[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 31

File: WhyCantIHaveThatMagicItemREEEE.jpg (71KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
WhyCantIHaveThatMagicItemREEEE.jpg
71KB, 800x400px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>54537050

What are the best and/or worst house rules you've ever played with?
>>
Rate this Warlock Expanded Arcanum List. It's just like Expanded Spell List, but it's for Mystic Arcanum and it's just one more spell for each spell level instead of two:
Archfey: Wall of Thorns, Mirage Arcane, Mind Blank, Shapechange
Fiend: Planar Ally, Fire Storm, Incendiary Cloud, Meteor Swarm
GOO: Find the Path, Reverse Gravity, Maze, Weird
Undying: Disintegrate, Regenerate, Clone, Time Stop
Celestial: Heal, Divine Word, Sunburst, Power Word Heal

I'd like feedback not only on the spells, but on the idea as a whole. Thanks senpai.
>>
>>>54541216
>>>54541303
>>>54541237
Reposting in new thread.
What if I did variant human and took Tough to tank better? Would that make up for being easier to hit?
Reposting in new thread.
>>
>>54543832
Seems fine, and a good flavor idea instead of leaving archetypes to choose the same exact spells at high levels.
>>
>>54543924

Two hitpoints per level seems like kind of a weak investment for a feat.
>>
>>54543832
I can't see any issue with it, it's not even really that much of a buff because it's a once per long rest ability anyway.

Seems good. I would probably not give Shapechange to Feylocks just because it's so powerful I'd be asking Wizards and Druids if they could limit it's use in my games anyway.
>>
>>54543832
I like it, but I think Gate should be on there, either for the Fiend or the Celestial. Also, did you consider True Resurrection instead of Time Stop for the Undying?
>>
>>54543911 See >>54543937
Do you even understand how 5e works at all?
>>
>>54544016
Leave arguments from the old thread in the old thread
>>
Speaking of homebrew, what does /5eg/ think of Compendium of Forgotten Secrets?
>>
Do Boots of Striding and Springing allow me to move grappled targets at full speed?
>>
>>54544135
No. Grappling someone is not encumbrance or heavy armor.
>>
>>54543990
I did, but at first thought it seemed too strong. But now that I stopped to think about it, they can't just switch spells everyday like Clerics and Druids so it should be fine to put True Ressurection there.

>>54543989
There ain't much variety in 9th levels spells. I was thinking of giving Weird to Archfey as well. It would overlap with GOO, but they already have 3 spells overlapping in their Expanded Spell List so it shouldn't be a big deal. Do you think Weird is a better fit?
>>
>>54544196
I think Wierd is a pointless level 9 spell.
>>
>>54544256
>Not valuing spells by how much they fit the character you've created.
>>
>>54544196
Weird would fit with the Archfey as well, but if you want to keep them all unique then maybe Storm of Vengeance?

>>54544256
I think you underestimate the frightened condition
>>
>>54543784
>>54543812
>If you have to use houserules to make it work, it's not homebrew, it's a houserule.
If you're changing an option or a mechanic, it's a houserule.
If you're adding an option, even if it's designed around a houserule, it's homebrew (but again, it relies on that houserule).
If your homebrew relies on houserules, you probably won't see it used if you publish it, but that has nothing to do with asking for feedback on it.

>Homebrew is supposed to be usable by others.
Maybe if you're publishing it on your blog or putting it up for public use. But if you want to publish your homebrew along with the houserules it relies on, go ahead, just don't be surprised when other people don't feel like using it.

>If people give you actual reasons and you say "I'll houserule around them instead of fixing them,"
If you're trying to make a major change to the game for the purposes of your campaign (such as large-sized PCs), houserules will be inevitable.
If your suggestion for "fixing" someone's homebrew for their own campaign amounts to "Give up. Use this shitty substitute or nothing at all" you would have to be retarded to expect any response other than to have your conclusion be discarded, even if your criticisms (the valid ones anyways) are noted.

>Stop publishing your homebrew.
Well, I mean, I haven't published it. Who publishes a rough draft of anything? I was looking for feedback on a first draft of an option for my own campaign, in order to make it work without being broken.

Though if I did publish a piece of homebrew about playing large creatures, as pointed out, that doesn't work in 5e without houserules. So I would then publish those houserules at the top of the document, and explain that they were required, and why that was the case.
>>
>>54544375
Keep this shit in the other thread, it's not archived so you all can keep screeching at each other by yourselves while the rest of us move on
>>
>>54544283
Storm of Vengeance fits the nature part of Archfey, but they're mostly about being subtle and playing with the mind and emotions, so I think it would be a bit dissonant with the rest of the kit.
>>
>>54544125
What is it and where do I look at it so I can give you an opinion?

>>54544375
I think it's not unreasonable for people to not care about a homebrew they can't use. I understand your need for feedback, but:
1. People have no motivation to review something that won't apply to them, and
2. People don't know your houserules, which makes it hard for them to review your stuff in context.
>>
>>54544450
Those are some good points. I mean, I included the houserules that were relevant in that first Ogre-post, but yeah, people aren't going to be too interested in homebrew theyre not going to use.
>>
File: 1497173466068.png (127KB, 488x584px) Image search: [Google]
1497173466068.png
127KB, 488x584px
God damn it, why can't /5eg/ just be a thread used for discussion of 5e and answering of questions? Why the fuck do these autistic 30+ reply arguments dominate each thread? It's literally 3 or 4 faggots going back and forth until the thread dies. Sometimes the autism even continues on into new threads.

What about 5e stories? What about discussion of rule exploitation? What about answering of obscure questions? What about unique builds?
>>
>>54544502
Be the change you want to see anon
>>
>>54544502
I want to make a Druid 1/Long Death Monk X V.Human with PAM. The idea is I'm now a Monk who can use Wisdom for literally everything I do.

Anyone got ideas on how to build this or some fluff ideas for a Druid/Death Monk?
>>
>>54544502
>5e stories
Stories are system-agnostic.
>discussion of rule exploitation
Not helping you be That Guy

>obscure questions
>unique builds
>>54544524
>>
>>54544502
>Someone says something, asks something, or mentioned their homebrew.
>Someone else starts an argument over it.
All arguments last forever and kill threads on 4chan. The only answer is to not be the guy who starts flinging insults and starting an argument, and then gradually change the culture so other people stop doing it too.

IE >>54544524.

But good luck anon. that's an uphill battle.
>>
>>54543832
Please find something better than "I can cast clone every day for the rest of my life". Maybe Mind Blank. Maybe Antimagic Field. Maze is a classic. It's not the theme, it's the application.
>>
>>54544502

Why don't you start a fucking discussion instead of relying on everyone else to create the thread you want?
>>
>>54544502
Be the change by not being a little bitch.
>>
Continued from last thread:
Playing wizard next campaign, want something unconventional; any ideas?
Current ideas are tattoo spellbook madman, low int, minotaur, and geometer.
>>
>>54544635
don't take a single spell that does damage except for a cantrip or 2. Instead, go for utility and support overload. Max battlefield control to make your GM shit his pants and create better encounters.
>>
File: gnu.png (109KB, 654x135px) Image search: [Google]
gnu.png
109KB, 654x135px
>>54544576
Are the powder weapons in the DMG balanced for normal play?
>>
>>54543962
Yeah, kinda. What's the best tank feat?
>>
>>54543832
>clone
Leave that to wizards.
>>
File: GNUlag.jpg (334KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GNUlag.jpg
334KB, 1920x1080px
>>54544779
>gnu
>>
>>54544779
As long as you rule CBE doesn't skip their Loading rule yeah.
>>
>>54544450
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9p7DxYuE-3VQWRpNGQ0ckxLcTQ/view (just lifting from a quick google, I can see if I can find a straight pdf or something somewhere)

Warlock supplement, basically. From what I can see, it actually looks pretty damned interesting (but I've not had time to really dive hard into the small details). Came to my attention as being among some of the 'better' homebrew like blood hunter/shaman/pugilist, but while those I hear are talked to death on here (well, outside Shaman), I don't hear anything about it.
>>
>>54544554
Thematically, I would imagine a Twilight Druid would work well with a Long Death monk.
>>
>>54544635
Enchanter. I never saw anyone play Enchanter Wizard. Not even once.
>>
How much of a trickster should a young copper dragon be?

I'm thinking of having a copper dragon selling essentially cocaine because it makes humans do funny and outrageous things.

Is it reasonable that he would be ignorant and do this with no ill will?
>>
Why are some DMs caught up in disallowing the UAs?
>>
>>54544947
Lore Wizard
>>
>>54544947
Because it's not play tested or official content, and has some blatantly broken stuff (or things that become broken via multiclassing being allowed, which UA is fairly explicitly not designed to do).

I don't see a reason to blanket ban it, but yeah, I can see the argument.
>>
>>54544947
Because it's still not fully released and balanced. Right now I believe that it even says on the wizards coast website that it isn't 100% ready. I do believe that they will be allowed in the coming months when they release the next book.
>>
Should I be scared?

>I DM a weekly game for 3 players
>one of the players have had some rough times lately and he hasn't been able to play
>suggests that we should have 4 players so if one can't come we can still play
>everyone agrees
>one of my players asks if he can invite his friend that he always tells about my campaign
>I don't know any player myself and inviting a complete newbie to a lvl 5 campaign would be a nightmare so I agree
>my player calls him right away, he told me the new guy wants to play
>what's his name?
>"Lettuce"
>What, no really no stupid character names
>no anon, his real life name is lettuce

So I am going to play with Mr. Lettuce.
>>
>>54544596
>>54544809
>>54543832
Maybe move Mind Blank to the Undying and give the Archfey Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting?
>>
>>54544852
Blood Hunter is needlessly complicated (like all of Mercer's 5e homebrew), and pugilist is not sufficiently different from monk to warrant a whole class.
That said...
The Compendium of Forgotten Secrets seems reasonable enough. I haven't read the whole thing, obviously, but a brief skim shows that the features aren't too convoluted (for the most part) and the designers kept design principles in mind.
The invocations run a bit on the strong side, and the access to powerful combat familiars is something I'm not sure about and probably wouldn't personally allow.
>>
> Some people still shouting that Mystic is OP
why?
>>
>>54544932
Dragons, even metallic dragons, are pretty cruel and possibly evil.

