[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 53

File: millionhoursoflabor.jpg (104KB, 560x792px) Image search: [Google]
millionhoursoflabor.jpg
104KB, 560x792px
/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54665310

Custom character portraits: How lazy are yours?
>>
Why would you give the Arcane Trickster a version of Mage Hand that still requires verbal components

Why would you make it so that using a core class ability requires the rogue to sneak into place, and then immediately give away his position by speaking the magic words "tickle your dickle" aloud while pickpocketing you

Why
>>
>>54676477
Whisper the verbal components, senpai
Roll a fucking Stealth check
>>
>>54676412
I've mocked up like half a dozen characters in Hero Machine. They take maybe a day to make each with some minor tweaking afterwards.
>>
>>54676412
>Custom character portraits: How lazy are yours?
I don't make PC portraits
>>
>>54676477
Because otherwise mage hand would be just better than the thief ability

juts multiclass sorcerer
>>
Whats your biggest regret about your current character anons? If you even regret anything

Mine is taking heightened spell instead of subtle spell. I thought I'd be able to get loads of use from heighten but I've found I tend to just twin those spells instead, I think I've used heighten once maybe twice, why hold person a single dude when you could do it to two? Meanwhile there's been a load of situations where being undetectable while I fuck with someones head would've been so much better
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 707x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 707x1024px
So I have the spell Booming Blade and I was wondering; how would you interpret willing movement? I feel like if the target moves using its movement speed, even if its caused by a spell like Fear, it should make Booming Blade damage it, and only effects that push the target to another location should be exempt.

How would you rule this /5eg/?
>>
File: blackbolt.jpg (28KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
blackbolt.jpg
28KB, 250x350px
>>54676412
Sup senpai.
How do I Black Bolt?
I was thinking Mystic, what are some fitting disciplines?
>>
File: q5dC8xo.jpg (335KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
q5dC8xo.jpg
335KB, 1920x1280px
So, I'm running an online campaign, and we're two sessions in. Everything is going pretty well, but one of my players has gotten the bad end of things. Like, getting crit three times in a round, failing every save against paralysis, and we've been fighting undead so his bard power are kinda useless. Hasn't had a time to shine.

I'm looking for ideas on how to make him have his 'moment'. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>54676937
Pick a less shitty franchise.
>>
>>54677058
Have him find an ancient hymn that banishes undead
>>
>>54676932

There's a ruling on it somewhere, possibly in sage advice

Basically pushes don't count, charm effects etc do
>>
>>54676932
I'd rule it same as AoO. Using movement speed or reaction (e.g. dissonant whispers) triggers it, misty step does not, being pushed or otherwis moved does not.
>>
>>54676932
Compelled movement such as from Fear or Dissonant Whispers doesn't constitute as "willing" for the purposes of Booming Blade. Neither does a push or shove effect, obviously.
>>
I would argue that the "willingness" comes from whether or not they pass the saving throw.
For instance if a target has fear cast upon them, the action of passing the saving throw should be interpreted as the target not being scared and choosing not to move, and the action of failing the saving throw should be interpreted as the target being frightened and running away in fear.
>>
>>54677224
Meant for
>>54677174
Sorry
>>
When is a good level to multiclass? Thinking of doing a wizard cleric character.
>>
so is there a list with all the races supported by 5e through Additional content like volo's book?
>>
>>54677174
Found the ruling.
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/703385127582171138
>If a spell forces you to move, as dissonant whispers does, you're not moving of your own volition.
>>
>>54677265
yes, check tools in OP
>>
>>54677284
Jeez im a goof, thanks mate.
>>
>>54677058
Make sure the next batch of loot has something nice and suited to his character, maybe?
>>
I have a noob question. Sorry in advance. This weekend I'll be running my first ever group, and I'm trying hard to learn the rules. Only one of the 6 party members has played D&D before, and that wasn't 5e.

I'm looking at the goblin stats in the Starter Set books. He has 14 dex (+2), and he has a scimitar: Hit 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

I'm confused about the "Hit 5". Does it mean he gets +7 to hit (2 from dex, and this 5), or is it the damage average from 1d6 +2?
>>
>>54677490
average damage
>>
>>54677257
After level 5, usually. Classes get big jumps in power at levels 5, 9, and 13.
Consider only taking one or two levels of cleric so you don't miss out on too many high-level spells.
>>
>>54677490

Okay, thank you! Thankfully most of 5e seems ok. I remember buying the 4e starter set and being very confused about combat.
>>
>>54677490
"+4 to hit" is how much you add to the attack roll
"Hit: 5 (1d6+2)" is the damage when you hit, "5" being the average.
>>
File: 1501735769311.jpg (243KB, 818x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1501735769311.jpg
243KB, 818x1000px
>>54677111

Not a bad idea, maybe an lyre or something that lets him use charm effects on undead.

>>54677340

Yeah, I've got that set up already. I'm looking more for something like a rp/combat encounter where he can be awesome.
>>
>>54677562
Undead don't have the same grab bag of immunities that they did in 3.PF. a lot of undead can be charmed or frightened, and most of them can be hurt by psychic and even necrotic damage.
>>
>>54677562
I would give it to him as a piece of knowledge rarher than treasure
>>
>>54677562
give us a bit more about his character
what type of bard is he?
>>
Anyone else takes advantage of Dissonant Whisper and Booming Blade?

Also, what do you say for your Bardic Inspirations, Vicious Mockeries, or Dissonant Whispers?
>>
>>54677776
Earlier on this very thread we concluded that that combo doesn't work.
>>
I remember a long time ago I found in one of these threads a hombrewed Rogue archetype (maybe it was atework of Assassin?) that provided new rules for the brewing of poisons, and allowed you to brew very basic poisons easily, etc. and I was hoping someone knew what I was talking about? I'd like to find it again. God help me for saying this, but it might have been by c0re.

Basically I've just always wanted to play a Rogue that's a skilled assassin that specializes in using poisons to bring their targets down instead of sustained firepower.

Do you guys have any experience with making poisons or poisoncrafting more accessible in-game?
>>
>>54677826
Correct not in the way you might be thinking. Dissonant Whispers to cause an attack of opportunity with warcaster you can cast Booming Blade. They are not willingly moving so they do not explode but they are still 30+ feet away from you, if they do not have a ranged option they are going to explode or stand still.
>>
>>54677866
Forced movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.
>>
>>54677891
Normally yes, but due to it using your reaction it does.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/29/does-the-movement-from-dissonant-whispers-provoke-opportunity-attacks/
>>
>>54677891
Forced movement is defined as effects that do not use your movement, action, or reaction. So if a spell knocks you away, like Thunderwave, that's forced movement. Dissonant Whispers uses your reaction and as much movement as you have left, making it trigger an AoO when you flee.
>>
What are some good ways to abuse Demiplane?
>>
Rate:

My house rules on filtering players:

Session 0:

Here is where I filter obviously shit players you know the usual stuff but I have added a few more indicators

Mentions (or behaves) something exactly like or similar to:

>Do you have a table for critical fumbles?*
>I'm rolling a drow*
>My character is a woman*
>My character is an underage woman
>Here is my homebrew snowflake race*
>I wanna play CN because I do what I want when I want*
>Don't be stingy with magical items or this game becomes boring
>Is fat*
>Is a mega fat
>Bad hygiene
>Story of the character involves being somekind of superhero yet we are lvl 1*
>Snowflake backstory used to gain in game advantage
>Makes a character to make a political point (I'm a strong woman who fought the evil lich donal drumpf, you know that kind of shit)
>Arrives late*

The ones with * are huge redflags and must be investigated closely, 80% of the time it means a shit player, the ones without a * it means straight up getting the boot
>>
>>54677775

He's a UA bard type, the college of blades I think? The one where they get to poison a weapon attack. It's only the second session, and like I said, he spent most of the games down or paralyzed.
>>
Are there matchlocks, wheelocks, and muskets in 5th edition?
>>
>>54678060
Just wondering: why do you put female characters on the same level as being late or crit tables?

