[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osr/ - Old School Renaissance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 53

File: 1488246294147.png (7MB, 1665x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1488246294147.png
7MB, 1665x2048px
>Discord:
https://discord.gg/qaku8y9
>Trove:
http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
>Online Tools:
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp
>Blogosphere:
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

Previous Thread: >>54504203

What do you think of "gonzo" material in OSR games?
>>
File: 1463411783169.jpg (2MB, 1227x840px) Image search: [Google]
1463411783169.jpg
2MB, 1227x840px
>>54555744
Follow up question: what does "gonzo" even mean to you?
>>
>>54549228
dyeing is noh joke.
>>
I swear I'm gonna start making the OPs just so I can put the g back in the subject

And the old pasta as well
>>
>>54555744
>What do you think of "gonzo" material in OSR games?
Recommended in moderation. It adds plenty of flavor, helps put your own spin in your setting, but can grow tiresome and cheap if you overuse it.

>what does "gonzo" even mean to you?
Bizarre, unexplainable, and unique. Usually come to the world by the bullshit of wizards and their magic, or ancient long-lost civilizations.
>>
>>54547386
>fucks over M-U combat potential
>harder to remove curses
>harder to undo complex spells like Prismatic X
>makes scrolls and wands more valuable
>>
What is the most creative thing your players have done?
>>
>>54556564
Designing dresses for their characters probably. My players are honestly terrible at problem solving. More than a year of OSR games and they STILL want to solve every problem with fighting rather than using all of the cool shit that they've picked up.
>>
>>54555790
True... but how you died can be hilarious.
>>
File: Dungeon layout computer.png (18KB, 457x454px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon layout computer.png
18KB, 457x454px
Time for a play report!

I used donjon to generate a map, then took only a single corner of it, cut off adjoining hallways, and erased all the numbers and wrote down my own. This was the first time using my homebrew system, and since both my players were DMs as well I got some great advice.

>Get to friend's house at about 2, told he has until 6:30 to play. Two players.
>Tell them that there are no races, just roll stats and make up your races based on those
>Characters roll stats; create Halfling Rogue and Gnome Wizard
>Go to room 11, which has 1d8 Glacalics in it. This time it had 5
>Even with a sneak attack killing one of them by letting its tent on fire, the party still gets wrecked in combat
>They make a new party instantly; Gnome Fighter this time and Human Wizard.
>Decide to treat the dungeon as battleground and murder everything pretty much
>Go counterclockwise around dungeon, luckily find the shaman and sneak kill him
>Go follow the sound of pounding footsteps and find the pacer monster
>Kill the last two ice goblins but the warrior ends up dying at the last second
>Rescue the girl and shepard's crook, but miss bag of coins.
>treated to epilogue of returning to town followed by flock of sheep, the clouds parting and flowers blooming as magic item is returned to peaceful village

Since my players were both DMs I got some good feedback on how to improve the game design. Still was a lot of fun, I am still pretty new to DMing so I forgot a lot of the rules like reaction checks and stuff. Combat was a bit heavy in the dungeon, which probably could have been fixed with a puzzle section or more empty areas.

Posting dungeon write-up next.
>>
File: dungeon 1 setup.pdf (84KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon 1 setup.pdf
84KB, 1x1px
I only mentioned the time restrictions because I forgot to say when we finished; at 4:30 or so. Only took two and a half hours, pretty breakneck pace but I suppose the dungeon was small and not too complicated.

We talked for over an hour about the game once it was done. Hope /osr/ finds a use for my newbie dungeon, but you should probably take more then two starting characters here since it was pretty tough.
>>
Is giving Wizard characters combat cantrips, or tying it to equipment like a magic rod, really so bad?
>>
How do you manage cities and towns? Like one asking for herbs and shit
>>
>>54558306
I'd say it depends on how strong the cantrips are, like if they do 1d4 or less damage I see no problem with including them(same if they have a very weak effect instead of dealing damage), heck I definitely find it preferable than Wizards using Darts, Slings, or Crossbows
>>
>>54555744
Anybody got a copy of http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/166076/Chthonic-Codex ? If it's in the Trove I don't see it, and it interests me but I don't have a group steady enough to be willing to buy it right now.
>>
>>54557500
Good on you. Many people never GM because they're scared of failing. Keep plugging away and you'll come into your own quick enough.
>>
>>54558306
In OD&D, the expectation was that you'd roll a wand or two by second or third level.
That edition throws out magic items like candy.
>>
What other non d20 rpgs you think can recreate old school?

more points if it uses other system than Roll over DC, or is d100
>>
>>54558968
It's not d100, but GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is made to do oldschool dungeon crawling fun. Good if you want less swingy rolls due to the bell curve, and is pretty lightweight when you use wildcard skills. It does expect you to use the tactical combat rules, though, which is mostly movement rules and rules government close combat. Some more optional rules like hit locations.
>>
>>54559024
I was saying this because i think people could recreate the osr feel with other type of systems and see how it plays, you know like using a count success system like in donjon, storyteller and others
>>
>>54559096
OSR as a feeling is definitely more reliant on the GM than the system (within reason, e.g. no Exalted OSR). You just need it to be fast in play and be easy to create characters for when they inevitably die. Beyond that, it's all on the GM to get the feeling right, the dungeons/wilderness right, the tables right, being impartial, etc.

I say Dungeon Fantasy does it well because it has lethal combat, which is always good for incentivizing smart play over dumb charge tactics, is reasonably fast in play (understandably slower as it's hard to beat the simplicity of B/X, but not by enough to matter IMO), and takes care of fast chargen with the liberal amount of templates it provides. You can just print them out, highlight your choices, and be done in five minutes.

Something like Savage Worlds or Fate, though, probably won't fly well for OSR. They rely too much on metanarrative currency that just doesn't mix well with the oldschool philosophy. Not that you can't use them or take out that metanarrative currency, but IMO you're doing it wrong if you do.
>>
>>54559210
One thing i like about old dnd is that most of the pc/monster stats are so simple and can scale really well, you just up some numbers, and that feel that you see lvl 1 players and see a monster like an hydra and say "how are this guys going the beat this monster?"
>>
>>54559210
>no Exalted OSR
What about MaidRPG OSR?
>>
>>54559210
Doesn't exalted support mortal characters, though? Mostly I'd be worried about the storygame mechanics and the generally slow gameplay
>>
File: Knight ruins background.png (1MB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Knight ruins background.png
1MB, 800x1280px
>Characters wearing light armor gets bonuses to evasion/defense, chances to miss
>Characters wearing heavy armor don't get these bonuses/get negatives to avoiding hits (unrealistic I know)
>However characters wearing heavy armor get Soak; depending on how much armor they have how much damage they can take per round without taking any damage
>Example heavy armor with soak 4 means the first 4 damage they take in a round is ignored, you have to focus on them to defeat them with many attacks or use special attacks that ignore armor

How bad is this idea?
>>
>>54559386
What if a character wears no armor at all?
>>
>>54559416

They just have regular evasion. Like leather armor grants +2 Evasion, which is just renamed Ac. Heavy armor grants -1 evasion per piece but 1 soak.
>>
>>54559416
Better bonuses towards evasion I'd wager.
>>
>>54559386
>How bad is this idea?
Awful. As discussed earlier in this thread, damage reduction can never really work in an OSR game.
>>
>>54559245
Agreed wholeheartedly. Screw "balance" and all the other hokum that follows it. You're not going to have fun if you're lock-step with encounters appropriate to your level and know you can beat everything without even thinking, because it's "balanced" that way. It takes serious effort to take down a hydra when you're fresh off the farm, and it's going to feel so much better if you actually manage. Not when, if. That's the key word here. 90% smart play, 10% luck.

>>54559338
It's definitely not the intended use of Exalted, which is going to gum up the works even more than story mechanics normally would. Imagine trying to run Shadowrun in World of Darkness. You can, with enough hacking, but why bother?

>>54559317
I would pay one whole dollar to see this happen.
>>
>>54559317
Cleaning up the master's really big, really old basement with really big rats. And slimes.
>>
File: Maid RPG - Core Rulebook.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Maid RPG - Core Rulebook.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
>>54559317
OK, first off. >>54559210 is wrong.
Crawford gets paid actual money for Bx as Exalted.
>03_OSR Games → Sine Nomine Publishing → Godbound
9.2 MB, so fetch it yourself.
It's kind of hard to appreciated it in the PDF, but the page layout is really nice.

More to the point; if you want to play MAID, why not play MAID?
It's a good system.
>>
File: FCT.jpg (176KB, 1000x725px) Image search: [Google]
FCT.jpg
176KB, 1000x725px
>>54559386
>>54559416
You know what had good armor rules? CHAINMAIL
>>
>>54559431

...That's not really damage reduction. Reducing a flat amount of damage is not the same as having a damage threshold. Putting a lot of attention on the armored guy to kill him is something people would already want to do, but instead of gambling having some guaranteed protection would be a good way to do it.
>>
>>54559431
i don't see where it was discussed

why isn't damage reduction a good idea in OSR
>>
>>54560024
Damage reduction is great if you do it right, but most people won't be able to do it even decently. Better to keep it simple than try.
>>
>>54559386
so, here's the issue. 'hit him lots' doesn't actually beat somebody in full plate, it just means you go CLANG a lot.
How do you beat full plate? You find the gaps in the armour, mostly. This means targetting joints with stabby swords and spears, or going in with a knife. Alternatively, some weapons that put massive pressure on a tiny point (such as arrows and picks) bust right through the armour.
I'd also point out that chain armour works pretty similarly, but you want to use different weapons (blunt force iirc) to batter through it. In either case, 'hitting the unarmoured bits' is still your best bet.
Not sure if that helps, or is even relevant.
>>
>>54559386
>heavy armor with soak 4 means the first 4 damage they take in a round is ignored
why not just make armour give you more HP?It's how it normally works in larps, and works fine there. And it's really fucking simple.
For more realism, have armour HP form an ablative pool that gets hit first: attacks that ignore the armour (knife through the visor, hammer vs chain) bypass this and go straight to the flesh.
>>
>>54560157

Splitting it up by rounds would force focus-fire on the armored characters and make them heavily resistant on AoE attacks and so on.
>>
>>54559386
>>54560157
To be blunt, I really don't see what this sort of rules would even add to the game. It just smells of the usual "muh realism" that never actually works in practice.

