[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 44

File: Torment.jpg (579KB, 1020x1412px) Image search: [Google]
Torment.jpg
579KB, 1020x1412px
The True Death Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54392801

What settings would be the easiest and hardest to adapt to Fifth Edition?
>>
Easiest: Any low/high fantasy piece of literature or media
Hardest: Any system that deals with abstract and definitive differences in technological hierarchy (Rifts, FFWH40k, Battletech) or my dick
>>
I need a good name for a Glabrezu that my players are going to fight in a Curse of Strahd campaign.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (50KB, 566x542px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
50KB, 566x542px
I miss magic forcefully aging characters
>>
What's your favorite unconventional build? What's the most bizarre thing you can come up with?
>>
>>54397851
Eberron would be somewhat hard to adapt. It's a setting where you can buy wand of magic missile on the street corner, not exactly 5e level of magic item rarity.
>>
>>54398042
Battlemastermind. It's pretty shit, though, you only really come online (manuevers, help action and second attack) on level 8.
>>
>>54398013
Hank
>>
File: IMG_0118.jpg (490KB, 864x1060px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0118.jpg
490KB, 864x1060px
No one I play with appreciates that I don't want to play meta builds. I have yet to play the glorious Sun Soul Monk I've been dreaming of.
>>
What feat benefits the monks combat the greatest?
>>
>>54398013
Dave
>>
>>54398013
bjornbjorn
>>
>>54398066
What is meta build?
>>
>>54398013
From Forgotten Realms wikia:
>Notable glabrezu:
>Belshazu
>Bizmatec
>Mizferac
>Quinix
>>
>>54398013
Belphegor
>>
>>54398067
Mobile, you can Bruce Lee into the fight and get out without needing to use Disengage with Ki.
>>
>>54398066
>meta builds
Unless you're deliberately putting stats in the wrong place and playing like a retard you'll be fine. I have a campaign running where a wot4e monk is contributing meaningfully.
>>
File: IMG_0343.jpg (357KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0343.jpg
357KB, 1920x1200px
I want to see a Dragon's Dogma inspired game of DnD. Maybe set an age or two before the ones we know of in game.
It's a beautiful setting with awesome monsters and fighting styles. The whole jumping on monsters thing is cool (I know there are rules for it in the DMG that aren't terrible)
>>
>>54398013
Reficul
Megahitler
Pmur Tlanod
>>
>>54398110
that sounds cool, I always thought a grappler would be fun.
>>
>>54398042
I built a castlevania style UA Ranger/Swashbuckler with a twf rapier/whip. I can use the whip to make trip attacks at range (athletics expertise) while harrassing backline opponents with sneak attacks. Also the Giant Killer ability gives me more chances to sneak attack, maybe Mage Slayer if I take that feat.
>>
File: demifiend1.jpg (461KB, 1517x1017px) Image search: [Google]
demifiend1.jpg
461KB, 1517x1017px
Could the 5e system run a good Shin Megami Tensei campaign?
>>
>>54397851
Easy: Dragonlance
Hard: Birthright
>>
>>54398146
>Megahitler
Perfect!
>>
>>54397772
As far as I know there is no "main hand" or "offhand" in 5e. A 5th level twf fighter can make two attacks with one of his weapons then use a bonus action to attack with the other.
So a fighter with a scimitar and a short sword can make two attacks with the scimitar then a bonus action attack with the shortword, or he can make two attacks with the shortsword and a bonus action attack with the scimitar
>>
>>54398137
Dragon's Dogma is interesting for sure.
I would play just to jump on an ogres back and slay him.
>>
>>54398168
Maybe, but there's probably a better system for it. Would press turn work in a tabletop setting?
>>
>>54398189
Alright thanks for clearing this up for me I'll tell the fighter to fuck off.
>>
>>54398112
My group is a bunch of power gaming fucks. DM is spineless and will do what they want to do. I'm SOLd
>>
>>54398208
>hitting weaknesses via magic or getting a crit for a press turn
sounds like magic would be OP like in 4 and 4a
>>
File: bright_eyes_by_visaga-d7p9agr.jpg (110KB, 968x825px) Image search: [Google]
bright_eyes_by_visaga-d7p9agr.jpg
110KB, 968x825px
>>54397851
I want to play as a traveling doctor that doesn't rely on clerical powers to heal people what class should I play?
>>
>>54398221
>a bunch of power gaming fucks
discard their opinions and play what you want. If they call you out for trying to have fun tell them to eat shit
>>
>>54398220
Also to clarify you don't need the twf style to make those sequences of attacks, it just boosts them. Also keep in mind that, as the other anon said, Action Surge does not give you another bonus action, just another main action. So a 5th level fighter action surging would get Attack action (two attacks), Attack Action (two attacks), Bonus action (one attack with a weapon opposite of either of the prior attack actions' weapon
>>
File: Darkest_Dungeon_Artwork_9.jpg (246KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Darkest_Dungeon_Artwork_9.jpg
246KB, 1920x1080px
>>54398244

Have you looked into the Artificer/Alchemist from the Unearthed Arcana from the beginning of the year?
>>
>>54398244
Anything you like that's not a cleric? Just take the Medic feat.
>>
>>54398197
That mechanic was just awesome. Hanging upside down on a dragon's chest striking at the heart, chopping off and beating the various heads of a chimera to death, calling down meteors and tornadoes to fuck up large groups of enemies; just a few of the reasons that this game set itself apart within the Action/Adventure genre.
>>
>>54397851
>easiest
Mystara

>hardest
Council of Wyrms
>>
>>54398257
I don't want to leave before I have another group. I put in my post in the Gamefinder thread
>>
File: 1483938118052.jpg (50KB, 858x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483938118052.jpg
50KB, 858x1024px
>>54398291
Artificer's can be Alchemist's?

I thought they could only be gunslinger's or some shit whaaat?
>>
>>54398335
They can be gunsmiths or alchemists.
>>
>>54398335
Both of which are painfully straightforwards, but the big thing is that Artificers get expertise (double proficiency) in the tools they choose. You could always ask your DM to let you use "surgeon's tools" for surgery, since the tools in the PHB are limited only to the herbalism kit and healer's kit, both of which are basically first-aid kits.

I guess you could choose the poisoner's kit as your second tool proficiency, since extracting and neutralizing poisons could be part of being a doctor.
>>
>>54398396
That's nice honey
>>
>>54398291
it's SHIT!!!!!!!!
>>
So, /5eg/, what obscure pieces of religion, history, or fictional stories are you ripping off to serve as the basis of your campaign? Confess your sins. Here's mine:

>Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
>Tao Te Ching
>Bhagavad Gita
>Shrek
>>
>>54398013
Ol' Moneybags
Xiao Mei Mei
Smiling Salesman
Happy Merchant
Bling McDosh
Cash Money
Lil' Famous
Bleezy
>>
>>54398590
Indian mutiny
>>
>>54398590
>>Shrek

explain.

Also the Roman invasion of Britain, mainly Boudica's revolt
>>
>>54398630

>explain

The universe is the dream of a comatose god. Initially, his dream is pretty bright and colorful but over time everything is starting to fade away as his body starts to fail him. This reflects everything in the setting the players are in. The Empire that kept the continent together has fallen and its remnants are crumbling to barbarism. There are thousands of gods and people keep reincarnating because the dream keeps recycling their soul unless they realize the world is actually a dream.

Where the Shrek influence comes from are the anachronisms in technology use. The world that the comatose god is dreaming of is deteriorating at a faster rate so the setting gets a little bit weirder. For example, nobles can buy sunglasses, canned potato chips are sold in markets, and roller-skates exist now for some reason. Also at the beginning of the campaign, the players find an ogre who lost his swamp to a rival and wants it back.
>>
>>54398590
My DM ripped a bunch of characters out of Undertale. The setting of the campaign seemed completely normal and everyone involved was caught off guard
>>
File: 1453233933882.jpg (328KB, 1000x538px) Image search: [Google]
1453233933882.jpg
328KB, 1000x538px
>>54398137
Would you just take the setting of Gransys and neighbours, or would you use elements from the game's plot as well?

yfw the DM is the Seneschal, whoever lands the killing blow DMs next game
>>
>>54398590
Not obscure, but WW1

Referencing how a Great War left pretty much everyone miserable and poor, the landscape destroyed, and most young adults dead yet there's still power players that want war for reasons
>>
Do you guys allow reflavoring a PCs race into another with more favorable stats (within reason of course).

Example, a PCs character is as Fire Genesis EK FIghter but is a Tiefling in character.
>>
>>54398813
Why not just play a tiefling?
>>
>>54398763
The setting is fine enough. Perhaps with some of the ruins in their preruined state.

As for the plot though, anyone who pulled that off would be my hero
>>
>>54398855
Because he's a minmaxing faggot
>>
>>54398813
Hmm, this is strange, because most of the players will decide on race looking at their stats and bonuses but yet I would not allow it. I like the idea that some races do things naturally.
>>
>>54398013
Gazebo
>>
>>54398813
I wouldn't allow it
If you want Tiefling stats, you have to deal with the fact that your character is a tiefling. Which involves both the positives and negatives
>>
File: CyitXJ5UkAQ1lxk.png (90KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
CyitXJ5UkAQ1lxk.png
90KB, 256x256px
>>54398883
>>
>>54398855
Fire Genasi has the +2 CON and +1 INT, stats much more preferred than a tieflings CHA and INT, so what >>54398877 said

>>54398878
I agree that most races should have their own niche to fill but my reasoning behind it is that the races are pretty similar to each other in the first place. If she came to me with the idea that she wants to make a human but has the ability to fly and shit like an Aasamir then yea, hard no.
>>
>>54398765
>Referencing how a Great War left pretty much everyone miserable and poor
[Laughs in American]
>>
>>54397851
I'm new to D&D how often do you usually have a session and about how many sessions is your average campaign?
>>
>>54398994
Usually once a week, and that depends on how long the DM wants to run the campaign

It can be anywhere from 1 day to several years
>>
>>54398994
You have to find whatever works for the group you get together.