Underage women I get, but if someone wants their character to be a chick and isn't slutting it up everywhere they go, what's the problem?
>>
Why can't people stick to their roles.
>>
File: fullretard.jpg (28KB, 450x373px) Image search: [Google]
fullretard.jpg
28KB, 450x373px
>>54678060
>My character is a woman*
You were so close, too.
>>
File: read nigga read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read nigga read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54678118
DMG Page 268 has stats for everything from a musket to a laser rifle.
>>
>>54678164
Because a lot of players misguidedly try to express themselves through the character's rules mechanics rather than through the character's role in the story. In their eyes, a class that does what it's expected to do is a failure because it doesn't demonstrate how kewl and unique you are for hacking together a weird build based on exploiting obscure rules.
>>
>>54678342
guilty
>>
>>54678164

What, class roles, character roles?
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41KB, 569x428px
>>54678060
>drow
But drow are literally a core race now. It's possible to get a player who's new to D&D, who's never heard of Drizzt.
>>
>>54678190
To be fair, they may not be a DM.
>>
>>54678060
>REEEEEEE USING WHAT'S NOW A CORE RACE
>REEEEEE FEMALE CHARACTER

You sound pretty fat yourself, bro
>>
Eyo, I'm making a cursed ring that gives +1 to saving throws thats the signature ring of a homebrew Devil lord, going to have the party find it in a dungeon that has been taken over by cultists to this devil lord, and there is a statue where he holds the ring out to any who he deems worthy.
What curse would be good for this? I was thinking about the player having to make a will save everytime they decide not to kill a creature or knocking it out, and the curse cannot be removed by the ring being taken off
>>
So i joined a group of good friends and rolled a character at level 7 because that's were everyone else was. Basic things:
Fighter, champion, heavy armor, shield mastery, and I just hit 8 and multiclassed into sorcerer for some useful spells.
I decided not to be a basic bitch and chose to use a dagger as my weapon rather than boring old great weapons but my DM was cool about it and made it magic so it did d4+d6 damage as to not be shit.
I seem to be carrying the rest of my group in fights. I was an hour late last session due to work and saved 4 of the 6 of them from 3 air elementals, i literally just ran in and crit two of them (improved criticals and savage criticals or whatever theyre called), but only after 2 of them died.

We also fought a few sessions ago against a necromancer and his aberrations, where I solo'd the necro and my party took the 3 largish dog, patched up bear, and toxic rat, but only finished the bear after i killed the necro and came back with 60% health remaining

Am I playing with shitters? I'm not even rolling that well most of the time, they just have no good damage and I dont know what they were doing in fights before i joined.
Rest of the crew is a dwarf beserker, human warlock, elf pally, thunder cleric, gnome druid, and some fucken fae ranger bullshit
>>
>>54678664

>outdamaging a warlock
>as a fighter

How.wmv
>>
>>54678694
it's my brother's character and he made him mad, unable to talk other than telepathy, and mostly useless spells because he likes to fuck around with enemies and NPCs. Most fights he just casts fly and eldritch blasts one guy or summons his spectral sword or something terrible.

im literally just running in and hitting them with a flaming dagger, even helped finishing off a bed dragon (don't ask) by climbing out a high window and swinging at it for 12 and 15 or something
>>
>>54678694
>any class
>outdamaging a fighter
FTFY
>>
>>54678806

I mean true, but Blaster Masters are literally the best DPS in the game
>>
>>54678744
>finishing off a bed dragon (don't ask)
Well now I have to. Elaborate.
>>
>>54677270
You know, that kind of bugs me. I can understand things like thunderwave and other 'push' effects not triggering AO's ("the target moves too fast", I guess), but they really went out of there way to make sure there's no synergy of abilities possible with that stuff.
>>
>>54678890
See >>54677909

Dissonant Whispers is a great spell, on a failed save the target takes 3d6 psychic damage, uses their reaction, and provokes attack of opportunity. All of this for a 1st level spell slot.
>>
>>54678991
Yes, but I find it kind of silly that it doesn't trigger something like Booming Blade.
>>
>>54678870
At the end of a short campaign about a sorcerer who was trying to control dragons, we found his lair and snuck up on it at day time because we knew he would be sleeping as he had been out all night performing shenanigans. So as a group we sneak up to his tower and begin climbing, with the non stealthy ones like me (heavy armour) waiting at the bottom. one of the crew (who i forgot to list, a bard that got bored of barding and went into guns and tinkering) snuck up to this sorcerer's chambers and stole the staff that he had been using to mind control dragons. He tried attacking the sorcerer with his own staff, rolled a 1 (this player is our group's designated "guys, he's doing it again" guy) and completely missed the sleeping person, hit the bed he was sleeping on and the bed began to churn and shift while the sorcerer laughed at the sneaky people who failed a charisma save, stunned by the bed's movements. the sorcerer then grabbed back his staff and flew outside for safety and the bed dragon broke through the top of the tower and rained splinters from above.

thanks to this dumbass trying to get a poetic kill on a super powerful sorcerer, we went from 4 guys about to get a surprise round on the final boss to those 4 being stunned and us having to fight the sorcerer AND a dragon that he controlled.

i was annoyed a bit, but it was fucking hilarious how bad it went and it ended with no lost characters and some nice loot for the others so i didn't mind
>>
>>54679011
Well look at it from a balance stand point, that's a ton of damage that will be done just for failing one save.
>>
>>54678577
What happens when they fail the Wisdom save? I'm assuming you have to kill whatever you just downed based off of what you wrote.
>>
>>54679045
Honestly, that doesn't even really bother me. Outside of higher levels (where I imagine the save should be a bit easier for them to resist, or they are mooks), it requires two characters working together and use of a spell slot. I personally *like* synergy like this, and would like to see it encourage versus "If the dude runs away voluntarily he blows up, but if he runs away in a panic, it doesn't blow up, because the spell knows somehow." I can get the idea of it not exploding off of being pushed / thrown around, but the target is actively *running*.
>>
>>54679011
If you have War Caster, just Dissonant Whispers them with your action, then Booming Blade them if they fail the save. They trigger an AoO and the fulfill the condition for BB's secondary damage.
>>
>>54679187
That's part of the discussion here - they *don't* trigger the condition for BB's secondary damage; they end up (likely) a good distance away from you, and then either have to engage from range/spell cast, or they stand there - because they move to try to engage further, they explode.
>>
>>54679187
They don't fulfill the secondary damage for Booming Blade because the target is not willingly moving. That's what the anon wants it to do, personally, I think that would be a touch silly to near guarantee an extra 3/5/7d8 just for failing a saving throw on a 1st level spell.
>>
File: 1475591049984.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475591049984.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
How to deal with a session being cancelled?
>>
>>54679308
What do you mean "how to deal with it"?
>>
>>54679371
It's the only thing I look forward in the entire week.
>>
>>54679378
Join another group. That's what I did
>>
I really want to share my group's story with /5eg/, but I know that at least one guy is lurking here occasionally and I can't have that.
>>
File: 1483952700453.jpg (11KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
1483952700453.jpg
11KB, 228x221px
>>54679411
I don't have time during the week, and the group doesn't have a fixed date and time during the weekend due to their own personal life, so I can't join a sat/sun group either.

I suppose I could try finding a night time group and lose a couple hours of sleep.

Is this what being addicted to crack feels like?
>>
I'm a shit artist but I insist on drawing my own character art because I enjoy drawing. I made this for my Adventurer's League character when I first tried out 5e before I made friends and started my own campaign. Yes I am aware Draaven is the name of someone in League of Legends or something, I wanted to make a grim, icy dwarf warrior type.
>>
>>54679489
I see your problem. I like watching critical role while playing videogames or something productive to satiate me during the week
>>
File: 1493305320284.jpg (43KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
1493305320284.jpg
43KB, 400x343px
>>54679544
>>
>>54679489
1-shots are the way to go when a session ends up cancelled or you're just feeling the hunger.
>>
Alright, dumb idea time. I want to make guns available in my setting- Not "real" guns, but ones that cast cantrips instead. Is there anything flat-out horrible about the below ones? They're balanced off of the DMG ones.

Damage won't increase at level 5, 11, or 17 because there would probably be other weapons available to fill that role. Or should I change that?

>Fire Bolter
>1d10 Fire, Range: 30/60, Reload (9 Shots), Can start fires

>Elec Volter
>1d6 Lightning, Range: 15/30, Adv. if enemy is wearing metal armor, enemy can't take reactions
>Can cast Lightning Lure at a range of 20 feet (Pulls 15 feet), 1d8 damage if opponent is within 5 feet

>Frost Shot
>1d8 Cold, Range: 30/60, Reload (6 Shots), Reduces speed by 10 feet on hit
>>
>>54679567
What's wrong bud
>>
>>54679614

I'd just treat them as weapons rather than exactly like cantrips. So +dex to damage and fighters can fan the hammer rather well.