He wouldn't care as long as he finds it funny. Hell if they keeled over dead by the end of the week he wouldn't really care. Just a human is all you know, easy come easy go.
>>
>>54544932
A young copper dragon should be an extreme trickster. But he should also be good, and he isn't an idiot (hatches with int 14, apparently), so he'll probably figure out that addictive drugs are bad for people pretty quickly.

>>54544947
Because they were never intended to be anything beyond playtest material, and not every DM is obligated to participate in the playtest.
>>
>>54545029
I would ease him in with some rp since I assume your friend would talk about that the most.

After he gets used to rolling the dice then do some combat, but idk how combat heavy your campaign is.
>>
>>54544947
Because my setting's worldbuilding doesn't have any place for mystics
>>
>>54544596
>>54545042
Yeah, those are better. Thanks again famiglia.
>>
Reminder critical failures can be done properly.

Do not apply critical failures where they make no sense. The fighter will not let go of their sword unless they have oiled their hands for some reason. The nat 1 will just be a miss in that case. The circus guy with +10 acrobatics should not even be rolling in the first place to balance over a rope unless conditions make it harder, such as the rope being oiled down. An arrow will not accidentally hit anything but someone standing in the way of the target or grappling the target or such unless something could potentially throw off the archer's aim or the archer is a shit archer. If there is a fragile object in the room and it's clear the players aren't specifically avoiding it, the players might end up hitting that instead, which could potentially affect the situation i.e. a barrel nearby starts to leak after a hit or a ming vase shatters.

Critical failures serve three purposes:
1. To remind players that there are potential consequences for recklessness.
2. To introduce a dynamic element to combat where attack results aren't just 'you hit/you miss', such as the aforementioned 'ming vase in the room breaks' which is much different to 'you shoot your friend in the back'.
3. To provide that moment of tension when the player rolls a 1. It's not just 'oh, I missed' but 'What's going to happen?' Natural 1s in such games often draw the attention of the whole table.
>>
>>54545123
>Dragons, even metallic dragons, are pretty cruel and possibly evil.
The fuck you on about
Metallic dragons were unaligned in 4e and good in every other edition ever, including this one. They can be greedy and proud, but they're not cruel.

>>54545141
Ironically, my setting does, but I'm waiting for them to be balanced and fun.
>>
File: Council of Waterdeep.png (670KB, 651x421px) Image search: [Google]
Council of Waterdeep.png
670KB, 651x421px
>>54543784
>that OP image
I'm going to run a session for the Council of Waterdeep in RoT. Any hints or advice on how to portray 10 different NPCs at the same place, all with different characteristics and priorities?
>>
>>54545072
Maybe I should have put 'better' in stronger quotations there; I know that they certainly aren't perfect, but they seem to pass a populus enough test and are generally viewed to be meeting a niche that isn't *quite* eked out base classes and subclasses.

Just pure curiousity; what's the concern with combat familiars? I stumbled across this while thinking of making a Warlock, and part of the curiousity I've got with it is just the pure ... Giving a bit stronger thematic sense to things, and giving more variability than being an eldritch turrent. I admit I've not delved too much into the familiars, but I could see them as being potentially a useful way to mix up how warlocks handle situations (and give chain more of a reason to exist).
>>
>>54545029
I bet he'll turn out to be a great player. Dudes with weird alternative names always turn out great in my experience.
>>
>>54545123
>Dragons, even metallic dragons, are pretty cruel and possibly evil.
Metallic dragons are not evil under any circumstances
>>
>>54545153
Also note it's generally good to remind players that, say, 'Oh, fighter, your hands are still oiley' or 'Firing into melee is slightly dangerous but it'll probably be fine' or whatever. You're reminding the players there's an extra risk factor that might crop up on a natural 1.

The problem most people have with critical failures is they're usually 'randumb' and the players have no way of anticipating the stupidity that could happen due to them.
>>
>>54545153
Cool idea, but I'm still going to play caster instead.
>>
New DM here, I'm having trouble with designing areas with a divination wizard in the party. In the most recent dungeon, the whole thing was easily scouted out by arcane eye. They also have clairvoyance in their spellbook, and I know there are more "see through walls" or locate spells in higher levels.

Do you guys have any recommendations or suggestions with handling spells like these?
1. I don't want to design things under the assumption that the player is going to use this spell, as it basically would mean the spell is required. I don't want the player to feel like their spell is "useless"
2. I don't want the spell to trivialize a dungeon by letting the players know where everything is. Part of the fun is not knowing what's around the next corner.

I know arcane eye can be stopped by solid walls, things can't go through planes, etc.
>>
>>54545153
Is there anywhere I could find crit fail ideas like these?
>>
>>54545153
I really fucking wish people did that more. I know with my DM, critical failures have so far ended up being:

- Shoot friend in back with arrow
- Skid on your ass into melee instead of coming in swinging
- Characters wild swing accidentally cuts open their herbalist kit, spilling it everywhere. Buy a new one.

Shit is .. Too much for a 1/20 chance. If people want extremes like that. Buuuut, my DM likes to have things happen in a fairly white room situation. Annoyingly.
>>
>>54545207
illusion?
>>
>>54545181
Chain has a good reason to exist - the utility of a tiny, invisible scout, which is pretty damn versatile. In general, warlock pacts give utility rather than combat strength (pact of the blade doesn't count because it doesn't give either).
Other than that, maybe it's just my personal prejudice against player characters having combat pets in general, which is preventing me from weighing their balance appropriately.

>>54545187
I wouldn't say ANY circumstances (unironically depends on setting), but it's certainly very, very rare, even in settings where it's possible.
>>
>>54545127
I see what your saying but how should I make it so he negatively affects a local village enough so that a group of adventurers have to do something about it?

I don't really like how the lair affects it's surroundings .
>>
>>54545207
Arcane Eye and Clairvoyance both create invisible things, but there are a lot of creatures that have truesight.

It would require you houseruling, but if you make the arcane eye count as the user's eye, it'd be a real shame if the arcane eye locked eyes with a Beholder or a Mind Flayer Psion who knew what they were looking at.
>>
>>54545205
And that's fine, but there's still a possibility to fuck up some spells sometimes. None of that wild surge shit, just that if you want to target your fireball at a very specific spot so that 5 enemies are just on the edge of it and one ally is just out of reach of it, you might have to make some sort of check to get it exactly on target. Normally there shouldn't be any such check, however. A wizard may still take skill checks or use spells to make skill checks (such as with a mage hand) or various other things, as well as magical items and effects getting in play where a wizard is more likely to get fucked up by antimagic of some sort.

The point being that while a wizard may choose not to cast firebolt and hide away and not get killed, they're not completely exempt from the possibility of consequences if they ever decide to get out of their safe zone.
>>
>>54545207
The Arcane Eye may not be stated to have any health, but if something can see it, there's nothing to say that they can't grapple it or trap it in a jar or something. After all, it can't go through solid objects.
>>
>>54545239
I'm not really sure, but you don't really need a table.
You just need a circumstance that enables a critical failure (rather than inventing a circumstance such as there's suddenly a pool of grease under you and you slip) and then you can say 'because of X and you rolling a 1, Y happens'
And players should be able to agree that it's fair.

>>54545249
Just wait until you make 3 or 4 attacks a turn. Or even worse, with disadvantage.
>>
>>54545239
I would say that 'good' critical failures are going to be fluid to the environment. Examples given in other threads outside of what was stated here was things like damaging support structures, or to reiterate that post, introducing environmental complications ("your arrow punches a hole through an oil barrel, and it begins to seep across the floor" - now the footing is potentially murky, but you're also fighting on top of a flammable substance. Or maybe the floor has given way, or what ever have you).

It's things that aren't "oh your character suddenly fails at what makes them so special, in a way that's hilarious to *everyone else but you*", and more creating dynamic situations.

>>54545256
Thank you, the commentary is appreciated. I've yet to actually play a Warlock, but I never ended up evaluating chain much (mainly just looking at Tome because ... Tome, or Blade because I am weak to the meme, apparently).

Though I have had a peculiar urge to play a blind/deaf/mute Chain Warlock who uses Voice of the Chain Master to interact with the world. Except would likely need Raven Queen just to make it so that it's not "Oh, hey, your familiar was caught in an AoE, you now have Disadvantage to everything."

Something seems fun about a crippled man on a path for vengeance, having his words squawked out by crows.
>>
File: Tomb-of-Annihilation-Lead-In.jpg (210KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb-of-Annihilation-Lead-In.jpg
210KB, 1600x900px
Do we know any of the plot hooks or recommended classes for Tomb of Annihilation?

We can assume at least a Paladin or Cleric since it involves undead.

We can assume a Wizard since it's full of various hard puzzles.

Furthermore, it plays up the idea of non standard races and diversity in Chult. But are there any bonuses/penalties to playing them?
>>
Reposting to get some more opinions: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJMbkZIU-
>>
>>54545177
Just give feedback like:

>Neverember didn't like that
>Mellandrach wasn't impressed by your failure
>Lady Silverhand appreciates your effort

Don't actually attempt to play 10 different NPCs, the backstory is pointlessly complicated, focus on the leaders.
>>
What happens if an immovable rod in the earth and press the button?
>>
>>54545207
Doors. Passageways with curtains. Dispel magic. Glyph of Warding. Truesight.
>>
>>54545360
>Something seems fun about a crippled man on a path for vengeance, having his words squawked out by crows.
Idea stole, thanks.
>>
>>54545468
It comes undone.

So if you're hanging off of it and press the button you fall along with the rod.
>>
>>54545207
Traps are hard to spot via Divination, them knowing the layout may lead them to false confidence and forget that traps are a thing.

Also doors, Arcane eyes can't go through doors or similar obstacles they need a gap to go through.

Illusions in general, or just creatures that would naturally be hidden while sitting around in the room such as spiders or snakes, or creatures that appear as other objects, such as a roper, animated statues, oozes, animated plants or even the classic corpses that rise as zombies when disturbed.

Creatures blessed with non-detection do not show up to divination spells, so maybe that room that appeared to have three bandits in, actually has three bandits and two bandit-mages in.

Also, creatures with the ability to see invisible things will be able to notice the arcane eye. Maybe one of the bandit leaders has a lantern of revealing mounted on the wall burning with a blue flame, allowing one of the guards to go "Eer boss there is a little floating eye here, what do I do?" "I don't know, put a bucket on it for now."