If everyone can and wants to meet once a week for 3 or 4 hours, then agree to it and do it.

If people want to meet every other week, that's fine if everyone wants to.

Campaigns last as long as the DM has paced it essentially, or how fast the players are moving through the set content by the DM or the premade adventure.

If you want a long campaign you can run it, if you want a shorter one, you can run that as well.
>>
>>54398994
All my groups are once a week barring someone having a birthday or their wife going into labor earlier that day. One group is little 2 - 3 session quest chunks with no end in sight, the other is 'escape the dungeon' which looks to be going to the end of the year, the DM saying they want to run another campaign with us after.
>>
>>54398994
Sessions can go from 3 hours to 5 for an average group. It all depends on everyone's stamina, especially the DM's. I've had a 12 hour session (more like two 6 hour sessions with a lunch break between and dinner at the end).

Campaigns can go for as long or as short as the group wants. It all varies on how much the DM creates if it's a homebrewed setting. Modules all depend on which one. I've never played any so I can't weigh in on that.
>>
>>54398994
I was DMing to 2 groups, 1 one them was 5~7 hours every two weeks, the other one was 4~5 every week. It depends.
>>
>>54398590
Lessee...
>Bloodborne
My players are going north soon to battle a werewolf epidemic that's very inspired by bb.
>Kingdom Hearts
Just for some minor villains and aesthetics, maybe a few phrases and such.
>The rise and fall of the first achaemenad empire
Mmm Persia.
>Don Quixote
One of the countries is called Lamancha and one of their famous knights has (infamously) attacked a windmill.
>a bunch of other shit.
I'm probably unconsciously stealing from a bunch of other shit too, who knows.
>>
>>54398590
>Mistborn
>Stormlight Archive
>Elantris
>>
File: 17553745.jpg (18KB, 396x446px) Image search: [Google]
17553745.jpg
18KB, 396x446px
>>54399130
>tfw half of those characters couldn't exist in 5e without homebrew
>>
>>54399146
That's a good thing.
>>
>>54399168
ah yeah I love being pigeonholed into playing as generic fantasy archetypes instead of unique or interesting characters
>>
>>54397960
Good names for a Galeb Duhr? I had a level 5 party encounter one after it was blocking a path in boulder form and the Alchemst threw an acid potion at it, but another PC actually knows Terran (which I had no idea about) and managed to convince him to tag along. Galeb Duhr is a cool guy so he ran with it, and depending on what happens he might be a fixed NPC, we'll see though. I just called him Rock Boy a couple times when referring to him.
>>
>>54398994
Most of my games are weekly. I do have one bi-weekly game, my only irl game, and sessions are around 5-6 hours. We sometimes go 7, but it's rare.
>>
>>54399306
Didn't mean to quote, sorry bubs
>>
>>54399306
Ben Grimm
>>
>>54399306
Graveler
Geodude
>>
I was thinking of writing down a lewdish (PG-16, but obviously moddable for raunchier stuff) adventure module and putting it on the DM's Guild.

Would you get it for $1.99 (or pay what you want maybe)? About two, maybe three, sessions of vapid fun, it's a sexy whoddunnit.
>>
>>54399373
Eh, I'd probably pay a few dollars for something like that, if only to read it.
>>
Shitposting makes threads move too fast.
>>54390052
>but you want them to be so inspired by it that they get right back up and stop being mortally wounded?
Under the normal rules, that mortally wounded person could get back up and stop being mortally wounded at the start of their turn on their own, by rolling a 20. As long as there's any chance that someone at 0 HP can just stand up and take their turn like nothing happened, with no class abilities involved at all, there's room for non-magical healing to work on someone at 0 HP. It's martial, so just let it also work on an ally you can reach and not just an ally that can hear or see you.
>>54392447
Because Strahd is a Dracula.
>>
For new players what do you think is better? Level 1 or 3? I personally think 3 since 3 opens up your archetype
>>
>>54399453
L1. Let players get comfortable with the basic mechanics for a couple of levels. Knowing how they like playing their character will make it easier to make a decision about archetype
>>
>>54399453
I enjoyed the basic struggle that starting at 1 gives. Let the player get used to the vanilla ice cream before throwing sprinkles and such on it.
>>
>>54399453
Level 1
>>
>>54399453
I give my players a free feat at 1st level. So 1st level is fine, even with all the deadly encounters I throw out.
>>
>>54399331
It's cool. How about Stoney McRockface?
>>
>>54399453
L1. Casters (specially prepared) need a lot of time to understand what they can do.
>>
>>54399453
For new players 1, for experienced players 2~5.
>>
>>54399453
Level 1 is fine but give them double or triple HP so things aren't as swingy.
>>
>>54400085
>give them double or triple HP
>so things aren't as swingy
anon...
>>
>>54400130
got me
>>
>>54399453
3 for those who know what they want already and how they will go.
>>
>game is set in a world of magical, floating islands, that range from tiny forests to floating underwater ruins inside a floating lake bubble
>down is violent magical storm covered by a thick layer of white clouds. No one knows what lies on the surface, as those who fall never come back.
>a monotheistic religion rules the world as a great empire, and druids worship old, giant gods from when people lived on the surface
>people travel by arships, pirates are everywhere and cartography is a common craft practiced by explorers who want to unravel the world
is this good enough for a setting? what are some interesting, fun encounters I could prepare for my players?
I plan on doing a volcanic whale island quest for the first few sessions, with a hill giant pirate lord as the villain.
>>
>>54399453
Give them a bit of slack when it comes to lvl1 encounters because a single critical means that the battle tips far into the enemies territory.
>>
>>54400261
you sound far more organised than me. also setting sounds rad, I would love to play in a setting like that. Just know that wizards will mess with it on any given day.
>>
File: 1490084896181.png (373KB, 342x524px) Image search: [Google]
1490084896181.png
373KB, 342x524px
If I understand correctly, an attack roll is
d20 + ability modifier + weapon/magic proficiency + situational modifiers.

According to pic related, what part of the attack roll is dexterity included?
>>
File: 1500292678834.png (512KB, 526x583px) Image search: [Google]
1500292678834.png
512KB, 526x583px
I know that both are bad, but given a choice between the two, does the DMG or Unearthed Arcana: Encounter Building have more accurate encounter difficulty assessments?

I get the feeling that the DMG is more accurate, since Unearthed Arcana: Encounter Building never takes into account the cheese of many weaker enemies ganging up on one PC.
>>
>>54400261
>exploration contracts for mapping areas, which leads to finding undiscovered ruins/treasures and any implications therein
>get hired to protect mercantile airships from airpirates
It's a bretty good setting anon. How accessible is flight on a personal level? Like flying machines/mounts.

>good encounters
Maybe conflict with Aarakocra tribes that are like "eyy fug off"? Could have some recurring conflict there. You might be able to leverage the destruction of a floating island, and all the consequences that would entail, out of a quest arc.
>>
>>54400504
DEX would be the ability modifier. Normally, an unarmed strike is 1+STR mod, but Martial Arts lets you substitute DEX instead.
>>
>>54400525
That's pretty cool. Thanks!
>>
How the fuck does the Herbalist Kit work and the Healer's Kit and how do I get proficiency in them? I get you can take a feat in Medic and all, but like, how do you make potions of healing and cure disease potions and brews and shit? The rules are pretty nonexistent as far as I can tell.

I want to run a Cleric whose primary means of healing are mundane, with the reasoning magic is not always around for those he helps. If he heals someone today and leaves and someone is sick tomorrow with the same disease, he's no longer around to stop it.
But if he identifies and cures the disease through mundane means, now the villagers can cure it on their own in the same way assuming it's not like, a plague you need a 30 DC to cure.
>>
>>54400508
I believe that both of them are skewed to not take multiple enemies into account accurately. The autist in me says to consider general to-hit likelihood of enemies compared to PC's, as well as to compare overall health pools for each.

This falls apart the higher in CR you get, but most low-level fights can be balanced well with this, as you're more likely to be facing larger groups of weaker enemies at the 3-9 level range. As you get up there in levels, an "elite" enemy (such as a BBEG or similar larger threat) will be accompanied by relatively expendable mooks that can be dropped in one or two turns if the players roll reasonably well.
>>
>>54400261
I'd establish a few things for yourself if you haven't already before going on though, like are you going to allow flying PCs? What about other flying mounts - griffins, giant eagles, pegasus even? What options are there going to be when someone gets smacked off an airship? Do people make and sell featherfall, levitate, fly enchanted items or other things?

You could do some weird shit with those floating water orbs and sea serpents, creatures jumping from bubble to bubble, or a giant octopus try to drag them in when they fly a little too close to investigate the strange black bubbles. I'd totally dig expanding the flying creatures with life on it's back idea, what about some turtles for smaller or chains of islands? Going from the open air to a claustrophobic boggy area could be a good shake down on a group that has gotten used to dealing with large open spaces.

Whether they kill that pirate lord or not, definitely have the rest of the pirate band hound them. Some chases, some swinging over and boarding, having the airship or supplies sabotaged. Have one of the more powerful pirates or even a rival adventuring crew mess with their maps, or rig up some kind of illusion to change how they see the stars so they navigate wrong.
>>
Is there anything really wrong with the "you all meet in a tavern" start?
>>
>>54400586
It's a bit generic but hey, it will let you know if your players are going to work together or not. If they're all "my mysterious cool character sits in the corner mysteriously" types you'll know to bail.
>>
>>54400531
No problem. Monks are pretty fun to play, you get to run around and nab arrows out of the air and run on walls and shit. Just don't expect big deeps and don't forget to use Stunning Strike on everything that looks physically weak.