As mechanically, very few classes get much use out of attack cantrips other than the people who already have cantrips.
>>
Rate these Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade like spells.
>>
>>54679674
That was the plan, actually. Dex can be used for extra damage, then it can be treated as a weapon for effects like action surge or extra attack.

As for your point on attack cantrips, you're completely right. I just didn't just want to say "Here's a gun" and go with that.
>>
>>54679614
>>54679725
i think it's pretty cool and not crazy unbalanced, would use if it were appropriate for my game. You might have the question of things like Sharpshooter pop up though.
>>
File: 1500833446474.jpg (15KB, 401x277px) Image search: [Google]
1500833446474.jpg
15KB, 401x277px
Two of my players have fucked up big time
Help me decide their fate.

>Player 1 dragonborn monk lawful good
Willingly sliced his hand with a dagger and let the blood pour onto an ancient magical relic that is powered by blood magic and was found with two others (out of 5) inside a sealed cave filled with generations of dead bodies, HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of dead bodies upon an alter to the god of death.

Player 2 dwarf cleric lawful good
Wrote "send nudes" on the same alter.
>>
>>54679820
it's altar you fucking ape
with an a
>>
>>54679867
Well next time I right it down I'll remember that.
>>
>>54679906
>right
Cheeky.
>>
>>54679820
sounds like it's time to murder your players and laugh at them when they complain

unless you were at all unclear about everything you wrote here, there's not really any excuse for them to be pissed about it doing awful shit
>>
>>54679820
Greater demon ingrain's the image of their butthole into their minds, go to the DMG and consult the insanity table.
>>
File: Lionel.jpg (11KB, 200x182px) Image search: [Google]
Lionel.jpg
11KB, 200x182px
>>54679820
Kill 'em.
>>
>>54677983
The spell's concept seems kind of more impressive than the actual uses for it to me. Unless you're tricking people into staying there past the hour (I figure if you can force them to stay in place for an hour you could probably just kill them anyway) it's basically just a rope trick you store shit in. Almost anything more elaborate than that probably has a spell that can do it more directly, but I guess a spell like dominate monster or even really charm person could make it pretty "lethal"
>>
>>54679686
Don't know how the Magus class works but some of these are really strong, escpecially Rime Strike. I also think Bloodletting Bite is a little bit meta game-y
>>
>>54679820
>The altar begins to make a strange, humming noise
>If they flee, the bodies begin to animate rapidly
>At the exit, it seems as if they're free, but then they're confronted by avatars of said death god

Or, uh, have the avatars show up and force them to draw cards from the deck of many things until they die?
>>
>>54677776
look at this jojo ass lookin bard piece of shit

10/10 would play
>>
>>54679756
Sharpshooter might cause weirdness. There's a few other feats that could make it strange as well.
>>
>>54679972
They where well aware of the location, the dangers they faced and what they interact with.
The relics the found on the
>ALTAR
where examined by a mage who TOLD THEM about that it's super likely to be powered by blood magic.
The Dragonborn goes ahead and cuts himself

I can only figure that he heard "blood magic" and realised HE has blood!

As for "send nudes" cleric
He's already falling from grace, I was thinking of having a succubus arrive and tempt him into sin.
(They currently have no way of getting to/surviving a demon hell and as far as I know unless a demon is killed IN their hell it won't stop)
So maybe the group gets a returning threat?
>>
File: GIuz8.png (512KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
GIuz8.png
512KB, 1000x800px
>>54679820
This may sound pretentious, but just remove alignments from your game.

Anyone could agree that Hitler was evil. However, he also rallied a disenfranchised people to a common cause - some could say that this in and of itself is a good act.
Then he, rather lawfully, instituted a totalitarian police state dictatorship and instigated a war. So... lawful neutral?
But then he went mad and began firing and sometimes executing high ranking Nazi officials for disagreeing with him. He also signed a treaty with the USSR and then basically tore it to shreds, declaring war on them. Absolutely chaotic.

So does that mean Hitler was true neutral? Maybe we are all neutral. In that case why have alignments? All they do is convince bad players that they must never break their alignment, which can cause inter group conflict, and not the good, dramatic kind. The shitty, screeching kind.

They also have absolutely no effect on an even worse type of player. The type of player that writes "send nudes" on an altar because they simply do not care. For them, alignment does not exist. Why enforce it on everyone else?

I make my players play without alignments. That way, they play a character, not an artificial representation of one of nine oversimplified boxes. Their choices are made because their character would make them, not because "Well it says I'm chaotic on my sheet so I pull down my pants and piss on the rug."
>>
>>54680083

Eh, not any weirder than any other ranged weapon.
>>
File: 9a6.png (327KB, 323x454px) Image search: [Google]
9a6.png
327KB, 323x454px
>>54680136
>>54679820

Also, it seems to me like the problem has nothing to do with them being lawful good. It just seems like doing those things would be a shit idea regardless of alignment.
>>
>>54679820
Does the relic do anything? How does it look like? Well, blood magic usually means draining life from the one who donated. So fuck up the constitution of that one and let the relic give him something in return that is visibly vile.

The second guy asked for nudes. Every time he rests, 1d10 nude zombies get summoned that do nothing but throw themselves on him. Next morning, the zombies disappear. This effect will not stop until he cleaned up the altar. Obviously he doesn't get exp for slaying those zombies.
>>
File: character art.jpg (129KB, 500x548px) Image search: [Google]
character art.jpg
129KB, 500x548px
>>54676412
>>
>>54680136
>Rallying people is good enough to balance out genocide and war
I think a different example might have worked better.
>>
>>54680059
I think the ranged ones should be a d6 instead of a d8 as the increased range is in itself a benefit.

Bloodletting Bite is okay to me as its not possible for a player to know when the targets HP is at half, its an estimating game at that point.

Spell Shattering Strike can be really strong against enemy casters. It fits as an anti magic spell though.

Also just to mention the Magus has War Magic, it's their thing.
>>
>>54680136
Well..
Yeah I guess that makes sense and all but gameplay wise certain things only work for certain alignments.
How do you paladin without alignments?
>>
>>54680240
Ideals are not the same as alignments. You can be devoted to vengeance without having an argument over whether it's lawful or chaotic.
>>
>>54680201
Your point being made, one could then argue that a Dwarf having a laugh and writing "send nudes" on a statue should then also have not been enough to outweigh his (presumably) previously lawful good acts.
>>
File: The calling.jpg (308KB, 659x1008px) Image search: [Google]
The calling.jpg
308KB, 659x1008px
>>54680240
Oaths? More concrete, than alignments, anyway.
>>
>>54680136
I don't think the alignments are so much the problem as the "my players just activated an obviously evil thing because they're apparently suicidal, what do"

>>54680086
i really think whatever you do next has to result in the immediate and brutal murder of both players. people get themselves killed in real life by not being careful around *construction equipment*, let alone obviously malicious blood-powered magic altars.

i'm actually annoyed by proxy that they'd do something so obviously self-destructive.

raise all the dead bodies around and have them attack the players. all of them. then when your players are dead, have them ruin as much of the rest of the world as you can bear to lose (read: all of it).

post pics of your clerics face when he realises none of them are wearing clothes and this is what a blood altar thinks "send nudes" means.
>>
How is artificer?
>>
>>54680271
Of course not. The only reason ANYTHING should happen to the dwarf is because the god that the altar is dedicated to is a colossal asshole.
>>
>>54680338
God of death and dying.

He'd be pretty asshole-ish
>>
>>54679378
why are TTRPGs so fun? Its just rolling dice and hanging out with bros yet I spend an inordinate amount of time planning and looking forward to our games each week.
>>
>>54680458
>inordinate amount of time planning and looking forward to our games each week.
It's documented in psychology that anticipation often gives more excitement satisfaction than actual events. That's why vacations are a good investment if you care about happiness - there's a lot of positive buildup.
D&D is like a small vacation every week.
>>
File: Mountaintop Observatory.jpg (761KB, 1900x2640px) Image search: [Google]
Mountaintop Observatory.jpg
761KB, 1900x2640px
I need a very specific monster.

Large/Huge. Live in a very tight group (2-3) Ambushers. Mountain/Hills.