Of course, don't always shut down the Arcane Eye. It's a pretty high spell slot to invest into scouting so having it shut down every time will just frustrate them, a player in our group used a Shadow sorcerer who frequently used the darkness spell to take cover in while shooting cantrips or blind enemy archers. Of course soon every encounter either had a few blind-sense enemy, or an enemy caster to dispell magic. Another player had a net-fighter who would disable high-value targets instead of dishing out flat damage, but soon enough every encounter had an extra pair of goblins who seemed to be on exclusive "Net-slashing" duty to defend their boss, even fights that seemed odd to have a pair of lackeys around for.

>>54545153
Our game is just Nat1 is a slight fumble, you lose your reaction and bonus action until your next turn, giving enemies a chance to maneuver around you freely, and maybe costing you an attack.
>>
>>54545494
Ok but with how fast the earth is spinning how does a tiny hut work if its immovable.
>>
>>54544902
I've played one. Hypnotic Gaze is seriously the most fun at-will ability you will ever have, I used it all the time outside of combat.
>>
>>54545413
On a purely thematic note, I frown at the fact the *sadist* derives cruelty from *masochism*.

Outside of that:

>Roll 1 hit die to get Cruelty points
Are you *spending* the hit die? I feel like that should be explicit in the words.

>You can spend these points to fuel various skills. You start knowning three such features: Hamstring, Butcher's Brand, and Bloodwalk. You gain more features as you gain levels in this subclass.

I was confused for a moment, since wording made me expect it would be like Battlemaster where you have X number of abilities to choose form, but can only select a small number of them, gaining a greater amount as you gain in levels. You're not selecting features here, so that kind of feels superfluous - you can likely just say "you can spend these to fuel your abilities", basically, without detailing "for these three maneuvers which you immediately see after this and are explicitly given to you at that level, and following levels.

>You can spend 1 Cruelty point to mark target enemy as a bonus action for 1 minute.

Wording seems weird here again.

"As a bonus action, you can spend 1 Cruelty Point to mark an enemy for one minute"

Bloodhound is neat. I almost would prefer to see it as a bonus to track an enemy YOU have wounded, just to make it more personal to the Sadist.

Stepping out though, so will check the last bit later. I personally feel like the capstone for Sadist seems a bit strong.
>>
>>54545564
The temptation to make a flamboyant homosexual wizard with hypnotic gays...
>>
>>54545544
This, also information can sometimes be a bad thing. Our diviner found a barricaded room with some pale looking figures laying on the floor around a trough with crusted layer of dry blood. The figures on the floor were clearly vampires.

So before we entered, we had a bunch of buff spells ready, protection from undead cast, holy water prepared, we drank potions to top up health before we took them on, knowing vampire spawn to be tough and there were at least five of them in there.

We open it up and.. They are long dead, corpses starved and withered because there is no visible difference between dead and undead but resting via scrying orb. So we wasted some resources, time and effort.
>>
What's the general consensus on mage slayer? Any particular good or fun combos with it?
>>
>>54545476
By all means, take it. Personally I was planning to make the character as a variant human Haunted One starting with Observant, because that means you (and by extension, your familiars, who you can see through at any distance, and one of which is going to be a Imp shape shifted to a crow - or ideally just 'it's a crow that can use imp statblocks, because thematics' - means it can turn invisible) can read lips.

And you get an ungodly Perception score now because of how Raven Queen crow works. Never was quite the intention (wanted more to have a GOO, and play up the creepy of having a raven cough up an eyeball to peer around while you're looking through it), but if your character is legitimately blind without its familiars, you're going to have a bad time, and raven queen lets you bypass that by making it 'part of you'.
>>
>>54545635
Mage Slayer is great for grapplers.
>>
>>54545413
The gladiator's thing where it has a creature drop something seems really out of place and the unarmed d6 seems like its stepping on monks.

The Beast Knight seems broken all to hell
>Mark of Feather no opportunity attacks if land a hit
This is half a feat.

The Sadist seems very underwhelming while also having a weirdly op action
>Flayer's brand The first attack made against a marked target has advantage
>>
File: 6546513.png (264KB, 848x556px) Image search: [Google]
6546513.png
264KB, 848x556px
Which one?
>>
>>54545660
Left.
>>
>>54545660
Does anybody actually do right?
>>
>>54545660
The right 100%. Moe important number gets the bigger box
>>
>>54545660
Don't care. I have players doing both.
Left is more traditional, which is comfortable for people who have played for decades.
Right is more functional, because >>54545695.
But the difference is so minimal that it really shouldn't matter.
>>
I don't get Barbarogues, how many levels of each class should they have and, if they use Strength, how the fuck do they get decent armor?
>>
>>54545494
>>54545547
Immovable Rod and Tiny Hut are immobile relative to the area around it. If the planet spins, the rod spins with it.
>>
>>54545547
The whole thing is that it moves along with the ground its on. Its not immobile in the aspect that it's glued to that one spot.
>>
>>54545691
I do. Never made sense to me why people do left when the modifier is so much more important.
>>
>>54545719
Barb 2/Rogue x
Barb 5/Rogue x
Rogue 4/Barb x
They get decent AC by wearing medium armor.
>>
>>54544779
I know every character I'd ever play would roll with a brace of pistols the second I could afford them. not just because it looks awesome, but because 1d10 at those ranges means I'm always a threat no matter if I'm out of spells or if the enemy is flying. I can always reach out and touch it with some legitimate punch.
>>
>>54545660
Right, as >>54545695 pointed out the more important number gets the bigger box. Roll20 does it too
>>
File: Evolving Magic Items.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Evolving Magic Items.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
I added 3 new items. Any feedback would be appreciated.
>>
Does anyone ever use the dc 30?

I can't ever imagine how a pc could accomplish a task like that?

Also would they succeed if they got a nat 20?
>>
>>54545336
That's not how spell work in lore brah.
>>
>>54545828
>Also would they succeed if they got a nat 20?
No.
Nat 20's are auto hits on ATTACK rolls only same as nat 1s
>>
So I'm getting rid of backgrounds for my next campaign. Instead, players will get proficiency in any combination of 5 skills, tools or languages (I got 10 custom languages for this setting and I plan on making them relevant as often as possible). The only rule is that they're not allowed to spend more than 3 points in the same category.
Does this seem fair?
>>
>>54545828
natural 1 and natural 20 doesn't affect skill check. You don't get 5% chance to be a god at every single thing you do.
>>
>>54545828
>I can't ever imagine how a pc could accomplish a task like that?
Are you stupid? You can do it with a roll of 19 as early as level 5. A Bard or a Rogue with Expertise in a skill and a 20 in the relevant ability score will have a +11 to those checks.
>>
>>54545849
>auto hits on ATTACK rolls
even this is bullshit. What if the enemy behind an invisible, indestructible barrier?
>>
>>54545828
Expertise while being at a high level makes dc 30 not too difficult. +5 in a stat and +6 from proficiency bonus and guidance or bardic inspiration also has a decent chance of clearing 30
>>
>>54545660

Prefer right
>>
>>54545886
Then you can't even attack them in the first place you moron
>>
>>54545571
> Hit die
You right, I'll make that part clearer.

> skills
I modeled the wording / formatted it almost exactly like Ki Points > Flurry of Blows, etc.

> Bloodhound
I thought about that, but then it makes it even MORE situational than it already is.

> capstone
Any suggestions for the same theme? Maybe picking a limited number of targets? Less on a successful save?

>>54545652
> disarming
Hmmm, still playing around with ideas for "Arena Fighter" any suggestions?

> unarmed
It doesn't scale, and I think monk has the same damage at that level. I'll have to check again.

> Beast knight
What makes it broken?

> opportunity attack
Similar to the class feature of Swashbuckler, no?

> Sadist
Weirdly OP? How so
>>
>>54544786
Resilient con or dex for being hard to kill
Sentinel and shield master for control
>>
>>54545872
I don't usually play with bards or rogues since the people I play with tend to see them as a joke class
>>
>>54545837

Give up, there's no hope for botchfags. Once someone's convinced themselves they like the taste of shit you'll never argue them out of it.
>>
>>54545898
what if you have to mantain the barrier in secret until someone hits it?
>>
>>54545914
>Bards
>objectively one of the best classes in the game
>joke class
Are your players autistic?
>>
>>54545886
Then you shouldn't be rolling at all. Attack rolls hit on a nat 20, and if a nat 20 shouldn't hit, there shouldn't be an attack roll.
Mind you, I have a similar philosophy on skill checks - if it can't succeed on a 20, rolling is probably a waste of time. Unless you explicitly don't want the players to know a 20 fails. But then you still have to deal with 20 failing and them being surprised.

>>54545927
>Player: I attack the dude
>Player: (reaches for dice)
>DM: ok, you attack but your weapon clangs on an invisible wall
Player: (puts down dice)

>>54545914
You play with idiots.
>>
>>54544779
Firebolt is at will, no reload and hits with 1d10
>>
>>54545933
Look, I know autism is alive and well in this hobby and in this board, but an autist would be able to recognize a good class. The insult makes no sense. The players are morons.

>>54545947
Some people don't have a level of wizard and don't want to take magic initiate. I know, it's hard to believe.
>>
>>54545837
Well it's how most DMs run it. I've never seen a DM that says 'Yeah, the spell works exactly as RAW and never, ever fails given the right circumstances'
>>
>>54545958
>Some people don't have a level of wizard and don't want to take magic initiate
not him, but that's not the point. the point is that 1d10 at will ranged damage isn't as farfetched as some people think.
>>
>>54545959
> most
confirmation bias much? "most" in your circle mean nothing. The mistake probably came from that one guy who pretend he know shit and circulate around the whole group anyway.

And there were enough fluff text in the older edition explaining how a blind wizard can accurately shoot fireball into the area that he want.
>>
>>54546033
Then why even bring spells into it? The heavy crossbow does the same thing
>>
Question:
The bard in my group is uncertain on what his modifiers are on a performance check. He has proficiency in the performance skill, and is also proficient with the Violin. When he tried to play a song with his violin as the instrument and the DM called for a performance check, he wasn't sure whether he was allowed to add his proficiency twice or only once.

The table had a short discussion about this. I said you probably only add proficiency once, but it shouldn't matter too much since performance is a pretty niche skill in the first place. Another player said we should let him add proficiency twice.