Stick to AC and HP. It's as simple as it gets and still works great.
>>
File: Aztec jaguar warrior.jpg (35KB, 400x689px) Image search: [Google]
Aztec jaguar warrior.jpg
35KB, 400x689px
>>54560253

Literally in the post you are replying to it says it isn't realistic but it doesn't matter. This isn't about realism, it's about gameplay.

Some people don't like how armor is just a bonus to gambling. Why is the character with the most health the hardest to hit? Why is the AC method the most popular method? What mechanics does it actually add to the game and are they beneficial?

This isn't about realism you cunt, it's about different opinions on what is a good system to encourage some types of gameplay. Some people want fighters to be tanks, which would involve having abilites that let them take and reduce damage, instead of just gambling that blows will scatter off their armor. The ability to soak hits means that enemies have to gang up on armored characters and they're heavily resistant to small amounts of damage at once, like AoE spells. I've yet to see any indication that the standard AC system is better for making tanky fighting characters that encourage a style of play or defense.
>>
>>54560344
"Gambling" implies there being a greater chance at losing than winning. Put up some full plate and a shield and it's not much of a gamble: most of the time you're going to win.
>>
Make a request for a random table or something, please? I'm bored.
>>
Has anyone ever run their campaign like the one described in here? Or known anyone who did? How did it work?

https://harbingergames.blogspot.com/2014/07/making-magic-amazing-without-touching.html

(Specifically the part about running the game without rule books. Or at least, without the players reading the rulebooks.)
>>
>>54560568
Bizarrely overspecialized mercenary companies.
>>
>>54560568
Unremarkably unspecialized knights
>>
>>54560344
>which would involve having abilites that let them take and reduce damage, instead of just gambling that blows will scatter off their armo
they already get that because they have more HP than everybody else.
>>
File: weirdos.png (202KB, 768x387px) Image search: [Google]
weirdos.png
202KB, 768x387px
>>54560568
MU attire.
>>
>>54560707
Is that a weighted table with only one entry?
>>
>>54560344
I'd bet that you wind up in about the same place with both systems. Instead of taking fewer hits, the fighters with DR are hit more often and take less damage. The most obvious result being that combat is slightly less risky (a fighter with high DR is less likely to take a large amount of damage).

So unless you balance it for some effect, it's just adding another node to the combat flowchart.

I guess I'd rather have armor that grants DR *or* improved AC. Into the Odd does it well IMO--armor grants DR, and there is no armor class (every attack deals damage automatically). This has the added benefit of making combat quick and decisive rather than a whiff-fest.
>>
File: 1427422228063.jpg (162KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1427422228063.jpg
162KB, 1440x810px
>>54560570
> Or at least, without the players reading the rulebooks.

But that's every campaign
>>
>>54560570
Not in the OSR sense, but I did play HERO system as mentioned in that post and can speak from there.

Players had spells that were just 2d6 killing attacks maybe with some advantages like armor piercing, but Special Effects, the 'flavor' of the power was always really fun. Even if the players knew the rules, flavor was important for a sense of wonder and occasional creative trickery.

I think I'll steal this for sure though.
>>
>54561168
>responds to one post
>quotes another
>makes an off-topic asshole comment

seems like b8
>>
>>54560570
>https://harbingergames.blogspot.com/2014/07/making-magic-amazing-without-touching.html

Seems like storygame garbage.

>>54561261
>off-topic
I'll call a square a square and a circle a circle.
It's on par with GLOG's Motivations and DW's DRAGONS WITH 5 HP!!!!
>>
>>54558968
>What other non d20 rpgs you think can recreate old school?
Pretty much only WFRP, assuming you count old D&D editions as "d20" (not really accurate if you ask me, but whatever.) Warhammer Fantasy's rules really support gritty low-level-type dungeoncrawl play well.
>>
>>54561333
Sorry, still seems like b8 or a pointless emotional 'I don't like thing'
So you don't like story games, glog motivations, and DW 5hp dragon's.

'ok'

You haven't expressed your emotions in a very detailed way so if you wanted a discussion you better go into more detail about why you find these things unfun or why you think players with system mastery>players intentionally limiting their information to preserve the 'newbie sense of wonder'

And how this is at all related to metagame narrative currency or alternate combat rules in DW. Because that bit just seemed like you lumping 'other things you don't like' into your initial 'don't like thing,' they really don't seem at all connected to me.
>>
>>54561744
>if you wanted a discussion
Who said I did?

In any case it's vapid smoke-and-mirrors that only works because the GM is hiding the rules. It's an approach that only works with total D&D virgins and/or people too lazy to learn rules. If my GM refused to give me a mechanical explanation of my character's spells I'd drop that game in a second. Even an OD&D-tier one-liner would be enough but ain't dealing with ambiguous fluff bullshit. It also adds more weight onto the GM, who now has to remember 20 refluffed Magic Missiles for 20 different characters.
>>
>>54561902
They know the effects of their spells, if you actually bothered to read the post. They get 3x5 index cards with them.

Not to mention it was the players' idea.
>>
>>54561902
>Who said I did?
You implied it by making a post instead of just writing in your diary.

And did you speedread the post?... they know how Elf Bow and The Motes work mechanically. All they don't know is that they're both slightly altered 'Magic Missiles' and that 'Magic Missiles' are a 'thing.'

And frankly, remembering different nifty spells sounds easier than remembering 'generic' spell lists. If Belchor the Black Sky knows Summon Miniature Galaxy instead of fireball, that's memorable. If 'Fireball' is generically scrawled through 10 of 20 different characters, it would be easy to forget whether it was Belchor the Black Sky or Melkar The Milky who knew fireball.
>>
>>54560570
I ran a session without rule books once. I was at a buddies in delaware and had dice but no books. It ran pretty well. I didn't run it RAW but it's not hard to remember the basic jist of d&d rules.
>>54561902
Yeah, I at least want an explanation of what a spell does if I'm going to pick it. Hiding a players class abilities from them is some sort of pretentious osr extremism.
>>
>>54561333
>>54561902
>storygame
Refluffing basic effects as other things is a long-standing foundation for superhero systems. The blog even quotes one.
>It also adds more weight onto the GM, who now has to remember 20 refluffed Magic Missiles for 20 different characters.
It, again, works fine for superhero systems. To give an example for M&M, Tinkerman's rocket boots and Colonel Australia's kangaroo stance would both be Leaping effects. You write them down in your sheet for ease of reference, then maybe the GM keeps it written down in a notepad and all is well in the world
>>
>>54562127
>is a long-standing foundation for superhero systems
I wasn't aware D&D was a superhero system. Outside of OD&D of course.

>>54562010
>other guy makes a post asking opinions
>I give an opinion
>REEEEE STOP BEING NEGATIVE

Eat shit, my dude.
>>
>>54562375
The point of the superhero system comparison was that you were off-mark with the storygame memeing and that several systems successfully use the basic concept
>>
>>54560707
>d8 Knights

1. Sir Roland. Loud, boisterous, aging, going to fat. He loves to regale people with stories of his martial feats, but he has not actually fought- not on the battlefield, not in a tournament, not in a duel, he barely even trains anymore- in years. His armor no longer quite fits over his expanding stomach anymore, despite the fact that he had it re-fitted just a year ago. Pointing out either of these things will earn you an enemy.

2. Sir Nathan. Loves the hunt and his dogs, skilled with lance and bow. His personal lands are some of the finest hunting-grounds in the kingdom, and many fellow nobles will travel for miles to attend his feasts. There have been a few suspicious 'hunting accidents'; some whisper in dark corners that he is an assassin, eliminating troublesome nobles for the king. Quietly.

3. Sir Barcus, a dark-skinned man from a foreign land, awarded by the king with title and land for his service in the civil war. Wields a strange forward-curved blade and paints his armor in clashing, jagged patterns that defy all principles of conventional heraldry. Enjoys telling tales of his native land and especially how much better everything was there, which wins him no friends. Many of his neighboring nobles would like it very much if he were to suffer an unfortunate accident one day.

4. Sir Hawthorne, a fallen knight. He has lost his title, his land, his castle, his wife, everything but his armor (dented), his warhorse (aging), and his sword (rusting). Little more than a petty mercenary, but still tries to maintain an aristocratic air. His fellow mercenaries mock him relentlessly behind his back. Never to his face, though, he'll duel anyone at the drop of a hat.
-
>>
>>54562463
5. Sir Aran. Drinks heavily, although it never seems to really affect him, and loves violence. His armor and blade are scarred, worn, and well-cared for; his fingers are crooked from all the times he's broken them. Any martial-seeming visitors to his manse will certainly be challenged to a spar or wrestling match. Loves women as well; at least a dozen bastards hanging around.

6. Sir Archibald. A courtier of refined manners, and once member of the central court. He throws lavish feasts, dresses in the finest clothes, decorates his home with elaborate tapestries. Even as the actual structure of the home itself decays for lack of maintenance and his province slowly slides into ruin.

7. Sir Tethys. Back from the war, minus a leg and plus religion. He stared death in the face and counts himself lucky to get away as lightly as he did. He prays, constantly and fervently, at the chapel. As much of a way to just stop himself from thinking about having been made less of a man as any genuine piety. He doesn't eat and drink as much as he used to, as much as he should, slowly wasting away as he desperately prays for- something.

8. Sir Nagant. Hard and bitter. Lord of a cold and icy province. Poor and hardscrabble. The lords hardly eat better than the peasants. He envies and hates the soft southerners, and draws plots for rebellion. To no avail; he has no allies, no resources, nothing that would make it anything more than suicide. He hates this. He hates everything, at this point. His family and servants move carefully around him, for fear of his rage.
>>
>54562375
Actually the guys didn't ask for opinions, and the only one here reeeing is you.