>>54400547
You get proficiency in tool kits through backgrounds and downtime. If a specific background doesn't have the proficiencies you would like, you are able to customize in a limited fashion by talking to your DM. There's a little section about it in the Character Customization chapter of the PHB. Usually a background incorporates a roleplay-focused feature, 2 skill proficiencies, and 2 of any language or tool kit proficiency. So you could make an Acolyte background and swap out a language proficiency for the Herbalist or Healer's Kit.

Most of the stuff you want to do involves making "magic" items, which is also a downtime activity and relies on talking about it with your DM.

Keep in mind that potions are expensive as fuck and you are much better off healing and curing diseases with slots, though I'm sure you already know that.
>>
>>54400623
Sound advice. I wasn't sure if I should be spending ki in every encounter, but now I realize it's easy to recover them in short rests and I shouldn't save them just for a special battle.
>>
>>54400261
Fuck yeah that's good enough for a setting Skies of Arcadia was awesome.
>>
I'm thinking up a campaign. It takes place in a new continent freshly discovered (8 years) that has since been minorly colonized by a powerful kingdom across the sea. Idea would be the PCs are venturing to the new land to make their stake there.
Natives would be entirely non human, and quite hostile to the invading human kingdom. Kinda going for the whole Colonization of the New World angle only without guns and plague wiping out most of the natives.

Main city is a relatively well populated port with decent defenses and a decent sized army. Thinking 10k population and 4k soldiers, who protect the city as well as the surrounding semi tamed area where the farms and mines are making the colonization thing viable.

PCs can choose to be murderhobos outright and get bounty for killing the natives, or they could do an intruige campaign with light combat setting up their own mines and businesses in the new world, or they could even go full Fuk da White Man and side with the natives who are gonna be trying to revive old spirits to push out the invaders and kill everybody.
Gonna go with the main semi civilized natives being lizardfolk with shamans and some metalworking but they're fairly savage. Of course if the party is murderhoboing it up they'll eventually find clues about this and have to stop it or else the spirits will totally wreck their shit and destroy the city since it's a level 1 adventure.

Does this campaign sound fun? I've never actually done an intrigue campaign either so I'm considering maybe chopping that idea off unless the players actually ask me to do it rather than give them the option and make it suck if they actually try it out.
>>
>>54400547
There's no proficiency for Healer's Kit because it isn't a tool. It's a consumable item that lets you stabilize a dying person without having to make a Medicine roll. If you take the Healer feat, then you can also use a Healer's Kit to restore HP.

Beyond that, as you say there's very little in the way of hard rules for Medicine use. Which, honestly, is true for almost everything outside of combat. You tell the DM what you want, the DM decides the DC, and you roll. Maybe you'll be rolling Int + Herbalism to devise a restorative tonic. Maybe you won't be able to do it at all with the material on hand. That's up to your DM.
>>
>>54397851
Anything low magic is nearly impossible to use with 5e. The fact there's so much at-will magic makes it hard.

For easy, I've found that anything where you can make zero mechanical changes works best. Right now I'm planning on doing a Ghostwalk campagin and it's pretty easy, all I need to do is say "Ghosts count as people for the purpose of spells and abilities" and there's zero balance issues... As long as the players don't leave the area of Manifest at least.

I'm making sure to make Silver a very common material and all soldiers and guards have silver weapons, to stop Ghost criminals.
>>
>>54400700
It sounds fun but I would make sure to develope the land around the city and have it full of encounters and such.

If I was a pc in your campaign I would like to explore the area and learn about the environment.

So for the most part just expect the unexpected from your pcs because they might not want to do what you describe and if you have nothing for them to do it could really fall on it's face.
>>
>>54400720
So is there really any reason for my character to take a Healer's Kit aside from fluff? I've got +5 to Medicine due to having 17 Wis (16 but Human) and I'm a Cleric anyways. Plus I took Spare the Dying as a Cantrip which is kinda just, a Healer's Kit but it doesn't cost or weigh anything. I can't heal with it, but I can't do that anyways without the Medic feat at level 4 anyways.
>>
>>54400845
If you get the Healer feat they're amazing. Especially if a Thief gets the Healer feat.
>>
>>54400863
Yeah but I'm a Cleric, not a Thief. And I'm level 1 not 4. I may as well not get one and double back for some later once (if) I get to level 4 so I can spend my starting gold on some more reagents for spells honestly. A bit of powergaming I guess but whatever.
>>
>>54400510
>How accessible is flight on a personal level?
The empire does have some wyvern riders, but mounts in general aren't something you find around every corner. Even if you do find a pegasus somewhere, you still have to tame it.
As for ships, carpenters and inventors are common enough so you can fix/buy a ship in almost every town. Ships do vary in shape and size, and are usually not magic powered. Instead, balloons and other fantastical contraptions allow them to soar through the sky.

>Maybe conflict with Aarakocra tribes that are like "eyy fug off"?
I'm sure to put some Aarakocra/flying Kenku/general bird tribes somewhere. My plan is to build a world vast and mysterious enough so every island has something unique to it, varying in climate, culture, etc. All side by side, because magic.

>You might be able to leverage the destruction of a floating island
I do! And I sure plan to.

>>54400567
I plan on only allowing core races for thematic reasons, but sure, I don't see much of a problem allowing players to fly from level 1. My only concern is every player picking a flying race just because, without actually bothering to write them into characters.
Flying mounts are not all that common, but players could (and if you ask me, should) encounter some at some point. Maybe a wandering wyvern or pegasus or something.
About getting smacked off an airship- not letting this happen is part of the fun! I wouldn't run this as a hardcore survival setting, so I'd give plenty of chances for not falling. Even if the ship gets badly damaged and starts to fall, I'd put some little islands out there for the players to try and hang on until some other ship passes by.
Potions and scrolls are abundant, and every town should have some magic shop providing them. Lile water walking potions that allow them to walk on clouds as difficult terrain.
Also you got some amazing ideas going on there, I plan to use them all. Thank you.
>>
>>54400894
>reagents for spells

We /srg/ now?
>>
>>54400906
I just mean like, more holy water mostly. Can never have enough holy water.
>>
>>54400899
I'm planning my own floating world so those were all things I am still deciding and establishing. For flying races I plan to run more on 'can't fly with heavy armor or weapons, can't carry people in heavy armor, speed halved when carrying someone else' so there's real risk of getting your shit pushed in, and you don't just get 'lol I pick it up and drop it off the edge' every fight. If you want to do pegasus, I was planning on using nightmares and playing around with how those are created. Another was about how in some areas, owlbears are not traditional owlbears but griffons that are owl and bear, giving the players a nasty surprise if they think they can just keep out of range and pelt it with arrows.
>>
Just outta curiosity, anyone here have tips for designing a world map? I know that cities should be near a water source and that's about it.
>>
>>54400654
Depending on party composition, short rests may be hard to come by. You can probably get at least one, but to get any more beyond that would only happen if you have at least a Fighter or Warlock.

Using Ki for Flurry of Blows is good at pretty much all levels though, so don't worry too much about it.

>>54400845
>>54400894
Yeah, Healer Kits are kind of meh and only really there to give you a chance at stabilizing a creature if you don't have access to Spare the Dying. On a Cleric it's more or less redundant.

The best mundane healer is a Thief Rogue that uses the Fast Hands feature to use the Healer Kit on a bonus action paired with the Healer feat. I'm actually playing a combat medic with this build, focusing more on helping allies than damage.
>>
What's your guys' opinions on making darklings a playable race?

This is what i was thinking
>+2 dex +1 wis

> prof in rapiers, shortswords, hand crossbow

> light sensitivity

> dark vision 120ft

> Prof in common, Sylvian, elvish

> Death Burn - when a darkling falls unconscious against it's will it will discharge a bright light that will blind any creature within a 10ft radius if they fail a dc 11 con save (+constitution modifier). At level 3 it deals 2d6 radiant damage (half if successful save) and at levels 5, 7, 11, 15, 19 increase damage by 1d6. Once used must complete a long rest to use again.
>>
>>54401006
Unless your players are severe geography autists, don't sweat the details too much. A desert sitting between a mountain range and a river valley doesn't have to make sense, it just looks cool or lets you put things where it's convenient for you.

I guess in terms of dos and don'ts, there's a pretty short list.
>rivers get bigger as they go downstream, not smaller (there are exceptions but this is pretty much universally true)
>mountains don't just pop up out of nowhere
>volcanos do
>don't put volcanoes near cities because it forces you to Pompeii it or constantly evoke Pompeii in your players' psyche, which is annoying
>try to have large geographical features (mountain ranges that span continents, sprawling forests, inland seas) that ignore political borders, it adds a sense of realism
>>
>>54401006
if someone bitches something isn't realistic on your map, say it's magic
>>
>>54401062
Seems the only real benefit they get is Allah u Akbaring enemies. Figure out something else to add feature-wise and make the DC scale with level instead of with CON mod. Starting it at DC 13 and going up by 1 at 5, 9, 13, and 17 would be good. Winds up being a DC 17 7d6 radiant AoE, which is ok considering it might also hit allies.
>>
>>54400261
shit, you largely described a world i've been building (though in mine the lower world is accessible, but it's been essentially thrown into chaos by this mist that has brought with it the reemergence of mythical creatures, as well as having destroyed the land in some places and brought paradise to others. not only that, but the group is part of a pirate ship that has been employed by the queen of one of the island countries handle some of the dirtier business; find safe places for people to live in on the ground, stave off the countries enemies and potentially find the source of the mist and a way to contain, dispell, or maybe even manipulate it.)

like >>54400567 said, get down all of the details. what powers the ships? steampunk technology, magic, both, something else? are they driven by flying creatures (some of the ships in my world employ dragons to help them keep up in dangerous weather, to help protect the ship, as well as save those who fall off the ship). are you going to let your party be important members of the ship (First Mate/Navigator, Quartermaster, Boatswain, Doctor, etc) or just crew?

a couple of ideas:
- something hits the ship and they crash land on an island where they have to find/save the rest of the crew from slavers and/or find a new power source for the ship
- after said adventure, they make it off the island (barely. the ship is p fucked up) and to a large city where they have to scramble for parts while also dealing with the natives who are none too happy with their presence
- a la skyward sword, one day a light appears from the clouds below, parting them and allowing for seemingly safe passage, the large empire then hires your team to explore in order for them to conquer the land below as well as the sky
- ship lands on island only to realize the island is actually a sleeping dragon/giant/god/other creature who soon awakens
- protect the important ship (mercantile, royalty, scholars etc) from pirates and other monsters quest
>>
Why do people like Forgotten Realms? It's such a clusterfuck of a setting if you try to stay true to the lore.
>>
>>54401245
It has a big map
>>
>>54397851
Campaign wraps up tonight boys. The party wizard is going to betray us after we take out the BBEG (he thinks we don't know). I have my ring of spell turning and Mage Hunter feat. Probably still gonna be a rough fight.
>>
>>54398590
The holocaust, Ww2
>>
>>54401130
>Unless your players are severe geography autists
My players are that, and about architecture, and everything.