The DM interjected by saying the DC probably wasn't high enough for it to make a significant difference, but he'd have a think about it afterwards.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54546051
because no reload
>>
>>54546033
But muh Eldritch Blast
>>
File: money.jpg (229KB, 1024x660px) Image search: [Google]
money.jpg
229KB, 1024x660px
To those who bought D&D books, do you have buyer's remorse? Do you have regrets over spending too much on fluff to role-play? I know that we have(or had) a treasure trove here but does having the physical book help? I'm trying to be smart with my budget and only buy things I can afford. I even downloaded the free pdfs from WotC but it just doesn't seem like enough.
>>
>>54546068
I think that if you're doing a performance with an instrument you are proficient in, you add the performance modifier (which may include proficiency) and the extra proficiency from the instrument.

It's the same with thieves tools right?
>>
>>54546068
You only add one source of proficiency to any check.
>>
>>54546102
> you add the performance modifier (which may include proficiency) and the extra proficiency from the instrument.
Wrong.
>It's the same with thieves tools right?
What do you mean by this? Thieves' Tools checks add your Dexterity modifier and your Thieves' Tools proficiency. If your DM is also adding proficiency in Sleight of Hand, he's doing it wrong.
>>
>>54546097
I don't like electronics at my tables so I only use the physical copies of the books to run the game.

I've found all 3 main books extremely useful, and if you wait for a good deal on amazon you can get them for less than 75$ so it's not that expensive.
>>
>>54546097
It's a hobby
I've l literally just spent about a hundred bucks on 2e books
I've literally never played 2e
>>
>>54546068
Performance is how well can you delight others. You can be totally bad at violin but turn it into a comedy.
>>
>>54546122
>Wrong.
We're talking about opinions on how to run the check, how can I be wrong?

What's the point in being able to be proficient in an instrument if 99% of the time the checks with it are performance which you probably are already proficient in, unless you can add it again.
>>
>>54546097
I like having physical books I an hold, and so far I haven't regretted any of my 5e purchases.

Order the books off of Amazon, they tend to be cheaper, even if new - like, $34 instead of $50 at the store.
>>
>>54546068
I think this was an oversight by the developers and it shouldn't hurt to double the proficiency bonus if you're just playing an instrument.
>>
>>54546143
>We're talking about opinions on how to run the check, how can I be wrong?
Because this isn't even an opinion? It's just how the game works.
>>
>>54546041
>a blind wizard can accurately shoot fireball into the area that he want
That's not even RAW. Target is a point you can see.
>>
File: dm rules.png (64KB, 627x87px) Image search: [Google]
dm rules.png
64KB, 627x87px
>>54546152
>>
>>54546201
Ok? You can houserule it to something else, but that is completely irrelevant to a discussion of the rules. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to discuss ANYTHING because a DM is able to change it
>>
>>54545900
>disarming
Instead I would maybe remove that and instead have him have a reverse pact tactics that he can activate for his turn and have him be able to use it amount of times equal to his cha mod and refresh on a long rest

>unarmed
I'm all for having it be for unconventional weapons, but not for unarmed

>Beast Knight
>Predator- Pact Tactics
giving advantage when a pc already has advantage (not mechanics wise) with numbers seems like it could get out of hand. Maybe switch the major and minor.
>Chitin
Gaining blindsight is a bit much instead maybe play of the poison element a bit more.
>Feather
Its UA so I wouldn't allow but sure I guess then
>Herd
Major I would also give advantage for resisting getting shoved

Overall for Beast Knight it seems like a mixed bag some marks are clearly better while others are useless or a bit top heavy i.e. simian

>Sadist

This guy doesn't do much and being able to gain cruelty so easily seems like you'll just have endless points with nothing to use it on but the brand. I would look at darkest dungeon's sadist guy for inspiration.
>>
File: Scholar.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scholar.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
Okay, so about a week or two ago I posted a Scholar class that was supposed to be a low-magic wizard, ripped almost directly from the Adventures in Middle-Earth 5e RPG. However...'tis not very good on its own, since mostly it just consists of standing around being a smarmy asshole know-it-all. More notably, it had nothing to do in combat.

So this is my take 2 of making a low-magic wizard class. I've gone for less Lord of the Rings and more Conan's Hyborea. Rather notably the LotR Scholar is actually basically unchanged, I just gave it spells.

BUT HERE'S THE TWIST...this class doesn't get spell-slots at all, none of its spells have levels, and there's technically no limit to the number of spells it can cast in a day.

BUT if it casts more spells than its proficiency bonus between rests (short or long), then it needs to start making Constitution saving throws, or else it gains a level of exhaustion. The Con save DC is equal to its own spell save DC. AS WELL, if it rolls a 1 on its Con save, it instead basically draws from a Deck of Many Things that is stacked with only bad cards.

Thus, there's an awful lot of risk associated with casting more spells than your spellcasting limit. Magic thrives on success, but punishes failure, after all.

Additionally, none of its spells are from the PHB. Instead, all of them have been adapted from the d20 Conan RPG for 3rd Edition. As well, none of its spells are particularly powerful. No reality-warping here.

The thing is...I'm not sure if it's overpowered, underpowered, or somehow both at the same time. So I could use some help, /tg/.
>>
>>54545610
That was pretty much my Enchanter in a nut shell. The most stereotypical gay wizard around.

Bright rainbow robes, refused to be dirty, frequently used Suggestion to make farmer's sons do things they'd regret... If you have the right kind of group for a character like that to be considered funny, then it's awesome fun.
>>
I'm a little fuzzy on the ruling for stacking spells.

If two Rangers cast hunters mark on the same target is it affected by both or can it only be under the effects of one?
>>
>>54546283
Hunter's Mark only increases the damage that the caster deals to the target, so yes, multiple casters can target the same creature with Hunter's Mark.
>>
>>54545399
bump
>>
>>54546283
Because they each only boost the damage of a single creature it can stack, however if it was something that boosted everyone who attacked it then it couldn't.
>>
>>54546307
Okay, how about Booming Blade? One caster cast it on their turn and another on their turn against the same target. Do they sack?
>>
>>54546329
That one... No I think. The initial damage would happen the same, but the damage the target takes from moving would only trigger once.
>>
>>54546329
I'd say not, because when the second BB hits, the secondary effect of the spell is already in place around the target.
>>
>>54546041
If even an archer can miss their target given the right conditions, a wizard can fuck up too.

These aren't ordinary conditions such as 'it's a little bit windy', these are conditions such as 'there is a magical wind roaring throughout this room that blows all manner of things across, you may require an int/dex skill check in order to adjust to the conditions and fire it according to the blowing wind' with a 1 in that case likely causing it to hit much further downwind or upwind than you'd hope.

There's nothing unreasonable there. If you don't like it, don't cast fireball and save your spell slot for when you're in a room that isn't filled with magical wind.

No DM I know would say 'Actually yeah since you're a wizard you succeed automatically with flying colours because you picked the 'DM isn't allowed to mess with me!' route.'
>>
What is the best way to build a STR Valor bard? I'm going to make a Pal2/ValorX who uses powerful speeches and commands to cast spells. Should I top out at 16 CHA and pump STR? Warcaster to keep the buffs going?
>>
>>54546363
>>54546041
Oh, also, I guess the wind example is a bit different from edges-of-AoE because AoE does have a strictly defined set of squares, though the fireball target doesn't have a very specific requirement for where you fire it. You could fire the fireball within an inch of a particular square if you'd like. Sometimes it becomes too fuckey to do all that AoE calculation at the table and the DM would be absolutely right to say 'No, you can't hit both of these because this would take longer than 5 minutes to accurately precisely calculate and we're trying to have a tense fight here'
So all the more power to you if the DM instead says 'Yeah, you can hit both, but make a skill check to get it exactly right so that it hits both or else you might only hit one'
A natural 1 in that case would just hit only one instead of two enemies unless there's a teammate right on the very edge.

You also get situations such as trying to fire a fireball through a keyhole.
>>
>>54546068
They are different things. You can make a Charisma (Performance) check, a Charisma (Violin) check, or even a Dexterity (Violin) check. Performance is the general skill of how well you can entertain others. Cha or Dex (Violin) is how well you can actually play the violin, without regards to being entertaining.
>>
>>54546454
You can even make a Dexterity (Performance) check!
>>
>>54546383
Why even go Valor Bard? Paladin Multiclass provides everything Valor Bard can give. Take Lore and be superior.
>>
>>54546143
>What's the point in being able to be proficient in an instrument
If you're proficient with an instrument, it means you can play it well. If you're not proficient, you don't know how to play it.

Also this: >>54546454
>>
Best spells to steal as lore bard?
>>
>>54546537
Bigby's Hand, Haste/Swift Quiver, Wish
>>
>>54546493
>>54546493
>Why even [do something because it's an interesting character concept to the player creating the character]? Take [munchkin build that considers nothing but mathematics] and [be a min-maxer].
>>
>>54546223
>Otherwise we wouldn't be able to discuss ANYTHING because a DM is able to change it
We already assume a DM has changed all the rules when we discuss shit here because every time someone talks about builds it's inexplicably rolled stats with three 18s, four feats by level 4, and violating multiclassing requirements.
>>
File: dndsprites.png (148KB, 688x826px) Image search: [Google]
dndsprites.png
148KB, 688x826px
This argument is gay.

Assemble your five man party.
>>
>>54546537
banish, haste, aura of vitality if you're pushed that route, wish.
>>
>>54546650
>Secret Dragon Bitch

So is he secretly a dragon's bitch, or secretly a dragon who is a bitch?
>>
>>54546675
The latter. Also a woman.
>>
>>54546650
>Giant
>image is clearly a dragonborn
>>
File: harshnag.jpg (35KB, 320x542px) Image search: [Google]
harshnag.jpg
35KB, 320x542px
>>54546683
>>
>>54546693
CLEARLY A DRAGONBORN
>>
Any good newbie GM cheatsheets for rules?
>>
>>54546682
Then my choices are...

>Human wizard Actually a female dragon
>Human knight
>Kenku assassin
>Half-elf cleric
>Halfling bard

>>54546683
That's a hat, dude.
>>
>>54546650
Human fighter human fighter dwarf fighter dwarven fighter giant fighter
>>
>>54546493
You'd have to go 5 levels pally to get extra attack. Valor gives extra attack and more smite spell slots and more spells
>>
>>54546650
Dwarven Barbarian
Human Knight
Dwarven Shadow
Loli Sorceress
Lee Van Cleef
>>
>>54546728
>That's a hat, dude.
See >>54546700
>>
>>54546224
> Arena fighter
Made some changes taken from the Gladiator monster stat block in the MM

> Beast Knight
Kept most things, but added the Herd affect, and changed the Simian thing. The idea is that literally all of the abilities granted are taken from Monster Features. Based on Gau from FF6 or Cheetah (the Wonder Woman villain)

> Sadist
Changed Flayer's Brand to make it not so powerful.
I'd like to make it more like Maneuvers or Way of the Elements for monk, I'm just having trouble coming up with a good variety of viable and thematic options.