And now I really don't think you're trying to make intelligent posts, I think you're trying to stir shit, and I'm done.
>>
>>54562463
>>54562483
Didn't actually expect a deliver, godspeed anon
>>
>>54562483
I want to protect Sir Tehys' and Sir Nagant's smiles.
>>
>>54562463
1. More like Sir Rotund
Lets hope he doesn't hear my backtalk and become my enemy and eat my whole larder
>>
>>54562571
n-no bully
>>
>>54562646
Sir 'Rollin' is more than enough of a man to take some banter. More than enough of two men, even!
>>
>>54560570
Not a fan if that post, but you'd have to be delusional or foolish to keep books at the table during play.
>>
File: Unworthy of Honorable death.jpg (39KB, 637x109px) Image search: [Google]
Unworthy of Honorable death.jpg
39KB, 637x109px
Players knowing rules is NOT approved by GG
>>
>>54562947
things approved by GG:
>in-game punishment for out-of-game behavior
>swindling your partners out of royalties
>polearms

things NOT approved by GG:
>players knowing rules
>thieves
>3d6 down the line
>>
File: clerics.jpg (101KB, 409x392px) Image search: [Google]
clerics.jpg
101KB, 409x392px
So I've been experimenting with giving the classes all limited use abilities, to make them all feel a little more similar and to recover that feeling of losing resources and conservation.
>Clerics get limited number of heals and undead turning per day
>Fighters get limited numbers of 'special attacks', anime style power attacks like shockwaves and automatic hits and making your sword go blue and phase through armor, etc.
>Wizards naturally get limited numbers of spells per day

What should thieves get? Escape artist = number of things slipped out of per day? Can sneak past X number of foes without notice freely per day?
>>
>>54563044
But you gotta admit 'this book is the exclusive precinct of the DM, you must view any nonDM player possessing it as something less than worthy of honorable death' is goddamn hilarious
>>
File: 071103.png (110KB, 720x936px) Image search: [Google]
071103.png
110KB, 720x936px
>>54563044
Say what you will, but it DOES nip min-maxing and metagaming at the bud.
>in-game punishment for out-of-game behavior
Charisma draining obnoxious assholes in genius.
>>
>>54563104
Skeleton keys that break after opening locks
>>
>>54563104
Let them (and anyone CLOSELY following them) ignore traps, locks, and wandering monsters.
Make it run on usage dice.
>>
>>54563155
>That comic is a decade old now.
Goddamn.
>>
File: ac945dcc90.jpg (153KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ac945dcc90.jpg
153KB, 768x1024px
your first setting is bound to be terrible, right? I'm going into this with ideas that I'm pretty sure will fall flat on their face. just hope my players will like world I'm making.
>>
>>54563443
Yeah, but terrible=/=unfun
>>
Do the denizens of /osrg/ have any favorite bosses they've either encountered or devised?
>>
>>54558968
Apocalypse World.
Double the hp and weapon damage to have more granularity. Heavily modify/nerf the move and add more combat and dungeon/survival related ones.
You will have to design a magic system from the ground up though but something like this should do it :
When you cast a spell, name it and describe it, your DM will adjust the description as needed, then roll+MagicSkill. On a 7-9 chose 2, on a 10+ chose 3:
>you are not drained and will be able to cast more spell today
>your spell affect all your targets and only them
>your spell is contained in scale and last just the time you descided
>their will be no side effect or unforseen consequences to your spell.
On a miss, chose 1 nontheless but the DM can fuck your shit up.
>>
File: healing potions.jpg (65KB, 640x623px) Image search: [Google]
healing potions.jpg
65KB, 640x623px
>>54563443

I personally don't think so. You certainly feel more confident the more you do it, but it also makes you an edgy contrarian.
>>
>>54564556
The Mad Slasher from Night of the Walking Dead can be really fun if you just cut loose and ham up combat with banter.

>captcha: wizard alvina
And Alvina is cool too.
>>
File: Introspective doggo.jpg (90KB, 526x701px) Image search: [Google]
Introspective doggo.jpg
90KB, 526x701px
>tfw fresh play report and an entire dungeon is almost totally ignored but b8 posts get mad responses
>>
>>54565671
Your dungeon was fine. Not great, just fine.
>>
File: 1478764751068.gif (24KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478764751068.gif
24KB, 400x480px
>>54565671
i thought your dungeon was alright as well. i think you should also slow down if you find yourself forgetting simple things like reaction rolls and such.
>>
File: rogue_5.png (3KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
rogue_5.png
3KB, 640x400px
>>54565671
>Glacalics
Googling this turned up our thread and Igor's facebook.
What exactly is it?

>b8 posts get mad responses
So take a page from them.
>>
File: fixed.png (9KB, 240x428px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
9KB, 240x428px
>>
>>54557534
This is a boring dungeon
nothing is happening
>>
>>54565866

It's literally just Glacial + ics. They've got icicles stuck in their heads. It's fitting. Funny that there's a random guy called Igor related to it, what a coincidence.
>>
>>54565866
Is that an actual Rogue port with graphics or a different game?
>>
>>54563044

So what was up with GG's obsession with halberds anyway?
>>
>>54566796
it's an axehead on a bigass stick, what's not to like?
>>
>>54566796

He was a typical neckbeard. Much like the Blue Oni of Japenese myth, who were far superior to their Red cousins because they could see through exactly ONE layer of deception, Gary was a neckbeard who could see through exactly ONE trope and invert it.

He would go "oh shit polearms are so cool let me write down a bunch of random names and polearms types despite them being more or less interchangeable", unable to see past the second layer of coolness; that polearms are actually a shitty fucking weapon to use in the enclosed space in a dungeon and swords are much better.
>>
>>54566658
Actual.
>>
>>54566796
I reckon it has something to do with Chainmail.
>>
>>54566796
A better question is, what is history's obsession with halberds anyway?
>>
I can't find the AFS Magazine on the trove. Am I just blind, or if I'm not, suppose someone could dump them there?
>>
>>54559620
You used the wrong picture, ya doofus!
>>
How does Slow/Neutralize Poison work when most poisons are instant and deal damage or kill you outright?
>>
>>54570111
They tend to retroactively revive you if used soon after death.
Think of it like "slow poison gives you more time"
"neturalize poison is a revive spell for poison if applied soon after you died"

The wording is a bit counter intuitive though.
>>
>>54570128
>They tend to retroactively revive you if used soon after death.

This is how I see it, at least for Neutralize Poison in B/X (even with Save vs. Poison or die).

What about hit points? Do they remain the same once the poison is gone? Does the character drop to 1 HP? Are they unconscious for some time?
>>
Caverns of Thracia, Maze of the Blue Medusa (perhaps Vornheim as well), Tomb of the Bull King...

What are other works that really get away from the usual Tolkien and Appendix N inspiration and instead delve into this other sort of classical ancient pre-(post)civilisation world?
>>
>>54558968
This is an old post, but take a look at Torchbearer some time.

It's basically OD&D through the lens of Burning Wheel.
>>
>>54570568
Mazes & Minotaurs is pretty classical. Its got a bunch of adventures. I haven't looked into them much, but I just Jo Walton's Just City and am kind of interested.
>>
Someone last thread asked about implementing fighting game super meters into a game, so here's a super rough draft.

>Each time your character deals damage to an enemy or takes damage, they gain one token.
>If tokens are unspent at the end of combat, they are lost.
>Tokens can be spent at any time (including when it's not your round, after someone else has made an attack roll, etc.) to do the following actions:

>FIGHTER
>1 token: Attack.
There's two main uses for this: spend your points as soon as you get them to attack until you miss, or stockpile your points while fighting weaker enemies to nuke a more formidable one with multiple "attack until you miss" sequences.
>2 tokens: Force an attack roll to hit and deal damage.
This refunds one token, but lets you get in those important hits. Also, it gets through exotic defenses.
>3 tokens: Attack all enemies within melee range.
This should refund at least some points, so could perhaps be chainable to quickly clear out groups.

>GOBLIN
>1 token: Do 1 damage to EVERYONE within melee range, including yourself.
Goblins probably only ever get a token in their lifetime, but this lets those unlikely survivors cause a terrifying chain-reaction of exploding goblins. Damaging themselves stops them from chaining it infinitely.
However, do note that if this damages a Fighter they can then immediately respond by fucking shit up... or they can wait a bit and stockpile tokens from those one-damage attacks.

I've tinkered around a bit for other classes and monsters, but can't come up with anything I like. Especially since some of them already have "supers" - dragons and magic-users, most notably.

Oh yeah, and someone should probably get the ability to damage themselves for lots of super meter and maybe some forced movement and passive super regen or something. I dunno, man, there's a lot of empty design space here.
>>
>>54571454
It looks okay, but the whole thing about goblins being a useless joke enemy is a shitty meme.

Like I'm not saying they're legitimately threatening, but in every enemy in OSR should be taken at least partially seriously.
>>
>>54565844
The Night Lands?
>>
>>54569949
I very deliberately used the table where non-magic equipment is irrelevant.
>>
Does anyone have the new issues of Vacant Ritual Assembly?
>>
>>54571608
In retrospect I should've probably had that be Kobolds, really, since they have half the hit points.

But even they can fuck you up if you find the wrong group - Keep on the Borderlands is the prime example there, with its 40-odd kobold encounter.

So yeah, hell if I know how to handle monsters in such a system. Maybe just make it a Fighter thing.
>>
File: IMG_0046.jpg (1MB, 1156x1539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0046.jpg
1MB, 1156x1539px
Looking for an old blogpost, don't remember where I found it.

The jist was,
• Orcs/Ogres/Giants/Titans are the same species
• Dungeons are sleeping Giants/Titans
• Stay too long in a dungeons and you'll go mad/become a dungeon monster
>>
>>54573509
you might be thinking of this one;

http://gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/other-frontiers-dungeons-megadungeons.html
>>
File: IMG_0047.jpg (2MB, 1156x1539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0047.jpg
2MB, 1156x1539px
>>54573588
Danke.
>>
Looking for that pdf builder for osr!
>>
>>54574221
?
>>
>>54574450
some anon months ago linked me to some guidelines or a software program i dont rembmer with the template for osr layout design
>>
File: kobold knife.png (18KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
kobold knife.png
18KB, 800x600px
I know part of the OSR game style is about a fairly linear progression, with character building and character "builds" in mechanical terms being very light if not absent in entirety. However all of my available players are ex-Pathfinder and D&D 5e fags, and I wouldn't mind throwing them a bone with a few options or spells for each class to make them feel a little more unique. Is there any unforseen problems with this?
>>
>>54574897
No, play ACK or AD&D 2e
>>
>>54574897
Or even Blood & treasure for the 3.5 fans
>>
I want to try B/X but race-as-class makes my medula pulsate. Here's my crappy slapdash race-and-class for B/X. Will this work, or is there a better way somewhere?

Humans: +1 to loyalty of human retainers, hirelings, and henchmen. No level cap.

Dwarves: +1 to all saving throws. Can smell gold from 20' away.

Elves: +1 to reaction from normal animals. Can innately navigate via constellations.