So I just tell them it's magic and have something bad happen to their characters, they learned not to say that shit anymore.
>>
>>54401200
I was thinking too to have them be prof in stealth and have them learn some spells along the way but I don't want them to be op.
>>
>>54401343
So out of your own flaws, you threaten players? Wow
>>
>>54401393
I don't threaten them, there is just a cause and effect at upsetting me and bad things happening to them in game.
>>
>>54401343
>>54401393
After a certain point, if people aren't able to let go of the fact that some things just don't matter, they need to be bopped on the head. Seriously, what does it matter if the map doesn't perfectly emulate geographical patterns, it's fucking elfgames. Not everything has to make sense.
>>
>>54401130
On the topic of volcanoes would it be possible for a civilization to build a city around the mountain slope of a dormant volcano? Magic is an optionbut im looking for mundane ways before hand. Its a spiritual sight to the people who live there so they wish to be close as possible
>>
>>54398590
Steel Ball Run/Ratrace.
>>
>>54401513
Yeah dude, volcano cities are completely realistic because of the fertile land that resulted from its eflusions. I just about them because every single time I've encountered them in homebrew settings, the DM wants to recreate Pompeii. As well, I had a volcano city around an ever-flowing caldera for forge purposes because dwarves or some shit, and players kept expecting the whole thing to blow.

It lends to cool visuals and interesting city dynamics if the lava flows are incorporated into urban planning, but they always feel like ticking time bombs.

I also realize that I'm saying the same thing in different ways a bunch.
>>
File: 478404_28fa_625x1000.jpg (65KB, 582x474px) Image search: [Google]
478404_28fa_625x1000.jpg
65KB, 582x474px
I need a quick rundown /5eg/

I am a druid with base speed 30ft, I cast longstrider on myself and wildshape into a riding horse.

What is my new normal speed, and what is my dash?
>>
Is making the following changes to races for my setting okay? I'm trying to homebrew as little as possible.

Half-Orcs now have +1 STR, +1 CON and +1 WIS. They replace their Intimidation proficiency with the ability to cast Detect Magic once per short/long rest.

Elves's Trance now instead lets them rest inside a tree to sleep, they kinda phase into it. Instead of suffering exhaustion from missing sleep they must make a DC10 Sanity saving throw (+5DC each time they make it before resting) or suffer some Long Term Madness. If they don't sleep in a tree for a week they suffer Indefinite Madness.

Dwarf's poison resistance instead makes them immune to any madness caused by undead.

All Humans get the Magic Initiate feat, a skill and a +1 and +2 to put in any ability scores.

Thoughts? Also Half-Elves don't exist.
>>
>>54401617
Longstrider increases your speed by 10 feet for the duration of the spell. Since Wildshape doesn't end effects on you, you apply the 10 foot bonus to the horse's speed. Your normal speed is horse+10 (70? I can't remember the speed of a riding horse but I think it's 60 base. I'll just assume it is) and your dash speed is the same.

So, if you do that whole thing, move your speed then dash, you move 70+70 feet for a total of 140.
>>
>>54401729
On the night my DM said it was 100 but confirmed later it was 140. Just checking. That's pretty hilarious.
>>
>>54401741
Why 100? Minimum it would be 120 because of the horse's movement speedx2
>>
>>54401631
>half-orcs can now innately cast spells
>half-orcs exist but half-elves don't
>dwarves have a bonus against undead because why not

Fucking why?

The human and elf ones are okay I guess, as long as variant humans don't get an extra feat on top of that. This is not 'homebrew as little as possible' though, this is changing the concepts behind races entirely.
>>
>>54401915
I removed Half-Elves because Elves are a more fey, less humanoid. Their souls and bodies work in a completely different way.

Humans are one of the inherently magic races, all Humans have minor magic. The Orcs that conquered the northern continent ended up enslaving an empire and the children of them and humans had inherent magical ability making them the Clerics and Druids of the place.

Dwarves were originally guardians of the portal to the afterlife. Nowadays they don't need to guard it but their culture has no fear of death/undeath and they use Necromancy to keep their greatest ancestors as warriors.

V.Humans don't get another feat, there's only 1 type of Human. By homebrew as little as possible I mean I don't want to rewrite stats, just change 1 ability on most of them to make it fit.
>>
I want to run a buffy-themed short campaign. I know 5e quite well and I don't want to learn a new system just for a game.

What changes should/chould I do? Want to keep it a bit dark like CoS but not too much. Modern-ish time but limited technology and shit like 90s (open to generic d&d world too)
>>
>>54402027
Refluff ranged weapons into guns, make armour more like body armour and make sure the players know they can't go around throwing Fireballs in the streets.
>>
>>54402041
I'd rather keep guns very limited, some pistols here and there limited ammo, they could still use xbows I guess like in the show. Keeping darts knives etc in for ranged.

If I include magic it will be little too, maybe cantrips and 1st levels but not much more.

need to brainstorm a bit
>>
>>54398590

Things I'm using as inspiration/reference material for my campaign setting.

> Height of the European Renaissance, complete with a large drive to explore a 'New World' scenario of a heretofore unknown continent
> 1920's pulp fiction
> Dinosaur island, ala Jurassic Park
> 1870's American Wild West
> 12th century feudal Japan
> Deep, foreboding Amazon jungle with early Indian themes

How, pray tell, do these all work together?

> Dragon Quest 7
Every single one of the above were previously isolated mini-planes, now fused together after the gods salvaged what they could from each mini-planes original existence after Eldritch beings tried to unmake reality. And it's only now that said fusion is stable, allowing travel between each mini-plane.
>>
Any tips on starting a campaign and setting things in motion?
Also what's the best 5e adventure so far?
>>
File: 1493283196495[2].jpg (51KB, 451x785px) Image search: [Google]
1493283196495[2].jpg
51KB, 451x785px
What's a good way to get my players to lvl 5 to start Storm King's Thunder that isn't LMoP?
I mean other than actually write something myself.
>>
>>54402457
Start them at level 5.
>>
>>54402041
There's not a lot of guns in Buffy, either. Most of it is martial arts, a skill most vampires inevitably pick up shortly after resurrecting.

Vampire combat in Buffy is difficult to implement I think, since they take very little damage from most weapons but instantly die from a stake to the heart. Most combat is about trying to trip up the enemy so you've got a clear stab. Maybe if your vampire hits 0 HP, they drop to 1HP instead and are stunned until the end of the round. If your players can stake them before the stun wears off, they go up in dust, otherwise they recover X HP.

>>54402078
If you're gonna leave out magic in general you're gonna have to remove most of the caster classes, since they're pointless without.

The Warlock would work pretty well in a setting like this, just leave out all the spell slots and add some fun invocations.
>>
>>54402513
I considered that, but one of the players is new and I wanted the first few levels to be something of an introduction to the game before the 'real' campaign started.
>>
>>54402457
You know you can start lvl 1 in Storm King's Thunder using A Great Upheaveal, right?
>>
>>54402544
I heard it was pretty awful.
>>
File: linkedadven.jpg (70KB, 287x124px) Image search: [Google]
linkedadven.jpg
70KB, 287x124px
>>54402550
I didn't play so, really didn't know. But in the book they tell what you can do to link some adventures with Storm King's. Would recommend a read.
>>
The OP has an Alternate Trove listed, but is there a main trove? Sorry if it's a stupid-ass question, never played 5e and I just came here from /pfg/ so my IQ is just warming up again.
>>
>>54398042

Madly in love with my Roguelock, but it's super, *super* setting dependent. For general purpose usage Dex Barbs, which are fun to me because they give up so many small synergies to pick up a very few huge ones.

For most bizarre that has a chance of working, off the top of my head probably an EK 7/GOO Bladelock 2/Assassin Rogue X with Crossbow Expert intended to cast a point-blank EB and then follow it up with a Sneak Attack. Haven't run the numbers, though.
>>
...still no Aasimar rules? Has been annoying the shit out of me that Tieflings is somehow more core than Aasimars since the shitfest that was 4e. Didn't realize that carried over to 5e.
>>
>>54402760
Aasimar got 2 different stats done up dude.

Dungeon Master's Guide and Volo's Guide to Monsters. The DMG one is basically "Tielfling: Holy Edition" and the VGtM one is considered to be one of the most powerful races in the game. I'd go as far to say as they're better then V.Human for quite a few classes.
>>
>>54398112

Wot4E is fine but a bit niche as long as it's being played in the vein of an EK or Arcane Trickster, where a few semi-rare casts are used to enhance the base class instead of being primary tools. The problem is that the book makes it sound like you're going to be the Avatar while the mechanics punish any attempt to be the Avatar.
>>
>>54402781
Well they're not on the 5eSRD as an available race.
>>
>>54402817
Because that doesn't feature splat books. You want to download the .pdf's for all the content.