Based on Ramsay Bolton (GoT) / The Butcher (Heroes of the Storm abilities ( I know he's from Diablo))
>>
>>54546751
I sense there's a joke I'm not getting.
>>
File: Foot Knights front side.jpg (184KB, 1024x524px) Image search: [Google]
Foot Knights front side.jpg
184KB, 1024x524px
>>54546740
I like the way you fight
>>
>>54545809
Bump for feedback.
>>
Which rogue subclass relies on charisma the most?
>>
>>54546984
Swashbuckler
>>
>>54545759
The benefit to Rogue 4/Barb X is just getting the ASI, right?
>>
>>54547054
Yes, but I should have said rogue 5/barb x - you want uncanny dodge.
Honestly, though, it's not the best option compared to the others.
>>
>>54546650
Brown elf rogue x5 because muh dick
>>
File: 1466712733126.png (781KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466712733126.png
781KB, 1280x720px
I'm getting rid of backgrounds for my next campaign. Instead, players will get proficiency in any combination of 5 skills, tools or languages (I got 10 custom languages for this setting and I plan on making them relevant as often as possible). The only rule is that they're not allowed to spend more than 3 points in the same category.
Does this seem fair?
pls respond
>>
Is college of the swords okay?
>>
>>54547141
Sounds cool. Only problem could be maybe a half-elf rogue or whatever getting proficiency in 7 skills, but it's not like that's too crazy.

I might actually steal this idea desu
>>
>>54547163
Valor provides more for the party, but yes.
>>
>>54547163
It's kinda ass, a lot of it is disingenuous.
>>
>>54546168
Not for fireball. Anon risks posting from memory.
>>
>>54547141
As long as you were aware that backgrounds could be changed to grant whatever fucking proficiency you wanted and you're not just trying to solve something that wasn't a problem to begin with.
>>
>>54547163
I don't see any purpose for swords, still trying to find an excuse to run a glamour something with maybe some pally levels
>>
File: trinity.png (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
trinity.png
1MB, 960x540px
>tfw trawling through old spaghetti western soundtracks for BGM for your game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KwrQw1QwvA
>>
Would it be fair to play an undying light warlock like someone who's being constantly drip-fed caffeine and/or lightly tazed whenever they get tired?
>>
>>54547255
I don't understand what you mean by "fair" in this context
>>
>>54545660
Right unless I specifically want my sheet to look old school
>>
>>54546251
Those magical mishaps are kind of extreme. Without checking I'm guessing you took them from the deck of many things' "fuck you" list. Like half of those are worse than just instantly dying in terms of forcing character retirement. I would just say you can't cast past a certain point or tone them down a little
>>
You guys know about the Scorsville units? If you're immune to fire does that also mean you're immune to the spicy food?
>>
What would be more entertaining to play, Knockoff Belmont or Knockoff Char/Camus?
>>
>>54547240
you have good taste
>>
>>54547288
No since spicy food hurts because it's acidic, not because it's a combustion in your mouth.
>>
>>54547288
No, that's retarded. Also it's Scoville units
>>
>>54547288
No. You would be immune to burning 151 proof Rum though.
>>
>>54547326
neurotoxins.
>>
>>54547262
I'm asking if it's a fair justification of personality/character dictated solely by mechanics. Basically, would you say that a person tapping into the raw energy from the positive plane would make them act like that, not considering any other factors?

>>54547288
Spicy pepper "heat" isn't actually generating heat, it's just activating the parts of the nervous center that make you think it's generating heat. So anything with those heat receptors would probably still feel uncomfortable, especially since it would be affecting the mouth, a rather delicate place even for creatures with heat resistance
>>
>>54547326
Capsaicin isn't an acid, it binds to pain receptors.
>>
>>54547288
>>54547336
Not being called Scorchville units.
>>
>>54546548
The non-munchkin build is to just go pure valor bard and maybe pick up a paladin spell. Multiclassing poorly isn't some noble pursuit because you like the names of the subclasses
>>
For two weapon fighting, I get that you don't add any positive modifiers to the second weapon damage roll, but do you add any positive modifiers to the actual attack roll?
>>
>>54547326
>spicy food hurts because it's acidic
That's not how it works at all.
Not only is capsaicin less acidic than shit you eat all the time (lemon juice, soda, tomatoes, etc.) with no problems, but foods that literally dissolve your flesh while you enjoy them (pineapples) have no pain associated with their consumption.
>>
>>54547364
>I'm asking if it's a fair justification of personality/character dictated solely by mechanics.
I guess I just don't see why you need to justify a character trait with mechanics
>>
This might not be the thread for it, but it was a D&D story I'm pretty sure so this is the best I got. Does anybody have that greentext on hand about this dude who made a lighting wizard or something like that, whose DM apparently hated the idea, and spent the entire campaign trying to kill him? I know it ended with the boat the wizard on being destroyed due to "all of his lighting magic summoning a storm" or something, only for the palyer himself to be fine since he stacked up on gear that resisted it.
>>
>>54547287
>Without checking I'm guessing you took them from the deck of many things' "fuck you" list.

...that's...exactly where I took them from, and said as much. In any event, the idea of magic being potentially very dangerous is kind of the point.
>>
>>54547409
story/gameplay cohesion is my fetish
>>
>>54547398
Yes.
>>
>>54547366
>>54547400
Shit this is way more fascinating than what I thought. Thanks for correcting me.
>>
>>54547499
I love it when people love learning shit
Learning shit is fucking awesome
>>
>>54547528
>>54547499
And all of that was brought about by a dumbass question.
>>
File: 1500509349578.jpg (110KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1500509349578.jpg
110KB, 512x384px
>>54547400
>but foods that literally dissolve your flesh while you enjoy them (pineapples)
>>
>>54547163
It's basically a Valor Bard who focuses on buffing themselves rather then others.

If your group are dickheads who will treat you bad as a buffbot, or you already have a focused support character, then I'd take it over Valor. Just make sure you and your group know how it's abilities ACTUALLY work, a lot of people get confused.
>>
File: Hairy-Goblin.jpg (73KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hairy-Goblin.jpg
73KB, 1920x800px
Get comfy, this has potential to be lengthy.

I'm a fairly new DM that has done several oneshots and currently am running a Phandelver campaign for 4 players. They are currently in act 3. I've tried spicing things up by having the players encounter familiar NPC's from their previous oneshots while traveling the Triboar Trail to accommodate the role players, but I have one player who is "that guy" who went and autistically studied the MM and is now going through Volo's guide to actively spoil himself on everything. I tried to dissuade him in doing so because it has potential to be detrimental to the collective experience if he tried to metagame other player's actions. I told him to keep to himself regarding spoilers info and to do his best acting as his character would. Though I still want to make an effort to retain some sense of mystery for him.

My counter measure for that was to have the circus troupe they met on their travels get raided and killed by the Wyvern Tor Orcs while the players were at Agatha's Lair. They encountered some bodies in the Conyberry Ruins, followed tracks south and ended up at the Old Owl Ruins. They went off the path to check it out and encountered the reanimated bodies of several of the circus folk. I had the zombieacrobat use uncanny dodge and twice a zombie's movement, had the zombie strongman have more hp, ac, 20 str, and a bias towards grappling, and the zombie obese songstress have the highest hp, more ac, and explosion on death.

This seemed to work out nicely and I had a lot of fun with zombie strongman who grappled the monk ("that" guy) and would thrust him in the party wizard's Flaming Sphere, but I am at a loss on how to spice up their eventual encounter with the orcs. I decided that the orcs had held the one orc circus performer captive, and gave him to their ogre who thinks of him as a play thing to give the players someone to rescue. Would love any ideas to give a go in the sake of making their adventure more memorable.
>>
>>54547636
Unlike peppers, pineapples ARE full of acid. Multiple kinds, even.

>>54547579
Trolls create teachable moments. We Montessori and shit up in here.
>>
>>54547775
Not a troll, more legitimately curious.
>>
>>54547801
If >>54547288 was an honest question, my bad. I'm more focused on identifying and taking advantage of teachable moments than explaining them.
>>
>>54547760
Make the Orcs have their cave done up like a mockery of a castle.

They found a bunch of prop knight armour and fancy clothes and now the chief thinks of himself as a king. He sits on a throne in the cave and all the other Orcs are dressed like nobles and knights trying to act fancy.

The Ogre is wearing an entire tent that has bright colours on it and has started learning juggling from the performer it captured. Now in combat it runs around throwing anything it can get it's hands on at the players, from rocks to the orcs.

When the party first arrives they're invited to tea with the Orc king and he tries being polite and nice, asking for them to help work things out between his people and the town. If the players decide to help then that's another side quest you could stick in.
>>
>>54547760
Have the orcs lead by someone who read some book about different army tactics and units and REALLY wanted to try them all out at once. So, every orc is outfitted as a completely different type of battlefield soldier, and every turn or two they try to do a different type of tactical maneuver
>>
How do I play a Necromancer more focused more on spirits then raising corpses?

I was thinking about a Death Theurge but the religious fluff doesn't really fit the character, guess I could refluff it but I'd rather not.

Does normal Necromancer have enough to do other then Animate Dead? What about Warlocks, Sorcerers, Bards and Druids?
>>
>>54547829
Oh my word, this is incredible! Thanks for the input! It'll fit nicely since the orcs have all of the flamboyant stuff they stole from the traveling circus in the first place. I've been meaning to start learning how to draw to illustrate memorable events for my players, and encountering the tent-wearing ogre sounds like prime material.
>>
>>54547874
What's your goal? Necromancers RAISE THE DEAD. Typically UNDEAD
>>
>>54546767
Likely useless, but since you're thinking about how to make thematic ties with the sadist, if I was to design a class with that name from the ground up I think I would try to incentivize them for making multiple hits to the same target - maybe some kind of stacking benefit as long as they are attacking the same dude.

Then some way to expend it if the dude hits them back.