Halflings: Can speak to rodents. Can safely eat any plant.
>>
>>54574929
Neither of those are really any less linear than other OSR games - they just give you more options at the start.
>>
>>54574737
What, you mean Kevin Crawford's A Brief Stufy of TSR Book Design?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/168306/A-Brief-Study-of-TSR-Book-Design?manufacturers_id=3482

The actual program used in that case would be InDesign.
http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign.html
It's 20$/month, but you can get a 60% discount if you're a student and there's a seven-day free trial available. (I don't know if it watermarks, though.)

You might also already have an old version of it if you have Adobe CS.

Hell if I know of any other methods - I'm not even close to being an author, so I haven't ever needed to mess around with PDF creation. You can definitely cheat some stuff in something like Libreoffice, though.
>>
>>54574968
>What are proficiencies
>>
>>54574929

To yourself and all the AD&D 2e shills, please sell me on why I should try this game.
>>
>>54575083
Almost irrelevant to gameplay, that's what. The few with actual use are rare enough that everyone can pick them.
>>
>>54574966
Well, there's the accurate-to-the-original-game way.

Dwarves and halflings get +4 to saving throws and their respective special abilities.

Elves get their special abilities, and also maybe get to multiclass if you want that.

Really, though, just nick them from OD&D. The only reason race-as-class is a thing is because OD&D Dwarves and Halflings can only be Fighting-Men while OD&D Elves can be multiclassed Fighting-Men/Magic-Users.

Or nick them from AD&D, I guess, if you want a higher-powered game.

For balancing humans, the lack of a level cap is probably enough. I've heard +10%XP been thrown around a bit as well, but that's really not that big a deal.
>>
>>54575107
It's got the most things of all OSR games, the greatest amount of options, and the easiest compatibility with the other systems. It allows you to grab almost anything from anywhere and run just about any module without any trouble.

It's at the border between OSR and non-OSR, allowing you to run some story-based epic high fantasy if you like. You can go to a dungeon, have a lethal old-school game, then go and rescue a princess the next day. Both work fine.

And it has the best rules for monster characters.
>>
>>54575080
Thank you very much
>>
>>54558968
Mythras Classic Fantasy
>>
>>54575107
it felt like the first levels of dnd 3.5 and 5e, without getting shitty
>>
>>54575107
>>54575266
It's like, you know how 5e tries to take all the best bits of the oldest editions and combine them, and completely fails?

2e does the same with Basic and LBB and the others, adds in just a spice of 3.5 or 5e, and actually makes it work.
>>
>>54575242
Trove --> 01_DM Resources
>>
>>54575289
>you know how 5e tries to take all the best bits of the oldest editions and combine them, and completely fails?
But 5e is the best edition of D&d
>>
>>54575384
Skills are dull, and short rest damage the game a lot
>>
File: Sheep person hammer.jpg (156KB, 1013x1161px) Image search: [Google]
Sheep person hammer.jpg
156KB, 1013x1161px
I've heard of people saying they like race as class, but also having multiple race-as-classes for each race like in some OSR games.

What about doing something like this, but for the entire setting?

Like you can play as a Goatman smith/warrior or a goatman mountain witch. You can play as a wandering samurai fighter of the eastern kingdom, or a robin hood-style thief of the western kingdom, but there is no generic 'fighter' or 'thief' class.

Obviously, the biggest obstacle to this would be having to actually worldbuild and entire world, or at least enough of it, that you could create this sort of system. Any thoughts on this?
>>
>>54575625
Probably not worth the time it'd take to build up.
>>
>>54575625
I like the way the GLOG does this. Classes are minimalist and give a choice of templates, and you get a max of 4 templates.

So your wandering samurai class has 4 templates with a few abilities each. Each level, you picks up another template. But if he wanted to say, pick up a level in 'Robin Hood' he could do that too. He wouldn't be as samurai as a 4-templated samurai of course, but the templates favor frontloaded class identity rather than 'you're gimpy and have like no flavor or abilities because you're not high level enough'
>>
>>54555744
what does /osr/ think of torchbearer
>>
>>54575625
Seems workable with ACKS?

>>54575768
Pretty amazing, t b h

I wish more OSR games has an encumbrance system as good as that.
>>
>>54575776
Can't use mega atm, bit I'm partial to the stock D&D money-weight encumberance. How does torchbearer do it?
>>
>>54575776
is there an example of play with mechanics and all that of Torchbearer?

also how long is character creation?
>>
File: torchbearer inventory.png (151KB, 786x356px) Image search: [Google]
torchbearer inventory.png
151KB, 786x356px
>>54576130
Character creation is pretty quick (maybe five minutes once you've gotten used to it, I guess?) and there's both a sample introductory dungeon of sorts and a bunch of examples of the "conflict" system.

However, I should probably note that it's not based on any D&D system except thematically - it runs on whatever the Burning Wheel engine is called, and is a slight bit more complex than Mouse Guard.

It requires some actual system mastery to play in terms of actual mechanics unless you want your penniless character to die of exhaustion in the middle of a dungeon.

>>54575855
You've got this handy little thing on your character sheet, basically.
>>
>>54576130
I would recommend watching Adam Koebel play it on Youtube.
While his players are insufferable, I think he's a great gm.
>>
Rolling for hit points at level 1?
>>
>>54576496
i normally give full hp
>>
>>54576496
if I'm playing with people who have played OSR stuff before, yes
if not, I'll give them full HD worth for their first character
>>
>>54576496
Do you not?
>>
>>54576496
Sure.

I'm considering just gutting the whole random aspect and either giving characters the average or just 1hp/OD&D HD, though. Adjusted a bit so 1+1HD becomes 2HD, for instance. CON gives +1/-1 every HP or so, I guess.
>>
>>54576472
He looks like a faggot
>>
>>54576632
>CON gives +1/-1 every HP or so, I guess.
Every THREE hit points, sorry.
>>
>>54576496
For all except fighters and their subclasses.
>>
>>54574897
The reason I shy away from character building mechanics (even skill systems) is that it can create protected niches.

>If I let you swing from that chandelier, then what was the point of Joe taking the Chandelier Swinger feat?

>at level five, Joe the Fighter finally has a decent chance of tripping an enemy; Bob the Wizard can teleport, kill a roomful of low level enemies, and raise the dead

It can also result in players staring down at their character sheet for solutions instead of coming up with something imaginative.
>>
>>54576496
I prefer it. But if my players want to run a game where their characters don't die as quickly I'm open to full.
>>
Anyone here play Runequest? Thoughts on the system?
>>
>>54576912
Not quite what this thread is about, but here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=116JEVCIAsk
>>
>>54570568
>>54571417
So anything else?
>>
>>54577101
Anyone with a Scribd account mind downloading this and dropping it in the thread?
>https://www.scribd.com/document/130773046/White-Dwarf-13
>>
>>54574966
Just use Basic Fantasy RPG.
>>
>>54576912
80s/90s versions are ok I guess. Modern versions are fantastic.
>>
>>54570568
>>54577182
Jaquay's Dark Tower has some heavy Ancient Egypt influences, I guess, but that's probably not what you meant. Also, the cult is somewhat more medieval.

The problem, I think, is that Appendix N is so damn broad - B4 is covered because it's basically just Red Nails, X1 is covered because a Lost World fits right in alongside the rest (and both Conan and Tarzan had some elements of that), even fuckin' Barrier Peaks can be traced back to the sci-fi stories in Appendix N. (And yes, I know that it's literally just a promotional crossover with Metamorphosis Alpha. It would still fit in right alongside some of the post-sci-fi medieval stuff in there, or just the outright sci-fi stuff.)

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some kind of Orpheus-esque journey into the underworld somewhere in Dragon Magazine, but that's kind of an obvious take. There's also at least one version of the Odyssey out there (M1, I think? One of the ones in that series, at least.), but they usually swap some of the Greek trappings out to account for the fact that the PCs are pseudo-medieval fantasy people.
>>
>>54577401
How do action points work out in play? Are they difficult to track with multiple opponents?
>>
>>54576496
Yes, except in LBB OD&D I like to do the thing Carcosa does where you have dice, not fixed hit points, and you roll all your remaining hit dice before each combat (without the stupid rolls for die size though, that sucks).
>>
File: Accurate Prediction.png (508KB, 555x445px) Image search: [Google]
Accurate Prediction.png
508KB, 555x445px
>/osrg/ now contains discussion of Torchbearer, 2E and RuneQuest
Honestly, what the FUCK.
>>
File: library1.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
library1.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
So I've been working on a new module if anyone wants to check it out.
>>
>>54577975
runequest>2e>>>>>>>>>>>>>.torchbearer
That's the order of appropriateness for an osr discussion desu
>>
>>54577975
I mean Runequest and 2e are fine - they share the OSR mindset - but Torchbearer is a fucking story game. Might as well let in Dungeon World and Burning Wheel now.
>>
File: cartography by Deen.png (346KB, 1318x936px) Image search: [Google]
cartography by Deen.png
346KB, 1318x936px
>>54577993
Right off the bat, this is more usable than everything by Patrick Stuart put together.

>>54578025
Quit being facetious. Newfriends will get the wrong idea.
>>
>>54577975

/osr/ has always been a homebrew positive general. Adding in a bunch of tangentially related games isn't really much bigger of a 'step down'.
>>
File: 1TND7CH.jpg (49KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
1TND7CH.jpg
49KB, 800x820px
>>54578062
>runequest has the OSR mindset
>torchbearer doesn't
>>
>>54578079
Runequest is at least in that same vein traveller is of "not OSR but still oldschool"
>>54578087
osr is like porn. I know it when I see it.
>>
>>54577975
Runequest is pretty damn OSR lad. If you're British, it's more OSR than anything else. And 2e may as well be an objectively improved 1e, at least before supplements got involved. Core 2e is extremely OSR and that's an non-debatable fact. As for Torchbearer, It's technically always been categorized as OSR even though it really isn't, it's just no one actually plays it so no one has ever discussed it.
>>
>>54578105
Yes. Narrativist mechanics are extremely divorced from osr stuff. Next thing I know, you'll say that dungeon world is osr.
>>
>>54578079
Awesome. I love false patricks blog for ideas but once the feeling of "this writing is super fucking evocative" wore off, I realized that the main reason I've never ran one is because of how ridiculously unusable his material is. This "complete lack of formatting or usability is now an art statement" kinda thing going on in modules. So I wanted this to have actually decent formatting.
>>
>>54578157
>mechanics
>mindest
what do he meme by this.
>>
>>54578237
>system and mechanics don't matter guys
>just pixel bitch with your 10ft poles and describe everything in excruciating detail to find a trap rather than make a d6 roll
The osr primer is made of lies. I feel like you don't actually play RAW moldvay.
>>
File: convergent-evolution_med.jpg (72KB, 887x540px) Image search: [Google]
convergent-evolution_med.jpg
72KB, 887x540px
>>54578257
Didn't say that. Did say
>>54578105 mentions mindset
and >>54578157 responds with mechanics.
>>
File: MPDOpAG.jpg (389KB, 750x743px) Image search: [Google]
MPDOpAG.jpg
389KB, 750x743px
>Find out about the AFS magazine
>Looks promising, seems to have shit I like
>Precisely what I'm looking for for the current campaign, in fact
>Tenfootpole writes positive reviews on it
>It's not in the trove
>It's not even available as a pdf
>It can only be bought as a physical copy, mailed over here in the backwater over the course of several weeks and then gathering dust at the shelf after reading through them once or twice
>It's all completely out of stock anyway

Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>54578062
>>54578131
>>54578133
>Runequest is OSR
What in the fuck thread did I stumble into, /ignorant mongoloid general/? Runequest is literally the birth of the new school, the first dysfunctional game. It's the first and maybe worst blow AGAINST everything old-school.
>>
>>54578362
What's the AFS magazine, Anon? Tell us about its hypothetical glories.
>>
>>54578396
http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.fi/

It does weird Hyperborean stuff and from what little I've managed to see looks promising as hell. I just wish I could find something concrete enough to be sure, one way or the other. Really I have no idea why anyone would so vehemently insist on having no pdfs available of their masterpiece.