I'm defaulting to a couple Ogres (mates probably?) or Hill Giants (what's the difference really?)

Any better idea?
>>
>>54677589
True, but for the most part, if they're more powerful than Shadows, Skeletons, and Zombies, they're immune to Charm.
>>
>>54680592
Ogres are weaker, that's the main difference.

If you really want to wreck someone's shit, use oni instead. Other options for large stealthy things include displacer beasts, giant owls maybe, and the rare wild gelatinous cube.
>>
>>54680240
Paladins haven't been restricted to alignments for awhile, anon.
>>
>>54680626
Wights can be charmed, and so can vampires.
>>
File: 1501269380323.jpg (41KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1501269380323.jpg
41KB, 500x375px
>>54677827
>>54677827
>>54677827
>>54677827

blease /5eg/...i need your help
>>
File: warehouse-1024x615.jpg (235KB, 1024x615px) Image search: [Google]
warehouse-1024x615.jpg
235KB, 1024x615px
I'm thinking about making a "lair" for my warlock character where I'll keep my magic items and do my research during the party's downtime.

Any idea on how I can do it to make it sorta like a classic dungeon?
Hopefully using only PHB and UA.

My biggest concern is probably finding thematic minions/hirelings.
>>
Roll20 Tomb of Annihilation trailer is on, it's a bit cringy with the narration but you can see some maps.

https://youtu.be/j7LM7a7fufw
>>
>>54680917

Didn't that get made into an update for Neverwinter? I wonder how close it is to the actual book.
>>
>>54680917
Neat.
>>
My players are going to stumble upon a broken cart and survivors that were ambushed. I want to give one of the corpse a coveted weapon/item... so that my players are tempted to just take it from the survivors.

What should I use as bait? Magic items don't seem to make much sense, and I'd like it not to be a rapier.
>>
>>54681164
>Magic items don't seem to make much sense
Why not a relatively "common" and universally useful magic item? My choice would be a Bag of Holding. The party will almost certainly get one at some point.
>>
>>54681164
A masterwork weapon that is worth x times as much due to craftsmanship? Half-plate on one of the bodies?
>>
>>54678577
Make it plus 2 to ac and saves to make it actually worth using. Get the party jealous of the owner of the ring.
>>
>>54680592
ettins are pretty fun
>>
>>54680828
This is all based on DM-fiat. Especially because all it takes is "Hey, so you move into a different region and can no longer easily access your lair."
>>
>>54678831
True blasters are more sorcerer than warlock for the quickened eldrich blast
>>
>>54681164
>>54681222
>>54681237
Right after submitting I realized that it should probably be a Tower Shield. +3 AC, 3/4 cover instead of half cover to adjacent creatures, -10ft speed.

The dwarf cleric didn't get anything in a long time.
Thanks for your suggestions though! I might put another masterwork weapon there just to be a dick.
>>
>>54680518
Tfw I haven't had a "vacation" in almost 4 months.

I'm about a week away from a month-long actual vacation, and hopefully will be able to play/DM during, so you can imagine the anticipation
>>
>>54680917
Maps look pretty great, always a fan of Mike Schley, and I think I can spot some of the spots where there's more obvious references to the Indiana Jones-style Perkins is aiming for. Puzzle and rotating rooms look neat.
>>
>>54681268
Hmmm they are... And it'd be pretty flavourful as well.
>>
Role playing advice for a Wizard? I've never been one and am making an enchanter wizard.
>>
>>54681453
Read some Pratchett.
>>
>>54676477
DnD noob, coming from playing a ton of pathfinder, help me sell my friends on 5e, also is the lore any good or should I just make up my own snowflake setting?
>>
>>54681164
That's a really good idea, I'd like to steal that.

A "common" nonconsumable magic item would probably do the job.
>>
>>54681453
Why the fuck would you actually go on an adventure? Why did you choose to become an enchanter? What's your reason to study magic? What's your ACTUAL reason to study magic? What do you think about other wizards? What do you think about other spellcasters? What do you do that isn't your job? What was your job before adventuring, if you had any?
>>
>>54681551

Well, there's a lot less clutter in the ruleset, and it's much easier to build a functional character. Also, there are a lot of different settings for D&D, so lore kind of varies.
>>
>>54681605
Let's assume a basic core setting for a starting game because that's probably what we'd want for understanding the system, especially after the zany madness of rune lords, which I enjoyed but kinda want something calmer after that
>>
>>54681453
this >>54681503 is actually very good advice.

Pratchett made some very interesting characters and pretty much all of them should be fun to play. Wizards especially.
>>
>>54681636
I'm currently running a snowflake setting and I wouldn't go back. The hours I spend developing stuff now gets me ahead on the table. If I don't read up all the stuff published, one of my group could possibly call me out whenever I get lazy on reading. In my setting, I can make up shit on the fly.
>>
File: 1500828079759.jpg (118KB, 573x573px) Image search: [Google]
1500828079759.jpg
118KB, 573x573px
>>54681453
Not him.

>What's your reason to study magic?
Why, to further increase my own understanding of the world of course!

> What's your ACTUAL reason to study magic?
To hopefully impress a girl so she'll have sex with me.

Desperate virgin mage away!
>>
>>54681714
haha xD thats some funny message right here! :P
>>
>>54681745
Haha thanks friendo ;)
>>
File: why.jpg (69KB, 638x959px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
69KB, 638x959px
Is there ever any reason to pick a variant Half elf over standard?
>>54681714
Amuro no
>>
>>54681680
Thanks friendo, we can do a warm up with some pregenerateds but after that I can ply some world building to it
>>
>>54681503
>>54681570
>>54681654

Thank you. On Terry Pratchett, during schoolage I wanted to read Discworld but forgot about. Coincidentally, I am at the library right now. They don't have Colours of Magic. Do they have to be read in a certain order; and which would you guys recommend? I'm looking at The Science of Discworld because it's all about wizards apparently.
>>
>>54681841
If you want Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade without using a feat or multiclassing.
>>
>>54681306
4 months really isn't that long, unless you're counting a weekend off as a vacation.
>>
>>54682006
That's fair enough, and I guess the spells for Drow are nice, but...
Why the fuck would you forsake Skill Versatility for JUST Keen Senses? You don't get Keen Senses AND a racial thing, so why would you ever use that?
>>
Goliath Paladin, Oath of Vengeance, carrying a battleaxe + shield and a Minotaur's greataxe.

At level 3, would it be a decent idea to use my 1 minute of advantage per short rest to cancel out disadvantage with the massive greataxe, or is crit fishing really that important even if I only have 3 spell slots?
>>
How do I make the most ferocious warlock that I can?
>>
>>54682110
If I recall that was an oversight from the devs.
>>
>>54682155
pick wizard then dip 2 levels into warlock for eldritch blast

reminder that warlocks cant even summon demons and are essentially just worthless slaves
>>
>>54682171
>pick wizard
Pretend you're not autistic for a second.
Again, how do I make the most ferocious WARLOCK that I can?
>>
>>54680086
The succubus is a good idea because it demonstrates higher level abilities (she's probably stronger than him?) and serves as an enemy to fight as the undead approach rather than it being an unwinnable race to the exit.

>>54680284
Better than a sudden crowd of naked undead.
>>
>>54682158
So you're meant to have Keen Sense and the racial, or what?
>>
>>54682155

1) get agonizing blast
2) cast eldritch blast
3) cast it again
4) repeat 2-4 forever
>>
>>54682220
You forgot hex and hellish rebuke
>>
My Paladin just found his parents, and they're going to come live in the same city as him. He wants to run a mom and pop type of place because his parents still want to work, and he doesn't want them to do intensive work as they're getting older.

What would be some good business ideas?
>>
>>54682228
Hex is a trap option, you should concentrate on a real spell
>>
>>54682219
Oversight as in it's not supposed to even be a choice as anyone who reads it will not pick it.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/18/scag-half-elfs-keen-senses/
>>
>>54682201
get proficiency with the disguise kit then make your imp look like something more fearsome (if you can even conjure an imp)
>>
>>54680592
Animated objects? A mountain basilisk variant?
>>
>>54682155
Hexblade Warlock, Use Hexblade Curse and Hex.
1) Agonizing Blast
2) Hexblade hex
3) Eldritch Blast
4) Hex
5) Eldritch Blast
>>
>>54682261
Bakers?