Doubt it would be any use, and I'm on mobile right now, but just possible other thoughts on how to approach the sadist theme.
>>
>>54547917
The necromancy school doesn't only consist of the spell Animate Dead you know
>>
>>54547917
I'm looking at more of the things Necromancy has traditionally had associated with it like fear, health draining, destroying life force, speaking with the dead and so forth.

Not to say I would never use Animate Dead, but I'd use it very rarely because the setting doesn't exactly react well to a man with a squad of skeletons walking around. Shame there's no spells to let Necromancers make things like Shadows or Specters.
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
Does anyone else have a problem with languages?

>You see a group of Giants clashing with a mighty Dragon
>The ground shakes like an earthquake with each mighty blow as these two Gigantic monstrosities vie for dominance
>You know its best to keep well out their way
>Eventually the Giants chase off the Dragon as it flies away with one of their axes still embedded in their size
>The Dragon roars a curse in its primordial tongue and the Giants start singing a battle Hymn
>It sounds like the very clashing of tectonic plates to your untrained ears
>AKSHULLY I TOOK BOTH DRACONIC AND GIANT AS A LANGUAGE BECAUSE I'M ALLOWED 12 AS A HERMIT

It just really breaks my versimillitude when every level 1 player speaks forgotten and ancient tongues.

Realistically every nigga shouldn't be able to speak Dwarvish or Elvish either, the common tongue is common for a reason.
>>
>>54547975
>It just really breaks my versimillitude when every level 1 player speaks forgotten and ancient tongues.
Then restrict them, the PHB specifically says they're exotic languages and you need DM permission to learn them in chargen
>>
>>54547975
Exotic languages require DM permission, if you don't want them to be talking like Dragons at level 1 then you can simply tell them no exotic languages.
>>
>>54544947
Nuclear Druid
>>
>>54547975
Going off hand here, but doesn't Draconic qualify as an Exotic language, and require DM approval to understand?

Though, yeah, it's wonky. I'm playing a v. Human Barbarian Outlander in my current campaign, and while being incredibly antisocial, he's supposed to know like four languages off handily.

Which would be fine if there was a greater degree of languages to pick from, but eventually you are kind of required to dip into some more fantastical languages.
>>
>>54547991
>>54548004
I do senpai. But some specific campaigns require languages to run smoothly.

Its more that the option is there and players expect it.
>>
>>54548015
>But some specific campaigns require languages to run smoothly.
That is true, I'm running sunless citadel and the party would have missed so much shit if they didn't know draconic.

There needs to be more normal languages to pick from
>>
File: 1346304490736.jpg (75KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1346304490736.jpg
75KB, 720x960px
>>54548014
>So could you give me a few sentences about how your character learned those languages
>Errr..I like to rage and I hate everyone
>Ah master Dwarf how are you let me converse in your native tongue
>>
>>54548031
Maybe there needs to be less languages available to backgrounds.

Make race choice more important. Want to speak Elvish? Better have an Elf etc.
>>
>>54548015
>Its more that the option is there and players expect it.
Then make it clear that they shouldn't.

It's not hard to say
>Yo guys, for the game I want to keep exotic languages exotic. So unless you get it from a race or class you can only take non-exotic languages

As for some campaigns needing it, either change it or leave it. Bitches might actually consider a spell like Comprehend Languages useful now.

Also it really depends on the setting, in a place where Kobolds, Lizardfolk and etc. all speak Draconic I'm sure some people know how to speak it.
>>
>>54548051
>Make race choice more important. Want to speak Elvish? Better have an Elf etc
This is also a good option. Like if I go wizard with a sage background I practically know every single language you'll ever run into in a campaign, and still have some left over.

Languages are just too easy to learn
>>
>>54548051
there's only so many langauges and everyone gets a bunch, sounds like the whole system is shit
>>
>>54548066
>Like if I go wizard with a sage background
Why the fuck do you need to be a Wizard? Only Rangers and certain Sorcerers get languages from their class.
>>
>>54548078
Maybe I'm remembering something wrong then, I don't have my phb on me at the moment

I just remember my wizard has known every single language we've encountered in the campaign we're in because he's got so many of them
>>
What should I do when a player kills the mood?
One guy got unreasonably salty because his character was getting fucked and he was super obvious about it, bringing the game down. I wanted to continue the encounter as I planned it, but the other players were picking up on the mood and were clearly trying to rush it as well. I didn't see any point in keeping everyone there later if they couldn't fucking deal with him being a sourpuss, so I basically had to cut the requirements to finish it down dramatically. All the challenge that was supposed to be there got ruined because of this.

Thing is, he is our Forever DM we play Pathfinder with and half the reason we are playing is so he can be a player. He runs it in at store(part of the store's events, so it's not leaving) so when the store's closing instead of just pausing the encounter he'll usually have us automatically succeed at everything and win, then tells us about the other shit that was to show up that didn't. Other half of why I'm doing this and at my house is so we can play encounters that don't end this way. In the end he still ended up making the final battle of the night suck.
>>
>>54548051
>Want to speak Elvish? Better have an Elf etc.

I'm American of Irish ancestry, but I can muddle my way through written and spoken Spanish due to simple osmosis, despite not having a drop of Hispanic blood in my body.

There are also plenty of language options in the Realms.
>>
>>54548088
The max you can have without the linguist feat as a Wizard is 5 if you're a Half-Elf.
>>
This is a really stupid question, I know.
How many spells do my players learn each level? They're a cleric, a druid & a warlock.
>>
File: 1500698795406.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
1500698795406.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>54548131
>>
>>54548037
There's a reason that I left the languages blank, and talked to the GM about if there was anything that would qualify as a sub-racial language in his world.

I ended up with a bunch of languages, but outside of the Common tongue, it's tribal dialects and what not. It works far better for me, and it gave him some plot points to use when we figured out ways that the character had learned these other tribes tongues.

Felt far better than "My angry unwashed raider is fluent in four races languages."

Though when you describe it that way, I have this sudden urge to fluff it as "My Barbarian wanted to insult them in their mother tongue. After the first few opponents laughed when his insults were little more than word soup, he got very into making sure he knew what the hell he was saying."

> Time to have a Polygot Barbarian that basically just curses in every god damned language he can.
>>
File: 1486660552327.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1486660552327.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54548131
>>
>>54548131
Read the class table of the relevant player
>>
File: Forgotten.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Forgotten.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
What's a helpful but not too strong fog/mist related ability I could give to a homebrew race? Pic related, race is shown materializing out of the fog, they are mechanically stealth based. I just don't want it to be too powerful.
>>
>>54547975
Languages are kind of just an annoying story element to deal with in general. It's really just a matter of having them, not having them, or being high enough level where you have some sort of magic that makes it irrelevant like with a wizard or monk. There's a reason most people just go the "fuck it, we're all speaking common" route. There's probably some games where delving into character's mastery of a language is worth exploring, but I would probably reserve it for games that are less about fantasy and killing dragons.
That said unless someone picks them in their background I find languages in 5e fairly restricted
>>
>>54548156
Thiefling has Racial Darkness spell at like fourth level. Give them Racial [It's Totally Fog Not Darkness] spell in the same way? Just replace Hellish Rebuke with something else as a starting spell.
>>
What is it that makes 5e good?
>>
>>54548115
>I'm American of Irish ancestry

Why do americucks do this? Your blood is so diluted after hundreds of years.

Being able to speak some basic Spanish as they flood your country is not the same as speaking 5 languages proficiently.

It also gives you the ability to read and write it which is just more bullshit.
>>
>>54548156
Maybe some sort of "you can use stealth in plain view once per short rest, seemingly turning into a cloud of smoke" ability?
>>
>>54548171
Or just, you know, fog cloud.
>>
>>54548179
Size of player base, accessible, and ease of improve while having some depth.
>>
>>54548184
not him but I'll never forget my first omegle experience

Got some European. Don't even remember where. I said I was an American. He insisted that I tell him what ancestry. I said it doesn't matter I'm American. He argued with me for 20 minutes about how our country is only 200 years old and that it doesn't work like that my despite explaining that it was such a mix of European nationalities that it didn't fucking matter anymore.
>>
>>54548192
Basically what I was thinking, but honestly I don't know spells off handily and wasn't checking, so left it as just a refluffed darkness.

But yeah, absolutely, fog cloud or anything else like that. Hell, if you want, give them a bonus to Stealth while in fog environments - but that's going to be super situational / heavily reliant on their racial spell then.
>>
>>54548179
It's good because a lot of people play it.
>>
I'm thinking of playing a Wizard/Sorcerer soon. The way I see it 1 or 3 levels of Wizard gives me enough low level spells and the ability to add more over time to make up for Sorcerer's biggest weakness of spells known.

Also it makes thematic sense for a Wizard who flunked out of his College instead relying on his natural talent.

Anyone have any ideas how many Wizard levels I should take? Good spells that won't need high INT?
>>
>>54548184
>Your blood is so diluted after hundreds of years.

Uh, no. I am the first member of my family born in America. Both my parents were born and raised in Ireland and didn't come to America until 1986; I was born in 1987. Before me my entire family is Irish going back as far as we can trace it, though my great-grandfather's last name was Duff, which is Scottish, so there is a Scott somewhere in the family tree, but he's probably a good 200 years back or more.

>Being able to speak some basic Spanish as they flood your country is not the same as speaking 5 languages proficiently.

It was meant as an example. Consider instead a place like, say, Switzerland, where trilingualism with French, German, and Romansch isn't uncommon. Or Hispanics in America who can speak both English and Spanish. Or many people in Hong Kong who can speak both Cantonese and Mandarin (which are as different from each other as Spanish and French). Or India where most people speak Hindi, English, and a regional language like Tamil or Telugu.

Bilingualism is very common on the whole - more than half the world speaks 2 languages.
>>
>Angered woodland spirit living in the woods outside of a small town
>One person went into the woods one day looking for some mushrooms to use in a soup
>Attacked by the creature but "managed" to get away
>Person has some sort of mark on them from the attack
>As long as that person is alive and in the town, the creature cannot be completely killed
How broken of an ability would such a thing be?
>>
>>54548179
Advantage/disadvantage system is better than floating modifiers
Proficiency system is simpler than skill points
Concentration spells keep casters in check
>>
>>54548184
>Being able to speak some basic Spanish as they flood your country is not the same as speaking 5 languages proficiently
Both me and my partner can speak, read and write in English, German and Polish. When you go live in a place where you have to speak it, then you learn it pretty darn quick.
>>
>>54548091
At the moment? Nothing you can really do except try to lighten the mood by making a joke I guess and remind people it's just a game. Even just saying "Are you alright?" will maybe get him to actually consider his mood, realize he's being a sourpuss over a game, and change his attitude.