Races that aren't in the SRD are Aasimar (all up 4 kinds), Lizardfolk, Firbolgs, Goliaths, Svirfneblen, Bugbears, Kobolds, Yuan-ti, Kenku, Tabaxi and more. There's quite a few races available now.

They explained the lack of Aasimar in core books for the simple fact, a lot of people don't like them. Unfortunately a lot of feedback came back that was positive for Tieflings and not so much for Aasimar because people think they're boring.
>>
File: 1465926072355.png (626KB, 1203x585px) Image search: [Google]
1465926072355.png
626KB, 1203x585px
>>54402457
Man, that skirt is too high. Where is the fun in that?
Needs to be like three inches longer then that, enough to HINT, not SHOW, just past where here butt ends.
Dumb sluts
>>
>>54402845
>They explained the lack of Aasimar in core books for the simple fact, a lot of people don't like them. Unfortunately a lot of feedback came back that was positive for Tieflings and not so much for Aasimar because people think they're boring.
As opposed to "literal demons lol"? People are fucking retarded. This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>54402896
https://astranauta.github.io/races.html#Aasimar%20(Scourge)
Here's one of the races options, you can look at the others there as well.

Also I know what you mean, if it makes you feel any better take comfort in the fact they're Mike Mearls favorite race which is probably why they ended up OP.
>>
How do you feel about allowing characters to start with a extra feat from the skill feats ua in a point buy only game, will the extra 1 ability score allow for non standard race/class combo's without breaking anything?
>>
>>54402845
>There's quite a few races available now.
Yeah.. I just feel like the races are mostly just uninteresting, though. Character creation feels like a straight-forward unengaging exercise as opposed to, say, Pathfinder, where I can't help but to be overwhelmed by ideas and inspiration, with different racial subtypes for almost any race, a ton of alternate racials, and combineable class archetypes. Doesn't exactly get the juices flowing. I quite honestly can't think of anything I'd want to play, specifically.
>>
>>54402945
Whenever I've got no idea I just look at whatever races and classes I've never even heard someone playing.

Duergar Cavalier, Firbolg Whisper Bard, Orc Sharpshooter and shit like that. It can be good fun to try something far out there.
>>
>>54400508

I use both. The DMG system is much more flexible but doing the math by hand is a PITA and it's more easily fooled by edge cases like estimating a Tarrasque and a Housecat is about 50% harder than a Tarrasque itself.

The UA system isn't nearly as flexible but it's fast enough to use on-the-fly and it's less suckered in by edge cases. You're right that it's better for 1 big guy surrounded by little guys than a mob of medium guys.

Ultimately, both are just systems of estimating around how many enemies will make for a fair-ish fight. The math works as general guidelines but by the very nature of reducing a complicated ability and stat set into a single number means it loses an astounding amount of precision, so it's trivially easy to set up a "deadly" encounter that's actually a cakewalk or past a certain point an "easy" encounter that's an almost guaranteed TPK. You're ultimately going to have to eyeball how your group handles certain tactics to get a sense of what's actually appropriate.
>>
>>54400586

Depends on the tavern. Some are more interesting than others. It tends to go better when it's that specific group of characters in a specific tavern for an already known specific reason.
>>
>he plays humans
>literally most boring race

Why anon? If you say for the free feat you're a powergamer and should feel bad.
>>
Is Lore Master wizard overpowered?
One of my players wants to play one and all I can see online are people crying about its strength.
>>
>>54401436

Confirmed for part of the problem with "elfgames." Enjoy the next episode of Critical Role.
>>
>>54398736
>the universe is the dream of a comatose god

Wait, is that true about the Shrek universe?
>>
>>54403024
Because in almost every setting they are the most common race and my autism can't stand the adventuring party not having at least one member from the most common race
>>
>>54403024
Because it's fuckin' weird to be wandering the land as a hodgepodge group of random smaller races
>>
>>54401631
I don't necessarily have anything against the changes you're making, but just know that they are very sweeping and you're essentially creating another setting. Make sure your players know that.
>>
File: CuteAnimeGirl.png (113KB, 385x306px) Image search: [Google]
CuteAnimeGirl.png
113KB, 385x306px
>>54402363
>best 5e adventure so far?

HotDQ.
>>
>>54402705
There used to be a main trove hosted on MEGA, but it gets bombed to hell for copyright violations every time it's put up.
>>
Why didn't Volo's give Orcs Relentless Endurance? WHY? WHY DID THEY MAKE ORCS SO SHIT
>>
>>54403024
Because the rest of my group is a Dragonborn, an air Genasi, a Tiefling, and a Half-Elf, all being led/mentored by a Half-Orc and I figure at some point we're going to run into a mostly human settlement where those freaky fucks are going to be looked at funny.

Plus I'm a monk and wanna play Bruce Lee.
>>
>>54403025
It's way broken. I wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>54402363
Lost Mines of Phandelver, if your group had not played it yet. Potent Brew is also good.

If the anime pic didn't tip you off, >>54403105 is trolling, do not believe his lies.
>>
>>54403176
What's the problem exactly?
Is there a way to lower its powerlevel, or is banning it the only way?
>>
Should my Wizard be Elf or Minotaur?
>>
>>54403183
I haven't played one, but from what I've read you can take any 1st level attack spell and make it deal a different damage type each time you cast it. Enemy is resistant to cold? Well now that spell does acid, thunder, or necrotic damage. Also, you can change the saves of spells, so at higher levels things like Banishment and Plane shift can have their saves changed to anything from CON to WIS to CHA. In the hands of a creative, slightly metagamey player it takes a Wizard's level of versatility up to 13.
>>
>>54403236
Minotaur.
Wise old Billy-Goat Wizard
>>
>>54403236
What's your spin on playing Minotaur? Or does your DM give fuckall about alignments?
>>
>>54403287
So far? Got fucking nothing but I noticed they can get an INT bonus and thought the idea seemed cool. My DM is pretty open to changing races that he's never really used to suit our character, so really any idea for a Minotaur would likely work.
>>
Do you have any fun surprises in store for your playgroup, DMs?

One of our players is out for 2 weeks, and I thought I would play a high lethality one-shot for the other two, using NPCs they've interacted with as premade PCs. They invited an mini apocalypse by accident onto an island and barely escaped, now they're going to see how many of their friends they can get off the island. If they survive whoever they have left will stumble their way into the city they're building in the main plot and have bonuses.
>>
>>54403330
I see. I was actually thinking about going with one a while ago and I hadn't fleshed out why my PC was trying to even do it in the first place, but they were attempting to transfer souls or consciousnesses between bodies and he ended up swapping with a minotaur for whatever reason. I don't know if it would have been accidental or not, but I'm sure that you could come up with the reasoning behind all of it as a backstory if you went that route.
>>
>>54403395
Actually, the idea of his master botching a Magic Jar experiment could be interesting. Could always be that the Minotaur got out in my character's body, killed my master and then was slaughtered by some adventurers.

Now I'm trying to find a way to make me a new body.
>>
>>54400845
I always let a Medicine proficient player roll for patching up every party member during short and long rests, so they can heal max HP from Hit Dice or regain more Hit Dice than half of their level.
>>
File: 1499540488669.pdf (927KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1499540488669.pdf
927KB, 1x1px
>>
File: 1500322263754.pdf (182KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1500322263754.pdf
182KB, 1x1px
>>
i need help... next session i want the players to confront a large horde of things (zombies, whatever) and try to escape it. Now, ho do i make this an epic battle for the fighters too ? i mean AOE spells will work but a guy with a sword and one attack will do little. the enemies will not have HP. A hit will kill one. but im wondering how to do this as an exciting battle on the run where they outclass everything but the numbers will just end them
>>
>>54403894
DMG page 272. Maybe give each creature 2-5hp? So whenever the Martial hits they kill creatures equal to their damage roll divided by the HP of the creatures.
>>
How would you run a game like related? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bTe2IHu2Q
>>
My party of 5 plays every other Sunday, but two of our players will be gone. Instead of postponing or rescheduling (we've all seen groups end due to getting off schedule), the idea is to run something different on the week two of us will be gone.

Anybody know of any one shots we can run through in roughly 3.5 hours? Or any ideas for one? Or should I be starting a new thread for this?
>>
>>54398042

Not sure if it constitutes as an 'unconventional build', but there's this idea my buddy had.

It's basically a Barbarian from the wilds, but really sophisticated. His main desire in life is cooking and finding exquisite ingredients. This will also be his ONLY driving force to go on adventures; to find exotic meats/plants/herbs he can use to cook. He will also 'force' his party to taste his recipes, which they will probably find horrible.
>>
I'm playing a necromancer and I just got access to skellies. How should I equip them?
>>
>>54404176
Other Skeletons
>>
>>54403025
It's totally fine, it's just people on the net over reacting
>>
>>54404176
Bows and arrows.
>>
File: Loremaster wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
>>54404189
t. Loremaster
>>
File: Ryu_Tonfa.jpg (126KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ryu_Tonfa.jpg
126KB, 1600x900px
what class would be the best to play something similar to pic related

>uses a fuckton of weapons different weapons: one handed swords, two handed swords, tonfas, claws, nunchakus, shuriken, bow...
>however never fights barehanded
>main STR and DEX
>light armor or no armor
>doesn't use stealth (ironically)
also, technically he also casts some spells, but fuck that
>>
>>54404352
Kensei Monk probably?
>>
>>54404359
unearthed arcana? I'll check it
>>
>>54402896
>As opposed to "literal demons lol"?
If you don't know anything about Tieflings, you're probably not in tieflings' target audience. That said, there's very little that can out-edge >>54402928's scourge or fallen aasimar.
>>
>>54404359
Revised UA Kensei has access to far fewer weapons than the original UA Kensei.
>>
File: 1496325813812.jpg (383KB, 1300x727px) Image search: [Google]
1496325813812.jpg
383KB, 1300x727px
>>54403183
One of the primary limits or constraints on a wizard's spell list (and thus a limit on the wizard's flexibility and power) is A) which damage type a damaging spell does, and B) what save it affects.