Here's what Tenfootpole has to say about it:
>You should own AFS #3. Go order it right now. If you don’t you will miss one of the finest visions of D&D published.
>>
Is there a list of spell by school?
>>
>>54578457
I see that every issue's sold out and that the guy hasn't posted anything in two years. Did you try mailing him at the address he gave and asking about buying the issues?
>>
>>54578604
Page 230 onward of the AD&D Wizard's Spell Compedium Vol. 4 is (sort of) what you're looking for.

It's > 8 MB, so...
>>
>>54578653
Not yet.

Truth be told, the physical copies were pretty expensive anyway, all the more so when I don't yet actually have a hundred-percent certainty that it'd be worth it - much less worth waiting for several weeks for them to arrive, by which time my party will be well into Hyperborea.

I suppose I've got nothing to lose to ask for some pdfs. Especially in the off-chance I got someone else interested that could ask too.
>>
>>54577272
Well, I do think descending AC could be a rather elegant system (though I have yet to see it in play), but on the other hand I do love free shit.
>>
>>54577975
we /thefantasytrip/ SOON
>>
File: WOAH SHIT.png (329KB, 414x479px) Image search: [Google]
WOAH SHIT.png
329KB, 414x479px
How do you stop your players from just getting into one fight, leaving the dungeon and camping out and resting because all their powers and spells are "once per day"?
>>
>>54579984
I don't? If they want to do that they can. But since the dungeon isn't a static set of videogame enemies that don't move, and the next time they'll just have to fight their way through already-looted but repopulated areas, that is take extra risks for no gain whatever. When to leave is always an important consideration, but if you leave way too soon you're definitely just pushing added weight onto your future selves.
>>
>>54579984
Do you not have monsters follow them, or have bandits hanging around the entrance waiting to gank dungeoneers for their loot after coming out bruised and battered?
>>
>>54579984
Random encounters, wandering monsters, the things inside the dungeon come out to see who the hell caused a ruckus, supplies run low.. lots of reasons why doing that's a fucking stupid idea.
>>
I feel like writing some random tables. Anyone have something in particular they'd like to see?
>>
>>54580279
Composition of fossil sites.
>>
Anyone got Mutant Crawl Classics?
>>
>>54579984
>camping
Wizard needs their bulky, fragile spellbook(s). Which they left back in town.
Cleric needs their monastery/sketchy backroom kabal/sacred grotto, just outside town.
From town to the dungeon us 5 days, 10 for a round trip.

Food costs and hurling wages add up.
Also, overland monsters.
>>
>>54572105
>>54565844
Well yeah. What kind of shit setting do YOU run where people don't live in giant pyramids and you can't even kill monsters with pizza-cutters from the future?
>>
File: diskos-38-1000-1000-100[1].jpg (108KB, 388x611px) Image search: [Google]
diskos-38-1000-1000-100[1].jpg
108KB, 388x611px
>>54580402
Upload fail'd
>>
>>54580279
>Anyone have something in particular they'd like to see?
What sort of horrible scene are those crows circling over? (d12)
>>
>>54577975
2nd edition IS OSR you clog.
>>
>>54576641
yeah but he's still a good gm
office hours is good too
>>
>>54578157
"A Good Idea" from TB is the OSR boiled down into a single rule.
>>
File: Strider skull.jpg (526KB, 1420x1131px) Image search: [Google]
Strider skull.jpg
526KB, 1420x1131px
>>54580300
>d8 Fossil beds

1. An ancient feeding frenzy or spawning ground, from when the world was still young and life had barely taken its first steps on land. They were too close to a volcano. Thousands of creatures, all of the same time, twined so closely together it is difficult to tell where one ends and another begins. A bizarre mix of plant and animal features, of squid and mammal and insect and brilliant orchid. Belong to an evolutionary lineage long, long gone; appear as some wizard's mad experiment to modern eyes.

2. Prehuman dragon burial ground. Ornate tombs collapsed, ground above painstakingly landscaped to conceal all traces.Wind and rain and time have managed what ten thousand adventurers could not. Gold and jewels spilling out of the collapsed hillside. The bones have turned to metamorphic rock. Excellent chance of ancient protective magics gone strange. Excellent chance of angry ghosts. Ludicrous money vs. unimaginably agonizing death.

3. An ancient battleground. Very recent- centuries old only, everyone aged 100,000 years in an instant by wrath of world-shaking wizard/colossal fuckup of merely nation-shaking one. Bones contorted in agonized poses surrounded by thin sheaths of rust that were once armor. Buried somewhere in the field, 1d4-1 legendary artifacts, immune to the ravages of time.

4. The bottom of an open-pit coal mine. A pair of gargantuan beasts, bony armor plates and spikes and rending teeth, jaws locked around each other's throats. A mutual kill, scene preserved as their entwined corpses sank into an anoxic peat bog.

5. Spirals in the cliff face. A hundred different varieties can be perceived by the discerning eye. Some of them as wide across as a man. Some of them have what look like eyes in their center. Some of them seem to look right at you, into you, past you, across the gulf of aeons. Surely a trick of perspective.
-
>>
File: Beksinski bone forest.jpg (903KB, 1793x1804px) Image search: [Google]
Beksinski bone forest.jpg
903KB, 1793x1804px
>>54580887
6. Bizarre tangle of bones and flesh-traces. Look closely, and it resolves into near-human bodies surrounded by strange clothing and tools of bone and hide. Almost indistinguishable from human except for the third eye in the center of the forehead, and the fourth in the center of the brain. (They fossilize as well as bone.) A wizard well-versed in ancient lore may identify these as Hyperboreans; ancient wizards and flesh-crafters. Their clothes and tools were alive. They may, possibly, maybe, still be resurrected; they clung to flesh fiercely and were indifferent to time. Imagine what secrets and lore they must have; ignore the nagging doubts.

7. Endless rows of misshapen mutant figures, spread across multiple strata. Twisted knots of flesh, animals smashed into human shape with healed-over breaks visible in the bone, things that might have been human before their skeletons became soft and unable to support the weight of flesh. An endless procession of atrocity, becoming more and more human-like as the era grows closer to the present. The creator of humanity took many, many tries to learn his craft.

8. Landscape. It takes days of travelling back and forth across these hills to begin to realize how the shape pieces together. Longer to make yourself believe it. A fallen god. A human form, inflated to ludicrous proportions. The flesh was inedible to all earthly life; everything survived to be preserved in stone. Look closely at the rock, and you can see the cell walls. A good magnifying glass, and you can make out organelles within the cells. A microscope, and you can see the twisting double helix. Everything identical to human, simply scaled up. A determined, patient, and methodical geologist could become a world-class surgeon simply by studying these hills for long enough.
>>
File: 1500783963792.jpg (213KB, 934x572px) Image search: [Google]
1500783963792.jpg
213KB, 934x572px
>>54580279
>random tables
>tables
>plural

Could you do >>54560974?
If not, what was wrong with it?
>>
>>54581055
It just wasn't quite clicking. I'll bash at it some more and see if anything comes out.
>>
I'm a wussy fag who's scared of crunch-heavy games. 3.X is too complicated for my pathetic, ball-less sensibilities. Can anyone recommend OSR games that won't cause me to weep and wail long into the night?
>>
File: B&X.pdf (828KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
B&X.pdf
828KB, 1x1px
>>54581405
None of them will. ...maybe OD&D, but not from rules-weight.

If you're interested in Advanced D&D, c >>54489655

If you're interested in Basic D&D, just read it.

If you're interested in Original D&D, read Holmes Basic, then read it.
And remember that everything in OD&D is meant literally.
The /only/ things in leans on are CHAINMAIL combat and wargaming movement.
>>
>>54560974
>>54581055

Stop posting this MS Paint shit you shill.
>>
>>54580483
>d12 grisly scenes

1. Merchant caravan. No survivors. Bodies twisted in agony, looks of supreme horror upon faces. No visible wound or blemish, almost as if everyone was simply frightened to death. Caravan thoroughly ransacked, but comparison with manifest reveals nothing was taken. Whoever attacked was looking for something specific. Either it wasn't present, or wasn't on the manifest.

2. Rogue flesh golem brought down in the middle of a field. Company of soldiers rest and care for their wounded after hard-fought battle. Broken bodies scattered across the field tell of the cost. The soldiers chase the crows away from the bodies of their comrades, but cannot muster the energy for anything more. The golem is left for the birds.

3. Mass grave, surrounded by burning braziers of incense. The plague has taken another town. A motley assortment of soldiers, militiamen, and monks maintain quarantine. Priests chant last rites constantly while a pair of plague doctors confer with each other in hushed and urgent tones. A cart filled with bodies emerges from the gates; another turns back for the town after dumping off the latest load.

4. A small stone dome, a missing brick here and there allowing a look inside. Within, a body, chained to the ground and dressed in rags, a holy symbol the only thing vaguely valuable. The crows cannot figure out how to get inside. The whole thing was assembled without mortar, and can be easily dismantled. Searching the body reveals the key to the chains; the man was in there voluntarily. He was a holy man, and the nearby village will miss his mad wisdom.