Later on? Bring it up with him. If he's a Forever DM, he'll probably understand what you mean. And, hell, maybe you were being a little hard on his character, I dunno, I wasn't there and I don't know the details, but if so, maybe do something to rectify it.

I think you should be understanding, too. People get in foul moods sometimes, and sometimes they have other things going wrong in their lives such that something small can really foul things for them. And, also, it's just a game. If someone ruins the mood once, big deal, you can play again another day. You were going to anyways.
>>
>>54548236
Easiest would be copying Wood Elf but replacing weapon training with 1/short rest Fog Cloud and 1/long rest Pass Without Trace.

If you're feeling generous and imbalanced give them 5 ft blindsight at level, I unno, 6 or so.
>>
>>54548311
also subclasses clean up retarded character concept creep without delving into PrC territory (so far)
>>
>>54548327
>Easiest would be copying Wood Elf but replacing weapon training with 1/short rest Fog Cloud and 1/long rest Pass Without Trace.
That by it's self if hideously powerful compared to weapon training, 5ft blindsight is even more unbalanced.

Also why the fuck do people give races short rest spells in homebrew? The book keeps it to long rest for a reason.
>>
>>54548328
There's already a little of it with some subclasses that are almost never worth taking like Purple Dragon Knight, but they're at least more restrained about that shit than they have been in the past
>>
>>54548342
shitty subclasses can get errata'd in the future but you can't uncreate PrC's and shit
>>
>>54548321
Assuming total immersion, about 3 months for fluency, depending on how close the language is to your native ones (English-speakers have relatively easy times with Germanic and Romance languages, for example, but much harder times with languages like Swahili, Arabic, Hindi, or Mandarin)
>>
>>54548342
One good thing is even if you do take something that's plain worse like PDK, is that it's not that much worse. It's level 7 is good and the level 10 is pretty fun. If I was going to play a member of the Cormyr Purple Dragons I'd probably just go EK and say he learnt magic from some of the War Wizards considering how close they are though.
>>
>>54548279
>>54548321
So, how does your level 1 character speak Giant, Draconic and Celestial?
>>
>>54548327
>>54548339
How does this sound?

>Starting at 4th level, you can cast Fog Cloud at 1st level a number of times per long rest equal to your character level/4. Once you reach [X]th level, you can use a bonus action to cast Misty Step at its base level while you are lightly/heavily obscured.

Homebrewing is hard
>>
>>54548380
I'm a cleric of a giant dragon
>>
>>54548380
At that point I'd probably have to make the character's background revolve around them a bit. Probably something along the lines of extensively studying old magic books. Those are all languages you should have to clear with a DM, though personally I probably wouldn't give a shit so long as the background made sense
>>
>>54548380
>Giant
Lived near giants or Firbolgs. Firbolgs is probably they easiest explanation and any number of classes could've trained or studied with some for various reasons.

>Draconic
It's generally worth knowing how to speak to Lizardfolk if you live near them, they can be easily bargained with.

>Celestial
Depending on the setting it could be considered a holy language and taught to all church goers.

>>54548390
Here's a tip, if you've seen an ability like that on a race then it's probably okay.

Have you ever seen a race that gets to cast a spell multiple times that scales with level, or one that gets to cast a LEVEL 2 SPELL AT-WILL?

No, it's OP.
>>
>>54548380
Depends on the character, doesn't it? I'm going to say a sage studying ancient Ostoria in the Forgotten Realms. Giant and Draconic, then are natural choices - Ostoria was a Giantish empire that fell to centuries of warfare with dragons.

Celestial is a bit harder to justify, however as temples and churches have traditionally been keepers of lore in the real world (and presumably in the Forgotten Realms as well), it's possible that my sage would have learned Celestial in order to read ancient tomes about Ostoria stored in temple libraries.
>>
>>54548339
I said that for Fog Cloud mostly just because it's much weaker than Darkness, since it's blown away by breeze and can be seen through by more creatures iirc.
>>
>>54548438
>Much weaker then darkness

Which is why it's a level 1 spell. For reference Drow get a cantrip, a level 1 spell once per long rest and a level 2 spell once per long rest. They also have a major drawback.

You've given up weapon training (that isn't really that good) and a lame cantrip, in exchange for getting their spell to recharge on a short rest and no major drawback. Oh they also get the ability to hide lightly obscured and a 35ft. movement speed.

It's not that hard to homebrew, just think about other options and why anyone would pick them mechanically when your homebrew exists.
>>
File: dm cheat sheet.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
dm cheat sheet.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54546709
Last week someone posted this one.
Or maybe just get DM screen.
>>
>>54548427
How about this then?

>Starting at 5th level, while you are lightly/heavily obscured you can cast Misty Step as a bonus action. You can do this once per day.

Half casters get access to 2nd-level spells at 5th level, and as this anon pointed out >>54548462
some PHB races get once-per-day 2nd-level spells. Plus this one has a prerequisite for you to be able to cast (being obscured).

Does this bring it more in line with other racial spell options?
>>
>>54543784
>Best
Ranger animal companions get one action per round (move or attack) at 5th level. At 11th level, they get two. (Move and attack, two moves or two attacks)

>Worst
If a roll clears AC by more than 10, it's a crit. If it was already a crit and clears by 5, it's a double crit. Clear by 10, it's a triple crit. Clear by 15, it's max damage quad crit.

I still don't know what that DM was thinking. I literally just played a War Cleric. Every time someone hit a nat20, I'd War God's Blessing or Channel Divinity for myself. I think I used a total of twenty heals in that six month campaign.
>>
>>54548536
Well first of all, Misty Step is already a bonus action. Secondly what's the rest of the stats?
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
Can a Thief with Use Magic Device use a level 9 Spell Scroll at level 13?
>>
>>54548556
I'd say yes, but they need to pass the DC19 arcana check.
>>
>>54548556
they can try
>>
I kinda regret making my Barbarian a Berserker simply because the frenzy no longer seems worth it
>>
File: WiP.jpg (37KB, 354x295px) Image search: [Google]
WiP.jpg
37KB, 354x295px
>>54548549
Here's what I have so far.
>>
>>54548556
Anyone can try as long as it's on their spelllist. I don't see why a Thief wouldn't be able to try it but they'd have to make checks for ANY spellscrolls they use because they have no levels in spellcasting.

>>54548590
>Specialist
Nope. You fucked up.
>>
>>54548556
they dont get ANY casting bonus with UMD so you're better off hiring someone else to read off the scroll probly
>>
>>54548590
They don't need tool kits imo since that's a background trait not race usually but Forgery and Thieves Tools would fit.
>>
>>54548572
It's not an Arcana check, just a check with their spellcasting ability. This means no proficiency bonus, which makes casting a higher level spell a very risky trick but if you had ADV and Guidance or something you could have a decent chance of pulling it off.
>>
>>54548604
The save DC and attack bonus of any spells cast from a spell scroll is determined by the level of the spell on the scroll, not the caster
>>
>>54548600
>Nope. You fucked up.
Educate me, I seek only to improve.
>>
>>54548618
Or an allied Divination wizard.

It'd need to be a big damn emergency for a Wizard to willingly give up a level 9 spell scroll though.
>>
Someone has a decent sheet for pet?
>>
>>54547917
Sounds like you maybe want to play cleric..? Their spell are more concerned with spirits than wizard's.

>>54548285
>the creature cannot be completely killed
What do you mean? It will resurrect next round, next full moon? Or just won't go below 1HP? How angry is the spirit? If it isolationist that only defend it's groove, it seems OK.

I really like the idea, by the way.
>>
What are some of the fun things you can do with Use Magic Device anyway? I know there's always the classic dick ass thief using a Holy Avenger, but a cursory look over the DMG's magic item section didn't really give me too many ideas
>>
What good is a way of the open hand monk? I'm currently lvl 5 in our campaign, and the only thing I've been doing in combat is dying, get back up from a heal, then stay in the distance throwing darts. Everyone else is doing massive damage while SOMETIMES manage to stun and deal 10 damage. Only thing I'm doing now is to hand out moose-hats to beggars so I can later have a personal army
>>
>>54548695
Staffs and wands?
>>
>>54548743
Good way to fight, I mean
>>
>>54548695
Isnt the Sunblade a Finesse Longsword?
>>
How often do you lads play?
>>
If you managed to go 18th levels in Bard, what would you take your last two levels in, if you didn't want an extra ASI/feat?

>>54548695
There's tons of items that require attunement by spellcasters, you could just bypass all that.
>>
>>54548325
It was really a matter of him not understanding 5e rules.
He got constricted by a Water Weird. I found out too late he's a powergamer so he thought he was hot shit using mobility feat he just got. He assumed he could use his bonus get in an off hand attack and then move away from the plesiosaurus instead of using his bonus to disengage. Well, he was also in the WW's threat range who is invisible in water so it got an OA. I was pretty clear that it was a reaction but he is the severely distracted type and didn't pay attention. He assumed its Init. was right after his when it was actually right before. I rolled initiative for two monsters in front of everybody and other members used knowledge to know Nessie was not the thing that they were told to go take care of before it attacked. So now he's restrained, and I tell him he gets to make escape check. WW turn comes right before his. He gets dragged into the water 30 ft and does 3d6+3 a second time. He complains he doesn't get a turn. Have to explain again that was its OA even though he understands OA very well and he just didn't pay attention. Complains he doesn't get to make a check to not get pulled(while restrained lol), and I have to tell him that's not how it works in 5e. When you grapple someone you can move them and just have to go half speed. It has 60ft swim. He fails escape check on his turn and is still restrained. Druid used Destroy Water to make it drop him. Its turn is still before him and he gets KO'd. He complained that he didn't get a turn at all. He just went silent and kept channeling negative energy into the room. It was supposed to try to drown him, but it was so bad at the point he got KO'd and making everyone uncomfortable that I pretty much had to say it let him go so we could move on without him.

Thing is everyone got a free luck point for this fight only because plot, and he had every opportunity to use it. When he failed the check I asked if he wanted to use it and he said "no".
>>
>>54548590
Specialist OP. Make it weapons only and it's fine.

