play them all.
>>
File: 12421414.gif (889KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
12421414.gif
889KB, 500x286px
What is the main class you guys play? The one you favor over others if you got the option to?
>>
>>54673708
Sorcerer is my favorite. Started playing it back in 3.5 and it has been a staple for me ever since. Something about sorcerers actually having a feeling of magic not just learning words and movements like a wizard seems cooler to me.
>>
>>54672164
You could also try monk for the "kill them before they can cast" approach. With Alert you should be going first and getting your stunning strikes off against the mages' generally weak CON saves.

If you're willing to do magic yourself then Ancients Paladin has one of the best anti-magic abilities in its aura of warding, which gives you resistance to all damage done by spells. Combine that with the Paladin's Aura of Protection giving you basically proficiency on every save and you should be well insulated against magic.

If you're willing to go DEEP into magic then a full caster with counterspell will be your best defense against magic. No need to save against spells if they never get casted. Other spells to look out for are Silence, Dispel Magic and Anti-Magic Field.

If you want to be a martial that fights mages, then either go Totem Barbarian and take the Bear Totem to get resistance to all but psychic damage, or be a Monster Hunter Fighter, which gives you precision strike, a couple of anti-magic maneuvers, and the ability to cast detect magic as a ritual.
>>
>>54673708
Got a thing being a LN Paladin.
>>
>3 days away from being a player in curse of strahd
>still no idea what to play

the rest of the group is a druid with regular druid issues with necromancy and evil
a bog standard fighter on a quest and a mysterious monk whose intentions aren't clear yet
>>
>>54673868
Light Cleric
Mad Zealot with a penchant for burning anything remotely blasphemous with holy fire.
God says that these other guys need your help.
>>
>>54673868
>>54673899
Inquisition!
>>
>>54673868
Play a whispers bard
See how well you can hide yourself as just another bard from the druid
>>
File: 1432573586968.gif (883KB, 1177x577px) Image search: [Google]
1432573586968.gif
883KB, 1177x577px
>>54671325
counterpoint
>>
>>54673868
Tabaxi Paladin/Cleric, emissary of Kelemvor.
Your duty is to restore order to the dead.
Because I recently watched The Mummy (Brendan Fraser one).
>>
>>54667564
My entire group does. Keep in mind we tend to play fast and loose with the rules most of the time, but we all figure that the cultures of many of these races are partially defined by their limitations. So we are all just kind of okay with keeping them.
>>
>>54674018
That's fucking majestic as fuck. Any more?
>>
>>54672958
I tried episode one. Does it get better? The audio quality is awful and the cleric and sorcerer/warlock/whatever both need to calm down a touch.
>>
>>54672965
That actually sounds funny.
>>
>>54673708
Bard, mainly. Sometimes maybe barbarian or druid if I want a bit of variety.

I played rangers a lot more in the previous editions, but they just got fucked hard here.
>>
File: approved_rapun.gif (656KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
approved_rapun.gif
656KB, 700x394px
>>54673780
>>
>>54674019
>Tabaxi in Curse of Strahd

No. Bad kitty!
>>
>>54674339
The production quality improves over time and the characters all kinda even out but Anna never stops being the biggest ham in the room.
>>
>>54674418
What's wrong?
>>
Is there a way to make an effective character that punches people across the room, or is a character that uses a warhammer to knock people across the room going to be better every time?
>>
>>54674469
Open Hand Monk, its right there
>>
>>54674487
Oh. Duh, I'm an idiot. Thanks.
>>
File: PRESENTATION.png (412KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
PRESENTATION.png
412KB, 1024x640px
>wizard with fog cloud, fly, colour spray and thunderwave

YOU DARE CHALLENGE MEGAMIND?
>>
Alright /5eg/ I'm looking for the right deity for a Forge Cleric Firbolg that would task him with smithing a new legendary axe. Gond is already taken, so who do I have left?
>>
>>54674449
Barovians have stoned and drowned women for thinking them Devil's consorts, what the hell do you think the land of pitchforks and torches is going to do is they see a giant cat man for the first time?
>>
>>54674522
You can't have two people who worship Gond?
>>
>>54674606
I could make it work, but I'm trying to avoid the coincidence
>>
>>54674585
Pet him.
>>
>>54674522
Surtur is your best bet.
>>
>>54674657
How about Thor? I mean I know his is not the fire, but he's a Smith god
>>
>>54674673
I could see the coven of hags giving him a Warlock Pact in exchange for Familiar services, I guess
>>
>>54674522
Corellon Larethian, for crafting a work of art
Sheela Peryroyl/Chauntea, for crafting an agrarian tool
Kossuth, for general forging goodness
Maybe Moradin or Grumbar
Flandal Steelskin, a god of metalwork
You have a lot of options.
>>
>>54674657
This is high fantasy. There are no coincidences, only destiny.
>>
The party warlock has made friends with an intellect devourer, based on the monster manual it's still loyal to its creators, but thanks to dark one's own luck, and her assistance, the intellect devourer took the body of an apprentice wizard in the city they are in.

So the rules say when an intellect devourer steals a body, it knows everything the creature knew, including spells and languages.

My question is, does the intellect devourer remember the spells after it leaves the body, the rules don't say it doesn't. If it does, then it can use the spells it currently has to gain a stronger body and mind, with strong spells, and remember the old spells. If he finds a wizard with hold person, he can body thief anyone at any time. Just the saving throw is gonna be easy to beat, cause it has like a DC11.
>>
>>54674657
Is it really that far-fetched that two members of the same religion would associate with each other?
>>
>>54674657
Dude, two people worshiping the same god is fucking rife with roleplaying opportunities.
Imagine the other guy coming to the cleric of his god for guidance. The interactions could be extremely neato.
>>
>>54674980
>his table doesn't mandate everyone have a different race/class/background/religion
>>
>>54674688
>>54674744
>>54674698

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm leaning towards Surtur, but I'm gonna think on it before committing

>>54674980
>>54675178
So here's what I'm going for. One of my players, a super old gnome forge cleric, was tasked by Gond to reforge this rusty shield at two ancient braziers. Doing this will spark its ancient power to return and help protect the masses for generations.

Now, should the party reach one of these braziers, they'll come across this super old firbolg (enslaved to forge something irrelevant to the point) who was tasked by HIS god long ago to reforge an ancient axe, to lead the masses and the like. So as >>54674754 said, there's something at work in the background.

I could have them both worship Gond and question his motives. I could also have them worship two separate gods, implying that they're either in talks about some looming issue, or they're at war with each other. I'm leaning more towards the latter, but it's a fluid hook at the moment.
>>
Has anybody ever had a chance to see/play the Mystic class? How was it? What class would you say it's most similar to? Also is it Op or weak
>>
>>54675464
I've played with two mystics, it reminds me of warlock in a way but it's really nothing like any other classes, they are really strong wth offensive abilities, but they do not get any of the REALLY good defensive abilities. A super powerful mystic who was carrying the game was killed due to polymorph and disintegrate.

If he had indomitable or could reroll saving throws like a monk he would have been fine with his strong wisdom save, by the 3 killed him.
>>
>>54666537
Don't listen to all of these replies, a level 20 wizard would die to a level 3 shadow monk with sentinel feat.
>>
>>54666109
A disguised slaad
>>
We're going down, so abandon ship

>>54676412
>>54676412

My deepest apologies to the original artists I have injured with that picture.
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.