For instance, fireball does great damage, but because a disproportionate number of creatures in published works have resistance to fire, a wizard may need to have other things prepared. But the loremaster's 2nd level ability instantly breaks that, giving the ability to change energy type and save types (most enemies will have strong CON but weak WIS/CHA)

Also, other issues:
- The Loremaster's first ability allows him/her to use INT for initiative. Initiative is huge for wizards, as going first can finish entire encounters.
- Alchemical casting is very strong. +2d10 force damage makes magic missile useful across a wider range of situations, and +2 spell save DC is an enormous boon at higher levels. In combination with Spell Secrets, this is absolutely what makes Loremaster broken.
- Also, the 14th level ability is essentially the best aspect of Wish, being able to cast from other class's spell lists.

It's super broken. Now, I'm generally not someone who disallows classes (I was quite a fan of the book of weaboo fighthan magiks, for instance), but Loremaster is pretty high up there on the "probably shouldn't allow a gamey player to take list".
>>
>>54404359
>>54404370
just read the kensei monk, its fucking perfect, thanks

>no heavy property weapon
gñe, I'll have to suck the GM's dick so that he'll let me make an exception and use a greatsword (or just use a longsword with two hands with the versatile rule)

>>54404383
was it nerfed or something?
>>
>>54403052
I think he means the inclusion of anachronisms. Like, he literally said the Shrek influence is the anachronisms, not the comatose god part.
>>
how does double wielding work in this?
>>
>>54404411
Yeah, basically having GWM on a DEX character causes some issues of "Who would ever use STR?".

I'd just use a Longsword in two hands and refluff it as a bigger weapon.
>>
>>54404447
Two weapons with the Light property.
Main hand Attack is an Action
Offhand Attack is a Bonus Action, but doesn't get the addition of your relevant Ability Modifier
>>
>>54404383

To be fair, the original UA Kensai also had the distinction that Kensai Weapons weren't inherently Monk Weapons.
>>
>>54404481
only classes with the two-weapon fighting style can do it?
>>
H-hello 5eggies... wo-would you l-like to p-play my c-campaign...?
>>
>>54403979
>Standard adventuring party has trouble with a purple worm.
I don't know. You could at least refluff a flying carpet as a flying sword, and magic beans as a potion that says "for outdoor use only."
>>
>>54404565
>Animu gurl
No, I wouldn't, stupid shitposter.
>>
>>54404520
Everyone can do it, but two-weapon fighting style makes it viable, as it allows adding the ability modifier to damage.
>>
>>54404520
Everyone can do it. The fighting style just adds the ability bonus to the bonus action attack.
>>
>>54403034
The fact that you perceive "casuals" as a life-ending problem for the game means you need to reevaluate your priorities.

Why do people like you get buttblasted over things like that?
>>
>>54404582
b-baka
>>
>>54404565
>>54404641
Describe the campaign
>>
>>54404565
I would need to hear more, but if picture on your notebook is related, i will probably pass.
>>
>>54398137
Just did this early this year. One of the players had played DD so I changed the terms and kinda hide some of the design. The look on their faces when I made the Gregory offer was, delicious. One of the players was seriously thinking about taking the deal when the other one put down the offer loudly, first player buckled at that point.
>>
File: pyromancer_by_jasontn-d8e42m6.jpg (164KB, 1024x517px) Image search: [Google]
pyromancer_by_jasontn-d8e42m6.jpg
164KB, 1024x517px
Thoughts on Phoenix Sorcerer?
>>
>>54404668
After being abducted by a demon lord and his buttler who took interest in one of the male party members, the party finds themselves waking up in a male brothel that dubs as a nearly never-ending dungeon into another plane. It is up to them to fight, talk and cuddle their way to its depths and defeat this evil charming man or join him
>>
Are there any quirks or 'glitches' in the 5e system which allow you to end up with a theoretical 10th level spell slot? I know there are some methods you can use to restore slots up to a certain point, but I'm curious to see as to whether the only cap on spell slot level is the fact that the spells only go up to 9 anyway.
>>
>>54404780
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>54404780
Sounds fun
>>
>>54404803
There are no 10th level spell slots so far, but a sorcerer could twin a 9th level spell. The only one on their list that's twinnable is PW:K though. Twin Power Word: Kill for when you absolutely, positively have to kill TWO demiliches in one action.
>>
>>54404896
What happens if a half Drow and a half high elf get frisky and conceive a child? Is it lavender-toned?
>>
>>54404965
Ignore the quote, I'm sleepy
>>
>>54404779
It's really shitty for what it is. The phoenix flavour barely factors in, and it's really underpowered, with only one fun ability among its entire kit.
>>
File: fo sho.png (30KB, 600x287px) Image search: [Google]
fo sho.png
30KB, 600x287px
>>54404780
fun
>>
Here's an idea I'm considering using as a houserule: When you invoke your Trait, Bond, or Ideal, you gain "temporary" Inspiration which you must use immediately or lose; when you invoke your Flaw, you gain a point of Inspiration you can bank and use at a later time.

You can still only have one point of Inspiration at a time, but you can invoke temporary Inspiration while your point is banked. Does this sound like something that would encourage players to play up their Flaws more often?
>>
reminder that you shouldn't neglect magical realms by default
if a GM has made a magical campaign, chances are that he has put a lot of love and effort into it and it will be fun
>>
>>54404965
Out of the Abyss actually has a half-drow pop up. I guess if a half-drow and a half-high elf had a child, that child might be able to claim moon elf or wood elf ancestry.
>>
File: Yaranaika dungeon.jpg (123KB, 800x811px) Image search: [Google]
Yaranaika dungeon.jpg
123KB, 800x811px
>>54404780
I am up for this campaign and 100% ready.
Shall we take it to the outhouse?
>>
Which would you say is better? Death or Grave domain? Deity fits both so it's just a matter of picking one
>>
File: appraising an elf's worth 02.gif (223KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
appraising an elf's worth 02.gif
223KB, 600x400px
>>54397851
I'm new to 5e, but not to D&D. I wanted to play an elven paladin who is pretty easygoing, friendly and cheerful and has chosen the path of faith to escape his homosexual urges.
Should I choose the Oath of Devotion or Oath of the Ancients? The latter seems like it would fit a cheerful elf knight, but it doesn't seem like the one he would choose to pursue spirituality above earthly needs. The former however requires honesty and the whole concept of the character is based in denial.
>>
Can you guys think of any weapons that would fit;
>Simple
>1d6 damage
>Finesse
>>
>>54405226
>Deity fits both
>When death and grave are polar fucking opposites

Is this a chaotic-chaotic deity?
>>
>>54405244
Devotion
>>
>>54404780
make a roll20, post the link here and I'll join as long as it isn't this weekend

not kidding
>>
>>54405244
Ancients paladin is the most fitting. You already have resistance to charms so for yourself as nice as the anti-charm aura is it's not as essential.
Also, ancients fits an elf a lot. Elves are typically more naturey and a bit more chaotic which is reflected better in the ancients oath than devotion.

Also, ancients is more of a 'everybody should be happy!' oath whereas devotion is more lawful.

So what you described is essentially a perfect ancient oath paladin.
>>
>>54405309
>>54405244
Also to fit the denial part in you can just have the character insist that 'not being gay' is part of the oath even though it isn't. Or you could call it 'an affront to nature and that it prevents the creation or more life', or..
Whatever.
Really, devotion doesn't have any 'you can't be homosex' in it anywhere.
>>
>>54404780
Sure I'll play with you cute anime girl.
>>
>>54405266
>>54405117
>>54404869
>>54405346
Maybe I'll really do it afraid of bullies though
>>
>>54405375
I'm going to pick a tsundere kensei monk
>>
>>54405338
>Really, devotion doesn't have any 'you can't be homosex' in it anywhere.
The idea is more about it being not accepted in the society or maybe somewhere in the text. A real world analogy would be a man raised in a Christian home discovering he's gay along the way and deciding to become a priest and thus avoid any kind of sexual relations whatsoever, and since homosexuality is treated as a sin in Christian religion, he becomes extra devout to "atone" for it or deflect any suspicion that he is anything but a "holy man".
This is why I'm considering Devotion, as it sounds mystic and monk-like.
>>
>>54405244
>and has chosen the path of faith to escape his homosexual urges.
Roleplaying should be about playing a *different* character than yourself.
>>
>>54405444
But I'm not particularly devout and not exclusively gay
>>
File: IMG_0153.jpg (466KB, 3000x2121px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0153.jpg
466KB, 3000x2121px
As much as I love my bestest friends- and I do- they are also stubborn cocksuckers who want to play 5E despite the campaign having blasters and robots and fucking mecha.

And as much as I'd like to see their faces when they have to stand out in the open like it's the goddamn revolutionary war, because I just word for word replaced the crossbow rules with gun rules; that's still a better joke than it is a solution.