Specialist + two skills + tool profiency +misty step is too much
>>
If your DM allows feats, should you be taking feats or the ASI when you level up?
>>
>>54548774
Once a week, possibly more now that I'm done trying to run another game.
>>
>>54548770
Yes, but you don't have to be a Thief to use it since it has no class or level requirements
>>
>>54548743
Don't forget you're squishy, you don't want to get caught in melee. So what you should be doing is Stunning when necessary, but most of the time Flurry should be enough. Remember that on both hits of your Flurry you can apply an additional effect, and they also serve the purpose to allow you to run away from your enemy safe from attacks of opportunity.

Get Mobile ASAP.
>>
>>54548779
clerics are fantastic, pally is acceptable for some colleges/builds, sorc isn't so good under 3 levels for metamagics. ????lock maybe??? Waiting til 18 to consider multiclassing is retarded though
>>
>>54548743
Just be the rogue who gets loads of attacks and trips people instead of sneak attack damage.
It's easy as fuck in 5e because you can break up movement.

>wait til Melee Tank is next to enemy
>run in and flurry the fucker
>he's prone now
>move to safety
>tank gets advantage on his melee attacks now

If you ARE the melee tank in these situations, then you are playing Monk wrong.
>>
>>54548782
Roger that.
>>
>>54547193
Well, he's replacing background feature with one extra proficiency
>>
>>54544502
Okay then. How about exchanging ideas? Post more or less recent encounters or quests that you made and actually liked or saw in the game you played.
Encounter: While searching for a marauding band of greenskins, party meets an armoured ogre. They immedaiately assume that he's one of them and attack. Ogre, instead of fighting back, tries to reason with PCs, says he has nothing to do with greenskins and actually wants them dead too. His speech is unusually eloquent, and then party examines his 'armour' - it consists of section of fence as shield, bucket with chicken feathers as helmet, and various metal things strung together by a rope as mail shirt. Ogre then goes on explaining that years ago he was a human knight, who got cursed by his god for being unbeareably prideful. Years of being a monster did wonders to knight's attitude and now he seeks to actually do good instead of being a dick in plate armour. This ogre was so well-liked by PCs that they went out of their way to make him actual armour and a sword. He became a recurring character in that campaign.
>>
>>54548948
Quest: Elderly noble wants party to find his son, who ran away some time after murder of his best friend and friend's fiancee. Noble and his wife are absolutely sure that their son has nothing to do with murder. Originally party arrived in town to seek for a certain doll, and accepted the quest only because they needed money. After lengthy investigation PCs discovered that wayward son and his friend wanted to marry the same girl, and she chose his friend. Son wasn't amused and challenged his friend to a duel, but he knew that he was far too weak to win, so he sought for something that would give him power. Long story short, he made a poorly worded deal with a devil, and went on his merry way to duel his friend.
Devil granted the guy the power he wanted - in the shape of a berserker's rage. Poor guy wasn't ready for that and killed his friend AND his fiancee, who arrived at the last moment to stop this idiocy. When his rage subsided and he realised what he did, guy finally went insane and fled from the city. Devil then proceeded to coerce him into summoning more lesser devils, and it all went downhill from there. Also, somewhere between slaugthering peasants and opening gates of hell while screaming that he wasn't to blame and devil made him do it, guy found the doll party was looking for and started treating it like it was his beloved girl whom he has killed before. Party then found him, put hhim out if his misery and took the doll with them.
>>
>>54548779
Fighter 2 for Action surge.
>>
>>54546251
He get too much information for free for my like, If I were GM I wouldn't let in my games because of how hard it would to build anything.
>>
>>54548956
>>54548779
This guy knows what he's talking about.
extra action is great, and you get a free fighting style, too.
>>
>>54548685
>What do you mean? It will resurrect next round, next full moon? Or just won't go below 1HP? How angry is the spirit? If it isolationist that only defend it's groove, it seems OK.

I figured it would resurrect in 24 hours
>>
>>54549031
I don't think such thing is broken rules-wise. They can defeat it standard way - just not kill.

Hell, don't vampires have similar ability?
>>
>>54548786
Depends on character
>>
>>54549031
>>54549069
It's not really out of place with what's in the MM for Revenant which is only CR5.
Comes back from the dead to seek vengeance on someone. Always knows where that person is. That is like the mark thing kinda.
When its body is destroyed it just finds another corpse to use. It only stops coming after the person if a 1 year time limit passes, the person dies, or they cast wish to force it to the afterlife.

as long as there's good justification for its ability it's not really broken.
>>
so what do you think about xxecexeadsxa guide to everything?
>>
>>54549131
If Knight isn't in it, we riot.
>>
Ideas for creating incendiary ammo for a gunslinger?
I've got alchemist fire, gunpowder and oil to work with.
>>
>>54549131
I want the Knight, Inquisitive, Hexblade, Arcane Archer, Monster Slayer, Lore Wizard, and Blades Bard ASAP.

I would not mind some new magic items as well.
>>
>>54549131
WotC should stop pushing Forgotten Realms and release some actually interesting setting.
>>
>>54549131
i am looking up for the new rules for the DM
>>
>>54549184
>Lore Wizard
Please stop.
>>
>>54549143
Knight in what sense? There's already the background, (the kind of shitty) fighter subclass, and oath of the crown. A mount based fighter subclass would be kind of neat, but I'm not sure how great that is in a game where there's actual dungeons to raid
>>
>>54549213
Knight from the Fighter UA, you ignoramus.
>>
Which would win in a straight, full-power fight on a beach? An ancient gold dragon or a kraken?
>>
>>54549209
I don't think the concept of a wizard who specializes in academic knowledge instead of a school of magic is completely without potential. All the same that unearthed arcana still might be the least thought out one I can think of.
>>
File: 1455523910410.jpg (214KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
1455523910410.jpg
214KB, 600x620px
>>54549258
>Anything being less thought out than Mystic.

In b4 Greyhawk Initiative
>>
>>54549287
The mystic had way too much content to be anything but extremely though out. The thoughts weren't well put together, or correct, but they existed.
>>
>>54549258
It seems like its just turning wizards general theme to eleven, without adding anything interesting, to be honest. And imagining academics doing anything during one round in the fields is laughable.
>>
Recommend me a good published adventure I can draw inspiration from
>>
>>54549243
Ancient Gold Dragon.
22 vs 18 AC
546 vs 472 HP
Legendary Resistance
The Kraken doesn't really stand a chance, honestly.
>>
File: mearls.png (310KB, 493x493px) Image search: [Google]
mearls.png
310KB, 493x493px
>>54549287
>GHI is worse than Mystic
You're just a retarded elf.
>>
File: +.png (38KB, 326x232px) Image search: [Google]
+.png
38KB, 326x232px
>>54549316
Hey man, mystic is garbage, but at least it doesn't slow down the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME by making EVERY SINGLE ROUND OF COMBAT TAKE LONGER.
>>
>>54549329
Fair point. The mystic in theory is only capable of slowing down rounds that have mystic players and DM's scratching their head, while GHI has that every round
>>
Anyone have any easy ways to impress new players, playing low level pcs?
>>
>>54549329
Shut the fuck up KA
>>
File: mearlsmini.png (2KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
mearlsmini.png
2KB, 32x32px
>>54549329
ᵐᵃʸᵇᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ˢʰᵒᵘᶫᵈ ʳᵒᶫᶫ ᶠᵃˢᵗᵉʳ ᶰᵉˣᵗ ᵗᶦᵐᵉ
>>
>>54549394
Could you elaborate on what you mean? I feel like you're hoping to get some players to react along the lines of "Whoah bro, sick build!" as a fellow player, but there really isn't anything like that. There's a few classes that shine really early like moon druids, archer fighters and paladins at 5th level, but otherwise I dunno
>>
>>54549258
I see what you mean, I wouldn't be opposed to a Lore Wizard who was ACTUALLY focused on knowledge instead of having better metamagic than the fucking sorcerer.
>>
>>54549439
I meant as a dm sorry. And not even just "Wow" moments but also ways to engage the party and make them feel awesome.
>>
>>54549459
Mounted Combat chase scene. Have a carriage and maybe 2 horses for the party and let them attempt cool shit against enemies.

Mounted Combat's the best.
>>
>>54549459
I'm a fan of enemies that come in waves and giving the PCs the chance to trap up an area (essentially a tower defense scenario, but it could easily happen in the middle of a cave or whatever). It's kind of surprising just how many things even a low level PC can take out under those circumstances, and it gives a lot of opportunity for players to have set pieces to interact with to get them thinking about alternatives to just attacking every round
>>
>>54549459
Give them the chance to narrate or describe how they want to finish off bosses and tough monsters "How do you wanna do this?" I felt so good playing a barb in this one-shot when I killed this giant scorpion by grabbing hold of its tail and spiking it through its own head.

Narrate their flashy spells and critical hits. By level 3-5, put them against waves of CR 1/8 monsters and describe how the bodies pile up as they swing their swords and throw their magic blasts.
>>
>>54549243
Even without factoring in their base stats and just going off their actions, Kraken is completely fucked.
Dragon has +17 melee attacks against an 18 AC. It can only miss one of its 3 attacks on critical fail, and already has more HP.
Dragon can use weakening breath. If Kraken fails that save all STR based attacks(aka all of its melee moves) get disadvantage. Granted, tentacles have +18 to hit and automatically grapple. With Disadvantage a die still needs to roll 3 or lower to miss the 22 armor class. It does not specify a size limit, so Dragon CAN be restrained.
The thing is, the dragon can shapeshift into literally anything smaller like a humanoid, and it would automatically escape, following which it would move away so i can't be swallowed by the bite(the most dangerous thing about the kraken) I don't see any reason it shouldn't be able to do this while restrained.

After that it only has lightning storm, its only move with a saving throw.
Well, Dragon gets to automatically turn any failure on the save into a success 3 times per day and takes only half. This doesn't count all the turns it rolls a success before and after that.

then there's the fact that the dragon can simply fly above and use fire breath.
>>
New thread -
>>54549535
>>54549535
>>54549535
>>
>>54549454
Even then it's kind of hard to think of class features that would actually compliment it that have anything to do with spellcasting. You could maybe give it some sort of "Quest for the Akashic record" flavor I guess and maybe some sort of Legend Lore like features, but generally I can't see why it needs a subclass
>>
Anyone here ever play flavorful characters that don't fit the standard mold of a class? For example, I once played a Druid Wrestler with high STR that would transform into a giant wolf for his finishing moves.
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.