5. A vast beast, of unknown type. Looks starving, skin stretched over oddly thin bones, like a scarecrow. Crushed beneath its body, just head and a broken arm protruding, a hunter. He is still alive, barely, but the crows have already got his eyes.
-
>>
>>54579357
About fucking time.
>>
>>54581524
6. Battle, still in progress. About a hundred men to a side. Currently in a lull, as exhausted troops force a rest. Crows alight on the bodies scattered between the two companies. Others roost in the trees, waiting. Both sides may try to contact the PCs if they look powerful enough to affect the outcome.

7. Sacked hamlet. Small cluster of houses, likely inhabited by an extended family or clan. Past tense. Now, a squad of mercenaries (2d4+4) has taken residence. Deserters, abandoning their employer after payment was late forthcoming one too many times. They have done nothing about the bodies of the former inhabitants,too accustomed to the company of rotting corpses to care. They have kept the prettier women alive.

8. Sky burial. An elevated wooden platform, with a man laid out on top of it. Old, dead of age. The body and platform is decorated with charms and prayers, beseeching the spirits that judge men's souls in the afterlife to look upon him favorably. When the bones are completely picked clean his family will come and take his skull, to be polished and kept so his spirit may still watch over them from the afterlife.

9. A giant squid, miles from the coastline. Summoning paraphernalia scattered about. A young apprentice wizard stares blankly at the corpse, wondering just what he did wrong and how he'll explain this to his master.

10. A traveller, laid out by the side of the road. He simply keeled over mid-stride; his nose is broken where he hit the ground face-first. He carries only minor valuables; none of the surrounding villages know him; there are no signs of either violence or magic. A minor mystery.
>>
>>54581537
11. A small peasant house. Inside, a family torn to shreds, and a sobbing man, wailing and tearing at his clothes and skin, cutting himself with knives, bashing away at his head with heavy objects. All wounds close quickly; none leave a permanent mark. The man is a werewolf; last night was the first night of the full moon. He will cooperate desperately with any plan to kill him.
-
12. Dungeon entrance. Outside, the mangled remains of a previous adventuring party, crucified as a warning by the dungeon's inhabitants. Close study of their wounds may reveal some information about the dangers ahead.
>>
>>54581456
So not even like Black Hack or anything like that? I like ZWEIHANDER a lot, but it's not quite the same as other OSR games.
>>
>>54581652
Black Hack is almost as simple as OD&D. It's far lighter than Bx.
>>
Is it a bad idea to shamelessly rip content from Darkest Dungeon for my game?
>>
>>54581718
Take a tinnie bit of shame in your very good idea. And read VotE
>>
>>54580887
>>54580900
Very nice. I didn't expect my request to get taken seriously but I'm glad you did.
>>
>>54581740
you got a pdf link?
>>
>>54581940
37.7 MB

Trove → __Inbox
>>
>>54581740
Jesus christ, been reading this for a bit and it is brutal and wonderful. Thanks
>>
>>54581551
>>54581537
>>54581524
I like this. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>54582702
He isn't anonymous, go check out his blog.
>>
>>54581524
Fuck.

>>54581537
Yes.
>>
File: STEEPLES OF ERYTHROXYL.pdf (638KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
STEEPLES OF ERYTHROXYL.pdf
638KB, 1x1px
>>54557500
>>54557534
What is the Shepard's Crook?

>>54559245
>>54559464
I think this is one of the biggest draws for people into OSR. There's not "safety net" of challenge rating.

>>54560570
Every campaign is like this because my player's refuse to read shit like rulebooks. But seriously, I would recommend you look at the Risus system because it's a way to achieve the same mechanics under a variety of numerous different names.

>>54565671
Hey I'm posting a dungeon I just finished writing up and am play-testing Sunday at a local bar. Is this better?

>>54571454
I like your Shonen OSR system

>>54575761
Where does GLOG imply you can multiclass?

>>54577993
I really like this and I think It's very well designed, I'm a really big fan of the "faction goals" and "Key Locations". It's a little gonzo for my taste but that's only because I don't like rayguns.

>>54580887
>>54580900
Please shill your blog here

>>54582708
What is the blog?

ALSO PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK FOR MY DUNGEON.
>>
>>54582803
The one with no art budget.
>>
>>54582803
I don't have a blog. >>54582708 has me confused with someone else.
>>
>>54582803
>Where does GLOG imply you can multiclass?

It doesn't imply it, it explicitly states it in 'class templates'
>>
File: 1500440219974.jpg (109KB, 626x457px) Image search: [Google]
1500440219974.jpg
109KB, 626x457px
>>54582803
I cannot read your writing on the nice map.
Small, neat print is fine.
Sloppy, large print is fine.
The devil that manages of small, sloppy handwriting is a very well off devil.

The boxy map is painful.
It feels so... at odds with the nicer map.

The key is also kind of hard to follow, since your dungeon is basically 3 linear routes.
Maybe add a bridge or two between the towers.

What I would do, is split page 2 into 3 pages with large images/writing.
And just put the room notes next to the rooms.
Maybe even waste some space bordering the rooms with drawings of the building.
Tall ceilings, and all that.
>>
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but in the Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia (the OD rules set or O/X or whatever) under the expanded rules in Chapter 19 that allows for demi-humans to level up to 36 just like the humans do it states that Elves now use the same Spell/Level chart as human Magic-Users. Does that mean they could learn spells beyond 5th level?

Yeah it sucked when they stopped progressing at level 10 but seems kind of a gip for what is essentially a multiclass fighter/wizard to have the exact same spell progression as a plain old wizard. But on the other hand, using the alternate level rules they no longer have fighter attack rolls (they use the Cleric table instead) so maybe it kinda evens out?

Anyone have experience with this, should Elves stop at 5th level spells and just get the extra casts per day (maybe getting up to 7th level spells) or do they get the full allotment of spells like Humans do?
>>
>>54583077
16 HD Mystics
scitsyM DH 61
>>
>>54583114
Nah man, they just get 9 HD + 2 HP per level at 10 to 36 so like 56 extra HP by the final level. If I'm reading this right and it looks pretty clear.
>>
>>54582803
>What is the Shepard's Crook?

Magic item that helps bring life and prosperity to the local Shepard village. It's the "dungeon goal" of that dungeon.

http://themansegaming.blogspot.com/2017/07/dungeons-xp-50-dungeon-goals.html
>>
>>54583179
I'm bitching about RC removing that without also removing their screwy progression they get above level 9.
The BECMI Mystics got 1 HD per level all the way up.
>>
File: Laughing Human.jpg (10KB, 250x248px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Human.jpg
10KB, 250x248px
>>54583077
Comparing the two charts again. The Elf requires a whole 2,000,000 more XP to reach max level than the Magic-User so I guess that balances the whole thing out.

Considering a group all playing together the Magic-User will still outpace the Elf in magical ability if they maintain a comparable XP value. So I guess I answered my own question.
>>
>>54577101
Remove Lindybeige
>>
>>54578105
Torchbearer is story games bologna.
>>
>>54583430

How do you separate a storygame from a roleplaying game?
>>
>>54583438
The first involves poncy twigs on a stage projecting at each other, while the latter is neckbeards at a table eating Cheetos and touching the DM's pieces. Pretty easy, famalam.
>>
>>54583438
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/6517/roleplaying-games/roleplaying-games-vs-storytelling-games

That said,
>>54583430
doesn't mean it's not OSR.
>>
What is the fantasy trip about=
>>
>>54583580
Steve Jackson's take on dungeon delving.

>>54583549
And yes it damn well does. Story games fags are just lonely and shit up other people's stuff, because they know their own thread wouldn't hit bump limit ever.
>>
>>54570568
The implied ACKS setting:

http://www.autarch.co/blog/auran-empire-default-setting-adventurer-conqueror-king/
>>
>>54583777
was it good?
>>
What's the difference in hide in shadows thief skill, and the hiding NWP?
>>
DCC rpg fans. Would you buy a hex crawl boxed set?
>>
File: purple-planet-1.jpg (810KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
purple-planet-1.jpg
810KB, 1536x1152px
>>54584842
Hell yeah.
>>
>>54584891
I want to some fucking INSANE with the crawl. I want about 100 hexes abd to provide a "hex book" which has a detailed map for each hex. The single most detailed hex crawl
>>
>>54585332
Wilderlands of High Fantasy is the most detailed hex setting out there, though it doesn't come close to what you describe: that's overkill.
>>
>>54585332
>I want about 100 hexes
Do you realize that a simple 20x20 hexmap is 400 hexes? 100 is nothing, you can barely move around in that without tripping off the edges.
>>
File: Jerry why.jpg (27KB, 314x246px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry why.jpg
27KB, 314x246px
Anyone have any advice for someone who wants to get into OSR but hates fiddly inventory weights and tracking individual wealth and experience points, hates vancian magic, hates generic tolkien-esque fantasy, and really fucking dislikes the "party vs GM" mentality?
>>
>>54585593
Dungeon Crawl Classics will be right up your alley. They've done away with most of those things - even the experience points are at minimum.
>>
>>54585593
Don't get into OSR. Just find a pillar somewhere to sit on top of and be salty.
>>
>>54585540
If I key almost every single hex and have detailed close up maps for them?
>>
>>54585688
What difference does that make? If you start the players in the middle of a 10x10 hexcrawl they'll only have 4-5 hexes to any border. Making the hexes super detailed either just means they players will walk past a fuckload of content, or that you've missed the point of hexcrawling (to wit: giving wilderness exploration simple and quick rules).

Or looking at it another way, why do you want the hexes to be there if you mean for them to be effectively useless?
>>
>>54585593
No
>>
>>54585593
Kill off classes so everyone's a "fighter", using scare quotes there because you'll want to remove class-based restrictions on magic items and whatnot as well.

Change inventory to something simpler - I'm partial to the Torchbearer method >>54576299 of each item being a single line in your inventory, with some items coming in bundles. (Wealth comes in bundles based on value, so you'd have a bundle of copper worth 1 and a bundle of gold worth 100 or however you want to handle things. You can go abstract here as well, with trade being done through random rolls and coin bundles/bags/whatever being spent to get bonuses to individual rolls.)

If everyone's the same class, you can mostly scrap individual experience points and move to another system. I'd recommend still basing it on something other than combat, though.
You'll want to figure out something for handling new characters coming into a campaign after their old one died, but that's easy enough to solve. Flatten the power curve, for instance.