Anybody think I can Frankenstein on some Savage Worlds or GURPSAction cover and firing rules without raping all good sense or balance?
Please help these people want to drive me mad.
>>
File: Armborst_4_Nordisk_familjebok.png (241KB, 604x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Armborst_4_Nordisk_familjebok.png
241KB, 604x1200px
>>54405520
>And as much as I'd like to see their faces when they have to stand out in the open like it's the goddamn revolutionary war, because I just word for word replaced the crossbow rules with gun rules;
Partial cover still exists, and while some crossbows in real life needed to be reloaded while standing there is no stipulation that requires that in 5e.
>>
>>54398013
Glabrezont
>>
>>54405472
Two things:
What thread did you mean to post this on? Because it has nothing to do with the OP
and
You are mostly correct, however, you have obviously not spent much time on Paizo's message boards, because i've seen SJW's demanding trigger warnings for modules containing spiders there. They are real and hellbent on ruining fun, luckily PF is like a natural containment game for them that keeps them from spilling out into better games.
>>
One of my players is rolling a Tabaxi Mystic that's of the tiger variety and Asian-flavored, and brought up that he wanted to worship a god, but "The Cat Lord" was a stupid name and wanted another god. Are there any other deities that would be appropriately thematic?
>>
>>54405569
>i've seen SJW's demanding trigger warnings for modules containing spiders there.
Did Paizo actually add a trigger warning for spiders though? Did they even acknowledge this demand?
>>
>>54405472
I play with like at least 2 lesbians and a trans person, And I don't want the fucking sjws in my fucking games fucking shit up
>>
>>54405590

To my knowledge, there's only one Paizo adventure book with an honest-to-God "trigger warning"-it doesn't involve spiders, and most of the fanbase makes fun of it.
>>
>>54405569
>What thread did you mean to post this on?
Every single one it seems. Just saw it in the Infinity General. I think that's some old pasta.
>>
>>54405520
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/113664363/esper-genesis-heroic-sci-fi-role-playing-for-5e
>>
>>54405590
that one was too silly even for them but i vaguely remember something about SJW's wanting the belt of gender-change not to be considered a cursed item and a dev agreeing with them because "someone might find it beneficial" and later a (i believe) paizo accountant had to remind the dev that's its a cursed item because IT DOESN'T FUCKING ASK YOU IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE, it changes you against your will, hence A CURSE
>>
>>54405472
Oh hey buddy. You have a fun year off?
>>
>>54405583
Not really a god, but maybe "Bai Hu" See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tiger_(China)

Alternatively, Ayyappan is associated with tigers in Hinduism
>>
File: Huh.jpg (40KB, 377x449px) Image search: [Google]
Huh.jpg
40KB, 377x449px
>>54405472
>>
>>54405545
Yeah but there isn't really such a thing as a crossbow with spread. And partial cover doesn't quiiiiite cut it when you have an ED-209-ass peacekeeping bot is stomping toward you.
I suppose I could just give it a shot with standard rules, but I dunno.

>>54405627
Huh. Never even heard about this. Anybody tried it? Is it any good?
>>
>>54405636

Indeed. There's like a 0.1% chance that the person who puts it on will find it a useful item, but the remaining 99.9% will undoubtedly find the experience extremely unpleasant.
>>
>>54405725
I would probably find it interesting for a while, but I guess it would be really shitty with extended use
>>
>>54405636
The obvious solution is to change it so it *does* "ask". Once a day, you are able to change your gender for a 24 hour period (or whatever).
>>
>>54405777
well because of that discussion, there is now a potion of gender change.
>>
>>54405812
I heard there was a paladin who sold her holy avenger to get one, is this true
>>
>>54404396
Thoughts on adapting loremaster into a sorc archetype?
>>
>>54405842
Makes more sense than it being a wizard archetype to me
>>
>>54405834

Untrue. It was a generic, low-level magic sword, rather than a Holy Avenger.
>>
>>54405860
Good, not as retarded as it could be, but Still really fucking retarded
>>
>tfw no cursed choker that changes you into a cute anime girl against your will
>>
>>54398590

I'm re-tooling a Curse of Strahd campaign to be more Castlevania-esque.
>>
>>54405694
>a crossbow with spread.
Wouldn't a shotgun be more like Horde Breaker and less like whatever you've seen in a FPS?
>>
How do I go about playing a Kenku? I feel like I'd need to come up with a page or two of random phrases I can say, along with the voice it's done in, then add more as we play the game
>>
>>54405889
>tfw no panties that change you into a hot futanari against your will
>>
>>54405834
>holy avenger
>>54405860
>low-level magic sword
These sound like euphemisms. Are you speaking in code?
>>
>>54405918
Just buy a helm of telepathy anon, kenku can use telepathy
>>
>>54405902
It was just an example to clarify the different firing mechanisms of different types of firearms, that can't properly feel right to play with when pasted over a crossbow.
>>
>>54405920
what happens if the panties are destroyed while they are still on someone
>>
>>54405918
>>54405939
I've literally never used a kenku as an enemy or pc. What exactly is the issue here? Do they not talk right?
>>
Why would anyone play with XP instead of milestones?
>>
>>54405966
You are a hot futanari until you have sex as a futanari
>>
>>54405992
kenku can only repeat what they have seen or heard, they are cursed to not be able to come up with original ideas.

They are memes taken humanoid form.
>>
>>54406001
Reward players who actually show up
>>
>>54405992
They can only mimic speech they've heard and can't speak words of their own
>>
>>54406011
there's many ways to do that without using XP:
Money
Items
Land
Influence
NPC Favors
Kobold wives
>>
>>54406030
Not without having the buttblasted flakes notice that you're playing favourites.
>>
>>54406041
you think they wont notice when everyone else hits level 8 and they are still on 6?
>>
>>54406045
Of course they will, but they'll know at the back of their mind whose doing it is, and it won't be you.
>>
File: IMG_0998.png (421KB, 853x455px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0998.png
421KB, 853x455px
>>54406030
>wanting to fuck a hermaphroditic lizard woman
>>
DMs how do you typically handle things when a party enters a huge city (Neverwinter/Waterdeep for example.)

I always flub it and kind of describe entering the city, but I never know how to actually handle the size of it.
>>
>>54406050
you vastly underestimate persecution complexes.
>>
>>54406064
As the party approaches the city, have an NPC pause, gaze out into the distance and say "Waterdeep!" before continuing on.
>>
>>54406064
I actually map out the city. Not to the extent I would battlefield- there aren't any colors or anything. But I denote where all the shops are, anything of interest, and try to describe the flavor of the city through interaction, like merchants trying to shovel their shit onto the players
>>
>>54406077
Being a Jew gives you an interesting two-way insight into that shit.
>>
So, D&D Beyond have their release date and pricing info up. They have a free version that will feature ads, will only have SRD content for the character builder, and has a limited number of characters you can build. They have a Hero Tier monthly sub for $3 a month, which gets you no ads, unlimited characters, and publicly shared homebrew content. Then there's a $6 a month sub that gets that for up to 12 accounts, basically a group option.

They'll offer digital versions of all the books, at a price of $30(!) a sourcebook and $25 for modules, though the core books with be on preorder for $20 each. So that's terrible pricing on an individual basis.

The bright side here is that if you have the group subscription, all 12 accounts get any of those books, so you don't have to buy them for each person. That means if you can hook up with 11 other people and each pitch in $5.50, you'll get a month of subscription and all the core books.

So this is awful if you don't know many other players, but has potential if you've got another local group to split the costs with.
>>
>>54406064
I've only handled one major city that the party started in, but I spent like a month worldbuilding the fluff and lore behind it cause I had a lot of prep time. Kind of made it a little too good cause it has very powerful clerics and wizards that sell services, but generally I started with a concept, built a city around it, then went into smaller details likes shops and NPCs. My players have the attention span of a flea so anything I throw in they're floored by when in reality I came up with this dude like four months ago, but generally, top-down is the way to go.
>>
>>54397851
new 5eg discord when
>>
>>54406094
WOTC should hire you for PR because that is some great turd-polishing damage control

But a turd is still a turd, and paying 20+ sheks for each source book that you probably already own and can for sure get for free on the mega is a giant attempt at gouging and totally unjustifiable
>>
>>54406128
Never
>>
>>54406132
I tried my best to call it like it is, the pricing for the digital versions of the books is absurd. I flat out wouldn't consider it unless I had 9 people I could depend on to split the master sub with.
>>
>>54400261
Dude what if you crash into an unknown island in the middle of the wilderness then get attacked by a giant bird that constantly knocks you prone and summons little birds that fucking heal it and attack you and it has a fuckton of hp so the battle takes fucking 10 years even if you don't die hahaha.
https://youtu.be/KRzSxP5I8Ac?t=224
>>
>>54405636
>accountant
Sean K. Reynolds was the one who defended it's cursed status.
>>
>>54406094
Alternatively: You're on the internet and can get all that shit for free.
>>
>>54406192
i must be confusing it with another thread with the devs spouting utter nonsense. There's a lot of them.
>>
>I want to roll insight on this person
>Now I want to roll insight on this other person
>Ok I want to roll insight on this person
How do you deal with a person that tries to insight check everybody
>>
>>54406349
Have them use passive insight
>>
>>54406349
Make a dignitary get pissed and throw them out because the elf kept giving her the stink eye trying to 'figure her out' like a god damn psychopath
>>
>>54406349
Slap her face
>>
>>54404607

I don't mind casuals. I mind laziness. Applying a half-assed solution to a problem created by applying half-assed effort to begin with because "lol, who gives a shit it's just an elfgame" is the essence of someone who wants their gaming spoon fed to them, and who better to do the ladling than the gaming equivalent of sitting on your ass watching MMA matches and telling yourself it makes you a badass.
>>
Can anyone give me a legitimate excuse as to why ranged attacks shouldn't work up close?

If I'm shooting a guy, him giving me a bigger target is not a disadvantage.
>>
>>54406349
Make them describe what they're trying to accomplish with their Insight roll. They should have a valid reason to suspect the character other than metagaming "I bet that adviser is secretly manipulating the king" shit.
>>
>>54406414
Game balance.
>>
>>54406349
>How do you deal with a person that tries to insight check everybody
let them roll, then no matter the result have them find "nothing out of the ordinary"
Of course, with DnD being what it is, ordinary can encompass demons, dragons, magic, fey trickery, etc.
>>
>>54406414
If you are trying to fire at a person's face, they're not just going to stand there and do nothing.
>>
>>54406426
Let me rephrase.

A legitimate in-world excuse.