>acquire legendary weapon:
-*STALE FRENCH STICK*-

bread based weapon, does 4d6+2 b
>>
File: necromancer_by_sixfrid-d6cs9ur.jpg (129KB, 731x1094px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer_by_sixfrid-d6cs9ur.jpg
129KB, 731x1094px
>>54682266
>Bonus Action Casting
>Up to 24 hour duration
>Solid debuff and extra damage for each eldritch blast ray
>No save
Pray tell, what's a real spell comparatively?
>>
>>54682294
Oh. So you lose out in all your skill profs for the racials?
>>
One of my players was killed while fleeing in a wooden building which was then torched by the rest of the players to smoke out/kill the remaining enemies. They managed to get recover the charred corpse, and plan on getting her revived.

How much does raise dead heal wounds? Would she be horribly scarred? Her character is a performer who would probably need appearance, and I don't want to necessarily take that away from her character. ( I considered moving her expertise in persuasion to intimidation to play up the "disfigured" but I don't want to mess with characters too much. What's a good downside to add to this sort of thing? Or would raise dead basically heal her body completely?
>>
>>54682441
anyone powerful enough to resurrect can cure that kind of damage with lower level magic
>>
>>54682404
For picking Keen Senses over Skill Versatility as a Variant Half-Elf you lose out on 1 skill proficiency, that is all you get for picking that you don't get any of the other variants bells and whistles. There for no one picks it because it is a literal downgrade from what you had originally if you are playing a Variant Half-Elf and you are replacing your Skill Versatility trait pick ANYTHING else but Keen Senses.
>>
>>54677827
>>54680748
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sy-Krg-Tyl#p13
>>
>>54682457
No you need regeneration for disfigurement which is 7th
>>
>>54682441>>54682457
>>54682482
Technically it is CoS and it is the Abbot they are going to go see, I guess he could technically fix that if I were to choose. Though I figure that it would make sense for there to be some sort of disfigurement
>>
What are some good cantrips for a Book of Shadows? I'm grabbing shocking grasp and guidance, but I can't settle on a third
>>
>>54682473
Yeah, yeah, I realize. I'm just wondering, I'd have to completely forsake two skills for a swim speed?
>>
>>54676477
Because you can cast Mage hand first, stealth after.

You can even cast invisibility on your self since it's not concentration
>>
If a PC is cursed with lycanthropy by a werewolf... Should he be controlled by me while he's having an episode? How should he act towards Strahd?
>>
>>54678831
>>54678806
Oathbreaker is literally going to be doing more damage without expending resources at all levels under level 20 and has much, much more resources to expend.

A Sharpshooter Fighter has much better burst and at high levels slighter higher at-will damage.

Not to mention a Hunter Ranger can be dealing a fair bit more damage as long as they can get Horde Breaker to trigger like 50% of the time.

Fighter and Battlemaster are both memes, not to say they aren't good, but they're outclassed by a fair few other options.
>>
>>54676477
a better question is why would you play 5e?
oh wait, thats right, youre retarded
>>
>>54682881
Also, what happens if a druid is bit by a werewolf while wild shaped?
>>
>>54682881
as a PC who was cursed with lycanthropy, make it a wisdom saving throw. My DM makes it a DC: 13 test. but tell the player that once in awhile he WONT be able to make it.
>>
>>54682536
Raise Dead closes fatal wounds but won't restore missing body parts. Though since this is CoS, some kind of disfigurement or derangement is very thematic.
>>
>>54682035
Vacation in quotes was a reference to D&D sessions, which I haven't been able to play for 4 months (coming off of weekly sessions, it's pretty rough). And yeah, I've been working 6 days a week for the summer since I no longer have to balance work with courses or D&D but that hovering day off is for administrative shit and errands so I haven't really relaxed in a while.
>>
>>54676781
subtle spell is so fucking good
My biggest regret is picking thief instead of swashbuckler. He's part sorcerer, so the cha would have worked well.
My reasoning for picking thief was just that he was a literal thief before and I wanted to be able to climb at full speed. But I play him with a big swashbuckling personality, and it's a real shame that I didn't go with that.
>>
>>54679269
well maybe they shouldn't fail their save then.
>>
Anyone have the Bow Monk homebrew PDF?
>>
>>54682133
I would say to keep the battleaxe if you're critting, the advantage only applies to one enemy and the extra Divine Smite damage is dank as hell and makes up for not using the minotaur axe.
>>
>>54683092
>bow monk
Literally what Kensei is for.
>>
>>54682613
yeah. all of the half elf variants replace Skill Versatility.
>>
File: Benito Tortellini.jpg (111KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Benito Tortellini.jpg
111KB, 1152x2048px
>>54676412
Sharpie drawing or bust
>>
>>54683167
but can you do a "flurry of arrows"?
>>
>>54683275
could always reskin the lasers one in sword coast. or you could just use that one as-is since lasers don't use ammo.
>>
>>54682881
One time I had a PC afflicted with Lycanthropy and I took away control from him for awhile. The party had to fight him to knock him out and then get him cured. He thought it was cool being a werewolf but he was also very bored for the time he lost control and had to watch me play his character. So I suggest letting him control his character but as the DM you guide his wolf decisions.
>>
File: stats.png (1KB, 231x213px) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
1KB, 231x213px
>>54683216
Well shoot.

Alright, I finally decided on my class, person who's been futzing about in indecision.

I'm gonna be building an Avatar Mystic, Half-Elf. I've rolled these stats here and am assigning them as follows;

10STR
11+2CHA
12WIS
13+1CON
15+1DEX
16INT

We're starting at level 5, are there any feats I should pick up, or just pump my INT to 18? Or should I reassign my stats here?
>>
File: 1500457405549.jpg (25KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1500457405549.jpg
25KB, 665x574px
>>54682949
Oh, I'm retarded. Carry on.
>>
>>54683275
Be a hunter ranger/monk (wot4e).
I'm serious.

Take pot shots from afar until they get close then make 5 attacks with flurry of blows, so long as one of those attacks targets someone else within range.
Keep them away with gust of wind and shit. Then learn to fly with monk magic.
>>
>>54683495
doesnt scag have some monk with archery?
>>
>>54682892
A paladin might be able to do more damage over several rounds, but does that matter when the fighter just ended the encounter immediately?

What if the fighter and paladin fight, and the fighter murders him before he can smite for several rounds?
>>
>>54676412
I hand draw all my character art and take my time, so my portraits are 0% lazy

anyone got a cool sounding character they might want a bust of?
>>
>>54683466
No worries friendo
>>
>>54683726
not unless you count reflavoring laser monk (sun soul) as the other guy suggested
>>
What would you guys have in a coastal pleasure town in the vein of Amsterdam or New Orleans? Black lotus dens, prostitution and gnome jazz?
>>
>>54684054
>>
File: IMG_1669.jpg (107KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1669.jpg
107KB, 736x981px
>>54684122
Nice picture! Thank you. I'm trying to actually transpose the call of Cthulhu adventure "dead man stomp" to D&D for a Halloween game. It's set in 1920s prohibition era New Orleans. Your pic is pretty related.
>>
A bunch of us let our DM talk us into running a short game in the Critical Role setting; what's a character concept I can run with that fits the setting and isn't dull as hell?
>>
>>54684321
his setting is pretty dull to be honest
It's basically !notForgottenRealms.

What level will you be playing at?
>>
>>54684321
A normal character concept that you find fun
>>
How does Mantle of Command, Mantle of Courage, Mantle of Fury, Psychic Assault, and Brute Force sound for an Avatar Mystic?
>>
Got a question. If I wanted to use a weapon in an improvised fashion (throwing a glaive like a spear at a range of 20 ft), would I attack with disadvantage or lose the proficiency bonus to the attack?
>>
>>54684509
Possibly both. You're neither proficient in throwing a glaive, nor is a glaive designed to be thrown.
>>
>>54684509
Unless you're proficient with improvised weapons, you would not get your proficiency bonus. I'd also rule that throwing a glaive would impose disadvantage since it has the heavy property.
>>
>>54684321
what about a dragonborn without tail, considered 2nd class and slaves in the setting.
>>
How do I get good at coming up with character names off the top of my head
>>
File: 1501039905989.jpg (229KB, 1920x1251px) Image search: [Google]
1501039905989.jpg
229KB, 1920x1251px
>>54676412

this is fun

what skills do people like to take as a lore bard?
what background?
im a custom race that is basically a half elf
>>
>>54684687
Prefixes and suffixes.
Take normal names and add certain sounds to them depending on the race.
>>
>>54683764
A slightly feminine but largely androgynous-looking half-elf tactician-type with short, dark blue, because lolelf slightly messy hair. Wears a mask that only really covers the eyes (Eyes of the Eagle item), which would be a a blue as well. Rather like Char's mask or something of the like if you're familiar with that. Generally gives off a warm or friendly, if somewhat awkward around people, air.