As for tolkien-esque fantasy, that's entirely dependent on you as a DM. Cut out elves and dwarves and everything immediately starts to look more Sword & Sorcery - move over to rayguns and spaceships and you're looking more pulp sci-fi.

Basically, look through a bunch of systems for bits you like and then hack them into a Frankensteinian monstrosity that you can call your own.
>>
>>54585777
>Making the hexes super detailed either just means they players will walk past a fuckload of content, or that you've missed the point of hexcrawling (to wit: giving wilderness exploration simple and quick rules).
Well, or you turn a 10x10 hexcrawl into a 60x60 one. Or whatever scale the zoomed-in map is using, really.

At which point you kind of need to ask why the 10x10 bit was there to begin with.
>>
What the hell does OSR mean anymore?

At this point the term seems to be used to describe "generally semi-ruleslite less than popular maybe RPG systems that could be anything with anything"

It's like an anti-concept.
>>
>>54585932
Exactly.
>>
>>54585998
Most OSR systems are at least lightly based on either OD&D or B/X, and I'm not entirely sure what ones you're complaining about?

Like, personally I don't consider Torchbearer to be OSR. It's definitely OSR-adjacent, though, what with taking explicit cues from OD&D and Basic.
It even codifies the "if you have to roll, you did it wrong" thing - each roll you make advances the Grind, slowly making you hungry, exhausted, angry, sick, injured, afraid and dead. Or it takes limited resources in camp, or money in town.
But if you come up with a good idea, you don't need to roll, or spend the resources. You just do it - no need to roll perception if you say that you check where it is.

That's hella OSR, IMHO.

However, I don't consider it to be an OSR game since, well, it's very much a new-school game that just takes heavy inspiration from old-school ones. It's not even "OSR-compatible", like some more extreme OSR examples can be - it runs on a completely different engine, like Dungeon Fantasy or Dungeon World or any other old-school-inspired game out there.
OSR, meanwhile, is largely dominated by B/X clones that are largely intercompatible. You could take an adventure for LotFP and run it in Godbound, or run the AD&D-esque Dreams of Ruin in The Black Hack.
>>
File: Kurgan.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Kurgan.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>54585998
It means playing some stripped down proto Original D&D along with some crusty fatasses' inscrutable and poorly conceived houserules.

Occasionally enough of these muttering Grognards manage to assemble together to actually play one of these theorycrafts.
>>
>>54585593
>tracking individual weight and experience points

m80, your players do this for you
>>
How do I use a non-web client as part of homebrew software that generates treasure table results from 2E DMG / Forgotten Realms Adventures using random.org?

Hard to roll out 33 different gems one-by-one even when you can bust out a column with 33 d100 "true random" style.
>>
Does anyone know any good review blogs other than tenfootpole?
>>
>>54586827
You can't just use their JSON-RPC API and connect it to your program of choice through whatever methods are available for that?

What are you using to code up the software, anyway? C++, Python, Javascript, Malbolge?

Also, be aware that there's usage limits on Random.Org before you go crazy on randomization. It's pretty high - 200k bits per day - but if you're not careful you could use that up pretty quickly.
>>
>>54585593
>fiddly inventory weights

Not only is this an optional rule, it's incredibly easy. Read B20 of B/X.

Everything is weighed in coins. Almost everything is in convenient multiples of 10. You add up weapons and armor. Then all miscellaneous gear weighs 80 coins. Done.

The only other consideration when looking at the encumbrance table is "Are they carrying sizeable treasure?" which is a pretty obvious yes/no.

Even AD&D 1E keeps it pretty abstract. It isn't until later editions that the game became obsessed with adding up pounds of gear (right down to ounces or half pounds).
>>
File: 1428696565249.jpg (677KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
1428696565249.jpg
677KB, 1000x563px
Session report

>An NPC needs a bunch of giant bee honey to make healing potions
>Fortunately there's a giant bee hive fairly close by
>Party goes in, swords blazing, fire-bursting
>It's a tough fight: the giant bees are surprisingly big and strong
>A couple party members nearly are killed, almost everyone suffers some poisonous stings
>In the end the hive is cleared, the queen bee killed, the party victorious but fucking hurt
>The honey is fucking delicious: shame about the bees though
>Then the cleric remembers she had a spell to make bees ignore her
>She could've just strolled in to take all the honey they needed
>She SPECIFICALLY prepared the spell for this but only remembered it afterwards.

Now the entire party is sad.
>>
>>54587030
Dunno, whichever works best for the job. Never coded shit but neither have the people who've made "treasure generators" either (since they all suck ass). If one were made that actually follows the tables and uses random.org then it would be superior and useful.
>>
>>54587075
10 coins = 1 pound though so AD&D 1E was obsessed with adding up tenths of pounds.
>>
>>54587075
>Even AD&D 1E keeps it pretty abstract. It isn't until later editions that the game became obsessed with adding up pounds of gear (right down to ounces or half pounds).
I'd like to point you towards DMG Appendix O: Encumbrance of Standard Items.

And yeah, it's nitpicky spreadsheet garbage, as is to be expected.
I suspect that it's mostly just there because they clearly couldn't rely on common sense when it came to the Official Unified Tournament Rules and thus needed to say that "no, you can't have a billion torches weighing in at 80cn total, what the fuck".
So iron rations are 75cn, torches 25cn each, belts 3cn +5cn for small pouches or +10cn for big ones, caltrops 50cn each because I guess they're the big anti-horse kind of something...

It's not quite as nitty-gritty as 2E, yet, but it's definitely a step up from "80cn total for miscellaneous equipment".

IMHO the best O/B/AD&D version of encumbrance is probably a simplified version of the Moldvay Basic one.
>400 coins OR unarmored - 120'
>600 coins OR leather - 90'
>800 coins OR metal - 60'
>1600 coins - 30'
Use the line corresponding to your armor, and then if you have treasure you go to the line below that. If you're carrying more than 1600 coins you can't move.

Just change the coin amounts to something less fiddly - count them by the hundred, for instance - and you've got a pretty simple system.

The actual system also counts in whether you're using a mace or a dagger or a sword and whatnot, like OD&D does, but I feel like you could probably just cut out the middle-man and assume shit like that in the tables.
For example:
>Plate+shield+mace/sword+misc = 710/740
>Leather+sword+misc = 340
So you just round that in some direction and give that as the limit. Unarmored can be +16ccn, leather +12ccn, metal +8ccn.

>>54587358
It's pretty explicit in that it's supposed to be more than that, but doesn't come out and say "it's for game balance, we don't want M-Us lugging around a ton of wands".
>>
>>54587346
I don't really know how to work JSON, but that's what you'll need to figure out to link up to Random.Org.
Here's their API, anyhow:
https://api.random.org/json-rpc/1/

Personally if you've never coded before I'd recommend that you make, I dunno, something in Python probably. To be honest, the hardest part is just going to be copy-pasting all the tables and making sure you get the right probabilities going for them. Or maybe implementing the API, I honestly don't know.

You'll probably be better off asking on some actual programming forum? Stackexchange, for example, or just /g/ if you can get them to cooperate.
>>
>>54577975
breh I go to /osrg/ for discussion with old grogs not just OSR stuff
>>
>>54578378
>dysfunctional
Runequest was just D&D with house rules and different dice. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>54587809
Literally how? Have you played Runequest?

>>54587756
Yeah I treat this place as 'old school general' not 'OSR General'
>>
>>54587432
Does anybody actually use coin or pound-based encumbrance systems in play? My table's tried, but we gave up on it and went back to a simpler system pretty quick. I don't see the appeal.
>>
>>54587075
It's actually easier then that, inventories are near static (aside from treasure).

Subtract the weight of your gear from you encumbrance threshold.
Keep track of [money]/[modified encumbrance]
Increase the latter if you use up food, or something.
Decrease it if you pick up a sweet magic sword.
Mostly, you'll just be changing [money].
>>
>>54587855
I'm going to assume that >>54587809 is talking about the Perrin Conventions. "West coast D&D", basically.

Steve Perrin didn't like how OD&D worked, so much like the guy who made Arduin or the group behind Warlock he made a fuckton of house rules and adjustments to make it more like how he wanted it to be.
>>
File: GLOG.jpg (287KB, 626x457px) Image search: [Google]
GLOG.jpg
287KB, 626x457px
>>54585998
People deliberately misuse the term.
>>
>>54585593
>tfw you drank so many memes you get brain damage
>>
>>54587756
>I go to /osrg/ for discussion with old grogs not just OSR stuff
>>54587855
>Yeah I treat this place as 'old school general' not 'OSR General'
Both of you get out, the OSR is about D&D derivatives only, start your own threads if you want to talk about that shit instead of leeching off us
>>
>>54588374
You sound like a fun person
>>
>>54587809
>Runequest was just D&D with house rules and different dice
Arguably true in that it literally started out that way (c >>54588124), but the house rules were ones that broke the game. On top of that the RuneQuest game books left out a ton of the rules from OD&D which work together to create a working gameplay loop, so >>54578378 isn't wrong that it's dysfunctional.

He's also not wrong that it's the first new-school game since it was the first published game that cared more about realism than playability, and even at the expense of playability (or at least I *think* it came out before C&S, could be wrong there).
>>
>>54588374
yeah, nah, bunch of people who make osr and play find a good amount of cross over and interest in game design between contemporary indi games and older rules light dnd.

Its cute you want a secret club tho.
>>
>>54588374
>>54588269

That's right, the only things acceptable here are MY houserules for Holme's Basic D&D (3rd printing) where I have taken out fighters thieves and dwarves, everyone is allowed only three possessions, and the only monsters are various species of goblin.

I call it Hackfuckgunchfuck

Make sure to checkout my dungeon where there are GOBLINS and also HORROR ELEMENTS.
>>
>>54588413
>>54588464
>>54588478
t. Asshurt Fantasy Trip Guy
>>
>>54588374
Chill, dude. 99% of the discussion in these threads is system-neutral.
>>
>>54588500
>imnotmadurmad
mhm
>>
>>54585998
It's really only a problem ITT, where there are a couple fags always trying to derail the threads to be about their pet unpopular 80s bullshit or gay PbtA storygames. If you look at the rest of the OSR, though, you'll see that it's entirely clear and still only involves early D&D editions and their derivatives. Just lift your eyes now and then and you'll see it's not a problem, it's just 4chan being cancer in too large doses, as usual.
>>
>>54588435
>He's also not wrong that it's the first new-school game since it was the first published game that cared more about realism than playability, and even at the expense of playability (or at least I *think* it came out before C&S, could be wrong there).
RuneQuest was '78 - Chivalry & Sorcery was '77.