Your hand shaking because of a close enemy in is not an excuse.
>>
>>54403024
In a world of magic monsters and myth being the one mundane guy in the group is interesting in and of itself.
>>
>>54406414
a guy moving 5 ft at 100ft away requires only a minor adjustment, a guy moving 5 ft at 5ft away requires a big fucking adjustment, plus the difficulty of getting a shot when while someone is trying to hack you to pieces and can bump your bow and ruin your shot with the slightest bit of effort, you may start to understand why shooting someone right next to you may be a tad difficult.
>>
>>54406437
Shooting at a person five feet in front of you shouldn't be any harder than shooting someone fifty feet in front of you. It should be easier, if anything.

I would understand if he was close enough to slap the gun away, but he isn't and the shot is still somehow compromised because of his closeness.
>>
>>54406465
within 5 ft IS close enough to slap the gun away. and you are forgetting that they are constantly in motion, shooting someone 5 ft away while they are trying to not get shot is REALLY FUCKING HARD.
>>
>>54406521
Okay but what if it's a gun
>>
>>54406349
Why is your player asking for dice rolls instead of declaring actions?
>>
>>54406001

XP works better in West Marches/Hexcrawls. Otherwise, none.
>>
Is there a way to make weapon choice/martials more meaningful? I kinda want to give them the manuevers like the battlemaster fighter but I don't want to make that archetype meaningless
>>
>>54406064

I generally have a small open-air market right inside the wall. Makes it easy to slip in exposition and give the party people to ask directions/recommendations from.
>>
What is the best option for a strategist worshiper of the The Red Knight who controls the battlefield? War Cleric or Theurge (War)?
>>
>>54406094
>use beyond because the website layout is pretty good even if the info isn't really complete
>downloaded source material for the stuff they leave out just because
>look up a creature/spell
>403 forbidden, pay up goy
>google the thing I found and get the info
>>
File: shooting things.jpg (81KB, 680x806px) Image search: [Google]
shooting things.jpg
81KB, 680x806px
>>54406556
Same principle, you have to compensate a fuckload more for even the slightest movement. Guns are actually really shitty if the thing you are shooting at is within <10-15ft because the thing you are shooting at is close enough that moving even a little can ruin your shot, or they can just rush up and fucking stab you.

Attached is a picture showing how much more you have to adjust for close/distant targets
>>
>>54404411
>or just use a longsword with two hands with the versatile rule
This is, I believe, the main intention of the subclass. Any monk can Versatile a spear or quarterstaff for d8, so the only reason to use Kensei in melee is for a d10 with Versatile. And longbows, but whatever.
>>
>>54406094
>Have to buy every book you already own to use their content
Nope, why couldn't they just do what they did with the 4e builder it was fucking amazing
>>
What kind of point-buy options exist for buying magic items when you're starting a game at higher level?
>>
>>54406682
none. My group just says "Starting at X level? you get this many uncommons, and this many rares"
>>
>>54406665
actually my plan is to be motherfucking ryu hayabusha
>>
>>54406414

Getting your shot off without getting your shit grabbed is astronomically hard at arms length. People train to pull the gun to their chest and back-pedal till they have room to fire IRL, and that's with modern-day firearms.
>>
>>54404965
I guess it depends on their grandparents. Drow can already be blue to purple, elves can be various shades of brown, and humans come in all shades.
>black male human/drow female paternal grandparents and Asian female human / brown wood elf male maternal grandparents
>>
>>54406592

Study the combat chapter really, really hard and work on strategy, tactics, and terrain because that's where Martials excel. If you're letting every fight go down in an empty field where everyone has line of sight on everyone else it's going to dramatically reduce their decision making compared to other classes, for good or bad.
>>
>>54406697

My group is the same but I pick for them. It just saves so much time that way.
>>
>>54406414
As a reminder, you have disadvantage on ALL ranged attacks when someone is in your face, not just if you target someone in your face.
>>
Hey Tg, let's tinker with Strahd.

>Add Shatterspike sword
>Blade Pact Warlock feature to Conjure his blade whenever
> Vargouille Familiar

Any suggestions for better spell selection?
>>
Everytime I start designing a caster, no matter the level, I always have this thought in the back of my head

"And then a 15th level Cleric casts Anti-magic field and grapples you. You are now dead."

How can I ease my mind of this unhealthy, nagging thought? Make sure all my casters have absurd Acrobatics checks or something?
>>
>>54406936
You aren't the only person in a party
>>
>>54406893
His spell selection is pretty damn devastating. And what's the point of a familiar?

>>54406936
Simple, did YOU take anti-magic field? No? Is it because then you wouldn't be able to cast anything? Congrats, that's why no other caster takes it either. Also, grab a god damn sword or something, jesus christ.
>>
>>54406936
Get gauntlets of ogre power and kick his pussy god-fearing deity-worshipping Pajama wearing, Basket-face, Slipper wielding, clype deep bachle, gather uping blate maw, blethering gomeril Jessie, Oaf-lookin' schtooner, Nyaff plookie shan, Milk-drinking Soy-face shilpit, Mim-moothed, sniveling worm-eyed hotten blaugh, vile stoochie ass
>>
>>54406936
Then a Mind Flayer grapples you. DC whatever int save. You're stunned until it lets go. You are dead. Unless>>54406951.
>>
>>54406999
But secretly you had 20 strength all along :^)
>>
>>54405423
But it still seems a bit of a far stretch for an elf unless you want to be sufficiently 'different'.

Most elves are probably already rangers, druids, rogues or whatever, being a paladin at all is a bit odd for an elf unless you're a half-elf. So you don't have to go the extra mile and go devotion.
>>
>>54406936
Of all the things you could be worried about, a spellcaster casting anti-magic field of all things should be your last worry.

They might as well be casting power word: kill.
>>
Say someone uses an ASI on con, their modifier goes from +2 to +3, would that only effect their health gained past that point or would they go back to their previous levels and improve that hp as well?
>>
>>54406936

Bring Counterspell. And a friend. Ideally a friend who knows Counterspell. Also, given the actual range on AMF every single part of Mage Slayer works against it.
>>
>>54407095

In 5e it applies retroactively. PHB177, "If your Constitution modifier changes, your hit point maximum changes as well, as though you had the new modifier from 1st level."
>>
>>54407019
Party reveal: The two handed great sword wielding buff guy that never visibly casted a single spell was actually a sorcerer with subtle spell all along
>>
>>54407172
stone sorc here i come!
>>
>>54406978
It's a Pact of the Chain familiar. It harasses and spies on the party throughout the campaign, it attacks and does the help action during combat, and if it's something that even if they kill, Strahd just brings back

It's also got some terrain manipulating features, triggering glyphs of Warding at nasty inoportune moments and feeding healing potions on downed allies
>>
What makes Lost Mines of Phandelver good?
>>
>>54407358
Barovia is filled with Strahd's spies, every man, woman, child, dog, cat, etc could be one of Strahd's spies.
>>
Rolled 1, 15, 1, 6, 1, 11 = 35 (6d20)

Thread is dead and on page 9. Time for some stat rolling. Let's try for a nice Barbarian
>>
>>54407794
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>54407794
fug :DDDDDD
>>
Rolled 13, 6, 20, 20, 17, 18 = 94 (6d20)

>>54407794
Haha time to roll for stats
>>
>>54407831
Impressive.
>>
Rolled 17, 2, 1, 2, 4, 15 = 41 (6d20)

go go Warlock
>>
>>54407876
I guess you have the charisma for it, but not much else
>>
Rolled 9, 8, 18, 1, 1, 10 = 47 (6d20)

hmm
>>
>>54407896
for a coma patient, you're not half bad.
>>
Rolled 2, 16, 5, 20, 11, 1 = 55 (6d20)

What will I roll?
>>
>>54406999
>gauntlets of ogre power
>in an antimagic field
>>
>>54407938
A wheelchair-bound yet strangely nimble wizard with no social graces.
>>
Rolled 7, 9, 4, 10, 4, 8 = 42 (6d20)

Rollan for whatever. Give me something clever, rngesus.
>>
>>54408009
You are an asthmatic and incredibly mediocre Wizard with a notable lack of common sense.
>>
Rolled 1, 17, 6, 2, 10, 6 = 42 (6d20)

Time to roll
>>
Rolled 19, 4, 12, 19, 14, 4 = 72 (6d20)

>>54408041
Such a wizard needs an equally incompitant assistant.
>>
>>54406399
>DM's map isn't a perfectly realistic example of possible geographical formations
>REEE muh autism doesn't let me enjoy the game
Maps don't have to make sense beyond a certain point bucko. You don't have to perfectly craft every aspect of a universe because what productive adult honestly has time for that? Unless your literal job is world building, like an author or game dev or some shit.
>>
>>54408113
>>54408113
>>54408113
new thread
>>
>>54408081
You're a Druid who spends all his time sitting around communing with Nature because he's too dumb and weak to do anything else.
>>
>>54408100
The assistant is the true wizard, carrying his geriatric employer around and pretending the old man is doing things.
>>
>>54408110

I don't care that your map isn't scientifically accurate. I do care that your attitude is "fuck it it's just an elfgame no one can make me care I'm the DM rocks fall time for Acquisitions Incorporated C-Team anyway."
>>
>>54405247
there is only dagger that is under both simple/finesse.

May I ask why?
>>
>>54409191

The dagger is basically meant to have all the traits so it's always the right answer for anyone, but at the cost of 1d4 damage. The bigger the damage dice, the more you have to specialize.
>>
>>54409237
looks like you're going martial then, yeah?
>>
>>54406349
enforce a rule that players never ask for a specific skill check, they just describe what their character is trying to do. Then the DM narrates the result, asking for a skill check only if they think it is necessary.

>this is how the book says to do it
>makes it easier for new players to act without having to know all the rules about skills
>makes it easier for the DM to hand out auto-success for trivial tasks, or auto-failure for things that should be impossible
>makes it harder for players to metagame spam perception checks and insight checks. It's still possible if they're cunts, but you can just not ask for a roll if it's a waste of your time.
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.