Sorry if this sounds like shit.
>>
>>54684388
Probably at one, based on precedent.

>>54684405
It's really hard when the setting's so noblebright that Neutral feels like Evil.
>>
Newbie here. So because reasons, I have the DM Guide and Monster Book. I'm joining a group as my first PC ever, would reading the DM Guide be beneficial in a way that doesn't also ruin playing the game for me?
>>
>>54684865
>would reading the DM Guide be beneficial in a way that doesn't also ruin playing the game for me?
Nope. Read it all you want, it won't help with shit. It's barely useful for DMs.
>>
Are there any monsters that automatically grapple a target (or a monster that gives any condition automatically)?
>>
>>54684865
you're probably better off leaving it alone for now. your DM will either have read it, in which case they'll be able to relate anything useful; or they won't, in which case having information your DM doesn't won't do much other than slow things down.

gl with your first PC.
>>
>>54684865
pretty much what >>54684889 said, although it won't hurt to look up the additional combat rules that it has. There is stuff like disarming without being a fighter battlemaster and mounting creatures during combat (I have a player that does this with any creature that is large or more)
>>
>>54684889
>>54684929
Groovy, thanks much. Off to the secondhand store they go in a few months if DM'ing doesn't catch my interest.
>>
>>54680240

>Paladins
>alignments

I see this so often and dont understand why people dont read the fuckin manual.
>>
>>54684919
Krakens can do it if they hit with a tentacle.
>>
>>54684993
Because niggas don't read.
>>
>>54684919
Giant frog can do it to small sized creatures provided it hits the creature twice
>>
>>54684851
>It's really hard when the setting's so noblebright that Neutral feels like Evil.

Never really thought about that, but you're right. The setting is pretty sunshine and rainbows, huh?

I get wanting to not be depressed when you play, but damn, just about everyone seems happy, huh?
>>
File: tard characters.jpg (173KB, 800x882px) Image search: [Google]
tard characters.jpg
173KB, 800x882px
>>54684727
>im a custom race that is basically a half elf
Why not just play a half-elf then?

Pic related, it's your character.
>>
>>54684919
Pretty much anything with tentacles. Ropers and Otyughss come to mind
>>54684993
Paladin's and gods is probably a more annoying misunderstanding to me.
>>
>>54685067
>Roll up a paladin
>Don't list a deity
>"So what god do you serve anon?"
>I didn't really put too much thought into it, I guess Chauntea will work
>"What do you mean 'didn't put too much thought into it'? You rolled a paladin."
>Paladins don't serve gods
>"Yeah they do"
>Just read the phb
I don't get why people still think paladins serve gods. They're more like the 12 paladins of Charlemagne than knight's templar but everyone still thinks they're templars
>>
>>54684919
Rug of Smothering, Ankheg, Behir, Vine Blight, Chuul, Couatl, Glabrezu, Marilith, Chain Devil, Web Garrote (Ettercap variant) Kraken, Kuo-Toa Whip, Lizardfolk Shaman, Mind Flayer, Otyugh, Remorhaz, Roc, Roper, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Tarrasque, Vampire, Water Weird, Yuan-Ti Abomination, and various other monsters in Appendix D of the PHB or Appendix A of the MM.

just ctrl-f "is grappled", anon
>>
>>54685126
Meme spouting people that keep saying "Deus Vult" have taken a lot of effort to completely miss the point of paladins
>>
>>54685067
>Paladin's and gods is probably a more annoying misunderstanding to me.

Truth
>>
>>54684638
Dragonborn dont have tails, which is dumb, and my headcannon is that they do
>>
File: 1462418470662.jpg (54KB, 736x439px) Image search: [Google]
1462418470662.jpg
54KB, 736x439px
>>54685058
>Why not just play a half-elf then?
>Pic related, it's your character.
becasue half elves dont exist in this setting, nigger fucker.
its a setting specific reskin of half elves.
>>
>>54685255
for some reason I just always assumed they did
>>
>>54677866
>>54677891
He means when the enemy starts heading back to the fight, that will trigger booming blade.
>>
>>54685285
I know, it makes sense
>>
>>54685255
>Dragonborn don't have tails
>Lizardfolk do

Feels like I'm taking crazy pills
>>
>A herd of centaurs is infuriated at the idea of people riding horses thinking it to be an insult to them, and they begin raiding caravans, attacking travelers, causing havoc, they send small raiding parties to attack people on the roads and use their swiftness to avoid large forces trying to hunt them down

>An enraged forest spirit has taken root in a forest near town, and no matter how much it's killed it seems to not die, figure out how to appease it or discover what prevents it from being destroyed

>A man is tormented by the ghost of his wife every time he heads out to the woods to gather lumber, over time it's gotten more and more vicious and he needs the party to send it on to the next world

Which one should I use
>>
>>54685007
>>54685039
>>54685067
>>54685145
I should have been more clear. I know there are some that can grapple after a to hit roll, but my DM is under the impression there is a monster that can use it's action to grapple, without the target making a contested roll (via some special monster ability). Below are specific details of his and suggestion I'm going to make. Any thoughts?

>DM's Current Rules
The chimerid wraps its arms and legs around the target's extremities, biting down with thick fangs. As a reaction, or as an action on its turn, the grappled target or another creature can roll against a DC 12 Strength saving throw to pry off the chimerid. After the first round being grappled, the target begins to take 2d4 poison damage until the chimerid is removed. While grappled, the target's speed is reduced by half.

>Latch as an Attack
Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 piercing damage. If the target is a Medium or smaller creature, it is grappled (escape DC 14). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and takes 2d4 damage at the beginning of it's turn. Additionally the chimerid can't latch another target.

>Latch as an Monster Ability
As an action the chimerid wraps its arms and legs around the target's extremities, biting down with thick fangs attempting to grapple the target. If the grapple is successful the target takes 2d4 poison damage at the beginning of it's turn into the grapple is removed.
>>
>>54685391
i like all three
the third is my favourite
>>
>>54685419
well it is pretty unique ability in the monster manual, but if the GM rules it can then it does. Why question it?
>>
>>54685391
Why are centaurs always stereotypically anti-rider? You'd think at least some of them would see the benefits: an armed human on a centaur's back doubles its firepower; and if the centaur has to retreat, a rider is a meatshield for their back as well.
>>
>>54683764
Bald male human with green eyes, aged 30-35, with rather strong masculine featured and a nose that has been visibly broken before. A vine tattoo along the right side of his head that coils around a bit and eventually goes down the neck. Three earrings in his right ear as well. He was a sailor, so a bit of a weathered look to his face would be dope. Crow's feet or something, I dunno. Finally, a scar down the left cheek from cheekbone to jaw.

If you deliver I'll be eternally greatful.
>>
>>54685391
I like number two cause it has the most room for story expansion. The other two, while creative and good, are sort of closed-end, I feel like. Depends on if you're going for a long campaign or not, I suppose.
>>
>>54685488
I wasn't even aware that it was a stereotype

I just really like the banner saga and in it the horseborn hated horses and went on a genocidal rampage killing them all off in it
>>
>>54685419
You mean, no dice roll involved, either on the part of the monster or the player? The monster just has a grapple aura that causes characters to be grappled as soon as they enter into it? Nothing in the manual comes to mind, and it sounds fucking stupid to me. Unless it's part of something else, like the monster causes the terrain to be grappling terrain around it. No save or anything?

Based on patchwork info/not playing in the session, I'd say that it seems your DM is not super clear on how things happen in play in 5e. But since I assume the session is already passed, you just have to deal. I'd suggest maybe bringing it up with your DM outside of a game, with general examples of how these things typically work, just so they can better regulate a game, but try not to be a dick about it. Everybody has to learn.
>>
>>54685488
Narnia maybe? I remember them being really touchy about who they let ride them
>>
>>54685682
I don't remember that from Narnia particularly but I remember it from Harry potter, not that anything in Harry potter was original in any way.
>>
>>54680077
Nigga that's Firion from FF2
>>
>>54681164

Nothing wrong with common magic/wondrous items being given low level. It's still a fantasy world. There can be good reasons for some people to have certain items.