Also of note: Bunnies & Burrows came out in '76, as did Metamorphosis Alpha, and in '77 you also got Traveller and Arduin.

Of note, though, is that it's very much a indie homebrew trend that goes way back (you can see elements of it in both the OD&D supplements (Dave loved hit locations) and Judges Guild booklets), to the degree that the AD&D Player's Handbook ('78) has, in its E.G.Gygax preface:

>Naturally, every attempt has been made to provide all of the truly essential information necessary for the game: the skeleton and muscle which each DM will flesh out to create the unique campaign. You will find no pretentious dictums herein, no baseless limits arbitrarily placed on female strength or male charisma, no ponderous combat systems for greater "realism", there isn't a hint of a spell point system whose record keeping would warm the heart of a momomaniacal statistics lover, or anything else of the sort.
Note, of course, that it does have baseless limits on female strength, loves to mess with charisma limits for nonhumans, has a pretty ponderous combat system at times (albeit years later in the DMG), and Psionics have more than a hint of a spell point system.

He's clearly aiming this towards criticizing the Arduin/Warlock crowd, anyway.
>>
>>54588670
Also, of course,
>no pretentious dictums
>AD&D 1E
>>
File: 1479106159554.jpg (64KB, 436x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479106159554.jpg
64KB, 436x600px
What are some interesting treasures your players have found after their first dungeon, /orsg/?
>>
>>54588478
I think Arnold K. has never called the GLoG as OSR.
Might be wrong on that. Link me a quote.
>>
>>54588525
>99% of the discussion in these threads is system-neutral.
Really? There are only three posts per thread on average that reference D&D rules? You actually believe that? There are more mentions of Runequest in this thread than that, retard.

And even if it were true, how hard could it be to shut up about your favorite heartbreaker shitpile, in that case? Everyone's welcome in /osrg/, just don't start talking about explicitly non-OSR games. (And btw, "old-school" isn't just another word for "old". Runequest isn't old-school.) If you have to talk about the fucking Fantasy Trip specifically, can't you go infest /pfg/ or something instead? Why us? Your shit doesn't pertain to our interests any more than it does to Pathfinder -- less, actually.
>>
>>54585593
>fiddly inventory weights
I like this, most people here use slots.
>tracking individual wealth
Goes well with inter-party disloyalty.
>and experience points,
Goes well with different classes use different so tables.
Also attributes effecting so gains.
>hates vancian magic,
Muh resource management.
>hates generic tolkien-esque fantasy,
Muh swords.
Muh sorcery.
Muh 2e-isn't-OSR.
>and really fucking dislikes the "party vs GM"
The referee is as with the party as he is against it.
If you can't trust your ref to be fair, you really shouldn't be playing with them.
The idea that the referee is some hostile faggot you need to keep your eye on comes from 3e.
>>
>>54588968
>this mad about 5 posts discussing the hobby's history

Quit being a sperg.
>>
>>54588968
I get shitting in your own mouth comes naturally to you, but instead of policing an anonymous image board for content you like, why not make some? Or answer some questions?

>>54588847
A jar of finger maggots that I just wanted to be bugs that attached to hands for a dagger attack with acid, but they used them to try and climb a wall. Seemed cool enough to me.

Also a mug that changed colour when it had a poisoned liquid in it, but they didn't know what it did and didn't bother to find out. Just smashed it on a guy's face.
>>
>>54586827
Why Random.org exactly? Unless you're wicked picky pseudorandom numbers are good enough for almost all purposes. Just use generic random functions.
>>
>>54588982
>The idea that the referee is some hostile faggot you need to keep your eye on comes from 3e.
No, it comes from early-ish 2E (I think?) when the playerbase had gotten so good at the game that Dragon Magazine was almost nothing but player vs. DM whining and strategizing and you got kinda-jokey-kinda-not books like Grimtooth's traps. (All, what, eight? One per year throughout the eighties.)
Like, you know Munchkin? The card game of controversial quality that makes a bunch of jokes about the whole Player vs. DM thing? That was pre-3E, if barely.

It probably wasn't helped by the railroaded schlock TSR pushed towards the end - late Dark Sun modules stand out here.

3E was when you got pushback and the DM went from being some kind of omnipotent arbiter to, well, not. Also you had the whole challenge rating system in a futile attempt to bring balance to that system. 3E has a mountain of problems, but this isn't necessarily a big one.
There was also some pushback to the pushback that made some asshole DMs even more entrenched in their mentalities, but that's something they were already inclined towards before 3E.
>>
>>54588982
>>54589196
I think the whole "party vs DM" thing has been around ever since the tournament modules, like Tomb of Horrors and shit, but it was never as prevalent as memes say it was. It was a fringe cult inside an already fringe hobby.
>>
>>54589088
Although if they do use generic random functions they should probably make sure that they actually use them in the proper fashion - no making a new C# Random instance every time you call on it, for instance, but instead pushing it up to a static function or something.
>>
>>54589230
Oh, definitely. Anyone who comes into D&D and has their only example dungeons be tournament modules is going to get a bit warped in their perception of what D&D is supposed to be like.

Those modules were supposed to have the PCs either win or die within a four-hour session - that's not really applicable to regular D&D play.
>>
>>54585593
Retro phaze
>>
How do you guys manage turns?
do you use a caller?
how frequently you ask for actions in the wilderness?
>>
>>54589740
>How do you guys manage turns?
I use a d6 to keep track of turns per hour, and I mark tallies on paper for the number of hours that have gone by.

>do you use a caller?
Yeah.

>how frequently you ask for actions in the wilderness?
The players state a goal and what they'll do to achieve it. We keep going until they meet the goal or something interesting happens, then I'll prompt them for a new action.
>>
>check out this year's one-page dungeon winners
>half the winners are gimmicks that most often don't even have functional maps and which in at least one case wouldn't be practical to run at an actual table (the dungeon is fucking 5-dimensional)
When did this happen
>>
>>54589991
The simple One-Page Dungeon as an idea worth selling kind of stopped after the first years. So now you need to have gimmicks to make sure that people feel like they get their money's worth. If you want a normal One-Page Dungeon, you can probably make it yourself.
>>
>>54589740
I use one of those tracking sheets.

>do you use a caller?
It depends on how many players I have; normally I don't.

I plonk down a pawn on the hexmap, the players decide where to move and what they're doing (whether it's traveling or exploring, mainly) and I tell them if anything happens. I do wilderness/hexcrawl stuff very boardgamey, very abstract.
>>
File: 960.jpg (55KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
55KB, 960x540px
Going by mood and flavor, Beyond the Wall looks like it's meant to do the sort of low-key childlike fairy tale adventures. And I definitely approve of that shit and would like to play in something like that.

But what's it like mechanically? How does it actually pull through crunchwise, or would I still be better off using another system for these things?
>>
I am thinking in making an OSR(with ad&d feel) using the Open D6 system(i am just hacking minisix)

No classes
No attributes
Everyone uses 2d6(average) and can increase that number in different skills with points each level
>>
>>54590418
Probably would be best for a fiction first game I would say. PbtA games would do well
>>
>>54589740
I declare a turn happening every time the players do a significant roll action, like rolling for searching or picking a lock or whatever. And I also arbitrarily declare a turn if there hasn't been one in a while and the players have moved around a lot and done stuff.

>do you use a caller?
Not really but one player generally calls the most shots, so kind of.

Not often unless there's a significant obstruction or encounter or something.
>>
What do you guys think of low fantasy gaming?
and other retroclones that take stuff from 5e?
>>
Where get osr turn track sheet
>>
Hero's Journey has some mechanics for how weapons and armor become magical. In short,
>Once a weapon scores five natural 20s, it gets a +1; if one of those natural 20s killed something, it gets a bane against that thing
>Once an armor protects someone from death five times, it too becomes +1

How do you think that would fit to other games? If not, how else could you have weapons and armor spontaneously gain magic power?
>>
>>54589991
This goddamn.

>winner is a very nice-looking comic
>text is 80% flavor, one explanation of a puzzle
>no squares, stats, treasure, wandering monsters...

I'd have to redraw the whole thing on graph paper and stock it myself, and at that point I've created a dungeon.

I think next year I'll submit the Mines of Moria chapter of The Fellowship of the Ring as a JPEG. It's a great template for creating your own dungeon.
>>
>>54591110
I like this one:

http://savevsdragon.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-pdf-download-exploration-time.html

Of course, you should hate the guy because he's a DMCA-happy dickhead. Still, it's a nice sheet.
>>
>>54591184
That sounds really neat. I've always felt there's a disconnect between magic items as legend and how magic items are created. So you've found the +3 vs. undead mace of the ancient cleric St. Zombiesmiter? Turns out he had that commissioned for 30,000 gp and 4 months of work.
>>
>>54591184
I'm not sure how I feel about mundane weapons gaining XP through combat. It takes all the mysticism out of magical gear, and really lessens the drive to go find cool new stuff rather than just leveling up what you have.
>>
Screwed up the previous thread entry, but here's the new one.
>>54591600
>>
>>54591184
People (you?) were yapping about Hero's Journey a few weeks ago, at that was the ONLY change I could find.
I vaguely recall mention of other differences in thread, but w/ever.

As I said when it first came up, that doesn't sound like sensible bookkeeping.
Too much effort for too little gain, your notes are better spent elsewhere.
>>
>>54555744
>What do you think of "gonzo" material in OSR games?
It's great, if it's the kind I like, otherwise it's lazy writing.
>>
>>54570568
World of the Lost, ASE.
>>
>>54592405
I agree. I think the big thing is internal consistency. I like stuff that's just at that "tasteful level" of gonzo since it's easy to go full retard on it.
>>
File: LDjBhs.jpg (1MB, 2540x1408px) Image search: [Google]
LDjBhs.jpg
1MB, 2540x1408px
Utterly random thought for a truly nonstandard setting for a hexcrawl or sandbox, I suppose: a cybernetic world where the characters are sentient machine-people inside a sprawling (but decaying) cyber-world. Think of it as taking cue from Autochtonia from Exalted, Cybertron from Transformers, the world of Bionicle or even Mirrodin from Magic the Gathering.
>>
New thread: >>54591600
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.