Just make sure what you're giving them isn't overly powerful, and don't tell them what it actually is. Just mention that there's a magic ring on one of the corpses or whatever.

And don't be afraid of making your own little items too. Just think what these people might have that would be useful to them.

One magic item I gave some players on level 1 was a magic ring designed for mercenary bands/troops/whatever. Basically it was a walkie talkie. The wearer attuned it, then chose up to five people to 'bond' to it, which granted the sending spell to and from the ring bearer at will.

It was actually for plot reasons there's no point going into. Basically the players absolutely needed to always be able to talk to one another no matter where they were for 'reasons'.

So I made that item, then had them start on a prison transport wagon that was attacked. They looted the dead guards for equipment and got that magic item from the guard boss.

I later had it so that that magic ring was commonly worn by guards form the nearby city, and that basically no one else used it because those rings were produced basically only for them, so even having it would have been super fucking suspicious and selling it even harder than usual (not that they wanted to sell it).
>>
>>54685488
i guess it makes sense right? horses are not-so-bright, docile creatures bred to work for and amuse humans. if i were an intelligent horse i'd be upset if people tried to ride me, let alone if i were an intelligent half-horse half-human.
>>
>>54685801
It's something called Arslan Senki
>>
>>54685801
Can't deny that the art looks Jojo as fuck
>>
>>54686006
Well they have straight up ripped of Firionel hard.

>>54686016
Yeah ok it does, that's true.
>>
I'm running SKT and my players just got to the Eye of the All-Father. I'm considering skipping the fetch quests to go get plot coupons around the North, but I'm worried I'll be rushing things too much. Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_0929.png (216KB, 369x387px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0929.png
216KB, 369x387px
>>54684825
Ugh.
>>
>>54686363
Sorry. It's just my current character.
>>
File: IMG_0821.jpg (194KB, 605x628px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0821.jpg
194KB, 605x628px
>>54685278
Your DM's homebrew sounds like garbage. Some bullshit like taking elves out of 2e because they were "broken". It's meaningless and pedantic, like your DM's homebrew.
>>
File: 1486775341457.jpg (75KB, 505x695px) Image search: [Google]
1486775341457.jpg
75KB, 505x695px
>>54686457
There is much anger in you
>>
>>54686457
>badwrongfun
Only one being pedantic is you. Who cares what people do in their own homes?
>>
>>54686513
Oh yeah, well I've got contextual copypasta that probably won't mean much to you!

Have you ever heard of the meta Tragedy?
It's not a tale SDC would tell you.
It's a SDC legend. Darth Rinzlero7o7o7 was a Dark Lord of Pirates so powerful and so wise, he could use PAs to influence hull-values to create...explosions. He had such a knowledge of the Hull Values, he could even keep the ones he cared about...from exploding.
The SDC playstyle in the galaxy is a pathway to many engineering abilities some consider to be unnatural. Would you like to know more? Rinzler o7o7o7 became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power...which, eventually of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Then his apprentice killed him in Colonia. Ironic. He could save others from death...but not himself.
>>
>>54686574
A surprising amount around these parts.
>>
>>54686574
Other people, the police, the government, me.
>>
File: 1476310736160.jpg (256KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1476310736160.jpg
256KB, 1280x960px
Have you ever had a player that flat our refused to listen to the DM?

>Your armour dissolved after coming into contact with that Dragons Saliva
>No it didn't, that's not fair, Dragon's do that

>You take 20 damage
>Refuses to mark it off because he was dodging

>You failed to notice the pickpocket steal your purse
>But I'm always vigilant I never cease to be guarded
>>
>>54686624
Well, to be fair, "your armor melts off" kind of seems a bit bullshit.

Similarly the pickpocket, assuming *that he wasn't given a chance to do anything about it*.

I mainly say this because I had a DM that just had a kid snatch an item out of a bag of holding, from the thief who was actively watching for pick pockets, while surrounded by party members who were working to keep the nearby crowd away from the thief.

Was all kinds of bullshit.
>>
>>54686624
I make a habit not to play with children, so no
>>
>>54686624
>>54686669
As much as those examples are bullshit, the best thing to do is wait until the session is over to deal with it. If the problems are so egregious that you have an unresolvable dispute, then leaving is always an option.
>>
>>54686669

This might just be headcannon becaause I dont see it mentioned anywhere but dont you acatually have to know what you are looking for in a bag of holding to find it?
>>
>>54686669
>"your armor melts off" kind of seems a bit bullshit.

Rust monsters exist anon.

>Pickpocket

It'd be the same as it always is. Stealth/Sleight of hand contested with either passive or active perception.

Your example should have given you at least adv on active.
>>
>>54686747
Doesn't say anything except it requires an action. Tipping it out will also empty everything.

Threadly reminder

>If the bag is overloaded, pierced, or torn, it ruptures and is destroyed, and its contents are scattered in the Astral Plane.
>Pierced or torn
>>
Playing as a High Elf Mystic, should I pick up GFB or Booming Blade for it?
>>
>>54686748
yeah but the question is: Can anyone be alert on all times? not counting the feat
>>
File: 1371082213154.jpg (47KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
1371082213154.jpg
47KB, 432x600px
>>54686817
Of course not. But players will always tell you they were when something negative happens to them.
>>
>>54686790
>Tipping it out will also empty everything.

Really? well thats interresting, regardless I always imagined you would have to think about the item you wated to pull out of the bag of holding to get ahold of the item, and by that logic, if you didnt know what you were looking for you wouldnt be able to find it (unless you poked your head in and looked around)
>>
>>54686747
Yes. He didn't open up the bag and grab it, he grabbed it *through* the wall of the bag, while the rogue was holding it in his hands, and then ran off.

Because all orphans in the city had a special magic that let them do that.

This was a like 8-12 year old kid.

>>54686748
Yes, rust monsters exist, and they explicitly do that. Dragons do not explicitly do that. There needs to be more details than that, but that sounds fucking weird.

>>54686748
See writing at start of this - a kid nicked a two handed item, through the side of a bag of holding, while said bag was being held by someone, with absolutely no rolls by any of the party, who was actively looking for such things happening.

This isn't a "is everyone alert all the time" like >>54686817 asked, this is a "we were just given an item, a few minutes before and was actively escorting the item." It was pure DM fiat, and the DM admitted flat out later on that it was pure fiat.
>>
>>54686817
If you're spending your entire time "on alert", you won't be able to participate in anything else, as you're effectively rolling perception every six seconds indefinitely. As well, anyone trying to steal from you will be waiting for that opening where you let your guard down, since it's painfully obvious when someone is aware of their surroundings 24/7.
>>
Threadly reminder that UAs are homebrew and should not be touched.
>>
>>54686871
>Gold
>Sword
>Potion

Bag of holding is a liability and a massive target with a goddamn smiling face on it. Players assume its safe when it realistically isn't.

>>54686873
>B-but dragons don't do that

So what? You realize the MM is just base templates that can be fucked around with by the DM as much as they please right?

If you've never invented your own hybrid monster you're still shit tier anon.
>>
>>54686938
>UAs are homebrew
This is bait
>>
>>54686873
>magic kleptokids
I remember your post from a bit ago. Sorry your DM is that railroady. Hopefully your group gets together and talks about it.
>>
>>54686949

>gold
sure

>sword
>potion

I really dont feel this is specific enough,
I agree though that its a pretty big red target.
>>
>>54686949
Like I said, there needs to be more details. As it stands, that sounds really really really fucking wonky. If it's "You're bitten by a fuck-huge dragon with corrosive spit, you take a bunch of damage from that, and your armor is eaten away" I have no problem with that. The way its presented "Oh your armor melts because of dragon saliva" seems .. Fucking weird. Really fucking weird.

If there's solid logical reasoning / hinting towards that can happen, I have no problem. I just get really wary of things thta sound like random DM-fiat.

>>54686976
We've talked to the DM a bit - he's a really good guy, but it sounds like the groups That Guy is forcing him to slam it onto the rails and *keep* it on the rails, while simultaneously making him fucking bored of dealing with his own setting, so the train just keeps getting faster.

As it stands, he wants to wrap up the campaign pretty quick, then we can remove the That Guy, and possibly tackle Curse of Strahd. Apparently he wants me to either DM, or co-DM if we keep the current group size (which is WAY TOO FUCKING BIG AND CONTRIBUTES TO OUR PROBLEMS).
>>
>>54686799
You should play something that isn't mystic.
>>
>>54687042
I'm playing an Avatar as party support, not Wu Jen/Nomad bullshittery.
The point still stands. What's a good cantrip to pick for a High Elf that already uses INT as their casting stat? I can't pick between the two.
>>
File: 1490750686536.gif (2MB, 425x481px) Image search: [Google]
1490750686536.gif
2MB, 425x481px
>>54686790
>If the bag is overloaded, pierced, or torn, it ruptures and is destroyed, and its contents are scattered in the Astral Plane.
>Pierced or torn

I can imagine my players tears when every enemy starts shooting arrows at their bag of holding.
>>
>>54686790
Behold! The reason I never use a bag of holding
>>
A tiefling, a drow, and a kender walk into a bar
>>
>>54687245
And their DM gets a new group.
>>
>>54687245
There were no survivors
>>
>>54687295
>screeching about two players playing core races

lol
>>
File: 1398986027301.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1398986027301.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>54686457
and yet im having fun, while you vent your anger on 4chan.
must suck to be angry at random people on the internet having fun.
you must have a really empty life

anyway, does anyone have recommendations for bard skills? i get 10 of them
>>
>>54686949
yeah this pretty much. I took 3 ancient dragon breathes in a row. (apparently turning a black dragons face scales to candy really pisses it off)

and the DM had me roll con saves for each piece of equipment. Basically just a flat saving throw to see if it was damaged/destroyed in the attack.

It was a fun way of dealing with items that were a little unbalancing to his gameplay and added a real sense of "HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT?"
>>
>>54687357
Core still has to attract some edgelords, otherwise they would almost never get into the game.
>>
>>54687394
That's like half the skills. All the CHA skills and a choice between Persuasion and Intimidation, Acrobatics, Perception, Insight, Investigation. For the rest, pick stuff that has a connection to your character's backstory.
>>
I want to roll a tome pact warlock for RP reasons, but mechanically they seem really boring to play in combat. Is there any way to make them fun or will I just have to resign myself to casting eldritch blast over and over again?
>>
>>54687563
>tome

Anon you can poach cantrips from literally any spell list you want. Guidance, Shillelagh, all the good cantrips.
>>
>>54687563
That's warlocks inherently. About the only thing that comes close is hexblades, but in general warlocks spam eldritch blast. Like fighters spam attack action.
>>
>>54687563
Tome is mainly good for out of combat utility, things like grabbing Guidance for essentially a free bonus d4 on all out of combat skill checks you'll ever make, and the Tome of Ancient Secrets invocation, which allows you to pilfer ANY RITUAL IN THE GAME.
>>
>>54687394
>>54687514
There's a ton of skills you can do fine with just CHA+Jack so don't worry too heavily about prof'ing every one of them if you don't feel like it.
>>
>>54686799
I'd probably go Booming Blade just because it's a better damage type and works for locking 1 person down better. If you feel like your character will often be near multiple enemies without the PP to spare on something better, then Green Flame Blade.
>>
>>54687632
>>54687563
Ritual magic isshould be badass even if you don't get to pull it out of your ass in combat.
>>
Nat 20.
>>
>>54686949
>So what? You realize the MM is just base templates that can be fucked around with by the DM as much as they please right?
I was incredibly shocked the first time my Fireball took off the fighter's hair, ruined his crossbow, gave small burns to other party members near the fireball and set a nearby tent on fire. Nowadays my DM doing stuff like this feels natural, there's actual side effects to throwing a 20ft. radius inferno of fire at something.
>>
>>54687563
>but mechanically they seem really boring to play in combat.
That's most things warlock, it's just spam eldritch blast.

Get Shillelagh and you can be a sorta bladelock
Get Book of Ancient Shadows for Find familiar and you can be a chainlock as well.
>>
>>54687678
If it's on anything but an attack roll, fuck off
>>
>>54687705
That was quick.
>>
>>54687654
Right now I seem to be running Mantle of Fury/Courage/Command, Psychic Assault, and Brute Force, with the Mind Slam and Mind Thrust Talents.

Basically literally everyone in my party is frontline/melee-types, and we already have a healer.
>>
>>54687619
But at least fighters can do fun stuff like swing on chandeliers and jump on tables while they're spamming attack. You don't really get that sort of creative outlet while hanging out in the back row. The limited slots and spell list of warlock just seem like it limits you even more.

Fuck it, I'll just multiclass into bard or something.
>>
File: 1501096057276.png (4MB, 2792x3901px) Image search: [Google]
1501096057276.png
4MB, 2792x3901px
>>54687514
>>54687652
thnx anon
have a mermaid
>>
What warlock spells lend themselves to both combat and out of combat uses? Obviously Hex is good for damage in battles, and debuffing npcs you need to persuade, sneak by, or lie to, and Misty Step is good for getting out of melee range in combat and bypassing obstacles while exploring. What are some others good ones?
>>
>>54687814
What about shrouding yourself in darkness, levitating out of reach, or creating hallucinatory terrain via Silent Image? You'd do better as a fighter. You're not creative enough to enjoy warlocks.
>>
>>54687816

>>54683729
>>54683729
>>54683729
>>
>>54687828
spider walk, suggestions, contact other plane, arcane gate, plane shift all look good. Not a lot, without rituals.
>>
File: 1382475012189.jpg (245KB, 596x900px) Image search: [Google]
1382475012189.jpg
245KB, 596x900px
>>54687856
have a centaur girl
to irritate your autism
>>
>>54687908
fuck off pathfag
>>
>>54687814
You can do this too, anon. These aren't class abilities.
>>
>>54687852
"doing a thing explicitly listed in the class playbook as a thing you can do" isn't exactly a heightened state of creativity, anon.
>>
File: 1397954711248.jpg (127KB, 900x524px) Image search: [Google]
1397954711248.jpg
127KB, 900x524px
>>54687929
ima keep posting cute /tg/ girls till you become desensitized to it.
>>
>>54687814
sometimes warlock feels like a class designed for new players to cut their teeth on. it has simple dps, a small list of known spells to keep track of, rapidly-recovering spell slots so you don't have to manage them through the day, and invocations that give you simple, useful, and often reusable abilities.

and the pact and patron are free roleplaying hooks.

sometimes i wonder if that's why people seem to have so much trouble with how limited it ends up being.
>>
Anyone know of some cool places to get dice? Looking to get at least four or five sets for <$35.

Also cool ones, not shit like the Chessex pound of dice.
>>
File: bloodbornswiftbloodteaser.jpg (447KB, 1200x1553px) Image search: [Google]
bloodbornswiftbloodteaser.jpg
447KB, 1200x1553px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jNc-HDwVA&ab_channel=GnoBodi

How do I make this happen in this game?
>>
Has any of you guys ever play a game where a Paladin Player fell and become a Oathbreaker in a fairy organic manner?

You know where it make sense for the character in the story to do it. Not just the GM deciding to he'll screw the player over, the player felt like be edgy.
>>
>>54688187
In terms of going really fast some sort of monk with mobile, and possibly a dip in rogue (to no longer need ki to double movement) and possibly a dip in barbarian since I think their speed boost might be given a little sooner.
Past that you'd have to ignore restrictions in the game that exist for very good reason
>>
File: Goon.jpg (165KB, 563x805px) Image search: [Google]
Goon.jpg
165KB, 563x805px
>>54688188
I had an Orc Barbarian player who was trying to better himself from his more Barbaric tendencies so he multiclassed into a Paladin and chose to leave the party for a little while to find himself (Player had to leave the game for a little while). While On that journey of self-discovery and betterment, he picked a wrong battle to get involved in and got possessed by a devil that brought back those deep rooted impulses. He ended up becoming an Oathbreaker and turned against the party from it.

During a major battle against the party, he was killed via disintegration before the party learned the truth.

We like to think that he is happier where he is now.
>>
New thread

>>54688270
>>54688270
>>54688270
>>54688270
>>54688270
>>
File: dragrust.gif (76KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
dragrust.gif
76KB, 300x360px
>>54686873
Rust Dragons exist anon
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.